[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Does the player in your group who provides the venue also provide the groups games?
>If someone else in the group has a game you enjoy, how likely are you to buy your own copy?
>Does your group plan which games to play ahead of time, or decide what to play after people show up?
>>
>>82284792
Yes; not very; when ppl show up

Btw I'm 50 lmao
>>
Convince me to not buy Roll and Writes, I'm curious about them but the price seem too high for what is basically some dice (or a deck) and a paper pad.
>>
>>82285733
>Convince me to not buy Roll and Writes,
Name ONE (1) you couldn't pirate as a PnP.
>>
>>82285788
The same reason I don't play diy my games with beans, coins and bottlecaps as components.
>>
>>82285965
OK guy. You want to have it, see that it's not worth paying money for, but also don't want to get it without paying money for it. Compromise somewhere.
>>
>>82285965
Yeah,,,, I’m not falling for stealth bsn
>>
>>82284792
The weapons and worthless cards are missing names. That matters when you have two of the same and two other players each know one of them is in your hand.
Less significantly: there should be two cheap heroes and one cheap heroine, not the other way a round.
I am also not a fan of Hajr, Ghola, Weather Control, and Family Atomics having rules written on the other cards do not.
>>
>>82284792
how good is dune, really? I've been wanting to try it.
>>
>>82285733
Just buy one. You're not just paying for components, you're also paying for the game design and development. Otherwise you'd be taking the time to design and develop your own roll and write instead of asking to be dissuaded on an anonymous indian mandala weaving forum.
>>
>>82287528
It's overrated but not by much.
>>
>>82287528
If your group can stomach the components in the OP then try it. You'll also need
https://i.4cdn.org/tg/1637298170794.pdf rule book
https://i.4cdn.org/tg/1637298295120.pdf card effects
>>
>>82284792
>Does the player in your group who provides the venue also provide the groups games?
Yes, me. Which I take is the case for most of the /bgg/ anons as for some fucked up reson it seems rare that collections are distributed equally
>If someone else in the group has a game you enjoy, how likely are you to buy your own copy?
Very, very unlikely
>Does your group plan which games to play ahead of time, or decide what to play after people show up?
We've tried to decide beforehand but that didn't really work, rough preferences might not change quickly, but mood does and we mostly just had a small talk when everyone was here, overruling the voting we did beforehand. Though If it's something that will take a higher amount of commited time like TI, we do seek out a specific date where everyone has time which nowadays just means "never"
>>
>>82284792
Not necessarily, but we usually play at least one of the games at whoever is currently hosting.
Certainly not implausible.
The latter.

>82278614
TM is one of the very few exceptions I make, lately I've been going through older games that are usually both more focused and interactive.
Besides, I would argue that games like Arnak, Pragna, Caverna, Bonfire, Alma Mater, GWT, Orléans, Trajan, [...] are the ones that feel more like work because I'd need a spreadsheet to break down the profit margins of eating from one half of the point salad over the other, TM is I would argue a lot more intuitive in this regard.
>>
Late pledge endless winter or just buy dune imperium?
>>
Played Colonial Twilight a couple of times with my friend and we concluded that we have no idea how to win as the FLN player. It seems that the FLN are resource starved throughout the whole game. If you don't have bases then you're not getting any resources in the Prop round, meaning there's no way you can get more bases. Then, an FLN base is worth 1 VP but the French player can easily take them out and get +1 Commitment, so a net gain of 2 VP and also 2 resources each prop round. As the FLN you're pretty much forced to keep very large amounts of underground Cells by your bases - if you ever move away you're giving free points to the French. Meanwhile they can easily get Support in the cities (7 VP) and leave only 3 cubes per space to basically lock those points down.

I checked the forum on BGG and lo and behold what do I read?
> FLN is overpowered
> Govt has no way to win
> Govt is always starved of resources
> Tip to FLN: don't bunch up!
> Don't build bases in the early game, that mobilization card is gonna get ya :^)

I don't know what fucking bizarro world these people live in. Maybe my friend and I are just dumbasses though. Anybody here got some hot strategy tips? Maybe just never waste resources on building Opposition before the last campaign starts? How do you force the French to spend their resources then?
>>
>>82287528
It's pretty fun, just got it recently and had no problems playing it out of the box in a group of five.
Not as complex and hard to get into as I expected after seeing a few reviews.
There's a lot of room for making deals and contracts on almost anything, so if that's something you like I think you'll enjoy the game a lot.
>>
What does Thunderspeaker’s cock taste like?
>>
>buy 1v1 board game on a whim
>realize no one will ever want to play it because board games are for meeting with multiple people together and drinking beer
fuck me and my nice cardboard
>>
>>82289517
Ask your mom
>>
>>82287541
>Cartographers
>Welcome to
>Super-Skill Pinball 4 Cade
>Sonora
>Ganz Schön Clever
>Fleet: The Dice Game
>Hadrian's Wall
Don't know which one to pick, I assume the lighter/thematic ones work best as filler/family games and the heavier are more of a solo experience, since I don't play solo I guess Fleet and Hadrian's Wall are automatically out.
>>
>>82290590
Get the pinball one
>>
>>82285733
Depends on your likes.

>Do you like solitaire games with very little player interaction?
>Do you find yourself looking for games with 5, 6, 7, or 23 players?

If you're not sure about it, make an account on boardgamearena and try out Railroad Ink and Welcome To... for free.
>>
>>82288521
FLN can extort for money which is usually enough, also the police cant attack on half the map and can only exterminate (or w/e its called, been a while) with troops which are very limited in number and movememt

Bgg has a strategy guide, read that and the rules carefully. The FLN is stronger as the game goes on, thats why the bot is only for the short/late campaign
>>
>>82284792
Sometimes, we all have some games so it depends on what we want to play.
Again, sometimes, it depends on how pricey the game is. Sometimes we'll buy a group game but that's rare as sometimes people leave the area (moving house or job) and "forget" to return the game or allow someone else to buy their stake, as it were.
Usually we plan ahead, but when people don't show we make backup plans.
>>
File: file.png (1.69 MB, 1594x611)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
Finaly making a tabletop ready version of my game

unfortunetly for monetary reasons i could not do the boards out of FELT like i wanted. might upgrade it in a later date.
All that is missing is buying the plastic pieces and printing the tiles on photo paper so its thick like cardstock
>>
>>82290590
I've played Fleet:The Dice Game, and I liked it well enough that I pre-ordered Three Sisters. It is a competitive dice game but the interaction is indirect as it is done through the picking of the dice. I recommend checking out a How to Play video to see if you might like it.
>>
>>82290734

I have the Pinball game but got bored of it quick. It seems like it's designed to be mostly a single player game?
>>
>>82292623
Dang, sounds fun
>>
File: IMG_20211123_124035_894.jpg (1.24 MB, 2560x1920)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>82292102
i'd recommend getting a 3d printer to help with the rapid prototyping of pieces. i finally finished my tile designs too
>>
>>82285733
only R&Rs worth buying are the ones that either come with dry erase boards or a deck of cards too thick to easily be printed
so far I've bought Cartographers, Silver & Gold, Metro X, Sonora, Railroad Ink Yellow, and Steamrollers
Hadrian's Wall is the only other one I'd consider buying if it were reasonably priced but it's the most expensive R&R I've seen
>>
File: file.png (96 KB, 396x356)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>82292735
i been prototyping the game for about 2 years on TTS now. i wanted to have a phisical version to see how it handles phisicaly since the main mechanic of stacking cubes is diferent in person than online
ill not be adding anything from now just removing excess stuff
also i was thinking about getting on to print the dice but 3d printed dice is shit from what i was told, did you ever 3d print dice?
>>
File: EWPsaTjWoAIzlgK.jpg (164 KB, 900x1200)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>82292772
if you want to see those fine details, use a resin 3d printer. works out very well
>>
>>82292757
>Sonora
I'm tempted to try it because I've never played a R&R nor a Flicking game; is it good?
Cartographers seem cool to lure my artsy friends and it seems to have at least some interaction.
>>
>>82284792
>>Does the player in your group who provides the venue also provide the groups games?

Nope, I usually provide the games and we game a friend's place with plenty of table space.

>>If someone else in the group has a game you enjoy, how likely are you to buy your own copy?

Hard to say since I provide 95% to 98% of all the games we play in my primary group. I do try various games at conventions or online and then pick up what I like for my collection.

>>Does your group plan which games to play ahead of time, or decide what to play after people show up?

Since I provide the vast majority of the games, I try to know how many players to plan for, but it often doesn't work since some of the folks aren't very good a planning / communications and showing up when they say they will. I.e. I plan for 5 players and end up with 8, or I plan on 6 players and end up with 4.
>>
>>82292872
> 3D printing dice...

