[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: osr.png (25 KB, 300x250)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General, the thread dedicated to TSR-era D&D, derived systems, and compatible content.

Broadly, OSR games encourage a tonal and mechanical fidelity to Dungeons & Dragons as played in the game's first decade - less emphasis on linear adventures and overarching meta-plots and a greater emphasis on player agency.

If you are new to the OSR, welcome! Ask us whatever you're curious about. We'll be happy to help you get started on this playstyle.

>Troves, Resources, Blogs, etc:
http://pastebin.com/9fzM6128

>Need a starter dungeon? Here's a curated collection:
https://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/75631028/#75663784

>Previous thread:
>>79689124

Thread Question:
What's the coolest adventure/session you've run or played in?
>>
File: 1623182082688.pdf (53 KB, PDF)
53 KB
53 KB PDF
Want to contribute to the thread but don't know where to start? Roll 1d8 (dice+1d8 in the "options" field) on the table below!
Tag your post with [OC] if you want it archived at osrgcontent.blogspot.com.

>1. Make a spell
>2. Make a monster
>3. Make a dungeon setpiece
>4. Make a wilderness setpiece
>5. Make a magic item
>6. Make a class, race, or race-as-class
>7. Make a 4-10 room dungeon
>8. Roll 2d8 and combine.
>>
File: 351820-sepik.jpg (4.2 MB, 5382x3251)
4.2 MB
4.2 MB JPG
>>79714767
>tq
Unironic Magnificient Seven scenario in a setting with a points of light via Colonial Americas 17th-18th century vibes. Fun times had by all, and got to flex a kind of setting based on something I'm more familiar with instead of struggling with pseudo-Tolkienian Europe, which just doesn't quite click as well in my brain.
>>
File: YOU_MAKE_ME_PUKE.png (668 KB, 2430x1660)
668 KB
668 KB PNG
Dungeon Crawl Classics has ruined playing a warrior for me in any other system
>>
File: musket.jpg (40 KB, 372x619)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>79714983
Nice. Always loved that time period. I especially liked going for an old west vibe pre usual old west times (so before civil war and before revolvers are semi-common). There is just something really dramatic about quick draws with only one shot per gun, dead or alive in one roll. then you can get into sword combat. Also, just love the aesthetic and culture of the early modern period.
>>
>>79715065
Agreed. Also as an American playing with other Americans, it's just easier for us to get into the vibe. No one's trying to picture the intricacies of another culture. When I say "look, this setting is based on Colonial Americas," they instantly get it and everyone's more comfortable because that's our actual personal history. And it's much easier to put yourself in the head of a pirate or wilderness bandit than some old Italian mercenary that you didn't do any real reading about.
>>
File: nier.jpg (725 KB, 1920x1079)
725 KB
725 KB JPG
>>79714767
so how manly small things should i steal from nier for my next campaign?
>>
>>79715099
There is a very topical question I could ask about your setting
>>
>>79715155
Don't be a pussy brother, say it with your chest.
>>
Do you do a Session 0 for an osr campaign?
>>
>>79715099
True. And the good part is, there is a wide range of potential "themes" you can go for. very wilderness heavy, almost hexcrawlish if you are out in wild country. Or more politicking and urban adventures and social/spy stuff in your bostons and philies. Or you can easily do a globe troating adventure on a whaling ship (i did this once and it probably one of my favorites with my groups, as you might expect, heavy moby dick feel, and a bit of hp lovecraft). Or you can always do underground railroad shit for some stealth. Or bountyhunting.

There wasa an rpg called arcana 1784 or something like that that I cant seem to find online anymore. It was fantasy revolutionary era stuff where magic came to the world and destroyed the old world, wish I could find.
>>
>>79715202
Sounds rad, and yeah I agree that as a potential setting, you can really fit anything in it.
>>
File: the_troll_pill2.jpg (127 KB, 925x520)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
How long did it take for you to get based and trollpilled /osr/?
>>
>>79712688
>>79712710
>>79712723

A dungeon setpiece with a magic item and a spell.

The Hydroponics Lab

Here, strange plants grow, roots suspended in tanks of water. The room is completely dark. There are 4d6 servings of each plant available, except for the Black Lotus. Players can eat them in the obvious way (eating the asparagus stalks, drinking sundew or pitcher plant fluid, both of which are sweet but acidic, eating fruits)

The plants are:

-Long, blood red asparagus stalks.
-A pale sundew, covered in orange, honeyed hair.
-Golden woodsorrel, four-leaved. You must eat the root; the leaves are so sour they burn on the tongue.
-Bitter turnips, blue in color, growing with their points curving out of the ground. The leaves are transparent, with blue veins.
-Large, violet pitcher plants. They smell like violets as well.
-A tiny, entirely white pear tree bearing massive white pears.
>>
>>79715198
Fun fact! The idea of a session zero is not new and dates all the way back to the original pre-D&D sessions. It's just they weren't faggots, so they didn't call it that and didn't have touchey-feely "please no bad things" conversations. They rolled up some characters with the referee's strict oversight, met some NPCs, then got their asses into the dungeon or wilderness.
>>
>>79715575
When a player eats a plant, roll d8 for the effect, ignoring repeats of other plants' effects, and remember what this plant does.

1: A nourishing food. Regain a hit point (maximum one per character).
2: A stimulating food, imprinted with some of the memories of he who planted this garden. For 2d6 exploration rounds, you have 30 feet of infravision.
3: Antidote to a rare poison present in your campaign. If nobody is poisoned, the effect will not be known. Tastes like seaweed.
4: This plant has anti-radioactive effects. Save at +2 against rays or beams of energy for 1d3 days. Ingesting the plant has a 1/2 chance of dealing d3 damage due to toxicity.
5: Very tasty, but non-addictive food. Would be worth d6+1 times as much as any of the other plants here to a surface chef.
6: Extremely, unpleasantly sweet. Slightly addictive. Save at +4 against addiction, and if addicted, roll d10 every day until cured or you roll a 10. If you rolled a 1, you must consume this plant or lose 1 point of CON. Each point of lost CON has a one-in-six chance of being regained for each day of rest taken once the character is not longer addicted.
7: A hallucinogen. Save or hallucinate for 2d6 exploration rounds. Addictive as in 5. Find secret doors and check for traps with one less pip for the rest of the day as you are distracted by minor hallucinations of spiders and suchlike.
8: The eater suffers a dysentery attack in d4 hours. Dysentery deals d6 damage, and causes another dysentery attack in as many hours. This process continues until cured.

The plants are not magical.

d3 garden golems (5 hit dice, armor as plate, four pincers for 1d4/pc, move 20 feet) guard the plants, and will attack anyone who disturbs the plants. They are made of moist celite, with ivory pincers, and look like xorn. Each pincer blade is worth 100gp as raw ivory.

In the center of the room is a pool of water in which a single enchanted Black Lotus grows. Around the pool is an inscription in a dead language.
>>
>>79715473
I like my trolls (and giants) having only 3 fingers and 3 toes. They count in base 6 and their numbers confuse my players.

the wisest of the giants get 3 eyes, too.
>>
File: Sutherland Party.jpg (93 KB, 500x418)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
I have some questions about White Box Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game and its pdf and print editions.

The printed books at Drivethru, Lulu, and Amazon are all the "second printing" version from 2017. The most recent version of the pdf is 2.1 as of last April--see seattle-hill-games.blogspot.com. Note that he says "finally updated."

Does the v2.1 update bring an older pdf in line with the 2017 "second printing" of the hardcopy? Or are the changes in v2.1/2020 changes from the 2017 version? If the latter: are the changes in 2.1 significant, are they noted anywhere online, and is 2.1 available in print anywhere?

Is there an art-free/text-only/printer-friendly or SRD version of these rules anywhere?

