[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Revenge of the Horde Edition

>UA: Travelers of the Multiverse
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_TravelersoftheMultiverse.pdf

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>82310372

What are the best 3rd party supplements for 5e?
>>
>>82317921
Any supplemental DM material since the core DMG is garbage, but especially Sly Flourish's Return of the Lazy DM
>>
>DMing Curse of Strahd for a party of five
>decided to make the card readings personal, one for each member
>Paladin was told about the Sunsword, Cleric was told about the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, Wizard was told about the Tome of Strahd, Rogue was told about the ally and Sorcerer about where to find Strahd
>group has found the two sources of sunlight, and the Wizard is hyped to find "his" item soon
>I know he will be disappointed when he finds that it is a fucking diary

Would it be too much, too little or just enough if it also contained the Wizard spells that Strahd has prepared? Apart from the obvious benefit of being able to copy the spells, it might also help the party to know which spells Strahd can cast.
>>
>>82318361
Sounds like a cool idea to me.
>>
>>82318361
sounds cool
giving different hints to different players is a great idea too, having everyone feel like they contribute with their own thing kinda
>>
>>82318361
Sounds like a cool flavorful way to reward the wizard. I don't remember his spell list exactly, but I don't think there are too many bombshells or rituals that would make your wizard OP by copying.
>>
>>82318423
Tell me about it. Whenever a player has been unable to make a session, I have either fed them a tiny piece of a plot hook or even made a "meanwhile in X" session for that one player. The first 20 minutes of this week's session was just the players, in character, telling each other what they had learned.
>>82318424
Lazy copy and paste.

1st level (4 slots): comprehend languages, fog cloud, sleep

2nd level (3 slots): detect thoughts, gust of wind, mirror image

3rd level (3 slots): animate dead, fireball, nondetection

4th level (3 slots): blight, greater invisibility, polymorph

5th level (1 slot): animate objects, scrying
>>
File: 1587445833011.jpg (52 KB, 758x644)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>82317741
1-20
>>
>>82318361
You can give him the Baba Lysaga spells,she has higher level spells and its more fitting to a Wizard
>>
>>82318563
The Wizard is only 5th level and has delayed learning Fireball because he wanted to copy it from Victor Vallakovich (not to mention the Wizard is an evoker), but then they got thrown out of Vallaki. I think Strahd's list will be perfectly satisfactory for him.
>>
File: Bugbear Spearhunter.jpg (61 KB, 804x708)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>82317921
>Revenge of the Horde
Is it that book with ridiculously sexy Bugbear?
>>
How quickly would a hemp rope covered in alchohol take to burn? 1 foot per minute? I want to use it as a makeshift fuse.
>>
>>82318864
Wouldn't the fire fist travel on the surface before starting to actually burn through the rope?
>>
>>82319015
Fair point. How long would a plain hemp rope take to burn?
>>
Would you allow a depressed character to commit suicide in-game?
>>
>>82319151
I've allowed non-depressed characters to commit suicide, why would I make an exception?
>>
>>82317921
I do very much like the ultimate bestiary line. Revenge of the horde has my favorite take on Stat blocks for those races. I've used the hobgoblins an actual army for a west March server and between 3 sessions ran 20 PCs though combating the army and attacking the general. Each session had roughly 6 people each and technically ran simultaneously to make one big battle.

Haven't had the chance to make use of the dreaded accursed fully but there are a lot of good options and variants.
>>
>>82319168
How did it die?
>>
>>82319151
No, but that’s because I use this hobby to escape from reality and have fun with my friends.
I want heroes and villains, so I avoid rape, suicide and other such things when I DM.
If you no longer want to play your charcter you should speak with your DM.
>>
>>82318669
If all bugbears looked like that Orcs would have been replaced with Goblinoids in all campaigns
>>
My party has a ton of NPC friends & armies and are about to full charge onto their weakened foes. I've got three ideas as to make this run a bit smoothly
>1) Let the players control some of the NPCs & armies in the battle
>2) Have the NPCs and Armies fight the weakened fodder foes while the party breaks through the ranks and gets to the boss
>3) Because its such a hard stomp for the players, we could skip the whole fodder phase by just explaining what happens and instead go straight to the boss with the NPCs, army, and players ready to crush the remaining boss
What do you guys think I should do?
>>
>>82319151
I don't see why not if it fits your table, but it's a bit real for an escapist fantasy game imo.
>>
>>82319177
in Pathfinder's Rise of the Runelords, there is a haunted house. Some of the haunts have the PC relive an event, one of these events was a suicide by knife to the throat, for which the target is basically doing a coup de grace against themself and thereafter make a fortitude save to resist instant death
the PC, a half-orc monk, picked up the knife, rolled ridiculously well on the damage (2d4 + 2xSTR because coup de grace is a free crit), and a nat 1 on the fortitude save

the players, contrary to what they remember, did not bring the corpse home
>>
Does the Protector Eldritch Cannon's temp hit points really just stick until used up or a rest? It doesn't have a duration listed. It doesn't say the effect goes away once it's dead either.
>>
>>82319276
>Unless a feature that grants you temporary hit points has a duration, they last until they're depleted or you finish a long rest.
-phb, page 198
>>
>>82319276
Yes, it's extremely good at early levels.
>>
>>82319258
Split the battlefield into a number of sections with different things going on in each. The party decide which area or areas in which they will aid the battle (presumably they will choose to go after the big bad) while other areas have rough outcomes decided by you rolling in the background. Their choice of target will influence how difficult their own fight is, but also have an impact on the wider battle (for example if they go after the leader, he will be too busy to coordinate his forces effectively, lowering the DC required by "the good guys" to attain victory against the enemies in their area).

This gives the party a decent amount of agency and impact on the fight without it turning into a ten hour slugfest
>>
>>82319313
I know the baseline rule about temp HP, I just thought it was weird this thing will just let you give your whole party a shit ton of temp HP every rest. So I thought maybe the resource I was reading it from was missing wording.
>>
>>82319336
Artificers are fucking retarded, more news at 11.
>>
>>82319336
Well it's choosing to do that or have bonus action 2d8 damage every turn (though you could always expend a spell slot to get both in a single day)
It falls off harder than the other 2 though, especially after level 9 when the other 2 get more damage.
>>
Rate my homebrew magic item:
>StabSword
>Twohanded sword in both senses of the word. Instead of a blade it has two arms holding knives stretching out from it's hilt.
>When you swing this sword both arms stab furiously at the enemy. Each successful attack you make counts as two dagger attacks. (1d4+Str/Dex each)
>You can never be proficient with this weapon.
>>
>>82319330
The number of enemy forces isn't big enough to have that many different points. The enemies have 4 Swarms of Soldiers and one Boss the Party has 9 Swarms of Soldiers, 13 NPCs, and 6 Players. The Players hard out number them, out skill them, and could basically just roll up in there and kill everything without any worries. They earned this victory as they've heavily weakened the opposing forces and been working hard at making companions to aid in their settlement, so I'm fine with this being as hard a beatdown as it could be. I just wouldn't want this to take more than an hour and a half or so.
>>
File: ginny di.png (226 KB, 400x412)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>82317921
I want to force Ginny Di into a mating press and impregnate her.
>>
How do you actually run a Mimic encounter? I'm a shit DM

First the whole surprise factor seems delicate and relies a lot on the players' exact words. Say there's a chest mimic in a room, you do a good job and it's genuinely not suspicious (its not, like, an empty room with a chest in the center or something). You describe the chest, and a player asks if it's locked.
Do you say:
>Testing the lid of the chest, you find your hands stick where you placed them, the chest opens itself revealing...
>Wait DM I never said I was touching it, it's a Mimic?

or:
>There's no visible lock
>So it's not locked?
>Uh, uh, ummm are you touching the chest
>Oh so it's a Mimic?
It seems if I were to ask HOW they were interacting with it it gives the game away, and if I assume how they interact with it it's unfair. So unless they naturally say something that wouldn't be relevant unless it's trapped or a Mimic I'm stuck.

