[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.


[Advertise on 4chan]


File: images (24).jpg (28 KB, 739x415)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
What are some subtle red flags
>>
They ask about red flags
>>
>"I've really wanted to play a game of [insert ttRPG] (for a while now)".

No matter how good of a QM I currently am, not even with god like story craft, I'd never be able to square-up my quests to the fantasies you've been endlessly indulging in.
>>
/tg/ poster
>>
>>81702917
>player gets visibly upset when his character has a pratfall even if the situation at hand remains entirely in control
>>
>>81703008
>subtle
>>
>he/she doesn't get upset when someone flakes
These players, as it turns out, don't actually care for the game.
>>
>>81702917

S/he doesn't read genre fiction (related to the game in question).
>>
>>81702996
Oh, that might be me.
>>
>>81702996
I don't think that's a useful one

I'd probably say something like that about Burning Wheel but I have no expectations for how it would go. I just want to learn how to play from people who know it, reading the rules left me still a bit lost and I think seeing it in action would help.

Nobody plays Burning Wheel though.
>>
You can usually pick them out after a medium-length conversation, based on what words they used.
>player agency
>mother-may-I
>mechanically
>action economy
>martial
>system mastery
>paid GMing
>quantum ogre
>telegraphing
>session zero
>milestone advancement
>hack
>unbalanced
>metagaming
>kicked
>facetank
>boss
>glass cannon
>encounter
>martial
>Macguffin
>questgiver
>viable
>character arc
>punishing yourself
>caster
>gish
>bladelock
>X does Y better than Y
>variant human
>refluff/reflavor
>BBEG
>misty step
>paid DMing
>roll20
>survivability
>Curse of Strahd
>>
>>81703058
>>81703081
>he/she
>>
>>81703121

You don't play with women? Sorry for you anon, your games must be shit.
>>
>>81703142
I'm sorry but why would his games be worse for not including women? Wouldn't that be a coincidence at best?
>>
>>81702917
Posts one sentence bait threads on /tg/.
>>
>>81702917

I have a lot of experience in RPG. I want to play a Healer/Tank/DPS.
>>
>>81703081
>S/he
Isnt this the actual situation where you use "they" in the english language?
>>
>>81703119
If by session zero you mean a one-shot for new group before campaign, whats wrong with that?
it filters out griefers, mary sue's, and people who just pretend that they want to play.
i agree with everything else.
>>
>>81703142
>>81703058
>Redflags
Redditors
>>
>>81703172
Yeah I use they without question because I'm not American, but it would have sounded like plural if I did it here >>81703058
>>
Brings up the X-card.
>>
>>81703166

Having mixed genders makes for a better creative environment
>>
>>81703253

>X-cards the x-card

Amazing
>>
>>81703119
Ok, never seen this term until lately.

What the fuck is a quantum ogre?
>>
>Hey anyone post on /tg/
>>
>>81703299
A ogre that lives in a quantum swamp.
>>
A GM that doesnt use homebrew what so ever.
>>
>>81702917
>gm adds a character to the game which is one of our dead friends who committed suicide.
> isnt in character in the slightest.
>after months of putting up with this for some reason the joke friend character kills himself in the game.
I'm so tired of it. I miss my real friend.
>>
>>81703262
That's entirely dependent on the individuals in question, not everyone will perform better in a mixed gender environment and it's foolish to pretend they will.
>>
>>81702917
Taking offense at jokes and bringing politics into the game
>>
>>81703299
The GM has prepared an Ogre statblock for the session's encounter.

The party comes to a fork in the road. If they take the left path, they come upon the Ogre. If they take the right path, they also come upon the Ogre, because that is what the GM had prepared.
>>
>>81703299
>lately
You must be 18 to post here
>>
>>81702917
Asks the group to play a ttrpg but he doesn't want to gm
>>
File: Subtle.png (290 KB, 739x415)
290 KB
290 KB PNG
>>81702917
>>
If your playing online, someone who

Constantly

Types their sentences

Like this

It suggests that they either lack the brainpower to formulate their thoughts into sentences or are distracted and doing something else. I had a guy like this in my last game and he was insufferable
>>
>>81702917
The DM tries to make the players feel bad about killing objectively evil things like vampires.
>>
>>81702917
why would you ask for subtle social cues from a imageboard full of people who are socially autistic/incompetent and thus are not able to identify social cues?
>>
>>81702917
>My setting is inspired by deltora quest
>>
>>81703646
Jesus fuck this. Played a Paladin in a party with a secret vampire PC. Mention my creed commands that I destroy abominations like the undead, etc. The vampire player is totally into the drama/tension of having to hide their condition so plays into it. The fucking DM completely misreads this whole interaction and immediately brings the session to a weird tangent where it becomes increasingly obvious that he's pulled an adventure completely out of his ass to essentially shame me into recanting on that part of my creed.
Later went to Hell, amd even the fucking demons were actually misunderstood and sympathetic. Pretty much became a metagame to me of assuming any threat that would otherwise reasonably be assumed to be evil/dangerous was actually nice instead and could instead be therapy sessioned into submission.
>>
>>81703497
Good job. You win the big prize.
>>
>>81703501
Confusing "your" and "you're" is unacceptable if you're going to be a stickler for the way people type.
>>
>>81703339
> after months of putting up with this for some reason the joke friend character kills himself in the game.
Based GM.
>>
>>81703119
Basically don't play D&D
>>
>>81703408
the term is only like 10 years old anon
a grognard boomer won't recognize it either even if he's familiar with the concept
>>
>>81703119
>I hate buzzwords
I bet you're a picky eater, too
>>
>>81703119
metagaming is generally bad, if a player recognizes this and is able to articulate it, it's good
>>
>>81703297
Kek

but I think he meant for GMs. If a GM brings up x-cards I basically assume they are a creep. You don't need a safe word if you aren't planning to push some boundaries.
>>
>>81702917
Taking time out of this game to talk about an other game they are in. Can't stand that shit.
>>
>>81703408
I've never heard that term and >>81703406 is pretty standard DM stuff that I never thought needed a specific term for it. Like no shit I didn't make an encounter just to present a situation where I may not actually use it.
>>
>>81703253
my answer to that is the X card represents a blackout. It skips the description but it still happens and the player who invoked it loses their ability to interact with or fight against what's happening
unless it's fingernail torture. Fuck fingernail torture, you can absolutely play the card on that
>>
File: 1598445092465.jpg (212 KB, 707x389)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>81703119
>Curse of Strahd
>>
>>81702917
>new player
>first character is a self-insert
>character dies, they're a good sport about it
>make a new character
>also a self-insert

