[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mitsubashi.jpg (137 KB, 800x1200)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
Why the hate?
>>
>>79726720
Why did he outlive Robert Jordan?
>>
>>79726740
Robert Jordan sucked, let's be honest about it.
>>
>>79726751
But he was miles better than Martin.
>>
>>79726763
Maybe.

It doesn't answer the initial question though.
>>
>>79726720
Why not?
>>
I like his world building but I am stuck in some unforgiving loop in one of his books where his lolicon is stuck working in kitchens or something.

His kind of Autism should be forced to write RPG books, but I should never have to read about his DMPC.
>>
File: no god.jpg (21 KB, 960x539)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>79726720
How come a genius like Kentaro Miura dies at age 54 but this fat hack still draws breath at 72? What a gay reality.
>>
>>79726799
Because writing manga is terrible for your health.
>>
>>79726790
yeah but why not not then?
>>
File: gtvgm.png (426 KB, 733x792)
426 KB
426 KB PNG
>>
>>79726792
Arya's Bizarre and Horrific Adventure in Harrenhall are pretty kino though. If I'm not mistaken, this is where she meets Jaqen.
>>
>>79726799
Miura overworked himself to death because of his perfectionism.
Grr Martin hasn't worked a day in his life.
>>
>>79726799
Because nip work culture is absolute hell
>>
>>79726720
He's a GURPS player.
>>
>>79726850
yeah bro but you can take the same past, invert Martin's and Tolkien's name, and it still just a pasta proving nothing.
>>
File: icus1g6htnt21.png (456 KB, 828x626)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
>>79726720
Several reasons. Mostly it's people who never read the books or watched the show but hate him anyways because hating Popular Thing(tm) is how you let 4chan know you're cool. Usually they'll throw in some tired out opinion about how he's edgy and subversive for the sake of it. Then for those of us who have read his books, we're all frustrated because fatso has been working on this series for almost thirty years and he keeps blueballing us with TWoW and ADoS. He's a liberal hippy, which of course draws ire here. And he's also said a few things about how his writing differs from Tolkien, and anything that can be interpreted as a slight against the Hobbitfather is Haram on /tg/.

Add onto the fact the show's last season exhausted even the normies' goodwill towards the series and you have a perfect storm of Things /tg/ Hates. I wasn't really around this board before the show premiered, but I feel like people here probably talked up his books a lot when it was just a semi-obscure pop fantasy novel series.
>>
>>79726872
Are you trying to cause a time paradox?
>>
>>79726913
the more she drank the more she shat
>>
File: 1581444908683.png (111 KB, 293x265)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>79726720
I'm sure he's a nice enough person, I just don't really like his books.
A lot of his stuff just feels mean spirited the same way an edgy manga does, and I feel like he wrote himself into a corner with his last book.
Its like how a lot of modern science fiction doesn't have the same love and affection for the genre as classical science fiction.
>>
>>79726799
Martin will probably go out the same way, dying before he finally finishes that damn series.
>>
Read the first book, watched the show up to season 4 but that was all long ago so my memory is fuzzy.
He built an interesting world, but it seemed to me like a world that wanted to be grounded and 'realistic' while failing at it. I guess that's just a sign of it's age, seems like general knowledge about history has increased significantly over the last 20 years with the internet making it easier to access and share such information.

Dunno, I'm not sure why anyone would hate him except for the fat fuck not finishing his books. I can see people disliking his work, especially due to how much it got jacked off years ago. That's about it.
>>
>>79727094
He's clearly planning on it.
>>
>>79727017
Ironically, his best shit was the Beauty and The Beast tv series with Ron Perlman.
>>
>>79726799
Miura worked himself to death. Martin will probably eat himself to death in a few years though.
>>
>>79726854
Yeah but it feels like a poorly written hellmaze. It bogs down really hard. And has lots of long boring rants in it.
>>
>>79726872
No, you are wrong, and shut your mouth.
>>
File deleted.
>4th book gets too long
>decides to split it into two books
>the first one follows secondary/side characters and isn't that great
>the next book is actually going to follow some of the main characters, so it should be better

>next book somehow manages to be worse, and clearly shows that Martin has lost his passion for the series

