[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: weapons.jpg (175 KB, 2000x2000)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Armoury edition

>UA: Travelers of the Multiverse
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_TravelersoftheMultiverse.pdf

>Resources:
https://5e.tools/
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
The Trove is now a torrent. SEED PLEASE bit<dot>ly/2Y1w4Md

Previous thread: >>81717675

Which weapon do you find yourself using most often?
>>
>>81721839
big fan of glaives and spears
>>
>>81721839
>tq
the humble halberd
>>
Is it possible to get information on the other planes from somewhere in Waterdeep? Specifically the elemental ones.
>>
>>81721839
Is there anything more iconic than the hero with the legendary longsword?
>>
File: 1610366938409.png (1.82 MB, 640x1375)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB PNG
>>81721899

In dnd? scimitar
>>
>>81721839
The humble halberd
AKA the can opener
>>
File: aira-cousland-oscar.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1288)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>81721899
The bastard sword comes close
>>
>>81721899
A monkey with a quarterstaff
>>
Has Fizban’s been leaked? I want to read it but I don’t want to wait until Tuesday.
>>
>>81721839
Depends. Usually each character I play has a signature weapon. My battlesmith it's a greatsword he took from a planetar he killed and made into a +2, My barb it's his brother's great axe +1, my sword bard it's her mind blade shortsword from her days as a mind flayer thrall, usually paired with the spell shadow blade. If I had to pick one I want to use the most, it's probably a great sword though
>>
File: Bugbear Spearhunter.jpg (61 KB, 804x708)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>81721839
TQ: Polearms
>>
>halflings are just very small humans with pointed ears and strong hearts
>gnomes always look like either children or very very old men and women, there is no inbetween
>>
Restating question:
I'm playing a hexblade warlock that just hit level 3 and I had the idea to cast darkness on my pact weapon for constant unseen attacker advantage/disadvantage during combat (I have devil's sight to see through magic darkness). If I cast darkness on my pact weapon, set it down and move, and then dismiss it so I can resummon it into my hand with an action, does the darkness spell get cancelled or would it still be active even after the weapon is put into an extra dimensional space and taken back out? If this cancels darkness outright, then would I be correct in assuming that I can just lay the weapon down, walk away, and use an action to summon my pact weapon without having to dismiss it first as a sort of "instant teleportation" to my hand?
Also, now that I'm thinking about it more, the hexblade warrior feature states "touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property". Can versatile weapons like the longsword still be used with that feature since they are, strictly speaking, lacking the two-handed property even if you can use them two-handed for the versatile property? Is there any restriction to those like not being able to use them two-handed, or are they completely fair to use since the feature only cares about the "two-handed" property?
>>
am i/my table misinterpretting sharpshooter or is it completely normal for the ranger to do like 40 damage at lvl 5
>>
>>81722027
>If I cast darkness on my pact weapon, set it down and move, and then dismiss it so I can resummon it into my hand with an action, does the darkness spell get cancelled or would it still be active even after the weapon is put into an extra dimensional space and taken back out?
Only a magic weapon that you've transformed into your pact weapon gets put into an extradimensional space, but yes that strategy would work. If you haven't done that, then the weapon is basically unmade until you conjure another weapon, so the darkness would fade.
>Can versatile weapons like the longsword still be used with that feature
Yes.
>>
>>81722088
I mean

>(1d8+2d6+3+10) x 2

with really good rolls? maybe
>>
>>81722136
really good rolls? anon the average damage per round there is 49
>>
>>81722182
jesus that means the rangers been rolling pretty poorly
>>
>>81722192
Provided each attack hits, that is
>>
>>81722182
>>81722192

oh wait

2d8+3d6+6+20 is more accurate, since most ranger damage feature are once per turn
>>
>>81722088
Sharpshooter is one of the strongest options in the game next to blasting with spells.
>>
>>81722088
>two attacks at d8+(3 or 4)+10, average of 18.5 per hit, before getting into hunter's mark or any subclass features
Yes, assuming they actually hit everything. A -5 is pretty significant though, and even with archery style that should mean they're basically only adding Dexterity to hit, since a +2 from archery and a +3 proficiency bonus it only just cancels out the -5.
>>
>>81722088
What does this have to do with ranger specifically and not anyone using a bow and sharpshooter?
>>
>>81722237
The reputation that Rangers are bad and don't do shit for damage
>>
>>81722237
fighter would do it better
>>
Someone give me 1 good reason to play Fighter over Paladin.
>>
>>81722262
More ASIs
Not being anyone's bitch
>>
>>81722262
ASI + 1
ranged options
>>
>>81722262
Action Surge feels better than smiting. You get it back on a short rest too.
>>
I had to agree to accept a bribe from Slavers or else they'd kill innocent people, we now have a chest of 20k GP and they gave me a slave servant. How do I fix this?
>>
>>81722243
But they are bad at doing damage
The example given has a very specific set of parameters that leaves like 90% of the class invalidated
>>
Did we get any statblocks from the various Fizban's previews aside from the Aspects?
>>
>>81722270
>don't have to worship gods anymore
I'm my own bitch
>>
>>81722270
>>81722275
>>81722283
Not good reasons.
>>
I want to make a fiend warlock with all the Chain Pact invocations who I'd roleplay as primarily taking through their Imp minion. What would be an interesting race/background for character like this?
>>
>>81722315
Echo Knight, Psi Knight, and Battlemaster can turn the battlefield into their playground.
>>
>>81722315
Cooler subclasses?

>>81722299
Release the slave and put the money to work undoing the slavers and their business.
>>
>>81722318
Plasmoid, live inside of it.
>>
>>81722320
>Martial Cope: The Post
>>
>>81722318
Kenku seems like a good choice for actually needing to speak through their familiar, though Warforged could be a good choice if they're trying to hide their construct nature.
Maybe Plasmoid if you want to say they don't have a mouth, or a Reborn who was brought back with a sown together mouth or something.
>>
>>81722334
Caster Seethe: the shitpost
>>
>>81722322
I tried that, but since I fucking treated him like an actual person. He is sticking to me like glue. The DM described him as "a dog who was beaten into obedience".

Don't worry, we're gonna use this money to fucking BURN those two pigfolk bastards.
>>
>>81722315
Why are they not good reasons?
>>
>>81722351
>I tried that, but since I fucking treated him like an actual person. He is sticking to me like glue.
Eh, that's fine. He'll come around eventually, but for now he's your responsibility. Bonus son.
>>
>>81722353
Because he's not actually asking, he's a paladin simp who wanted to start shit.
>>
>>81722351
Turn that boy into a warrior sidekick. He'll get the taste for adventure and run off on his own sooner or later.
>>
has advanced 5e been leaked yet?
>>
>>81722373
No, the only thing that leaked was your brains out of your ear as you made this post. Did you just roll in from stupid town?
>>
>>81722373
It's three years out, so no. Honestly, they'll probably do UA style playtests so don't worry about missing it.
>>
>>81722363
>>81722372
I guess I'll try. The session ended with me actually screaming in frustration for him to sleep inside instead of outside like he was used to.
>>
>>81722340
Ooh, that Kenku actually seems like a fun character concept. Someone who made a pact with a devil in order to be able to speak (sort of). And with Fly also being on the warlock spell list, it could be seen as further working with the devil to overcome the Kenku race's other limitations. It might even rely on it's patron for ideas and inspiration, since Kenku can't create new things on their own.