Then, once everyone's had their surprise, it's a 5e combat against a single opponent, which is never fun. Just surround, optionally disable, and bash. Boring.

Somehow I can't see a way around either of these, where am I going wrong?
>>
>>82319258
Option two seems to the most interesting gameplay wise, since it lets them still get a boss fight out of it.
>>
>>82319564
>Wait DM I never said I was touching it
"You asked if it's locked and you have no other way to check, so yes, you are in fact touching it."
Problem solved.
>>
>>82319511
I would suspect it's too bursty for low-level games and the downside is too big for high-level games. It's kind of funny but it's a meta joke. Put it in it's home in the Rick and Morty dungeon.
>>
>>82319529
Oh, then two, or three with maybe some lip service to two
>>
>>82319564
you don't say shit until they test it. And give it a visible lock, something to entice the rogue into range
>>
>>82319598
That makes sense, but if I were that player I'd be fuckin Mad. I'd be "This DM sucks, let's play board games instead" mad. Is that really the only way?
>>
>>82319564
Just ask them what they do normally and base realistic consequences off their actions like >>82319598 says. Don't be overly specific but put your foot down on backtracking on things if the players don't specifically say they do them. This is a shitty two way street which can lead to DM gotcha behaviour like players not specifically saying that they check the ceiling fro traps so miss it even though they rolled a 24 Perception check.
>>
>>82319644
That's helpful, thank you.
But then what about the ensuing shitty fight?
>>
>>82319649
if they don't say something like "I attempt to use a 10' pole to force open the lid", how else would you discover it's locked than by attempting to open it
>>
>>82319649
>I'd be "This DM sucks, let's play board games instead" mad.

Little bitch behaviour.
>>
>>82319661
>This is a shitty two way street which can lead to DM gotcha behaviour like players not specifically saying that they check the ceiling fro traps so miss it even though they rolled a 24 Perception check.
the PHB specifically mentions that they don't see something if they aren't looking in its direction, no matter how high the roll
>>
>>82319575
>>82319609
Two it is, thanks.
>>
>>82319667
tell him if he's going to act like he has the emotional maturity of a preteen modern disney fangirl we can always play the my little pony RPG
>>
>>82319675
True indeed, but Mimics are such an iconic monsters. It's weird that little bitch players, who make up the majority, can enjoy all the other iconic monsters but can't enjoy Mimics
>>
>>82319667
You're really overthinking it, man. If you want to do it, just fucking do it and have faith that your players won't act like little bitches about one of the most well known gotchas in the hobby. If you're too nervous about fucking it up, then don't do it. Personally I would lean towards the former option because then at least you tried. Party will probably stomp it anyway
>>
>>82319684
Facing isn't a thing in 5e, everyone has 360' vision
>>
Help me select the "correct" dragon type for what I want

i'm making not-merlin's tower & want it to be protected by an ancient Dragon who was once not-merlin's pet & guards the place as both their hoard, but also due to an oath.
It should enjoy military & magic, but primarily enjoy the hoard as an immeasurable trove of knowledge like alexandria or wan shi tong's lib.
It acts as a Lord in the local area both out of bordum, enjoyment interacting with mortals & to keep the tower a secret.
What dragon am I looking at? Silver? Saphire? Brass?
>>
>>82319705
facing in combat and investigation are two different things
>>
>>82317921
Can a shambling mound that engulphed a PC keep attacking the player while he’s inside?
>>
>>82319649
>Problem solved.
Yeah, shit player gets out of my game, I carry on. Problem solved.
>>
>>82319718
Sounds like a silver dragon to me
>>
Thanks for answering my mimic questions anons.
>>
>>82319564
Mimic chests are too obvious at this point, try a bookcase or armoire or something appropriate to the environment you are in. Metagaming or no, one lonely chest at the end of a corridor or in an unassuming room is suspicious AF.
>>
>>82319725
An engulfed creature has total cover from effects originating outside of the creature, such as an attack from the engulfing creature
>>
>>82319564
"Is it locked"
"You can check"
"I check"
"You grab the lid of the chest and give it a hard tug and shake, its lid opens and shuts slightly with resistance. Your hands are glued to it"
"Huh?"
"You hear a hissing & smell decay as the lid creeps open and-"
>>
>>82319737
What decision have you come to?
>>
>>82319758
Thanks!
>>
>>82319718
silver or brass, leaning on brass for the military aspect
>>
>>82319812
I think something like >>82319763 is perfect for setting it up, and I've been making a mistake by not waiting for the players to explain how they're doing things in general. I also think the fight is never going to be great in 5e, so I won't use them unless the surprise is worth sitting through the battle (so no overplayed chest or door Mimics) or if I can mix up the fight midway through, e.g. by having baddies they avoided before show up to investigate the noise. Overall they seem overhyped but maybe they can be run better than I thought.
>>
>>82319564
>Have a gelatinous cube
>Put a chest in it
>Adventurers kill the cube
>Chest falls out
>Adventurers try to open the chest
>Chest is a mimic
>Adventurers kill the mimic
>It vomits up a gigantic mass of black slime in its death throes
>Slime is a black pudding
>Adventurers kill black pudding
>A canoloth leaps out of its remains
>>
>>82319564
if the players are not poking lid open by 11 ft pole standing sideways to the chest they full well deserve whatever is coming
>>
>>82320048
I've seen a few encounters like this (the Rick and Morty dungeon has a Mimic chest on a Mimic pedestal on a Mimic floor) but have always wondered why tongue in cheek self-parody of these encounters is more popular than playing them straight.
>>
>>82319695
I meant the combat with the revealed mimic, if you have tips for that. Lol not the fight with my friend, my bad I should have been clearer.
>>
>>82320072
Because the treasure chest trying to eat you has become ubiquitous in terms of adventurer gotcha moments. Personally, I just like the idea of a matryoshka doll of suffering as an encounter. But if you're looking to play a mimic completely straight, think about the ecological niche that mimics occupy. Perhaps there's a group of rust monsters in the area that feed off of the equipment that the mimic regurgitates. Maybe there's a swarm of stirges that clean off the excess blood of its victims.
>>
>>82320072
>trick becomes too well known
>have to up the ante to make it even trickier so it can still trick people
>>
>>82320048
I would love this kind of shit as a player
>>
>>82319151
No and I'd probably kick the player too.
>>
>>82320048
>>A canoloth leaps out of its remains
It all made sense until this. How or why would a canoloth come from a black pudding?
>>
>>82320440
Yeah you'd need to have the canoloth earlier in the chain. It's in the mimic and spits up the pudding. There's not much that could come out of the pudding's remains by its nature. Perhaps a flying sword. With a ghost possessing it.
>>
File: 1580257071793.jpg (159 KB, 768x768)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>82320506
That's how I thought it would work. I wasn't sure if there was some quirk to black pudding I was missing. Can't wait to put my players through this.
>>
>>82320506
Dancing sword with the unbreakable trait
>>
semi new dm, opening my next session with an "investigation" which is something i've never done. right now i've got clues in mind & thinking of using 4e skill challenge ideas from dungeon dudes & coville.
Any advice for running a good investigation?

