[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Redpill me on PbtA. I've seen it around a lot but never really looked into it, and more and more games are using it as a basis.
>>
>>81722026
its bad. I'm too busy tonight to tell you why, but it is. Play anything else. I'm not some system worshipping fag obsessed with telling you that everything but my favourite is terrible, I'm not opposed to story focused or narrative driven games, AW is just the worst game ever made and I don't want you to subject yourself to it.
>>
>>81722026
The original Apocalypse system/game ain't bad if you understand the game and what its trying to do.
All of the Powered by the Apocalypse system shit is 99% failed gamedevs porting Apocalypse's resolution systems and templates to all these different genres while not really understanding what worked well about the original game, and usually bolting on shit that ruins the appeal of the system in the process (i.e., Dungeon World).
>>
File: Simple-World.pdf (340 KB, PDF)
340 KB
340 KB PDF
>>81722026
good for short fast and loose games with good flavor. Bad for long ongoing campaigns, especially if you want combat to be a major focus as combat is very janky and also non-existent. The moves, especially playbook specific ones start out cool but quickly start to feel limiting in a long game, especially the "ask X many questions" ones if you strictly hold them to the suggested ones. Dungeon world is everything bad about PBTA and a lot of what's bad in one box, avoid like the plague. I hear Fellowship is a much nicer PBTA fantasy game but with more "The Unexpected Journey" Tolkien vibe than the usual late medieval murder hobos theme people expect from DND.

tl;dr good for short narrative games with a strong theme, bad for long sandbox games, don't play dungeon world. If you like Apocalypse World this pdf can help you make simple hacks for other themes
>>
File: 1631609208201.jpg (24 KB, 444x691)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
It distills everything good about tabletop and makes it both deep yet easy to understand. It makes campaigns and characters far more interesting and there is zero boring downtime before fun. You will never be bored while rolling dice, any lul in the action is to determine the stakes which makes the outcome that much more satisfying.

People hate it because people who can't roleplay for shit have existed in the hobby since it began. There are people who just want to roll 20 sided dice and would have just as much fun playing pachinko if they lived in Japan, there are those who just want to min max and kill monsters and these players probably enjoyed WoW far more than they've ever enjoyed tabletop, then there are roleplayers who can't get the experience they get from tabletop from anything else.

This is who PtbA is made for.
It's not perfect but it's the best system out there and I doubt it could be any better than it is without it losing it's simplicity which is it's strongest feature because it means normies will actually give it a try.

Find a GM and give it a try, you can watch youtube vidoes to learn the rules and 1 session is all you need to figure out if you like it or not.

Don't listen to what peoole here say about it, how many decent systems have a general on /tg/?
>>
>>81722061
>Apocalypse's resolution systems and templates
Which are?
>>
>>81722109
Outside of buzzwords, you did didn't actually say anything about the system for good or bad. Can you actually explain what works and how it can be done?
>>
>>81722164
Well I'm shit at explaining without using comparisons and I don't know what you've played. Honestly, don't get your info from here, you can just listen to a 20 minute video on a ptba system of your choice.

I agree that dungeon world is a PoS so avoid that one.
>>
>>81722109
So why play PbtA instead of say a FitD game instead?
>>
>>81722213
Jokes on you, blades in the dark is my favourite PtbA
>>
>>81722157
The resolution system (2d6+Modifier, 6 and below Failure, 7-9 Success at cost, 10-12 absolute success) and the format of their templates (general moves, template moves, zero sum modifier distribution, etc).
It'd help if you actually took a look at Apocalypse or a system based on it before trying to enter a conversation on it.
>>
File: 4ea.jpg (52 KB, 800x450)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>81722342
>It'd help if you actually took a look at Apocalypse or a system based on it before trying to enter a conversation on it.
>>
>>81722026
It is a great one shot engine. Sucks ass for long play.

Favorite game for it is Monster of the Week. Which is highly episodic by its very nature, so it works great.
>>
>>81722374
The Dungeon World SRD is literally free online. Sometimes you have to fuck off to lurk more.
>>
>>81722085
>>81722061
Every time I hear this I can't help but feel like I'm in bizarro world. Sure DW isn't the best game ever created, but there's some excellent shit in there, and in most cases each change away from pbta within DW resulted in a much better game. If anything, they should just have gone further and turned it into something closer to an OSR game.

