[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Greetings, Mecha Monday! Here, we dedicate ourselves to mecha RPGs, war games, and board games alike. Here, we start games, tell campaign stories, share resources & assets, and seek advice for our games and homebrew.

Assorted Mecha Goodness:
https://pastebin.com/E2wi55AZ

Previous Thread: >>78870456

I wanted to start this thread early because I had a question. If I wanted the players to design their own mechs to use on a typical dry-erase battlemat, what would I tell them to use (assuming I cover any necessary costs). Would legos work?
>>
Why isn't the Lancer thread merged with this one again?
>>
>>78973639
>Would legos work?
Yes? Though they might not fit perfectly onto 1-inch squares/hexes. You can also make simple paper standees by printing out mech images. Check out Retrograde Minis for a bunch of mix-and-match mecha tokens, or similar sites.
>>
>>78973852
/pol/itics
>>
>>78973852
The anti-Russian sentiment that is written deeply into the setting draws in trolls.
>>
>>78973852
Lancer draws too many autists

Also lancer is popular enough to sustain its own general. When it is in this one it drowns out evey other game

>>78973639
Legos would be the easiest to actually work with but are really expensive.
>>
>>78974642
Don´t use Lego then. The market has plenty of products that cost half as much with the same quality.

I mean unless you´re living somewhere where Lego has blocked imports by having its laywers inform their friends in government that they propose that there´s some IP infringement happening, though they naturally strongly refuse to clarify the nature of it.
>>
>>78975300
I only know of guides for mecha building with lego, although I'm not that well read on the subject. Do off brands have as much documentation?
>>
>>78975376
Lego has lost pattern protection on the majority of its parts, so it shouldn´t be too much of an issue finding another company making them these days.
>>
>>78975739
I feel like you just want to talk about patents more than how to actually go about finding build guides for other brands
>>
File: MSERA-095.jpg (2.33 MB, 2184x1478)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>78973639
Figured this would be a good place as any to ask, are there any WW2 based RPGs featuring adventure modules of some kind? I've been itching to run a Zeon based game that takes place mostly planetside and I think adapting a pre-existing adventure would be a good place to start.
>>
Bump
>>
In Battle Century G, can boss capstone abilities be used on bosses lower than level 5?
>>
File: unknown.png (23 KB, 446x129)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
I'm running a Battle Century G game soon, and I just met one of my players for the first time on Discord. I think I made a good first impression on him.
>>
File: unknown (1).png (40 KB, 300x490)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>78981782
A *very* good first impression
>>
>>78973852
because it used to shit up this thread entirely thanks to polfags who feel the need to furiously post novels about why they'll never have sex

you're welcome
>>
>>78973639
Legos are pretty good, there is even a simple game of mechs based on that.
>>
>>78973639
I need an idea to separate assault rifles, machine guns and mini guns. D100 system where you roll a number of d100 based on skill level. Every number over the target is a hit. First hit is base damage, every subsequent is hit is called Precision and adds more damage.

I’m thinking assault rifles have a burst fire which does base damage x 3 or something for the first three hits instead of base + 2 precision. Machine gun and mini gun I want to add like Sustained Fire or High Rate of Fire or Full Auto and it adds a set number of “hits” so long as you score at least one. Suggesting a massive barrage of bullets. Lower precision damage but more change of hitting at least some damage overall.

Any other ideas?
>>
File: 11685708_p0_master1200.jpg (474 KB, 858x1200)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
Post a Video game/anime than would make a good RPG game/setting.
>>
>>78982939
You could steal the system classic traveller uses. Auto fire uses four rounds, gives you better to-hit numbers, and you roll to hit twice. High tech weapons have "very rapid fire," which has the same to hit bonus as auto fire, uses 10 rounds, and rolls to hit three times. There aren't rules for burst fire as opposed to auto fire, but it seems reasonable to me to give burst fire the to hit bonus of auto fire without the additional roll to hit. In your system assault rifles would be burst fire, MGs would be auto fire, and miniguns would be very rapid fire. It might take some finessing to make that fit with your damage system though, since you seem to want to resolve a full attack with one roll.
>>
hello, newfag here. big fan of gundam. what's a good system for a gundam campaign?
>>
>>78982939
Is rolling multiple d100s practicle? Ive always used 2d10 for d100 rolls but that would make it tedious
>>
>>78986191
Battle century or beam saber I would wager.
>>
File: Mechasys [v1.1].pdf (2.7 MB, PDF)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB PDF
>>78973639
Cross-post from /gengen/:

