[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Vore Edition

>UA: Travelers of the Multiverse
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_TravelersoftheMultiverse.pdf

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Trove
The T̶r̶o̶v̶e̶ Vault (seed, please!):
bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>82304568

Which D&D races are most likely to devour fallen enemies?
>>
Anyone ise disguise self just for the purposes of fashion?
>>
File: meanelves573.png (7 KB, 625x278)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>82310372
>Which D&D races are most likely to devour fallen enemies?
Elves
>>
Make a better monk than monk using at most 3 multiclass
>>
>>82310409
I use it to hide facial disfigurement.
>>
>>82310435
Vuman or Custom Lineage Barbarian. Take Fighting Initiate as your feat. Take Unarmed Fighting as your Fighting Style.
Go nuts.
Choose a subclass you like. Beast can make sense and simulate Monk's vertical mobility with the climbing stuff. Zealot hits like a truck and won't die ever eventually. Totem is generically good.
>>
>>82310435
Barbarian 5/fighter 4/Rogue X
Bonus action dash and disengage, unarmed fighting style, expertise in athletics, three choices of subclass, resistance to physical damage, and multiple damage steroids possible.
Depending on what level you're starting as you may want to instead go Fighter 5 first and then start picking up barbarian and rogue levels afterwards. Or go to fighter 6 for the bonus feat. Whatever you do, don't delay Extra Attack.
>>
>>82310435
Monks use spears so fighter 20 with no special feats
>>
>>82310532
Scale that for a campaign that only reaches 10
>>
>>82310518
Flurry of blows still outpaces. V Human monk with fighting initiate unarmed combat beats it at low levels and normal monk beats it at high levels l.
>>
>>82310541
Has to not wear armor
>>
>>82310560
>d8 hit die and no resistances
barbarian will outpace you when you're six feet under
>>
>>82310435
>fighter
>reflavor greatsword as unarmed attacks
>>
>>82310565
Eldritch adept mage armor with a finesse weapon and the duelist fighting style
>>
>>82310372
Gnolls like their meat so fresh it's still screaming.
Lizardfolk don't waste anything.
Bugbears have no qualms about eating lesser creatures but they're rather "put them into a stewpot first."
Goblins and Kobolds are known to drag corpses to lairs.
Orcs prefer animals to humanoids.
Trolls and Ogres...
(Hobgoblin lore is somewhere between "put 'em into chains" and "full-burnt sacrifice for Maglubiyet's glory".)
>>
>>82310565
>has to not wear armor
Okay, then just a barbarian, I guess, since we are only going to 10 barbarian doesn't really start falling off yet
>>
>>82310552
Vuman barbarian with fighting initiate:unarmed fighting style, five levels of barbarian then five levels of rogue. If you don't want the barbarian durability play a fighter and go 6/4 split instead so you'll get three ASIs.
>>
File: Gelatinous_Cube_3e.jpg (13 KB, 340x245)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>82310602
Of course, there are also slimes like Black Pudding, Gelatinous Cube or Ochre Jelly...
>>
File: 5e_char_pixel1.png (37 KB, 504x423)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Rate my backstory / character portrait:
>human rune knight fighter with hermit background
>lives alone in cabin he built in mountains with sauna
>meditates on giant runes, helped to protect nearby villages a few times
>his name means "twin" after his twin brother/sister (haven't decided yet) was stillborn, and he was left with one milky eye as a birth defect
>he can still see out of the eye but it did cause him torment from other children
>studies and meditates on giant runes hoping it might give him insight into the spirit world and allow him to communicate with his dead sibling and .... apologize? just chat? not sure yet. not sure if it will happen.
>>
>>82310667
giant runes have basically nothing to do with the occult or spirit world and the entire twin subplot seems unnecessary. Why can't you just be a mountain hermit who wants to be 20 feet tall and wrestle mammoths?
>>
>>82310667
What i actually care about is why your character is adventuring and your backstory does not answer that
>>
>>82310435
Unarmed Fighter/Barbarian. Take shifter as a race so you can even get a bonus action BA.

If you want the full "Unarmed Dex fighter" package, Battlemaster fighter X/Monk 1 that takes Mobile at some point. You get everything people really want from monk + more (A BA attack, Action Surge and Extra Attack 2 for a bunch of attacks, non-spell control, extra movement, unarmed defence, d8 attack die 9 levels early). If you want you can take an extra monk level somewhere down the line for extra movement speed, dedicated weapon for longsword usage and a twice per short rest flurry.

Straight barbarian (beast) simic hybrid. Beast cares a little less about your actual weapon damage because 2/3rds of your attacks will be with your claws anyway.

If you want to get really mystical you can go soulknife rogue and get unarmoured defence from somewhere (like race, dipping a caster with mage armour or dipping barb) and reflavour your blades as super special martial arts.
>>
>>82310703
To track down and get revenge against every kid who made fun of his eye.
>>
>>82310435
Rune Knight 3 with Calligrapher's Supplies and Painter's Supplies proficiency from the background. Take the Fire rune for double prof bonus on the tools.
Also you might want to take the feat Linguist.
>>
>>82310782
Revenge is a good reason to adventure. Good enough as any. What will you do when you find one?
>>
>>82310859
cry and explain the insecurity that resulted took years to overcome
>>
>>82310689
>Why can't you just be a mountain hermit who wants to be 20 feet tall and wrestle mammoths?
Because that's stupid.

>>82310703
>What i actually care about is why your character is adventuring and your backstory does not answer that
Fair enough. It's mostly to learn more giant runes to be able to understand giant magic more fully, thus working toward his character goal. Also... because the local lord summoned him to help, and he still owes him allegiance. But yeah, this is why I usually don't have backstories.
>>
>>82310887
>because that's stupid
no, studying giant runes to do anything OTHER than wrestle mammoths is what's stupid, since rune knights CAN become 20 feet tall and CABNOT speak to fucking ghosts
>>
>Want to have a family of secret werewolves in Curse of Strahd game
>Looking for vaguely slavic or slavic-adjacent names meaning "Wolf"
>There's Volk, it's ancient slavic
>There's Gela, it's georgian
>And there's Adolf.

Should I...
>>
>>82310409
Social shenanigans if I’m not playing a lawful good character. It’s really fun on a warlock with mask of many faces. You can just completely change your appearance whenever you want without using a spell slot.
>>
is "you can only have advantage from being an unseen attacker on a target that you yourself can see" a bad houser ule? i hate the way fog cloud works and think it should just drop a fat ball of disadvantage on everybody, so that it actually functions as a smokescreen should
>>
>>82310638
This. Except they won’t wait until you’ve fallen. Gelatinous Cubes are more than happy to eat you alive.
>>
>>82310931
Just use Armenian. Easy to find in google translate and nobody ever fucking knows the language.
>>
>>82310935
I don’t see why it should be a problem. Unless you have blind fighting you probably shouldn’t have advantage on an enemy if you can’t see them.
>>
>>82310935
I think fog cloud is fine the way it is.
>>
>>82310935
What's wrong with Fog Cloud being a "no double d20's" zone? It's useful to shut down an enemy ambush.
>>
File: Zac_0.jpg (143 KB, 1215x717)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
How do I build him, /5eg/?
>>
>>82311033
Its dumb and silly. You can attack then normally even though you can't see them? Very dumb.
>>82310989
I didn't ask.
>>
Redpill me on War Wizard.
>>
>>82311079
You asked if your house rule is bad, to which I reply yes, yes it is bad.
>>
>>82311033
original replier here, i just think it's really goofy that standing out in an open field and shooting at each other often has no mechanical difference between standing in an open field with a giant fucking cloud of fog in the way while shooting at each other
i might just add another spell to my game called Zone of Order where you can't have advantage or disadvantage within it in order to serve the same purpose as RAW fog cloud
>>
>>82311079
>you can attack them normally?
Explicitly because your target is unable to defend themselves properly. Is it so hard to understand?
>>
>>82311113
lol that guy isn't me, but thanks for the response i guess
>>
>>82311094
Free Shield spell
>>
>>82311133
and surely you shouldn't be able to attack properly since, you know, you're in a giant cloud of thick blinding fog
>>
>>82311076
There was some guy on reddit's /r/3d6 who was turning league characters into 5e characters, look there.
>>
>>82310372
>Vore Edition

