[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 345435.png (1.27 MB, 561x911)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
You have read the very best fantasy book ever, right /tg/? Maybe even used it for your own characters? (book 3 comes out this year!)

What are you currently reading?
>>
>>79735841
I genuinely hate this book and this faggot author and his mary sue characters. most uncompelling shit I ever put time into reading
>>
>>79735841
>What are you currently reading?
How to rule an Empire and get away with it , and Stand on Zanzibar
>>
finished this week:
The Stranger in the Woods (about a hermit in Maine with 0 human contact for 27 years)
The Coma - Alex Garland (guy who wrote The Beach, 28 Days Later, Ex Machina)
Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix

not sure what i'm reading next yet
>>
>>79735841
This is an exceptionally terrible book series. I'm genuinely curious what the draw is. Aside from being an unironic cuck, NOTHING happens in the first two books.
How the fuck are they going to - presumably - have Kvothe perform whatever great act he's supposed to have done, end up on the run and broken, and all the other shit in ONE NOVEL?

Let's not forget the SEX FAIRY GODDESS and the SEX NINJAS, who were the most egregious part of things.
>>
>>79735841
The First Law
Waiting on 'The Wisdom of Crowds' in September.
>>
>>79735870
The books are massively over rated, but they are decent for the genre, just not really anything special.

That being said, if you walked away thinking Kvothe was a "mary sue" you totally missed the story. He's a broken man with no self confidence that gets the shit beaten out of him by some bugs. The story being told to the reader of his life and exploits is literally being told BY him and he is shown to be an unreliable narrator. The whole thing is a story within a story narrative where the main character is telling us his own backstory through a chronicler.

He is arrogant and unlikable for sure, but he often gets punished hard for it. He seems to always make it "okay" in the end, but a lot of that is likely Kvothe stretching the truth or inserting untruths. Look at the state he is in in the present. Clearly things didn't turn out "okay" for him in the end.

If you can't get past the obnoxious main character and some of the cringier shit inserted into the story I get it. I have little desire to and re-read this for that reason, but the books do have some good things to offer. I met Pat Rothfuss at Gencon in 2011 and he is just as unlikable and douchey as the main character.
>>
>>79735870
>beat mercilessly in fights
>lives in squalor eating shit
>point of the books is he's a high level adventurer recounting his campaign

>but he's smart and got laid once and good at things he was raised doing
>MARRRYYY SUUUUEE

Witless fetcher you are.
Aside, I like Kvoth well enough but its a well known fact that Kingkiller's strength is world building and the magic.
>>
>>79735932
I see we only know the book by memetic reputation. The sex part of both of those ends up being pretty unimportant.
>>
>>79736038
He spends two books trying to pay for college tuition.
>>
File: 71uZqQc4l7L.jpg (188 KB, 1399x2262)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>79735841
What happens when a dark fantasy author decides to write SF?
>>
>>79735841
>You have read the very best fantasy book ever
That picture isn't A Wizard of Earthsea, anon
>>
The only thing I liked in those books was the "magic" and that's pretty much it
>>
>The Name of the Cuckold

Get some taste
>>
>What are currently reading?
The Malazan Book of the Fallen. I am only on a third tome right now, but the storyline is really good and gives a lot of potential inspiration for GMs.
Actually my PCs are going to meet a magical object/NPC which I based on Silanda from the second book tomorrow.
>>
>>79736060
Never heard about this one.
Is it a good read?
>>
>>79736227
Still alive heads around the mast included?
>>
The riftwar cycle by Raymond e feist is practically required reading for d&d.
>>
>>79736255
Don't look to 4chan for stuff like that. Just Google some reviews for it. People here are contrarian to the extreme.
>>
I made the mistake of reading Ill Met in Lankhmar first guys.

I really liked the dynamic between the rogues and their wives.

Uh....

Should I proceed with the rest of the series? The next couple shorts I read were fairly bland.

Although I liked the one where the BBEG was an evil demonic architect.
>>
>>79735841
>very best fantasy book ever
Come on, man. I like those books, but let's talk like adults.

>book 3 comes out this year!
Does it really? Did Patrick explicitly say that?
>>
>>79736345
Read all of them, they're enjoyable even if some of them are a bit filler-y at times.
It's the dynamic of the friendship that's the enjoyable part.
>>
>>79736008
>but its a well known fact that Kingkiller's strength is world building and the magic.
the only thing it gets praise for is its prose, as far as magic and world building its a poor man's Ursula Le Guin
>>
>>79736345
Do go on with them, anon. You won't enjoy them all equally, that's for sure, but there's something interesting in most if not every one of them. One thing that's constant throughout the stories is the fantastic places they travel to.
I like the one in which they steal a house, the where they're in an underground city, the other one with a different underground city, the one that's in the bottom of the sea... you get the idea.
>>
>>79736500
That's not true at all mate. Go look up any positive reviews on the books, especially the first one, and the lions share of the praise is the magic, followed by the thoroughness of the setting.
>>
I really like The Jesus Incident, even if the best way to run a game inspired by it is just the Alpha Centauri GURPS book.
>>
>>79735841
One of the worst books I've ever read, please stop shilling it.
>>
>>79736584
if anyone is praising the setting or magic it just shows their lack of knowledge in the fantasy genre. Rothfuss hasn't done anything Mercedes Lackey didn't already do a generation earlier.
>>
>>79735841
Between books. Thinking of re-reading The Belgaraid series.
>>
>>79735841
Possibly the novel I hate the most, I've never before or after read something as far up its ass.
The prose is truly terrible, it's the high schoolers idea of beautiful writing. Meaning adding adjectives where they don't belong. It's incredibly tedious and long, like most contemporary fantasy. Instead of a contained 150 page novel we get bloated 600 pages of no content or detph. The characters are really all there to serve the power fantasy and it really does read like something written by a cuckold. The whole "hey, it's first person recount" is idiotic and it's not something Rothfuss can pull off. It's just a power fantasy. An unreasonable narrator in fantasy is not uncommon and Gene Wolfe wrote almost all of his stories as unreliable narrators and those really work - well written, full of imagination with people for characters, short for the amount of content too.

I'm reading Spengler's Decline of the West book 1 and Dumas' Three Musketeers. Spengler is a bit tedious and generally unclear and unspecific, while Dumas is just damn good fun.
>>
>>79736227
I really like finishing Malazan books they always end spectacularly, but starting the next one is a nightmare
>>
>>79735841
There are few fantasy books written after 1980 that are worth reading.
>>
Busy finishing up my own book thanks OP
>>
File: 435435.png (374 KB, 426x2607)
374 KB
374 KB PNG
>>79735841
How good is this list?

>>79735841
Isn't this just the OC Donut steal meme + not getting bullied + having sex by finding a fairy sex goddess in book form?
>>
File: agdft345.png (2.01 MB, 1017x814)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB PNG
>>79735841
>gigachad author
>writes about the alpha male experience in a fantasy setting
>triggers /tg/ completly

????
>>
>>79736003
>Look at the state he is in in the present. Clearly things didn't turn out "okay" for him in the end.

Not just that. Something FUCKED happened to him, and given the rules established so far I think he tried to change his own Name, or someone else did it to him. Modern Kvothe can't do magic anymore, neither Naming nor Sympathy. He doesn't sing or play music. Based on what we know about him, unreliable narrator or not, those are both signs that something really fucking awful has happened.

And everyone considers him responsible for starting a war thats still raging across the land to this day, and he seems to think that the invasion of weird alien bug monsters is his fault.

Kvothe may have had a really strong start to his adventuring career, but all indications point to him crashing so hard he's taken a good chunk of the world with him, and he is a man who is not just retired but sort of just waiting for one of his many enemies to finally catch up to him and kill him.
>>
>>79737195
It's awful
>>
>>79737382
>Modern Kvothe can't do magic anymore, neither Naming nor Sympathy. He doesn't sing or play music.
>those are both signs that something really fucking awful has happened.
>he seems to think that the invasion of weird alien bug monsters is his fault
I don't think those are two different things, though. The way I see it, the reason he's an innkeeper in bumfuck nowhere and a shadow of his former self is not that he was subjected to some vile Chandrian sorcery. Rather, it's that he's responsible, at least in part, for the war and the scrael invasion. So now he's wrecked with guilt, "I was Kvothe once and look where that got me".
The Chronicler's appearance is a chance for him to reconcile with his past self and regain his greatness. We see some of it happening, but he still recedes back into Kote when he feels some of Kvothe surfacing.
>>
>>79737672
>So now he's wrecked with guilt, "I was Kvothe once and look where that got me".

I would buy that if it was just that Kvothe was in a melancholy over the horrible turn his life has taken and how badly he's fucked things up, and thats certainly true for him. But when the bandits attack and rough him up he clearly goes to use some kind of magic to defend himself and it doesn't work. And he is powerless to open the 3-locked chest that requires some kind of sympathy manipulation to open.

Its not just that Kvothe is too bummed out and has forsaken magic. He literally can't do it anymore.
>>
>>79736008
Every aspect of the framing narrative serves to suck off the protagonist's, eat a deick.