morning after an undead attack in a low fantasy world, character players promised to protect got taken for sacrifice by a necromancer, although they don't know anything other than they're missing & wtf undead are just stories to scare children
>>
>Animate Dead
How "smart" is your zombie/skeleton? What orders can you actually give them and they truly follow them to the T?
>>
>>82320961
6 int skeletons
>>
>>82320961
They're as dumb as monster undead if you give them an order and leave them to it, but as long as you constantly use your bonus action every round you have full control (with the restriction that they all do the same thing)
>>
>players tell me they muted my music bot
>don't give me any feedback on what songs they like or don't like
fucking plebs. This is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVwstM4vZC8
>>
File: 20211125_151641.jpg (58 KB, 798x644)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>82321308
>>
>>82321308
fucking cringe
>>
>>82321308
your players are low int fucks. I would never mute the music even if I didn't like it. If the DM specifically picked that track, then there is something in it the DM is trying to convey and possibly clue me in on the significance of the moment. I would say -
*listens to the the music posted*
oh... never mind.
>>
>>82321356
I quit smoking three years ago but this pic really had me jonesing for a bit there
>>
>>82321308
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Enjoy rolling around in everyone else's garbage, Anon
>>
>>82321308
I'm as much a giant weeb as I am a dnd nerd but this is utter and complete garbage, I wouldn't just mute this 'music', I'd mute your entire campaign
>>
>>82320779
If you want an investigation to feature as actual content in a session there should be little, or no, rolling at all. If the players are playing along by following the trail of breadcrumbs don't put something important behind a dice roll that they may fail at. Rolling investigation is kind of "my character figures out what to do without getting me involved in the particulars" and that isn't what you are going for here.
>>
>>82321448
>>82321411
>>82321359
>>82321382
>>82321356
>Implying any of you have better battle music
>Implying you aren't just hating it because >muh weebshit is le bad
>>
>>82321476
>Implying any of you have better battle music
My battle music is fucking fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC0P2Nh-mP4
>>
>>82321476
I just admitted to being a connoisseur of korean cartoons, and yet I still hate the ear aids you gave me by linking that crap.

Stop cooming to anime girls and find some proper fucking music you doofus. Your players are 100% in the right.
>>
>>82321476
I dislike it because it is probably the most generic, uninspired anime battle track I have ever heard. If I had to guess I'd say it's from a bad visual novel

That being said I would absolutely love to know what about your campaign made you choose that track other than the fact that you loke it because you evidently have awful taste.

>>82321505
I liked this once it going but it takes too long to warm up
>>
>>82321476
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Heroes of Might and Magic IV soundtrack - the battle tracks convey the appropriate mood without being too fast-paced or intrusive.
https://youtu.be/rNxUvXmqroQ
>>
>>82321476
https://youtu.be/PbisEUVq0UQ
>>
>>82321521
>I liked this once it going but it takes too long to warm up
You're right. I usually edit tracks and make them into loops to fit better for session music. I just didn't have any of my edits uploaded to share.
>>
>>82321476
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pNEter-ak
ezpz
>>
>>82321476
can't see any of the encounters on any official d&d released adventures with that music on the background. Sounds like youre pushing your autism on to your players, which had them reacting properly. They just muted it.
>>
>>82321476
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61oFE03ZFAY
>>
>>82321528
>lyrics in the background music
Unacceptable. Can't listen to this, you won't even hear your players.
>>82321527
way too slow. I can see this as casual background music while travelling.
>>82321553
>criticize me for anime shit
>post more anime shit
>>82321621
see above. This is also very boring and too light. You wouldn't even notice it's there.
>>
>>82321637
there's lyrics in bgm in blockbuster movies all the time and i trust those guys a lot more than i trust some random fuckoff on 4chan

just admit that you have shit taste and let's all move on
>>
>>82321665
buddy. I love clutch and I love background music in my games. But that combination isn't it. They don't vibe together.
>>
>>82321637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4XOZeJb2ZQ
>>
>>82321476
use the good weeb shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lNZ_Rnr7Jc
>>
Are Tasha's summon spells actually any good when cast at 3rd level?
Kinda seems like without multiattack you're better off just casting a fireball.
>>
>>82321747
>vocals
>shitty edm
>in a game about killing goblins
>>
>>82321795
it's more damage that doesn't take any kind of action, so of course it's good. it takes a comparison of what other concentration spell you might be using with a given class to get a good comparison because that's the thing you'd be using instead.
>>
>>82321795
well let's see
>against one target
>fireball is 28 damage once
>summon undead is 13 damage a turn
>in the hands of a level 6 necromancer, the damage is 16 per turn
so you can expect to deal about the same damage after two rounds of combat against a single target, while a necromancer does decisively more in two rounds. keep in mind that the summons last for an hour and you should expect to get more than one combat out of them. in a situation where you're being accosted by hordes of weak creatures, the fireball does better, but that is a situation practically tailor made to suit specifically fireball and other aoe spells like it
>>
Apart from dealing normal damage to specifically resistant enemies, is there any quality that a magic weapon gains specifically by virtue of being magic? An increase to durability, something like that?
>>
Are 2 extra sorcery points worth the feat for a sorcerer?
>>
Does a creature killed by finger of death reanimate with the zombie stat block? My character killed a werewolf alpha with it
>>
>>82321908
there's also the fact that it is reasonable to assume with a spell of a duration of an hour it should be fairly trivial to cast the spell before combat starts. so that turn that you cast fireball you could have tossed a cantrip for more damage instead. this means it probably reaches parity with fireball against a single target in only one turn, and will still probably outdamage it in combats with two or three creatures over the duration of the combat
>>
>>82321990
Indeed so. Rust monsters, for example, can only corrode non-magical equipment.
>>
File: Unholy 5e.png (602 KB, 610x628)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
>>82322008
>A Humanoid killed by this spell rises at the start of your next turn as a Zombie that is permanently under your command, following your verbal orders to the best of its ability.
Yes, yes it does.
>>
>>82322014
>Rust monsters, for example, can only corrode non-magical equipment.
Source??? Are you telling me I was playing wrong for 23 years?
>>
>>82322053
Literally the first 3 words of its rust metal ability are "Any nonmagical weapon", Anon. I'm sorry
>>
>>82322053
Not necessarily for 23 years, but for however long you've played 5e, certainly.
>Rust Metal: Any nonmagical weapon made of metal that hits the rust monster corrodes.
>Antennae: The rust monster corrodes a nonmagical ferrous metal object it can see within 5 feet of it.
In 3rd Edition, they could instantly destroy nonmagical metal, but magic equipment could make saving throws against the effect.
>>
>>82322001
the extra metamagics are good too
>>
My warlocks keeps hoarding their spells because we don't get many short rests. This leads to them literally just Eblasting every turn. Is there anything I can do, as a party member, to encourage them to use their resources? I'm running out of spells before them as a full caster, because I often have to pick up the slack.
>>
>>82322204
How many shorts rests we talking between long ones?
>>
>>82322204
Encourage more short rests from the party so that the character who is reliant on them to not be a cantrip machine is more cavalier with their slots.
>>
>>82322204
>character plays eb turret
>everyone is shocked when they act like an eb turret
what's the issue, exactly?
>>
During dungeons, usually one. Sometimes two. We often hit the short rest with the warlocks having all spell slots up.
>>
>>82322204
tell your dm to let warlocks use spell points
>>
>>82322310
Meant to reply to this >>82322249
>>
>>82322310
Just keep motivating them to spend spell slots. Unless they get annoyed by it, in which case, live and let live.
>>
>>82321476
I blast ozar midrashim whenever Strahd shows up, my players love it. The beginning is very easily recognizable, they go "oh shit" every time

https://youtu.be/YNWSDvDqm9g
>>
>>82321521
>>82321511
Still not seeing any real feedback against it. "Its bad because its... uh... Generic?"
I'm willing to listen, but you all are apparently not willing to speak.
>>
>>82322411
While a player was running late and the DM was controlling them I had them cast fireball since we have no other AoE. It hit 7 targets and chunked the fuck out of them. When the player came back he was pissed I had used one of their slots.
>>
>>82322424
It's bad because it makes me want to shove an icepick in my ears.

Are you really so autistic the vast majority of people do not appreciate your cheap garbo tunes?
>>
>>82322412
>ozar midrashim
gigabased
>>
>>82322424
Look Anon, music is like food - you can't control what your tastebuds like just like you can't control what sounds nice to your ears. It just so happens that everyone here thinks that what your ears like is fucking garbage, and so does your table.

