[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Ugly Mug Edition

>UA: Mages of Strixhaven
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_06_08_MagesStrixhaven.pdf

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:>>80430565

Would you describe your character?
>>
>>80435616
>Would you describe your character?
I would.
>>
>>80435616
Very warmly.
>>
>>80435616
Would you describe your character?
Yes
>>
>>80435746
based retard accepting defeat
>>
File: orx9xsrx1c871.jpg (61 KB, 467x470)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
What's the most ethical way to play a narcomancer?
>>
>heh, you take fire damage and your spellbook burns up, you've just lost thousands of gold and dozens of hours worth of spells and have to start all over
>what? your spellbook isn't flammable? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST KEEP ALL YOUR SPELLS AFTER I DECIDE TO ERASE THEM ALL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO LOSE ALL YOUR SPELLS ON MY WHIM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SPELLS ARE A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>80435839
only use corpses of people who consented to being turned into zombies before dying
>>
>>80435848
Why is it a game mechanic if you don't expect it to come into play? There are even rules about making spare spellbooks or recreating one based on the spells you have currently prepared. It's a part of playing the Wizard class.
>>
File: file.png (686 KB, 432x800)
686 KB
686 KB PNG
yo would wolfmen (shifters) have buttcheeks or just a weird square with a hole which means htey wouldn't be able to use armor like normal humanoids?
>>
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO LET ME ERASE ALL YOUR SPELLS WHENEVER I FEEL LIKE IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE AN INFLAMMABLE SPELLBOOK NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROCKS FALL AND CRUSH ALL YOUR BELONGINGS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: 1608575355637.png (1.22 MB, 875x960)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
>>80435894
why would not having buttcheeks make you unable to use armor
>>
>>80435767
>Giving me a (you) in the new thread
Should have read the summoning conditions in your faggot powergaming spellbook retard

>Durr the crystal can be damaged
Of course it can. The point is that it can be damaged by less things than a normal paper book, or am array of etched metal sheets. The point isn't that the crystal based spellbook is overpowered or broken (which you seem to think because your brain is mored in exclusively binary thinking), the point is that the crystal spellbook is better than the other provided options, making it a powergamer choice.

Sure the crystal could be dropped from its case, smashed by a hammer or something similar. Though there is precedent in 5es rules that magic items are indestructible by most mundane means (there is no sunder ability, oozes do no affect magic items, etc) . The crystal is clearly magical, not because it's a spellbook, but because it beams information into your brain by touching it. There is nothing to suggest that a traditional spellbook a wizard starts with is in anyway magical, only that it contains magic formulas, so they would not be subject to the the increased durability.
>>
>>80435848
>>80435920
samefag
>>
>>80435964
seethefag
>>
>spellcaster is carrying the avatar of his magic source
>>
What races would make for good way of the shadow monks?

Orcs seem like they'd be an interesting option with their aggressive trait combined with shadow monk's teleport.
>>
>>80435882
The problem we have here is that you're ignoring the fact that there are a multitude of ways to damage or destroy any spell book even with the crystal ones ( >>80434302 & >>80434392) that was described last thread. If you as the DM want to remove, damage, destroy, steal, or copy the material of the Wizard's Crystal Spellbook you can! You want the Wizard to have a backup? They can!
Its just a crystal.
>>
>>80435983
>Fiend Warlock with their patron being their imp familiar who has been demoted to imp form
>Using the warlock to gather souls to regain his old position.
>>
>>80436005
>that you're ignoring
That was literally my first post in this conversation, retard. I'm not part of your pissing contest, not all the people who disagree with you are the same person.
>>
>>80435952
>Though there is precedent in 5es rules that magic items are indestructible by most mundane means
No there's not retard, thanks for proving you haven't read the book lmao
>>
>>80436040
samefag
>>
Let gwyneth have her crystals, fuck man who cares. Move on and stop shitting up another thread
>>
>>80436095
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T HAVE CRYSTALS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DELETE ALL YOUR SPELLS WITH A FIREBALL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>80436040
>giving input to a conversation without knowing anything about it
kek
>>
>>80436122
My input was >>80435882
There is no context beyond "this is Dungeons and Dragons 5e" that is required for that observation to be pertinent.
>>
Tieflings are SLUTS
>>
>>80435984
>What races would make for good way of the shadow monks?
Gobbo.
>>
>>80435616
A tall, well built man with blonde hair, bronze skin, ink stains on his writing hand, and a gentle look in his eyes.

Kind of generic, but he's an aasimar. I can only do so much without breaking out measurements.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (134 KB, 273x365)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>80435839
>What's the most ethical way to play a narcomancer?
You have a terminal disease and are only producing magic drugs to leave money behind for your family.
>>
>>80436062
>Magic items tend to be resilient, but they are not indestructible. The DM can make it easy or hard. An acid pit might work! #WOTCstaff

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sageadvice.eu/how-would-one-destroy-a-magical-item/amp/

If a black pudding can't damage an enchanted dagger there is precedent that magic items are far more resilient than nonmagical items. The magic of the dagger makes it more durable than the normal steel it's comprised of. We can ascribe mechanics to this type of durability, maybe the item is resistant to certain damage, maybe it's immune, but the fact remains that the magical item is inherently more durable than a nonmagical item.

So while it's reasonable to say that a mundane piece of baber burns when exposed to fire, it is less reasonable to say that your magic crystal breaks when you fall on it from 5 feet up, because the magic of the crystal confers some special durability. Moreover, based on the OP that started this shit, the outward structure of the crystal was largely irrelevant, as the information is just planted within your mind when you touch it. Furthermore crystals can be reasonably tough, at the very least tougher than a piece of paper or thin metal sheet.

You neglect to address the argument, so I'll reiterate again
>The problem is not that the crystal spellbook is overpowered or unbeatable
>The problem is that the crystal spellbook is superior in almost every way to the other spellbook alternatives presented in the PHB
>>
File: General WyldenarcBig.jpg (116 KB, 500x707)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>80435616
its this guy, no magic, max armor , a general leading men, kind but harsh, warm but tough.
>>
Doing my campaign outline right now lads... it's happening
>>
File: 1605727713710.jpg (24 KB, 288x252)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>Psionics? Fucking trash, that sci-fi NotMagic shit has no place in D&D! What the fuck is even a psionicist? It sounds too much like "scientist"
>Warforged Artificer? Now that's BASED!

Why are people like this?
>>
>>80436120
>HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DELETE ALL YOUR SPELLS WITH A FIREBALL
I know this is a meme, but I took a second to check something:
>Object HP & AC
>A Crystal has an AC of 13
>This object is a Tiny Fragile object with 2 (1d4) Hit Points
I'm pretty sure you could hit this thing with a rock and it'd break. Even if you wanted to argue that its considered a magic item (which I wouldn't) and thus would resist all damage
>Most magic items, other than potions and scrolls, have resistance to all damage.
2 Hit points is not a lot even with resistance. A regular book is probably sturdier.
>>
>>80435616
>TQ
>Large cloaked figure approaches you without making a sound. Your self-preservation instinct tells you to flee and climb on the nearest tree. Even older instinct tells you it's already far too late.
>>
File: 621.jpg (33 KB, 500x375)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>80436267
The difference between those is that both the Warforged and Artificer are specifically magical. Warforged are basically golems with souls, and Artificers are literally just Wizards that focus more on magical objects then spells.

