[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PGWnjaQ.jpg (187 KB, 1680x1050)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Why does /tg/ hate the idea that anyone, even the greatest heroes, can die to a lucky shot by a lowly commoner? Roll two 20s in a row and you kill your target. It's that simple.

Ever heard what happened to King Richard the Lionheart, literally a level 20 fighter, who got one shotted by a commoner with a crossbow?

Ever heard how Geralt of Rivia canonically died? He got one shotted by a commoner with a pitchfork.
>>
>>81710035

He was killed in the chaos of a fight with a lot of failed checks (failed charisma, failed rep check, failed perception) being a mob fight and all. Hardly the ignominious end you were expecting realismfag.
>>
>>81710035
Because people don't want to make a whole another charatcer just because of one unlucky dice roll(s), nigger.
>>
>>81710035
Richard the Lionheart was at most level 3.
Also, I know of no games where rolling a 20 twice instakills whoever you're fighting. That is also unrealistic, since in the context of the likes of D&D, true high level folk are absurd superhumans who can simply ignore getting shot in the face with a cannonball because they're just that tough and can murder 20 feet tall giants armored in inches of steel with nothing but a tiny sword because they can hit just that hard. Etc, etc. A normal human cannot realistically harm such a being.
>>
>>81710414
Richard the Lionheart was the best in the world.

Best in the world = level 20
>>
>>81710035
There's plenty of high lethality systems out there though if that's what you want, but you just want to shitpost on /tg/ and whine about -oomers (insert your choice of spammed wojak here for which particular -oomer you want to pretend is an issue).
>>
Because games are supposed to be fun, and dying to a lucky commoner isn't fun.
>>
>>81710575
>best in the world.
Gilgamesh would have kicked the everliving shit out of him
>>
>why does the entirety of an imageboard with thousands of users all hold the same opinion on something that is very important to my stupid ass, and absolutely no one else???
>>
>>81710035
Because the rules simply don't support it. When they do I have no problem with it, but I'm not going to tell my players
>Sure you survived getting stabbed in the chest by that orc war chief, but the peasants knife deals damage equal to your HP now roll a new character
>>
File: Lurking pepe.jpg (68 KB, 892x892)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>81710035
It doesn't enforce their fantasy of Heroes being these immortal superpeople who had their luck maxed out to the point where you could shoot them at a pointblank range with a machinegun, and still fucking miss.

It might have been possible in early Bronze Age with Greeks, but then people learned that all you needed to do is to focus fire on the leader charging forth, and it's basically GG. That's what happened to Thebes's leadership - great leaders but died needlessly and didn't leave behind a competent successor.

Reality is that great leaders and military generals were supposed to sit in the sidelines and watch the whole show unfold and give swift command to the officers who're in the fray. It's essentially a real life strategy game.
>>
>>81710575
D&D World is not the real world.
>>
>>81710035
>i used to be an adventurer like you until i took an arrow to the knee
>>
>>81710035
Dying a sudden or random ignoble death by some incredibly pedestrian cause is the realm of real life, not storied heroes. It can be pulled off with sufficient dramatic irony like with Gerolt and the peasant but for the most part it's only going to fly in mudcore or historical groups.
>>
>>81710712
There are only thirteen posters on all of /tg/
>>
We need a script that autobans anyone who starts a thread with "Why does /tg/ hate..."
>>
>>81710575
Best in the real world = level 5 at most. The D&D world has a higher ceiling than the real world. And also, Richard was certainly not the best.
>>
>>81710763
>luck maxed out to the point where you could shoot them at a pointblank range with a machinegun, and still fucking miss
No, that's retarded. My Epic Fighter can ignore a minigun because his skin is harder than steel and absorbs any shock from the bullets, not because of some faggoty "luck".
>>
>>81710035
>>
>>81710035
DnD is not real life, it’s more like epic myths of heroes and legends. Heracles doesn’t die to a random arrow. King Arthur didn’t choke on a berry.
>>
>>81710712
Well, he is right about one thing. Any sane person on /tg/ or otherwise, hates whatever it is OP cares about.
>>
>>81710035
>>81710124
>>81711859
Even with Geralt, he LET HIS GUARD DOWN and was intending on letting the kid go free after he begged for his life.
Faggot OPs like this one make the mistake of trying to us D&D as an example (and it makes no sense), where a system like Riddle of Steel would make FAR more sense.
>>
>>81710035
Fantasy is unrealistic and games aren't fun when poor luck ends the game without any meaningful input from a given side.
>>
>>81710575
You are a fucking retarded, kill yourself.
>>
>>81710575
Based retard
>>
>>81710711
It's not very fair when you're almost 6 meters tall and have a massive advantage in reach
>>
>>81710035
Have you played a tabletop game in your life?
>>
File: 1622968843234.jpg (2.46 MB, 1407x1660)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>81710035
...Except King Richard survived being shot by the crossbow bolt, you retard. Sure the wound turned gangrenous and he died 10 days later, but he still had fight in him to pardon his assassin, and even pay him before dying in his mother's arms. This literally is all stuff you can find on Wikipedia. I know this is a shitpost but come on.
>>
>>81711875
agreed
>>
>>81711890
This.
>>
Having a PC die every 400 attack rolls made against the party would not make a fun game.
>>
>>81710170
Your character death happens always with one unlucky roll regardless of the level of lethality of your game imbecille.
Also rolling two 20 one after another has a 0,25% odds of happening, seems reasonable enough to me as an inherent risk in combat.
>>
>>81712005
I'm pretty sure trained shooters aren't that fucking retarded.
Every grunt who goes through basic knows you shoot the corpse before you advance past a body.
>>
>>81710035
>can die to a lucky shot by a lowly commoner?
The rules do support that. After the hero has lost his other hit points in other battles (or maybe long term never got them back) he can be killed by just about anything.