I'd be interested in how long before the edges / points start to chip / wear down. And I can't say I'm a fan of dice with hard to read type faces. That said, making reliable 3D custom dice is still a cool idea.
>>
>>82293342
>how long before the edges / points start to chip / wear down
When that happens, just print some more. Or you could make some latex molds from the 3d printed dice and cast a few playsets from tougher resin.

>And I can't say I'm a fan of dice with hard to read type faces
Paint them.

To my mind the big issue with 3d printed dice is their internal density is probably uneven. This means they will roll skewed.
>>
>>82292872
I always hear that resin has become really expensive and isn't really worth using it on diy stuff anymore because of that. Another lie spread by big component or somewhat true?
>>
>>82293672
resin printer
>smaller size
>need to replace mono screen every 2000 hrs use
>resin are usually 30$ per 1kg
>needs to be washed in 90% alcohol and UV cured
>a good printer is around 230$
if compared to FDM 3d printer, its slightly more expensive but not by much. usually just the upfront cost, but the detail is is leagues better.
the larger resin printers do go for 600 - 2000$. but the smaller ones are just as good on detail resolution and fine if all you want is to printer 32mm miniatures
>>
Do you think board games from the last decade already possess aged mechanics?
>>
>>82293885
yeah having to actualy play the thing instead of like just experiencing a story is so gamey and antiquated and stuff
>>
>>82292102
are those pieces just cardboard? I've always heard it's best to get chip board for the base and sticker paper to print over it

also, post your elevator pitch for your game
>>
>>82293885
can you even name mechanics that only appeared for the first time in 2010-2020?
>>
File: New graphics.png (971 KB, 788x933)
971 KB
971 KB PNG
>>82293910
i print on a a4 page then i glue it to old tonner boxes i have and cut it into shape, its cheaper that way
the corners get a little sharp but it "feels" good to use it instead of just papper

>post your elevator pitch for your game
Its a PVP tile placement game where you must build a giant robot using tiles like galaxy trucker [/spoiler] and fight to the death against other players creations like in battletech, , tearing each other piece by piece and limb by limb until there is only left
>>
>>82293902
>>82293947
Sorry for phrasing it like a troll question, I didn't actually mean that and I admit I'm ignorant
It's just that I am told board games evolve a lot faster nowadays and that games that used to be GOTY mainstays are being phased out after years of recommendation.
I already know for example that something like Catan is objectively shit now.
>>
>>82290734
You can get two Super Skill Pinball tables for free on BGG if you want to try it. I like it but it's basically multiplayer solitaire
>>
>>82294013
deck building was already fucking old and anoying when it was invented in 2008 so that is a good exemple
>>
>>82294016
I only have my tablet, unfortunately
>>
>>82294013
>narrative books used as unique tiles per page
i don't know if its a mechanic but it really helps push narrative games, loved its use in Gloomhaven Jaws of the lion
>app assisted hybrid games
these games are amazing in pushing less upkeep and removing the DM in a all vs 1. Mansion of madness 2nd edition and U-Boot are great examples
>>
>>82285965
Might I interest you in the deluxe edition of rock, paper, scissors?
>>
>>82294013
>It's just that I am told board games evolve a lot faster nowadays and that games that used to be GOTY mainstays are being phased out after years of recommendation.
Dune has been a hot game for decades, the reprint succeeded because years of beingvOOP raised it to a near mythical status. Then it turns out the game still lives up to its ideal.
Lots of Knizia games from the 90s/2000s are still some of the best in their class. Hansa Teutonica is a more modern classic. Splotters Bus, one of the first worker placement games from the late 90s, is still a very nasty and delightful game. Race for the Galaxy is still one of the best tableau builder games. And we haven't even left euros and touched ameritrash.
As much as there are older popular games that are easy targets for your discussion, I find there are as many that stand the test of time.
>>
I think Last Night On Earth is the best horror survival game out
>>
>>82294231
Spirit Island
>>
>>82293885
Absolutely, but they can get tweaked, and even combined like Corrosion.
>>
What popular themes are you don't care about or you dislike?
For me, I really don't care about vikings, american politics/history (geography, nature and myths are fine) star wars and marvel.

>>82294154
No need to go to the extremes. I'm not terribly appealed by miniatures; cardboard tiles and cards with good artwork/design, wooden meeples and rough plastic minis/chips are enough for me.
>>
>>82294252
Sucks
>>
>>82289948
Get your game group to grow. On the nights where we have say, 6 people show up, I've split off with one other bloke to play War of the Ring. The rest played a 4 player game. When we both finished, we played a couple of party games to palate cleanse. It worked surprisingly well.
>>
>>82294283
>What popular themes are you don't care about or you dislike?
lovecraft and zombies got spammed so hard in boardgames that its an active turn off. otherwise, active ips are not a draw on my attention.
mini quality or count have never been selling points either. game has them, ok neat but how is the gameplay. for games with alternatives, like vast mysterious manor which comes with both minis and cardboard standees/tokens, i never use the plastic components. i dont get why you would eschew the stuff that features the art when that aesthetic is part of the games attraction.
>>
>>82289948
this is where you decide to marry someone just so you can play 1v1 on a consistent schedule. getting to play Mage wars was worth the trouble
>>
>>82294344
>On the nights where we have say, 6 people show up, I've split off with one other bloke to play War of the Ring. The rest played a 4 player game.
Based
>When we both finished, we played a couple of party games to palate cleanse. It worked surprisingly well
My nigger from another mister
>>
>>82294408
I married someone who only likes playing games as a group, it turns out. There's a dusty box on a shelf above that no one touched since the era of quarantines because we only meet with our board game clique every so often, and there's no interest in board gaming outside of that, apparently.
I've asked multiple times. "Maybe later." So, never.
>>
>>82289948
I'm on a similar boat, gf doesn't really likes board games but agrees to play 2-player games from time to time just to be nice to me. My family won't play because they can't wrap their heads around the idea that board games aren't just for children, they rather watch tv 32 hours per day and drink beer ; also they treat me as a fucking child even when I've been living on my own, paying my own shit and have been my own boss for almost 7 years. My waggie friends are always too tired to gather for game nights and when they have time/energy; they rather go get wasted on a bar or stay at home so their depression can keep eating them from the inside. I tried playing with randos but I have encountered too many weirdos to keep trying. I've stopped buying games 4 years ago because I have no one to play with and solo is not appealing to me.
>>
>>82294013
I'd say most mechanics have been slowly improved upon, or at least have changed to be more appealing to more people (which isn't inherently bad), but there's a bunch of games that I find haven't been improved upon despite a lot of designers trying. El Grande still feels like the best area majority game and it's from, what, 1995? I would call Ra the objectively best auction game and that one is from 1999.
Also there are a bunch of designs that wouldn't get published today like Dune. I am aware of the irony of GF9 basically reprinting the 1979 version, but you get what I mean - the games mechanics are somewhat clunky and utterly different to how games are designed today, and this is a big part of what makes it so awesome. Imagine Eric Langs confused face if you'd tell him his newest game has to start with a blind auction every turn.
>>
>>82294444
>>82294598
>not forcing gin rummy on your significant other to cut wait times
Ngmi
>>
>>82294444
>I've asked multiple times. "Maybe later." So, never.
i had this problem too in the beginning. had to force it, since my wife is the embodiment of indecisiveness. i just said "we're gonna play this tonight, it's gonna be fun" and had pushback untill game 3 where she actually started enjoy it
>>
Getting back into board games again. What are the best websites to buy from or compare prices?

Any good sales going on anywhere? Haven't seen anything too great yet.
Considering purchasing Dune for my buddy for Christmas.
>>
>>82295317
boardlandia is doing a 15% off and their prices are very resonable, but they are constently out of stock on some of the more popular games
gamenerdz have good prices, and "deal of the day" are generally 30-40% off MSRP which happens at around 1 pm est everday
miniture market have random sales that pop up. They are a grab bag of board games, but most of the time there's a good 50 - 60% off some interesting stuff.
if you live near the west coast, boarding school games have decent prices
>>
>>82295402
These are exactly the sites I was looking for. Couldn't quite remember their names. Thanks anon.

What games are people planning on gifting this season?
>>
>>82295317
I'll add 'Amazon' because occasionally they do have really good deals. Also check out:

minaturemarket.com
coolstuffinc.com
>>
>>82294374
>lovecraft and zombies
True, also I can't believe there is almost no lovecraftian prominent movies
>>
>>82295317
BoardGameOracle gives you comparisons for just about every site
Gamenerdz, TabletopMerchant, and Boardlandia with their current 15% off sale are where you'll find most of the best prices
MiniatureMarket will price match all of them as well so that's also a good option (though they tend to be out of stock for everything I want more often than not)

Amazon is worth setting up price watches on CamelCamel because they'll often have crazy sales you won't see elsewhere, recently I picked up Trismegistus for $26 and Aeon's End War Eternal for $24
>>
Thoughts on Mezo?
>>
>>82294231
Still that doesn't make it a good game in general.
>>
>>82289052
flippin' sweet sign me up
>>
>>82297366
It's a great game, in fact
>>
>>82298272
Mediocre at best
>>
>>82298552
Nah
>>
Anyone ever fucked with Endure the Stars 1.5?

