[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is the future of pricing in the Wargames market? I can’t imagine that as time progresses prices are going to keep increasing with technology being able to cut out the middle man eventually.
>>
3D printing is garbage. The middle man is using plastic injection moulding and resin casting.
Both are possible as is.
>>
3D printers aren't likely to get much cheaper, given that regular printers haven't kept getting cheaper. Most people still won't own one.
More likely is print shops that will print and clean STLs you bring them, but they won't want to risk a lawsuit printing GW models.
GW will continue to sell plastic and make money. Whether or not they get your money is up to you.
>>
LMAO at the posts so far. 3D printers have jumped leaps and bounds in the last decade in terms of quality and there's no reason to think it's plateaued. They've also continued to come down in cost, I think you can get something good for like $600 now which is going to be affordable if your already buying warhammer. This is all well known, I think there's a comment from the GW CEO about what the future is going to be like when everyone can affordably 3D print.
>>
>>82320673
>I think there's a comment from the GW CEO about what the future is going to be like when everyone can affordably 3D print.
What was the opinion?
>>
>>82317858
3D printing doesn't compete. I want the middle man because doing factory work with toxic chemicals in my home for multiple hours on top of the standard hobby of building/painting/playing is braindead-tier.
>>
Was this post from 2008 or 2021 or 2034?
>>
>>82322511
honestly, were it not for date stamps or the phrase 'last decade' in >>82320673 this could easily be a post from 10 years ago.
>>
File: PXL_20211124_193710870.jpg (3.39 MB, 4032x3024)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>82317858
Wargames? Wargames are already reasonably priced. Only Warhammer cucks are willing to pay out the ass for cartoonist miniatures. Every mini in this pic is just as high quality, or higher, than GW yet they are like $0.25-$0.50 per mini whereas GW will charge $5-$60 per mini. GW consoomer are the problem, not wargames
>>
>>82317858
Injection moulding is far cheaper than 3D printing, simple industries of scale.
The plastic figures you buy are near worthless, except for the attached license.

Prices will increase exactly at the point where people stop buying extremely overpriced garbage.
>>
File: 6426766_sd.jpg (18 KB, 550x299)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>82322227
It was by the Kirby himself, he envisioned people going to GW stores to print what they wanted.

By the way, how many of you know people actually printing their Magic and Yu-gi-oh! cards so they look totally legal? Do they actually make a life-threatening cut in the market?

I think the answer is quite obvious.
>>
>>82317885
> t GW shill
>>
>>82323322
>By the way, how many of you know people actually printing their Magic and Yu-gi-oh! cards so they look totally legal?
Not at all similar. The quality difference is *far* greater for paper prints.

Even just comparing a modern SLA with injection molding. GW prints money by using their license to have enormous markups, which wouldn't be the case for at home printing.
>>
>>82320673
I feel ya. But I also remember the gymnasium for a computer. A single 16mb of ram computer.
>>
>>82320673
You can build yourself every piece of wooden furniture you have for a far lower price than buying them, could easily learn how to do it free from the internet, and yet furniture stores exist.

3d printing may well eventually threaten GW, which is probably why they're shutting down IP violations so hard lately, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as you think. 3d printing is its own hobby that requires you work with potentially dangerous chemicals, with a decently large initial time and money investment, that's not something everyone who buys an army is going to do.
>>
>>82324532
Retarded comparison.
You can't produce all furniture you could ever want from a $500 machine.

It is already extremely simple to 3D print things and you don't even need that. If you know 10 guys and one of them has a 3D printer that is enough...
>>
>>82324572
Yes you totally can make all the furniture you ever want with way less than $500 of machinery. Circular saw, jig saw, sander, plus some standard tools, and you can make literally anything wooden. Just have to buy the materials, like a 3d printer.
>>
>>82322720
based. Wargaming is an exceptionally cheap hobby. Being a Games Workshop™ Enthusiast™ is expensive.
>>
>>82324690
No, I couldn't. You can learn to 3D print in 10 hours and get 9/10 results.
The time investment is orders of magnitude different.
>>
>>82322720
Lol I also have some napoleonics and victrix Romans, bit they aren't as good quality as good GW minis
>>
>>82324572
>You can't produce all furniture you could ever want from a $500 machine.
Ummm you prob could with 500 worth of tools
>>
File: Gentlemen BEHOLD.jpg (1020 KB, 3024x4032)
1020 KB
1020 KB JPG
>>82317858
3D printing isn't quiiite there yet. The finished product can be just as good or even better than molded, but the process is still kinda difficult to set up. The average person doesn't have the time or know how to fiddle with calibrations or cleaning up spilled resin.

GW will keep pumping the current market as hard as it can right up until 3D printers improve to the point an ordinary person can just plug and print with them. At that point, whey will embrace 3D prints hard, offering "official" model files for a modest price. Non-official models will not be allowed at tournaments. Fans will be able to submit their own print files to GW, who may deign to sell them. Expect the submission process to include a contract giving GW all rights to the design, and preventing the artist from making any profit off it.
>>
>>82324778
You could learn to torrent videogame in 20 minutes and never pay for games again but the game industry is making money hand over fist.
>>
Bump.
>>
>>82317858
> we want the non-white audience for reals
> bump the prices up so only white upper middle class+ can purchase anything
>>
>>82330487
>only whites have money
Plenty of middle class brown people. They just spend their money on shit that isn’t plastic Army men.
>>
>>82330528
They really need to capitalize on the Japanese already. Those fuckers love plastic figures. Not localizing Total Warhammer into nip, but chinese instead is baffling. There's no cross promotion there.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.