[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1624489507052.jpg (162 KB, 1000x647)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>What is Shadow of the Demon Lord?:
Shadow of the Demon Lord is a horror-fantasy tabletop adventure game that presents a world standing on the brink of annihilation. In this game, you and your friends play characters charged with fighting back against the spreading evil, whether that involves tracking down potent relics, exploring ancient faerie ruins, journeying into Hell to bargain with the Devil, or battling demons and the cultists who summon them. The system is setting agnostic and has a wide variety of possible details for your own world.

>What is PunkApocalyptic: the RPG?:
The world has gone to hell and nearly everyone who has lived through it has gone mad. In PunkApocalyptic: the RPG, you and your friends assume the roles of mercenaries who roam the Wasteland. In this bleak and radioactive land, you fight to survive, explore the ruins of what came before, and trade blood, sweat, and tears for the precious bullets that have become the land's currency. Explore the radioactive ruins, fight battle-crazed mutants, negotiate with bizarre cultists, bargain with junkers and scavengers, and unearth fantastic relics from the past.

>Trove Link:
r3br@nd <dot> ly /SDL

>Reference Table:
schwalbentertainment.com/play-aids/shadow-of-the-demon-lord-reference-tables/

>Simulacra (5etools for SotDL)
pastebin.com/5yj3vYRj (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Roll20 statblocks
r3br@nd <dot> ly /SotDLBestiary

>Latest Releases:
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355731/Heavens-Sent
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/362307/Paths-of-Conflict

>Current Kickstarters:
>PunkApocalyptic: the RPG
www.kickstarter.com/projects/432417423/punkapocalyptic-the-rpg

>Asunder
www.kickstarter.com/projects/failedsuperhero/asunder

>Previous Thread:
>>80076373

>Thread Question:
What is your favorite spell in any DLEG game?
>>
>Favorite spell

It's not the best, the most useful or most powerful, but I really like Fae Gold. Fae spell, turns a lead into a gold coin until sunrise the next day.

Really captures the annoying dickishness and illusions of the fae.
>>
>>80243327
>lead

LEAF. It tuns a leaf into gold briefly before reverting back to being a useless leaf.

Kind of like Jim Carey
>>
Going to ask again if there are any resources for SotDL for foundry. compendiums.
>>
>>80243683
I know that there is a Discord community for SotDL in Foundry, but I doubt they have compendiums, at least publicly. You can find the invite in the SotDL discord and check for yourself, though.
>>
>Favorite spell
That's way too hard to pick. Somewhere between Fire Imps, Hoary Tentacle, and motherfuckin' Arcane Lightning. Also about 70% of the Destruction tradition.

>Chainsaw question from last thread
My first draft is
3d6, cumbersome, messy, fuel

Messy: 20+ and 5 over: impaired for a minute by grisly wounds (I've seen this property somewhere but I can't recall from whence, might have been 3pp)

Fuel: for simplicity's sake, idling doesn't consume fuel, but when you rev to attack it uses one Unit. Fuel's cost is 1ss for 5 units (equal to bullets), the weapon can hold 10 units of fuel at a time, and canisters can hold 20 units of fuel which counts as one item for carry limitations
>Abstract fuel
So long as you have an unused canister of fuel you are always assumed to have enough fuel for up to one minute. After, yadda yadda 0 or less you're fucked. 5sp for a canister.
>>
>>80241689
>What is your favorite spell in any DLEG game?
Probably feat of will from soul
>>
How do you work Simulacra? Doesn't have any content. All I see are page sources
>>
>>80248338
Read the readme
>>
>>80241689
>Favorite Spell
Utter Ruin, by far. Have never actually had the chance to use it, but the spell is so over the top ridiculous in almost every aspect that just merely explaining what it does will get people interested in the game
>>
>>80245420
It looks good. The messy weapon property comes from Ra Press. It's in By the Gun, and also their new book Finduviel's Emporium. It's a large book on weapons and stuff (50+ pages). They also have a chainsaw-like weapon in there.
>>
>>80248705
Since when do people shill Ra Press' utter garbage here?
>>
>>80249111
Why is it garbage?
>>
File: file.png (584 KB, 434x718)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
>>80250039
They routinely put out shit like this
>>
>>80250892
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>80250039
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "garbage" personally, but Ra Press' content tends to suffer from the same issues that most 3rd party content for any game suffers. That being generally wonky power levels (everything is either OP or useless), writing and rules design that doesn't really match the system it's made for, quantity > quality when it comes to options, several options that feel at odds with the game's tone (a lot of semi-anime, tacticool, or HEMA-flavored stuff) etc. etc. etc.
Because they're the only people consistently making a lot of 3rd party SotDL content, they're usually given the benefit of the doubt by the community, but I really feel like their stuff is no better than the average 3rd party D&D 5e content, for example. I also don't see how most of it is necessary, since (outside of equipment, I guess) SotDL already has more options than a single player is likely to ever need, let alone read or know about.
>>
File: 1624116148257.webm (505 KB, 720x404)
505 KB
505 KB WEBM
>>80250892
>Sniper Position
Okay, a little strange but passable
>Disabling Shot
Alright triggered action to...
>target becomes stunned for 1 round
>instant kill level 10 ability that has no challenge roll and easy enough to accomplish
>>
>>80250892
But why is their chainsaw garbage?
>>
File: file.png (443 KB, 451x440)
443 KB
443 KB PNG
>>80251009
>>80251014
It's also written in a very ametuer way when writing rules text like SotDL rules text is the easiest part of the whole process. It's a massive indication of "I don't care", because it's a trivial thing that makes products way more usable and easy to understand. They at least don't do much of the attached with their formatting anymore, so that's something.
>>
>>80251014
I think you're reading it wrong. It doesn't require just a triggered action.

It requires an action to get into position. Then next round you use an action to fire, and if you hit you can then use a triggered action to stun. And then you have to reload the following round. So you can't use it again the next round. Even if you get one of the expert paths to reload on a trigger, you still can't use it every round.

Is that really OP? I mean, the monk can stun at level 2 with just a 20+, no save required.
>>
>>80251569
A Monk works with unarmed weapons, a Sniper works with literally any attack. You can make shit like Fireball auto-stun. It's insane. Catastrophic Brain Shot is also just a way better Assassinate, taking a Paths entire concept as it's own and then doing it better. Groupsight is free boons, and then either useless or it lets you shoot through walls.
>>
>>80251780
>Sniper works
Sniper's stun works**
>>
>>80241689
>favorite spell
Horrid Joining
>>
>>80241689
Bury the Hatchet is just that perfect combo of flavorful and flexible.
>>
File: Boogeyman.png (99 KB, 256x256)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
Updated the Roll20 Bestiary. Added everything from Ghastly Gourmands, Wretched and Unclean, and Odd Monsters.
Given that these supplements were released before the corebook revision some of the Health values are inconsistent with the rest of my work. You might want to increase those yourself if you use the revised bestiary.

r3br@nd <dot> ly /SotDLBestiary
>>
>>80253890
Will you add Paths of Conflict soon?
>>
>>80254623
Sorry, I'm not the TroveAnon. I just make statblocks for Roll20.
But I can upload Paths of Conflict to a vola if you want.
>>
>>80255016
I would greatly appreciate.
>>
Didn't get very far in our campaign, but my fairy priest of Revel used trip more than anything. I was ruining my GMs encounters with trip. It was glorious. I went psychic and made fae magic my psychic tradition, and I could trip like 10 fucking times a day.
>>
>>80256163
Dusty Shelf.
>>
>>80251569
Stunning at long range seems a lot better than stunning at melee range.
>>
>>80241689
>What is your favorite spell in any DLEG game?
Horrid Defecation just plain tickles me. Imagine being a wizard who makes people shit themselves to death.
>>
>>80259059
>Horrid
Hateful, brain fart.
>>
>>80259059
typical SotDL fan right here
>>
>>80259142
I get the impression it's quite the opposite, honestly. Most other people I see talking about how great it is downplays the grossout content and emphasises how it's mechanically D&D-but-better. The average thread will normally have people telling you to outright ignore the Forbidden tradition entirely. I just think it's vulgar, immature as all hell, but funny.
>>
It's slapdash and unfinished, but I've put together a brief players guide to my setting that uses SotDL, named Farsia after the continent where the main campaign occurs.

Some may recall seeing these ancestries a year ago or so in these threads, it now looks like I may actually get this to a game. Thanks again to those who helped with tweaking ancestries, given I haven't managed to actually play SotDL yet despite having most of the books and loving it so far.