He'd be breaking every rule the Kenku have by cheating the system.
>>
>>81722394
Have him cuddle you in the nude, like true roman warriors did.
>>
>>81722399
My DM does custom subraces and one of the kenku ones is cursebreaker, so glad I don't have to deal with that bird autism stuff vanilla kenkus deal with.

The other kenku subrace are samurai focused so I wasn't interested.
>>
The new minsc and boo book apparently has rules on lichdom. Can anyone post them?
>>
>>81722351

>Slave, I need you to do me a favor. Take this bag of 100gp and purchase a room and board for myself and my compatriots. We require an alabi for the next few weeks and you will be staying there in the meantime, we'll return here again in two weeks time.

Then tell the Innkeeper you're leaving the slave to him and heading to the town over. Then go the opposite way.

Then, when the slave non-magically tracks you down in record time, ask the DM how he tracked you.

>We had 2 weeks head start
>he has no contacts and no means of tracking us
>the only lead he had told him to go in the opposite direction giving us a greater head start
>>
File: 4e_artificer.jpg (133 KB, 635x823)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>playing artichron
>get +1 all purpose tool
Other than to overcome a regeneration type effect, what cantrips do I want to use for various effects?
>>
>>81722466
Eldritch Blast! Shape Water! Mold Earth!
You have the sonic screwdriver now, dude.
You're now the grumpy, scottish version of the doctor.
>>
File: lichdom.png (418 KB, 351x850)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>>81722418
>>
>>81722353
Because they don't make the Fighter better.
>>
>want genielock for the features
>don't give a fuck about genies or the genie subclass flavor
what do?
>>
>>81722494
Say it's a primordial elemental who's your patron instead of a genie.
You'll never get to the level where you get wish so it doesn't matter, all you gotta do is fluff the vessel in a cool way now.
>>
>>81722494
Reflavor to Primordial Elemental instead of genie.
>>
>>81722494
Play vidya game you fucking munchkin.
>>
>>81721839
I've always been a shortbow kinda guy
>>
>>81722494
Your character's in it for the powers obtained, they don't have to give a shit about who they bargained them from.
>>
>>81721839
Longsword/Broadsword/Bastardsword is my jam, though I think only one of the characters I've played has ever managed to actually use one for any reasonable length of time.
>>
>>81722007
Not my Gnome
>>
>>81722580
>posts very old gnome
Yes, and?
>>
>>81722306
>>
what's the ideal party composition
>>
>>81722612
All dwarves. Class doesn't matter, brotherhood will overpower all foes.
>>
>>81722587
In lore Gnomes gray very young despite living 200+ years. I edited it to reflect that.
>>
>>81722612
Dance music
>>
>>81722612
one of every subclass.
>>
>>81722612
Human Fighter or Rogue
Dwarf Fighter
Half-Orc Barbarian
Elf Rogue or Wizard
>>
File: file.png (750 KB, 933x522)
750 KB
750 KB PNG
Using these weapons as a basis, what are some cool magic items I can give to a sweet science pugilist and a sun soul monk?
>>
>>81722649
That's complete trash. Wouldn't make it past level 2 in any of my campaigns.
>>
>>81722654
>science pugilist
Some sort of artificer I'm guessing? Either way, can't go wrong with a pile bunker.
>sun soul monk
Give em something that smites. Charge it up by dealing damage with their spell attacks and then unleash it in melee
>>
>>81722668
Imagine bragging that your campaign won't get past 2nd level because you can't balance challenges correctly.
>>
>>81722654
A brass knuckle that can embed magnetic studs from along its knuckles into a creature it hits, granting advantage to the pugilist's swings until they successfully hit, at which point it deals an additional die of damage.
A katar that can be shoved farther into a creature that has been hit with it using a bonus action, automatically dealing an additional die of weapon damage as well as forcing them to succeed on a Constitution saving throw or start bleeding, taking necrotic damage at the end of each turn until the wound is staunched.
A set of knuckle knives that can launch their blades at a distant opponent as though they were slashing damage magic missiles that automagically hit.
>>
File: 1532341013022.pdf (7.18 MB, PDF)
7.18 MB
7.18 MB PDF
>>81722671
Specific thing, pugilist is a homebrew class I like.

Dig the idea of a smite thing though, charging on radiant bolts is nice.
Sweet Science is the boxing focused subclass of pugilist, which is a strength based monk. A pilebunker would be rad, though. I'm imagining some brassy dwarven thing.
>>
>>81722688
Good party compositions don't have much trouble with it.
>>
>>81722693
Pugilist is good, I had a lot of fun playing one but the DM couldn't handle me grappling the enemies he sent. This was largely his fault, he'd have only one to two enemies to fight the party so I was able to grapple both enemies while the rest of the party wailed on them
>>
>>81722690
That first sounds amazing, but mainly because their main gimmick is giving themselves disadvantage to max their damage dice.
Katar I might steal for pilebunker mechanics.
The knuckle knives are sick, in my mind it looks really cool. I was thinking something like, they let you sub out attacks for the magic-missile like effect at 30 foot range but slashing damage.
>>
>>81722697
Yep. And all you're telling me is they you're so bad at DMing your game falls apart if the players didn't pick the right classes.
>>
>>81722722
People can beat your campaigns no matter what they do? Sounds boring.
>>
>>81722693
Ah. In that case maybe something like a dancing sword, but a pair of punching weapons? Add the three and the four to the one-two punch and all that.
>>
>>81722668
Sleeping soundly tonight knowing I’ll never play your shit games lol
>>
File: file.png (655 KB, 960x500)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
>>81722735
I like the way you think.
>>
>>81722668
Bait or is there a reason? Seems like a classic, generic party but swapped out the Halfling Rogue for a Orc Barbarian
>>
>>81722466
Honestly, you're best leaving that part of it unused until you need it. Having just the right cantrip at just the right time really turns you into a swiss army knife like nothing else.
Eldritch blast and Mind sliver are my two favorite damaging cantrips to bust out. I've used gust to reveal the covered sections of a puzzle, control flame to help put out our burning ship, honestly, sky is the limit.
>>
File: Primal Party 4E.jpg (353 KB, 1316x1709)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>81722612
Controller, Defender, Leader, Striker (nova), Striker (AoE).
>>
>>81722748
The classic party is shit though. I've never seen it work well.
>>
>>81722759
The ideal 4e party is all strikers.
>>
>>81722728
I allow the possibility for characters to get past 2nd level. I also allow the possibility for characters to die before they get to 2nd level.
I don't know how you could possibly be struggling this hard with this.
>>
>>81722748
If you look at it, it's actually
>Fighter, Barbarian, Wizard, Fighter/Rogue
which means there isn't any sort of healer like a cleric.
That guy is still baiting though, unless he really is too retarded to run a game without making a healer mandatory.
>>
>>81722767
>4e (...) all strikers
>dies to 100 minions
>>
I'm gonna design a subrace for plasmoid for awakened spells, with the logic being the old 3.5 sentient spell with awaken ooze spell. Other than the 'engulf-spell-effect' racial ability what else should I give them. Anything the base race is missing? I run high power games so I'm not too worried about balance.
>>
File: file.png (334 KB, 500x500)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
Why do we hate gnomes again?
>>
File: dwarven warrior.jpg (117 KB, 480x270)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
This is how I Dorf.
>>
>>81722823
What i liked about 4e was the HP, iirc you got cons score +class on first level then it was a small fixed bonus per level right? it's better than the inflated hp we have in 3e and 5e.
>>
>>81722903
Yeah. Con only impacts your starting health in 4e. And while you do start with a bigger health pool, in the long run that makes Con less of a mandatory stat, since eventually the difference between starting with 8 or 18 health is a really small portion of the pool.
>>
>>81722924
Oh and healing surges, i liked how it affected our dungeon crawl in 4e.
>>
>>81722944
Healing surges basically stayed in the form of short rest hit dice shenanigans. Though not many things can use that in battle.
>>
Most things wrong with 5e are things 4e did right
>>
>>81722759
"Leader" is a useless classification of role because any other role can also be leader
>>
>>81722967
Leader is ally-focused support/control.
>>
>>81722959
Not him, but surges and hit dice don't quite fulfill the same function. A big thing with 4e was that most sources of healing simply allowed you to use your reserve of healing surges. A cleric casting healing word on you would just let you spend a surge with a bonus.
This distinction means that regardless of how much healing magic or potions you pack in a day, there is an upper limit to the amount of healing you can actually receive.