As for the world building, it's generic as all hell.
The only truly remarkable thing is a great fucking writing style being wasted on a shit character like Kvoth.
>>
>>79737773
>Its not just that Kvothe is too bummed out and has forsaken magic. He literally can't do it anymore.
Yeah, when you say "too bummed out", of course something else must have happened, of the magical sort.
But I'm not saying he's bummed out, I'm talking actually traumatized. That the guilt fucked him up, psychologically, to the point that he became incapable of magic. At least until he comes to terms with it, which is what I assume happens in the third book.
>>
File: 1609149480555.jpg (294 KB, 1280x933)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>79737195
This list is like walking on a minefield.
>>
>>79735841
Currently reading Blackguards, a short story collection themed about rogues.
Ranging from okay to great so far.
Got the second Gentleman Bastards book lined up next. Heard it's the weakest of the bunch, but I REALLY enjoyed the first one, so I'm confident going in.
Also picked up Poppy War after getting some recommendations.
>>
How massive is the 3rd book going to be with all the plot hooks that need to be solved?
>>
>>79736008
>"He's not a Mary Sue because sometimes bad things happen to him!"
Doesn't matter, he literally always prevails in the end thanks to how amazing at everything he is.
>>
>>79737195
Sword of truth doesnt really deserve that much credit
>>
>>79737227
>gigachad
He looks like the polar opposite of one.
>writes about the alpha male experience in a fantasy setting
The protagonist is a literal cuck.
>>
>>79738121
There is no third book. His editor has confirmed that she hasn't seen a single page of it so far. He has no idea how to end the story so he just won't do it, he's clearly content to sell the rights and live off of the upcoming tv show/movie adaptations of his work.
>>
>>79737195
>How good is this list?
Remarkably mixed.
I hate about half the books on that I've actually written.
And unless I suddenly lost the ability to rea, there's no Discworld on there, which should be an condemnation all on its own.
>>
>>79737227
Everything you just said was wrong.
>>
>>79738190
He's literally a failure in the present you dimwit.
>>
>>79738387
This is irrelevant really as there's what, 50 pages of framing the story where he may or may not be burnt out? And the rest is typical wankery of some mega super talented dude who is kept down by Tanner from high school who bullied me when I was in high school and who got all the girls instead of a true gentleman, me.
>>
>>79736038
>The sex part of both of those ends up being pretty unimportant.
But the books are filled with dumb bullshit that's not important, that's the entire problem.

Some actually good literature for /tg/ inspiration:

Tigana
Lord of Light
This Immortal
Deadhouse Gates
Shadow of the Torturer
>>
>>79737195
I see 5-6 really good works - Le Guin, Tolkien, Jack Vance, Moorcock is okay and some are passable toilet reading. The rest, really really bad. One anon said it's a minefield, but it's a minefield where almost every bit of the ground has a mine beneath.
>>
>>79736944
when did music stop being good, grandpa?
>>
>>79737227
lol this s0iboi?
he looks like he's on his way to looking like George RR Martin
>>
>>79738539
It's really true about fantasy books. Movements and styles in literature have life cycles. Music didn't stop being good, but certain genres have for example. Fantasy is much like a genre. There isn't an infinite amount of quality works in realism or romanticism and both at some point became stale. Fantasy is dying (as literature of any quality at least) and has become stale and it's exhausted its creative possibilities.

What would you name as quality fantasy that has been written since 1990. for example? I'd say Gene Wolfe and Michael Swanwick wrote the best works in the period with others doing readable, if not groundbreaking or high brow stuff.
>>
>>79738485
>likes le guin, moorcock, vance, yet no mention of howard
opinion discarded
>>
File: 234324.png (494 KB, 370x555)
494 KB
494 KB PNG
>>79735841
This book is awesome. Its like Dungeon Keeper, but with different types of dungeons (think heroes of might and magic towns). Oh, and the protagonist dungeon core is kind of "good", but still murders millions.
>>
>>79738711
I could list a bunch of fantasy since 1990 that I think is great but I've been on 4chan too long and I know how that game is played.
I just fundamentally disagree with you. There are over 100,000 albums released each year, and between 600,000-1,000,000 books. If you're only listening to the radio or reading stuff on the NYT Bestseller list then I can see why you think good stuff isn't being released anymore. If your definition of a genre is very narrow and you also think that to be great the work also has to be creatively groundbreaking, I can see why you think good stuff isn't being released anymore.
But with that much stuff being released, there's plenty of great options in every genre. The problem is with your expectations.
>>
>>79735841
god that book was so boring, i got a couple of chapters in but couldnt force myself to read it to the end
>>
>>79738925
your expectations + how you go about finding stuff
>>
File: FB_IMG_1580143377024.jpg (78 KB, 1080x1080)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>79738762
Didn't see him, love Howard, read most of what he wrote this and last year. Even painted a Conan. Pic related.
>>79738925
There's nothing lower when it comes to my expectations in books than what I expect from Marxism or contemporary fantasy. My standards are simply not being bored by it really. And yeah, a couple decent books were surely written, but it's on it's way out. I'd take your recs as I'd be happy to find some good works, not like I get off on reading things I dislike.
To be fair I think the West as a civilisation has exhausted its spiritual power and is on its way out on all creative fronts in the way Spengler described.
>>
>>79738711
>What would you name as quality fantasy that has been written since 1990
The Book of All Hours
>>
>>79739195
Going from Wikipedia, it sounds like total crap, but, what did you like about it and what would be your 10 favourite novels in general?
>>
>>79739149
Get on antidepressants and stop trying to see the negative in everything.
Don't worry about what's in or out and just enjoy what you enjoy. When a genre or hobby isn't bringing you joy anymore, move on to another one.
>>
>>79738267
This is why I hate Rothfuss. He is a lying sack of shit, constantly stringing his audience along with fake info about his third book to get them to watch his streams and donate to his shit. Fat sack of garbage, he's done actual irreparable damage to fantasy publishing. The amount of people who have told me they will no longer begin a series until it has run its entire course is massive, and they all cite either George Fatfuck Martin or Patrick Retard Rothfuss as the reason.
>>
>>79739295
the joke is I remember when The Name of the Wind first came out it was marketed as such to suggest (or outright state) that all the books were written and would be released one a year...
>>
>>79739266
Even if I was depressed I wouldn't go on meds that would probably just make things worse.

Literary movements living and dying is hardly something which emotionally hits me, there's a dozen lifetimes of good literature out there, fantasy that's already written included. Read Lud in the Mist relatively recently and that for example was a very pleasant work. I've only read a little bit of Clarke Ashton Smith for example and I'll definitely be reading more. I still haven't gotten around Demon Princes from Jack Vance either. Hell, there's even a few novels from Gene Wolfe which I haven't read yet and I have read and reread most of his stuff.
>>
>>79739266
>Get on antidepressants
>move on to another one
Lol fuck no Satan. More consumerism won't cure pains of consumerism.
>>
File: Honkhonkboom.jpg (50 KB, 736x629)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>79735932
>>79735841
>>79735870
>gf's favorite book
>read the first one and it was below mediocre
>I've put off the reading the second book
I don't have the heart to tell her the book was garbage and I have no interest in ever reading the second.
>>
>>797359
>>79737195
Dresden files are good fun, you can read one in an afternoon.
>>
>>79739425
Who said anything about consumerism?
You can borrow books from the library or pirate ebooks like I do.
>>79739384
I didn't get on them until 35 and I wish I had done it 20 years earlier.
>>
>>79739253
>what did you like about it
The prose itself is very good, and it goes fantastical not only with the world it takes place in, but in the framing and narration as well. It is about a fractal universe where personality archetypes and mythical narratives run cyclically, with scenes in world war trenches mirroring those of ancient myth for example.

>what would be your 10 favourite novels in general?
Gonna go with genre literature only, but in no particular order and off the top of my head:

Book of the New Sun series
A Fire Upon the Deep
Ringworld
Slaughterhouse 5
Hyperion
This Immortal
Lord of Light
Blindsight
Kallocain
Anansi Boys (fuck you, it's delightful)
>>
>>79737382
I think his waifu-that-cucks was killed or married that one prince. So he killed him which started the war.
For the bugs, maybe killing the memewizards unleashed them or something.
>>
Sabriel
Edge Chronicles
Terry Pratchett

Just throwing those into the ring.
>>
>>79739349
Yeah, that was him lying his ass off again. He'd apparently 'written' all three books but only in the sense that he'd done a rough draft of each before he spent like 7 years polishing and editing the first one. So his stupid ass got on interviews saying they were already written so he'd have them out like one a year, that clearly didn't fucking happen.
>>
>>79737382
He pretty clearly puts his Name in the box after killing Ambrose when Ambrose becomes king.
>>
>>79739500
It sounds reasonably readable at least.
Also, This Immortal was the weakest Zelazny I've read actually. Amber an Lord of Light were much more interesting. And Blindsight was one of those 400 page science novels that offer 100 pages worth of scifi concepts padded by dull prose and characters that never feel like genuine humans. I really prefer short stories in science fiction, if it's concept based. Writing decent (in terms of how well written they are, not moral qualities) human beings somehow almost always eludes science fiction writers.