Can get it for £23 posted, probably worth it for the miniatures alone, it's got like a 7.5 on BGG but people are saying that's overrated and it's a bit dull.
>>
https://www.slashfilm.com/669020/the-best-board-games-of-2021/?mode=amp
>>
File: gaymes.jpg (269 KB, 889x1190)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>>82300162
>Cascadia
>Summoner Wars 2e
>Ankh
>Sleeping Gods
Are these good?

Also, r8 my collection /tg/
>>
>>82298743
What is it? Space decent?
>>
>>82300365
The entire top right can burn, but you've got netrunner so pretty good overall.
>>
>>82300365
TM amd mage knight are great, five tribes and the crew are pretty good. Despite disliking a:nr I can see why people like it, and I never played seasons and don't know what the 2 smallbox games next to the crew are. The other games can be fed to the flames without regret.
>>
>>82294031
You only need a printer and a couple of d6
>>82300365
Is the yellow small box the Oink game about Luchadores? Is ot good?
>>
File: tn_1235245586270.jpg (29 KB, 600x491)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>Bored at work so I thought I'd browse some publisher sites to see if anything interesting is coming out
>FFG put up a news article covering their In-Flight report for 2021 back in September
>small section about how it's the 25th anniversary of Twilight Imperium next year
>Will they release something new for the game? Perhaps a spin off game set in the same universe? Will they even release the fucking RPG supplement that's been delayed forever?
>NO! They're making two graphic novels with CMON of all people and also one for Netrunner. You know, that game they can't actually sell anymore and has been effectively dead for years now.

How the fucking mighty have fallen. I wish Asmodee would just put them out of their misery already.
>>
>>82302098
Ti is quite possibly the only good product remaining. The codex and LRR are pretty cool, but I suspect that is only because the community is massive and quite active. Dane Beltrami LITERALLY writes to a community member for the more obtuse rule questions of TI4
Why they are going for novels and other media is beyond me but even as a TI fan I likely won't touch that, they can pretty much only be mediocre in the best of cases
>>
Oath is such a fucking piece of trash. People will only defend it because they paid a shit ton of money to get it, but it’s BAD.
>>
>>82302668
I find the art is great, the mechanics decent (even though they seem fucking obtuse when you just go through the rules dry) and the game a bit of a mess with endings more unstatisfying than euros where the winner is clear 2 turns in advance. So, I kind of agree that sunk cost plays a role in the perception of the game (as almost aways)
>>
>>82303086
The art is great, and everything is so colorful that it tricks you into thinking you’re playing a good game. But the game is just trash, you just keep doing random things with no real purpose (because having a purpose is bad in this game) and then someone wins. And for a game that’s supposed to have a focus on narrative, it sure is themeless junk. Everything is so abstract that it doesn’t have a proper narrative feeling: what are “favors” exactly? How are “secrets” a currency? What are cards/denizens/advisors even supposed to represent? Why do they move to a different, public pile when you discard them? I’m not saying those are bad mechanics in itself, but trying to conceal that the game is very poorly balance by pretending the focus is the narrative, when the mechanics don’t reflect the narrative at all is extremely weak. Or by narrative they mean the meta aspect of the game? Because honestly, meta post-modernism is a whole decade overdue.
>>
>>82300365
>Cascadia
>Summoner Wars 2e
>Ankh
>Sleeping Gods
>Are these good?

Summoner Wars is the only good one of those.

Also, Netrunner, MK and Root are the only good games in your pic.
>>
>>82302668
>>82303086
I didn't pay a single cent to play my friends copy and I enjoy it, although I can definitely see why some people wouldn't.

>>82303209
You must have no imagination whatsoever. Favor is obviously a catch all term for money, influence, and actual favor with a faction. Secrets and information are absolutely a form of currency, and cards represent whatever the fuck is on them obviously.
>>
>>82303843
I keep reading summoner wars is good, I only tried the 2e thingy with the very limited cardpool online nad it seemed extremely meh to me. Probably just the horrible AI, but I did get the feeling of a run-of-the-mill game. What I wonder is if I'd still find it meh when I played it in person with another human or if that is enough to judge it
>>
>>82301277
>>82301326
The yellow box is Maskmen (Oink Games), it's a pretty basic trick tacking game 5/10; its ok, I just pull it out in the presence of absolute normies alongside monopoly.
The small box beneath is a japanese game called shuriken ninjya, it was a gift a friends brought from japan; I can't play it because the english is very bad in the rulebook, the game doesn't appear in bgg so I can't check there; and all the cards in the interior are in japanese.
>>
>>82294231
Thinking obviously isn't your strong point. Your Trolling is 2/10.
>>
>>82298743
Never even heard of it before now, and the v1.5 boxed set came out in 2019. It looks like Level 7's "Omega Protocol" set in space with all AI controlled opponents. It looks like it has limited / very limited player agency from what I'm seeing in the comments and the dice rolls / card draws can determine victory as opposed to good choices on the part of the players. I can think of other games with RNG that I'd much rather spend my money on.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGuMcqxAU4
>>
>Spirit Island promo pack is in stock
Finally. My printed out shit was getting kind of rough.
>>
File: SpiritIsland.jpg (186 KB, 871x896)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>82294026
What are you on about, this game is fresh as fuck and in fact I keep a copy in my cargo shorts at all times because you just never know. BTW I'm 50, lol
>>
File: pic4381672.jpg (159 KB, 1126x900)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>82304697
Fuck you, I stand by what I said 100%. I've played it with multiple ppl at LEAST 500 time, probably closer to 1000 by now. That's like 6000 hours and every one of those hours were fun and well-spent. You can't buy fun. I'm sorry you're a no-games faggot that feels like he's gotta ruin other ppl's badfun for cool boy points on 4chan, like a contrarian bitch.
>>82305350
It's btw I'm 50 lmao not lol, that's sissified
>>
>>82306099
Normies play Monopoly just as much and they have fun, does that make Monopoly a good game?
>>
File: I_sleep.png (638 KB, 600x450)
638 KB
638 KB PNG
>vikings /nord mythology
>cthulhu
>trains
>marvel
>star wars
>zombies
>detectives
>anime art style
>brown and grey fantasy art style
>is a miniatures KS game
>KS exclusives
>top X list is 80% 2015+ games
>game review is 60% filler for ads
>game reviewers' sets are 90% the same
>game is app assisted
>game has solo mode
>>
File: 1624180759466.jpg (59 KB, 800x599)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>82306374
>Buses instead of trains
>>
>>82306341
False equivalency. I don't know those ppl and neither do you, faggot
>>
i gotta question
in the expansion for TI4 you can blow up planets right?
can you blow up mekator rex?
>>
>>82306526
They are both garbage so the equivalency is spot on.
Also
>Verification not required
Even captcha agrees that you are a shitter.
>>
>>82306661
Ok no-games. I'm having fun with my friends and you're bitching in 4chan. No, they're not the same, you fucking fruit loop
>>
>>82306742
>i will keep enjoying eating shit and nobody can talk me out of it
>>
>>82305026
Is this a parody of SUSD?
>>
>>82307118
Your reading comprehension is nil
>>
>>82307150
do you see him complaining about woman having female traits?
>>
>>82307151
You are in full denial mode my dude.
>Verification not required.
Captcha agrees again.
>>
>>82307151
Look anon, you come here every day, post the same opinion as fact and get angry when people point out Last night on earth is an objectively bad game but you are free to enjoy it anyway. I genuinely wonder if you are suffering from mental illness.
>>
>>82307571
Every thread, moron and I'm defending myself from these other moron's slings and barbs and what of it? I can contend anything I want
>>
>>82307689
So it is deliberat? I suppose it is more autism than mental illness, then. How strange then that you are so adamant that you don't care about what other people think.
Also >>82306341 is an absolutely apt analogy. If you enjoy it, great! Does that make it an objectively good game? No.
>>
>>82303952
Why are favors a limited currency that's stored and shared in banks of different factions and can be taken by Alchemists? Cards are so incoherent in what they represent. Some of them are events, some of them are specific people, some of them are items, some of them are ideas, some of them are... vegetation? And you can set them as advisers, but also as things that are in places? So when I draw a card and I keep it as a face down adviser, who happen to be a band of wandering gypsies, and then I bring them (face down) with me to a Fertile Valley, then I place them there so now they live there because I said so....? what? But if I hadn't picked them, they would have been sent to the provinces.... but you can't pretend they "were just there", because memorizing and keeping track of the cards that keep changing between the discard decks is part of the game, so thematically it just makes no sense.
>>
>>82306099
> I'm an expert on this game!
> I can't articulate what makes the game good.