https://cannibalhalflinggaming.com/2021/04/16/mechasys-review-mecha-sized-adventures-in-genesys/
https://www.reddit.com/r/genesysrpg/comments/ms2w8y/mechasys_review_mechasized_adventures_in_genesys/
Cannibal Halfling, the guys who brainstormed their own Genesys mecha hack, review Mechasys, a dedicated mecha hack in the Genesys Foundry. They're pretty happy with it and what it provides to the table, and interviewed the lead dev for insights.
>Central conceit is that mechas have their own 6-characteristic spread, and when making a skill check, use the higher of either the pilot's or mecha's characteristic
>In fact, mechas are built almost the same as PCs, along with the vehicle stats:
>Build Points (BP) = XP; are separate from player XP
>Chassis = Archetype
>Locations (limbs), movement system, weapons = Equipment
>Upgrades = talents, pyramid and all
>"A mecha’s ‘character sheet’ might end up looking a little busy, but actually getting there is intuitive because all of the math is the same – if you can build a Genesys character, you can build a Mechasys mecha. That’s huge, because put plainly, nothing makes an additional subsystem gum up a game system like introducing different math."
>New archetypes, careers, skills and talents for players, featuring the new Mecha Operation (Agility) and splitting Gunnery into Gunnery (Cannons) (Agility) and Gunnery (Missiles) (Intellect)
>On the whole, Mechasys offers some crunch but is much lighter than many alternatives, allowing for "pick a chassis+guns and go" playstyles or more granular choices if you so choose
>Comments mention Mechasys is considerably less crunchy than Lancer
>Supplement planned for the future that expands the armory, including drones and the like
>>
>>78987199
It should be stated that like all Genesys hacks, the Genesys core book is required, as none of this will make sense otherwise.
>>
>>78986191
Mekton.
>>
File: zwerg.jpg (145 KB, 982x964)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>78985106
Steel Lancer Arena International (PS2)
High speed mechs with optical camo that makes them invisible go on semi-ruined urban arenas to fight in semi-gladiatorial matches for glory and profit. Lots of people died before. The mech battles are set up through this VR internet thing called HAVEN, not unlike the Matrix in shadowrun.

Mechs (called SVs, Scoot Vehicles) are not too large, maybe 3-4 piled up cars at their tallest. Even the heavyweight models are quite fast and have a lot of mobility with boosters, jetpacks for hovering jumps, side-to-side dashes etc. They were originally piloted by hand but now they're remote-controlled via HAVEN so people don't die in droves since this is a televised eSport™ now. I should also note that SVs are really fragile and mostly frontally armored -- they take a LOT of damage from behind. A mech with a properly tuned melee weapon will easily kill even the heaviest models with 1-2 attacks from behind. Stealth is important -- opti-camo makes it impossible to lock onto your mech but it can be disrupted with stray fire or blast effects from explosives -- it is worthwhile to have a grenade launcher customized for maximum area of effect, just so you can more easily catch invisible SVs out of position.

I love this game so much god damn
>>
>>78989293
What, not its prequel, Phantom Crash?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-Qez1kIUA
>>
>>78973639
buy lancer
>>
>>78989687
Phantom Crash might be the better game of the two honestly but I feel like the later part of the timeline might be more interesting to play in? Since you can fight worldwide via HAVEN and all.
Also, is MonaLisa the first virtual idol?
>>
>>78989838
Arguable on both counts.
>>
>>78981792
Are you going to make another player pilot his mech while he watches?
>>
>>78986447
Just use a digital dice roller?
>>
>>78973639
Does anyone knows a game that allows you to play the role of the engineer/scientist that can personalize the mech and create special weapons additional to the regulars that any player can get?
>>
>>78991033
Weapon R&D is usually kind of a big deal in mecha settings. Experimental tech is a non-trivial thing.
>>
>>78991020
Or don't purposefully design an obtuse rolling mechanic
>>
>>78991033
RIFTS
>>
>>78991080
UC Gundam is a prime example of this, since you can't toss a rock into the air without it landing on some newly-developed prototype Mobile Suit or experimental weapons system.

