[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gw.jpg (142 KB, 1000x739)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Tell me about your local GW store.
>>
File: 1618863980228.jpg (351 KB, 2098x2798)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
Its right next to an actual lfgs that juat opened. And because booking a table at GW for more than 2 hours is impossible they've lost basically all of their traffic overnight.
>>
Small, had to reduce their permitted persons to 3 because of covid, and carries next to no lozardmen models other than the required 1 saurus box and about 10 skink priests. It's also basically on the edge of town. I don't see it lasting much longer
>>
>>79715986
Whats an lfg?
>>
>>79715855
I don't have one
>>
>>79715855
banned FW
Has FW on display
LFGS next door that has 10% off gw prices, more tables, more players, food/drink, free wifi, a toilet and nicer staff
GW gets a 0/10
LFGS gets a 10/10
happy to post which GW store it is since people repeatedly tell me that GW cant ban FW and I'm always happy to give the GW that does and their phone number
>>
>>79715855
Gaming stores, like comic shops, are basically unsustainable unless you primarily cater to the inexplicably enduring Magic/Pokemon crowd.
>>
>>79716418
>providing a bathroom to the general gaming crowd
That must be an exciting end-of-day clean.
>>
>>79716439
It's in a rather gentrified neighborhood and people are courteous and clean here.
Also the only neckbeard is the manager, everyone else is pretty slim/lanky
that and across the road is a giant shopping mall so everyone goes to eat lunch there and probably shits there too
>>
>>79715855
The guy that works there now looks like he's about 12, the last guy that worked there was a fat neckbeard. It's strange to see such a difference.
>>
>>79715855
i wish there were alive game stores in hertfordshire. borehamwood's "the pit" is both terrible and dead. lost ark games in stevenage is just controlled by magic players and bolt action while the two closest actual games workshops (stevenage and enfield) you pretty much can't play in because every day is an under 16's day or age of sigmar only day. the one good place to play, thor's hammer club, closed for good when corona started as the guy who ran it got too busy with work.
>>
>>79715855
One of the imam's (can't remember which, Bradford has like ten mosques next to one another because they keep burning the mills down) sons tried to run me over in a smart car a couple years back just after I came out of mine, hadn't even left the street when the fucker decides to try some dangerous overtaking in the middle of a busy street.

There's a reason I miss the old White Rose Games Workshop. Great place, some decent folk as staff, and the without warning it just turned into a bike shop. Fairly certain it's a coffee shop now, given I haven't been on that side of the centre in years at this point given none of my usual shops are on that side.
>>
>>79716380
Local Friendly Games (Store)
Anon forgot the S>>79716650
>>
>>79716650
I know it’s a bit of a trek anon, but tanelorn club is pretty active and is hosted at a really nice venue in hackney wick (Rule Zero), just a hop over from Stratford, which you can train to from most parts of Hertfordshire.
Also, ignore this reply >>79716780, that’s me being a fat fingered idiot
>>
>>79716720
the absolute state of bongland
>>
>>79715855
Wow GW blackshirt, use reddit for this free marketing survey shit.
>>
>>79716805
Hmm might think about it. Even by train it's a 1h 15m journey apparently so definitely a trek. Problem with the games people play these days though is that you need to transport these big spikey centerpiece models that are not fun to transport by train. Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>79715855 all of the GWs that are local to me (im close to three) are sterile, horrible environments to be in, Even when the staff are nice people, they're forced by management to be insufferable. Always the same stupid questions, and the same disinterested glassy look in the eyes.

its amazing that in the space of ten years, GW have gone from having a busy, thriving feel in the shops to being cold and lifeless.

i feel like GW continually make decisions that are bad for their stores, just so they can justify sacking "underperforming" managers. keepingh their turnover high, and their shop staff wages low.
>>
They pay their staff lower than H&M or Aldi while requiring painting skills and craft skills, so of course they don't really give a fuck. The manager is totally disgusted by modern GW games and when they do the anniversary stuff he complains about it just being a "come and spend money" thing instead of a proper anniversary. Used to have thursday night matches but they only have 1 big enough table and they ran tournaments, now with the chinkflu shit of course everything's blocked. That said I only go there to pick up the occasional paintpot of mephiston red since online is cheaper for minis and their selection is awful.
>>
File: 1614729007137.jpg (924 KB, 1285x1887)
924 KB
924 KB JPG
>go to a gw for the first time
>manager is a large neckbeard
>politely asks us if we're into the hobby or new
>answers all our questions and recommends boxes that would save us money
Dude said he wants to set up narrative battles once covids over, might check it out
>>
>take friend in when we were both 14
>he wants to get into to 40k
>looking at all the models
>oh cool, they do LOTR too?
>staff member comes over
>start talking to him
>friend says "you could do Star Wars miniatures, I bet they'd be popular"
>staff member goes: "well why the hell should we?"
>awkwardsilence
>I later apologize to my friend for how fucking autistic GW staff are
>>
>>79717623
My brother once told a redshirt they should have prepainted minis because he hates to paint, but did so jokingly, just for laughs. Redshirt went on a 10 minutes tirade on how GW paints account for 20% of sales and shit like that.
>>
>>79717657
I genuinely never understood why GW stores didn't offer a commission service and pre painted troops sets.
They could even have it as a way to supplement their staff income. Have the paintwrs on staff set the prices and take rhe commisions, but with the GW seal of approval, and taking a 10% cut. It would be both an additional revenue source, help people get into the hobby and allow them to keep staff on more easily without having to raise wages.
>>
It's run by a cheerful bloke called Steve, good guy, friendly and helpful. Shop's always clean, doesn't smell rancid like the independent game shop
I don't speak to anyone else in there
>>
The closest one I know about is an hour away in Edinburgh. I went in there once just to look around cause I'd never been to a proper GW store before, was wondering if they had any tables, didn't look like it.
One of the employees tried to talk to me about what models I was interested in, probably to sell me stuff I assume, but I had a train to catch so I left pretty quickly. She was cute as fuck though, fuck that train.
>>
>>79717698
That is actually a sick idea
>>
Shop is small and has only two 4x4 tables which are mostly used for 40k games that use up 6x4 or more. So usually only one game can be played a time. Manager is kind of okay. I can never fully grasp if he's an asshole trying to be nice or a nice guy who has grown bitter and has off days most of the week. He's always trying to sell shit by pushing it in your hands and by claiming "you really need this to play properly". The employees that worked there that were genuinly cool guys have all left for better positions at other companies. Also, no matter what time of day or day of the week you enter the store the same fucking people are always there as if they have no life outside of hanging out at a gw store. They're also the wales that keep the shop afloat.
>>
>>79717698
That would be awesome, not gonna lie. Unfortunately they tend to keep redshirts on the low side, often even have 1 man shops, and the dude is supposed to do load/unload, cash register accounting, sales of course, tidying up the place and organizing the window diorama and stuff. They have huge downtime periods of course, but they're supposed to paint minis for the store in that time and do it well enough it takes them time. Sometimes I wonder if they didn't invent contrast paints for their own redshirts.
>>
When I was a kid about 20 years ago the gw stores seemed like awesome places. There would be fully painted armies on display for every new release that came out. Multiple staff members present on a single day always willing to chat, show painting technigues or gameplay tactics/explanations. You could always come and paint and could use paint and brushes from the store. There would be six week programs to teach fantasy, 40k, lotr and painting to newcomers. Creativity and scratchbuilding were major parts of the hobby then and completely converted armies by staff were on display. One guy made an orc pirate army with amazing greenstuff additions like hats, patches, weapons and so on. God I miss those days when it was just fun to be there. The current shop is the total opposite and feels like a generic retail store that happens to sell overpriced miniatures.
>>
>>79717785
>Sometimes i wonder if they didnt invent contrast paints for their own redshirts