>>79739527
Sabriel is something definitely and specifically written for teenagers, I'd have loved it if I read it when I was 13 or so.
>>
>>79739476
You did. Solving issues by consuming more products (antidepressants, new genres and hobbies) without looking for a cure. You didn't tell him to take a break from it.
>>
>>79739527
I could never get into Discworld.
>>
>>79739701
Which series did you start from? I wouldn't get into Discworld if I started with the witches. Even though I grew to like them later.
>>
>>79738387
Yes, dude's such a failure that he acts like a complete drama queen over reciting his story, goes from an acting troupe to homeless to getting free cloths by claiming he was nobility to going to college and working earning his rent playing in the local tavern to finding the girl of his dreams, getting pissy because the guy wrote down how he was describing her, to them killing a dragon with fantasy meth, with his only loss there being that he couldn't sell it's scales or the fantasy meth.
>>
>>79738387
-The elf dude is only there to talk about how great he is
-The dude writing everything down clearly things he's hot shit
-there is an entire segment dedicated to him instantly figuring out the dude's short script, that adds nothing to the story except further fellating Kvoth
>>
>>79739632
>This Immortal was the weakest Zelazny
I haven't read all that much of his, but I really liked the "mythic" style of the story and it's telling, and how to me at least it didn't feel derivative of anything really.

>And Blindsight was one of those 400 page science novels that offer 100 pages worth of scifi concepts padded by dull prose and characters that never feel like genuine humans.
I read the characters more as genuinely inhuman, in a purposeful way. "Starfish" by the same author goes even deeper into technological and social dehumanization.

>short stories in science fiction
These can be really good yes, but I also think that a sci-fi framing can be used to great advantage for exploring morality and human(or non-human) psychology. The issue is just that characters and dialogue is unimportant in many sci-fi works. I personally don't think that applies to Peter Watts though.
>>
I'm finally going through the Wheel of Time, currently on Shadow Rising. Good stuff, loving them so far.
>>
>>79738387
The problem is we aren't getting any setup in his tale for his inevitable fall. Book 2 doesn't end at the height of Kvothe's career and reputation, it ends before he gets to the stuff he's really famous for. We know Kvothe is going to end up as Kote and we have some ideas as to the things that cause it but we still have zero fucking indication as to how he gets there from where he is at the end of the second book. It feels like we're just at the start of his career but we're 2/3 of the way through the story. The third book is going to have to contain Kvothe's meteoric rise, all the important shit he did at the height of his fame, and then his fall all in the span of a single book and then wrap up the story in the present day since it's clear these modern day segments aren't just a framing device. There's no fucking way to cover all that in one book and make it well paced, even a book as large as Rothfuss's.
>>
>rothfuss
>world building
fucking lol
>>
>>79739864
Blindsight didn't read like an exploration of a dehumanised character at all, it just read like he can't really write good characters. Many of the characters weren't even set up as inhuman and he attempted to write in various flaws of humans in them. The AI transferred mother of the protagonist was a good example. A totally dehumanised character, but written as a regular human, just not very good. Protagonist as well, there was nothing that would dehumanise him compared to most of us living today on some particularly notable level from what I remember.

Gene Wolfe has a really really good example of writing inhuman characters in the second Fifth Head of Cerberus novella or in Labour Day, one of his more decisive shorts.

Zelazny is generally entertaining and the Corwin part of Amber was some good fantasy shit. Sort of like Game of Thrones, but good and actually finished.
>>
>>79739945
Good for you.
I tapped out after needing 2 months to make it to the first book.
Liked the writing but everything took just SO FUCKING LONG to get anywhere.
Plus, I guess it is intentional, but a lot of things felt like LotR with the serial numbers filed off.
>>
>>79735841
Finished Sparrow Hill Road. Really enjoyable modern ghost series of stories, kind of more like an anthology with the same main character.

Just started The Crystal Shard. Enjoying it, but there are definitely parts that I think aren't so good and some of the characters act strange.
>>
File: Amarapura_Palace.jpg (544 KB, 941x660)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
>>79735841
A few stories of scientific romances, like The Horror of the Heights. Going to check Sword & Planet and/or Sword & Silk next.

Homebrewing a setting of floating islands and airships in a gas giant, but the people and cultures are based off Austronesians and Kra-Dai. Imagine you can be a not!Maori Rogue Trader looting spices and gilded prayer-wheels from a not!Thai village whose warriors use spears with hollow shafts which double as blowguns shooting piezothermal crystal shards. One of them sets the hand-beak in your shoulder on fire and you swear to avenge its death.
>>
>>79736919
Seems excessive, the prose seemed standard decent fantasy-tier, nothing remarkable but certainly not worthy of that much anger. And the whole 'cuck' thing on 4chins is irritatingly out of control.
That being said, Dumas is an absolute beast, 3 musketeers and the count are two of my all time favorites and I don't think anyone should skip them, like you said they are alarmingly FUN and written in such an entertainingly tongue-in-cheek way. The fact that many translations are so good surprises me as well.
>>
And pulpy fun fantasy is underrated in threads like these. I love me some Brent Weeks, some Glen Cook or some Locke Lamora guy.
Seriously I would probably put the Night Angel books, edgy as they are, up there with some of my favorite reads. Certainly not high literature but I just can't help loving all those characters. Man's incredible with fantasy names actually, always been jealous of that.
>>
>>79735841
Currently listening to an audiobook of The Fifth Elephant for the third or fourth time. I love the City Watch series and I love Sam Vimes as a character.
>>
>>79740202
Had a fun time in middle school with some of those Salvatore books, but I found the first ones (by timeline, like Homeland) to be more interesting than the classic, older ones like Crystal Shard. Good introductory point to generic fantasy, but basically the literary equivalent to a mediocre tv drama.
And later in the books, jesus christ man, salvatore just grow the balls to kill off a single goddamn character, or at least don't pretend they're dead when we all know how this plot ends.
>>
>>79735841
Finished up Dune Messiah the other day. I thought it was pretty good, though I think I like the first book a bit better overall.
>>
>>79740322
>The fact that many translations are so good surprises me as well.
I mean there's probably so many translations at least some should be good in the 200 years it's been a thing. And the first third of the novel has been pretty fun, but I do find myself rooting for the Cardinal. Fuck the English and fuck the Spanish.

Rothfuss has literally written Kvothe as a cuckold, his love interest gets railed by other men but he doesn't mind because she only loves and cuddles with him. He wrote it into the novel.
>>
File: 1585395072633.jpg (240 KB, 1600x900)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
Kane
sword and sorcery as good as if not better than what howard wrote and with a darker more gothic atmosphere
>>
>>79735841
I started reading this book and when it turned into one more fat fucking American yammering about how gypsies are just fun misunderstood people with the souls of wanderers I put that shit down. I refuse to read yet another fantasy novel glorifying itinerant criminals.
>>
>>79740533
Well in fairness I've only read Name and not the second one. But it seemed like Rothfuss was not purposely taking some kind of fetish cuck route specifically so much as he's saying 'hey this bitch is kinda fucked up, maybe Kvothe is making a big mistake getting charmed by her but he can't help it' type deal.
Yeah I suppose Dumas' shit has probably been through countless revisions of translations, that's a good point. I'm always surprised by how modern the prose sounds though, like syntax-wise I guess?
The cardinal is great, yeah, you can't help but admire him at the least, especially since the king is such a little bitch. But if you like it definitely read Monte Cristo, less swashbuckling but more drama, easily in my top 5.
>>
>>79740787
Americans don't even have gypsies, I don't think he's ever seen one.
They do have nigs, which is the same really, just more rap instead of Bulgarian thriller.
>>
>>79740787
I bet there's not much fantasy you can read if that's the thought process, huh? Imagine not being able to enjoy something for that of all reasons. I highly doubt this American mediocre fiction author is making a grand statement about gypsies.
>>
Where the Bakkerchads at?
>>
>>79740824
>But it seemed like Rothfuss was not purposely
This is most of the novel really, it's a playground for his shallow subconscious. He was bullied in high school so he made the antagonist the guy who bullied him. He never got his pp wet in high school with Stacy because Stacy was banging other dudes so in this novel he gets to bang Stacy as well. The whole novel is like this.
>>
>>79740827
>They do have nigs, which is the same really, just more rap instead of Bulgarian thriller.
There's vast differences between american blacks and gypsies. The only common thing is them being an ethnic minority and being overrepresented in crime.
>>
>>79740856
Talk about prose that high schoolers find deep, dark and edgy.
>>
>>79740876
Yeah. He's also a rock star and has super powers.
>>
>>79740888
It's more or less the same for quality of life. You don't want them near your children or in the same schools.

