[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do you treat gods? Are they human like in nature? Can a mortal become a god?
>>
>>79614444
In my homebrew they fall into one of 3 categories:
1) Primordial, animalistic entities that are tied to the fundamental forces of the universe and are either too dumb or too beyond the world to notice whatever shenanigans are happening in the world
2) "Standard" gods, generally humanoid with nearly human (albeit greatly exaggerated) personalities, who created the planet and influence things on a long term, epic scale (Your sister grew a forest on a spot of your land, so you start pulling magma under the area to form a volcano, or you appear in dreams to the local humanoid population over a few generations and inspire them to chop down all the trees for industry)
3) Ascended mortals, far weaker than #2, but can often be found wandering the earth and interacting with mortals.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Surprisingly you are supposed to fuck/get fucked by them...at least is what Ancient Greece tells
>Are they human like in nature?
No they are gods, pay attention to your own questions
>Can a mortal become a god?
Not with this economy
>>
>>79614444
Above all others, which m eans you defer to them if only so they leave you alone.
No.
Absolutely not, though one might fuck a demigod into existence if a mortal takes their interest.

I also use 'little gods' or spirits because I like animist settings. People always focus on the Olympians or other major pantheons but a lot of ancient world beliefs were very animist coded throughout the world.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
As actual godlike statless entities. You can defeat an avatar though, but even that is just a temporary inconvenience to a god.
No. While some are occasionally depicted as looking human and their avatars can look like humans, there's nothing human about them in nature.
Yes, but it has only happened once, and that guy only accomplished it by sacrificing entire kingdoms FMA-style.
>>
>>79614785
Presumably he means in your game. It was a setting about (you).

>>79614444
In my setting the existence of gods is ambiguous as there isn't anyone specifically coming down in person and telling you shit. Sure if you asked a guy to prove his religion he might be able to give you proof, but it won't be along the lines of "Anon, this is Lord Baal, Lord Baal this is Anon" with Baal making it rain blood or mountains split open to prove he is a god.

In terms of behavior in religious canon, my setting is bronze age fantasy, so most religions are Indo-European or Levant religions and thus deities are very human in behavior, often petty.
>>
>>79614785

>>79589368
>>
in my game there is only one God
just like in real life
>>
People pose as gods. These are typically high powered sorcerers or wizards. For the common folk, they see no difference between their acts and miracles, and for everyone else, they're too scared to reject their status.
Actual gods are only considered with the totality of the dimension and even multiple planes of existance. They simply cannot concern themselves with the affairs of mortals, unless if they find one they like for some reason.
Humans can become gods but at risk of losing their... humanity. Whatever desires or personality you had before becomes spread as thin as the cosmos.
>>
>>79614444
In my donut steel setting, gods were pretty amicable and well-meaning, unfortunately while powerful, they do have limits and were not all-knowing. Otherwise treatment varied upon the preferences of the deity.

The Dwarven 'Stone'* Court, for example had The Iron Knight who was notoriously broody (due to his wife being dead) and demanded solemnity from his worshippers, in contrast the Brass Prince was a decidedly more jovial and festivals to honor him are basically Dwarven Science faires.

*I need to come up with a new name seeing as all males in the Court are metals and all women are gemstone themed.
>>
>>79614444
They can be human like if they’re recently ascended (so yes to the third question), but the longer they are a god the less mortal they become. In a fight between a tiny mortal brain and the unfathomable awareness of being a concept of reality like magic, Fire, time, war, or whatever, the concept eventually wins. The truly esoteric and primordial shit like “action” is so vast and all encompassing that they can’t even be interacted with beyond bizarre and cryptic communications that come across as feelings more than actual words. Assuming they were ever mortal at all, and it’s “known” that some of them weren’t.

A couple of gods have managed to maintain a sort of humanity by being “heroic gods” and interacting with mortals as part of their concept. Such as a fertility god, his job is to ensure things are fecund and he is he embodiment of fecundity, ascending only a couple centuries ago. He wanders the world in mortal form, leaving flowers and babies in his wake. Many of them are also his kids. Even he will lose out eventually though, but he’s the third-most recent, so he’s still new enough that he can be human.

One of the party already fucked him. She doesn’t know it though, she just plays the typical edgy rogue slut and didn’t realise, I’m not sure when I want to pull the trigger on the plot hook.
>>
>>79614999
Don't go Night Vale on me, you friggin' fag and don't act like a handjob device for OP.
With everyone here being Anonymous, possibly playing a few different games at once, or none at all, no answer is important.
>>
>>79614785
Jesus, how fucking spineless and noncommittal can you get?
>>
>>79614444
Simp the female one, and ignore the males.
>>
>>79614687
I like this but I also feel guilty pleasures at humans getting ridiculously op, so I wouldn't mind some ascended humans to reach level two or even three albeit losing their humanity in the process (you are a barbarian too anfry to die? Fine you can become a range incarnate and punch primordials into oblivion but the only emotion you feel now is rage and the only thing you can do is act on it.)
>>
>>79614444
Pay tributes and don't speak their names in vain.
>>
>>79614444

Like many magical beings, "God" is a term that mortals apply to things and which has little basis in reality. Kind of like how Mortals think that Angels, Demons and spirits are all different things (they are not, to the point that some such entities have been labeled as all three simultaneously by different cultures in the world) what counts as a God or not varies from region to region. Gods are powerful, yes, but all that means is that you draw a line and say "everything above this line is a God" regardless of whether they have anything in common.
Some gods are shaped by human thought or belief, and thus are a reflection of humanity. Others are humans that have achieved such power, or more often than not the LEGENDS of real people that have become a kind of god through thought and belief. Other beings have the status of godhood but have no connection to the mortal world whatsoever, and are only passingly in contact with it or even totally unaware of it.
All of them get called gods, which is about as useful as if you only had the word 'plant' and specific plants didn't have names of their own. You look at a pumpkin, and you look at a tree, and you look at a blade of grass and just say "Plant" and don't distinguish any further than that because you are an idiot.
>>
There's one main god that is worshipped by the main monotheistic religion of the land, but he (it?) is a being that people are only vaguely aware of as existing and as of having created this universe, but it doesn't make itself shown or show any kind of interest in humanity around it. Like a creator that made the world on a whim and then got bored of it and moved on to greater things. There are no clerics in the setting, all "divine" power and intervention comes from saints, who are mortals who rose to immortality through one way or another enough to (even briefly) catch the interest of the god and grant them some of his influence. Most churches dedicate their actual services or worship to these saints (of which exist handfuls, each one has their own "domain", and a new one pops up every few hundred years) because the saints actually tend to respond sometimes or make themselves known every few decades because they're more sympathetic towards mankind
>>
File: great enchantress.png (2.92 MB, 1920x1080)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB PNG
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Put them in their place.
>>
>>79614785
You're a dipshit, you know that?
>>
>>79614785
>Depends on the game
That's what he's asking, retard, how people do things IN THEIR GAMES.
>>
>>79614785
trying too hard to fit in, heres how i know (you) are a nogame:
>your entire post
>>
File: Dagoth Milos.webm (1.15 MB, 400x400)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB WEBM
>>79614444
>>
File: Ares, God of Love.jpg (66 KB, 1024x681)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>79614444

Pretty much. I grew up watching Xena and Hercules so a lot of my conception of what gods should act like is based on how the gods acted in that.

Not only can they, most of the gods in my setting are actually ascended mortals. The long and short of fit is that the two primordial gods of Order and Chaos have split their divine power up and play games with it, investing it into mortals and turning them into gods, who themselves can play games with their divine power to either gather more or create new gods as allies. The only gods that were actually born divine in the first place are the gods of Order and Chaos (of course), Magic, Darkness, and Death. Every other god is an ascended mortal, although some ascended so long ago that this fact is forgotten. The very first mortal being was literally just an ordinary wolf until the Chaos goddess decided to invest divine power into her, thus was born Arraska, Goddess of Beasts.

There are holy texts and stuff that treat the moment with gravitas, but I like to imagine that it actually went down something like...

>Chaos: "Who's a good girl? Whooo's a good girl?"
>Wolf: "Arf!"
>Chaos: "Yes you are! Here, now you're divine."
>Wolf: "Arf Arrraahhh what the fuck?!"
>Chaos: "You're a goddess now!"
>Wolf: "Great! What's a goddess, also, what are these sounds, also, who are you, also, what the FUCK?!"
>>
>>79614444
God's are pretty crazy strong celestial and abyssal beings, but they are tied to a planet with a few exceptions (Outer Gods for example) and as such space scares the shit out of them. If you die in space, most likely your soul is reduced to nothingness and in rare cases your soul goes to a completely foreign dimension or plane that is absolutely unknown.
>>
>>79615090
Nothing on this board is important, nothing on this site is important. It doesn't mean people can't be curious about how other people make their settings or simply wants to give people a soapbox to talk about their own settings. Stop being such a faggot anon.
>>
File: Mononoke.jpg (107 KB, 1200x629)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>79614444
They're about the same power level as the Princess Mononoke ones, but they job to artillery bombardments. They still play a vital role to the spiritual health of ecosystems and all that, they aren't pretenders, but mankind has become technologically advanced enough to kill them anyway. Needless to say this has gone about as well as you'd expect.
>>
"Gods" in my setting are how the various nations interpret the AI systems that regulate the global environment. They all have alien mindsets, but can be negotiated with using the correct rituals or prayers, and the servitors under their command have mindsets close enough to mortals to enable communication between them.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
A race of ultra powerful beings who are wiser than mortals but prone to be just as flawed
Personality wise, mostly. Their appearance during the rare times they show themselves to mortals is symbolic of how their worshipers (or in the case of evil gods, the ones who fear them) imagine them to look.
They can get close and they better hope a real god doesn't catch them trying
>>
>>79615027
So you're a no game
>>
>>79614687
Ah yes the RuneScape approach. Good choice.
>>
>>79614444
They undoubtedly exist but they are completely non-communicative, granting power not based on faith, but because they are embodied ideals. Those who strive towards those ideals are rewarded.

