[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Voyage-of-the-Vingilot.jpg (251 KB, 740x978)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Farewell Edition

>UA: Draconic Options
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021-DraconicOptions.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20%5Bmulti%5D/5th%20Edition%20%285e%29/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:>>79003315

What will you do if you'll be no longer playing Dungeons & Dragons?
>>
>>79011111
I will post my thread when the old thread is still on page 3 and wait until page 5 before linking it.
>>
TC question sucked: Kings! Queens! Tell me about the royalty in your games! Are they kind hearts people who won their throne through the hearts of their people. Or a tyrant who conquered the land and rules with an iron fist?
>>
>>79011227
Critical role campaign one
>>
File: 1618866919745.gif (1.74 MB, 686x984)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB GIF
>players seem to be loving the campaign I'm running
>they always mention how much fun it was in our group chat
>>
>>79011265
why
>>
>>79011227
>cant even remember Ashley Johnson's character so just includes both of Same's characters
I dont even blame you
>>
>>79011304
I think that's Percy, isn't the other dude an Artificer?
>>
Am I a fucking retard? I just now realized that the Darkness and Devil's Sight combo doesn't require you to cast it on the enemy, you can just use it on yourself and still get the Advantage on all your attacks because you're an unseen attacker
Similarly, this makes the single square of magical darkness created by Summon Fey a lot more useful than I thought since you can put it on yourself instead of the enemy. Holy fuck I'm retarded.
>>
>>79011111
Quints on /5eg/? Thread is blessed

>>79011232
Depends entirely on the nation in question, the elves of notFrance are uniformly scheming, conniving bastards that view non-nobles as subhumans and blackmail and assasinations as perfectly reasonable political tools
Some countries have a king whos actually a good guy, some have a king that kinda sucks.
Others are run by a Republican Rome-esque oligarchy, or even a pure democracy, while others still are a Theocratic council

At the end of the day, the rulers of nations are people like any other, and as such are subject to the whole spectrum of virtues and vices

Except the elves, they're assholes.
>>
My half-elf bard almost died today.
>>
>>79011408
yes, and if your fellows complain just remember you saved them all from Pack Tactics crits
>>
>>79011408
That is correct, and casting it on yourself will also protect yourself from enemy attacks.
It will also piss off your allies who must stand some distance away from you or be blind.
>>
>>79011461
you don't even need to cover any of your allies in it, you can stand 120 feet away and shoot blasts out of the darkness with Advantage since you're effectively under the benefit of Greater Invisibility, attacking someone you can see who can't see you
>>
>>79011111
What are the most busted spells a divination themed Wizard could take with no multi-classing?
>>
>>79011386
Oh yeah, the Gunslinger was a fighter. You're right.
>>
>The Human Fighter
>The Half-Orc Barbarian
>The Halfling Rogue
>The ??? Monk
>The Dwarf Cleric
>The Dragonborn Paladin
>The ??? Druid
>The ??? Ranger
>The ??? Wizard
>The Tiefling Warlock
>The ??? Sorcerer
>The ??? Bard
How do we fix this without doubling up on Elves? Do Half-Elves go Bard or Ranger?
>>
>>79011111
You don't deserve those quints...
>>
>>79011543
half elf goes bard easy
>>
>>79011543
half elf bard
wood elf ranger
>>
>>79011543
Half-elf bard, elf monk, genasi sorcerer
>>
>>79011500
Do you want just Divination school spells, or just Wizard spells in general?
>>
>>79011543
>Monk
Aaracokra or Tortle
>Druid
Firbolg
>Ranger
Elf
>Wizard
Gnome
>Sorcerer
Aasimar
>Bard
Half-elf
>>
>>79011623
Wizard spells in general but I'm going to lean more into the support non-combatant role.
>>
>>79011543
High elf wizard, wood elf druid or ranger, half-elf bard.
>>
>>79011543
>tortle druid
>grung monk
>gnome wizard
>elf ranger
>genasi sorcerer
>half-elf bard
>>
Weird idea. What if abilities that had certain amount of limits could cost spell slots instead? (superiority dice, rage, wildshapes, etc.)
The level of the spell slot could increase the effectiveness of those abilities similarly to upscaling spells.
>>
>>79011652
What level range?
>>
>>79011681
>not firbolg druid and tortle monk
ngmi
>>
>>79011692
4e
>>
>>79011693
Level 5 right now but planning ahead for the future.
>>
>>79011500
The same broken spells every other wizard takes but with an emphasis on saves since you can guarantee enemies will fail them with low portent rolls.
at level 1 sleep is OP, it resolves 5d8 hp of enemies when you have like ten health yourself, there's also no save allowed. If you want to avoid getting TPKd by goblins at first level this spell is a must.

Other encounter-defining if not ending spells:
Web
Hypnotic Pattern
Fly
The new Tasha's summon spells
Fog Cloud
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Polymorph
Animate Object

Burning all your spell slots blasting for damage is for low iq noobs, you are much better served just using a single incredibly powerful concentration effect to control the battlefield and it's much more slot efficient as well. Instead of wasting all your slots on multiple scorching rays and magic missiles, you can often get away with a single leveled spell per encounter. And when you know you'll have a five minute adventuring day you can go all out and be fucking disgusting
>>
>>79011699
Firbolgs are too obviously druid-leaning, and while tortles can make up for monks' MAD AC, they still feel more appropriate as druids for me. A grung synergizes better with monk anyway.
>>
>>79011415
In a bed? In somebody else's bed?
>>
Is it a good deal to betray your clearly good patron in favor of clearly evil patron for a one wish?
>>
>>79011232
>Tell me about the royalty in your games!
The Queen from one of the backstories was a just authority figure and beloved by everyone because she wasn't an ass for once in the lineage. Then her kingdom got ravaged by undead because it was on a critical location. In her desperation and grief she became a Death Knight and commanded her own army of undead in an attempt to make a last stand against the enemy. Not only she lost the war and died for real, but because of her transformation stories paint her as a tyrant who was always a devil worshipper.
>>
>>79011845
In a boat, when the party was attacked by tentacles from the deep. He survived the encounter with 3 HP to spare; had he gone to 0, I'm almost certain he would have died.
>>
>>79011852
Betraying your patron is never a good deal.
>>
>>79011543
the loxodon cleric
what's so wise about dwarves anyway? They're are the epitomal ostrich with its head in the sand in concerns to the world.
>>
>>79011232
There aren't monarchs in my setting, it's a constitutional magocracy
>>
>>79011730
Gotcha, so ill throw out some of the highlights for support spells at the next few spell levels then
>3rd
Slow, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell Dispel Magic(Value of these last two varies wildly depending on how your DM runs his game)
>4th
Polymorph, Greater Invisibility, Confusion, Animate Objects
>5th
Wall of Force, Hold Monster, Seeming, Scrying, Teleportation Circle
>>
>>79011543
Aasimar Paladin
Dragonborn Sorcerer
Firbolg Druid
Githzerai Monk
Elf Ranger
Gnome Wizard
Half-Elf Bard
>>
>>79011111
>What will you do if you'll be no longer playing Dungeons & Dragons?
OP, are you processing something? 4chan is the worst place to talk about it.
>>
>>79011111
What are you on about? Roleplaying is an addiction and I can't just quit it! My friends don't play any other systems and I'm too much of a brainlet to bother.
>>
>>79012072
who is this character and why do i feel like i know her
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

