[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • Roll dice with "dice+numberdfaces" in the options field (without quotes).
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DIpxDvFXYAAa6hP.jpg (137 KB, 899x1200)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Comfortable Hobbit's Hole Edition
>>
>smooth feet
>>
>>81718391
I want to finger her Ring
>>
So as much as a Rivendell Treasure Hunter would be cool, by GM just told me he isnt allowing them for the time being. Suggestions for a new race? I'm thinking Ranger of the North?
>>
>>81718402
At least the feet aren't overly large.
Whoever invented that Hobbit have large feet without any basis in Tolkien's writings deserves to pay for all the ugly prosthetics they caused to be made.
>>
>>81718452
Are Hobbit feet even hairy? I thought that was just some weird thing people added later
>>
Just make a Tolkien thread without calling it a "general" you insufferable reddit faggot. Generals are cancer created by and for newfag reddit expats trying to recreate the subreddit pits you crawled out of and should completely fuck off back to. Don't make Tolkien threads on this board into another cesspool of endless meme regurgitation and shitposts.
>>
>>81718470
Yes. From the LotR Prologue:

>They dressed in bright colours, being notably fond of yellow and green;
>but they seldom wore shoes, since their feet had tough leathery soles
>and were clad in a thick curling hair, much like the hair of their heads, which was commonly brown.

Note that Tolkien later wrote about Bilbo wearing shoes for most of his journey in The Hobbit, even though it is not mentioned in the story itself. I'm unsure about Hobbit shoes in LotR, would have to look that up again.
>>
File: DIpxDu9W0AISH6_.jpg (183 KB, 901x1200)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
I almost made this the General To Upset That One Guy Who Complained About General Edition but I thought he'd have left to go cry into his dads dick for a week.
>>
>>81718451
Did he say why is not allowing it?
>Ranger of the North
Yeah, seems alright to me.
>>
>>81718451
I mean, any race is fine to play. What do you like about playing a Dunadan?
>>
>>81718391
>Previous Age:
>>8167035
>>
>>81718591
Good job, fagnuts
>>81670357
>>
>>81718591
here:
>>81670357
>>
File: oath_of_feanor.jpg (112 KB, 512x1280)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>
>>81719000
Feanor a bitch
>>
File: maedhros_kukanova.jpg (69 KB, 501x820)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>81719000

Nai kotumo ar nilmo, kalima Vala
thauza ar poika, Moringothonna,
Elda ar Maiya ar Apanóna,
Endóressë Atan sin únóna,
ilar thanyë, ilar melmë, ilar malkazon sammë,
osta ilar harwë, lau Ambar tana,
só-thauruvá Fëanárollo, ar Fëanáró nossello,
iman askalyá ar charyá, ar mi kambë mapá,
herá hirala ar haiya hatá
Silmarillë. Sí vandalmë ilyai:
unqualé son antávalme mennai Aurë-mettá,
qualmé ten' Ambar-mettá! Quettalman lasta,
Eru Ilúvatar! Oiyámórenna
mé-quetamartya íre queluvá tyardalma.
Ainorontessë tirtassë lasta
ar lma-vandá enyalaz, Varda Manwë!
>>
>>81719000
Why was Feanor so based bros?
Why were the Valar such pussies not respecting FEANORS PROPERTY RIGHTS
>>
>>81718532
He thinks they are a little bit too "important" as well as they arent in the core book.
>>81718541
Cause I dont like the other elves & dunadan are cool. I dont like their virtues nearly as much, especially pairing with Treasure Hunter
>>
>>81719000
Sounds like a bitch boy simping for hair to huff
>>
File: wp_seven-sons_col.jpg (342 KB, 1484x750)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>81719000
Checked.

Be he foe or friend, be he foul or clean,
brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,
Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,
neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,
dread nor danger, not Doom itself,
shall defend him from Fëanor, and Fëanor's kin,
whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
finding keepeth or afar casteth
a Silmaril. This swear we all:
death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
Darkness doom us if our deed faileth.
On the holy mountain hear in witness
and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!
>>
Curufinwe "If my son wants to return, he might as well burn" Feanaro.
>>
>>81719000
Feanor did literally nothing wrong, the Valar refused to pursue Morgoth out of spite for Feanor not giving them the silmarils.
>>
>The eternal Simp.
>>
File: 1628556872109.png (1008 KB, 930x3600)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
>>81719000
>>
>>81718391
Wouldn't mind exploring her Hobbit Hole
>>
File: woke.png (85 KB, 1156x931)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
Was Samwise supposed to be black? He's a Harfoot ain't he?
>>
Ran my first game of TOR 2e tonight and it was fucking phenomenal.
>>
>>81718529
Why does she have elf ears?
>>
>>81721176
>eddie ma-cuck
>>
>>81721176
>Was Samwise supposed to be black? He's a Harfoot ain't he?
I was going to make a joke about them acting like black people but in checking up them real quick, Harfoots are actually described as generally having brown skin.
>>
File: ijustlovehappyendings.png (235 KB, 500x258)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>81720027
>>
>>81721176
Frodo a wealthy gentrified land owner having a PoC gardener kinda feels like the Shire is suddenly a southern plantation vibe.
>>
>>81721346
>sam calls him massa frodo
BASED Tolkien.
>>
>>81721198
Browner skin. Like Spaniards or even Irish or German, depending on your background. Tolkien did not just randomly throw in Latino or Arab hobbits in.
>>
>>81721176
>hobbits
>Second Age
I know this show is fan fiction but they're not even trying
>>
>>81718391
>In a hole a woman there thrust a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort. ... This hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Swaggins
>>
>>81718451
Pretty disappointing, man. They aren't way off balance in this version like they were before, its just a flavor difference. And since the rest of your crew likely wouldn't know the difference between a High Elf or otherwise, all you'd have to do is play it casual and keep you being 10,000 years old and spiritually ascended to a degree they could never fathom in your sleeve until if/when it becomes necessary to bring up.
I, personally, would be pretty disappointed if my campaign ends up not having any atypical approaches to high elves in the party.
>>
>>81718514
I'm sure some of them who can afford it keep a pair for the winter if they're prone to having to walk about when it snows. But also Bilbo is just a weird Hobbit, and probably has quite a few unusual things largely for the sake of getting more traditional Hobbits' dander up.
>>
>>81719283
I wouldn't even disagree with you, except he slaughtered that town of elves to steal their ships and then ditched a bunch of his own people with them anyways. That shit had me pretty shocked to see come from an Elf the first time I read about it.
>>
>>81719910
Yo that's not Earendil.
>>
>>81721405
Yeah. I'm not even that mad about them doing Hobbits that way, but having the Shire exist thousands of years earlier than its supposed to when there's so much more going on everywhere else in Arda at that time is the first thing I've heard about this show that actually has me getting salty.
>>
>>81718529
>>81718391
I want to give her a ring
>>
File: elf ears.png (130 KB, 1024x683)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>81721186
Why not? Its kind of a mystery why those are considered elf ears at all. Tolkien only ever describe them as "leaf shaped", but that's pretty vague.
>>
>>81721176
I've stopped watching all modern entertainment. All my favorite books have been turned in to movies but I can't watch any of them.
>>
>>81721795
Disappointing but its okay.