Beyond that, many of the problems with DW are directly grandfathered in from pbta.

- The worst thing about pbta is how pointless its "combat" system is. DW turns it into an actual fun game with tension by using D&D-esque combat, instead of just having it be a vehicle for game design wankery. D&D-style combat is far more open and interesting within the DW framework than it ever was in the "I use full attack" action/phase rules D&D has had.

- Dungeon World takes the pbta focus on starting with the fictional events and then triggering rules in a specific way based on what happens, and turns it into an engine for running excellent theatre of the mind dungeon crawls. Something which in my book hasn't been done before.

Here are some problems it does have:
- DW could use a significant revision in terms of game balance (too many big damage bonuses available) and some rules expansions (the game runs much better if you apply a -1 or -2 penalty for certain particularly difficult actions, even if the rulebook advises against it.)
This is a (regrettable, avoidable,) problem with their implementation of the D&D elements, no related to pbta

- The XP for failure system creates perverse incentives toward trying stuff you'll fail at in "relatively safe" situations, and forces the rules to punish you when you fail even if there is no risk involved (this is obvious when you make a lore roll in your secret sanctum and the DM spawns in some ogres because the rules say something bad has to happen now.)
Part of this exists in pbta, and is a bad thing that pbta fans are still writing big documents trying to cope with.
>>
>>81722026
They're fun, but you'll probably find if you play them regularly for a long time (like a few months) you'll probably start to feel like you've squeezed everything you possibly can out of the system and want something with more depth. That's what happened to me and my friends at least. We started with monster of the week, almost nobody in the group had ever played a tabletop rpg before, and I think it helped them get comfortable with the concept of pretending to be a different person and rolling dice to achieve or fail at things. But after a couple months I eventually suggested we tried d&d and have been playing that ever since.
>>
>>81722537
>The XP for failure system creates perverse incentives toward trying stuff you'll fail at in "relatively safe" situations,
That's a good thing if you have timid/dour players as it encourages them to fuck around early on to set up chaos for later.
>and forces the rules to punish you when you fail even if there is no risk involved (this is obvious when you make a lore roll in your secret sanctum and the DM spawns in some ogres because the rules say something bad has to happen now.)
If the DM can't think of a risk, there's a good chance you shouldn't roll.
>>
>>81722026
Sex moves.
>>
>>81722604
Yea that's generally true for DW's core expectations, but it doesn't work with how the rules triggers are written for Spout lore and Discern realities.
>>
>>81722629
As a DM I'd be tempted to spout some nonsense about "decrepit scholars in dusty towers contribute nothing to Man's knowledge of the world. Discern your realities elsewhere."
>>
>>81722642
Yea well it's still a problem with DW that they could've avoided by not leaning so hard on enforcing the pbta pace of play.

the worst thing about pbta in my book is something that other people like; it completely sacrifices verisimilitude and portraying a meaningful game world, because its core rules are designed to demand that you constantly "fail forward" and keep a breakneck Michael Bay pace at all costs.
This is incidentally a big part of why pbta is garbage for running a long campaign. Everyone goes "wow that was a lot of spectacle" but at the end of the day nobody gives a fuck about the game world or its characters because unlike most other TTRPGs, the ptba games are literally forcing the GM to make certain decisions arbitrarily, which results in games that don't allow characters or the game world itself to feel real/believable or logically consistent. Everything is forced to operate on predictable action movie logic.
>>
at all costs.
This is incidentally a big part of why pbta is garbage for running a long campaign. Everyone goes "wow that was a lot of spectacle" but at the end of the day nobody gives a fuck about the game world or its characters because unlike most other TTRPGs, the ptba games are literally forcing the GM to make certain decisions arbitrarily, which results in games that don't allow characters or the game world itself to feel real/believable or logically consistent.

This is very much a you problem. Everytime I play PbtA, the player characters display their personalities far more as the system heavily encourages and even incentives it. Not only that but they develop and change fast too due to man events happening back to back.

