[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (74 KB, 1100x1000)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
What are you experiences with banning and being banned from games?
I just got banned from a table and wanted to know if this type of shit is normal
>Play Out of the Abyss on discord irl friend
>Session ends schedule the next session as normal
>Boot up discord 20 minutes before the session
>There is no server
>message one of my friends
>the closer one says the group decided to kick me from the server without even talking to me
>message other friends
>GM says he burned out and isnt GMing anymore and that he deleted the server
>tell him to talk to me and see what is the problem
>he tells me to talk to the other players
>the 1th one blocked me
>the 2th doesn't give any real response
>the 3th doesn't want to start shit with the other ones because they might kick him out too
>>
>>82316640
and you call those "people" friends?
what is wrong with you ?
>>
>>82316640
I bet you're a furfag
you deserve it all
>>
>>82316640
>firth
>secoth
>thith
>>
File: 1630379741584.png (396 KB, 381x410)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>82316739
>>oneth
>>twoth
>>threeth
>>
>Banned a guy for cheating, purposely misinterpreting the rules for his benefit and generally being unable to get rid of his main character syndrome.
>banned a friend because he wouldn't stop making meme characters and turning the game into a LOLSORANDUMB humor, would always be like "eh i don't feel like playing anyone want to go drinking instead" on GameDay and caught him talking to another friend how he can't take games seriously, overall just disrespectful to gms.
>another player banned himself from the table holding it hostage until I unmanned the player I banned above. Turns out he was willing to destroy the campgain because he was in love with the banned players girlfriend and wanted to get on her good side
>>
>>82316696
>what is wrong with you ?
a lot but i considered them friends until they puled this bs.
>>82316739
>>82316768
yeah yeah isl blah blah blah.
>>
>>82316859
yikes. hope you are ok
>>
>>82316942
>>what is wrong with you ?
>a lot
first thing is that you ever considered people from discord, *bluergh*, your friends
>>
>>82316640
I used to get banned from stores when I figured I wouldn't be going back to that store anymore.

My favorite ban resulted from me using home made racist as hell magic cards during a local tournament. The card that got me kicked was a white card that destroyed target black creature with a picture of the big D cell flashlight cops use called 'Tyrone's Bane' and the flavor text of 'Stay down, Blue Gums!'.
>>
>>82316966
I met them irl before forming the group. I just didnt expect them to pull this type of shit. honestly if I was a problem player talk to me ffs.
>>
>>82316976
kek.
>>
>>82316640
You're getting two very different stories.
>the group decided to kick me from the server without even talking to me
>the GM burned out and isnt GMing anymore and the server was deleted
Without know the truth there's really nothing to say, and we also can't say anything without knowing why they'd kick you or what kind of people are involved.

Either could be legitimate, although it's shitty to kick someone without talking about it, and it's shitty to nuke a server without telling people.

Sorry it happened to you either way, anon.
>>
>>82316999
tbf that is a regular complain about shit like this happening to people, and while you might be a degenerate fur fag, or not, people in every sphere or LARP, PnP or TT might be swinging to this, because essentially, they do these things, not for aditional drama, but to escape reality, as they cant handle it themselves. Consider the fact that this doesnt mean you did do anything wrong, since I have often found people acting irrational when they did stuff like this, it is a shor circuit action brainwise. Which incase doesnt mean you didnt, and I am wouldnt be surpsired to find out, you actually caused some shit, you are just not honest here.
>>
>>82317135
I understand and agree with you suspicion of a complete stranger story without much context. im just sharing it and seeing if this type of stuff happens elsewhere and show people have dealt with it.
>>82317087
I mean the group was still up even after a other campaign ended so i doubt they would delete the server without saying a thing.
>>
I've banned a player before, but atleast i talked to him 1 on 1.

>dude was a power gamer and wanted everything to be a one hit kill or unfailable.
>he argued about everything about 2 to 3 times a session.
>he treated the game like a video game and got mad when other players wouldn't let him just kill every npc.
>played the same evil character but refused to understand why we branded his character as evil.
>always late, 'hay guys i just need a minute to smoke", "hold on let me order food", "o the gf just got home", "hold on my dog is doing something", "i just need to use the restroom", "getting another beer, o let me tell you about it"
>always took way too long like 45min restroom breaks, 30min smoke breaks, and went mia for half a session.
>got super mad that we would wait 5mins then start playing.
>"why didn't u guys text me we were starting?"
>"you said you were getting a beer why does that take 15minc
>talked over everyone including the dm.
>delt with in game problem out of game, like a bridge being out so lets argue with the gm.