Psionics on the other hand always fucking insists it's "totally not magic" and actually it's because of "muh dna" or "muh science". Because of this it just doesn't fit most settings. If instead Psionics were just described as a different form of magic a lot of people would find them easier to swallow.
>>
>>80436229
>only
t. didn't understand a tv show
>>
>>80436449
Not him, but I do think that Warforged, Artificers, and Psionics alike are all nonthematic for the LotR-style sword-and-sorcery that D&D has built itself up around.
>>
>>80436490
I never said he couldn't grow to like it.
>>
File: 1598856289473.jpg (220 KB, 1938x1224)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Have some char inspo
>>
File: 1626897591681.png (326 KB, 480x580)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>80436255
>>The problem is not that the crystal spellbook is overpowered or unbeatable
>The problem is that the crystal spellbook is superior in almost every way to the other spellbook alternatives presented in the PHB
So does that mean the 6th option for a spellbook is magic? Because I'd call the ability to only be able to read its contents in dim light or darkness a magical property, thus making it magic thus making it resistant to all damage. This is listed as an official spellbook suggestion any wizard could start off with at level 1 without any DM permission.
>>
>>80435839
Ask DM to revert healing spells from Evocation school to Necromany.
>>
>>80436520
To be fair, D&D has left "being like LotR" behind a long long time ago.
And psionics is just a form of magic now anyway (Githyanki, Abberant Mind, Yuan-ti etc.) which works fine.
The most unique thing about a psionic class actually in line with 5e would be that it has a combination of the Wizard and Bard spell lists.
>>
Playing a Crown Paladin in an upcoming game with an all melee party. I have Str 18, Con 17, Cha 17 and PAM. I have 2 ASIs left. What should I go for?
>>
>>80436255
>the crystal spellbook is superior in almost every way to the other spellbook alternatives presented in the PHB
That's why it's a magic item, anon, how are you missing that?
>>
>>80436592
>I'd call the ability to only be able to read its contents in dim light or darkness a magical property,
You would also call a dragons breath weapon magical, which it isn't.
>>
>>80436592
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_ink

No, inks that are only legible under certain conditions are not inherently magical.
>>
>>80436682
That's not a property of the ink, its a property of the book. Its stated right there that the writing in the book is invisible outside of dim light or darkness, it doesn't talk about the ink at all.
>>
>>80436520
warforged are just playable golems
>>
>>80436668
You don't get to start the game with a magic item unless everyone else in the party does as well. Trying to classify a magic item as your starting class equipment is powergamer as fuck and makes you a fag. If your DM says
>Everyone gets a common magic item to start
Then great! Keep your crystal book. But if you get to be super speshul and nobody else does, that makes you a faggot
>>
>>80435616
For a character intro?

>A long shadow looms across the floor. The door to the tavern slams open, bouncing into the wall as a hulking figure steps into the room, preceded by a massive pompadour that sticks out a good two feet in front of them. Though its body is cloaked in a black garment that seems to shift and flicker, the figure’s head is visible, fully in view and easily discernible as half orc. Male, with a jaw that could cut glass and eyes that burn with confidence. As the eyes of the room turn to take in the newcomer, he smiles, showing jagged teeth, some tusk like. The black cloak suddenly vanishes, disappearing like a flame going out. The body underneath is pure muscle, clad only in simple, dark red pants and a sarashi wrap covering from below the chest down to the waistline. On his feet are wooden sandals, and at his hip rests a long blade. A crooked scar cuts the grey skin of his chest, from left shoulder nearly to right hip. He speaks, his voice heavily accented from the western lands. “Who needs a beer? I’m new to these parts, thirsty, and want to become friends with everyone!”
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>80436706
>Being pedantic
You should try harder.
>>
>>80436520
Oh sure, they definitely don't fit every campaign, but Artificers and their like have definitely infiltrated it's way into both D&D history and DNA. "Crazy wizard scientist" is a pretty wel known trope, for example, despite also being nonthematic to the original style.

Warforged are a different beast. They fit Eberron, but it's very hit or miss for most other settings.

Then again I'd go as far as to say D&D has basically completely shed it's original identity, and that both Artificers and Warforged fit into that it's new identity nicely.
>>
>>80436721
>you don't get to start the game with a magic item
Yes I do, I'm an artificer.
>>
>>80436706
So it's paper that, if you write on with normal ink, only shows it in dim light or darkness.
That is still not magical.
>>
>>80436747
Then you wouldn't have a spellbook now would you retard?
>>
Commoner/farmer girl next door type vs minor noble vs princess : which would your character rather hook up with?
>>
>>80436771
It's an infusion option and you can't fucking tell me how to use my features, shithead, if I want to make an enduring spellbook as an infusion that's my choice.
>>
>>80436760
>That is still not magical.
Why not?
>>
>>80436802
Princess for flirting, noble for hooking up, farmer for marrying.
>>
>>80436813
>Gotcha DM! I chose to be an artificer and made a magic item that's literally useless for me until at least 2nd level when I Multiclass into wizard!
Okay, you got me. Good job anon. You could've just like, sought out an enduring spellbook of something. But I like your idea
>>
>>80436267
>Why are people like this?
Doesn't matter, both should be setting related and only an option in setting covering them.
>>
Now I know I've been posting this homebrew over and over, but I feel I've almost got it down pat now. I know you /5ehg/ niggas are in here somewhere, I just need another round of feedback
>>
>>80436267
>Thematics this, thematics that
It's like the ancient art of reflavouring has been forgotten. If psionics bring well thought out mechanics then I'm all for them
>>
>>80436814
Because something is magical if
>it is explicitly magical
>used a spell slot
>comes from a magic item or weapon
This is not mentioned as magical, so it isn't.
>>
>>80436854
Infusions are only obtainable at 2nd level, baka. Still, the artificer using an infusion to prevent a dipshit DM from destroying a spellbook is completely legal and a nice way of the party cooperating. I'd imagine the wizard would pay it forward and scribe scrolls for the artificer since the artificer has limited slots.
>>
>>80436943
So by that same nature, these crystals that people have been talking about since last thread aren't magic items? As they aren't explicitly mentioned as magic/magical or use a spell slot or come from a magic item.
>>
>>80436802
My character is a wizard in love with the loli Pope from Eberron
the DM aged her up unrelated to this
unfortunately
>>
>>80436988
yes
just because something isn't realistic or possible doesn't make it inherently magical in d&d
again, a dragons breath is also not magical
>>
>>80436943
Interesting, so a Sphinx moving someone ten years back in time or to another plane (or both) isn't magical? A Silver Dragon can nonmagically turn clouds as hard as stone to support a castle in the sky? No magic is involved in the process of a Lich's soul regrowing a body from its phylactery?
Cook your meat before you eat it, this is what happens when you consume everything RAW.
>>
>>80437035
yes, yes and yes
>>
>>80437021
Fair points, this also makes it so those crystals as starting spell books really isn't that bad.
>>
>>80437077
Wrong.
>>
>>80437121
prove it
>>
>An etched crystal sphere the size of a grapefruit. While touching the crystal, you can psychically retrieve and store information and spells within the crystal at the same rate as reading and writing.
>A glass orb or crystal that reveals the spells inscribed on it when you hold it up to the light and project the result onto a wall.
I could see a Divination Wizard using these for spellbooks, honestly. Pretty flavorful with the whole "Read the stars" motif.
>>
>>80437219
None of those things can be done without magic. Thus, magic was involved.
Also the Lich's entry says
>A lich must periodically feed souls to its phylactery to sustain the MAGIC preserving its body and consciousness.
So despite the Rejuvenation trait not mentioning magic, the greater text confirms that magic is involved.
>>
>>80436941
>ancient art of reflavouring
literal "art of coping" lol.
>>
>>80437257
>None of those things can be done without magic
in the real world
>lich
so it is explicitly magical
>>
>>80437319
>Thing has good mechanics
>I don't like the flavour
>I change the flavour this is somehow a cope
I don't get it
>>
>>80437363
The difference between the real world and a fantasy world being, namely, the existence of magic.
>so it is explicitly magical
Ah, so you agree that mentions of magic in the descriptions of the monster mean their abilities are magical? Let's refer then to the dragon:
>Dragons are also magical creatures whose innate power fuels their dreaded breath weapons and other preternatural abilities.
QE-fucking-D.
>>
>18 AC, cast shield when enemy attacks me
>Hit with rapier and booming blade
>Crit on force ballista pushing the enemy back
God I love playing an artillerist
>>
>>80437455
>being the existence of magic.
Just curious, do you consider all nonhuman races inherently magical?
>>
yo clerics are kinda ass.
worst spellcaster by a mile.
>>
>>80437500
What Race are you?
>>
>>80437455
>that mentions of magic in the descriptions of the monster mean their abilities are magical? Let's refer then to the dragon:
no? I said the text referring to one specific ability mentioning magic meant that specific ability was magical
>Dragons are also magical creatures whose innate power fuels their dreaded breath weapons and other preternatural abilities.
this does not specify that "innate power" refers to magic
>pedantic
yes
>that's fucking stupid
yes, 5e writing is stupid and inconsistent, but this is how it works
>>
>>80435848
thats not how fire works in 5e, items you hold or carry dont have to make saves, can you at least cry about the actual rules
>>
>>80437579
>no? I said the text referring to one specific ability mentioning magic meant that specific ability was magical
The ability made no mention of magic. The flavor text in the monster's description did. You admitted that that meant that the ability was magical. The exact same logic applies to dragon breath.
>yes, 5e writing is stupid and inconsistent, but this is how it works
It's really not, it's just written assuming that you're not autistic and have elementary school-level reading capacity.
>>
>>80435839
>narcomancer
only use sleep and slow spells
>>
>>80437620
>The flavor text in the monster's description did.
There is no "flavor text" in 5e.
>>
>>80437668
So you agree that
>Dragons are also magical creatures whose innate power fuels their dreaded breath weapons
is direct confirmation that the breath weapons are magical.
>>
>>80437622
>A narcoleptic necromancer who wanted to learn how to be an enchanter, but made a grave misspelling on his business cards.
>>
>>80437698
no because "innate power" does not explicitly refer to magic power
>>
>>80436255
resistance =/= immunity retard
>>
>>80437717
It says "magical creatures whose innate power." What power if not magic? This time the burden of evidence is on you, because the text has provided. Again, elementary school reading comprehension.
>>
Rolled 9, 7, 5, 1, 2, 14 = 38 (6d20)