This plays surprisingly well into D&D's focus on resource management
>>
>>81722243
You know you can look at the ranger and fighter classes and see that there's not any difference in damage features from levels 1-5 and if anything the ranger has an advantage because action surge is only one attack until level 5.

Fighters heavily outperform them when using things like precision attack as a battlemaster with Sharpshooter and at level 11 they are outright better since they get a third attack every single round that rangers don't.

A ranger with archery fighting style and sharpshooter is going to do fine damage, period.
>>
Any viable ways to AC tank?
>>
>>81722988
Eldritch Knight. War Magic Wizard. Tortle Kensei.
>>
>>81721839
The flanged mace for me. I’ll also take a maul if you’re offering.

Really, any blunt weapon.
>>
>>81722992
And what about them?
>>
>>81722987
>You know you can look at the-

That is the idea behind the post, anon. They aren't looking, they are going purelyoff reputation.
>>
>>81722996
viable ways to AC tank?
>>
>>81722988
Warforged Battle Smith Artificer.
>>
>>81722988
Yes, increase your AC

Artificer does it very very well.
>>
>>81722999
How?
>>
>>81723008
They can achieve high AC in a game with bounded accuracy.
>>
>>81722988
EK and Battlesmith is pretty effective at it, simply due to the naturally high AC of a heavy armor combined with Shield spells, along with either the Defense style or AC infusions.

Of course, trying to tank purely based on having a lot of AC and health just means you'll be hard to kill. It won't actually force enemies to attack you or prevent them from going to attack someone else dealing damage to them. If that's all you're after though, then those will work fine.
>>
>>81721839
I like staves.
>>
>>81723020
Gabe any of you guys had a player from the positive/negative planes? Not sure how that'd work for the latter. Maybe a demilich or a trapped vampire that's 10x10^100 years old and crazy.
What about the elemental planes? An Ifrit shouldn't be too hard to play with.
>>
>>81723064
Shadar-kai and Genasi can easily be from the planes.
>>
>>81723064
Sorry, didn't mean to quote anyone.
Also
>Gabe
Have*
This is what I get for phoneposting.
>>
Are Paladins fun? I've only ever seen them played as lawful stupid and the sticks in the mud. And I'm not one for trying to subvert tropes for it's own sake but I feel like Pally's are kinda locked into the bullshit.
>>
File: 1611630280307.png (400 KB, 474x661)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
So what do you think of the new UA, boys?
>>
>>81723082
Here's a neat trick: Take 2 levels of paladin and then go into warlock.
>>
>>81723086
I immediately lose all respect for people who do the Hexblade Paladin combo, as their identities are so different. I mean, you can hack it in roleplay; but it is so gamey that it just isn't fun. I know, I did it before; it was not fun. I feel sick for using it. In my games I banned multi-classing and added alternative ways to get other classes abilities.
>>
>>81723091
I didn't say anything about hexblade, but tell me about your alternatives.
>>
>>81723073
I meant more from the negative/positive energy plane and not the shadowfell or feywild. As for the elemental planes, I was thinking of the non-halfbreeds.
>>
>>81723091
This. Hexblades are meant to be evil. Paladins are meant to be mostly good. Those two concepts are incompatible.

You probably shouldn't even allow characters to get abilities from other classes, since that just leads to munchkinism. This is game about roleplaying, not rollplaying.

Feats should not have been included in the core rulebook, nor should multiclassing have been.
>>
What are the odds that the dragon fear feat isnt compatible with fizzban dragonborn?
>>
>>81723102
Why wouldn't it be? It's an upgrade, goes from replacing your action to replacing one attack.
>>
>>81723082
I've got a (conquest) paladin in my party who's reasonably selfish, had himself listed as "lawful evil", has discovered a new-found piety when presented with a divine artefact weapon, and has a penchant for pissing on statues. When a paladin doesn't even have to worship a deity, you can play one any way you want.
>>
>>81721839
Adamantine katanas.
>>
>>81722612
4-5 Paladins.
>>
>>81723091

What if they hexblade paladin With a bow?
>>
>>81723082
the way they've set up the subclass oaths for 5e gives you a lot more flexibility roleplay-wise, really just a few dot points of "here are a few things you live by" and the rest is whatever. If your DM is fun they won't hold you to it and just let you play the class.
Between being able to tank, do massive burst damage, cast spells and do well with social skill checks it's a very fun class imo
>>
>>81722859
Because people can’t play them right.
>>
>>81723091
>>81723099
one of the tenets for Oath of Vengeance is "By Any Means Necessary: My qualms can't get in the way of exterminating my foes." so you can frame your warlock pact as a necessary evil.
A Conquest paladin could maybe pull it off, and an Oathbreaker obviously can because no oath
>>
>>81722612
4-5 tieflings
>>
>>81723150
>>81723114
Thanks bros. I think I'll consider rolling one up then. Want to play it without the "Hur dur follow the law be good" shit. More nuance but the class Oaths seemed strict.
>>
File: Genasi_-_MoF.jpg (125 KB, 500x390)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>81722612
Four Genasi.
>>
>>81722612
All goblins.
>>
File: 1629320547856.gif (933 KB, 304x221)
933 KB
933 KB GIF
>>81723248
earth - tank
fire - dps
water - healing
air - skill monkey?
>>
>>81723288
air - useless monk who does nothing but run around really fast
>>
>>81723288
water is control
air is support
>>
>>81722612
solo paladin
>>
>>81723279
>>
>>81723288
Air - Rogue
Water - Cleric
Earth - Fighter
Fire - Wizard
>>
How come no one told me axe beaks are just chocobo? Time to let my players breed a rare golden flying axe beak.
>>
>>81722027
Versatile weapons I believe work as you are positing, but honestly the whole darkness thing sounds like some mega gamey bs. The spell specifically says it’s concentration and has a limit of 60 feet. If I were DM I might allow the short range teleport because it doesn’t seem too busted and could be lots of fun, but maintaining concentration on an object that completely leaves the plane seems kind of ridiculous when it can’t go 60 feet away from you without breaking the spell.
>>
>>81723366
THIS
>>
>>81723133
This is probably the best one. They have everything you'd need in a party: damage, sustainability, spells.
>>
Any cleric players that can talk about cool shit their cleric has done?