I will let players have the saprophican, changeling and revenant ancestries for future characters but only after they have discovered them in the campaign. I figure too many options can overwhelm a new player, and having these strange ancestries immediately explained diminishes the mystique or discovering them naturally over the course of play.
>>
>>80251780
It's pretty obvious it's supposed to work with the weapons listed in the previous talent, which is required to use this talent. Most RPGs, and SotDL in particular, do require some common sense. If you want to intentionally read it in another way, that's up to you, but you're going to encounter a shit load of problems in almost every game if you do.

As for "taking another paths shtick and making it better," I agree with that. Seems like they should have just left the brain shot out and just kept the spotter talent - that's a good level 10 as it is.

I'm still wondering why this means that their chainsaw is bad.
>>
>>80260704
>I will let players have the saprophican
Based. I'll read the thing in a bit but would love you to post about any later Saprophican adventures.
>>
>>80259059
Shitty wizards, no sense of right and wrong
>>
Is it true what they say about there being a shit and piss fetish, among other things?

I mean I'm read through the book for the first time and it's weird as fuck. There's literally an entry for demons farting on you. Among actual useful abilities like being a spell caster, having wings or a spiked tail... the demon farts on you.

What the fuck.
>>
Been enjoying reading through the core book and I'm interested if there are any supplemental books that you would consider to be "must haves"? I'm going to read through the Demon Lord's Companion books next since those seem to be very well received.
>>
>>80269832
The DLC books, Occult Philosophy, and Uncertain Faith for sure. You can't go wrong with any of the Paths of Shadow titles besides Paths of Science. Even it has cool ideas, just executed badly.
>>
>Seasoned lvl10 character
>Still needs to roll for Insanity checks upon seeing a generic Zombie despite being able to effortlessly mow it down
This might be my biggest gripe about the system.
>>
>>80270804
Just have your DM hand-wave it away. It would be cool to have a "emotional hardening system" but I feel that it's more of a roleplay thing than something that needs to be cemented in gameplay.
>>
>>80270031
>has cool ideas, just executed badly.
Ra Press in a nutshell
>>
>>80270804
I've always just had bracketed adaptation for low-level frightening/horrifying monsters. Once you hit Expert you don't worry about Animated Corpses or Zombies unless there's actually just like two mobs of them, for example, unless it's actually just a character's first time dealing with the undead. Once you've seen something enough you just kind of stop caring. It's pretty easy to intuit.
I do agree though, something like that should probably be codified or something.
>>
>>80264585
Don't hold your breath on stories, it will be short fornightly sessions to work around our respective obligations with work and children. But once we get there I'll post.

>>80268142
The shit/piss thing needs context. This is a horror game and disgust is one of the cards being played, just like with the bursting eye balls and filling enemies with maggots that you will find as well.

Robert Schwalb is currently working on a game called Shadow of the Weird Wizard that uses the same system but moves away from the horror and dark fantasy content and art. It's a deliberate move to expand his audience to those who find the horror content distasteful.
>>
>>80271471
Well, I can't wait to hear it either way. I love hearing what my mushie babies get up to.

And it's not just a horror game, it's a silly game too. There is a lot of dumb stuff in there. Schwalb is hardly a serious man and he's got puerile sense of humour.
>>
>>80241689
>What is your favorite spell
For me, it's Epiphany.
>>
When it comes to elemental damage, do all damaging spells from the fire tradition cause fire damage? What water with cold? It doesnt seem clear in the book
>>
>>80274584
I think it's based on GM interpretation and common sense, so fire spells cause fire damage. Not too sure about all water spells dealing cold considering not all of it is ice damage.
>>
POO POO MAGIC
O
O

P
O
O
>>
>>80274875
>Not too sure about all water spells dealing cold considering not all of it is ice damage.
I mean ice spells.
>>
File: Take the Demon Lord pill.png (7.11 MB, 2529x1626)
7.11 MB
7.11 MB PNG
Is the influence of the shadow of the Demon Lord really a bad thing? They say the Demon Lord will consume everything, but who says that? The cult of the New God? Do you even know who is behind the New God? The fucking Devil. The greatest religious order in Rûl, which actively fights the shadow of the Demon Lord, is ruled by the Devil. Do you really think the Devil doesn't have vested interestests in fighting the Demon Lord? By the way, do you even know what the Devil is? A corrupted faerie. Everyone knows regular faerie are wicked creatures that cannot be trusted. So only the utmost retard would believe anything a corrupted faerie says. The truth is that the Demon Lord is actually the true God and creator of everything. Why would God consume us if he created us? The creator naturally desires his creation to thrive. His real goal is to bring creation closer to him, for straying away from our creator only resulted in depravity, degeneracy and suffering.
Don't trust devils. Don't trust faeries. Take the Demon Lord pill.
>>
New to the system and am reading through the rules now.
When the players guide says:
>If the total of your roll is 0 or less
Does that means a player roles a 0 or a negative on a D20? Is this only possible with a negative ability modifier or a bane?
>>
>>80276007
Yeah. It's pretty uncommon.
>>
>>80241689
>TQ
Got to be Bewilder from TB.
>>
>>80276320
Neat, I hadn't really looked at it before. I like that it interacts with insanity as well.
>>
>>80276007
>Does that means a player roles a 0 or a negative on a D20?
It's the total of the d20 roll including any banes + negative modifiers. It's impossible to roll a 0 on a d20 since the lowest number should be 1.
>Is this only possible with a negative ability modifier or a bane?
Yes.
>>
Does it feel good as a martial to only attack once on a single target and adding a puny 1d6? And then for some reason being able to attack a 2nd target with another attack. It looks like it would be very unsatisfying and contrived.
>>
>>80277374
Martials are pretty awesome in this game.
>>
>>80277374
Martials get something in the ball park of 9 different types of attacks before even touching a Path, including a generic, "I attack the thing," so I'm not sure what else you're looking for, especially when some Path abilities grant extra Triggered Action attacks as well.
>>
>>80277374
>>80278425
And to add, just look at the Warrior Novice path. At lvl8, the thing gives you up to 3 attacks against different targets that all deal +1d6dmg (+1d6dmg again on a "Crit"), or +3d6dmg against a single target (again, +1d6dmg more on "Crit"), while every attack you make gets +1Boon, so you have better odds of hitting with them. We haven't even touched whatever weapon we happen to be using, or what benefits out Expert/Master path has yet, this is just your Novice path benefits.
>>
>>80276360
The confusion table is just such fun.
>>
All this talk of shit makes me wonder, can you build a PC around it, or is it all just monsters and demons?

Hateful Defecation is a spell, but is there anything else on the player side?
>>
>>80280025
Just that spell and the Filth Mage Master Path from Paths of Horror.
>>
>>80280122
Where are people getting a shit fetish with the game if there's only two options for it in the entire system?
>>
>>80280237
Because Goblins, Ogres, and Troglodytes are gross, basically.
>>
>>80280237
There are other mentions of it littered throughout the game. There is a type of potion in the Demon Lord's Compendium that is basically fermented shit you drink to heal damage, but it's a rare concoction where it seems done for laughs more than anything. There is no real, "fetish" aspect in the game outside of coomers who can't disassociate anything strange without resorting to thinking about beating off. Those people also clearly never took care of a newborn before, because the idea of poo being this otherworldly horror is actually really funny.
>>
>>80280433
Oh no, a potion based on real world "medical" practices. What a massive fetish he must have. People are idiots.
>>
>>80280433
So you're saying that my dreams of fulfilling my shit fetish with this game are dashed before I can even begin?
>>
>>80280502
Drinking shit was never a medical practice. You're thinking of rubbing shit on wounds.
>>
>>80281940
You could just Google all flower water and get the answer, you know.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_omnium_florum
>>
I got this alt character sheet from the last thread. Does anyone have any other alternatives? This one is better than the one from the book but this one has some weird choices like Health/Damage being on the second page.
>>
>Rank 1 Storm spell Saint Astrid's Flame
Is this a reference to something related to the theme of storm spells or why is it there? Sounds something like a priest ability.
>>
>>80283377
It's a reference to St. Elmo's fire
>>
>>80241689
Is there a problem with the Simulacra data decryption key?
>>
>>80282209
>.m
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>80283500
Did you delete the default library after installing the files?
>>
>>80283442
thanks
>>
Suppose a character goes mad and rolls 10 (Violence). Overwhelmed by hatred, he must take a fast turn to attack the nearest creature. Can he use any attack option he has? Or does he need to go apeshit and normal attack with whatever he has in hand? The former makes more sense to me, but it would allow him to do things like using a driving attack, increasing the chance that whoever he attacked last round would still be the nearest creature in the next round.
>>
>>80286988
Any attack, including attack spells. But as the GM you can limit it to what you think makes sense.
>>
>>80287370
I'm not the GM, but I'm thinking about picking Zealot as my master path. So I'm wondering how can I mitigate the effects of madness.
>>
>>80277374
There are some melee attack options, but there's only 5 of them by default. Here's some homebrew ones that I basically ripped off PunkApoc:
>Blinding Attack: You make the attack roll with 2 banes. On a success, the target must make an Agility challenge roll. On a failure, the target becomes blinded for 1 round.
>Called Attack: You attack a specific location on the target’s body, make the attack roll with 2 banes. You can use this option only if the target has a physical body. On a success, the attack has an additional effect as determined by the GM. Attacking a creature’s eyes might impose 1 bane on all rolls the target makes that rely on sight, for example.
>Dazing Attack: You make the attack roll with 2 banes. On a success, the target must make a Strength challenge roll. On a failure, the target becomes dazed for 1 round.
>Hindering Attack: You make the attack roll with 1 bane. On a success, if the target is your Size or smaller, it must make an Agility challenge roll. On a failure, the target becomes slowed for 1 round.
>Impairing Attack: You make the attack roll with 2 banes. On a success, the target must make a Strength challenge roll. On a failure, the target becomes impaired for 1 round.
>Quick Attack: You make the attack roll with 2 banes. The target cannot use triggered actions to react to the attack.
>>
>>80286988
Yes, any attack option including ranged attacks, modified attacks and attack spells are valid.
>>
>>80285606
Oh that wasn't the problem, I was having issues getting into the mega. After copy-pasting the /[stuff] section of the link a few times it let me in.
>>
What books should I read for more weapon and armor options for loot?
>>
>>80289690
I don't like the idea of any character being able to impose a lot of afflictions. I would allow just the Impairing Attack.
>>
>>80291451
DLC1, Insupposable Instruments, and the Freeport Companion for mundane stuff. If you want magic item examples.