Generic is valid as criticism, though. Music is meant to evoke some kind of emotional response as a result of the composer's creativity.
>>
>>82322458
I dunno man, I used to be a bit of a resource hoarder until I started playing roguelikes, it takes some experience to understand that "if you don't use it, you lose it"
>>
>>82321476

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tt6JTj1e5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sILRdT7MppA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOSfmbLs1Zw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssixb0g3hog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkuM-ElM50Q&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOL0ItCX-m0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxu5lhnow4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dc9dLQoazU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phKNEvqw-rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGii05yILI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwnDmbF49HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlF0-Qs2xkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpgwlQZntI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29jf_smLrdI&t=239s
>>
>>82321476
anon, just because the music is good doesn't mean the music is appropriate, especially if you use it too often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQ0WFMFYLY&t=41s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4ItRQwmYM&t=31s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CVVvG2k2uc
is great to incite panic or worry, probably high threat levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYULvmnJd2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMAnsDWb8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRrSMx-ouY
this is a nice steady beat, probably low threats levels

what were you trying to get across with Touhou's upbeat fast pace music?
>>
>>82322678
>zelda
>not the superior Genshin Impact
>>
>>82322794

>doesn't bother to post any Genshin himself

makes you think
>>
>>82322783
I was intentionally shitposting so I could ask for battle music recommendations indirectly. Last time I just asked "what are your favorite battle themes" I got 2 replies. Look at the goldmine that came from this.
Don't tell anyone else though, ok?
>>
Friendly reminder that is doesn't matter what God your pc decided to follow in character creation. If you want that bless, you'll have to pay 25gold so I can cast ceremony and get you under my gods services.

You HAVE to play clerics as an extortionist working for the mafia.. I mean pantheon.
Health care isn't even free in America. Its not gonna be free 5e.
>>
>>82322827
>Friendly reminder that is doesn't matter what God your pc decided to follow in character creation.
I enforce this rule strictly, spells cast by clerics don't work on people without any kind of faith. They don't need to actively worship their god but they do need to have it.

If they don't have a god, no type of resurrection works. Not even revivify, reincarnation, or wish.
>>
>>82322800
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZLtrh1Pao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zyw9ctc40g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGP8NUtyPg
I'll post more later.
>>
>>82322827
Bless is honestly overrated. 1d4 on a single roll per turn isn't very substantial, even on 3 people.
>>
File: 1631322018939.png (31 KB, 462x221)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>82322935
You're confusing bless for guidance

bless is very much substantial.
>>
>>82322880
If I revive you, I'm your new dad. You worship my god and follow their doctrine.
We brought you back into this world, we can put you back too.

Maybe they should if made cleric squishier so they have to rely on their party members or something but I'm pretty self sufficient
>>
>>82322935
>single role
it's every attack roll and saving throw, which includes concentration checks.
>>
>>82321476
We posting boss music?
>https://youtu.be/jCqaPgt0fec
>https://youtu.be/vjmyEZwklYs
>https://youtu.be/R3LSJJEAgNc
>https://youtu.be/F2KdWM5MG1Q
>https://youtu.be/b2EtL4htXqs
>https://youtu.be/QznTBSruuMM
>https://youtu.be/C8-FnLJxiPI
>https://youtu.be/gku4V5IhZ-M
>>
>>82322962
You need to collect the soul from somewhere and if the player didn't have a god, there is nowhere to collect it from. Not even your god can save them.

They belong to the Asmodeus and the wall.
>>
>>82322935
My barb who attacks 4 times a turn loves bless.
When we got feared. Bless saved the day and broke everyone out of the condition.
>>
>>82322813
Guess we didn't succeed the insight check huh?
>>
My Necromancy Wizard/Glamour Bard puts the "rave" in "graveyard"
My Necromancy Wizard/Glamour Bard puts the "disco" in "disconcerting"
>>
>>82322204
Have you ever considered that you're an retard, anon-kun?
>>
>>82323240
>disco
>not concert
Disappointing.
>>
File: 20211125_181051.jpg (57 KB, 630x630)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Can't spell "Bard" without "Bad"
>>
File: EvgBSwGWQAE40LV.jpg (88 KB, 564x1200)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
What do you usually bring in when a player casts Planar Ally, /5eg/? Angels and devils are pretty obvious choices for good and evil, but what about the neutral dinguses?
>>
>>82323297
You also can't spell bard without rad.
>>
>>82323348
I want to have sex with this yugioh character
>>
>>82321308
>>82321476
anon... as much as i love 2who and its music, this shit is whack as fuck for battle music
>>
>>82323438
It was a trick, anon. >>82322813
>>
>>82322204
Start making an effort for short rests.
I'm sure with the right invocations their eb probably contributes more than most martials though.
Think of it like this. They csdt hold person and the enemy saves. That's half their slots for the day used up.
>>
>>82323418
That's a hundred gp per minute, anon.
>>
>>82323446
>>82323438
Study my techniques. Learn to use the system to your advantage. A Wise person is one who knows there's always more to learn.
>>
>>82323462
Sure. Here's 1000 gp. I didn't want to revive the monk anyways.
>>
>>82323489
No joke. I had one revivify slot left. 2 dead players.
Had a fun afterlife auction. 3 campaigns later and the other player is so salty they insta pick cleric every campaign.
>>
Playing a Way of the Long Death Monk tomorrow. Am I in for a boring time? I've played casters so long I just want to bonk things.
>>
>>82323800
>monk
Oof.
>>
>>82322964
Are you sure? That's not what my DM says
>>
>>82323910
your DM is full of shit
>Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends
if it was meant to only be on attack, it would say something similar to peace cleric's bond
>While any bonded creature is within 30 feet of another, the creature can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw it makes. Each creature can add the d4 no more than once per turn.
>Each creature can add the d4 no more than once per turn.

your DM is full of shit, or modified the spell in session zero and talked to everyone about it, right?
>>
>>82323939
He modified the spell when I used it during a boss battle and he said it's 1 roll per turn for balance reasons. Coincidentally I have not used the spell again since it fucking sucks cock
>>
>>82324048
yes, your DM is full of shit.
>>
>tribe of awakened apes
>Buried undersea temple
>Ancient tribal curse over entire island
What other fun things can I add to a tropical jungle Island?
>>
>>82323800
Not especially. If you were playing Champion Fighter, you'd be in for a boring time, but you'll have plenty of fiddly bits to keep you busy.
>>
>>82323800
Bring a basket of cute little kittens to always have temporary hit points on hand.
>>
>>82323800
beg your dm for tasha's optional features.
>>
How often does prostate stimulation come up in your sessions?
About once every session for my table
>>
File: e88.gif (4.81 MB, 298x360)
4.81 MB
4.81 MB GIF
>>82324088
A mad scientist creating a mutant army in a bid to take over the world.
>>
How come only monks can bonus attack punch with unarmed? They already have flurry of blows to differentiate them. My fighter should be able to punch as a bonus action too. Two hands, two weapons, twin weapon fighting.
>>
>>82322891
I won't post more but aren't these 3 pretty great? A lot of the Zelda ones were just filler. Quality over quantity, after all.
>>
>>82324234
Anon, just... let the monks have it. They already have so little.
>>
>>82324234
I’d allow it if you were using a light mainhand weapon.
But then, wouldn’t having a light offhand weapon always be better?
>>
>wizard obtains a cloak of spell resistance.
>says he doesn't want it and hands it to my halfling monk
>level 14 and I have amazing saves
>max dex, 18 wis, 16 con
>can' t frightened
>can end charm as an action
>immune to poison
>evasion
>19 ac boosted to 21 if I use agile parry
>falls don't bother me
> have mobile so I can bamf up to any mage from 120 feet away
>literally a living stun gun
I swear the DM was crying when wizard handed me that cloak
people shit on monk but I am basically unkillable now.
>>
>>82324293
>level 14
>only 19/21 ac
>d8 hit die
you will fold like paper when the enemy multiattacks you instead of fireball
>>
>>82324334
yeah, sucks I can't do something like doge as a bonus actio- oh wait! I CAN, BITCH!