It's hard to point at where the series had its peak, but I think somewhere around Reek is where it jumped the shark.
>>
>>79726850
What a big dumb rant.
>>
>>79726867
Nah.
His writing and worldbuilding betray pretty clearly the AD&D2 player.
If he was an actual gurpsfag:
>no retarded Faeurun-tier anachronisms would be present such as 16th century cultures living next to iron age cultures
>the pointlessly long description would focus on armor, architecture and bows in autistic detail instead of food
>there would be more grappling, way too much grappling
>instead of being special magical unbeatable art, fencing would be nothing special
>Arya would fail to do most of the feats she tries to do and die, because she's a small girl and gurps tends to be brutal towards the physically weak
>Tywin would be beheaded before the books start, because of everybody's disadvantages and because of his reputation as an asshole traitor provoke them into offing him immediately even if it means more war
>instead of Martin's obsession with scat and whores you'd have Pulver's libidinous catgirls
>>
>>79727268
I think his passion died out when he realized the narrative is just way too big for him at this point. Turning Cersei into a PoV character really shows how his ideas kind of outpaced his work ethic and the plot has completely run away from him. Fortunately, his protege Dan Abraham seems to have learned from this and limits his side character PoV chapters to one-and-dones for each book. I can't imagine how much of a mess the Expanse would be if Anna and Havelock became staple PoV characters.
>>
>>79727291
He's spoken repeatedly about him being a GURPS player.
>>
>>79726720
I thought this was ralph bakshi
>>
>>79726720
No one like hubris and he has it in spades. His work is average at best and he has repeated claimed to be on the same level as Tolkien, hell he even stole the RR. It has been years since his last book which he is not half way done, which killed off the TV show as well.
>>
>>79726720
This is off topic anon
>>
>>79726720
He's popular. Every other reason is just cope from jealous crabs.
>>
>>79727465
>and he has repeated claimed to be on the same level as Tolkien
No he hasn't.
>>
>>79728018
>GRRM: Tolkien liked epic, mythology style fantasy but I like to write more nitty-gritty stuff
>/tg/:holy fuck the absolute NERVE of this hack saying he's greater than Tolkien
>>
File: 3644625-6913_600.jpg (322 KB, 1214x933)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>A Dream of Spring finally comes out
>The White Walkers are laying siege to Winterfell
>A resurrected Jon is going mad as he weathers the fight, trying to figure out how to beat the WWs and their wights.
>Mel tells him she found a passageway leading deep beneath the crypts. Suggests he go there maybe the first Kings of Winter left some knowledge behind.
>Jon goes deep, deep down underground.
>There he finds a massive, ancient weirwood tree.
>The ghost of Ygritte appears.
>But it's not actually Ygritte, it's the weirwood, taking a form he would respond well to.
>"Ygritte" explains it is the First Heart Tree, impossibly old, and has existed there since the Beginning.
>TFHT tells Jon it created the White Walkers as a check against humanity. Whenever mankind is about to completely destroy the natural order, the Tree sends the White Walkers to wipe them out and reset the cycle.
>But Jon's presence has altered its perspectives.
>Tells Jon he can end the cycle, and bring about a new order. He has three choices.
>He can burn down the Tree, destroying the WWs and all undead. This will kill Jon, as he is also technically undead.
>He can merge with the tree, killing his physical body but he will have complete control over the White Walkers.
>Or he can sacrifice his essence to the tree to meld White Walker with human, creating a new super lifeform that will never know war.
>No matter what he chooses, Winterfell blows up.
>>
File: cringebomb.jpg (14 KB, 421x519)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>79728302
>>
>>79726720
>His books are popular
>GOT was really popular
>GOT became really shit
>He still hasn't finished Winds of Winter
>His books have a lot of deliberately awkward scenes that are easy to meme (fat pink mast, sunset found her squatting, myriam swamp)
Choose any of them
>>
>>79728625
And the dumb quote about Tolkien, cant forget that one
>>
>>79727465
>he has repeated claimed to be on the same level as Tolkien

Go on, prove it. Pro-tip: you can't.
>>
>>79726720
Spends more time bitching about the Jets (trash football team) on his blog than writing Winds of Winter.
>>
Because he's hate a fantasy series going on for thirty plus years that he won't finish, no matter how many times people ask and bug him he won't seem to get any closer. Now he's more interested in tv.shows than writing.