The week after we kicked him i remembered how much fun it was to gm.
>>
>>82317384
I that is understandable
>>
Never got to ban anyone fortunately as I never had the need to. My usual gm though doesn't fuck around.
>we, the PCs are investigating a rich noble house, managed to get in legit and chat up with the servants while the much more sociable bard talked with the family chief
>While we are waiting in the garden, we realise some of our stuff is missing
>The mischievous child of the family was bored and tried to pull a prank on us
>I notice her, use my teleport to catch up to her and gently ask to give it back
>She screams because she realizes my PC is from a race her family hates (undine, basically water elemental in this setting)
>That other PC is MAD that the girl stole his lockpicking kit of all thing and aim is crossbow at her
>we argue that it's a bit overblown for just a prank
>It's also retarded because that family is known as being powerful magic users and that it would be dangerous to anger them
>Shits go on for 15 minutes, we reminds him that one of the character creation guidelines was too not make asshole (or at least retardedly assholish) characters
>"That's what my character would do!"
>Gm just kick him so we can move on
Seemed a bit overblown but that was the gm call, I hate when shit aren't moving on for innocuous stuff
>>82317384
Genuily seems like a terrible time, good on you for kicking him
>>
>>82316768
/thread
>>
>>82316713
This!
>>
>>82317443
Sounds like a really shitty group, just let the man roleplay. Instead you all argued with him, disrupting the game because he wasn't following the railroad exactly how you wanted
>>
>>82317717
Well my character roleplay was not letting a kid getting shot by the crossbow how about that.
>>
>>82316640
I've banned two people from my games.

The first one was part of a goddamn streamed game I was running who literally fucked off mid-session because his character got roughed up a bit to go play fucking Yugioh; I saw him EDO Pro not 5 minutes later, gave him until next session to fucking explain himself, but he didn't so I just replaced him and his replacement has been fantastic. Of course, this guy also tried to make a "nonbinary" character which I shot down under the guise of "not wanting political shit on my stream" so that might also be part of it.

Second was someone who had always been okay to play with but didn't read the fucking rules, never learned them when explained, and rarely if ever kept his sheet updated. Dude dipped mid-session and so I made the decision to cut him and replace him with someone else who was eager to play the system we were playing and just locked him out of the game and server room.

In both instances, the player had done something worthy of it; I don't kick or ban players from my games frequently because I have a handful of pretty stable groups, and I think going forward I won't have to kick or ban any more.
>>
>>82317717
>Just let the man shoot a child over a prank!
If I was in that game I would have "roleplayed" right back and done "what my character would do" and attack the rogue for trying to harm an innocent child.

Go fuck yourself you entitled faggot that-guy.
>>
>>82317735
>>82317897
Yes, that would have been a valid response. Removing him from the session is the opposite of roleplaying, it's a manchild response
>>
>>82316640
>Discord
>calls these people "friends"
>clueless to his behavior or pretends not to know what he did to anger people
>everyone acts like teenage primadonas
Honestly you probably all deserve each other. And you're likely 15 year old. Online players and playing are cancer.
>>
>>82317914
No, it's cutting out the tumor before it becomes full-on cancer. If questioned on why his character is trying to shoot a fucking child and his response is something as lazy as "iT's WhAt My ChArAcTeR wOuLd Do!!!!1" then he's just going to cause problems in the future and it's best to get him out before he can kill the whole game.
>>
>>82317914
That's what I and the other players did, but the guy had none of it and to be fair, nothing before that suggested that he would do such a thing. We the players didn't call for him being kicked, it was the gm call after none of us would budge on our decision(us to not shoot the child, him to shoot the child)
I wouldn't call that railroading, it's just that we were handling the situation differently and no one was changing their mind (and why would we), gm deemed that the guy was in the wrong for acting like a retard and moved on. Would you rather have the same argument or pvp going on for 4 hours?
>>
>>82316640
>Discord
It's normal to be banned from there, considering servers are usually run by a bunch of söy chugging, delusional, panty-waist faggots.
>>
>>82317960
Well the campaign died anyway because the player who replaced him ended being a different kind of dumb, the guy was really nice but made a fetishy priestess of love/lust who couldn't roleplay that for shit. Tried to seduce and bang anything (even if it was doing us a disservice) gm ended up dropping the campaign because the player dragged every session down with his antics
>>
Not really a ban, but we sort of soft-banned our forever GM by all just quitting his games and declining to start another arch. Kind of sad, we are all good friends irl and have been for oever 10 years. GM has been GMing for us for a long time and was a fantastic GM for our group for years.

