[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What, in all of tabletop, be it card games, wargames, boardgames, roleplaying games, whatever, is your all-time favorite game mechanic? It can be IP specific, a general idea, something general and common or specific and obscure.

For example, I love Kill Teams shooting combat with how both players get to roll dice, letting each fight have a bit of suspense too it.
>>
The idea of stats being mechanically identical but the name of the stat determines what it can be used for from "i kill puppies for satan" was one of the first big eureka moments for me in this hobby. I actually love this game despite of its edgy subject matter; the rules is just about what I want out of a "rules light" game.
>>
>>81711684
And award goes for 'Most Honest and Sttaightforward post with Scariest Subject Matter' goes too...
>>
File: BB20170420_Tapping.png (469 KB, 801x487)
469 KB
469 KB PNG
>>81711608
in card games, I like placing cards from your hand to use as resource generator, like one would use lands in MtG to tap for mana, but not tied to a single card type
>>
File: dark.jpg (109 KB, 1200x900)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>81711608
straight up setting cards face down in Yugiman
honorary mention to tapping cards in Magic
it's so subtle and compliments and plays into cards so well you know? you activate trap cards when the conditions are met and they do the things they do, it's wicked and bodes well
>>
I really love random effects. This is a huge upside of digital card games like Hearthstone, where it's easy to implement and cards are actually designed around it. e.g. getting a random creature from the whole pool of the game

In TTRPGs Wild Magic is an obvious example of it, but I also like simpler stuff like rolling to get one of four buffs.
>>
File: longedcheesers.jpg (10 KB, 190x266)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>unreliable actions enmasse
where most actions have a 50-60% chance of success, but you have many actions
where all plans are subject to internal cataclysm and must adapt on the fly, on both sides
bloodbowl is an example
inifnity would be a counter example, where everything is so reliable that its basically settled with small adjustments along the line
>>
>>81712122
I like the concept of wild magic but it's very rarely done well because you have situations like 5e where they think a very rare chance of something that's usually mechanically
meaningless is worth dropping actual abilities for like extra health or damage resistance.
>>
>>81712185
Fair. But you can get good rules even for 5e: use Spheres of Power.
>>
File deleted.
>>81711608
3.0's "DM's best friend."

It's a very simple idea. The DM can adjust any roll by +2 or -2 depending on favorable or unfavorable circumstances.

It's a small, 10% bonus, but its omnipresence in the system gave every situation some added depth that increased player agency, increased the importance of various details and descriptions, and just added layers of new considerations that made the game more fun. A DM could just fling these little bonuses around as much as they wanted and the situations warranted.

5e "evolved" the idea with the DM applying advantage/disadvantage, but that's not only a much bigger value (more of a 25% change), it couldn't stack, any number of disadvantages would be neutralized with one instance of advantage and vice versa, and far too many actual game mechanics involved or initiated adv/dis. It simplified the mechanic while also complicating it, and making it far more cumbersome to use.

But, yeah. The DM's best friend is probably my favorite mechanic, and was an important stepping stone to help DM's become great DM's the more they used it and understood it.
>>
Using Fate Chips in Deadlands to absorb damage. Deadlands is a considerable lethal system where you can have a 100+ bounty character get killed by a child with a pistol technically, but Fate Chips give your heroes the edge in not dying. Since they're your end-of-session exp however you still have to carefully ration them and your willingness to get into bad situations.
>>
>>81712440
agreed, its even more suited to the wasted west skew, but is a great mechanic in both
>>
>>81712440
I actually dislike the use of metacurrencies to make "SUPERLETHAL" games not lethal.

It's like fake and gay advertising.
> Deadlands is a considerable lethal system where you can have a 100+ bounty character get killed by a child
Oh wow! SUPERLETHAL! How hardcore!
>except we have an extra meta system on top of the system to make it not really all that lethal and actually playable.

So many systems do this, and should just be honest instead of pretending they're only for "hardcore" players (who need magical deus-ex safety nets or they will start crying).
>>
>>81712557
I disagree, I dislike a handwavey damage barrier that goes up with your Worldliness stat, and I don't have the patience to play an actually lethal game like Aces & Eights and reroll 4 times a session, so fate shit is a good middle ground.
>>
>>81712557
Have you ever played deadlands?
Fate chips are discretionary and rare, and do nothing to keep the game from being lethal.
>in a deadly setting having no way to demonstrate and model overwhelming opponents without just wiping the party and starting over
DM-let tier
>>
>>81712602
>I dislike a handwavey damage barrier
But, it's basically that, except no one acknowledges it in-universe.

