[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Cleric.jpg (54 KB, 400x527)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Clerics kinda suck in AD&D
How can I maximize my clerics utility without being an asshole rule lawyer?
The blunt weapons don't even do 1d8 damage.
>>
Have you tried not playing DnD?
>>
>>79732527
Have you tried giving decent advice?
>>
>>79732497
Ok your doing it wrong, Go specialty priest Salune. Well have you tried any other game other than DND. If problems still continue maybe its you.
>>
>>79732497
well there was a reason why the divine classes were buffed in 3e.
Nobody wanted to play a cleric for a reason.
>>
>>79732598
I just did. You being too retarded to recognize it is your problem, not mine.
>>
>>79732640
I usually have paladin or fighter but my stats were ass and we have no caster or healer.
>>
>>79732497
By and large they really don't, if they do it's probably because you're worshipping a deity that disallows armor or something. In fact, they are easily the -most- versatile base class. Just by getting armored spellcasting you are already OP early game. Try preparing Protection From Evil one of those days when you're no longer lvl1. Once you have enough spare space after heals to keep people from outright dying, your turns are better spent casting that and Bless/Bane.

>The blunt weapons don't even do 1d8 damage.
If that is your main problem with your offense, you have a lot to learn about the system. More troubling will be the fact that you get mediocre thac0 and can't specialize, so you will never hit anything through either accuracy or volume of attacks. There are spells you can use like Flame Blade, ways to get more attacks like dual wielding, and general combat stuff like Charge Action you can use to somewhat improve your odds, but a fighter will most definitely run away with the offense as you level, especially from lvl7 up. The way it should be.
>>
>>79732950
I will take this to mean you don't even have 16 wis, as it happens in AD&D. Well, no shit, not having 2 spell slots is a pretty big diference. With cleric stats and one Cure Light Wounds you will indeed be a discount fighter because you are not, in fact, a caster.

One thing you -do- still have, however, is Priest proficiencies, which are pretty unique. Chances are you're the only party member that can read and write.
>>
>>79732497
You are not the main damage giver. You are usually the HP replenisher and undead turner. Everyone has fixed roles in D&D, know your place.
>>
File: Iuz04.jpg (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>79732497
If you are focussed on just dealing out more damage, stuff the healing spells, worship an evil god and focus on combat magic - boost you chance of hitting with bless, shillelagh, the various inflict wounds spells, hold person and coup de grace, cause blindness, disease or death, animate the corpses of your enemies and send them in front of you, etc. Using your little metal club should be a last resort.
>>
>>79732527
>>79732724
No, you really didnt.
You just keep being anally annihilated that no one wants to play with you.
>>
>>79732497
Also, check out https://regalgoblins.com/spells.php?sphere=All . There is a high probability you don't actually know all your options because priests just get all their spells at the start and they don't remember them all. Did you know you get attack spells? Like these:
Magical Stone (Combat)
Sunscorch (Sun)
Spiritual Hammer (lvl2, Combat)
Dust Devil (lvl2, Elemental-Air)
Heat Metal (lvl2, Elemental-Fire)
Produce Flame (lvl2, Elemental-Fire)

If you get none of those, then you're probably worshipping some really lame buttbro god that has neither Combat nor Sun. Even Pelor, the most boring god in FR, has Sun and Plants, so he lets you cast Entangle and Sunscorch at lvl1. Get creative with what you've got.

Oh yeah, if you insist on using a club, Shillelagh might be cool for you as well, if you get Plants.
>>
>>79732497
Play as a priest of disease, and instead use lay on hands as a spell of harm to deal 2x your ECL. It’s pretty good once you hit level 5 or so
>>
>>79733053
Good advice anon.
I haven't ever played a cleric before so I'm not too well versed in the spells and specializations they receive.
>>
>>79733202
(Note: Some of those spells are not core but you should be able to recognize those pretty easily. Plenty of deities in base WotC settings give hipster spheres like numbers, though, so a lot of spells there that are not exactly core 'exist'. The way that new spells were added later tended to be by putting them into a hipster sphere rather than retroactively giving all priests of Ilmater a new tool they didn't have before)
>>
>>79732497
Have you tried playing D&D 4e?
>>
>>79732497
Have you tried playing Pathfinder 2e?
>>
>>79733327
>>79733336
Might be good for later but we're playing 1e ad&d now.
>>
>>79733345
>1e
...Why?

