[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: STL199672.jpg (181 KB, 1032x1566)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Barsoom Edition

>UA: Mages of Strixhaven
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_06_08_MagesStrixhaven.pdf

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:>>80435616

How little clothing is socially acceptable un your setting?
>>
File: 1617139920438.png (4.37 MB, 6171x5000)
4.37 MB
4.37 MB PNG
The less clothes the better
>>
File: Vore_dragon.png (78 KB, 250x250)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
How can dragons withotu shapechanging abilities show affection to humanoid partners?
>>
I've said it before but the 2e DMG is more useful than any DM tool published for 5e. Check it out if you haven't, DM anons.
>>
>>80442254
I'm not going to read gygax's retarded boomer ramblings
>>
>>80442248
snout hugs gentle cuddles, I would imagine
>>
File: 1510526647690.gif (178 KB, 500x411)
178 KB
178 KB GIF
>>80442254
>tfw just bought 1e DMG
>>
>>80442263
>2e
>gygax
>>
>>80442254
Noted, bought it when they reprinted the old books however long ago that was. Guess this was the incentive I needed to actually read the bloody thing.
>>
File: 1598045901638.png (316 KB, 600x990)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>80442221
Men may be in as much undress as their profession demands, women must be clothed. Only harlots show skin.
>>
>>80442278
That actually does have the >>80442263 boomer ramblings issue. Its also ugly as sin and hard to read, but also plenty of useful shit in there.
>>
>>80442318
>Men may be in as much undress as their profession demands
>Only harlots show skin.
Guess it works the same for men and women then, how progressive!
>>
You cannot twinned spell bigby's hand right?
>>
As a first time DM too lazy to make up a campaign, should I run Curse of Strahd or Icewind Dale?
>>
For our next session, my players are going to go through some tunnels, and I'm planning an encounter with kobolds. I'd like the kobolds to try and create a distraction in the tunnel, while one of them sneaks close to the party to attempt to steal something from them, before dashing off into one of the holes in the rock that are too small for the party to go in. What would that distraction be?
>>
>>80442350
I don't see why not, but the spell requires you to use a bonus action to make it do stuff, which would not work for 2 of them. You could probably convince your DM to let you use your action to command the second hand.
>>
>>80442350
Bigby's hand doesnt target a creature, so no.
>>
>>80442350
It does not target a creature on the cast, so no
>>80442376
Curse of Strahd is really good for a lazy DM, most shit is well written out and there's plenty of fan made stuff to make it better.
>>
>>80442396
nevermind
>>80442398
This anon is right.
>When you Cast a Spell that Targets only one creature and doesn’t have a range of self, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the same spell (1 sorcery point if the spell is a cantrip)
>>
File: 1622744898679.jpg (58 KB, 429x709)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>80442348
What? No, men can't be harlots.
That would be gay.
>>
>>80442412
Then why is your picture giving me bedroom eyes?
>>
>>80442395
>Throw a wounded squealing grub down in front of the party
>Have a kobold down around the corner start making scary echo-y growling sounds imitating a more dangerous foe
>Leave a backpack lying on the ground for them to rifle through (adventurers are curious greedy things)
>>
File: 1622866084573.png (182 KB, 977x910)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
Realistically, what's the worst that could happen by allowing 2 bonus actions in one turn?
>>
>>80442395
Kobold with the largest hips attempts to seduce them.
>>
>>80442412
Honestly was trying to make a joke about how they all dress "based on their profession".
...I tried, alright?
>>
>>80442463
Monks become decent
>>
>>80436885
>>80436885
>>80436885
>>80436885

>forbidden strength
is horseshit
>wrathful reach
is great, name could use some work since the claw has range and everything about this feature is the opposite of range
>tricksters hand
is bullshit.
>elemental grasp
Is kinda really strong, most at-will magic isn't for combat save for false life which takes an action and it's just a better hellish rebuke
>crushing grip
is phenomenal and well named.
>curse of the fallen
treads into combo territory and I'm not a fan of the term "hinder" because I don't really know what that refers to. Only your grapple? or would that interact with crushing grip and grapple prone a target a range without a need to use an action since its at the start of your turn? Also how long is a round? is it until the start or until the end of your next turn? needs calrification
>unyiedlign grasp
holy shit fuck this 1000 times fuck no.
>master manipulation
pretty great
>arcane touch
its really shitty, its 2 cantrips and then 1/3 of 2 other cantrips but way worse. if you truly wish to keep it, I'd reword it just to make it fall in line with what is already written in the books

>You learn the light and spare the dying cantrips and their range is increased to 15ft instead of touch.
>You can also use your action to do one of the following effects

>-You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
>-You instantaneously expand a flame 5 feet in one direction, provided that wood or other fuel is present in the new location.
>-You choose an area of water that you can see within range and that fits within a 5-foot cube. You freeze the water, provided that there are no creatures in it. The water unfreezes in 1 hour.
>-You change the color or opacity of ice that fits in a 5ft cube. The ice must be changed in the same way throughout. This change lasts for 1 hour.
>you can have up to 3 of these effects active at one time and you can dismiss any or all over them as action
>>
>>80442463
Thief becomes a useless subclass.
>>
>>80442512
>take tavern brawler
>throw two acid vials a turn that deal 5 bludgeoning damage and 2d6 acid each

I see this as an absolute win.
>>
>>80442396
>>80442398
>>80442406
>>80442409
Dang, thanks.
>>
>>80442526
>I see this as an absolute win.
please don't type stupid shit
>>
>>80442540
be more upset, please.
>>
>>80442318
That picture got a greater-than-sensible chuckle from me.
>>
>>80442221
Can 5e handle multi-armed characters?
>>
>>80442463
Hexblade becomes ridiculous. Eldritch blast cannons suddenly have +2d6 a shot round one. Lorebards are doing 6 attacks a round with crossbow expert on. Paladins are smiting on smite spells while preparing a second smite to smite someone in the same turn. Rogue thieves are quad wielding healers kits and caltrops. The barbarian has two mooks grappled under each arm and one between her thighs. None are resisting.
>>
>>80442526
Throwing an acid vial is a full action RAW.
>>
>>80442562
I think there are two race with multi arms, simic hybrid and one planeskape
>>
>>80442463
Can I trade one of those bonus actions for a Concentration spell?
>>
File: 1614964662174.png (454 KB, 414x499)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>80442569
>The barbarian has two mooks grappled under each arm and one between her thighs. None are resisting.
>>
>>80442562
Characters all have two arms, that's multiple arms
>>
>>80442585
no one plays it like that.
>>
>>80442562
the main problem is that they just end up being better than every other class unless you put a lot of restrictions on them like simic hybrid. if you have four arms that means you can use a two handed heavy weapon, a shield, and then have a free hand for grappling or spellcasting.
>>
>>80442585
Not for a thief
>>
>group likes your RP
I feel like crying.
>>
File: DejahThoris_07.jpg (465 KB, 1920x960)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>80442318
That may be true for most. However that was Dejah Thoris, who is an India princess expy. She isn't part of an oppressive patriarchal European culture. Thus she is allowed to wear whatever she likes without being slut-shamed by the likes of you!
*continues feminist-ally closet-coomer preening*
>>
>>80442585
As an action, you can splash the contents of this vial onto a creature within 5 feet of you or throw the vial up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. In either case, make a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the acid as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target takes 2d6 acid damage.
>As an action

Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, use your thieves' tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action.
>Use an Object action.