Intelligence check
>>
>>79011756
I'm pretty sure he wanted busted spells that also go with his theme. Rather than a generic good wizard spell list
>>
>>79012136
Nagao Kagetora from Fate/Grand Order. She has issues over smiling all the time.
>>
>>79012144
congration
you done it
>>
>>79012136
Her coloring and color scheme is super common in mobages She could be:
>a ship form Kantai Collection
>a bird from Kemono Friends
>an operator from Arknights
>a gun from Girls Frontline
or the answer >>79012190
>>
Rolled 11 + 7 (1d20 + 7)

rolling persuasion
>>
>>79012362
your attempt fails as rollposts are autofiltered
>>
>Nobility question

The king (deceased) and queen in my setting were actually infamous thieves in their lives before they decided to retire/settle down in a faraway land where they built up a kingdom from scratch with a little help from at least one dragon and numerous other contacts

The nobility is mostly made up of said other contacts, close friends/people they owed/etc which in itself could be a lot more intriguing and compelling than the "fight bad monsters in shadowfell" plot I'm actually running but it's my first time dming so i wanted to keep it simple

The queen is stern but fair and the princess is a real beloved figure in the kingdom
>>
>>79012473
Also I have no idea how the king died but I should probably decide on something cause it's gonna come up eventually I'm sure
>>
>>79012561
Prostate Cancer
>>
>>79012561
anal
>>
>>79012589
>>79012614
Ah yes that will do nicely thanks anons

Current working idea is "on a hunting trip" but it's pretty mundane and boring, not that there's anything wrong it, just feels like I could do more

Princess was like 12-14 when it happened and is now mid-early 20's
>>
File deleted.
>>79011111
What do people here think of tashas caustic brew
The scaling seemed very good
>>
>>79012713
>Current working idea is "on a hunting trip"
Don't do this unless you want your players to immediately start suspecting the queen of having him killed.
>>
>>79012756
Coffee is bad for you anon
>>
>>79012756
It's ass, terrible spell
>>
>>79012756
It's decent, can hit a few people at once to statistically make almost certain at least one hit. But even though it scales well it doesn't do much damage for a spell that eats up your concentration. Its main utility is requiring an action to remove.
>>
>>79012756
>>79012980
>>79013004
why the fuck is it a concentration spell? it cant reapply after the initial casting, and how does acid just being on people require concentration? Doesnt make any sense
>>
>>79013047
Your magic is required to maintain its acidity. Otherwise it would react with the target's flesh and quickly lose its acidity as it gets diluted by its conjugate base.
>>
>>79013113
if you have enough acid poured on you to be causing 2d4 damage per round to you, its not just going to suddenly lose its acidity
>>
How is Grim Hollow? Has anyone used it?
>>
>>79013162
On the contrary, regular acid deals 2d6 acid damage and loses its acidity within a single round.
>>
>>79013162
If it's a spell with a duration it will
If I cast cloudkill the cloud doesn't stay after I end it
>>
>>79011543
Scourge Aasimar Monk
Firbolg Druid
Shifter Ranger
Genasi Wizard
Hollow One Sorcerer
Half-Elf Bard
>>
>>79013184
regular acid is also fucking ass
>>
If I go an EK, would I be better off with a warlock or a wizard dip for more spell slots / more varied slots?
>both to level 3
>for Warlock I need cha and they come back on a short rest
>wizard has more slots and more spells with ritual casting but it's on long rests
what do
>>
>writing down homebrew spells
>think about naming a spell after my character
>realize if I shared it in public people would bully me
>choose not to name a spell after my character
>feel sad
bros....
>>
File: f8f.png (547 KB, 540x720)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
The party consists of a...
>Male
>Female
>Futa
>Femboy
What are their classes and races?
Feel free to add other members to the party
>>
>>79013460
>A CBE can use a shield, a GWM can't.
That's not true. CBE lets you ignore the Loading property, but not the Ammunition property. You still need a free hand for the ammunition.
>>
>>79013509
That entirely depends on you character. Are they dedicated to hard-work, a bit of a nerd and likes having lots of options? Wizard. Or do they look for shortcuts, don't mind dealing with an overlord and like taking lots of naps? Warlock. Personally I'd go wizard for all dem rituals. If you have the spare levels you could go two levels in artificer for the infusions and spells the other two don't get.
>>
>>79013538
That is why no one will remember your name.
>>
>>79013509
Just don't go EK, be a bladesinger.
>>
>>79013642
>laughs in artificer
>>
>>79013564
Somehow Femboy immediately makes me think hexblade warlock. Don't know about the rest.
>>
>>79013678
Yeah, but that's not what anon was talking about.
>>
File: 1498518345339.jpg (53 KB, 500x567)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>79013538
>take 5e spell
>change damage type
>slap my name at the start of it
>publish it on d&dbeyond
>>
>>79013538
>working with players to make a homebrew spell during downtime
>give them a few names i came up with as inspiration
>they take one and add their character's name in front of it
for some reason, that didn't even cross my mind. the idea of building up a collection of homebrew spells from my home games and uses it in future campaigns makes me all warm and fuzzy inside
>>
>>79013673
Eldritch Knights are cool. You basically are Alucard complete with fancy recalling sword
>>
>>79013509
If you want more spell slots then don't play EK in the first place. Just play bladesinger or sorcadin.
EK wants extra attacks, you're a fighter that can cast, not a caster that can fight. If you multiclass your piss poor spell slot scaling is going to be even worse.
>>
How do you feel about loot a character might not use? I have a fighter who's using GWM and I'm intending on having a magical rapier as a reward in this dungeon. The rapier would be better than his greataxe, but I viousky wouldn't work with his feat. Realistically not every piece of loot would be a 2h weapon, so am I being a dick for not tailoring loot to the PCs?
>>
>>79013751
Are the magical properties of the rapier worth the fighter giving up GWM to use it? If not it's not necessarily a dick move, but don't be offended if the fighter seeks to sell it or gives it to another party member at the next opportunity.
>>
>>79013751
Either you add up a merchant they can sell it to or someone they can trade it away to for something more relevant. If you don't have either of those then you're giving him a 2 pound paper weight.
>>
>>79013751
i pretty much exclusively tailor interesting or homebrew loot to the party, though they may still find magical weapons, armor, or gear that isn't perfect for them on various enemies or in loot piles. it may break immersion a bit, but it's also a lot more fun for the players, and this is a game after all, so it's worth it
>>
>>79013751
I randomly generate treasure so I don't have this issue. For a good while our paladin used a magic quarterstaff since it has pluses and their greatsword didn't
>>
>>79013669
I just want to make a note of how badass Achilles was in that fight against Hector.

The sound when he does that jumping thrust attack into his shield...

...mmm
>>
My party is most likely going to be defeated by a group of pirates they are fighting. Their own ship was set ablaze and they've taken the fight to the pirates own ship. I intended for them to capture it but they've been fighting incredibly stupidly. I really don't want to TPK them so I'm going to try and steer them to surrender as they have killed more than half of the pirates already so a negotiation logically works well for each side. The worst case scenario is that the party is given the jolly boat but all of their gold is taken from them. They're level 3 and some of them have more than 1000GP...

Am I being too harsh?
>>
>>79013751
I'm of the opinion 80-90% of magical loot should be whatever happens to be there (so random) but if your player explicitly researches and looks for an item for them you should tailor it.
Dungeon delve some random area? Sorry CBE fighter there's no magic hand crossbow
>>
>>79011111
>thread pic
It's beautiful. Source?
>>
>>79013920
No, that sounds reasonable. The pirates will be concerned that they don't have enough crew left as well if the party has killed more than half of them already.