I think you're onto something anon. I used to work for GW prior to contrast paints, and when we'd get a new set of models to paint for the store, we'd just spray white, and use washes with a neutral drybrush for allover highlights. When contrast paints came out it honestly felt like the higher ups had finally paid attention to the staff on how to get things done quickly.
>>
File: abaddon.png (2.75 MB, 1280x1558)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB PNG
>>79715855
Small store, two 6'x4' tables, one set up for 40k, one set up for AoS. The redshirt who runs the store is a thick, stout bearded fellow. He's pretty chill most of the time; he really likes to build and paint terrain so the store has a great collection to build battlefields from, and he turns a willful blind eye to 3rd-party minis and obvious pirated books and stuff. He's pushy with product at first but after a month or so of coming in once a week for skirmish night he eventually cooled down with that. Before the coof shut down in-store play he was planning a Mordheim campaign which was pretty cool. Good location too, I can walk there in about 15 minutes from my house. Small but solid community there too, there's a few spergs but most of the crowd are decent people. One guy brings in baked goods his gf makes twice a month, it's great.
I make the occasional purchase in there because I play(ed) there more frequently than at LGS across town, but admittedly I make a good 90% of my warhammer purchases at that store because they do a flat 15% discount off of GW's prices.
>>
File: wrt.png (123 KB, 442x220)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
>>79715855
Honestly i had a fucking amazing one
Only local game shop around but did the job more than well for like 4 years, shop owner was amicable and honest, openly talked and said to clients if a model had garbage rule or was not worth getting for their army, if he didn't like a new release he would say it was shit without many problems, organized monthly tournaments for all the GW systems evenly split between systems giving out prizes out of his own money to the top 3
Shop was going great and was full of life and people, then Covid happened, guy got replaced by a literal GW drone (the type that praises every new release like it's a gift from god and tries to push you to buy the shittiest garbage just to get it off the shelf) now the place is dogshit, half abanadoned, and i drive to the other closest place (2 cities over) when i want to do game stuff
To this day i don't know if old shop guy quit cause he was replaced, or out of his own volition to pursue other careers, whichever it is i hope he's well
>>
>>79715855
>In the 2000s it was a two story battle bunker at the high end of the street with plenty of tables for everyone.
>In the 2010s they moved further down the street to just outside the local MC Donalds. They kept 2 tables and ran plenty of weekly small scale events with something happening every day of the week.
>In the 2020s they moved even further down the street. They are in a small storefront between a local soup kitchen and a hairdresser that is the hangout of one of the local gangs. They have one 4x4 table to run demo games on and run a painting competition maybe twice a year
>>
>>79715855
Shrewsbury's staff are the greatest I've ever met, and they are a credit to the soulless corporation.
>>
>>79715855
The Netherlands has a shitload of GW's and I've seen a fair few, since most of them are "local". My favorite has a great manager and keytimer, absolute bros, suffers a little from the spergy store whale who always seems to be there whenever I visit the store, but there's hope as they've banned people before.
The other one I've frequented most had a mostly fun crowd, but suffered from a fat fuck with main character syndrome. Still lurk their chat and I know one of them posts here so D. you beautiful ork, keep shitposting.
>>
>>79717923
They did move from the excellent store on two floors full of tables to a miserable cupboard recently though, which fucking sucks.
>>
>>79716505
>tfw rush to GW bathroom when I know it’s going to be messy
Who else devilish here?
>>
>>79715855
Closest one is the big one in Grapevine Texas. It’s pretty stellar and reminds me of the old ones. A good amount of tables, forge world stuff, gimmicky cafe that has decent drinks.

I then go to my LGS which sells Warhammer crap for 30% and has way more tables to play on.
>>
Am I an anomaly? GW store next to me is always clean and the employee is always chill with folks that walk in. Pre-Covid the place was always filled with people.

Like it's that not normal?
>>
there are like 4 GW stores in my city and each have two employees: a hungry skeleton with glasses and a short fat guy with a gigantic beard. i kind of want to know why this is
>>
>>79717817
This.

Half the minis they used to have on display were conversions, scratch building or the stores homebrew armies, and they'd always have someone on hand to teach painting and building techniques to new comers.

I also miss the fucking massive Sunday battles they had, where they'd put all three of their biggest boards together, divide everyone who showed up into roughly even and thematically roughly allied sides, and then let everyone have an all out war for the rest of the day.

It was messy and long winded, but those 10-20,000 point a side matches created soem of my fondest memories in the hobby:
>A Bloodthirster being summoned in the middle of 3 Guard Squads, only to have a Grey Knight squad immediately teleport in to engage it in Melee.
>A Basalisk duel at the edges of their maximum range, causing every other unit to scatter out the way as they traded shells at one another each turn.
>My Space Marine Chaplian and command squad taking out Abaddon and his Terminators slap bang in the middle of a battle
>A Tyranid player who had the jammiest luck with dice rolls I've ever seen, deleting so much of our side, that he decided he'd turn on his Chaos and Ork 'Allies' on the last turn, and thoroughly annihilating them too.
>A game that somehow ended up with all the Flamer weapons on one end of the battlefield, which had so many of them in use to the point the staff decided all the terrain on that side was 'on fire', and any unit getting too close or in it would count as taking a Flamer hit each turn.
>a single Carnifex Killing 2 Dreadnoughts, a Leman Russ and my Devastator Squad.

These days it's just a handful of nerds at 2 small tables sticking to 'tornement rules' and spending more time checking books than playing.
>>
>>79717698
because gw wouldn't be able to control a standard quality across all the painters for it. some painters would be shitter than others. also it's not easy to hire thousands of commission painters. logistically it'd be a nightmare.
>>
>>79717929
Rotterdam used to be amazing. I don't live near there anymore but some of my best memories of the hobby come from that place. Without it I would have probably moved on after a couple of years. The shop closest to my current living place has one or sometimes two staff members, it's nigh impossible to plan anything to play besides 40k, you have to stand while playing even though bar stools are under the fucking table you play on and using the toilet has been forbidden.
>>
File: gw hu.png (1.92 MB, 1336x636)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
Every Saturday I'd go to GW Hull, with about £2 for the bus and £1 for a bag of spiced chips or sausage rolls for lunch. Big backpack and ice cream tubs lined with kitchen roll for my precious armies, I never bought a case.

I was shy at first and basically stood around looking at the bright red shelves, then after a while there were about a dozen kids around my age, early teens. We'd play all day, usually 1000pts of 40k 3rd/4th. They could just about fit four tables in. Made some good friends, some I still see years later, and still remember lots of moments, like when they had a conversion competition day and brought the massive shop bitz box out (which I filled my pockets with lel) or when one of the chavvier kids got banned for a month because he invited a pisshead in for an introductory painting lesson.

Some of us were fairly mature and allowed to attend "Veteran's night" on Thursdays, where the shop stayed open and I got my first cracks at Blood Bowl and Necromunda. We'd go on group trips to the Sheffield Battle Bunker, and most importantly Games Day on the coach. We even ended up doing stuff like going to gigs and the pub underage, with the staff and lads over 18.

There were like four main staff and several part-timers, hopefully we didn't annoy them too much.

Now I walk past and it's only open 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. There's one lonely staff member and maybe two kids scraping their Primaris around a plastic Realm of Battle table. There's a big club, two other clubs, and three good LGSs now so it's not the hub it once was.
>>
>>79718022
That's why they'd need to be a go between, taking a cut but leaving the exact terms to the painter. They'd just need to put whatever contractual provisos places like Etsy do.
>>
>>79718033
Sounds like my local gamesworkshops. I have no idea why they make it so hard to actually play in there.
>>
>>79716720
Sounds like a normal day in Bradford then.
>>
>>79718033
it kinda hurts that we can never go back again
>>
>>79718044
they dont want you to play, they want you to spend and get out
>>
>>79718023
I hate it when a single dumbshit fucks up the toilet use for everyone. You'd think that "don't shit in a small store" would be common fucking sense. Kinda sounds like you're describing Amersfoort though, haven't been there in a while.
>>
>>79717904
>hairdresser that is the hangout of one of the local gangs.
That's one gay gang
>>
>>79715855
It's a place where I can buy paint if I need it immediately.

That's its only use to me.
>>
>>79718071
I think the main reason it is no longer allowed is because the toilet is in the back and you have to go past the inventory. Probably stuff was stolen a few times. Also, the toilet had no door so someone taking a loud shit would be audible in the entire store. I was actually talking about the Utrecht store but I heard similar stories about Amersfoort.
>>
>>79718093
>the toilet had no door
??????????????????????
>>
>>79718093
imagine the smell
>>
>>79718112
The shop is in a very old building so either a door was never there or gw didn't bother to replace a missing door. I'm not kidding. It was like taking a piss in the corner of the inventory room.
>>
>>79718093
Sounded exactly the same, how is the Utrecht store these days?
>>
>>79718093
Bruh
>>
>>79718166
Since covid hit I have been there only once. But before that it was okay. Staff was concerned with selling first and foremost but also had a genuin interest in it as a hobby. The store manager is generally a nice guy but can come across as a jerk if you mention non-gw products or games. The lack of both gaming space and opponents has kept me away because even at the monthly specialist games play day barely anyone showed up. I frequent the other gamestores in the city more often since the push to sell is not as present there and because they offer better or cheaper products. The only other store that has tables only has warmahordes and mtg players and I quit warmahordes after mk3 launched. But at least you could use the toilet there and it has a door ffs.
>>
>>79718033
Fucking hell lad that photo brought back a lot of memories. Used to nip in there all the time after college.
>>
File: Chad Shit.jpg (98 KB, 674x960)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>79718093
>Some fucking neckbeard shitting, moaning, and grunting with an open door while some 10 year tries to browse Tau models pretending he can't hear the sounds of the jettison of brown liquid exploding the bowl
>>
File: simple as.png (137 KB, 510x633)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
I've only just got back into 40K after a decade long hiatus. Lot of shit's changed, haven't even been in my local GW yet. I'm too far south at the minute so I'm assuming it's just gonna be full of poofs.
>>
>>79718227
I did like the other gaming stores something about those old buildings make them crazy comfy. Should visit them again.
>>
>>79715855
I walked in on two employees discussing how to fit things really deep in your ass and the fatter of the two recommended using a doubled over USB cable to straighten out a bend in your intestines that happens after about 14 inches. I just grabbed the nearest item on the counter and walked out without paying and never came back. I don't think the starter pack of basic paints was actually worth going through that but at least I got something for the experience
>>
>>79716418
what GW
>>
>>79718427
fiction
>>
any good gaming stores in wellington? any wellington, im not picky
>>
>>79718452
You have no preference wether it’s in the uk, nz or lunch?
>>
>>79715855
Small but not tiny store, two small tables to play on. Staff is pleasant but one of the managers comes on a little strong with the selling for my tastes. A couple of real good painters work their though and have their stuff on display.
I've gone for a few pick up games there but its always really awkward because the regulars are teenagers, actual autists or both. They've got a girl working there too now and I feel bad because I guarantee some are going to come down with feelings for her.
>>
>>79718276
Can confirm, I like in the south east, and there's at least 1 or 2 trannies at my Local Store, whenever I've been in over the last 5 years or so. I stopped going entirely before the coof. They're shit holes these days.
>>
Woman manager that can barely paint at the local Geedubs.