Use an Object
You normally interact with an object while doing something else, such as when you draw a sword as part of an attack. When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action. This action is also useful when you want to interact with more than one object on your turn.
>When an object requires your action for its use, you take the Use an Object action.

Thief's fast hand lets you make an attack with an acid vial, holy water, or Alchemist's Fire as a bonus action.

if it helps you understand it better, booming blade is a spell but as part of the spell, you make a melee weapon attack. This is similar. As part of the use an object action, used as a bonus action thanks to fast hands, you make a ranged attack using the item as an improvised weapon.
>>
>>80442673
>Haven't done RPG for almost a decade
>Started with a group
>Got a backstory and stuff
>Having an in-character argument with my estranged brother about a threat to our village that he's dismissing
>DM roleplaying the brother as an asshole, keeps interrupting me
>Effectively turn into my character as I angrily snap at the DM
>"I AM TRYING TO HELP YOU. I DIDN'T BRING THIS THREAT ON YOU, BUT WE CAN WORK TOGETHER TO ADDRESS IT IF YOU'LL JUST-"
>DM is calmly like, "Roll persuasion".
>Fuck. I have proficiency, but only 10 Cha.
>Roll a nat 20
Felt good.
>>
>session left off with us fighting a Voltron mimic
Honestly I'm excited but damnit I don't want to wait a week to fight the thing
>>
>>80442773
Ah, I didn't know about the thief letting you use an object as a bonus action.
>>
File: 1623764511046.jpg (14 KB, 228x221)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>80442821
Anon...
Why would you argue a point that you don't actually know?
Come on man ;_;
>>
>>80442808
Me neither
>>
>>80442808
>>80442858

same here man.
>>
>>80442773
If only the acid vial also counted as a ranged weapon, then we could have had acid sneak attacks.
>>
File: 11416-1.jpg (27 KB, 533x300)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Is making up a labyrinth network mess of demi-planes too big to undertake as a first time setting? I thought it would be cool to pile up things from any place upon a central city hub, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the size of the idea.
>>
>>80442808
Huh, think I saw your DM begging in the drawthread for someone to make a pic for it. Hope he got something good!
>>
>>80442887
pretty sure that already exists, I forget what its called but I think its like, between 9 and 12 o clock on the other planes
>>
>>80442885
Really should, who expects someone to hurl a flask of acid at their face? Very sneaky.

>>80442887
Go for it I saw, can always start a game with it "half-finished" and expand on it later, or even make it part of the lore that the PCs are exploring the different demiplanes connected to the hub so it is a mystery to them as well.
>>
>>80442925
>who expects someone to hurl a flask of acid at their face?
Muslim women.
>>
>>80442887
yes, your first time homebrew "setting" should be a village and the surrounding areas of interest, and work out from there. You suck at DMing because you've never done it and your first few sessions should be about acquiring rule savvy. And no, being a good player is not the same as being a good DM, just like being good at sports doesn't automatically translate to being a good referee.
Work on creating a believable small community the players start in, flesh it out so they can roam around and talk to NPCs , and then expand the world out from there.
>>
File: Pige.png (295 KB, 419x419)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>80442931
>>
>>80442808
Darn kids these days with their robots and guns and tinker gadgets...
>>
What's the best class to play a dragon slayer?
>>
>>80443030
Wizards are generally called upon to defeat dragons. Especially the ones eager to prove their apprenticeships.
I suppose eldritch knights can do the trick too.
>>
>>80442221

DMs, would you let a player play an evil character in your campaign (assuming the rest of the party wasn't evil)?
>>
>>80443030
Monster hunter ranger
>>
>>80443030
Ranger's extreme racism might come in handy if you're focusing on a single creature type.
Dunno which archetype would best fit though, Hunter maybe?

Eldritch Knight wouldn't be terrible either, bulky and with the Absorb Elements / Shield to help nullify a lot of the damage headed their way.
>>
>>80443049
Sure, if despite being evil he goes along with the party. An evil character can still do good things, he'll just do them because they're advantageous to him, not out of kindness.
>>
>>80443049
Sure, it's nice getting help defeating the party. As long as you don't bitch and moan when they eventually slay you.
>>
>>80443049
Sure, but it would come with some warnings that amount to an encouragement to meta-game.

Specifically, if you being evil translates into treachery towards the party, I'm not gonna stop them from killing you, so it would be best if you contrived an in-character reason why the party itself is except from your evil bullshit.
>>
What are some house rules/homebrew rules or changes y'all use in your games?

I'm thinking of expanding the skill system with more options, skill points a la 3.5, and deeper proficiencies (more than just not proficient, proficient, and expertise)
>>
>>80443030
Vengeance Paladin can work thematically. Obviously you're not literlaly going to be the most effective dragon slayer, but if you want a dude in armor with a sword slaying dragons, it's a good choice. Abjure enemy can put the dragon on the ground, at least briefly, and your mobility spells can help as well.
>>
>>80443049
I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't, I usually try to be the token evil teammate...
>>
>>80443030
Monster Slayer Ranger
Hunter Ranger (Giant Killer, Steel Will, Evasion)
Any Caster with Earthbind
Any Class with Absorb Elements
Any Class with Shield
>>
>>80443049
I like playing lawful evil characters that are bound by some kind of contract or order from their boss to help the party
>>
>>80443093
i have several dozen pages of house rules and homebrew
>>
>>80442951
this, I cheated and just stole riverwood from skyrim

>inn with plenty of gossip
>item shop with a delivery quest
>some homes each with their own fetch quests
>lumber mill with the guy in charge complaining that the bandits "confiscated" a few of the logs they sent down the river.
>some mines under bandit control up north
>a crypt invested with undead to the east
>hidden cave across a river with a bandit chief and some cultists
>abandoned watchtower to the east filled with more bandits with notes speaking of the ore they're taking from the abandoned mines up north and other notes about strange noises coming from the crypt in the west, and about when they're meeting with some strange cultists near a cave very close to town
>crypt full of undead, with some decent loot at the end.
>west has a very cold mountain trail that will require con saves or cold resistance or cold weather gear to traverse through, asking people in town will say a small village is up north but no one has heard from them in over a month

pretty great starter town.
>>
QUICK ANON!