Go fuck yourself, you worthless filthy scum. It is shitbirds like you that make 5e SJWs seem decent and reasonable.
>>
>>82311094
+4 to a save as a reaction
>>
>>82311129
If he can’t see you preparing to shoot you with a bow, how can you see him to shoot in the first place? I don’t think the spell is broken, but it doesn’t really make sense.
>>
>>82311159
Yes, which is why the attack is made normally instead of at advantage. This is the same as being caught flat footed while having cover in 3.5. You have a bonus and a malus that works itself in the math.
>>
>>82311212
You don't even know where they are. Your blind swing should be at disadvantage.
>>
>>82311235
If they aren't trying to conceal their own sounds e.g. by hiding, you know more or less exactly where they are.
>>
>>82311235
RAW you do though, unless they're Hiding you can still hear them
>>
>DM gave me a cursed magical halberd -3 a few sessions ago
>use it to beat the shit out of shapeshifting furries today
>it upgraded to a -2
>>
>>82311076
Strength Based unarmed plasmoid. Probably Barbarian with the unarmed fighting style
>>
>>82311212
if you can't attack properly, and your opponent can't defend himself properly, those two effects shouldn't cancel each other out. if you dropped a smoke bomb on a street fight they're not just gonna keep on going as if nothing's happened, everyone's going to start missing their punches if they decide to attack things that they can't see
your sword isn't magnetically attracted to people's faces and if you can't see something you shouldn't be able to have advantage to attack it
>>
>>82311250
>>82311252
which is also really fucking stupid
>stand totally stationary in complete pitch black darkness
>opponent can fucking home in on me like a bloodhound even if they have 1 WIS because i didn't take the hide action
>>
>>82311183
Are you that fag that has been whining about almost every thread image? Because you sound just as annoying.
>>
>>82311278
The point of a smoke bomb mechanically is literally that you can now hide in the smoke where previously you were in plain sight and could not hide. I do not see the problem.
>>
>>82311293
You're not standing still in combat. And if you ARE standing still you're trying to Hide, thus prompting a Stealth check to see how well you're hiding
You're trying to find a problem where there isn't one
>>
>>82311293
Standing totally stationary in the midst of combat is an attempt to hide.
>>
>>82311319
the problem is that an archer, despite not being able to see where you are, is able to shoot you from 150ft away, even if he has 1 WIS, while you're totally obscured in a fog cloud, because you didn't hide and thus he can hear you
>>
I'm gonna play as a hot tiefling girl with big horns, and there is nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>82311325
>>82311336
wrong
Dodge and Search are both actions that wouldn't involve any movement (Dodge would involve movement when something tries to attack you nothing more)
>>
>>82310372
>Warforged Rune Knight with Unarmed Fighting Style, Tavern Brawler and Crusher
ENTER
>>
>>82311381
You are actually autistic.
>>
>>82311381
Yes they fucking would, you're not attempting to stand still when dodging, you're constantly on your feet, look up how boxers move during a fight. When searching you'd be moving your body and head, usually also your arms as you usually have to inspect something.
Stop digging deeper and admit you're wrong dude, or not, but this is pathetic
>>
>>82311395
Why do you keep posting this? fucking hell I want to try it so bad.
>>
>>82311400
i tried to muster the words to come up with some kind of venomous 4chan appropriate response to this but ultimately you're correct. yes i am
maybe this system just isn't for me
>>
>>82311427
lol, my character has to bounce around on the balls of his fucking toes constantly to dodge incoming attacks? my character has to move his head around like a fucking chicken in order to focus his eyes on something and roll a perception check?
>bro you moved your head too loudly while doing that Search action you alerted the enemy
now you're just being ridiculous
>>
>>82311395
i don't get the crusher feat on this. doesn't seem like it would be used much?
>>
What's the point in playing cleric like a heal slut when it can easily contribute the most to combat in terms of damage, buffs and debuffs. Depending on subclass we can even get in the front lines with everyone else.
If you want a heal slut you can pay some gold for potions. Take the healer feat or even take magic initiate.
It's about time you start taking care of your own healing.
>>
>>82311453
Yes, that combined with you're breathing and the sound your armor/shoes/weapons make give people a general idea of the 5 foot square you're located in
>>
>>82311359
This is an extrapolation of encounter distance rules (no or poor vision means encounters start at 2d6x10 feet)
So if the archer is roughly 70 feet away, he would probably not be able to hear the guy sheltering in the fog cloud. This isn't RAW but rather an extrapolation of existing rules, just like a lot of the rules the community accepts about how sneaking and hiding works.
>>
>>82311475
Where are you getting the "Cleric is healslut" meme from? No one plays like that because healing in D&D sucks
>>
>>82310409
Yup. I do. Especially if we are in town and there's little to no combat for the day.
I had a mask of many faces warlock who took on a new appearance every few levels and I'd re introduce them as a new character. I went hexblade so I could flavour my pc as several different martials.
>>
>>82311475
>Healslut
Healing in 5e is a suckers game, there's one time you should be burning spell slots on healing, and that's when people are downed, or when you won't be in a position to heal them once they're downed.

In dire circumstances where you're healing someone, any amount you heal, unless you burn some REALLY big slots, will likely be dealt next turn by whoever they're fighting. Odds are decent they'll even deal such excessive damage that your healing will have been rendered pointless in the first place.

The only people who genuinely think Clerics should spend all their spell slots healing, or focus into healing, are either ignorant, or trying to play to a theme.

Which is why in my opinion Grave is 100% the best healer, as it turns healing when someone is down from merely the appropriate time to heal, to the ONLY time you want to heal. That is unless your only healing is Healing Word, in which case the increase is relatively minor.

It's not action economy efficient, but a 3rd level Cure Wounds on a downed person is probably 28 healing.
>>
>>82311494
honestly stealth, obscured enemies and all of that shit is the messiest fucking part of 5e, and two blind enemies being able to fight just fine even when loosing arrows at each other is part of that general fuckery
some actually solid rules on stealth, even if it gets a bit crunchy and autistic, and how you know where an enemy is, would be good for the health of the system and would lead to less general confusion
>>82311488
>stand still, heavily obscured environment
>focus my hearing, Search action
>breathing at a normal rate
>enemy from 150ft away can hear me and shoots an arrow at me with no negative effect on his accuracy
bullshit
>>
>>82311505
Healing would be cool if there were rider effects or it wasn't just healing, like
>Heal 1d6, Haste for 1 turn
>Heal 1d10, Heal the same amount next turn
>Deal 1d6 damage to an enemy, Heal an ally 1d6, 30ft range
>>
>>82311570
Life cleric has the brute healing force to make it work, and there are some spells that are usable out of combat, like healing spirit, which is still potent even though it was nerfed
>>
Attention: Fuck the Undead.
That is all.
>>
File: 1735463456.png (161 KB, 900x755)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
how would I build a humanoid with ghost powers like pic related? bonus points if he can wield a sword
>>
>>82311696
You fucking can't. Just accept that, or find a new system, to crudely insert shitty characters into.

Like I don't know, Mutants and Masterminds. The game literally fucking designed to represent superheroes with superpowers.
>>
>>82311696
Undead Warlock, spam EB, pick Pact of the Blade just to be unoptimal for the fuck of it i guess
>>
>>82311736
i just want ghost powers like Danny Phantoms
>>
>>82311576
That is all fine, but if the archer does actually know where you are standing he's not just firing into the cloud and hoping to hit something. at the same time you have no vision of the incoming shot you can't defend properly from it.
>>
>>82311696
Undead Warlock is pretty much the closest you've got. Alternatively Phantom Rogue.
>>
>>82311755
so a random fucking bandit is able to hear me breathing and lay an expertly placed shot on someone he can't even fucking see with a longbow, something that should be near impossible for all but the best trained archers, and that's okay
i think the problem is that all enemies in 5e can evidently echolocate RAW and the second they hear you they have your outline flawlessly envisioned like a fucking video game with wallhack outlines, the Blinded condition and Fog Cloud aren't what's at fault here
>>
>play martial
>never get a magic melee weapon
>useless for the rest of the game
Fantastic game design
>>
>>82311505
>>82311570
A couple threads ago you lot sperged out about a cleric who holds their healing back.
But I've decided if you want healing gogo take a feat or something. Ya life's in your own hands.
>>
What do you do on purpose to make the DM and/or the other players uncomfortable?
>>
>>82311832
Sort of.
>>
>>82311867
ask NPCs what their names are, what they work as, and the names of their family, what their opinions are of local nobles (and to name those too), just force your GM to improv as much as possible and he'll want to punch you
>>
>>82311867
Flirt.
>>
>>82311822
>a fucking bandit
If he has proficiency with the weapon he is using, he is not just "a fucking bandit" he is also a talented combatant who has put his time in practicing with his weapon. So yes, he can attempt to place an expertly placed shot, that is what the roll is for. He would normally do this at disadvantage because he is not able to see you but since are unable to react properly, you are not able to turn aside or step out of the path of incoming arrows.