Give the pirates reason to call a truce (i.e. the blaze from the party's ship reaches their ship) and have the most senior remaining pirate remind the party that if this ship catches on fire too or if they kill all the pirates they'll all be dead men.

If the captain and most of the senior officers are dead, bribing off the remaining pirates to become their evidently combat-competent new captain sounds reasonable; the crew have more leverage than normal because they know that if they refuse to man their stations the ship will be unsailable.
>>
>>79013751
When players clear a dungeon, there is loot and treasure. Loot rewards players with new toys they can use, while treasure is a resource that is meant to mean something, but because there's no 5e standard for it, it falls to the wayside. Good GMs can manage this and use the slim pickings to allow magic items to be crafted/commissioned/bought/sold. If you do this, then loot that a character doesn't want can then be turned into equivalent treasure, which then can be used to barter for loot they DO want.
If your player wanted to take that rapier and distill its magic into their axe, would you be cool with that? Some people are attached to their weapons for sentimental reasons. If you offer a +2 rapier and they want to condense it, you can let them make it a +1 axe. Ultimately, the individual weapon is weaker, but the player may be more satisfied by being allowed the customization.
You're correct that realistically, not everything would be tailored to players. The way you counter that is by allowing players to tailor things to their uses. That allows creativity and opens character potential. Maybe they do wanna try a rapier. Maybe they want to use it for something else. My solution for loot is to make them desirable items before the players get them, or give them as reward for character development/trajectory. It's one thing to find a cool sword in a dungeon, and another thing entirely for the spirit of the sword's owner to appear and request their aid and give them their sword as a reward. It's one thing to have a magical rapier as a reward in the dungeon, and another entirely if this rapier is the one the boss used at the end to trounce you.
>>
>>79013920
That's a good idea. Alternatively, since the pirates have been lost enough members, then capturing the PCs to serve at least as manual labor until they can reach somewhere to get reinforcements would be a good lose-but-not-death scenario.
>>
>>79013538
>>79013728
This is how one of my players invented Piotr's Instant Disfigurement
>>
>>79014057
>If your player wanted to take that rapier and distill its magic into their axe, would you be cool with that?
seconding this, this type of shit is incredibly based
>>
>>79013791
It's a +1 rapier that lets you cast misty step once per day. Hes currently using a mundane greataxe
>>79014057
They can absolutely craft their own gear. I have a relatively simple MonHun inspired crafting system that lets them create and upgrade their own gear in almost any way they want. I hadn't considered "condensing" a magic item, but that's pretty cool.
>>
>>79011415
>bard almost died
Remove the "almost" and I'd enjoy the post.
>>
>>79013920
It's good to remember the Pirates' priorities too. Their goal is to capture ships and their booty and return to a friendly port that can sell them. If most of them are dead, they'll have trouble doing both. They'll be happy to negotiate.
Individually, some pirates may just be bloodthirsty brigands, but some of them may be older pirates who are hoping to retire on the next big haul, or desperate men who were forced by a cruel captain to mutiny and now have nowhere to escape but piracy; the party can appeal to them to turn on their own if they can convince them that they have the political clout to get them clemency or a letter of marque.
>>
>Join game
>Mystic allowed as-is
>Rolled 17-17-16-15-12-12
>Tashas greenlit
This is either a fantastic thing or a trap. The only people who allow mystics have been those with no idea how poorly 5e handles a class that heavily forces int saves, ones that grandfathered the class or people with a hardon for screwing psionics over
>>
>>79014234
So just don't play a mystic.
>>
>>79014177
The Misty Step thing is pretty cool. For condensing it should never be a 1:1, there's always a slight cost, so you could list individual bonuses as its properties, and allow condensing to transfer their properties minus a few, depending on how many properties the item already has. Condensing is also a permanent thing, you can't condense that rapier into two different items, the rapier is gone after condensing it. But, it's the player's choice whether it gains the misty step property (obviously, it'll be a magic weapon after but without an attack bonus) or the +1 bonus property.
>>
>>79014234
why don't you ask the DM what they think of the Mystic
>>
>>79014177
Expect the player to just draw the rapier, use misty step and then put it away the subsequent turn.
>>
>>79013982
https://www.deviantart.com/mellaril/art/Voyage-of-the-Vingilot-719643606
(For the uninitiated in Tolkienology, Elf to the left is Eärendil, father of Elrond and Elros. The gem on his forehead is Silmaril.)
>>
>>79011543
Tiefling bard and sorcerer
Human everything else
>>
File: file.png (32 KB, 931x398)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
Just to clarify, the average DPR of a pure barbarian is still higher with a 2d6 weapon than a grateaxe, unless s/he's a halforc.

As it should be, because mauls are the heaviest, cutest, most terrifying weapons on the battlefield
>>
>>79011111
Home renovations, I'd say.
>>
>>79011111
TQ: there's always GURPS.
>>
>>79014506
Is there really? You could've said Shadow of the Weird Wizard or PF2 or something people will actually play.
>>
>>79014289
>Eating an attunement slots for a once per day ability
I'm ok with that
>>
>>79014521
I play gurps though
It was our last resorts since every cyberpunk system is either unplayable without 20 pages of houserules or narrative drivel like pbta
>>
>>79014025
>>79014088
>>79014204

Thanks guys, I will take these suggestions on board.
>>
>Warlock with Eldritch Spear, Spell Sniper, and Fly
>Fly a gorillion feet in the air and snipe at ground peasants
Outside of just going inside a dungeon, how do you counter this without seeming like you're deliberately targeting them?
>>
>>79014877
>how do you counter this without seeming like you're deliberately targeting them?
Literally anyone with a fly speed.
>>
>>79014877
>No you can't see through the tree canopy
>>
File: MuscleWizard11.png (937 KB, 887x1147)
937 KB
937 KB PNG
MUSCLE WIZARD
now with even LESS text to read for it's features.
basically you cast spells in melee range and add your unarmed strike damage to the damage of your spells. I feel like it's sitting on the OP side right now, but the last version was too far on the underpowered side according to anons here. Just trying to thread that elusive needle and any feedback at all really helps
currently debating scrapping a lot of the features and just having the bulk of the subclass revolve around adding your STR mod to stuff like AC and damage to a target in melee range when you cast a spell.
>>
I don't understand Wisdom as a spellcasting stat. Intelligence makes sense because you studied magic, and Charisma makes sense because it's inner power, but then there's Wisdom and it makes no sense at all. What's the relationship between wisdom and nature magic, or divine magic? How does being wiser help you cast better? FUCK!
>>
>>79014877
Enemies will start to hide and start shooting back with longbows. Advantage from being hidden will counteract disadvantage from firing at maximum range. Eldritch Blast can't exceed the maximum range of a longbow.
>>
>>79015121
Wisdom is the skill of insight, of discerning the intentions and actions of others. A cleric, when using wisdom, is discerning the will of their god and channeling it to perform their miracles. A druid or monk is doing it to the flow of nature or ki.
>>
File: 1600909744333.png (163 KB, 382x452)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
I don't multiclass ever so I don't understand this stuff but what is the draw of Sorcadin/Hexadin and how does one execute it?