Thanks.
>>
File: fullwidth.9ef0470c.jpg (406 KB, 970x595)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
>>79714767
has anyone utilized the concept of time dilation when running a dungeon?

also how would varying levels of regional time dilation affect civilisations and societies within a setting?
for example with one of my settings the large underground expanse underneath the zone a single day equals around seven in the outside world
which if 300 years pass in the outside world
only approximately 42 will have passed in the underground
>>
>>79715674

The Black Lotus:

When you eat this plant in its entirety, regain spell slots of total level at most 3 (a 2nd level spell slot and a 1st level spell slot, a 3rd level spell slot, three or fewer 1st level spell slots, or a 2nd level spell slot). Also, immediately prepare spells for each of these slots. You may prepare only spells in your spellbook, but do not need to read the spellbook in this case. If you are not a spellcaster the lotus has no effect. Eating the entire lotus, which is large, takes an exploration round.

The inscription around the pool is the spell:

Fumigate
3rd level Magic User spell
Every life form in a 50-foot cube smaller than a dog dies. The fumes permeate bodies of water, penetrate porous stone, and reach inside of living macroscopic creatures, killing gut microbiomes. Creatures with one hit die must save or die, and everything else organic takes a hit point of damage per hit die and has persistent digestive problems until cured with probiotics (missing gut flora is not a disease.)

Reading the inscription aloud automatically casts fumigate; the spell is specifically designed not to harm the plants in the hydroponics lab.
>>
>>79715202
Its not arcana 1784 but there is Times that Fry Men's Souls. Its a colonial america hex crawl for osr stuff. I only skimmed it but it looked cool.
>>79715736
I like how Thulian Echoes does time as a dungeon. Otherwise I haven't encountered it well, although I am considering a room that when entered transports everyone back outside the wizard tower were they can see a group of humanoids about to ambush the party before they went into the dungeon and just run with that.
>>
>>79715027
Last time I played 5e, I tried to do something creative. Inspired by DCC, I asked if I could sacrifice my move action to juke around and make it harder to hir me. Nope, not even on my birthday would I be allowed to make a check that would possibly make that happen. Fuck that constraint.
>>
>>79715786
I forgot to add this. The black lotus is addictive. Save (without bonuses) or addicted. Then, roll a d6 every day until you roll three sixes in a row or are cured three times. If you roll a 1, you need to consume black lotus that day or you lose a point of CON. Lost CON can be recovered at a 1/6 chance for every day of rest once the addiction is over.
>>
>>79715959
That's a referee problem, not a system one. This is not to defend 5E, it's shit. But that is a problem with the referee literally ignoring advice in the DMG to make shit up if its fun. He should have let you make a Dex check to impose disadvantage on the next attack made against you.
>>
>>79715473
When anon posted the concept art for the three troll gods in the back of this.
>>
File: fighting man.jpg (60 KB, 388x512)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>79714767
>What's the coolest adventure/session you've run or played in?
AD&D, rolled a fighter who slew hydras, hated asps with a fiery a passion, and made a dragon piss itself and flee before him.
Fuck I miss my old group...
>>
>>79715959
>>79715992
this is know as the "dodge" action in 5e, and it requires a main action (or a bonus action if you are a rogue)

I'm not saying 5e isn't shit but there's a reason your DM didn't let you do this.
>>
>>79716255
Dodge applies to everything until your next turn without any rolls at all. Using a lesser action to get a lesser version of something is supported by the rules.
>>
>>79714767
Would it be reasonable in a gonzo setting to have gold be common with a dirt cheap similar value to copper and the standard expensive currency to be crystal gemstones, spelljammer plastic, purple dust, glowing ichor or some other kind of weird bullshit instead.
>>
>>79716493
bro, anything is reasonable in a gonzo setting. It's gonzo.
>>
>>79714767
Magic users are proficient in clubs darts slings crossbows quaterstaves and one handed spears if wielded in two hands
Any thoughts?
>>
Are there any databases/spreadsheets/tables comparing different versions of spells across D&D editions?
>>
>>79717846
Look for Delta's Spells through the ages series
>>
>>79713860
Still doesn’t explain how you have time to hand draw hexes on loose leaf paper but you can use hex paper to draw maps? If anything you could map faster on hex paper.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (47 KB, 514x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>First time writing up materials for Stars Without Number
>Not my own stuff but porting it from a setting my friends like
>Alien races that I need to stat up for people to play as include:
>Humans
>Greys
>Green Humans
>Ginger Humans
>Energy vampires
>Talking trees
>Klingons but birds
>The Borg but religious
>Sentient maths in robot shells that control space-time
>Four-armed cyborg insectoid warriors that eat people
>An entire race of Perfect Cells (if they feel like it)
>Gaseous aliens that can possess anything electronic
1. Did I bite off more than I can chew?
2. How important is balance in your games, /osrg/?
Thank god nobody expects me to have this done any time soon.
>>
>>79715607
>and didn't have touchey-feely "please no bad things" conversations
But how else am I supposed to weed out the weird perverts and weebs?
>>
File: litterjack.png (38 KB, 715x780)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>79715992
Awe, come on bro. Just let me roll to get a mechanical advantage bro. Awe, really dude? You won't let me roll the math rocks for it? You're not going to let me constantly squeeze out mechanical advantages by halting the game to ask if I can make stupid rolls all the time? You're no fun, man. A good DM would let me!
>>
>Here's your megadungeon, bro
>>
>>79718716
This shit is why I want to run a human-only SWN game in a sector where they've wiped out intelligent aliens during the Second Wave.
If I were you I'd probably ask them beforehand which races they want to play and only stat out those, and then stat out the rest as people actually want to play them, or agree on like four races everyone considers playable, and then leave the rest as unplayable.
Statting out twelve races when half of them probably won't even be played seems like a hassle.
>>
>>79715177
>>79715155
>>79715099
Do your campaigns give the party opportunities for buck breaking and doe dicking activity?
>>
>>79715720
Even the basic PDF has the art I'm pretty sure, and there's no SRD
>>
>>79714767
How do you (or would you) guys go about including skills?

My inclinations lean toward the modular, so currently I've got a system where strength dictates inventory (how much stuff you can carry) and intelligence dictates skills (how many different "specialized" or "Difficult" talents or abilities you possess) - being able to read and write in a single language, knowing how to craft medicine, etc. I'm starting to feel like I should keep things simple though, and that kind of modular design encourages "The rules don't say you can so you can't" type thinking.
>>
>>79714767
What's the most elegantly designed system in the OSR?
>>
>>79719836
There's rules for languages already, if you want a skill system play RuneQuest

why does everyone try to force D&D into being RQ
>>
>>79719040
fuck off buttonsfag
>>
What should I replace clerics with if I remove them? Alchemists that look for ingredients in dungeons?
>>
>>79719644
Maybe if erp, but we dont tend to do those.
>>
>>79720087
Something that heals
>>
>>79720087
>>79720109
If you're going to cut clerics don't put another healer in, that's just being a pussy
>>
>>79718716
You bit off way more than you need, rather than can chew. Make 4 or 5 of them. Don't worry about the rest until after you're already playing. Don't worry about the odder choices or just port directly over the AI stuff from swon.
Balance isn't very important.
It'll be okay. Its in space, but the stand by of
>prep a dungeon and nearby settlement
>start them in front of the dungeon
>make characters there
>have bits in the dungeon that lead to a larger world, prep the stuff they investigate
still stands.
Same with cawford's advice about prep.
>>
>>79719860
Into the Odd.
>>
>>79719860
LBB
>>
File: 1489180949003.jpg (69 KB, 1273x796)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
My SWN internet group fell apart because of the summer. Only people left are adhd pothead irl friends. What system would you recommend I run for them? Keep in mind they really are adhd potheads.
>>
>>79715968
>>79715786
>>79715674
>>79715575
>my players: don’t touch anything! Let’s just go to the next room!
>>
Anyone interested in seeing my shitbrew later? Amalgamation of rules, s&w complete as the base then heavily tweaked using rules from AD&D and B/X with a spell list to match.
>>
>>79720425
DCC unironically
>>
File: 46692033582_1dc21faa51_k.jpg (490 KB, 2048x1362)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
>>79719612
Mystery Flesh Pit is a neat idea, but possibly not a great RPG setting. What do the players /do/? How does a GM make exploration non-monotonous?
>>
>>79720659
PLayers trapped in the depths during an accident as the flesh pit becomes active suddenly
Fight their way out through the ruins of the park or delve deeper to untold horrors
>>
>>79720599
Always up for seeing some shitbrew. List of changes (ie What did you modify from your base ruleset) would be appreciated.
>>
File: happy_princess.jpg (27 KB, 198x248)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>79718992
>But how else am I supposed to weed out the weird perverts and weebs?
Staying off 4chan would be a good start
>>
I'm going to make a retroclone (I know please contain your excitement)

It's going to be closest to S&W Complete, without unified saving throw, or Ascending AC (maybe that can just be in brackets), a removal of silly amount of prose dedicated to babying you as if you don't know how to run a game, removing all the art, and probably removing the new initiative system

I want it to be like the OSE of OD&D + Supplements

Should I make it a bunch of cheap booklets, Player's Handbook, monsters, spell lists (though at prices much cheaper than Old School Essentials) or a big Tome? Obviously I could do both but I need something to work on first, what do you guys find more useful?
>>
>>79720633
It seems like super fun system but those funky dices man....
>>
>>79720087
Plague Doctors, re: the anon from two threads ago's idea regarding bloodletting for characters. Ideally, they'd be able to do all the same stuff as a Cleric, but at a cost - not necessarily enough of a cost to make the player think it's not worth it, but enough of a cost to make it a shade darker.