I personally don't like him because of his lame attempts to revolt against Tolkien. He thinks he's super realistic but his works are.cartoonish.
>>
>>79726720
Finished writing for Elden Ring before he finished Winds of Winter.
>>
>>79726720
Some valid criticisms mixed with the typical rabid contrarianism you get on 4chan.
>>
>>79726799
Jap work culture's fucking brutal, and loads of people either die of overwork or off themselves when they can't take the strain anymore.
>>
>>79726720
He's a straight white male. That's all the reason I need to hate him.
>>
File: 1621425288907.jpg (334 KB, 849x1200)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>79729024
Why does it matter if he doesn't finish it? They can just hire the guy who finished the Dune or Wheel of Time series to crank out a final novel in 6 months.
>>
>>79726720
FINISH THE WINDS OF WINTER ALREADY YOU OLD FUCKKKKKKK
>>
File: 1601307875279.jpg (34 KB, 739x415)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
I've been watching some of his interviews and they way he talks about the LOTR/Silmarillion really makes me think that he's done with the series. Like he doesn't consider ASOIAF novels to be his greatest creation but the world of Westeros is.
>>
>>79730095
He's very obviously in love with the world he's made but I don't think he has any passion for the story he's writing in it.

He should've stuck with his original idea for a trilogy with long time skips between each book.
>>
>>79727465
The RR was to differentiate himself from the manager of the Beatles. Source: he told me in 1975 when I asked about it. I met him because he workshopped manuscripts for an SF class I took from Joe Haldeman. Check out Armageddon Rag. It’s a fun read with a nod to Tolkien.
>>
>>79726799
Gurm's been working with Miyazaki, so he's probably gonna die soon too
>>
>>79726720
He won't write the last book.
>>
>>79730137
Assuming you're actually a greybeard who did these things, what was Haldeman like?
>>
>>79726792
>I like his world building
His "world building" is literally copy-pasting European history onto an overly large England, then filling in the rest of the map with other peoples ideas.
>>
>>79726720
He was popular for a while and he's not perfect. That's enough for 4chan to hate on anyone.
>>
>>79726720
I don’t like his overall stories but that man can string sentences together masterfully, so that should be commended.
>>
>>79730305
>The history of the valerians and all the spooky implied lore blocks your path
>>
I think he should dump the "main" series and just write novellas or histories. Dunk and Egg is the superior line.
>>
>>79726850
/thread.
Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Tolkien for GOAT
>>
>>79726913
>I wasn't really around this board before the show premiered, but I feel like people here probably talked up his books a lot when it was just a semi-obscure pop fantasy novel series.
You'd be wrong
>>
>>79726720
I'm unclear on his tax policy
>>
>>79726720
Popular bad.
>>
File: 1622754534139.jpg (30 KB, 474x474)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>79726720
Because Martin thinks he's Tolkien's peer, someone he can "quibble with".
>>
>>79726872
>Tolkien is derivative of Martin