Not a big one, but it's there.
>>
>>81704632
>He's never had his nail pulled out all the way from the root
Pussy
>>
>>81704526
>pretty standard DM stuff
The point where it becomes nonsensical is when you give them the illusion of choice when you in reality always intended for them to face the Ogre right then and there. A more proper move would be to have a lesser secondary encounter for the other way, a brief puzzle or RP-type thing or the like, and to use your Ogre stats a little bit down the line.
>>
>>81704526
then why wasn't the ogre at the crossroads instead?
>>
>>81703406
>Make a quest with three options of travel to reach the next point
>Two horses that can be rented and will get you there in a day
>A carriage that is delivering goods and will get you there in two days
>Head out on foot and get there in 4 days
>If option 1 is taken and they succeed in getting there while keeping the horses under control, they arrive safely. If they fuck up they make too much noise and attract an ogre’s attention that sets upon the horses when they stop and drink. If successful they get an extra day of investigation, if horses get eaten the remainder of the trip takes an extra day and they also gotta pay for the horses they rented.
>option 2 is actually a good way to get more information and the carriage driver is good at his job. No penalties or conflict on the way but the trouble is starting right when they arrive.
>Option 3 is safe traveling, but when they arrive shit has gone down hill pretty fast. Important NPCs are dead and they gotta deal with an empowered adversary.
>Players pick option 1
>Get ogred
>claim they were quantum ogred
>>
>>81702917
>the monster manual says they're chaotic evil, sooo...
>>
>>81705061
The OP says red flags, not green flags.
>>
>>81705075
Found the red flag.
>>
>>81705085
Nits make lice, troon. :)
Your "orcs but good" aren't interesting or special.
>>
>>81702917
mine from personal experience are...

>1.) plays a monster/exotic race
i got nothing against them but there's something about them that brings out the worst in people

>2.) set in the warhammer universe
i have never EVER heard a good story of someone playing anything warhammer related. be it fantasy, 40K or AoS it's been nothing but horror stories. also wargaming is banned from my LGS because of the negative reputation that community has in my area while the one place that sold warhammer locally minis went under 6 or 7 years ago.

>3.) constantly brings up/makes comparisons to their favorite game/show/movie/book/etc. when discussing the game and never shuts up about it.
pretty self explanatory and is the reason i will never like or get into warcraft, AoT or GoT.
>>
>>81703798
>Implying a hyper-lethal osr deltora quest campaign wouldn't be great
>>
>>81704732
while not a self insert i basically did something like that in a PF game i got dragged into.

i legitimately didn't give a shit and just made a character for the sole purpose of being generic as possible that way if they died i would just change the name of the character and reuse the sheet.

i feel like the DM caught on to this as my character never died before i just got burnt out from the game and quit although the DM ultimately nixed perma death because one of our players thought a session without player death is irresponsible DMing and almost TPKed the party as a "fuck you" to the DM.
>>
The fact that the first reply wasn't just a desaturated version of that tedious red flag image disappoints me.
>>
>>81703172
No. In English, "They" refers to plurals. Using "they" to refer to a singular is a grammatical error, though one made increasingly commonly these days. Either "he" or "she" would be correct in this context.
>>
>>81704260
Is that a bad thing?

>>81704361
Sort of. I don't eat food from third world countries so maybe.

>>81704406
True, but constant metadiscussion from players is cringe. At least be willing to close the 4th wall.
>>
>>81705534
There was only a rather short window when that was true.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/they
>>
>>81705534
Shakespeare is more of an authority on English than you. Chaucer is too, actually.
>>
>>81705178
>>2.) set in the warhammer universe
Not one I agree with but I do understand. So many people have different ideas of what Warhammer is and in Fantasy found people always wanted something way more epic than I feel usually works in the setting. The only WHFRP campaigns I have run with any success were set in Lustria.
>>
>>81702982
fpbp
>>
>>81705534
The singular "they" has been in use at least since the time of Shakespeare. I know English is hard, but the least you could do is try.
>>
>>81702996
i say this all the time and i barely mean anything by it
>>
>>81705534
Nah singular they dates back centuries, all encompassing she dates back few decades. If you want to be an autist unknown gender defaults to male.
>>
>>81705120
>nits make lice
>>
>>81703044
>Your character is needlessly embarassed
>"Wow, you got mad, how toxic."

Deep-throat a loaded shotgun.
>>
>>81702917
Anyone like this faggot
>>81705120
>>
People who ask for guns in a game that doesn't have guns.
>>
>>81706339
It's literally a quote from Gygax on this exact subject, you fucking ninny. DF asked him about the infamous "orc baby" scenario from Keep on the Borderlands, and he said killing them was never a dilemma in his mind when he wrote it. Evil begets evil.
>>
>>81706423
Yes, and even his own players called him out on it, which is why minotaurs and such have been playable since 1E you donut
>>
>>81706423
>dumb shit some dead boomer said
Who gives a shit?
>>
File: gobbos.png (670 KB, 1066x918)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>81706429
>>
>>81706458
that guy literally teams up with a lizardman necromancer, you're not helping your argument.
>>
>>81702917
> "My pronouns are..."
> "I'm effectively bi-sexual..."
> "I support repatriations..."
> "I have a homebrew class that I want to..."
> "I'm playing a Tiefling..."
> "Hear me out, but I want to create firearms..."
>>
>>81705120
>>81706339
>>81706423
this is a very funny topic. There's a little reference to that story in my personal setting in regards to how the Goblin communities that show up in cosmopolitan cities come to be in the first place. They were usually founded by Goblin infants originally saved and brought there by adventurers with a sense of compassion for them. And on the topic of a red flag:
>Player finds it offensive that these communities tend to be ripe with crime
>>
>>81705085
>people whining about red flags
bright crimson flag
>>
>>81705061
but this is literally the rules. So it can't be red flag, unless you think playing according to the rules is a red flag
>>
>>81706429
>his own players called him out on it
Bullshit. They, more than anyone, understood that Lawful Good does not mean Lawful Retard. Why the fuck do you think thkse babies survived into the released module?
>muh minotaurs
Yeah, and they distinctly were labeled as "chaotic," which the LBB equated with evil. As were Orcs.
>>81706456
>UM GO BACK TO POL?
>its a quote from arguably the most important RPG-related tg figure
>UM OK BOOMER
Rope, now.
>>81706494
I don't even get the apprehension or discomfort about it. It's a fake fantasy creature, motherfuckers. Black humans exist, and they're not racist caricatures. Who gives a shit if the fake green humanoid is unredeemably evil? You're not reviving the Slave trade by killing him. It's all make believe.
>>81706593
Honestly, at the end of the day, this. I don't have many ideological convictions, I just can't stand any faggot trying to police or judge everyone around them.
>>
>>81702917
>"my character is a mute"
So you want to be a snowflake, and do so specifically in a way that means you don't have to, and practically can't roleplay at all? Get fucked.
>>
>>81703058
>if you don’t shit your pants and start screaming because some guy had a funeral to attend instead of playing tabletop, you don’t care about the game
i love this board
>>
File: 1482776141637.jpg (350 KB, 1198x1238)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
>>81706526
What's wrong with these? It's coming to play make believe and those are things you can do when you play make believe as this is the correct outlet for those fantasies.