Would these two circumstances negate each other fully? Maybe not if you are playing GURPS but you're not playing GURPS. you are playing 5e.
>>
>>82311884
I actually kinda like this sort of thing, because it helps build a ton of random stuff that I could set up.
>>
File: feels_good.jpg (36 KB, 659x609)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>finally finished that dungeon I didn't feel like finishing
fucking finally
>>
>>82310895
Well not as an in-game ability. he isn't necessarily 100% aware of the potential abilities he might gain.
>>
I would like some thematic feats for psi warrior. Got obvious ones already, any third party or homebrew suggesions?
>>
>>82311908
the fact that you absolutely refuse to process that this is an utterly retarded sequence of interactions is the only frustrating part of this argument - even common bandits, if they have longbow proficiency, are able to locate you and shoot at you by hearing you breathe from 100+ft away, a literal superhuman feat, and you justify this because "well i guess you can't see it coming so it's just as likely to hit as if they could see you lol"
>Would these two circumstances negate each other fully? Maybe not if you are playing GURPS but you're not playing GURPS. you are playing 5e.
this is fixed with one easy homebrew rule, nothing on the tier of GURPS complexity - and that homebrew rule is that if you are an unseen attacker, you must be able to see your target to attack with advantage, otherwise you have disadvantage. but since there's no evidence to the contrary and you so staunchly defend it, i can only assume that you think 5e's way of handling it is perfect, is completely logically sound and doesn't need tweaking, when to anyone with the slightest bit of common fucking sense it's ridiculous that someone should be able to snipe you with no disadvantage when they can't fucking see you
>>
>>82311922
>did a zero prep session 1 to get an idea of what the players wanted to do
>random tavern to bring them together for rp time after being accosted in the back alleys
>player asks what the tavern is called
>said the first thing that popped into my mind

The "Tawdry Pauper" is now a recurring establishment in my campaigns
>>
How do you handle when your female characters have sexy-sex. Do you roll a d6 to see if they get pregnant?
>>
>>82312027
I have already stated that 70' is about as far as you can hear baseline activity ccording to interpreting existing rules and that seems reasonable to me. If he was firing outside of that range, he would likely target the wrong space.

This is not a problem and therefore does not require a solution. 5e is supposed to be quick and dirty, rounds take long enough without getting into autismal houserules.
>>
>>82312076
I only let them fuck me in the ass. Solves all the problems.
>>
>>82311929
>players avoid it completely.
>>
>>82312099
how the fuck is that an autismal houserule
>am i unseen? yes
>can i see him? no
>guess i have disadvantage
if this takes your players more than 2 seconds to resolve you need to stop playing with toddlers before someone calls the police on you
>I have already stated that 70' is about as far as you can hear baseline activity ccording to interpreting existing rules and that seems reasonable to me.
fair enough, and actually useful to me - though could you give me the source of these rules so i can properly employ them at my table
>>
Is your female character your waifu?
Just admit it.
>>
Is there somewhere i can just take encounters and maps from? I like writing encounters and shit but not designing the combat aspect
>>
>>82312117
The encounter distance table in the dmg states that in situations with no or poor visibility, such as in a jungle or thick forest, encounters start at an average of 2d6x10 feet (average 70).

There is no explicit rule. This is my own extrapolation from existing rules.
>>
If you play a female character unironically you are a huge cuck
>>
File: fIZ1L6u.png (121 KB, 307x258)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>82312179
>saying you have disadvantage to shoot a guy you can't see is autismal
>extrapolating homebrew hearing distances from encounter distance table dice averages isn't
whatever man. i'm probably still gonna use it so thank you i guess. this is a dumb thing to argue about any further, so you have a nice night anon
>>
how good is Undead Warlock? is it fun?
>>
>STR-based martial/half-caster
>DEX-based martial/half-caster
>INT-based caster
>WIS-based caster
>CHA-based caster

What's the best 1st to 10th level party you can do within the parameters of these five character descriptions?
>>
File: DPDT.png (1.78 MB, 2000x1000)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
Which one of these would the last dwarf you played have appreciated the most, and why?
>>
>>82312350
1. EK
2. Paladin (whatever)
3. Abjurer
4. Wildfire druid
5. Idk. Some kind of warlock I guess, or bard if warlocks don't count as full casters
>>
>>82312228
I think you've been cucked by your own desperate need for validation. "Anon, please! I've set out the bait! Punish me! Embarrass me! Tell me I'm wrong, just please! Pleas acknowledge me!"

I will, anon. This time. I know it sucks being this wounded animal thing. Get help.
>>
>>82312350
1. Paladin. doesn't matter which
2. DPR monster Battlemaster Fighter Sharpshooter XBE
3. Chronurgy Wizard
4. Peace Cleric
5. Lore Bard
>>
>>82312432
one of my current players, the first players i've ever GMed for, is a dwarven drunken master STR monk, so definitely the thrower
don't ask. he rolled insane enough stats for it to work, and i've buffed monks as any sane GM does
>>
>>82312455
Okay, so if we are trying to make the best party, I am going to play heavily on push/pulling with lots of area hazard type spells. So I switch str to rune knight fighter, I switch cha to dao warlock, and int to graviturgist. Don't have good ideas for the others yet, but the wildfire druid is still really good in this party.
>>
>>82312432
I'd love to get a Dwarven Thrower - I play dwarves very frequently, but the group's never gotten one when I was playing a dwarf.
>>
File: (you).png (379 KB, 500x372)
379 KB
379 KB PNG
>get tired of /5eg/ autism
>join a facebook 5e optimization group
>there's two autists arguing about dual wielding
>"dex is not better than strength"
>deactivate facebook again
I take it all back. Tell me how Bards shouldn't exist. It's better than the shit normies post under their real names.
>>
>>82312432
Unironically, I had both. I was powerful enough in my own right that I mainly used the Thrower as a sidearm. Probably the greatest character I've ever played.
>>
File: 1562436599784.png (277 KB, 621x640)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
>do something cool in game
>a party member says "based"
It's the little things that make tabletops fun
>>
>>82312350
>Watchers Paladin (any other oath is fine too) with PAM and a Shield, Dueling FS
>Gloom Stalker Ranger with SS+CBE
>Scribes Wizard (anything works really, I just like Scribes better)
>Peace Cleric
>Clockwork Soul Sorcerer
>>
>>82313002
Normalfags are beyond retarded, it shouldn't be surprising.
After all D&D is made for them.
>>
>>82312350
any paladin
any ranger if stealth and exploration matter, else any rogue
any wizard
any cleric w/ heavy armor, has to frontline
any bard
>>
>>82313099
>best party
>rogue
What for? Expertise on thieves' tools?
>>
>>82313002
>tell me how bards shouldn't exist
Gladly.
>>
File: behr.jpg (21 KB, 530x530)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
which player race would be the best to reskin as an awakened polar bear
>>
>>82313134
Goliath.
>>
>>82313134
Goliath for the cold resistance, assuming you either don't care about natural weapons or you're getting them from a class/feat.
>>
>>82313115
More and better expertise, damage scales after level 5 unlike Ranger, actual defensive abilities, more versatile thanks to Cunning Action.
Also I wanted to write Fighter/Rogue/Wizard/Cleric but I can't justify Fighter over Paladin.
>>
>>82313169
>>82313192
Goliath is a sorely underappreciated PC race
>>
Want to be an artillerist.
Should I take magic initiate for 2 cantrips and a level 1 spell, or take a level of Arcana Cleric for 5 extra cantrips and 2 1st level cleric slots?
>>
how effective would a Phantom Rogue/Undead Warlock multiclass be, for maximum edgelordery
>>
>>82310435