I am currently playing a Grave cleric (level 7), and I'm not really feeling it. The character itself is fun, but so far I'm not sure I am enjoying the cleric bits very much - which makes me think that maybe I am doikg something wrong. I could switch, but I would feel bad doing it, especially if I haven't tried everything yet.
>>
Is there any D&D 5e character generator for Android?
>>
How do I make a dungeon that makes the Rogue an essential member? Just lots of traps and locks?
>>
>>81723439
throw in some climbing shit or something too
>>
>>81721839
Sword variants (long, short, Great) and sometimes shield
I started recently using a longsword+spear combo and its cool as hell
>>
File: file.png (316 KB, 640x1167)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>81723436
>>
>>81722283
>>81722262
You can smite on every attack tho and stack a non divine smite
At 11 you get half a smite free on each attack
You get auras and spellcasting
You get a fucking steed
And thats mechanics
Rp is not a factor because if you are good at it the class is irrelevant
Nut strictly mechanically i like the Paladin and i see no reason to choose fighter over Paladin
>>
>>81722299
Use the gold to take over the slave market and sabotage it from within and instead of simply freeing a few slaves (comperativally) dismantle the system
>>
>>81722320
Every Paladin makes the battlefield to a play ground
>>
>>81722341
>>81722334
Paladins are meele tho
>>81722394
You are doing good work anon
Have fun having your blood pressure skyrocket as you turn him back into a human tho
>>
>>81723133
>>81723324
Best answers
>>
>>81722668
Thats retarded
Why would you bar party comps?
Your campaign should be able to be finished with any comp
Now will they all be alive or happy? Probably not but thats on them
>>
File: 1632803444841.jpg (839 KB, 1157x1637)
839 KB
839 KB JPG
>>81723436
frequently tricked people into sacrificing their prayers to her god in elaborate festivals, had sex with a manifestation of her god who took the form of a minotaur, used thaumaturgy frequently to scare yokels and finally created a fake persona as a witch hunter to make networks with other devil worshippers and witches for easy access to orgies with her divine sugar daddy.

Clerics get plenty of shit to do out of combat too. I also played a Forge Cleric so being on the frontline kept things interesting.
>>
File: 1632588325461.jpg (95 KB, 650x1024)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>81722688
>>81722740
>>81722748
>>81723601
>Taking bait
All you tiefling loving coomers are too predictable
>>
>>81723675
Why are challenging campaigns considered bait?
>>
>>81723091
>>81723099
The hexblade patron might actually end up the good cop to a Conquest Paladin's bad cop and rein them in. Mostly on the same page of brutal authoritarianism/display of power, but with the threat of withholding power from one another if they go overboard.
>>
Is it dumb and videogamey to have the players operate from a hub location, and doing 'dream quests'?

They'd lie down or take a seat or some shit in the hub, then manifest in a different location that may or may not be real. If they succeed in whatever the little one-shotlike quest of that location is before they either die or choose to Long Rest, they get to keep their XP and whatever loot they found materializes in a magical location in the hub.

I can't help but notice how videogamey the idea is as I write this, but I'm looking for something suited to a group of flaky individuals. A drop-in, drop-out sort of thing.
>>
>>81723889
Have you tried Assassin's Crap by Ubi-dubi-soft?
>>
>>81722693
This one is good
>>
>>81723086
Why would ever in any case touch warlock?
Why would cripple your character like that?
>>
>>81723675
>hurr durr its bait im not a trash DM
Sure hun and your players love playing and they arent essentially hostages cause you are the only DM they know
>>
>>81724078
you okay?
>>
>>81723497
>3) watch your dm telling you to read the phb.
>>
File: IMG_20200718_123743_368.jpg (70 KB, 736x1183)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
How would you go for a Devil-blooded sorcerer?
>Option 1: reflavor fire Draconic
>Option 2: reflavor Shadow
>Option 3: fire Draconic with Shadow teleport instead of flight (devils still teleport at will in this edition, right?), and maybe an alternative capstone in the unlikely event we make it to 20
>>
So do we still agree that Martials are still shit and need some serious buffs to come even close to 3/4e levels? Or will 5.5e just ignore this and continue with it's caster supremecy bullshit. Yes I am bringing this up again,
>>
>>81724289
If i want to flavour spirit guardians as one big bastard, and my spiritual weapon as that bastard making explicit attacks, I'm more than free to do so.
>>
>>81724309
Only Fighters, Monks, Rangers, Rogues, and non-bear Barbarians are bad.
>>
File: Eznm35cVgAAXQO_.jpg (132 KB, 1000x1415)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>81724309
We know nothing other than it being backwards compatible to all the books you already own, what do you think? No, there's not going to be massive overhaul of classes because then it wouldn't be backwards compatible. Go play PF2E if you want a system where martials are the absolute kings.
>>
>>81724309
>>81724309
>Martials are shit
Yes.
>They need some serious buff
No, they need versatility.
>like in 3e
What? They were even shittier in 3e, barring weeaboo fighting magic.
>4e
They were casters in 4e. I actually like 4e, it made for a good skirmish game, and one of its selling points was homogeneity between classes.
>will 5.5 ignore this
Yes.
>>
>>81724309
What's 5.5e? Are you expecting these new adventure or setting books (or the next splatbook) to fix things?
>>
>>81724324
Flavor is ok as long as it doesn't change the mechanics or something the DM agrees to. Most of the time spirit guardians and spiritual weapon leads to silly discussions of "why can't my guardians grapple monsters" or why can't the fighter use my spiritual weapon kind of argument.
>>
File: poe.jpg (222 KB, 800x450)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
Im joining a campaign online on dnd beyond and when making a character, I cant select practically any archtypes for a class