A mortal could, in theory, become a god, but pretty much every ideal has already been found, so it would have to be a very alien god. Most would just dissolve into an existing god.
>>
File: CthuluRises.jpg (79 KB, 1200x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>79614444
First point of order, there is no afterlife. There is a spirit which is tied to consciousness. It emanates from the corporeal body. When the physical body dies the spirits fades into oblivion. Gods, Demons and everything in-between exist in very real physical places. For Gods there are two primary groups. Old Gods and New Gods. Unlike everyone else, the consciousness of an Old God preceded it's corporeal form. The physical body of an Old God could be destroyed, often shockingly easily, but at some point that physical body would just reform again. The Old Gods were wild and chaotic. They were capable of being exceedingly magnanimous or brutally capricious for imperceptible reasons. Thanks to the generosity, thousands of ancient mortals obtained the secrets to grant themselves a perpetual divine body but because of the capriciousness they were horrified that even this was ultimately futile, because other Gods could still destroy these bodies.

After a cataclysmic war caused by paranoia, a group of New Gods decided that the only way to ensure true perpetuity was to vigorously control who became divine and what the divines were permitted to teach or do for the other mortals. Other New Gods readily agreed to this solution, since it calmed their own fears if everyone was on the same page. The problem was that the Old Gods were not on the same page. They weren't even reading the same book. While sometimes the New Gods could just ask the Old Gods to just not make new Gods and they would do so, for no other reason than they were asked, others were more stubborn. So the deal was made that either these Gods stop making new New Gods for (Very long but still measurable amount of time) or the old New Gods would vow to annoy the crap out of them and ruin the experience of everything the Old God wanted to do for (potentially the rest of eternity). The Old Gods being truly immortal and thus very patient creatures, agreed to the first option.
>>
>>79614444
>Gods, like demons are abstract aspects of nature given "ego". They exist in an extra material world (think some Theory of Forms bullshit). Both "heaven" and "hell" are part of this plane, working identically to something like planes of Oblivion from The Elder Scrolls
>Different from demons, Gods don't seek to incarnate on the mortal world, but they can possess individuals if necessary.
>The only apotheosis available to mortals is being taken as the kin of gods. The ones chosen for this are usually legendary heroes or those of very strong faith to a god. Something similar can happen to those who follow demons, becoming kin of their demon master.
>>
>>79614444
the greatest of the gods are just the handful of wizards who unlocked the magical singularity and achieved arbitrary power, before making an agreement on how their powers could be wielded without fucking everything
>>
File: 1550462004140.gif (884 KB, 200x200)
884 KB
884 KB GIF
>>79619051
so, in your setting, there's no metaphysical punishment for anything you do?
>>
File: YzmaNoneWhatsoever.gif (959 KB, 500x281)
959 KB
959 KB GIF
>>79619252
>>
>>79614444
i dont have gods, only goddesses
the good ones are all tsunderes and the evil ones are yanderes
the neutral ones are tards
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
So for my game, I asked my players what they wanted and most of them mentioned a Greek Mythology feel, so I made my gods like that, flawed characters who make mistakes and have to deal with them. One of the major NPCs is an abandoned child of the god of the underworld and metal.
Yes - finding out how the gods became what they are is the underlying mystery of my campaign, with the players having picked up hints of a forgotten Time Before The Gods.

Eventually the players will learn that that time was a magitech era where devices drew on the "Heart Of The Earth" for "geoarcanoambaric power"(electricity and magic), and that the gods broke the Heart of The Earth and took its power for themselves to become gods, ending the era of magitech in what was basically an apocalypse, but since it was around five thousand years ago almost nothing survives of it, not even legends.
>>
>>79614444
Depends on the god. Older gods are generally less personable and more force-of-nature, while the newer gods are more human in action and nature.
Only one mortal became a god without the direct aid of another god, and in doing so he cracked the shell of the universe, so even those among his followers that know the process have decided it bet not to try.
>>
>>79614687
Are ascended mortals demi-gods? Do new gods get born from other gods or they're willed into existence?
>>
>>79614444
>>79616138

Didn't this bitch basically get bodyjacked, her human soul annihilated to hold the god soul?
>>
File: America Mcdonalds Town.jpg (210 KB, 870x884)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>79617914

So the planet is a dying hellscape because gods keep getting nuked to create more concrete jungles?
>>
>>79614444
In my setting, gods have varying degrees of power level reveal, from "Humanlike" to "you cannot grasp the true form of my power due to me being the master of a concept". They are almighty within their domain, but in the same way, they're tied to themselves.
Let me give an example. The god of war is a god of war, obviously, so he could change it he outcome of a battle, but the more power he wields, the less he cares about influencing the survival of any individual soldier. Even if you pray for survival, to be consistent with his identity, he's not going to let you do a Fortnite dance in the middle of combat.
>>
>>79614444
I have jacked off to Ishtar's feet numerous times.
>>
>>79614444
What about demigods, do they exist in your setting? If so, how powerful are they? What about how common they are and why? Do any gods have demigod children more often than others?
>>
>>79614444
Yes, but by human standards they are all mad.

Yes.
>>
>>79620484
Not quite. What's happening is that the line between humanity and nature is being blurred. Wolves are growing hands and the faces of men and turning their attentions to the human villages at the outskirts of the woods.
>>
>>79620520
I thought that was Rin from Fate. Was it made by the same studio?
>>
>>79621082
The goddess Ishtar possessed Rin's body and became an Archer-class pseudo-servant.
>>
>>79621110
Another sequel?
>>
>>79621118
mobage
>>
>>79620466
I've heard that it's more like soul merging, but it sounds like a cope.
>>
>>79620466
Soul merged at a 70% Ishtar to 30% Rin ratio.
Rin’s personality makes her tolerable according to Nasu. Without Rin’s influence she’s a huge, huge, huge cunt.
>>
>>79621118
fate's a convoluted franchise on par with SMT at this point, with splitting timelines and merges crossovers, hell in this specific one ishtar/rin are soul merged and a different, unmerged ishtar stole her divine bull to use in a different series.
>>
>>79614785
If you run multiple games, then LIST THE WAYS YOU DO IT RETARD.

>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Depends on what setting and what being a god means in that setting. Generally settings go between two different definitions: some sort of being distinct from mortality, and just good old fashioned spirits that happen to be powerful enough to be relevant enough to enough people. Sometimes I have them be more of thoughtforms of worshipers, but I usually avoid that, as it's just not my style. Then there might be some sort of philosophical Monad big-G God, but if I explicitly include that in the setting, that's it's own kettle of fish altogether and just never changed, God is God.
>Are they human-like in nature?
Depends on what it means to be human, but I'd say they're largely human-like, yeah, especially since some of them gallivant as normal (if magically gifted) humans for fun or might have been human themselves once.
I guess I already answered that. This REALLY depends on what the rules of that particular setting are, but the rule of thumb is if gods and demons and all that are at the end of the day spirits simple as, absolutely they can, while if there's some special god-ness to a god that makes it distinct, I either don't or make it really vague if it happens or not so people can speculate and dream while I do jack shit with it.
>>
>>79614444
Sauce?
>>
>>79622975
>Sauce?
Look upthread.
>>
File: giantess.jpg (74 KB, 564x704)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>79614444
I like 'god' as a title rather than a state of being.
Different gods can have vastly different powersources, abilities, and limitations.
You can worship a forest spirit, an immortal lich, or a giant sea monster. You can even worship your king as a god. These can all be called gods because they have people worshipping them, but being a god doesn't make them more powerful, it just means they have followers who will do what they say.
>>
So the trannies are now actively calling anyone nogames, so the accusation loses weight, interesting but too obvious in execution, people who play games will know
>>
>>79614444
Pretty well, all things considered.
Nah, but in my setting the current gods are the ascendants of a previous cycle, retaining their faults. Mortal, but un-aging. This includes powerful demon 'gods' like lolth, due to conflicts in the plane of gods.
There's also the elemental lords, but they're less individuals and more incarnations of their element. Not quite sapient, nor truly mortal.
Devils are their own thing, their power coming from the first broken oath, a throne at the bottom layer of hell.
Nobody alive knows this of course. Cycles tend to be brutal when they end and begin.
>>
>>79617914
>power level as the Princess Mononoke ones
but that is just a local forest deity, its a minor deity nothing more than a supernatural creature with extended power over a location. Powerful and important in and fore the forest but that was it.
>>
>>79614444
Custom Scifa:
Well, there are egregores, entities, legendary heroes, rulers and villains all of whom get the title. Some are more powerful than others. The world soul, similar to panentheistic God and the Force is still up in the air whether or not it exists.
Some deities are more mystical and abstract than others. Players can interact with few, but the world and its dungeons, people and locales are shaped by them all. Then there are powerful and secret spirits similar to many Japanese Kami, and all manner of gargantuans some of which are worshipped.

Two players reached the status of God via extreme synchronicity, activities, crits and goals. However this was nearly a tpk and the characters in question are no longer playable. (The Ascension ritual was corrupted)
>>
>>79614444
For my current campaign, gods have two forms. Their true forms are incompatible with the space that the players occupy, and in their true form, a god is far beyond what any normal existence can ever hope to muster. Not that it matters, really. Gods are never given a stat block anyway.