Battlemaster with unarmed fighting style and fighter initiate: superior technique for another super die

>tactical assessment
>ambush
>trip
>push
>menace

there, you get to be good at being a monk and being knowledgable
>>
>>82313390
sounds like shit
>>
>>82313002

bards are the new wizards

wizards are removed and their features distributed across surviving classes

>sorcerers get arcane recovery
>warlocks get ritual casting
>bards are granted the ability to copy down and learn new spells they find on scrolls and can use an arcane focus as well as instruments
artificers get cantrip formulas
>>
>>82313364
How about just being an artillerist? What the fuck are you even gonna do with all of those cantrips?
>>
What language should I learn on my arcane trickster?
>>
>>82313464
You don't get 3 cantrips as an arty until 10, I think. I'd use the cleric and wizard cantrips for utility. Prestidigitation, Guidance, Mage hand, Mending, to let my Arty cantrips be damage dealers that work with Arcane Firearm. And I might take Mind Sliver, too.
>>
>>82313002
You can't opportunity attack with ranged weapons, so in a world where you are getting lots of oas, a strength based character with gwm will do nominally more damage than a dex sharpshooter

And then there is the existence of "belt of X strength" which is not paralleled with a dexterity equivalent, and it is still one of the best attunement items for martials

I would posit that dex is not NECESSARILY better, but I do think dex is usually better
>>
>>82313499
I am a wizard with 5 cantrips and I don't remember the last time I used three of the five
>>
>>82313527
>You can't opportunity attack with ranged weapons
No, but you can opportunity attack with ranged spells with PAM and Warcaster
>>
>>82313527
better =/= strictly better
dexterity is generally better than strength
>>
>>82313540
Wizards get a lot more spell slots to burn. I think even at 20 artis get 4 1st level spells. If you have, but never use mage hand and prestidigitation, that's on you and your DM. If you art giving guidance where possible, that just makes you a shitty mate. Mending is a heal for several of my class features. I'm still on the fence about utility cantrip #5, but having these spells without having to give a shit about the casting stat for them, and still having 2 damage dealing fallbacks isn't something to snub at.
>>
>>82313364

if its purely utility, i'd say initiate so you don't slow down your artificer stuff

your arcane firearm doesn't add anything to your non-artificer spells and cantrips
>>
>>82311882
That's a fucking lie. 1/5th of the monster manual is resistant or immune to non-magical attacks. The idea that you don't need magical weapons applies to bounded accuracy and nothing else. It's a half-truth they use as a selling point and every experienced DM knows better than to fall for it.
>>
File: Haita.png (574 KB, 629x629)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
>>82310372
Dark Sun Halflings are little carnivorous motherfuckers.
>>
>>82313002
What even is there to argue about dual wielding? It's what you do on rogues if you're too cool to take XBE and too poor to buy Tasha's for the aim action, or if you're doing a little trolling with Barbarogue. That's it, that's all it's good at.
>>
>>82313872
One of the more specific arguments was whether the Dual Wielder feat is a trap option, because taking the feat is mathematically worse than just taking a Dex ASI and increasing your modifier.
>>
>>82311307
>Are you that fag that has been whining about almost every thread image? Because you sound just as annoying.

"wow stop complaining about degeneracy... like wow omg omg wow like stop... i have no argument"
>>
>>82313926
dual wielder and defensive duelist really should be wrapped together

>You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
>When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you can make a second attack with a different melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.
>When you are wielding a light weapon with which you are proficient in each hand and another creature hits you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for that attack, potentially causing the attack to miss you. If that attack misses, you can use that same reaction and to make a melee weapon attack against the creature.

>You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

this should just be wrapped into two-weapon fighting style.
ALTERNATIVELY

>>Increase your Strength or Dexterity by 1, to a maximum of 20.
>>You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
>>When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you can make a second attack with a different melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand.
>>
File: 1572790681986.jpg (30 KB, 564x530)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>82313390
Phantom really leans into monoclass, given how good it's later features are and how its primary level 3 ability scales. You really want to aim for 13, which is longer than most campaigns run. The same is true of Undead warlock. Warlock as a class is best either as a 1-2 level dip for eldritch blast/invocations/refreshing spell slot fodder, or as an all in fullcaster with martial tier single target damage. (Aiming to get three spell slots at level 11, and possibly your level 14 final feature (the undead warlock's being really good, and thematic....but again, its level 14, you may never reach it. On a dip the multiclass could work, but nothing you get especially synergizes with rogue more than any other warlock multiclass. You could aim mostly for warlock and dip rogue (2 levels, or 3 if you want a subclass), but imo phantom is best if you level deep into it. As a 3 level dip, you don't get most of the cool, thematic abilities. Both subclasses fit thematically, even to the point of overlap. (their 13 and 14 features being very similar). Right now I'm playing a swashbuckler 3/archfey 8 warlock melee build, and I can attest that the delayed warlock progression really hurts. Do what you want though.
>>
>>82310667
This doesn't really explain why he's an adventurer and giant magic doesn't have much at all to do with still born children

however, Fomorians are giants who were cursed by the fey, and a fey type creature that loves to curse people, and has much to do with children, is a hag

perhaps you can make some kind of connection that way
>>
>>82310565
Wizards and sorcerers can wear plate armor now, why can't monks?
>>
>>82310565
Why? a monk wearing armor is better
>>
>>82314282
No, they shouldn't. Monk's UA should be either include their CON mod or make the base 13 at least.
>>
>>82314468
that's irrelevant, a fighter is a better monk. and that's what the anon asked

there were no stipulations about what the classes had to do.
>>
>>82314056
Yeah I forgot to mention, he still has loyalty to the local lord and thus when he is called on to serve him in a task he does so. But for the most part he would be happy to sit in his cabin and be left alone, occasionally helping protect the nearby villages. But if he catches wind of a way to learn more giant runes he will certainly pursue that. But otherwise it's mostly in service to the realm, even though he is a hermit for the most part. Not sure if that makes it any better.
>>
>>82314468
>Be Barbarian
>Get Unarmored Defense
>It's a fun option but you can wear armor if you want to, no big deal
>Be Wizard
>Don't get any armor proficiencies
>But if you can get them somewhere else you can use the armor just fine without any arcane spell failure
>Be Druid
>Won't wear metal armor
>But non-metal armor replacements such as dragon scale or symbiotic armors keeps your options open to more than just leather once your group starts getting the wealth for expensive magic items
>Be Monk
>Get Unarmored Defense
>Lose every single fucking one of class features if you put on a padded gambeson
Nah fuck off, monk not getting to use armor is completely discordant with the rest of the game's design philosophy on soft vs hard limitations.
>>
>>82314493

well, a favor could have been called out from a noble from a higher standing to your local lord, asking specifically for adventurers who had experience with giants due to a number of giant happenings across several other territories

Your dead twin storyline sounds dead in the water tho, it has nothing to do with anything about you and your relations to giants.
>>
My players have been in a large siege for the past 5-6 sessions.
How could I calculate the detriment a PC should have taken if their character has "been in the fight" this whole time but wasn't actually getting played by anyone?
>>
>>82314518
Barbarians and bladesingers have class features that limit what armors they can wear, but they can at least still wear something. The fluff justification for monks not wearing armor is flimsy, it's basically "muh japanese animes" and if it were up to me I'd let them all wear whatever they want assuming they get the proficiency somewhere because mechanically it isn't that big of a deal
>>
>>82314518
It's true. It wouldn't even break anything. Fuck it, give them shields too. Go another step further and let them benefit from holding two shields. Give me a monk subclass that beats people to death with shields.
>>
>>82310435
Roll a barbarian. Rename the Rage ability to Zen.
>>
>>82310435
BM Fighter 11, Bear Barb 3, Rogue 2
15 str 14 dex 13 con 8 int 12 wis 10 cha. Vhuman raise str/con to 16/14. Take tavern brawler at 1, crusher at 4 then either raise asis or do something dumb but entertaining and take the two feats that give you more BM dice and maneuvers.
Maneuvers are disarm, trip, push, and whatever else you want
You punch at level 1 as hard as monks do at 11.
You have advantage and expertise on grappling
And you have BM dice to do flashy "monk" stuff
Bonus action dash/disengage
You still need armor and can still use any weapon so if you find a magic sword stick it in your pocket for ghosts and shit
>>
>>82310931
There's also Vilkas and Farkas, but those might be too obvious given Skyrim's popularity.
>>
File: 1637590536958.jpg (54 KB, 420x315)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Does a duel-wielding beastwarden STRanger needs to spend every bonus action commanding the drake to attack an enemy? Or do I need to just command it once, like "Kill the ogre" and it'll keep attacking until it is dead?
I thought it would work like the latter, same with animate object and summon beast, but my DM keeps saying no.
>>
>>82314760
You have to command it every turn. You fucked up.
>>
>>82314760
It's every turn, it says it right in the text dude.
>>
>>82314760
How does it feel to learn that your class feature that gives you a bonus action attack can die and will never be magical?
>>
>>82314809
>>82314819
Ah, good to know.