Is this a fucking dnd beyond paywall?
Any way to bypass it?
>>
>>81724389
>Is this a fucking dnd beyond paywall?
Yes. Before being an online tabletop platform, D&D Beyond is an online bookstore, and you need to actually buy their books.
>Any way to bypass it?
-Play on Roll20.
-Keep a paper sheet and use the site to roll the dice only.
-Share accounts.
>>
>>81724424
Alright, guess Ill see if I can write up a paper character sheet and submit it to DM as for what im actually using
>>
>>81724386
>most of the time
I've never had anyone expect these two spells to do anything beyond what they explicitly say they do.
>>
>>81722612
A party with so many players that no matter how many enemies the DM puts in front of you, there's no chance of not action-econing them even if the other players play garbage like XBE barb or monk with greatsword.
>>
>>81724389
I highly suggest dicecloud. Say an email/discord and I'll send you templates for each class with basically everything already filled in.
If the campaign is beyond only, bail.
>>
>>81723889
Sounds fun to me, anon. Do it.
>>
>>81721839
Spells and longbows.
>>
quick someone say something stupid and easily disprovable by reading the book
>>
>>81724487
The Fighter is as good as the Paladin.
>>
>>81724487
You can cast spells with S but no M components if both your hands are full.
>>
So what happens if Thrikreen wields 3 daggers? 2 additional attacks from dualwielding?
>>
>>81724545
no, not S&M components
>>
>>81724555
Two-weapon fighting does not explicitly give you one attack per free hand, it simply gives you one extra attack.
>>
When is two-weapon fighting ever worth it?
>>
>>81724555
Is there a Three-Weapon Fighting action?
>>
>>81724555
shit hang on i'm not done with my next one yet
>>
>>81724545
Source?
>>
>>81724635
the character's name is modeus
>>
>hey dm can my character wear their magic focus on his neck?
>>
>>81724690
sure, but you still need a free hand to grab it when casting spells
>>
>>81724698
Can't it be a ring on my finger though?
>>
>>81724702
sure, but your hand must still be free to use it
>>
>dex armorer artificer
>light armor, a combat suit
Thoughts? You can make a lithe assassin with this.
>>
>>81724698
>focus on navel piercing
>all outfits need to to have exposed midriff
>>
File: 1633746793489.jpg (166 KB, 1920x1080)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Rolled 1, 10, 10, 19, 20, 1 = 61 (6d20)

rolling for my githyanki war wizard with heavily armored feat
>>
File: 20211014_140148.jpg (168 KB, 666x915)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Playing a dorf rune knight with unarmed fighting proficiency. What feats should I consider for 4th level?
>>
File: file.png (72 KB, 500x500)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>join a new group
>players start the session by reciting the Pledge of Allegiance
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 15, 20, 16, 18 = 71 (6d20)

>>81724721
the DM said we can reroll if we roll below 68 total
>>
>>81724740
the DM said i can use point buy
>>
>>81723091
>who is Arthas in wc3
>>
>>81723889
if thats the whole thing, its just a way to not have to deal with players missing session or starting at the middle it is very gamy, which doesn't mean its bad.

whoever you can make it something that is actually happening and has consequence, for example a extremely powerful archfey sees them as its favorite toys and the dreams and whatever is just him playing with his saction figures, this can easily have huge consequences like he getting bored or mad cuz someone is not playing right
>>
Rolled 10, 10, 6, 2, 13, 11 = 52 (6d20)

>>
>>81724389
>joining a dnd beyond game
What's the point of using beyond if your dm isn't using content sharing? It's one of the main god damn features.
>>
>>81724891
More over who buys the fucking material? That sounds retarded when it's free.
>>
Rolled 4, 11, 8, 7, 17, 3 = 50 (6d20)

This is my Vuman Noble, what's his 1st-level feat and starting class?
>>
>>81724730
the might eagle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RArGl2vkGI
>>
>>81724903
Inspiring Leader - Paladin

he just sucks at it, but is convinced he is the greatest leader ever
>>
Running a 1-10 campaign. How can I change moon druid to be a smoother curve? I don't mind that it's strong, but I don't want them to have random massive spikes.
>>
>>81724922
He can't take Inspiring Leader, it has 13 Charisma as a prerequisite.
>>
Two years have passed, what's your current view on the DC scaling? Do you prefer the bounded approach of 5e (AC caps at around 23) or just the flat scaling of pf2e (they go to ~50-60)?
>>
>>81724974
It doesn't really make much of a difference. Sky high AC was ever only a munchkin thing.
>>
>>81724943
ohh fuck you right but you can always haggle with the DM, maybe you were amazing when you were super young but as you got older you became completly off/arrogant and now your CHA is 3.

your whole arc is to regain your CHA 13 lmao
>>
>>81724931
enforce the rule that they can only turn into things they've seen, which every retard who complains about moon druid seems to neglect
>>
>>81724997
Haha.

You are retarded.
>>
>>81725018
you do know this is 4chan right? lmao
>>
>>81722480
It would be funny if the lich player wasn't careful with where he left the phylactery, so he at one point respawns in a landfill, buried in garbage
>>
>>81725002
how do you decide what has the PC seeing before the game start?, that in it self is already a problem, another one is that you are just agreeing that it is strong but you are saying "well if you stop them from using their abilities its not that strong"
>>
>>81725104
retard
>>
>>81725143
thats a strong argument, you clearly have a way with words and deep undestand of the game, no wonder you trying to give tips, huray my good sir hurray
>>
>>81725180
I accept your concession
>>
File: cent.jpg (603 KB, 3204x3995)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
Rolled 4, 7, 4, 9, 11, 1 = 36 (6d20)

Here's my Centaur Ranger Gloomstalker DM
>>
>>81725211
that deer is going to have a /k/ thread made about it
>>
>>81725211
oh deer
>>
File: nBf9AAs.png (83 KB, 480x360)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
HEY (YOU)

GIVE ME YOUR BEST TAVERN, TRAVELLING AND COMBAT MUSIC

Ill start:
https://youtu.be/H6Fqwd0wNro
>>
File: 1633777021231.jpg (165 KB, 512x512)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>81725211
How lewd
>>
>>81725246
tavern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ij0eebp1zw
>>
>>81722693
>that Boxer NPC
Holy shit I am using this guy
>>
I've noticed that with the rise on online campaigns, many DMs let their maps speak for themselves, as opposed to the table top style of describing what they see. Which side do you lean more on?
I prefer describing it, because I'm a lazy fuck.
>>
>>81722988
Bladesinger can reach 22 during Bladesong, 27 with shield
>>
>>81725457
I drew bare bones maps in paint back when I was running 4e because it kind of necessitated it. But 5e doesn't have that kind of tactical depth so I just don't bother.
>>
>>81725457
Do both. Cool ass maps but don't skimp on the description
>>
>>81725355
None has as many friends as the man with many cheeses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXNWjZ0BpFY&t=78s
>>
>>81725457
usually simple maps that are just enough for the players to know where things are, and describe the rest to spice it up
>>
>>81725457
I prefer describing it, but for a dungeon crawl it seems to help the players a lot to have a battle map. Ideally covered up with paper, so they actually have to reveal it as they proceed instead of being able to see the entire dungeon.
>>
>>81725508
I was heartbroken when they changed the recording of this particular line for the DOS definitive edition.
>>
>>81725457
quick description, going in deph if asked.

for example if they go inside a tavern if there is people moving around and a lot diferent races I wont say how many people are or every single race unless asked
>>
>>81725457
Not that my maps are good enough to speak for themselves, but I do descriptions because it's fun.
>>
>>81724455
not him but I'd like that, I like dicecloud but setting it up is always a pain
anonsthrowawayburner@protonmail.com
>>
>>81725246
One of my players is playing an aasimar and gave me free reign in what the character's mom is doing (since the character's mom is the angel and disappeared). Made the mom a not so willing servant of the bbeg and played this during their first encounter.