Separate from all that, would pic related be considered a red flag as too fetishy for a player?
>>
>>81706607
I think not understanding the rules is a pretty big red flag, anon.
>>
>>81702917
Kenku. I don't DM D&D 5e much but I always ban them. A player got me to allow them once and he was my worst player that didn't start ranting about politics and start a fist fight. Just an absolutely miserable human being to play with and worst of actual tropes you would expect out of a greentext story instead of a human being.
>>
>>81702917
They have a collection of characters they want to use in a game, already statted up ready to just "Drop in" to a game. Means they're not really thinking about anything outside themselves.

This isn't the same as having some character concepts they want to try.
>>
>>81706526
> "My pronouns are..."
Instant kick, won't even bother to read the rest
>>
>>81706526
>"I support repatriations..."
Would you elaborate?
>>
>>81704784
No, they have a choice between facing an ogre on the left path or facing the ogre on the right path. I planned an ogre fight but there's two ways to get to him, >>81704978, the path is just as important as the actual fight, are you going to reach the Enchanted Forest going over the Mountain or going through the Mines of Mediocrity ? You'll end up in the same forest, fight the same ogre I had planned, but the choice very much mattered because you picked Mines and now the magician's dead. it also matters because of time, the right path you chose was easier, but it also took you twice as long so now you only have 3 weeks instead of 4 to destroy the Cursed Artifact.
>>
>>81703501
I'll generally do that in informal communications like texting or IM because it's more like a conversation. There's literally nothing you can do to stop me
>>
>>81702996
I honestly have 0 expectations so anything involving me playing would make me happy.
>>
>>81703297
>>81703253
The fuck is an x-card?
>>
>ask people's pronouns in the advert
>/pol/ types instantly get filtered

So glad I discovered this trick.
>>
>>81706526
Honestly the gun one and the homebrew class are plots I'm willing to at least listen, I have learnt the hard way you avoid the other retards immediately

Flintlocks can be cool or creating a bolt action magic wand or flame tube analogue is fucking awesome, it can bite you in the ass though so I understand not allowing it

If I can edit the homebrew as much as I want I don't oppose it, but I tell them to be mindful that others are at the table and won't put up with stupid shit, if you go full retard I'm making you a commoner on the spot

Do you have any terrible experience with homebrew classes?
>>
>>81707783
If something in a freeform storytelling game is a bit too much for you, you can touch a card with an X on it to signal the referee you're uncomfortable and they should move on from it.

Perfectly sensible idea for grown-ups who might not know each other. Naturally it upsets a lot of fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>81706526
Homebrew class after fixing it i may allow and tieflings sure. Im not sure about firearms
Im not touching the repatriations thing
>>
>>81706363
Thank you for your visual aid on what a serious business cunt who can't differentiate IC and OOC looks like.
>>
>>81706526
> "Hear me out, but I want to create firearms..."
Red flag, but for the system for not already having a means to do it. Being afraid of guns is the mark of a blubbering pussy dev.
>>
>>81703119
>terminology and jargon made for my hobby makes me upset
>>
>>81706615
You are creatively bankrupt if you think that a mute character cant role play
They can easily be the character that rps the most in your game that is if they are creative
>>81706658
Elaborate please
>>
>>81705534
Tell me you didn't study English academically without telling me.
>>
>>81706526
I hate all of the ones you listed, but ESPECIALLY firearms
>>
>>81707837
Oh i play with close friends and our DM knows us well so this isnt really a problem
And ofc no sex scenes or magical relms
That is a logical system tho
>>
>>81706526
>"I have a homebrew class that I want to..."
Lemme look it over and if it isn't glaringly broken and fits the setting of my game go for it. I reward creativity but exercise the right to modify it potentially.
>>
>>81707818
Based
>>
>>81707783
It's the "tell your gm to fuck off with their magical realm or asking them to skip past the gross stuff" without saying it.
It's inferior to lines and veils or red/yellow/green light by miles.
>>
>>81705564
No, it's not
>>
>>81707783
Some BS taken from ERP games and shoved into normal games. Like having a fetish, I'm sorry, pride parade show up outside your kids school. It's not anything anyone with a spine should put up with.
>>
>>81702917
>player brings up their characters sexual orientation completely unprompted
>>
>>81705486
Or a small red flag in a larger picture that would be easy to miss.
>>
>>81703262
This would imply women are capable of creativity.
>>
>>81706632
"I don't get the big deal mom, just cremate grandpa. This is the session where we take down Strahd! You want me to just tell the denizens of Barovia that they can just wait another 300 years before they can be free. For fucks sake your selfish. Grandpa was old anyways and played mathfinder"
>>
>>81703262
I know its hard to fathom, but bear with me anon: creativity isnt stored in balls or vagina. Nor is it stored inside of you, but you shouldnt be too surprised about this.
>>
File: Least Charitable.png (356 KB, 684x813)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
>>81706632
>>
>>81708639
It's probably just a r/4chan plebbitor. They tend to do that
>>
>>81707363
>Would you elaborate?
They mean they want the migrants to go back where they came from.
>>
>>81708645
/r/4chan is worse than the worst of 4chan.

"let's be like 4chan" has done more harm to the internet than the worst of 4chan and /pol/. It's mostly started to die as the site has unfortunately become more palatable to people like them, but you'll still see their vapors and traces, that sort of attitude on them in places or following certain people.

Filthy Frank's killing of his channel was intentionally to try to rid the world of these types of people or give them less of a home. It scattered most of them, but a good portion grew up. Others didn't and others bought into it and formed their own echo chamber discords.

Fight them at all costs. They will never make anything, they will never hold a unique belief of their own for fear of ridicule.
Their worst fear is ending up in a cringe comp and they will hurt and belittle anyone who worries them.
>>
File: Aragorn.jpg (160 KB, 1200x928)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>My character is a ranger.
I shit you not. I've played with a lot of different randoms in the past few months, more than 30. Paladins weren't the problem, warlocks weren't the problem, le meme bards were never an issue. The rangers were consistently the worst players in the group - always quiet, never engaging with the game outside of combat, and making me wonder why they even came to the game.
Four rangers, different players, all of them exactly the same.
>>
>>81708696
I don't know about that. All I know is that whenever some anon posts "the sky is blue" they take a screenshot and then repost as
>/TG/ ANON SAYS THE SKY IS BLUE EVEN AT NIGHT, I FUCKING LOVE THIS BOARD
>>
>>81704784
If the players don't know is it a problem? I say no, there's only so much you should need to prep and if the ogre's your main play then they'll run into it somewhere.
Might be it's a monster kept by the pirates on the docks, might be it's just a random encounter or imagines itself a knight errent protecting the ruins.
But you're gonna fight it one way or another
>>
>>81705178
>i have never EVER heard a good story of someone playing anything warhammer related.