>>80436531
alright, DM here is my kenku mewn druid
>>
>>80437771
at-will, encounter, and daily
>>
File: image0-50.jpg (183 KB, 960x960)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>80437365
>cool character idea not supported by game rules
>co-opt different rules to try and fit into idea
>has to constantly delude themselves into believing parts of the game would work in manner they normally wouldn't
>still ends up not really encapsulating original idea very well
denial is the first stage of grief. the last stage is homebrew.
>>
>>80437779
>off by one
>>
Post shitty rp
>guy speaks in characters voice just once to establish an accent
>switches to "my character does this and then that" style rp
If you're going to just say what you do instead of acting it out a ROLEPLAYING game may not be for you.
>>
>>80437811
I think you're confusing the scenarios here. This is a case of
>Like mechanics given by the game rules
>Don't like theme, change that
>?????
There's no co-opting different rules or changing how the game works here
>>
>>80437865
Post shitty player etiquette.
>you
Both are perfectly fine forms of roleplaying, get over yourself.
>>
File: The-Crows-from-Dumbo-.jpg (73 KB, 653x490)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Rolled 2, 19, 17, 4, 7, 15 = 64 (6d20)

kenku party? kenku party.
>>
>>80437865
>has high charisma
>is an awkward sperg irl so none of his lines make sense
>has high intelligence
>is a retard irl so is incapable of ever playing to that strength and flops horribly whenever he tries
despite what the seething sperg/retard hugbox will tell you, mental stats are not something you can just handwave, you have to be charismatic to play a charismatic character and smart to play a smart character
>>
>>80437865
>character is just a self insert
>character makes constant modern pop culture references
>>
>>80437889
was going to make a joke about an all kenku parting bouncing the same sounds back and forth between each other, but i realized that pretty much is exactly how ravens communicate
>>
>>80437888
>not roleplaying is good roleplaying
Imagine sitting next to someone who's previously established a voice who then just uses his normal speaking voice for the rest of the game. "My character says he won't do that" instead of just SAYING THAT IN CHARACTER
>>
My players keep asking to check the shops for magic items and I don’t know how many different ways I can say “you can’t buy magic items from this random blacksmith, go into the dungeon”

I mean fuck even if they were for sale and exactly what you wanted you couldn’t fucking afford it. Also they already have like 3x as much magic as the dmg tables suggest, fucking hell
>>
my character says he won't do that in his usual accent
>>
>>80437977
>world full of magic
>but uhhhh no shops in the world actually sell magic items because i can't handle my players having fun
fag
>>
>>80437902
>"I give the crowd and inspiring speech, telling them all about how with their support, aid, and passion we can all work to fix the damage done to the block."
That's good enough, you should be allowed to roll for that and see if the speech worked. I'm not going to expect you to give me a 15 minute speech, instead just telling me what you planned on doing and how you go about doing that is enough.
>>
>>80437771
Sorcerer is powered by inate magic. They are a tabaxi.
Are their claws and extra speed magical now or just their spells
>>
>>80438022
>okay anon, but what does your character SAY? this is a roleplaying game, you have to roleplay, not narrate
>>
>>80437988
Can you read you retard? They have more magic items than they can hold
>>
>>80437943
Roleplaying is not "saying shit in character," it is imagining yourself in a role and making decisions for that character. Sounds like you're salty over literally nothing, not a good look chief.
>>
I don't want to be mentally ill anymore, I just want to dm my own campaign
>>
>>80438034
so let them trade some for other magic items, retard
>>
>>80437977
Time to add a collector that bought everyhting and left on a fast vehicules , you then may use it as a story element later of let that man leave for better places.
>>80437988
>fag
not that anon but if the alreadt got 3 times the needed amount he may want to stop the stockpiling.
>>
>>80437977
Just stand your ground, magic shops are retarded vidya shit. Maybe an alchemist at most.
>>
>>80437988
I have always felt that magic items are better when they have their own character to them. A magic sword should have history behind it, maybe even it's own name. They shouldn't be mass produced and sold at stores unless you specifically want to have a setting where magic is commercialised and essentially made less magical. If you want a magic item shop, it should be a rare thing that mostly sells quirky common/uncommon items that add some utility to the game. Of course that's just like, my opinion bro. I find the game more fun when magic items feel more magical.
>>
>>80438023
Does the text say "Tabaxi are magical creatures"?
Get fucked, you have absolutely dug yourself into a pit.
>>
>>80438058
Magic items are in the dungeons. If everyone and their mother were pulling them out of the ground and selling them at the fucking fish market then my idiot party sure as fuck wouldn’t be finding any out there
>>
>>80438105
magic items are more fun when you can actually fucking get more than two of them across the whole party and without waiting half the campaign
>>
>>80438022
>>80438032
them giving you the high points of that speach and an outline of the content should be enough , you can then estimate how hard is the roll to make depending on player offered content and background context only you know as a DM.
>>
>>80438032
>I just said what they talked about in their speech. They spoke on rallying up the distressed crowd, getting their support to repair the damage done to their city block.
>>
>magic items are rare and exotic
>dozen sessions in we finally get out hands on one
>someone else gets it
>oh boy now i know it'll be another dozen sessions before i get another shot at getting one
>>
>>80438161
>okay, but what did they actually SAY? I want the words, not the sparknotes, it's a ROLEPLAYING game not a NARRATING game anon
>>
>>80438105
Yeah I don’t even give out plain old +1 weapons, everything has an additional minor property and usually a name (tho that can’t always be learned by the party). When my lvl 5 rogue dual wielding +1 swords with minor properties that she took off two different enemy bosses, says “I want to see if the blacksmith has any upgrades I can buy” my blood pressure increases
>>
>>80438189
>I don't know, I don't have a 20 Charisma and +15 to Persuasion. You don't ask the Wizard to say his magical spell words every time he tries to cast a spell, I don't need to give you a 20 minute speech like my PC's about do. You can figure out whatever he says after I roll to see if it works though.
>>
File: Obelix1.png (56 KB, 186x286)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>80436016
>cleric drags the corpse of its christ figure as a holy symbol
>druid wanders around with primal beasts or grown saplings of sacred trees
>draconic sorcerer travels with small dragon both sharing the same heritage
>wizard is lugging all of his masters' teachings left on a tall monolith