"Should we risk that heist?"
"Nah, I'm out of Fate Chi- I mean, I'm not feeling so... lucky today."

Players making decisions based on meta-currencies that their characters can't comprehend has never sat right with me. Especially with the inverse, where a character takes a big stupid risk just because the player has some metacurrency to burn.
>>
>>81712708
I never said I was some hardcore gamer poseur, I just think these systems do 'being better and coller than mooks' in a more logical way than HP. Also like >>81712635 said, Fate chips don't let you play a demigod, they let you turn a level 5 gaping chest wound into a level 3 broken rib.
>>
File: 1632806217271.jpg (26 KB, 326x313)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>81712708
>had three close calls back to back
>now wants to take it easy until he gets his bottle back
thats creating roleplay and modeling morale beyond the impenetrable player barrier
you rarely have more than one to begin with, but lets even use your uninformed notions and run with them
nearly dying back to back to back would make anyone shakey, and players in their ego-driven roleplay almost never represent that through any mechanic at all outside of CoC which forces it with guess what A METACURRENCY
shit if i want to use your standards, hp is a metacurrency, shouldnt die because im out of some abstract number, same with ammo, so what if i got no bullets, i should still be able to shoot
>>
>>81712635
>Fate chips are discretionary and rare,
You mean it's up to the GM how lethal the game is, so it's really only as hard or soft as they want it. It's the mark of a good game that it can be adjusted to different playstyles and levels of lethality, but doing it via metacurrencies so fags can pretend they're playing a SUPERLETHAL game while they're wearing bulletproof parachutes and being wrapped in 100yds of magical invisible bubblewrap is where I roll my eyes.
>>
>>81712829
pretty hyperbolic
>>
>>81712829
>You mean it's up to the GM how lethal the game is, so it's really only as hard or soft as they want it.
Which is something a DM can influence or change in any game or system.
>>
File: deepshig.png (114 KB, 500x716)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>81712829
thats the same in any system you dweeb
its a ttrpg
fate chips have guidelines in the fucking book, it IS your extra hp, and models your luck /willpower to survive
when you burn it, it is modeling you brushing with death
there is no
>downed for 7 turns at -2 hp but im fine
there is
>i bolt for cover and get shot in the stomach by a snapshot
>this has basically killed me
toss chip
>nope, just grazed but i cannot do that again
>you will not see me trying that again as a player because it is now a deathsentence
>you will now not see me doing it as a character because my guy had the fear of god put into him

"lol just kill the players lmao only certain resources are metacurrencies even though they all are because i need that to be the case to make this vapid non-point about a system i've never ran"
"just make the guns do no damage lmao, thats still lethal"
i get the feeling you've never run anything, let alone sit at an active table, this is basic shit
burn some of that metacurrency spell slots and gate that shitty take off to wherever you found it
>>
>>81712802
>hp is a metacurrency,
In some games, it is. In other games, it's clear that it's in-game knowledge all the way to there being abilities that give you exact HP readouts of different characters, and both players and characters acknowledge HP as a quantitative level of vitality.

>thats creating roleplay and modeling morale beyond the impenetrable player barrier
It's backsplaining, one of the biggest gripes people had with 4e D&D, because the mechanics would force dumb situations and decisions, and then the players and DM would have to stop and come up with some miraculous set of circumstances or bizarre rationale to have the scenario play out.