I just want something where I can use arcane spells as a paladin.
>>
>>79015186
That makes no sense because you're replicating the same exact spells that might be cast by an intelligence or wisdom caster in many cases. Why is the will of the gods limited to a predefined spell list?
>>
>>79015319
intelligence or charisma caster*
>>
>>79015319
>because you're replicating the same exact spells that might be cast by an intelligence or wisdom caster in many cases.
Arcane and Divine Magic are inherently different, even if they accomplish the same effects.
>Why is the will of the gods limited to a predefined spell list?
Because you are fundamentally an imperfect channel, because you are mortal and your wisdom is limited. Check out the Divine Intervention feature: gods can call upon any spell from the cleric spell list or domain spell list should they wish, but as imperfect vessels clerics can only channel what they prepare beforehand.
>>
>>79015275
>Both
Because they are CHA casters that benefit from pumping CHA
>Sorcadin
You get more spell slots and sorcery points. Quick casting hold person so you can auto crit them, making yourself fly, etc is all just pure joy. You also get higher spell slots so you can soak smite more (which is what paladins want to do)
>Hexadin
More spell slots, pure CHA, Hex, no longer long rest dependent.

Paladin is the best class in the game because it has solid magic PLUS being one of the highest damaging classes PLUS wearing heavy armor. Giving paladins the ability to cast more spells, be less MAD or do more damage will always be good
>>
>>79015275
Hexadin is neat because you can use Charisma for weapon attacks, and gives you spell slot that recharge on a short rest for more smiting
>>
>sorcerer+paladin is great
>wizard+paladin is ass
wtf Wotc
>>
>>79015438
u MAD?
>>
>>79015438
A sorceror's magic comes from the heart, which is the root of a paladin's power as well. A wizard's power comes from study and formula, entirely different in theme.
>>
>>79015438
I've played a bladesinger paladin, it was pretty fun
>>
>>79015395
What exactly is preparing a spell for a cleric?
>>
>>79015319
>>79015395
Consider a ship upon a stormy sea. A skilled sailor, who can perceive and understand the wind, can turn his sails to the wind, and propel himself forwards and (within limits) in nearly any direction as long as it does not totally oppose the wind. But the sailor will always be limited by the capabilities of his ship, and though he may be propelled forwards by the force of the wind, he never truly captures the full power of the tempest.

So to it is with wis casters; the boat and its sailor is the cleric, the wind is the will of his god. The cleric perceives and understands the will of his god and uses it to propel his spells, but he is fundamentally constrained by his prison of flesh and bone; he moves with his god, but even into the highest levels he can never express the full power of divine will.
>>
If I'm a level 2 Monk/Fighter with the Unarmed Fighting Style, can I make 2 1d8 attacks in one turn?
>>
>>79015571
Yes
>>
>>79015579

And strictly speaking would it be better just to be a level 2 Monk? It's for a oneshot.
>>
>>79015551
>Preparing a new list of cleric spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.
Preparing yourself for the next day as he will, listening to the whispers of his deity to prepare the miracles he expects to need in the coming day. Using the ship example from >>79015562, the sailor is repairing his sails and making alterations, where he believes it necessary, to prepare for the coming day.
>>
File: 1611574623266.png (510 KB, 1278x1181)
510 KB
510 KB PNG
Is it weird to anyone else that we've gone from 'these are the rules, this is how the game is played' to 'do whatever you want and ask your DM'?
>>
>>79015606
>would it be better
You're giving up 2/short rest extra attack or disengage/dash/dodge, and 10 feet of movement, to have a d8 instead of d4 on your unarmed strike. Also you get 2 more health assuming your fighter level is first and a small health. So it's a sidegrade.
>>
>the virgin hexsorcadin freakshow
>the chad eldritch knight whose GM lets him use CHA instead of INT
>>
>>79015068
>Spiritual Weapon Wizard
based
>>
>>79015653
No one's forcing you to play a different way, anon. some people prefer to use the rules as loose guidelines, some people prefer to run a more mechanically focussed game. Neither way is wrong my friend.
>>
>>79015653
Because we realized the rules are, by and large, shit? 5e doesn't do anything better RAW than any other system, so it makes sense to use superior rules when the issue comes up
>>
>>79015653
No, it's the natural swing backwards from 3.5e where everything was codified and expressed in set rules, where 4e was an uncomfortable midpoint. Rules-light editions are easy for new players to learn and intermediate players to master, and is part of what made 5e so popular.

As 5e gets more and more splatbooks and rules, the pendulum is already swinging the other way; WoTC just wants to both have its crunch cake and eat it by setting them as "optional" rules so that DMs can disregard them if they want.
>>
>>79015562
When an intelligence caster levels up, they are learning more magic. When a charisma caster levels up, they are discovering more inner power. What is a wisdom caster doing when they level up?
>>
>>79015840
Better understanding their god's will / the flow of nature and learning to better tap into it. Strengthening the rudder, replacing the sails, streamlining the hull.
>>
>>79015877
So wisdom as a spellcasting stat is about conforming?
>>
>>79015683
So now it can be a Sorcahexadin Knight? Oh yeah, nice fix.
>>
>>79015840
Further eroding the barrier between the self and the universe.
>>
>>79015898
Yes, but you can also phrase it as being empathy understanding, and achieveing oneness. But the PHB makes that very clear from the start:
>Clerics are intermediaries between the mortal world and the distant planes of the gods. As varied as the gods they serve, clerics strive to embody the handiwork of their deities...the ability to cast cleric spells relies on devotion and an intuitive sense of a deity's wishes.
>Druids revere nature above all, gaining their spells and other magical powers either from the force of nature itself or from a nature deity. Many druids pursue a mystic spirituality of transcendent union with nature rather than devotion to a divine entity, while others serve gods of wild nature, animals, or elemental forces.
>>
>>79015908
For what fucking purpose? Weapon Bond?
>>
Can a druid worship a god unrelated to nature on the side?
>>
>>79013564
>Male Druid who lusts for the Futa
>Female Wizard who lusts for the Femboy
>Futa Barbarian who lusts for the Male
>Femboy Artificier who lusts for the Female

Just as god intended.
>>
>>79016001
Can literally anyone worship literally anything?
>>
>Barbarian 5/Rogue 5
>Bard 5/Warlock 5
>Cleric 5/Ranger 5
>Druid 5/Monk 5
>Fighter 5/Wizard 5
>Paladin 5/Sorcerer 5

Choose your 10th level hybrid character, a PHB race that is not the Vuman, and an application of the point buy system.
>>
>>79015967
For what purpose does changing EK to CHA serve?
>>
File: 1519622132923.jpg (59 KB, 541x379)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>79015898
Wisdom is Understanding and Conformance, Empathy and Obedience. It's Divinity, recognition that there are higher powers and understanding their intentions, for good or for evil.

Charisma is Self-Assertion and Domination, Self-control and Coercion. It's Humanity, recognition of the triumph of the will and each person's ability to impose your will upon the world, for good or for evil.

Intelligence is the understanding of fundamental laws and how to break them, how to use them or exploit them. It's Knowledge, the recognition that the world on consistent, logical principles that can be used, for good for for evil.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>79016115
being cool instead of smart
>>
>>79016113
>Fighter 5, Wizard 5
>high elf
>Base stats:8,16,15,16,8,8
>Level 4 ASI: resilient CON
>Level 4 ASI: warcaster or DEX+2
>Subclasses: Battlemaster and Divination
>Final stats: 8,16(18),16,16,8,8
>>
>>79016113
Mountain Dwarf Barbarogue
15/14/15/8/10/8 point buy
17/14/17/8/10/8 after racials
20/14/18/8/10/8 after ASIs
Thief/Berserker
>>
>>79016113
Sorcerer 5/Hexblade 5. Half elf, 14 DEX, 14 or 16 CON before racials. I made an NPC (more like a DMPC) once for a 1-on-1 session with a player where they engaged in friendly sparring, and it was great. I wonder whether it's fun enough to be worth missing out on all the good higher level spells it in a regular game.

