[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 123.jpg (80 KB, 1398x806)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>can manage 20 shots per minute
>silent, no muzzle flash, and smokeless, perfect for ambushes
>can carry multiple air reserves each allowing you to fire 20 shots
>can be fired in any weather condition
>reserves can be recharged with either a hand pump for self-sufficient light infantry (it takes about 1,500 strokes of the pump for 20 shots) or a wagon-mounted mechanical pump for armies
>can be loaded from cover
>main reason they didn't show up earlier in our history is stress tolerances for the air compressor, easily solved by magic enhancement of materials or even just really skilled metalworkers
>prime limitations are quality of craftsmen (every soldier must basically be a professional gunsmith to fix a broken weapon), time, and expense required to make them (even by the late 18th century only very elite formations had them); easy to justify for elves who are as a rule highly skilled and experienced in multiple arts, but not numerous
>not so powerful that they'd completely snap an early modern setting's balance (mostly because their range and armor penetration are relatively lousy; only lethal out to 80 meters with 100-150 joules), especially combined with the aforementioned small numbers
>still meaningfully differentiates them from the gunpowder-happy humans and dwarfs (they'd still want to use SOME gunpowder rifles for their sharpshooters and against heavy armor)

Fuck bows, they're peasant weapons inferior in every way to even simple matchlocks. Air rifles are where it's at.
>>
>>80438003
airguns are based
>>
File: 1601559025716.jpg (48 KB, 850x601)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>80438003
>Matchlocks
Sorry senpai, if your elves aren't tacti-cool I don't want to play your setting.
>>
>>80438003
>have to cut down a tree for wood
>i have to trade with a dwarf for the lead
I think fucking not.
>>
>>80438003
I kneel to airfle elves. I see no holes in your logic.
>>
>>80441060
>have to cut down a tree for wood
How the fuck do they get bows, then?
>>
>Elves
>Weapons
Whoa, man. Just like, chill out, dude. Bro. Man, we don't do VIO-LENCE. That's for like, fascists man.
>>
>>80441226
melt down fingernails to make aplastic like substance.
>>
>>80441226
perform a ritual to ask the trees for branches or collect fallen ones/harvest dead trees
>>
>>80438003
The biggest downside of historic air guns was how fragile they were. For elves running through trees and shit or even high elf types in open field combat they'd be poor weapons that would be made useless by a single crack. Good only for light skirmishers.
>>
>>80441340
>The biggest downside of historic air guns was how fragile they were
arent elves often associated with fragile shit? Also well made shit of course, but also fragile.
>>
>>80438003
Did this for my setting actually. The few elf analogs who had to use guns for whatever reason had to use air-rifles since their innately magical disposition would fuck with the chemical process of powder ignition.

Yes, it's inspired by Arcanum
>>
>>80441715
>>80438003
I feel like im in some weird stasis. I still cant seem to fine a American rev. war period fantasy setting with airships, The US as a monarchy, papist spanish empire, and french-india, where europe and the middle east were destroyed by some mysterious cataclysm. I Know it is a thing, and I remember reading the wiki. it even had stats to convert it to 5e or something. Its driving me crazy trying to find it.
>>
>>80441340
>Good only for light skirmishers.
Don't most fantasy settings depict elvish warriors as skirmishers anyhow?
>>
>>80441053
I was assuming a 15th-17th (or at the latest, 18th to early 19th) century setting.
>>
>>80441340
They weren't particularly more fragile than other weapons, them breaking just meant that no one bar a handful of gunsmiths in the HRE could repair them because they were so complex, so their fragility mattered a lot more than a simple smoothbore's. I was thinking a scenario where centuries-old elves just made it a cultural expectation that each soldier would learn how to maintain their air gun, having plenty of time to do so.
>>
File: 1519145065693.jpg (73 KB, 1172x681)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>80438003
The bow has been the weapon of kings and heroes everywhere.
But anyway, your idea of gun elves isn't new, not original, we have a thread like this every week. Now do something interesting with dwarves for once, there are already enough dumb elf threads in the catalog.
>>
>>80444286
>The bow has been the weapon of kings and heroes everywhere.
No it hasn't. Since guns have existed, bows have been the weapons of plebs who could not afford guns. Even bowboos in 16th century England admitted this (they advertised it as a virtue, that any idiot could use a bow while early guns were powerful but incredibly complex and dangerous devices that required extensive drill). The nobility in Europe, Japan, India, West Africa, etc. held their usage of guns in high esteem as compared to peasant shitters.
>But anyway, your idea of gun elves isn't new, not original, we have a thread like this every week. Now do something interesting with dwarves for once, there are already enough dumb elf threads in the catalog.
not gun elves, specifically pneumatic gun elves.
>>
File: 1470401389673.jpg (39 KB, 416x807)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>it's another faux-realism mudcore faggot violently jacking off his loud boom-sticks
I actually had some ideas about elves using guns somewhere, but making a weapon the center of existence is just boring.
>>
>>80441053
What's elf-style tacticool?
>>
>>80441060
Why not? Only wokes believe they're hippies.
>>
>>80445825
>bastardized royal elf insignia carved onto stock
>carving designs into the wood instead of allowing the tree to naturally grow into a mold
>carving.
>checkering stocks instead of forming the requisite calluses through consistent use.
>bright green vines, everywhere.
>>
>>80444286
>Now do something interesting with dwarves for once

