[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nyarlathotep.jpg (966 KB, 1000x742)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
Nyarlathotep Just Keeps Winning Edition

Tell us about your horror settings, games, etc. Share inspirational art, prompts, etc.

>List of games:
Call of Cthulhu, Chill, Cold and Dark, Degenesis, Delta Green, Don't Rest Your Head, Dread, Esoterrorists/Fear Itself+Book of Unremitting Horror, Fall of Delta Green, GORE, Into The Shadows, KULT, Little Fears, Mothership RPG, Nemesis (free on Arc Dream's website), Nights Black Agents, Silent Legions (Mostly for the tables), Stalker: The SciFi RPG, Symbaroum, Ten Candles, Trail of Cthulhu, Unisystem (All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Witchcraft, Conspiracy X, etc.), Unknown Armies, The Whispering Vault

>Inspirational stuff:
Caitlin R Kiernan, Castlevania, Doom Watch, Fear & Hunger, George Romero, Ghostwatch, House of Leaves, I Am In Eskew, John Carpenter, Kolchak the Nightstalker, Laird Barron, M.R. James, Nick Cutter, Old Gods of Appalachia, Quatermass, Ramsey Campbell, Remedy Series (Alan Wake, Control), SCP Foundation, Scarfolk Council, Shaun Hutson, Silent Hill, Stand Still Stay Silent, The Evil Dead, The Magnus Archives, The Secret World, The Stone Tapes, Thomas Ligotti, Twin Peaks, Vault of Evil forums, toomuchhorrorfiction

Other News:
Degenesis is currently free on the sixmorevodka website V4.
https://degenesis.com/

Current Book Club Topic:
Oh Whistle and I'll Come for you My Lad
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/8486/pg8486-images.html

Questions for the thread:
>How do you prefer to depict the Outer Gods (or any other malign cosmic deity) in your games?
>Have you ever adapted Nyarlathotep into a campaign before?
>Have you ever used the Shining Trapezohedron or a similar artifact as a plot point?

Questions for Horrorverse refugees:
>What are your thoughts on Nyarlathotep and the other Outer Gods?
>Favorite evil pantheons in horror?

Previous Thread: >>82203787

Please try to keep arguing to a minimum. Don't respond to bait/drama posts.
And as usual, try and keep it alive, or at least undead.
>>
Book Club starter questions:
>What works?
>What's cool about it?
>Why is it so effective?
>What is the best MR James story in your opinion?
>If you had to pick a moment that really scared you, which would it be?
>Is there anything you feel could have been expanded upon?
>Would you use it as inspiration for a game?
>>
File: dark man 3.jpg (115 KB, 612x612)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Anyway, Music From a Darkened Room went pretty decently.

We have an agent who was resurrected Herbert West style and has been brought into the fold.
We also have an agent who has become obsessed with the house, and nobody else recognizes this.

Said undead agent they tracked to the house where he waited inside the mirror room until The obsessed agent came in with the other. Undead Agent had figured out obsessed agent was obsessed and planned to trap him in the room, so had an emotional breakdown acted out about his death in the house etc. He confirmed that the Obsessed Agent was obsessed, and when they heard the singing from the bathroom he said "it's for you...."
Obsessed Agent thought Undead was on his side, but Undead was just faking it and locked the door to the other room as the Obsessive walked into the bathroom to find the bath drawn. I had the bath scare and a failed roll which indicated him jumping at a sound.
THEN said agent was pulled into the wall.
>Here's what the obsessive agent DIDN'T get... The House was going to milk him for all he's worth and then use him to kill the other agents as it gains more power and suffering that way. It has never been on his side.
Then as he stumbled back out into the main room soaking wet in slime, THE RAZOR scare happened and he was badly injured by Wheeler, who injured him further and then after the Obsessive kicked the door down, Isabella dropped the razor by his side and whispered "kill them...."

At that point obsessive played the part and they sat down on the couch and started to patch up his wounds. At that point they had a heart to heart talk about what had been happening and what they were going through, including the undead agent and the newbie who was standing there with his shotgun trying to figure out what was going on. After a hug was when obsessive Agent struck.
>>
>>82299661
>undead agent they tracked to the house where he waited inside the mirror room until The obsessed agent came in with the other. Undead Agent had figured out obsessed agent was obsessed and planned to trap him in the room, so had an emotional breakdown acted out about his death in the house etc. He confirmed that the Obsessed Agent was obsessed, and when they heard the singing from the bathroom he said "it's for you...."
Obsessed Agent thought Undead was on his side, but Undead was just faking it and locked the door to the other room as the Obsessive walked into the bathroom to find the bath drawn. I had the bath scare and a failed roll which indicated him jumping at a sound.
Outfucking skilled.

>Here's what the obsessive agent DIDN'T get... The House was going to milk him for all he's worth and then use him to kill the other agents as it gains more power and suffering that way. It has never been on his side.
Shoulda' known what he was signing on with.

>At that point obsessive played the part and they sat down on the couch and started to patch up his wounds. At that point they had a heart to heart talk about what had been happening and what they were going through, including the undead agent and the newbie who was standing there with his shotgun trying to figure out what was going on. After a hug was when obsessive Agent struck.
Oh no.
>>
>>82299588
I prefer to depict my horror with a dash of sexuality. It makes it much more unsettling and uncomfortable, enhancing the horror. Misattributation of arousal helps.
>>
>>82299718
examples?
>>
>>82299727
Don't indulge him.
>>
File: dark man.jpg (393 KB, 894x881)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
>>82299661
P2

Obsessive anon draws his pistol and shoots undead Agent in the ankle, critting the roll with a 1, severing the foot from the body as the Undead goes down screaming.
Obsessive turns the gun on the newbie agent before they can raise their shotgun saying "I don't want to kill you... but I might if I have to, you see this house is a lovely place..."
While Obsessive is talking to Undead Agent who is groaning on the floor over his severed and still moving foot,
Newbie rolled and failed a dodge check to get to cover, but obsessive missed the gunshot on him as he ran for the door. Obsessive is on the sofa. Undead Agent is behind the sofa on the floor groaning, newbie is running for the door. Undead gets over himself and draws his gun, firing several shots through the sofa to try to hit Obsessive, but instead rolls a 100% FUMBLE and for fun's sake I determine his gun blows up and with a failed luck roll, the slide shoots off hitting Obsessive right in the face.
Obsessive gets up and successfully tackles Newbie as they open the door to get out, and they are on the floor. Newbie tries to struggle free but he's a scrawny EPA agent being pounced by a former marine medic. Obsessive then starts wailing into Newbie's face with his fist, dealing 4 damage.
Meanwhile, Undead starts crawling around the sofa trying to get a shot on Obsessive with his sidearm. He finally lines up a shot as Newbie is being pummeled.
Crits the roll and RAW crits let you do one of two things: Either double damage OR you decide how the roll goes down.
Player decides to shoot Obsessive straight in the liver so they definitely die. Also a headshot would splatter all over Newbie.
He does, and the damage roll knocks Obsessive down to 1HP, knocking him unconscious.

They then have to deal with what the hell to do next. Undead is cradling his severed foot. After around 10-15 minutes of arguing they decide to call the ambulance for Obsessive and drive out of there for the cops to figure out.
>>
>>82299787
I kinda feel bad for the undead agent, he doesn't deserve this abuse (even if he's the one most suited to tanking it). Fuck Obsessive for getting hijacked by the evil murder house.

Outside of that, it sounds like a blast anon.
>>
File: max.png (1.62 MB, 899x864)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>82299787
P3/Wrap-up

This was the B-Team made up entirely of replacements for agents who either were in the hospital, were dead or were in another state at that point.
(A team is 1 in the hospital and 2 in another state trying to get elder signs done).

Undead Agent was run by an old player who was only able to make this and the prior session, but couldn't make THIS one last minute so they were taken over by another player.
Undead was only supposed to be around for 2 sessions and the severed foot is a good reason for him to be "recalled" for maintenance and not show up again for a while.
The Long-term effects of this could be worse with a police investigation, but I'm gonna go easy on them and have it be chocked up to just another weird fed death at the Spooner residence since the last one a few days prior.

All the A team agents need to do is when the Sherrif says "do you know who this is/what's going on?" all they have to say is "No." and he's got pretty much no evidence linking them to what happened.

>>82299807
Oh it was a lot of fun. They basically have both potential endings loaded at this point. Hence why I'm not gonna screw them with this in terms of law stuff happening as it wasn't really in their control and it would feel unfair.
The House has up to like 21 POW saved up at this point and I think unless they do something really stupid, if they do everything right, I'm not gonna use any of those powers on them since it would just seem cruel and I'd rather not stretch the scenario out any further. At least on any of the PC's, or i'll deliberately target high POW targets to drain the house of power.
The good news was nobody died so the house didn't get EVEN stronger even if YES, that was very much the feeling toward Obsessive character after it was over. One agent who's character wasn't there kept wanting to put another bullet in him but they declined to do so.

Also good song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-sHA_SQBI
>>
>>82299727
Giger
>>
>>82299727
Succubi, vampires, devils that seduce, they're everywhere.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (255 KB, 1200x2079)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>82299807
>I kinda feel bad for the undead agent, he doesn't deserve this abuse
That's pretty much been his whole character. First day on the job at Delta Green he was forcibly possessed by the house and slit his own throat after shooting another agent dead.
THEN he wakes up in a bathtub in a motel room with all of his limbs removed and dangling from meathooks above him after some opportunist took his body to do some Herbert West style experiments that unfortunately succeeded. His limbs were reattached, but he can never see his family again.

The whole sort of idea of that event was a way for characters to die and come back far worse for wear but with a few advantages and now no bonds. BUT they can tank damage, they just don't heal naturally anymore. Like that gunshot that took off his ankle was only 4 points of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzFjLaakYg
>>
>>82299904
>The House has up to like 21 POW saved up at this point and I think unless they do something really stupid, if they do everything right, I'm not gonna use any of those powers on them since it would just seem cruel and I'd rather not stretch the scenario out any further.
Out of morbid curiosity, what can the House do with 21 POW?
>>
File: Glitch_Abnormalities.png (49 KB, 822x645)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
Latest version of the Nobilis stats for Project Moon monsters.
>>
File: Rabbit out of space.jpg (332 KB, 1097x1781)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>82300444
It can attempt to do several things.
>Obsession
>Posession

>Obsession
If they have 11 or fewer WP, it may attempt to obsess them via a contest POW roll. This costs POW equal to HALF the victim's WP rounded up. If the house wins they become obsessed with protecting the house but believe they are acting out of their own free will.

>Possession
Same Cost of above but instead of half it is FULL POW equivalent of the Agent's WP at the time.
Possession is Handler Control for 1d20 minutes if they fail the POW vs check.
You can solve this by stunning or restraining said agent and waiting until they are back.

Looking back at it, OBSESSION is far worse than Possession but this is largely due to how its worded in the rules.
Possession is only dangerous in terms of how sudden it comes on.
>>
File: way worse.png (792 KB, 640x721)
792 KB
792 KB PNG
>>82300789
Mhm. Nice OC anon.

... I need to get back to editing mine.
>>
Since he's in the OP...
Anyone have a favorite Mask of Nyarly?
>>
>>82301324
The Tick-Tock man. Also the ones I have created.
>>
At risk of getting called *fag, does anyone here actually like nihilism in their horror games? If so, why? To me I can't see why people would find it appealing. Nihilist prose comes off as obnoxious and angsty to me, but moreover the worst thing you can do in any game, tabletop or otherwise, is take away player agency to do what they want to do and have their choices matter.

RPGs are fundamentally about playing a character and having agency with that character, so don't hopeless/inevitable outcomes strip them of that? I know for a lot of people, myself included, my vibe got killed quick in games like Telltale's Walking Dead when it becomes obvious nothing you do really matters and it's all headed toward the same ending.

As a GM I guess it could be different since you're the one with agency regardless, but then isn't that just kind of a power trip? If you make the outcome of your game hopeless/nihilistic, you're basically reading a story to them, are you not?