It is action packed and this makes campaigns longer than 20 or so sessions unsuited for it. Failing forward is a non-complaint and no one can ever explain why it's bad. In Blades in the Dark, you fail forward half the time but it takes it's toll fast, and anyone who's played the game right will be more likely to say it's extremely punishing rather than easy. Failing forward doesn't mean shit if you're character is crippled during the course of the run.
>>
>>81722950
Because it harms verisimilitude and makes it very hard to give a shit about the game world
>>
>>81722026
Incredibly restrictive and weird system/design philosophy for GMs who can't control their players.
>rules and mechanics filled to the brim with Whedonspeak and genre in-jokes
>moves make everything samey
>moves restrict freedom
>only good for quick oneshots but there are better systems for that too (Fate)
>strange mix of metagaming and actual roleplaying
>>
>>81722026
The reason PbtA is popular is because it is easy to get into. (2d6+[-3 or +3]Modifier) is a very simple system, unlike say FATE, which requires both close attention to the dice and has weird player action options.
Char-gen is very fast, like REALLY fast, but still feels like you made the character rather then being handed a pre-gen.
Combat is fast, because it is 1 roll and then resolve (unless a player is suicidal).

These are the aspects that PbtA games try to adopt while also trying to fix Apocalypse World's 'problems'. whether this works varies from game to game.
>>
>>81722696
>the ptba games are literally forcing the GM to make certain decisions arbitrarily, which results in games that don't allow characters or the game world itself to feel real/believable or logically consistent. Everything is forced to operate on predictable action movie logic.
If your DM is crap, maybe. Between efficient prep and a modicum of smarts, this problem becomes a non-issue. The DM just has to make consistent choices, which is not difficult if you understand the characters/faction/location involved.
>>
>>81722109
>Don't listen to what *people* (retard) here say about it
Okay, I won't listen to you.
>>
>>81722537
I just don’t get why they make you use traditional DND attribute scores when everything is -3 to +3, so you only ever use derived scores. I also don’t get when actual DND does this anymore.
>>
>>81722537
>The XP for failure system creates perverse incentives toward trying stuff you'll fail at in "relatively safe" situations, and forces the rules to punish you when you fail even if there is no risk involved (this is obvious when you make a lore roll in your secret sanctum and the DM spawns in some ogres because the rules say something bad has to happen now.)

So, you don't actually understand how to run/play pbta?
>>
>>81723034
How?
>>
>>81722537
See this is where I feel like DW completely misses the whole point of Apocalypse. A die roll in Apocalypse is not a single shot at a single enemy, it's an entire endeavor to confront/subdue/escape a threat. The beauty of Apocalypse is that scale, because we're abstracting that shit even further, we can conceivably play as a whole party of people or over the course of months in a few moments.
DW completely misunderstands that strength by zooming back in to literal moment by moment blows with a single enemy, and ends up just being D&D but evem swingier feeling (since the average roll will always produce "you do what you wanted, but a problem persists" type shit). The resolution system is the absolute worst fit for a game where timescale is that small.
>>
>>81722026
>PbtA
One of the top 5 worst RPGs I've ever read.
>>
>>81722109
>It distills everything good about tabletop
lolololol
>>
>>81725815
Because there is no game world. There is only the narrative world.
>>
>>81725927
What the fuck do you mean by this?
>>
>>81723034
>>81725927
I disagree with this. The GM can set firm guidelines for what is and isn't possible in the game setting through the moves.
Take pic related for example. Each one clearly defines a different type of magic system and what's possible within the logical framework of the setting.
You can't, say, call the unspeakable suffering without first choosing a price, or say that you're going to do things with it that can't be done unless you can first justify it to the GM through logically consistent actions that align with how it's previously stated to function.

If anything the PbtA move system helps reinforce Verisimilitude since it establishes the general principles of the setting and how things work in it rather than everything being granular.
If I say to you 'A mage can throw a fireball' then that doesn't tell you shit about why the setting works or why it's 'real', If I say that your character has the move
>Bound to the Inferius Regis, the Glory of the Second Sun: This character has the 'Pyros' stat which can be used for any action involving burning things, representing the tiny demons they can call up as part of their oath-bond
That tells you exactly how the character does what he does and lets you get creative. You could ask me what the demons can do, if they can act of their own will, what they look like, ect.
How you then apply that is where it gets interesting since it's not 'Firebol, does 3d6 Flammerwaffer, no I don't know how it interacts with the rest of the world, it just does damage, shut your whore mouth', it's 'Right I know I can call up these asshole imps, can I send one into the barn to try and set a horses hay on fire to distract people while I sneak off?'
>>
>>81725851
You're on the wrong website.
Go straight to Reddit
>>
Maybe I play pbta wrong but I've never had any of the problems that people ITT complain about.
>>
>>81726243
Basically the tl;dr is - Establishing why things can be done and the logical framework surrounding the act establishes stakes and helps make it clear why characters can do what they can do and just as importantly what they can't do by implication. Just establishing that they can do it doesn't since if you don't understand the rules surrounding it you can just keep bringing in new abilities and go 'Yeah it can do that too'.
>>
>>81726393
I think a lot of peoples complaints about the system are based on a bad reading of the rules and white rook theory crafting, for example the "just roll and fail at low risk things to gain infinite xp" complaint that gets leveled at DW.