>ENCHANTED OBJECT TABLES
>Sourcebooks
Shadow of the Demon Lord, Exquisite Agony, Terrible Beauty, The Hunger in the Void
>Legacy of Shadow
Black Sun Dawn

>RELICS
>Sourcebooks
Shadow of the Demon Lord, Demon Lord's Companion, A Glorious Death, Exquisite Agony, Freeport Companion, Terrible Beauty, The Hunger in the Void, Tombs of the Desolation, Uncertain Faith
>Novice Adventures
Blood Will Run, Necessary Sacrifices, The Knife in Your Hand
>Expert Adventures
Call of the Necromancer, The Flute of Farewell, Wretched
>Master Adventuers
Heart of Winter, Oblivion's Edge, The Man Who Fell to Urth
>Campaigns
Tales of the Demon Lord, Tales of the Desolation, Tale of the Pirate Isles, Death in Freeport, Madness in Freeport
>Lands in Shadow
Nessus: CIty of Decay, Kingdom of Skulls, Kingdom of God
>Legacy of Shadow
Black Sun Dawn, Men of Gog
>Monstrous Pages
Unholy Champions of the Demon Lord
>Vault of the Demon Lord
The Vault Opens, An Accursed Trio
>>
I had a quick session a few days ago with a 4 player level 1 group(due to people arriving late or having to leave early it was only 3 at the same time)
They were continuing their chase of the Bonesmith from his workshop at night in Blood will run.
One of the players had a trained dog which he used to catch the elf's leg after it teleported away. This sadly ended with the dogs quick death, but they could catch up to it.
Two rogues and a priest(old faith), they started getting some hits in to the elf but they also got some. The first was the dog's owner, almost got KO'd in one hit. Since the player had to go, he decided to grab his dog's body and flee. I allowed, it seemed logical that his character runs away in fear.
The other rogue was already injured, so he went down next, only saved from the Goreblade sending him to Hell by the priest's death ward spell.
Then the last player, a storm magician arrived to see the priest being instantly killed by a brutalizing stab to the throat. He almost ended the same, with the first strike hitting him for 12 out of 13 HP, but he could decapitate the elf with a high roll on his turn.

Now I don't really know what to do with the dead player, they tried to use the healing holy finger bone from Dark Deeds to resurrect her, but I decided against it being so easy, it had no effect as it is a minor "relic" I think.
I was thinking that maybe another priest of the old faith arrives and tells about the beastmen camp that's the other half of Blood Will run, but they sort of missed it by going straight for the elf instantly.
>>
>>80281940
Smearing cow dung on yourself and drinking cow urine is literally recommended by Indian government officials up to the Prime Minister.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-16/india-covid-19-cow-dung-fake-remedies-alternative-medicine/100132838
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9764889/Two-men-arrested-India-saying-cow-urine-dung-NOT-cure-Covid-19.html

>>80292089
I'm pretty sure I can discern Saprophican anon reliably at this point by his encyclopaedic, comprehensive and helpful posts.

>>80293394
I don't have advice, but thanks for the story.
>>
>>80293394
Tell them to roll a new character, at least long enough for the players to find a McGuffin to bring the original one back to life.
>>
>>80295648
Yeah, that seems to be an option, be they want to play a similar priestess character with life spells.
I think I'll let her return as revenant for now(also as plot device/hook for later planned parts of my campaign) and they'll also be able to revert her to living later if they go for it.
>>
>>80291733
The ones from PunkApoc are more powerful, they don't allow any challenge roll of any sort and work on hit although I haven't ever run that system in particular so I have no idea how powerful they are over there.
>>
>>80295018
I barely post anything that I haven't already written out before.
>>
I absolutely love the takedown option for assassin rogues with the strength saving throw. Something I was really annoyed about in 5e d&d that you seemingly couldn't do any stealth takedowns, this is a nice way to do it. I assume the idea is that smaller creatures will have worse str scores so you'll more often be able to do it, where as bigger monsters will have higher str scores and thus less likely to be killed in one hit, makes sense.
>>
>>80301288
I think RAW, it's easy to take down big creatures as well since being surprised means a creature fails all challenge rolls. It really depends on a character's perception.
>>
>>80303875
Assassinate triggers from you being hidden or them being surprised. Bigger and stronger things are much harder to take out if they're not surprised.
>>
Is there a compilation of all faiths and associated traditions somewhere?
>>
File: religious traditions.png (1.15 MB, 982x888)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
>>80307535
yeah, in called to serve
>>
>>80307782
There's also the Radiant One (City of Decay) and the Spider Queen (Curse of the Spider Wood).
Both have Priest variants as well.
Radiant One traditions are Celestial, Fire, and Theurgy. Talent change is on recovery, level 1 is "for 1 round, you shine light in a 5 yard radius, impose 2 banes on attack rolls made against you" and level 8 adds "when you use Brilliant Recovery each creature within 1 yard of you that can see you must get a success on a Strength challenge roll or become blinded for 1 round"
Spider Queen traditions are Death, Demonology, and Primal and a bunch of talent differences I don't feel like retyping all of. They can turn into a spider to gain 1 boon on every attack roll, they have spiteful prayer. Also gains 1 corruption at 1, 2, 5 and 8.
>>
>>80307782
>>80307885
And there's the Cog God, with Divination, Necromancy and Technomancy. Also has a priest path.
>>
Is Uncertain Faith setting specific, or good generally?
>>
>>80310344
>setting specific
Yes, it's mostly lore about the major gods and religions in the default setting
>good generally
While there are some extra spells, relics and a novice adventure that could easily be re-fluffed, it's probably not worth getting just for those
>>
>>80308004
Priest of the devil too, in scions of the betrayer
>>
How hard is it to find people to play online? None of my friends care about tabletop.
>>
>>80311981
No harder than any other non-D&D game. Most of the people I've found have been pretty chill, the edginess is actually a pretty good retard filter
>>
>>80311981
Join the discord. I had no trouble at all finding players even for my half baked shitty campaign
>>
>>80241689
Good ruleset, terrible lore, obnoxious author with politically pozzed assistants and an obsession with shit. I really wish someone who wasn't Robert had thought of this "5e but better" system first.
>>
So the DC is always 10 on challenge rolls? How do you adjust the difficulty then depending on how tough the challenge is? Do you just tell them to roll more boons if harder or?
>>
>>80316548
If only there was a way to use just the rules system without the lore.
>>80316807
No, you roll with more banes as task get harder.
>>
>>80316944
yeah i meant banes, my bad, gotcha.
>>
File: rolling.png (183 KB, 271x379)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>80316807
>>80316944
You roll with more banes, and you can add an additional flat penalty on top of it. The TN is still 10, but it'd be something like d20-(bane)-2.
It's essentially the same thing as setting the TN to 12, but without actually doing it.
>>
>>80317670
Nothing ever does it but stats though.
>>
>>80317775
Because the game is balanced around DC10, and if you want that thing to be harder, there is literally a rule that stats adding/subtracting for additional difficulty is up the the GM. If you want a laundry list of DC's based on mundane variations in difficulty, you aren't getting it, because the game expects you to be able to run two neurons together and figure it out for yourself.
>>
>>80318974
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, anon?
>>
>>80319150
No, why?
>>
>>80319646
based anon just knows that adding a bane basically changes the DC from 11 to 16, or on average to 13.5. and then you add more banes for a higher average.