Also I have mobile so I hit and run like a smart boy and only after I have opened with my ranged barrage to close gaps. Sorry you're too low int to play monk properly.
>>
>>82324293
>Unkillable
What kind of pathetic enemies is your GM throwing at you at level 14 that can't get through an AC of 21?
>>
>>82324361
yeah but if you're using your bonus action for anything other than flurry a warlock now outdamages you at 120'

it also costs resources

honestly with the amount of outgoing damage i was experiencing in t3 and now in t4, i am really surprised you don't have to be revived every single fight
>>
>>82324392
>>82324398
do you people lack reading comprehension or do you not understand how mobile works? I don't stick around in melee often. I very hard to pindown and magic is really not a threat to me.
>>
>>82324421
I understand how mobile works, but I find it comical that you think that matters where NPCs have ranged attacks or significant movement speeds.

Every character has vulnerabilities.
>>
Rolled 16, 10, 7 + 12 = 45 (3d20 + 12)

>>82324361
>hit and run
>ok you run away, now it's the adult blue dragon's turn
>you hit it a lot last turn so uhh, it's gonna use it's 80ft fly speed to approach you, and use its multiattack
>everyone make a wisdom save as it uses its frightful presence, then uhh, 3 attacks on you monk
>>
>>82324433
>ranged attacks
ah, yes. I forgot many nerds think they are always in a white room. Cover exists
>>82324438
>frightful presence
good thing I am a stout halfling and have brave
>>
>>82324465
>Cover exists
I'm not going to play Batman v.s. the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with you

I'm happy you're enjoying your character, please continue to jerk off at your leasure
>>
Rolled 7, 7, 10 + 2 = 26 (3d10 + 2)

>>82324465
>ok so it hit with its bite and one claw so you take uhh
>>
>>82324484
love the tears from the wizard nerds know there's a sigma monk living it up
>>82324491
26 points of damage out of my 123
16 con with average hp every level.
>>
File: file.png (940 KB, 1443x798)
940 KB
940 KB PNG
I challenge you to name a more insufferable 5E youtuber.
>>
>>82324433
>where NPCs have ranged attacks

>ranged attacks are usually weaker than melee
>cover
>monk's can catch projectiles
>>
Rolled 15 + 12 (1d20 + 12)

>>82324496
whoops should be plus 14 so 38, then it uses its legendary action to tail attack you
>>
>>82324521
I like that guys stuff.
>>
>>82324525
oh man... I guess my health is soooo low now. Guess I will switch strats and pull out my longbow to stay out of the dragon's range while pelting him with arrows and kensei shot.
Oh sweet, the cleric just buffed my shit and healed me. Dead dragon time
>>
>>82324521
what do you not like about treantmonk? every other fucking channel is "just b urself lmao" where he actually goes under the hood and talks about in depth mechanics insightful interactions
>>
>Half-Elf Lore Bard, Wood Elf Land Druid, Mountain Dwarf Champion Fighter, Stout Halfling Open Hand Monk, Dragonborn Devotion Paladin, Rock Gnome Evocation Wizard

>Half-Orc Berserker Barbarian, Hill Dwarf Life Cleric, Human Hunter Ranger, High Elf Thief Rogue, Lightfoot Halfling Draconic Sorcerer, Tiefling Fiend Warlock

Which party and why?
>>
>>82324524
They can't catch ALL projectiles dummy. read your rule book. Plus I'm smart enough to utilize prone with range and I have the movement to spare.
>>
Rolled 6, 4 + 7 = 17 (2d8 + 7)

>>82324549
all of your allies are still 60ft away on the other side of the room
>>
File: 1629164832343.jpg (131 KB, 971x648)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>82324566
>They can't catch ALL projectiles dummy. read your rule book.

I didn't say they could. It just helps.
>>
>>82324600
base 60feet of movement, fool
180 if I wanna try hard for a turn
>>
>Monks have double ki point amount
>Multiple level 2 ki point features can be used in a single turn

>Four elements monks cast their spells as a reaction if they've attacked or used a ki point feature that turn

'Does this begin to fix monk and it's worst subclass?
>>
>>82324551
too inconsistent to be trusted for the advice he gives. also far too biased.
>>
>>82324613
no shit. But if there's one ranged attacker then there's probably multiple and a single one can fire more than once. Use that brain a little more
>>
On the topic of battle music, is this too fast paced?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5U1BQ6Z3ZA
>>
>>82324628
Explain in more detail please.
>>
>>82324621
>level 5
>4 stunning strikes per turn
>for two turns in a row
>>
>>82324617
>run away from the dragon
>it kills your friends instead
nice
>>
>>82324628
>inconsistent
examples please. no really. even if this guy is wrong, he's the most honest person i have ever seen talking about 5e on youtube.
>biased
what does this even mean lmao
>>
>>82324628
how so? He certainly has his opinions, but everyone does. I can't say I agree with him 100% of the time, but I have felt that he has stayed pretty consistent in his outlook over the years, and I've been reading (lately watching) his stuff for something like 15 years now.
>>
>>82324650
Wizards, clerics, druids, and fighters can't deal with a dragon without a monk around? But I thought they were better? weird
>>
>>82324650
>assumes someone with 60-180 feet of movement can only run that in one direction
Are you familiar with kiting? You can run different directions which would include your allies. All you have to do is slap the dragon once and it gets no reaction attack because mobile.
>>
>>82324666
I was indulging, you, anon. now that you're done with it, I'll go ahead and finishing it off by casting forcecage after the warlock casts sickening radiance.
>>
>>82324698
Nice! another ez battle for me and free xp and loot. Life is good
>>
>>82324648
nothing wrong with a class deliberately using all of their resources and then being shit.
>>
File: file.png (27 KB, 259x194)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>82324621
>double the amount of ki points they get
>double the cost of ki points for special actions

There, I fixed it!
>>
>>82324621
Treantmonk fixes:
>step of the wind no longer costs ki
>the level 7 feature is reworded so it actually works now
>MA die scales considerably harder at high levels so their dpr keeps up with other martials
>some other stuff I probably forgot
>>
>>82324551
he overuses the cheesiest strats that no sane DM would let stick around for more than a round, let alone even use, like the familiar help action that he takes on almost everyone and calculates that it will stick around for every round.
>>
>>82324293
Oh boy, another character who deals subpar damage and then runs away for when it's not his turn forcing the rest of the party's collective health pool to be further stressed by taking the additional hits the monk would have taken. Very impressive, anon.
>>
>>82324048
Your dm is a little faggot. Dont take any healing spells. Wade into melee and fight quest givers at every opportunity.
As soon as dm pulls this shit I derail the campaign. Manipulate and twist my friends into hating said dm and find a new one.
>>
>>82324933
It's worked fine for 15 levels now. I guess maybe you should actually play some games to see how things actually run in real life.
>>
>>82324966
>plays with dm who softballs all encounters for him
>wow my class is so strong!
>>
>>82324919
I play regularly, but he has played more d&d than you and I ever will, anon, both as a player and a DM.

It is possible to use the owl familiar to hit and run to give him some chance of survival between turns, but of course it's going to die here and there. It is still better than not having access to it, because it doesn't compete whatsoever with existing resources or actions. It's just 10 gold, man.
>>
>Player 1 is a paladin with Ceremony
>Player 2 is a zealot barbarian

>They marry each other for +2AC for a week
>At the end of the weak the paladin murders him to widow herself and then uses revivify for free
>they marry each other again to start the whole thing over next week

Do you allow this? was this intentional?
>>
>>82324996
>Do you allow this?

only if they consummate the marriage like god intended
>>
>>82324982
>making assumptions
I guess if you need to imagine that's how it is to cope then that's fine. It's super funny to me how actually mad people get when someone is successful with monk. Talk about rent free. You people are obsessed with hating that class.
>>
>>82325011
Okay but this is meaningless without context and you're not giving it so we are all just shooting the shit anyway
>>
>>82324983
Yes anon, so every video and every strat he makes is the same.