Any examples or reasons why? I'm about to run a game of DH for people new to 40k and now I'm worried.
>>
>>81702996
QM?
Anon, you making shit up again?
>>
>>81708844
That's Queer Master, you bigot! How dare you not support the LGBTQRSVOMGWTFBBQ!
>>
>>81703501
>your

But seriously though... people who... overuse ellipses are... a million... fucking times... worse...
>>
>>81702917
People who want to keep shit about their characters secret. I don't know what kind of fucked up sense of power it gives you to be keeping secrets for no reason, but this isn't a PvP campaign. Work with your party. Don't give me any of that shit about immersion, either, it couldn't be any more obvious of a lie when you can't be assed to actually role play in the first place.

Overall, people who don't like and trust each other shouldn't play with each other in the first place.
>>
>>81703172
Ignore the retard, both singular they and he would be correct.
>>
>>81708722
Rangers were a mistake.
>>
>>81707433
That's not quantum ogre. Quantum ogre refers to a situation where the players are given an illusion of choice: whether they choose the right or the left road doesn't matter at all, because they both lead to the exact same situation.
>>
>>81708722
>tfw this describes my groups ranger
Well maybe you're on to something
>>
>>81707783
It's supposed to exist as a way to avoid uncomfortable topics without having to outright say it's making you comfortable.
it never works because human beings are capable of conversation and if something is making you uncomfortable enough that you need to draw attention to it, you can pull the DM to the side and explain to him whats up. If he refuses to stop, either man up and deal with it or leave the group.
The people who aren't capable of talking to the DM don't even use x-cards when poush comes to shove and just quietly seethe about it anyways and shit talk later.(see the time the Dungeon World guy got cancelled).
>>
>>81708722
>The rangers were consistently the worst players in the group - always quiet, never engaging with the game outside of combat, and making me wonder why they even came to the game.
To slay some monsters? Anyways, if you want to activate a Ranger, give party a pet wolf cub or something like that.
>>
>>81703172
The way gender evolved in PIE descended languages, you originally had only animate and inanimate in the pre-literate period. Over time these became masculine (active) and feminine (passive). As sentence structure became complex and more ambiguous situations arose you got the next two genders; indeterminate (unknown) and neuter (neither). In modern English you would use either the masculine 'he' or indeterminate 'they' when talking about a person whose descriptive noun is unknown or has variable gender (as people are active but the gender is potentially unknown). You would only ever use 'she' in cases where the descriptive noun is certain to be feminine; ie someone accurately described as a 'girl', 'woman', 'mother' ect.

Anyone telling you that 'they' can't apply because it's plural is a retard because I can guarantee 100% they use 'you' as a singular even though 'you' is the plural of the singular 'thou'. Those retards know one bit of trivia and think they're experts.

Oh, and there was a pedophile named John Money who applied gender (a linguistic concept) to actual people to justify his sexual abuse of children in the name of 'research' and 'treatment'. Anyone who claims gender is a thing people have or insists on the existence of 'gender identity' is using his work as a basis for their worldview and should be avoided.
>>
>>81703798
Fuck you Deltora Quest rocks
>>
>>81706632
Yeah I'm definitely talking about people with legitimate reasons for not attending, and not assholes who manage to sleep through or double book on a time they agreed to.
Kill yourself you dumb useless disingenuous faggot.
>>
>>81708878
Yes very clever anon.
>>
>>81706363
Self-report in action
>>
>>81703406
That's basic fucking GMing though, what? Player decisions that result in less fucking content aren't a good thing, you aren't there to 'beat' the GM.
>>
>>81707818
>Stuck playing with troons and other mentally ill "people"
>Get canceled for some minor transgression
>40% of your players suicide irl

Hell of a trick
>>
>>81709530
Money tried to prove that "gender identity" is entirely taught/learned and failed miserably at it.
Nowadays gender is used both as an innate concept (basically brain sex) and as cultural (gender/gender roles). This means that concept of gender has evolved beyond linguistics, and not only that, there are people who use this word to describe entirely different things.
So nah, everything but word gender in regards to money was thrown into a trashbag, and you cant pinpoint someones beliefs on the use of the word alone
>>
>>81708878
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>81710285
meanwhile I have a dictionary that defines gender as the physical sex of a person so the psychology course can take a hike. Language may evolve over time but it does so naturally, not because some outraged sociology student says so
gender is not a social construct. What we expect of each gender is. Breaking out of the anticipated norms is not evidence that you're a girl on the inside
>>
>>81706633
Doesn't seem overtly fetishistic anon.
Reeks of extreme fucking edginess though.
>>
>>81707885
I don't hate guns myself, but nine times out of ten when I have a player who wants fine where they don't exist, they give done flimsy justification for it, usually inventing gunpowder then skipping straight to firearms.
They also tend to go apeshit when someone besides then has access to guns.
>>
>>81707920
>no magical realms
I found out combat itself was one of my players magical realms.
>>
>>81702996
Underrated, I've been on both sides of this and it's absolutely true.
>>
>>81703406
How would a player even know that this was happening?p4j0h
>>
>>81703058
>If you think the group can't just play a one shot that week, you don't care about the game
>>
>>81703339
That's incredibly fucked on the gms part.
>>
>>81702982
This really.
>>
File: 1624889486122.jpg (63 KB, 368x366)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>81703339
Y'all need a fucking therapist.
>>
>>81706526
What's wrong with firearms? I mean just make them the kind the hussites used, give the setting some XV vibes; something that works well if you want elaborated armor and weapons in the game, make them work stat wise just like a crossbow and that's it.
>>
>>81703339
nigga they said subtle, not public announcement of sociopathy
>>
>>81703262
Lmao.
>>
>>81703339
The fuck
>>
>>81703119
These are common terms and slang within the rpg community. You might as well say using words like "hammer" or "crooked" is a subtle red flag in carpentry.
>>
>>81713875
>that's the joke
>>
>>81703339
clever idea, crude execution
>>
>>81706613
He was upset because he didn't recognize the quote because he has idpol brain, as evidenced by the fact that he tried to start /pol/ shitposting for no apparent reason at all.
>>
>>81713294
How does dismissing one-shots equate to enabling poor attendance?
>>
>>81708987
Noone uses quantom ogre that way you double nigger.
A DM might have an encounter set up with a thief on the first city the players enter, because a thief could feasably be in any city. That doesn't mean the cities are the same.
>>
>>81714138
>>81707433
This is not quantum ogre. What's "quantum" about this, idiot? When people facetiously refer to something as quantum they're referring to how observation and interaction change the subject's state.
In this case, the DM says "there are two paths, left and right. There is an ogre down one path." The party chooses a path. The DM says "oh drat you picked the path with the ogre." The position of the ogre was not finalized until the party interacted with the path, because the DM was going to throw the ogre at them anyway.
The party is made to believe that their decision mattered and if they had gone the other way they could have avoided this encounter, but really it didn't.
That's what Quantum Ogre is referring to, not "multiple routes leading to one destination."
>>
>>81703497
Opened the thread only to see if someone would make this post.
>>
>>81703058
Sometimes shit happens, my dude, it can't always be helped.
But also, maybe you're just a shit GM and they're all too polite to tell you.
>>
>yt male
that's a yikes from me
>>
>>81703178
He doesn't mean a one shot, he means an entire session to set up backstory and relations between characters.