BUT you could also decide there is a static penalty - there are simply no handholds on a sheer surface, so you say -10 to the roll, instead of adding any banes. a harsh example, but still.
>>
>>80310344
You can always rip some of the priest variant talents to mismatch to make your own priest novice paths that work for the deities/religions of your own setting, although some of the Shadow setting ones in the book presented are generic enough. As >>80310646 points out, it's probably not worth buying if you're not interested in running the default setting, just download the book off the trove and pick apart what you need for your own games.
>>
>>80289690
Some options are way better than others. Why would you ever make an Impairing Attack instead of a Dazing Attack?
>>
>>80323902
There's a bunch of creatures that are immune to the dazed condition, while most creatures aren't immune to impaired.
>>
>>80324161
I guess but still, outside of immunities Dazing Attack is simply the better option. I don't like that there is no meaningful choice to make between those two attacks, it's just marking off immunity checkboxes.
Maybe an extra bane on Dazing would help, but I'd probably just remove that one if I were to use them.
>>
>>80275760
No
>>
>>80243683
There's a SotDL compendium in the searchable compendiums in the manager. I haven't tried it, but it's there.
>>
>>80243683
supposedly an official sotdl foundry addon/module with compedium is being made
I am not sure about the release date
>>
>>80307782
>>80307885
>>80308004
>>80310798
That's the problem, there are religions scattered throughout several splats. I was wondering if there was fan made compilation, like that spreadsheet with all paths and ancestries.
>>
Bros, what does the Yareth queen look like? She should be very powerful because she can grant her clergy access to life, earth, and battle magic, and the Yareths look upon her as a god. My party is meeting her next session and I don't know what she'll look like.
>>
>>80333915
Not really a problem though.
>>
>>80333985
big mommy milkers
but actually shits and pisses all over the place
>>
>>80333994
It is if you're too poor to buy the books and too principled to pirate
>>
>>80334057
I still don't see how. You do not need to have all the stuff. There is far far too much content to actually be able to reasonably use even half of it.
>>
>>80333985
Just google "insect queens" (the plural is important) and take a look at them. Transpose one you like to a Yerath.
>>
>>80334009
I mean, I overheard some of the players talking like she was going to be pic related, but I want something more horror.
>>80334100
Holy shit, termite queens have a fat ass.
>>
>>80334166
I don't know why a bug person queen would look just like a person because they're a queen.
>>
File: 3992518678_4f721d9eb0_b.jpg (172 KB, 1024x640)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>80333985
I made mines huge monstrosities based on the Cartul Queen from the Tales of the Demon Lord campaign.
>>
>>80333994
Maybe not for you, but some may consider it a problem. Anyway, it would certainly be convenient if such a compilation existed.
>>
>>80334545
There isn't a logical reason to consider it a problem. The religions are where they are because that's where information is.
>>
>>80334191
Yeah, but I feel like my players would be disappointed if I don't add something like that. I think what I'll do is like an angler fish style uncanny humanoid figure (with mommy milkers) that's hiding a huge termite queen looking like >>80334223 in the background. I think that would be cool, disgusting, and horror if the figure was made from decaying Yareth exoskeletons too.
>>
>>80333985
This is yet another mystery abouth the yareth. They're definitely up to something. Don't trust them.
>>
>>80334747
What are some big Yareth mysteries?
>>
>>80334823
That anon just doesn't like bugs. They've done this "the Yerathi are evil because reasons" thing before and can't actually back it up with anything substantial. It's only the ones under Nessus that are dickheads.
>>
>>80334823
No one knows where they came from or why they're here. They're hiding something.
>>
>>80334603
>have a priest concept in mind
>want to follow a faith that resembles this concept as closely as possible
>there's no religion compilation anywhere
>have to look through several splats
You see, for me, it's a problem. And before you post another pedantic reply, I'm not demanding a compilation from Schwalb or the community. I just asked if there was one and explained why it would be useful.
>inb4 make one yourself
I may actually do it.
>>
>>80335060
What you're after is a quick reference, not an actual compilation. A compilation doesn't make sense outside of the large religions, which we have compilations for, because you need the supporting information to make sense of them.
>>
>>80335060
>>have a priest concept in mind
>>want to follow a faith that resembles this concept as closely as possible
So...just decide on which traditions best represent this faith? What else do you need for that? If you're after the specific PATHS then that's pointless, because all of the religion-specific Paths in SotDL are pretty tailor-made for that specific religion in the setting.
>>
Are there rules for bear traps anywhere or anything? Assembling some premade backup characters and one of them is ripe for having one handy. If not I figure it's a pretty simple "if something walks onto it and fails an Agility challenge roll with 2 banes, 2d6+2 damage and impaired for a minute, and immobilized until it passes a Strength challenge roll with 1 bane" case.
>>
>>80335095
And does such quick reference exist?
>>80335434
Aren't priests balanced around the fact that you can't choose traditions freely?
>>
>unarmed strike requires an off hand
Does this means you can't use quicks as unarmed strikes?
>>
>>80336762
No, it doesn't require an off-hand it's an off-hand weapon. This means it can be wielded in your main hand or your off-hand. So you can use two daggers, as they're off-hand, but not two swords, and they're one-handed and thus can only be used in your main hand. As for kicks, RAW it's a no but most GMs would let you do it unless it's some dumb cheese.
>>
>>80336805
Would you consider the following as dumb cheese?
>wields a shield and an implement
>casts Focused Strike using a kick as unarmed strike
>>
>>80336349
>Aren't priests balanced around the fact that you can't choose traditions freely?
Sort of, they're balanced around the fact that any homebrewed faiths would be made by the GM and Tradition choices being made based on what fits the lore. They are however not made for players to just pick whatever Traditions work best from a mechanical standpoint (which is what Magician is for.)
>>
>>80336349
Try the Reddit sub.
>>
Rolled 6, 14, 11, 12, 11, 10, 20, 16, 15, 2 = 117 (10d20)

alright /dleg/, i'm gonna make an mspaint rough copy of Last Hope, so that I can get started on setting up the real thing. i'll use the d20 rolls on the x's i've already marked on my map, going in counterclockwise fashion.

here we go.
>>
Rolled 2, 6, 4, 5, 5, 1, 3, 2, 4, 6 = 38 (10d6)