>"One-eyed Jim, you're the bravest, most reckless man I've ever met! Two out of three gunfights, that is."
>"I get... shakey?"
>>
File: ImttFFTA.png (282 KB, 1518x2048)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
Spell slots are fun, actually having to choose what spells I'm bringing into the day is legitimately engaging and constantly has me on edge over what will happen next.
Pic not related.
>>
>>81712887
Some games are super non-lethal, to the point where it's nearly impossible to get hurt, let alone die. And, some games are meatgrinders where making five characters a night is part of the fun, and even a babying GM can't prevent ALL the forms of instant death.
>>
File: 1605944203482.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>81712962
explain spell slots
explain hp
explain sanity
explain corruption
explain humanity counters
explain ac
explain healing surges
explain dailies
explain stats
literally every number on the page is a metcurrency, arbitrarily deciding some are not, when all fit your definition of "gameable" numbers that are meant to vaguely gesture at indefinite abstracts

this is a sinking ship, but i commend you for drowning with her
>>
>>81713004
if you use point buy systems or dots, stats are more metacurrency than anything in ttrpg
>>
>>81712922
You're kinda dumb.
You want to pretend your pet game is hardcore, and you act like people can't attach longwinded narratives to >downed for 7 turns at -2 hp but im fine
to pretend they're hardasses.

>only certain resources are metacurrencies
I see. You're not at even the entry-level of knowledge for this conversation, hence your confusion. Nigga, we talking about a literal metacurrency here.

Hell, comparing HP to Fate Chips doesn't help your argument, because both are used to literally reduce lethality, and you don't like to think about that because you think your pet game is hardcore.
>>
File: 1628720903069.jpg (62 KB, 1000x1024)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>81713159
>crying
>ad-homs
>void where warrant or even a claim of rebuttal would go
throw yourself another victory parade retard, at least you can be content in your insipid indefensible nonarguments

i like how you didnt even attempt to refute, you just got mad and said "no i win"
you arent even in contention slopeskull, you dont even understand the buzzwords you exclusively traffic in
are you stacking chromosomes as a "metacurrency"? you literally dont have a point beyond being assmad
at least follow your faltering train of thought to the station
>>
>>81713004
>explain spell slots
Read the Dying Earth. Book starts with an explanation of spell slots.

>explain hp
Each game explains it differently. Hell, "read the books" answers all your dumb inquiries.

Never show off how little you understand and pretend you made some kind of point.
>>
>>81713238
how are they not metacurrencies was the question, try to at least follow the losing argument you want to start
>>
>>81713232
>frogposter gets crushed
Holy shit, I rarely win so hard that the idiot fails to understand the argument and just breaks down.

Nigga, you killed your own argument by thinking comparing HP to Fate Chips would help you.
>>
>>81713253
Do you know what a metacurrency even is?
Because, it sounds like you clearly don't.
>>
File: 1624680351918.png (73 KB, 300x300)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>81713290
do you think screaming nu-uh and failing to refute anything is "winning?"
all of my points stand unfettered
not even you buy into this sad display faggot, thanks for putting more julay on the sundae
go lick your festering wounds back on your homeboard newfag
>>
>>81713253
>Metacurrency is a type of player resource that is spent and exchanged at the player level without any kind of resource exchange manifesting in the game world. It is distinct both from in-game resources (such as ammunition or gold coins) and from mechanical abstractions of fictional events (such as hit points as an abstraction of character health, or strings as an abstraction of social leverage). Because metacurrency is exchanged at a player level only, it is usually used to regulate out-of-fiction concerns, such as rotating spotlight, maintaining balance, and rewarding genre emulation and other desired forms of roleplay.
>>
>>81713306
Yes a gamable number not known to the character but known to the player.
Literally every number but your actual currency on a sheet, is a metacurrency.
>these arbitrary out of universe points determine all outcomes and can be spent or modified by and for actions there-in, the character themself is unaware of these numbers or quantities as they are abstract.
Yeah seems I'm the only one that knows what a fucking metacurrency is, and i wasnt the slavering dipshit belaboring the concept.
So yeah pretty cut and dry if your parents arent fucking related to one another.
>>
>>81713362
>Yes a gamable number not known to the character but known to the player.

No.

>>81713336

Now, quit being dumb.
>>
>>81711608
I like character sheets wherein abilities are denoted in a number of dots (Storyteller system, among others). It's easy on the eyes and prevents a sheet from being erased into illegibility as a character progresses. Dots also generally mean that the numbers will remain smaller and easier to manage on both the meta and a turn-by-turn basis.
>>
>>81713378
fate chips dont even fit this definition, which is an arbitrarily specific definition that only applies to one system rather than the general and universal definition
how are you gonna lose this hard then paint yourself into the dunce corner by moving the goalposts to a baseball diamond?
by this definition stats and leveling are literally metacurrencies exchanged at a player level
>>
>>81713483
>They are many different names for types of metacurrency, often chosen to reinforce the themes of the particular game they appear in. Example names for metacurrencies include fate points, plot points, hero points, story points, bennies, momentum, glory, and inspiration. Some games use multiple types of metacurrency for different effects - a common example is for the players and the GM to use distinct forms of metacurrency that are earned and spent in different ways.