Old manager was an OG and I dont go to the store anymore since he's no longer there. He commission paints now and does a lot of hunting/outdoor stuff in a rural area
>>
>>79718022
I know, if only gw had some way of setting up teams of painters
>>
>>79717720
The Steve I know kicked out a McDonald's worker because he'd go there every day at his lunch break and buy nothing
>>
>>79718497
even america is fine!
>>
>>79716956

They actually do use reddit. I'm a mod on the warhammer 40k sub. See below

Hi there

My name is Liz and I work for a market research company called Mustard research, based in the UK. I'm currently working on a project with Games Workshop exploring the interests and experiences of Warhammer fans. As part of this we're looking for UK and US fans of the franchise to take part in an online community panel next week, to share their experiences of playing the game, alongside their other interests around gaming and fantasy / sci fi franchises.

Selected participants will be paid £35 / $50 for their time (around an hour in total across 3/4 days) and their feedback will be shared directly with Games Workshop.

We have a link for anyone interested in participating to register their details, and I was hoping this would be something you'd be able to share with your network and encourage fans to take part. We're able to provide payment to you as a thank you for promoting the link.

Places on the panel are limited, however we will be following up with a survey in the next few weeks. There are more options to take part in this, and respondents will be entered into a prize draw, so anyone unsuccessful in being admitted to the panel would be given the opportunity to share their opinions via the survey. Again we would be able to share a link to you for this and provide further payment to yourself for promoting the survey.

If this is something you are able to help us with please get in touch either by replying to this message or contacting me directly at [redacted] If you'd like more info about the company I work for you can find this here: https://www.mustard-research.com/

Best wishes

Liz
>>
>>79717698
The issue is GW is to Jewy and would ask why should I get only 10% when I can get 100%.
>>
>>79718560
>>
Way back in the day when I bought my first set (about 2004, with Tau Empire, although I had bought the original Tau codex as well) I went to a store in the capital's CBD that was upstairs. Used to have a lot of tables around, always cool minis in the displays and on the tables. They had actually moved up from two floors below, where they'd been for years, and had scratchbuilt 40k scale Titans on display.

My local nowis a much smaller store, with two playing tables, and a table for assembling and painting. Not the widest range of minis, but I like a lot of the minis being released these days. Miss being able to reposition them so easily, but if you're mostly assembling and painting to display, it's not really a problem. The guy who runs the store is pretty cool. Have a few discussions. Have been going in to paint for a bit.
>>
>>79718442
GW Miranda in Sydney Australia
>>
>>79718013

Apocalypse release in 5th edition was 30+ people at my local GW packed in and everyone had 1k points or a titan. It was WILD

>currently we have two tables that are also 4x4s and they dont let you play more than 2000 points since one is an AoS table and one is a 40k table. There are 3 demo tables that are 2x2 and 100~ Indomitus sets taking up 15% of the store front

Baffling
>>
>>79718606
damn im planning on melbourne
>>
>>79718621
hopefully your gw isn't run by a super cuck
I'd say it's a shame but the flgs is based af and everyone likes it more
also a lot of people play horus heresy and since that's FW the GW banned it too so they're all in the flgs as well
>>
Are there any decent FLGS stores in Melbourne Aus? I'm moving there in a few months. My city had a single GW which was ok.
>>
>>79718653
im gonna be honest, i dont and probably never will buy 1st party gw products - at most id play at a flgs but i have issues liking people so i generally only hang out with preexisting friends and force them to play games with me
>>79718658
:0
do you want to be friends
>>
>>79715855
>that time a kid fainted in the gw and took out a terrain piece
>that time someone was murdered outside the church opposite and the crime scene tents were in view of the kids playing the next day
>that time the lovable autist showed everyone in the store his drawings of possessed chaos marines
>that time a store full of kids threw dice at another kids army
>that time I charged a mob of 50 boyz with no power klaws with a furious dreadnought

Yeah its just not the same anymore, the manager is nice but the store is full of greasy kids and manchildren
>>
>>79717720
Worcs?
>>
>>79718033
Fuck that sounds fun, a Shame I missed out on when the place was fun. The worst part archeron games always smell like shit and I can't stand staying there for more than 5 minutes.
>>
>>79715855
A bit dead, no-one is ever in apart from staff or occasional teen getting painting tips. My brother used to use it as a creshe for his kids - he would drop them off saturday morning, doing the week's shopping with his wife and then pick them up for lunch. Nowadays, I sometimes look at the models in the window, but not to buy, mostly to look at the colour schemes. Manager is a nice bloke though. When I went in to get some paint (my old pot of goblin green had finally ran out) he asked what I collected, told him I didnt anymore as I still play 3rd edition with friends and scratchbuild all the stuff I need nowadays. He seemed interested and we had a good chat about old school models and lore.
>>
>>79715855
Local store is nice. Haven't been there a lot but the manager gave me some good painting tips and found a can of yellow spray paint for me even though they don't sell it anymore.
>>
>>79717698
If GW did it, it would be the painter taking the 10%.
>>
>>79718241
>>79718768

'ullo fellow Hull lads.

I haven't been in Archeron since they moved to the big shop on George Street, I think that's like their third location I can think of. I only ever went to have a look at their second-hand miniatures, do they still do all that?
>>
>>79718013
They started coming down hard on non standard and old models around 4th edition 40k. Before that, they encouraged the players to be imaginative, you could turn up with almost anything - White Dwarf even had VDR (Vehicle Design Rules), in which you could work out the points cost of your improvised models and use them in games. Good times.

I used to play 1st edition rogue trader marines up to the 90s, then one time got asked not to bring them anymore because GW no longer sold them. GW shops are only showrooms for their current products nowadays, the hobby itelf is secondary.. :(
>>
>>79718845
yeah the new shop is pretty nice, a lot of 2nd hand minis and they have 2 big tables to play in. what other miniature clubs are there to my knowledge I thought it was only Archeron and GW that had space for games
>>
>>79718013
fuck that makes want to start playing
>>
>>79716720
Well theres your problem son.
You're in Leeds.
>>
>>79718033
>Now I walk past and it's only open 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. There's one lonely staff member and maybe two kids scraping their Primaris around a plastic Realm of Battle table
This but without anyone playing, just the store manage sat alone painting his khorne minis.
>>
>>79718607
Best game I ever played was when a mate (who was a school teacher) opened up one of the classrooms for us and we pushed all the tables together to create a massive 8x20 foot battlefield. Six of us played a massive 'last man standing' battle over two days involving Marines, Guard and Tau vs Orks, Chaos and Dark Eldar, living off pizza, crisps and diet coke the entire time. It was a magnicifent game, it's the only time I managed to use ALL my orks in one go.
>>
>>79718724
maybe. are you normal
>>
>>79717698
My local LFGS does this. The staff there all make some decent money from painting commissions.
>>
A pretty tiny and cramped place. The old location in Helsinki was a lot bigger and had just about full ranges for all armies, new store has a pretty shit selection. They still had two tables before covid, one for 40k and one for aos, played there a couple of times since they had a pretty good urban terrain setup. Employees are pretty good I guess and the manager is a nice dude
>>
I'm a bit spoiled for choice as my city has 2 solid LGS's, so the actual GW isn't really anyone's first choice as it only really has a table or two depending on their layout. It's traded hands so many times in the past few years and honestly every time it's been a downgrade with the new owner. The current one is basically just trying to force product down your throat instead of just being a cool guy to talk to as you browse the store/game.
>>
File: hulls.jpg (364 KB, 1844x1227)
364 KB
364 KB JPG
>>79718878

Hull's Angels is the big one, literally 50 yards from Archeron down the next side street too. They've been renting some kind of like charity/community space out for years and have survived the pandemic.

Then there's the more secretive Humberside Wargames Society which was above the shops on King Edward Street last time I checked, and the WARPS society at University. Then there's Stronghold Games on Hessle Road, they have like two floors with tables. There's Bad Wolf Gaming in town too that were apparently also getting tables but I don't know much about them.
>>
>>79719143
>"I love it when my wife lets me play warhammer"
yikes!
>>
>>79718751
yee
>>
>>79715855
On first name basis with the store owner.
Great guy, willing to shoot the shit even if you're not buying anything.

Keeps an upstairs room to book for large games only.
A bit restrictive, but those games were always awesome to be a part of.

Favourite moment was a 3 v 3;
Nids, Chaos and Guard V Tau, Necrons and Nids.
Ended up deploying across from the local veteran beard playing Nids.
The two other blokes on my team admitted I was being offered up as a sacrifice and told me to delay his army as long as I could.