>>80340107
i messed up the roll - it's d6s. heh.
>>
>>80335846
I wouldn't bother looking any further, I doubt the book would improve greatly on the rule you posted.
>>
Topple the Mountain is my new favorite spell
>>
>>80329668
Do forgive the ignorance, but where can I find that? I looked around for modules and in the game system itself and couldn't find that.
>>
What exactly comes with Godless and/or Asunder, and how backwards compatible are they with the core game?
>>
>>80346670
Godless is a setting replacement meant to be used alongside the Core book. Not sure about Asunder but I think it's a standalone game
>>
Love these gish options, just the battle magic tradition makes an arcane warrior viable in a way 5e odesn't it seems to me.
>>
How many different variations on the creation story are there? I know Men of Gog has one, and Hunger in the Void has one too, I vaguely remember one that said the faeries came from nothing but can't place that to a book, are there any others?
>>
>>80241689
Where can I get this?
>>
>>80350283
See >>80241689
>>Trove Link:
>r3br@nd <dot> ly /SDL
>>
>>80346670
Asunder is very similar to SotDL mechanically. The biggest change is the magic system, which is tied to your ancestry.
A lot of the bestiary can easily be modified to work with SotDL, but I don't know if I would bother with anything else.
>>
Possibly a strange question, but this thread seems as decent a place to ask as any.
I'm looking for an image of what is basically two humans smashed together to make an eight-limbed spider creature.
My usual search avenues are turning up nothing and I'm running out of time so I'd rather not have to make it myself, but you can't win 'em all.
>>
>>80347623
You can realize a lot of gish concepts efficiently in SotDL. I'm working on an enchanter gish.
>>
>>80350283
DriveThruRPG
>>
I asked this question in a previous general thread but I never got to see any responses. But my understanding is that the Witch-King has stats in circulation somewhere. Where would I find those?
>>
>>80360208
He doesn't, so you wouldn't. Potentially will gets stats, Schwalb might make a campaign about him.
>>
>>80360208
He's probably a supped up disciple from Men of Gog if you had to stat him, but he doesn't currently have stats.
>>
>>80347623
I have a player going from Novice Magician Necromancer to Paladin, it's pretty wild.
>>
Are there some guidelines somewhere about player characters with special ancestries like Warg or Fomor?
I was thinking about making a one shot thing with evil/monster chars.
>>
>>80360208
The closest thing is the Investiture of the Witch King Spell from Occult Philosophy.
>In a nutshell
>He's big
>Extra powerful at casting Dark magic spells.
>Causes creatures that are afraid of him to fall under his command.
>Has Darksight.
>Can hurl magical green fire.
>>
What happens to the initiative of compelled foes? If a player compells an enemy creature, does it take its fast turn before other enemies? Or does the GM decides when it acts?
>>
>>80368485
How I play it, it's still an enemy unit, so it's going to go on the first enemy turn it can take unless it already took it's turn that round.
>>
>>80368485
I don't remember the exact wording of compelled etc, but I always put them between PC and enemy fast turns.
>>
>>80365454
What do you mean by guidelines?
>>
bump
>>
>>80370738
I remember reading somewhere that they are not balanced as normal ancestries and the usual difficulty "rules" don't apply the same. But I may be wrong about this.
>>
>>80373895
Took me a while to find it, but it's in Hunger in the Void.
>>
Are there rules for attacking oneself?
>>
>>80373895
That's right, because the monster ancestries are primarily there for the GM to design custom enemies. They're not balanced at all. Fomors are weak as shit while stuff like bugbears and ogres are insanely strong.
If it's only a one-shot and your players are cool I wouldn't worry too much about it, but you'll have to play it by ear.
>>
File: eskteskcs ggloue.png (59 KB, 181x300)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>try to run more serious, horrific homebrew oneshot mostly aligned with the as-written setting to introduce some players to the system
>thought I did a pretty decent job establishing tone with my intro and brief pitch
>players spend 5 hours fucking around with NPCs for the most part, somehow without even attempting to gain relevant information from them
>got in a couple fights that kind of took too damn long because people are stumbling out of old systems
>stuff like getting wasted at the apocalypse-town bar which had been taken over by the bad guys, who were all too eager to indulge them so they'd be easier pickings
>just "this is fine"ing through a town 80% encased in spiderwebs, legions of spiders hiding just at the corners of their vision, and desiccated spiderfood corpses littering the streets with some dude doing a very bad job of lying to them about "hey come check out this dope bar yeah we've got uhhh a bit of a spider problem but it's under control"
>basically just scratching the crust of the actual central conflict by the time we have to wrap things up, by the grace of the yes/no questions enabled by Forbidden Knowledge and the fallout of the bar trap
>my oneshot is not a oneshot anymore
I am not very good at this. "I should have a variety of encounters including some social situations" is a trap. I thought they'd just be variety speedbumps before things really come to a head, but noooo.
>>
>>80376590
If they want to keep playing that's ultimately a success. However,
>players spend 5 hours fucking around with NPCs for the most part
is at least partially on you. Sometimes you just need to have a man (or spider) come through the door with a gun in his hand
>>
>>80376870
That's actually exactly what I did, after a while, while one of them broke off to go check out the bathroom (only guy actually playing cautiously and remaining sober) and see if there was like a million spiders in it or whatever, I basically just made them all make a strength challenge roll vs being impaired due to drunkenness and the magician looked up from his drink at the bartender and had a rifle to his forehead as the spider nutjobs and compromised guards burst through the front and back doors and they were declared spider food.
It was mostly just getting them there that took so long-feeling, I think. 5 hours is a bit of an embellishment for sure but it was definitely at least 2 hours messing around with booger-brained NPCs full of spiders, or people intent on filling the world with spiders, and basically just walking facefirst into traps. "I stick my face in the crate of food coming out of the town we'd heard all this nasty shit about" "You feel a hand on the back of your head shoving you further into the crate. The food falls apart into a million million spider eggs, hatching and crawling into your mouth and up your nose. You are impaired, grabbed, and also gain 1 Insanity sucka."
Kind of think I'm being too soft on them but I made the earliest possible stuff they could find pretty easy. They're level 4 and basically just beating up on brigand/veteran/cultist statblocks, with a spider swarm that burst out of some dude's guts, since I wanted to not only get a feel for the party but also let the new guys get used to things.

They walked out of the bar scene with a rifle, information leading them towards the dungeon crawl bit, and a friendly NPC who's in the process of being eaten from the inside out by spiders that'll eventually take over his brain, but they also found the chew-hole on his back while checking him for injuries and had him drink a shitheap of booze to try to kill the spiders with alcohol. Not sure if I want it to stick or not.
>>
>>80374053
Like, if you wanna stab yourself, do you automatically succceed?
>>
>>80374053
I just finished running a game and one of my player characters killed himself (I ran a time loop dream puzzel session where the players were TPKd like 6 or 7 times). The character literally threw himself onto his sword, so I just let him kill himself. Straight to death saving rolls.
>>
I'm just getting into SotDL. I am loving it by what i've read so far. I enjoy playing magic users.

How does one build a good mage in this game? Are there trap options?
>>
>>80380561
You just take Magician 2-4 Traditions that you like the look of between levels 1 and 2, take an Expert Path that looks like it'll be good and fun, same deal with the Master Path, and that's about it. No real trap options outside of discovering Traditions at higher levels, but even then that's not always a bad idea. You can focus on basically any combo of two stats you like, just make sure you're not picking spells that key of a stat you're terrible in. Choose spells that look like they're be useful for your campaign too. Basically that simple.
>>
>>80380561
I would say, just don't spread out your traditions too thin. I would focus on 2 max if you are a specialized magician, and three if you are a baseline magician.
>>
>>80380615
Well, that was simple and straightfoward. Thanks friend.
>>
>>80380631
Any tradition that really shines? Or is a must? I don't wanna be better than a martial at combat like D&D or something like that, but I just don't want to feel useless during battle.
>>
>>80380653
All of them are super solid, none of the are required. It really is just a matter of what you want to be doing. Just take a few that seem fun to you and you'll be fine, really hard to go wrong, so long as you pick spells that look good and don't rely on a stat that you're shit at you'll be fine.

As for that last bit without getting too into Martials are tankier, more survivable, harder hitting, get better access to boons (SotDL's better take on 5e's advantatge), their utility is often longer lasting stuff, and they have a load of very valuable actions from the get go. Casters are far squishier, while their damage isn't always as good they get a lot of AoE or multitarget attacks, they get more access to affliction application, you have a lot more versatility and utility but your lack of boons means banes hit you way harder than a martial. Spells also target attributes rather than Defence so you've got more to think about there, but attributes are lower than Def typically which helps offset the lack of boons.

Casters also have to specialise, you'll pretty much never want more than 4 traditions (On a Magician, 4 on Rogues/Priest isn't even doable really, they'll be at 2 or 1 more often than not) so you'll never have access to all the spells that solve all the problems, you also don't get a lot of spells in general either so there is another limit there. You can make a caster that beats a martial at the things they are good at but you'll do it with limited resources, and you'll have to give up a lot of utility and specialise hard so there is a trade-off, and even then they won't be able to beat a martial at everything a martial is doing.
>>
>>80380653
Nah, depends on what you want to do. All of them are pretty good. Dark traditions can actively fuck you with corruption though. Also, watch out for destruction tradition because it could be very hard on a low health character.
>>
>>80380739
Thanks. That helps a lot. And I love that design philosopy. I certainly don't want to be better at killing stuff than the dude that carries a big fucking swords. Just don't want to be useless. Your answer has eased my concerns.
>>
Also, new to the system here, but how many encounters do a party has during an adventuring day?