Nigga, I'm just copypasting and killing you. No Fate Chips in real life, sadly.
>>
>>81713483
>by this definition stats and leveling are literally metacurrencies exchanged at a player level

No, please read.
>It is distinct both from in-game resources (such as ammunition or gold coins) and from mechanical abstractions of fictional events (such as hit points as an abstraction of character health, or strings as an abstraction of social leverage).
>>
>>81712986
Same, but I wish more games were balanced with a mechanic of converting spell slots of one level to another. It's weird to have a character with no low level slots aviable, but still having their max ones ready.

"uh, sorry, can't make this chair float now, ask me tomorrow. That castle, however, can be burned very easily right away if you want"
>>
File: DkQySCaUUAUzBbk.jpg large.jpg (455 KB, 2002x2004)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
>>81711608
I like the card mechanic in Malifaux. The ability to manipulate numbers, suits and your hand for various effects makes it much more engaging than dice roll modifiers to me, and I believe that there's a lot more depth. The downside is, of course, it is a much more tricky mechanic to grasp.
Speaking of card games, I'm really into Digimon's memory mechanic as a way to cost cards and certain powers. Pay too much and your opponent gets an advantage, however small. Can't see much of a downside besides some cards just being costed better than others.
>>
>>81711608
The stack in MTG. It's just such an elegant way to resolve actions and effects.
>>
>>81713756
It's counter-intuitive (abilities played later get resolved first), but it's brilliant in how it enables complex reactions.
>>
>>81713593
Converting is the much more elegant solution, but the system sans conversions is really funny in a meta way, ie the second half of your post.
>>
>>81713728
Same, with the special mention of Soulstones (basically mini-fate points useful for tanking damage, improving test results or drawing extra cards to cheat tests with. The downside is that they're the leftover points you have after picking your units/upgrades.)
>>
>>81711608
>>81712093

Lair of Darkness, tributing your opponent's monsters for cost to activate your own effects. People fuck it up by running too many tribute effects when all you need is lilith, doggo, and maybe a copy of Diabolos.

The greatest and most satisfying removal ever. Just a couple takes with lilith can earn the game.
>>
>>81713820
Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Conversion would mean players take longer to run out of magic and makes it harder to have that situation where they can't just bullshit their way out and actually think their approach.
>>
More than one level of play. For example, being a regular TTRPG game while having a base/kingdom management part they can grow, take care of or improve the way they want. Can be anything, from a house,a town, a ship or something else.
The idea is to have something that reflects the consequences of their actions during regular adventuring and opens the door to unique situations (faction comes to raid the place, some local NPC they like is having problems, a representative from a company has come with a bussiness proposition, etc). Really fun to play around, let's you "loop back" to a place between arcs and the players usually love it as they feel they have a place or project of their own beyond murderhoboing.
>>
In older editions of D&D, skill/ability checks were resolved by rolling under the ability score. I've always found it charmingly elegant.
>>
>>81713950
wdym "rolling under the ability score"? Like, rolling the dice literally below the ability in the sheet?
>>
>>81713964
Say you had a Wisdom score of 16, and your DM wanted you to roll to discern a hidden enemy or clue or something. You'd roll the D20, and if you rolled less than 16, you succeeded.