Oversized foci are a neat little flavor I wish we saw slightly more often.
>>
>>80438247
>The magical spell words have no effect on the outcome of the wizard's spells, you are trying to convince a group of people to do something but you can't even tell me what you say, this is a ROLEPLAYING game anon not a ROLLPLAYING game
>>
>>80438131
Then find them while adventuring? That is what you are supposed to be doing in this adventure game. It is called Dungeons and Dragons, not Stores and Sales. It really isn't that hard to just distribute some loot in dungeons, you can even have a monster using the weapon to add some extra challenge and make the player more interested in getting that weapon themselves. Then when they get they weapon you can quickly add some flavour, if it is a flame tongue you can say "It is of dwarven make, and inscribed on the blade is dwarvern text that translates to "Troll Cutter". If the players investigated more into the sword, they would find that it belonged to a noble dwarven family and was used in the dwarf - troll wars hundreds of years ago, a sword designed specifically to be good against trolls (dealing fire damage). That kind of shit will make something that seems ordinary by itself, a flame tongue, suddenly feel a lot more special and unique and therefore the player feels better having found it. Much better than picking it out of some boring catalogue at the mandatory videogame weapon store. I once played a game that had a store that sold Holy Avengers like they were game consoles, and it felt shitty.
>>
>be in party with 20 intelligence wizard
>he's always clueless to what's going on
>always last to figure out puzzles
>only spell he ever casts in combat is chromatic orb and an occasional shield against some mook
>>
>>80438290
>go adventuring for a dozen sessions
>hey DM do we find any magic items in this dungeon?
>haha no magic items are rare and exotic! they have to stay magical after all :)
>>
>>80438273
>My CHARACTER is doing that, I've given you all that you need to know. You've wasted so much of our time on this. What happens after my speech? Do I need to roll?
>>
File: Benis pouch.png (616 KB, 2481x1398)
616 KB
616 KB PNG
Be honest, /5eg/. What type of underwear does your PC wear?
>>
>>80438374
>no anon, you haven't told me what your character SAYS, you have to ROLEPLAY your character, everyone else can do it so why can't you?
>>
>>80438387
she just tucks her dick into her thigh boot underneath her clothes
>>
>>80438418
>she
>>
>>80438353
Then you have a shitty DM, they could just as easily say that every magic store you go to doesn't have any weapons your class can use, for a dozen sessions. Magic item distribution is always up to the DM ultimately, so if you aren't getting magic items after a dozen sessions that's a problem with the DM, not the system.
>>
>>80438431
yes anon, she rolled an 83 on the demonic traits table, what's the issue?
>>
>>80438387
The world before stretchy fabrics must have been a nightmare. A hellscape of perpetually uncomfortable, itchy, binding, thick fabrics
>>
>>80438387
My male paladin embraces the masculinity of medieval life and wears stockings.
>>
>>80438401
>"Okay, if you care so much about what this character specifically says in this moment and are willing to waste so much of our game time on it... I'll give you the freedom to make up whatever he says as long as you stay in line with those foot notes I just stated. Go ahead DM give us that speech."
>>
>>80438387
>mini bag of holding for only 1 gold
this has to be a scam
>>
>>80438483
>I'm not playing your character for you anon, YOU have to tell me what YOUR character SAYS in their speech or else they're just awkwardly standing up there and saying nothing
>>
>>80437979
My character has a cold.
>>
>>80438503
Well to save costs they're all attached to the same demiplane.
Try not to think about it too much.
>>
>>80438353
>be me
>post any encounter
>I search the bodies/ room/ pile of treasure
>roll investigation
>uh, 6
>you don't find anything

>be anyone else
>plain featureless stone hallway
>I look for magic items
>roll investigation anon
>uh 23
>you trip over a +3 blade of avernus, roll athletics
>>
>>80438539
what if someone pees in the underwear demiplane
>>
>>80438539
i cast fireball into the plane
>>
>>80438539
Do the balls touch? That's gay.
>>
>>80438524
>"Still waiting for YOU to do this, the character is yours for this moment DM, I'm giving him to you, go for it. You already know what he's going to talk about for 20 minutes, so speak for 20 minutes on it."
>>
>>80438418
does she get a surprise round for tucking her feminine penis or is my passive perception enough to grapple it before it sproings?
>>
>>80438584
>no anon, it's YOUR character, YOU have to roleplay it, until you tell me what your character SAYS they're just standing there silently, the crowd is starting to leave because you aren't saying anything
>>
>>80438562
There’s a gelatinous cube at the bottom. Above it, four walls of glory holes. Thousands of dicks and tits extending up into the darkness
>>
Rolled 18 + 11 (1d20 + 11)

>>80438631
rolling sleight of penis, what's your passive perception?
>>
>>80438476
Tighty whiteies not so bad and I prefer still prefer 100% cotton to my synthetic boxers.
>>
>>80438651
>6 party members
>no one with more than a +2 Dex save
Oh yeah. That's definitely getting a fireball.
>>
>>80438387
I usually imagine most of them wear those off-white linen shorts/breeches. I like to be more autistic about fashion choice since I did study historical costume as apart of one of my diplomas so tend to dislike overly modern fashion elements in non modern settings.
>>
>>80438273
>The magical spell words have no effect on the outcome of the wizard's spells
Actually this would, if the wizard says the wrong magical words the spell wouldn't work or would be a different spell. So why isn't the wizard being forced to roleplay those spells?
>>
Rolled 17, 18, 20, 11, 11, 12 = 89 (6d20)

Time for chemo,
>>
Sluttiest race/class combo?
>>
>>80438791
kill and yourself
>>
>>80438791
Halfling Cleric.
>>
>>80438791
half elf, any fey subclass
>>
File: spooder.png (103 KB, 556x524)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>giant wolf spider pet
Y/N?
>>
File: Sidekicks.png (677 KB, 830x1080)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
>>80438928
>Challenge 1/4
Yeah it could be a pet and even sidekick.
>>
>>80438928
NOT FUN. WILL USE SEARING SMITE TO VANQUISH YOUR HORRIFYING IDEA OF A BEAST WITH DOMESTIC STATURE.
>>
>>80438791
>Background Servant (Sex Worker)
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>80438788
The Bone Saw
>>
>>80436263
Hell yeah brother, good luck
>>
What's something interesting that I can have my Tempest Cleric worship that fits thematically with the domain but isn't just "storms," which feels like a dumb thing to base a character around?
>>
>>80439062
The Elder Tempest.
>>
>>80439062
Perhaps some kind of specific storm giant god.
>>
>>80439062
the party's storm herald barbarian
>>
File: wojack.png (104 KB, 768x781)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
I've got the session starting in less than an hour and I'm not impressed with the content I have lined up. It sounded cool in theory but I think it looks like a slog waiting to happen now. We're in a very plot-centric part of the campaign too so it would be pretty hard to do an emergency ass-pull into more interesting content.
>>
>>80439069
>>80439119
That's still too close to just storms. The PHB mentions worshiping earthquakes, fire, and strength/valor. I was considering using it as like a Dragon Domain. Something in that vein.
>>
>>80439149
Literally why did you post this?
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 275x184)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>80439149
Don't worry anon I'm sure whatever you had planned is going to be tons of fun for you and the party!
Pic possibly related
>>
>>80439149
If there's exposition to be done, you can go halvesies and have an NPC only know enough to give 2 and 2 to the players, and watch/help them reach 4, so to speak. That's always fun, because it feels like a discovery made.
>>
File: boktai-spot2.gif (107 KB, 720x480)
107 KB
107 KB GIF
>>80438265
Django dragging coffins around like this is definitely cool, though I can't imagine how you'd make a character like him.

....an....an artificer???
>>
>>80439227
Chaika :D
>>
Is there any spell more important than Misty Step? Teleportation seems to be the only thing that a caster can do that no martial can even approximate.
>>
>>80437943
No everyone wants to be critical role-esque table of wannabe voice actors sitting around wanking each others ego off. People are shy and voice acting can be daunting and sometimes embarassing. People also aren't always good at improv so saying "my character does this" is honestly reasonable. At the very least be haooy they did a small sample of their characters voice so you ij your head can imagine how they say shit from now on.
>>
>Try playing game with /5eg/
>Everyone is cool
>Except this one guy who has a weird whisper-y tranny voice
>Alarm bells going off, decide to ignore them, maybe he's just in character
>3 sessions later
>Alarm bells proven right
>>
File: Shinji Phone.png (1005 KB, 1012x514)
1005 KB
1005 KB PNG
>>80439181
Solidarity from fellow DMs
>>80439193
No exposition, just a gruesome discovery and their first (fleeting) encounter with the big bad. But I'm realizing I've already pulled the "gruesome discovery" before in this campaign, so the effect won't be as cool as I originally conceived.
>>
>>80439247
I'm not sure who that is but Django is a vampire hunter specifically. When you beat the vampires in the game you seal them in the coffins you drag to a ritual site where you can purify them for good.