Here the mayor gifted a number of houses to some gypsies and the value of housing plummeted within a few months there.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (141 KB, 304x500)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>79735841
That book fucking blows. Pic related is the best sci-fi/fantasy book(s) of all time.
>>
>>79740963
>It's more or less the same for quality of life. You don't want them near your children or in the same schools.
The part that matters when it comes to literature is actual internal culture and cultural perception/place in society (other than poor + bad), and both of those things are very different between euro gypsies and american blacks is what I'm saying.
>>
>>79740856
/lit/
>>
>>79737195
This list has got to be bait. So much of it is truly awful.
>>
>>79741028
Gene Wolfe is fucking awesome. But while he does the poetic/epic thing extremely well, books with more character-driven narratives and naturalistic dialogue aren't inherently worse.
>>
Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Era 2 series. His books are really good, the first trilogy was amazing and the second era books actually read a lot like an rpg campaign. The setting has an rpg, too, though I haven't tried playing it, yet.
>>
>>79735841
has anyone seen how pathetic Rothfuss is now?
>his streams are just him complaining about his 10yr old fans
>desperately hawking product X or corrupt charity Y
>bloodshot eyes
>gets angry when fans ask him about name of the wind, or any of his lore-holes
>complains about past mistakes constantly, refuses to change or adjust
>always on the verge of telling everyone to fuck off
>jerked off by fanboys and jerked around by publishers, but chooses to believe that hes' flawless
>buried under so many NDAs that he can barely explain how awful his financial situation is
>still hasnt written anything worth reading since his debut
>blames everyone but himself
>"ITTL BE OUT WHEN ITS OUT!!!!"

highly recommend tuning in if he wasnt such a bore, if only to watch him decay
>>
>>79741028
HELL YEAH
>>
>>79740856
Ive never been huge on Bakker's beliefs, but the Inchoroi are legitimately frightening, and he himself is really just super fun
>>
>>79737195
This seems more like a metric of what people have read. Its a good way to rank popularity, but not merit.
The mass market will inherently equate the amount of time spent with something to its quality.
>>
>>79736345
It will not be worth your time.
>>
File: 5250_peter_poggers.png (34 KB, 146x146)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>79736317
...and you think google reviews will be better.
>>
>>79736311
my man
>>
File: 1588012826815.jpg (521 KB, 1920x795)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>79736008
You seem to like Kvothe more than you claim, so ill put it as gently as I can, but diversifying your pallete might outline the problems with the text that youre not able to see. Calling them apparent isnt an understatement.
>>
File: 1567172171400.jpg (45 KB, 680x381)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>79736003
the book is decent
>just get over the awful, overpowered main character
>he cant be a mary sue if hes "suffering" after all
>just look past the cringe, the power fantasy, obnoxious MC, terrible supporting cast, and clumsy prose and its decent

Anon its hard to drive cross-country if your only companion is insufferable; there's nothing to look at, the car breaks down, and you have no destination after 2 books
>>
>>79741497
Not him, but the magic system is literally the only redeemable part. And that's only in isolation, since any setting with prevalent magic should have society shaped by those abilities.
>>
Been reading this, it's pretty good military sci fi and it's the same author who wrote for the Android Netrunner series. He did the Golem trilogy which was pretty good.
>>
>>79736038
>unimportant
Then it didn’t need forty eight pages devoted to it.
>>
>>79739945
You’re going to hit the slog in a couple of books, anon, but power through.
>>
>>79739945
Nynaeve is best girl.
>>
>>79735841
You should burn in Hell for mentioning this criminally atrocious book publicly.
>>
>>79739945
>rereading WoT before Amazon rapes it
>macrodosing glycine before bed after reading the damane parts
>intense MFF sex slave dreams
I highly recommend this series
>>
>>79735932
The best part of this book is that people take it at face value. Kvothe is a bard by trade. He's spinning the Chronicler a fucking yarn and that idiot is eating it hook, line, and sinker. The entire thing is an exercise in the world's most charismatic unreliable narrator. No, Kvothe did not fuck a fairy goddess or sex ninjas. He doesn't know the hand symbols. He never did the blade dance. He's not a master wizard. He's a bard that's rolling mad high on Perform (Storytelling). The only person that can call him out on his bulslhit gets angry and leaves before he really gets into the meat of his story and so Kvothe can sit there and bullshit until the cows come home. When I realized I was being lied to and had been for almost an entire book I actually gave Rothfuss some credit. It takes balls to write a book of lies like this and the fact that most people can't see it only makes it better. I can only imagine the smug fucking look he gives people who give him shit about the insane shit Kvothe does.
>>
>>79743557
At least one time the fairy servant could call him out, he does. He points out that Denna wasn’t that attractive at all, she looked very different, and is about to point out other things about her before Kvothe screeches like an autist and tells him to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>79743729

If you mean that she is a whore addicted to the setting’s version of crack, then that is pretty obvious as soon as you look twice at her. She’s literally a denner whore, hence her name ”Denna”.
>>
>>79739757
Started with Color of Magic. I also read Mort and, while I enjoyed it, never felt the need to continue.
>>
>>79740856
Truth shines!
>>
>>79743557
So, writing a garbage novel was all a ruse?

I've stated it before, but this isn't how you write a book spinning lies. Lolita and various stories by Gene Wolfe, in various extents, are all unreliable and face value or not work as well written stories. Rothfuss doesn't, reliable or not.
>>
>>79737929
>why does this story about a guy listing his famous exploits build him up so much fucking mc wank

Are you really stupid or just want to argue on the internet
>>
File: GITS.jpg (246 KB, 1300x919)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
I'm now reading all of Sandersons books. I enjoy his style and the guy actually writes. My current rpg campaign is set on the Witcher universe, however. I don't feel comfortable setting anything on Sandersons books, I don't know why.

>>79735841
I've read all of Rothfuss books and can't remember shit about them. When he releases the third I won't even know what the hell a Kvothe is.
>>
>>79743971
Are you autistic? You have real trouble grasping why people don't enjoy the story whether it was made up by unreliable narrator or not. It's crap either way. Nobody reads it for author's ruse cruise.
>>
I really enjoyed "Off to Be the Wizard" by Scott Meyer. The whole audiobook is on Youtube, too.

Is Dune worth picking up as an audiobook? Unrelated to /tg/, but I've recently completed To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby, while dropping Moby Dick due to a slow droning narrator. I'd love to get more into fantasy, but I need something more than monotone descriptions.
>>
>>79743557
>haha, I was only pretending to be a bad writer!
>>
>>79741158
OK I'll be the one to ask, what the fuck is up with the cheerios boxes
>>
>>79735904
Do you have a link to download The Coma ?
>>
>>79743913
I'd give Guards, Guards! a shot, honestly. The Watch line of books are fantastic.As are the following Death books, too. Color of Magic is probably one of the weaker books, honestly.
>>
>>79744166
He's bulking up to be like George M.
>>
>>79735841
Currently reading WoT Shadow Rising like other anons before Amazon totally ruins it and brings in a bunch of blue hairs.

Alongside reading No Mans World by Pat Kelleher, its WW1 sci fi kino.

Going to get Foucaults Pendulum for summer travel reading
>>
>>79743967
Except the novels are fine. The biggest complaints is that the MC feel like an overpowered self-insert. That's the point. It is. Rothfuss has good prose and he (would) have good pacing if he actually had an idea of how to end what he started. Taken as they are the books are okay. They're not groundbreaking but this was objectively a good use of an unreliable narrator because Rothfuss sets up that Kvothe is a fucking conman within the first 20 pages and everything after that is you being taken for a ride then complaining at the end that you got taken for a ride. If you want to have a legitimate literary criticism it should be that this story doesn't know how or when it's supposed to end. Rothfuss can take you where he wants to but he obviously has no idea where he's going. That's a pretty big problem but it's an issue that affects the meta-narrative, and less the individual novels which are fine reads.
>>
>>79744923
>I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>79739675
lol ok bro
you're the one projecting by saying that hobbies = buying stuff
hiking through the woods is a hobby
switching from reading 1 genre to another and getting your life sorted out through the help of antidepressants /= rampant consumerism
>>
>>79735932
My wife has the same publisher. This series will never be finished.
>>
>>79738473
Shadow has history in it. Gene never was much be style.
>>
>>79741028
Book sucks. Gene was ok though.
>>
>>79740876
>Baselessly retarded opinion presented as fact
>Pretending that this is the only high fantasy novel in which the main character has magic powers
I mean it's never going to be my favorite book but neither am I going to have it ruined for me by how many dudes one of the characters fucks.
>>
>>79739500
oh man, I understand Anansi Boys is good but I can't get through it because it's so pathetic to read about his life at the beginning.
>>
>>79743380
*tugs braid, sniffs, and then fucks the everloving shit out of Lan MANChadgoran
>>
>>79744003
I like all of sandersons stuff but there's always this thin veneer in his character's romantic relations that reeks of mormon bullshit that I grew up around. Almost like he's a mormon and can't let that go.
>>
>>79746059
Brainlet detected
>>
>>79746445

That guy fucks
>>
>>79743455
I have found that there are only three types, those who hate the wheel of time, those who love it, and the weak willed who think they don't have enough time for it.
>>
I'd like to request more book covers. It helps with searching up your recs
>>
>>79746414
Man I keep getting blown away by that author. Can't quite put my finger on it but something about his prose just keeps me reading like nothing else.
>>
>>79743455
What's amazon doing?
>>
>>79746575
What do I do if I read the first one and just wasnt impressed? The prose left no mark on me, and the setting and story seemed as generic Tolkien as they come.
Well that's probably an exaggeration, better than sword of truth and sword of shannara, but easily worse than most of the pulpy generic stuff that I enjoy.
>>
File: m.jpg (20 KB, 248x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
I really like this one
>>
>>79736227
>The Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Good stuff. Hefty going, and the last two books were split a little strangely (because the author realized part way through that it was just too much for one).
>>
File: Robert E. Howard.jpg (153 KB, 768x973)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>79735841
Crom laughs at your Name of the Wind
>>
>>79747255
I like his story, the children of the night, because it is easily read as a racist suffering brain trauma from hitting his head, hallucinating memories of a past life where he went out like a baller fighting snake people, and then using it as an excuse for his prejudices for his colleague and supposed friend of mixed heritages to attempt to murder him.