Though I typically have one just because I have friends that take forever to decide what to play.
>>
>>81703339
Everyone expresses grief and loss differently. Your friend is a psychopath though.
>>
File: d&d_players3.png (666 KB, 948x833)
666 KB
666 KB PNG
>>81713875
>>81713894
It's not a joke, faggots. Constant meta-talk is cringe and if you need "jargon" to discuss your hobby then you have reduced it to a mundane commodity like everything else. Also it reinforces tropes and creates mental shortcuts that inhibit your ability to actually experience the game. Leading to games based on 1940s british culture blended with 1600s Chinese imperialism with steampunk and existential angst, in a desperate attempt to dodge tropes, when most of those involved don't have anything close to the talent to pull off such a game, and thus further reveal what a joke their hobby is. Stupid slang has permeated the RPG community to such a point that most players come to their first session with so many preconceived expectations of what an RPG is (and by "RPG" we mean D&D 5e, of course, knowing these fucking normfags) that there is basically no point in actually playing the game, just make a few bard seduction haha nat20 jokes then go home. Or just try to go through the DM's campaign and play spot-the-trope and ruin it for everyone. There's no wonder or passion amongst these fat neckbearded fucks, working overtime 52 hours a week at WalMart so they can afford to consoom the latest Patreon shit. it's just another thing for them.
>"Bro I spent 55 dollars on a new set of 5e rules that will totally optimize my build and also paid 5 dollars as a tip to my favorite YouTuber who showed me the build in his latest video also subbed to him on Patreon and his trans gf does an art stream and I won a raffle for her to draw my character! I'm gonna epically pwn so much next game!"
Fucking soulless.
>>
>>81702982
fpbp
>>
>>81703058
Is this the equivalent of the coach who says that if you didn't cry when you loose a game then you weren't trying hard enough?
>>
>>81703299
>What the fuck is a quantum ogre?
My understanding of a quantum ogre is an encounter that will happen regardless of player action removes the illusion of player agency. The GM plans for an ogre encounter and sets up a situation where the players find signs of an ogre ahead so take action to avoid it but encounter the ogre anyway. The issue is that it is removing that illusion that player choice matters.
>>
>>81706543
Anyone have a link to that manga where they spare a demon child that had killed someone's kid and then later it "pays them back" by burning down someone's house so their kid is orphaned and can be adopted? When they ask it why it was crying for its mother earlier it replies "so you'd stop trying to kill me."

Really hammered in the idea of demons being psychopaths.
>>
>>81716926
dude chill. just dont play with them lol.
from like hundred people i know who play, no one touched D&D and maybe 5 people use "jargon", and only as a party trick -
>have you heard what quantum ogre is? remember <insert neckbeard>? he does this haha
>>
>Only plays a paladin if it is a class
>>
>>81717056
>dude chill
Fucking neck yourself. Its passive fags that let all of these hobbies degenerate to consoomerist mediocrity
>>
File: singing stops.png (237 KB, 645x466)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
>>81703339
>>
File: retard.png (80 KB, 211x244)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>81716926
>>
File: sketch-1634167438608.png (445 KB, 1099x1080)
445 KB
445 KB PNG
>>81702917
Unironically posts /pol/ or /b/ screencaps in the Tabletop Club's discord. It's unironically time to stop, Oliver.

He's probably on /pol/ screencapping his own posts right now
>>
>>81718205
>popular thread section
what did he mean
>>
>>81714332
If the paths are different though, that can still lead to a different experience. Fighting an Ogre in a swampy forest where it has cover from trees and it's hard to run away because of muddy water is different from an encounter with an ogre in a mountain pass where it throws rocks at the party from a ledge above them.
>>
>>81716442
I'm a player but that's interesting projection.
Anyway what about the times it can be helped but it isn't? It shows a lack of commitment and/or enthusiasm, and that also goes for the other players who don't care whether that person bothers to come or not.
On top of that TT sessions are a social activity. If you go somewhere and then find out your friend can't make it, aren't you disappointed you won't get to see your friend that week? Even if you're not mad at them.
>>
File: IMG_20211013_193957.jpg (996 KB, 1080x6436)
996 KB
996 KB JPG
>>81718231
I assume this
>>
>>81707818
>>81707937
lurk more before posting
>>
>>81710328
go back to r*ddit newfag and stop shitting up the thread.
>>
>>81718205
>>81718413
>/s4s/
>/pol/
do you even know what /pol/ is? /pol/ has never shown up in the popular thread section for good reason.
>>
>>81708879
Chicago Style. . . is clearly. . . better. . .
>>
>>81718983
Well, it has, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far away.
>>
>>81719101
/pol/ is too based, redpilled, and cancerous to be on the popular boards page. Also anybody who talks about /pol/ outside of 4chan, whether in a good, bad, or neutral light, is a big red flag. Actually talking about 4chan outside of 4chan is a big flag unless you are talking about a specific general.
>>
>>81710130
>Yeah I'm definitely talking about people with legitimate reasons for not attending
you def were mein nigga.
>>
>>81719165
You literally don't understand what "flake" means if you assume it's just a player having the inability to attend a session because of something coming up.

Flaking reffers to a player dipping for an extremely flimsy reason, such as "I didn't feel like it" or "i forgot sorry". And that's if you're lucky and such a reason even exists at all.
>>
>>81719223
You can't just say that a person not making it to a session is an "extremely flimsy reason". Are you this much of a tightass in your irl sessions?
>>
>>81719243
> An extremely flimsy reason such as "I didn't feel like it" or "i forgot"
Did you even read what I posted?
Yes I expect you to show up on the agreed upon time on the agreed upon day if you yell me you want to participate and agree on the time and date. Assuming you're not fucking thirteen years old, you can manage a schedule. If you don't have time to do so then you shouldn't have signed up or you should have worked out a day when you could.
Christ, do you think everyone else needs to bend over backwards to accommodate you? Get your entitled ass out of my group if you keep showing up late or don't show up at all.
>>
>>81717734
those "hobbies" were consumerist and "mediocre at best" before you were born.
sperging out about neckbeards who want to fuck d&d tables is just pathetic.
in community i know just mentioning "i want to play d&d" is like getting redflagged when everyone wants to play either weeb systems, almost-no-crunch-everyone-is-a-DM indie crap, or WoD. Always WoD.
If there's a powergamer, everyone just plays with it. He says "i just want self-insert that kills everyone and i know how to powerplay the system to do this" and suddenly eveyone can focus on something different then killing kobolds or whatever.
Only Mutties play D&D. Only retards buy books for 50$ that have crunch for STORYTELLING.
>>
>>81702917
>unironically uses the term "idpol" >>81713917
>>
>>81719314
>Assuming you're not fucking thirteen years old, you can manage a schedule.
>Christ, do you think everyone else needs to bend over backwards to accommodate you? Get your entitled ass out of my group if you keep showing up late or don't show up at all.