>>79720807
I would say do booklets first. You may be able to release them incrementally - focusing on individual elements of your retclones, perfecting them - and once those facets have been finished, then you can amalgamate them into a single volume edition with little more than layout changes.
>>
>>79720109
What if it's a west marches campaign and they aren't supposed to be able to heal themselves? Think Darkest Dungeon, with some heroes taking long rests in town and a different party every week (though the concept long predates that game I believe).
>>
>>79721070
Of course, this happened in Gary's campaigns, I think that's why the healing rates were so slow originally, but when you add in classes it should depend on your specific campaign setting, for example, adding a plague doctor adds in a huge suggestion of what kind of world this is

Personally, I'm partial to the Druid
>>
>>79715198
No. Character generation shouldn't take more than 15 minutes for a whole group of complete newbies and all other "session zero" activity is wank.
>>
What are some good resources for generating and running towns and town NPCs? I want to make a frontier town the PCs can return to between adventures and have stuff to do, factions to ally/negotiate/clash with, etc.
>>
>>79721315
>>
>>79715607
>They rolled up some characters with the referee's strict oversight, met some NPCs, then got their asses into the dungeon or wilderness.
That's not a session zero, then.

>It's just they weren't faggots, so they didn't call it that and didn't have touchey-feely "please no bad things" conversations.
That's not a session zero either, that's just establishing boundaries and has literally nothing to do with session zero, you could do that at literally any time.

Session zero is something you do for more complex systems/campaigns where character generation takes up more time and the setting and rules need to be firmly established before play so everyone is on the same page, and it's especially important for games that require characters to have established relationships with other characters and with the setting. OSR games don't really require a session zero due to their lightweight nature, but plenty of old school games benefit from it like Runequest, Traveller and Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>79721363
Thanks, anon, will read that. Do you have any suggestions on modules with good examples of frontier settlements?
>>
>>79720965
You know now that I'm finally reading OSE Advanced Fantasy I'm realizing it's close enough to what I want that I might not bother :)
>>
>he rolled a Thief-Acrobat
>>
>>79721486
>>79709740
>>
>>79715959
Umm you can't do that in dcc either?
>>
>>79719860
AD&D 2e
>>
>>79721452
Now the only problem that I'd like to figure out is this

B/X characters and OD&D + Greyhawk characters have about the same power levels, right? Any important distinctions I should note that would separate them?
>>
>>79720807
The question is, why?
It sounds like your stuff will be flavorless unlike 7VoZ.
Keep in mind, I have my own intentions to write an LBB "clone" but instead of trying to copy the LBB straight I intend to make it a translation of how it would look if I was running/playing it.
>>
>>79721739
Well the main point is compatibility but I'm seeing now that OSE Advanced Fantasy makes that irrelevant, the entire point was that there is no existing OD&D + Supplements retroclone that everyone agrees on, the closest things we have are OSE AF, Advanced Labyrinth Lord, and S&W Complete, and I hate S&W's changes and prose, and Advanced Labyrinth Lord makes some changes and is missing some stuff, but now, looking at OSE AF, I just think it's just about perfect, it has parrying, subdual, other stuff from Greyhawk and Strategic Review, it's plenty useable, and it makes everything exist at a power level consistent with OD&D or B/X, so the only thing you might need to do is some minor adjustments when running later AD&D modules
>>
>>79720718
Good idea, I'll post a change summary alongside the post when I gather everything.
>>
>>79721717
>B/X characters and OD&D + Greyhawk characters have about the same power levels, right?
Not really, B/X gives ability score adjustments easier, for one thing.
>>
>>79719836
It sounds like you want something like proficiencies from ACKS
>>
>>79718397
Thank you.
>>
>>79721928
I mean relative to B/X to AD&D conversions, I guess
>>
>>79719860
>What's the most elegantly designed system in the OSR?
>>79720387
>>79721691
LBB and AD&D are old-school, not OSR.
Without irony, Beyond the Wall and Through Sunken Lands are a tour de force of elegant design.
>>
>>79715119
All of them, steal heavy handedly.

>>79715575
>>79715674
>>79715786
Very good!
>>
Besides Hot Springs Isle and Isle of Dread, are there any other good island exploration hexcrawls out there, or am I just gonna have to write my own?
>>
>>79722498
I had fun with Lungfungus' Giant's Drown.
>>
>>79719860
Grow up and play 2e.
>>
>>79722562
Oh shit, that's great. Do you have any feedback/are you looking for more similar stuff because I have a draft of a 24 by 24 hexcrawl, I can send your way that has 7 dungeons.

Which of the dungeons did you like more, the Tomb or the Burial Temple?
>>
>>79721407
Only if you're playing BX or OD&D without supplements. If you're playing any adult's game you need it even in OSR related systems.
>>
>>79716493
I did something similar to this once and the biggest takeaway was that it was interesting for about the first three sessions and then it got tired. Gold is good because people (meaning the players) instantly associate it with value. Once weird bullshit becomes associated with value it no longer is weird bullshit—it's just money playing dress-up. Add to that that it takes an extra mental step for players to go "oh purple dust, I remember purple dust = money" when the game is first getting going, which just adds to the cognitive load for the players.
Not that that's necessarily a bad thing; changing money around is a simple way to communicate to the players that the campaign is different. Just be aware that a Weird element of your setting will lose its punch pretty quickly.

Something I'm doing in my current gonzo campaign is just have unique in-universe names for different coins. Copper coins are bits, silver are chips, gold are tokens, and platinum are plaudits. It seems to be working pretty well because the players don't have to remember anything new, but I can have NPCs refer to money with those terms to convey to the players that they're playing in what is supposedly a fantasy world distinct from our own.
>>
>>79718527
Because if I bring anything but the notepads they give me onto the floor they'll know I'm goofing off. As is I can at least draw them onto the paper and look like I'm writing figures down. Which I don't need to because I remember everything. I'd have to snuggle some tiny index cards with hexes printed and even then I'm probably gonna copy the map in happy with onto something larger anyway later on. I just keep being disasstified with the maps I make.
>>
>>79722498
Dis you run hoy springs? How was it?
>>
>>79723697
English, do you know it?
>>
>>79723697
It's extremely good. I'd consider it a gold standard as far as setting guides / hexcrawls are concerned.
>>
>>79723054
You know your caseworker was just trying to make you feel better when she told you you were special, right anon?
>>
>>79719938
You have profoundly misunderstood the discussion surrounding player creativity vs. "pressing buttons" within the OSR. You are retarded and will never be a real woman, I'm sorry to say.
>>
>>79724065
lol, ok.
>>
>>79723038
I sure am looking for similar stuff!

I don't have much feedback as I basically reskinned it to be more tropical. It was very good for my first hexcrawl, though, so thank you for making it!