Give me your coolest / favorite sidekick ideas, using the Tasha's Cauldron rules (Choose a creature with 1/2 CR or less, then add sidekick levels from there)
>>
>>80442919
I'm very aware I'm doing a Sigil rip-off.

>>80442951
I don't know where the put the starting point, but keeping it focused to a few streets and areas of interests through gates would ease my worries.
>>
>>80443074
>evil characters can be good
You either build the sand castle or you kick it. Doing petty things that don't tip the scales of the story hardly count as evil. Yes it's possible to walk the fence, but you're dangerously close to neutral territory.

why does everything look like K in the captcha, cripes
>>
>>80443155

fuck sidekicks
>>
>>80443155
caster who knows chromatic orb
>>
>>80442708
You think anyone reads anymore? Haha. Besides, they'd just say Burroughs was just an old white colonizer who blah blah blah. Just recall, anything other than hetero is just fine in the 21st. It's beauty the pink hairs hate. Simple as that
>>
>>80443172
you talk up the kid building the sandcastle and tell him how great it is and how unfair it is that he's so limited in space because all these other kids with trash castles are taking space he could use
>>
>>80443124
Give us some examples anon!
I wanna borrow steal some of your good ideas to try and improve my own home games!

can you tell I've gotten bored of 5e but can't leave because my players won't try new stuff?
>>
>>80443155
A young Noble NPC who takes Expert Sidekick levels and fights alongside a cooler Swashbuckling Duelist. You both have cool teamwork maneuvers and tactics.
>>
>>80443172
Well at this point we're essentially arguing what certain alignments are, and that never really goes anywhere since most people interpret it differently.
That being said, I feel like you have to be close to neutral to hang around a good party, going full villain will probably create too much conflit.
>>
>>80443155
slave elf cleric
>>
>>80442221
I feel like showing up on Barsoom in full plate armor would be cheating. I know they have guns, but everyone seems to prefer melee combat. Is there a particular reason why everyone's so stripped down, aside from "sexy red women/men are sexy" ?
>>
>>80443155
Expert sidekick flying sword that talks via carving things into a wall or the ground and spends time in the sheath of the character it likes the most. Sometimes even yeeting their actual weapons away. Combat is usually attack/disengage and into a sheath for it.
>>
>>80443172
This is why I've always preferred certain aspects of the Rifts alignment system over DND.

"Abberant Evil" was essentially an analogue of LE, but very specifically referring to "villains with codes", and the other two evil alignments were sorta combined and distilled into "Diabolic evil" and "Miscreant Evil", which don't operate on a law/chaos spectrum so much as a motivational spectrum (Diabolic being for madness, and miscreant for assholes).

There's really nothing wrong with playing a small-time miscreant evil character, which could EASILY be a CE character under the DND system.
>>
>>80443155
The party saves this cow from a goblin camp, it immediately runs away. In their darkest hour of most need, the cow returns ready to repay its debt. Warrior sidekick.
>>
>>80443195
be more specific, i've reworked like half the content in the game, what are you looking for in particular
>>
>>80443155
if the DM allows it, chain pact warlock with sprite familiar with the familiar taking expert sidekick levels. It fits all the prerequisites for a side kick, and I couldn't find anything saying familiars are not allowed. Basically the way the build works is the familiar uses its bonus action to take the help action for the warlock, who then uses their action to eldritch blast with advantage on the first attack. Then the warlock (with investment of the chain master invocation) uses their bonus action to command the sprite to make an attack, which now gets an extra 2d6 damage and forces a save against poison using your spell save DC (with a small chance to knock them unconscious). I would love to be able to try this build out if I found a DM that let me make my familiar a sidekick because as far as I can tell it doesn't break any rules.
>>
>>80443168
>Sigil rip-off
Also check out Eldritch Might III: The Nexus from Monte Cook if you haven't. It's a demiplane full of doors to other planes. Maybe something in there you can steal
>>
>>80443329
>Monte Cook
ISHIGGYDIGGYDOO
>>
>>80442221
Any good ideas for a Barbarian that becomes a Paladin? What kind of oath would he make?
>>
File: 91gCmiiJWrS[1].jpg (695 KB, 2560x1638)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>80443329
>Plane full of doors
Wait a minute I've seen this episode before...
>>
>>80443294
I mean honestly I was just curious what others thought were problems that needed fixing and how they went about them. What's your favorite change you've made?
I've always felt like combat was a little weird and the other pillars of play aren't that well supported. I've got ideas that I've been slowly putting into place without letting my players know but they aren't that hugely impactful desu
>>
>>80443354
Just don't call it Mordoor, it gives people the wrong impression.
>>
File: DynamicDuo.jpg (1012 KB, 1500x2000)
1012 KB
1012 KB JPG
>>80443196
Classic ideas never go out of style.
>>
>>80443351
I think that would depend on who or what he's swearing his oath to. Has he found a kingdom or liege he considers worth serving? Oath of the Crown. Does he wish vengeance upon a hated foe? Oath of Vengeance, obviously. Does he want to preserve and protect the natural beauty and splendor of the world? Oath of the Ancients. So on and so forth.
>>
File: 1609058516398.png (858 B, 94x64)
858 B
858 B PNG
>>80443355
give me a category at least, i'm bad at choosing things
>>
File: 1618231634320.png (1.02 MB, 564x798)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>80443155
H̶y̶b̶r̶i̶d̶ ̶S̶p̶y̶ Ginger Brandywood