>>82314833
It's not for me. It's for my friend. He went hunter instead.
>>
>>82314833
He messed up the name but he is talking about drakewarden not beastmaster. Its attacks get some magical damage and it is practically immortal since it can just keep being resummoned.
>>
>>82314560
How has everyone else suffered? Damage, inability to complete a long rest and exhaustion? Expended spell slots?

Have a look, average it out, get the person to roll dice which should result in an average of what everyone else has suffered.

e.g.
Everyone else has lost approx 30 hit points, get them to roll 8d6 for damage suffered.
>>
>>82314898
I knew he was talking about drakewarden. Doesn't change anything, it is massively inconvenient to have your class features turned off because it died, spell slots are valuable resources for a class that doesn't get many of them and the drake is super flimsy. Some of the damage is energy, but much of it isn't, it frankly isn't an upgrade over PAM
>>
>>82310435
>vhuman with unarmed fighting style
>go bladesinger
>pick mage armor, shield, absorb elements, and all the elemental spells you can grab
>pretend you are a four elements monk
>>
>>82313932
Thanks for confirming you are.
>>
So what's everyone's attempt at "Biggest single turn nuke, with no outside help"?
>>
>>82311250
Yeah except there's no reason why you wouldn't stab a party member instead if you're just swinging at footsteps
>>
>>82313774
As a DM you can choose to not use those types of monsters and you don't need magic gear to work around bounded accuracy as most creatures ACs don't go above 18.
>>
File: Wu_Jen_2.png (302 KB, 346x460)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>82310435
Wizard with monk flavor, like a Wu Jen?
>>
Reminder that only nogames complain about monk being bad because anyone with a real group already made their own fixes years ago
>>
desu I think monks are an easy fix

>Can take multiple ki options per turn(Flurry/patient defense/step of the wind/stunning strike
>Double total ki points
>give them a monk version of hunter's mark as a 5th level feature
>>
File: 1637626832369.jpg (629 KB, 2500x1870)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>>82310372
I'm going to be running a one-shot for 3 brand new players and one of my veterans in a week or so. I couldn't meet with the players to make characters today because of Thanksgiving-eve obligations, but my veteran did. I asked her to help them figure out some characters, and see what they'd want to do. I told her not to worry too much about races, and just let them pick what they thought was interesting and fun. We have:
>Chaotic Good Dwarf Cleric (veteran)
>Chaotic Good Tiefling Bard
>Chaotic Neutral Drow Druid
>Chaotic Neutral Fallen Aasimar Sorcerer
How loose should I be planning for this game? I can't imagine much will get done, but I've been surprised by less.
>>
>>82315181
Why is your "veteran" allowing a group of noobies to make a team of full casters?

Sounds like one retarded veteran
>>
>>82315181
>Everyone chaotic
Refuse to run it.
>Tiefling, Drow, fallen aasimar
Refuse to run it.
>>
>Metamagic adept only gives you 2 sorcery points
>Heightened spell (forces disadvantage on saving throw) requres 3 sorcery points

Fuck this
Imagine dumping an entire feat into this and you cant even force one single disadvantage saving throw
>>
>>82315181
I see a good redemption or at least bastards with hearts of gold story with that mob. Drow druids are one of my rarely seen but favourite combos for story beats. The fallen aasimar has redemption and self acceptance baked in. You veteran being a dwarf cleric is a fantastic anchor. I'd say run them something clean and simple to do with protecting nature from a corrupting force or poorly planned development, OR run them Sunless Citadel if you want a premade one.

I could see something such as the dwarf cleric trying to get an dwarven mining expansion to realise they're about to fuck up majorly, perhaps getting too close to the Underdark and setting off dueger/mindflyers/local crazy Lolthite drow? Make it near a city so your bard may be being a slut nearby and get wrapped up. IDK what bloodline your sorc is or their reason for falling but honestly it'd be piss easy to tie them into being there. The drow druid crawls out from under a rock.
>>
>Hexblade Warlock-(3)/War Wizard-(X)
>Half-Elf
>STR:10 DEX:14 CON:13 INT:16 WIS:10 CHA:14
>War Caster feat asap.
Which would be better for my second feat? Resilient so I get 14 CON and proficiency with constitution saving throws? Or Alert for the +5 to initiative and inability to be surprised.
>>
Would you guys be ok with someone trying to corrode iron bars using acid splash?
>>
>>82315298
The inability to not be surprised is only useful if you have a reaction that makes it useful
>>
>>82315306
Obligatory talk to your DM. Personally I'd expect my players to do that. It's one of the examples I give my players who are deciding cantrips, because I like to encourage noncombat use of spells. The last PC who took Acid Splash used it to etch metal to create magic items as an Artificer.
>>
>>82315306
if your DM lacks the ability to process creative problem solving he might have a problem with it, but magical acid is a traditional method of dealing with iron bars and other imprisonments in D&D
>>
whats the better paladin multi class between sorcerer and warlock?
>>
>>82315298
resilient
>>
>>82315319
>>82315322
I see, another question. Do I have to pick mind silver as an aberrant mind sorcerer or do I just get it automatically?
>>
>>82315306
>Would you guys be ok with someone trying to corrode iron bars using acid splash?

Yes, but it's not something that could be done with just an action. That sounds like a 10 minutes kind of thing, that would also make a plenty of noise because of the verbal component.
>>
>>82315313
>The inability to not be surprised is only useful if you have a reaction that makes it useful
I think you typed that wrong.
>>
>>82315193
Because they thought those classes were the most interesting to play as. I'm not going to stunt a new player's creativity by asking them to build an optimal party, especially not for a oneshot.
>>82315204
I was definitely worried about the chaotic aspect, and the races definitely aren't my favorite. But like I mentioned above, they're fresh players in a single session game. I'd rather they pick something zany and fun now and enjoy themselves. If I ever run something longer for them, I would be limiting race options.
>>82315273
>bastards with hearts of gold
Seems like this is the most likely outcome. My first idea was for the session to take place near a city, where the party catches wind in a tavern that the city wizard is looking for some tough hires to lure out and wrangle an owlbear which escaped from his studies. The Dwarf Nature Cleric and the Drow Druid would want to see that it is properly contained and not potentially ruining an ecosystem, the Tiefling, as a minor celebrity, would be looking to further pad her list of public deeds, and the aasimar I have no clue. I'll have to talk to her more about it.
>>
>>82315340
Yeah I included an extra negative. It's 2am.

The inability to be surprised is only useful if you can do something useful with your reaction. e.g. shield, counterspell, cutting words, whatever.
>>
>>82315336
Go read back over your subclass information. Use 5etools to have it all in one easy to use spot. From first level feature:
"You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Psionic Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know."

>>82315347
>owlbear hunt
Nice, you can't go wrong with that. Good to see you letting them go wild too, I've had my share of newer players who walked on eggshells around me because they thought I'd tell them they were stupid for wanting to do something a bit weird or edgy, it's sad to see them beaten down so early in their exploration of the hobby
>>
>>82315336
the wording implies that you get all spells on the table at that level so you don't have to pick and choose
like a cleric's domain spells
>>
>>82315170
>Can take multiple ki options per turn
They can't do this? Shit.
>>
What's the best way to charm NPCs and get away with it?
>>
What are some good short campaigns? Thinking like 3-4 sessions.