Im gonna roll with a RotN Treasure Hunter doing the same thing. I'm going with the name Thoromir (Sky Jewel) though he is known by a few names. Trained in swords & bow, he is vaguely from the line of Tuor & sports blonde hair & blue-grey eyes. He is motivated to find lost relics of his House as he plans on reestablishing it. I was thinking it would be cool if he had spent some time in his formative years with the Eagles.

Can anyone tell me if the Rangers have some sort of deeper organization or is it just a whole race of lost princelings running innawoods? Do they have towns? How do they raise families? Do they have a leader?
>>
>>81722161
They're supposed to be largely nomadic, but may gather in larger numbers around their ancestor's old haunts north of the Shire and Bree where the Numenorians had their capitals back in the day. They also keep pretty close ties with the Elves, and Aragorn's line has typically been raised under dear old Uncle Elrond's watch.
They certainly have families, since they're what's left of those citizens of Arnor, but since there's only so many of them that old Numenorians blood becomes thinner with each generation, having to bring in a lot of regular humans of more standard heritage.
Aragorn is their leader. They know he's the heir of their kingdom, and that his line has been waiting for the right time to reclaim that role.
>>
>>81721946
It just struck me as weird. I’ve always thought of hobbits as being closer to men, so the big, pronounced ‘elf’-style ears seem out of place to me. But she can do whatever she wants. It’s all good.
>>
>>81722252
>but since there's only so many of them that old Numenorians blood becomes thinner with each generation, having to bring in a lot of regular humans of more standard heritage.
Source? I thought the blood of Arnor was much purer comparatively as opposed to the Dunedain of Gondor. At least among the lords and later the rangers. It’s just there weren’t many noble families that survived the dissolution of Arnor, the Great Plague, and the never-ending war with Angmar. Halbarad could only gather thirty of them. Sure, he didn’t have a lot of time, and you could guess that some were away on missions or not within summoning distance, but it doesn’t seem like there could have been very many of them overall. But the Grey Company’s description in the novel makes them seem like true Numenorian descendants.
>>
>>81722509
There for sure would be at least some with quite pure Numenorian blood, and the Northern Rangers probably did keep it going a lot better than those in Gondor. Aragorn's line and any other descendants of nobility in particular were probably pretty serious about keeping that bloodline pure. But from the day the Numenorians fled to Middle Earth, their options for maintaining that superior heritage got a lot more complicated. It just wouldn't be logistically possible to be too picky for most of those Rangers after so long among regular humans, with their cities all abandoned to time and the enemy. Ultimately it isn't even a major point since even most pure Numenorians in the later days had declined into being pretty average among the human race, with only occasional individuals of seemingly notable fate, like Aragorn, showing a glimpse of that former glory.
>>
>>81721946
dude weed ears lmao
>>
What is going on in ""Flight of the Noldor""?

Oath happens, okay. They leave Alqualonde. They make it all the way to Araman, and then... suddenly they have ships, or did they go back and get ships? Wtf.

Then they take one(?) ship (where did it come from?) to go across the sea. Why didn't Fingolfin's people take ships if they had ships? Did they have ships at all? Did they only have 1 ship?

Feanor's group makes long boat journey from Araman, ends up in Losgar at Drengist. And THEN burn other ships? Why? If they have all the ships, why would they do this. The timeline here doesn't make sense, nor the geography. Apparently you can see Drengist skies from Araman, but this seems too far away.
>>
>>81722672
I hear you. I personally think one of the reasons there were so few rangers was because they weren’t settling for weaker blood, but I agree that it didn’t matter all that much by the end of the third age.
>>
>>81722703
The Sim can be a bit hard to follow, but there is plenty of extra material out there to help.
Try https://www.tor.com/2018/02/07/feanor-rage-quits-valinor/ which has some useful maps with arrows on.
>>
>>81721186
Hobbits have pointy ears; unlike Elvish ears, there's no debate around that.
>>
>>81722672
>>81722773
It's also important to keep in mind that regardless of bloodlines, the decline of the Dunedain was mainly caused by the simple fact that Numenor was gone, and therefore basically inevitable. Appendix A says

>After the return of Eldacar the blood of the kingly house and other houses of
>the Dúnedain became more mingled with that of lesser Men. For many of the
>great had been slain in the Kin-strife; while Eldacar showed favour to the
>Northmen, by whose help he had regained the crown, and the people of
>Gondor were replenished by great numbers that came from Rhovanion.
>This mingling did not at first hasten the waning of the Dúnedain, as had
>been feared; but the waning still proceeded, little by little, as it had before.
>For no doubt it was due above all to Middle-earth itself, and to the slow
>withdrawing of the gifts of the Númenóreans after the downfall of the Land
>of the Star.
>>
>>81722792
pointy =/= big ass knife-ears
>>
>>81722703
I think you missed the part where the Feanorians rob the Teleri of their ships and kill anyone trying to stop them. If you're this confused, re-reading the chapter is probably the best idea.
>>
>>81722703
You seem to have missed quite a few parts of the narrative but hey, the Silm isnt easy to follow. If you arent about reading parts you didnt get again maybe something like this will help https://www.tor.com/series/the-silmarillion-primer/
>>
>>81722792
>>81722870
Yeah, I've always pictured Hobbits, Elves, and some Orcs as having pointed ears, but not exaggerated knife ones like you see in most fantasy. They're just regular ears but pointed at the top to varying degrees.
>>
The song clamavi de profundis doesn't dare to cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVIVJjuaHE
>>
>>81721176
It is all so tiresome.
>>
>>81723707
Clamavi is gay

The only true Tolkienian band of modern times is unironically Nightwish
>>
Did wormtongue have any magical powers?
>>
>>81723783
He was gay, that's pretty 'magical' if you catch my drift
>>
>>81723801
Gay in what sense
>>
>>81723801
I think you're confusing him with the Elves Sam is describing as gay.