As for the dungeons, I liked the Burial Temple because of the frogmen, though the ghost that makes you drown was pretty fun too.
>>
What mass combat rules should I use for AD&D or 2e?
>>
>>79724413
Chainmail
>>
>>79724324
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/k2ux42uc277bl/Finished_SoB_content

Everything should be there
>>
>>79725707
Thank you!
>>
>>79720659

Your players aren't up in the playpen they keep the tourists in giving guided tours to well tipping yuppies.

Your players are down in the real hole, with the real guns, holding the real line against the real monsters.
>>
>>79724413
Battlesystem
>>
Does anyone know of any guides on how to repair the binding on old TSR modules? I just picked up a couple OG AD&D mods but almost all of them are falling out of the covers.
>>
>>79716493
>Not using cacao beans as a base currency.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d8)

>>79714781
Roll
>>
>>79726176
I think there's a bunch of stuff on the forum of the acaeum
>>
>>79726107
Is Battlesystem worth looking into or was it just a TSR cash grab? I almost never hear about it nowadays.
>>
>>79726757
It’s not the greatest mass battle system out there, but it does stat up the AD&D monsters (and by extension, the Basic D&D monsters) for mass combat

It was made to compete directly with Warhammer Fantasy

You could probably actually use WHFB, but there’s a lot of D&D monsters missing from the WHF lists
>>
>>79725707
Thank you. Could you put it all together in a zip? MF requires dl-ing one file at a time.
>>
>>79724413
Delta's Book of War.
>>
>>79723390
If you can’t figure out how to put a piece of paper inside your notebook then I understand why you work in a factory.
>>
>>79726961
Book of War seems to be good for what I want to run, but it assumes you play OD&D (I run it only once long time ago) and I would like to be able to convert some homebrew monsters.
>>
>>79721363
Nayrt but thanks for posting this it seems perfect for spicing up this city my players are soon to be spending time in.
>>
>>79726362
It's always magic items isn't it?

Lockbox of the Miser's Aspect

This cursed object activates when unlocked. Each activation expends a single charge, and the item starts with 2d6 charges. The lockbox is small, empty, and secured with a mundane lock. When activated, whoever opened the box is physically, but not mentally, transformed into Malloc the Miser, the magic user who created the box. Malloc has 5 DEX, 11 STR, 4 CON, 5 CHA, 6 hit dice and 11 hit points. He weighs 125 pounds. The transformation lasts for 4d6 hours or until dispelled. The victim has Malloc's voice for the duration of the curse; less intelligent bystanders will believe he is Malloc.
>>
File: apple.jpg (1.21 MB, 2048x2048)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>79719836
>skills
First, assume competence. A D&D-land adventurer should be able to tie a rope, light a fire, pitch a tent, drive a wagon, ride a horse, find and cut a satisfactory club or 10' pole in the wilderness, and more.
That said, I've run ACKS, and I like it's proficiency system well enough. It does channel players somewhat; every time I've run it I mention to players they can ask for other things of similar power, and no one ever does.
>>79720087
>replace clerics with if I remove them
Priests, and take the opportunity to lose heavy armor as a class proficiency. Keep healing and many of the same spells, but go to a roll-each-time mechanic to differentiate them from mages.
>>79719860
Core mechanics, Whitehack. Domain play, ACKS.
>>79720599
Spell list to match which? I'm increasingly a fan larger spell lists.
>shitbrew
Never mind, keep it to yourself. Or have some pride and don't call it that.
>>79720807
>what do you guys find more useful
Running a game I already have.
If it's a labor of love for you carry on, but your description makes it sound like you're splitting hairs pretty finely as compared to options already out there.
>>79721315
Vornheim has some useful content, though I didn't use as much of the book as I expected given its initial reviews.
ACKS has some class/level demographics that might be useful for a starting point, but doesn't get into personalities and factions, you'd have to bring that yourself.
Scenic Dunnsmouth is properly an adventure (/generator), but I think it'd be cool to roll one up and use it as the starting home base town and just see how long it took the party to investigate, without being hooked or quested into doing so.
Kingdoms of Kalamar had a few city-specific softcovers if you didn't want to do the work yourself. I don't recall if any were called out as "frontier towns" but a couple were independent city-states.
>>79721363
Nice, thanks.
>>79722498
Bad Myrmidon actually looks decent, if you don't mind the creator.
>>
File: 1600451004397.png (584 KB, 729x770)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
>>79726757
Domains at War is better, and would work for any of the B/X line not just ACKS, but there may be differences using it for AD&D.
>>79727726
>I would like to be able to convert some homebrew monsters
Domains can handle this as well, but since its ACKS you'll get into some math at that point.
>>
File: lodosswar_character01.png (628 KB, 799x825)
628 KB
628 KB PNG
>>
>>79728819
Rolling again. This is a great way to force myself to make stuff for my own campaigns
>>
>>79728840
I agree, I decided that OSE Advanced Fantasy is exactly what I wanted to begin with, and the power levels between OD&D + Greyhawk and BD&D characters are close enough that it really doesn't matter anyway, I'm probably just going to pick up a copy of OSE AF or Advanced Labyrinth Lord at some point and call it a day
>>
Rolled 2 (1d8)

>>79729358
Lol, oops
>>
I have decided to finally stop lurking, looking at different systems, and theorycrafting, and actually run my first campaign. I'm going to kick it off by running Tomb of the Skerples Meme with Labyrinth Lord. I'm all prepped and ready to go, now it's time to start advertising for players on Reddit and Discord. Wish me luck, bros.
>>
>>79729148
I had always heard Lodoss was AD&D but finding out recently that it was BECMI (which makes perfect sense) warms my heart

I found a local store that runs games, the group convenes on discord, I might bite the bullet and use it just to keep in touch with them although I hate discord
>>
>>79729508
Well, until it had to change.
I've scoured and can find no "OSR" Sword World, unfortunately.
>>
>>79729523
The Lodoss Companion RPG is getting a fanslation though
>>
>>79729552
Cool. Any info you can spare me?
>>
>>79720659
>What do the players /do/?
Go after parts of the Pit that are worth a lot of money if recovered. There's all sorts of weird shit that adventurers could encounter - especially in a Barrier Peaks/Gamma World sense, where they're medieval people puzzling through high-tech facility. Different organs give you different dungeon areas.

I think it could work really well.
>>
>>79724231
Stop projecting you mental illness on everyone who disagrees with you.
>>
File: check knight.jpg (281 KB, 692x997)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>79729411
Good luck, anon.
>>
>>79729592
I know there's a google doc somewhere, I can't find it
>>
File: siphonophore.jpg (265 KB, 1428x1077)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>79729403
The monster:

Ancient Siphonophore
Hit Dice: 2
AC: 7
Save: As level 10 magic user
Attacks: Sting (1 HP plus paralysis)
Move: 10 feet in combat. Completely immobile and dies in d6 minutes if not totally submerged in water.
Alignment: Lawful or Neutral

The siphonophore communicates eagerly by telepathy, and asks questions about what life is like outside of water. It has lived for thousands of years. It is benevolent and mildly bioluminescent (10 ft). It is nothing but a nervous system and a floating lattice stinging cells. Anyone stung by it must make a save or be paralyzed for 2d6 exploration rounds.

A non-chaotic (non-evil if all magic users are chaotic) magic user of intelligence 13 or greater will be propositioned by the siphonophore. It wants him to allow it to replace his spinal cord and brain stem, so that it may explore the dry part of the world. If he agrees and submerges himself in the water, the creature fuses with him permanently. There is a Y-40+5X percent chance the magic user survives the fusion, where X is the number of magic user levels he has, and Y is his chance of raise dead survival. If he survives, he is severely injured (reduced to 1hp with d6 CON damage, but not reduced to 0 CON or 0 HP). He regains a point of CON with probability 1/2 for every day of rest he takes.