It doesn't help that *most* pbta books are pretty terribad hacks that don't understand the game beyond the core dice mechanics and playbooks.
>>
>>81726672
>bad reading of the rules and white room theorycrafting
Well it is /tg/ after all
>>
>>81726401
>Establishing why things can be done and the logical framework surrounding the act establishes stakes and helps make it clear why characters can do what they can do and just as importantly what they can't do by implication. Just establishing that they can do it doesn't since if you don't understand the rules surrounding it you can just keep bringing in new abilities and go 'Yeah it can do that too'.
So Old Star Wars vs New Star Wars basically? Where Old Star Wars had general rules and principles on what the force was while the new one is just 'Yeah it can do that too'
>>
>>81722026
I've played some Dungeon World and a long, epic campaign of Monster of the Week and IMO PbtA has it's pros and cons but overall I like it as a system. It's certainly not my favorite RPG system, but it has some really good elements to it.
I like how easy it is to get a game going; you can literally give your players like five minutes notice before starting a new campaign and all they need to do is download a playbook and they're good to go.
But the system really does fall apart when you try to run a campaign for longer than like 3-4 months. The system's flaws become really apparent and the PCs get overpowered really quickly.
But it's a really good system for newcomers to TTRPGs.
>>
I ran Escape from Dino Island, a Jurassic Park oneshot system, and I quite enjoyed it. I don't know how much of it was introduced in Apocalypse and how much was added in the setting, but it made keeping track of what players can and can't do and how to decide outcomes very easy. I can tell it doesn't have the staying power of the usual suspects, but the fact that people from so many different interests can adapt the core system into something that lets them tell stories of any genre speaks to its robustness and adaptability. I think /tg/ mostly gets mad about it because of the type of people making spinoff using PbtA, but that's not the tool's fault.
>>
>>81725807
> So, you don't actually understand how to run/play pbta?
It’s clear that anon understands actual play far more than you do. Your stunning rebuttal makes that obvious. You should be ashamed.
>>
>>81728013
>gives an example that, RAW, doesn't come up
>gets called out on it
>n-no, u!

K
>>
File: Quickstart_Rules.pdf (781 KB, PDF)
781 KB
781 KB PDF
I don't know much about PbtA, and have neither played nor watched games that use it, but I've taken interest into this project recently, and at least to me, it feels like combat is an afterthought. I get that in the original series, the battles were more about the clashing of philosophies and the personal development of each character... But that's not what I want from an AtlA system. I want to do cool bending shit, and see my players doing cool bending shit as well, not have to worry about "balance" and character development.
Am I right to worry that this will be the case when I run it for my group? Or am I not seeing something or other about the rules, and I can run a combat-heavy game without any trouble?
>>
>>81722039
fbpb, it's for fags and it's shit is all retarded.
>>
File: FBIRaKMXEAYYh87.png (75 KB, 812x1022)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>81722026
(generally) 2d6, 6- is bad, 7-9 is partial success, 10+ is success. different games handle dice various ways, see pic
>>
>>81722026
Honestly I'd say take a couple points from it and apply them as house rules to more robust systems over playing it as-is. Specifically, I like the multiple success levels (failure, mixed success, success, success+boon), the idea of forwards (some beneficial actions will give you a bonus you can spend on getting more information, doing cooler stuff, or you can save them to add to a roll before rolling in order to gain an edge when you need it), and the idea of a Luck mechanic, which PBTA basically uses as a non-replenishing pool of drama dice/get out of jail free cards.

PBTA appeals to people who think they're "just better roleplayers" since it requires more talking out what you do instead of "I roll [skill/talent/etc] what happens" but honestly you can and should roleplay in any game, all it does is remove the crutch from players who have weak, undisciplined GMs who can't say "I didn't tell you to roll anything, I asked you what your character is trying to do". You should only use PBTA if you're a socially weak person who can't assert yourself this way as a GM. Even other rules-light systems do their job better than PBTA.