What matters more is actually having it make sense. A cornered army in a single, besieged fortress isn't gonna be able to build a super-powerful prototype machine from scratch, or at least in any reasonable timeframe (looking at the Apsalus 3 here, which somehow got cobbled together in less than a month by Zeon Forces that were pretty much surrounded, holed up in a mountain complex, on a small stretch of land in the middle of nowhere). Well, or at least not without a reasonable explanation.
>>
>>78992256
Its one of the thing I dislike about Gundam, an excess of super suits, but oh well, Grunts forever!
>>
>>78994352
The goal is to sell models and you know it.
>>
>>78986191
seconding battle century, beam saber as well.
lancer
>>
>>78994352
it only seems common because all gundam entries revolve around experimental MSs. In reality, most pilots will be using a GM.
>>
File: 1574505837002.jpg (87 KB, 510x710)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>78991033
The Artificer character from Armour Astir has stuff for that, both in terms of short-term "I modified your thrusters for a single overcharged burst... but you may explode" and for long-term "I've developed a new armor coating that should help decrease the threat of the enemy's beam weapons."

>>78994596
I mean, you CAN use Lancer for that, but I wouldn't call it ideal. Unless you are doing Wing or 00, maybe.
>>
>>78994690
And why is that?
>>
>>78987199
>Upgrades = talents, pyramid and all
>pyramid and all
Among all the retarded design decisions in that dumpster fire of a hack, this is easily the worst one.
>>
>>78994819
Can you explain yourself, please?
>>
>>78994851
You’re effectively forced to waste your build points buying random crap just to fill pyramid slots to get access to gear you actually want for your machine. The pyramid is fine for character talents but it’s silly and overly restricting for what is basically buying equipment. You’ve already got different scales of BP costs for different tiers of gear, using the pyramid as a second layer of restriction is just unnecessary.
>>
>>78981782
>>78981792
Good ol fucking gingervitis
>>
>>78994953
So spending 25 BP to get Performance - the mecha equivalent of Dedication (increase a characteristic by 1 outside of chargen) - whenever you want is acceptable?
>>
>>78995018
Sure, you only have so many build points. You could have just upped the BP cost if it was that bad instead of forcing players to toss random crap on their mecha just to get to the parts for the type of machine they envision.
Or, you know, not have done that retarded Mecha ability score bullshit to begin with.
>>
>>78995140
Giving the mechs their own characteristic scores certainly makes it easier to run Brawl or Melee checks, general skills like Perception and Vigilance, and even certain social checks like Coercion or Leadership. Given the nature of Genesys's skill checks, you need a characteristic to perform the check. This is even described in the sidebar in question.
>All mecha have characteristic ratings. They act similar to those of player characters. These ratings represent the mecha’s inherent toughness and strength, responsiveness, onboard computational ability, inner strength and power, and awe-inspiring looks. Mecha interface with their pilots much differently than any other vehicle. In many cases, the mecha’s nature can merge with that of the pilot, allowing their pilots to perform feats of great prowess. In other ways the pilot can express their own expertise and abilities through the mecha, allowing the mecha to perform beyond its inherent capabilities.
The core conceit of the lead dev was that they wanted the mech to be as much of a character as the PC pilot themselves.
>>
>>78995251
But the player already has characteristics, giving Mecha mental characteristics, at the very least, was completely unnecessary, and the “use the higher of the two” thing just opens the door for all kinds of minmaxing and forced the devs into making other retarded design decisions (like the aforementioned restricting gear behind the dumbass pyramid) just to plug up the holes.
>The core conceit of the lead dev was that they wanted the mech to be as much of a character as the PC pilot themselves.
I get that, but it doesn’t work in practice. At least not in a way that’s both thematically appropriate and mechanically sound, everything in their system is either one or the other instead.
>>
>>78995395
So how would you do it?
>>
>>78995437
Cannibal Halfling already has a much better system on their blog, and personally vehicles with a brawn score that can take actions as a large silhouette creature has worked fantastically for me.
>>
>>78995508
>vehicles with a brawn score that can take actions as a large silhouette creature
I don't quite follow.
>>
>>78995524
It’s just the vehicle rules, plus a brawn score for punching (which also let’s you do some cool shit with the cumbersome weapon quality), and you can use the Manage Gear or interact with the environment maneuvers with your vehicle (basically take character actions with a vehicle), also allow one to use that vehicle maneuver that lets you adjust what range band you’re sitting in from Speed 0 instead of 1+. Also note what weapons are mounted vs hand held.