‘The Elves, sir. We had some talk last night; and they
seemed to know you were going away, so I didn’t see the use
of denying it. Wonderful folk, Elves, sir! Wonderful!’
‘They are,’ said Frodo. ‘Do you like them still, now you
have had a closer view?’
‘They seem a bit above my likes and dislikes, so to speak,’
answered Sam slowly. ‘It don’t seem to matter what I think
about them. They are quite different from what I expected –
so old and young, and so gay and sad, as it were.’
>>
>>81723779
I like their ent song, but that's it. The rest don't do it for me.
>>
>>81723707
Great rendition! My favourite Tolkien-related album is Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-earth.
>>
File: 1e08.png (464 KB, 619x619)
464 KB
464 KB PNG
I love heraldry and devices. Shame Tolkien didn't design more.
>>
>>81723779
>>81724195
Nightwish are doing Tolkien inspired songs?!?
>>
>>81725220
They had a few in the past

Wishmaster, Kinslayer (every metal band must have a song about Feanor), Elvenpath.

But I was talking more about capturing the feeling and the aesthetics of Legendarium. Tuomas is driven by the very same appreciation of Beauty and Nature and Everything that is Good as J.R.R, even if he perhaps is not as great as his predecessor.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tFFz44zvc

Take this, for example. It doesn't reference Tolkien at all, but it shows the yearning, longing and the vastness, almost endlessnes of the sea. It's an attempt to put to word what Elves might have felt when they first stepped ashore.

The Ocean is a frequent star in Nightwish song, both old and new, although lately his cousing the Sky had been getting a fair share.
>>
>>81725770
I always found that song more reminiscent of The White Ship by Lovecraft. But there's a similar melancholy.

Posting the best Tolkien rendition though: https://youtu.be/pISzxdEgDCU
>>
Disclaimer for fucking disgusting gary stu origin:

High Elf of Rivendell, Messenger or Scholar. Steeped in lore of the Elder Days, but full of great shame. Here's where things get wonky: the second son of Aeredhel and Eol, before her flight with Maeglin to Gondolin and subsequent death at the hands of her husband. And Maeglin being Maeglin to boot, this younger brother's the inheritor of probably the most hated legacy of the Eldar.

So he's mostly cloistered himself the fuck away and kept his head down, staying away from crafting materials in favor of book-learning or being the occasional voice in councils, only respected due to the lineage of his mother. Fucking old and probably close to heading to the Havens, but perhaps motivation is redeeming his family legacy before the age of Elves is completely done, earning a place across the Sea.
>>
I personally quite enjoy Oonagh songs. Althought I do no speak german so I don't understand much of them.
>>
>>81719000
>>
>>81718391
>>81718529
Girl is susu_jpg
>>
>>81726778
>Look her up
>Puerto Rican cosplay thot living free off simp bucks

It pisses me off just a bit whenever they're Puerto Rican honestly. Probably just crab mentality. Probably the fact that it reminds me of how my cosplay ex is also living the easy life off simp bucks while I'm a depressed fuck having to work 40 hours a week.

It's all so tiresome.
>>
>>81721176
>>81721405
I never wanted Hobbits to be in this show, because Tolkien himself noted that they did not become significant players until the late Third Age, entirely evading Sauron's attention before then. We have absolutely no lore to go on for reconstructing what proto-Harfoots may have been like, or doing, at this time in the history of Arda, so this seems a very commercial-driven decision to appeal to the masses that lacks narrative sense. There is also the tonal issue - the Second Age is a largely dark and tragic epoch, overall, and it is lacking in Hobbitish levity. It's not about small folk accomplishing mighty things but rather the "long defeat" of the great and good, like Galadriel, Elrond and Gil-galad, as they confront the rise of Sauron

I worry that with the inclusion of Hobbits as major pov characters, if Lenny isn't pulling our leg (in a setting that, lore-wise, they are absent from and exert no bearing upon in terms of narrative development), this could be an early sign that Amazon is going to try and 'mould' the essentially questless Second Age to resemble LotR. LotR is LotR, the SA is a prequel. It's LotR that has as its main theme (to quote Tolkien directly) "the motive (to become dominant in Hobbits) that the great policies of world history, 'the wheels of the world', are often turned not by the Lords and Governors, even gods, but by the seemingly unknown and weak".
>>
>>81727295
I mean as long as its not YOUR bucks why care?
You can smile and say you aren't using your money so foolishly and just simp for her for free
>>
>>81727887
Honestly Amazon has no interest in authenticity when it comes to adaptation. Just look at the trash fire Wheel of Time is
>>
File: 1586754832994.jpg (7 KB, 271x186)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
"Is a prequel to the age that we've seen in the films, it's about the early days of the Shire and Tolkien's environment. so we're an indigenous population of Harfoots, we're hobbits but we're called Harfoots, we're multi-cultural, we're a tribe not a race, so we're black, asian and brown, even Maori types within it."
>>
File: 1590459956884.jpg (130 KB, 664x680)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>81718402
>shaves her feet
l-lewd
>>
>>81726128
I think that's a pretty interesting character backstory. The only problem would be using it to give yourself more advantages in play than you're expected to, but it doesn't read like you're out to do that.
>>
>Those Bucklanders are queer folk. Outlandish, some might say.
>>
>>81728885
>"Ayo massa Afrodo" yelled Samson Ganges
>>
In one of the first drafts of the Pyre of Denethor chapter, instead of emphasizing Denethor's stature and the tragedy of him succumbing to despair, Gandalf just does this:

>Gandalf closed the door. ‘That ends a chapter!’ he said. ‘Let the Stewards burn -
>their days are over.’

Draft Gandalf is a lot more savage than published Gandalf, and I love it.
>>
>>81729165
I heard they like to go boating. Weirdos
>>
>>81729030
It's pretty much a way to show my love of the setting and the peoples within its history while trying to stay humble about it. A secret dream of recovering the only suit of galvorn mail, and Anguirel, is probably best left unrealized. But helping out some Company or other and being an easy in at Rivendell (whether or not there's bad blood between Maeglin's younger brother and Earendil's son) and cool roleplaying opportunities.
>>
>>81728885
Small hat tribe has no bussiness telling a Catholic story.
Period
>>
If you were gonna do a Silmarillion TV show it'd be better, I think, to focus on single stories like Maeglin or Turin Turambar and just try to tell one of those fully in a season. You probably have the budget for these things whereas, let's be real, if they try to do the big stuff like the host of the Valar marching no matter what the budget is Netflix/Amazon Prime are always going to make it look like shit.

I don't personally care about the skin colour of whatever hobbits or elves or whatever they do, or blame DA JOOS, but it's clear the series has a weird scope and focus that's going to make it inauthentic. It's like uh, the idea and presentation of doing a Middle-Earth series has become much more important already than the actual quality and production of that series. You can see the dollar signs rolling in the makers' eyes and just completely obscuring the thing itself.
>>
File: LotR.jpg (81 KB, 1411x198)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Like as soon as someone writes the words "This would make it the most expensive television series ever made" about your show giant Ironside sirens should be going off in your brain screaming "Am I completely 100% sure I have not made a gigantic mistake?"