DM'd a one shot and before I do a bigger thing want to do more short stuff
>>
>>82315104

2pal/2fighter/6 sword bard while using a 1d8 weapon with meta magic initiate feat
>Hold person bonus action > attack/action surge for a total of 44d8.
>slightly more damage if you played a half orc or used a stronger weapon, or had 18 charisma instead of 16
>>
>>82315448
you can pick any of the level 2 ki features + stunning strike, but all the level 2 features require bonus action

>>82315472
20 charisma+persuasion expertise?
>>
>>82310372
Elves, everyone knows they're cannibals who'd sooner eat a baby than harm a precious plant.
>>
>>82315478
Check out some of the adventures in Tales from the Yawning Portal, Ghosts of Saltmarsh, or Candlekeep Mysteries.
>>
>>82315529
Okay I got really worried I was doing something extremely wrong with stunning strike
>>
Can you reflavour races? what if I wanted to play with dwarf stone cunning but be a human?
>>
>>82315333
Warlock / Paladin has been a classic powerful build for a long time, but the correct answer is whatever fits your character or setting better
>>
>>82315563
lots of races can be fluffed to be humans

>stone cunning
Stone cunning would be stone cunning, nothing changes.
>>
>>82315563
use the custom lineage options in tasha's as a starting point, and then decide which other racial options are worth approximately the same as a feat.
>>
>>82315529
>20 charisma+persuasion expertise?
i have that now what
>>
>>82315597
Roll a persuasion check?
>>
>>82315630
Why are you saying obvious things and adding an interrogation point to the end of your sentences? You're a woman, aren't you.
>>
>>82315646
Why ask a question you knew the answer to? You're a woman, aren't you.
>>
Playing an Arcane Trickster who will only get 13 INT for Ritual Caster Feat. What are good Spells I can get
>>
>>82315656
I asked for strategies on how to charm NPCs and you told me how to persuade NPCs. And you didn't even mention Enhance Ability which would give advantage to persuasion checks.

I thought the usage of charm was pretty unambiguous, as it is a literal condition in the game. I want to charm an NPC. But friends, charm person, have their effects made known to the charmed person. So how does one charm an NPC without revealing the charm effect? Suggestion? Dominate Person? How could one make this save more difficult for an NPC?
>>
File: geas.png (311 KB, 703x419)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>82315673
From my understanding, those abilities are there for people who aren't charismatic enough to persuade NPCs
The spell Geas charms though, but also doesn't explicitly mention the creature you're charming knows about it once it's completed
>>
>>82315472
9th level Swashbuckler is fun. Whisper bard can be funny with a little creativity.
>>
>>82315699
>>82315720
What if I want to force an NPC to tag along with us and make it think it's our best friend? In a fun, roleplay kind of way. As opposed to nightmarish memory manipulation/guantanamo torture/gaslighting kind of way.
>>
>>82315778
>force an NPC to tag along with us and make it think it's our best friend?
>in a fun, roleplay kind of way
That's just gaslighting.
>>
>>82315672
Find Familiar is objectively the reason to get Ritual caster
Identify, Detect Magic and Alarm will be good as well
>>
>>82315513
Could you write this out in a bit more detail? for some reason my brain isn't working tonight.
>>
>>82315882
Artificer artillerist, but reflavored to be plant based: y/n?
>>
>>82316026
hard n
>>
>>82316026
Whoops; didn't mean to reply to >>82315882
>>
File: handbookerhelper.png (506 KB, 998x639)
506 KB
506 KB PNG
Guys help I have autism and my brain does not work because of sinus infection.

What would be the actual cost of casting 50 bullets from silver in DnD? I mean the cost of the material silver.
>>
>>82316034
>PHB pg 148
>Some monsters that have immunity or resistance to nonmagical weapons are susceptible to silver ammunition, so cautious adventurers invest extra coin to plate their ammunition in silver. You can silver ten pieces of ammunition for 100 gp. This cost represents not only the price of the silver, but the time and expertise needed to add silver to the ammunition without making it less effective.
So assuming you have the bullets already, you just need to fork over the coin to get them silvered. Otherwise, it's 100gp + bullet price.
>>
>>82316034
And how much do different coins in DnD even weight?
>>
>>82316052
Alright, thank you.
>>
>>82316066
Each coin weights 0.02 lbs regardless of material.
>>
>>82316034
this math is going to be a bit rough, so bear with me.

a common ball size for a musket is 54 caliber, which is close to the same size as 28 gauge.

28 gauge means you get 28 balls of that diameter from a pound of lead.

A cubic foot of lead weighs roughly 700 pounds. A cubic foot of silver weighs roughly 650 pounds. A bit of math yields a rough answer that you would get 30 54 caliber silver balls from an avoirdupois pound of silver.

Coincidentally, since we are using rounding errors you could drive a freightliner through, the difference between an avoirdupois pound and a troy pound is similar to the difference between an avoirdupois pound of lead and an avoirdupois pound of silver, so you would get roughly 28 54 caliber silver balls from a troy pound of silver. Considering a silver dollar coin is generally thought of as one troy ounce of silver, we can apply classic d&d currency conversion rates to come to the conclusion that in terms of just material costs, 50 silver bullets would take approximately 3 GP worth of materials, very roughly.

Of course, all of my math could be way off. I'm sure it will get meticulously and rudely corrected in subsequent comments.
>>
>>82316133

Your math doesn't need correcting, Anon. There is already a guide in the handbook that makes calculation unnecessary to begin with>>82316052
>>
>>82316133
rather than 'similar to the difference between an avoirdupois pound of lead and an avoirdupois pound of silver,' what i meant to say was similar to the difference between the weight difference between a cubic foot of lead and a cubic foot of silver in avoirdupois units.
>>
>>82316151
that price is for silver plating crossbow bolts and arrowheads, though, which in an era before electricity was a much trickier process than casting round balls for use in a firearm.
>>
>>82316151
>>82316197
The process used that costs 100gp per ten pieces of ammunition is essentially damascening: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/special-presentation-what-is-gold-damascene/
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (370 KB, 808x825)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>82316026
Speaking of Artillerist Artificer, rate my character idea
>Human Male born into being an orphan, has been under the wing of a rebel guerilla fighter group for as long as he can remember
>Turned out to be a crude prodigy of making magical and clockwork technology out of junk, through a combination of natural talent and what the group's demolitionists taught him growing up
>Was especially good at making explosives as a result (this fits into the flavor of Artillerist's spells being mostly explosive fire stuff)
>During one operation, he was left on the brink of death and rushed to some kind of lab he'd never seen before
>Everything went dark as he felt his life fading away
>Wakes up some time later in that same lab, but everyone is gone
>Now a Reborn, he finds much of his body has been replaced with clockwork and magical substitutes
>Not completely amnesiac, he remembers who he was and the life he had for most of his youth, but the circumstances that led him to his current state are fuzzy at best
>Can't find anyone at his group's usual hideouts either
>Goes out into the world, hiding his face and looking for anything that might give him a clue as to what happened
>>
>>82316052
>10 gold per bullet
>1 pound of silver is enough for roughly 50 bullets
>a pound of silver is worth about 5 gold (50 silver)
>one silver coin for one bullet
>the labor for producing single silver bullet is worth 4 gold and 9 silver
Allowing bullet manufacturers to unionize was a mistake.
>>
>>82316133
Based math anon.
>>
>>82316218
>9 gold 9 silver*
Goddamn it...
>>
>>82316218
the labor for carefully inlaying a broadhead arrow with silver in such a way that it can maintain it's sharpness, durability, and cutting power while still providing the monster slaying effect of the silver may very well cost nearly 5 gold per piece, it is very much masterwork level stuff. Simply casting a silver bullet wouldn't cost anywhere near that much money.
>>
>>82316213
He sounds like a jinx
>>
File: 1502222313636.jpg (25 KB, 250x201)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>82316274
How so?
>>
>>82316284
Never mind, I don't think you're actually trying to blatantly reference something with your character, it's just coincidence.
It's a cool idea that leaves room for the DM to mold into their campaign, really all a character idea needs to be.
>>
>>82316241
I understand the cost for "non-consumable" projectiles, but for bullets it makes no sense.
>>
>>82316213
Being a prodigy Artificer as a child is just a little snowflake-y but otherwise it's fine.
>>
>>82316315
I agree, unless the character is in Eberron and has the Mark of Making. That one doesn't.
>>
>>82316315
I think it's fine for characters to have some amount of special bullshit about them if the character is young but in a campaign starting at level 3.
>>
>>82316213
I like playing my wizards as either small girls or shotas because having someone that can barely climb a tree just rewrite reality at will is funny to me
it pisses the autist of the group off but thats just a bonus
>>82316315
dont think I dont see you
>>
>>82316310
they weren't thinking about bullets when they wrote it, or if they were, they didnt like the mental image of slings replacing bows and crossbows in undead/lycanthrope heavy campaigns, which is a shame, because slings get almost as little love in 5e as whips and nets.
>>
>>82316274
>Can't even escape the LoLfags here
>>
>>82312174
I don't know about encounters, but if you google "dnd battlemaps", you should be able to find something you can use. There's also this subreddit:
https://old.reddit.com/r/battlemaps/
>>
>>82316370
League didn't invent the word jinx.