Please don't flip out over this, I'm genuinely curious what people find enjoyable about nihilist horror. Granted it's a skubby topic in general, but I'd like to hear the side of people who do like it to get a better understanding why, even if I don't.
>>
File: nightland003.jpg (1.24 MB, 1166x873)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>82301517
>does anyone here actually like nihilism in their horror games?
Because it creates an atmosphere where no matter how hard you fight, there is always more play to be had, more monsters to fight, and a philosophical struggle for meaning ontop of an IN-PLAY Struggle for victory.

It's sorta the same thing as Dark Fantasy to me: The villain may always win in the end, BUT you kept the lights on longer than anyone could.
In a way that's sort of like human life in general. We don't get to have a bountiful set in stone END, everyone eventually dies, its about what you do with the time you have on earth that matters.

Also saving the world at the expense of yourself is noble AF.

Any chosen one hero or Half-dragon mage can take on an ancient evil. They have magical powers and a god on their side.
You know what is a lot harder?
Taking on something so vast people refer to it as a god as an ordinary human being who can just as easily be killed by a gun as anyone else. And then winning.
It's also good for TONE and feel, and establishing a mood which is key for a horror game. A lot of the best horror works in a similar tone by tricking you and then pulling the rug out from under you that the world is a scary and violent place that doesn't always make sense.

The other thing is you get to contrast the worst parts of your life against the worst parts of the game and get to go "At least my life isn't THAT BAD". Playing our really nasty CoC game was what got me and my group of friends through the initial year of COVID as no matter how bad COVID was or got, there weren't ancient frozen gods up in the antarctic which might eventually thaw and wipe out all of existence with a wave of its hand.
One of my player said "Crazy enough this is what has been keeping me sane".

It's not really about GM power fantasies unless you're doing one shots. One shots are the only place "you were set up to lose from the start and your only right move was to walk away" works.
>>
File: Faceless_GOD.gif (13 KB, 200x200)
13 KB
13 KB GIF
>>82301551
>>82301517
To give up in my games is to lose. To continue to fight in the face of impossible odds is to win.

I've never personally seen a DM enjoy killing off his players except in a one shot. I have had moments where it's fun, but if a character dies that's the end of that story and it sucks.
I NEVER determine the inevitable outcome of my games except "eventually the stars will be right" but notice how everywhere from the 20's to the 2020's that's always seemed right around the corner but it's never happened? That's because of us. Because of humans.

>It's also good for TONE and feel, and establishing a mood which is key for a horror game. A lot of the best horror works in a similar tone by tricking you and then pulling the rug out from under you that the world is a scary and violent place that doesn't always make sense.
To elaborate on this. YES players should always have a chance, but death is still very much a good outcome and in some stories it is the best outcome. Think about all of those old horror stories you read in dusty books, in horror anthologies. How often did those stories end with protagonists dead or worse off, or revealing some kind of truth that changed their lives forever? How often did it feel set-up that way from the start and the protagonist didn't see it coming?
Obviously you can find examples that didn't, but death is a common horror trope because it's scary.
Inevitability and lack of control are scary concepts.
I think you're thinking less about nihilism here and more about RAILROADING towards a GM's shitty plot where he defends it as "THATS WHAT HORROR IS" and that's not most of what we talk about in the thread. That's sorta a type of player who's existed since before Old Man Henderson.
And yeah, that feels shitty. That's just a shitty GM. The solution is not to play with that person anymore.

I don't determine the outcomes of my games, I try to swing things toward an outcome that I think would be cool but its up to them.
>>
Also speaking of said themes this looks cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPScwQ-FAbI
>>
The music of the catalog
>>
>>82302674
Easily one of Lovecraft's best stories.
>>
>>
File: SAGAZAAAn.jpg (533 KB, 1575x2362)
533 KB
533 KB JPG
Also for whatever reason the smooth faced ones with the added eyes and cut mouth are often some of my favorite Sagazan Forms.

I swear they removed a lot of his paintings from his website and I don't know why.

Unrelated but this site is good for shit
https://macabregallery.com/
Artsier horror stuff.
>>
>>82299588
Sup, /hsg/, im brainstorming ideas for placing a CoC 7e game in a relatively generic cyberpunk setting. Ive come up with some crunch, like new skills and some very broadstrokes for cybernetics.

For the adventure, im thinking of an It style setup. PCs all grew up in the same apartment project as childhood friends, but have since grown up/apart, practically forgetting each other. They each receive bizarre calls from dead loved ones, etc., telling them to come home. Any attempts to trace or otherwise investigate the call reveal the spurce as their childhood apartment building, which has since fallen deep into squalor, crime and disrepair. As they arrive, they have to search the building for clues of why theyre being summoned. Im thinking as children, they had some shared Mythos encounter, the memory of which theyve all repressed. Theyll gradually remember the event, which will tie into the current mystery. Im open to suggestions for encounters, structure, pacing, etc.
>>
>>82302852
Come up with a concept, some kind of horrific idea you really really like and think you could wring a lot out of.
Barring that fixate it around a certain mythos entity. In the future it could be anything from Mi-Go protomatter to Hounds of Tindalos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVofHZ-VvQ
has some ideas.

I would go with something so traumatizing it might force them to go down that route. Perhaps they recognize one of their friends is not fully human. PERHAPS we go the fan theory At the Mountains of Madness route where it turns out all human beings are descended from the same genetic code as Shoggoths, making us all potential proto-shoggoths in wait against our will... waiting for the call of a secret code.

Perhaps one of their friends they all remember the name of but could not find found a "dormant" Elder Thing/Great Old One from At the Mountains of Madness frozen which he stole from a shipment. The creature AWOKE in his apartment building or someone else there awoke it and it transformed their friend.

Now their friend may still be out there... in a new form. Shoggoths are known to mimic after all............

Making it a friend opens you up to a LOT of fun lovecraft possibilities such as anything from Reanimate from Essential Salts to the man-beasts from The Lurking Fear. Stuff like old family curses continuing into the new millenium is something I haven't seen before, but you can also slide in any of your own home-made dimensional fuckiness.

You've got a genuinely good setup here anon.
let me know if you want 6e protomatter stats from the DG 1e handbook. I bring up protomatter as it first appeared in a Cyberpunk 2020 adventure.
>>
File: Tick-tock.png (666 KB, 643x791)
666 KB
666 KB PNG
>>82302852
As for pacing etc and the stuff you asked for it's like nearly 3AM rn and I'll try to send stuff later. I'd draw out the beginning as they start finding interesting clues.
Keep it creeping, and make it hard to tell what's really going on. Cyberpunk is seedy, so keep it seedy, like a neon innsmouth but it's not innsmouth, it's the cyberpunk future where everyone is just dicks because of the way society has gone. Nobody wants to help you, all they know is that place is bad news and anyone still living there wants you out.

Throw in some mythos horrors that interfere with technology. You can do a ton.

"The Tick Tock Man, sometimes known as the Machine-
God, is machine imbued with the mind of Nyarlathotep
and can take any number of forms, some of which may
be initially indistinguishable from a living person (of any
gender). While groups of people—sometimes scientists,
sometimes enthusiastic amateurs—may come together to
work on building machines that eventually become sentient
(infused with the Crawling Chaos), they are not organized
cults when compared to other groups devoted to a Mythos
deity. Oft times, a lone individual may be secretly guided by
the hand of Nyarlathotep (perhaps via inspirational dreams,
papers, a book, video, sound file, or similar) tempting them
to construct a particular machine that can (unknowingly
to them) be filled with the essence of the Tick Tock Man.
Initially, such machines may provide advanced reasoning,
calculations, and other technical wonders surpassing other
contemporary work, and then later begin to exhibit self-
thought and individual intelligence. The final stage of such
creations is the full manifestation of the Tick Tock Man
within the machine’s circuits or cogs. The rapidity of the
advancement of the machine to full manifestation varies,
happening over days, months, or years."
>>
>>82303008
>I FEEL FANTASTIC! HEY-HEY-HEY!
>>
I hate it when people get stuff wrong about the Other Gods/Ultimate Gods (aka Outer Gods), usually from non-HPL additions and stuff peddled by Chaosium. People always draw them as giant kaiju floating in space which doesn't do them any justice.
>Blind, tenebrous, voiceless, mindless
these are words used to try to describe the indescribable nature of these beings.
>Azathoth is asleep and when he wakes Universe goes bye bye
Misconception drawn from a vague metaphorical poem, more associated with Mana-Yood-Sushai than Azathoth.
>Dwell in centre of the universe
No they dwell in the Ultimate Void/Chaos that's outside all space, time and dimensions. Dreams in the Witch House mentions the journey there (helped by Nyarly) follows the alien curves and spirals of a vortex that follows laws and mathematics outside any conceivable cosmos. These outer voids are described as "ultimate blackness" and "spiral black vortices",
>>
>>82303812
Did you copypasta yourself?
Be honest now.
>>
>>82302702
I'm inclined to agree. It really feels like a perfect story set in his universe. It's got everything that made Lovecraft great and it really makes you feel that fear of the unknown with just whatever the fuck was outside the window.
>>
>>82303812
anon do you think Azathoth is so alien what we see in our material universe is only the part of him that we can perceive as physcial beings? Does it exist so far beyond us he exists on another non material plane that we can't even comprehend?
>>
>>82301324
The Haunter of the Dark or the Tick-Tock Man.
>>
>>
>>82303008
>>82303532
Nyarly is a wacky guy.
>>
>>82301551
>>82301606
It's not my taste in horror, I prefer a more optimistic approach the likes of August Derleth, but I get why you like what you do. Good explanation.
>>
>>82307816
for you
>>
>>82308759
If I removed that tongue, would he die?
>>
File: 1455125883296.jpg (154 KB, 500x582)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Ever have that feeling that you're being watched? Eh, I'm sure it's just your imagination.
>>
I need an otherwordly horror to stand opposite a santa-esque fae guardian
>>
File: IMG_1016.jpg (3.61 MB, 3456x5184)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
>>82310475
Mutated aspects of Christmas.

The film krampus has some good ones.
>>
>>82304469
He exists in a hyperreal void beyond even infinite-dimensional space
>>
>>82310475
The movie Krampus is literally all about that. But if you want some other inspiration, a giant warped demonic version of a Christmas Tree that devours the souls of children is an idea I've been throwing around.
>>
>>82311891
Post more Krampus monsters.
>>
File: polybius.jpg (38 KB, 630x1200)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>82302958
>>82303008
Thanks dude, this is all good stuff. I'm the cyberpunk poster you're responding to. So far, I've made the following progress:

1) I've decided to call my CoC7e Cyberpunk homebrew "Sprawl of Cthulhu."
2) I've been putting pen to paper for the adventure I mentioned, the apartment building one, which I'm calling Homecoming. I'm shamelessly ripping off the short story collection Eldritch Chrome found on Chaosium's website, mashing up ideas found there, particular a Nyarlathotep-worshipping serial killer named Crawling Face. I'm also going to watch the Candyman movies again to draw from those, my adventure is shaping up to be a cyberpunk Candyman/It combo thing so far.
3) I got drunk because its Thanksgiving Eve. I have no regrets.

Also, as a general note to /hsg/, I really like you guys. I've posted here before concerning my current Achtung Cthulhu game and I've received nothing but helpful feedback from anons like who I'm responding to. idk if its all one guy or several, but you're the most helpful /tg/ users i've actually seen so far. Thanks for the help, you're doing God's work, fellas. Happy Thanksgiving!
>>
>>82312685
Thanks. I wish I could've been more helpful with the achtung cthulhu stuff but my experience is limited.
>>
>>82299588
The aspects of Nyarlathotep are aware they are aspects of him but don't innately listen to him and may even act against him. It makes the drama that he causes all the more exciting when you give up "some" control over the situation.
>>
Anyone got any experience with the Stalker rpg? Is it any good? Any other systems people would recommend for a stalker-ish experience?
>>
>>82313399
I ran it for about a year and it remains the best for the stalker experience.