It's just a game, do you except everyone life to revolve around it. People have jobs, families, and errands. Missing a session should not be the end of the world like you say it is. People like you who take this hobby to seriously are the ones who ruin it for everyone.
>>
>>81719360
if you have session for 5 people once per 2 weeks (normal rpg schedule) going "nah i dont want to" is disrespecting other 4 ppl and after second-third time you do shit like this (wasting other adults time) your character should suddenly get SUPER-AIDS off-camera and you should be blacklisted.
We have board games just for situations like this, so its not moot when someone doesnt have time.
>>
>>81719408
>SUPER-AIDS
how mature
>>
>>81719165
>>81719243
>>81719360
What the fuck are you on about? Of course someone will miss a session when something important comes up. It's so obvious it's not worth mentioning.
Flakes will disrespect everyone and their time for a non-reason and probably won't bother informing you in advance like a normal person should. Others have jobs and families too, and their free time is precious.
In what world is it okay to tell someone to meet you somewhere and you treat it like it's no big deal if you forget about it or you decide to stand them up? What if it's a family member or close friend, do you think of them as obligations and not persons?
>>
>>81719408
Okay. I get it, but do you ever take the time to see if the person is missing it because of mental issues? Treating the session as some kind of urgent deadline create a rough and cruel atmosphere that would not be beneficial for a fun session.
>>
>>81719443
>Flakes will disrespect everyone and their time for a non-reason and probably won't bother informing you in advance like a normal person should.

Generalizing a group of people and actions as "Flakes" is problematic, in that it makes the person feel like their mental health is second to other people's enjoyment. If they miss once or twice you should tell them that maybe this isn't the best campaign for them and maybe let them watch or suggest something else, but writing them off as lazy, selfish, ingrates does nothing for the session and just alienates future players.
>>
Player in our friend groups game.
>Always rolls low, like constant 1's to 5's
>Genuinely cries over it
>Self-deprecates about it non-stop
>Incredibly frustrated if character dies
>A woman
>>
>>81719505
why does it matter if its a woman? Why did you feel the need to include that?
>>
>>81719461
>have you thought that this person might be sad? :(
half of the people on earth have mental illness. a fact. most just have good coping mechanisms to not sperg out. Also, if you dont want to talk about this openly, you cant expect other people to babysit you when you are like 30.
Sessions are urgent deadline because only deadbeats can waste 4 hours of free time if you are an adult with responsibilites.

You are probably a flake. and judging by your
"you should help them :((" attitude a snowflake at that.
dont expect adult people to hold your hand because life is cruel.
>>81719534
yes, i wonder why he mentioned that. you really are trying to turn this into a /pol/ troon hate thread right?
>>
File: That fucking cat.jpg (40 KB, 565x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>81719534
You know why.
>>
>>81719491
>problematic
D&D is not group therapy, and the DM is not a psychiatrist. If you're having mental health trouble, or whatever the fuck you seem to be projecting on the "flake" as a player archetype, then you should probably be paying a professional a visit instead of scheduling games with friends (or strangers) that you know deep down you're going to weasel out of or don't have the bandwidth to participate in.
This isn't rocket science, and D&D is not a vector for you to cry for help. Its supposed to be a fun diversion from life's mundane stresses, like any other hobby.
>>
>>81719573
>you really are trying to turn this into a /pol/ troon hate thread right?
I am not the one making a complete ass of him/herself, if you don't want to be called out as a /pol/yp then stop acting like one.
>>
>>81719606
okay, I phrased that wrong. I just think that automatically labeling a missed session as flaking does more harm than good.
>>
File: 1632776932483.jpg (35 KB, 480x313)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>81719613
>>
>>81703119
Just post the picture faggot
>>
>>81719624
Like, at least have some flexibility on the scheduling, life is not always set in stone and severely punishing people for 1 or 2 missed sessions, in my opinion, will dissuade new players. If someone is actually "flaking" then sure, by all means, but for someone who this behavior is new, I see no reason to work with them for the first few times
>>
>>81719624
i think you are a dimwit. from the start it was said that we are talking about a consistent missing sessions without a notice before, which is a form of griefing.
>>
>>81719680
Fine. I understand. I won't continue this conversation anymore. Thank you for the responses.
>>
>>81702917
>Chaotic Neutral,Good and True Neutral
>Tiefling
>>
>>81719624
>>81719678
Literally no one is labeling someone a "flake" for missing one session, you fucking dinguses. The flake exhibits a recurring pattern of behavior, otherwise their frequent absence wouldn't be regular enough to be an issue or even of note.
Stop construing "I'm missing the game because my mom died," once with "Oh, sorry is the game right now? I can't, I have a headache" every other session and this might finally start making some sense to you.
>>81719694
I don't hate flakes, especially if they've obviously got issues. I hate that they put everyone in that awkward position because they don't have the good manners to just admit they can't devote the time or attention or headspace they want to be devoting (and that everyone else can).
>>
>>81719742
did a flake steal your girlfriend?
>>
>>81719461
>>81719491
Fuck you, you piece of shit. One player in my group sometimes doesn't attend because of depression, and we are understanding with him.
And here you are trying to make any kind of arrangement completely lax, allowing everyone to agree to it without committing. That enables exactly the kind if shit you mentioned like laziness and selfishness. And you try to make mental illness just an excuse. Fuck off.
If someone is not in the right headspace for a campaign they shouldn't be in it in the first place. Instead games offer a good time and one is free to enjoy it as long as they don't bring in their problems with them.
>>
>>81719795
who hurt you?
>>
>>81702917
>Pronouns
>>
>>81719781
Nope. Just played in and run too many games torpedoed because one singular flake brought the entire campaign to a screeching halt and everyone else was too awkward to go on without them.
Scheduling a regular game of 2-3 hours with six other working adults is a pain in the fucking ass as is.
Adding in one inconsiderate faggot who isn't willing to just step back until they've got their shit sorted or until they actually care enough to set aside the time everyone else has doesn't improve that process.
>>81719830
We're finally at that part where you realize you're wrong but do that retarded autistic thing where you try to pretend you've been expert 5D trolling us instead of being a fucking retard this whole time.
>>
>>81706607
Orcs in my games are always evil but if I'm the GM and I decide they aren't then they aren't, no matter what your gay little book says. If you have a problem with that then you can step up and GM.
>>
>>81702917
>Chaotic Neutral Tiefling
>Treats all Fantasy Races (better called species) like just different flavors of humans. Sort of an "Orcs are people too" attitude even after they just slaughtered another players hometown.
>5e Pre-written Adventurer
>GM Player Character
>Game prioritizes pre-written "STORY" over character choices, setting, and game play.
>Player at the table prioritizes pronouns above all else in Character bio and gets visibly upset when someone makes an honest mistake.
>Insists that GM allow a homebrew class/race/background/THING and is angry when they are told no.