Set up gunlines as Tau do and just kept firing, Carnifex and Riptide duked it out for three turns before it went down.
I was concentrating so hard on surviving the beards assault that I hadn't noticed that my two teammates had tabled the Chaos and Guard players.
Beard didn't notice either.

Crons and Other Nids swept in, what me and the Cron player didn't kill in shooting phase got cannibalised by my teams Nids.

I didn't pull off anything amazing, but I did more than my team expected and held the line.
>>
>>79717939
>>79717923
any of you lads in Oswestry? dont fancy going all the way to Shrewsbury every time
>>
The York store is alright.
Not too big not too small.
Very central location.
Often have more than one staff member in and are less inclined to try and hump your leg but they do try to get you talking to see if you're after anything specific and do the obligatory upsell attempt
>>
>>79715855
It's still there apparently. Haven't been in years.
>>
>>79715855
I recently applied for a job at my local one. One of the current staff wants to go back to school.

Decent place. Well managed. Good community.
>>
>>79718563
I don't need the money, I'll talk to retard marketers about 40k for as many hours as they need for free
>>
>>79719317
Yeah, Steve's a deece bloke. Been in GW retail for over 20 years so pretty chill.

Can't stand WW, it's just shit, which is a shame given the amount of space they have.
>>
>>79715855
the current generation are very friendly and don't try to hard sell products.
I'm very happy about this because GW stores are usually cringe as fuck. "can I help you" "you need a codex with that" "you must own ..."
>>
Taunton here. Its closed. Always closed. Looks clean inside. ... Probably because its always closed.
>>
>>79719692
My LGS closed so I've been making trips to that location and the Stamford one. Both are relatively long trips, but I dont have to deal with the city's bullshit if it got Stamford.
>>
>>79715855
the only games workshop i ever remember going to in my entire life was decades ago.

it was a town or two over from where i currently live now and has been out of business for years (i think it's either a hair salon or a antique shop now) and i only went there because my brother was looking for paints for some battletech minis.

since then there were like 2 places that sold GW products. a play n trade (which killed the store when they started selling them) and some mom & pop place in the city.

my LGS used to sell the AoS TCG but that game basically died a death physically.
>>
>>79715855
>small city in australia
I've went there a few times but it always felt pretty artificial in there, bought a few things there when I started out but the prices here are honestly a scam and I stopped going there years ago, now I just go to my local FLGS for the discount and to talk to the locals about painting and games

everytime i walk past its always empty, i dont know how they even survive here
>>
>>79715855

There isn't an official GW store in my country but my LGS has a very healthy Warhammer and hobby section as large as some GW stores and a gaming area with plenty of tables.

I'm competing in an AoS tournament there next week.
>>
>>79720068
Yeah but far as cities go York is generally tolerable due to its small size.
>>
>>79720198
Ballarat?
>>
>>79720224
no, but very close
>>
>>79715855
I've never been in but walking past you can smell the body odour.
>>
>>79720068
>>79720211

Wait are you guys talking about the same place lol, I think the OP was talking about York, England, because Stamford is miles away in south Lincolnshire and doesn't have a GW iirc
>>
>>79720243
ah, Bendigo
>>
File: 1615939041262.gif (536 KB, 100x160)
536 KB
536 KB GIF
>>79716422
hey that sounds like my lfgs
It used to be a well rounded store, but now it has 1 shelf of minis and paint. Cards and ttrpg games are still there. But the majority of shelf space is now dedicated for japanese candy, gaming key chains (League wpns aso), harry potter wands and anime/gaming plushies

They dont even have space to play or arrange any event anymore.
>>
>>79715855
Closed years ago,
RIP Harrow GW.
>>
>>79719143
Nice didn't know about Hull's Angels, I tried to join WARPS but the neckbeard energy was too damn high and just left. Will pay the other places a visit once the kungflu is over
>>
>>79715855
Lot of military dudes. They're pretty alright reliable people but dumb as fuck when it comes to actually playing the games and mindlessly throw money at everything new that comes out.
>>
>>79715855
Mine's called "Warhammer." Has a super nice clerk that's maybe too nice. Might be actually excited about his job but also might just be really good at it. The annoying part is that the LGS is slightly farther away, has the same prices as the Warhammer store, and the clerk is always really stand-offish with me. I swear that I did nothing that could have prompted this. I even made it clear that I was new to the hobby and looking for bits boxes and he was like "well I don't even know what army you have so I can't help you." I said "ah.. well it's eldar if that helps." "Drukhari or Craftworld?" "Craftworld then." "Yeah if I know that at the start it's easier." I mean christ, what was up this guy's ass?
>>
>>79715855
Only went into it once because I was stupid enough to think it's a store where you can buy proper /tg/ stuff rather than just their own shit. Which I guess used to be the case, just long before my time?
Rather spacious, with lots of LotR stuff at the time. And some of the unpleasant patrons you'd expect. When I asked the staff about dice, they were aghast that I'd even think this would be the right place. But that would be my mistake.
After that, I only rarely passed by the storefront when going to the nearby comic store. Apparently they're still going.
>>
File: 1557803499972.gif (1.74 MB, 300x290)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB GIF
>>79719222
That's the coolest guy in the room.
It's the guys in the hoddies and the one with the unpainted models you should look out for.
>>
Last time I was in a GW in central london, I was followed around by a saleswomen who after I said I played IG and was looking for a HQ choice or something continued to try and sell me a £100 starter kit with Space Marines v Chaos Space Marines. Never went back after that.
>>
>>79715855
The nearest GW store is 400 kms across the border from where I live.
I don't even know if this is a blessing or a curse
>>
>>79720806
she wasnt called Lydia was she?
>>
There is one in erina australia thats fairly small (one gaming table ive seen) the only staff member ive seen is pleasant enough but ive heard some weird stories about his reactions that arent mine to share.
>>
>>79718013
This post brings up some good memories. I remember also wrecking stuff in sunday games with carnifex. It was my favourite unit as a child.
>>
>>79718033
sovlful post
>>
It...exists, but is too far away and not worth the petrol/parking costs or time to go to specifically. If I am in the town anyway I might pop in, but only if I'm after something like one of their good technical paints.
>>
>>79715855
I used to frequent chermside GW. It was bad, lots of people crammed in there, salesgoons squeezing between neckbeards trying to get you to buy shit.

My last few runs have just been to buy paints, and they have been empty and just handed me what I wanted with no fuss.
>>
>>79720362
Damn York is such a pretty place, I hope I get the occasion to visit it again.
>>
>>79715855
Last time I was in there to watch some friends play 40k, to see if it was worth getting into, I got asked to leave because I was only allowed to be in store to "play a GAME, WORK on a project or SHOP" I bet the guy got a rise out of making that up.
>>
>>79715855
Don't have one. I don't even have a regular gamestore close by me
>>
It's a nice place, and the operator is a cool guy, but I've seen closets bigger than it, and some of the in-town FLGS' are closer, and have lots of tables.
>>
>>79715855
never even seen a GW store, let alone have them local.
>>
>>79715855
The guy that runs the one in the southside of town is honestly pretty cool. His shop is really small, though.
The north side shop is run by some guy they brought over from the UK. Apparently it is one of the higher sales GW in the US, but it's also in a wealthy area. Both are actually in wealthy areas.
>>
>>79715855
Pretty based. The manager is a good friend of mine and that store is brand new. Gives me free product for playing games with a mutual friend durring high traffic times to try and get people interested. Tells us specifically to bring unpainted and half-painted minis.
>>
>>79715855
In the opposite end of the country, the crowd working there isn't bad actually, or at least they used to be. Haven't been there much since moving and they're changed staff quite a bit. Old dudes there were cool with talking about shit like Wargames Exclusive at work and I bought like 90 cadians second hand off of one guy. Basically pretty chill and no fitting a lot of the horror stories I've heard about red shirts on here.
>>
>>79715855
Tiny and expensive
>>
>>79722599
> Basically pretty chill and no fitting a lot of the horror stories I've heard about red shirts on here.
Call me a radical conspiracy theorist, but I think lads on here embellish their anecdotes for the sake of entertainment
>>
Honestly it's just kinda boring and quaint. Same 3 dudes have worked there since at least 2008-9. No one really plays there, it's quiet, it's small, they're a bit pushy and not especially friendly even to repeat customers. There's a hobby shop (Antics) right next door that you can get more GW stuff in than the actual GW at a better price, as well as all the usual MtG, Yu-Gi-Oh, tanks/planes/ships, historicals, terrain etc. and they're friendlier.
>>
>>79722625
You're telling me someone would go on the internet and tell lies?
>>
>>79718007
They are chanelling chaos gods.
>>
File: 1622783216310.jpg (48 KB, 680x963)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
My local GW store was next to a big mall with a lot of foot trafic, great for luring people in. Used to have a big, nice community, free painting stations and free access to tables if no one had booked them, it was great. Then the store stopped doing that and eventually they moved to a more central location... But way smaller and in an alley way where way fewer people pass by. It is still going strong buisnesswise but the community the store had is 100% dead. Never a soul there. As soon as you come in they try to sell you half the store. Went there with a friend some time ago and they tried REALLY hard to convince us that we needed to buy a bunch of ETB intercessors and reivers and that they are just as good as the normal sets... Neither of us play space marines...
>>
>>79716720

They decided to cut the White Rose one during the whole push back to save money (as apparently it made no money a was purely a vanity shop).