He's almost too enthusiastic, though, and wants constant games. Even multiple times per week if he can swing. There's not a player in our group that hasn't gotten burnt out playing with him after a few months. The games start to feel like more of a chore/obligation than something to look forward to. That, and typical session isn't 3-4 hours, but usually 6 minimum.

Nail in the coffin is when the breakneck pace gets coupled with poor games and habits. GM gets critical role GF obsessed with watching us and not playing. Kind of uncomfortable. Sessions go down in quality, nothing planned, flounder around for hours, constant distractions. Nothing happens, nothing gets done, constnat 15-30 minute breaks and interruptions. Then deus ex GM solution at end of session or arc. Have a few post-mortems after sessions and arcs, explain problems, fixes, good stuff bad stuff. Go on, nothing really improves.

Finally we finished the last arc and just kind of collectively said "We don't really want to start up another right now, we're good." It's been fine, we all have tons of other shit to be doing. All our lives are busy and complicated and we still meet a couple times per month to hangout or do other /tg/ stuff, just not TTRPG. I still get to se my friends, no one was butthurt, happy ending.

Sorry it wasn't more dramatic for you, fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>82318000
As I said >>82317801 I've had far better luck. My guess is your GM just doesn't learn from his mistakes and didn't tighten up his filter after the first fuckboy.
>>
>>82316859
>>82316953
So petty drama is the reason people misbehave and ban others without clarifying the reason. Not really a surprise that it comes down to something as banal as that.
>>
File: 1579159995205.png (8 KB, 186x271)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>82317960
>NOOOOOOOOOOOO HOW DARE YOU ROLEPLAY A DECISION THAT MY MODERN NEO LIBERAL WESTERN MORALS DISAGREES WITH!!! HOW COULD YOU NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
>>
>>82317976
Why were you even involved in deciding another players actions? Like I said, shitty roleplaying.
>>
>>82318151
>Player is about to ruin our relationship and ongoing investigation (the goal of the group)
>Somehow we shouldn't try to reason in character with the player
It's not like we attacked him or started pvp, I just stepped in front of the kid and told him to call down because of the abode reasons. Even got the item back so that he could get it, but he was still adamant about killing the kid. Who's doing a shitty roleplay here? We were all in the same room, it's not like I told him to not do something while my character wasn't present.
>>
>>82318138
Come on, a crossbow bolt is a bit too much for a petty thief, just cutting off a hand would be enough
>>
>>82318072
What?
>>
>>82316976
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>82316640
You either know what you did and are obfuscating it to feel better about yourself which will perpetuate this cycle of alienation, or you have no idea at all. They're probably better off without you either way.
>>
>>82318217
Reasoning with him in game is the right decision, but if his PC couldn't be reasoned with in game, taking real world action because he isn't roleplaying how you want is where you crossed the line. His character was making a bad choice, that happens in roleplaying. You're asshurt because he was going to interfere with your story shitting, so you banned him. You're not in control of other players actions. Stop trying to micro manage what other players do in the real world, react to what they do in game instead. If he shot the kid? Okay then kill his character and he done with it
>>
>>82318531
This. What's the point of roleplaying if you're going to remove players because they made their own choices?
>>
>>82318531
>>82318577
>MUH STORYSHITTING
Confirmed the faggot spamming this forced meme is That Guy and a murderhobo.
>>
>>82316976
LARP'ing
>>
Let him kill the child. Have him fight the guards alone.
>>
File: 1584540996392.png (102 KB, 801x1011)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>82318651
>Reddit buzzwords
Can't say I'm surprised
>>
>>82318531
Actual retarded murder hobo confirmed.
>>
>>82316640
> Discord drama