These are all generalizations, but the biggest ones that I see in a game about to go bad.
>>
File: 081.gif (2.36 MB, 320x287)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB GIF
>>81719889
This, a million times this. The most crimson of the red flags.
>>
>>81719905
>Orcs in my games are always evil
...okay? Then why are you even replying, you powertripping faggot? You're not talking to anyone at your table right now. And you fundamentally agree with the actual subject of the argument (i.e., Orcs are evil).
>>
>>81719890
weird. i only had flakes when i was like 15 and other players were about this age too.
When you work, you suddenly start respecting other people's time
>>
>>81719830
>who hurt you?

Not the anon you are arguing with, but seriously hate this response. You address nothing he just mentioned and try to take a 'smug' moral high ground. Maybe instead of trying to a smug twitter-reddit dumbass you should try to reply to his points?
>>
>>81719975
welcome to 4chan.
>>
>>81719905
I'm actually okay with this. I just hate when a pre-established ruling on certain races being evil monsters gets bent for a couple of players trying to stand out and change the ruling for their special character.
>>
>>81719958
I envy you then. My last group of 2 years completely fell apart because one person slipped into regularly canceling over nothing with little notice. At first it was small and we were considerate. Yeah, you gotta work this Saturday, we'll try later or next week or whatever. The problem is, placating them only made them do it more frequently and with even less notice, and over increasingly nebulous "Eh, I don't feel good, sorry" shit. Started out early in the week and usually work related. By the time my wife and I checked out, it was regularly like an hour before gametime at best and it became a running joke between us to bet when they'd call out.
We left that group but still keep in touch and laugh because we can still see their scheduling discussion notifications and STILL the flake is flaking. And quietly, the other players engagement has lessened to basically nothing too.
TL;DR grown ass adults absolutely do it too
>>
>>81705612
>Shakespeare is more of an authority than you
>Chaucer is too
Please, tell me more about how people who lived 5 centuries ago are authorities on the modern English language.
>>
>>81720077
Tell me how people who lived 100 years ago are authorities on it, because those are the only ones in the entire history of the language to try and claim singular they isn't proper. Modern English and historical English all agree on it being proper. Only some losers from the late 1800s disagree.
>>
>>81703339
Made me laugh but I'm sorry to hear that, anon.
>>
>>81710249
The phrase comes from a scenario in which a PC is trying to cross an area of wilderness specifically named after the ogres that live in it, gets upset when he keeps encountering them, then flies into an autistic rage when the GM won't let him go from Location A to Location B without some kind of encounter because what he said his character does is go to Location B so that should be what happens with nothing in between, and that if anything does happen the GM is railroading.
>>
>>81703119
You put martial twice, twinkletits.
>>
>>81716926
>an "important scene"
storyshitters need to be drawn and quartered
>>
>>81716926
You're not wrong on some things but you're a faggot about it.
>>
>>81703262

Can you support this in any way?
>>
>>81710743
Wow your dictionary definition is different from the one of google. It's almost like people have different understandings of the word gender and just because someones using a newer definion doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.
>>
>>81720783
Fuck off, PbtA faggot
>>
>>81705120
cringe
>>
>>81718345
Some of you idiots just want to keep arguing no matter what. You're insufferable
>>
>>81714332
oh, so quantum ogre is just an excuse to bitch about not getting the result you wanted out of a choice you made, gotcha thanks
>>
>>81703119
what's the problem with misty step?
>>
>>81703820
>Later went to Hell, amd even the fucking demons were actually misunderstood and sympathetic. Pretty much became a metagame to me of assuming any threat that would otherwise reasonably be assumed to be evil/dangerous was actually nice instead and could instead be therapy sessioned into submission.

fuck i had the same with happen to me, played a paladin but one of the players is a weeb so he needed special badass characters and he decided to play a cambion, i almost killed him before i was essentially forced by the rest of the group to let him live even though it's even said in the lore that all cambions are evil and the cleric in our group knew the lore too so he agreed with me. glad we eventually got rid of the weeb after he tried to make a 13 yr old bloodmage prodigy whose eyes glowed when he got mad
>>
>Shorter than 6 foot
>Taller than 6'1"
Not only do I not allow these "people" into my games, I don't allow them to live.
>>
>>81708616
Creativity is stored in the balls.
>>
>>81721517
Anon, using the definition that google presents is buying into shit that they themselves perpetuate.
Google is not impartial on this topic.
>>
>>81710743
Gender has never meant biological sex, because the word was created just for this, so 70 years later they could pull "there are more than two genders" without being technically wrong
>>
>>81703339
This didn't happen and you spammed this in several other threads.
>>
>>81708879
My dad does that. I fucking hate texting him for whatever reason.
>>
>>81703299
I once had my players fight a supervillain called Quantum Ogre in a supers game.

Imagine if Brock Lesnar could teleport and phase through walls
>>
>>81723270
It's cringey shit used by neckbeards who think reading out the 500 spells they cast in a row makes them a badass.
>>
>>81719408
>have 5 players
>cancel the whole session and play board games because one guy doesn't show up
Dumbest thing I've read in this thread
>>
>>81703119
You will have to try really hard to outfag this post
>>
>>81724670
Nah, it makes perfect sense. Cancelling for the flaker isn't because you couldn't play without him, but rather a form of collective punishment to rally others against him. When you try to boot Steve after couple sessions played without him, other players will think you're being mean. When you try the same after couple sessions that had to canceled because of Steve, other players will be more than happy to boot him.
>>
>>81713131
Combat is fun and carnage makes me feel drunk so i understand
>>
File: file.png (749 KB, 801x814)
749 KB
749 KB PNG
>my pronouns are...
>>
>>81724798
This, I do the same for that one player that constantly gets up and goes faffing around when out of his turn. I just stop the game until she's back at the table so she doesn't miss anything. She gets up half as much as she used to sicne everyone goves her the stare when she does
>>
>>81724818
Look at the lad. His christlike pose showing hes the last defense against sin
>>
>>81724818
That's not subtle, that's a glaring red flag.
>>
>>81723865
it's a boomer thing, every single one of my bosses did that shit
>>
>>81716926
>Fucking soulless
way to out yourself as a no-game /v/ermin, opinion discarded
>>
>human male fighter, doesn't specify anything else
>"Okay Anon, can you tell us anything interesting about your PC?"
>gets really upset and leaves the group