The one in the Arndale shopping centre in Manchester is one of the best and biggest, and has a really cheap rental contract due to the IRA bombing the city back in '96.
>>
File: GW STOKE.jpg (88 KB, 800x800)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Oldfag here, playing since 1995. GW stoke used to be insane. Was the size of two shoe boxes, but come veterans night, you'd have more people inside than a refugee life raft. Then in the late 2000s, the head managers chased off the vets, using the bathwater analogy of 'you need to let the old water out before you can pour in clean water' and the store is just dead. Going inside, even before Covid, was like entering a dying saloon... no pianist or can-can girls, just a coughing old prospector in the corner.

Last time I went in was pre Covid, but the tables are shit, the vibe is crap, and I get in and out faster than a counter terrorism raid. The fact this image has the shop wedged between two charity shops says a lot about Hanley (the area of Stoke its in) too.
>>
Not played much warhams for a couple of Editions, but the York store has always been decent, if quite small as property in York is far too pricey.
>>
>>79715855
Only ever been to the one in Seattle, WA. The owner will shadow you around the entire store and try to strike up conversation if you so much as make eye contact with a box of minis.

Definitely prefer Mox Boarding House which is a shame because Ballard is a dogshit neighborhood compared to Lynnwood but I'd still rather dodge homeless people to go there than deal with the GW owner. Also Mox's prices are like 20% cheaper.
>>
>>79718563
How about you just tell your marketers to come here and just read the threads everyday? They'd learn something real fuckin' quick.
Also if you guys got cash to dump around just to chat, how about you lower the prices on your fucking ounces of plastic?!?!
>>
>>79715855

>tiny GW shop in big city
>know the local red shirt since I go there every now and then to buy stuff
>one day I ask him if he can check train departures on the net since my phone is dead
>he sits down behind the desk and pretends to type on his keyboard, I can clearly see that he is just pretending, like people on a bad TV show, just typing gibberish
> after 5 secs he says internet is down and he can't help
>>
File: 1598577803914.jpg (24 KB, 225x250)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>79718093
Reminds me of this story an anon told once about his FLGS, where the toilet was in the inventory room. He was taking a shit and had the staff knocking on the door because they needed to get in to get the draft decks for Friday Night Magic.
>>
Rice Village Houston tx was an amazing scene in the 2000s
>>
>>79715855
The nearest one for me is is in another country
>>
>>79723435

this sums up GW in a nutshell. Its staff are facistic in some of their rules and traditions. One time I asked if I could use the newbie painting table to do two tiny red dots on two bases to help distinguish models apart. Literally dab-dab. Ignoring I spent around £200 a month in the store.

"no" was the flat answer.

"element games" became my reply.
>>
>>79716999
Learn to drive you autist.
>>
>>79717597
>pay their staff lower than H&M or Aldi
Kek. Does Aldi cheap out abroad?
They pay rather well here as far as retail/service jobs are concerned.
>>
>>79717698
>paint it up, wagie
>>
>>79718951
depends, what do you see as normal?
>>
>>79722352

It certainly is. Capital of Yorkshire too, the greatest place on earth.
>>
>>79723286

Oof
>>
>>79720680
Nah, the autist here is you. Stop being a thin skinned bitch and porperly communicate what you're looking for.
>>
>>79723048
this is exactly what happened to my GW store
>>
they banned my friend for life because he was caught stealing a box of genestealers because they sold the last copy of Space Hulk and he was mad and said he was gonna make his own Space Hulk
>>
>>79726447

Did he announce he was stealing them in the store
>>
Local warhammer store
Nice staff, although one of my favourite staff members left for England.
Mostly AoS players.
Overheard a conversation with a regular who essentially told his mate if he went to jail he wouldn't mind banging a man as long as he had a 'feminine' bum
Good place tho
>>
>>79726504

yeah he said it, one of the employees started watching him and about 20 minutes later he slipped a box of genestealers inside his belt. They didnt catch him stealing the six paint pots though lmao
>>
>>79726587

please tell me your friend is fat and it was super obvious
>>
File: crying peepo.png (308 KB, 1260x315)
308 KB
308 KB PNG
>>79718033

Apart from the fact it's a wholesome post, I am constantly reminded of the fact that my shitty little island cannot even stand up to what some argue is the most depressing city in England
>>
>>79726680

nope hungry skeleton
>>
>>79720806

As much as you can hate her for doing that, it is literally their job to meet sales quotas. Don't blame the saleswoman for trying to shill the company.
>>
>>79718071

Our store managers let us use toilets. However, we did always walk past inventory and preorders, and were essentially trusted to not be cunts.

One day, our managers said we couldn't do it anymore. Chances are someone stole something or big boss said for it to stop.
>>
>>79726051
Second greatest.
As a Welshman I consider the exact valley I'm from to be the greatest place on Earth.
>>
>>79715855
It closed about a decade ago when they banned playing anything other than starter games in-store.
>>
>>79720795
I can believe that. Married dads in niche hobbies are always cool because they stop giving a shit about posturing and I don't know why, but dark hoodies and ponytails are always trouble.
>>
>>79715855
Used to be good until they got a douchebag redshirt who broke my forgeworld models to see if they were forgeries, who'd pick fights with people, tried to control conversation and was the pushiest salesman I've ever seen as he'd literally grab a starter kit off the wall, push it into someone's arms and say "You're buying this". He's opened up his own LGS now but the sheer and utter faggotry of this one person put me off the store and GW in general.
>>
>>79729175
they tend to be pussywhipped as fuck
>>
>>79726447
>risk a criminal record over a board game

lmao what the fuck
>>
>>79733024

i dont live in america where they give a nine year old a criminal record for stealing a stick of gum. he got caught, the cops were called, he was banned from the store for life, and then he had to take a class on why theft is wrong. no court dates or arrest record or anything.
>>
>>79718658
There's a boomer store that makes their own miniatures called Eureka.
>>
>>79719222
He has a wife. He has done 'it'. With a lady! Intimidating virgins is a big part of winning in 40k.
>>
>>79717735
I'm pissed that Murphy's is closing/moving, that was a good store, Games Hub is shit
>>
>>79733293
ive had sex enough to become bored with it. i would literally rather paint my manchild toys
>>
>>79716418
My local GW banned forgeworld because people were bringing tons of FW dreads and didn't have the datasheets for them.
>>
>>79715855
Local one isn't bad, but the next-most-local one is literally Warhammer World
>>
>>79733398
Must be having shit sex
>>
>>79733508
sex aint all that. i just cant be bothered with it anymore
>>
>>79716418
My LFGS is the sage of a postage stamp, has one table, and is barely able to stay in business... I hate living in nerd hell.
>>
>>79715855
Technically my local one is warhammer world, but I prefer the actual GW store in town because the staff is more helpful
>>
Dude there seems really nice but I have no reason to go there when there's a huge good games (au lgs franchise) not much further away that lets me use 3rd party
>>
File: GW_Draken1.jpg (60 KB, 390x293)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
My local GW is actually the german headquarter and has a long story of suffering. It was once in a fucking huge corner building with an amazing play area with like 15+ 6x4 tables, most of the times 1-3 leftover dioramas from warhammer world (talking about 3x3m ones), access to FW (which was rather an issue at that time). The upper floors were for business and europe marketing. It was quite amazing and what lured me into the hobby back then with LotR SBG. Over time staff became more and more shitty, disallowed coming for games only without buying, gaming area was closed often w/o reasons and then, one day after people stopped visiting it, it was closed and gw moved into some shoebox a street further away. Well, the shoebox suffers since them that management is constantly controlling what they do. Last thing I remember before covid was major trouble as the store manager had to remove another gaming table. They also had to stop longer game nights which was like the central thing that kept the community there. So yeah, it became shit as EU marketing was constantly trying to make it less about playing.
>>
File: 1622311683263.jpg (132 KB, 661x623)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Is there a reason GW exclusively hires unlikeable autists? I get the pressure selling probably makes enough money to justify annoying people, but surely someone has told them that their stores have a reputation for unpleasant or unlikeable staff. Is it just the nature of the sort of people who would choose to work in a GW?
>>
File: 1609901173408.jpg (31 KB, 368x272)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>79716422
>comic shops
reminds me
>started going to another comic shop after the one I used to go to moved
>first visit
>walk in
>owner and some guy with a speech impediment that sounds like an actual autist are going back an forth over magic
>walk around for a bit and pick some stuff out
>take it to counter
>guy comes over and starts checking me out
>before he takes my money autist says something else about magic
>he walks away as I try to hand it to him
>gets into an actual argument about magic with the autist that turns into full on shouting match
>eventually just leave after the guy completely ignores me
>try to go again week or two later for some reason
>this was around the time of a reboot of a couple of comics
>friend had mentioned to me that he might start trying to read a few of them again so I tried to pick him up a few copies
>grabbed two of one so I would have one for myself
>not specials or variation covers or anything like that
>take them to counter
>same guy as before is there
>he starts checking me out
>sees I have two of one of them
>goes into an actual autistic rage
>I CAN'T SELL YOU THIS
>oh is there a reason?
>WE DON'T DO TWO COPIES OF ANYTHING
>oh didn't know sorry
>I CAN'T SELL IT TO YOU
>okay no problem
>I'M NOT DOING IT
>yeah that's fine just remove one I was just picking it up for a friend
>TELL YOUR FRIEND HE BETTER COME DOWN HERE HIMSELF
>I'm not going to do that can you finish checking me out or not?
>ARE YOU A SCALPER
>ONE PER CUSTOMER ONLY SIR I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO TELL YOU
>walk out in the middle of him still yelling
>never went back
>got out of comics shortly after aside from occasionally pirating
>>
File: 1608758312573.jpg (38 KB, 720x535)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
New in the hobby here. Does friendly managers who are abusively fired by GW tend to set up their miniatures store afterwards? And near their old store too?
>>
>>79734430