The other thing that's sour about PBTA is that it sucks for anyone who wants to use combat in games regularly. Most PBTA fanboys will argue some cringey shit about "well maybe you shouldn't solve all your problems violently" or whatever but combat systems, whether physical violence or the social combat of less violent games, are the core of what most people go into RPGs to play with and having a weak one is a bad sell unless your game is VERY good at another area of gameplay and has high quality mechanics for working with it. PBTA does not have a robust system for exploration and orienteering, building and strengthening social connections, investigating mysteries and assembling clues and resources, a complex and interesting magic system, or anything of the sort.
>>
File: 1574827652713.jpg (30 KB, 584x536)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
So Anons, in your personal opinion, what are some actually good PbtA hacks?

I recall reading a still in-dev version of 6 Billion Demons RPG (whatever it was called) and it was pretty good. The Sprawl and Running in New Orleans were alright too, mostly because cyberpunk is my jam, but I don't remember which one I liked more in the end.
>>
>>81728514
As a final followup, characters in PBTA are supposedly able to be highly varied and versatile, but in pretty much every module I've played in (MOTW, Monster Hearts, a couple others I can't recall by name) the templates you use for building characters shoehorn a lot of details that would effectively require you to make the choice between playing a very specific kind of trope or justifying why your character has a bunch of traits completely out of line with their concept. If anything it demonstrates the idea of the illusion of choice, where you think you're creating a unique and interesting person but the circumstances of character creation mechanics have forced you to be the off-brand version of someone else's idea. This is fine if you're making pregens for people to jump into or you're not really interested in making complex people so much as slapping some art of your OC onto a stock personality, but if you're interested in making a whole-ass person you're gonna feel restricted by what you're allowed to do with them.
>>
>>81728600
I mean, MOTW is "tropes: the game," and I think that's why it's one of the better ones. It leans hard into pretty specific genre clichés, and but its upfront about that, and it seems to work.
>>
>>81728540
Masks and Blades in the Dark.
>>
>>81722026
Fiction-first game with a small number of stats, no ancillary skills, and a variety of class moves that supplement the main actions you can roll to take. I think the primary issues with it are 1) XP generation, which tends to pigeonhole you into a particular archetype without allowing for more interesting variations on the core trope (and happens way too frequently) 2) inflated HP compared to your enemies; fixed by Baker in Fallen Empires 3) too much player control over the environment. Taking some things out of the GM’s hands makes for less work and a more interesting emergent narrative, but those elements should be randomized rather than handed to the players.
I’ve played a few PbtAs and run one. The one I ran was pretty fun, and my players seem to like it. The ones I played in were alright, but if your GM is too forgiving, the sense of tension and the stakes will be lost very easily.
I think the key to making them work is counteracting the system’s tendency to allow player asspulls. Restrict those to the weird moves, and make sure everything but an unmitigated success punishes them for rolling. There are a lot of mechanical outs for death, so don’t be afraid to kill them if they’ve fucked up badly enough.
>>
I greatly prefer Blades in the Dark. Even calling it PbtA is stretching it though. Inspired by the Apocalypse, sure, but there are so many significant differences that Forged in the Dark deserves its separate name from Powered by the Apocalypse.
>>
File: ho0sQu9?r.jpg (271 KB, 813x1300)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>81722026
Is Heroines of the First Age any good, either mechanically or setting/plot wise?
>>
>>81722537
>- The XP for failure system creates perverse incentives toward trying stuff you'll fail at in "relatively safe" situations, and forces the rules to punish you when you fail even if there is no risk involved
You don't roll if there isn't a risk
>>
PbtA systems are unique compared to traditional systems in how they make the GM use his own kinds of moves (Apocalypse World also says the GM doesn't roll, but that's not a core part of PbtA according to the designer).
The GM moves are very helpful for new and indecisive/insecure GMs, but if you're good at deciding on consequences and improvising a story as the GM you don't need the moves as the guidelines they're intended to be. Yes, they are vague enough to not restrain you much, but thinking in their terms still requires abstraction and takes you out of the moment.