Last campaign I ran during one very long adventure set where there was no long rest option (using long rest house rule) the players were dreading even the most easy fight on the way back to where they could rest. Having fought any number of very powerful beings, they were terrified of running into a few orcs.
>>
>>81710035
It doesn't always make sense in every game. No mortal, no matter how skilled, is ever going to kill a Slayer-caste Infernal Exalt. Hell, hundreds of mortals will just be reduced to vomiting up their melted organs from radiation poisoning just from being within a mile of one's blistering hatred. A 1HD commoner would probably explode just from a level 20 warblade staring at them.
>>
>>81720403
>No mortal, no matter how skilled, is ever going to kill a Slayer-caste Infernal Exalt.
Exalted 3e/Essence disagrees.
>>
>>81719195
If you think that one dice roll is what sealed your fate and not a string of poor choices up to the point where your chances of survival are told by one roll of dice, then you are fucking retarded and should stop posting on /tg/
>>
File: Mysterious Duck.jpg (185 KB, 1200x1200)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>81710035
Why should I let the greatest villains die to a lucky shot to a random commoner when it's more amusing to humiliate them and have them countinue living with their pride broken?
>>
>>81722097
>going into combat
>not a bad choice
If you start a combat scene it's because either things have escalated to a point of no return or you have made terrible decisions.

>inb4 b-but muh d&d heroic fantasy!!
D&D is about a band of ADVENTURERS delving into dungeons and shit and not about the heroes of myth nigger.
>>
>>81722819
Touch grass
>>
>>81723025
>no argument
Kys
>>
>>81723028
Have sex
>>
>>81723039
41%
>>
>>81723042
Take meds
>>
>>81722047
Garbage edition, so it doesn't count
>>
>>81722819
No, D&D is about killing things. The most fun part if D&D is the hack & slash part. The adventure and treasure is totally secondary.
>>
>>81710035
>Attempt to slit character's throat in his sleep
>"N-No, you have to use a vorpal blade in order to kill him since he's super duper high level!"

Man, shut the fuck up. Anyone can be killed in their sleep.
>>
File: ETeS2EvU8AE9dkK.jpg (1.23 MB, 1200x1100)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>81710035
If it's just an ultra-rare combat roll situation then it's whatever, shit happens. I personally think heroes having unceremonious ends is cool in a Cormac McCarthy or Tarantino sort of way, though their works rarely feature heroes. Getting stabbed to death by a peasant is acceptable if there's meaning around it.
>>
Because having a PC die about once per every 400 attack rolls, regardless of skill, isn’t a fun game. 400 attack rolls may sound like a lot, but a mid-level party of 5 or 6?characters can hit that in 3 or 4 significant battles. Except they would never survive to reach mid level because they were auto killed on the way up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.