>3rd level spells both warlock and sorcerer
>blade pact, eldritch smite, improved pact weapon, thirsting blade, naked EB as ranged support
>hexblade with 2 third level short rest slots
Likely very suboptimal, but I think it might just be worth it.
>>
>>79016349
Not an alternative on the list
>>
Why haven’t you taken the gnome barbarian pill yet?
>>
Bladesinger vs battle smith with a gun, which will be the most fun?
>>
>>79016488
A gay wizard vs robot inventor with a rifle. It's not a contest at all, put the bladesinger where it belongs. In the trash.
>>
>>79016488
The one that can do more than fight good.
>>
>>79011267
Sounds wonderful anon. They do that for me too but my pessimism always makes me second-guess how much they mean it.
>>
>>79016530
>>79016526
agreed, battlesmith is based
>>
>>79016113
>Druid 5/Monk 5
Wood Elf, Kensei Monk 5 Shepherd Druid 5
12 str, 15(+2) dex, 14 con, 8 int 13(+1) wis, 10 cha at level 1
Elven Accuracy (Dex) and Sharpshooter for:
12 str, 18 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 14 wis, 10 cha
16 AC, 73 HP
Conjure Animals and Hawk Spirit to abuse Elven Accuracy + Sharpshooter at first, switch to Faerie Fire once out of level 3 spell slots. Use bonus attacks solely for Focused Aim on misses to get extra attack via ki-fueled strike.
>>
What sort of abilities do people think an "Oathbreaker" Druid archetype should have?
>>
>>79016598
Cleric levels with out the deity stuff and spells.
>>
>>79016598
What oath is exactly being broken?
>>
>>79016598
if you don't have your own idea why are you making it? seriously the fuck is wrong with people.

obviously they'd have all metal based powers, heat metal, proficiency with metal armor wildshape into monstrosities not beasts, but those are all MY ideas, remember they're not yours when you steal them
>>
Why do we never talk about prestige classes? I think they were an excellent idea and I was really disappointed in the way rune scribe turned out
>>
>>79016657
because we cannot have nice things
>>
>>79016657
Response was probably so resounding that WoTC basically pretended they never released it.
>>
>>79016598
Have you ever watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man?
That is your powerset
>>
>>79016627
Honestly that's a good question. Looking at the Oathbreaker Paladin it manages to be reasonably generic in the "grr, broke my oath and sold my soul to the dark forces", but short of doing the same with an "oathbreaker" druid you'd pretty much need to make one for each archetype, and at that point you can just be lazy and have them use their regular druid abilities to upset the balance rather then get new abilities.

>>79016613
Ouch, but then again I guess oathbreakers don't always deserve to get benefits from it, so reasonable.
>>
>>79016688
>>79016688
>Honestly that's a good question.
Honestly you didn't even consider this? Again, why the fuck are you making some thing you have zero fucking ideas for?
>>
>>79016641
Honestly I have my own idea on it, just wanted to hear others. For me an "oathbreaker" druid is just one who upsets the balance of nature one way or another, so you can use any archetype and just dial it to 11 on focusing, wildfire druids wanting to set everything ablaze, spore druids wanting everything to decay, circle druids wanting to terraform the world into a single biome (...ok, some work better then others).

>>79016681
Going full metal is a pretty cool idea though.
>>
>>79016668
I mean we talk (read:bitch) about everything else but nobody ever brings up prestige classes, even for homebrew. Why is that?

>>79016677
A resounding what?
>>
>>79016738
Resounding in its negativity.
>>
>>79016598
Kind of a weird angle to go for.
I guess if 'normal druids' are about nature and protecting the balance, an antidruid would be about manipulating and mutating nature or outright destroying it.

I'm thinking some kind of bio-caster which can grow monster parts or adopt their traits for a time (possibly even permanently at higher levels.) This could be a substitute feature for Wild Shape.
>>
>>79016738
I'll bring up some homebrew prestige classes if you really want, just never saw the need.
>>
How do you, as a DM, make combat go faster?
>>
feel free to call me a normie fag but i recently finished botw, what'd be the best fit for that kind of character? more about the feel/ aesthetic, the traveler/ adventuring part, rather than link abilities or fighting style or whatever
just rangerogue?
>>
>>79016752
So going for more of a Simic angle (pardon my MtG comparison). That's... actually pretty cool.
I've got a villain in my campaign who is all about making his own new haxx species, never thought about giving him a druidic flavor but I might now.

>>79016761
Bump up damage numbers and lower hp of some monsters, also pre-roll my attacks and damage while I wait for the players to do stuff so my turn goes by pretty fast.
>>
is armorer bad?
>>
>>79016855
battlesmith > armorer > artillerist
>>
>>79016530
But they both have plenty of out of combat utility, so which one?
>>
>>79016794
Honestly ranger/rogue is probably the way to go. Specifically go thief for the rogue to get that climb speed (unless you got a race for that anyway).
>>
>>79016754
Im interested anon
>>
>>79016863
what makes battle smith so good?
>>
File: the fuck.png (286 KB, 709x633)
286 KB
286 KB PNG
>"Elves finish their long rest in only 4 hours"
>"Except no, they don't"

Which one is it?
>>
>>79016926
good armor, int attacks, good pet
makes best use of ss(and cbe if you must) among arties and still uses a shield
relies least on their spells
>>
>>79016948
they have to meditate for 4 hours and fuck around for another 4
>>
>>79016863
>>79016855
Regardless of all arguments that may be presented, I prefer armourer to battlesmith. Having special armour and extra infusions is so much more enticing to me than a pet. Never been one for pets or followers in D&D, though some people enjoy that sort of thing.
>>
>>79016948
Trust Crawford.
>>
>>79016973
That's what I thought too, but
>"If an elf meditates during a long rest, the elf finishes the rest after only 4 horus."
>>
>>79016973
4 hours. The errata says it clearly. Crawford's tweet can go in the trash for all I care.
>>
>>79016169
The charisma classes in 5e are the opposite of cool
>>
>>79017018
t. wizard who got ignored or bullied at magic school while the CHAds were slaying it
>>
>>79016972
so its not great at melee?
>>
>>79011543
>Gnome Artificer
>Half Orc Barbarian
>Halfling Bard
>Dwarf Cleric
>Firbolg Druid
>Hobgoblin Fighter
>Tortle Monk
>Human Paladin
>Centaur Ranger
>Goblin Rogue
>Dragonborn Sorcerer
>Tiefling Warlock
>Elf Wizard
>>
>>79011111
Just a friendly reminder that you can play what you want, but there are better systems than 5e out there.
>>
>>79015068
The level 6 feature might be a little strong. I also think you need to give them an unarmed damage dice or it's technically just "1+their strength modifier" at worst or a d4 at best.
>>
>>79016488
If rolling definitely go Bladsinger.
>>
>>79017179
Better systems for what specifically? Of course different systems handle different aspects of a game better or worse, but saying that one system is flatly better than another is like saying a car is better than a truck
>>
>>79017179
i wanna try pf 2e but no one wants to learn it with me
>>
>>79017171
it is, you grab enhanced weapon instead of repeating shot, you can even also go for returning weapon to be a thrower
battlesmith is very versatile
>>
Would it be unfair to have my players encounter an item that isn't technically cursed when they find it, but will become cursed if they take it and use it a certain number of times? If they suspect a curse and get it tested, should it technically be detected since it's on the item but just not active yet?
>>
>>79017369
No, yes.
>>
>>79014877
>flying creature flies up and knocks them prone, or ranger ability that knocks things prone. Warlock takes max fall damage.
>>
>>79016910
You'll regret it, they're far more made for the campaign and players in mind then something that can be used generically.