One of the things I hate about 5e is the 6 to 8 encounters per long rest. Aint nobody got time foe that. How is SotDL in that regard?
>>
File: Tables1.png (223 KB, 890x347)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>80381200
There are tables for difficulty per encounter and difficulty per day in the book, which I've attached. Should give you a good idea of what to expect .Sometimes it's just 1, never likely to be more than 4
>>
>>80381200
I usually have one combat encounter and one social/puzzle encounter. My party is at lower levels and one combat encounter usually puts them out of commission for the next couple days. For the first 8 sessions, they were never fully healed because they kept getting into combats and they just kept going unconscious over and over.
>>
>>80373995
Thanks, I know that. I was more interested if there is something about what the other anon said >>80375537

Also
>always forget that base fomors are little wimps with craven and pack fighting
>had 2 of them give chase with fast turns to 3 PCs last session and capture one
although I could say that all the players were 2-3 damage from going down
>>
>>80380746
Counter point: corruption isn't so much of a big deal, and learning dark spells make you less likely to gain insanity (which is more troublesome than corruption).
>>
>>80381559
They're lucky to survive if they're going unconscious in every fight
>>
>When a creature in your reach willingly moves out of your reach, you can use a triggered action to make an attack against that creature using a melee weapon you are wielding
If a creature moves due to the effect of spell such as Bewitch, does it trigger free attacks?
>>
>>80385201
>willingly
Probably not rules as written
>>
>>80383951
Absolutely. They have gotten through so far by the skin of their teeth
>>
>>80385201
>Make an Intellect attack roll against the target’s Intellect. On a success, the target is moved up to its Speed.

doesn't sound like it's willing to me
>>
File: Obedience Skin.png (1.15 MB, 634x868)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
Time for some new clothes.
>>
>>80391969
Isn't this just a BDSM suit? The baby making sex between the Witch King and the Dark Lady must've been hot
>>
>>80391969
Nah, I'm pretty far from OK.
>>
>>80385201
That's up for interpretation. The "willingly" is there to make things simple, but the idea is that you trigger free attacks if you turn your back and move away, thus lowering your guard. If you're moved unwillingly, (e.g., due to a driving attack or a spell that pushes you), you don't trigger free attacks because the pusher gets in the way or you're moved without turning your back. Now, when it comes to a spell like Bewitch, it gets trickier. You do get moved against your will, but, since it's an enchantment spell, you could assume that your body is being momentarily controlled, making you turn your back and move instead of being pushed. Thus, you would trigger free attacks.
The real question is: does the spell get to good for its rank if it can be used to trigger free attacks?
>>
>>80398589
this is some serious overthinking - the spell is what is moving them, they are not moving themselves, it's as easy as that.
>>
>>80380782
Well "better" is relative. You can easily get to the point where you can do more damage in a single attack. You probably won't be able to do that attack often though, and it might require more setup to achieve than a martial.
>>
>>80400640
That is one valid interpretation, yes.
>>
>>80260704
My three players have made a Taprobani (ancient sri-lankan), Dumuzite (ancient near-eastern) and Cipactli (gator-man).

Gator-man's player is a solid guy. Enthusuastic and attentive whenever we play, keeps a good pace, roleplays well enough, always brings snacks or chips in for pizza, never opens a rulebook but will learn enough to not slow play. He does have an odd quirk for names though.

His gator-man is named Bonk. He has played an Elf named Grin Ragekind, a toroiseman man named Yurtle, and a starship captain named San Holo, captain of the Fillenium Malcon.
>>
I'm gonna play a Sylph with Storm, Celestial and Battle, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>80407789
>not going the full mile and playing a sylph spellguard with Storm, Celestial and Battle
>>
File: Typical bloody elf.jpg (105 KB, 479x824)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Elves, not even once
>>
Roll20 Bestiary-anon if you read this: What tool did you use for creating the token pictures?
>>
>>80411120
https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/
>>
>>80412470
thanks!
>>
>>80407789
>>80410905
>sylphs are more like stereotypical fantasy elves than actual sotdl elves
What did Schwalb mean by this?
>>
So I'm doing some re-reading after just kind of accepting "have players who want to play a gish use adept instead of spellguard because SG is OP and breaks the action economy over its knee," and what exactly is nutty about Spellguard that isn't nutty about Adept?
Spellguard Strike is not as good as Exploit Opportunity is. While it's true that a Rogue wouldn't get to use Trickery on a second attack (before level 5), a Spellguard wouldn't get a whole second turn complete with movement whenever they want it. Rogues can also still get magic access. The second point of power is a little later, but you can still do the same things with it.

Spellguard Expertise is a potential problem causer if you're not careful with how you read it, but not by itself, because Adept has essentially the same thing. The key phrasing is "when you use an action to attack with a weapon." When you cast a Battle spell or whatever, you're using an action to Cast a Spell, not attack with a weapon. So it doesn't cascade endlessly off that. It's a technicality, but the action isn't spent on attacking with a weapon, it's just a product of casting the spell.

Even at 8, with Spellguard Mastery, if you make an attack against a different target yadda yadda, that isn't using an action to do it. You use an action (which is then expended) to attack with the weapon, and then get a freebie, which doesn't use an action.

There's even still a case to take Adept over Spellguard, because Potent Spellcasting fucking owns and SG has no way to impose banes on things like Fire Blast or whatever other AoE. It's unconditional and pretty huge. Enemies passing raw challenge rolls happens all the time, but a single bane makes it so much more likely to stick. Also 4 hp/tier.

Is there some other thing I'm missing? It's no Sylph or Order-tradition Clockwork.
>>
>>80416663
You're comparing individual talents of Spellguard, Adept and Rogue, but you're failing to realize Spellguard gets the best of the later two. It gets a nerfed Exploit Opportunity and a better Spell Fighting, so you're looking at potentially 1 weapon attack + 2 spell attacks, all of which can benefit from Weapon Training (which it also gets) depending on your spells. It also gets the same number of spells as Adept. Furthermore, both Spellguard Strike and Spellguard Expertise have the option of deal extra damage if you're out of spells. It's like the best of Rogue, Adept and Warrior combined into a single novice path.
>>
>>80417044
Spellguard Expertise is definitely just 100% better than Spell Fighting, I'll give you.
Nerfed Exploit Opportunity isn't really all that fucked up. It requires a triggered action and you only get one of those per turn. Spellguard Strike on its own is a cool thing to have, in my opinion, and I don't really think it's all that fucked up.

Relative to Adept's Potent Spellcasting, which gives a boon to hit/bane to resist on everything, Spellguard's Weapon Training obviously only works on things with weapon attacks. Imposing banes on challenge rolls is just super powerful in my experience. Spellguard also only gets one tradition and can't learn another with its opening choices. I think both of those are actually pretty major. Battle Spellguard is kind of way too obvious though as the thing to do though, for sure. It's an unfortunately linear choice.

Ultimately though I'm just kind of disappointed in Adept's martial side and trying to justify Spellguard since both halves of the gish sandwich are together as soon as you're level 1. Adept kind of has the no boons to weapon attacks problem that cuts attack options out, and those are fun. There's limited ways to get consistent boons to weapon attacks from magic, but they're kind of few and far between and not always on flavor. Though I suppose there's always just shutting up and taking Spellbinder.

Spellguard Expertise is only ever one of its halves at a time. I do have to wonder if it shouldn't have been 1d3 or cast a spell, though. But Idunno.

I feel like the ultimate homebrew middle ground would be some kind of Adept Talents subfeature at 2 and 5 or 8 with a handful of choices. Weapon Training, upgrade Spell Combat to Spellguard Expertise, learn 1-2 spells, etc. But I don't think Adept really -needs- all that much more because Potent Spellcasting is just so good. I love it. I loved being able to pay damage and cast Clear The Path and actually have it stick.
>>
I think Spellguard is only bad if you take Battle spells.
>>
I'm recollecting some of my books, is there any difference between the info in the 2019 version of the main book and the Player's Guide?
>>
Do worn clothing and jewelry count against your carry capacity?

The rules say they they weight 1 but it isn't clear to me if this is meant to be their weight when carried and/or when worn.
>>
Thoughts on World-Breaker? Suicidal idiot path that's never gonna live, or pretty solid? What are your favorite Chaos spells?
>>
>>80422205
Carrying isn't based on weight.

Check out pages 99-100 of core book, you can carry one item per point of strength with bulky or elaborate clothing counted as 2.

However, a small or medium container and all the stuff it contains only counts as 1 for the lot.
>>
>>80423850
I understand that but do the clothing you are wearing count against your strength rating or is it only clothing you are carrying?
>>
>>80424155
Is there any expert path (besides Sorcerer) that allows you to impose banes on challenge rolls (either directly imposing or through afflictions) to resist spells? Bonus points if it doens't require a triggered action or if it lasts for more than 1 round.
>>
>>80424728
Spellslinger in Occult Philosophy, but it's at 6. It gets to cast utility spells as triggered actions at 3 though so that's an avenue for getting some combos going. Of note is that Spiritualism has Frightful Spirit as a level 0 spell, which no-save "frightens" things in an AoE for 1 round.
Adept has Potent Casting as well, but it's at Novice. Right adjacent to Adept in Forbidden Rules is an alt-rule for Magician where they get Potent Casting in exchange for Cantrip.
>>
>>80275760
Well, the devil has reason to oppose the demon lord as he wants to rule the world as it's only God and the Demon lord consuming it is counter to this goal.
He is a dick but he can be convinced to help protect the world as can be almost everyone as most people want to be able to exist if only to keep doing horrible things to their fellow man.
>>
>>80417687
While I normally shy away from Ra Press, their spellguard takes actually inspired me a bit while I'm trying to homebrew on the spellguard for my own game.