Gods can instill beings and objects with a fraction of their essence and create avatars that speak in their stead, but are separate consciousnesses possessing divine knowledge. Most avatars enact their source god's will, but some may diverge. In the end, when their physical form is destroyed, the essence returns to the god. Not all avatars are privy to their origins and many don't possess any extraordinary abilities. Their nature and instinct instead tend to put them in the right place at the right time.
>>
>>79614444
Gods are just powerful mortals, of course they can be killed
>>
>>79614809
Ancient Greece has the most human gods in term of average personality. As someone wrote, the greeks basically reflected human shortcomings in their gods while asking themselves to be morally superior to their deities, Imagine if Lorgar had taken note, also I think I am channeling the Vetinari.
>>
File: 1554085923431.png (530 KB, 505x599)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
>>79614444
>>79614809
>Surprisingly you are supposed to fuck/get fucked by them
>tfw no loving goddess gf to gently dominate me and call me cute
>>
>>79621255
We got to meet Ishtar (true) in Strange/Fake and she’s a monster, yeah.
>>
>>79620547
>Demigods
>Poster child is generic strong black female fighter with no discernible mythic qualities or exceptional features. Even her attire is boring.
The West is diseased.
>>
>>79614444
Nice enough guys, but beuracacy waits not even for deities.
>>
File: 1558596340647.png (43 KB, 800x700)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>79620547
>>79627917
Meanwhile, in Japan
>ARES: MY FATHER!!!!!! (ATASHI NO TOU-CHAN ARISU!!!!!!)
>The cover features a racially ambiguously brown, short haired tomboy in a tank top cracking her knuckles with a cheeky grin
>Behind her stands the trembling figure of a young prince
>In the foreground, non-descript monsters menacingly surround the pair
>Above them the spectral figures of a stern and disapproving male elf and a kind, gentle female elf
>In the background a muscular, looming silhouette wearing a hoplite helmet with a menacing, red light shining from the holes
>Also both the protagonist and the female elf have BIG STONKING HONKERS
>And the prince has cat ears and a cat tail
Improvement or downgrade? You be the judge!
>>
File: 1374931724186.jpg (19 KB, 413x395)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>79628088
You could've kept it at "huge stonking honkers" and I'd immediately call it superior.
>>
>>79614444
Being a god is a relational quality, similar to being a parent.
In contrast to gods being a intrinsic class of being like being a dog.
If people deify you, then you are a god.
This may or may not have some metaphysical consequences for you.
Some gods are primordial or supernatural beings,
others are living or dead humans or even animals,
some are even things like a tree or a mountain.
>>
>>79628088
Fate style treatment of history, mythology and religion for al it's problems both in that treatment and as a show at least shows some actual interest in it's source material.
>>
>>79628088
>Fate is garbage
>This means >>79620547 isn't ass
Fate is bad, but Japanese media by and large is still better than that shit. At least fate characters sometimes have interesting costumes or appearances outside of the waifubait characters.
>>
>>79630030
Problem: Not enough cute girls in history and mythology.
Solution: Nah, most of those people were actually cute girls. Also they all look alike.
>>
>>79630328
It's only a matter of time before Jesus gets the cute girl treatment, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
>>
File: deities 2.jpg (117 KB, 750x1180)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
As mysterious and distant.
Most aren't real, but many are based on mortal heroes. Most powers people consider 'divine' are just forces or beings high enough up in the totem pole of reality that their changes to reality are 'natural' rather than distortive. The only truly divine forces are the impersonal and mysterious prime mover and prime destroyer, the ultimate addition and the ultimate subtraction.
In the sense that gods can be based on their legends, sure. Certain mortals have also been uplifted into immortal caretakers of their plane, and are sometimes mistaken for gods.
>>
>>79627836
Until her husband or ex-boyfriend comes along and turns you into a goat and leaves you stranded in some far off place out of jealousy.
>>
>>79630571
>Until her husband or ex-boyfriend comes along and turns you into a goat
Ishtar is a Middle Eastern goddess so that won't stop us.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods? Are they human like in nature?
Many are like people, only moreso. Many are not.
Not on purpose.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
in a typical fantasy setting I run there's multiple gods, most of them run along the lines of Greek style while also being Cthonic and mysterious in places. It varies.
Yeah. they refelct the humans who worship them and all that
Can a mortal become a god?
Yeah. Hell I have at least one god in my setting that started off originally as an imaginary friend to a child which amassed a cult in the most innocent kind of way and then slowly took on god like properties. And on the second one of the first gods in my setting is an ascended human and he claims the title "The First Adventurer" as that
>>
>>79630597
>Middle Eastern
Okay then he transforms you into a Bakri-Chode instead.
>>
File: 4ccr3497uep51[1].jpg (69 KB, 844x1036)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>79631004
I had to google that and came across this, so all it means is that I get a new goddess girlfriend.
>>
>>79631146
So afaik it means Goat-fucker, as I used to have an east indian roommate years back, and he would often shout in hindi at the tv while losing at fifa online, I knew he was cussing so I asked him what they were, and I learned Bang-chode (sister-fucker) Madar-chode (mother-fucker) and Bakri-chode (goat-fucker), not 100% sure on the spelling though, pretty sure it looks like some squiggles and dots properly written.
>>
File: IMG_20210605_210713_076.jpg (88 KB, 260x1280)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>79614444
Like this, obviously
>>
File: 1617036802964.png (923 KB, 2300x1900)
923 KB
923 KB PNG
>>79614444
>>
>>79631263
>Rollo_submits_to_the_King_of_France(911,colorized).jpg
>>
>>79616222
well earned trips
>>
>>79628088
Fate/Grand Order has unironically taught me more mythology than every other "legend-based" Western game before it. Hell, the Japanese even got in those cute little minor details like Scathach kicking the Gae Bolg in her Summer outfit, because Gae Bolg was *described* as a kicking spear in the legend.
>>
>>79631301
i want to bully ishtar until she cries
>>
>>79631301
She didn't run to tell her father so much as to get things from heaven, she doesn't need anyone's permission, that much is clear from the mythos.
>>
>>79614444
The Gods are a race, though incapable of reproduction. They came into being at the beginning of time and their bodies were formed before the barrier between thought and object solidified. They haven't got any inherent advantage over mortals beside their infinite lifespans, though living for thousands of years is possible for many mortals regardless. What is unique about them is that they see the world from the other side and understand the relationship between thought and thing for what it is. By their nature, the Gods are technomancers. They don't need to research the laws of the universe, because the plane their minds walk reveals them directly. A God know exactly when two rays of light will collide on the other side of the universe once he has observed both. There is no need for conjecture, and no calculations involved. They do, as a collective, have a certain ability to warp reality itself, but this ability pales in comparison to their feats of engineering, which blends their understanding of every process there is perfectly.

There are false gods also. Creations of the True Gods. Wielding magic, the universes crudest force, unbound by most of its laws so that a mind that is not divine can wield it without dashing itself against them. These are the Gods the mortals see. And they bow, and sometimes pray to the True Gods, who remain hidden. Always.
>>
>>79630355
I will watch the fuck out of that anime, it's all about spreading love and joy and teaching the values of friendship until the surprise last three episode berserk style ending where waifu-jesus gets curcified, everyone spend the next episode living under the thumb of brutal oppression, and then she comes back in the end to save the day and shit.
>>
>>79614444
Eresh is much better than Ishtar, just look at her!

Also, how can you make benevolent death/underworld deities besides just copying Eresh?
>>
>>79620466
The Akashic Record records everything from every universe, though it's unclear if it's limited in scope to Earth or not. Whatever universe's Rin was the vessel for FGO Ishtar (and Ereshkigal), her record remains intact. Even completely annihilated timelines leave records.
>>
>>79614444
In our setting anyone can become a god, or a god can be willed into existence, if enough people believe in them.
The gods themselves are sort of toys of the overgods though. They don't even find out until the world ends (which is intentionally accelerated for fun) about the overgods, and then the world is reset and the overgods' favorite elements of that iteration of the world are carried over in some form to the next.
The setting is made that way to allow world changing/ending shenanigans without destroying the setting if we take it too far.
>>
>>79637208
Copy Death. And make her black to make racists who never read a comic book in their life seethe
>>
>>79620159
>Are ascended mortals demi-gods?
As far as power level goes, pretty much. I basically ripped the idea off from the Emotional Entities from Green Lantern. The first mortal to fully embody a certain, specific aspect of humanity becomes one with that aspect, gradually losing their personal identity a la Dr. Manhattan.
>Do new gods get born from other gods or they're willed into existence?
For the non-ascended ones, they just sort of start existing.
>>
>>79619051
>cthulhu's vision is based on movement.jpg
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
By bullying.
>Are they human-like in nature?
Almost by definition not, but they are often conceptualized as humanoid.
Not as such, no. The essence of a mortal can become deified and subsequently boosted by the belief of the living, but their soul is no longer truly their and will inevitably be defined by faith. Divine self-actualization is hard to maintain, which is the meta reason why some deities employ inquisitions and concern themselves with maintaining orthodoxy. A substantial religious schism is akin to a soul-rending schizophrenic episode, potentially followed by something like a multiple personality disorder, and ultimately anima-mitosis.
>>
In my setting the gods have influence over their domains and can inspire mortals to perform better whenever relating to it, or speak to them in their dreams and impart information. They also have the ability to create Avatars of themselves that can physically interact with the mortal realm, and they're all giants, like 15 feet tall or larger. Armies have in the past killed avatars. Some gods think it's funny or noble and reward them for it with sweet loot or blessings or sex but others just get really pissed off because creating a new avatar takes time and energy, so they curse them or hunt them down for vengeance once the avatar is reformed.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Extremely powerful beings who can bend, but not break, the laws of reality. They were not the first, and they will not be the last.
Yes, their power derives from mortal worship, so they tend to keep human tendencies for popularity sake.
Can a mortal become a god?
Yes, but it requires a decent fraction of the mortal population, and the current gods would not let that go unchallenged.
>>
Are the gods in your fantasy setting "source entities"?

I find that one of the most important distinctions for how divine entities actually work in a fantasy setting is whether or not they are "source entities." For example, it is one thing to be a "god of wind" or a "god of love" with a great affinity for the wind or love. But it is another thing entirely to either be the very wind or love itself, or to be the one constantly creating all wind or love: a "source entity" of wind or love.

