[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: I did not care for.jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
I did not care for Savage Worlds.
>>
>>82317880
What's a savage world
>>
>>82317880
That's okay, king, its not for everyone.
>>
I find Burning Wheel to be rather shallow and pedantic
>>
>>82317880
It is one of my favorite games, I wish you had a better time with it.
>>
>>82320546
It insists on itself.
>>
>>82320546
This but unironically.
>>
>>82320980
>It is one of my favorite games
Why? I'm sure there are loads of other games with fuddlore guns, retarded dissociated metacurrency, bullet-sponge characters, nonsensical spell-lists, overpowered magic, trap-options galore, clumsy vehicle rules, etc
>>
>>82321522
Not saying you're wrong, but can you list alternatives that do a better job of all those things you listed without naming GURPS? If there's better options, I'm open to it.
>>
File: Genesys core book.png (563 KB, 500x667)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
>>82321842
Have you tried playing Genesys?
>>
>>82317880
Your opinion is correct.
>>
>>82321522
Quickness IS fucking omegabroken and should be blanket banned

That being said, I enjoy the rule set otherwise and it's good for doing off the wall/cinematically toned games.
>>
>>82321887
Different anon. Having played both, they are both good but for different reasons. I wouldn't use Genesys as an alternative to Savage Worlds.
>>
>>82321887
I haven't. Sell me on it.
>>
>>82317880

I feel like this meme would work better if you said GURPS.
>>
File: .jpg (20 KB, 640x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>82317880
Oh, Forgotten Realms, you startled me.
>>
>>82321887
I'd rather be raped by a rake than play that shite
>>
>>82322692
When you use a phrase like “I’d rather” in a negative connotation, you’re supposed to pick something you don’t already enjoy doing on a daily basis.
>>
>>82322574
We GURPSfags understand why someone might not like it after trying it.
The pussies who refuse to try it out are the ones we judge.
>>
>>82322574
>>82323231
I don't mind GURPS. I mind GURPS games that are taken even remotely seriously. No GURPS game should ever be more serious than the average game of GURPS Discworld, and most should be far sillier than that.
>>
>>82317880
>>82320546

I liked both Burning Wheel and Savage Worlds
I was displeased when I played FATE, and wish to not play it again.
>>
>>82321887
Not him, but I used it in the star wars games and didn't really like the dice system as a GM
I personally liked using "You do the thing but..." or "You don't do the thing but..." as failure conditions of rolls in more "binary" systems.
Further, and this is just a personal thing, but I found the constant interpreting of "Okay I succeeded but I got 3 threat, a triumph AND a despair, what does that look like GM?" to be a pressure that made it MORE difficult to come up with fun interesting results on rolls vs just "interesting thing that happens on success and interesting thing that happens on failure".
I could see how some people would like it though, and I might give it another shot as a player, but I probably wouldn't run it again, not suitable for my style of GMing.
>>
>>82323546
Having come from Star Wars D20 Revised, I thought the FFG Star Wars game was an utter garbage heap. It would have made more sense to read tea leaves instead of roll those damn dice.
>>
>>82323562
I love FFG Star Wars, it's an incredibly effective brainlet filter.
>>
>>82323727
what kind of dice did you roll to see if your jimmies were rustled there buddy?
>>
>>82323546
>>82323562
I had a similar take on it at first, novelty dice in particular annoyed me, but after playing in a long-ish running campaign, it has become one of my favorite systems. FFG star wars, I should say, not Genesys.

Specifically, I felt Edge of the Empire captured the feel it was aiming for very well, had lots of interesting, flavorful, and synergistic options, and made personalizing your character very easy. Force and Destiny also made a great call having each form tied to a different attribute, it made for very varied jedi parties that still all felt like jedi. Age of Rebellion was pretty mediocre, though.

My problem with Genesys was that it lacked all of that depth, the core system really isn't so staggering that it was worth note on its own.
>>
>>82321993
Slumber is bad too.
>>
>>82323743
It's not meant to be nasty Anon but if you're deadly serious and you can't figure out a simple two-axis success-failure system I have to think less of you as a GM. My first post there is a bit gib but come on, it's not hard.
>>
>>82317880
Taking disadvantages to gain advantages is gay in both Savage Worlds and GURPS
>>
>>82324094
I think as long as you're not stupid minmaxing it's a small 'fun' mechanic
>>
I enjoy Savage Worlds but dislike how it encourages system mastery and lowkey munchkinry a core expectation of effective play
>>
>>82321522
>Why?
Relatively lightweight and flexible mechanics with just enough crunch and tactical combat to satisfy, and the mechanics are enjoyable in their own right. Exploding dice are fun (inb4 "fun is a buzzword" pasta).

It's not perfect, but it's my first choice when introducing newbs.
>>
>>82321522
>fuddlore guns
What do you mean?
>>
>>82323231
But also, anyone who doesn’t like it clearly hasn’t actually tried it and is lying when they say they have
>>
File: 1637565027394.jpg (410 KB, 595x860)
410 KB
410 KB JPG
>>82317880
I've been thinking of trying to convert Deadlands into BRP for a bit, just to save it from SW.
>>
>>82321887
cant, too busy playing GURPS.
>>
>>82326657
>save it from SW
>BRP
Nigga, get your head out of your ass.
>>
Savage Worlds was the darling of the 00s but trends move on. It has become a strong brand and it is a system with a mechanical identity. I prefer other systems over it but it's acceptable for one shots and shorter campaigns that fit its style.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.