Unlike most rpgs, combat is NOT gonna be the meat of the game, it's more of a side-dish.
It is very good and if you find the system doesn't work, you can swap it out for another easily.

Expect to have to write your own adventures. The novel Hollow Pilgrim us half book in the setting half supplement.
>>
>>82313399
Any further questions? It is my favorite rpg.
>>
>>82313962
How well does the diceless system work? I've played a lot of different systems, but never really strayed into anything that didn't have that baseline randomness attached to it.
>>
>>82299588
>What are your thoughts on Nyarlathotep
Have been thinking about that aspect of Nyarlathotep as referenced by Carter's 'Horror at the Museum' and what Abbith would be like.
>>
Do you think the Species movies could be a framework for a psychological horror? The second movie plays with the idea of humans being infected with the alien DNA and becoming aliens themselves, sublimated to their new alien instincts and unable to stop this process.
>>
>>82313399
I think CoC7e would actually make for a good Stalker game, especially if you get creative and flesh out the gun list. There's a 6e gun supplement that's easy to convert and I'd highly recommend it. Otherwise pretty much ever CoC mechanic could fit in perfectly and need little modification, not just for Stalker but for just about any horror. Beyond the trademark it's pretty much a generic system.

I did see a Unisystem/AFMBE hack for Stalker years ago, but I don't know if it's still around. I remember finding it on a share thread maybe 5 or 6 six years back. Unisystem is criminally underrated and makes for great action-survival horror.

There's Gurps of course if you're willing to iron out the kinks. I think with the right blend and trimming of content it could work really well.

If it came down to it, I'd run it in CoC myself. Call it Call of Chernoby.
>>
>>82315064
My typos are embarrassing, but you get the idea.
>>
>>82315076
>Call of Chernoby
but nah I appreciate the recs, thanks bud
>>
>>82304469
Azathoth is the be-all and end-all of the Mythos. He is the end of the road. A cosmic horror to other cosmic horrors.
>>
>>82315128
This is inaccurate to what Lovecraft detailed. At the end of the hierarchy of Archetypes is the Supreme Archetype, that which we've mistakenly labelled "Yog-Sothoth" amongst other things. Azathoth at most, is just another facet of it.
>>
>>82315128
Azathoth isn't the source/maker of the universe contrary to popular opinion. Reality isn't just his dream, but his dreams do typically get made into reality. Who or what is actually the be-all end-all being is unknown and open to tons of speculation, from a benevolent God like in Christianity to an omniversal malignancy of malevolence, or maybe neither and it's just some mindless fabric of existence on which everything else is woven. Depends on your headcanon, since there's not really any actual canon to the Mythos, just loads of random ideas slapped together.

But no, Azathoth's not the origin of existence in the Cthulhu mythos, nor is Yog-Sothoth. I don't know any works where that's the case.
>>
>>82315577
Even the Supreme Archetype, the defacto highest power in OG Lovecraft lore, states that change (and thusly actually affecting anything on a meaningful scale) isn't possible in the cosmology. The Archetypes are ultimately just as bound to the nature of existence as everything else, they can just recognize it.

It's hard to really call them "Gods" when they're more like the source code on your computer. They operate and allow everything to work, but they're hardly in any more control than the software loaded onto the system.
>>
The Absence is kinda boring the more I read about it, what makes people like it?
>>
>>82315615
>Even the Supreme Archetype, the defacto highest power in OG Lovecraft lore
Funny I don't remember reading about the supreme archetype in Lovecraft, is this your head canon?
Also it would be good if you could answer the question and only the question directly by refraining from referring to any oblique references of Lovecraftian vagueness where potentially his words are open to a plethora of inferences.
>>
>>82315263
>Lovecraft
Actually Lovecraft helped write that story with E Hoffman Price, and most of the weird ideas presented were actually Price's as he was a Buddhist and was into weird eastern religions. Lovecraft was responsible for the opening and the Yaddith parts mostly.
>>
>>82315724
>Funny I don't remember reading about the supreme archetype in Lovecraft, is this your head canon?
It is literally in Through the Gates of the Silver Key, one of the longest written publications by Lovecraft before his death that you can read for free online.

>In the face of that awful wonder, the quasi-Carter forgot the horror of destroyed individuality. It was an All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self—not merely a thing of one Space-Time continuum, but allied to the ultimate animating essence of existence’s whole unbounded sweep—the last, utter sweep which has no confines and which outreaches fancy and mathematics alike. It was perhaps that which certain secret cults of earth have whispered of as YOG-SOTHOTH, and which has been a deity under other names; that which the crustaceans of Yuggoth worship as the Beyond-One, and which the vaporous brains of the spiral nebulae know by an untranslatable Sign—yet in a flash the Carter-facet realised how slight and fractional all these conceptions are.

>The archetypes, throbbed the waves, are the people of the ultimate abyss—formless, ineffable, and guessed at only by rare dreamers on the low-dimensioned worlds. Chief among such was this informing BEING itself . . . which indeed was Carter’s own archetype. The glutless zeal of Carter and all his forbears for forbidden cosmic secrets was a natural result of derivation from the SUPREME ARCHETYPE. On every world all great wizards, all great thinkers, all great artists, are facets of IT

Please don't make yourself look like a total idiot online the next time you post. Do your own research.

>>82315769
Price penned the initial idea, but he sent the first draft to Lovecraft who expanded it into the massive thing it became by the time they were finished.
>>
>>82315769
>>82315792
Silver Key is also part of what some call "the Randolph Carter cycle", where each story is a somewhat interconnected tale regarding Carter's journey through the Mythos. So even then, it's 99% Lovecraft, with some ideas here and there from his contemporaries.
>>
Since I don't feel like waiting for the finished version of Mothership to come out, can someone recommend a good one shot module for the system?
>>
>>82315810
Hit the button too soon.
Ideally something that involves a team of dudes going into a scary place. Ran bloom because of that premise (though it was something that needed work)

also lucky the nuSR trove was on mega and not on allsync
>>
>>82315810
Dead Planet
>>
>>82315807
>ideas here and there
from what i've researched, the part where Randolph was talking the the Archetypes with all the philosophical stuff was pretty much all Price's stuff.
>>
>>82315792
Please read my comment again because you've done exactly what I told you not to do. There's no indication supreme archetype refers to anything, maybe it's a concept formulated by Carter to describe a gestalt primacy of form or as a principle of creation / evolution or even Yog Sothoth itself. It's vagary you've converted in to your own head canon, I fucking knew it.
>>
>>82315831
gimme a quick rundown what's cool about that one since it didn't really grab me when I skimmed it.
(did find the random nightmares table very useful)
>>
>>82315878
>There's no indication supreme archetype refers to anything, maybe it's a concept formulated by Carter to describe a gestalt primacy of form or as a principle of creation / evolution or even Yog Sothoth itself.
Read the fucking text. Slowly this time: I'll even help you since you're fucking blind clearly.

>>The archetypes, throbbed the waves, are the people of the ultimate abyss—formless, ineffable, and guessed at only by rare dreamers on the low-dimensioned worlds. Chief among such was this informing BEING itself . . . which indeed was Carter’s own archetype. The glutless zeal of Carter and all his forbears for forbidden cosmic secrets was a natural result of derivation from the SUPREME ARCHETYPE.
Literally called the Supreme Archetype here, where it's referring to the archetypes as "The people of the waves (realities emanating from the archetypes)". It also refers to it as chief among them.

>In the face of that awful wonder, the quasi-Carter forgot the horror of destroyed individuality. It was an All-in-One and One-in-All of limitless being and self—not merely a thing of one Space-Time continuum, but allied to the ultimate animating essence of existence’s whole unbounded sweep—the last, utter sweep which has no confines and which outreaches fancy and mathematics alike. It was perhaps that which certain secret cults of earth have whispered of as YOG-SOTHOTH, and which has been a deity under other names; that which the crustaceans of Yuggoth worship as the Beyond-One and which the vaporous brains of the spiral nebulae know by an untranslatable Sign—yet in a flash the Carter-facet realised how slight and fractional all these conceptions are.
Literally outright called Yog-Sothoth in this entire paragraph, where it's outright stated that this (amongst many other names) is a "slight and fractional conception" of what THE BEING truly is.

Fuck off and die.
>>
>>82315857
Most of the actual Archetype lore (especially the Ultimate Gate stuff) is Lovecraft. It shows back up in Hypnos.
>>
>>82315878
Read >>82315911.

I'd post the other lines from the story blowing you the fuck out, but I'm tired and not in the mood. So instead, I'm going to point you to the actual story itself which directly explains the Archetypes and if you keep making idiotic posts, then I'll keep pointing you back to it until you either get the info through your thick skull or you leave. Whichever comes first.
https://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/tgsk.aspx
>>
>>82315911
No I WILL NOT respond to you anymore you've proven beyond any shadow of a doubt your retardation. If you're referring to Yog Sothoth just say Yog Sothoth so that everyone knows what is being referred, you don't need to dress it up in some throw away reference in one paragraph of one Lovecraft story because it makes you sound like an insufferable twat.
>>
Don't piss off azathoh-anon, I like him :(
>>
>>82315955
Throwing a tantrum because you got blown the fuck out is pretty much an absolute admission of defeat. "YOG-SOTHOTH" is outright referred to as a wholly incorrect way to refer to the Entity, with the Supreme Archetype being a better way to address it given that it's the culmination of them all as they are minute facets of it.

>>82315963
If he actually cared about Mythos lore like he claims, then he'd care for accuracy. Starting a bitchfit over something that you can take literally only a minute to Google is unbecoming and reflects so poorly on his character that it calls into question how much he knows about Lovecraft to begin with.
>>
File: Conceptualchoke1.png (517 KB, 1280x720)
517 KB
517 KB PNG
>>82315963
>>
>>82315963
I like him when he's not being a twat peddling utter twaddle. This is not one of those times. Failing to recognize stuff from Silver Key (despite it being almost up there with Dream Quest in terms of understanding Lovecraft beyond the expanded stuff) and dismissing any claims to the contrary as "headcanon" has to be the second most retarded thing I've seen in these threads after Detwillerfag.
>>
>>82315955
>throw-away reference
That story is the biggest lore related piece we have for Yoggy outside of Dunwich Horror. Which itself doesn't go into great detail about him.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about or really any knowledge of Lovecraft beyond what you've gleaned from these threads + bits of random Chaosium lore, and it shows. Thats not a bad thing in and of itself, but it makes you look like an ass if this is how you react to being corrected.
>>
>>82315981
>"YOG-SOTHOTH" is outright referred to as a wholly incorrect way to refer to the Entity
Oh fuck off you pretentious twat, you're using this thread as a mental fapping ground to illustrate that you've recently read Silver Key (well done big hand clap from me, so impressive) and want to flaunt that fact by referring to Yog Sothoth as 'The Supreme Archetpe'. This does not add any clarity to the thread other than to highlight your own obnoxiousness.
>>
>>82316024
I've mentioned stuff from Silver Key before, I haven't even reread it in a while either. I just know shit that's from it when I see it.

You have yet to either address the points against you (namely calling stuff literally written into the work "headcanon" and being immediately proven wrong) as well as failing to address the fact that yes, Yog-Sothoth is just one title given to an entity that we literally cannot describe. You can even reread >>82315792 and >>82315911 if you're having a hard time grasping it.
>>
File: 1611082340113.jpg (19 KB, 500x747)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>82314003
Yes, but you can't expect the game to be mostly about combat like most games, stalker is more about exploration and survival and combat is fairly barebones stock without even a method for turn by turn resolution.

The diceless system is a complex system of
>problem
>dm sets a given solution
>Player comes up with a solution and gets bonuses for having a better solution than the GM
>How well it does is based on How Well the solution works (vs task difficulty) + how well it is roleplayed, with bonuses for: relevant characrer skills, relevant equipment, the situation (is it rainy, is someone holding up a tarp to keep the engine dry while you work on it)
>if the total number beats the challenge rating you suceed.
>Players can force a success at a cost by temporarily burning an attribute point and taking some kind of penalty.