Boktai was such an underrated series.
>>
>>80439283
Never fails. What did he do?
>>
Have you ever accidentally seduced your DM?
>>
>>80439283
You can't just say that and not elaborate
>>
>>80438387
This seems like a good idea until someone hits you with a dispel magic and your dick is lost to the astral plane.
>>
>>80439159
Oh yeah, that could be a thing. I feel with the abilities specifically tied to lightning and thunder damage, it becomes harder to theme it around something like fire (which light and forge domain do better, obviously). But there are lightning dragons like blue and bronze dragons you could have your cleric devoted to or at least emulating in power. The bronze dragon even has a repelling breath alongside its lightning breath, which is similar to the tempest clerics getting the ability to repel enemies with lightning damage.
>>
>>80439149
Players will inevitably find something that grabs their interest and use it to go off on a tangent and say they loved the session. It's inevitable
>>
>>80439315
>>80439357
There's not much to elaborate, turned out he was a real tranny and wanted to share his disgusting fetishes with us (diaper, cub). He never posted anything explicit but kept hinting at it weirdly. During the game he would try to steal the spotlight and monologue but if you ever interacted with him or his character he was a cunt
>>
>>80439294
Then add something to this discovery. Something extra mysterious that can give them a chance to figure out something vital before it was originally meant to be learned. Something incongruous.
>>
File: 2009_01_10_Fyrbrand.jpg (18 KB, 300x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>80439294
Bro wtf
That guy is literally chocolate flavored Ron Jeremy
>>
>>80439393
Why is this always a fucking thing?! The fucking furry diaper shit! Listen, I'm a fucking coomer, I jack off constantly to weird shit and have a lot of weird fetishes, but WHY is it ALWAYS a furry in a fucking diaper! Why do they want to make D&D about their canine shitting itself?!?
>>
>>80438575
Anon you need to see where you're casting the fireball. Looking at all those dicks would be gay. You're not gay, are you, anon?
>>
>https://youtu.be/SH9Z-gxlSOY
Pure Artillerist Artificer, how is it? Anyone played one before?
>>
>>80436667
Even out the ability scores with one, go lucky/great weapon master/tough/fey touched/resilient
>>
>>80439449
Yes, yes I am
>>
>>80439461
I'm playing one now, we're only level 3 but it's very fun so far. I'm >>80437500 for reference
>>80437560
Vuman with Fey Touched
>>
>>80439500
Where'd you get the Rapier from?
>>
>>80437500
Are you using a shield? One thing I worry about with a blade cantrip artillerist is that the arcane firearm only adds the bonus damage when you cast the spell using it, which to me would imply you would need to be holding the firearm in one hand and the weapon in the other.
>>
File: 20210721_204151.jpg (100 KB, 456x642)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>80439423
Flay the degenerates
>>
>>80439423
Trannies are the biggest coombrains of them all, and their lives are utterly dominated by their fetishes. This is common knowledge, anon.
>>
>>80439507
If you mean physically, I rolled for starting gold.

If you mean in terms of proficiency, DM was using a homebrew race document that includes backgrounds with different proficiencies and abilities. If he wasn't I would have gone Artificer 1 > Bladesinger 2 > Artificer X
>>
Hey DM my spellbook is a series of Cuneiform embossed sheets of copper I store in a lightweight reed woven case. I took suitable metalworking tools and instead of inks I inlay fine silver wire like you'd find in a jeweler's shop. So it doesn't burn

I set my strength to 13 to reflect that I'm carrying a heavier "book"
>>
Is Half-Elf fun to play? It seems so mechanically solid but also very plain.
>>
>>80439588
ok, and?
>>
>>80439589
Fun in what way? A lot races don't add a whole lot mechanically
>>
>>80439588
O-Ok dude, whatever you want, you don't need my permission
>>
>>80439588
Sorry, you bought those from Ea-nasir and he swindled you, the quality of the copper is too poor to use to engrave your spells.
>>
>>80439589
Not really. Dwarves are more fun.
>>
>>80439588
Got it, rust monsters and heat metal users it is then.
>>
File: Dorf.png (3.51 MB, 1183x1600)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB PNG
>>80439624
AYE
>>
Dwarves are gay half orcs are the best
>>
>>80439603
I guess I like the way races can add to a class to give it options that it didn't have previously. Like a Kalashtar gets to use telepathy, a Triton can swim, a Bugbear has long reach, a Half-Orc can resist unconsciousness, a Dwarf has Stonecunning. No matter what class you are these can be unusual. But Half-Elf doesn't have any of that. Just Darkvision, Charm resistance, two skills, and two floating ASIs on top of +2 Cha. Very good, but very bland.
>>
>>80439248
>no martial
Vengeance pally teleports behind u
>>
>>80439541
We started with a minor magic item each, the DM let me have a wand sheath that's not warforged only the absolute legend that he is, on top of the allowances he gave here >>80439581

Since I'm level 3 (and I haven't actually infused my wand yet so can't even use it) I don't really need to worry about the firearm damage yet
>>
>>80439606
Kek. It's been almost 4000 years and that guy is still remembered for being a massive asshole.
>>
>>80439661
>two skills
You could swap this for a cantrip or weapons.
>>
>>80439588
>he doesn't know silver has a melting point and can be dissolved by acid
>>
>>80439661
Half elves have the issue of most DM's don't think they're anything special. So their main rp aspect is more or less ignored. If your DM has elves just wandering around like it's nothing weird (which I don't blame them, that's the basic assumption of the PHB) half elves are nothing special
If elves are rare (or at least rare in the region you're in) they've got an interesting side to them. But for the most part they're just viewed as "Well I want to be not a human but really I want to be a human"
>>
>>80439248
Soulknives, Eldritch Knights, Arcane Tricksters, Several paladins and Horizon Walker rangers would all like a word
>>
>>80439666
Aw man, that half-caster really proved me wrong.
>>
>>80439692
Look man temporary measures. I'll replace my spellbook with gold and platinum eventually when I'm ungodly rich like every PC ends up
>>
>>80439679
And he's only remembered for being an asshole because he dedicated a fucking room to his assholery. I'm torn because of how hilarious that is in principle.
>>
>>80439248
Just move 30 feet, you fat cunt.
>>
>>80439654
Please, Daelan is the worst henchman in the entire game. He's a Barbarian who never Rages, so he ends up playing like an underleveled Fighter with a bigger healthpool (not that it matters, because he has such low AC and terrible saves that he ends up taking tons of damage).
>>
>>80439589
Races for the most part don't do much mechanically. Kinda just a matter of what you want to rp (I like playing changlings and kenku because they're fun to rp).
>>
>>80439716
Just get your book enchanted bro, it does wonders for durability.
>>
>>80439248
Pretty much any utility spell is why you pick a caster. Obviously you need some way of interacting with combat but utility spells in general are huge.
>>
>>80439661
>Charm resistance
This is technically what you're talking, also I can assure that Stonecunning almost never comes up at all.