If a god is a "source entity," then in the event that the god is somehow killed, catastrophe strikes. In the case of a "god of wind" or a "god of love," either all wind or love across reality suddenly ceases to exist, or there is no one left to create any wind or love.

Even if a god is not actually a "source entity," the mythology and religion surrounding the god is likely to portray them as the "source entity." For instance, people praying to a "god of wind" are likely to thank the god for giving them fair winds and clean air to breathe, implying that this god is the source of all wind.

Generally, if there are multiple "gods of wind" or "gods of love," then they usually are not "source entities," unless they somehow divvy up that duty between themselves.

What do you think of this distinction?
>>
File: file.png (4.59 MB, 1334x1600)
4.59 MB
4.59 MB PNG
>>79614444
Not only can a mortal become one, but all of the ~~gods~~ Immortals were once mortals who ascended to ~~godhood~~ Immortality (at least so far as anyone is aware) and the player characters can attain Immortality as well.
>>
>>79614444
All gods are defined by two things: they cannot die, and they turn faith into energy. Gods can be split into many different categories, but there's two generally accepted methods of splitting them into 3 categories each.
The first method sorts them by type or source.
You've got the Five- actually six- Primordial Gods. These are the guys that have been around from the very beginning. Pretty much everyone is aware of them, and worships them in some form for things like rain and agriculture. However, they rarely act for good or for ill, and do most of their work between world resets with things like figuring out how the world will function. They're infamous for two things: shattering the sixth god many Suns [think Aztec world resets] ago, and annihilating all demons in existence after they took over a galactic supercluster. They keep to the background mostly, except for Micotelum, the god of death and decay.

Next, you've got native gods, incredibly ancient things that emerged as forces of nature. They often have alien minds and inhuman forms, but possess tremendous power. Instead of vibing on alternate planes, they're exclusively found in the physical world, in places like deep forest groves and mountain peaks.

Finally, you've got standard gods. These consist of ascended spirits and mortals. Being immortal "regular" people with an extra source of energy, they tend to take up roles as advisors among the people that worship them, using their wisdom and abilities to predict and manipulate various cycles. An agriculture god would offer advice on when to plant, and then boost soil fertility and plant hardiness, for example. A war god would analyze his people's enemies and find the right time to strike, granting them boons or even going directly into combat as a powerhouse. Most gods in this- and all categories- aren't good fighters though, since they spend most of their time doing managerial and support roles. They tend to grant power to their followers instead
>>
>>79621255
Sounds like a cope, Rin’s dead.
>>
>>79639643
The other method of categorizing gods is by influence.
At the top, you've got the Five Primordial Gods, who are worshipped by almost everyone in the world, and even by many people off of it. They possess immense power due to all of this faith, but were powerful long before the first person came to be. It just took a lot longer for them to do anything.

Then, you've got major gods. These are gods that serve as the patron for an entire race, ideal, nation or similarly broad thing. They tend to have between 1,000-100,000 followers, with a few exceptionally powerful ones having more- like the Three Sisters. They're the patron gods of humanity, lizardfolk and birdfolk, with their title being more indicative of their close relations among each other and their respective races than actual blood relationships. They actively work to keep the peace among the three races and their major nations, smoothing out problems and making compromises. Major gods tend to avoid messing with each other since all gods actively want to keep people alive to keep generating faith. Trying to kill another god's followers to stop that flow is almost always less optimal than simply defeating the other god and getting their followers added to yours. Major gods are usually fine with their followers fighting each other on their own terms, but stick to providing support.

Last, you go minor gods. Typically ranging between 10-1,000 followers, these might have dominion over a small section of a river, or protect a single clan or village. They take a much more personal and direct role in the lives of their followers, acting more as friends, comrades or even lovers than any major god would. Most demigods come from something like the village kid falling in love with the local woodland god, who granted him safe passage and hunting luck. Minor gods tend to either be restricted to a specific area, or move around on a cyclical basis. They tend to treat their followers as equals, or close to it.
>>
>>79637523
Alright, that’s one source of inspiration, what else do you got? Also, why is making them seethe prioritized so highly? Don’t give them the satisfaction of knowing that they got to you.

>>79639377
What are some settings where the gods are actually source entities?
>>
>>79639656
It's almost like souls generally bypass that
>>
>>79639985
Making comic book nerds seethe is some people's entire raison d'etre. Accusing them of bigotry for liking comics is part of that.
>>
>>79614444
>How do I treat Gods?
Keep them and their actions down to vague. Anything that can be classed as an act from the Gods can also have another explination or coincidence.

If one wants to commune with the Gods, they must take a metric fuckton of hallucinogens
>>
>>79637208
>how can you make benevolent death/underworld deities besides just copying Eresh?
Hades is somewhat benevolent I guess, he's just doing his job in one of the most melancholic afterlifes around. Though now that I think about it, this might just be contrarianism to the "Hades = Satan" trope, Hades is just as much capable of being a dick as the other Olympians.
>Alright Orpheus, you've made your case. I will allow you to take your girlfriend back to the li- YOU LOOKED BEHIND YOU BECAUSE SHE MISSTEPPED? SUCKS TO BE YOU!
>>
>>79614444
chekt

>How do you treat gods?
Primordeal beings that wrestle with one another for power every now and again (every few thousand years there are some greater cosmic events with is a power shuffle at the top of the world of the gods). The churches of the 12 main gods are usually the ones who got things to say in most societies, but there are some fringe churches that concern themselves with some of the divine beings that are not currently part of the circle of 12 top dogs.

Yes, to a degree. That degree being that they care a whole lot about their aspect they represent (or rather, that represents them). This aspect usually relates to human nature or civilisation in some way shape or form (like war, honour, law, knowledge, craft, etc.)

No. Gods are only those beings that existed since the beginning. Some gods "fall" over the course of the centuries and turn into arch demons, but nothing can actually become a god. The non-topdog gods I talked about earlier are claimed to be half-gods by mortals, and they tell themselves myths about this and that half-god being a child of a main 12 god and some mortal or animal or whatever. These myths however are completely made up, as humans are not exactly aware how the cosmological order really works. Gods never reproduce sexually. They sometimes split themselves up into different entities, which results in two new gods that divide the aspect of the split god between themselves, but that is a rare occurence and doesn't happen willy nilly.
Best a mortal can hope for is being so much in the favour of a god that he gets lifted into that god's entourage of mystical beings, spirits, sages and saints. These, however, are not gods. (Even if a mortal might confuse them for one.)
>>
>>79640881
Hades is supposed to be as inevitable and unforgiving as actual death. But his strictness is kinda like Worf's fighting ability, we're always seeing the exceptions to prove how special the hero of the day is.
>>
>>79614785
ask me how I know you're an autist
>>
>>79640881
Letting Orpheus attempt to walk out with his wife who belonged in the underworld was already leniency. Telling him not to look back NO MATTER WHAT then playing a simple prank to see if he was capable of following basic directions and punishing him when he couldn't was based.
>>
>>79639377
It's an interesting distinction to make, because if a god really is a source of something, then a lot of interesting things could happen if that god were to die or be incapacitated. It's like how the moon affects the planet's tides. If the moon were to be removed from the equation, tides would still exist but I remember they would reduce to 25%.

In my writefag setting the goddess of life and death's power comes from a book which is the foundation of reality. If she dies the cycle of life and death is temporarily paused until something or someone else turns the book back on, and if the book is lost or destroyed somehow, the cycle of life and death stops until reality is repaired with some kind of workaround. New souls and life would be blocked from coming into existence, and death wouldn't function correctly. Physical bodies of living things would be destroyed but souls would just linger around until they ran out of energy and dissipated, and most souls would eventually start hungering for life energy to survive and attack living things.

The book itself isnt exactly the "source" of life and death, but it does manage the cycle, so I guess it's the same thing.

I've actually been playing with the idea of writing a medium length story where this goddess and her book go missing. Still in the planning stages.
>>
>>79637208
>Also, how can you make benevolent death/underworld deities besides just copying Eresh?
Make them understanding and empathetic with those taken to the underworld. A quite melodramatic fellow. Have the god of death be the first one mourning. Death itself, as in, the concept of dying, is a different entity from them. Maybe their rabid dog that they cannot control.
Have the death god, albeit very rarely and briefly, allow the souls to return to Earth, for example to warn living relatives of incoming threats by appearing in their dreams.
>>
>>79630597
Bro, you don't want to stick it in Ishtar. Gilgamesh described what happened to all her lovers in gory detail before rejecting her in a hurry.
>>
>>79637523
>>79640492
Ironically, comic book readers are some of the most progressive on the planet hence the industry pandering them. Assuming they're not a bunch of caustics who hate-read superheroes.
>>
>>79614444
>homebrew
>the gods are too busy infighting to care about human problems.
>The gods are all shards of a dead and broken god. No mortal can become a god
>>
>>79641854
How are they relevant to the game if they do not interact with humans?
>>
File: life is simply unfair.png (290 KB, 750x422)
290 KB
290 KB PNG
>>79614444
All the gods are mortals except the first few. Being accepted as the new god is great, having a pantheon of lesser gods to serve you and the undivided faith of a universe's worth of population.
Until you learn why there's a new god about every few thousand years. But by then it's far too late.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
I make them barefoot
Yes, they have human feet.
Depends on her feet.
>>
File: latest[1].png (582 KB, 1066x2014)
582 KB
582 KB PNG
>>79643937
Feet are the most disgusting part of the human body, but there's something cute and endearing about Hestia being barefoot all the time. Can't put my finger on it. It's not that it makes her look primitive or savage, because that's clearly not the case.
>>
File: Sniff snoof.gif (4.32 MB, 540x304)
4.32 MB
4.32 MB GIF
>>79644018
I don't agree with everything you said, but I agree with you about Hestia.
>>
>>79644018
How exactly are they the most disgusting part? Explain that to us.
>>
>>79644018
>Feet are the most disgusting part of the human body
Then why do they taste so good?
>>
>>79644018
>Feet are the most disgusting part of the human body
You say that, but I bet you haven't seen my hemorrhoids.
>>
File: Cultivator.jpg (1.27 MB, 1920x1200)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>79637523
>Death
LMAO weak as fuck
>>
>>79619051
So the Old Gods have physical bodies but don't require them to exist, but everyone else just vanishes once their body is destroyed?