This played immediately preceding the encounter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-f_FTadkD0

This played during the battle itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFY5TPI-kaU

My campaign might not be good, but I will always trust in my ability to find some kind of music to fit with a mood, dammit.
>>
File: c98y2b6fzx911.png (356 KB, 640x905)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
Rolled 18, 13, 18, 11, 14, 5 = 79 (6d20)

>>81725211
Here's my Tabaxi Ranger Gloomstalker.
>>
>>81722480
That's it?
That's all you have to do for lichdom?
>>
>>81725772
>be a 17th level spellcaster capable of casting Wish
>swear eternal fealty to jon motherfucking irenicus
>"that's all"
it costs 100,000 gold and several months of continuous ritual preparation even with one of the most powerful evil spellcasters in the world walking you through every single step

If you make it more difficult than that there would be no enemy monster liches for players to kill.
>>
How do we fix minotaurs, bros?
>>
>>81725860
Give them advantage on strength checks and saves, prof in intimidation, and a bug weiner.
It's quite dangerous.
>>
>>81725860
Make them large.
>>
>>81725860
What are you trying to fix
>>
File: 1542070693689.jpg (187 KB, 553x700)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>81725748
Actually not that bad.
>>
>>81725831
I'm talking more about how you only have to sacrifice one person
The way that the path to lichdom was talked about, I figured you needed to kill more people, do more horrible soul-damning things than kill a single CR person.
>>
File: file.png (449 KB, 500x323)
449 KB
449 KB PNG
>>81725951
theros and ravnica minotaurs are both Medium and the race comes from MTG books, the size is not the problem
>>
>>81725968
I don't actually think they're bad, I just see people calling them bad/mediocre a lot so I wanted to see what people think. Honestly the only thing I'd really change is letting them use Hammering Horns during Goring Rush in place of the damage, and maybe give them/swap out one of their traits for Powerful Build.
>>
>>81725998
Make
Them
Large
a
r
g
e
>>
>>81725991
the phylactery needs to be continuously fed more souls or you turn into a demilich. acererak inflcited the death curse on the entire world to harvest their souls so he could nurture a baby atropal to godhood
>>
>>81725860
make the logo big
>>
>>81722480
>okay McFuckles, it's been 10 weeks. I'm taking back my books. Any questions?
>uh yeah, can you leave those two? I didn't get around to reading them, but I'll do it now.
>don't bother, you lazy failure *zap*
>>
>>81725211
Lets talk about Deer pussy
>>
>>81725211
What does 1 charisma even look like?
>>
>>81726164
I'd imagine it as severe, crippling autism and unable to talk to strangers.
>>
>>81726164
I'd assume an almost total inability to communicate emotions or feelings properly
>>
>>81721839
The one and only Rapier of course. Can't play a Swashbuckler without one.
>>
>>81721839
I do love bastardswords for some reason, I think they just look cooler then longsword designwise.
>>
File: orc tired.png (437 KB, 473x690)
437 KB
437 KB PNG
>>81726038
>>81725951
>>81726038

I'm with this guy.

I'm a big fan of 5e, but I definitely think it's too cautious about letting players do certain things. Small size means very little, large size isn't available for characters. Pet classes they still haven't figured out because they're so afraid of destroying the action economy (except for necro wizards, who are great.)

This caution results in a highly functional game, but it necessarily limits what players can do. Would having a large party member "break" the game? Sure, sometimes! There would be some places they'd have a big advantage, and some places they'd have a huge disadvantage! Spend three sessions squeezing your Ogre PC through 5-foot wide corridors and you might wish he was medium! But you should still let players do that.

I think there should be a second tier of character options, like unearthed arcana but more explicit. Stuff that really changes the game. Let players play an actual undead, not just "mechanically just like a living human but with the Gravetouched trait." Let players tiny characters, large characters, awakened animals. It's a fantasy game, damn it!
>>
File: jason.jpg (235 KB, 1243x1920)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
Here's your Revenant, bro
>>
>>81726339
Yeah. Balance is gay, obviously unbalnced stuff should have warnings for the DM but a 6/10 DM could handle some things just fine. Let people have fun.
>>
1. How is the Hadozee?
2. I hate the “choose where your stats go” thing. What would you recommend I force Hadozee to be?
>>
File: 1586423116817.png (1.59 MB, 1160x1600)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
>>81726633
+STR +CHA
>>
>>81726633
Monkeys are strong, wise, and charming. Take your pick.
>>
How many magic items should a party find during levels 1-4? Mine is approaching 4 soon and they haven't found anything yet besides a +1 crossbow
>>
>>81726751
Depends on your game.
>>
>>81726164

An animated skeleton has CHA 5.

Like with a lot of stats, CHA 1 is not playable. STR, DEX, or CON 1, you can't move. INT, WIS, or CHA 1 you can't think or communicate.

CHA isn't just likeablility, it's your force of personality. At 1, you have no sense of self and can't make decisions.
>>
>>81726761
We're going all the way to 20. a slow grind.
>>
>>81726780

It isn't really based on game length, it's more game style. You can play low-magic games where magic items are super rare, high-magic games where they're for sale in the market, or anything in between.

So there's not really an amount you "should" find. PCs should be getting enough rewards for the game to feel good, but that can mean gold or political titles or even satisfying story beats like finally killing the monster that killed your brother. Magic items are fun, but optional.