Small humanoid (Halfling), neutral good
Armor Class 15 (Studded leather armor)
Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR 11(+0) DEX 17(+3) CON 12(+1) INT 13 (+1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 9 (-1)
Skills Perception +6, Stealth +7, passive Perception 16 (expertise in stealth and perception)
Languages Common and Halfling
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2
>Halfling intuition.
Ginger has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide.
>Expert Climber.
Ginger can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Actions
Multiattack. Ginger makes two shortsword attacks.
Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Expert sidekick, she's not as brave as most halflings, and is in fact actually quite a coward. She is adept at hiding and keeping watch for danger.
>>
>>80443351
Rage and righteous zeal have a lot of overlap.
>What kind of oath would he make?
Conquest, Vengeance, Glory
>>
>>80443404
Cute
I'm using that picture for a rogue
>>
>>80443427
Halflings aren't people Anon you can do whatever you want to them. Ask any orc lawyer.
>>
>>80443394
What have you got for combat?2 UY0P
>>
>>80443427
kys pedo
>>
Soon, my druid pc just convinced the father of spiders deep within the forest to help liberate the country from the mercenary king. Spider Riders soon.
>>
>>80443446
Last time I got an orc lawyer I had to get a second lawyer after they raped me.
Admittedly he did manage to get me declared innocent, so that was nice.
>>
File: 1616590612857.png (34 KB, 748x469)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>80443453
>When you draw or stow a one-handed weapon with the light property, you can draw or stow another one-handed weapon with the light property at the same time.
>You can attempt to grapple a creature that is two or more sizes larger than you. If you succeed, the creature does not become grappled. Instead, you move into the creature’s space, which counts as difficult terrain, and can climb the creature.
>When you are hidden during combat, you can move up to 5 feet in the open before being revealed.
>When you are targeted by a ranged weapon attack, you can use your reaction to drop prone immediately before the attack is made.
>If you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before attempting to grapple a creature, you can attempt to tackle the target. If the grapple succeeds, the grappled creature is knocked prone. You become prone whether the grapple succeeds or fails.
>You can use your action to take a bonus action.
>When you successfully shove a creature and choose to push it, the creature is pushed away a number of feet equal to 5 times half your Strength modifier (rounded up, minimum of 5 feet).
also have pic related
>>
>>80443415
Very cute.
>>80443427
She is older than you and for the last 20 years her mother and 7 aunts haven't stopped pestering her about finding a good man to settle down. All of her older sisters and cousins are married with children.

You don't stand a chance
>>
File: jYv3vhd.jpg (133 KB, 1080x1223)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
STAND BACK I AM GOING TO ATTEMPT TO PLAY A RANGER!
>>
File: IMG_4776.jpg (13 KB, 300x250)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>80443427
holy moly
>>
>>80443484
why would i stand back? it's not like you're going to be able to do anything
>>
>>80443484
Just play fighter with levels in druid!
>>
File: moschettieri.jpg (180 KB, 989x734)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>80443374
I love the idea of seeing the sidekick parkour off their Duelist Mentor/Leader to do Coordinated Strikes with them. Lots of flippy tricks and high mobility. Both of them have Evasion and dodge a fireball or lightning bolt at the same time.
Its just really cool.
>>
>>80443095
You can also command person and make them grovel mid flight.
>>
>>80443476
Good shit anon thanks!
Particularly a fan of the climbing on monsters like it's shadow of the colossus. And while less awesome, the dropping prone reaction and tackling/shoving rules are pretty solid options to have. Thanks!
>>
>>80443502
I can't prepare a spell list every long rest!
>>
>>80442673
>group loves your rp
>character is so beloved that half the people threaten the dm if they put her in harms way
>love playing the character to boot
it's such a good feeling bro
>>
>>80443544
>The spell has no effect if the target is undead, if it doesn't understand your language, or if your command is directly harmful to it.
Plummeting to the ground is directly harmful, at best it would just land safely then grovel
>>
Thoughts on Grimlocks?
>>
If I wanted to multiclass a Kensei, which level would be the best to start? They get pretty decent features at all the benchmarks. After level 6? 8? 11?

Also, would swashbuckler or battlemaster be a better option?
>>
>>80443570
how MAD do you want to be?
>>
>>80443510

>mentor thrusts at bad guy
>bad guy retreats backward to evade it
>sidekick drop kicks bad guy1 onto the blade and it pierces through him
>sidekick leaps onto the plunged blade and uses it as a springboard to leap over him and the mentor to attack badguy2 approaching mentor from behind
>side kick strikes high
>mentor turns around and strikes low

pottery
>>
File: 1604984470113.png (8 KB, 762x187)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>80443549
Some of them are just modified variant rules
Couple of related feats as well, skulker lets you move 15 feet before being revealed, and pic related buffs cleaves
>>
>>80443559
Dude it's not that hard. Just go Rune Knight/Shepard Druid
>>
>>80443582
We rolled stats, and I have >12,18,14,12,16,16
So I can probably get away with some MADness
>>
>>80443586
Its so good it writes itself! I want to play that so badly. Next time I play a Duelist character I'm doing this.
>>
File: 1598348467883.png (726 KB, 1200x1200)
726 KB
726 KB PNG
>>80443592
that sounds fuckign sick with a bugbear polearm user
>>
>>80443570
In general, if the class you're starting with has extra attack and you plan to use melee, go to at least level 5.
Since you chose monk, exit at level 5 since it's the most reasonable time to escape that horrid class. Go ranger for damage, cleric for cool abilities, or rogue for ninja shit after that.
>>
>>80443454
nah
>>80443482
>You don't stand a chance
oh no
>>
>>80443669
kys pedonigger
>>
>>80443561
thats just people liking your character
if they love your rp, but want to see your character dead, then you know you've made it
>>
What kind of character would you make based on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scytYIenltc
>>
>>80443719
what level
>>
>>80443719
human champion fighter
>>
File: Vergil's Yamato Sword.png (522 KB, 927x833)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>80443719
someone who is MOTIVATED
>>
>>80443719
>Katana
Dex build, or we use shilelegh/hexblade.
>lightning storm
Lightning Damage, pick up lightning lure at least.
>"I am the reclaimer of my name"
Maybe a Noble background, your noble house is evil or disgraced, and you want to rebuild it's former glory as a force for good.
>Patrick Starr
Could be a Triton, for the ocean theme. Be the comic relief, but a secret power house.
>>
>>80442318
>young
>missing teeth