>>
>>81722537
>- The XP for failure system creates perverse incentives toward trying stuff you'll fail at in "relatively safe" situations, and forces the rules to punish you when you fail even if there is no risk involved (this is obvious when you make a lore roll in your secret sanctum and the DM spawns in some ogres because the rules say something bad has to happen now.)
>t. has never played PbtA
'So I want to go into my fortress of solitude and play ball with myself until I fuck up'
"Alright you do that."
'What do I roll?'
"Nothing there's no risk involved and nothing interesting can come out of you fucking it up."
Done, simple.
>>
>>81728198
If you like combat for the mechanics and gameplay rather than the narrative, you should definitely try your own or someone else's AtlA homebrew/hack. The PbtA-based version lets you describe all the cool bending shit you want to do, but it's not anchored to anything but the generic dice mechanic and the (still pretty generic, especially in their consequences) moves you use.
>>
I think everyone should run PBTA a couple times. Even if you don't like the system it will reach you good GMing practices you can use with a more traditional set of rules. PBTA books also like to explain their design goals and how mechanics fit into those goals, so even if the rules set ends up failing those goals it will give you a better idea of how to meet your own goals when running a game.
>>
Wasn't their some epic lolcow falling out between Chad underkoffler and Jim Butcher? Or was it the guy that had a Dresden files podcast that hyped the RPG for a year and then it took forever to come out,?
>>
>>81730358
Yes, but this is /tg/ and not kiwifarms. Between the Arcadum shit and Critical Role's earnings making people upset, we have had more than enough "celebrity" drama recently.
>>
>>81723127
>>rules and mechanics filled to the brim with Whedonspeak and genre in-jokes
ew, yikes
We should have put down all Whedonites years ago, it's the merciful thing to do.
>>
>>81722026
It's a shitty 'narrative' Forge game made by that hack Vincent Baker. Like all shitty Forge games it is a one trick pony meant to 'tell stories' NOT to be a role playing game.
tldr, Forge a shit, everything it touch a shit.
>>
>>81730380
I just want a QRD. But I'll admit that I appear to have confused PbtA with whatever publisher handled the Dresden files RPG.
Can I at least get a QRD on where the Dresden Files is now? Last I remember the stakes had been really ratcheted up with some fallen angels(?) being unleashed and I think having Michaels sword while he's in the hospital, and Butcher getting good to the point of parody of swinging quickly from sickening tension to absolute triumph.
>>
File: capture-2.png (853 KB, 1200x706)
853 KB
853 KB PNG
>>81722026
What would you recommend when using the raw PbtA framework to create a game for a specific setting? Are there any documents in particular that can help with this?
>>
>>81732664
Steal liberally from your favorite systems. I personally give a pitch on the setting and start of the story then ask my players what characters they want to play and then write playbooks for them but that's a lot of work to do each time.
>>
>>81730033
VDB (I think) would say that blades in the dark is more of a pbta game than some of its more direct clones, because it isn't just copying the surface level signifiers like playbooks, or 2d6 resolution, or fail/success with cost/full success, but actually follows a lot of the underlying design principles (play to find out, narrative positioning, letting the story flow logically and only using the rules when absolutely necessary.) I'm pretty certain you could play a FitD game without ever rolling dice, just using the stress mechanics, the same way you could probably run a pbta game diceless, just relying on common sense and the player and mc agendas.
>>
>>81722026
How does Masks rate as a supers game?
>>
>>81728540
Crush the Rebellion looks pretty neat.
Uncharted World could be good, the combat seems a bit off on first reading but I still want to give it a try and see if the Traveller vibe can work.
>>
>>81730117
That’s that monster girl game, right? Got any more art for it?
>>
>>81723034
>harms verisimilitude
in a game of play pretend?
>>
>>81722109
>People hate it because people who can't roleplay for shit have existed in the hobby since it began.

How far up your own ass do you keep your head on any given day?
>>
>>81728540
>The Sprawl
sauce plz
>>
>>81736573
looks like he hit a nerve kek
>>
nice thread
i'll give it a try desu
>>
>>81728540
Agon, throws out the stupid moves and playbooks, keeps the rolls-heroic fiction treadmill running smooth.
>>
>>81730117
The setting books are decent reads - there's a "monster refugees arrive on Earth through portals" one, and an interesting fantasy setting of a crumbling post-post-apoc world being destroyed by the shortsightedness of its saviour goddess.