Commitment to 5 seasons minimum, guys who developed it have only Star Trek: Beyond credited to their name. None of these signs are good independent of what you think of it racially. Someone must be making immense amounts of money off this.
>>
>>81731178
I don't see a First Age show happening for some time, the Second Age Amazon show doing a Silmarillion prologue is the most we can expect for now. But there's the SilmFilm project by Signum University, which is at least a theoretical adaptation of the Silmarillion with scrips, casting etc - just no actual production, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>81731178
This would be amazing if it was done with Taiwanese pili hand puppets like gigachad Thunderbolt Fantasy.
>>
>>81731309
Honestly I think you maybe have to do something like that to really adapt the Silmarillion as a whole. Or animation. It's just such a huge scope to try and do with real actors.
>>
>>81731326
Agreed. Well the Silm is really popular in Asia these days (it has a huge Chinese fanbase since being translated a few years back), so maybe some based and unpozzed studio over there will adapt it eventually. It would be more interesting than whatever drivel the marketing and inclusion department at Amazon can cook up.
>>
>>81719000
>>
>>81731145
>Small hat tribe
who?
>>
>>81726128
>the second son of Aeredhel and Eol, before her flight with Maeglin to Gondolin and subsequent death at the hands of her husband. And Maeglin being Maeglin to boot, this younger brother's the inheritor of probably the most hated legacy of the Eldar.
Into the trash it goes. No way I’d allow this as a GM. But you don’t have to deal with me, so I hope you have fun.
>>
>>81726128
That is a disgusting noncanonical gary stu character, Anon, and I wouldn’t allow it in any game I played or ran.

Maeglin did not have a brother.
>>
File: darvws.png (24 KB, 554x554)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>81731615
The dwvers ofc
>>
>>81731821
I’m the guy that posted this : >>81731781
I don’t care about non-canonical relations as PCs so long as it doesn’t stick out too much. You can’t be Aragorn’s brother Dragonborn, or Galadriel’s forgotten daughter, but if you wanna be say Halbarad’s younger brother or Barliman Butterbur’s daughter, then, yeah, fuck it, I might say okay if you’ve got some good ideas and you need something like that to feel attached to the story.
>It's pretty much a way to show my love of the setting and the peoples within its history while trying to stay humble about it
>humble
He’s a first age elf whose grandfather is Fingolfin and brother caused the downfall of Gondolin. He’d be a super special angsty snowflake running around in a first age game. In a third age game it’s laughable. I don’t know how that’s remotely humble, but you do you guy.
>>
>>81732052
Partially meant for >>81731122
>>
>>81731870
>tfw they uncover Tolkien’s private e-mails and find out he secretly hated darkies, women, and queers this whole time
>>
File: Fingolfin vs Morgoth.jpg (380 KB, 1920x1200)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>81724643
THE FATE OF US ALL
LIES DEEP IN THE DARK
WHEN TIME STANDS STILL AT THE IRON HILL

https://youtu.be/6Yz4_1mZarA
>>
>>81731240
Of course they expect to make money off it. Nobody is going to throw a billion dollars at something without hoping for profit. But let's face it, anyone who was going to get into the deep, authentic lore the way this fanbase wants isn't going to be a big, successful hollywood name. The guys developing it being nobodies who have only worked on some equally nerdy shit is possibly a great sign. I mean all that money's gotta go somewhere, and if it isn't to lure in a huge director credit for publicity points, MAYBE it'll go towards a solid crew who can put out the costumes and special effects and various creative touches that can salvage things. But I'm also an hopeless optimist.
>>
>>81721894
Your asshole ring for pegging?
>>
>>81732132
His what?
>>
>>81733106
Unironically yes
>>
>>81733111
electronic mail
>>
File: Tolkien Jews.jpg (284 KB, 438x1095)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>81731615
That antisemitic bigot is talking about the gifted people.
>>
>>81733263
You know he died, like, almost 20 years before the internet became a thing, right?
>>
>>81719000
>>
>>81733287
That was the fucking joke you unabashed autist.
>>
>>81733283
>"gifted"
>Uses nearly every damn negative stereotype to define the short, hairy, cosmic mistakes.

Tolkien isn't fooling anyone.
>>
>>81733283
Pretty based reply tbdesu. I wish this style of writing(and writing letters) had never died.
>>
>>81733415
Bro, if any race in Middle Earth are the short, hairy cosmic mistakes, its the Hobbits. They're mutants and only accomplish anything because nobody takes them seriously.
>>
File: conservativeOscars.png (371 KB, 700x518)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
>>81731240
>US$250 million
>at least US$1 billion
These days no one would commit that type of money for fans of Tolkien to enjoy a production faithful to the source material. Figure it will have to be extremely watered down and diversified to appeal to a mass market who just want to post about the cliffhanger at the end of each episode on social media.
>>
>>81731122
You should go with Scholar since Messenger is too much of a "Face". I would take the Artisan Virtue since it will let you bang out fun war gear indicative of your lineage.
>>
>>81731309
Unironically that would be badass
>>
File: smirk_elf.jpg (39 KB, 492x388)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Anyone have a copy of the most recent TOR 2e kick-starter advance?
>>
Did Tolkien think he could include a barefoot elven princess and think we wouldn't know what's up?
>>
>>81733415
His dwarves are pretty cool though.
>>
File: 453452.jpg (423 KB, 1876x2048)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
>>81721946
I mean, when a historian talks about a "leaf shaped blade," they mean something like pic related. So it stands to reason that Tolkien meant for elf ears to be leaf shaped in the sense of being elongated and pointed, not multi-lobed like an oak leaf or covered in spines like a pine leaf.
>>
File: gay legolas.gif (1.17 MB, 256x337)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB GIF
>>81733755
Oh he knew very well what he was doing
>>
>>81733755
I think he wanted us to notice. Why else would be explicitly say that Idril was known by all as the 'bared silver feet'?
>>
>>81722252
>>81722509
>>81722672
Thank you guys for sharing. So they are nomadic & follow a Chieftan, but gor the most part they just wander around because they have no settlements & can be hard to find.

So moving forward with my idea of Thoromir. I plan on taking :Heir of Anor: to gain a Cloak that may or may not be Tuor's which would boost my Stealth.

Also, is the Hammering Quality any good? I kinda want to take it & have a "thunderclap" type of vibe
>>
>>81719000
>Be he foe or friend, be he foul or clean,
>brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,
>Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
>Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,
>neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,
>dread nor danger, not Doom itself,
>shall defend him from Fëanor, and Fëanor's kin,
>whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
>finding keepeth or afar casteth
>a Silmaril. This swear we all:
>death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
>woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
>Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
>Darkness doom us if our deed faileth.
>On the holy mountain hear in witness
>and our vow remember, Manwë and Varda!
>>
>>81733620
I thought about Artisan, but at the same time I wonder if the character would try to veer away from the things that his father and brother were most known for. But then, that's what Lure of Secrets is all about!