If that's the case, there is no soul on this board that can help you. Nobody has played 1e, everybody has played 2e.
>>
>>79733146
I'm quite content with nobody wanting to play DnD with me, DnD is a shit game.

I will continue to have fun playing superior games like Ars Magica with my friends and seeing DnDrones like (you) project your inadequacies on your superiors.
>>
>>79732497
1e or 2e?

If 1e, be a multiclass abhuman, since multiclassing here is much more of "everything either class could use, goes" kind of a deal. A Fighter/Cleric is, in fact, able to use any weapon in 1e (the blunt-only restriction is explicitly lifted), while a Cleric/Mage is able to cast both Cleric and MU spells in heavy armor (though this time it's more implicit than explicit, by way of Fighter/Mage being able to do so), which just rocks.

In 2e, neither of the above works, but in return you get the breadth of kit, specialty clergies, and still enough multiclass shenanigans. To be frank, a Fighter/Cleric multiclass is still great in melee with "just" a flail, because a weapon specialization makes more of a difference than a bit higher damage die does (and percentile strength is an even bigger advantage, but one that you apparently couldn't access anyways). Complete Priest's specialty priests aren't all that (but some are pretty good either as a non-stat-demanding "discount fighter", or alternatively, a quirky "discount mage"), but some other splats aren't forgotten for having realms of borked strong priests. Power creep is real.

Alternatively, just ask to play a Crusader. These aren't broken, really, just on a solid and somewhat front-loaded chassis that doesn't scale that well with good stats or high levels, but can reliably deliver without either.

Don't forget to post your experiences!
>>
>>79732982
>Chances are you’re the only party member who can read and write
Why is ADnD so shit?
>>
>>79732993
That’s 3.5 Anon, ADnD clerics restore minimal HP 1/day and hit worse than a fighter in every other situation
>>
>>79732982
>only one who can read or write
I didn't see that anywhere in the players handbook.
My int is 12 so I'm not terribly clever and others are on par with that. Why wouldn't they be able to read or write?
>>
>>79733449
Sometimes I forget that optimization was positively in that edition. Doesn’t a multiclass slow leveling by, like, a lot though?
>>
>>79733528
People couldn’t read or write by default in that edition, class based. Or using skill proficiency rules which I think were variant.
>>
>>79733504
Education is a luxury of the modern age.

Read/Write costing fighters and rogues 2 proficiency points is one thing about AD&D I'll readily admit to being retarded, though. Especially since some Rogues get Read Languages... But being able to read in the first place is somewhat unlikely. You have like 7 points, you sure that's what you are spending two of them on rather than swimming and another language?
>>
>>79733550
Not really, because XP is not linear. You will be about one level behind others in each of your classes individually.
>>
>>79733449
>>79733345

DESU, just being a body who can throw out a spell even once per day, and can frontline perfectly fine (as opposed to the thieves and magic users who do their thing occasionally and then suck; the cleric is not only better armoured than a thief, but actually has better THAC0 as well), is by itself great in 1e. You will die a lot, but so do fighters, and so does anyone (though rangers are kinda bad at dying). Old D&D, up to 1e, is a numbers' game — that is, you brave the dungeon by throwing numbers of people at it, disposable NPCs and disposable PCs alike.

If you want to get a bit more mileage out of your spellcasting, however, then take note of two first-level spells in particular: Light and Command. Light has been abused enough that by 1e, "cast it on eyeballs" became an officially recognized use of the spell — so it's a pretty straightforward save-or-suck. Not in the same league as Sleep, of course, but Sleep is an outlier. Command, meanwhile, takes some creativity to use, but is also quite versatile (and in 1e, works on low-HD low-Int enemies without a save, to compensate for not working at all on creatures that can't understand or hear you). It work s particularly well if you can afford some preparations and carry various items that work well with it. I remember downing an ogre with a barrel of dwarven mead and a repeated "Drink!" Command. Good times, good times.

If your party is inclined enough to treat combat as war and avoid fair fights, you can also get some mileage out of using Putrefy food and drink (reversed version of Purify) to sabotage food supplies.

Finally, while 2e's Complete Priest's specialty priests are definitely lowballed compared to default 2e cleric or later supplements, it's that toothlessness that might help you talk your DM into allowing the book for use with 1e. If all you want is a cleric who swords, or tricksters, or charms animals (very helpful) while being a better frontliner than a druid, go for it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.