This is what I don't like about him and his videos.
>>
>>82325027
Doesn't matter because you would simply write it off as larping anyways. I've had a blast this past year with my monk, I hit harder than what people would assume, I survive combats that would drop a fighter in plate just as easily, I serve the party by locking down casters all the time. Yet people without any actual experience playing will just look at the numbers in a white room scenario and write off an entire class. I can admit that monk is bad if played very poorly but I have a great grasp of the system I am playing in and can squeeze out more performance on a "shitty" class than an average player could on a fighter/barbarian.
>>
>>82325064
You have autism bro
>>
>>82325064
>fight more than 1 monster
>mobile does nothing
>fight a monster that restrains when hitting
>your mobility does nothing
monk larpers are funnee
>>
>https://www.dndbeyond.com/homebrew

how much cringe am i in for, lads?
>>
The best monk is

>1level of monk for martial arts/1level of fighter for bare handed fighting style/8levels of whatever martial you want, including fighter
>>
>>82324788
Nothing to fix, monk is fine
The only people who say monks, rangers and sorcs are bad are parrots copying the nogame dregs spamming on here
>>
>>82325134
You’re fucking delusional if you don’t think PHB rangers and monks are anything but F-tier classes
>>
>>82325134
If rangers don’t suck, then why were they fixed?
>>
>>82325102
There is a lot to sift through, a lot of it simply isn't worded as it should

>This magic stick lets you make three attacks every time!

it makes no sense.
>>
>>82325091
you do realize I can get four attacks with flurry which means I can hit up to 4 creatures and benefit from mobile, right? Which can be tactically good since it takes their reaction and enables plays from the other party member that would normally be risky because of OA's.
I also have crazy high acrobatics which helps escape grapples.

>>82325083
You are actually correct. It's thanksgiving, I am drunk and am on the spectrum. D&D is my hyper focus.
>>
>>82325134
>monk
is bad
>ranger
not bad since TCE, was never "bad" like monk is, gloomstalker is unironically a meta pick and good candidate for multiclassing in a campaign that won't go past 10
>sorcerer
they aren't as good as wizards, but any full caster is better than most martials. so they're at least in the middle of the pack. TCE also made them lots better. The big problem has always been few spells known compounded by lots of trap spells that aren't useful, so they take a skilled pilot to bring out their potential.
>>
>>82325146
>he follows tiers
lol what a beta wizard
>>
>>82325134
>https://youtu.be/Aaqq7iZUmMk
I agree when it comes to Rangers and Sorcerers, they're not that bad even just assuming PHB only. Monk I do disagree with however, I've felt they do somewhat suffer when it comes to them being a good option most of the tie, its not that they're unplayable or won't do good things in some cases, I don't think any class/subclass is unplayable, but its not really a good one most of the time. That Treantmonk video goes into detail about its issues pretty well imo.
>>
>>82325146
>muh tiers

I wonder how 5eggots would react to playing osr stuff. It might not be optimal but you can still have fun playing a wizard with 1 hp and 2 spells
>>
>>82325181
That’s my own opinion but if other people would count it as F-tier then that only serves my point
>>
>>82325198
This
>>82325212
>>
>>82325212
>gets gaslighted by treacntmonkcuck
>thinks he has his own opinions
lel
>>
>>82325232
>gaslight
>cuck
>>
>>82325280
>implying
>>
>>82324621
Their Martial Arts die should be 1d6-1d12 or their hit die should a d10.
Or just make them SAD at baseline by changing all WIS scaling to DEX (Unarmored Defense is 13 baseline).
>>
File: file.png (149 KB, 400x400)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>82325315
>>
What makes a Barbarian better than a Fighter?
>>
>>82325342
Nothing, Fighter is the best martial in the game.
They blatantly designed it first and all the other martials are a piss poor attempt to do something different.
>>
>>82325342
higher testosterone
>>
>>82325342
I don't think they are personally, but then again, resistance to all weapon attacks(or all damage but psychic) is probably the best feature in the game. Having the highest health in the game to go along with it is icing on the cake
>>
File: 1610212385508.jpg (24 KB, 720x720)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
New as fuck to DMing, only ever played as part of friends' campaigns. I'm going through the PDF for DM Guide currently, what's a good prebuilt adventure to do for friends who won't be too discerning, and just want to have fun with it? Was thinking Storm King's Thunder but if there's a better alternative I'm open to changing.
Also not sure what approach to take really, was going to be fairly flexible with rules in the service of having fun as long as nobody starts being an insufferable min-maxer or trying to talk their way around them all the time.
>>
>>82325342
They're consistently in the running for best tanking potential, especially with shit like Ancestral Guardians existing.
>>
>>82325376
SKT is pretty good, if you want a for sure starter adventure, icepeaks or phandelver is good
>>
>>82325342
fighting in melee
>>
>>82325394
>Never gets 3 or 4 attacks
No.
>>
What are your favorite/best ideas for player level 10 multiclasses?
>>
File: 1596152014419.jpg (69 KB, 564x640)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>82325342
>fat health pool
>resistance to extend those hit points further
>on demand advantage
>extra damage
>grapple anything
>crits are fatter
>get caught sleeping and ambushed? good luck donning that plate
>walk into fight naked and fully erect
>be almost as hard to his as fighter still
>bonus initiative
its' really no contest when you compare a chad to a virgin swinging his shortsword.
>>
File: 1635025727573.gif (2.79 MB, 350x263)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB GIF
What's up with the vault? The magnet links aren't working at all when I stick them in qbittorrent
>>
>>82325418
the best multiclass is simply don't
>>
>>82325439
well that's simply a lie.
>>
>>82325376
read Sly Flourish's Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master. It'll help more than the DMG. As to first adventures, if your friends have never played The Lost Mine of Phandelver, run that one.
>>
>>82325439
fool
>saytr/yuan-ti pureblood for magic resist
>ancients paladin
>hex dip for full charisma SAD times
Easily the best build in the game
>>
File: 1608540758929.webm (2.94 MB, 640x360)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>82325461
>>82325387
Phandelver it is then, time to read
>>
>>82325464
>Easily the best build in the game

but that's not divination wizard
>>
>>82325376
I would also sayLost Mines of Phandelver followedby Dragon of Icespire Peak.

I like SKT, but you either needto know alot about the Sword Coast or do alot of sesearch on it. A large part of the adventure is traveling along the whole Sword Coast, with very minimalistic descriptions of the locations. But this also allows you to easily put in extra stuff of your own creation.
>>
>>82325418
Depends on what you want to do. I'd do something like a Wizard 9/Cleric 1 multiclass for the battlemage style. Or a Swashbuckler 7/Battle Master 3 for the duelist extraordinaire. Shadow Sorcerer 7/Undead Warlock 3 can be good for the spooky ghostly or death caster.
>>
>>82325464
Artificer 1/Chronurgist 19 would disagree with you slightly.
>>
>>82325418
There's far too many to list
Forge Cleric 1/Evoker 9
Hexblade 1/Swashbuckler 9
Vengeance Paladin 3/Shadow Sorcerer 7
War Wizard 3/Eldritch Knight 7
Gloom Stalker 5/ Assassin 5
Any Barbarian 5/Any Rogue 5
>>
>>82325488
>>82325517
too bad i don't give a fuck about facts
>>
>>82325594
Hexblade 1/Swashbuckler 9
Vengeance Paladin 3/Shadow Sorcerer 7
War Wizard 3/Eldritch Knight 7