?
>>
>>81706607
Hot take.
>Being compulsively obedient to Rules as Written, is a red flag.
>Shows that not only is the person a brainlet who can't imagine stuff or be creative, but they have no self-awareness and can't get out of their own way, so they're going to be shit to rp with, shit players, and even worse DM's,
>Because if you can't help but be obedient to arbitrary rule minute over anything and everything else, even if you aren't actively using it to justify dickish behavior or fuck over the table, it means your autism prevents any fun from going on outside your opinion on what is correct.
>Either you're new, and your grasp on gaming is expectedly poor, or you're mentally handicapped if you can't change a rule, made unrelated to your game/setting, around to something more fitting for your game.
>>
>>81706526
>Don't care. I'll mis-gender anyone, even if they're clearly one and never gave an allusion to the other. I have done so before, and will again.
>Don't care. I like guys as well as girls, just don't be a faggot about it.
>No idea what that is, but it's probably being executed poorly from a socioeconomic and cultural developmental standpoint if you're american.
>Sounds interesting, I like it, but I'm vetting it first. I have a particular type of game I like to go for, so I may need to revise it or change rules.
>Kay. Though this is a Catholic-heavy setting, so make your backstory very church centric. You're a member of the clergy as a priest-assassin, an outcast, or keeping it under wraps. Also your skin is normal coloured. You just roll on this table for three traits, though if you see something cool feel free to take it.
>It's allowed, though the developmental process is going to be difficult as shit and expensive, and no one's going to know what to do, so you're going to need to depend on other weapons.
If this isn't your answer, you're a pussy because you're letting your inability to deal with differences get in the way of your game.
>>
>>81724818
>Who gives a fuck we're here to play a game of makebelieve about dragons and shit.
>>
>>81702917
>subtle red flags
I feel like if it's subtle, it's not really a red flag.
>>
>>81726999
>Right, of course. Anyway, my character's pronouns are...
>>
>>81726676
This.
The human male fighter meme started as a humblebrag by anons to describe how they don't need immediate surface traits to give interesting features or RP to their character.
A human male fighter of quality will have a strength, a flaw and a quirk at the ready to deliver in as many words, and will jump at the chance to get something out there at session 0 so easily.
If he doesn't, the player's going to be a problem, because they're doing it entirely for the feeling of moral superiority, without grasping the reasons, and show themselves to be poor and inexperienced RPG'ists.
>>
>>81702996
This is a good one.
Chances are if they have been wanting to play the game for a long time, and it's your first time running the system, they'll have a better understanding of it then you and be constantly disappointed in you execution.
>>
>>81703044
dnd is really fucking bad about this.
>want to play a cool dashing knight
>you rolled a one! You slip on a bannana peel! lolol
>>
>>81706632
If they have a legitimate reason it's not a "flaking"
>>
>>81727055
>Yeah yeah, don't care, but I was more talking to the DM, who was about to sperg out because you mentioned your preferred pronouns and throw a fit because he can't separate the table game from real sociopolitics, or let different ones come onto 'his' table.
>>
>>81727071
That sounds like a problem with the GM, not the game, because that isn't what a 1 does on a skill check
>>
File: 1631148481941.jpg (22 KB, 480x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>81727100
>Pft, yeah, what a fucking douche who can't separate real life from the table. Anyway, my fake medieval fantasy world character's preferred pronouns are...
>>
>>81727116
It is what it means in combat.
>You level 12 fighter is the veteran of a hundred life or death struggles
>You rolled a 1?
>Your character drops his sword! What a klutz! lol
>>
>>81727198
critical fails are a house rule anon
and they're a good red flag
>crit fails on systems that don't usually have crit fails
massive red flag right there
>>
File: 1464680662000.png (80 KB, 339x355)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>81702917
>Races as classes
>Elves as the grand precursor race that's inexplicably in decline
>Dwarves are a single monolith of drunk Scots
>Fae as a playable race
>Longswords in the same era as rapiers
>Atheistic paladin
>Gnolls exist but Wargs don't
>Sex rules
>>
>>81702982
/thread
>>
>>81727100
When someone starts with telling their pronouns, you are dealing with a narcissistic attentiin whire who will at every turn try to make everything about them.
Doesn't have to be sociopolitics, these people have already showed their true colors.
>>
OP
>>
>>81727121
>>81727520
A lot of assumptions in a game of make believe.
>>
>>81727198
I dunno how else to explain it when the 20STR barbarian rolls 1 at trying to kick open a standard wooden door.
>You kick through the door. The door is still closed, and now your foot is stuck.
>>
File: 1475011898477.jpg (87 KB, 545x521)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>81727577
>Pull out foot
>Insert hand
>Unlock door from the inside
>>
> elven fighter/magicuser/thief
>>
>>81727606
>Player makes their character before the game even begins/comes to the game with a character already made before even knowing what the game is about
Honestly probably the biggest red flag out there in my experience
>>
>>81727591
If he did that instead of just continuing to kick the door into pieces, he'd be smarter than my players.
But that's the kind of stuff I like with absurd 1 rolls like that. You fail at something, but inadvertently open up a different solution.
>>
>>81727121
>pronouns are...

Can you stop being weirdo and just play a teenage girl like everyone else at the table?
>>
>>81702917
>"they/them", "looking for a group that's LGBTQIAS2+++ positive" (the more letters here, the larger the psychosis), trans flag as an avatar
>>
File: 1450025681756.png (770 KB, 555x713)
770 KB
770 KB PNG
>>81727786
>>81727874
>You are all teenage girls who moonlight as witches fighting an underground war against the forces of evil
>Your first opponents will be the trannies trying to subvert our organization
>>
>>81703299
Lurk 100 years before posting
>>
>>81707818
Why are you so obsessed and paranoid?
>>
>Sorry I missed session
>anyway I cast fireball on the party
>>
>>81708218
I'm of the mindset that if a player is going to go out of their way to bring up their character's sexual orientation, then the DM should be allowed to use that for interactions whether they be positive or negative. Im sick of that bullshit. You can just ask to seduce what ever the fuck the DM lets you. If you feel the need to say your character is gay then you should be willing to accept what good or bad shit the world throws at them.
>>
>>81702982
/thread
>>
>>81727249
>and they're a good red flag
I like crit fails, it doesn't make anything more deadly or anything, it just means I'll resolve the action in the most humiliating way possible, generally my players like it and we've kept using it, why do you dislike them ?
>>
I just want to say that this thread is really good for 2021 /tg/. It's barely been derailed at all.
>>
>>81727623
Depends on what you've agreed on beforehand. If everyone else is ready to go and you're sitting there rolling stats and pondering classes while brainstorming a background, you're the asshole.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.