idiot.
>>
>>82316455
You're honestly telling me that's not what the post I was replying to was alluding to, especially considering >>82316295 this post afterwards?
>>
>>82316455
It didn't, but that doesn't change how blatantly the other poster was interpreting it that way.
>>
>>82316478

maybe if he said
>He sounds like Jinx
instead of what he said
>He sounds like a jinx

which makes it sound like less of a name and more of the noun, "a jinx"
>>
>>82316501
Are you literally incapable of reading his follow up post
Here, I'll even link it again for you since you're obviously blind
>>82316295
>>82316295
>>82316295
>>
>>82316501
nta, but in this instance, 'a' clearly meant 'a version of.'
>>
>>82316501
You can not be this bad at reading context and subtext.
>>
>>82316501
I diagnose you with autism
>>
>>82314568
No. Thats gay.
You're gay.

If you want to play Captain America, go play Superheros and Skyscrapers.
>>
>>82316508
>>82316520
>>82316539
>>82316603

maybe I do have autism, when he said "a jinx" I assumed it was some kind of clockwork automaton from some other media, because as far as I know, jinx from lol has a Gatling gun and tattoos
>>
>>82316620
Captain America only has one shield
>>
>>82316623
Hey at least you're seeing it and not doubling down like a cunt
>>
>be conquest sorcadin
>approach tarrasque
>cast armor of agathys as a 9th lvl spell
>quickcast blade ward
>get hit 5 times
>return 225 damage

>
>>
>>82316677

>bites and swallows you on the first attack
>>
Is it possible to build a character around defeating enemies with luck/environmental damage? I was thinking about the hobbit recently and how Bilbo goes around mostly being lucky and good at talking, with only a few direct fights.
I've only played one campaign which died after a dozen sessions so not very experienced. We didn't have much environmental damage in the campaign so I'm not sure how feasible it is in 5E.
>>
>>82316778
no, it's not actually feasible.
>>
>>82316791
Fuck. Alright thanks. Maybe I'll go for a support role + rustic ranged like a sling or bow.
>>
>>82316778
yes, in practice this means abilities that let you manipulate dice rolls. halflings get a lucky ability, there is a lucky feat, divination and chronurgist wizards also get die roll manipulation abilities. I'm sure there are others but those are the ones that immediately spring to mind. As far as environmental damage, that kind of thing depends on your DM. If they tend to be the types that are very by the book, it doesnt work if it isnt on your sheet, never heard of rule of cool, etc, then you may have trouble manipulating the environment to the detriment of your enemies. On the other hand, if your DM realizes the answers aren't always on your sheet, they are willing to reward creative gameplay and clever problem solving, and they are willing to take a few liberties with strict RAW, then sure, there are plenty of things you can do, from dropping things on enemies, to throwing them off of things, to causing changes to terrain, and causing all sorts of different conditions/status effects.
>>
>>82316778
Bilbo Baggins of Bag End is a rogue through and through. If you want to be a support rogue, your consistent damage and healer feat heal do a fantastic job. Don't underestimate caltrops, ball bearing and alchemist fire either.
>>
>>82316778
You essentially want to play a halfling divination wizard with the lucky feat and then lean into the RP when you reroll something to enhance the clueless idiot aspect of your victories
>>
>>82316828
and engage in lots of mundane item abuse.
>>
>>82316812
>>82316828
Yeah in my brief initial search I came across the halfing + divination wizard meme but got the impression that's something done intentionally to cheese the game.
Would it not just annoy everyone else?

>>82316822
Will check rogue stats, I've only played with one rogue and I hated him. He tried to PK the party but especially my character.
>>
>>82316832
It has a lot of potential to be cheesy Anon but how far you take it is entirely up to you. It can be your hardcore unkillable reroll snowflake or your hilarious "I bend over to pick up a copper piece and the disintegrate flies over my head" amusement machine
>>
>>82316832
the munchkining isn't in the strength of the character, the munchkining is in the willingness of the player to be a system abusing assnugget. with great power comes great responsibility.
>>
>>82316832
That's entirely a player thing, that's not what the rogue does.

A thief rogue with the healer feat has one of the best heals in the game. It is MEATY and SEVERLY underestimated by people who have never seen it in practice.

>that's something done intentionally to cheese the game.

It is but it's not super exceptional at it. it's more or less just funny. There are far worse ways to cheese the game.
>>
>>82316853
>>82316855
I'd go more for the lucky-goof aspect of it. My previous character was a relative chad and ended up being the "face" of the party because the rest went from mentally-ill to murder-hobo to silent unless you want to talk about taxes in personality.
>>
>>82316862
I haven't witnessed the thief with healer feat combo. What's it's shtick?
>>
>>82316862
>A thief rogue with the healer feat has one of the best heals in the game.
Don't fall for this meme. Medic thief rogue is fun but is overshadowed by literally any class with actual heals. Yes, that includes fucking alchemist and mercy monk.
>>
>>82316862
Elaborate please on your healer rogue bullshittery.
>>
File: 1633036480026.png (10 KB, 822x63)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
>>82316876
>>82316912
>use an object
Normally on a turn, using an object takes your whole action, so you don't get to cast an action spell or make attacks, the healer feat lets you use a healing kit to restore a good hunk of hitpoints

>1d6+4+(max hit die total)
even in the later levels this thing is restoring a 25-35% of a creature's hitpoints per short rest per creature.

>>82316888
I've played a thief up to level 12 and I've played an alchemist up to 10. The healer feat is quality vs quantity You're not replacing a cleric but you are capable of keeping a team healthy through an adventuring day.

The alchemist is pretty pathetic until 9th level.
>>
>>82316876
Using fast hands (or just be a hadozee with any class) and the healer feat to use the healer's kit, spending a charge and healing a player as a bonus action. Allows a rogue to heal and attack for sneak attack on the same turn, however,
>>82316862
>>82316888
I feel one of the greatest downsides to it is the fact a creature can only receive the healing once per short rest. This doesn't work too well with how you often have a front line fighter who needs to be healed up from 0 multiple times a combat. It's a neat combo but can't really replicate a full caster with healing word. As that anon said, even alchemist and mercy monk is better in that regard.
>>
>>82316925
nice, I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate the knowledge.
>>
I’m relatively new to D&D and I can’t believe how many third party supplements/modules there seem to be.

Which ones are actually good/worth money?
>>
Do fey age?
>>
>>82316927
>As that anon said, even alchemist and mercy monk is better in that regard.
An alchemist does not have the spell slots to be efficient. I've played one. The healer feat is definitely not a meme, it's solid.
I actually want to play a hadozee alchemist and take the healer feat, it'd be exceptional

I can't speak to the mercy monk since I've never played one but the cost of the healer feat + healer's kits is well worth it for what you get out.
>>
>>82316957
yes, sometimes one way and some times another
>>
>>82316956
None.
Maybe grim hallow.
>>
>>82316963
Harengon and fairies don't seem to have an age classification
>>
>>82316978