I have never experienced unlikeable autist staff at my local GW stores. On the contrary, it tends to be the customers who are the autists far more than the staff.
>>
>>79718746
>that time the lovable autist showed everyone in the store his drawings of possessed chaos marines
Was it so bad?
>>
>>79722351
Chermside is tiny. Sunshine Plaza used to be even tinier, if you ever went there before it moved.
>>
>>79715855
It doesn't exist.
>>
>>79715855
Its meh
>>
>>79715855
Rarely open, no space, and just as cheap going to other local owned shops or ordering online. IE no reason to ever go there, though I was able to get two boxes of battle sisters there last year when they couldn't be found anywhere, even ebay
>>
>>79716418
Dude , with all the money I've spent on FW if they told me they wouldn't let me use them in shop I'd straight tell them to suck something. My troll hag is a vital part of my army, and my general, raptors, and termies for my night lords are all FW.
>>
>>79715986
Good. Games Workshop is the fucking bane of /tg/ in this country and I'm fucking sick of it.
>>
>>79715855
>don't play warhammer
>always walk by the shop and want to look at the cool minis but don't want to get pressured into buying anything
>tell my brother this one time we are walking by the shop together
>he convinces me it's no big deal and we go in
>some guy behind the counter sees us and perks up
>"do you guys need a hand with anything?"
>"nah, just looking"
>"ok, I'll be here if you do"
>he goes back to his computer
>anxiety_appeased.jpg
>look around the shop
>it's about 4 by 15 meters with a table in the middle
>nighthaunt vs golden armour dudes diorama set up on one side
>some 40k thing on the other idk
>pretty cool
>look at the boxes with bro and laugh at how ridiculous the prices are
>leave
It was nice I guess. A bit small but didn't feel cramped, maybe because there were only three people in it idk.
The dioramas were cool and guy was nice too but the prices were silly, I guess that's not the store's fault though.
>>
>>79736631
It's because unfortunately a significant proportion of GW gamers with minis are just rich kids and they buy enough of that shit they can cope with losing the custom of a dozen poorfag randos because they know Tarquin will be in soon and will buy the £300 box set of the latest bullshit they have.

The only problem with this is that the game basically revolves around making sure Tarquin's primaries ultrasmurfs led by guilloman and his coterie of custodian guard hq options is the best thing on the board.
>>
>>79717698
>>79717657
Why the fuck would you play warhammer if you aren't into painting? You'd have to be a fucking retard.
>>
File: 20210611_223517.jpg (4.71 MB, 4128x3096)
4.71 MB
4.71 MB JPG
>Move to new area for work, check out the local GW
>Small tournament on, $10 to enter with a prizepool, 1000 points 3 games.
>Decide to join and meet some new people.
>Get there on the day, bring fully painted Death Korps.
>Get told by the manager sorry no forgeworld, here's your $10 but you can't play.

Never again, clubs only from now on.
>>
File: 95508418.jpg (157 KB, 1024x683)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
1990's
>Sadler Gate
>Tiny whole in the wall shop you basically walk a circuit around the two tables in the middle and get out
>Horrible vampiric clerks who have a preset loadout of questions to try and lead you into an upsell and so even if it wasn't small and smelly people avoid it for that alone but i got my first models there and £10 for a rhino was a age ago
2000's
>Burton
>Opened around 3rd edition but still treated as a 'new store' even though its open day stock was Necrons and Tau as the newish releases
>Extremely lazy managers who run it like a hobby club and don't really care what you play
>four tables in the middle, one almost always the same people off work from the nearby asda and sainsburies playing underworlds or blackstone fortress or this one obese goth girl painting flesh eater courts or genestealer cults to avoid her home life
>Almost all the stock is aos and middle earth -it was the biggest lotr seller in the country for some reason- and a wall of 40k that never gets touched and a tiny 3 box wide shelf for specialist shit
2010's
>We are all old enough to drive now and Nottingham is a 25 minute drive so fuck it lets just go to warhammer world
>World HQ so they know they don't need to upsell if you are shopping there
>Forge World store
>All the specialist games shit
>Huge gaming hall
>Bugmans bar
>Clean toilets
>Museum
>That one guy who brings a wooden breifcase into the bar and its a fold out blood bowl pitch with stands, crowds, a castle border and grass pitch that Duncan looked at and under his breath muttered "fuckin' hell..." before grabbing his pint and walking over to this absolute chad.

I still like my locals but when you can go to warhammer world easily the regular stores are redundant. The one in Nottingham 2 mins by tram away is a fucking pointless waste of space.
>>
>>79717847
I have to admit I have got a ton of use out of plague bearer flesh, that stuff looks great on fellwaters Trogs
>>
>>79737984
imagine being such a chad you catch dunc's attention
>>
I’ve come to the conclusion that most people who work in stories for niche hobbies are dicks.
>gun stores
>auto part stores
>tabletop gaming stores
If you don’t know exactly what you want when you walk in they act like you’re wasting their time.
>>
>>79716720
At least you guys have the option, up in Darlo we have one GW shop and the last time I went in I was served by some mongo with green teeth and his girlfriend was sat next to the till making rude comments at a stage whisper about people walking by. Never going back there
>>
>>79722634
I wonder how these game stores even stay open when they treat their customers like strangers
>>
>>79722351
Chermside is less busy because the higher ups realized the old store manager was super good at getting people to come in and do shit in the store so they promoted him to manager at the big Mt Gravatt store so he could actually have room to do shit.
>>
>>79715855
It doesn't exist.
The tiny handful of their stores that opened up here in the late 90s bankrupted within slightly over a year. Then they've tried to run them franchise-style, and those bankrupt on average within 3-4 years, until the poor sod who bought the franchise realise there is no way to make money on this.
>>
File: image_2021-06-11_172126.png (1.19 MB, 1101x729)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
Everyone from the Norf is posting their great looking GWs and all I have is pic related.
>>
>>79739173
A NORF GAME FN'ORF PEOPLE! GEEDUBS AND THE GREGGS!
>>
File: image_2021-06-11_173503.png (640 KB, 1017x388)
640 KB
640 KB PNG
>>79739264
Greggs is right next door. Get in, lad. Fucking gerrup, mush. Giz a stake bake.
>>
>>79739359
Simple as lad, 'appy days.
>>
>>79739359
Based and Greggspilled.
>>
>>79739173
>>79739359
Can I come live with you anon. Looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>79739447
Doesn't matter which way you walk when you leave, you go past a Greggs, lad.
>>
>>79715855
The manager is gay and might have the hots for me.
>>
File: mg_greggsmap_comp.png (994 KB, 1200x630)
994 KB
994 KB PNG
>>79739467
Gods country lad.
>>
>>79737431
I just like explosions. I'll bring a Dominus knight so I can have it super explode. I will always have a laugh if my vehicles explode and kill who ever is around. Took out a primaris librarian this way after a squad of catachans hurt him. He was so upset about exploding the chimera killing his nerd miniature
>>
>>79739488
jesus christ.
>>
>>79719969
Steve's great. Helped me make good army decisions, and even went against the grain and recommended against me getting a large centerpiece at one point.
The no forgeworld rule is a bit of a pain, but theres always the other store down the road from there.
>>
>>79719969
Warhammer world?
>>
>>79715855
"Local" is a misnomer; it's in OKC in a mall , closed three days a week, pretty much product and a register, no table. I went once, it was closed. I think it keeps bankers hours.
>>
>>79734430
>Is there a reason GW only hires unlikeable autists.
unlikeable autists are the only kinds of people who willingly apply for minimum wage jobs where you're required to solo-run a shop front and deal almost exclusively with other autists who often stink?
>>
>>79733709
this is what virgins actually believe
>>
mine moved down the street to a store half the size not long before the pandemic despite having the traffic to justify having more than 3 tables, but most of those that was kids so probably not money wise. bunch of the staff have been there for years but done in by corporate decisions. went in after reopening and there was a queue out the door so maybe the boom might translate into some sort of new community

also went to warhammer world after they reopened. they still call drukhari dark eldar and the super glue of choice is gorilla glue
>>
>>79726277
Nah; I stated I was new and assumed it would be a large box of random bits from various armies. How would I know to list any potential army I was looking at if I had the previous assumption? After hearing that I'm new, he could have easily asked, "oh any army specifically?" Would have been overall less effort that way even. Acted like he just had to shovel shit out back.
>>
>>79720211
>>79720362
Ah, I am retarded. I saw York and my brain read New York. My Stamford is in Connecticut. Continue to enjoy your not (as much of a) shithole city.
>>
>>79715855
Managed by a stuck up purple haired sjw chick with an entire regiment of beta orbiters constantly hovering around her telling her how cool her army is or whatever. Notorious for banning people over the slightest things such as using non gw brushes. She got angry at me once for tacking my figure to the top of a bottle to paint it instead of using the official gw buttplug. I even saw her kick out a dude for painting FW resin once. So I never go there unless I need to buy a paint quickly. The next GW over is run by a cool dude who regularly holds informal store tournaments with homebrewed rules like vehicle ramming or 3v3 hq throwdowns and is populated by mostly decent people. Also he lets people use his paints as long as they don't abuse the privilege and never buy paints of their own.
>>
>>79716720
>I miss the old White Rose Games Workshop
It was way to small. Some of the fatter neckbeards probably had to suck in their guts just to play. Surprised it shut with how busy it was but I guess mall-rents are what doomed it and Meadowhall, or maybe it was breaking some health and safety rules with how crammed the space was.