It also has no health system proper, and burning fitbess points is how you don't die as the game normally is pretty lethal. It's probably the best diceless system I have seen and removes the two-brained "roleplay vs dice rolls" you see in most games.

Add in
>Character creation which prevents mary sues
>One of the best settings in rpgs period
>Some pretty great gm advice
>A ton of good plot/scenario seeds

Even then, you can force round by round combat to work. I've done it and my players liked it, it just takes some teething to get used to if you are used to "they are getting bored, here's some bandits..." which doesn't work in stalker like it does in D&D or CoC.

It's very different from conventional horror at the table and mashes things together in a really cool way. It inspired probably the first real "world" I ever built in a game.
>>
>>82316042
One more thing
>the hand of fate system adds an innate resource scarcity to the game even without counting bullets or much beyond, bolts and days of food & water.

God I want to sit down and reread it now.
>>
File: EgmvJCPUcAUYyGC.jpg (30 KB, 500x333)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>82312220
>>
>>82315963
I don't think it's even Azathoth anon. It's probably just Detwillerfag throwing another tantrum and falseflagging as someone else.
>>
>>82316021
>You clearly have no idea what you're talking about or really any knowledge of Lovecraft
Oh yes! Because clearly as we all know referring to Yog Sothoth as THE SUPREME ARCHETYPE is so important to the essence of Lovecraft knowledge how could we even contemplate understanding his work if you hadn't been there to point this out!!!??? Retard.
>>
>>82316024
>>82316074
>literally says "Funny I don't remember reading about the supreme archetype in Lovecraft, is this your head canon?"
>gets proven wrong 10 seconds later
>NOOOOOO I-IT'S JUST PRETENTIOUSNESS! IT DOESNT SAY WHAT IT SAYS NOOOOO
You are literally having a mental breakdown over Lovecraft's own work. Go touch grass and calm down.
>>
>>82316074
That wasn't the point of the argument and you know it. Stop moving goalposts and just own up to the fact that you were wrong. It's not even something worth crying over, since most of the expanded shit doesn't follow Lovecraft's OG cosmology anyhow.
>>
>>82313399
I finally found it, don't really like the system all that much since it's basically "convince the GM you can do X and spend stat points if if's not enough" which works for stuff like puzzles (and most anomalies are puzzle-like) since they're controlled but would be annoying for more chaotic stuff like combat. I mean you're supposed to use numbers for the difficulty but it boils down to persuading the GM in the end.
I suck at "puzzle" design so you won't see me running it unless I find a similar enough module.

>>82316042
>Some pretty great gm advice
eh, it would have been better if it had more examples instead of guidelines that, like many other guidelines in gm advice segments boil down to "just make your adventure good, fag"
>>
>>82316085
Mentioned once, it wasn't even worth mentioning. We can all understand Yog Sothoth is meant to refer to something that isn't simply a tentacled alien space god, it's implicit to the story and doesn't exactly take a genius to arrive at this inference.
>>
>>82316121
>Mentioned once, it wasn't even worth mentioning.
Archetypes are mentioned multiple times in TGOSK. You haven't even read it have you?
>>
>>82316106
>Stop moving goalposts
Since not at all. I ASKED you if this was your head canon. You then went off on a tirade and successfully demonstrated one throw away reference in one paragraph. Well done I guess, just say Yog Sothoth next time because nobody is impressed you picked out a substitute term for it in your recent reading of the story.
>>
>>82316138
>Archetypes are mentioned multiple times
Be precise here we are referring to the SUPREME ARCHETYPE as you like to remind as Yog Sothoth should be referred. Which was referenced a grand total of once in Lovecraft's vagaries.
>>
>>82316169
>Since not at all.
Yes, you are. You spouted a bunch of bullshit clearly having not even read the story or even known about it, then threw a temper tantrum when you got proven wrong and starting tossing out ad hominem and strawmen when people corrected you instead of just taking the L and leaving it at that.

> I ASKED you if this was your head canon.
Not even the same person you were arguing with, you schizo. Try again.

>You then went off on a tirade and successfully demonstrated one throw away reference in one paragraph. Well done I guess, just say Yog Sothoth next time because nobody is impressed you picked out a substitute term for it in your recent reading of the story.
The entire story repeatedly and consistently refers to a singular archetypal entity from which all diverges. Don't know about you, but that's pretty clear cut to me.
>>
>>82316001
>dismissing any claims to the contrary as "headcanon"
Who even argues over what's canon in Lovecraft's mythos anyway? The guy outright said he rejected the notion of a consistent setting for his works when asked, expressed how he preferred just having loose backdrops and archetypes for his stories, and encouraged anyone and everyone to write whatever they wanted for it. It's what baffles me about so-called Lovecraft "purists" because Lovecraft had no canon in the first place. He specifically -didn't- want canon and when pressed by fanmail just said "uh it's yog-sothoth cycles or some shit idk".
>>
>>82316204
It also means there's no real reason to get angry over what is/isn't "canon" because, again, there isn't an actual canon. The creator of the setting tells you directly to do what you want to do and not bother trying to make it line up to his or other works.
>>
>>82316194
>Be precise here we are referring to the SUPREME ARCHETYPE as you like to remind as Yog Sothoth should be referred.
Well, no. He's mentioning the fact that the archetypes are mentioned multiple times in the story.

>All descended lines of beings of the finite dimensions, continued the waves, and all stages of growth in each one of these beings, are merely manifestations of one archetypal and eternal being in the space outside dimensions. Each local being—son, father, grandfather, and so on—and each stage of individual being—infant, child, boy, young man, old man—is merely one of the infinite phases of that same archetypal and eternal being, caused by a variation in the angle of the consciousness-plane which cuts it. Randolph Carter at all ages; Randolph Carter and all his ancestors both human and pre-human, terrestrial and pre-terrestrial; all these were only phases of one ultimate, eternal “Carter” outside space and time—phantom projections differentiated only by the angle at which the plane of consciousness happened to cut the eternal archetype in each case.

>The archetypes, throbbed the waves, are the people of the ultimate abyss—formless, ineffable, and guessed at only by rare dreamers on the low-dimensioned worlds. Chief among such was this informing BEING itself . . . which indeed was Carter’s own archetype.

>But the entities outside the Gates command all angles, and view the myriad parts of the cosmos in terms of fragmentary, change-involving perspective, or of the changeless totality beyond perspective, in accordance with their will.

And then there are several paragraphs describing "Carter" and the Carter Archetypes which wouldn't fit the post limit. All of these, are just aspects of the PRESENCE that Carter encounters. Which is the Supreme Archetype which you, for whatever reason, thinks is headcanon because it contradicts the notion you've got stuck in your skull that Azathoth is the supreme deity.

>>82316204
Also this.
>>
>>82316204
>>82316228
>>82316244
You can get ignore Lovecraft's original writings, but getting pissed over it contradicting (ironically) your own fanon is asinine.

What the Azathothfag doesn't recognize is that it doesn't fucking matter: you can ignore Silver Key and literally everything else that Lovecraft wrote and wank Azathoth to be the top god if you want to. But the man himself never shared that view, even if he encouraged others to have their own interpretations. THAT'S what people have been correcting him about.
>>
>>82316201
>Yes, you are.
I can assure you I asked whether it was your head canon, the proof is up thread and irrefutable.
>Not even the same person
Nice try same fag.
So back to trying to impress people with your Yog Sothoth knowledge? Excuse, I meant SUPREME ARCHETYPE because clearly this adds such depth of clarity because no one could ever suspect this particular story was going in a metaphysical direction after reading the first two pages, right?
>>
>>82316267
>I can assure you I asked whether it was your head canon, the proof is up thread and irrefutable.
Still not the same person.

>So back to trying to impress people with your Yog Sothoth knowledge? Excuse, I meant SUPREME ARCHETYPE because clearly this adds such depth of clarity because no one could ever suspect this particular story was going in a metaphysical direction after reading the first two pages, right?
You do realize getting this mad over nonsense non-arguments which nobody was debating only makes you look like even more a totally unhinged nutcase, right Detwillerfaggot? Oh I'm sorry, or would you prefer Azathothfag?
>>
Take meds.
>>
>Detwillerfag is also the same lunatic who's been wanking Azathoth these past few months
Are there still people acting like this sperg isn't a fucking blight on the general, now? Because at this point we aren't going to have fucking ANYTHING to talk about since everything triggers him.
>>
>>82316306
To be fair, I may disagree with the Azathoth #1 guy, but I think there's equal if not greater blame on people responding. Not in a sense of don't take bait, but in a sense of saying it's bait in the first place. I'm not saying there's definitely not any shitposting ever in /hsg/, but I think in this thread and many others people are too quick to conflate posts that they disagree with or dislike and intentional provocation to make them mad.
>>
File: 1627609310020.png (1.01 MB, 1121x1152)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>82316267
This is the original post that upset you >>82315615, in reference to a post stating that Azathoth is not the creator of the universe nor is the Supreme Archetype some kind of all-powerful God. You then threw a fucking schizo temper tantrum and tanked the thread and are now getting hung up on minutiae that have nothing to do with your original point or the post you replied to.

Nobody here is treating you seriously because you've made it abundantly clear that you are severely mentally ill and not here to argue in good faith.

TLDR: Take meds and get out of our thread.
>>
>>82316244
>Well, no. He's mentioning the fact that the archetypes are mentioned multiple times in the story.
Actually no, I was referring to the supreme archetype being specifically mentioned once. Responded with noting archetypes minus the supreme qualifier are mentioned multiple times...which wasn't specific enough for my qualifier. It's really quite simple when you take care to read carefully.
>>
>>82316346
Anon, his literal first response was to get mad over someone mentioning the Supreme Archetype/Yog-Sothoth as being the "de-facto highest power" without SPECIFICALLY calling it Yog-Sothoth. He then derailed the thread getting mad over this out of either malicious shitposting reasons or autism or both. His little rants sont even have anything to do with the original discussion he was intruding into.

Fuck, a bigger problem are all the people who are so quick to give shitposters the benefit of the doubt here. This guy was never here to be genuine or to actually ASK about the story, he was just here to start shit and get mad over nothing. Always was, which makes it pretty fucking clear as to who this is.
>>
>>82316360
>his is the original post
Yeah even with THE SUPREME ARCHETYPE rumination sort of at a lull right now, you must acknowledge there's still an awful lot of fucking head canon in that post.
>>
>>82316001
Azathoth-anon here, please don't post that picture as Azathoth isn't a giant kaiju in space lmao. It makes me REEEEE hard
>>82316065
>>82315963
I posted >>82303812, >>82315128, >>82315769 and >>82315857, the rest are other anons. I do know about all the Ultimate Gate/Supreme Archetype stuff and I respect peoples knowledge about it, but as the ideas represented in the story are heavily inspired by Price's ideas (not to say Lovecraft didn't have any influence) I tend to regard the Supreme Archetype as more of a interpretation by one of Lovecraft's contemporaries of the grand Mythos that doesn't have any solid canon. I consider it less "canon" so-to-speak than pure-Lovecraft-written stories, and I do believe that Azathoth was always intended to be at the top of the hierarchy in Lovecraft's Mythos. Yog-Sothoth is the kingdom and Azathoth is the king is a good way to look at both these entities.
>>
>>82316394
>head canon
Nobody fucking cares. Not Lovecraft, not his friends, not even random people on the internet who you're getting mad over for having wrong opinions on the internet over a work whose very nature means it has no "hard canon". That's not even what you're arguing about either, which makes this another clear deflection on your part to shift the blame for this shit to someone else.

Take your meds, Detwillerfag. You were told to fuck off last thread and you'll still be told to fuck off here.
>>
>>82316403
Lovecraft first used the concept of the Gates denoting infinite higher spatial dimensions transcending lower ones in Hypnos, bwck in 1923. Silver Key which uses the exact same ideas was released in 1934.