That being said, half elves have variants where you can trade the two skills for a certain feature from a specific elf ancestry. You can get a cantrip from high, weapon training from wood, swim speed from sea and I forget what Drow gives you
>>
>>80439588
use bismuth
>>
>>80439716
It might be more practical to get a protected container to keep your book in and Arcane Lock it

I mean we USED TO HAVE cool spells where you could actually transport and hide your spellbook in the Shadowfell or a pocket dimension but No Fun Allowed™
>>
>>80439793
Stonecunning is useful if you're exploring forgotten ruins more than dungeons. But it can also be useful to gain insight into what creatures you might encounter in a dungeon built by X. but it does rely on dm style
>>
>>80439692
Everything has a melting point
If you're being subjected to magma then you're already dead, bud
>>
>>80439692
>vs a book made of fucking paper
ok bro
>>
>>80439423
Diapers and furrys converge because of the logistics of wearing fursuits for many hours at cons led to people wearing adult diapers which led to the fetish growing in that community. this is why firry cons always smell worse than other nerd cons
>>
File: kkjrw2cyu5c51.jpg (106 KB, 1241x633)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>80439736
>Races for the most part don't do much mechanically.
Keyword: Most Part. There are some races that are very potent mechanically.
>Races with natural AC like Luxodon (12+CON), Tortle (17), Lizardfolk (13+DEX)
>Races with Armor Proficiencies like Mountain Dwarf (Light Armor & Medium Armor, also has some martial weapons), Githyanki (Light Armor & Medium Armor, also has some martial weapons)
>Races that give selective magic: Variant Half-Elves, High Elves
>Races that give flight Aarakocra and Winged Tiefling
>Races with magic resistance such as Yuan-ti pureblood and Satyr
>Races that have Marks such as the Mark of Handling Human
>Races that give feats: Variant Human and Custom Linage
These are some of the most useful from the top of my head.
>>
>>80439588
Hey dm, I'm a changeling and my spellbook is a 'tattoo' that I store on my body, and can shift anything about the writing and position at will.
>>
File: 1624143464960.jpg (12 KB, 395x373)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>80439736
Based Kenku enjoyer
>>
>>80439907
I like shifters, especially longtooth for a free boost of temp hp and a bonus action bite attack.
>>
I like to play Tieflings because I think they're cute
>>
>>80439907
I guess I phrased that wrong. I meant something more like mechanically unique. Yeah you get shit like human variant powergaming, but I meant stuff like Aarakocra flight, unarmored ac lizardfolk, shifters shifting.
>>
>no official rules for spell making
>everyone uses Fireball
>nut your biggest spells and then long rest
>contemplate why you even play D&D
>>
Which makes a better Tempest Cleric: A Hill Dwarf with 13/8/16/12/16/10 (or 14 Str and 15 Con with plans for Resilient) or a Half-Elf with 14/8/14/10/16/14?
>>
When you ready a spell, can you still move after readying that spell?
I know you can't counterspell a readied spell, but since readying can only be an action OR movement, does this mean you can't move to fire the reaction? Or can you still move as just part of your normal movement?
>>
>>80438636
>>80438584
You are both beyond autistic and never going to make it
>>
>>80440044
>I run homebrew rest rules so we usually get 2-4 sr per lr.
>Player wanted genie warlock
>I said okay
Guy does nothing but fireball at this point. It’s not even that good in like 60% of combats
>>
>>80440062
Not as part of the reaction, you can move or take an action as that readied action.
That being said readying an action is an action, so you still have your movement for that turn. so you can move and ready.
>>
>>80439959
Tell me fellow kenku enjoyer. My next kenku is going to be either
>kenku who worships knowledge but really doesn't know that much (arcane cleric)
>kenku who thinks they're a hot shit wizard but just got lucky and is a sorcerer
>>
>>80440062
Nothing says you can't ready an action and then move. So readying a spell and then moving is perfectly valid.
>>
>>80440107
Cleric kenku desu. When he speaks, he "speaks for the gods!" or something like that. Weird old cryptic voices, because he spent all his young life eavsdropping on scribes and clerics in various temples.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (49 KB, 395x641)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>80439980
Well, you're absolutely right.
>>
>>80439736
>>80439959
Quit playing birds with huge boobs, anons.
>>
>>80440062
Going to add to this:
Let's say there's an enemy in the distance. I can't reach them in one turn. Can I ready an attack for them entering my range then walk towards them?
>>
>>80440156
I don't play female characters. Don't want to do some tranny voice / speak in my normal voice.
>>
>>80440161
Yes. There's no functional difference between that and moving towards them and then readying.
>>
>>80440161
Yes, that'd work.
>>
>>80440161
Yes, though you'd only get one attack, even if you have extra attack, assuming you mean making a weapon attack.
>>
>>80440156
I don't play female characters though, Anon
>>
>>80440062
Yes, but it has to be on your turn to move. So you could
>Have 30 feet movement
>Move 10 feet behind full cover out of line of sight of foes
>Action: Ready Action cast X Spell when you walk out of cover (Note this is concentration)
>Move 20 feet to the desired location
>Reaction: Deliver spell
It stops counterspells, but its pretty costly.
>>
What's a good backstory to explain a character seeking to emulate dragons that isn't something cringe like "they were raised by a dragon"?
>>
>>80439149
>>80439294

well fuck you I hope you die
>>
>>80440343
Researcher that came to the conclusion that dragons are the ultimate life form. Kinda how crocs and crabs are irl.
>>
>>80440343
They researched them and wanted to be as powerful, prideful, and intimidating as one.
>>
Fighters, rangers, paladins, and monks have 2 maneuvers and 1 superiority die, which is a d6. Monks can spend up to 2 ki points to create a temporary superiority die (no action required) which lasts until the end of the turn, treating the result of the die as 3 times the number of ki spent.
Battle masters have a total of 5 maneuvers and 5 superiority dice, which are d8s (the base fighter superiority die is increased to d8, but not superiority dice from other classes or feats).
When you hit with a weapon attack, you can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the attack's damage by the rolled amount.

Disarming Attack. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can attempt to disarm the target, forcing it to drop one item of your choice that it's holding. The target must make a Strength saving throw. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the DC of the saving throw by the rolled amount. On a failed save, the target drops the object you choose, which lands at its feet.

Distracting Strike. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can distract the creature, giving your allies an opening. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage if the attack is made before the start of your next turn. You can expend and roll a superiorty die to add the rolled amount to the attack that gains advantage from this maneuver.

Evasive Footwork. You can take the Disengage action as a bonus action. Additionally. whenever you take the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge action, you can expend and roll a superiority die to add the rolled amount to your AC until the start of your next turn.

Feinting Attack. When you take the Attack action, you can replace an attack with a feint, choosing one creature within reach as the target. You have advantage on your next attack against the target if the attack is made before the end of your next turn. You can expend a superiority die to feint as a bonus action.
>>
>>80440375
>>80440377
Fratello...
>>
>>80440381
Goading Attack. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can attempt to goad the target into attacking you. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the DC of the saving throw by the rolled amount. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.

Lunging Attack. Once per turn when you make a melee weapon attack, you can increase your reach for that attack by 5 feet. You can expend and roll a superiority die to move a number of feet equal to 5 times half the rolled amount (minimum of 5 feet) before making the attack, without spending movement.

Menacing Attack. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can attempt to frighten the target. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the DC of the saving throw by the rolled amount. On a failed save, it is frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Parry. When another creature targets you with a weapon attack, you can use your reaction to increase your AC for that attack by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus. You can expend and roll a superiority die to further increase your AC by the rolled amount.

Precision Attack. When you make a weapon attack roll with disadvantage, you can use your reaction to ignore the disadvantage for that attack. Additionally, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.
>>
>>80440343
Dragon autism
a very real condition believe me
>>
>>80440381
>>80440403
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>80440403
Pushing Attack. When you hit a creature that is no more than one size larger than you with a weapon attack, you can attempt to drive the target back. The target must make a Strength saving throw. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the DC of the saving throw by the rolled amount. On a failed save, you push the target up to 15 feet away from you.

Rally. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature gains temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the amount of temporary hit points gained by the rolled amount.

Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack by 5 or more, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. You can expend a superiority die to make the attack without using your reaction, even if the creature's attack missed by less than 5. Once you do so, you can not use this maneuver again until the start of your next turn.

Trip Attack. When you hit a creature that is no more than one size larger than you with a weapon attack, you can attempt to knock the target down. The target must make a Strength saving throw. You can expend and roll a superiority die to increase the DC of the saving throw by the rolled amount. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

Ambush. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. Additonally, when you make a Dexterity (Stealth) check or an initiative roll, you can expend one superiority die and add the die to the roll, provided you aren't incapacitated.
>>
>>80440343
Your ex was a silver dragon and left you for someone more "dragony" that her parents would approve of.
>>
>>80440419
Bait and Switch. Once on each of your turns when you're within 5 feet of a creature, you can spend 10 feet of movement to switch places with that creature, provided the creature is willing and isn't incapacitated. This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. You can expend and roll a superiority die to grant you or the other creature (your choice) a bonus to AC equal to the rolled amount until the start of your next turn.