The magic user gains (1d6+1)*1000 XP, as well as encyclopedic knowledge of all aspects of the native body of water of the siphonophore, stretching back 4d100 millenia. The magic user also loses d3-1 points of wisdom due to his new permanent split personality, and for the same reason, is immune to ESP. Direct mind reading works, though. Chaotic magic items no longer work for the magic user. Of the effects of fusion with the siphonophore, the siphonophore knows all but the fact that chaotic magic items will become useless. He will tell the magic user about the risks and rewards.
>>
>>79729411
Good luck!
>>
>>79729508
The Slayers is the big fantasy anime that started with an AD&D campaign.
>>
>>79730923
Did not know it was a campaign, but it makes sense
>>
>[OC]
>class/monster
Enchanter/Sorcerer/Archmage
For enchanters of legend such as Circes or Merlin, for name level mages who acquire powers beyond those of leveled spells, and at a meta-game level, for spellcasting foes and NPCs who won't go down like chumps against a party of PCs.
HD: d6
AC: +3 from various magical protections, or +1 if using other magical protections. They do not wear armor.
Spellcasting of traditional spells as mages equal to their hit dice. In addition, the following spell-like abilities:
All have some affinity with one specific animal, monster, humanoid, or most rarely, dragon type. In all cases they can converse with their affinity, and always begin with the most favorable reaction roll (though modifiers from behavior or circumstances are still possible). If a small common animal, they can summon swarms of them. Medium sized animals can be summoned in numbers equal to their Charisma + HD. Large dangerous animals, and common monsters, can be summoned in HD equal to the Enchanter's HD+Charisma. Humanoids seek the caster out, in numbers again equal to HD+Cha, but cannot be instantly summoned. Young dragons will serve the caster only in HD limited to the greater of HD OR Charisma, but the sorcerer will also receive counsel and guestright with an older dragon of that type.
Scrying, powerful, but always with a certain limitation. Within a range of 1 mile per HD this takes 1 turn, and farther than that 1 hour. If the character's affinity is for an animal or monster no larger than a housecat, they can see through any such creature's eyes and hear through it's ear. If their affinity is larger, they choose an element. Either using a large bowl of water and only scrying near bodies or surfaces of water (as small as an open goblet if pure water), or using fire and incense and only scrying near open flame (as small as a candle). Or some equivalent unique limitation.
[1/2]
>>
>>79731053
[2/2]
One non-damaging spell, as a spell-like ability, a number of times per day equal to twice their HD/spell level. Bestow Curse and Polymorph Other are likely options, but enchanters should be rare enough every choice is unique.
Any custom spells they have researched may be cast in place of any other spell of equal level they have memorized, making some formidably flexible.
Enchanters usually amass large libraries of magical research books and true spellbooks, as they seek to understand magic, and master or understand their own abilities. Their spell like abilities will not be found in their books, but many other spells may be.
Powerful enchanters may act as masters to apprentice and would-be mages, but only for normal spells. Even when they attempt it, they fail at teaching the full range of their own abilities. Students may either admire or resent such unique gifts.
Similarly, enchanters may have rivalries with name level mages, who envy the gifts they were born with or traded for.
>>
I found a group near me

They meet on days that I go to class and when they mentioned maybe meeting on other days for me to GM I mentioned running Delving Deeper and they were uninterested lmao
>>
File: metro 2033 anomaly.jpg (588 KB, 1680x1050)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
>>79714767
how well would your osr group fare agisnt s.t.a.k.e.r style magical anomalies if they were telagraphed in some fasion or other?
>>
>>79730923
>>79730938
> "Kanzaka played DnD and based Slayers off his campaign"
> readily believed by fans
https://kanzaka.fandom.com/wiki/Talk:Fanon
>>
>>79731217
>I mentioned running Delving Deeper
>they were uninterested lmao
no shit, the only people who care about retroclones are people who are already really into OSR. normies don't care about that and mentioning literally who retroclones is just going to make them think you want to play some weirdo shit
why not just tell them you're going to be running old school, "original edition" D&D?
>>
>>79731581
I did, I just mentioned that it was a clone of the original 1974 rules, I think they understand what it is, they said "sounds old school, but not my thing"

It's not like they think I'm running some random indie shit
>>
>>79731559
Well, alright

I do know that Malazan was GURPS though
>>
>>79731626
>I did, I just mentioned that it was a clone of the original 1974 rules, I think they understand what it is, they said "sounds old school, but not my thing"
you'd be surprised, and clone already implies that it's not the "real thing" so to speak. it's like the equivalent of rounding up a bunch of 5e players and saying
>hey guys, wanna meet up at my place this weekend and play this cool 5e knockoff I found? it's pretty much the same thing you guys will love it
they'd tell you no, fuck off, why aren't we just playing 5e then. your mileage will be a LOT better just telling them you want to play D&D and using the ruleset (if you want to actually use the retroclone and not the original ruleset) when they've shown up
>>
>>79731690
well I just said it's just old D&D, so that'll do it
>>
File: wourmn6ja1hnjbbfuu5o.jpg (65 KB, 695x479)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>shitty linear vanilla dungeons . . . but with TITS!
Is there a bigger hackjob than The Folio Black Label?
Besides Mort Bort.
>>
>>79724413
>>79728973

I second Domains at War, or if you like BECMI's War Machine which it's kinda based on. War Machine is made to be able to handle everything, but It's a little abstract.
>>
>>79731928
It needs to be to handle mass combat
>>
>>79731877
>The Folio Black Label
Never head of it. Got a link?
>>
>>79731932
Domains at War and War Machine both are mass combat, anon.
>>
>>79731877
Where’s the tits?
>>
>>79731985
No but I just mean, any mass combat system needs to be abstract
>>
Serious question, is it a bit much to be upset that you found an RPG group near you, and you can't meet on their day, and find out they have no interest in getting to know you in the slightest or try to work out another day to run stuff on, they don't seem like the busiest people, and I even offered to DM and they said they don't always have that, but it just seemed like they said, when I said I couldn't make it on Thursdays "that's too bad" and then chat went silent and then hours later the DM started asking people for their sheets

Am I expecting too much out of people? It just seems like nobody puts any effort into campaigns anymore, I would at least think, if they're part of an RPG club, they could at least talk to me, maybe ask if I wanna run anything else, figure out maybe we could meet for a one shot, I'm not saying they have to slobber on my dick but genuinely, waiting so long to find a group near me, and then realizing they're completely uninterested, I feel really upset
>>
File: 1619751699937.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>79732032
Oh, I get it now. Please accept this anime cheesecake in apology.
>>
Hope it goes well anon. Good luck!
>>
>>79732122
This isn't OSR.
>>
>>79732148
I'm trying to run OSR, but even if I wasn't, it's a shame that no one's interested, you've never had an experience like this?
>>
>>79732122
>when I said I couldn't make it on Thursdays "that's too bad" and then chat went silent and then hours later the DM started asking people for their sheets
They only play on Thursdays. They have their own lives otherwise. Try to make a group yourself that meets on a day that you can play
>>
>>79732122
It sounds like you poked an enclave of neckbeards with a stick, got the brushoff, and dodged a goddamn bullet.
>>
>>79732122
Your feelings are valid and that sucks anon. At the same time, I'm sure they have reasons for acting the way they do and it might be as simple as they're just checking the chat, but mostly go on about their day when not organizing a game.

Either way, it's tough when your invested in something and it seems like it might not work out. Sorry to hear that.
>>
>>79732206
>>79732210
>>79732243

Well they outright said "maybe we can meetup on other days, depending" And then the server owner said he wanted to start doing that

But then no actual discussion of this or talking to me about when this might work, I offered a day I'm free and talked about the system, I never said I was glued to that system, I can run other stuff, but they just never asked me about it at all, didn't even ask me where I live, nothing
>>
>>79732122
>and you can't meet on their day
>find out they have no interest in getting to know you in the slightest or try to work out another day to run stuff on
Too bad for you. What you probably don't realize is the day they have set now likely came from a lot of pain in the ass schedule shuffling they put up with before you came around. Plus you're a stranger. My 15+ year friend group has had to just exclude bros because 5 people could make Wednesday work and 2 couldn't.

>they don't seem like the busiest people
You don't know the first thing about these other grown human beings' lives and schedules.