Probably cause the motherfucker never shuts up about being an aryan. One of my favorite short stories taken at face value or with this more mundane interpretation.

Right up there with the seven geases, where a guy gets passed around between elder gods like an unwanted fruit cake
>>
File: Changeling.jpg (126 KB, 791x575)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>79736311
It is far and away better than any of the brand name D&D novels though, so worth checking out just to see that done well.
>required reading for D&D
It is derivative rather than inspirational. You're better off going to older, pre-D&D books for that.
>>79738473
>actually good literature for /tg/ inspiration
Thanks, anon.
My list would include:
The Caves of Budapest
Bridge of Birds
The Face in the Frost
>>79741146
>Brandon Sanderson
>really good
There's no saving you, but I pity the anon who believes this.
>>79746679
Getting Woke with the tv adaptation.
It's a shame, because cutting the length by half is just what the series needs to reach a wider audience - if it were otherwise well executed. But it's already clear that well executed is coming way behind getting woke.
>>79746696
Even as a fan, I would say sit it out.
I will mention in passing that it finds its own voice later on. Jordan claims he had to do it to get published.
There's a much delayed payoff to it though. Halfway through the series, whiny Luke Sky- I mean, Rand al'Thor, asks the reader/Obi wan Kenobi with tits why he can't just fly- I mean, Travel to Mount Doom- I mean, Shayol Gul, and throw the One- I mean, shed his blood on the rocks as prophecied and get it over with.
And Obi wan Kenobi with tits turns to the camera and says things aren't so simple they can be solved with just a heroic overland journey. They'll have to get into politics and raising armies and actually give that some screen time.
So, they do. It was, for the time, a blow against all of Tolkien's lesser imitators for not breaking out of the formula.
But that's a long and delayed payoff for having to sit through the formula at first. I don't actually recommend it to people who say they didn't like it.
>>
>>79745968
Your wife is an author? That’s awesome!
>>
>>79745968
Post wife's book
>>
>>79735841
Brandon Sanderson's stuff is pretty cool. He's even written a MtG book.
>>
>>79744166
hes hawking them
>>
>>79743557
the mental gymnastics you people do for this bad writing is incredible
>>
>>79741593
youre right the magic is good, but he lacks the confidence to stick to one cohesive system, and instead has two incompatible ones at the same time
as well portrayed as they are, its pretty apparent that he couldnt decide
>>
>>79735841
I would say take that trash to /lit/ but they shit all over it there too.
Why don't you read something more high brow and take a step up from children's lit to YA like drizzit?
God forbid you read Jonathan Strange, a once and future king, the worm ouroboros, or the gormenghast series.
>>
>>79744923
>The only problem is the whole narrative.
>And every character.
>And every event.
>But its decent i swear.
>>
>>79745968
poast wife.
>>
>>79746748
PUG! PUG! PUG!
>>
>>79747298
what
>>
>>79743770
Yeah, the second book makes at least two references to her pure white teeth.
>>
File: t2iwdoy.jpg (830 KB, 2092x1631)
830 KB
830 KB JPG
A Practical Guide to Evil is perhaps one of my favorite series. It plays with tropes in new, old, and altogether interesting ways. Its banter is top tier. It has a fairly interesting world. And it has fairly well described action.
If I have anything bad to say its that as the series goes on, it starts getting just so many characters to keep track of that it can be a bit of a chore. Also I felt like book...4 I think, the one with the drow dragged on for a bit long.
Still, highly recommend. It's even free to read as a web serial right now!
>>
>>79735841
Pic-related is a good book for any sci-fi rebellion settings.
The thing I think is funny, is that despite it being about an idealised libertarian society, Heinlein takes quite a materialistic stance on said society.
The denouement is basically about how truly libertarian societies can only exist on the frontier, and that as a society becomes more "civilised" the more restrictive it becomes
i.e. Libertarianism is a product of the society that births it, rather than a Randian exercise of pure will.
>>
File: cuckkiller chronicles.jpg (779 KB, 2448x3264)
779 KB
779 KB JPG
>>79735841
Definitely not cuckkiller chronicles
>>
>>79749823
What the appeal of other men fucking your gf? I don't get why the author included this.
>>
>>79739445
>favorite book is about a cuck who simps for a girl that fucks everyone except him

Red flag. Get out while you can, friend.
>>
>>79750034
You just need to know the authors personality for his self-inserts thoughts to be clear.
He had a mental breakdown, made a crying rant video post months after where he said he couldn't write his book unless one president got impeached, and went into therapy because his idol, a wife of a former president, lost an election in 2016.

I mostly agree with the other posters that the book is vastly overrated, and no one even mentioned the worst parts like Father-Mothers yet...

That said, he wrote The Slow Regard of Silent Things which is my favorite short story ever.
>>
File: 1616734360849.jpg (485 KB, 799x1010)
485 KB
485 KB JPG
>>79740856
>>
>>79741146
Liked the first book mostly because it had the balls to just outright kill off the "main character". Couldn't even get through the second one and this was in high-school. Met him once there as well since he was doing a book signing/sell thing, seems like a decent guy but not eh.
>>
About to finish Book 2 (Great Hunt) of Wheel of Time -- somehow missed it when I was in middle school (though I was aware of it) and enjoying it thus far.
>>
>>79735841
>read first book when it came out(I was 14)
>wow this is really fun and the prose is above average
>read second book right after it released
>literally angry for days at how bad it was

Wise Man's Fear is the single worst book I have ever read. In the sense that there were books more banal and more poorly written, I've read worse(Orcs by Stan Nichols immediately come to mind).

But never have I had even a slight expectation for anything, and been more disappointed than when I read Wise Man's Fear. What an absolute abomination of a book. Looking back on Name of the Wind as an adult, it's still a pretty good yarn, but fuck, Wise Man's Fear deserves specific recognition for how retarded it is.

That being said:
Currently reading:
Tales of the Narts(folklore of the Ossetians)
Myth and Religion of the North(pretty great overview of Norse religion)
Stories as Sharp as a Knife(Haida mythology)

Tales of the Narts is just great, been working through it slowly.
Myth and Religion of the North is a bit dry, but I knew that going in, and I'm hopeful I can glean some ideas for the viking analogues in my campaign
Stories as Sharp as a Knife is a mixed bag. It's simultaneously a really interesting story about why we have a bunch of traditional oral legends from the Haida(a native tribe from Southern Alaska/British Columbia), a beautiful arrangement of those legends, and unfortunately, an unhealthy dollop of idpol soapboxing. The author/arranger is as annoying as he is skilled at poetry and storytelling.
>>
>>79750202
My experience with Sanderson was:
>Heard he got picked to finish WoT
>went and read Mistborn
>garbage
>his WoT continuation
>the only things he didn't make worse were the things that had never been any good
>not as bad as Mistborn though
>years later my brother assures me Way of Kings is really good
>read it
>it's anime as an epic fantasy novel, replete with a ridiculously edgy shonen protag
>actually pretty good