Or, let's say you wanted to know if your character could remember an important fact about a monster of NPC. Your DM might have you make an intelligence check. You'd roll the D20, and try to get lower than your Intelligence score.
It's a system that works well if the DM only has the players roll for things where the success is possible but not guaranteed.
>>
>>81714034
Honestly, that sounds like a good way to resolve skill checks of dumb stuff. Like trying to remember some information that was said in a previous sesions that could be relevant but not decisive (Can you tell me what we did with this NPC?) or general roleplaying parts.
Might adapt it somehow to my sessions.
>>
File: file.png (755 KB, 467x656)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
I very much enjoy common resources that have different purposes depending on what character uses them. A Potion used by pic related can be either a healing spell or a buff, and other characters have potions being used as damaging attacks, with certain potions in the game triggering multiple times or not being consumed after use, as well as equipment permitting carrying of more potions than usual. They can even be traded among party members for more immediately needed effects.
>>
>>81713004
>spell slots
not metacurrency, as other anon pointed out they're taken from Vance's Dying Earth, where magic users has to memorize arcane runes and could only fit so many of them into their brain (depending on spell complexity and power). This is actually known to people in universe
>HP
not metacurrency, it's an abstraction for how beat and down / hurt someone is. dependent on system, but can be gauged by people in universe
>ac
Armor class, in it's original incarnation, is literally the class of armor you wear, not metacurrency. In universe characters know plate is better than chain is better than leather is better than nothing. That's why it's classes of armor, plate + shield is AC1 (first class armor), plate and no shield is AC2 (second class armor), etc.
>healing surges, dailies
Agreed, that's actually metacurrency
>stats
Not metacurrency unless you can spend/burn them like in DCC for a different outcome when you fail a roll or take an action. Mechanical representation for attributes people know in universe. Characters can look at two people and realize which looks stronger than the other, etc.
>>
>>81714446
>healing surges, dailies
>Agreed, that's actually metacurrency
Those are just abstractions of vitality and endurance though. Not particularly goods ones, but still, not metacurrencies.

>Not metacurrency unless you can spend/burn them
I think Luck is often a Stat used as an examples of this, or, at least, it sometimes influences actual metacurrencies.
>>
>>81714605
>Those are just abstractions of vitality and endurance though.
Granted I'm not really familiar with how these work, but it feels like these are stretching it. Do characters "know" they can surge / have a daily action they can take?
>I think Luck is often a Stat used as an examples of this, or, at least, it sometimes influences actual metacurrencies
Been a while since I've played DCC, but iirc any class can burn luck to influence the results (+-) of any roll affecting them. Magic users can burn (also iirc) any stat they want when they do rolls for casting spells.
>>
>>81714807
>Do characters "know" they can surge / have a daily action they can take?
They're both heavy abstractions, but the character can feel tired or "depleted" or a divine character can just ask a god how many more times they can heal someone that day.
They're not great mechanics, but healing surges are just an extra step on top of HP.
>>
>>81715017
Yeah I guess putting it that way it makes sense. Like an Olympic lifter in a competition might know they're barely standing but once they're up on the platform they realize they have enough juice to go all out one more time and get the lift. Still kind of a stretch but I'll agree with you on this one
>>
>>81711608
Lasting effects from Hex. Where changes to spells and monsters lasts the whole game due to persistent card states.

>>81714092
Good taste.
>>
File: 1577049499992.png (394 KB, 600x450)
394 KB
394 KB PNG
Netrunner's Corporation side. The whole game's genius but I can't get enough of all the hidden information you have when playing as the corp. The hide-and-seek of your agendas, the mindgames of where you're installing things, if the card you're advancing is the winning agenda or a trap and the mystery of your unrezzed ICE. No other game compares.
>>
>>81713793
That sounds like chaining in Yugioh
>>
>>81713756
This is MTGs greatest contribution to gaming and not enough people recognize it.

Any game that lets me react to somoni else immediately after they take an action has me interested.