Right. Highly believable. Like I said. 2/10 Trolling.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Black Friday in couple of days and since Poots is probably gonna restock his store, anyone mind selling me on KD:M?
Is it good?
How does offer from KD:M store on BF compare to KS, is it worth it?
>>
>>82308762
I don't know if you get much response as a lot of the KD:M players have drifted away from /bgg/ after the first couple of waves of product.
>>
>>82309044
I'm scared to ask if they committed mass suicide after seeing how much they paid for the product or did KD:M become their second life and they can't stop playing it.
>>
>>82308762
KDM is that game with the sexy girls that Paul threw a hissy fit over in a old episode of SUSD?
>>
>>82309139
Not that anon, but they have their own thread for what it's worth. Everytime I glanced at it it was mostly fapbait and lore bits though. Rarely seen talk about the gameplay itself in general, which I take for a bad sign
>>
File: thinking.jpg (9 KB, 177x285)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>82309227
Yeah i think one of SUSD snowflakes (i don't know their names) said it's shit because it's too sexist.

>>82309248
couldn't find any kdm general, I though they are hiding here since from time to time someone mentions it and from what i remember /bgg/ is kinda bipolar when it comes to this game. Anons either say its best game ever made or that its absolute dogshit.
>>
>>82309044
Well I am one., However don't feel the need to bring it up if no one is asking. I see KDM not as a true boardgame. Kind of a weird mix of different game genres.

>>82308762
>>82309139
It's fucking good if you are the target for the game. Do you like building and painting miniatures? Do you like building your stuff to just see it get demolished by monstes and bad decisions? Do you get it to the table regularly with a group or solo? Go for it pretty great time sink. You easily get your moneys worth out of it if you are the target. Best case would be if you know someone who owns it and test it. However there is a TTS Mod.

If you are unsure I would safe the money and spent it on other boardgames or if you realy want to try it get JUST the core.

The revised Edition of the Core Game the 1.6 just arrived at their warehouse and they are starting to send them out to the people who have pre ordered it. So now is a good time to pick up the core. Or wait for people to sell it because it was not their taste.

Best price was during the Kikcstarter, but can't see how there will be a new KS coming in the several next years. So much stuff is still in development and waiting to be released. The designer has great ideas, but sucks a keeping timelines.
There is always a blackfriday sale on the KDM Website. Most stuff is 50% off if they have it in stock.
During the lasts sales it was the cheapest option to get the game as you saved I think about 100 bucks. MSRP is 400$, so 25% off.

TLDR: Great game if you are the target. If you have spare cash JUST get the core. Don't bother with expansion until you beat the core game.
>>
>>82309248
>>82309139
There was one anon that frequented the /bgg that played KDM with his mom (or was it aunt?) and her wino friends. I remember him actually talking about the campaign, Character progressions and wacky moments. Maybe he still lurks and can give you his two cents. He seemed to be having a great time with the system.
>>
>>82309382
>Yeah i think one of SUSD snowflakes (i don't know their names)
just double checked
the WORSE sjw's of them all, so SJW he had to leave the show, reviewed that game back in the day
29 minutes of the guy complaining the game is too gory and females are too sexy
>>
>>82309406
> Do you like building and painting miniatures?
Never did any of them.
Building is probably fun but painting... ugh... they would most definitely look worse after what i would do to them.

>Do you like building your stuff to just see it get demolished by monstes and bad decisions
Yeah, this is exactly what i want. Something like Darkest Dungeon from PC but good.

> Do you get it to the table regularly with a group or solo?
Would play it with a friend, so just a duo.

>Best price was during the Kikcstarter, but can't see how there will be a new KS coming in the several next years
Yeah, i'm kinda sad i missed it, and since last one was 5 years ago i doubt there will be new one soon.

>During the lasts sales it was the cheapest option to get the game as you saved I think about 100 bucks. MSRP is 400$, so 25% off.
if in 2 days (Blakc Friday) its gonna be on sale for 300$ im probably gonna pull a trigger, on core only but I anticipates that it will cost 350$ +100$ from taxes and shipping. So yeah kinda pricey.

>>82309461
Typical SUSD is typical
>>
>>82309382
there is a big discord with several thousand people where most of the discussions happen.

>>82309248
The Pinups are a whole different thing. It's basically official fanart to funnel money towards the development of the game. The developer underestimated the costs during the first kickstarter and needed to close a gap of several million dollar(2-5).

You can completly skip all pinups for gameplay reasons. They might have some promo stuff, but several are unbalanced and not enough tested. You can see it as previews
>>
And if i was buying KDM i should buy 1.6 right?
Buying 1.0 is bad idea.
>>
>>82309535

>Building is probably fun but painting... ugh... they would most definitely look worse after what i would do to them.
Well it's a hybrid between miniature wargaming, pnp rpgs and boardgames. I would say in this order.

>Yeah, this is exactly what i want. Something like Darkest Dungeon from PC but good.
Well there is a learning curve in the game. Sometimes it is also unfair, especially in the beginning where you are missing essential stuff to mitigate bad outcomes. Had case where I restarted the whole campaign after the prologue cause of bad luck.

>Would play it with a friend, so just a duo
2and 4 players are my favorite. You always play with 4 Survivors during a showdown. Thus some prefer 3 players, because you have a spare survivor in case someone dies early during a fight.

>Yeah, i'm kinda sad i missed it, and since last one was 5 years ago i doubt there will be new one soon.
Can't see it happen. The fanbase would riot. At the moment they are still working on the Gamblers Chests, which was in the beginning just a KS goodie box, but evolved into an own campaign. Hopefully they will deliver it in summer 2022. After that, there are more than a dozen expansions still in development. So maybe in 5-10 years.

>if in 2 days (Blakc Friday) its gonna be on sale for 300$ im probably gonna pull a trigger, on core only but I anticipates that it will cost 350$ +100$ from taxes and shipping. So yeah kinda pricey.
Depend where you are from, but if you are from Europe or UK they just started to open new Warehouses there. They also have a warehouse in australia and canada. Might be on sale, but make sure to select the right warehouse hen ordering.

If you want to see the actually gameplay I would watch the prologue session which beastsofwar did for the Kickstarter in 2016 on youtube. But I would advice to not watch more than lantern year 2. This was what convinced me to participate in the KS after I heard about KDM from a friend
>>
>>82308237
Why does Dune just end after a set number of rounds? Why is Mecatol Rex immune to all planet destroying effects in TI? Why can’t I use the same attack twice in a row in Gloomhaven without using items to fetch my cards back? Because the game mechanics > the game theme.

You’re playing a board game, not an interactive story you midwit. If you can’t handle the dissonance of some actions not aligning perfectly to theme then just stick to abstracts.
>>
>>82308762
>How does offer from KD:M store on BF compare to KS, is it worth it?
KS was $200 (+$20 shipping), ~1 year delivery
BF is usually $300, 2-3 months delivery, (but at the moment shipping costs are anyone's guess, it can easily go up to 50)
>>
>>82309885
>KS was $200
>BF is usually $300
holy fuck, maybe im gonna wait another 5 years for next KS then.
O since KD:M is apparently being delivered right now maybe some people are gonna resell it. 100$ is a lot for poorfag like me.
>>
>>82306601
No, you can’t destroy Mecatol Rex or any players home system from what I remember. Although you can change Mecatol’s position on the map with the Ghosts hero by swapping it’s tile with another one.
>>
>>82309846
>>
>>82309755
Don't get the 1.0 game.
There were some big changes with the 1.5 version. The campaign got extended by 5 lantern years, a new monster and some other stuff.

If you can get a 1.5 cheap, you can think about it. There is a upgrade card pack for the owners of the 1.5 to upgrade it to 1.6. It just came out a month ago in the US and people in Europe start to receive it just now. Extras should be available in the future on the store. The contain the 1.6 stuff and some promo stuff which was promised during the 1.5 KS

>>82309885
Yeah KS was a great deal. Even more the fucking gamblers chest. Sold for 100 and will certainly sell close to the core or even more