If anything, Lovecraft is the one whose ideas inspired Price.
>>
>>82316403
To continue, I think the best "pure-Lovecraft" stories that talk about the cosmology itself are "Hypnos", "Dream-Quest", "Whisperer in Darkness", "Haunter in the Dark" and "Dreams in the Witch House". Through the Gate of the Silver Key certainly presents and impressive and expansive cosmology that complements the other stories, but I feel the philosophical Price stuff bogs it down a little and removes some mystery, while at the same time presenting a universe of cosmic enlightenment for those willing to seek it which robs the terror of the Mythos.
>>
>>82316381
>This guy was never here to be genuine or to actually ASK about the story
Don't need to ask, I know the story what I wanted to clarify is if the supreme archetype was the other guy's head canon because even though I've read it some time ago I didn't zone in on one particular term and run with it. Then as you'll note the other guy got very pissy at the suggestion I questioned his head canon. The lesson we can learn is refer to Yog Sothoth as Yog Sothoth for clarity, if he'd have said Yog Sothoth, referred to as the supreme archetype in Silver Key there would have been no issue.
>>
File: EwxsjqqVkAI7Ax8.jpg (434 KB, 2048x1284)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>>82316403
Seeing your post, then yeah; this is jsut another falseflag from Detwillerfag to tear the general apart using something he barely knows anything about. In much the same way he tried to start shit using Ligotti and Lynch in earlier threads.

Ignore and report people. He's done it before and he'll keep doing it. The only way to win is to not engage.
>>
>>82316452
Go to bed Detwillerfag.
>>
>>82316450
Price was only using ideas Lovecraft had already set the foundation for. Everything that came about in the final draft of Through the Gate of the Silver Key, per word of Price himself, was all Lovecraft. Also, I still think the ideas presented in that story are inherently terrifying. You don't reach enlightenment if you go past the Ultimate Gate. At best, it's ego-death.
>>
File: COrKLBiWEAA7bPO.jpg (28 KB, 620x400)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Azathoth-anon again. I confess I spend too much time trying to understand the intricacies of the mythos and I honestly tend to over-think and obsess about things - right down to small details. I probably need a break. I honestly think Lovecraft is sending me insane in real life.
>>
>I know the story
>From >>82315724: Funny I don't remember reading about the supreme archetype in Lovecraft,
It's amazing how poorly thought out your own lies are, Detwillerfag.

>>82316503
Regular and constant breaks are a necessity for your own physical and mental health. Stay safe, Azathoth-anon.
>>
>>82316407
>Take your meds, Detwillerfag.
I dislike Detwiller, I think he's self important and possesses an over estimation of his own talent. I think he fucked up Through a Glass Darkly which is painfully obvious it was written in two halves at different times when the story changed what is was about and was not only anti climax leading to a new era of Delta Green but also that aspect seemed unbelievable in places. No idea who this Azathoth fag is either, I like Azathoth but Yog Sothoth is equally important to me as it represents space time.
>>
>>82316514
>Not remembering one single term from a story.
Oh I'm totally lying about reading it. Please kill yourself.
>>
>>82316470
>>82316514
Reiterating:
>I'm not saying there's definitely not any shitposting ever in /hsg/, but I think in this thread and many others people are too quick to conflate posts that they disagree with or dislike and intentional provocation to make them mad.
>>82316381
People can post in a shitty way and not be shitposters, and they can get too angry about a topic yet not be trying to kill the thread in some way. People can be mean and piss you off without being disingenuous.
>>
File: 1534100987750.jpg (94 KB, 1366x768)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>82316544
>>82316554
Fuck off, Detwillerfag.
>>
>>82316555
Do you honestly believe that looking at this entire tantrum, that it's NOT just another attempt to kill the thread? Be honest now.
>>
>>82316555
There is literally nobody alive who is retarded enough to get mad because you used a title instead of the specific name of an entity. No one. This is not somebody just being ignorant or autistic, this is just someone going out of their way to derail the thread out of willful maliciousness.
>>
>>82316635
>nobody alive who is retarded enough to get mad because
You underestimate the internet, or the world at large.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
>>
>>82316555
>>82316635
>People can post in a shitty way and not be shitposters
This is also an oxymoron; if you post in an intentionally shitty way to make others mad, then you're a shitposter. No buts about it.

I'm honestly not sure why you're stooping so low as to be defending this sort of crap anon. All it would have taken is just to punch a result in on google and the autist would see that he's the only one who has ever gotten mad about this. He didn't because he doesn't know anything about what he's talking about.

>>82316656
Malice and stupidity go hand in hand.
>>
>>82316670
>if you post in an intentionally shitty way to make others mad, then you're a shitposter. No buts about it.
Yes, but posting shittily doesn't mean it's intentional. Some people are shitty at arguing or articulating their opinions. It doesn't mean they came here to make you, specifically you, angry and reply as to stop your fun.
>Malice and stupidity go hand in hand.
Sometimes, but sometimes they're too stupid to mean it maliciously. This guy states his opinion retardedly, but the opinion alone isn't bait, not just because it makes you feel like angrily replying. I'm not defending or attacking anyone, just constantly shouting bait or troll hurts the thread more than bait or trolling itself.
>>
>>82316554
The very first result you get when you type in "Supreme Archetype" online is about Through the Gates and Yog-Sothoth. So yes, you did not read this story. You just saw the name and immediately decided to use it for your latest shitposting spree since you probably had some vague memory of it being talked about before. Same way you didn't know shit about Ligotti but insisted in trying to smear his name and that of his fans.
>>
>>82316681
This guy's opinion is also so retarded that doing literally ANY research would cause him to see he is the only one that has ever gotten mad about this or doesn't know what "supreme archetype" is referring to. Even when presented with evidence, he still insists that he's in the right and actively moves goalposts to try and make himself seem blameless. That is no longer "stating an opinion retardedly"; that requires active willful malevolence to start blatantly ignoring evidence and changing the definition of the argument.

Maybe it started out as him just spouting a dumb opinion (which it always fucking does) but it never stays that way.
>>
>>82316681
>>82316700
I'm just going to point out that both Detwllerfag and Elmfag started out as people who came here to post their "opinions".

Your point is good in theory anon, but in practice, it's literally always shitposters. Giving people the benefit of the doubt on /tg/ stopped being a thing in 2015, and with the Detwiller autist, we've GIVEN him more than enough chances to act like a decent poster and not go around antagonizing people, even using the same logic you're using. He never does. He might stop for a thread or two, but he always comes back to start shit in the thread again. It's exhausting lowering our guard constantly because we keep giving the same guy the opportunity to quit shitting up the thread and then people are surprised when he shits up the thread. Saying that we should stop shouting him down would be nice if it weren't for the fact that the moment anyone stops, he's right back at it with stirring shit.

There is literally no point in treating him or anyone else who acts like this with the assumption that they're not going to shit up the thread, either unintentionally or (more likely) intentionally. He even said as much last thread - he wants the threads to die. There's no reason why we should assume benign or even general neutrality when it comes to people like this.

But whatever. It's not like anyone here thinks about how it's always the same repeated posting style each time starting the problems or how he always acts in the same smarmy dismissive way to anyone who doesn't share the same opinions. I'm just here to talk about horror stuff, even if this general is making that increasingly more difficult by the day.
>>
>>
File: cyberpunk vr headset.jpg (66 KB, 480x600)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>82313221
My dude, its no problem, you tried. Its more than can be said of the rest of these /tg/ faggots seething over imagined culture wars and badwrongfun. Instead of shitposting, you made a good-faith effort to contribute. You're a downright hero.

I'm incorporating your suggestions for Sprawl of Cthulhu, specifically bits of Tick Tock Man and the "friend whose name nobody can remember". The main bad guy is a cyberpsycho who basically Tick Tock Man'd his own body by constantly upgrading it with cybernetics and who uses Soul Killer-like tech to copy the minds of his murder victims, putting those digital ghosts in virtual hells designed to twist them to Nyarlathotep worship. Once they've been radicalized, he installs their memories and psychotic personalities into his own warped mind, becoming increasingly crazy, like a cyber Legion of sorts.
>>
>>82316883
>The main bad guy is a cyberpsycho who basically Tick Tock Man'd his own body by constantly upgrading it with cybernetics and who uses Soul Killer-like tech to copy the minds of his murder victims, putting those digital ghosts in virtual hells designed to twist them to Nyarlathotep worship. Once they've been radicalized, he installs their memories and psychotic personalities into his own warped mind, becoming increasingly crazy, like a cyber Legion of sorts.
What the fuck anon
>>
File: average hacker.jpg (94 KB, 1200x859)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>82316898
See, I wanted the big reveal to be that the cyberpsycho they're chasing is actually the childhood friend they don't remember. So i worked backwards from there, came up with the Soul Killer-like tech, and the cyberpsycho's most recent mind installation was the friend, who all the PCs watched die at the hands of the same psycho back in their childhoods. After he killed/Soul Killed the friend, he radicalized the friend's digital ghost and has since uploaded them to his retarded hive mind. The friend's personality is the one who calls the PCs to "come home", back to their old slum building, partially to incorporate them as well, but also in the secret hope that they'll put down the cyberpsycho once and for all.
>>
>>82316883
>>82316924
This is one of the most horrifying plots I've seen in this thread. Good lord.
>>
File: trump true form.jpg (2.53 MB, 2400x3000)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
>>82316931
As a sort of Tick Tock Man, the cyber Legion has a drop of Nyarl's essence inside of him, giving him supernatural abilities, but he longs to rejoin the main body of Nyarly. He believes that if he incorporates 999 minds fanatically dedicated to Nyarlathotep (one for each of Nyarl's forms), he will be able to rejoin the main essence of Nyarly, effectively summoning main Nyarly to reality to both rejoin him and trash this reality in the process.
>>
>>82316960
Is he right? Or is he just deluded and nothing will come of it beyond y'know, torturing 999 souls into insanity?
>>
>>82317059
There's only one way to find out...
>>
>>82316790
What does Slenderman even do now? I haven't kept up with him for well over a decade now.
>>
>>82317190
The economy hasn't been kind to him, so now he works part-time at a Dairy Queen. His manager has been giving him a lot of shit lately, he's looking for another gig.
>>
Back after several months, where do you all get your dg now that the trove is dead?
>>
>>82318716
>Trove dead
>Share thread repository is dead
I wish I had any other clues, but I'm fucking all out.
>>
>>82316700
Idk he has a cool idea, it's just that gates of silver key exists.
And to be fair to him it gets the most fan-fictioney about his stories and yog-sothoth is one of the most poorly defined of lovecraft's gods next to shub-niggurath who's fertility god status came later.

I don't think azathoth anon came here to sow shit guys.
>>
>>82319838
>I don't think azathoth anon came here to sow shit guys.
Because it's not him. The actual Azathoth anon is chill and posted here >>82316403; the guy who sperged out is someone else, most likely Detwillerfag again.
>>
>>82315810
Is this Mothership system good? I checked their kickstarter page and at first glance it looks simple.
>>
>>82317190
He pops in every once in a while, and complains about the other eldritch horrors and how "back in HIS day", they did anything they wanted and didn't need any fancy rituals.
>>
File: Wicked town.jpg (223 KB, 1023x462)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>82319991
Prior version is alright. It's ease of use (Charsheet is a flowchart and you can make a character without a GM's help) and OSR homebrew nature is what has inspired a lot of its love.
RAW the beta version is swingy and has a few things that are hard to tell (Npc rules are buried in the Mercenaries rules) but the new version is likely to change much of that.
I did have a "fuck around have fun" game where I and two other guys just ran through them being two guys stranded on Prospero's dream from "A Pound of Flesh", which was neat.

https://tuesdayknightgames.itch.io/mothership-players-survival-guide
The beta version is completely free to check out.
It is worth checking out and buying some modules if you end up liking it. My finger is still holding on whether or not I should indulge in the kickstarter rn.
>>
>>82320047
>It is worth checking out and buying some modules
Which modules?
>>
>>82320090
A Pound of Flesh is the best I have read.
Dead Planet is a planet crawl and worth buying for the editable "Derelict ship" table alone. (they will send you fillable tables if you ask and show you bought it)

I haven't read the megadungeon (Gradient descent), but the two pamphlet adventures are decent and reflective for their pricetag. Hideo's World is possibly the most trite, it's effectively a sort of tribute to vaporwave/shitty early video game/mmo aesthetics. It's not scary, more of meant to be a fun little detour.
>>
>>82310475
>>
>>82320211
He would be fun
>>
Kino horror scene. Very existential. Kept coming to my mind when I read Ligottifag's Absence posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46R03LQEAx4&ab_channel=PaolodeRossi
>>
>>82320496
Yup. Possibly the bleakest ending to any contemporary horror movie.