Makes perfect sense, retard.
>>
>>79731976
>worshiping tolkien like a god
Cringe as fuck, and I don't even like Martin.
>>
>>79732043
nice hyperbole faggot
>>
>>79726720
This is 4chan, where popular thing MUST be bad because most of the autists posting here got bullied by popular people in school and never recovered and now they fetishize obscure hipster bullshit.
>>
>>79732043
>putting a fat mudshark on the same level as Tolkein
its ok you just have shit taste
>>79727386
>>79727291
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIb62THIT0
>>
>>79726720
Just a pretty mediocre writer
>>
>>79731715
Literally just Atlantis bullshit, which was in Europe
>>
>>79727291
>instead of Martin's obsession with scat and whores you'd have Pulver's libidinous catgirls
Flatly an improvement.
>>
>>79729296
Those who die are weak and deserve it. Capitalism rewards the strong and just, not the weak and womanly. Let them die. There will always be more.
>>
>>79726913
>>79727948
>>79728625
>>79730416
>>79731956
>>79732258
Do you retards not think Tolkien is popular?
>>
>>79732715
Yeah but Tolkien has achieved a sort of "sacred cow" status among angry internet autists whereas GRRM is too "new" to be nearly as sacrosanct.
>>
>>79726720
Because he doesn't actually understand war or feudalism
>>
>>79732715
i have seen people here unironically say that Tolkien's work was too derivative of generic fantasy
>>
>>79727386
He can claim a lot of shit and it wouldn't make it true.
>>79732715
The people who think GRRM is hated because he's popular are the same who think Tolkien is bad because they've never read anything, but they've been told everything in fantasy is based on Tolkien.
>>
>>79726799
>miura
>worked himself to death
>martin
>writes one word per year
>>
>>79726872
Today Nitram and Nieklot were born.
>>
>>79731999
>reverse Satan dunking on Fartin
This is too meta
>>
>>79726799
Miura worked himself to the point his aorta had splits and he kept working with internal bleeding. That's the spirit.
>>
>>79726720
Because he has been teasing the second to last book for years and has published like 20 other books before it.
>>
File: cop-kick-your-ass.jpg (34 KB, 278x277)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>79728302

This gave me a heartier chuckle than I expected to find in this thread
>>
>>79728625
>GOT was really popular
>GOT became really shit
>He still hasn't finished Winds of Winter
The whole series was produced and came out (including one gap year) in the time Martin failed to write one book.
>>
>>79733296
I think GRRM is hated mostly because he's popular but I also have read and enjoyed Tolkien's work. How will the strawman you've invented in your head cope with this?
>>
>>79726720
>Why the hate?
He's a GURPSfag
>>
>>79728302
Winrar
>>
>read a series of blog posts breaking down GRRMs claim that ASIOAF is meant to be a realistic fantasy, specifically stuff like his "what was Aragon' tax policy" quote
>concentrates on the Dothratki and GRRMs claim they're a 'mix of Native American and Mongolian steppe culture'
>basically goes through in detail breaking down how the Dothratki don't at all resemble any real world culture and are mostly a mishmash of western stereotypes about Native Americans and Mongolians
>plus breaks down how their society doesn't even make sense on a functional level (retarded shit like the Dothratki eating horses as their main source of food)
>realise pretty much all the cultures in ASIOAF are basically lazy stereotypes about Medieval cultures and GRRM didn't do any research

I still enjoy the books but having it laid out to me kind of ruined them slightly for me, at least in terms of the world building.

https://acoup.blog/2020/12/04/collections-that-dothraki-horde-part-i-barbarian-couture/ if anyone is curious
>>
You could tell he was never going to finish his bullshit series the very second ned stark died
>>
>>79734073
Funny part is that it would be fine if he hadn't made such goofy statements about Tolkien
>>
>>79726720
If you removed the lavish food depictions, his books would lose a third of their page counts.
They guy is just kind of a shitty author too. Any time some rainbow hair gushes about his work, I direct them to read his short story about a futuristic necrophiliac buying zombie whores to dick down.
>>
File: 1617894566980.jpg (74 KB, 500x522)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>79733836
>I think GRRM is hated mostly because he's popular
Ntayrt but I would use this point to prove that you're obviously a contrarian idiot. "hurr durr hating popular thing is popular durr hurr I will be a special snowflake by defending popular thing because it's popular durr durr durr". You're a fucking white knight for Martin.
>>
>>79734299
That's not what the word contrarian means and that's also not how you take screencaps.
>>
>>79734370
You have mental capacity of a triple nigger.
>>
>>79734376
*the mental capacity
>>
>>79726913
>I feel like people here probably talked up his books a lot when it was just a semi-obscure pop fantasy novel series.
No, he's always drawn ire on here, it's just that, years ago, a lot more fa/tg/uys had to ask who he was when people brought him up to bitch about. Mostly, /tg/ seems to hate two things: His scrappy worldbuilding, which is ironic, since most /wbg/ threads make it clear that obsessing over the things you like, and failing to consider things you don't like, is par for the course; and his almost fetishistic focus on portraying the world as an utter shithole with no positive portrayals of anyone or anything, unless it is to later subvert that positivity.