Grow up
>>
>>82316942
>isl
Are you a dumb spic as well?
>>
>>82318749
What's even the difference between that and today's newfag and a /pol/tard anyways?
>>
>>82318749
>Reddit buzzwords
Like storyshitting?
>>
I was about to post that we've never outright kicked out players, only banned them after they left(Because usually they'll just randomly peace out/ghost and then get mad months later when we don't let them come back), but we did ban one player.
>Made a character who was a gimmick at best
>Barely roleplayed, barely talked
>Treated the game like a video game, obvious "that guy" shit
>Got whiny and pissy when we wanted to use diplomacy instead of mindlessly butchering our enemies.
>Eventually take a break from the campaign for multiple reasons, decide to do a different system.
>He makes a broken-ass character in the system
>As in immediately bee-lined for the one thing that people online say is unbalanced about the system
>Clearly google'd OP builds while everyone else just wanted to make characters that they liked
>Gets really mad and defensive when we try to discuss changing the character a bit
>Immediately starts sandbagging each session and treating them like a joke
>Becomes the "lolsorandom" guy who does nothing but insults us and does disruptive bullshit while we try to make progress
>At the end of the campaign we decide to kick him out of the games
>He starts some big, hostile arguments and immediately tries to burn every bridge possible, even with acquaintances who aren't even in the game
>>
>>82316640
I got banned from a local gaming bar, because I wrote an article what a horrible place it is and how much they are ripping off kids there for the local paper.
The curious thing is that they doubled down on ripping off as a result of said article.
>>
>>82317384
Do women really like these annoying types with no self-awareness?
>>
File: 1637587622981.png (159 KB, 1252x799)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>82318982
>we wanted to use diplomacy instead of butchering our enemies
Get your T levels checked, and lay off the söy lattes
>>
>>82319085
The day you realize just how stupid women are is the day they stop having power over you.
>>
>>82319110
playing dnd like a hack and slash isn't fun because it's combat mechanics lack depth
>>
>>82319277
But the social mechanics are worse
>>
>>82319277
Killing your enemies isn't "hack and slash," it's been the expectation in RPGs since the very beginning
>>
We banned two people. One was a temp ban because he broke the GMs wall and bookshelf by punching it in rage over a nat 1. He was allowed to rejoin a few months later. A year after that another player got kicked because he said he didn't support BLM, so they made a separate Facebook group and discussed how to confront him then did so in text as this was during the quarantines and we were all playing online. Then they mailed him the possessions he'd left at their place and never spoke to him again. This was after over ten years of playing together.
>>
>>82316640
I said doxxing JK Rowling was wrong.
>>
>>82318985
Kek do you have a pic of the article?
>>
>>82318985
>The curious thing is that they doubled down on ripping off as a result of said article.
"Oy vey, you sound like that Nazi in the paper. You're not agreeing with him are you?"
>>
>>82319427
Don't care about the twitter shit but I'll give the haters this one she deserves it for Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts.
>>
>>82319423
I thought this was bait at first, then I remembered most rpg players are redditors and now I really do believe it happened
>>
>>82317329
>I mean the group was still up even after a other campaign ended so i doubt they would delete the server without saying a thing.
Some shit people do shitty things, especially when they're entitled and burned out.
>>
>>82319384
RPGs have evolved and diversified since then (yes I know you're going to take the term "diversified" out of context and assume it means MUH SJAYDUBYAS instead of its actual meaning within context like the disingenuous fuck you are, I don't care). There are more games and more ways of playing than just "go here, murder shit get loot" because video games have largely encroached on that territory in this day and age, particularly the roguelike genre which shares most of its qualities with older editions of D&D. These days, TTRPGs have a new niche and that is of emergent storytelling where every choice the players make leads to new and exciting outcomes in the tale they're weaving with the GM rather than the GM just throwing random monsters at the party in long corridors filled with deadly traps. Outside of the OSR movement, most games are less trial and error simulators and more social games meant to be played with close friends and used to tell a story together where the dice throw in unexpected outcomes forcing the players and GM to react accordingly like one of those "We write a letter to X" threads that have been part of 4chan culture since the olden days.
>>
>>82319491
No it's 100 percent real I'm afraid.
>>
>>82316640
>Discord
Found your problem faggot.
>>
>>82319384
Attempting to talk to them has always been an option, and the 1st edition DMG suggests it should be encouraged.
>>
Funnily enough what turned into talking to somebody resulted in a soft ban.
>Played a few games before, would always play as either some bad ass elite barbarian type or Skyrim tier thief that would murder hobo
>Often ran games so I never saw the red flags coming because I was always busy but I never liked him or the characters he played
>Eventually somebody moved and our games got put online
>Between a main campaign I got to play in and some one shots in-between I also played or ran I started to notice a change in behavior from that guy
>Tried to do munchkin bullshit with the rules, epically if they were loose and role play related
>Tried to play it like a video game like as if it was a Skyrim stealth or going on 10+ solo missions every other game
>More and more murderhobo moments, only really stepping in if it would cause trouble with the whole group down the line (We were already trying to clear our name and prove we were not the bad guys as the main plot)
>Would meta game, power game and even cheat but because he never reads the rules most of the time it would end up compensating for his stupidity
>Got to the point where he started to disrespect the GM
>Had my breaking point where he meta gamed to find where I was just to fuck me over and nearly caused a TPK when he cast fireball on an adult red dragon right after I talked the dragon into letting us go after appeasing it with gifts
>And before that he had a disturbing moment torturing a Kobold by smashing its eggs forcing it to watch just for the lols
>Blatantly cheated, taking three or four actions in a turn (Again, skyrim logic of emptying your backpack and picking up items as a free action in the middle of battle) and then moving through other peoples spaces to run away
>Then spent 5+ minutes trying to con people into giving him free shit with epic nat 20 rolls that he attempted to do over and over again in a one shot campaign
To be continued.
>>
>>82318981
It's a forced meme, same person who's been trying to force the term freakshit for years, now the newer one is "just try nu sistems" for people suggesting you don't use 5e for everything.
>>
>>82316640
In college my group was spread across the state and we’d meet up for one weekend a month to game. One player, a housemate actually, would always end up having to do something else that weekend after plans had been made. After two months of aborting the game because he couldn’t make it, we just stopped telling him the schedule. Since he lived in the house of course he walked in on the game session.
>what the hell guys!?
>you never show up anyway
He sat and watched about five minutes and then went to a party (which was what he would have done even if he’d been invited).
>>
File: 1607720280722.jpg (22 KB, 400x462)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>82319786
>Told him to "stop being a fucking idiot" and told him what is wrong with him
>His first reply was "It's just a game, I am just trying to have fun. Why are you trying to kick me?!"
>I never mentioned kicking him, figured he is trying to manipulate people at the table into making me the bad guy
>Go all out, lay it on thick about his cheating habits and how he nearly fucking killed the entire group just for a bit of treasure
>Kept coming up with all these excuses and how it was never his fault
>The only reason why I called him out was because I had solid proof this time
>I said that he had to meta game in order to go down the path and then find where I was (was in a secret room trying to interrogate a kobold that didn't even last 30 seconds) in order to kill my kobold for no reason
>The most damning part was the fact that both me and the kobold was silent as I was trying to interact with it through gestures and pictures knowing I can't speak kobold
>Finally get him to admit on this one aspect of him cheating
>Rest of the group is silent not picking sides
>Get a private message from one person saying how emotionally upset he is at two friends fighting even though I am not that guys friend
>That guy says he will change his ways
>Two weeks later goes back to being a fucking murder hobo
>Rest of the group just makes a new server and doesn't invite that guy
I was willing to kick him myself to hear him scream and be mad but this works also. People hate confrontation, especially nerds. I have a feeling they knew he was being an asshole but didn't want to hurt his feelings and that guy thought he could get away with his fuckery on me seeing hos passive everyone was.
>>
>>82318531
How many times do we have to teach you this lesson fucknoggler
>>
>>82316640
My table bans for two things - absolute refusal by a player to learn the system, and bringing any sort of real life politics/drama/alphabet soup into the game.