Sorry it didn't work out but you're asking if you're in the wrong for expecting a group to change for one person: Yes.
>>
>>79732278
I never said change their day, but a few questions would be in order given that they all talked about adding additional days/campaigns
>>
>>79732300
I recommend giving them some time then. Maybe once they're a session or two in keep yourself available.
>>
>>79732122
I've been on the other side of this. I fell in with a meetup group for rpgs (and got some great games out of it). But there's only so many games most of our members can play in a week.
So we go through cycles at our monthly meetups. Sometimes we get a few new members at the same time, and they put a game together right away. (And sometimes they stay in touch, other times they drop off the face of the earth for as long as that game lasts.)
Other times someone shows up and offers to run, and they're pitching a game to a room full of GMs or booked up players. It's got to suck, and I feel bad for them sometimes, but there nothing personal in it.
What's best for new members in our meetup is to try to play in an open game. We usually have one drop in game available. Honestly there's a vetting element to this, but not in a bad way, just "do I get along with this person,, and do they seem like they'd be a good GM?"
All of which is to say - if there's an open game thats not looking for a long term commitment, get in that. Be a good player, don't try to change the game of take over the time slot, just show them what you've got.
Also, offer to run a one shot. Not necessarily OSR, if you've got something else that would go well as a one shot, it's a chance to let people see you in action and know it's going to be okay.
And all that said, I've gotten games as a player and a GM out of this group, and I and our other GMs have still had the experience of pitching games to group members we know and are friends with and finding out its not up their alley. Getting away from a fixed group of 4-5 players and hammering out a compromise game every time has been a net positive for me, but the cost has been sometimes you're talking up a game to ten or twenty people and everybody's holding out for something they're particularly interested in, or just already in a game.
>>
>>79732400
And after saying all that, cast a wider net. Find an OSR or a Delving Deeper discord and offer to run for people who are already interested. Heck, if you're brave enough, try a game finder thread on /tg/, or this very thread.
>>
>>79732413
>gamefinder on /tg/
I haven't seen that nor the weekendERP thread since I came back. They get banned?
>>
>>79732400
>>79732413
I work from home and really can't sit in front of a screen any longer, it's all I've done since January, but I appreciate the help, I'm starting to understand that this hobby probably isn't for me, I'll probably just start keeping a copy of Iron Falcon and a module or two on hand just in case I ever need them, and file it away somewhere in the attic and forget about it
>>
>>79732122
Scheduling is the most important thing. If you can't consistently make a date work, tough shit, there's no reason to have you in that campaign.
>>
>SWN
>players have a rink-dink medical frigate turned blockade runner
>armed with just a single sandcaster
>are using it for gunruns against the native wildlife and local primitives to extreme effect because of course hypervelocity shrapnel is going to fuck shit up, even in atmosphere, if you're close enough

I applaud their penchant for using all tools at their disposal, but I'm wondering how exactly starship grade weapons (which, by necessity I assume, are heavier than heavy weapons) should roll damage against soft targets like people. Instant kill if they hit? Double the dice? Physical saving throw for the target?
>>
>encounter
In the wilderness, a woman (Fighter 4, or Ranger if your system has it, high Dex), and her two wolf companions. Somewhat starved for conversation, so initially friendly, but also an instinctual mercenary, she would be open to a single dungeon delve or surface raid in exchange for a full share of treasure. Her wolves fight with her, but she will not sacrifice them needlessly, or use them as a disposable front line.
Bonus points if you can make it seem like she's a werewolf. As I would run it she's not, there's just some one off Beastmaster thing going on.
You just know.
>>
>>79732475
Traveller uses a multiplier. It's large enough it's effectively instant kill. Save could work as well.
I would consider a penalty to hit, due to small size compared to the usual target.
>>
>>79732007
>Where’s the tits?
That's what I've been asking myself. I mean, I haven't been following the conversation, but that's what I'm always asking myself.
>>
File: 1582003181538.jpg (273 KB, 1100x1060)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>79732556
Same, brother. Same.
>>
If I want to run AD&D, what are the pros/cons of 1e/OSRIC vs 2e?
>>
>>79732770
What kind of campaign are you trying to run?
>>
>>79732795
Dungeoncrawls with a bit of a Fantasy Vietnam War feel (raiding into hostile forests and swamps and claustrophobic underground engagements)
>>
>>79732770
2e has a shitload more content for it, at the price of lots of that content being questionably balanced at best and the DMG not being as useful. For specifically OSR purposes it also messes about with movement speeds and relegates xp-for-gold to optional status, but it's easy enough to tweak those yourself. Really, what you should be running is 1.X, a personalised Frankenstein of bits of 1e and 2e held together with packing tape and rulings.
>>
>>79732770
OSRIC is a replacement to the 1e PHB
Of the total page count of OSRIC, only 30 pages are devoted to the rules of running the game
The entire 1e DMG, almost 240 pages, are devoted to the rules of running the game
You’re not getting the full 1e experience with OSRIC

This is my soapbox and I will die on it
>>
>>79732897
>>79732770
Can confirm, I run AD&D 1e+2e and it’s fucking great.

but I prefer 2e more
>>
>>79732901
To get around this issue, just play OSRIC+For Gold&Glory. The full WotC-free AD&D experience
>>
File: adnd-pronouns.png (90 KB, 316x195)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>79732928
Can't get away with this anymore
>>
>>79732852
Sounds like you want an old school feel and system, 2e is not that, so go for 1e/osric
>>
>>79732960
Didn't 2e clean up the clusterfuck that was 1e combat considerably?
>>
>>79732970
What has that to do with anything?
>>
>>79732970
Yes it did. Streamlined 1e’s combat and fixed a bunch of ambiguities
>>
>>79732958
That paragraph always bothered me. It should read:
When referring to a member of mankind where sex is ambiguous, the masculine pronoun is used, as this is the correct English literary method.

Spoilered for angry trannies who will no doubt try to meme me to death.
>>
>>79733073
But that is utter bollocks?
>>
>>79733101
Only the first angry tranny arrives. I look forward to the next 122 posts arguing about this one post.
>>
>>79733101
It's literally true. Male sex is used when sex is undefined.
>>
>>79733073
>>79733118
The only people who get upset about that paragraph are tards who get angry about female PCs.
>>
File: 1619539418371.gif (1.57 MB, 268x268)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB GIF
>>79733118
>>
File: Tension Pool Short.png (29 KB, 792x500)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
Thoughts on the Tension Pool as an alternative to tracking time?
>>
Pack up guys, threads over. See you in the next one.
>>
>>79733221
I've been meaning to try it, actually
>>
>>79733073
>When referring to a member of mankind where sex is ambiguous, the masculine pronoun is used, as this is the correct English literary method.
Except this is factually false, in both American and British English, the only versions of English that matter.
>>
>>79729552
First I've heard of it and I frequent various places
>>79729508
Oh yeah, it was Basic because that's what they could get their hands on. The fact they tried to sell the setting to TSR and TSR told them to "fuck off" really screwed D&D in Japan over since Sword World is now (and pretty much always has been) the number one RPG in Japan (typically competes with Call of Cthulhu and Arianrhod RPG for top spot).
>>
>>79733174
Males who play Female PCs should be scorned rightfully.
>>
>>79733341
Faggots who make posts like yours should be called retarded nogames
>>
>>79733156
Go away 18th century, singular they's got 400 years on you.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d8)

>>79733367
You will never be a woman.
Rolling
>>
Rolled 7, 5 = 12 (2d8)

>>79733402
Hot damn
>>
>>79733402
You will never be anything other than a retard who rolls his stupid face across his keyboard
>>
>>79733312
>>
>>79733421
Another dungeon. Fuck me. I'll do it tomorrow.
>>
>>79733402
You'll never be relevant to anyone.
>>
>>79733465
Don't bother. It's very likely whatever you make will be stupid shit
>>
>>79733488
>>79733471
>>79733440
Who are you and why are you here?
>>
>>79732168

Reminder that the purpose of this thread is actually to run off all potential new people and kill the OSR off for good.
>>
>>79733523
Ignore the attention whoring massive faggot. He's very lonely and is desperate for human attention.
>>
>>79733221

The Black Hack, but for time management. I like it.
>>
>>79733523
Maybe you should ask that to the tard who came into the thread to whine about "trannies".
>>79733565
If you were not stupid you would see the irony in your dumb post
>>
>>79733573
Not that similar to the usage die (Thankfully). I suggest you to read the article as it clarifies the use of the tension pool in more detail.
>>
>Massive Faggot thinks he understands ironing
Please, explain the irony of my post. I'm excited for your reply.
>>
>>79733618
Here you go retard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironing
>>
>>79733618
Didn’t you just say to ignore him? >>79733565
He will actually go away if nobody replies to him
>>
>>79733618
>>79733658
>>
>>79733661
I never take my own advice.
>>
>>79733661
You are replying to the attention whoring massive faggot, dumbass.
>>
>>79733565
>>79733536
>>79733523
>>79733488
>>79733471
>>79733440
>>79733375
>>79733367
>>79733312
>>79733174

The Tower of Trannies

A six-room dungeon with a unique magic item within.