Brace. When you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your attacks to brace for an incoming enemy. When a creature you can see moves into your reach, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the creature. You can expend a superiority die to brace as a bonus action.

Commanding Presence. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Intimidation, Performance, or Persuasion. Additionally, when you make a Charisma (Intimidation), a Charisma (Performance), or a Charisma (Persuasion) check, you can expend one superiority die and add the rolled amount to the ability check.

Grappling Strike. Immediately after you hit a creature with a melee attack on your turn, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action (see the Player's Handbook for rules on grappling). Additionally, when you attempt to grapple a creature, you can expend and roll a superiority die to gain a bonus to your Athletics check by the rolled amount.

Quick Toss. When you take the Attack action, you can make a ranged attack with a weapon that has the thrown property as a bonus action. You can draw the weapon as part of making this attack. You can expend a superiority die to make this attack even if you did not take the Attack action.
>>
>>80440438
Tactical Assessment. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Investigation, History, or Insight. Additionally, when you make an Intelligence (Investigation), an Intelligence (History), or a Wisdom (Insight) check, you can expend one superiority die and add the superiority die to the ability check.

Commander's strike and maneuvering attack have been removed for conflicting with my commander homebrew.
>>
You guys know that the next step after Tasha's "any race can have any ASI" is going to be "any class can function off of any ability score," right? Charisma Clerics and Wisdom Wizards.
>>
>>80440494
Except INTlocks will be specifically prohibited, just to be funny.
>>
>>80440343
>something cringe like "they were raised by a dragon"
I-is that cringe?

One of my most beloved characters is a wizard who got adopted by a silver but wasn't allowed to become a dragonblooded sorcerer even after he told her because her soul wouldn't be able to take it (6 charisma)
>>
>>80440513
Very cringe. Dragons are terrible parents.
>>
>>80440494
>muh slippery slope
literally 0 proofs
anyways some casters SHOULD have alternate casting stats, like Int warlocks and Con sorcerers, maybe even specific subclasses like Int arcana cleric
>>
>>80440494
>it's a grognard has temper tantrum over any amount of change episode
>>
>>80440513
I had a beloved character in 3.5 who was raised by dragons but yes, it's cringe. It's anime tryhard shit.
>>
>>80440533
more like
>it's a grognard has a temper tantrum over any amount of change that exists only in his schizo head and has no indication of actually happening episode
>>
>>80440525
I mean, in retrospect that's pretty much the reasoning for her adventuring when you get down to it (silves are known to leave their humanoid families for up to decades at a time if they go on a quest or something).
>>80440535
Eh, i find it cute and nobody at my table gave me shit for it so i don't care.
>>
>>80440494
Great, I can finally make a strength based bard flexing to inspire others.
>>
>>80440532
>>80440552
How often are slippery slopes actually wrong? They're almost always accurate given a large enough timespan.
>>
>>80440494
Except this is entirely logical.
Charisma-casting anything should've never even hit the paper. Yvd0w
>>
>>80440594
nope
>>
>>80440494
Con based hexblade sorcadin coming through
>>
>>80440594
>bro they're literally always right if you just let n=infinity
>>
>>80440513
Silvers are okay parents, though they usually end up marrying a mortal and making the babies themselves.
>>
File: springdragon.png (330 KB, 436x521)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>80440343
You had a childhood friend who was the epitome of a honorable, cool, and chill dude.
Everybody loved the fucker, and you two where specially close. Bestest fucking friends.
Until one day your simple ass village got fucking raided by demons or some shit and the coolest guy straight up turned into a dragon and fucked up all of those gnolls single handedly, then he vanished.
From that day on you see dragons as the optome of nobility and shit and seek to emulate them, so one day you can find your friend and make him proud or something.
I dunno, I suck at this.
>>
File: Spidey&D.png (56 KB, 500x400)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
Are either the Archaeologist or Anthropologist backgrounds any good in Tomb of Annihilation? Or are the abilities for identifying ruins and speaking with ethnics useless?
>>
>>80440642
>though they usually end up marrying a mortal and making the babies themselves.
I left that part up to my dm, he basically told me my character believed she had a mother but she died during birth but it was revealed midgame that my character was the progeny of a blackguard her dragon dad fucked up, along with like 3 of her infant brothers. My dm likes compplicated drama, but i don't mind because he enjoys doing it
>>
>>80440532
Those two specifically male sense. I prefer arcana cleric staying wis.
>>
>>80439938
ok but you can only do that with the spells you have memorized, unless you have the Keen Mind feat
>>
>>80440494
That's already in the DMG
>>
>>80439938
>Where did I put cloudkill?
>Ugh right.
>Hey someone get the goblin over here I need someone short to hold a mirror for me
>>
>>80440790
>That's already in the DMG
Do you remember the page? Doesn't ring a bell.
>>
>>80440642
Silvers are mortals though
>>
The party has a useless follower with no skills or utility, either in or out of combat. Despite this, they absolutely adore this follower. How can I implement them into the campaign besides just having them get kidnapped? The follower is a beautiful woman.
>>
>>80440869
Anything with a statblock is mortal.
>>
>>80440873
Make her being useful off screen a gag, like the party leaves her for five minutes and comes back to find she's fended off a dozen goblins on her own. Or make her uselessness an arc for her. She wants to repay the party and is constantly trying to find ways to do so. Maybe she starts trying to cast useful rituals around camp. Then we come to find out she's somehow become a warlock.
>>
>>80438387
Thongs or all natural. Quite cozy.
>>
Your str stat is how many push ups you can do divided by 4.

Your chr is equal to the number of times you've sucked a cock or been sucked.
>>
>>80440873
Lost noble lineage whose blood holds the key to unlocking some ancient tomb? Maybe there's a royal family with access to some special weapon or magic item or even just halls of information which is giving them the leverage to stay in power, and this woman could distribute that power if the party brings her to the location.
Or just have her get blessed by something and become a low-level healbot Cleric.
>>
>>80440923
I like the gag idea, I'll make then a destroyer of worlds. Can I make them stronger than the party or would that be too retarded
>>
I have a burning desire to run Tyranny of Dragons while reworking/rewriting it to not be shit
>>
>>80440873
>How can I implement them into the campaign besides just having them get kidnapped?
She gets maimed, killed, etc.
>>
>>80439358
Wouldn’t it just pile the contents out and seal shut?
>>
>>80440664
the anthropologist speaking with ethnics never came up, then again the player with that background was a complete fucking retard.

I used the Archaeologist to good effect a few times.
>>
How do i make a good druid without being a skinny strlet?
>>
>>80440873
Have her get training from the party. She eventually takes on a sidekick level. And joins the party.
>>
>>80440985
May as well start from scratch at that point... but do it!
>>
>>80440851
>change the position at will
Read nigger, read.
>>
>>80440926
>divided
surely you mean multiplied you manlet

WIS is how often you remember to say "nohomo"
>>
>>80441027
Make a Goliath arctic land Druid. Control the battlefield with cold and frost. Summon polar bears and shape change in to orcas and seals.
>>
>>80441052
>manlet
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>80441027
Be a turtle.
>>
>>80440873
give her plot armor and let her tag along, hide behind rocks or whatever.
>>
>>80441057
Stats? Can goliaths look buff while having 10 str? They can lift the same as a 20 str human after all
>>
>>80441027
Go Hill Dwarf, maybe talk to your DM ahead of time how easy it'll be to get non-metal medium armor or whether he gives a shit about whether they wear it.
>>
What are some good monsters for a beach encounter? My characters are heading to an island and I want them to fight monsters that would be on the shoreline, but I can only really find deep sea aquatic monsters. The only thing I can really think of are giant crabs.
>>
>>80441077
Dwarves with 10 str aren't very buff at all.
>>
>>80440946
Nah never stronger than the party but make her luck something that may come into play. Like her describing what happened to the goblins was just "they started tripping over themselves and a few landed on their own swords." Like the woman was born with 20 points into luck and if the party takes advantage of that every roll she makes is done with triple advantage or something.
>>
>>80441045
I see it as similar to Descent Into Avernus

A cool concept, some neat ideas and potentially interesting characters, but presented in an absolutely asinine fashion.