As has been discussed to death in the past, what you are asking for is logically impossible. Elves are a flexible archetype, dwarves are not. Anything new and interesting done with dwarves would make them cease to be dwarves.
>>
>>80444302
Seething guncuck
Bowchads mog you faggots to this day
>>
>>80438003
You guys do know that with better tech comes better guns, plus magic can equal into a whole bunch of fantasy magic tech bullshit you make your air guns out of.

So if anything, the only reason why Elves were so powerful at the start was that they unlocked Auto-air guns and large air cannons while using the most basic of metals. If you want to make the ground even, say the elves are slowly becoming stagnant while the other races are making advanced weapons like steam power tanks and even stronger cannons.
>>
File: Air rifle.gif (101 KB, 152x152)
101 KB
101 KB GIF
>>80438003
>silent

Have you shot one of these before?
>>
>>80438003
Bullshit, during long-term wet weather black powder would become useless and require drying before use. Besides that, I'm pretty sure that elves wouldn't want to pollute their forests with lead. It's toxic, after all
>>
>>80451012
>black powder
>air rifle
please learn to read faggot
>>
>>80441324
>Getting bows from fallen branches
>>
>>80441053
It's an air rifle you cretin
>>
>silent
Wrong. Quieter than powder but not silent.
But airguns are fucking awesome. Lewis and motherfucking Clark used them.
>>
>>80450581
>filename
>gif
Unless this is related to Girls' Frontline, I don't get it.
>>
File: air rifle 2.png (1.78 MB, 1234x652)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
I agree that OP is stupid but let's not worry about that so we can start talking about air guns properly.
>>
>>80452967
Even worse.
>>
>>80446729
>cease to be dwarves.
I'd like to respectfully disagree. While there are plenty of dwarfisms that can't be removed from the race without making them no longer dwarves, there are still many many possible interesting variations.

Just to name the most prominent that come to mind:
>Duergar
in their psychic, slavery based, lawful to the point the devils tell them to chill out, underground silk roads with their almost racial creative sterility when it comes to anything artistic.
>Chaos Dwarves
with their Babylonian/Sumerian theming, noted cowardice, tusks, and total lack of anything resembling clan or racial loyalty.
>Darksun Dwarves
being totally hairless, primarily living above ground or only very shallowly below it, and possessed of a drive that sees them becoming tortured undead if they die without fulfilling it.
>Song of Swords Dwarves
knowing without a single doubt the exact instant that they'll die, and having an urge to dig ever downwards that can take them like a fit of mania that is only resisted by being incredibly strong willed, or drunk off your ass.
Dwemer
Fulfilling virtually all the dwarven stereotypes and aesthetics, all the way down to hating both the nearby races of elves, while actually being elves themselves and only called dwarves because the giants named them.

Pic related isn't a very good example, but it is also another example all its own.
>>
>>80457982
>>Darksun Dwarves
Just because the setting uses the word "dwarf" it doesn't mean they are dwarvish in any sense except the syntactic. Their idea might have evolved from "dwarf" but even if, they are a seperate clade only related to true dwarves by drawing on some distant inspiration
>>
>>80450581
>>80455980
I mean, it kinda makes me want to shoot off like an air rifle, but I already know I'm degenerate.
>>
File: sword210b_900x.jpg (24 KB, 450x600)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Type XII and XVIII have to some of the most damn good-looking straight double-edged swords ever made.
>>
>>80438003
Wow, good thing i don't play 'modern' high fantasy settings
>>
>>80458850
They still tick plenty of the boxes.
Short, stocky, magic and poison resistant, sturdy, stubborn, workaholic, craftsmen, strong clan communities and racial bonds, generally ruled by elders, family honor, still have a reputation as metalsmiths even in a setting where anything metal is a big fucking deal.

They're dwarves, they're just hairless tanned dwarves that can interbreed with humans to make muls and harbor so big a grudge over unfinished work that it draws them into undeath.
>>
>>80442022
Most fantasy is wrong, then.
>>
>>80446729
You're wrong. Elves aren't a flexible archetype. Most fantasy setting are wrong.
>>
>>80446729
>Dwarven armored cavalry in big ass tanks and armored personnel carriers loaded for bare with teams of dwarves taking position with mini guns and drilling trenches for fortifications are some how less Dwarven than sneaky elves with barret .50 calibers sitting at the top of trees.
>Original Dwarven ideas like Rastafarian Junglefolk, Bankers and security guards, and ex-slaves to giants are some how disregarded

I don’t think you know what you want out of Dwarves DESU.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.