She's either a noble larping as a peasant or has been pre-chewing rocks for her chicken's gizzard.
If the comic is saying "realism", let's get some fucking realism, then.
>>
File: EbX6s3-WkAklLwr.jpg (83 KB, 1080x907)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>80443719
Well considering the Vergil meme. A Bladesinging Wizard Character where instead of having music, song, and dancing as the flavor have it be magical auras, wards, and motivation when it comes to "Bladesong". I be on the hunt for power in the form of magic as a lot of other Wizards hunt for.
>>
>>80443772
Maybe her husband is just really abusive.
>>
>>80443719
Fallen Aasimar storm sorcerer with 2 levels in tempest cleric for maximum damage lightning bolts.
>>
File: Cancer.jpg (114 KB, 728x520)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>80443719
bubbly heterochromia kitsune Sorceror/Paladin/Assassin
>>
>>80443799
>Kitsune
Absolutely disgusting.
-Post by the catgirl gang
>>
>>80442318
>historically accurate
but only chuds cry about this
>>
>>80443799
>>80443806
You're both inferior
>t. wolf girl
>>
post character themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8dUGWXIUY
>>
File: 1584785315442.jpg (282 KB, 660x924)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
>>80443820
Based.
>>
>>80443809
Yeah, the "realism" is on point though.
>>
>>80443835
realistic =/= in line with real world history
>>
>>80443799
>>80443806
>>80443820
you're all shit
t. harpy girl
>>
>>80443782
Oh! A Bladesinger Wizard X/Monk 2 could do it, as they could use dex with a Longsword (Katana), that or you could just change a Rapier to slashing and call it a one handed Katana. Vergil is a Fallen Aasimar or a Tiefling if you want.
>>
>>80443840
Doesn't have to be sure, but I'd still call it plenty realistic, wouldn't you?
>>
>>80443719
>>80443768
Triton Nobel Warlock Hexblade
Atlantis has fallen to pieces over the years, and the people are suffering. One lone Nobel becomes a masked pirate, who will tear down the old system to build a new.
>>
>>80443799
Cute
>>
>>80443820
>wolf girl
over used garbage, go back to your isekai
>>
File: WhatIsWrongWithJapan.jpg (273 KB, 1842x1231)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>80443806
>>80443820
>>80443849

Perhaps we could compromise with a big-tiddy ship-girl?
>>
>>80443922
>skipped anatomy class
>>
>>80443865
no retard
>>
>>80443954
Oh no, my friend. Such disregard is cultivated through years and years of constructive criticism in particular circles.
>>
Is Vhuman/Custom Lineage with PAM and starting with1 level of Fighter for Dueling and Con Saves a good way to build a cleric?
>>
>>80443962
So reality isn't realistic to you, good to know.
>>
>>80444003
illiterate retard
>>
>>80444002
I like Magic Initiate for Booming Blade & Green-Flame Blade + Find Familiar.
>>
File: spellblade.jpg (91 KB, 723x1106)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>80444027
There's something so inherently damn cool about summoning weapons to your hand out of thin air, or just forming them out of magic.
>>
Mimics are baby Changelings, or doppelgangers. They're the same thing.
>>
>>80444047
So they go from impersonating objects to people?
...Eh, I can dig it.
>>
>>80444047
>Two changelings don't want to be parents
>Fuck it stick it in a dungeon it'll be fine my parents did the same to me
>>
File: spartans.jpg (83 KB, 500x627)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
What are some good feats for a sword + board fighter?

Me and my bro are gonna be brother shield + spear fighters and he's already taking Shield Master
>>
>>80444069
Polearm Master all the way. Your Shield Master bro will give you all the advantage you need to destroy.
>>
>>80444069
If you both have spears, then you should take polearm master to counter their shield master.
>>
>>80444069
Take sentinel and polearm master and you'll basically be tying up the whole front line. Bonus points if you find a means to get booming blade, like with high elf.
>>
>>80444064
I figure they run off early, or are misplaced easily. They don't let anyone under the mask, not even relatives.
>>
>>80444108
>Honey where's the fucking baby?
>Goddammit not again...
>This pot maybe? No. When did we get a sofa?
>Fuck it, I'll go get mcdonalds that always gets them to shift back
>>
File: E5xV6l5UYAEFlrt.jpg (195 KB, 1306x2048)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>80444039
Its energy weapons for me. Something about a weapon that's just pure Fire/Ice/Lightning/Force/Thunder is just the coolest stuff.
>>
>>80444128
>windblade
>blades are clearly not made of wind
Geez, I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder!
>>
>>80444047

changelings imo should be different, I like the idea that humans spirited away to the feywild eventually change and mutate until their form becomes unrecognisable even to themselves, then they used this power to escape the feywild back to the mortal plane

but they all ended up in different places and all they could do was blend into society and propagate
>>
>>80444148
don't you mean THUNDER
>>
>>80444444
Don't mind me, just checking on something
>>
>>80442708
She was actually naked, as was pretty much every other character on Barsoom, including John Carter.
>>
>>80444159
I think this game's version of "Magical Wind" is Force Damage? Steel Wind Strike is just like that, magical razors you'd think is Slashing damage from a spell, but no...Force? Force is sound.
>>
>can deal double damage to stone bricks if you have proficiency with masons tools
>can deal double damage to glass if you have proficiency with glassblower's tools
>no wood equivalent

Consider me salty
>>
>>80444175
Huh, Zephyr Strike too. Shame we never got a Force Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade variant. It'd basically be air slashes.
>>
>>80444215
>Shame we never got a Force Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade variant. It'd basically be air slashes.
Anon...
>>
>>80442808
>>80442858
>>80442879
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg
>>
>>80444227
Not including Steel Wind Strike. I meat a cantrip.
>>
>>80444175
Anon, Thunder is sound. Force is just Force.
>>
>>80444251
Sorry yes, mistyped.
>>
>>80444175
Force is just soul damage. Like flinging pure mass from the ethereal plane, everything casts a shadow and that shadow is linked to the plane, so when you yeet magic at it, that thing gets hurt.
>>
>>80444175
Force is non-descript magic damage. It exists solely to have a non-elemental type of magic damage for the purposes of resistances.
>>
>>80444237
Anon.....
>>
>>80444203
Wood workers tools genius.
>>
>>80444282
Yes...?
>>
>>80444215

I think horizon walkers actually do get it, they add like a d8/10 to their attack and it becomes pure force.
>>
File: deku gun.jpg (43 KB, 500x364)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
How do you feel about playing an Urban Arcana style game with 5e?
>>
>>80444293
Sword Burst, anon.
>>
>>80444309
My party is having fun inEberron so far.
>>
>>80444310
Sword burst is not a melee weapon attack like Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade.
>>
>>80444288
what are woodworkers tools?