>Fairly certain it's a coffee shop now,
Thought it was a barbers, but that might've changed due to Covid.

>Bradford
Genuinely surprised there's a shop in Bradford, but I guess they built the two-floor one in Wakefield of all places.

>Leeds
Staff are friendly but super pushy.

>Wakefield
Good store, really nice staff, just a shame the gaming space got cut. Biggest shame is you've actually got to go into Wakefield to go there.
>>
>>79725695
Aldi have the best pay in the UK retail sector last I checked. Cosco and Lidil aren't far behind.
>>
>>79715855
I don't live in Britain (thankfully)
>>
I'm in Iowa. It's small and in a dying mall. Nice guy, but the LGS sells for 15% off, so I don't buy much there.
>>
>>79736717
Honestly given the surprising amount of times that some shiny new expensive model has mediocre or even subpar rules I think it's more likely that GW's rule-writers are just incompetent rather than acting with bad intentions.
>>
>>79740437
>>Fairly certain it's a coffee shop now,
>Thought it was a barbers
lol
Living in Brighton, this is every fucking shop.
GW has survived by being tucked away in a relatively low-rent place, and having one depressed lass run it solo.
>>
>>79739359
I remember back in the day at the Portsmouth GW a guy handing out McDonald's vouchers would regularly come in and dump like half his stack in the store to get rid of them easily; damn near every visit to that place also netted you some ridiculously cheap burgers down the street.
>>
>>79715855
bit small but the manager is a nice person
>>
File: 546i1.png (238 KB, 1859x858)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
>>79718033
fuck off, retard
>>
>>79717904
>who are you quoting
>>
File: 1622328353216.jpg (59 KB, 696x464)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Before it moved, it was one of the most commonly googled and used images of what a GW store is/was.
Many games were played, many friends were made, much cash was spent.
>>
>>79739173
Norvun GW's odd. I'm consistently shocked to see the Blackpool shop still open, it seems like every other fucking shop in the town's gone tits up in the years since I moved away but this little bugger somehow manages to survive. There must be a larger overlap between Warhammer players and ket addicts than I thought
>>
>>79742730
God Blackpool is such a shithole now. My friends gran lives there and we went down there a while back when he had to help her move some shit and walking around was disgusting. Every arcade was full of broken machines and gambling, every toilet had shit smeared on all the walls and the gypos and their horses shit everywhere, yes that means people too.

It was like if india tried to make a resort based on an 80's seaside boomtown gone bust. Fucking Manchester and Derby are less miserable.
>>
>>79742320
It was smaller but had a lot more soul than the new one. The new one has lots of tables and a less aggressive sales atmosphere.
>>
>>79742730
A mate who was doing his junior doctor bit had a horror story about treating a cult of Warhammer players / swingers who had all given each other syphilis. This was in rural Norfolk though mind...
>>
>>79743369
I haven't put a foot in the new store yet.
That you Hayden?
>>
>>79715855
The nearest GW store to me is a 3-hour drive away, and I have never been there. Game shops around here are all independent.

The closest game shop that keeps a good stock of GW merchandise is fine, as long as you aren't there when they have big events going on. But I prefer a smaller shop closer to home; they work really hard to suppress neckbeardism, and the store is clean, well-lit, and their inventory is well presented so you don't have to go hunting through stuff; the downside is they don't stock much GW stuff, and they only have one big table suitable for wargaming (although it is big enough to often fit two or even three small wargames at once).
>>
>>79737984
>2000s
>flesh eater courts
>aos
>>
File: wigan kebab.png (1.77 MB, 1602x904)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB PNG
i always forget how many britishmen are on /tg/ until they all start talking about various locations as if everyone knows exactly what they mean when they say
>yeah the one in bumderville sucks, i live in giggleton and i have to drive all the way down to wankfordshire for a decent experience
>>
>>79715855
"Local" GW is about 50 klicks away, but so is every other flgs. Well, technically there is one in town, but it's only for board games and Magic. Mostly highway though, so it's only 30-40 minutes. The staff has cycled through over the ~20 years I've been going there, but most of them have been pretty cool guys. The corporate hammer really killed a lot of what I used to love,though. The yearly auction was fucking great, they'd go through all their overstock and even some of the regular kits, and old stuff people had found and wanted to get rid of. I've still got the big cardboard stand from when Apoc first launched, got that sucker at the auction.
>>
>>79744009
The names are weird, especially next to stories about that one time the imam's son almost ran you over, but I kind of envy these guys. Norf of England looks cozy, and there's a great local culture of wargaming.

There are 3 hobby stores in my city of 500k, and all seem centered on mtg, yugioh, and board games. Meanwhile in the tiny village of Ockwerstyford there's two FLGS with warrooms on the same corner.
>>
>>79715855
Never seen one in my life, and I've been playing 40k since the mid 90s. I've been to probably 12 different LGSs but never one that was an official GW owned store.
>>
>>79715855
I used to go to the flagship store in central London. It's mostly alright, the redshirts are kind of pushy. Also, it has one of the strictest model requirements. I wasn't allowed to use a model because I made a banner out of plasticard (Rest of the model was vanilla). I stopped going to geedubs stores ages ago though
>>
>>79740437
>>79741105
I swear to fucking god, barbers and vape shops in england must be fronts for hydra. Close one down, two more will open, hail hydra.
>>
File: 1244301909125.jpg (12 KB, 288x356)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
I found it a year ago just before lockdown.

They seemed nice enough.It was a pretty quiet day. One employee, 2 guys playing Kill Team, one girl painting. I'll probably head back July 1st when hopefully lockdown fully ended.
>>
>>79715855
It has been shit since it changed its name. I don't know if a new administration took over or whatever, but the variety of products declined sharply, and the employees treat customers rather poorly now.
>>
>>79744397
England just seems to have a very strong wargaming and model-making culture compared to the rest of the world, but in a very understated sort of way. I'm always surprised when I find out how few shops and clubs there are in other places because I just sort of assumed everywhere was like this.
>>
>>79715855

I called mine and they literally told me I would be asked to leave if I played any of their discontinued games or editions on their tables.
>>
In high school I worked at a toy store that was a GW vendor. The owner was an elderly Thai man whose laptop I regularly had to remove viruses from. I don't think the toy store made any income on it's own and was totally financed by the restaurant he owned next door. I got to paint a set of ultra muhreens which was pretty fun though. It was also painfully obvious when someone came in for Warhammer stuff.
>>
>>79716720
Used to go all the time to the White Rose one to buy Lotr models. Shame when it closed as it was an extremely comfy store. Millies cookies nearby used to get thoroughly abused.

>>79740437
All the neckbeards went to the leeds one, there used to be one extremely autistic manager that balled out some kid. All hed done is come in with some of his dads old 40k models (early 90s) and ask what they were etc. Guy thought he was trying to sell them so sperged out and raged at him. Otherwise aside from being pushy theyre not a bad bunch.

The one in Chester is wayyyy pushier, was visiting and popped my head in. Nobody inside and soon had all the staff surrounding me asking what I was buying. Actually put me off buying anything they were so pushy.
>>
>>79745666
Hobby stuff in general is big here, I have a specific remote control racing store in the next village populated by either mid life crisis dads or turbo spergs. The next village after has the nearest FLGS which is also mid life crisis dads and younger card players. Its fairly big as the next biggest hobby stores are Bradford or Leeds.
>>
>>79737829
Neat dks
>>
>>79739173
Looks cool as fuck, I bet people not knowing what Warhammer is think it's an underground fight club.
>>
>>79715855
My store has had its ups and downs over the years. It went through 4 managers and the 4th has been there for a good 2 years. The first guy was pretty decent, a bit standoffish at times but never excessively retarded. Second guy was generally pretty chill to me, but was a pretty huge dick later on, and in his last few months turned on me too. Our third guy was suuuuper chill, genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever known, and a great player as well. He didn't give a shit about actually selling models though, so he got booted out by the company after a while. Fourth and current guy is also pretty chill, and fun to play against. He does treat his job seriously however, and can on occasion be a bit pushy with the sales, but never to the point of annoyance. He's increased the store's revenue dramatically so GW is very keen on keeping him around.