To you naysayers, fuck you, I know Eol didn't have a second kid, but none of your characters are canon either.
>>
>>81734555
At least my characters are seamlessly consistent with Tolkien’s creation rather than glaringly bad gary stus that scream “look at me!!11!!!” and stand out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>81734555
You could always just be Eol's kid from another woman. Maybe create some distance & be his grandson.
>>
>>81734591
Thought of that too!
>>81734589
In the groups I run in, nobody except myself and the LM would have any idea what any of this lineage shit even means. Feel free to pull that sore thumb out of your ass, you're clenching too hard.
>>
>>81734073
>I plan on taking :Heir of Anor: to gain a Cloak . . . which would boost my Stealth.
Good idea. That’s cool.
>that may or may not be Tuor's
ohshitniggawhatareyoudoing.jpg
No way I’d allow that. Can you not tone your shit down a little? I’d okay the cloak of a former chieftain or king of Arthedain, but that’s about as far as I’d probably allow. You might pick something up from the beginning of the Northern Kingdom or Numernor over the course of the campaign if it’s that kind of game, but to start with a 6500+ year old magic cloak is way too bullshit for me. Of course this is just my opinion, and you do you.
>>
>>81734555
>To you naysayers, fuck you, I know Eol didn't have a second kid, but none of your characters are canon either.
I’m not making fun of you because it’s not canon. I’m making fun of you because the character sounds like the idea of sixteen-year-old girl that’s just been introduced to fantasy books. He’s a super special snowflake that’s older than Elrond with an angst-ridden past that totally isn’t his fault.
>fuck you
Fair enough. I hope you have fun, anyway, while reserving the right to tease you for the character.
>>
gary stus are cancer. the one ITT has it so bad he is literally incapable of self-reflection as to why other players and other tolkien fans might find his bullshit incredibly distasteful and obnoxious.
>>
>>81734807
I even prefaced that the concept is a disgusting gary stu. More grounded ideas are a Dwarf of the Iron Hills with an axe to grind on the Orcs of Moria, and Orcs in general. And a Ranger that tries real hard to liaise with Rivendell. And the ever-popular Dirt McFarmer from Bree.
>>
>>81734894
these are better desu.
>>
>>81734912
Of course they are. That Elf is just pure wish fulfillment.
>>
>>81734894
>I even prefaced that the concept is a disgusting gary stu.
I know, but it’s still so bad that more anons than myself felt the need to commit about how extremely gay it is. Admitting something doesn’t absolve you of deserved ridicule. Being self aware doesn’t make it any less awful.
You’re still allowed to do whatever you want, so it’s all good. But trying to defend the idea isn’t doing you any favors. I don’t think you have to be at one extreme or the other, either. PCs *should* be special in a lot of ways, and I wouldn’t want to play or force my players to play Bob Buttfuck the male human if they didn’t want to.
>>
>>81734738
How would Tuor's cloak be stated differently if it was in the system?
>>
>>81733415
They weren't great people in The Hobbit, but Gimli and the portrayal of Dwarves in general in LotR turned things around. They explicitly value the beauty of the Glittering Caves above the money they could make from mining there.
>>
>>81735406
Makes you basically undetectable near water? If you want to translate its status into stats it would stand out.
>>
>>81735593
And to think they started out as evil beings created by Melko in the Lost Tales.
If only there was a Lost Tales RPG, it'd be pretty different from games based on Tolkien's later works.
>>
>>81734807
The game lets you play a high elf. You can't not be older than Elrond. And all elves are pretty angsty by the very notion of some communal instinct to flee their homeland because everything about it that they love is dying.
>>
>>81737300
High Elves are somehow both sad and gay, at least that's how Sam describes them. That's different, or at least a lot more, than angsty.

That said, TOR groups allowing High Elves don't care that much about portraying the setting accurately, and more for balance. Not my playstyle, but if that's how they like it go ahead.
>>
>>81737493
So they're not angsty, they're just sad. And the game doesn't care about accuracy, but his character is bad because his high elf is older than Elrond. Got it.
>>
>>81737562
>So they're not angsty, they're just sad.
They're sad and gay at the same time, that's the thing. Sam was mystified and fascinated by their behaviour, so it should definitely be like something you wouldn't expect from Men or Hobbits.

>And the game doesn't care about accuracy, but his character is bad because his high elf is older than Elrond. Got it.
Not one of the anons who complained about the character. Their concerns are valid lore-wise, but I'm fine with letting people play a game that wants to find a compromise between setting and common gameplay expectations like balance. >>81577758 was a good summary of the situation
>>
File: wrong.jpg (29 KB, 458x458)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>81737300
Also you're a faggot for trying to argue this point.
>>
>>81737650
as long as the group agrees on how they want to play TOR changing stuff from Tolkien for the game is fine, if they have a good reason
>>
File: 527ac744-500x105.png (64 KB, 500x105)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
Any of you guys plays MESBG?
>>
File: 1411145765683.jpg (21 KB, 399x399)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Is there any decent LOTR fanfic worth reading? I didn't mind splint which was linked in an earlier thread but when I've tried to find other stuff to read it's mostly insanity like;

>Four years have passed since Aragorn and Legolas wed. Now the pressure is mounting for Aragorn to provide Gondor with an heir, no matter what.

and

>Hobbit BDSM

Is this a pointless task? I just want to read more lotr without it being irredeemably awful.
>>
I never read LotR fanfics but with how many there are there's bound to be some decent ones.
I read the History of Middle-earth volumes with the drafts for LotR, which is kind of like fanfic, but actually related to the final text and illustrative of the path Tolkien took to get where he got to.
>>
>>81737493
>>81737562
>>81737650

I think the word angst sort of implies immaturity. Being alive kind of sucks, and we all process that at various speeds, it's normal and healthy for young people to feel a lot of frustration over things they can't change (or even just feel frustration and not know where it's coming from).

