[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: MGS.png (711 KB, 1181x1117)
711 KB
711 KB PNG
Best system to run a Metal Gear game with? Someone irl suggested Delta Green to implement the supernatural elements, and for the psychological damage characters take. I've never played Delta Green, so I have no idea how hard it would be to separate it from the Cthulhu mythos, or whether it would even be particularly appropriate.
>>
>>79737878
Take the dice and character sheets away from your players for twenty to forty minutes at a time in random scenes and monologue for that entire time.

Make sure to describe their characters doing wild bombastic shit without rolls.
>>
>>79738066
If you think about it, points where a player does something outside the combat system and you have to resolve it with a skill check is basically a quick time event, so that's handled.
>>
>>79738129
A quick time event would be you describing the scene, then you flick a quarter at the player in question. If they dont catch it they die and you restart the entire scene
>>
>>79738169
That's how I do Dex checks.
>>
>*codec beep*
>Colonel, I want to seduce the computer terminal to acquire the launch codes
>Snake, you can't seduce a computer terminal, it's not even alive
>that should just make it easier, Colonel
>>
>>79737878
>Best system to run a Metal Gear game with?

Freeform where you sit down and talk about about japanese monster movies and mexican cooking.
>>
Alright hit me with a list of codenames for the players and/or antagonists. Bonus points if you include a gimmick and how it relates to them.
>Dancing Ferret.
Fully articulated spine, can rotate parts of their torso through almost 360 degrees. Infiltrates by dislocating limbs to contort themself through narrow space like vents.
>>
>>79737878
There's Titan Effect, an ostensibly Metal Gear-inspired Savage Worlds supplement; can't say whether it's actually good, though.
>>
>People ITT think Metal Gear doesn't have gameplay
>>
>>79739086
In their defence, lot of people's introduction to the series was through 4, and there are tv shows with a shorter runtime than the cutscenes in that game. I enjoyed it, but it definitely gave the games a reputation.

I feel bad for Kojima to be honest. He gets whined at for having too many cutscenes in 4 *and* having too few in 5.
>>
>>79739180
>>79739086
having only played Metal Gear Solid, I can tell you the gameplay is not fun, especially not the boss battles
I quit before the "dark shaman" guy
https://youtu.be/KP5Iz1JXd5o?t=302
still love this line though
>>
File: 3an07juztie01.png (313 KB, 480x360)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>79739208
God damnit DSP, get the fuck out of here
>>
>>79737878
i like delta green's automatic fire rules--it wouldn't be hard at all to divorce it from the setting imo

i bought this stealth rpg years ago called black seven that was built for stuff like this but never got a chance to run it. might be worth looking into
>>
>>79739208
Man, I remember when MGS came out and everyone was completely blown away by it. I'd never seen a game that looked that good.
>>
File: Metal Gear Rising.png (3.71 MB, 2500x1152)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB PNG
>>79739275
I have no idea who that is
the gameplay is just not fun
MGR is the best entry by far
>>
Shadowrun
I tried homebrewing something, didn't get far at all. One premise was that not only combat, but also sneaking and other activities was done in turns, with the enemy guards having their own turn where they patrol.
But then idea was also not to play a group of Snakes, but a freakshow like Dead Cells with various abilities, so sneaking might not even be on the table.
>>
>>79739432
>Freakshow like Dead Cells.
This is what I was planning on making the PCs, a group of messed up people being deployed as agents because of augmentations or other things that've been installed in them.
>>
File: 1623422688705.gif (144 KB, 340x340)
144 KB
144 KB GIF
>>79739180
His cutscenes run on for way too fucking long and consist mostly of people telling us things we already figured out and Snake repeating them in a soft voice.

You can be butthurt that someone is being critical of a game you clearly like but it doesnt change the fact that Koijima desperately needs an editor to tell him that he needs to cut out 33% of any given cutscene.
>>
File: LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE.jpg (162 KB, 684x684)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>79737878
GURPS is 100% actually and unironically the best system for Metal Gear. I know this because I ran a goofy Cold War-era game with a ragtag team of soldiers with weird powers and it was absolutely perfect. Just the right level of detail without going into full-blown autism.
>>
>>79740208
>Cold War era
I think this is probably the best setting for any MGS campaign, you get the conspiracies and the east/west divide to play with, and there's huge gaps in the canon timeline to insert whatever you want.

The only other time period I think is really free to set something up in, is 2007-2014, between MGS2 and 4. That could be quite interesting, but basic soldiers start becoming increasingly irrelevant about that time, which limits the types of campaign you can play.
>>
>>79740060
>Say out that people criticising the game have a point, but state that I enjoyed the game despite the problems with it.
>YOU'RE BEING BUTTHURT
Are you retarded?
>>
>>79740208
What books?
>>
>>79738999
This actually looks alright for porting to something else, not a big fan of the setting they've got. I just want to know why they felt it needed furries.
>>
File: 1574640124221.jpg (951 KB, 2048x2048)
951 KB
951 KB JPG
>>79738999
my group played it for a session, as long as you like savage world it's alright, you can more or less emulate the supernatural aspects of the saga.
depending on what you want to exploit in the mgs games it can work, I'd say it works best for something like mgs4 or mgs3 or even MGR Revengeance
>pic related, my agent sending a photo of the bows for debriefing
>>
File: MonsoonI4.png (563 KB, 933x769)
563 KB
563 KB PNG
>>79740860
How does it handle THE MEMES?
>>
>>79740860
Is that MGR Hall?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.