Their striker was essentially what I was planning on doing for Adept (adding a second spell at lvl 2 & giving a weapon boon) while their defensive variant (if one swaps the lvl1 & lvl2 features) maps pretty well to Spellguard. Though I'm still looking to keep a bit more of the Warrior identity intact.

Your thought of separating out these features as talents to be taken at certain levels though definitely got me thinking over how I could unify it all into one somewhat neat package. I like your thinking
>>
>>80424155
I think your collective clothing and apparel takes up one point of your strength rating.
>>
>>80381242
how many players does this assume? What if you plan to split the group up?
>>
>>80428453
I think 3-5, generally. Don't quote me on that.
>>
>>80428714
Correct, 3-5. Half difficulty with fewer than three players or +50% difficulty for over 5 players.
>>
Currently brainstorming a pseudo West March style game, but want to know if there is a way to lower Insanity/Corruption in any way, and if anyone else has attempted it, what pitfalls with the system might I have to work around?
>>
>>80431099
Level 1 Life magic can reduce Insanity.
Unhinge the Mind has alternate Insanity rules including racking it up and burning it off faster with time and rests. Also long-term madness. Both seem better fits for a West Marches style game where characters can just drop in and out freely. One guy shows up and has a really fucking bad day and goes mad? Yup, it happens. And instead of like 3-4 rounds of clawing at his skin before he feels ok, it fucks with his brain indefinitely.

Corruption, however, is very hard to burn off, and is basically DM fiat "have you donated to enough orphanages lately" stuff. It's kind of why I dislike monsters that just apply corruption to PCs on hit. It's an interesting idea but I think the execution of it kind of sucks, and I usually just skip over it.
>>
>>80431099
Sorry, I worded this whole thing really poorly and didn't explain shit.
Also, to clarify, there's no experience system in this game, so you're going to need your own rules for characters leveling up, since experience points are a major driving factor for West Marches style play. You might consider lifting PF2E's experience system. I've run it before, it works out pretty decently. Milestone/one-level-per-adventure just doesn't really feel right for West Marches.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=574
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=497

Experience from encounters, be they combat or hazards or whatever you want, is determined by their level relative to the party as opposed to a hardcoded value on a monster/trap statblock. It's also determined by the Encounter threat level, a system SotDL also has, rather than the individuals making up the encounter. So you can just use the values for low/moderate/severe/extreme and apply them to SotDL's easy/average/challenging/hard encounter difficulty budgets.

Works out pretty well.
>>
>>80423201
Too much dice rolling
>>
I've been reading through the base book and companion's and I noticed that while the power scaling for spells can go up to 10, there are not any spells that go past 6 (I think) in those three books. Generally are the higher power slots just for upcasting spells, or are there very high power spells that exist in some of the supplemental material?
>>
>>80433649
Player characters can't typically go above 5 power. If you play beyond 10, it can get up there. Those spells exist for NPCs and for very rare incantations.
>>
>>80433649
That tables goes to Power 10 because Schwalb knew he wanted to make higher ranked spells, higher Power enemies, and give GMs the freedom to do that stuff too. So it's just a lot of future proofing, and the future is now. Schwalb loves magic and SotDL has a lot of it, there are 12 additional traditions outside of the core book, see attached for where to find those, and he also made a ludicrously massive magical source book entitled Occult Philospohy. That adds 800 new spells split across the 42 Traditions, which basically doubles the existing amount of spells for everything (SotDL has ~1500 spells now) and pushes a lot of Traditions into territory that wasn't covered like giving Teleportation, which is solely utility in core, a load of really unique and thematic attack spells. What it also does is give every single Tradition spells Rank 6-10. Those things get really insane too, like the Rank 10 Earth spell Crack the World creates a 6 mile long, half mile wide and deep crevasse wherever you point. Rank 6+ stuff isn't really used the same way though, much rarer and won't likely be learned at all by PCs. Typically they'll be incantations or on relics and be massive rewards, if you hand them out at all
>>
>>80433681
I hadn't even looked at Occult Philosophy, that's definitely the next tome of knowledge I crack into. Hearing that spells beyond 5 are primarily massive rewards or for uber-powerful NPCs is great for putting a cap on the players, so that makes me more excited for creating some cool boss style enemies for higher level characters. Thanks for the info >>80433674
>>
>>80420303
Player's Guide is outdated, use the revised edition core book.
>>
>>80435998
Thanks, I was reviewing the info and that seemed like the correct choice.

Are the "Victims of the Demon Lord" books still perfectly fine?
>>
>>80436191
Ignore the book that is called "Victims of the Demon Lord" that's the old player guide and is super out of date. Every other book is fine though.
>>
>>80436233
Yeah I was talking about the books inside that folder, like "Ghosts in the Machine" or "Born to Kill". Seems like they're fine though.
>>
>>80419127
You can make it broken with Time and Order as well.
>>
>>80436273
Yes, everything else is fine.
>>
>>80433681
And rank 6+ spells have an awful habit of fucking killing you on a bad roll.
>>
>>80434585
Let us know which high level spells you find the most interesting, anon.
For me, it's summoning a Tank.
>>
Has anyone ever made like a Ratfolk/Scaven kinda race for Shadows?
>>
>>80437982
I'd just use Faun for it, honestly. I think I saw a 3pp one somewhere.
>>
>>80438039
Why would you recommend Faun? I was originally going to replace Goblins with them.
>>
>>80438147
Goblin would work too, but Skittish and Quick Step are pretty ratlike. Only level 4 talent I'd mess with is Nature Friend being rat only.
A middleground mix of the two would be an easy solution. Goblin attributes, Skittish, Sneaky and Darksight.
>>
>>80431465
Honestly, I don't see the value in EXP system at all. The standard, "1 Session, 1 Level" probably fits better in a Westmarch style game than D&D/Pathfinder does, especially since SoDL is a more lethal game than those. Characters who reach level 10 will be able to access harder content, giving them access to relics and other quirky items.
>>
>>80438194
That's not a bad idea, actually. Any tips for messing with the character gen sheets, maybe a mix of the two based on whats relevant.
>>
How nasty is the slowed condition? I'm new to the game and I was thiking about making a time mage to slow enemies down, but slowed enemies just have to take slow turns instead of being able to choose between fast and slot. That seems very mild for a condition.