Did you mean woodcarver's tools?
>Woodcarver's tools allow you to craft intricate objects from wood, such as wooden tokens or arrows.
Components. Woodcarver's tools consist of a knife, a gouge, and a small saw.
Arcana, History. Your expertise lends you additional insight when you examine wooden objects, such as figurines or arrows.
Nature. Your knowledge of wooden objects gives you some added insight when you examine trees.
Repair. As part of a short rest, you can repair a single damaged wooden object.
Craft Arrows. As part of a short rest, you can craft up to five arrows. As part of a long rest, you can craft up to twenty. You must have enough wood on hand to produce them.

or carpenters tools?
Components. Carpenter's tools include a saw, a hammer, nails, a hatchet, a square, a ruler, an adze, a plane, and a chisel.
History. This tool proficiency aids you in identifying the use and the origin of wooden buildings and other large wooden objects.
Investigation. You gain insight when inspecting areas within wooden structures, because you know tricks of construction that can conceal areas from discovery.
Perception. You can spot irregularities in wooden walls or floors, making it easier to find trap doors and secret passages.
Stealth. You can quickly assess the weak spots in a wooden floor, making it easier to avoid the places that creak and groan when they're stepped on.
Fortify. With 1 minute of work and raw materials, you can make a door or window harder to force open. Increase the DC needed to open it by 5.
Temporary Shelter. As part of a long rest, you can construct a lean-to or a similar shelter to keep your group dry and in the shade for the duration of the rest. Because it was fashioned quickly from whatever wood was available, the shelter collapses 1d3 days after being assembled.
Carpenter's Tools
Activity DC
>Find a weak point in a wooden wall 15
this is the only similar feature but it doesn't state x2 damage, cont
>>
>>80444309
i like modern fantasy
>>
>>80444288
>>80444323

So its falls under DM-may-I

while masons tools and glass blowers both state

>Demolition. Your knowledge of masonry allows you to spot weak points in brick walls. You deal double damage to such structures with your weapon attacks.
>Identify Weakness. With 1 minute of study, you can identify the weak points in a glass object. Any damage dealt to the object by striking a weak spot is doubled.

Which is dookie
>>
I want an Atlantis setting. Pirates and Polynesia, and what not.
>>
>>80444379
I want a wuxia setting so they can do a blanket fix for monk shit as "options"
>>
>>80444386
>blanket fix for monk shit as "options"
WotC wouldn't do it. You'll take your Dex/Con/Wis MAD twink monk who can't grapple and needs to spend resources to imitate other classes features and you'll like it!
>>
>>80444415
Gotta get Expertise in Athletics with Skilled Expert or prodigy to make grapple monks a thing...even then you'd barely use it.
>>
>>80444442
I wonder what C3 will be like.
>>
>>80444415
>Monk doesn't even need strength anymore
>MAD
5e babbies...
>>
>>80444486
I thought that was what this exandria shit was
>>
>>80444494
>3 stats
>With 5e point buy
>>
>80444444
ITS HAPPENING
>>
>>80444495
That's a side bonus thing, to give everyone a break from the usual, and give Matt time to prep a third campaign.
>>
>>80444504
>>80444444
>>
>>80444516
I really hope it's not Exandria again. I'm bored of the setting and I'm not even playing in it. But it will be. Of course it will be.
>>
>>80444516
oh, alright. Mercer deserves a break, I stopped watching CR but I still like mercer, sam, Travis and laura.
>>
What does it look like when you use a wand?
https://twitter.com/Secondlina/status/1404189596196474881?s=20
>>
>>80444546
If Matt, Sam, Laura and Travis stayed, but the rest were swapped for the new people from this side quest, would that be cool?
>>
>>80444549
It strapped to my wrist so I just do a finger gun

bang
>>
>>80444557
I might go ahead and finish S2 eventually, I just have no drive to actually sit through it. I never watched them live, only on youtube at 1.25 speed.
>>
>>80444549
>>
File: rgbros_02_19_2016[1].png (288 KB, 1000x400)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
Why do we tolerate barbarians?
>>
>Make a barbarian
>Cross out "barbarian" and write "monk"
what's the problem?
>>
>>80444586
Nice try! But if a monk falls from a great height, he'll take little to no damage because hes a monk! If a barbarian tried to do the same he'd...he would...uh...
>>
>>80444617
rage to take half damage from the fall
>>
>>80444617
Hey, they'd still take a decent chunk of damage, even if they got more hp to soak it.
Clearly the best way to tell the difference between the two is dropping them down a cliff.
>>
File: genasi sorcerer.jpg (106 KB, 750x676)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>80442221
>clothing
If you are The Living Flame, you are prone to... accidents with clothes. And furniture.
>>
Rolled 4, 1, 5, 1, 4, 6, 4, 2, 2, 5 = 34 (10d6)

>>80444625
>>80444629

Great! We'll use a 3rd level monk and a 3rd level barbarian since that's when they both get a subclass and we'll drop them both of a cliff and see who takes more damage.

whoever takes the least amount of damage is a real monk

ready...GO!
>>
>>80444695
The monk is dead...
>>
>>80444695
monk doesn't get slow fall until level 4 so the barbarian wins by default
>>
File: 1622333008224.png (443 KB, 1024x1024)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
>>80444709
Should have been a better monk
>>
>>80444557
>>80444569
The show would be amazing if they axed the others

Having said that we'd probably get more yass kween sheboons and woke warriors as replacements so maybe not
>>
I’m thinking of a situation where the players, for whatever reason, have to ignore an enemy attacking/shooting at them while they do things, a puzzle maybe
Thoughts? Ideas?
>>
>>80444990
The devil you know etc.
>>
>>80444994
Gate is closing and they need to make it there in X rounds and lots f reinforcements are coming so standing still and fighting are a bad idea
>>
>>80444174
>>80442708
>>80442318
>>80442221

Did someone mention Dejah Thoris?
>>
My previous character died shortly after we acquired magical mcguffin, I'm planning to roll a character from an order of knights who have reasons to want to keep it safe, and has been sent to assist the party.

I'm planning to play them as an annoyed butler/servant style character, should I go Cavalier Fighter or Clockwork Soul Sorcerer? I was playing a Bard before and honestly finding it quite boring.
>>
>>80445052
Cavalier is kind MAD since instead of scaling off something useful like PB, their techniques scale off STR and CON locking you out of a dex build so you either need 2 points of dex for medium armor or dump it for plate.
Cavalier also has a weird overlap with pam that makes it unappealing.

imo, it's not actually a bad class so if you like fighters go for it.
>>
>>80442463
Make it a martial exclusive feature (combined with extra attack or something) and rule that the same BA can’t be repeated and you should be fine balance wise.
>>
>>80443476
>When you are hidden during combat, you can move up to 5 feet in the open before being revealed.