Elves are way way over on the other side of the spectrum. They're noble and enlightened and super mature, because they've had thousands and thousands of years to come to terms with what really matters. They found gems for the pleasure of finding them, and then cut them into supernaturally-luminescent forms just for the challenge of doing so, and then threw them out onto the beach because it made the beach prettier, and that was a fucktillion years ago. That's what makes the gay, and then what makes them sad is the weight and weariness of all that experience.
>>
>>81738846
No, though I wish I did. No one here has any interest to tabletop games (except maybe the popular stuff like cards, Uno or even Monopoly).
>>
>>81718452
Honestly it might have been done out of necessity. So the actors could have hairy protected feet that don't look like shoes.
>>
>>81733388
Yes, I too was only pretending to be retarded, we both play the same game.
>>
>>81740447
>>81737562
>>81737650
One of the most insightful passages when it comes to the Elvish outlook, compared to the mannish one, is in the Athrabeth (published in Morgoth's Ring), in which Finrod (son of Finarfin and elven lord of Nargothrond) and Andreth (a mortal wisewoman of the House of Beor) discuss the fate of Men and Elves as it relates to death and Morgoth's influence. The most relevant part for this topic is too long for one message, so I'll make this a two-parter.
tl;dr Elves are tied to the World as their home and never grow tired or bored of something in it, no matter how much they interact with it. Men are only visiting the World before they leave it upon death, and seem to have a faint memory of a place outside they came from (and presumably return to), which leaves them with a certain unrest inside the World - they do no truly belong here. Therefore, they value new and strange things highly but can grow tired of them, always seeking something new - like tourists on a trip.

'Now we Eldar do not deny that ye love
Arda and all that is therein (in so far as ye are free from the
Shadow) maybe even as greatly as do we. Yet otherwise. Each of
our kindreds perceives Arda differently, and appraises its
beauties in different mode and degree. How shall I say it? To me
the difference seems like that between one who visits a strange
country, and abides there a while (but need not), and one who
has lived in that land always (and must). To the former all
things that he sees are new and strange, and in that degree
lovable. To the other all things are familiar, the only things that
are, his own, and in that degree precious.
'If you mean that Men are the guests,' said Andreth.
'You have said the word,' said Finrod: 'that name we have
given to you.'
'Lordly as ever,' said Andreth. 'But even if we be but guests in
a land where all is your own, my lords, as you say, tell me what
other land or things do we know?'
>>
>>81742063

'Nay, tell me!' said Finrod. 'For if you do not know, how can
we? But do you know that the Eldar say of Men that they look
at no thing for itself; that if they study it, it is to discover
something else; that if they love it, it is only (so it seems) because
it reminds them of some other dearer thing? Yet with what is
this comparison? Where are these other things?
'We are both, Elves and Men, in Arda and of Arda; and such
knowledge as Men have is derived from Arda (or so it would
appear). Whence then comes this memory that ye have with
you, even before ye begin to learn?
'It is not of other regions in Arda from which ye have
journeyed. We also have journeyed from afar. But were you and
I to go together to your ancient homes east away I should
recognize the things there as part of my home, but I should see
in your eyes the same wonder and comparison as I see in the
eyes of Men in Beleriand who were born here.'
'You speak strange words, Finrod,' said Andreth, 'which I have not heard before.
Yet my heart is stirred as if by some truth
that it recognizes even if it does not understand it. But fleeting is
that memory, and goes ere it can be grasped; and then we grow
blind. And those among us who have known the Eldar, and
maybe have loved them, say on our side: "There is no weariness
in the eyes of the Elves". And we find that they do not
understand the saying that goes among Men: too often seen is
seen no longer. And they wonder much that in the tongues
of Men the same word may mean both "long-known" and
"stale".
'We have thought that this was so only because the Elves have
lasting life and undiminished vigour. "Grown-up children" we,
the guests, sometimes call you, my lord. And yet - and yet, if
nothing in Arda for us holds its savour long, and all fair things
grow dim, what then? Does it not come from [the] Shadow
upon our hearts? Or do you say that it is not so, but this was
ever our nature, even before the wound?'
>>
>>81742063
>>81742079

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>81738846
Of course
>>
>>81742141
You're welcome! The whole, quite extensive discussion is one of the highlights of Morgoth's Ring for me. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Tolkien, at the time of writing, intended it to be an Appendix to his Silmarillion. The philosophical topics and the worldbuilding depth it goes into also illustrate one reason why Tolkien never finished the Silmarillion after LotR was a success and the publishers would've accepted it.
Between the deep questions Tolkien had never asked about the Legendarium before, trying to integrate LotR characters (mostly Galadriel and Celeborn, but also Cirdan, Gil-Galad, Celebrimbor...) into the First Age stories, and his project of making the setting more grounded and believable (with an always round Arda, sun and moon existing from the beginning and a much longer Valian Year, for example), Tolkien never got close to finishing one coherent Silmarillion.

In any case, I'd recommend Morgoth's Ring to anyone who liked the published Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. It's the most-quoted and most important HoMe volume because it firstly has "new lore" like the Athrabeth; secondly gives insight into Tolkien's creative process and development of his writings (what Christopher had to work with) in the form of different versions of the Ainulindale and what became the published Valaquenta and early Silmarillion chapters, framed and explained by Christopher's commentary; thirdly features lots of essays in which Tolkien reflects upon and explains his stories (the motives of Morgoth and Manwe, for example)
>>
>>81733283
One of his grandchildren is Jewish so his bloodline is gifted now
>>
File: DFR3aybVoAA1WYL.jpg (241 KB, 1200x1200)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
Bump.
>>
>>81718391
>>81718529
>>81747169
It's almost embarrassing how long it took me to recognize her with that much clothing on.
>>
>>81742063
It also seems like the common elf belief at the time was that when Middle Earth dies, they die and stop existing, nothing else comes after.
>>
>>81742063
>>81742079
I wonder why is it that no elf ever once took a good look at the world and realized that every other life form on the planet grows old and dies like Men. All animals, all plants, and everything in between. It's the elves that are the odd ones that are different from everything around them in that they remain the same and do not change. They seem way more detached from nature and the natural order of things than Men.
>>
>>81747406
>implying elves aren't hyper conscious of their own mortality and fate tied to the fading of Arda

Our hunter is slow, but he never loses the trail.
–Finrod
>>
>>81747406
Because they spent 99% of their existence hanging out with Vala, Maia, and ents. Other beings that exist without changing, or only changing after several thousand years just like them.

And when they spend their time in Middle in a near constant state of war with Morgoth, they never really got much of a chance to see that their horses were growing old and weak. They never lasted long enough to get that far.
>>
>>81747224
Care to share with the class
>>
>>81747406
But does a tree get bored like a human does? Does a squirrel grow tired of finding nuts? The fact that elves dont age doesnt factor in, they are the stewards of the world.
>>
>>81748182
Not really relevant to this thread... or /tg/.
Just look for Swimsuit Succubus.
She's apparently 'retired' from lewds business.

Her bust/waist/hip ratio is... glorious.
>>
>>81748182
>>81748337
Oh and, to the best of my knowledge, she never showed actual nudity... but she came within three postage stamps and a shoestring of it.
>>
>>81748337
>>81748350
Thanks. She does seem to have one nude, but honestly not that attractive. She is WAY to focused on her ass in her pics.