But sure, here is the "Undying" prestige class I have used in a campaign (not to be confused with the Undying Warlock... Most people forget that archetype exists anyway right?)

>Prerequisites:
>CON 16, to take this path is to endure all that is thrown at you, survival is paramount.
>Character Level 5, to begin this journey one must already have shown themselves capable of surviving hardship.
>Survive the Trial of the Undying, a task that varies from person to person, it is tailor made to push you to the brink of death, and for many beyond.

Hit Dice: 1d12
Proficiencies Gained: Survival, CON (or Charisma if you already have).

>Undying Spirit: At 1st level, your body begins to adapt to the harsh conditions it finds itself in. Your food and water requirements are halved, and you can hold your breath for ten times your current amount. You also no longer suffer penalties from harsh weather. At 3rd level, you no longer need to eat, drink, or breath, and suffer no ill effects from vacuum.

Unbreaking Body: At 1st level, whenever you take damage, reduce the damage taken by one. Also, keep a tally of how much damage you have taken since starting this prestige class, when the total reaches 1000, increase how much the damage is reduced by 1 and reset the tally, up to a total of your CON modifier + your level in this class.

>Unwavering Sight: At second level, you gain blindsight up to 10ft and ki sense up to 100ft (you sense the ki in living things, however those below CR4 or Character Level 4 appear more or less the same to you, sparks). As an action, you may remove your eyes, gaining a further reduction to damage taken by 1, that stacks with Unbreaking Body.

Just the first two levels, but I'm sure that's enough to show you how retarded it would be to use it in most campaigns, unbreaking body alone is begging to be abused.
>>
What would a D&D world with no PCs look like?
>>
>>79017369
Conditional curses are great, I would also add some sort of indication that the requirements are being met. Think how the fingers on the Monkeys paw curl, things of that nature to alert the party that something is going on
>>
>>79017237
I'd learn it with you anon, but y'know, time zones and free time.
>>
>>79017417
Would have ended a dozen times over I guess, considering how some campaigns would end if they players don't get involved.
>>
>>79017444
i appreciate the sentiment anon, have a good day
>>
>>79017423
Basically, the item is a weapon. Very powerful for their current level, and it will gain even more power as they kill with it. But secretly, it will also become more and more cursed, and start to cause problematic side effects. It's supposed to be created by a demon that's trying to tempt and corrupt that particular party member. I want it to accurately simulate what it's like to risk losing yourself by abusing power, but to do that it seems like the curse must remain secret because otherwise they'll just be like "Nope, this cool item is obviously a trap, not even gonna bother".
>>
>>79017508
You too, and good luck finding some peeps.
>>
>>79017417
Depends which world. Faerun would be fine as it is already full of godlike NPCs who could fix any problem on their own. Eberron would get fucked.
>>
>>79017534
As the weapon grows in power describe it inflicting fucked up wounds to the things it hits. Let's say there are 3 "levels" to it's corruption
>Level 1
Blood that gets on the blade turns black, water become fetid, milk curdles, etc
>Level 2
Wounds dealt by the blade become infected almost immediately infected and gangrenous
>Level 3
Flies and other vermin are drawn to the blade at an alarming rate. Maggots and other filth spills out of wounds caused by it and divine/holy/good magics are less effective in it's presence
>>
>>79017576
>eberron would get fucked
hasn't been fucked yet
also, does anyone else houserule remove the Lords of Dust and Draconic Prophecy from Eberron? Makes a much better setting that way, when all the grittiness is due to understandable problems instead of immortal edgelords manipulating everything behind the scenes.
>>
>>79017627
not "remove", but they should certainly in the background. non-dragonmarks or scholars barely know what it's about and even fewer actually believe it. where it is true should, like most things in eberron, depend on the campaign.
>>
File: stud.png (1.65 MB, 1018x1317)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
Okay second try.
Ignoring the class itself, are these spells good?

Like imagine your DM gave you (tool) that you could cast the associated spells from once per long rest, would you feel like that was neat?
But like cantrips were still unlimited cast.
>>
>>79017587
I was already thinking that as it becomes more cursed, it will start trying to force them to become more violent. It might start with just being more violent to enemies, like if they try to use subdue damage on an enemy to knock them out, the weapon forces them to do lethal damage instead. If they let it get worse, it might start causing them to kill small animals or other helpless things. And finally it could even make them attack allies.
>>
>>79016657
Because the only thing that would probably be better off being prestige classes is supernatural "races" like vampires, werewolves, undead, etc.

And wotc seems perfectly content packaging those in very samey and limited subclasses instead of allowing, say, a rogue werewolf. Because evryone who'd want to play a werewolf will obviously want to be a barbarian unable to even changeshape. And who'd want to be a vampre fighter when they could just be a warlock with undead patron?
>>
>>79017675
brb playing this as tasha mountain dwarf to have this entire spell list
>>
>>79017704
I would shy away from any mechanic that takes away control from the players. That's not fun.
>>
>>79017704
check out weapons like blackrazor and craven edge, might bring some inspiration
>>
>>79017714
Well it would be based on some kind of saving throw. Unless perhaps they let the curse progress to maximum level without taking any steps to even try countering it.

If I believed in forcing my players to do things then I would have just forced the player to take and use the weapon in the first place, defeating the purpose of my original question of how to trick them.
>>
>>79017710
>werewolf prestige class
Gaining permanent immunity to nonsilvered normie weapons should need at least like 5 levels, thankfully it fits with the "if your will is/you're strong enough you can control it" narrative.
>>
>>79017728
I know of Blackrazor but craven edge sounds like some homebrew shit.
>>
>>79017710
I hate that what you say makes sense. I dislike supernatural races like vampires/werewolf because I feel like it attracts a certain brand of faggotry, but that's just me.
WORC stifling the creativity and customization of players and PCs is fucking gay tho. Say what you will about 3.pf and trap options at least you HAD options. 5e is so fucking bare bones that I forget there are over 40 subclasses.
>>
>>79017675
Look alright to me, some are better then others but nothing too crazy.
>>
>>79017762
It's technically not homebrew since it's in Matt Mercers Wildemount setting, which is official
>>
>>79017775
I don't think it's in EGtM, but it's a neat weapon nonetheless
>>
>>79017712
I hate you.

>>79017765
Which ones would you say are the outliers?
I really did try to balance them as best I could.
Thieves tools having thematic, but generally useless spells, for instance.
>>
>Usually run 'theatre of the mind' style games with no problem where at most my maps are just using whatever drawing tools exist in the program to draw out things when needed, mostly in fights/dungeons for walls, and so on
>suddenly after like 6 months of the players enjoying that style with no problem they start asking for me to use 'battle maps' and proper maps for my dungeons.
fug, I guess they played with a different DM who spoiled them with those things, and now I actually have to do prep work for my sessions instead just like a paragraph of bullet point notes I usually do
>>
>>79017874
Is it a paid game?