What makes the Old Gods so different from everyone else?
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
I'm not sure. They're usually natural phenomena that became elementals and then progressed up to become spirits and then became gods once they began to be worshipped. Yeah, I stole it from Exalted, so what?

They usually take human forms, eventually.

>How do you treat gods? Are they human like in nature?
Yes. Reach level 12. Survive a Heavenly Calamity. Wabam, you're a god now! You get to go to Heaven and find out it resembles Chicago in the 1920s rather than the Olympus. You also get to respawn as long as you have a temple somewhere.
>>
>>79614444
I jump around on this one. But in the setting I'm working with, I've avoided using "god" in strong definition terms. Its something that anyone can use to describe anything they want to, but it doesn't have hard usage.

There are higher powers, but I didn't want to make a cut off point of being a god or not being a god. So there are god kings who are mortal, powerful immortals, dead mortals, ascended higher beings, natively higher beings, natural spirits, monsters, etc., all worshiped as gods.
>>
>>79647032
>EYY, I'M WALKIN' 'ERE!
>Hold up, you's tellin me this is Zeus' kid? THEFUCKOUTTAHERE!
>Eyyy Zeus, baby, CAMAAAAN! You're breakin' my balls 'ere!
>>
>>79646658
Okay, I don't get it. Am I missing something here?
>>
Me? No godly realms, they all walk the material plane and you talk to them and they were all born of the material plane sept the cthulu analog
>>
>>79653225
That's a xianxia character and... well, the term "xianxia" literally translates as "Immortal Hero".
>>
File: beleraphon.jpg (75 KB, 520x585)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>79614444
Maybe it's lazy but I generally just like to do the Greek thing were they either attempt to help and/or hinder the hero in their quest usually as a means to spite one another. It's a handy way to not quite railroad the players if they stray to far from the adventure. Players get lost? Oh look here's a god to set them on the right track. Need to doll out a power up or two? God loans them an item.
>>
>>79618590
>he's not playing D&D he must be a nogame
lmao
>>
>>79614785
Newfriend, people have been posting D.O.T.S. since long before "nogames" was a meme.
>>
>>79653332
>>79653225
That, plus most of those novels end with the cultivatior MCs able to literally destroy concepts like death as easily as you could crush an ant.
>>
>>79640345
?
sounds like she’s not only dead but her souls obliterated.
what a troon of a franchise.
>>
>>79646845
Who knows. They've just always been around and always will be. The age of other creatures comes and goes but they are simply perpetual.
>>
>>79614785
Undeniably based. It's amusing how bumpfag replied to your post multiple times with his immense butthurt
>>
>>79655007
Wait, destroy them for you personally, or for the world? You were a bit unclear.
>>
>>79614444
My Gods are massive in scope, distant to the affairs of man as they got bigger shit to fry like slinging galaxies and aligning constellations. The great evils my players face are mere microscopic remnants of greater terrors lurking deep in the void. Yes, I copied Samurai Jack. And no, I have no regrets. Mortals can become deities if they become mythic tiered immortals but that's extremely rare and only happens during the darkest of times when the world nearly gets destroyed.

When it comes to deities, I think the worst thing you can do is the Jim Butcher treatment with them as yet another pack of bland superheroes that can be soloed by a single fucking (his literal word of god) Predator Drone which makes me wonder why ancient people even bothered worshiping them in the first place.
>>
>>79658964
Well, it's a matter of perspective. If a person in a setting can usually only lift 200 pounds or so max, someone who can life 600 pounds with ease might be worshipped. In your example, modern feats have made the feats of the ancient gods less impressive.
>>
>>79658964
>Predator Drone
I've heard about the drone, but who did it kill? Stopped reading his books years ago.
>>
>>79614785
Bazado
>>
File: Schnabel.jpg (44 KB, 474x271)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>79637523
>Black Death
As usual the SJW selfowns himself.
>>
>>79658964
Isn’t the sheer number of Muggles why getting large groups of them involved basically the nuclear option in his stuff? It’s a quality vs quantity thing.
>>
>>79637523
Having Death not have alabaster pale skin is big gay. There are really good black heroes they could make movies out of instead of blackwashing known characters. Could do the David Zavimbe Batwing, Mr. Terrific, a Steel reboot, hell, Static Shock would sell like hotcakes. Blackwashing just isn't necessary.
>>
>>79658964
In an era where the most advanced form of military technology was a sharpened piece of iron, somebody who needs anti-tank missiles to be killed would appear pretty godlike.
While I think gods should be more powerful than that, I did like the one Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode with a demon described in ancient texts as being "invulnerable to any weapon forged by man". The characters pointed out that military technology has advanced a lot in the past 1000 years, and being immune to swords and spears doesn't necessarily make you immune to rocket launchers.
>>
>>79655353
More accurately the two merged together. The FGO Ishtar is neither Rin or Ishtar, but a combination of both, with a personality formed from the combined traits of both. So while you could say that Ishtar soul-vored Rin, you could also make the same claim in reverse.
Granted the resulting entity is more Ishtar than Rin, but Rin, a regular mortal (well, she's a mage, but still a human instead of a heroic spirit or something like that), being able to make up about 30% of a being where the other part is a literal goddess is pretty impressive.
>>
>>79614444
I play Midnight. The only active god is Izrador (think Sauron) and he’s an absolute cunt to everyone. Like, all the time, because he has no market competition and the lands that oppose him have largely fallen anyway, so he doesn’t have to pretend to be benevolent or even remotely good natured anymore. He’s technically already dead in that his body is kaput, but it hasn’t stopped him from taking over most of the world.
>>
>>79663467
Why have Death be limited to a single appearance at all? Maybe Death looks like something different for each person.
>>
>>79653653
Anon if you're just using this fake game of yours as a soapbox to advertise your trite worldview in this thread it doesn't matter what system you're using.
>>
File: 58273.jpg (384 KB, 709x1000)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>79665893
Having read the lore of Midnight, why do the heroes even fight? What is the benefit? All the books even say that regardless of how many of Izrador's mirrors they destroy, it won't even matter as even breaking the one on top of his gigantic fuckoff tower will only just inconvenience him.

Even the 4 heroes Izrador subverted long ago have no stats in the game (which is admittedly rare for a d20 game because all of those 3.5 books love their numberswank ordinarily) making them technically unkillable unless the GM gives them stats.

What is the point? There's not even a really "good" place to live worth protecting, unless you count the elf forest. Humans, dwarves, and halflings just have nothing.
>>
>>79669288
That is exactly canon to Gaiman's Endless (except replace "person" with "living being") and yet people still got mad about a black woman being cast as Death in an upcoming Netflix adaptation, because they don't read comics.
>>
>>79655353
Reincarnation is a thing in the Nasuverse and souls generally don't keep much of their past lives when they do it. The information gets preserved by the Root.
>>
>>79658513
They can literally destroy the concept of death completely, how is that not clear?
>>
There's two possible types of deities in my setting.

1.Coalesced psychic detritus formed from the emotional activity of sapient creatures. Made of mortal thoughtstuff, they're generally reasoning and empathetic. That doesn't mean they're *nice*, it just means that they have a psychology that you or I could reasonably hope to comprehend.

2. Horrific thoughtforms intruding into this reality from another realm of existence. They're impersonal and extremely difficult to understand. Unprotected contact is likely to leave lasting mental scars upon the mortal mind.

Neither is more powerful than the other, though the former often claim the latter are 'foreign entities' that should be cast from our reality lest they damage it. The former tend to be more popular, though the latter tend to attract a more devout following.
>>
>>79631263
>>79627836
where are these from?
>>
>>79663394
>>79663640
What I noticed with Butcher is his tendency to build things up but never deliver. I remember him talking about Gods in the setting way back in 2007 (around the time of the show) where he said that they were too busy to get involved, moving galaxies and birthing stars which sounded epic and pretty badass. But as the series moved on and 'matured,' we got to see the Gods essentially all shitting around in Chicago for some apparent reason as superheroes. I just couldn't help but feel disappointed. But the worst part came with the Lords of the Outer Night and Quetzalcoatl.

I'm fine with the classic dragon god of wisdom being a vampire generator. I'm not fine with the Lords of the Outer Night being built up for ten fucking books as these forgotten ancient beings who remembered the days of Atlantis and Nephilim. Then taken down like punks by a Deus Ex Machina after only using a lame paralysis spell.
>>
>>79614444
In my setting, Godhood has a few different meanings.

There's true objective Godhood, occupied by a One Above, like Eru Iluvatar. He's the creator of existence, although none of the living denizens of the world know about him.

Lesser Gods conceived of a collective unconscious. Due to the nature of magic in this world, when a shared thought is powerful enough it has a tangible effect on the material world.
This gives rise to religions with very real gods in the material sense, although of course none are as powerful as the Creator. The people of the world have no idea their own thoughts are the ones giving power to their god (save for a few ascetic scholars who study the universe).

There's men (or elves or orcs or any race with a religious cult) whose deeds in life brought them godhood. Again, because of the power of collective unconscious, the fame or infamy of these people throughout generations of stories and legends gave them power. These are typically the least powerful gods as they come from smaller communities and often start off as Herculean figures rather than cosmic religious icons.
The idea for this came from real world pagan faiths when I read that Odin was actually a real guy who came to northern Europe from Eurasia with his tribe.