Is it a shitty as I think it is?
>>
>>80439213
Cutting speed in half can cause you to kite enemies forever depending on what they are. Keep in mind that a slowed enemy still takes actions after a player taking a slow turns, so if there is only one guy your group is fighing, you open up a lot of flexibility in actions.
>>
>>80423201
Too little dice rolling.
>>
What is the most powerful build?
Is it possible 1v1 the dark lady or Diabulus?
>>
>>80441567
No. Not by a long shot.
>>
>>80441567
>Wanting to 1v1 main meta-antagonists
Highly unlikely, they can crank out level 10 spells and you can barely do 5s. Dark Lady and Diabulus afaik don't have stat blocks since they're stronger than the highest XP rated enemy in the game.
>>
>>80441665
Dark Lady has stats in Kingdom of Skulls
>>
>>80441665
The dark lady has a power score of 9 tho.
I'll give you that Diavolus likely has 20 is every attribute a ton of health and a power of 10.
He can be beaten by paragons.
>>
>>80441567
Wouldn't call it the most powerful build, but level 10 character who goes magician into wizard can combo Dark Lady into instant death, because she is not immune to getting insanity and going mad, and subsequently can get a fucktone of insanity from madness spells then finished off by WAKING NIGHTMARE spell coupled with AVERT FATE. Takes two power 5 spells, but it is what it is.
You'd have to survive for 2 turns, which is a problem with Dark lady, but you should have spells that save your ass from death in your grimoires as wizard anyway.
>>
>>80443057
Actually never mind whole 2 turns thing, you have to give her a total of 13 insanity, so you have to get really lucky on your Mind Shatter and Waking Nightmare d6s. But its still can be done although might take an extra turn.
>>
>>80443057
>>80443167
She can use Reverse Spell with one of her triggered actions and once it's her turn you're pretty much fucked.
>>
I spend my fast turn making the Dark Lady my wife, ending combat instantly.
>>
>>80443346
Go back to sleep, Ashrakal.
>>
>>80443057
>You'd have to survive for 2 turns
Kinda hard for a magician when she has two castings of Stop Heart plus spamming black flames. Might be better to try and get lucky with Assassinate
>>
>>80441567
>What is the most powerful build?
Naga/Rogue/Auspex/Zealot
>Is it possible 1v1 the dark lady or Diabulus?
If it has stats, it can be killed 1v1. But it would take a lot of Paragon levels.
>>
>>80442534
>He can be beaten by paragons.
Well, yeah, like everything. Paragon levels go on to infinity. You can just get more Health than atoms. He is going to kill any single reasonable character 1-on-1.
>>
Question on errata: some of the errata for paths detail new talents. Do these replace the talents in the core book or is it in addition to what they normally get? For example, the paladin's Divine Smite in core and Divine Cause in errata.
>>
>>80446282
In Paths of Battle the paladin has both talents, so I'd say they are additions. When you have to choose between talents that should also be noted somewhere (like it's done in Pursuit of Power)
>>
File: file.png (3.17 MB, 1169x1513)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB PNG
>>80446282
>>80446328
Attached is the current version of the Paladin.
>>
>>80446392
>>80446328
Ah, perfect. Thanks.
>>
How do faun get more human characteristics like human feet?
>>
>>80446840
With magic.
>>
>>80446840
They don't, not with out magic at least, but fauns don't all have animal legs anyway. They're not all goat horned and cloven hoofed. They present a range of animalistic traits. Between Two Worlds talks about it a little.
>>
>>80443346
What's her will? You might have a shot with enough boons.
>>
Is there any restrictions on the size of magical implements? I wanna know if a priest dragging the corpse of a saint or a magician lugging an engraved pillar is possible.
>>
>>80446840
by harvesting them from humans of choice, of course.
>>
I really wish I could play SotWW.
>>
>>80452095
Rumours say the magic system is pretty bad in SotWW. You may be better off playing SotDL more heroically.
>>
>>80452454
And by "Rumours" you mean one dude here jumping to conclusions and doomposting.
>>
>>80452952
Yes. I don't have access to the playtest, neither I talk to many people who have, so if one dude says it's bad and you say it's good, I can't have much confidence in either. But since you are probably the guy who always defends Schwalb and this general doesn't have dedicated haters (complaining about poop doesn't count), I'm more inclined to think the guy with a negative review has a point.
>>
>>80453427
One dude said it bad because I said it was good but different. It's just doom posting. I critique the mechanics of this game when they're bad too, just because I don't have issues with the tone content that I don't use, doesn't mean I'm just sucking his dick. Feel free to believe the dude who hasn't read the material though, it's a weird move but I can't stop you doing it.
>>
>>80453488
>Feel free to believe the dude who hasn't read the material
How do you know he hasn't?
>I can't stop you doing it
You actually can. Just, you know, tell us how the magic system works without being super vague.
>>
>>80454015
>How do you know he hasn't?
Because they said they hadn't. When then mentioned it was shit a few threads ago I asked them why and they said it was because I said it was different. It's doomposting of the highest degree. "It's not the same as a thing I know is good so it much be shit". SotWW's current magic rules are great IMO, I wouldn't want them for SotDL but it's not SotDL so that doesn't much matter.

>You actually can. Just, you know, tell us how the magic system works without being super vague.
Sucks for you then. Even if I wanted to tell you, I wouldn't. Anything I say is subject to change at literally any moment and I know it's not nailed down yet. Feel free to enjoy the doom and gloom of unfounded pessimism all the same though.
>>
>>80454111
Is the magic system that's currently implemented really all that different from the one in SotDL? Not really asking for any details, a yes or no will suffice.

>>80452454
>>80453427
I read some dude on Reddit saying it was interesting/good. I know, >reddit, but still.
>>
>>80454464
It's different enough that I can't even begin to talk about it. It's still magic, it's still spells, but past that Schwalb hasn't spoken about it so I'm not speaking about it. I've talked about loads of stuff in the game that Schwalb has made public, but it doesn't do anybody any good to explain how the system works as of right now. I think it's great, and I think it's probably the best thing for SotWW. It's different and interesting, which should 100% be something people want. Just making SotDL with a new aesthetic is really boring IMO, a new game should have new things going on to better suit the game. The current magic system makes me really excited to play more of SotWW. Not everyone is going to love it, and there will be some stuff to get used to for SotDL players, but not every one loves SotDL's magic system anyway. I don't like them for the same reasons either, but it brings a lot to the table.
>>
>>80454607
That's pretty interesting, cheers for the info. Hopefully it won't take too long for the game to release.
>>
>>80454111
He said traditions are gone and you refused to confirm or deny. Clearly he was onto something.
>>
>>80456654
Schwalb hasn't said if Traditions are returning or not yet, so I'm not allowed to comment on it. They might still be there as is, they could be gone, there may be new ones or old ones might have changed, the way you discover them could be different, they may be less specific or more specific, spells within Traditions might function different, ranks might not exist, there could be resources outside of castings, there could be resources replacing castings, Traditions might have special rules for each of them, maybe all Paths work like Priests do, maybe magic has is now arcane and divine, maybe they're just overarching concepts that don't dictate spell choices anymore but grant talents. There are so many possibilities of how things could be different that saying something like "Traditions are in the game" might just be super misleading even if they are in the game. I'm not being vague for no reason, stop reading into everything and just pulling information out of your ass. The lack of information is not an indication of anything. None of that matters though because even if Traditions aren't in the game that doesn't suddenly make magic shit. I've no idea how you could even have such a narrow conception of game design that you would draw that conclusion. So either way its still baseless doomposting, isn't it?
>>
>>80450448
If I was your DM I would allow it. Cool as fuck idea and it would be a really interesting plot point for the campaign.
>>
>>80450448
It's basically up to whether your DM allows whatever you want to be an implement I think, rather than the size. There's a tiny bit of a grey area with handedness when you've got like a battleaxe and a shield but the axe isn't your implement and you kinda need to shake the implement around or whatever to cast a spell, and how you're -technically- not supposed to just make regular weapons into implements related to that. I usually run that in particular as "you can use a staff or a dagger, or if you're a cleric you can justify something like a scythe (greatsword/glaive) for father death or a sickle for the old faith or similar."
Though also technically you're supposed to destroy all your nonmagical armor and weapons when you hit 3 and 7 and that's basically fucking stupid and I ignore that too. "Yeah bro sorry but that fullplate you could finally afford by level 6 fell apart haha suck it loser bet you wish you were a mage."

Personally if you write it cool (which is kind of implicit in the choice) like Goldlewis there or those dudes from DMC3 with the coffins I'd say it's a valid implement and let you treat it as a greatsword if you want. 3d6/cumbersome/strength req is fine.

Just kinda be forewarned about people who're sticklers for RAW, implements are supposed to be doohickies like skulls or candles or skulls with candles on them that are not implicitly weapons. Unless they're a relic, I guess.
>>
>>80457125
Except for all the religions that use weapons as implements, you mean?
>>
>>80454607
What exactly is SotWW anyway
>>
>>80457500
Shadow of the Weird Wizard, a game Schwalb's working on using the same basic mechanics as Demon Lord. We don't know too much about it but the tone is meant to be much more towards heroic fantasy so it can reach those who are put off by all the horror elements.
>>
>>80457500
Shadow mixed with D&D, and hopefully less poop
>>
>>80461755
Hopefully more poop. It's been a great normie filter.
>>
>>80462457
We don't want a normie filter though. We want normies to flock to SotWW, pay up, and financially subsidise our dark fantasy horror game for clever, handsome, cultured patricians.
>>
>>80462778
And then Schwalb stops creating dark fantasy material to focus exclusively on sotww, every hobby space gets infected with normies, and you find yourself being treated as if you're the one who doesn't belong by people who genuinely seem to believe that this was their hobby first
>>
but SotDL has shitloads of content already..
>>
>>80463087
>>80462778
SotWW is still dark fantasy, it's just not horror fantasy.
>>
>>80462778
That's a pretty shitty filter
>>
>>80463087
Schwalb himself seems to think otherwise. On a recent podcast he said something along the lines of the whole hobby doing well when the biggest franchise (ie. D&D) does well, that the rising tide of normies that lifts the D&D boat helps create a larger ecosystem in which far more niche material can also thrive.

Table Talk- Third Floor Wars episode 125
>>
>>80465072
Yeah, the man that knows how the industry works doesn't say stupid shit like the plebs on 4chan. I'ts a big shock.
>>
>>80463087
"tell me you're That Guy without telling me you're That Guy"
>>
>>80464992
heh

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.