If not tell them that shit costs actual money and if they want it they'll have to foot at least part of the bill.
>>
>>79017905
I don't know what any other games they play in, but mine is just one I have been running for a group of acquaintances from a discord Server I am in.
>>
Now that local gatherings are coming back my friend is starting a new campaign and I have no idea what to play. So fa/tg/uys - what should I play?
>>
>>79017905
>can find a bunch of free maps/mapmaking resources easily if you actually bother to try
>failing that, at the absolute worst it costs like $5 a month to get an Inkarnate subscription
>begs each player for a dollar and some change every session to pay for the above
how is it possible to be so jewish?
>>
>>79017964
You should play Dragonborn bear barbarian
>At 3rd level, when you adopt this path, you choose a totem spirit and gain its feature. You must make or acquire a physical totem object—an amulet or similar adornment—that incorporates fur or feathers, claws, teeth, or bones of the totem animal. At your option, you also gain minor physical attributes that are reminiscent of your totem spirit. For example, if you have a bear totem spirit, you might be unusually hairy and thick-skinned, or if your totem is the eagle, your eyes turn bright yellow.
>For example, if you have a bear totem spirit, you might be unusually hairy and thick-skinned
>>
>>79017804
I think Glassblowers Tools is probably on the lower end of the balance between them, then you got ones like the poisoner's kit. Sleep is great early on but you'll regret it later.
Honestly though take that as purely white-room, obviously haven't tried them out in practice. so if you've given them a go you'd know more then me.
>>
>>79017964
Ignore the furry scalie, what is the setting?
>>
>>79017874
This is like Mango fuckin' Snapple all over
>>
>>79017969
Found anon's player.
>>
>>79017964
>what should I play as
Any small sized race with any class that learns the mage hand cantrip and the enlarge/reduce spell.

>cast reduce on yourself to reduce your weight to 1/8th
>fly around on your own mage hand
>>
>>79017984
A hairy dragonborn does sound like a lot of fun.
>>
>>79018003
what?
>>
>>79017964
play a tricky foreigner with a silver tongue who wields a scimitar (or two)
>>
>>79017997
He's running Descent to Avernus (which I have actually never played).
>>
>>79017775
Sounds like homebrew to me.
>>
>>79017969
Ask me how I know you're a nigger living off welfare
>>
My player doesn't feel like the level 10 Beast Barbarian feature fits his character and wanted me to come up with something. I noticed it lines up nicely with Paladin's anti-fear Aura, so I came up with a less selfish tweak of the level 14 feature, moved it back to 10, and gave 14 a multiattack that only works with the natural weapons.
Is it bad, broken, or okay?
>pic related, before/after
>>
>>79018041
says the guy who can't pay 5 bucks for some map making software
>>
File: nigger.png (30 KB, 822x544)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>79018079
>>
File: killme.jpg (59 KB, 500x332)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>game has been going on for 8 months
>lots of plot threads coming together
>the players have the ability to free or permanently imprison a god
>tensions between major powers about to boil over
>overall lots of exciting shit
>wake up one morning
>I hate it all and don't want to DM the game anymore
>>
>>79017969
I'm starting to get those messages on roll20 saying I've uploaded too much shit and should pay for premium.
>>
>>79018098
gonna start shaking the cup at your players now, shekelberg?
>>
>>79018033
Well unless your DM tones things down you're going to want something functional right off the bat, so don't come up with any overly creative multiclasses for now. The first part takes place in Baldur's Gate, so consider something that would fit in the city. Do you at least know whether you want to play a spellcaster or a martial?
>>
>>79018075
It looks good.

Personally I would keep the 14th feature where it was and create a scaling 10th level feature based off your own multiattack idea.
Something like getting two form benefits, then three at a later level, etc.
>>
>>79018118
the fuck? is that really a thing? i was unaware since i've only been using roll20 to DM for my campaign for like 100-ish hours now
that's really fucking gay if that's the case
>>
>>79018135
I'm not sure - I know that's unhelpful. I'm usually the forever DM but my buddy wants to give it a shot. I've been looking at Warlock a lot just because I like the flavor or maybe a druid.
>>
>>79018118
When I used to use roll20 I used the extension that lets you use images from a URL - post the image in discord, use the direct link, ignore the frankly shit roll20 sub options when they do very little work to improve the tool.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d69)

Did I hear there was an ERP server somewhere?
>>
Did Guide to Ravenloft get leaked, or do we know enough about it to just not care?
>>
>>79018153
Don't get me wrong, they give you a reasonable amount and I managed to get through a whole campaign without noticing myself, it is on my second that the issue is cropping up. For the moment I've just been deleting old images I no longer need.

>>79018170
Huh, interesting, I might give that a shot.
>>
>>79018158
Warlock can be good, though you should talk to your DM if you plan to play a fiendlock because it will almost certainly have an impact on the story.
Like CoS, good Paladin and Clerics are basically a shoo-in for this campaign if you want to be a good guy, and if you were a refugee from Elturel you would have a good reason to be involved in the adventure.
Does the rest of your group know what they're playing?

On another note, I wish they'd add campaign-unique spell lists for certain subclasses. Like land druids should get a Hell or Urban spell list for Avernus.
>>
File: 1501093503219.png (176 KB, 1000x695)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
>>79018209
The book releases two weeks from now, leaks usually come from bookstores totally-accidentally putting out or sending out their received stock too early, which is usually at most half a week before the actual release date.
Looking forwards to the RaVeNLofT PdF??? posts for that entire week.
>>
Question for the people who know this shit: is there anything mechanically useful in Candlekeep Mysteries, or is it just more lame WotC official adventures? I heard something bout it reintroducing Grippli (frog-folk) as a PC race?
>>
I know rules are pretty clear on this, but storywise are barbarians incapable of using artificer stuff while raging? Was it different in other editions where spellcasting and inventions were more distinguished?
>>
>>79018027
All a nigga wants is all a nigga knows. And a nigga that don't know much don't want much.

I don't have the video saved
>>
File: 1565672626135.jpg (567 KB, 1050x1050)
567 KB
567 KB JPG
Rolled 17, 3, 20, 14, 9, 8 = 71 (6d20)

Rolling for stats on female human paladin.
>>
>>79018036
>Things WOTC officially publishes are homebrew
The PHB is homebrew
>>
>>79018251
So far the party is:

-Halfling Rogue (going Arcane Trickster)
-Human Monk (I think Drunken Master)
-2 undecided players (me and one other).
>>
>>79018302
Good luck anon, you get to use the new combat wheelchair!
>>
>>79018295
Artificers can use the spell storing item and the Alchemist's potions while raging, if that is your question.
>>
>>79018335
>>
>>79018209
>No new classes
>No new spells
>Races we've already seen
>No new feat
>nothing interesting
>Lots of retcons
All were getting is some monster stablocks you could make yourself in an afternoon, I'm not holding my breath for it
>>
>>79018148
Oh! Sort of like cantrips, or the features where it says "you get an additional/this increases to at #th-level"? I like it.
>>
>>79018324
Sounds like you could do with something tanky and/or healy. Paladin is the natural fit for that, but Cleric and Druid would both work with that. I'd honestly suggest the two full casters, since with two lightly armored d8s you might need to buff them up quite a bit.