(Also this collective unconscious stuff is I think how the real world operates too. Gods are real in our world, although in modern society Capital is a more powerful force than God and has replaced Him. Yes I am a schizo from /x/)
>>
>>79614444
Sort of a mishmash. Little bit of everything
>>
>>79614444
What about divine symbols? Obviously a war god is going to have a sword or something, and a storm god a lightning bolt, but what about if the god has multiple domains? Or what about more creative symbols than the above? Like, besides a flower or crops, what could be used a fertility deity symbol?
>>
>>79675852
>Little bit of everything
And how does this manifest? Details please.
>>
>>79675212
>although none of the living denizens of the world know about him.
Why not? Is he a recluse or something?
>>
>>79675212
Really? I couldn’t tell. XD Where did you even get these ideas?
>>
>>79614444
I use the strictly technical
>Deities are someone who is granting their power out to someone via followers.

Which means that the retarded player motivation of
>MY CHARACTER WANTS TO BECOME GOD!!
Is instantly shot in the foot. Sure, you can be a God at level one. If you give your power to some random and they just run off with your Soul Energy that's not my problem.

Being a deity is a shit load of work, and you have to be a force of personality in order for it to actually do anything. Giving away access power is useful because you spread your sphere of influence when your followers deal with minor problems for you. If you want to be a God just to have power, then in my setting you're a fucking retard because Gods are all about being as selfless as possible.
>>
File: Ishtar Avenger 1.png (141 KB, 512x724)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>79614444
Which is better, Archer Ishtar, her Avenger version (picture related) or her Rider version?
>>
>>79614444
In the last game I've run, Apotheosis was the goal, so yes a mortal can become a God but each method can only be used once.
>one of the main Human gods was a caveman that ate a prized elk of the elven goddess making Wood Elves hate him and be salty about it for the next few millenia. They still are mad about it.
>Gods are somewhat like the mortals they are worshipped by, molded by the time they still had more hands on approach to their favorite cave-creatures. But they are much more distant now, only really appearing if there's a new being that managed to achieve the god status.
>There's not really a multiple gods of one aspect, each group just has one patron diety (which they can share with another group. Humans and Goblins share a patron) and few other gods that reflect their culture. Those Patrons aren't really what created the race or the group, it's just that they like those creatures (The Human/Goblin patron is just really into perseverance and craftiness to solve your problems.).
>>
>>79678230
There's different "Levels"
>Lower levels are stuff like gods of simple things, akin to greek myth. Like the seas n' shit. Then there's the higher levels, which is where the bigass creator deities reside.
>There's also the lower realms, where demons and stuff come from.
>Then there's the realm in-between. Ever play Turgor? It's like that
>>
File: 1619494394510.jpg (688 KB, 1920x1137)
688 KB
688 KB JPG
>>79614444
In my setting gods are just old heroes who somehow aquired power/longevity/powerful inhuman bodies. They acknowledge that most members of sentient species are better influenced by religion so they started acting like deities to them, usually with good intent.
Some of them eventually stopped or even became antagonists because they grew too cynical about humanity. It's obviously more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.
>>
>>79614444
Godlike
Sometimes
Yes, but nobody in-universe knows bar like.. a couple monks, scholars of esoteric lore, and a wise sage. All of which in mountains and shit.
>>
File: tAmPRyvf.jpg (726 KB, 1700x1202)
726 KB
726 KB JPG
>>79614444
Which canon Divine Spirit Servant is most based and why? I prefer Eresh.
>>
>>79676022
Stonking big titties.
>>
>>79669288
Why would she be limited to appearance of a black woman then?
>>
>>79690965
Unfortunately, the in-between "Gods" are also the most likely to screw with not just humanity, but literally everyone.
>>
File: A True King.png (529 KB, 755x425)
529 KB
529 KB PNG
>>79696700
Because once you go black, you don't go back, obviously.

>>79695226
Caenis is pretty based and technically a Divine Spirits Servant.
>>
>>79696971
>Was raped
>Wishes for immunity to rape
>Proceeds to then herself rape
What the fuck is wrong with women? Did she wish for that purely so she could be immune to the "if I take the one who took my woman, my woman will still be my woman" protocol?
>>
>>79696971
That’s not what she actually says, right? Right?
>>
>>79697771
Women want to be raped, and the rape made her want to give other women the same.
>>
Gods (or "gods") humans can interact with are really just primordial spirits of great power (and not necessarily even the most powerful ones, just ones subject to worship and/or appeasement - the great Dragons of deadly sins for example are not usually considered to be gods, but are certainly among the most powerful spirits known) or sorcerers who have achieved immortality. Neither are very human like, as the former never were in the first place, while the latter are warped by time and their power.

True divinity, if it exists, is unknown, and perhaps unknowable.
>>
>>79638867
This is how I do it too. Very Warhammer-y, but with a veneer of high fantasy/forgotten realms/etc.
>>
File: wallhaven-ymojgd.jpg (1.67 MB, 3840x1920)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>79614444
i treat gods like a category more than a single thing, theres the eldritch great old ones, the human-like greek/norse dudes and shinto style 'gods' running around with types of gods inbetween. its kinda like dragons, you can have a little lizard the size of your palm who spits embers at you and its still as much a dragon as the feathered serpent who makes the typhoons happen, a god might not on the same level as a God but both are still gs
>>
>>79696971
She looks delicious milk chocolate to me.
>>
>>79696971
Which Lostbelt is this? The Indian one?
>>
>>79696971
>Caenis is pretty based
What’s so based about her?
>>
>>79698922
Is there any common aspect(s) between all of these god types? What about shared origins?
>>
>>79702072
The first one, Russia.
>>
File: How do you treat gods.png (708 KB, 795x885)
708 KB
708 KB PNG
>>79614444
>>
>>79614444
Either really anthropomorphic like the greek pantheon or not anthropomorphic at all (no face, body, gender, whatever).
>>
Gods in my settings are manifestations of universal constants. They don’t necessarily line up with any human conceptions of what those constants might be, but often have things attributed to them over time and built up culturally to represent things, but they are pretty much unknowably alien. Mortals who kill a god become the god. Not in the sense that they keep what they kill and take its place, but their existence is shifted to fill the void of the universal constant they just killed, making them a continuation of that constant.
>>
In my honest opinion, Gods are just horrendously powerful beings. But thematically I tend to make them personifications of nature as that's what a preindustrial people would do if they ever encountered these things. Deities need to be 'big' to truly have a sense of grandeur about them with we mortals only scraping remnants of their bootprints, trying to make sense of it all. I do however have saints, prophets, demons claiming their gods and taking over, idols, and the occasional local lord with delusions of grandeur for my 'god wars.'

>>79663640
I used to really like Jim but here he really screwed the pooch because it makes one wonder why Dresden didn't contact the DOD and just let a predator kill the Titan with a single missile strike thus saving fifty thousand people from horrible deaths. The setting really starts to fall on it's own weight. Furthermore, the last thing I should be thinking about is whether or not a squad of XCOM could solo the Fomorians in between all these fights. Would FEAR just tear through them? How about the HECU and Gordon Freeman, furthermore what about Xen? Would Dresden even survive a Vortigaunt? Fuck, Doomslayer would just shrekt everyone (and Dresden) before fucking off to hell to kill some more.

>>79673638
It's still better than the Aeronauts Windlass, his 'big' steampunk novel that sucked ass.
>>
>>79716483
Not a bot, bumpfag.
>>
>>79707543
dominion i'd say. gods control reality to a degree or otherwise have a greater presence in reality than most things, i like Destiny's approach with causality, so i might use that as the linking thread
>>
>>79717647
>Destiny's approach with causality
I haven’t played that game, what does it do?
>>
File: Prometheus.png (522 KB, 1024x626)
522 KB
522 KB PNG
>>79695226
Eresh is top tier waifu material but humanity's eternal bro Prometheus has always had our back so I have to give the top spot to him.
>>
>>79720006
as i understand it, the entities in the game are able to ignore physics to do stuff, they dont need a preceeding cause for somthing to happen like generating a tiny sun.
>>
>>79614444
What are some common patterns in pantheons, and how can we put our own spin on things? For example, most pantheons that I know about, like picture related, have a male head deity, but Japanese Shinto has a female head deity and sun deity. What other patterns can we subvert?
>>
>>79698922
>and shinto style 'gods' running around with types of gods inbetween
I do not follow? What do you mean?
>>
>>79724917
Make quetzacoatl a big tits blonde haired female?
>>
>>79725257
shintoism has gods in everything, theres a god for the river, that rock, the air, the moon and so on
>>
>>79614444
like shit, of course
>>
>>79614444
Most vanished during the war of infernal aggression. They are extremely inhuman in nature. Mortals cannot become gods.
>>
File: Food-Of-The-Gods.jpg (274 KB, 1111x760)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>79614444
Lots of mythologies have the gods eating and drinking special substances, if your gods need to eat and/or drink, do they just eat regular food, ambrosia like the Greek deities, or something else?