Simple and easy, uses already existing mechanics, still allows for all kinds of customization with weapon and vehicle mods, meshes with combined arms combats.
>>
>>78995666
Interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind.
>>
>>78995016
Am I famous?
>>
>>78985106
Steel Battalion is just Capcom's Mechwarrior, innit?
>>
>>78973639
>>78973931
I miss the MFZ threads. Couldn't care less about the game, I just miss the pics and builds.
>>
File: AK-12_costume1_D.png (966 KB, 1024x1024)
966 KB
966 KB PNG
>>78985106
Girl's Frontline. It even has mecha.
>>
File: 29.jpg (322 KB, 1200x957)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>78985106
IBO. No shut up I don't care about what you think about the show itself. The background setting was filled with potential and would make a killer RPG setting.
>>
File: jk256pn4bze61.jpg (695 KB, 1200x758)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
>>79000073
Piloted mecha even, not even just "robots = mecha."
>>
>>79000205
No it wasn't.
>>
>>78996298
Around these parts yeah
You kept posting your discord on 4flan whatdoya thunk was going to happen
>>
>>79000701
Yes it was.
>>
>>79000701
Great argument. Get raped and die of AIDS.
>>
>>78998920
Yup, I never played it but man it looked fun.
>>
File: 3353313_p0.jpg (83 KB, 600x686)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Are exos the bridge between mech and power armor? Or is more the landmates?
>>
>>79002616
If there was a "bridge" for these overly autistic classifications that are outside the scope of the actual use and meaning of the word "mecha," then landmates would definitely be that bridge.
>>
>>79000205
The calamity wars, I buy that, but at the end of IBO it was a pretty opresing setting to play in desu.
>>
>>78994690
>Armour Astir
First time hearing about that game. It seems to be more magic than sci fi? Just checked the artificer it seems to have interesting mechanics.
>>
>>78994953
Isn't that similar to lancer's license system?
>>
>>79006799
Which is also fucking stupid.
>>
>>79006799
>>79007315
Lancer's license system is just a class/level system with a different name and the ability to respec at will.
>>
>>79007937
And that's terrible. Why even have classes if you can freely respec whenever?
>>
>>79008012
i dont see whats wrong with respecing, especially if you haven't played the system before
>>
>>79008012
>And that's terrible
Lex Luthor's RPG had 40 classes. That's as many as four tens.
>>
>>79008032
>>79008042
No no don't get me wrong, experimentation is good especially since mech pilots aren't joined at the hip to the machine or anything, you can just have another one.
I just wish it was done some other way, the way it's explained in the story is really dumb
>>
File: thirty cakes.jpg (76 KB, 701x582)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>79008042
>>
>>79008122
I mean its all up to GM's fiat anyways. What do you mean by "explained in the story" though?
>>
>>79008780
Licenses are actually a thing in-universe right?
>>
>>79008842
I mean yeah, but you can always refluff it. The in game lore sucks anways. I was more so refering to respecing.
>>
>>79009647
I don't mind respecing. But I remember reading the Lancer playtest for the first time and thinking "has nobody ever driven a card without a driver's license in this setting as well?"
>>
>>79009740
Honestly, I would just disregard the setting. When half of the book is dedicated to the lore, that's generally a sign to me that I would be better off homebrewing my own lore. A lot of Lancer GMs are the same. At least on /lng/.
>>
>>79009740
I haven't played Lancer but think it's about acquiring equipment and mods for the mech. Like, anyone can jump in a mech and use it, but to requisition certain weapons you have to prove that you're trained to use it. Like in an actual military.
>>
File: AAAscent.pdf (3.66 MB, PDF)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB PDF
>>79006589
The art and the implied setting is fantasy, but the book encourages (and provides advice for) people playing it to make up their own setting. For example, the weapon listing provides sci-fi examples of what each item might represent, and there is this (attached) document that refluffs and slightly tweaks the character types to be more sci-fi.