The Beyond is such an odd film, but it's one of Fulchi's best along with City of the Living Dead. That film also features the Book of Eibon in a rather interesting role. I've used pics from it a few times. Unseen knowledge creates blindness in the readers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4lYDeX1LU
Reminds me of a similar scene from suspiria but I like this one better.

Fulchi was bleaker than Argento and several others ever were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2FjG6mf_Y

The ending to City of the living dead is also kind of a mindfuck and also refuses to offer any kind of assurance.
That one had another ending with the words "The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death, you dweller of the twilight void come Dunwich"
>>
>>82320617
>>82320496
Oh that's not even MENTIONING the ending to House by the Cemetery which seems like a fairytail ending until you think about it for a minute and realize where the kid is going.

>ending to any contemporary horror movie.
I meant popular horror film. There's some art-horror stuff that probably comes close. Contemporary wasn't the right word...

I wish we could do a watch of one of Fulchi's films at this point. He's not quite outstripped Argento in death yet. Fulchi's catalog had some ups and downs but his influence has lived on.

You can see his influence in certain select scenes in Del Toro's works such as the bottle stabbing scene from Pan's Labyrinth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqvaqvw0Gs
>>
>>82320170
>>82320047
Is it true the Deluxe edition of the KS comes with all their old modules? or just SOME of the old modules?
>>
>>82316683
One throw away term on the face of which doesn't add much to the depth of the narrative, in one paragraph, in one story.
Oh this totally means I've never read that story apparently because I didn't immediately identify this was your substitute term for Yog Sothoth used for sole purpose of trying to masturbate your Lovecraft knowledge to other anons.
Not only are you an autistic power level fag you are actively cancerous to Lovecraft discussions on /hsg/
>>
>he's still here
Do you just spend your every waking moment patrolling this thread to get mad about random shit, Detwillerfag?

>you are actively cancerous to Lovecraft discussions on /hsg/
Pot meet fucking kettle. Not a day goes by where I wish the DG writers would finally do something that would offend you so badly that you kill yourself.
>>
File: 1605383465951.jpg (158 KB, 1600x900)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Don't reply. It's a waste of time and energy, and he'll just dodge around any accusation you make at him. Keep talking about stuff you enjoy and ignore him.

On topic; what is the most bleak piece of horror fiction that you know about?
>>
>>82318716
Some of the individual pdf's are available here and there. Though I miss the trove.
>>
>>82321000
>he's still here
I came back and here you are too poised and glued to this thread just in case I post which would then necessitate that you MUST respond.
>Detwillerfag?
Already explained to you, I'm not a fan of him I think he over estimates himself and is somewhat of narcissist. I think Tynes has talent and I think Detwiller coat tail rode on it. Having said that however I do like Detwiller's art.
> I wish the DG writers would finally do something that would offend you
And I wish they'd actually do something instead of just one shots and narrative. Impossible Landscapes okay yeah that's one (again Detwiller) but 50% of that was a copy paste from a one shot that goes nowhere.
>>
File: zombie_2_1978[1].jpg (18 KB, 584x175)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>82320617
>>82320685
Out of the fifty kabillion different zombies filmes I've watched since I was a kid, Fulci's (along with those from the 1990 remake of NotLD) were the only ones that genuinely cripped me out. I think it's because they look the closest to real-life cadavers. It truly does look like a bunch of lifeless, rotten pieces of meat are being puppetered by an invisible malevolent force.
>>
>>82321202
Fulci's zombies are some of the very best and really should get talked about more.
>>
>>82321000
>>82321029
It's mildly funny that he's trying to falsify neutrality whenever he gets called out. Also more than a bit gross that he's pretending to know anything about Impossible Landscapes or Night Floors.

>On topic; what is the most bleak piece of horror fiction that you know about?
Maeltopia.
>>
>>82321164
I'm with you, I have no idea how Dennis got so popular here. His game design's poor and he acts like a cunt IRL.
>>
>>82299588
>What are your thoughts on Nyarlathotep and the other Outer Gods?
I think they're cool. The Outer Gods/Archetypes are a nice way to do an eldritch pantheon.

>Favorite evil pantheons in horror?
The Old Gods from Fear and Hunger are pretty neat.
>>
>>82316751
Nobody thinks that "problems" don't start until a very select few frequent posters start literally seething and chomping and snarling and bitching over said opinions and posts. 99.99% of this board not only doesn't care about your crusade against alleged trolls it also thinks you're acting autistic as s h i t about it. The self-importance and self-righteousness legit is straight out of reddit down to thinking you can downvote to hide peoples' posts. Your response to all these namefags and posters who say the most innocent of things that you throw a tantrum over is nothing short of embarrassing, more embarrassing than any actual shitposting could be. Grow up and get over it, get over yourself, and either accept what this website is or unironically go to a horror subreddit with people just like you. Stop making every single thread this scrotal shitshow of 180 posts whining about MUUUH BAD FAIIF TROOOOOOLLLLLZ.
>>
>>82320931
They oughta just rename this thread delta green and friends general. I swear 3/4 of posts are about dg and the other quarter are fawning over bleakness and hopelessness and liggoti. Talk about Stalker or RE or something. Liggoti and DG shouldn't be the thread totality.
>>
>>82321439
>>82321467
Don't you have school to go to? Shoo.
>>
>>82321467
>talk about RE
Great, let's talk about Chris getting raped by Wesker's big fat Uroboros tentacle. That sounds like a great topic for a thread.
>>
>>82321353
How is Maeltopia bleak compared to stuff like Lovecraft, Ligotti, Kingdom Death, Xas Irkalla and the like? Like, it's bad, I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there, but it's more of a 'Clive Barker meets Mad Max' situation limited to a single planet. About as bad as say... Nightbane (RPG made by the guys behind Rifts, with a very similar premise to Maeltopia).
>>
>>82321614
Let's go in order then:

>Lovecraft
Not bleak at all unless you factor in the Outer/Ultimate/Other Gods/Archetypes and learn that nothing is capable of change because time and change do not exist, and 99.999% of humanity will never learn this. YOU certainly won't learn this. You probably won't even come into contact with anything bizarre, with most people in Lovecraft living average lives unaware of any horrors.

The expanded stuff like DG changes this but the general setting assumption is that life goes on and you'll mostly never know anything is wrong unless you go searching for it.

>Ligotti
This depends entirely on which story you're talking about, since Ligotti has multiple though they share common elements. And the biggest and most common factor in Ligotti, that existence is a facet of an insane malevolent godhead that self-mutilated to torture itself and everything else forever holds true in Maeltopia as well. Except there are multiple and they're all competing to see which one gets to fuck us over first.

>Kingdom Death & Xas Irkalla
The only ones that are actually bleak in your post. Even then, they share the same setting assumption of Maeltopia that everything has become fundamentally wrong and there's no fixing it. I'd argue that Kingdom Death is technically more bleak, but it has the benefit of everyone and their baby being a godlike Ubermensch superhuman that can actually shit over many of the monsters.
>>
>>82321684
>The expanded stuff
Good thing about this is it's all contradictory and Lovecraft encouraged people to make up and interpret and modify whatever they wanted, especially for expanded material. You love Derleth? Great, have him. Hate him? Ignore him. There's dozens of Mythos writers to pick and choose from to make Lovecraft's setting as bleak or as hopeful as you want it to be, or just make it up for yourself. Want to incorporate real-world religion? Great, your investigators can combat Mythos horrors with faith and Divine aid and win the day. Want to make it all Azathoth's dream? Well, just hope he doesn't wake up. Lovecraft's "setting" is extremely loose and can be tailored to whatever your tastes are, so while I for example don't like nihilistic or bleak horror, I still love Lovecraft because his overall Mythos is whatever you make it to be.
>>
File: DzAThlBVAAEsb2N.jpg (99 KB, 1280x719)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>82321508
Honestly would be more intriguing to me than the 500th run of talking in circles about how amazing Ligotti is and how he's the horror master because uhhhhh he just is.
>>
File: 1578311236589.jpg (69 KB, 668x300)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>82321806
>>
>>82321806
Great rant. Wasn't what the post was about though.
>>
>>82321832
Being a fag is a sin. Meaning that you now have to flog yourself 1000 times and pray for redemption twice that amount under the tenets of your own religion, Detwillerfag.
>>
>>82321835
>>82321865
>rant
>pepeface
I was just responding partly in response to the earlier shitflinging contest over what is or isn't headcanon.
>>
>>82321911
Great. That wasn't what I was talking about.

If you're going to reply to me, at least have the courtesy respond to the actual discussion being had instead of dumb shitflinging (that you probably started) that is several hours old.
>>
>>82321835
Reminder that his goal is to make you unenthused and hateful towards discussion and the thread; He WANTS to make every topic into an excuse for shitposting and to get you mad so you don't post in the thread anymore. Don't let him get you down.
>>
Hi I'm mew, who's this Ligotti guy I've been hearing about?
>>
File: a2765057538_5.jpg (34 KB, 700x700)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>82322013
Wouldn't you like to know, Faliol?
>>
>>82321353
>It's mildly funny that he's trying to falsify neutrality whenever he gets called out.
One throwaway reference to a 'supreme archetype', in one paragraph, of one story. When I reasonably questioned as to whether this is your head canon or not you went from zero to pissy little shit in the short space of one single response. Stop playing victim and trying to pretend you aren't cancerous.
>>
>makes an angry seething response to somebody who isn't even addressing him
Yep, definitely Detwillerfag.
>>
>>82322075
Okay.
>>
>>82322091
Nobody is impressed by your ability to read one single reference in one single paragraph of one single story and memorize it because nobody believes you're a Lovecraft buff however desperate you may be to convince other anons of this, just say Yog Sothoth for clarity in future, k?
>>
File: (You).png (25 KB, 500x460)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>82322209
>>
File: 1630057936146.png (120 KB, 368x207)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>he's STILL replying and getting mad when nobody is addressing him
Holy kek.
>>
>>82321980
>>82322091
How was ANY of that angry or seething? Do you speak English? All I said was I like that Lovecraft's mythos is great for being loose and easily headcanonable.
>>
>>82322224
I'm not mad though, this is what makes for great entertainment.
>>
>>82322236
The post you were replying to (which was mine) had literally nothing to do with Lovecraft beyond explaining why it's not especially bleak. Using it as a springboard to revive a dead shitflinging argument has to be one of the most autistic things I've seen here.

Don't reply to me if you don't have the intention to actually engage with what was being discussed.
>>
File: 1550281370378.jpg (763 KB, 2078x2067)
763 KB
763 KB JPG
>I'm not mad
> just ignore the 100+ posts of me having a fucking meltdown because someone said something from Lovecraft wrong
>>
>>82322281
I'll post what I want, I was engaging in fun discussion. Shove it up your ass then.
>>82322307
>posts anime
oh dear
>>
>>82322352
>engaging in fun discussion
You mean thread-derailing bait. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>82322352
>posts anime
Anime website, has several anime boards, has whole ANIME ADS constantly present on the site, uses anime banners, etc.

Not only are you a baiting sperg Detwillerfag, you're also an unironic newfag too.
>>
File: 1603573303618.png (871 KB, 860x579)
871 KB
871 KB PNG
>>
>>82320496
Man I need to watch the Beyond sometime.
>>
>>82321029
>>82321684
Another good pick is probably R-Type.
>>
File: FE_qBQVXIAc7taP.jpg (295 KB, 1100x1100)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>Encounter between Frances and the solitary Piquol-sorcerer Dzörmnuol Czerurmnvöros Δ IV, in the peripheral industrial ruins of Ilstyr Fell
>>
>>82322549
If everyone jumped off a cliff would you do it? Two nukes weren't enough.
>>
>>82317069
Nyarly no
>>
File: mrs rinaldis angel.jpg (276 KB, 459x600)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
Absence-anon here!