In regards to the playerbase, it's about as mixed a bag as you can get. We have everything from powergamers to hobby heroes, newbies to veterans and everything in-between. The diversity in the player base actually can make the store a lot of fun, because you can pretty much play any type of game you want. AoS and 40k have good representation, and even some specialist stuff like Warcry an Killteam are pretty popular.

There are 3 GWs with an hour of each other in my area, the one north of us sucks major ass, all powergamers, but the one south of us is actually pretty alright, and is a good spot to play Necromunda.
>>
Good staff, but mostly come back for the other patrons. Everyone is really helpful and most are fun to play against.
Nearby coffee shop is good.
Play a variety of games and armies.
Fair few slightly WAAC-y players, but most know how to tone it down.

Haven't been for nearly 2 years, though. Got busy, then covid. Have a group chat with a lot of them though.
>>
>>79739480
suck his cock
>>
>>79715855
My local GW is 300km away and i have never been there.
>>
>>79744878
They say vape shops and phone repair stores are the sign of a dying high street.
>>
>>79736189
Are you me? Only difference, all my warp talons are basic bitch ones.
>>
>>79745939
We used to go to Toppers for stuff back in the day before GW arrived. It went quite GW but still had Avalon Hill, SJG, TSR etc.

I dont think ppl now remember GW turning up and basically destroying an entire industry of publishers, manufacturers and retailers. They were extremely aggressive. You can see things changing if you look at WD from the 80s going into early 90s its not wargaming or Rpgs, its "the GW hobby" and the whole thing is Citadel catalogue content.

Absolute cunts and I see nothing has changed. Thanks for reading an old mans blog
>>
>>79739488
>One in belfast, civilisation stops in rest of Norn Iron, the Highlands and Cornwall.

Pretty accurate.
>>
>>79751206
>greggs is the symbol of civilization
truly, anglos are fucked in the head
>>
>>79716418
>>79718606
>going to good games next door and not combat company instead
>>
>>79744436
What bass ackwards country do you live in? Or what little hick town have you never travelled out of?

I didn't know they'd rebranded to Warhammer until the just over a year ago but at least I knew where the nearest GW store was even after it, thankfully, relocated from the mall.
>>
>>79716720
Dafuq. Almost got hit by the truck of peace.
>>
>>79745666
I think italy has a very strong one too tbf
>>
>>79733293
That's why that's all women are good for, otherwise they wouldn't be able to hold that over men's heads as the only commodity they have. And, men simp for it.
>>
>>79740724
kek
>>
>>79737984
>or this one obese goth girl painting flesh eater courts or genestealer cults to avoid her home life
Fuck I remember hitting on and ending up fucking the chubby emo cutie that painted nids in the one I went too. We'd get to all sorts of crazy stuff like painting after sex, pegging and she'd roleplay a sister of battle... Why the fuck did your family have to move Jemma? ;-; can never see a genestealer without missing that thicc edgy ca/tg/irl
>>
File: 1577315982581.png (1.14 MB, 1134x882)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>79751340
Give me a Steak Bake and a Raspberry Lemonade or give me death!
>>
>>79715855
A woman got raped at my GW store by an employee, so they shut the store down for a year now. Don't think it's coming back again.
>>
>>79752893
I guess he took being a pushy salesman a bit too far
>>
>>79716720
>Bradford has like ten mosques next to one another because they keep burning the mills down
What the fuck does this mean?
>>
>>79743128
>yes that means people too.
No it doesn't. Gyppos aren't people, anon
They just had the shows set up in my town last week and the rec is still in a fucking state because of them.
>>
>>79715855
It fucking stinks and the caretaker showers once a week.
>>
i don't have one, just a wall of gw stuff at my local toy shop

>>79753814
bradford used to be a textile manufacturing centre
>>
>>79753814
It means don't go to Bradford if you can help it, no matter how much they lie about the gasworks being worth it for a night out, it's not. It's shit and the city smells like rotten kebabs and bad curry
>>
>>79744878
When I lived in London there were loads of shops that seemed to only sell luggage and shitty rugs/mirrors that I assumed must be fronts for drugs/money laundering, same with the restaurants that never seem to have anybody in them even in the evening.
>>
>>79754127

The luggage and gift shops are part of an Afghani tax evasion operation, if you Google it there's articles about it.
>>
>>79715855
90% of the time its just empty, and if you dare go inside you will be ambushed by the lonely retail worker who will blabber nonstop about lore you dont care about. The other 10% its packed to the brim with people there for some event, but majority of the conversation topics where to find a bathroom because the store has none
>>
>>79717698
They don't want you to paint the models anon, their system is literally designed to discourage you while making you still buy lots of paints. There is a reason that the GW drones and paypigs play with models that aren't even undercoated.
>>
File: averageGW.jpg (499 KB, 2048x1536)
499 KB
499 KB JPG
>>79715855
It's this one. I'm not even joking. No words needed.
>>
>>79717735
The Edinburgh store doesn't have tables any more? It used to have about 12.
>>
>>79719222
Say that to that lads face.
He's got some arms on him
>>
>>79717817
My favourite thing was the massive amount of stock they had packed into every possible corner, you could actually browse through and find shit you'd never heard of and then the catalogues for the bitz service. Now there's literally no reason to enter a GW store.
>>
>>79754146
Got any links as my googling is coming up with nothing.
>>
>>79715855
It used to be really good, small, but good. I was once the manager there for a minute because I won a bet with the then manager, a great Scottish bloke who was super friendly, involved and loved the community. He even gave my brother some oop goblin stuff for his army.
Then the Kirbying happened, he moved on, and it went to shit and became a corporate hell hole. I'm not saying the managers were necessarily bad, but shit sucked because it stopped having that club house vibe.
It's since moved to a new location but I stopped going years back, I go to my flgs, Harlequins, now. It's cheaper, friendlier, has that club vibe, has food and a toilet, and sells better games. I can play anything I want, not just gw's trainwrecks.

>>79753814
Probably paid doing what they do in Sweden, destroying the culture of the country to enforce theirs on the people. Pakis are a fucking disease. Exterminating them should be legal.
>>
>>79719347
>Nids, Chaos and Guard V Tau, Necrons and Nids.
Should have been nids, nids and chaos vs guard, tau and necrons
>>
>>79726277
Fuck off autist, he could have just asked 'for what army' instead of acting like an entitled cunt
>>
>>79754442
Look at his head tho kek
>>
>>79726051
Yeah if you're a tax evading paedophile
>>
File: geedubs.png (626 KB, 569x430)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>79715855
I go down to the London Flagship store on Tottenham Court Road semi-often. It feels very stagnant compared to small-town Geedubs or the GW's of 5/10 years ago, never seen a game be played there despite how they have some small tables set up. On the flip side, the staff are pretty chill, had a conversation about repainting some warhammer fantasy orcs with one of the redshirts relatively recently. I think the manager is a bit more "gw drone", but I have a feeling they don't try and push shit onto me any more because I'm obviously not super interested. There's a female staff member who's given some great advice in the past as well, and she's pretty cute. It definitely doesn't feel "flagship", but there are so many FLGS' in Landan that its not super surprising.
>>
>>79754651
You planning to do anything about it, pussy?
>>
>>79755062
Every store in lahndan is a "falgship" for the dumb tourists visiting that shithole built on a swamp. Something between getting stabbed and begged for money "to get back home to birmingham" from polish druggies.
>>
>>79737984
>whole in the wall
They're a diamond dozen
>>
>>79718606
What?? but doesn't evvery Aussie use FW and resin shit? isnt it cheaper than gw plastics how could they ban it
>>
>>79737984
Check your dates nigger, you're obviously talking total shit
>>
>>79755431
Other than the Tottenham Court Road store, every single geedubs in london is out in the suburbs, are you high? Also, what fucking tourist is going to go buy wargaming miniatures on their holiday. I quasi-agree that london is a shithole though, you just need to find the nice bits that you like and stick to them, but that's the same with every city.
>>
>>79744009
/tg/ is a British board you filthy colonial
>>
>>79749193
I got one old white dwarf from when it was a general magazine and it looked great
>>
>>79754086
Yes but why does mills burning down mean there are ten mosques?
>>
>>79754401
Just one word: SOUL
>>
>>79755824
because now the mills are gone the muzzies move in. need to pray somewhere now that bongland is like 20% them
>>
File: spaghettbolognese.png (816 KB, 894x433)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
Greetings from Italy, we treat em as they deserve
>>
File: hdoks9sq9ea61.jpg (243 KB, 1200x817)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>79755757
>Also, what fucking tourist is going to go buy wargaming miniatures on their holiday
>>
>>79716439
I used to work in a gaming store. The worst was the time a Yu Gi Oh player shat on the bathroom floor
>>
>>79717929
I used to work in GW in the Arndale. When I moved to Groningen in the Netherlands, the biggest shock to me was that the logo was white
>>
>>79754401
Id like to talk into a gaming store and see people doing things other than just playing again. i remember learning how to build and paint in one but nowdays you dont even see people open product there anymore.
>>
>>79757540
The Manchester store benefits from Fanboy3 being a collasal shit hole, but the Stockport shoebox was destroyed by Element games opening up.
>>
>>79722353
Fuck, that's exactly what drove me from my gw.
>>
>>79754854
Still got some catching up to do to get to Isle of Man.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.