Alternately, a frontline class or one that can draw aggro like ancestral guardian barb or cavalier fighter could help as a frontliner.
A party face might be fun, but I imagine as a DM you might not want to take the lead too much.
>>
>>79018295
Still weren't capable of using artificer stuff in 3.5 at the very least, their stuff still required concentration.
>>
is Soulknife Rogue any good?
>>
Rolled 9, 9, 16, 8, 3, 10 = 55 (6d20)

>>79018355
Lemme show you how it's done
Rolling for my future wife's stats
>>
>>79018392
My friend is OK with Circle of Spores druid which I find really interesting but I think maybe Circle of Stars fits better for the group. The other undecided is leaning heavily towards paladin or barbarian right now so druid or cleric is probably a better option.
>>
>>79018418
Plain and blind but can take a lot of damage? That's not a wife, that's an onahole.
>>
>players have to stop a cult of a great old one from using a special city nuke spell scroll which binds the souls killed by it to a specific location, the great old one's belly in this case
>warlock player asks me out of game if she can use that scroll to feed her demon patron instead, assuming they stop it beforehand
She says she doesn't mind if she's denied because she "wouldn't want to be that guy"
The party is mostly just a bunch of neutral mercs aside from the evil warlock whom they tolerate because she's friendly with them, although i don't know how the players would react and I'm unsure if i should just tell them and ask if they're okay with it beforehand to stop any potential "pc betrays the party" drama, even if this will probably be the end of the campaign.
>>
>read rpg horror stories
>99% of the time the "bad guy" they're complaining about is totally in the right
CRITICAL. FAILS. DO. NOT. EXIST. IN. 5E
>>
>>79018336
Kinda, i actually meant artificer "inventions" which encompass "spells" because wotc couldn't be arsed to make an actual gadget ruleset so they just tell you to reflavor spells as machinery and stuff
>>
>>79018435
wow, thanks for making me diamonds
>>
>>79018438
Tell her that her character can attempt to do so, but as a player she shouldn't expect to succeed.
>>
File: 1542932078056.jpg (28 KB, 668x673)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>79018425
>small race cleric or druid mounted on the shoulders of the paladin or barbarian respectively
>>
>>79018499
I once ran a game where one of the PCs was a mermaid - she was often carried around by the Paladin or the Barbarian.
>>
So what do I do if no one I know wants to play?
Seems my only option is Roll20 or start going to a LGS hosting beginner campaigns on Thursdays to get a feel for the game and/or play on their weekly campaigns on Wednesdays.
The former is free but seems less fun without face-to-face interactions while the latter is going to cost anywhere between $15 per weekly session to $90 per month.
>>
>>79018438
I'd let her try to get the scroll. If she comes up with it you can narrate her own story after the campaign.

Basically short of them destroying the scroll (possible?) she doesn't have to get it immediately or anything, correct? so as long as she doesn't start stabbing PCs the second one of them picks it up it should be fine and not that guy at all.
>>
>>79018322
Craven Edge does not appear in Mercer's book. Therefore it is homebrew. Simple as.
>>
>>79018543
Find a different hobby because D&D with people you don't like it worse than no D&D at all.
>>
>>79018411
Is good, yeah. Easy access to a second attack to better prop their SA, their psionic dice help you skill monkey even harder and barely know the concept of failing (and if you DO fail, you don't even lose the die, which is nice). Whispers is an excuse to make your team act all elite and adapt your plans, and none of their abilities are really "useless". major downside is the way the psychic blades work make proccing SA off AoOs a pain in the ass, and of course it sucks when you fight enemies immune/resistant to psychic damage. But they do have some nice perks as well.
>>
>>79018543
>So what do I do if no one I know wants to play?
make new friends. look at meetup.com, look at craigslist, put a note up at FLGs. join a boardgame group. god forbid offer to DM and you'll have 50 responses before you can delete the post
>>
>>79018499
Actually I really like tying a Circle of Stars druid to the barbarian - would be helpful to the DM too I think. I'm going to reach out to the other undecided and see if I can convince him that barbarian is the right choice.
>>
>>79018443
Example?
>>
>>79018580
I'm listening to this critcrab video in the background and they're talking about some guy who "crit failed and poisoned himself" and apparently this guy is the bad guy for bitching about it
>>
>>79011756
>>79011908
This actually is very helpful. I don't usually play casters and I've never played a dedicated wizard.
>>
>>79018547
All the player's characters are mostly interested in stopping everyone from growing mouth proboscises and going insane after far realm big daddy gets a grip on the material plane. Also the bard managed to extort some powerful nobles that wronged them before into doubling their pay because he's a petty ass.

They did talk about what to do with the scroll if it's intact and mostly agreed to not destroy it unless they can't find a way to keep it hidden, mostly because the wizard got pissy at "destroying such culturally rich texts from the far realm".

So on that front I'm not really worried about her plan unless she antagonizes the party or something.

The only thing I'm unsure of what to do with is her patrons reaction in case she does succeed because they've been in a wild psionic energy zone and cut off from all communication spells for about a week so this'll be a surprise.
>>
>>79018649
>I'm unsure of what to do with is her patrons reaction in case she does succeed
make it an epilogue thing. basically she can't point it at her patron's stomach without some work and assistance from her patron. if she reads it off now it just feeds the patron it's already pointing to. so her "victory condition" is control of the scroll, having it in her inventory by the end of the campaign.
>>
>>79018611
>listening to this critcrab video
See, there is your first mistake.
>>
>>79018392
>>79018499
Alright friends - worked it out with the other player. We're going to play me as a Ghostwise Circle of the Stars Druid and him as a Goliath Ancestral Guardian Barbarian. Thanks for your help!
>>
>>79018564
Meetup.com is where I found out about one LGS running campaigns the others seem to have postponed all of their events for the time being due to "you-know-what".
I'm not sure I'm fit to DM either, I've never even played. All I've done is read the books over and over and try fruitlessly since 4th edition to get friends interested.
Maybe I should just give up, at least until I move and meet some new people who might be interested.
>>
Dao Genie Warlock 3/Valor Bard X. Sounds like a decent gish build?
>>
>>79018718
**Ghostwise Halfling
>>
>>79018686
Everything seems in order, thanks for helping me think it through. I'll tell her she can try if they manage to stop it early, but to refrain from starting pvp to get the scroll unless someone goes back on the promise to not destroy it.
>>
Rolled 2, 4, 5, 20, 19, 13 = 63 (6d20)

>>79018418
Amateur hour over here
Observe a true waifu
Her class is Life Cleric
>>
>>79018841
This bitch sucking dick with her mind
>>
>>79018841
Oh hey it's Steven Hawkings
>>
>>79018841
wheelchair waifu.
>>
File: 1610586900305.jpg (1.2 MB, 2560x1440)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
Rolled 6, 4, 1, 3, 16, 9 = 39 (6d20)

Who knows what class she'll be she just loves to gamble.
>>
>>79018875
she's gambling her life every time she tries to move her arms.
>>
>>79018875
>On deaths door
>Retarded
>Physically crippled
>Ugly
Just toss the bitch anon
>>
>>79018901
Surely her moderately decent wisdom will help me identify good gambling bets at least...
>>
>>79018928
In the same way that Paul the Octopus did, yes.
>>
>>79018928
She's wise enough to know that life is going to be shit and she should off herself.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d6)

>>79019027
She would never just kill herself, she'd play russian roulette.

Go ahead, challenge her. She'll even go first. The gun fires on a 1.
>>
>>79019051
Oops.
>>
File: 1568536092313.jpg (210 KB, 1280x720)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>79019051
This was not poor Jabemis night.
>>
So what kinds of horses do you prefer for your mounts, /5eg/?
>>
File: 1581103395001.jpg (28 KB, 500x304)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>79019051
>>
File: file.png (247 KB, 439x250)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>>79019178
I'm a fan of using tiny ponies in comparison to huge riders
>>
>>79019051
welp, there she goes
>>
>>79019178
Friesian if female. Dutch Draft Horse if male
>>
>>79019248
>Friesian
You are a man of quality.
>>
File: 483.jpg (35 KB, 680x453)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>79019051
What's it like to kill your own waifu, anon?
>>
>>79019356
Why are you blaming anon? It was a suicide, everyone saw it.
>>
>>79019178
If they don't glow like an mmo mount I ain't riding it
>>
>>79019469
>>79019469
>>79019469

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.