That's because of blue hair
>>
>>82316982
In fact they don't even have a creature type descriptor lol
>>
>>82316956
To be honest, since you are new to the game, if you are looking for a "generic" fantasy setting, just use Forgotten Realms. It's the default setting for the system, the lore is very easily accessible, and it is easy for all of the players and the DM to get on the same page about what the world is like. It also happens to be a well thought out and designed world (although it isn't without it's critics). If you want something a little less generic, everything I said about Forgotten Realms also applies to Eberron (more urban fantasy/magic as technology/intrigue) and Ravenloft (gothic horror/mystery).
>>
>>82311754
>>82311696
step 1
>pick like sorcerer, bard, warlock or some shit
step 2
>pretend that your powers come from some dumb ghost origin
wow!
>>
>>82317003
Not that Anon but is there a decent middle-earth setting guide?
>>
>>82317018
there are 5e compatible middle earth books, but i can't personally speak to whether or not they are any good.
>>
>>82316956
if your new avoid third party stuff for the time being.
Keep it simple, learn the system and when you feel its lacking then go and look for third party stuff.
>>
>>82316677
did something like this to a Balhannoth.
Lures me away from the party, AoA at 5th level, was playing the seeker warlock that has the resistance to all damage feature, hits me 3 times, fails to break the temp hp, takes 75 cold, runs away.

never melee the dude with the spectral frost
>>
>>82316959
I can't help but feel like medic thief rogue will be fun to play for a few sessions and then you get bored of your gimmick because you don't really have anything else worthwhile to do besides that and rolling fat sneak attacks.
>>
File: MerpCover.jpg (690 KB, 1254x1631)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
>>82317018
>is there a decent middle-earth setting guide?
Yes.
>>
File: 1626649617329.png (1.12 MB, 1280x1700)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>I'm playing D&D with friends, having a good time.
>After the game one of the players point out to me in private that my character is pretty bad acting wise. I act him with inconsistent personality and with traits that wouldn't fit character.
>Oh okay.
>Talk to them more and get actual advice for roleplaying and building characters. Nice.
>I'm playing D&D with friends, having a good time. Few sessions later.
>During the game same player and DM point out to me weird thing my character did that was really unfitting for them. Group, and me, laugh it off like "Haha wtf you/I just did" moment.
>Completely different game, different characters, same group. Playing D&D. Having a good time.
>Same guy points out to me I play my character wrong again.
>Gives me legitimate good advice again. Things my PC did he pointed out were "wrong" i kinda agree weren't fitting.

>I'm now anxious when making new characters.
>I'm worried during entire session if i'm playing my character right instead of having fun.

>I'm playing D&D with friends, having a bad time. Overthinking things i should say or do as PC.
>After the game group points out to me i was very quiet.

Who's wrong? Any advice?
>>
Why do people say Watcher paladin is really good

It seems kinda mediocre to me.
Two good oath spells and the rest being ones a ritual caster will do instead or ones you won't use
Initiative bonus is ok but that's an enhanced aura that doesn't have a bonus effect turn 2
Channel Divinity is an action and a minute long so it can't really be used ahead of time nor can it be used reactively well
The level 15 feature doesn't do a lot of damage and you'll more than likely just save your reaction for counterspell
Capstone is nice but that's a capstone
>>
>>82317269
Tell your friend that while you appreciate the feedback, you would appreciate it even more if he kept his opinions to himself so you can enjoy the game instead of worrying about what his assessment of your character might be. He sounds like a well-meaning ass but he's still being an ass
>>
>>82317290
>Why do people say Watcher paladin is really good
Because first of all, it's a paladin.

Second of all, it's a paladin.

Thirdly, when you add everything up it's actually ahead on powerlevel compared to most other paladin subclasses. Off the top of my head only conquest is really better if you know how to build for it. Ancients mayhaps if you face a lot of casters for some reason. And maybe redemption if you're trying a tank approach. But that's about it.

Also don't underestimate giving, on average, about +3 initiative to 2 to 3 players. The first few turns are almost always the most important ones due to the snowbally nature of 5e combat, so the more often you go first the less resources you have to waste.
>>
>>82317333
>Because first of all, it's a paladin.
>Second of all, it's a paladin.
That's fair
Mediocre on Paladin is still really good I suppose
I think I'd still play a conquest or ancients over it, but maybe I'm just overvaluing other level 7 subclass features
>>
Somebody explain to me how important is a water mill to a community.
>>
>>82317360
It is relatively important depending on what alternatives are available to them
>>
>>82317269
context seems important here.
like are you playing a nice guy who suddenly becomes a murderhobo or what.
>>
>>82317360
>Water mill
Water mill enables Water powered machinery, this can be and was used for a few things historically
>Grinding wheat into flour
>Water powered hammers
>Processing lumber
Basically any sort of simple machinery that can be operated by a crank and rod can be automated through a watermill
In a world with magic, the effectiveness of this depends on how widespread magic is and how willing people who can perform it are to do basic labor
>>
>>82317373
Excitable streetrat prankster. Friend told me i was playing him too posh. Weird thing i did was when i caught dozen rodents and sneakly released them into a house of our rival.
>>
>>82317435
sounds like he's worried about chaotic neutral types, which is a natural reaction for a lot of people.
>>
Is a SAD 2 Pal/Tomelock shillelagh user as bad as it sounds? I don't want to be a h*xblade
>>
Tips on synergy combos
that two players as Cleric and Paladin can do?

i will join a table with a friend i will be playing a Cleric and my friend is doing a paladin,our characters are from the same deity background wise
>>
>>82317505
Grapple people in spirit guardians
>>
>>82310435
Variant human barbarian
Fighting Initiate: Unarmed Fighting
>>
>>82317505
Subclasses?
>>
>>82317720
Order and Watchers
>>
Favorite Level range for campaigns?
>1-4
>5-8
>9-12
>13-16
>17-20

Also, how do you level up?
>Classic experience from enemies
>After set number of sessions
>After story achievements or milestone
>After PC deals with great personal challenge

>PCs gain levels all at once
>PCs have level gaps between them.
>>
Is getting feather fall as a sorcerer worth it?
>>
>>82317741
>milestone progression

>make personal sidequest to my players to explore their backgrounds and reward them with either a sidekick to their character,a magic item or a unique skill/spell when they finish
>>
>>82317764
Feather fall is that one spell that is shitty and you will never use,but when you use it will be to prevent a PC from instadeath

i always pick it up for safety measures with bard and sorcerer
>>
>>82317741
Well I'd say 3-10 is a nice range, don't really like starting at level 1
I'd rather have after a big milestone for the whole group, after events major events/fights.
Set after a number of session is not that good for me because sometimes, nothing will really warrant a level up. Ideally, having some stuff linked to the new features of the PCs themselves are nice to have (such as getting new spells) but it's hard to set up properly for the whole group besides 1 on 1 small session with the gm and player
>>
>>82317778
>>82317764
Feather fall is a hard sell on a spells known caster. Prepared casters generally know when to prepare it based on where they are adventuring, but 90% of the time it's a dead spell. It's probably better at later levels when you're not really using your 1st level spell slots for anything but shield as a clutch ace in the hole.
>>
>>82317741
5-8 is where game balance feels the best
But lately all my campaigns have gotten into the 13-16 range and I'm actually enjoying DMing games where players have a huge amount of influence on the world and interesting options both in and out of combat. That's more because of how developed the characters are at that point rather than mechanical benefits though I think.

I like milestone progression, but I generally count off battle numbers to decide
>>
>>82317724
He buffs you, you reaction attack divine smite something into the pavement. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>82317724
The channel divinities look like they lend themselves to the other character in the duo. I would strongly recommend sentinel on the paladin to help hold key targets inside spirit guardians / spiritual weapon range
>>
New thread
>>82317921
>>82317921
>>82317921
>>
>>82315240
Take the https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Point-based_Pact_Magic_(5e_Class_Feature) path Anon, you know it to be true
Or if you really want Sorcerer double his max Sorcery points and make conversion of sorcery points to first level spell slots cost 1
>>
>>82316639
>>82316620
Fucking got you there, besides you can use a shield and a hand axe and be the Warcraft 3 custom hero you sometimes see in maps. Which may or may not be based on Cap. America
>>
>>82317255
The maps were outstanding.
>>
>>82317307
I concur.
>>
>>82317603
How about Dhampir so you still get walking on walls, less clumsy biological features and added barbarian savagery with a bite attack?
>>
Help me select the "correct" dragon type for what I want

i'm making Merlin's tower & want it to be protected by an ancient Dragon who was once Merlin's pet & guards the place as both their hoard, but also due to an oath.
It should enjoy military & magic, but primarily enjoy the hoard as an immeasurable trove of knowledge like alexandria or wan shi tong's lib.
It acts as a Lord in the local area both out of bordum, enjoyment interacting with mortals & to keep the tower a secret.
What dragon am I looking at? Silver? Saphire? Brass?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.