>>82309913
Doubt it will be this cheap again, but there is a high chance some people don't like it and resell it.
>>
How is Heroes of Black Reach compared to the other Heroes of games? Heard there were some rulebook issues with earlier versions of the Heroes series.
Thinking about picking it up, because Black Reach is on sale right now
>>
>>82310116
Was gambler's chest offered during the first KS back in 2017?
Now it costs about 300$ if not more.
I'd like to get KDM but it sounds like a nightmare, since everything is out of stock most of the time.
>>
Any opinions and play comments on the king is dead, inis, or ankh?
>>
>>82310607
the fist KS was late 2012 / early 2013 and it did not include Gambler's Chest
>>
>>82310659
I see, when is the next KS supposed to be happening?
Also is the gambler's chest really that delayed?
>>
>>82310734
>when is the next KS supposed to be happening?
not that anon, but don't expect it before 2025.
>>
>>82310329
Their editing has gotten better as of Black Reach / Stalingrad, but I still think the WW2 games are more interesting, and they have a lot more content.
Still, it's a solid system and I definitely recommend it.
>>
>>82310734
>Also is the gambler's chest really that delayed?
Original proposed delivery date (for the whole 2nd Kickstarter) was by the end of 2020. We are at the end of 2021 and the Chest is not out yet, this will reflect as a rolling delay into the rest of the deliverables. So closing by 2024 (and having new KS in 2025 as >>82310800 suggests) is rather optimistic estimate. Delivery by '26 or '27 is probably more realistic.
For those who participated (or at least followed) the 1st KS, the delay is no surprise. For those that jumped the bandwagon when 2nd KS went mainstream this causes much salt and vitriol.
>>
Is Root really that bad? I kind of want a board game that has great presentation and good for roughly 4 players ideally.
>>
>>82311108
>Is Root really that bad?
Yes
>I kind of want a board game that has great presentation and good for roughly 4 players ideally.
Try Pax Pam
>>
>>82310926
From what I heard GC should be in pre-production, so you may expect it in 2022.
That's an expansion, right? If so, it looks massive, with more content than the others.
>>
>>82311108
It's fine. It being popular makes people in /bgg shit on it for fun and (you)s.
The first teach is a slog and if you are rotating players it isn't ideal as you have to redo that long teach. Some players found it boring once the group figures out the factions and meta, and the expansions relieve that issue. The end game has also been noted to lack tension or surprise.
My group likes it, but we are the same four people and we love busting in shins and exploring different faction matchups as I own all the expansion content minus the bot modules.
>>
>>82310607
>>82310659
2017 was the second KS. Gamblers chest was just a stretchgoal box in the beginning but scopecreep happend. If interested in the content check update #83

The Core is enough for playing the game and it is available again. Expansions are only interesting if you beat the game or have played 100+ hours. If you have doubts as I said do not buy it or try the Tabletopsimulator Mod

Expansions will be available in the future as these are part of different campaigns besides the lantern campaign in the core.

>>82310800
>>82310926
agree, but with the current development state could be 2030 or later, if he does ever another KS.
I would like to see the lantern festival campaign and Ringtail survivors one day, but I have my doubts we will ever see them
Biggest problem is that Poots doesn't have a good project manager who beats the shit out of him when he goes off track.

>>82311301
It's set for Q2 2022 but we will see
>>
how hard would it be to use the twilight imperium 4 expansion with the third game?
>>
>>82311418
relatively easy, it doesn't add that much.
>>
>>82311352
>>82311221
Is the expansions required content? How does it compare to Oath?
>>
>>82311502
>Is the expansions required content?
If you are going to be playing it over a dozen times, maybe. I find people these days get their new games, play it maaaaybe a half dozen times, and then move on to whatever else is on their wishlist.
>How does it compare to Oath?
Not really comparable. Very different resource management, mechanics, goals, combat. Roots factions are built to be different, Oath you either start as the king or an exile and from there its the cards you control that force the asymmetry, sort of like Pax Pamir
>>
File: crop.png (247 KB, 662x481)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>82311380
>that Poots doesn't have a good project manager who beats the shit out of him when he goes off track.
Here's where I disagree, that's exactly what he should not have. He needs dedicated PR person to curb overpromises and manage expectations, he needs dedicated logistics person, reliable proofreader, and maybe nanny to help looking after the kid. But he should not be supervised and pushed to the deadlines. Because meeting deadlines is all about compromises, cutting corners and half-assing shit to be finished later (read as never). I'd rather see him make small amount of stuff up to his autistically perfectionist standards than become yet another CMON-like factory for mediocrity.
>>
Should I get Watergate?
>>
>>82312167
whatsstoppingyou
>>
>>82311690
I never said anything about deadlines. I was talking about that he goes off the track or gets distracted, gets lost in details and overpromises as you said.
Best example is the gamblers chest. It is the bottleneck and causing all futher delays. He realized he needed a foundation for future expansion, so he needed time to develop it. I am fine with it. Also I don't mind the delay of the gamblers chest. He scope creeped everything which I am fine with, too. However he even added stuff which was not promised in the KS. I like the concept of the wanderers and it is nice that it got added, but it took attention away from the important part of the gamblers chest. He also started several side projects, like the butcher on the big base and the nukalope.

A good project manager does not follow blindly deadlines. He structures and organize your project in manageable sizes. Looks for keyelements and priorities which need to be dealt first (bottlenecks). He determines which skills are needed (proof reader, logistics...) and makes sure that these get added to the project. Another important aspect is that ressources do not get wasted.
Creativtiy is an organic process. Good ideas need time and need to be revised. Poots is the mind behind KDM and needs the time for devolping his ideas and vision. However as far as I read he also manages the production run of the plastics and the card printing. As the owner he has some obligation regarding financial investments, but planning and sceduling production should be the duty of the project manager. His only job regarding production should be if the production samples allign with his vision.
>>
>>82307150
Yes. It says so in the video description.
>>
>>82311221
How the fuck does Pax Pamir have great presentation? Don't get me wrong i think it's an amazing game but it looks bland as fuck.
>>
>>82308672
I can't be bothered with you faggots
>>
File: pic4920503.jpg (167 KB, 900x599)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>82312873
How the fuck it does not?
simple and elegant
>>
>>82312938
Come on anon, especially in your pic it looks like a kids toy.
>>
quit my job yesterday to try to switch careers over the next 3 years. Just bought my last boardgame - Fallout with all the expansions. I have a bunch of Kickstarters as well as numerous bigbox campaign games yet to play. Dozens more I need to paint. Hopefully I will kick the FOMO bug. Going to unsubscribe from all boardgame channels. Wish me luck.
>>
>>82312938
I want to put the pieces in my mouth
>>
>>82314636
Don't play games with candy. That is like falling for a multi-level marketing scam.
>>
>>82314636
NNN really done a number to you, they are not even phallic.
>>
>>82314129
Good luck Anon. Don‘t be a slave to your desires! FOMO is not worth it
>>
>>82312938
It has pastel coloured blocks that are kind of nice to touch and that's about it. I also have no idea why it does seem particularly beautiful to some, I find it a bit barebones with quality in the wrong places; the lacklustre map out of linen, for example
>>
>>82314129
Good luck, anon. And remember that games should not be measured by the potential fun you THINK you'll have with them but by how often you actually get them out and have fun. A game that sits on the shelf for 5 years is near worthless to me
>>
>>82309846
Because the fremen amassed enough power to fuck everyone else.
Because destroying the galaxy's capital will make all your planet's populations revolt immediately.
Because gloomhaven is a shit game.
>>
>>82315768
The freman didn’t do shit despite living there for thousands of years, terrible assumption that they’d suddenly kick everyone else out. Mecatol has been destroyed several times over and apart from one city is a inhospitable wasteland. If the galaxy doesn’t hunt down and exterminate humans for bombing it into oblivion, why should they care if someone blows it up? There are plenty more planets. Your opinion on gloomhaven doesn’t disprove the point that theme serves a game, not the other way around.

2/10 apply yourself.
>>
Quick help needed please!
I need a gift idea, I need a quick (1 to 2 hours), fun, aggressive game. What comes up to mind?
>>
>>82317534
Aggressive you say? Bus, but it's steep in price. Otherwise, Dune Imperium?
>>
>>82317534
you cant go wrong with carcassone
>>
>>82317534
Pax pamir, Tammany Hall, bus, cosmic frog, kemet, tulip bubble, profiteers
>>
>>82317534
I'm not sure what you mean by aggressive but Galaxy Trucker
>>
Recommend me a board game /bgg/

Has to be honest to goodness BOARD game. I just did a stocktake and pretty much all the games in my collection are cards cards cards.

Looking for something around the complexity of Catan (2.31 weight on BGG) down to Carcassonne (1.91 weight). I bring those two up because I'd like something that could work as a decent gateway game. A playtime of 60-90mins would be ideal, but 45-120mins are my acceptable limits. Bonus points for something that most board game groups are unlikely to have. (eg, Alicematic Heroes)
>>
>>82314636
>Play Sagrada
>Can't stop chewing on the favor tokens
>>
Where are the best black friday deals for board games this year?
>>
File: IMG_20211125_153259.jpg (289 KB, 847x900)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
Recommend me your best board game under 30€
>>
>>82317716
>Bonus points for something that most board game groups are unlikely to have
You're getting Kabuto Sumo
>>
>>82317842

Homeworlds
>>
>>82317553
>>82317572
>>82317584
>>82317605
Thanks anons, I'll check those out :)
>>
>>82318087
good luck hope whatever you gift brings a lot of fun
>>
Who is the worst poster on bgg?
>>
File: art.png (2.67 MB, 1861x819)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB PNG
Almost all the reviewers showcase the same games over and over; and it makes me wonder, does this create a bottleneck by leading people's attention to just a handful of games or are the games they show really the best of the best?