explain?
>>
File: z1gataf51fk01.png (1.66 MB, 2000x3000)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>82325418
>Whispers Bard 3/Hexblade Blade Pact 5/Paladin 2
Divine Smite + Psychic Blades + Eldritch Smite!
>>
>>82325517
I'm kind of a brainlet and not really seeing what artificer is doing here. Mind explaining?
>>
>>82325648
kinda funny, but wouldnt
>2pal/8sorcerer
be just as good to Smite more times with 4th level slots?
>>
>>82325656
Medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency, proficiency in con saves, access to the guidance cantrip and a few other level 1 spells you wouldn't otherwise have access to, and because of the way multiclassing works with artificer you don't lose any spell slots with a 1 level dip.
>>
>>82325668
>2 Pal/8 Sorcerer
>4th level Smite Critical damage is 10d8 Radiant
vs
>Whispers Bard 3/Hexblade Blade Pact 5/Paladin 2
>Critical Damage: 4d6(Psychic Blades)+8d8(3rd Level Eldritch Smite)+8d8(3rd Level Divine Smite)
I'll take the SMITE route, its a meme, but when it happens it'll be great.
>>
>level 8
>player wants to switch subclass, wants to keep their character
>reasoning: their subclass is too boring for them
The player wants to go from monster slayer to swarmkeeper. The answer is no, right?
>>
>>82325858
Well they could burn some gold and downtime and do so. I'd say as long as it fits the character sure?
>>
>>82325858
>does it break the game?
>does it not make sense for the character?
if the answer to any of the above is yes then no, I would not allow it.
>>
>>82325858
naah, the answer is yes. there's rules for how to do it in tashas, and it isnt like swarmkeeper is uber broken cheating BS.
>>
>>82325858
The player isn't having fun and wants to maintain the roleplaying while changing their specs. If a PC isn't having fun and changing that is trivial, you let them should do it, full stop. What kind of cunt would refuse to let a player have fun?
>>
>>82325882
>please make my role easier while also making your role harder
How about you get better at DMing first?
>>
>>82325461
Sly Flourish is a shitbag and a shill for his own shit.
>>
>>82325892
what you just said makes absolutely no fucking sense. you are big dumb
>>
>>82325900
Even if that is true it doesn't mean that his book isn't useful.
>>
>>82325901
>does it break the game?
Only a bad DM is worried about player choices "breaking" the game.
>does it not make sense for the character?
You're not the fucking arbiter of what they're allowed to be, you're the DM. You handle everything but the PCs. Saying they can't change subclass because it "doesnt make sense for them" is oldschool DM-enforcing-paladin-falling dogshit.
>>
>>82325871
>>82325871
>>does it not make sense for the character?
I do think there is one way this could fly even if it doesn't make a ton of sense for the character itself. Lets say you have a Dragon Bloodline Sorcerer, who's very character is highly centered around being a Draconic Blooded person and its important to that character. That PC changing into another Sorcerer subclass by training makes no sense, however you as a DM could make a reason for a sudden change in their powers. Maybe have the PC interact with something that forcefully changes their abilities, like maybe the player wanted to switch from Draconic to Aberrant Mind. Have it so the PC gets BLASTED with some incredibly powerful psychic winds that came from the Astral Plane and it almost killed them, but they survived and their powers shifted. The character might not be happy about this (Bad things happen to PCs all the time!), but the player is and that's what's important!
>>
>>82325858
>I want to force my player to keep playing a character with boring abilities they don't want to keep playing

I bet you don't let players swap out PCs without them dying either, huh?
>>
>>82325920
pussy
>>
>>82325920
>Only a bad DM is worried about player choices "breaking" the game.
NTA, but like if I'm in a game where we have a Peace Cleric and a Light Cleric and the life cleric decides to suddenly change into a Twilight Cleric just to perform the whole Twilight Sanctuary + Protective Bond combo...I'd be a bit hesitant to say yes to this. Its honestly, the only situation I could think of where I'd put a hard no on something, because really not much 'breaks' in 5e dnd, but this combo is one of the few somewhat broken ones. Its something I've seen people actually ban, so I could understand someone saying no to this sort of shift.
>>
>>82325858
>you WILL play the same class
>you WILL stay unhappy
>i WILL NOT show sympathy
>you WILL NOT leave my campaign