I'd increase that to 10ft myself
>>
>>80442463
Hunter's Mark/Hex would be a must have for most martials.
>>
>>80442463
TWF PAM quarterstaff dual wielding
>>
>>80445308
why would you use two quarterstaves? polearm master doesn't say once per turn.
>>
>>80445071
why would you ever go dex on cavalier anyway?
ranged mounted combat? You gain benefits from melee attacks
Cavalier is strictly STR and CON
>>80445052
Cavalier is fun as fuck but only if you battle in areas a mount can fit and your DM doesn't decide to repeatedly murder your mount
>>
>>80445430
cavalier doesn't need a mount retard
>>
>>80445439
yeah but if you aren't mounted as a cavalier what is the fucking point
>>
>>80445451
they have only a single ability that cares about a mount
>>
>>80445455
yeah I know
but if you aren't mounted as a cavalier you're a pussy and a cuck
get mounted, be a chad, take mounted combatant, use a lance and shield
>>
Why can't lance benefit from polearm master?
Seems like a stupid restriction
>>
Why did they exclude the Warlord and call Healing Surges hit dice?
>>
>>80445430
>Cavalier is fun as fuck but only if you battle in areas a mount can fit and your DM doesn't decide to repeatedly murder your mount
Ritual Caster and use Phantom Steed, it only has 1hp but no matter how much damage it takes it doesn't disappear for 1 minute. Which is long enough for basically any fight.
>>
>>80445488
also if you have mounted combatant, you can redirect attacks aimed at the steed to yourself and if it succeeds on dex saves it takes no damage
>>
>>80445488
this is assuming you can find a phantom steed spell scroll or beg your dm to let you have one
>>
>>80445511
Or a buddy who can learn it and make the scroll for you, it only takes 2 weeks with Tasha's rules.

Actually a high level Eldritch Knight could do it as well, being a magic knight riding on a ghost horse could be fun.
>>
So I haven't DMed a game in over a decade, used to DM 3.5 a lot. My friends have all suddenly gotten it into their heads that we should all play DnD again, and since I'm the forever DM it's up to me to try to come up with something that's worth the trouble.
I'm thinking of making a pretty long campaign that'll start in Forgotten Realms, do a Spelljammer thing, then move to Eberron and then end in Sigil. I'm thinking of using Cthulhu Mythos for 5e to make the story about a bunch of transplanar cultists trying to summon a bunch of bullshit that nobody in universe, not even gods, have ever seen before or is in any position to stop directly, because I think it'd be cool to force my players to be unable to fight certain things, and if I'm going to DM a game after 10 years, I want it to feel impactful to the setting.
Question though, is the crossover aspect too weird?
>>
>>80445649
I assume your players already know about all the settings at least basically from 3.5? Otherwise that would be way too much information in one game for players unfamiliar with the settings to follow the plot.

Otherwise it's fine, Eberron feels like a weird fit inbetween Spelljamming around and visiting Sigil however, unless something forces them to go there.
>>
>>80445671
Oh yeah, I'm not bringing in anything that my players haven't played before, setting wise, except for the explicit Cthullu stuff, which I'm planning to keep secret until it's actually revealed what's going on in the planned story.
The main reason for the Eberron visit is one of my players wanted to play a Warforged, while still starting off in Forgotten Realms with everybody else. So I just told him he's allowed to play as Warforged, but he has no memories of who or what he is, and uncovering his history has to be a primary motivation for the character, then decided to just make sure to detour to Eberron during the Spelljamer stuff.
>>
>>80445702
That sounds pretty good then, not sure much about what you have planned for the story but maybe the Cultists need something from Eberron for a ritual to summon monsters? That would be an easy reason for the detour to fit in.
>>
guys should sorcerers get cha or metamagic adept first? I thought since they're best at support CHA doesn't matter too much
>>
>>80442170
Not quite but not far off. I was talking to another party member who wants to take spell sniper and I was arguing with them about how it'd work with cantrips that scale with level. Because in my eyes, you learn a bard spell as a warlock or so. You have no levels in Bard, so any reference the spell makes to your level for scaling is zero.
>>
>>80445956
cantrips scale off character level though
>>
>>80445956
Cantrips scale of total level, not class level. It is why the 2 level warlock dip is popular as it gives you a cantrip that scales like extra attack and two invocations one of which can add charisma to the damage.
>>
>>80444203
Will you allow me to deal double damage to shoes if I have cobbler's tools?
>>
>>80445956
I'd recommend actually knowing the rules before you start arguing with others about them.
>>
>>80446056
Isn't learning the point of arguing the rules?
>>
>>80442221
Why is Tar Tarkas and all the other green men of mars drawn as buff dudes? The book specifically states they are lanky af and that they would be way to weak to stand under seartha gravity
>>
>>80442673
Best feeling.
I played a Dragonborn barb like a medeival himbo/dudebro. I don't get to play much because I mostly DM but on the times I have played they absolutely loved him to bits and frequently look for him at taverns when I'm DMing.
Really makes one feel apreciated.
>>
>>80446063
I thought the point was arguing inane semantics?
>>
>>80446107
Because, as you can clearly see here >>80445033 John Carter comics are one giant fanservice.
>>
>>80446063
Learning is the point of an argument, yes, but an argument mandates two points that have at least some merit at a glance. It is utterly pointless to argue a position without any knowledge of it, much like I'd waste your time if I were to argue that the sky is green (or "the colour of grass", if you would)
Cantrip scaling is well-known mechanic that anon could have confirmed with a simple duckduckgo search.
When you know nothing, you ask. You don't argue. You only start arguing when you know you're right, and even then you can end up having been wrong some of the time.
>>
How bad would be to call the villain Dr. Agon?
>>
>>80446241
Lol
>>
>>80446431
On par with a fakeout bad guy called Hed Reddington.
>>
>>80446445
Cleric of thor or stronmaus?
>>
>>80446643
I was thinking Danjermaus instead
>>
>>80446663
I didn't mean to reply to you
>>
>>80446676
I did.
>>
Cleric of thor or stronmaus?
>>
>>80446697
Amaunator
or Danjermaus
>>
>>80446431
Only the party of Genn Ericson, Cho-Senn, Mai Hiroshi, and Proto Ganesh can defeat him
>>
>>80446697
Who's stronmaus?
>>
trove when
>>
>>80446697
Thor. Worshipping a giant deity is cringe. And thor can become giant with divine size anyways
>>
>>80446697
Stronmaus is bigger, but is he stronger and musclier than thor? Methinks he's just ottermode like all storm giants
>>
>>80442673
>group hates my buff stud ambiguously bisexual stripper bard with a fiery passion
>agree to retire it and reroll a new character
>popular show releases new season
>character of the first episode is literally the exact same person my bard was
>group says its the funniest thing they've seen and spend all night quoting this hilarious new character that they saw on tv
>they refuse to acknowledge their hypocrisy