Thread related question.

What are some goals your characters have? How do you pursue them?

I think it would be cool for my character to want to spend his treasure on building a hidden outpost, only accessible from an underground mountain tunnel. Maybe pay tribute to Gondolin & guard it with eight gates
>>
>>81748578
She literally never did nudes. If it was her in whatever pic you are referencing it would be public knowledge considering how insanely popular she was and still is.
>>
>>81748591
Heh, I was about to say... I have a lot of pics of her and have never seen an actual nude.

There may be fakes, though; I wouldn't doubt that.
>>
>>81748591
>>81748626
Have you tried googling "swimsuit succubus nude"? Its topless, not a full nude.

Here is where google sent me. Scroll through to where she is wearing a pink thing with cat ears
https://thebarchive.com/b/thread/850907177
>>
>>81748697
In the fuzzy pink cuffs and neck? That's a shop. Those nipples aren't even the same color.
>>
>>81748697
That’s a photoshop. The full set is public and she has pasties the whole time. It’s also available on her official website and that version has pasties too.
>>
The better question is why anyone's interested in the admiration of soulless, vapid content that objectifies and dehumanizes someone who thinks their only path forward in life is appealing to horny men on the internet and probably regrets her decisions.
>>
>>81739912
imagine how many gay fanfics there are called "share the load"
>>
>>81748781
>>81748740
Fair enough. I really dont care about her & I really dont find her all that attractive.

Lets talk Tolkien
>>
File: tg_fembilbo.jpg (180 KB, 1100x1070)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>81747169
i would
>>
>>81747406
>>81748148

Of course they realized that they were pretty unique in their longevity; Finrod touches upon this in the Athrabeth, too. The Elves know that Elves and Men, unlike animals and plants, are Children of Iluvatar and therefore most closely related to each other (in hroa and fea, meaning in body and soul), regardless of their lifespan and fate. The relevant part of the conversation is this:

'But consider this well, Andreth, when we name you "Children of
Eru" we do not speak lightly; for that name we do not utter ever
in jest or without full intent. When we speak so, we speak out of
knowledge, not out of mere Elvish lore; and we proclaim that ye
are our kin, in a kinship far closer (both of hroa and fea) than
that which binds together all other creatures of Arda, and
ourselves to them.
'Other creatures also in Middle-earth we love in their measure
and kind: the beasts and birds who are our friends, the trees,
and even the fair flowers that pass more swiftly than Men. Their
passing we regret; but believe it to be a part of their nature, as
much as are their shapes or their hues.
'But for you, who are our nearer kin, our regret is far greater.
Yet, if we consider the briefness of life in all Middle-earth, must
we not believe that your brevity is also part of your nature?'
>>
>>81747368
What they knew made that seem like the logical conclusion, but at least Finrod had hope (Estel) in Eru's love for his Children - that he would not have them end with this World, but live alongside Men in the next one. The Elves have less assurances than Men about their fate after the end, but they can still have faith in Eru like Men.
>>
>>81740772
Might have been a factor, but at least the idea of Hobbits having large feet has been around in art since the 60s or 70s. I still wonder where it came from...
>>
>>81719000
>oathfags
>>
>>81751949
>oathchads
>>
>>81751992
Wrong side of history. Remember a ignorant dwarf got more than "Nice Guy" Feanor, the elf of Simp & Slaughter
>>
Feanor was a cunning and ruthless king that did not care for his subjects, but his craftsmanship is unparalleled; the moment he conceived of the Silmarils and made them must have been awe-inspiring. I also love what he says to the herald of the Valar:

>Then turning to the herald he cried: 'Say this to Manwë Súlimo, High King of Arda: if Fëanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least will I do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!'

He doesn't care whether he has a chance of success or not, he's going after Morgoth anyway and doing what he can. And of course, his prophecy about the army of the Valar following him was fulfilled in the War of Wrath.
>>
>>81721176
>Hobbit...but nigger!!!!
Why are modern writers so pozzed?
>>
>>81753048
More like, Hobbit butt nigger amirite?
>>
>>81753048
Stretching Tolkien's statement that Hobbits of the Harfoot kind had darker skin until they look like Africans instead of something more reasonable, like southern Europeans, is such an obvious move for American media of today that completely value PR (because it's profitable) above artistic vision. But it's still sad to see.
>>
>Saruman/Sauron dynamic in the TA is very close to the Sauron/Morgoth dynamic in the FA
>Maeglin/Idril is very close to Gríma/Eowyn
>Aragorn/Arwen is a repeat of Beren/Lúthien
Cycles of repetition in the fates of Arda, or simply lazy storytelling?

CAPTCHA: PJS 0K
>>
>>81755530
Tolkien was a lazy hack by his own admission.
>>
>>81753613
>Africans instead of something more reasonable, like southern Europeans
What's the difference?
>>
>>81755629
post quote
>>
>>81755530
>Saruman/Sauron dynamic in the TA is very close to the Sauron/Morgoth dynamic in the FA
Where do you see the big similarities? Sauron joined Morgoth freely, Saruman was drawn to and influenced by Sauron through the Palantir (and even then, Saruman tried to get the Ring for his own and concealed the location of the Shire from the Ringwraiths).

We learn very little about how Grima got involved with Saruman (though it likely didn't involve being captured and threatened with torture). The similarity about trying to get a royal woman for in exchange for betraying their people to an evil ruler is there, but the characters are encountered in very different contexts in their stories, and their end is very different as well. Similar, but I wouldn't call this part of a cycle (not enough significance and thematic connection) or lazy storytelling (not enough one-to-one copying).