The rooms are on top of each other in a keep format, and are each connected by a spiral staircase winding around the interior wall of the structure. The tower is circular in shape.

Floor 4: The roof. There are 2d4 longbows here, with bundles of arrows for a total of 100 arrows. There is a 50% chance if approaching during the night, and 100% chance if approaching during the day, that the denizens of the tower will spot someone travelling up via the main road.

Floor 3: The treasury. Here are kept a number of False Sex-change Girdles (d6), as well as 400 gp worth of exotic herbs and spices, a large collection of silver womens' jewelry worth 2d6*50 gp, and two gold ingots each worth 50gp apiece.

Floor 2: The bunkhouse. Nine bunk beds, with two bunks each. A love letter from a woman is hidden under one of the bunks. She promises to elope with her lover - "Rupert" - when he comes to her family's country mansion. She details her plan to rob 4000 gold worth of valuables from her father to finance her secret wedding. A gaming table with dice and cards is in the center of the circular room.

Floor 1: The mess-house and kitchen. A curtain separates a long table and chairs from a kitchen with a big pot and a fired oven.

Floor -1: Sex dungeon. BDSM tools - useless as actual implements of torture - worth a total of 100 gp, or 1000 gp to a sadomasochistic society (EG drow).

Floor -2: Dungeon. A lone magic user is in manacles here, forced to work long hours sewing and enchanting sex change girdles. They are made from women's skin. He cries a lot, and his fingernails will be stained brown from bloody skins forever. He is nude. He is a level two magic user, and possesses only a spellbook with a single spell. The spell can enchant any girdle sewn from human skin into a False Sex-change Girdle.
>>
>>79733587

>"This thing we used to track one at a time? We're gonna roll dice to see when it happens now. And it's gonna get more and more likely to happen as time goes on to make it even more tense. In fact, we're gonna mark it with the dice themselves so you can see it even better as it builds up to the inevitable."
>Totally not Usage Die related.

Sure, Jan.
>>
>>79733448
The neutered he is newspeak you uneducated fuck. "He or she", while cumbersome, is the correct pronoun for an unknown gender of a human or pet, and "it" for all other nonhumans.
>>
>>79733697
This anon gets it.
>>
>>79733705
If you stop reading there, then I suppose it is similar, but no, the usage die is not a pool, and the dice do not go down in size unlike the usage die, you simply roll them and clear the pool.
>>
>>79733703
Did your mommy not tuck you in?
>>
File: 1445734609707.jpg (56 KB, 523x532)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>79733703
>>
>>79733748
Nope, but yours certainly fucked you up.
>>
>>79733765
That's almost as cute as your mom's face covered in my nut.
>>
File: 1610584883234.jpg (327 KB, 1074x1513)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>79733315
Say, does anyone know what differentiates Sword World from your standard D&D?
>>
>>79733697
The >attention whoring massive faggot is (You)
>>
>>79733798
No (you) and your face.
>>
>>79733703

There are 3d6 trannies throughout the structure (1HD, attack 1d4 with whip or 1d6 with sickle, AC as leather). Of them 1d6 are level 2 thieves. Place them how you wish. They look like men in women's makeup and clothing, wearing strange girdles of human skin. They know how each other looks - but are each totally, secretly convinced that the wizard (named Armando Gulch) is in love with them enough to make a real, working girdle, while he has successfully tricked the other "ladies."

False Sex-change Girdle:

Appears identical to a real Sex-change Girdle. To its user, appears to function identically as well. However, nobody else perceives any cosmetic change in the user, except that the user is now wearing the girdle.

The spell to create a girdle is level 1.
>>
>>79733813
Of course, there is a front entrance to level 1.
>>
>>79733812
No (You) and Your face!
>>
This item is something I recall from a doc file think was called tome of swords. I know this is not really [OC] but I think it's far better than some of the crap that has been posted lately Gambler's Sword.
This sword either gets a critical hit or misses its target. In other words the user rerolls attack until he or she get a 1 or 20.
>>
>>79733831
No (you) and (you)r face!
>>
File: 1497201811754.gif (967 KB, 490x367)
967 KB
967 KB GIF
>>79733813
>>
>>79733846
No (Y(o)u) and (Y(o(u)r) face!
>>
>>79733856
(N)(o) (y)(o)(u) (a)(n)(d) (y)(o)(u)(r) (f)(a)(c)(e)(!)
>>
>5. Make a magic item
[OC]
Girdle of Gender Change

The social construct of gender changes when this girdle is worn, and the wearer’s identity of their own gender changes. Nothing else happens.
>>
>>79733758
>>79733748
>>79733855
Continuing to prove his point
>>
>>79733908
He had no point faglord
>>
>>79733908
How do you like the dungeon I made? I think it is pretty good for ~15 mins of thought.
>>
>>79733536
It's just the 2e fag showing the whole of their ass
>>
>>79734071
It's just the anti-2e fag showing the whole of their ass
fixed that for you.
>>
>>79733789
Sword World runs on SRS, IIRC, which is a wholly d6-based thing.
>>
>>79734071
>>79734082
It’s actually just two guys and their faces
>>
>>79733789
I'm supremely interested in the world of Japanese TableTALK Gaming. (Yeah, they call it that)
If it won't be considered off topic here I'll occasionally report my findings as I study it. I wouldn't think it'd be an issue as part of the reason I'm into it is because Japanese Fantasy has maintained better than Western the trappings of TSR era gaming.
>>
Another day, another thread that becomes a shitshow
>>
>>79733978
You will never be a real man.
>>
>>79734124
Not at all. SRS isn't even based on Sword world. Sword World's system got genericized into something called 2d6 System.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_World_RPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RPG_System
>>
File: 1587144868503.jpg (94 KB, 560x800)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Ever play a chess game versus a player, anons?
I did, once, in place of a ghost in a published adventure. It went okay, because we speed played, and I knew one player was a chess player. I don't expect to do it again, though I don't completely rule it out.
>>
>>79718716
I've got a different problem, I've accidentally generated a SWN sector thats too interesting for my current group (teen brother and friends), need to see if any of the grog Stargrave players at the wargames club liked Traveler back in the day.
>>
>>79735332
I used a chess computer on my laptop for all my moves to simulate the fact the player was up against a chess master
I’m at chess rubbish irl but that was a pretty tense fight
Player lost in the end but went down pretty valiantly
>>
>>79719040
>Having your Wojacks labeled
>>
>>79733703
>>79733813
You forgot the [OC] tag, king