I give the guy credit for improving over time. The first couple mistborn books were genuinely fucking atrocious. I couldn't stand the characters or his awkward depictions of them.
>>
>>79738206
>My father taught me the value of never allowing anger to cloud my actions, the consequences could be dire. Self control is important
>Wait, this magic sword is fueled by anger?
>BEING ANGRY IS FUCKING AWESOME.
>>
File: glee-sm_face.jpg (60 KB, 673x696)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>79740856
>mfw Bakker fags got beaten out of /lit/ by anime posting
>>
>>79750492
Might have to try Way of Kings. I'm always down for ridiculousness.
>>
>>79738229
>>79738292
>>79738648
You all took the bait.
>>
Coldfire trilogy
System Apocalypse series
He who fights with monsters
>>
>>79743557
>The only person that can call him out on his bulslhit gets angry and leaves before he really gets into the meat of his story
...who is this? It's just Kvoth, Bast, and the Chronicler. Some traveller "recognizes" him, but he has zero first-hand info like everyone else except Bast.
>>
Recent reads are in no order: dante's divine comedy, solzhenitsyn's ivan denisovitsch, dostojesvki's idiot and the only tg adjacent was ursula l quinn's winds twelve quarters. Maybe next going to move to something by clark ashton smith.
>>
Rereading this series for the third time trying to piece together the worldbuilding so I can try incorporate it into its own campaign since the author sure can't finish it anymore.
>>
File: 1614289047446.png (376 KB, 360x471)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>79736008
Hello Mr Rothfuss dont you have a book to be finishing?
Anyway OP I'm reading The Way of Kings, has really interesting world building, definitely the best Sanderson I've read so far.
>>
>>79750251
This so much. The first book is decent enough but the sequel is horrible.
>>
>>79735841
Dude Name of the Wind sucks
>>
>>79735841
I don’t know OP I tried reading this but it was so boring.
>>
>>79735841
I’m currently reading through this and I just finished The hour of the dragon as well.
>>
File: 1612970896359.jpg (296 KB, 1024x682)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
Someone should make a list of /tg/ approved books so we have something to collectively call shit and argue about
>>
>>79735841
How distasteful is it to shill one's own book in threads like these? I've been considering throwing a novel I've been sitting on for a while up on Amazon and, frankly, my fellow fa/tg/uys are the only people I would particularly care sharing it with.
>>
File: 1611700408017.jpg (24 KB, 328x330)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>79751616
I'm mildly interested. It can't be any worse than some of the shit being recommended in here.
>>
>>79751395
Check out the savage tales of Solomen Kane Anon
>>
>>79746464
can you explain further? I have no idea what a mormon is
>>
>>79739823
Kvothe is cunning and all, but he's not roguish enough to be a rogue and not wizardish enough to be a wizard. He thinks he is hot shit AND that gets him rekt in a satisfactory way. He is also a moron with his absolutely abhorrent one-itis. His talent is his wits, but not much more.
>>
>>79735841
>Starts as a lighthearted adventure.
>proceeds to get into grimdark land
>actually cool vampires
>goes balls deep into /x/ territory
>dragons, knights, virgin devouring and (unfortunately ) elves
>ends up being a demon highschool 90's movie to wrap it up
A wizard's choice. It's easy to read, but it's kino
>>
>>79751616
I turned my novel into a CYOA. It was really well received. Once I finish the second novel, I may shill it here.
>>
>>79740856
tell me more about this memester
>>
>>79751675
I'm still waiting for my editor to finish and I need to commission some cover art, so it's not happening particularly soon.
If you want the quick gist, it's about a soldier who was willingly petrified in the distant past and then was suddenly re-awakened a millennia later. To make a real world analogy, it's like a guy from the fall of Rome getting sent forward to the Renaissance. It follows his attempts to adjust to the modern age while also trying to reconcile his motivations for being petrified in the first place.
>>
>>79750727
That's kind of fun and it works
>Most wizards learn to control their emotions so that it will not disrupt their focus.
>WILLPOWER wizards just unleash their sheer hatred to cast their spells and scream like it's a super robot mecha anime to fuel their ungodly powers
>>
>>79751859
I am interested in this actually, could be good
>>
>>79749346
Might be interesting.
>>79747255
How did Howard create Crom? Name is of a celtic god, but I think in the books Crom is based on Howard's personal believes, maybe?
>>79740404
>Glen Cook
I liked some of the Black Company books, Soulcatcher a waifu. But really, it's more that I would probably take the Taken as concept and use them for myself.
>>
>>79751845
What was the CYOA called?
>>
>>79751715
Cloistered sexuality. No sex before marriage, little actual understanding of how normal couples interact because their romance lacks that sexual tension.
>>
Okay here's a (close to) definitive list of best fantasy authors

Gene Wolfe
Tolkien
Jack Vance
Howard
Clarke Ashton Smith
Fritz Leiber
C. S. Lewis
Roger Zelazny
Poul Anderson
Michael Swanwick
Mayvin Peake
>>
>>79752070
Based
>>
I'm currently reading the book the False Prince with a friend. The next book we read is my choice. What WH40k novel would you recommend for a beginner? A friend recommended the Eisenhorn trilogy. I thought the Caiphas Cain novels might be good. I can only pick one book. What would you choose to get someone into 40k? Also taking other recs as well...
>>
>>79735841
Read more Pulps like Maxwell Grant, Wired Tales, Have gun will travel.
>>
File: Legend cover.jpg (242 KB, 624x1031)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
Now that we are all here reunited shitting on Rothfuss, please, read Legend, by David Gemmell, thank
>>
>>79752273
It's okay, but not great. He brought his prose down way too much for my taste, and I think he should have done a more archetype based character cast for the kind of story it is. But a lot of it was good, read the second one as well, but never tried the rest.
>>
>>79752070
>romance but no tiresome bullshit
So what's the problem?
>>
>>79752640
You've got it backwards. It's romance that's exclusively tiresome bullshit.
>>
>>79752666
>premarital sex is the only good part of romance
Nice numbers.
>>
File: Dan_Simmons_Ilium.jpg (41 KB, 190x290)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I picked this up recently because I read the first two Hyperion novels a few years back and really enjoyed them. I'm about halfway through and so far Ilium is more fantastical and a bit less serious than Hyperion. It's still quite good, though it lacks the really tight focus and gravitas of the cantos.

I think my favorite part so far is just the contrast between the classical Greeks and Trojans and the future civilizations. The clueless modern humans, milquestoast 20th century professor Hockenberry and the peaceful and cerebral Moravec cyborgs are quite different from each other, but none of them approach the ancients' passion and warlust. I've also enjoyed seeing some of the technology and themes from Hyperion developed further. The lurid descriptions of combat between mortals and even gods extrapolated from the Iliad are also fun, as is the witty sarcasm of the Moravecs.
>>
>>79736008
>is the best ever lute player
>is the best ever lyricist
>is the best ever weapon-maker
>is the best ever fighter
>is the best ever magician
>is the best ever at sex

I like the books, I think they’re comfy, but Kvothe is the fucking definition of a Gary Stu.
>>
>>79753320
I liked the first book a lot, but he lost me with the Hyperbolic Sex Chamber in book 2. I do enjoy all the big titty qts though.
>>
>>79752170
Eisenhorn, Cain books are fun but they don’t give you a great feel for the setting.

>>79746464
This is a problem in a lot of his earlier works, but Stormlight improves it a fair amount.
>>
>>79735870
Wandering Inn
Quality wise, it's like a 6/10, but the author puts out about 50k words a week, so you know. Quantity has a quality all of it's own. I'm willing to read something that is just 'decent' if there is enough of it that I can read it forever.

I recently finished Way of Kings. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I also recently tried to read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but I literally can't. It's too heavy for me. It just made me sad.
>>
>>79751395
>I just finished The hour of the dragon as well.
How did you like it.
I honestly found it a bit of a slog.
>>
>>79736003
None of this matters. Regardless of what happened to him in the end, the Kvothe in the story we're being told is a relentless Mary Sue who, as a virgin, sexed the thousand year old sexmurder goddess so good she couldn't bring him himself to kill him, then defeated her in a magic duel the first time he used a spell. The fact that the author puts one more layer of separation between himself and this god-awful story does not make it any better.
>>
>>79743557
>This shit story I've made up is actually a shit story that's been *made up* by a character I made up. That makes the story not shit.
>>
>>79750163
>and no one even mentioned the worst parts like Father-Mothers yet...
That's when the not-asians go on rants about there being no such thing as fathers just mothers because they're utter delusional retards who don't grasp biology even to the extent of primitive societies?
>>
>>79750492
>The first couple mistborn books were genuinely fucking atrocious. I couldn't stand the characters or his awkward depictions of them.
This.
He really improved in Stormlight Archive.
>>
>>79736008
>>79735841
>>
>>79751395
Tempted to get this for aesthetic purposes even though I already own the stories.
>>
>>79753469
>Wandering Inn
I really tried, because a friend of mine keeps on and fucking on about it, telling me that it gets better later, but I got like 500,000 words in and it was still intensely mediocre bordering on bad.
>>
>>79754282
>only 500k words
It starts getting good around maybe the 1.5m mark.
I tend to compare it to Malazan in terms of commitment. You just kind of accept that the first 1/5 of it is confusing nonsense and then it gets really good afterwards.
>>
>>79749029

Read children of the night. Howard wrote a lot of excellent horror stories as well
>>
>>79751715
Flyover State Jews.
>>
>>79752273
>>79752324
literally one of the most shittest books ive ever read
its 300 pages of a few guys defending a wall and its boring and badly written the entire way
>>
>>79736003
>>79737382
You've a book to write, Rothfuss. Get on it
>>
File: 324324.png (478 KB, 353x555)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
>>79735841
Diviner bros? Urban fantasy bros? What are we reading?
>>
>>79755216
If you want some real good urban fantasy I highly recommend The Girl With Ghost Eyes, really fantastic late 1800s Chinese-American UF set in San Francisco Chinatown.
>>
>>79755216
>Urban fantasy bros?
Do you guys know the Felix Castor series? Supernatural mistery novels written by Mike Carey, the author of Lucifer back in the Vertigo days.
>>
>>79755597
This is some good shit too. All those scenes with Juliet and her poor human sub gf, hubba hubba.
>>
/tg/ opinion on Dresden files?
>>
>>79755794
Very good UF, imo, particularly for how it actually works in Judeo-Christian belief in a non-cringe fashion. The complete absence of Christian "mythology" in settings with the Greek and Norse gods running around in the modern day is always baffling.
>>
>>79735841
Read some Myth series books by Robert Asprin.
>>
>>79735841
>Book 3
>Ever coming out

Why are you such a liar anon.
Rothfuss is getting high off of his own farts and even his editor and publishers have given up
>>
File: 1263785732555.gif (621 KB, 390x255)
621 KB
621 KB GIF
>>79736003
How the fuck is that book "overrated"? Everybody shit on it, and rightfully so.
>>
I can't believe I read the whole book. I thought something would happen, since it's so long, but I was fucking wrong. It doesn't even bother setting up anything interesting.
If you liked Name of the Wind, please say so at the end of every post on this board.