Also, do your gods need to breathe?
>>
>>79614785
>unironically called someone a nogaem
Jesus Christ, back to /k/ you go faggot
>>
>>79663727
>More accurately the two merged together.
ie. gone
>>
>>79614444
In my homebrew world for pathfinder religion is pretty fluid and based on belief. Every religion for the most part has some benefit to being a part of it with some overarching power or visible truth available to its adherents. Mortals of great power can sometimes become gods in a manner similar to how religion develops in the real world, with the cult of Eridido for example based off of Hinduism and Buddhism, basically Eridido is a Buddha type figure who ascended to godhood by becoming such a powerful mage that he created a gateway to the source of all energy in the universe. Erididosts believe this and do have magical powers which confirm their beleifs, although it is not definitive canon that Eridido even really exists, in order to allow the player to feel that any religion they choose in the setting is interesting and has some merit instead of gravitating towards what they believe irl.
>>
>>79728557
>war of infernal aggression.
Details please?
>>
File: ThotPatrol.png (992 KB, 2317x5690)
992 KB
992 KB PNG
>>79627896
even in the actual myth she was kinda of, a promiscuous bitch? that Gilgamesh not only rejected her advances, he went out of his way to verbally roast her despite telling a deity off being a really bad idea
>>
>>79733564
The lower planes breached a weak point in the barrier between worlds, and started a full-scale invasion of the prime material plane. The island kingdom of the Sah that they erupted in the center of was utterly shattered, and the seas around the island boiled for over a century. Those who were trapped on the islands were subjected to horrific mutating curses that warped their bodies into mocking imitations of the serpentine gods that had been stolen from them, while the Sah who were at sea or otherwise away from the islands were cut off from their kingdom and over time became the Elves. There was no meaningful division between demons and devils during the invasion, only that the devils had a more regimented structure while the demons were unleashed as a rampaging force. The war only ended because the snake-mutant descendants of those at the epicenter of the infernal planar breach managed to push through the portal, however briefly, and disjoin it on the other end. The portal still exists, but the exit point lashes around in an uncontrolled fashion between the planes, and when it almost never ends up exiting at the same location even when it does come back around to the same plane. The other end of the once-stable portal remains intact, but is now a one-way path to the lower planes, located in a crater surrounded by the ruins of the isle of Maedu. Since then, a tradition has emerged of the Godhunters. Roughly once a generation, a group will form that ventures through the portal into hell, in search of the stolen gods. Some are motivated by faith, others by a desire for personal glory or power. Those that survive face a harrowing journey home, as any path they find back to the prime material plane is rarely anywhere remotely close to where they left. No gods have yet been found, although traces of them have turned up—it appears that the Angel of Combustion may have once been a devil who consumed several gods and was subsumed by redemptive divine power.
>>
>>79627896
>Strange/Fake
I haven’t heard of that installment before, what’s the story there?
>>
>>79734326
>>79733564
Fuck off, bumpfag, you cunt.
>>
>>79614444
In my homebrew the original two gods were basically interdimensional eldritch horrors beyond even their children's comprehension, each generation after that though became more and more human until eventually a few in they actual went and made the various races
>>
>>79735722
And you can fuck off too.
>>
>>79735733
Stop replying to me schizo
>>
>>79735722
Are they still around? What are the major gods that interact with mortals?
>>
>>79735836
Eat shit, faggot.
>>
>>79627896
Wait, wasn't that the whole reason that she couldn't summon the Bull of Heaven in FGO, the Fake version summoned it first? I know that I heard that somewhere.
>>
>>79734326
Following the events of FSN, a bunch of Americans run two HGWs on top of each other and shit goes wildly off the rails. Featuring Gilgamesh, Enkidu, Richard the Lionheart, Avenger Herakles, and that dork from the Magic Association Flat Escardos. Written by the guy that did Baccano and Durarara so shit's gonna drag on for ages and nobody's going to die ever.
>>
>>79740337
>Flat Escardos.
Never heard of him.
>>
>>79734326
So you know how the Holy Grail War ritual frequently fucks up, goes off the rails, is filled with literal trap options, and never actually achieves what it set out to do?

Imagine a bunch of Americans trying to do it, but they only have about half the set up directions so they fudged the rest of it and hoped for the best.
>>
>>79743461
He's one of El-Melloi II (Waver)'s students at the Clock Tower and has appeared in some of the other TM novels, mostly in the El-Melloi Case Files series but also briefly in Apocrypha.
>>
>>79743587
Really, must have missed that when I watched the latter. What's his deal exactly?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (72 KB, 720x690)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
I WANT TO CUM INSIDE ISHTAR
>>
>>79712884
Whoever made that is not that bright, while there are an infinite amount of individuals, there's a finite amount of dead people. Stopping it earlier means there's less dead people.
>>
>>79614687
I'd like to hear more about your gods.
>>
I've gone with a "The Gods of Pegana" route, where I my "major" gods in their own realm separate from the mortals. There is very little initially stopping them from interfering with the world of mortals. These are the ones most often worshiped by mortals, but they are fickle, moody, and disconnected, only occasionally responding to prayers but taking greatly to anger when insulted. Mortals who managed to reach the Heavens were allowed, by the laws of the gods, to ascend, though this often lead to dire consequences for the mortals as these new Ascended tried to improve life, only to bring in an equal amount of suffering. This eventually ended when one of the Ascended, Adam, strengthened the barrier between Pegana and the mortal world, further restricting contact between gods and mortals.
However, there are extremely minor and weak gods scattered throughout the world, who gain life and sapience through belief, and are closer to household deities and local gods that are tangible, but will fade out as they lose either worship or are forgotten about by mortals. They are simple, easily pleased, easily offended, but rarely dangerous. These could be river gods, a god of an orchard, a forest deity, or even a sacred animal or insect that is believed to bless individuals.
>>
>>79746067
Seconding. What were your inspirations?
>>
File: Tiamat.jpg (127 KB, 1151x694)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>79614444
Do the non-humans of your setting have different gods than the humans?
>>
Immortal humans leering down from the clouds because they find screwing with the earth entertaining because everything up in heaven is too perfect.
They are basically drunk/high on ambrosia staring at a screen of pretty colors splashing into each other making other pretty colors.
>>
>>79745852
>Stopping it earlier means there's less dead people.
It literally does not. Infinity minus infinity is still infinity.
>>
>>79748237
He's wrong but there are bigger and smaller infinities. There's an infinite number of integers and an infinite number of real numbers between each integer, but there are more numbers between integers than there are integers.
>>
>>79745741
He's a complete autist. He makes entirely new schools of magecraft every time he wants to cast spells, he acts like a buffoon and apparently isn't a murderer solely out of respect for Waver.
>>
>>79731035
>mix ketchup and mustard
>entirely new sauce is created
It's fairly simpe if you're not a retard
>>
>>79748437
>He makes entirely new schools of magecraft every time he wants to cast spells
Why? And is that even supposed to be possible?
>>
>>79748453
>mix ketchup and mustard
Gross. Why would you do that?
>>
>>79614444
In my setting, they shaped the world into an actually comprehensible place and regularly interact with normal people (which they created). They usually stay in a "windlike" state, dividing their attention enough to multitask. They can coalesce into a single, immensely powerful body, but it would restrict their awareness of the world to the place it's currently occupying, so they only do that when absolutely vital.
>>
>>79734359
Can someone explain why I keep seeing these perplexing accusatory posts in random threads? Is it a bot?
>>
>>79748437
Yeah, doesn’t he become the Master of Jack the Ripper? A Berserker one that’s not a girl?
>>
>>79761371
Yeah, also known as the actually good Fateverse Jack.
>>
>>79697771
It's a massive cope
>>
File: dth.jpg (131 KB, 1242x1394)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
سوف تحصل على حجر في لحظة
>>
>>79637523
>i want to do something to totally own the conservatives bro
pottery
>>
>>79764236
based and الله خير-pilled
>>
>>79761424
>actually good Fateverse Jack.
I play FGO, and I like the other Jack, been trying to get her for a while.
>>
File: tenor (19).gif (935 KB, 396x498)
935 KB
935 KB GIF
>>79614444
Basically like this.

“I don't hold with paddlin' with the occult, Once you start paddlin' with the occult you start believing in spirits, and when you start believing in spirits you start believing in demons, and then before you know where you are you're believing in gods. And then you're in trouble."

"But all them things exist,"

"That's no call to go around believing in them. It only encourages 'em.”
>>
>>79630355
Hitler and Stalin too because if Caesar got in as a fat guy, they're totally gonna do it. And then there's Theodore Roosevelt who will shrek everyone he comes across.
>>
>>79767872
That’s Discworld right? It sounds like it to me.
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Were carefully, like a loaded gun.
No, they're more like True Fae of Changeling the Lost.
Nope. Doesn't mean the mortals know it and they will certainly try (and fail) to become one. Some gods find it entertaining and there are two well-known "ascended mortals" - one is goddess of wealth and commerce, who in fact has no powers of her own, but trickster god makes her and her followers believe she is the real deal. The second is a husband of goddess of love - kinda like in your pic -, god of pleasures, excess and hedonism, but it's not exactly a permanent position. There is always a husband god, but new mortals are slowly stuffed with the memories and soul pieces of the previous husbands till they start leaking and a new mortal husband has to be found. Again, no real powers, more like a really long vacation to Slaaneshi lands.
>>
File: 1609462318988.jpg (215 KB, 1200x848)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
they wander around and fight robots
>>
File: BileArtPA.jpg (96 KB, 708x1000)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>79767872
>The pressure increased. Something whispered, deep within him. It scratched at the walls of his mind, trying to catch his attention.
>He ignored it. ‘No gods,’ he repeated. ‘Random confluence of celestial phenomena. Interdimensional disasters, echoing outwards through our perceptions. I think, therefore I am. They do not, so they are not.’
>He met the Quaestor’s bland gaze unflinchingly. ‘Gods are for the weak. I am not weak.’
>>
>>79614444
Anyone have any ideas on how an afterlife, specifically something akin to the Greek Underworld, Might be presented in a monist cosmology. Souls are reunited with The Godhead upon death. What might the purpose of an underworld be in this case?
>>
>>79769976
Multiple ways to go about that:
-The Godhead has a dimensional case of multiple personality disorder. Existence is a way to filter personalities. The Afterlife contains those personalities deemed counter-productive or redundant.
-The Soul is not also the Mind, meaning one thing recombines with the Godhead, while the other goes to the Underworld
-Only those deemed worthy get to join the Godhead, the unworthy get a trip to the underworld. Worthiness can be very abstract.
>>
>>79769976
Maybe the Underworld is where these souls are "processed" before rejoining the Godhead. It's where they learn to move past their faults and earthly desires.
>>
>>79770122
>The Soul is not also the Mind, meaning one thing recombines with the Godhead, while the other goes to the Underworld
So what, souls are non-sapient with no memories? What's the point of splitting apart and rejoining then?
>>
>>79614444
>>79614687
I basically use this approach but the primodials have gone silent the "standard" avoid getting involed and the mortals can ascend but no one hasnt in thousands of years that we know
My players investigate an old empire that it fall was the last major Godly intervention
>>
>>79777180
Interesting. Maybe the old gods have done something to make ascending harder?
>>
File: cfd.jpg (231 KB, 849x1200)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>79614444
How do you handle there being different categories of gods in your setting, like the differences between picture related and OP pic related?
>>
>>79775757
It requires a kind of worldview where consciousness isn't a process, but an entity.
So the 'you' experiencing everything in your life can exist separate from all thoughts and memories.
>>
>>79746067
Not much to them, at the moment. None of the primordial ones have been fleshed out, they mostly just exist in order to explain things like gravity and time.