The god-head hypothesis-thing is NOT what Ligotti's work is about. That is merely a framing mechanism I have used to try to put everything in its own mythos-adjacent THING for easily classification in game use as that in order to run it in a game it needs some level of limitation or classification it can't always be simply "aberrant blackness".
Ligotti's stories have their own individual messages even if they share a similar tone. Only a small handful are directly connected. We often seek connection between them due to the Lovecraft connection inherent in Ligotti's work.
>>
>>82322857
NYARLY YES!
>>
>>82323205
Pretty much this. The Red Tower is not Nethescurial is not Anima Mundi is not the Black Swine, even if they're all very similar.
>>
File: system-shock-2-artwork.jpg (568 KB, 1024x768)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
>>82316960
>>82316924
>>82316883
This is really cool and fucked up anon. This is more interesting than anything I had in mind.

Any idea of where the commercialism of a cyberpunk dystopia might come in? There's a lot of horror that can be done in that especially if you want to turn this into a campaign. Ghost in the Shell SAC has a great episode where they find a cyberbrain in a flea market and dive into it only to find a theater of people who never wanted to leave. Inside the theater is a man, the man's brain, the man who is showing the film he never got to make. The film is so beautiful that the people who entered it never want to leave...
>>
>>82323255
>>82316883
Another episode to look at from SAC for horror has to be Jungle Cruise. Someone is recording the emotions and feelings of people as he brutally kills them in ways reminiscent of specific war crimes.

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/ghost-in-the-shell/jungle-cruise

One of the best episodes of SAC. Period.
>>
>>82322307
You went on an autistic sperg out when someone questioned your head canon, so thinking of others being angry is rich coming from you.
>>
>>82323255
>Any idea of where the commercialism of a cyberpunk dystopia might come in?
Amoral megacorporations
>>
>>82323255
>>82323314
I've seen Ghost in the Shell get recom ended a couple times in horror threads for some reason. Not sure why, but I like it.
>>
File: 1608865807315.png (118 KB, 700x700)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>
>>82323220
NO!
>>
>>82322819
It was actually the nukes that started it. Anime was born from degeneracy and greed from the US occupation. Traditional Japanese society got erroded away to nowadays where we have pantie vending machines and dumb-as-fuck anime shit everywhere, and the legions of horny dudes consuming that trash in the West don't help. Had we just peaced out with Japan and left them a sovereign state, I doubt anime would ever have come to plague modern culture.
>>
>>82324748
What does this have to do with horror games?
>>
>>82324757
What does Ghost in the Shell have to do with horror games? >>82323314
>>82324209
>>82324324
>>
>>82324781
It's inspiration. Something you wouldn't know about since you don't play games.
>>
>>82324787
The only inspiration anime gives me is to make a bowel movement. There's a dedicated board for it if it's your thing.
>>
>>82324802
Detwillerfag what games do you run? Honest question, because you don't seem to do anything here beyond come into the thread to bitch or bring up off-topic politics, samefag or try to get Argent's attention by acting like a faggot. You literally do not contribute in any way beyond acting like a parasite.
>>
>>82316346
>>82316555
Are you the same guy who kept saying people shouldn't have been calling out Detwillerfag? And then (yet again, to nobody's surprise) it turns out that it really WAS Detwillerfag which makes all your attempts to try and downplay or dismiss the issue come off in a bad light, if not make it look like you're agreeing with him.

Honestly, just stop. People can make their own decisions and come to their own conclusions. At this point, any inflammatory or falseflag post we get is 99% going to be the same guy because he's the dedicated thread troll.
>>
File: 3jmangwzoci71.jpg (135 KB, 368x475)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>82324826
No-games is a pretty weak insult, not to mention how dumb it is conceptually to think hating anime means you've never played a game. Sounds exactly like what's been said to the people who aren't into Ligotti. Dislike this one horror writer? Well gosh, you must hate horror!

>>82324902
>people can make their own decisions and conclusions
>but anything i disagree with is inflammatory falseflagging
>>
>>82324757
>>82324787
Speaking of anime: Detwillerfag really reminds me of Jeremy. They act real similar and have topics that will endlessly trigger them if you even mention them as well as lurking one specific series of threads 24/7 just to ensure they can shit it up at a moment's notice.

I doubt they're the same guy, but it's scary how very similar two different shitposters on different boards act.
>>
>>82324965
>hastily edits /pol/ meme and slaps it onto the thread
>"that'll show 'em!"
>>
>>82324973
Have you considered that not everyone likes anime?
>>
>>82325026
>uses /pol/! as an argument
>"that'll show 'em!"
>>
>>82325028
Yeah, but nobody gets upset about it as you. You could just hide or ignore the posts but instead you post shit like >>82324748 ranting about "greed" and "moral degeneracy" which makes you look like a lunatic.

>>82325043
You wouldn't be called /pol/ if you stopped acting the part.
>>
File: 1607115381373.gif (152 KB, 489x544)
152 KB
152 KB GIF
>>82325028
Cry about it.
>>
>>82325062
>>82325089
>You could just hide or ignore the posts but instead you post shit
Holy irony Batman.
>You wouldn't be called /pol/ if you stopped acting the part.
You act like anyone cares if you call them /pol/ or not. I think /pol/'s full of retards, but I'm highly anti-SJW, anti-poz shit in general. If that makes me /pol/ I could care less.
>>
File: 1632785206441.gif (2.04 MB, 420x236)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB GIF
LIST OF THINGS THAT PISS OFF THE DETWILLERFAG
>Dennis Detwiller
>Ligotti
>David Lynch
>Delta Green
>"Bleakness"
>Argent
>Anime
>The Supreme Archetype

What else?
>>
>>82325138
What games do you play?
>>
>>82325165
>no answer
Guess that answers that.
>>
>>82325165
None right now, but it's not because I hate anime.
>>82325151
Personally only a few of those piss me off, the others I just generally dislike. Ligotti and Lynch don't annoy me, it's their fanboys who claim they're the greatest horror minds to ever live. Same with DG, it's just some game but the fanboys who act like it's the definitive horror tabletop game annoy me. Argent's fine? I don't like namefags in general but he's not done anything egregious. Anime should piss anyone off, it has no redeeming value or worth imo. Detwiller's a colossal faggot. Bleakness is subjective, once again it's fanboys who think all horror should be bleak and nihilistic that piss me off. The Supreme Archetype shit I don't even know what that fight was about.
>>
>>82325151
Add "Getting called out for his obnoxiously loud politics" to the list.
>>
>>82325327
It's 2021, there's no neutrality anymore. You're either on the side of people like Dennis who want to take and mutate gaming into their personal political circus, or you're not.
>>
File: file.png (74 KB, 769x791)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>82301324
for me, it's Hitler
>>
>>82325346
>immediately replies in order to defend his politics
Like pottery.

>>82325354
He was also Tesla IIRC
>>
File: file.png (149 KB, 400x400)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
Just realized Nyarlethotep likes roleplaying, in a roleplaying game.
>>
>>82325364
Yes. You'd defend them too if you were on my side, but you're on the other side, the side that wants games censored and tailored to (((current year))) sociopolitical agendas.
>>
Jungle Cruise has some genuinely horrifying moments, and the other episode is Tachikoma Runs Away; The Movie Director's Dream.
>>
>>82325383
He's a funny guy.
>>
File: 1608077989733.png (833 KB, 739x739)
833 KB
833 KB PNG
>>82325410
Take your meds.
>>
>>82323255
Sprawl of Cthulhu anon here. For the current adventure I'm working on, I'm not really examining cyberpunk's commercialism too much; the adventure I'm focusing on is more about urban blight and decay, on top of the usual Mythos themes. I plan on taking a look at things like the Candyman movies and Condemned video games for inspiration, since they tackle similar subjects.
>>
>>82325440
>Jungle Cruise has some genuinely horrifying moments
That's almost every Disney movie. You could easily adapt Tarzan into a Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign without changing much.
>>
File: Also.gif (968 KB, 500x270)
968 KB
968 KB GIF
>>82324209
It has some horror moments and allows for some pretty nasty implications. It's also one of the most fleshed out and grounded cyberpunk settings period. I really appreciate how little of SAC is "THIS THING IS SO COOOOOOOOOOOOL" instead SAC's overall tone for a lot of it is banal, very Deus-Ex in the way that everything hasn't changed nearly as much as we might think while also showing quite heavily how society has changed as a result. The show predicted Anonymous and inspired Anonymous a year or two before it happened.
10:30 in jungle cruise is one of the most horrifying moments in anime period and you don't even see it just due to the scream.

Also...
>>
File: file.png (90 KB, 600x538)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>82325440
>the bee/honey dude
>>
>>82325546
Argent what in the fuck are you- OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no I was referring to the Ghost in the Shell episode.
>>
>>82323255
>>82325510

Now, that being said, that doesn't mean you can't introduce a horror bent to commercialism. I think the easiest way to do that is to have amoral megacorps simply trying to monetize Mythos shit. Imagine a media corp filming and streaming The King In Yellow on demand (which of course will lead to a thriving pirate scene). Imagine some biotech company pushing the drug used in The Hounds Of Tindalos, that time-viewing drug which brought the scientist to the attention of the Hounds in the first place. Imagine something as silly as selling t-shirts of Cthulhu with quotes from the Necronomicon on them, but they still drive people crazy on sight, so anyone wearing them is a sanity threat, but they're the latest fashion these days because of vapid celebrities endorsing them, so they're still super popular.
>>
>>82325570
The very first result I got when I googled "Jungle Cruise" as a Disney movie. It was very strange but I just shrugged and accepted it since that tends to be a thing with kids movies.
>>
File: cruise.jpg (21 KB, 780x439)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>82325612
I had linked it here

>>82323314
It involves PTSD and a serial killer.
>>
File: ExXLjuxXAAQBwJy.jpg (333 KB, 800x1120)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>82325623
Ah, I didn't notice that. Good to know.

Apologies for any confusion.
>>
>>82325635
No, it's fine. It was pretty funny.
>>
File: file.png (678 KB, 1280x720)
678 KB
678 KB PNG
>>82325510
Have you checked out Hellpoint? It's sci fi dark souls. The gameplay is shit but the lore is pretty great. Basically megacorporations become so huge they basically become weird occult religions. Throw in some contact from elder beings and it's pretty kino lore.
>>
>>82324826
>Detwillerfag
Is the Detwillerfag in the room with us now anon?
>>
>>82325655
I like the fact that you can talk with the board of directors behind the occult ritual in that game and they're mostly affable. So long as you don't tell them that you "killed" a God that is.
>>
>>82325655
>megacorporations become so huge they basically become weird occult religions.
There's also Cruelty Squad if you want a more comical (and more eye-searing) take on that topic.
>>
>>82326320
Cruelty Squad is comical only until you get into the lore and realize just how fucked up everything is. It's definitely eye-searing though.
>>
>>82326320
>>82326451
I need to finish that series.
>>
>>82325510
I really advice that you check out the adventure Panacea from Sandy Peterson's abominations.
Theres a monster (more specifically the use of a existing monster) that you may quite like and can get some use out of.
>>
>>82302958
>>82312685
I adapted an old Interfac-e article n how to convert Cyberpunk 2020 to Call of Cthulhu, I just added some extras to bring it up to 7e.
>>82271857
>>82300421
>>82271924
>>82271949
>>
>>82327093
Nice.
>>
>>82327093
Nice was gonna send him to that.
>>
>>82327093
Can you put all your stuff in a mega folder so it's easier to share?
>>
File: 1631108086488.jpg (293 KB, 1200x1211)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
I haven't seen this level of autistic screeching since I (foolishly) clicked a link to spacebattles.
That aside, hope everyone had a good turkey day.