Currently running an Avernus campaign, Tyranny of Dragons is next on my list
>>
>>80441100
I was more thinking if you have medium armor you can focus on buffing your strength instead of DEX without getting your AC fucked over.
>>
>>80441123
Hill dwarves don't have medium armor proficiency though. And druids already have medium armor prof.
>>
File: 20210506_231211.jpg (25 KB, 827x456)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>80437077
>>
>>80441027
Be stupid and uncharismatic enough to have a higher strength.
>>
>>80441139
...Well I fucked up completely, apologies. Dunno how i got mountain and hill mixed up.
>>
>>80441148
I can only afford like 12 str without compromising my other stats to be odd even if i do that though
>>
>>80441336
Ask your DM if you can do a bunch of workouts in your down time and when that doesn't let you increase your strength, curse the system.
>>
>>80441336
>>80441148
Give yourself 10 or 12 str and 20 con, say your character is bulky but not actually strong. Like a bodybuilder
>>
>>80440854
I don't remember where I saw, might've been either the DMG or PHB, just checked both.
Could be that I was mixing up the rule with alternate ability scores for checks.

If it was anywhere, it was definitely a throw-away line
>>
>>80438038
Just let me die
>>
>>80438038
Believe me anon, those two things are not mutually exclusive
>>
Realistically most adventurerers should have both positive con and strength naturally right? They are constantly having to travel around and climb around in dungeons and run around the battlefield, even wizards would naturally get physically stronger and fit. It sucks that those stats don't naturally increase over time as you do more of that stuff, and instead you have to wait for clunky ASIs that you are incentivised to increase your main stat with or just be a generally weaker character.
>>
>>80441081
Killer Whales that intentionally beach themselves to grab the party
Sand Pit / Sand Worms
Water, Air, or Sandy Earth Elementals
seagull Aarakocra
>>
>>80441070
Even with something like a 12 strength you’re still one size larger for carrying capacity and lifting and pushing objects.

So even a 20STR medium creature still can’t lift and carry as much as you can as a powerful build 12 strength character.
>>
>>80441437
>his main stat isn't 20 at level 1
>>
>>80441437
Most adventurers DO have good con, anon. Those that don't do not last very long. It's the stat everyone wants to be decent.

As for strength, you may be physically fit/healthy with your decent Con but unless you're lifting your wizard isn't getting massive gains by carrying 20 pounds of equipment around no matter how much walking you do
>>
>>80441464
How much foreskin should my dwarf have?
>>
>>80441499
>DM says it's going to be a deadly campaign
>dump CON on my backup PC
I can't wait to suck the resources from the party in every encounter while they try to keep me alive
>>
>>80441457
>Killer Whales that intentionally beach themselves to grab the party
Do killer whales really do that?
>>
>>80441499
I am not talking like 16+ strength, more like 11-12 strength. If just feels weird there are so many adventurers walking around with an 8 in their strength for their entire adventuring career and it never actually improves from all the physical activity they do. I think this is mostly just a problem with the system and how stats are balanced. The fact that it is harder to be both strong and smart, even though physical activity and exercise improves your brain functions and helps you become smarter annoys me to no end.
>>
>>80441515
All of it.
>>
>>80441541
whales and killer whales do beach themselves but it's not about food.
>>
>>80441556
They just need to bathe in the sun sometimes! Thats how orcas get that nice tan coloration!
>>
>>80441541
Yeah it's pretty rad
https://youtu.be/AtF3FPyRVIw
>>
>>80441711
>Not even killed, dragged into the water to be hunted by youth as training
Good Lord
>>
>>80441767
Orcas are some bad motherfuckers, anon.
>>
>>80441385
Could be, that was what came to mind when you said that anyway.
Not that I'm against classes getting access to different casting stats, but that might be my inner Pathfinder fag showing (still pissed they pussied out on making the Scarred Witch Doctor a CON caster).
>>
File: banshee[1].jpg (134 KB, 595x403)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>"Once per day, the banshee can release a mournful wail, provided that she isn’t in sunlight"
>provided she isn't in sunlight
>encounter in a foggy swamp on a stormy day
yo i'm good for this bitch to wail the shit outta the party, right?
>>
>>80441870
I'd say so yes.
>>
>>80441794
Yeah I'm not against casters swapping stats around, but the only class I'd even consider swapping stats would be Cha for Int on Warlock.
Having Monks be Str/Dex instead of Dex/Wis would be cool af though
>>
>>80441918
Brawler FTW
>>
>>80441870
wouldn't the storm clear the fog?
>>
I think I might be done with dnd. wotc just refuses to make new content and I'm getting bored of waiting.

what now?
>>
File: 841814157634354.png (139 KB, 500x357)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>80441978
>>
>>80441918
STR monk would be great, fuck twink monks I wanna play a strong boxer-type.
>>
>>80442033
You could play a fighter with unarmed fighting style. Go one level barb for con bonus to unarmored defense. It's less ninja-y but makes for a pretty good boxer/brawler.
>>
>>80442010
Try playing one of the numerous not-dnd systems I guess.
Dunno which ones are the most prolific in making content though, Pathfinder 2e maybe? They seem to get new books pretty often. Evil Hat seems to as well but not as part of one system from what I can tell.
>>
What class are spell sniper spells? I know arcane cleric specifies the spells you gain are cleric so I don't know if there's significance to spell sniper not mentioning or not, especially considering the spellcasting ability is based on the class the spell is from.
>>
My friends, allows this to be the last 5e general. We will become martyrs for the sake of a hobby we love. May our deaths persuade wotc to change for the better.
>>
>>80442124
i like 5e
>>
>>80442124
I'm indifferent about 5e
>>
>>80442092
Look at the spell lists for each class, whatever is listed in the base spell list are what counts as the spells for that class. Bonus spells or extended spell lists granted by subclasses do not count, otherwise every single base cleric spell would also count as a sorcerer spell thanks to divine soul.
>>
>>80442092
I'd assume it is counted as a spell from the class list you take it from, but you're right that there's room for interpretation. Has the question actually come up from a situation in play though?
>>
>>80442124
I don't wanna die.
>>
>>80442191
>>80442191
>>80442191
new bread
>>
File: WkVAouZ0LAY.jpg (70 KB, 720x638)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>80442157
>>80442149
based takes
hating 5e is boring neckbeard faggotry, i've DM'd for 19 years and 5e being accessible and blowing up D&D in the mainstream is the best thing to happen to the game since the cartoon 36 years ago, even if I don't think it's the most elegant system or the best incarnation.
>>
>>80442077
I guess, or could just go barb and take the feat that gives you a fighting style.
>>
>>80442194
>deleted
good
>>
>>80442194
dead bread
>>
>>80442194
Well shit that was fast.
>>
>>80442218
Yeah i forgot to fill the suubject bar so i deleted it
>>
>>80442195
Which incarnation is your fave old man?
>>
>>80442221
>>80442221
>>80442221
>>
>>80442207
The advantage of fighter is that you can go battlemaster and flavor your manuevers as takedowns and cross-counters and the like. But that's my bias because I just find barbs to be kinda boring. The combat bonuses are decent but they suffer from the champions "I hit the thing with my weapon" syndrome.
>>
>>80442252
Yeah, I see where you're coming from with that. Maneuvers really should've been a martial thing.
>>
>>80442312
Agreed.
>>
File: Narc_Poster.jpg (22 KB, 237x350)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>80435839
>narcomancer
isn't this just a paladin devoted to finding drug runners?
>>
>>80442252
>I just find barbs to be kinda boring. The combat bonuses are decent but they suffer from the champions "I hit the thing with my weapon" syndrome.
Have you tried playing 4E?
>>
>>80442628
No, I can't find any games
>>
>>80440343
"being raised be a dragon" is pretty much the sole non-cringe reason why your pc would emulate dragon behaviour, everything else can be boiled down to autism or a fetish
Fucking contrarian

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.