We've had three bans in twelve or thirteen years of gathering around the table, out of numerous girlfriends, old buddies, that-guy-from-school-way-back-whens, and random folks dragged in and out over the years.

The first ban was for a guy who kept trying to use 5e rules in our 3.5 game even though just about everybody at the table volunteered to incrementally walk him through his character options over the first session or two.

The second ban was a woman who wanted to play a social activist in game and kept rolling up characters whose primary motivation was to fight bigots/-isms/straight men and did not understand why we didn't want this sort of politics at our table (Full of straight men)

The third ban was a guy who kept trying to call people out over bantz and talk and turn it into a personal or moral issue.
>You shouldn't say things like that, it offends X!
Look, my Sun Elf doesn't like Orcs for a reason, okay? I'd be happy to explain it to you if you'd shut up long enough to listen to the lore discussion, but if your response is that lore shouldn't be constructed in such a way that it hurts your feelings, we're just gonna go get somebody else to play with because its less work.
>>
>>82319441
The whole story is a fabrication. He doesn't.
>>
>>82319865
The egg smashing sounds funny and the one who messaged you is a pussy. Other than that I would have given up on him early on.
>>
>>82316640
There was no table when your only on the internet.
>>
>>82316640
some right wing chud in a Trump hat whose orc kept asking if female NPCs were white and then raped an ape
>>
>>82320664
>Abortion is funny!
Found the commie.
>>
>>82319660
Reddit called, they want you to come back
>>
>>82318531
>Reading comprehension
I wasn't the one who banned him retard
>>
>>82320859
>r-reddit!
Not an argument, and furthermore the fact you seem to know what is and isn't reddit while I have no clue implies you're the one who has to go back.
>>
>>82320850
Not him, but it's quite the opposite. I support abortion because it means less black and Hispanic babies in my country.
>>
>>82320948
>not an argument!!!
The fact you want to argue like a teenage girl proves me right. Post physique
>>
>>82317735
do that in game
tackle him to the ground or cast on him or talk him down in character
from the story it sounds like he was just scaring the spoilt child
>>
>>82316640
You type like you are too young to be on this site.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.