On the actual topic of horror. What are some of your favorite Parapsychology powers for a game? Either for the PCs, their contacts or antagonists. How strong and how reliable should the powers be? Now this might vary by power and not by system. Having precog being 95% accurate and at will is going to derail most games. Having a 95% two pound tk effect, that doesn't go any faster than a slow walk, probably won't. How tiring should these effects be, how often and how long can they be maintained?
Personally I've always found Psychometry, aka object reading, an interesting ability. While most everyday objects don't hold a 'charge' that can be read, some might build up over the year or become so during a traumatic event. Some might become so strong that they don't even need a psychic to manifest, see The Stone Tape.
>>
>>82327345
>I haven't seen this level of autistic screeching since I (foolishly) clicked a link to spacebattles.
We've all been there at least once. Still, my sympathies.

>On the actual topic of horror. What are some of your favorite Parapsychology powers for a game?
I think my favorites really come from Esoterrorists, maybe the Ghostbusters RPG. Some of the Reality Hacks in the former are REALLY damn good, but they come at the severe cost of Membrane stability as well as exposure to Esoterror. So it's a balancing act between how much you want to indulge in the techniques of the enemy and risk bringing their victory ever closer.

>How strong and how reliable should the powers be?
It really should vary. I mentioned Reality Hacks, which can do all kinds of truly obscene things, but their big limitation is the fact that they damage reality and could expose you to the thoughts and influences of ODEs. Which isn't a remotely desirable thing, so you really need to be careful with them.
>>
>>82327399
Can someone share a PDF of the different parts of the ghostbusters RPG? It's really cool but hard to find now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1qRscd1w8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzA2Xu635pQ
This guy is pretty decent. I wish he did more.
Half his channel is shitposts but I really like the music stuff. I wish he had a bandcamp or something. Listened to the first playlist while doing some of the recent stuff. It keeps relatively close to the original themes while also adding in samples. I'm fine with that.

Small update, pushing stuff again. Might post some stuff tonight if writing goes anywhere.
Thanks to my editor for not giving up after I didn't send them anything for a month.

LIFE REASONS: Been relatively depressed recently and had lost some interest in the project. Having trouble getting meds and the meds that help me focus I've only got maybe 20 left of. Might play with some new ideas to keep things moving.
Editor isn't a fan of this, but I think keeping the motives of The Shape vague or up to decisions by the GM between a list of different hypotheses keeps the mystery without just distilling it to "It does this because X" which is easy and can be scary but... sort of misses the point of The Shape.

It would be fun if even if you've read the module, you don't know where it's going ala Ravenloft. That might be a tad too ambitious for where the project
Loose idea, but what if one of the endings (only feasible via a one shot) is it really is just a guy who was wearing the mask or using it as a means to kill one of the characters?
There's already a lot but having a red herring option might be useful.

I've got some other ideas I want to play with, like multiple hypotheses for motives, sort of humans trying to understand The Shape and wrap their own perspectives on this, and a GM can decide which ever one they feel is the most fitting.
We know what The Shape does, it's like a machine, and there may be some answer, but part of what makes Myers scary in the original film is there never is a concrete motive. All of that was invented in the later films.
>>
>>82325655
Hellpoint is unironically kino.
>>
>>82328143
HellSIGN is unrelated but sucks ass and is a inflated russian mobile game, don't buy it.
>>
File: hellpoint.png (528 KB, 730x1198)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
>>82325655
Hellpoint is pretty good for an indie game. It's like Bloodborne mixed with Event Horizon. I would consider it a good addition to the obscure "Gothic sci-fi" subgenre which includes the likes of 40k, Event Horizon, Alien and Dark City.
>>
File: knocker.jpg (136 KB, 600x881)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>
>>82315064
>I did see a Unisystem/AFMBE hack for Stalker years ago, but I don't know if it's still around. I remember finding it on a share thread maybe 5 or 6 six years back. Unisystem is criminally underrated and makes for great action-survival horror.
Sort of off-topic, but what makes Unisystem good for this? I have a friend who wants to get us all into AFMBE, but I can't shake that early 2000s jankiness from it. Sell it to me.
>>
Watched Southbound yesterday, quite loved it, especially the Accident episode. The story about girls was the weakest.
Watched some reviews online, was surprised to see how everyone wanted more clear explanations. Most baffling take I saw was "in my opinion, Horror should have clear rules", which felt really odd to me, since if something has clearly defined rules, then you can extrapolate and therefore predict. And being predictable doesn't feel like a good trait to me. Maybe I am warping the narrative here, I dunno.
Anyway, quite enjoyed the movie and tonal shifts kept it fresh for me.
>>
>>82327093
This is helpful, thanks dude!
>>
>>82329184
Not him but:
It's pretty similar to old WoD in some ways, but with a mildly bell curved single die roll at core. Degrees of success/failure built in, too.
Consumables tend to be very granular. The average person has about 26 Life Points which allows for small injuries that mount up. By the same token, damage is multiplicative. A 9mm handgun to the torso does d6 times 4 (not 4d6) and doubled after armour. This allows for being winged, but also getting bodied. People tend towards a realistic-seeming level of fragility. Endurance and Essence (magic potency or just mental health depending on the setting) work similarly. Has good fear rules too.
Takes a lot of notes from GURPS in terms of design but a very light take on the idea. Characters can be built in minutes.
Good splat books, and the various games do actually gel quite well so you can use magic from one with guns from another if you want.
Zombie design in AFMBE allows for pretty cool monster making of all kinds.
>>
>>82328031
Hope things get better for you, Shape-anon

>>82328180
Didn't the devs literally abandon that one?
>>
>>82329184
Lethal but not too lethal, one of the best mixes of crunch and fluff out there, and the aesthetic is phenomenal. It's not super old either, AFMBE revised was 2006 I think. It's far less janky than you might think. If you use it for Stalker I'd recommend checking out Armageddon too. It's by the same group sith the same system and had tons of non-zombie monsters.
>>
>>82328143
Hellpoint is what I want out of a semi-open cosmic horror game.
>>
File: 68f5df3e6ff5819.png (46 KB, 1000x1000)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>
File: index.jpg (334 KB, 900x675)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>82324324
The CEO in Yellow/Black
>>
File: 1590658034725.jpg (168 KB, 1115x743)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks8dI2jEORo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pHrS8ozxBk
Delta Green handlers: where do you draw your inspiration from? Police procedurals? /x/ greentexts? Combat footage? Obviously, everyone's drawing inspiration from the Cthulhu mythos, and probably the KiY mythos now too, but that's a boring answer
>>
>>82330038
>>82331708
Hm, okay, I'll give it a shot. Always down for a good zombie game, but usually I revert to COC because of its own granularity and high lethality.
>>
>>82330534
Yes they did abandon it.
>>
Has anyone run an analog horror inspired campaign? Its one of the few horror phenomenon that actually scares me, so I was thinking it could be fun to embrace. Though I'm not too sure how, since its mostly distortions and such
>>
>>82334979
Never heard of a coherent explanation of it, and can't think of a way to bring it to table. Much like the liminal spaces meme which just doesn't fly at the table.
>>
>>82335320
I think the gist of analog horror is just
>Ordinary aspect of daily life
>Large amount of trust and authority are placed in this aspect
>The object becomes subverted by an unknown force.
You can't do this in the medium with le spooky CNN newshour, but I can see other ways. Especially if you're a good actor
>Play DG
>Players consistently work with a handler
>Handler is reliable, gives good advice
>After maybe 4 months of continuous play on different missions, players go to get new assignment from Handler
>Partway through conversation add a couple unexpected beat pauses
>Stare at one player while speaking to others
>Suddenly snap back and behave totally normally
>During assignment when players contact handler, have him behave totally erratically, even better if you can get players to go along with it
>>
>>82335651
I would be amazed if you could get players to notice it happening and not put a bag over the guy's head immediately. Players love being genre savvy and possible possession is a huge glowing Fuck Me Up sign to them.
>>
>>82334979
>>82335651
Analog horror doesn't have to be a news station or VHS tapes or whatever, at least not entirely. Mandela Catalogue, Harmony & Horror and Monument all defy this mold and have settings that are developed just enough that you could run a game in them. Freedom alone could constitute the villain of an entire campaign.
>>
>>82333362
A lot of it for me is coming up with a singular idea or moment and then building a scenario or event around it.
Some of it is genuinely trying to think about how X entity from the past or the mythos would fit into the modern day.

My game is coming up on the pandemic, and it is going to make things so much worse.
>>
>>82315064
>I did see a Unisystem/AFMBE hack for Stalker years ago, but I don't know if it's still around. I remember finding it on a share thread maybe 5 or 6 six years back. Unisystem is criminally underrated and makes for great action-survival horror.
It's locked in some guy's Google Drive. I sent him a request for it and a message saying I would rehost if he he wanted.
>>
>>82336088
Also here's all the cinematic unisystem rules in one pdf
>>
>>82334979
Is that like the "Suddenly the news anchor started bleeding from his eyes then it stopped" stuff? If so, I guess it can be kinda creepy if done really, really well, but it comes off as creepypasta-tier hyper realistic Shrek bled to me at first glance.
>>
>>82335651
That's a pretty cool idea. I would want to definitely do it more than just "ah scary news", more like corrupting things that they thought were reliable in interesting ways I guess
>>
>>82336102
Oh, this is cool.
>>
>>82336188
>Is that like the "Suddenly the news anchor started bleeding from his eyes then it stopped" stuff?
That's another thing entirely
>>
>>82334979
Probably going through old technology. I wouldn't leave it at just tapes, but also stuff like old film reels, laserdisc, betamax, anything that would be difficult to get working.
>>
>>82334345
What a bunch of dicks
>>
>>
>>82337905
Thanks, Cthulhu.
>>
File: 1607017000997.png (38 KB, 1648x1648)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>
>>82338093
He hopes you are having a good day, and if you're not, he thinks that things can always get better.
>>
>>82338658
Wholesome.
>>
>>
File: Hibernating flyer.jpg (82 KB, 550x519)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>
>>82299718
>that VN
The most unforgettable horror porn game I've ever played. No other game had a bunch of elementary schoolers gangbang a teenage girl against a wall. And the teenage girl loved it. No other game I've played had a 17 year old bishonen guy drink a 14 year old girl's piss and chase her down the hall to rape her, only to wind up getting anally raped by a 32 year old fat man. I still remember the scene where a 16-17 girl was hiding under a bed as her same age best friend was having sex with that same 32 year old fat guy on top. She heard every moan, bed shake and sound. In the wrong end she was discovered under the bed by her friend and made to join. A most terrifying scene was when an unwilling girl relives another girl's sex memories. The girl in the memory consented but the reliving girl didn't. It didn't matter that she was mentally screaming, her body in the memory did all the motions and actions as in history. It's like mind control rape except the victim was fully aware. Another scene the same girl and a friend were almost raped in a magic sex ritual, saved by the girl's older sister, and the backlash made the older sister want to rape her younger sister and friend.

That loli in your pic is freakishly lewd and once disguised herself as a teenage girl, fucked a boy until he nearly came, transformed back saying
>You thought you were having sex with a highschooler weren't you? I'm an elementary schooler all along!
And leglocks that boy, forcing him to cum inside her unprotected, when he screams in fear upon learning this. This isn't even getting into the tentacles, the gay sex, the lesbian sex, the incest, the sequel's mother/daughter lesbian scene, etc. The first chapter alone contains lots of lesbian sex scenes with an unavoidable girl masturbating in the bathroom. Truly horror is intrinsically connected with sexuality.
>>
>>82339854
This is a copypasta
>>
>>82336088
This one?
>>
>>82340683
>>82336088
>>82315064
>>82313399
Sorry, that's the old version. See attached.
>>
>>82339900
And a very stale one at that.
>>
>>82341074
The most annoying thing is that he has to post his own set-up, it's not even germane to the conversation.
>>
>>82341112
He's a shitposter, so nothing he does is for the benefit of the thread.
>>
File: DyYmzWxUwAAX8-i.jpg (1.25 MB, 1820x2048)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>
New thread. Migrate over when ready:
>>82341559
>>82341559
>>82341559

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.