Also, looking for good games with pic-related art style.
>>
Is Unfathomable good?
>>
File: 1622599697279.jpg (53 KB, 516x600)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>82318204
Hands down STEEV. Bastard still hasn't played spirit island, the potato huffing faggot
>>
>>82317842
Watergate
>>
File: vil.jpg (8 KB, 300x168)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>82318204

post-war bgg is pretty comfy tbqh
shame about the industry, but at least we have gmt
>>
>>82318210
I asked the very same question months ago, and I got told that savage planet sucks.
>>
File: Villagers-Card-Game-.jpg (271 KB, 820x540)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>82317842
Pic related
>>
>>82318353
>STEEV

He's just busy spreading the TI Gospel. "Thou shalt not play 8 player games of TI!" And designing 'proper' 4 and 5 player TI maps.

>>82318385
>post-war bgg

If CMoN isn't dead, and they're still making plastic pushers, then odds are someone out here is still waging the war on that... And God Speed to those Anons! Bro-anons don't let bros CMoN.
>>
>>82318210
Cosmic Frog just got recomended by >>82317584; maybe they can elaborate?
>>
>>82318906
that anon is looking for OTHER games with similar art style. I am not sure of any other good games with that aesthetic. There is mushroom eaters, but ive never played it, nor have i heard it is a good game (a novel experience the first time, maybe).
I guess dungeon degenerates is a few degrees of separation off for colours and off beat sensibility? But have not played that one either.
>>
>>82318942
Mushroom Eaters is a meme and OOP anyway.
Dungeon Degenerates is visually awesome but mechanically repetitive as fuck and not that interesting, since you barely have to make meaningful decisions while fighting.
Oath and Root are unironically two of the most visually appealing games, even if I dislike the former and don't think the latter is that great.
Cave Evil is another game with a fantastic aesthetic and a fine gameplay which could be much better with more playtesting and polishing.
>>
>>82309846
But that’s exactly the problem with Oath, you moron. The mechanics are lackluster as fuck and unbalanced, but it gets brushed under the carpet by pretending that the real focus of the game is the narrative/storytelling even if the whole thing is a themeless piece of junk and the mechanics don’t reflect the theme at all.
The games you listed don’t claim to be storytelling games, not even Gloomhaven.
>>
>>82317848
Nothing against kabuto sumo, but that price for a game that short and small is just absurd

>>82318204
Possibly the last night on earth "bitch" anon. We are pretty blessed rn
>>
How to evenly cut print-and-play components?
>>
>>82319947
He's based, you're just a homosex bitch boy
>>
https://www.wargamer.com/mega-man-adventures/board-game-reveal
>>
>>82305026
lel, spot on
>>
File: s3ZG9DV.jpg (514 KB, 1136x640)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
>>82320179
>>
>>82320179
you can get those guillotine cutters from office supply stores.
>>
Suggest a board game that's usually played under 2 hours and is good for 4-5 people. I'm open to anything
>>
>>82322432
Last Night On Earth is pretty good at that player count
>>
>>82322432
Hansa teutonica or El Grande. slick games that never overstay their welcome and are better the more people playing.
>>
Anyone play Caylus 1303? Shit?
>>
>>82300365
what are your experiences with root
>>
>>82322954
Easier to teach than what people say; as long as nobody picks the Vagabond for the first few games. Game stays fresh if you have the expansions because each faction is different enough from the others. My biggest complain with it is that it has virtual elimination; victory is very telegraphed; if one of the players is given enough room for a couple rounds he can easily snowball.
>>
>>82322954
It sucks
>>
>>82322432
Seconding El Grande
>>
How's Lords of Hellas?
>>
I've been out of board gaming for like 5 years or so. What are some landmark great games that have come out in the last 5 or so years? For some context some of the games I love are Power Grid, Cosmic Encounter, Kemet, Keyflower, Battlestar Galactica, Carcassonne. Theres a lot more in my collection but thats off the top of my head some that we really enjoy.
>>
>>82323918
It's sat on my shelf for two years without being played if that tells you anything.
>>
>>82324182
You owe it to yourself to try out Pax Pamir
Also Dune got a reprint in 2019 so that was a thing. If you love cosmic you should try it out, same designers.
Spirit island is one of the best co-ops in recent memory with fantastic expansion content.
Twilight Struggle got a spiritual successor in Imperial Struggle. Unfortunately in today's age in won't do it's Pappa a repeat and hit #1 on bgg, but it's got chops.
>>
>>82324399
>Also Dune got a reprint in 2019 so that was a thing.
The only thing nice about the reprint is the components.
>>
>>82322432
Chinatown is the perfect choice
longest game i ever had was 1and a half hour only because my prick of a friend was being extremely stubborn with every single trade
>>
>>82324399
Thanks friend. I'll look into those.
>>
>>82321488
problem is that those are REALY EASY to fuck things up
>>
Chaos Cards has the Android Netrunner Revised Core Set for £29.95 plus shipping. Is this a fucking scam or should i pull the trigger?
>>
How does Stronghold Undead compare to the original? Is it better mechanically?
>>
>>82320179
measure twice cut once
>>
>>82325032
Dead game.
>>
>>82325559
Holly shit are you my doppelganger? I was actually watching videos about the differences between the original and Undead because the orignal looked amazing and i am definitely getting one of them.
>>82325665
So you think buying just the core is not enough?
>>
>>82325763
I think Undead looks like shit so I probably won't get it. I wish Caylus old version was still available for purchasing.
>>
Is Dominant Species the best action programming game? Any other good ones?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (251 KB, 1154x770)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Now that the dust has settled, what do we think about it?
>>
>>82326134
i dont play it enough, and really want to play as the brits.
four games as france and im tired of mercilessly winning
>>
>>82326161
Is it true that it's not as elegant as Twilight Struggle?
>>
>>82326207
not sure what elegant is supposed to mean here. are you looking to see if its better? easier to teach? sleeker in play?
I dont see them as trying to accomplish the same thing. With scoring cards being unknowns and not fixed, TS is rife with tension and paranoia. IS is more juggling too many plates and trying to force concessions in select scoring zones.
IS's turns are not especially fiddly, pretty obvious plays as the investment chit pile dwindles. Keeping track of war checklists is about 1.5 times more a hassle than scoring checks in TS. Events are less center stage as you are not always playing them. TS has less things to keep in mind which makes the teach more straightforward.
Im keeping both as they provide different scopes and emotional investments.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (34 KB, 448x553)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
What a turbocuck
>>
>>82326134
Really really like it and was suprised at how much I ended up liking the elements I was most sceptical about (somewhat deterministic event deck, the relatively small amount of ministry cards). The smalles decisions DO matter a lot and shape future actions.
>>82326161
We too found France easier to play initially as you start with a leg up in europe and events favor you going full on diplomacy there. But in my experience, choking the french for squadrons (which isn't that costly, just cuck their minister that needs a squadron in america to build at a discount) absolutely ruins them in the seven years war and onwards
>>82326683
He caved under the pressure of colonism bad and did a 180 on it. Looking forward to nothing that is specifically made to appease the woke crowd selling because that is the way things seem to go. I did like his designs and "who gives a shit I just like the setting" attitude and this inscincerety displeases me. There are so few people who really give a damn about this, but man an they vocal and I wish they didn't get more and more control over this small market.
>>
>>82325965
OG DS (Marine removes the action programming) is one of the best of the genre with how clean its system is, although it is fairly mathy enough to give some players AP and the player interaction can be very mean for some (one group I play with nicknamed it Ass Rape for that reason). For another GMT title, Nevsky uses action programming to simulate the time delay for giving orders in medevial conflicts, excellent game but may be too punishing for some. On the Euro side, Pret a Porter is very similar to OG DS but while a solid game it leans more into worker placement and economics as I found the action programming to be toothless unless you play with exactly 4 players. I’ve not played it, but Robo Rally is the big game of the genre that’s worth looking at.
>>
>>82327172
Did you check out 300: Earth and Water?

Also what do you think about DS: Marine?
>>
>>82327194
>DS: Marine
I’m generally not a fan of the changes it made to DS’s system as it becomes more random between the random starting powers, the lack of action programming causing actions to go off immediately making it more chaotic instead of strategic, cards flipping off the deck after a player uses them instead of during a reset phase leading to the perfect card being available for the next player just because you took a card, the overall player interaction being weaker outside of some exclusive events that may or may not be in the game because you don’t play with all the events like in OG DS, etc., all these changes are made for the sake of cutting a mere hour or so off the playtime. And yet despite thinking it’s worse than the original, it’s still a damn fine game I’d recommend that makes a euro area control game a constant nail bitter with how it works, it’s certainly more indirect interaction than the original but the fight for board presence, dominance tracks, and dominance cards is still super engaging. What makes the game shine for me while being a fan of the original for the last 10 or so years is that Marine scales amazingly well at 2p and is arguably best at 3p (and I say that as one of the weirdos that thinks the original is great at 3p).
>>
>>82319683
It's ok to not like something even if other people do anon.