Let's be real though, ranger falls off hard after level 5, the dude is going to be bored no matter what
>>
>>82325884
>>82325883
>>82325882
The thing is it wont really make sense. All of a sudden he can command swarms of bees or whatever he decides to use? Why wasn't he using them in the last 30 sessions?
>>
>>82325984
you dumb fuck. YOU are the dm. You find a creative way to explain in the narrative why this happened. Maybe he meets another ranger from the bee conclave and inducts him in.
>>
>>82325995
You're right, I'll find a way to make it work.
Hypothetically, would you let them change to gloom stalker? Swarmkeeper is one thing because it's not really that strong, but gloom stalker is fantastic and would be an insane increase.
>>
>>82325984
>I can't be assed to help the player figure this out!
>I can't create an event ingame that would explain this shift in ability!
>I can't just not let it bother me like a well-adjusted human being. It just doesn't make sense!
Fuck the verisimilitude, Sanderson, if you're NOT HAVING FUN, trying to put roadblocks to the fun instead of fastlanes is being a bad DM. I promise you, the player won't necessarily mind if there isn't an explanation.
>>
>>82325984
Why didn't the wizard cast wish in the last 30 sessions? Why didn't the fighter make three attacks in the last 30 sessions? Why didn't the druid wild shape in to an elemental the last 30 sessions? Character abilities change all the time. Characters gain abilities all of a sudden all of the time.
>>
>>82325984
Well figure out a reason for these powers manifesting into them. Have a swarm of bees or whatever creatures find him and corrupt of change him take a read on the "Sudden Change" section of the "Changing your Subclass" rules in TCoF. The argument of "It doesn't make sense for the character" is fair if it was the character making the decision to train themselves and unlearn powers/skills they like but if a outside force forcefully changed their ability the character doesn't have the choice anymore and it makes sense why they've changed.
>>
>>82325972
That's not at all broken, anon, what are you afraid of?
>>
>>82325984
>A giant dick made out of bees buzzes and bumbles its way to you.
>You recognize this great creature; this grand harmony of yummy honey and humming goodness.
>The Bee-nis.
>It makes you an offer: A fraction of its immeasurable power in exchange for your service.
>You will travel the lands far and wide searching for the object of the Bee-nis's desire.
>The Buzz-gina.
>Too long have they been seperated.
>Bee-nis and Buzz-gina must be reunited.
>>
>>82326007
Yep, I'd let him switch to gloom stalker. Gloom Stalker may be the most powerful Ranger subclass, but odds are even if he switches to it he probably won't suddenly be the most game breakingly powerful character in the party.
>>
Any good wild magic sorc homebrews?
>>
>>82326043
>Mass Temp HP stacking with transferable damage stacking with Emboldening Bond + Bless
That, that's pretty nuts. Separate those things aren't so bad, but together its going to shift the game and bring it to a rough crawl.
>>
>>82324521
Davvy Chappy
>>
>>82326060
makes sense, and it's true. At this level they aren't going to be OP anyways.
How about giving them two subclasses? I was thinking of just letting them learn swarmkeeper features and they can keep what they have. It's the equivalent of getting a cool homebrew weapon.
>>
>>82326064
>Mass Temp HP stacking with transferable damage stacking with Emboldening Bond + Bless
Oh god, every turn they get an extra...1-6 temp HP and can burn their reactions to take the bullets for everyone else? AND they can hit with their attacks and pass ability checks?
Without the twilight cleric you've already got 3/4 of that, adding temp HP for a while isn't broken. It just means you swing harder as a DM. They can hit more consistently which means you can up enemy AC without too much worry, and they can hit a tiny bit harder to offset the temp HP.
What's broken about this again?
>>
File: swarmkeeper.jpg (62 KB, 545x562)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>82326085
I'd rather give the player the subclass they want to play instead of the subclass you want them to play. If they want to be a Swarmkeeper, I'd simply make a quick and relatively easy reason as to why they suddenly got these powers and move on.
>>
>>82326015
You're right, thanks anon.
>>
>>82326051
Based
>>
>>82326109
I apologize if I was too aggressive about it. I've seen the attitude before and been there myself, trying to enforce character stuff to multiclass, etc. At the end of the day we're playing the game to have fun. Some people forget that and get lost in the lore or what have you. You brought in a question that prompted a good discussion and were willing to listen. You're alright, anon.
>>
>>82325858
So here's the thing, If a character wants to change class/multiclass/change subclass, you the DM should work with them to make a narrative reason for them to do it. In order to take levels in Draconic Sorc, my paladin had to find a powerful draconic crystal and infuse his body with it. Then I was able to take draconic sorc levels thereafter. If he wants to change from monster slayer to swarmkeeper, have them hunt some monsterous swarm but he's infused with some item/ichor/etc that gives him control over the swarm they defeated or something
>>
>>82326099
The fact that I'm having the increase CR at all is the problem. I think its dumb to have to increase the overall CR of the game just because of these features being too strong together.
>1-6 temp HP
Also you do realize its 1d6+6 per turn on everyone right? So its more like 10 Temp HP each turn with each tank deciding to tank the AOE hits for any squishier people. Having to deal the extra 2d4 to each save and the option for healing on top the temp hp (Palm of Peace), this can be a lot. Suddenly I'd need to increase AC, Hit Points, Saving throws, even Attack rolls may need the boost. As a DM if I don't feel very comfortable having both a Twilight Cleric and a Peace Cleric in the same party for the concern of balance I do have that right. And it would have been stated as a rule before the game started, not just sprung on them on the last minute, of course.
>>
>>82326051
>>82326114
>wasting the opportunity to say Bee-sed
>>
>big tits on Halflings
Thoughts?
>>
>>82326186
Also you do realize its 1d6+6 per turn on everyone right? So its more like 10 Temp HP each turn
That's a bit more substantial but nothing that more damage can't balance.
>Having to deal the extra 2d4 to each save
Not each save, one save per turn. Yes this includes enemy turns, but that's where stronger monsters make out better. Trigger more saves. Prompt more reaction use and once they're spent get your monsters out of melee range.
>with balm of peace providing healing on top
Balm of Peace is good, but you're forgetting it costs a CD, same as the bond, and requires movement speed. They can do really well for one fight like that but afterwards, they need a SR before trying it again.
>Suddenly I'd need to increase AC, Hit Points, Saving throws, even Attack rolls may need the boost.
Just use tougher monsters? And spend a little more time at 6th level to fine-tune the balance. CR has a very specific kind of average going on and upping your creature CR by 1 typically only increases DPS by 5 and HP by 15, give or take. Honestly this combo sounds fun to deal with. You've got a glowing cleric that's giving THP as a giant target, and the tanks can only block once between their turns due to reaction limits. More likelihood to pass saves means you can increase the damage of AoEs so that even halved is substantial. The Twilight Sanctuary only works until you're incapacitated, which includes a ton of options to shut it down.
>>
>>82326186
just ban it dude
it's problematic to have to balance around one ability like that. you might be in a situation where you expected the party to have access to their channel divinity but they don't or the cleric isn't present for narrative reasons, and then suddenly the party gets smoked.
>>
>>82326232
sure
>>
File: 1636471890402.jpg (81 KB, 720x480)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>preparing for first time DMing
>homebrew world bc theres a lot of stuff i wanna put in there
>make a single region more fleshed out where the campaign will take place
>for fun, on the edge of the map put a walled off enemy faction/region that has been halted by giant walls, bent on destroying civilisation as we know it
> develop another faction dedicated to keep them out, very succesful at doing so
>Every single player DMd me that they want to play as a secret agent of that bad faction.
>except for one
>he wants to join / be part of the other one
I have till next year to actually start DMing but what should i do? My bbeg was supposed to be from that faction. Should i withdraw my developed towns and plots etc for fodder villages and just cut them loose on a destruction spree?
>>
File: 1561533258191.png (806 KB, 1280x834)
806 KB
806 KB PNG
>>82326232
On halflings? No. But dwarves are fine.
>>
>>82326319
tell them to fuck off, man. they can play the campaign you had in mind or they can find someone else to DM their game. skyrim was a mistake.
>>
>>82326319
You tell them no
>>
>>82326271
>same as the bond,
Bond does not cost CD, its just a thing that passively activates as they have their Emboldening Bond up which is also not a CD.
Understand I'm not saying this is not something that can't be worked around. As a DM we can make anything work, there is no official content or even homebrew alive that could truly break a game because you as the DM control the world. If I just don't want to deal with it I'd just upfront tell them:
>"No, I'd rather not have this combo set in this particular game. So I'm banning having both a Twilight Cleric and a Peace Cleric in the party."
And move on.
>>82326298
You get used to balancing on the fly sometimes, but this can be a problem as well. Again some people may be fine with this combo at their table others not so much. They may not want to deal with the whole "Oh you have an extra 2d4 for this save (and you have 12 Temp HP) that too!" then everyone trying to figure out who should use their reaction to take the AOE hit to protect the Twilight Cleric. It just slows stuff down a little too much for me, still some will be just fine with this.
>>
>>82326319
in an open call or just on an open text chat, tell them you have to push back the campaign for 3 more months because they wall wanted to be secret agents so you have to rewrite the plot.
>>
>>82326329
>>82326337
>>82326361
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW MY EBIN STORYLIEN!1!!1!1!!
>YOU CANT PLAY DIFFERENT CHARACTER IN DEE AND DEE
>YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD GUYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
>WHY WONT YOU RIDE MY STORYSHITT RAILROAD?????????
>rrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>82326319
Here's what you do, you flip the script. Everyone wants to be a secret agent of bad faction (BF)? Good, they are. They're a cell that's smuggled their way into the main region.
Now, the last player who wants to be part of the Wall Faction (WF) is the secret agent. You don't need to twist the BBEG, you just twist the discovery. The PCs, rather than oh fuck that guy's bad news, learn it as oh fuck,that guy WE WORK FOR is bad news.
Talk to the one WF player and tell them that their idea isn't going to necessarily work unless they shift to BF but kinda edging away from them, or to fully (potentially) expect that if outed as a WF loyalist the rest of the PCs might be upset. You're still the one as the DM that's there to prevent PvP and people getting butthurt. But this way you turn the tables and give them what they wanted but in a different context.
>>
>>82326319
It's fine to tell your players "no" anon, especially if the world you're playing in isn't a sandbox. You're putting the effort into creating a world with a coherent storyline, and all you ask in return are character concepts which grounded enough to allow for this to be followed.
>>82326394
Bait
>>
>>82326394
Meds. Now.
>>
>>82326394
Make sure you masturbate before you post
>>
File: 1597892887431.png (2.39 MB, 1920x1080)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>82326232
Quite necessary, so they can more effectively puff out their chests and roar.
>>
File: 1636094133854.webm (2.97 MB, 640x800)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>82326409
Well the bbeg is pretty bad... they could change their alegience after his exposition. But its only a maybe.
Problem is they start at level 10, they could probably tear down the wall in one session if they get creative
>>82326414
>>82326361
>>82326337
>>82326329
You are right. I dont blame them for wanting to be the cool edgy faction but i really dont have a clue on how to manage it. I did imagine it as a more sandboxy like campaign with something to do antywhere with the potential of destruction after they gain a few more levels but im not prepared for mayhem to be the main plot

Thanks again for the advice anons
>>82326394
Touch grass
>>
Hey guys, I keep killing all these stupid people who try to talk to me, but the DM isnt giving me any good loot or XP for it. What gives?
>>
How would you design an evil artifact so that it has an impactful, but not crippling downside to using it?
>>
>>82326690
>It costs XP to use
>>
>>82326690
No matter how impactful or crippling, just dont make it too obvious and the player will keep using it.
Like say a necklace that can cause fear to others after you X but X is something like walking 10 steps / using up your movement.
Great in a fight, poopoo to travel with
>>
>>82326755
>>82326755
>>82326755
Next time its femboys
>>
>>82326753
Yeah, me and a buddy have been trying to think up some interesting evil artifacts, and we want one to be a spellsword, but we're trying to think up a good and thematic downside for it
>>
>>82326765
promise?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.