The 2nd generation or "baseline" gods are like those found in real world mythology. They shaped the world and have clashing personalities. The origin for humanity is that the god of wisdom saw how the other gods were constantly fucking up the world with their bickering, and convinced all the gods to work together to create something that belonged equally to all of them, resulting in humans. Eventually the gods started fighting again, splitting up into factions that attempted to recreate and improve upon humanity (creating the other races in the process). At least now they pull their punches, so as not to put too many humans in danger (as each god sees humanity-as-a-whole as one of their children).

The ascended mortals are all former humans, as they have a hint of each god within them. The first one to ascend was The Torchbearer. They no longer have a physical form, instead appearing to people in prophet, symbolic visions, literally and metaphorically lighting the way "forward" for that person. There's also The Rot King, who (while human) pissed someone off to the point that they bashed his head in and buried him alive, resulting in a sort of super-ascension, where he has multiple domains (madness, buried secrets, undeath)

>>79746714
It's a mismash of:
T.E.S. Lore (Daedra, The Make Way God, and Sithis in particular)
Green Lantern (The Emotion Entities)
Lovecraft
Real-world mythologies
>>
>>79770122
>>79772363
Thanks anons!
>>
>>79614785
I like when tourists and other no-games try their absolute hardest to fit in, by deriding others, not realising how contra they're acting to the board culture.
>>
>>79784663
>Real-world mythologies
Any in particular?
>>
>>79696971
Does Caenis have a paenis?
>>
>>79787365
I don't know. That would be too weird, right?
>>
>>79789888
Well, there is d’Eon. You know that Servant, right?
>>
>>79614785
/tg/ is a fantasy board ,games are irrelevant
>>
>>79616138
Worst? Uh, that's not Aqua
>>
>>79614444
I can tell you the approach I absolutely despise: the gods are entirely real, interventionist and physical beings AKA the Cosmology baked into 3.5. It creates so many problems and weird implications.

Generally there are a few approaches to Gods that I quite like.

The Conan Solution: There are many gods worshipped in the lands who may or may not exist. The only ones we know for certain exist are utterly inhuman, utterly alien beings who may or may not care for worship.

The Witcher & Dark Souls manage to have their cake and eat it to in a way I quite like.

In the Witcher: Priests are apparently able to work miracles. Priests are adamant these are miracles granted by their gods. However, when a Sorcerer studied their magic, he reached a very different conclusion. By reciting prayers to the gods, priests enter a state of self-hypnosis and channel Chaos just like Mages do. He published a treatise on his findings which the Priests were NOT happy about. His book was banned and the Sorcerer burned at the stake for Heresy. It created Antipathy between mages and priests that persisted for decades.

Dark Souls does something similar in order to justify Clerical magic continuing to work despite the fact that basically all of the gods are dead (especially in Dark Souls 3.)
>>
>>79795361
It’s because she lost something that the heroes were desperately hoping to use IIRC. Remember the giant bull Ishtar released when Gil rejected her?
>>
>>79796597
How did she just "lose" a giant divine bull? That's not something that you just misplace!
>>
>>79614444
>How do you treat gods?
Like cocksleeves. Even the men. Especially the men.
Yeah, but only sexy humans
Only if they take on a mantle of divinity and accept a lifetime of getting fucked
>>
>10 days and 4 hours ago
>>
>>79620520
>>
>>79637523
>cOuld've gotten cute 80s goth gf
>got some diversity hire to both, pander the twitter mob and make /pol/ retards watch the show just to take screenshot for internet rants.
This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
File: R8zyygo.png (499 KB, 1182x1182)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
>>79614444
What's up with Ishtar and only wearing a sock on one leg, anyway? Eresh does it too, did they get it from Rin?
>>
>>79802012
>breaks symmetry, thus makes the design more appealing
>allows for mirror design of Ishtar/Eresh
>best of both worlds between long socks and bare leg
>draws more attention to the legs in general, which they seemed to focus on with the design
>>
>>79639656
Pretty sure she'd be dead in FGO even if Ishtar wasn't using her as a vessel, due to the Fuyuki singularity. I vaguely recall it being said that repairing a singularity doesn't cause most or any of its damage to disappear, it just happens from something different.
>>
>>79614785
The only correct answer.
>>
>>79786963
Greco-roman mostly, as I liked how they bicker with each other like some sort of soap opera
>>
>>79614444
I'd DIVINE her HODHOOD, if you CATCH ME DRIFT
>>
>>79614444
This bitch gets me hard
>>
>>79614444
One of my favorite tropes in Fantasy is the idea that there was an "age of Gods" that is now long past.

I love the idea that Gods and Goddesses once walked among men, but now they have vanished. Perhaps after some great cataclysm.

The land may be scattered with ruins and artifacts left behind by the gods allegedly
>>
>>79748237
he said
>there's a finite amount of dead people.
Finite being the key word. That's assuming of course that the train did indeed start somewhere and has not simply been doing this for time immemorial.
>>
>>79757004
There is an anon who bumps worldbuilding threads, when they reach page 10, with stupid shallow questions just to stop the thread from dying. This is the "bumpfag" and he keeps these threads alive long past when they should be.
>>
>>79808675
>allegedly
Why “allegedly”?
>>
>>79811789
Because these are legends from the hazy dawn of time. Maybe they are true? Maybe exaggerated? Maybe the gods never existed at all.

I like to have that mystery and uncertainty.
>>
>>79811883
Fair enough. What alternative explanations do you like and why?
>>
>>79814812
NANOMACHINES, SON
>>
>>79614444
What kinds of enemies or threats do you prefer the gods of your setting to face and why? There's demon lords like picture related, primordial deities, rogue elements of the pantheon/other gods, giants, Lovecraftian horrors, or some combination of the above? Did I miss any potential threats to the divine that you've used or like, and if so, what was it?

Can these enemies actually KILL the gods, or just imprison or overthrow them?
>>
>>79614444
How does Ishtar rate compared to her version from Fake?
>>
>>79618611
I kept with RS3 when they made the sixth era stuff. Honestly there were some good ideas there even if they’re basically gone now. All of the ascended gods had complicated philosophies and actively courted mortals to join them, even the ‘evil’ ones. While the born gods basically just imposed their will and just expected obedience, while the elder gods need to be kept asleep because if they wake they’ll eat the world killing everyone and everything, followed by making a new world and going back to sleep.
>>
>>79816025
Why exactly do you like them as an explanation? What about fantasy explanations?
>>
>>79824386
Because if i turn myself into an eternal nanoswarm, you can bet i'm going to troll the fuck out of the post-armageddon barbarians.
>>
>>79808736
This. The thread has been around from 5 June, for fuck's sake. It's by no means that interesting. Look at bumpfag doing shit like:
>>79824386
>>79811789
>>79799862
>>79786963
>>79733564
>>79734326
There is absolutely no reason why it should have been around for that long.
>>
File: 1518860496410.jpg (187 KB, 1024x663)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>79663640
Can I rant about this guy? One of Butcher's (many) problems is his reliance on Whedon-esque dialogue where Dresden's winking at the reader with incredibly dated references. Eventually the snark just becomes annoying as you're being constantly pulled from the tension left and right. Further problems abound with the fucked up power levels, building everything up only for the plot to collapse under it's own weight, and all the dated 'nerd' crap. Yes, the last one is very poignant and only gets worse with time.

All these books have references to Star Wars and comic books as geek fanservice which take you out of the setting, especially when you start to see Butcher backpedaling on the Jedi references thanks to Disney locking it's IP's tighter than a chastity belt. Remember when Molly appeared in Dresden's dreamscape in a Star Trek costume, despite apparently being a big Star Wars fan? Yeah, Jim fears the Mouse. Then it's even more depressing when you realize that Butcher has no idea what the modern 'nerd' world looks like: Star Wars and Trek are dead IPs, carried along by psychotic twitter trannies and old ass boomers.

Conventions are just cosplayers with Daddy issues with schitzos moderating the costumes- anime girls in, storm troopers out (while ironically ranting about how sexist anime is). With the decline of serial television, Jim's 'old' clique now watches anime and only bothers with Superheroes when you have a prime series. E3 and Comic Con are just corporate meetings where suits barely talk about the games themselves. These books are old, largely riding off the popularity of Buffy and WOD from the 90s and it shows.

I think the read kicker for me was Battlegrounds because it felt like a Buffy episode with her leading the locals against the vampires which at first came off as odd to me because I expected something more akin to XCOM or the HECU from Half Life or even Doomguy to show up and start kicking shit. Which really dialed in how old Jim was.
>>
>11 days and 16 hours ago
>>
>>79827802
Wow.
>>
>>79828163
That’s the power of a pretty anime girl in the OP picture.
>>
>>79824424
That seems... rather petty. But hey, you do you.
>>
>>79816025
>NANOMACHINES, SON
So, basically what Generator Rex does, only with the details forgotten. Gotcha.
>>
>>79821257
I know that the former is much less of a bitch. Thanks Rin!
>>
>>79808713
Why did we even start talking about this in the first place? Glad that the thread is almost dead.
>>
>>79614444
Goodbye Ishtar. I hope that your Avenger form shows up in the English game soon!
>>
>>79615050
Reminds me of the Black Company series IIRC.
>>
>>79824424
Why not prevent the apocalypse in the first place? Unless you transformed yourself afterwards?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.