And Gloomhaven 100% presents itself as a story game. Every map has story read before, after, and sometimes during. In between maps random cards are drawn with more story, every character gets a random backstory and related objective too. It may be a shit story, but it's still there in every part of the game.
>>
>>82317848
Sounds interesting, but it's a bit light for my tastes.
>>
>>82324182
I've been hearing good things about Cosmic Frog just this year. Enough that I wouldn't discount it just for the premise, and would give it a play or two to see what all the fuss is about.
>>
Have you guys tried Arkham Horror LCG or LOTR LCG? How are those games?

What do you guys think about Ankh?
>>
>>82328151
my AH LCG revised core set arrived yesterday.
I'll see if i can bully a friend or two into playing it with me on the weekend. But from what i gathered the LCG is still pretty good.
can't say much about the LOTR one or Ankh.
>>
File: biz zyda szabla.gif (2.18 MB, 320x228)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB GIF
> wake up in the middle of the night to prepare for KD:M BF
> 15 minutes before BF store is updated and KD:M price is updated.
> ow shiet gotta go fast to buy it before its sold out
> check the price on the sale
> previous prace : 350 $
> current price (on the sale) : 400 $
> that s the "big sale"
> it's 50 $ more expensive
Well, I guess money = saved.
ha-ha
Now only that's left for me is to hope that Sankokushin: Five Sacrifices is gonna be good stuff cuz i ain't paying this retarded ameri*an 400$ for his "hunt the white lion simulator"
>>
Are there any good Black Friday board game sales?
>>
>>82325032
If you're interested in playing Netrunner casually it's a pretty decent deal, it could be hard to find later due to being a dead game. The game gets a lot better with expansions but you can have fun with a single core. Just be aware that if you decide you want to get into "standard" competitive Netrunner a lot of the cards in it have been rotated out by the fan-run group that took over.
>>
>>82327454
I don’t care if you like Oath or not, I’m very open with people liking whatever they like. There are people out there who enjoy shitting during sex and I’m super at peace with the idea.
Still, if we’re in a forum of board games I think it’s perfectly valid that I post about my negative and frustrating experiences with this shit game, even if your feelings get hurt and you need to rely on “s-stop liking what i dislike”.
>>
>>82328495
>ameri*an
Retard detected. I'm glad it went up. Stop polluting our hobby, u fucking tourist
>>
>>82328873
Oh no no no, ameriuntermensch getting butt blasted part 2.0.
go play some scythe, nigger.
>>
>>82328495
That's so retarded.
I was interested in it as well, but they keep increasing the base pricing and discounting it to mimic a sale.
>>
>>82329003
Shipping also went up from 20$ to 50$.
Hope you understand goyum.
Now buy my product.
>>
>>82327124
>>82326134
I've played like three games of it, two as France and one as England, and I've won everytime. I really like how wars are resolved. I prefer it to TS, but its reception seems muted to me.

Also, how exactly are the Jacobite rebellions supposed to work? Does France get anything for winning the first one?
>>
>>82329002
Nah, idc desu but you sound like a simpering moron with the ameri*an bullshit. Fuck back off to reddit or whatever wretched hell you drug your sorry ass out of, cagnatw I'm 50 lmao
>>
>>82329274
> Nah, idc desu but you sound like a simpering moron with the ameri*an bullshit. Fuck back off to reddit or whatever wretched hell you drug your sorry ass out of, cagnatw I'm 50 lmao
t. ameri*an scy*he nigger.
>>
>>82329261
>Also, how exactly are the Jacobite rebellions supposed to work? Does France get anything for winning the first one?
Keep winning them and you will have permanent three ministry cards, the third of which must be Jacobite rebellion, which you'll just spam for points to sail to victory. Winning the first war gets you a Jacobite victory chit, which adds to the vp potential of the ministry card.
>>
>>82329307
And you're a typical atrocious faggot so I guess I got you beat by a country mile, ESL nigger
>>
>>82329423
> And you're a typical atrocious faggot so I guess I got you beat by a country mile, ESL nigger
t. ameri*an scy*he nigger.
>>
>>82326683
Who cares.
Pfisters games are kinda boring, but I have only played Blackout, Mombasa and Maracaibo.
I doubt GWT are much better.
>>
I think that
>"Did you know monopoly was actually created to highlight the evils of capitalism which is why its intentionally not fun?"
is the board game equivalent of
>"Did you know that the Super Mario Bros 2 released in north america is actually a completely different game called Doki Doki Panic?"
>>
>>82329479
Well he did push out a revision of GWT to remove all the red niggers so he's pretty based.
>>
>>82329533
not only that, but now it's implied that the natives were actually bandits out to get your scalp in the first edition of the game, instead of being just traders
>>
>>82329568
Based. Hope he sets Mombasa Deux in a white man's country.
>>
Opinions on Canvas? I love the aesthetic, but find the game sort of middling
>>
What's the point of creating a game like Barrage, Clans of Caledonia or Crystal Palace and then assigning a shitty low-impact special ability to your chosen side so that it differs ever so slightly from others and so that it often narrows down your choice spectrum? I hate that design, minimal assymmetry is the reason I avoid some games completely.
>>
>>82330207
>I hate that design, minimal assymmetry is the reason I avoid some games completely.
Do you want Leder Games, Dune, Cosmic Encounter, and Kemet? Because this is how you get Leader Games, Dube, Cosmic Encounter, and Kemet.
>>
>>82330291
Kemet the asymmetry is a product of your decisions, not the other way around.
Dune is universally loved.
Cosmic is so blatant about each game being a low-agency showpiece for weird-ass special abilities that I'm pretty sure it's a feature not a bug.
Leder though are pretty shit about this - but it's a much bigger problem in root than oath.
>>
Anyone here play Crown of Emara? Seems like a top game.
>>
>>82330495
There is no way I will ever be in a room with five other people that have read Dune so I won't play it, ever. Did you like Oath?
>>
>>82329502
Based
>>
>>82329502
I prefer telling everyone that they are playing it wrong because apparently nobody ever bothers actually reading the god damn manual.
Just once i wanna play it without shitty house rules that stretch this game into multiple hours and then realize it's still a shit game.
>>
>>82330743
Mostly. The resource management and fighting over tableau elements is good, I like the victory conditions, but with how consistently kindling picks the winner, I very much wish there were more political/negotiation tools available.
>>
>>82330964
>Kindling
Kingmaking. Phoneposting a shit.
>>
>>82322432
INIS
>>
Has anyone tried the King's Dilemma? It seems interesting.
>>
>>82331009
>INIS

i can never tell if that's the Scottish or Welsh pronunciation where the "P" is silent. As in "After a long night of drinking, I wiped out my 'Inis and pissed all over the neighbor ladies' 'edgerow on me way 'ome from the bar."
>>
>>82329261
As>>82329321
Said. I recommend trying to go for jacobites in one game if you usually play the same opponent, it is quite easy to archive and nets you a fuckton of VP for not much. Threatening it in later games is also very fun because england is fucking afraid of them and you have not that much at stake. Sure, the Ministry card not having keywords is the tradeoff and england being able to shut it down via war and... I forgot, was it an event card? is also a downer, but it can really shift englands focus in europe on relatively unimprotant spots and not baltic trade, alliances, prestige spots etc.
God I really like the game.

>I prefer it to TS, but its reception seems muted to me
I think it is mostly because of the (somewhat false) comparison to TS. It still is a niche game, and TS is so well known and popular because it had decades to be explored and figured out in a time where great games weren't as easily accessible and available as they are now. Could be wrong ofc and it could just be something like people not being interested in the time period as it feels so much further away than TS.
>>
are graphics the only difference between the Patchwork versions? Americana is my least favorite looking from them all, but if the rules are the same; I'll get it just to save $12
>>
Due to Black Friday (((discount))), my local store is selling Mage Knight Ultimate for the low, low price of 110 euros.

Worth it?
>>
>>82331078
Seems ludicrously expensive for how it looks.
>>
>>82331435
Don't know, but I've decided to finally play my first solo game ever, I choose mage knight for the task because is very difficult to bring to my table (it's been sitting unplayed for almost 3 years). If I don't like the experience; I'll sell it.
>>
>>82331078
Blah blah narrative is somewhat ok, writing isn't particularly good but not that bad blah blah mechanics are shit though, nothing you do really had any consequences but the smallest difference in vp at the end of a session you aren't even sure you WANT blah blah very predictable story, blah blah actually 6 parallel 'bigger' stories' that pretend they are open but ultimately boil down to end in sticker A or B which have no consequences and read very similarly.