>>79734790
Another day, another cuck complaining about OC he doesn't like
>>
File: 1612181329723.jpg (387 KB, 2048x1448)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
>>79734632
I'm nothing near a honcho of /osr/, but I'd love to read your findings on the subjects when available.
>>
>>79734071
People saying that 2e isn't OSR are going to be the ones doing that.
>>
>>79722498
Gabor Lux did some cool island hex crawls in their older stuff.
The Smoking Pillars is pretty good too, but needed some extra bits and pieces imo.
>>
>>79735332
What did everyone else do?
>>
File: Pasta.jpg (18 KB, 656x480)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Attention /osrg/.
The OSR has produced nothing of value in years.
The only retro-clone anybody talks about anymore is OSE, but nobody is publishing adventures "for" OSE, which defeats the purpose of a clone.
The other faithful clones (OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, even BFRPG) are basically dead. Some (Dark Dungeons, For Gold & Glory) were never alive.
Even Swords & Wizardry is almost dead.
If you talk about retro-clones (other than OSE) in other OSR spaces, the only reaction you're apt to provoke is derision.
"We don't need yet another B/X clone!" cry the hipsters and the bandwagoners; and they're right, we don't need that, but that's not the point.
You get called redundant, behind the times, intractable and recalcitrant . . . a low-down, no-good, dirty, worthless GROGNARD.
The OSR is dead. Decrepit. A zombie movement. It's over, and it's been over for years.
Just play TSR D&D.
That is all.
>>
>>79738432
>but nobody is publishing adventures "for" OSE, which defeats the purpose of a clone.
I don't know, there's a lot of good stuff coming out for OSE. You wouldn't be able to tell looking at this thread though, since /OSRG/ has long since split from the OSR like a bastard strain and degenerated into a cesspool of repetitive shitposting and coprophagia.
>>
>>79732928
AD&D is already WotC-free. What are you even saying?
>>
>>79732970
2e combat is a lot less flexible, if you ask me. Segments give you a lot of freedom to manage the idea that maybe somebody can do more than one thing in a single round without letting it get unbalanced. In 2e, drinking a potion is your whole round.
>>
>>79732528
I like the penalty to hit idea, yeah. I'll just keep it as instant kill against sufficiently soft targets, and just do a 2x or 3x modifier against hard ground based targets.
>>
>>79738432
>"We don't need yet another B/X clone!"
Nobody has ever said this.
>>
>>79738432
You're more right than wrong. I've been playing WWN with my group and we enjoy it as a different take on OSR (I doubt it would be embraced here); it's fairly balanced in regards to magic and but moves away from what most autists would classify as OSR, with foci and easy multi-classing - a bit like a spin on 2E's take.
It's easy to run whatever we want using the chassis and convert other OSR compatible material to it, so I doubt we use anything else for a long while.
>>
>>79738432
The OSR movement ended in 2012. Stuff after that date that claims to be OSR is in fact just indie RPG. Or corporate RPG in some cases.
>>
AD&D DMG says the no. appearing for kobolds in a dungeon is 6–18. How would you dice this?
>>
>>79738822
WWN is pretty much fully OSR to anyone that isn't a total loser. Plus it's a ton of fun.
>>
>>79738573
Well anything’s free if you pirate.
But WotC currently owns the rights to AD&D
So if you buy the PDFs or reprints legally, you’ll be giving money to WotC
Otherwise you could buy secondhand originals
>>
>>79738877
4d4+2
d8+d6+4
d10+d4+4
>>
>>79738432
I’m part of a number of RPG groups, and everyone looks down on grognards except in spaces like this where the goal is to play D&D the way the founders did.
>>
>>79738432
The name of the thread should have been changed to /tsrdnd/ but shitposters who I assume were shills for indie publishers wouldn't have it.
>>
>>79738920
How many of these groups you're in play 5e?
>>
>>79739058
About half
>>
>>79734152
No, just you showing both your ends.
>>
>>79736917
More like it needs the [BO] tag because that "OC" is crap
>>
>>79739112
Who doesn't look down upon people who dislike what they like?
>>
I haven't read this thread in a few months, seems like things are going well here.
>>
>>79738877
1d3*6
2d6+4
>>
>>79739205
lol that explains this thread, I guess
>>
>>79738894
>Otherwise you could buy secondhand originals
This is exactly what everybody does. Second-hand is the default, assuming reprints of questionable quality would be anyone's first choice is bizarre.
>>
A lot of people involved in the OSR today won’t be here in 2 years. It’s become a tourist trap for creators and players. However it’s still useful as a identification term for generic new material that is useable with TSR era D&D.
>>
>>79739375
>2d6+4
That will never get 18. Or 17. I think your multiplication guess is the best one.
>>
>>79739375
>>79740523
The multiplication will only have 3 result: 6, 12 or 18.
>>
>>79738920
Wonderful news that means they will stay the fuck out. Like petulant children that refuse to taste a food they have never tried because they “don’t like it”. I’ve played every edition of D&D and all of the mainstream RPGs over the last 35+ years. I come by my preferences honestly.
>>
>>79740568
Yeah, just realized it.
>>
File: zhbuiejbsqn01.png (566 KB, 600x600)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
Running a volcano megadungeon, and I'm sorely tempted to have the final big treasure trove be a deadman's hand trap that causes a Mt. St. Helen's style eruption.
>>
>>79738822
We've had people talking about WWN at least one per thread since it released.
>>
>>79739205
This is the kind of question that reveals more about the one who poses it than anyone who responds
>>
>>79740755
In this reply chain, which possibly did not include you until just now, it's been revealed that 5e players look down on OSR players, and we all know OSR players look down on 5e players.
Stop pretending this isn't the case.
>>
>>79733221
I usually like Angry GM, but I really dislike the tension pool. I haven't tested it, but it seems really fiddly and also makes tracking things like durations of spells, torches, etc. more difficult.
>>
>>79740714
Sounds very old western.
>>
>>79719907
Because RQ is the logical improvement in terms of flexibility and realism over D&D
>>
>>79719836
Skills give you a bonus to do certain things, some things require a skill to try, like specialized knowledge. Skill bonus + Ability modifier vs Difficulty #, DM adjudicates everything as per OSR ethos.
>>
File: 1622442612493.png (737 KB, 663x663)
737 KB
737 KB PNG
>>79719860
Swords & Wizardry, single save, ascending AC. Also the derivation of S&W's single save that Crypts and Things repurposes as a task resolution system.
>>
>>79738432
I'd rather just play Black Hack.
>>
>>79741947
white box is based off of S&W, no? Or did it needlessly convolute it?
>>
>>79742975
S&W: White Box was an official version of S&W paired down to just the material that was in the 3LBB. White Box: FMAG is just the latest edition of S&W: White Box after the creator dropped support for it.
>>
File: 2593026569999.png (55 KB, 750x430)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>79738432
>You get called redundant, behind the times, intractable and recalcitrant . . . a low-down, no-good, dirty, worthless GROGNARD.
Better than playing 5e with a bunch of lamestream degenerate normies.
>>
File: 1558573010122.jpg (4.8 MB, 2425x1630)
4.8 MB
4.8 MB JPG
>>79738432
>The OSR is dead. Decrepit. A zombie movement. It's over, and it's been over for years.
then go shit up another thread
>>
>>79719860
The one that suits your tastes.
>>
>>79743716
At least they are playing and not being a retard no one wants to play with or even be around like you.
>>
>>79738432
Your pasta is stupid and so are you.
>>
>>79730705
I'm certainly gonna add it to my encounter tables.
>>
File: IMG-6070.jpg (4.7 MB, 4032x3024)
4.7 MB
4.7 MB JPG
Took my first crack at hand-drawing a hex map today. It might not be a work of art, but I thought it turned out pretty well.
I want to to play through a solitaire hex crawl game using the basic guidelines from GFC's video, and then taking the map and all the features I generated on the fly and turning it into a more cohesive campaign that I'll run for my group. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.
>>
File: 1623447741773.jpg (4.88 MB, 3024x4032)
4.88 MB
4.88 MB JPG
>>79744453
bonus not-sideways version
>>
>>79738877
6d3
3d6, double low results (or just accept groups below 6, Gygax be damned).
>>
>>79738900
Classic D&D rarely if ever mixed die sizes on the same roll, so occam's razor says 4d4+2
>>
>>79738877
I would reroll a d20 and enjoy the sounds it makes.
>>
File: 1586199107023.jpg (261 KB, 1024x518)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
New thread:

>>79745240
>>79745240
>>79745240
>>
>>79738877
18D1s
>>
>>79744453
>>79744490
Nice! What's that drawn on?
>>
>>79744490
looks pretty kino to me bro
>>
>>79738432
I do only play TSR D&D. That seems to me like what the most here do?
>>
>>79738877
I eyeball it and decide myself according to context.
>>
>>79746919
There are two groups here. TSR D&D only, and retroclone only. The retroclone only play stiff like DCC and Mork Borg, but they have a copy of OSE so it’s ok.

Actually there’s a third group, who haven’t played any games, who don’t own any books, who haven’t even read any books, and they get all their information and attitude from this thread. They’re responsible for 90% of all responses in this thread.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.