This emphasizes what I like most about gaming in general, being able to interact with other players in a meaningful way.
>>
>>81714092
This is like the fast food of fantasy artwork and I love it.
>>
>>81711608
>is your all-time favorite game mechanic?
D&D 4e powers
don't @ me
>>
Kamigakari's Spirit Dice mechanic is by and far one of the best mechanics I've ever seen in a game period
>>
>>81713930
any examples of this outside of ACKS?
>>
>>81712986
Where is this image from and where can I find more of it?
>>
>>81711608
I like the dice system of FFG Star Wars. The different results of success,failure, triumph, despair, advantage and threat I love. It provides some neat narrative moments and prevents binary success/fail result.
>>
>>81711608
I like the idea of magic originating from demons and spirits and that magicians slowly lose their mind as they are dabbling in things humans shouldn’t.
>>
File: birdguymansmall.png (1.57 MB, 2035x2148)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>81723141
It's a commission I got forever ago, of an OC whos a member of a transhumanist cult in a sci-fi megacity. A compassionate doctor type. I'll post what I have of him just for you, Anon.
>Captcha WY0H0
I'm a pirate!
>>
File: birdguymanipad.png (1.85 MB, 1738x2599)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
>>81723883
>>
File: birdguymancrouching.png (2.2 MB, 2116x2414)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB PNG
>>81723891
>>
File: birdguyman1.png (5.51 MB, 4000x2600)
5.51 MB
5.51 MB PNG
>>81723897
>>
I like how in Lancer I can collect various systems that give me different reactions and be using a different reaction on basically everyones turn, because theres a 1 reaction a *turn* limit, and only some reactions are limited to once a round.
>>
>>81723924
I know nothing about Lancer except that it's about mechs, and when you say 'system' I assume 'operating system' So I'm just assuming while everyone else is fighting, your mech is just shaking and vibrating and you can hear only slightly muffled but still deafening OS startup sounds from within. Somehow this is optimal performance.
>>
>>81723967
'systems' are basically equippable feats so yes youre basically right
>>
So, it seems to me that the people who hate meta currencies (at least the ones who are actually engaging in good faith unlike this retard >>81713159 ) dislike them because they're not tied to specific events (unlike an ability) but they still are actively used (unlike a stat). Is that fair?

Personally that has never bothered me because describing the in-universe way that the ability is used is part of the fun.
>>
>>
>>81711608
Being able to play any card face down as a resource, but also have special cards that can be played face up as a resource with special perks.
>>
>>81726459
Damn, you're still bitter about being called out for not understanding metacurrencies?
And you still don't understand them but want to discuss them?

Were you born ass first too?
>>
Just all of Traveller's resolution system- 2d6 bellcurve, limited mods, result-8 to get effect; higher positive effect, better success; more negative effect, worse failure; shifting timescales to increase or decrease difficulty; chaining skill checks to gain bonuses. It's quick to resolve, inspires improv & creative thinking, and is really easy to mod or rebalance.
>>
>>81718863
Similar, but the difference is that chains, once closed, simply resolve in reverse order. The stack allows for new additions after spells have begun to resolve and also lets you do funky things with priority. Priority used to be more of a thing in Yugioh, but was simplified (for the better) in one of the major rules updates years ago.
>>
>>81713848
Got s list? The one I used to play around with was pretty clunky.
>>
File: when I play Jinteki.gif (1.13 MB, 408x304)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB GIF
>>81718663
Hell yeah, motherfucker.
>>
File: Mighty_deeds.png (827 KB, 1194x1544)
827 KB
827 KB PNG
Mighty Deeds of Arms from Dungeon Crawl Classics
>>
>>81728122
That was my first post in the thread. I was just astounded at what a fucking mong you were, but whatever helps you cope.
>>
>>81713964
Damn boy you can’t be this stupid
>>
>>81730026
That actually would make you even dumber, because you failed to understand that no one said anything about hating meta currencies as a broad concept.
It's like you just dropped in to make an instant fool of yourself. Good thing you’re on a vacation from Reddit and posting anonymously, right?
>>
The Doom board game has a Glory kill mechanic.

When a demons HP gets lowered to a it's "fatigue" lvl, a marine can just walk over the demon and kill it without spending an action to actually shoot it.

With that in mind, you could start chain linking kills and potentially sweep several demons in one swoop. That took turn based combat to a very efficient and fast degree, something it's seldom seen with.
That expanded my thought of HOW turn based combat could be played, that it most likely needs to evolve from it's conventional use.
>>
>>81731302
Bravley Default was also a game that did something similar
>>
>>
>>81731318
>>81731302
wait there's doom and bravely default tabletop?
>>
>>81711608
>Dogs in the Vineyard in general.
Its a great way of being able to scale levels of conflict and have it mesh well with character and drama.
>5core
Shock/Kill dice are one of the more elegant fire suppression vs kill shots mechanics I've seen in wargames.
>pbta 2d6 partial success
Gives good leeway for making rulings.
>Into the Odd autodamage
Makes dnd style combat very quick and gets across the violent content.
>>
>>81735755
Doom yes
Not for bravley default, it's just a mechanic that inovates turn based combat imo.
With the lending and saving actions and such

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.