Also, some people hate him for looking like a fat, stereotypical neckbearded gnome, but that's mostly because he holds a mirror up to their own fatty neckbeard selves and asks "why are you a failure, when I am not?"
>>
Because he's fat.
>>
>>79726720
>popular bad
>>
>>79731812
>You'd be wrong

>>79734486
>No, he's always drawn ire on here,

as an oldfag I can roundly say that's a load of crap, he got a lot of love on /tg/ particularly when the Green Ronin rpg came out.

there were always a couple of guys who didn't like him but they were a small minority, the backlash only started with the tv show.
>>
>>79726720
From me? The show is pretty bad and the books are mediocre and banal, but readable.
>>
>>79726763
In what way?
>>
>>79734541
>as an oldfag I can roundly say that's a load of crap,
As an oldfag, I can disagree wholeheartedly. Obviously, though, we're not a hivemind. Since I never liked the books, I probably noticed the bitching more than the praise. I remember people fanwanking over the RPG, for example, whereas you probably actually read those threads and found lots of positive discussion in them.
I think it's fair to conclude that he's always drawn ire, and also always had fans. The current enthusiastic hate is definitely because of the show, though.
>>
>>79726720
I don't hate him, I'm just sick of his lazy, fan-trolling nonsense. I've accepted and am fine with the fact that he'll never finish asoiaf, I've accepted that HE knows he'll never finish it and at this point any time he talks about it he's just teasing his fans. At this point I'm just disappointed, because no one else is writing decent fantasy anymore.
>>
>>79734541
The backlash started with book 2 and slowly built up. You'd be wrong to say it was a small minority, but it really did take off only after the TV show.
Similarly for the Green Ronin RPG, it was well received at first but the lack of balance, lack of support, lack of research and lack of further material slowly turned it from "This game is cool, we can play knights and lord and mercenaries with it" to "Yet another game with cool premise that is in practice so bad I'll just go back to my eternal plan B".
>>
File: bobby b.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>79731942
MORE TAXES
>>
>>79726720
No tax polices
>>
>>79734299
Well, 100% of Martin's critics focus on his personal character, or how his work reflects his personal character, or how his response to a question reflects his personal character, or how his work ethic reflects his personal character, but never honestly critiques his actual work in any depth whatsoever.
The Tolkien comparison wasn't something Martin made up on the spot, he answered a question that compared his work to Tolkien, which is going to happen if you write fantasy fiction, especially if it's set in not-England. People choose to take his answer to that question as if he claims to be a better writer than Tolkien, and this makes it easier to futher critique Martin's character in the guise of critiquing his work.
>>
>>79734654
Larry Correia and John C. Wright are both pretty decent, but the last truly great fantasy writer was Gene Wolfe who died 2-3 years ago.
>>
>>79727268
>It's hard to point at where the series had its peak, but I think somewhere around Reek is where it jumped the shark.
I'd say it should have ended after Storm of Swords.
Both Red Wedding and Purple Wedding happened. A lot of plot crucial characters like Robb Stark or Tywin Lanister are dead.
Daenerys conquered Meereen and gets little realistic that she should maybe get some knowledge about statecraft before rampaging her homeland with mercenaries and savages.
Sansa managed to escape to the Vale, Tyrion escapes to join Daenerys. Arya is technically free to do whatever she wants to do now. Jon Snow becomes commander of the Night's Watch. And Theon gets what he fucking deserves under Boltons.
Only loose plot I can think of is Bran, which can be loosely summed up by a short story written afterwards and it can have these weird prophetic dream sequences on what will most likely happen in the future.
>>
>>79730305
turns out that's fun then
>>
>>79726850
This shit is idiotic. Of course Martin couldn't exist without Tolkien, Tolkien is part of the cultural tradition he lived in. You might as well ask if Tolkien could have existed without the mythic traditions he drew on. It makes no sense to ask the question, it's like asking what Plato would philosophize about if he was alive today.
Tolkien fanboys are almost as insufferable and long winded as Martin's books.
>>
File: well.png (315 KB, 680x314)
315 KB
315 KB PNG
>>79726720

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.