The monstergirl/monogender stuff barely matters to either.
>>
>>81722026
Simple: PbtA is a rules light game. If you want a detailed simulationistic combat engine with lots of depth and options and rules, you'll hate PbtA. If you want something more mechanically light and streamlined, you might like PbtA. It's quality is purely a matter of opinion.

That said, I'll throw out two caveats: 1) not all PbtA games are equally good, 2) I do find the Playbooks provide a fast, easy way to create characters and give players (most of) the rules they'll need.
>>
>>81722109
Fantasy baitpost, bravo
>>
>>81734340
I dont understand why anyone would ever play uncharted worlds for the "traveller vibe" when traveller already exists, and is arguably less complicated than a pbta game.

Uncharted Worlds is probably the shining example of "absolutely missed the fucking point" of pbta games.
>>
>>81734177
Its more focused on teenagers facing an identity crisis than their superpowers. As stated in this thread, pbta is a heavily narrative focused game so its a given that the nitty gritty of super powers and combat isnt fleshed out. However, if you like capeshit without emotional baggage, Masks is not for you nor is any pbta system since pbta revolves around making and resolving drama.
>>
>>81738591
>a crumbling post-post-apoc world being destroyed by the shortsightedness of its saviour goddess.
Neat. More details please.
>>
PbtA is more about telling a story about your character than roleplaying the character because many moves basically force you to metagame (pick between options to decide what happens to your character) or let you make up facts about the setting as if you were creating it.
Some love it, some don't. It definitely isn't your classic roleplaying experience. You could say it's not about playing a role in the strict sense, but that's the term we use nowadays.
>>
>>81728540
The shitpost of a hack I'll work on someday, also known as Racial Holy War PBTA
>>
>>81737696
>Agon
That sounds like a Pokémon name.
>>
File: 1564954331750.png (943 KB, 634x623)
943 KB
943 KB PNG
>>81745180
Oh boy, I'm hyped. What's the release date?
>>
>>81749518
Around the time I get off my ass and make a thread about it.
>>
>>81749667
So never then? Good to know. XD
>>
>>81749518
Wow, that takes me back. I haven't thought about that show in forever.
>>
File: Danny Phantom by Berks.jpg (132 KB, 835x900)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>81722026
Would PbtA be good for a Danny Phantom game?
>>
>>81757508
Masks.
>>
Anybody play Hogwarts RPG?

The loose nature of the wizarding world seems perfect for a PbtA game.
>>
If you want to do a dramatic game set in apocalyptic world, AW is awesome. Imho at least.Every other PbtA game is dogshit.
>>
>>81722537
>- The worst thing about pbta is how pointless its "combat" system is.
You're so fucking stupid. the AW combat system is so much more flavorful and interesting than Dungeon World's it isn't even a comparison.
>- Dungeon World takes the pbta focus on starting with the fictional events and then triggering rules in a specific way based on what happens, and turns it into an engine for running excellent theatre of the mind dungeon crawls.
Literally nothing exists here.
>Part of this exists in pbta, and is a bad thing that pbta fans are still writing big documents trying to cope with.
Lmao, AW 2e is basically flawless. The stupid "lol you can't die" rules is the worst part of the system honestly.
>>
>>81736494
Look up what verisimilitude is you fucking idiot.
>>
File: oTezfl.jpg (324 KB, 630x500)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>81722026
Have you ever homebrewed something for PbtA?
>>
>>81758563
That would imply that he has the brainpower to do that. Pretty sure that he doesn’t.
>>
>>81758317
>AW 2e is basically flawless.
False. It added a bunch of cruft rules that get in the way. Especially for combat.
>The stupid "lol you can't die" rules is the worst part of the system honestly.
This is true though.
2n ed is trash. Probably towards how most people play it anyway as an action super hero drama rather than a violent weird world, but it still sucks.
>>
>>81762174
>verisimilitude
>The appearance of being true or real
There, I did what he couldn't.
>>
>>81766900
See, was that so difficult? You’re a good anon, he isn’t.
>>
>>81722039
first post is a pretty good post
>I'm not opposed to story focused or narrative driven games, AW is just the worst game ever made
This is generally how I feel about any game labeled "PbtA"
>>
>>81722026
Play risus instead.
>>
>>81771412
>risus
Why that game?
>>
>>81758246
Been wanting to run a Wizarding World game, but don't like the rules for Kids on Brooms. This looks cool. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>81727690
Yeah, progression over the long term seems really tough.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.