If there's something you want out of the game, you can look for it in the game. You can tell the DM you like loot, and then in game your character can ask around for rumors of powerful ancient weapons and such.
>>
>>81726633
Dex and Strength
>>
What are some good alternative materials for a Druid's breastplate or half plate to be made out of? Aside from dragon's scale or ironwood (which I'm pretty sure just doesn't exist anymore but we're willing to hash out).
>>
>>81727133
Hardwood or Darkwood.
>>
>>81727133
Monster bone.
>>
>>81727133
chitin and bonemould
>>
File: 2i63yxfheo121.png (160 KB, 748x621)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>81727133
>Medium Armour with the Minor Property 'Strange Material': On pages 142-143 of the DMG, you can find various quirks and descriptions that can be added to a magical item by the DM to play up the uniqueness of an item. One of these is that the item is made from a 'material that is bizarre given its purpose'. In other words, very likely something other than metal if we're talking armour. You may want to point your DM to these tables for this and other reasons, and as a DM you can consider this when you want to give the druid PC something to up their AC.
>>
>8 dex
>8 str
>not an artificer or dorf
How do I get some AC with these stats?
>>
>>81727212
Assuming you have heavy armor prof, put on heavy armor and not care about the -10 speed penalty.
>>
Which class/subclass is the best for solo adventuring? Fighter?
>>
>>81727229
what if I don't have heavy armor prof
>>
>>81727253
Paladin, Cleric, or Wizard.
>>
>>81727255
half plate with shield for 16 ac
>>
>>81727270
>16 AC
So I guess I'm dead the second we approach levels 5+
>>
>>81727282
It's 5e, AC literally doesn't matter.
>>
>>81727282
yeah you have 8 dex and no heavy armor prof, of course your ac is shit
>>
>>81727288
Ha ha ha.
>>
File: oozewear.png (226 KB, 417x434)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
>>81727133
>>
File: 1573260905260.jpg (51 KB, 709x595)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>81727376
Oh no...
I sure hope this armor doesn't violate my hole...
What a horror that would be...
The embarrassment...
The shame~...
>>
>>81727376
Good stuff, very magical realm tho.
>>
>>81727376
>uncommon
>>
>Haste + Find Steed
>120 Foot Speed Warhorse who can take the Dodge & Disengage action
Who needs Monks when Vengeance & Glory Paladins got smoovement like this?
>>
>>81727579
it's even better with find greater steed
>>
>>81727579
Haste is a noob trap
>>
>>81727698
Haste is definitely not a noob trap on paladins
>>
>>81727701
>t. Has never hasted an enemy just to stun them by dropping concentration
>>
>>81727701
casting it on yourself is not just a noob trap, it's a noob pit trap with a Glyph of Warding at the bottom
>>
>>81727698
>not twinnning haste on your paladin bros
ngmi
>>
>>81727726
>>81727725
Ok whiteroomer
>>
>>81727763
Now they can both lose a turn!
>>
>>81727775
>Dropping concentration ever
ngmi
>>
>>81727775
implying my sorcerer with warcaster can ever lose concentration
>>
>>81727725
that's a fun meme. does it ever actually work out?
>>
>>81727698
Its only ever good if you're using it to buff someone else, which sucks
>>
>>81727782
>>81727783
It's rare but far from impossible
definitely not worth the risk of wasting your action and the actions of the 2 people getting lethargic
You have so many better things to concentrate on, even something as simple as Web is going to wreck the encounter and give your guys tons of Advantage at zero risk
>>
>>81727790
Never tried it. It 100% works RAW and reasonably speaking most enemies wouldn't know enough about magic to see it coming, but I imagine it's the kind of things DMs don't like and will immediately say no to
>>
>>81721839
REAL powergamers use the quarterstaff.

>>81727925
Haste requires a willing creature, so it will only works once per DM, unless the DM thinks it's really funny and keeps allowing it.
>>
>>81727763
I still remember when our sorcerer casted twin haste on our fighter and monk, it was such a nice moment.
>>
>>81727986
>third level spell for a one turn sturn
Any DM that isnt an asshole will allow it. yo can achieve functionally the same thing using command.
>>
As a paladin, should I raise CHA first or STR?
As a dexadin, should I raise CHA or DEX?
>>
>>81728059
Cha and Cha
Paladin is a Aura of Protection bot first and foremost, caster second, anything else third
>>
>>81728056
I'd probably allow it with a save, but yeah, no, it isn't really RAW. If an enemy magician casts a spell on you, you aren't going to just let it happen.
>>
>>81728085
metagamer nerd
>>
>>81728059
If your attacking stat is sub-18, raise it. If your CHA is sub-16, raise it. Beyond that, your choice.
>>
>>81727880
To even have a change of losing concentration I would have to take more than 24 damage in a single hit.
>>
File: 1525294149270.png (60 KB, 187x203)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>81728056
Command has this thing called a "saving throw", you should read what that does it's kinda neat.
>>
>>81728059
Strength and Cha are debatable on a normal paladin, since Strength can really help boost accuracy and damage with bigger weapons or stuff like polearms. For a Dex paladin, you're already focusing on a stat that's better for defense since you're probably using a rapier+shield, so Charisma is better to have your spells be better along with making it more useful for you to be surviving longer, since your party will get a boost to saves.
>>
>>81728085
>Caster second
>The bless/smite bot focused on burst damage is a caster before martial
Have you actually ever played as/with one?
>>
>>81728095
You're just casually assuming you're level 20 and have 20 Con?
A level 2% of games happen at and you have your tertiary stat maxed?
>>
>>81728128
con is the secondary stat for any caster.
>>
>>81728123
Yeah, last campaign I finished was 1-15 as a Paladin.
Newsflash, Bless is a spell. it's what you do turn 1 almost every fight. Your attacks are just filler doing some light damage while waiting for a random crit to smite on.
>>
>>81728118
Where does this meme that dex is better for defense come from? Plate armor (which requires at least 15 str to use without penalty) will outpace any amount of armor+dex. The reason people run studded leather on dexadins is for stealth checks, not AC.
>>
>>81728156
Still there's at least like 5 feats I'd prefer over raising a secondary stat, and that's not counting feats I'd take before raising primary stat
>>
>>81728157
>Casting a level 1 concentration spell and then attacking for high damage every single turn makes you more caster than martial
>Be level 20 champion fighter
>Took Magic Initiate: Cleric for bless earlier
>Now I'm more caster than I am martial
You what
>>
What sort of beasty should I have taken over some dwarven ruins? Specifically the delhalls, in the west galena mountains in forgottten realms. The only lore blurb about it is "mysterious singing coming from it's depths" because points of light, damn 4e.
>>
>>81728193
How many turns are your combats lasting lmao
A full blessed party that's you've pretty much made immune to crowd control should be blowing up any enemy by turn 2-3
>>
>>81728157
>raise cha because you're more caster
>And use it to use this spell that's independent of cha whilst you proceed to be a martial as "filler" every turn
Why would you even
>>
File: thicc.jpg (43 KB, 742x1076)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Rolled 11, 16, 11, 19, 17, 15 = 89 (6d20)

Here's my Goblin Thief DM, I plan on dipping beastmaster.
>>
>>81728059
CHA first. Increasing every single saving throw for yourself and anyone who happens to be near you is incredible value. You'll get more out of that than your attack stat.

>>81728222
I fail to see how using a single 1st level concentration spell makes you a "caster". Also, your DM may have some kid gloves on, just saying.
>>
>>81728222
>1d4 to saves is "pretty much immune" to CC
Massive overstatement
>inb4 aura
In what world is your entire party in your aura? You should be up front, there's a good chance half your party don't want to be anywhere near you
>>
Rolled 15, 7, 16, 14, 8, 12 = 72 (6d20)

>>81728238
Holy functional fuck, Batman!

Here's my gem dragonborn psi warrior!
>>
>>81728262
you should be in the back with your party, you all should be in the back
"frontlines" are a myth
https://tabletopbuilds.com/two-problems-with-tanks/
>>
>>81728166
I'm mostly referring to the fact that Dexterity helps with some pretty common damage saves, and if you're stuck with a Rapier as your biggest weapon then you're presumably using a Shield with it. Although that does ultimately only match the AC of someone in Plate with the Defense style or something, and it obviously falls behind someone with Plate and a Shield.