How do I figure out if my group just hates me personally?
>>
>>80446725
God of storm giants.
Swell dude.
But not as beefy or cool as THOR (both better have auburn red hair though, blonde thor sucks)
>>
>>80446697
Stronmaus, thor is capeshit for manchildren
>>
>>80446755
>Methinks he's just ottermode like all storm giants
Storm giants are hulking as fuck
>>
>>80446761
>they refuse to acknowledge their hypocrisy
You probably just weren't as funny or quirky as the professional actor, anon.
>>
Can I play a five foot ninety pound female human barbarian with 24 STR?
>>
>>80446697
Thormaus
>>
>>80446697
What domain?
>>
>>80446761
based party, fuck bards
>watching TV
disgusting
>>
>>80444309
It's going to be hard for the obvious thing of integrating guns that feel good without being over powered.
Just steal liberally from d20 Modern's Urban Arcana and you should be good. Also maybe look at Ultramodern5, though the classes there tend to be towards the top-tier of power depending on the enemies you throw at them (looking at you grapple-spec martial artist).
>>
>>80446823
>cleric domain for gods of storms and weather
Take a guess
>>
How do I become buddies with my table? Im the only add-in to the group, I know one guy but the other 5 people including DM all know eachother.
>>
>>80446697
Stronmaus is easier to fit into a campaign than thor, the latter is too entrenched in pop culture to be worth the hassle
>>
>>80443476
>You can use your action to take a bonus action.
I still have no idea why that wasn't in the rules to begin with.
>>
>>80446846
Become buddies in character first.
>>
>>80446856
It was an intentional omission to make rangers feel like shit
>>
I know blade ward is trash, but isn't it supposed to be good on a martial, or at least an arcane trickster in melee?
>>
>>80446871
My character is a foil to the rest of the party. I'm a lawful knight surrounded by murderhobos.
>>
>>80446846
just keep coming to sessions and dont be a sperg. repeatedly hanging out with people while having fun is the easiest way to become closer with people
>>
>>80446897
if it was a bonus action it would be ok, but its almost never gonna be worth it to spend your action to reduce incoming damage vs just dealing damage to potentially kill the target and totally prevent damage
>>
Who the fuck is stronmaus, it's not in 5etools
>>
How would an adult bronze dragon react if his human wife was killed and his mansion ransacked? Players didn't find the secret entrance to his lair but they did steal magical fullplate and a bunch of weapons. I definitely want to have consequences for this but I'm not sure how to do it.
>>
>>80447095
>killing the wife and stealing from a dragon whose breed has "War Machines" in their lore description
If you do anything less than have him go after them like dragon John Wick you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>80447095

Was it some sort of misunderstanding or just murder hobo'ing?
>>
>>80447095
With vengeful fury.
>>
>>80447126
Both? They knew he was a dragon but they though he was secretly a tiamat worshipper because an npc told them a shiny dragon was seen sacrificing someone with a cult in a specific night so they just jumped to the conclusion it must have been him. Still, the ransacking mansion and killing everyone inside was their idea.
>>
>>80447153

Then see

>>80447123

It's time for Bronze Dragon John Wick. They don't like cruelty and killing everyone because ??? is right up there, especially since it was people he cared for.
>>
>>80446979
What if you could use it in place of 2 melee attacks (effectively replacing your action if you have extra attack)?
>>
>>80447095
>>80447153
Bronzes are Lawful Good, so he would likely demand justice be served and arrange for the perpetrators to have a fair trial, possibly with the assistance of some allied knights or paladins to track down the wrongdoers.

Failing that, he'd hire some mercenaries to hunt them down and bring them before him to face judgement.
>>
>>80447095
>They are also fascinated by warfare and eagerly join armies fighting for a just cause.
>War machines...Once a bronze dragon commits to a cause, it remains a staunch ally.
>Metallic dragons also seek to protect other creatures from dangerous magic. As such, powerful magic items and even evil artifacts are sometimes secreted away in a metallic dragon's hoard.
>Metallic dragons covet treasure as do their evil chromatic kin, but they aren't driven as much by greed in their pursuit of wealth.

anon here >>80447123 >>80447145 are on the money.
>>
How do I get a bear companion?
>>
>>80447193
how does that make t any better?
>>
>>80447095
>n-no! what if I accidentally kill the party after they antagonized a being fully capable of killing them? I can't just have the adult bronze dragon roast their ass until not even ashes are left. That wouldn't be fun.

Nothing you do is going to change their behavior because you're going to keep establishing there's no consequences for their actions other than an encounter that is carefully balanced to ensure they survive.
>>
File: Read.png (101 KB, 1126x414)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>80447022
>>
>>80447222
It's not that i don't want to, trust me i really want to make them see they're not really the robin hoods they think they are, it's just that i don't know how to make the encounter be cool
>>
>>80443168
>>80442919
>>80442887
>Sigil rip-off

personally I think "labyrinth network mess of demi-planes" sounds way cooler than Sigil and I am going to steal that idea
>>
>>80447271

Have them be forced to ally with someone obviously evil (perhaps the guy who tipped them off) in order to survive. Then have him praise the heroes as proud champions of tiamat.
>>
>>80447287
I like this idea. Is it wrong to retroactively make npcs stronger though? It would definitely be cool if the guy (a survivor squire) turned out to be an antipaladin or evil bard
>>
>>80447193
Not sure if you know how extra attack works.
Even if you could use it to replace only one of your two attacks on something like an EK, you're already doing less damage, preparing for failure, and wasting a cantrip slot. Shield is far more useful as you take no damage, protect your concentration, and only use a first-level spell slot.

The only situation I can see it being useful is in an inescapable situation where you taking guaranteed damage every turn like being swallowed by something but that usually also involves acid etc. and is so niche it's not worth discussing
>>
>>80447333
he could just be a servant of the bigger evil, give him a magical item or a scroll with tenser's tranformation
>>
>>80447333
>Is it wrong to retroactively make npcs stronger though

What did your party have a fucking scouter on and see the NPC's power level? Alone he doesn't match a Bronze Dragon so he tricked the party into going in on his behalf. Then when he learned they were murderhobo lootrapists, he decided a proper alliance would be in order since they are clearly worthy to serve tiamat after killing a Bronze Dragon's wife.
>>
>>80443049
Sure, but they gotta act good most of the time. this aint a Bethesda rpg, petting the dog and kicking the dog are not equally valid outcomes. I'm just gonna have a night hag or succubus arbitrarily murder any evil (or chaotic neutral) PC that becomes too nasty
>>
>>80447625
>>80447625
>>80447625
new bread
>>
>>80442708

I still wish more people went with Franzetta's design for Green Martians. Those external floating tusks that everyone else does just look stupid.
>>
>>80446218
>comics
Disgusting

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.