Didn't like it all that much, but it got a bunch of laughs out of us and I can see people who want to RP the game liking it. 5/10, maybe.
>>
>>82331435
>110 euro
What? I bought if for ~ 60 euro like a year ago, idk where you live but price is really high.
Overall i play MK only in coop duo (pvp is unfunny meme, and playing board games solo is for autistic subhumans) and it's really fun to play, not sure if for that amount of money tho.
>>
>>82331253
Its pronounced INN-ISH
>>
>>82330743
You can use the game to get people to read the book.
>>
>>82328151
i played just the base set of arkham horror lcg, but its fun and well made. im looking into getting an expansion but unsure what to go for
>>
>>82326207
>>82326134
>Is it true that it's not as elegant as Twilight Struggle?

They are just very different games.

>Now that the dust has settled, what do we think about it?

It's good. I prefer Twilight Struggle despite - or perhaps because of - it's quirks and tension, but Imperial Struggle represents a major accomplishment and another feather in the caps of Gupta & Matthews
>>
>>82332168
Sounds neat, I found it for 40 bucks for the revised edition, might as well give it a go
>>
>>82328151
Didnt like the arkham horror lcg since it was (1) a big cashgrab with not realy replayable modules for quite high prices (2) very thick theme but at the cost of a "exploring the game IS the game" and because it was just extremely random. Not an inherently bad game, but I played it a bit and found the core gameplay felt like the weakest part of the game, and I don't like that.
>>
Update:

After placing my order for Pax Renaissance on October 2020 it should ship out in the upcoming weeks
>>
>>82333051
You might get it in 2022. Might
>>
>>82333066
Nice digits

I honestly forgot about it a while ago, ive been playing and buying other games meanwhile, I just hope it comes in before I die
>>
>>82333103
Good luck, the pandemic is about to get worse. A lot worse
>>
>>82306601

Only the Muatt can blow up a planet and it can't be Mecatol Rex.

It's been too long since I've played. Why are the Mahact so fun bros?
>>
been having trouble sleeping
any recs for boring games that will put me to sleep?
>>
>>82333260
scythe
>>
>>82333260
Gloomhaven
>>
>>82332738
Can you elaborate?
>>
>>82333530
On what exactly?
>>
>>82333543
Like why is the game boring to you? Others say its well made and all that?
>>
>>82333260
Terraforming Mars
Talk about taking a billion micro-incremental actions to be able to accomplish nothing.
>>
>>82333051
Ordered mine on september and the ETA is still unknown.
>>
Just bought Inis for 40 euros, which was supposedly a big discount for black friday. Did i do good? What am i in for?
>>
>>82333546
I tought I worded what I don't like quite concisely, but okay. I don't think the game is boring, I merely don't like it, gameplaywise, and could be pushed to say it is bad. There's a plethora of random elements in it, which is partly fine, partly annoying (especially how encounter cards might be an annoyance you ignore or something that utterly ruins you if nobody else spends a turn helping). All of it is super thematic though, which helps quite a bit and certainly is the strongest aspect of the game. Though the writing is quite run-of-the-mill lovecraftian horror and sadly sometimes a bit disjointed or at least the scenario text bits are too short to really paint a complete picture, but at least it doesn't feature 1930's trenchcoat detectives demanding to be adressed as they/them. Actions are very limited, turns often boil down to a very underwhelming "well I guess I'll just use my three actions on searching this place 3 times because doing something useful elsewhere would take like 3 whole turns". Also a big part of the game was exploring the scenario, failing at it because of [unforseeable turn of events upon entering a room, act/agenda cards flipping etc] and then, with your newfound knowledge, aceing it on the next try. The boardgame equivalent of savescumming. The deckbuilding seemed like it was both blown out of proportion and severely underwhelming. Initially, I expected you'd be able to completely personalize your deck only to find out you'll mostly change few useless cards or maybe change 1-2 for actually good ones, and the scenarios I've played were too short to give me a feeling of "this is how my character has developed", but that may be the case just in the scenarios I've played. Plus, you'd need more expansions (and 2 core sets) to really make well-rounded decks. Had to cut a lot off this as it was too long. I can see why people like it, but it is another exploitive business model I don't like.
>>
>>82333180
There is a relic that lets you bombard a planet, but that's more like glassing the surface than blowing it up, iirc
>Why are the Mahact so fun bros?
because you're a sadist
>>
>>82331078
Was a lot of fun and filled a couple of evenings. In retrospect some mechanics could've been better but ultimately it was worth the money.
>>
Is there any sort of /bgg/ list that's better than the shit on BGG?

Obviously I won't like every game some other anon likes but hey.
>>
>>82318675
But villagers is shit
>>
What is the best Lord of the Rings themed game? I want to add one to my collection. Only one I've looked at so far is War of the Ring.
>>
>>82335273
Some howler monkey who can't articulate a coherent idea, much less defend it wants to fling shit instead. What a non-surprise.

<Yawn.jpg>
>>
File: 1612151821177.png (3.16 MB, 1048x3138)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB PNG
>>82335254
Here my collection that got built with a considerable amount of /bgg input/recommendations over the past six years
Would also include the following from other friends collections that have been very well received by our group:
Tulip bubble
Dune
The estates
Tammany Hall
Chinatown
Now Boarding
Profiteers
Antiquity
Bus
Food chain magnate
An infamous traffic
Archipelago
Conquest of Paradise
King of tokyo
Kemet
Blue moon
Mare nostrum
Brass
Tigris and Euphrates
Race for the galaxy
6nimmt
Startups
>>
>>82335331
War of the Ring hands down.
>>
>>82335336
>don't get upgrade first round
>you lose but it takes another hour to conclude

yawn indeed
>>
>>82335376
If you could only keep ten, which ones would you keep?
>>
>>82335391
>>82335331
Only problem with War of the Ring is that it's 2-player only
>>
>>82335486
Pax pamir
Spirit island
Hansa teutonica
Summoner wars (tho second edition improves so many things I really need to consider adding it)
Chaos in the old world
Innovation
Valley of the Kings
Isle of Skye
For sale
Imperial Struggle
But then I'm going to my buddy's house, stabbing him, and making off with Bus, Antiquity, startups, and Tammany hall
>>
File: games.png (85 KB, 473x819)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Picking up anything for black friday /bbg/?
>>
File: pic4420022.jpg (63 KB, 470x630)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>82336723
Bought Yokohama Duel Deluxe from the TMG liquidation sale. I have too much other stuff still waiting to ship and nothing else really looks interesting.
>>
>>82333260
COIN
>>
Does Barrage work with 2p? Also how's Leeghwater Project?
>>
>>82335331
War of the Ring is fantastic, only reason I don't have it is because my girlfriend didn't read Tolkien.

Hunt for the Ring is also good.
>>
So what's wrong with Gloomhaven? I'm not normally a /bgg/ guy or a board game guy at all really but lately I've gotten a bit more interested because health issues prevent me from committing to a regular RPG group. Gloomhaven looks like something I would enjoy but I see people taking potshots at it here and I'm old enough to know that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>82337171
look at the size of that fucking box and you will see
>>
>>82337171
It's the full on definition of style over substance. It has a ton of content, ton of minis, legacy elements, but an absolute trainwreck in upkeep that slows the game way down and the gameplay is gets old quick. Even with the helper app, it's still a slog.

I'd recommend Jaws of the Lion instead -- pretty much the same and perfect amount of content before you get bored.
>>
>>82334203
Have you tried the Lord of the rings LCG? Is that any better?
>>
>>82337603
Guess I need to watch some gameplay videos to see how bad it is. Didn't realize Jaws of the Lion was standalone, though. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>82336723
I want to, but I fucking loathe shopping.
>>
>>82337171
The combat card system is dogshit.
>>
Does /bgg/ play real games like Her I stand and Empire of the Sun, or is it all kiddie bullshit for neets with the attention span of a cat on crack?
>>
>>82338272
how do I find 5 others to play HIS?
>>
>>82338308
Have you tried having friends?
>>
Played a couple games of four player fort. It isn't anything special as a deck builder but it is still charming fun. Then tried out Xanadu which felt like splendor, albeit a bit more chaotic. Not sure how I feel about that one, but at five/ six players it might be more engaging with additional options for resources and making it easier to entice players to up the value of your own buildings.
>>
>ninety-five players talked about board games this week
dead general
>>
>>82338382
Too busy buying more and dusting all the games that haven't even been put on a table.
>>
>>82338485
My groups played almost one unique game for every day of the month. Anons need to apply themselves
>>
>>82338507
Sell me on summoner's wars
>>
How is Uboat?
>>
anyone has played Hexplore It? is it good?
>>
>>82330207
I talked to the designer of Wendake (a eurogame about native American tribes) once and he said that during development the publisher made him add asymmetrical abilities to appeal to more people. The abilities are minor and he prefers to play without them.
>>
>>82336723
Res Arcana with expansions and Wavelength
>>
>>82337171

honestly, most things are wrong with Gloomhaven

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.