Clearly framed as the second (but lesser, because everything's becoming more mundane with time) to Beren and Luthien and the third very important Man/Elf pairing, but apart from that theme, their intial meeting in the woods and the idea that Aragorn has something to do before they can marry their stories are very different.
Mostly because Aragorn's becoming a military and political leader instead of a stealth quest and Arwen does nothing except for sewing a nice banner, very much unlike Luthien. If you want a parallel to Beren, Frodo is your man; Sam's Luthien sometimes too, like when Frodo is imprisoned in a tower belonging to Sauron and Sam sings outside, prompting Frodo to weakly sing in response before he is rescued. But Frodo has many parallels to Beren during his quest.
>>
>>81756137
>When writing The Hobbit in the early 1930s Tolkien gave the name Gandalf to the leader of the Dwarves, the character later called Thorin Oakenshield. The name is taken from the same source as all the other Dwarf names (save Balin) in The Hobbit: the "Catalogue of Dwarves" in the Völuspá.[8] The Old Norse name Gandalfr incorporates the words gandr meaning "wand", "staff" or (especially in compounds) "magic" and álfr "elf". The name Gandalf is found in at least one more place in Norse myth, in the semi-historical Heimskringla, which briefly describes Gandalf Alfgeirsson, a legendary Norse king from eastern Norway and rival of Halfdan the Black.[9] Gandalf is also the name of a Norse sea-king in Henrik Ibsen's second play, The Burial Mound. The name "Gandolf" occurs as a character in William Morris' 1896 fantasy novel The Well at the World's End, along with the horse "Silverfax", adapted by Tolkien as Gandalf's horse "Shadowfax". Morris' book, inspired by Norse myth, is set in a pseudo-medieval landscape; it deeply influenced Tolkien. The wizard that became Gandalf was originally named Bladorthin.[10][11]
>Tolkien came to regret his ad hoc use of Old Norse names, referring to a "rabble of eddaic-named dwarves, ... invented in an idle hour" in 1937.[T 32] But the decision to use Old Norse names came to have far-reaching consequences in the composition of The Lord of the Rings; in 1942, Tolkien decided that the work was to be a purported translation from the fictional language of Westron, and in the English translation Old Norse names were taken to represent names in the language of Dale.[12] Gandalf, in this setting, is thus a representation in English (anglicised from Old Norse) of the name the Dwarves of Erebor had given to Olórin in the language they used "externally" in their daily affairs, while Tharkûn is the (untranslated) name, presumably of the same meaning, that the Dwarves gave him in their native Khuzdul language.[T 33]
>>
>>81719910
The Valar are not elves, and even the elves aren't that effeminite. Fair and beardless doesn't equate to looking like a woman.
>>
>>81756464
"He regretted how he spent little effort on the names in a story he invented for his children" is very different from "He was a lazy hack".
Even just for The Hobbit your interpretation is a hard sell, and it does not concern any of the pairings the post you responded to pointed out. Unsurprisingly, since The Hobbit is only a very minor part of Tolkien's writings and wasn't even intended to be part of the Legendarium until LotR developed a connection with the Silmarillion.
>>
>>81721176
>producer: hey we need a diversity quota, do you mind slumming it with everyone else picked for their skin colour?
>black actor: thanks mister!
Huh. Normally people obsessed with race would call this racist.
>>81753613
I'm still wondering why Maori specifically was included unless it's just a convenient "We hired a black guy and he said stop calling me fucking black, I'm not from Sub-Saharan Africa, so let's use that in our advertising".
>>81755690
I know you're joking but the Med is a pretty big place, and Africa is an even bigger place.
>>
>>81756762
People got tired of the Black/Latino/Asian three note diversity so they've been pushing islander stuff hard these last few years. Moana, stuff with The Rock & Jason Momoa, etc
>>
>>81755530
It's only parallels if you really stretch. Was the attack on the Shire mirror the fall of Gondolin? Not really, but they were both hidden sanctuaries that were discovered & sacked by Evil forces
>>
PJ is alright in my book. I enjoy the film trilogy (which I was obsessed with in middle school) in the same silly way the Star Wars prequels are fun. But since I read all the books and the Silmarillion before the movies came out, I already had a distinct mental picture of how everything would look. I think Weta really worked some magic. Alan Lee’s beautiful art was a large influence on the first film. It does get a bit more ridiculous as PJ takes over more and more towards RotK. For instance, I remember autistically sperging out about how the Citadel Guards’ helms had the wings sticking out to the side rather than swept back like pic related.

But I don’t mind it. The films are saved by perfect casting and great production design. Besides, it will be the last racially homogenous and thus canonical casting in film history unless there’s a major change ahead.
>>
>>81732180

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0TcB5lxfuY
>>
>>81757577
>spoiler

I think they could have done a better job of depicting the different ethnicities in the movie, actually. The Numenoreans are generally pale, but some of the troops from southern Gondor that arrive in Minas Tirith are specifically noted as swarthier; Sam also has distinctly darker skin than Frodo's pale skin, likely because Sam's more Harfoot and Frodo's more Fallohide.
Obviously the difference in skin colour is supposed to stay within European limits, and it might seem homogenous from an American perspective where many different ethnicities are called "white" - but Tolkien, an Englishman, built Middle-earth inspired by Europe (the Shire would be around the same latitude as Oxford, and Minas Tirith around Ravenna). Seeing the Gondorians and Hobbits as racially homogenous is selling Tolkien short, in a way - because he actually put thought into these matters despite what pozzed people may accuse him of.
>>
>>81731145
>Catholic
fuck oooooooooff
>>
File: Magic Ring.webm (1.79 MB, 1920x800)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB WEBM
>>81756549
Don't get me wrong, I like his works, but that quote is literally him admitting he's a lazy hack because he didn't even bother to create original names for the dwarves (and Gandalf, even though he had his Maia name). It's also no secret that he basically just mashed Der Ring des Nibelungen and the Kalevala to create LotR.
>>
>>81755530
>>Saruman/Sauron dynamic in the TA is very close to the Sauron/Morgoth dynamic in the FA
No, it isn’t.
No, it isn’t.
I don’t think so, but I’ll give it to you cause human doing a whole bunch of shit to earn the right to marry an elf is the deciding theme of those two stories and trumps the details.
>PJS 0K
No, he isn’t.
>>
>>81742063
>>81742079
One of the interesting things mentioned in this is how Elves are meant to be purely physical, and an elf being just a spirit without a physical body is more of a perversion of nature that is not supposed to happen, but does since Arda is eternally damaged.

Meanwhile the rest of the story goes through great lengths to portray how being incarnate is a bad thing for any Vala and Maia, and they become far too attached to the physical world and lose their purpose and function. They are meant to be spirits mainly.

but it also seems like Men are also made to be spirits more than physical since they are designed to expire and either haunt as hosts or leave Arda. Even men that extend their lives find being alive unbearable and want to die after a while. Either way they are only physical for a short period of time so it's much less of a breaking of nature's law for them to be houseless spirits.
>>
Where did they go, after they sailed off from the Havens of Sirion? They just departed to the sea, never to be seen again.
>>
>Darkening of Mirkwood
>players have no option to side with Girion
>the guy that is legitimately more right to rule Dale than Bard is
>book even gives mentions of how Girion's persuasive and dreams of uniting the Rhovanion and will promise them land and titles for aid
>goes nowhere and doesn't make any further mention of helping him, just Bard and his son Bain
I heard this was railroaded but damn is it railroaded. I can understand they didn't want to rewrite a megacampaign around two different paths, but they give other alternate paths at times in the book.
>>
>>81759270
They eventually make it to Valinor
>>
What colors in Tolkien are assoviated with the sky? I know white & blue tie to the sea in a lot of his stuff.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.