I suppose it'd be better to say that rather than being better for defense, it's only any good for defense. It isn't like other Dex-based alternatives where CBE and Sharpshooter allows for big damage. Personally I'm not a big fan of Dex paladins because of that.
>>
>>81728238
So a slut Arcane Trickster?
>>
>>81728292
If you're all in the back then you're all at the front. To say that the wizard should stand in the same place as the GWM fighter and Archer rogue reeks of the DM being way too soft on you
>>
>>81728256
>Also, your DM may have some kid gloves on, just saying.
The module was DiA which is pretty brutal most of the time. Also pretty much every encounter past level 5 was buffed to shit
Last 2 sessions were like a 6 Demon lord boss rush with all of them homebrewed to have second phases with more HP than their printed stats.
>>
>>81728325
not if the entire party is optimised. Most characters will be pretty tanky at that point
read the article linked here >>81728292
and also this
https://tabletopbuilds.com/the-myth-of-party-roles/
>>
>>81728128
Being level 9 and 18 con plus having a cloak of protection and ring of protection basically gives you that.
>>
>>81728369
>An optimised wizard is tanky enough at rush into melee and just stay there
>>
>>81728369
>>81728399
Time to abandon my wizard in the back to the large grappling creature who has magic resistance while I kill the goblins in front then.
Don't worry the wizard can handle a multi-attack or two.
>>
File: aaf[1].png (243 KB, 680x709)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>81728399
>>
>>81728311
I tend to assume most paladins are using spear/quarterstaff and shield, since that's optimal.

>>81728292
>Listing """tank""" options
>No sentinel
lmfaoing my fucking ass off.
Frontline is not "tanking" in the sense described in this article, i.e. taking damage for others. A frontline is space created so the backline has more maneuverability and the enemies are forced to expend resources, often valuable resources, to close that gap. That author is fucking clueless.

>>81728347
That's actually interesting, but I still don't see how it makes you a caster first.
>>
>>81728323
>So a slut, Slut.
???
>>
Can I get a one sentence meme summary of each Khorvaire state, please?
>>
https://youtu.be/w5J_m1-l2rk
>>
>>81728445
>>81728445
The Gothsicles have bangers.
>>
File: Sentinel.png (71 KB, 1073x449)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>81728426
?????
>>
>>81728426
>I tend to assume most paladins are using spear/quarterstaff and shield, since that's optimal.
Fair enough. I guess my point is more that someone going for a Dex paladin already isn't concerned about dealing damage, so there isn't much of a reason not to invest in Charisma so that at least while you're sitting there with a Shield dodging fireballs the rest of your party is getting more benefit out of you being alive.
>>
>>81728238
you or anyone else got more Goblin girl pictures? For research purposes.
>>
>>81728450
Sentinel was actually errata'd to use the weapon's reach rather than just a static five feet.
>>
>>81728426
If the first thing you want to do basically every single fight is cast a spell and then only attack when there's nothing better to do like a situational spell, I consider the character more of a caster than a martial.
I can accept if you disagree with the definition
>>
Is Counterspell overrated?
>>
>>81728513
Heh, foole. Imbecile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piAIv2s_txE
>>
Rolled 13, 2, 5, 5, 3, 12 = 40 (6d20)

Here is your innkeeper commoner bro. Yes he has a cute busty daughter and no he will not appreciate some out of town vagabonds hitting on her.
>>
File: file.png (319 KB, 300x411)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
>>81728513
If you know you're going against another caster, of course not
>>
Looking over LFG places, is it normal to feel that some of the campaign ideas are sometimes too good to be true or too ambitious? I thought I would generally be more confident in campaign pitches or recruitment ads that are more verbose and detailed but turns out it had the opposite effect
>>
>>81728483
Good to know, slightly better but it doesn't fundamentally change the issues
>>81728513
the more I look at WotC trying to remove it, the more I think I agree
it kind of ruins the fun of whoever is on the recieving end.
Felt bad after our DM hyped up a hag coven fight for a while only for our 4 Casters with counterspell to completely dumpster them into infinity.
Or your DM might use 0 casters and it could be useless forever
>>
>>81728532
Jeez, I guess it's the daughter who actually runs the business
>>
>>81728513
It's very helpful, but its limited range compared to the bullshit enemy casters can rain down upon you from afar means you'll need to be a lot closer to the scrum than a caster probably should be. Plus, Counterspell can itself be Counterspelled, so if you try to shut down a spell in a caster-heavy fight, you might find yourself shut down.
>>
>>81728544
Like player applications, campaign pitches should be short and sweet.
Of course you should mention of you have any houserules or special notes but the actual campaign pitch should be done in 4 paragraphs at most + some flavour like a poem, ect.
>>
>>81728545
Why did the hags just not counterspell your spells in response
>>
how do I find erp games?
>>
>>81728572
go to shamchat/rolechat/omegle and recruit.
>>
Fresh thread
>>81728577
>>81728577
>>81728577
>>
>>81728532
That poor girl is so kind to look after her retard father. I leave a handfull of gold coins to ease the burden for such kind innkeepers.
>>
>>81728563
Seems like it would be funny if a caster fight ended up becoming an endless chain of counterspells. Of course I dont think thats possible but still
>>
>>81728544
When I DM on R20 I just keep it simple. Something happened, this is the general setting, that's yer lot. What the players decide to do is up to them, I can prepare a couple sessions ahead but never lay tracks ya know?
>>
>>81728450
>An enemy can walk around and behind you with no threat.
So an enemy can expend additional resources to circumvent your feat, if it knows you have it, and the terrain allows it, and those additional resources could easily be the difference the enemy closing on your backline and not making it? Yeah I'm not convinced.
>Does not once mention the main and biggest features of sentinel, reducing targets movement speed to 0
I maintain that this author is an idiot, but admit I did miss this feat's inclusion as a topic of discussion.

>>81728483
There's no date so I'll assume this article was written before that errata. Still, it's a minor feature of sentinel unless you're cheesing with mirror images
>>
>>81728593
As long as there's a caster in range with a reaction and the spellslot available, the chain can continue.
>>
>>81728571
They tried but we still out-tempo'd them and they ran out of slots sooner
>>
>>81728535
>>81728545
I blindly took it when my Lore Bard hit 6th.
Our DM didn't throw a single caster at us for the rest of that year long game. It was a literal wasted spell known (and worse, a magical secret)
Also had Hypnotic pattern but the DM started throwing Charm immune enemies at us as well but that's more common. More infuriating, the other players NEVER used the damn inspiration I gave them.
An optimized character means nothing if you can't read the room
>>
>>81728625
Does anybody use Inspiration?
>>
>>81728608
It being as you mention "the main feature" of the feat is why it doesn't need to be said. Everything is in the context of Sentinel reducing speed to 0
>>81728625
which is why this is all general advice
there's always an implied "but read the room and session 0"
>>
>>81728572
start one and recruit from here
>>
My DM has us at least minorly keep track of things like bathing/using the bathroom. Anyone else get stuck with poop bucket duty?
>>
>Hold Ooze
>Hold Monstrosity (Distinct from Hold Monster)
>Hold Construct
>Mending (Humanoids)
>Mending (Oozes)
>Mending (Monstrosities)
>>
>>81726751
I think that it’s nice for Martials to have some sort of magic weapon around level 4, even if it’s just “This sword is magic”. Lost Minds of Phandevler gives a +1 Longsword at around 2-3.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.