>>79738206
>>79750727
>>79746696
>Sword of Truth
I liked the show in my early teens, so I wanted to try the book now. Is it even worth it?
>>
>>79750163
>He had a mental breakdown, made a crying rant video post months after where he said he couldn't write his book unless one president got impeached, and went into therapy because his idol, a wife of a former president, lost an election in 2016.

Sauce? Interested in seeing this video.
>>
>>79750251
Why was Orcs bad? I've heard people recommend it before
>>
File: Sojiro let me explain.png (77 KB, 650x822)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>79756997
It's not necessarily super bad, just not good.
It's shovelware that made it to the shelves in the wake of the LotR movies getting people to read fantasy.
It's the book equivalent to fast food; you'll be entertained while you read, but you won't retain shit from it after putting it down.
>>
>>79735841
Finally getting around to reading the Wheel of Time books. It is a bit of a slog, but I like the world and concepts and I feel like it's required reading since I'm aspiring to get my own fantasy works published.
>>
>>79751907
I think the Black Castle from the second book would make for a fantastic scenario to run.
>>
>>79753194
Came here just to plug this book. I love the disparity between all different cultures and characters, and the implications of the worlds' histories that are gradually built up between the two books.
>>
>>79746445
>thinking Nynaeve is the one who does the fucking
Anon, the fourth book has a scene where Lan just pins her to a wall and kisses her so hard and so long that she goes from a tantrum and fighting to leglock. And one of the later books explicitly states that Lan literally kept her in the bedroom all morning just to fuck her over and over again.

Lan is the one who does the fucking, and given how he broke the tsundere out of her with it, he does it well.

Although at one point she was complaining that he didn't take enough advantage of his husband's rights for her liking since they married in Sea Folk tradition and part of the deal is that whoever gives orders in public must take them in private. Any order. And Nynaeve gives orders in public.
>>
>>79755794
Really fun ride, just so long as magefag doesn't see you trying to discuss it.
>>
I'm reading The Way of Kings because some guy on Quora recommended it to be read first. Is bretty good.
How are the other books?
>>
>>79758059
The second one manages to top the first, but sometimes takes a long time to get to the point. Third one has a climax that is pure anime kino with that book's focus character. Fourth I was less impressed by.
>>
File: 1614021784425.png (482 KB, 901x632)
482 KB
482 KB PNG
>>79740856
>bakker
>>
>>79758059
>>79758095
I agree, 3 > 2 > 1 > 4. 4 is still a good read, but definitely suffers a bit from clearly being the "build up to the finale" book and both the Navani and Venli storylines are a little meh. People who are Cosmere autists like myself will get more out of 4 but it's by no means required to read any of Sanderson's other stuff to read and enjoy Stormlight.
>>
>>79757300
Nice, enjoy. I just finished a re-read and I felt the series does hold up very well, even with a lot of the "women, am I right"/"men, am I right" tropes being dated. Mat, Nynaeve, and (book 4/5 spoiler) Birgitte are some of my favorite fantasy characters.
>>
>>79757300
I'll warn you ahead of time - WoT is mediocre, doubly so if you've read a lot of fantasy. It's not bad /tg/ material, though.
>>
>>79758515
I think it's a mixed bag, books ~2-5 are genuinely a really excellent ride, but then the middle sags badly for a lot of characters (though some are still enjoyable).
>>
>>79736227
I read the entire series over the course of a year.
Having 3 books in front of me so I could cross reference events from earlier books to the one in front of me is something I haven't done since college.
I was deeply impressed.
>>
>>79740533
>Rothfuss has literally written Kvothe as a cuckold, his love interest gets railed by other men but he doesn't mind because she only loves and cuddles with him. He wrote it into the novel.
His love interest, not his wife, or even his fucking girlfriend.
She's a thot he's been suckered in to, and your hyperbole verging on losing grip on the English language doesn't even approach the actual issues with the book.
>>
>>79750492
>>79754094
I wouldn't even say they were that bad, just...basic, really.
Good starter books for someone getting in to fantasy.
>>
>>79758805
I'll say this. Sometimes all you need is a basic bitch book as a pallet cleanser. Never read Sanderson but sometimes I read some average books just to let myself reset from the better ones
>>
>>79758902
Sanderson isn't everyone's tea, but he is one of, if not the foremost fantasy author of our time.
His worldbuilding is such that I recommend other would be GMs his books to show them how it ought to be done.
It's his interpersonal relationships that are wooden and stilted, but his worlds are fucking great.
>Sazh literally hulking out and smashing monsters for a day and night was like orgasming after edging for hours
>>
>>79758992
I just wanna see Vivenna and Vasher bust up some Surgebinders man
>>
>>79759187
I think you will, good chap.
I think you will.
>>
>>79746464

It explained so much when I found out that he is a mormon. Still enjoy most of his work though.
>>
>>79759208
I have high hopes for Book 5, blue balled to hell first with Book 3 cutting away from her right before she uses Awakening and then Book 4 not showing her at all or having Vasher help out during the siege. Feels like we're finally getting there, at least.
>>
>>79759187
Vasher trolling the shit out of Kaladin by cheating in a laundry fight with 10th Heightening level Awakening in book 4 wasn’t enough for you?
>>
>>79758465
>even with a lot of the "women, am I right"/"men, am I right" tropes being dated
I’d suggest that some of the calling out of the Aes Sedai sitting in their phallic ivory tower on a vagina island fucking about for most of the series is remarkably current, anon.
>>
>>79759600
It was a nice start, but what I was really hoping for was him coming through the wall kool-aid man style during one of Kaladin's fights and dunking on the Singers despite the power shutdown because Awakening wasn't affected. Would have been hype, but I guess he was with the army instead.
>>
File: bakker tits.jpg (903 KB, 1125x1037)
903 KB
903 KB JPG
>>79740856
Bakkerchad reporting in.
>>
>>79735841
FUCK YOU FOR REMINDING ME OF THIS SHIT-SACK AUTHOR.

Fuckwit promised the trilogy was already written coming on 15 fucking years ago, promised I'd get to read book two and three in the two years following the firsts release, and today he is still being a professional fucking begar holding any possibility of seeing his story finished hostage until the entire fucking world donates to his charity and even when that seems to have actually happened he only posts photos of the manuscript sitting on his desk?! fuck this liberal cocksucking faggot.
The only redeeming quality he had was a talent for alliteration, the guy is good at playing with words to paint a pretty picture, but his story is certainly not good enough to sit by and watch him fellate himself for 15 fucking years on a project that was supposedly finished from the start.
I hope the wachowski brothers get to rape his story with some half-assed pc script that ruins any glimmer of fame he ever had.
>>
>>79758992
Eh, his world building is kinda hit or miss for me. I really like how alien it is at times and appreciate how coherent it is despite that. But also there's a lot of moments where it feels like he's trying a bit too hard to be fresh and unique and I was just left thinking "Uh, sure, okay".
>>
>>79750492
I enjoyed the mistborn trilogy, it was no serious fantasy romp, but his world was welll built and I still can't tell you if the upper class was black or the lower class was white, but I kind of got that impression? certainly had me scratching my head over that the whole time.
>>
>>79736227
Woof
I thoroughly enjoyed the series but goddamn if i didn't forget who half the people were by 8-9-10

Books 4-5 might have been my favorite
>>
>>79736227
Doing my first reread, on the third as well. Its better the second time around because you know what to pay attention to and have an idea what's happening.
>>
>>79760734
I will say, one thing I really liked about The Black Company was the simple, plain language names for everyone and everywhere has in the Books of the North. Keeps you from getting from jumbled with names while everyone is being introduced.
>>
>>79760589
tbfair if Kvothe were gay that would preempt a lot of awful things that happen later down the line.
Might be for the best, really/
>>
>>79760891
Fucking love the black company, really enjoy the grittiness of the soldiers, kinda wish croaker had gotten with soulcatcher instead of lady though, too bad silent ended up splitting off from the group too.
>>
>>79760933
If Kvothe were gay the story would never have been popular enough for me to be pissed off at a reminder of it's existence.
Also given that has fuck all to do with my comment I do believe you replied to wrong anon.
>>
>>79753320
great lyricist and lute player are default race perks.
He is high tier at magic but not that great. He literally gets overpowered by a school dropout. He is a decent fighter, great only among mid tier warriors, and sex... he literally was taught by a higher spirit. He is not that great, mostly luck+wits
>>
>>79752731
Completely ignoring sexuality as a component to most romance is like ordering a full course but only eating the salad. It's not all there is but to ignore it exists entirely is immersion breaking when extensive context and elaboration is given to why these idiots eat fucking metal.
>>
>>79735841
Been listening to this one recently, it's been pretty good so far
>>
The greatest honor for me as a writer would be for my book to end up posted in these threads. Wish me luck friends.
>>
Are there any books about a dwarf or group of dwarves going around doing dwarf things?
>inb4 The Hobbit
>>
>>79740404
I was really into Night Angel back in high school, so when Beyond the Shadows released, I blazed through it in one day. Such a shame that the Lightbringer novels didn't hold that same magic for me.
>>
>>79756954
So I read it when I was in middle school or early high and had mixed feelings. Like I mostly liked it, but does every conflict need to involve someone almost getting raped (or actually getting raped), the prose itself didn't stick out, etc.
Recently tho I've found bits of it's writing online and holy shit is it bad, I would not recommend revisiting it if you liked it as a kid.
>>
>>79761541
I actually do love Lightbringer still (haven't read the last yet though), and I do think they're 'better' from a critical standpoint. A little more adult writing, absolutely sweet setting and magic, but I have to say Night Angel is the real magic for me, I just love the characters so much, and how absolutely dark the books start out. Kylar, Durzo, Momma K, Elene, and Dorian are incredibly baller, those books have the best dialogue too for a fun fantasy read.
>>
>>79760957
Yeah I just read the first black company like last week, I was super impressed by how unique the writing style was among pulp fantasy type stuff. Can't get enough of Croaker's attitude and their great nicknames, it's a good gimmick.
Also, had the book lying out on vacation, and my friend goes 'whos reading about minority owned businesses?' Had me on the floor when I realized he was talking about my book.
>>
File: 1608954065691.jpg (194 KB, 912x1192)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>79762822
>does every conflict need
I'm gonna go with yes
Too bad about it not being up to scratch
>>
>>79743557
>I was only pretending to be retarded! Aren't your expectations... subverted!?
This post-irony culture needs to die a gruesome, bloody death.
>>
>>79758593
This. Him simping for the femme fatale is not even treated as smart or the height of romance in the books.
>>79750251
This post explains some things to me, I've been weirded out by the extreme reaction against Rothfuss in this thread, but only read Name so far, and only recently. Thought it was a fun read, and I liked sympathy magic.
>>
>>79762918
Yeaaaah, at first I was like maybe this magic leather bdsm torture bitch isn't so bad, but after attempted rape number 50 you just go hmm, didn't enjoy your poorly written magical realm.
>>
File: in the land of time.jpg (512 KB, 998x1538)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>>79735841
I've been reading the pic related collection and I am shocked I hadn't read it sooner. I basically started with Lovecraft and then started moving out around his contemporaries and inspirations: Chambers, Machen, and now Dunsany. The sheer scope of Dunsany's imagination is fantastic. The The Gods of Pegana is essentially a Bible for a made-up religion in a made-up world, full of its own parables and prophets, which I cannot wait to tear to shreds and shamelessly steal from for my own worldbuilding. His dream series closely, CLOSELY mirrors Lovecraft's (which came soon after), and is equally fantastic--less horror but more sadness. Dunsany deals often with loss and the intractableness of time, whereas Lovecraft focused more on the weird and scary. Also The Relenting of Sarnidac may be my favorite short story ever.

I feel uncultured in that I have not yet really read much Poe--at least not the stuff I didn't already read in school. He looms over Lovecraft constantly. I'll get there. I'm sure I'll love it.
>>
>>79762905
>whos reading about minority owned businesses?
My sides!
But if you literally just picked it up I'll have to stop or I'm just going to be dropping spoilers all over, I read the series back in the 90's as a kid to start and have reread it a bunch.
>>
File: 1597018501156.jpg (541 KB, 1600x2288)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>79763009
Yeah no wonder I liked watching this as a teen
>>
>>79763067
Haha if you spoiler tag I'll try and avoid it, ready to come back to tg after I finish the first batch though.
But yeah they seem like good re-reads, I'm a sucker for that. I'm Brent Weeks enjoyer anon as well and I must have read night angel like 8 or more times in the last 10 years. Sometimes it drives me crazy that I'm not reading something new but whatever.
>>
>>79763206
Yeah it's pretty fun but when you take a step back the plot is fairly retarded. Jesus that looks like such a classic low budget made for tv garbage in pic though.
>>
>>79763289
I'm too lazy to spoiler tag, but I'll say this, I picked it up because my grandpa recommended it because he and other guys he knew from the korean war really appreciated the realism of a soldiers point of view, even if it is in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>79763206
How have I never heard of a show with this much plot?!
>>
>>79762983
Yes, Name of the Wind is quite good & the main backlash against Rothfuss comes from Wise Man's Fear, which basically didn't advance the plot at all and had a lot more self-inserty stuff, followed by years of it being clear that Rothfuss isn't working on the 3rd book at all. I personally don't care if it ever comes out, but I probably won't read it when it does.
>>
>>79763030
I fucking love Dunsany's portrayal(s) of Time. Brutal.
>>
>>79764903
I think he knows that after all he's done releasing the third book would just allow everyone to move on and after the experience they've had noone is going to invest themselves in anything else he writes after it.
>>
>>79765289
Poor Karnith Zo, who upon realizing that everything beautiful that faded and every person who died of old age died at the hands of Time, went on a crusade against Him for His crimes.

>The King went... to his armies, and pointed toward the castle on the hill and told them that at last they had found the Enemy of the Earth... and they went across the fields and passed the village. From one of his towers Time eyed them all the while, and in battle order they closed in on the steep hill as Time sat still in his great tower and watched.
>But as the feet of the foremost touched the edge of the hill Time hurled five years against them, and the years passed over their heads and the army still came on, an army of older men. But the slope seemed steeper to the King and to every man in his army, and they breathed more heavily. And Time summoned up more years, and one by one he hurled them at [the King] Karnith Zo and at all his men. And the knees of the army stiffened, and the beards grew and turned grey, and the hours and days and the months went singing over their heads, and their hair turned whiter and whiter, and the conquering hours bore down, and the years rushed on and swept the youth of that army clear away till they came face to face under the walls of the castle of Time with a mass of howling years, and found the top of the slope too steep for aged men. Slowly and painfully, harassed with agues and chills, the King rallied his aged army that tottered down the slope.
>Slowly the King led back his warriors over whose heads had shrieked the triumphant years. Year in, year out, they straggled southwards, always towards Zoon [their nation]; they came, with rust upon their spears and long beards flowing, again into Astarma [the capitol], and none knew them there.

Time's pretty metal.
>>
>>79765323
Yup, if he wants to stay relevant he's pretty strongly incentivized never to release the third book.
>>
>>79765746
It's sad really, if he had released the third book years ago before that short story with the girl he'd be a lot more popular. his story was good, just not good enough to make it through all his crap and attitude.
>>
>>79744923

i found it very boring, the dialogue incredibly bland and the story went nowhere for two books.

i dont care that he manages to accomplish whatever and it's not clever if he lies a lot. I can do the same thing right now and it doesnt make me a good writer.

"HELLO." said I, Bull S. Hitter, smirking at the orc, "I AM THE BEST SWORDSMAN ALIVE, AND I FUCKED YOUR MOM." The orc was so shocked by this he blew Bull right there, a buck truly broken.
"And do you believe my story?" said Bull, looking at the young traveler. "Wow I most certainly do, and I'm a nigger!" said the traveler.

Anyone who criticizes this story cannot judge it by its racist language, lazy prose, trite naming conventions or anything else. Bull is an unreliable narrator, so therefore, it's a deeply ironic, clever, post-modern work. I'm a genius, deal with it.
>>
File: 61azjPqCENL._SL500_.jpg (74 KB, 500x500)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
probably shouldnt admit that I like Warhammer fiction but the complete retardation of the Skaven in every endeavor they take on is bizarrely charming.

literally "I am a genius! Oh no!" over and over and it didn't get old.

>ha ha! the humans are so scared they're charging right for my ambush!
>ha ha! they're so scared they accidentally killed four guys!
>ha...ha two of my men tactically leapt into the river to avoid them
>ha...huhhhhhh im running the fuck away because its...uh... a tactical retreat, yes!
>>
>>79761541
>>79762856
My niggas
>>
>>79766982
Sounds like the Cersei POV chapters in Game of Thrones.

>"My queen, please don't do that thing you're about to do, it's totally retarded."
>"You're disagreeing with me? How could you plot against me like this! Guards! Seize this man, then do the retarded thing!"

Later:

>"Everything is horrible, how could this be? Surely this is the result of additional foul plots, I've never failed to do The Most Retarded Thing Possible In A Given Situation. I need to jail more of my counselors."
>>
File: 1617922978946.jpg (70 KB, 850x600)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>79767106
If Cersei had looked like this all that bullshit would've been cute though.
>>
File: 1617813045345.png (1021 KB, 1128x1280)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
>>79766982
>>
>>79767106

Yes but also:

>seven lannistar guards charged the great gate and got stuck inside the store, their armor linking together slightly and preventi ng them from attacking. ned stared at them and started stabbing the defenseless men one at a time, completely perplexed

>tyrion's wildfire worked but then also the wildfire burned down all of kings landing, especially all of the grain stocks and all of the places where city guardsmen slept

>The red wedding goes off without a hitch but the freys decide to kill two birds with one stone and start killing the other turncoats. At the same time. Also many of the turncoats warned robb stark in advance for no reason whatsoever. the entire assassination attempt turns into a wild mad rush of butchery and violence and accomplishes none of its goals.

Like I cannot emphasize how insanely retarded the Skaven are. Cersei letting the religious retards re-arm themselves is pretty low on skaven retardation

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.