>>79006799
Not really, no. The idea behind Genesys' talent pyramid is to create speed-bumps to reaching the top-tier talents, without having a class system. The idea behind Lancer's license system is to be a pseudo-class system that gives you stuff with every level.

That said, I need to look through Mechasys and the Genesys core book, and see what sort of "filler" talents there are. For player characters, there are often useful talents you can take while working towards the top-tier stuff you want. But for mechs and mech pilots, there may be fewer options, which would explain why other anons aren't happy about it.

>>79009740 >>79009920
You can indeed hop in someone else's mech, or hijack one from an enemy, or steal/rent/borrow equipment outside of the license system.
Also, I know things are kind of slow here, but if you have questions about Lancer or how it works, you are always welcome to pop over to the other thread >>78956505
>>
>>79010280
I asked a question there just now. Thanks Anon
>>
File: ZOIDS.jpg (512 KB, 1400x1007)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
>>78985106
The Zoids franchise has a lot of potential that's usually wasted. Lots of mechs and many different times to set a campaign.
>>
>>79010411
It makes me sad every time someone reminds me.
>>
>>78973639
So one time I had this dream where I was playing a nonexistent mecha game. The mechs were these weird biomechanical dinosaurs called "Larries" and once killed they folded inside out into highly-dangerous "Negative Larries" that spewed blood everywhere all the time.
I'm not sure why I just remembered all of this.
>>
>>79011525
I'd play it
>>
>>79010411
Besides using animal mechs, is there anything that separates Zoids from a regular mecha franchise?
>>
>>79010411
The GBA games are objectively the best way to go around a Zoids TTRPG but good luck adapting the long list of Zoids,weapons and mods.
>>
>>79011525
The fuck anon, is that some represed remembrance of a 80 anime?
>>
>>79016601
Well, gundam has the GMs "Jims" so you could be right. I should put this down while I still remember it
>>
>>78977359
bump
>>
File: ffs.jpg (68 KB, 353x500)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>78985106
Five Star Stories.
>That feel when no Fatima waifu.
>>
File: Aspalus-ZERO.jpg (683 KB, 1476x2139)
683 KB
683 KB JPG
>>78992256
>looking at the Apsalus 3 here, which somehow got cobbled together in less than a month by Zeon Forces that were pretty much surrounded, holed up in a mountain complex, on a small stretch of land in the middle of nowhere
Aspalus actually makes sense when you realize that almost all of it's parts are derived from existing MS & MA(mostly Zaku, Dom, and Adzam parts), pretty much only it's Mega Particle Cannon was purpose built for it

this is even more apparent in the Aspalus Zero that was introduced in a 2007 manga retelling of 08th MS Team
>>
File: Adzamrepair.jpg (811 KB, 1024x1496)
811 KB
811 KB JPG
>>79019183
or the Adzam Repair from 0083 Rebellion for that matter
>>
>>79011525
What happens once you kill a Negative Larrie? Does it go full Re-Larrie?
>>
>>79019381
Larrie 3: You Can (Not) Invert
>>
>>78977359
Maybe Operation Whitebox, but that's a D&D hack
>>
>>78988389

This guy gets it
>>
>>79020479
Why did they downgrade the cover?
>>
File: Mekton Z Cover the 1st.jpg (148 KB, 497x523)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>79020516
Y'know, I'm not sure. It's possible I once knew and have forgotten, and it's also possible I never knew. I'm trying to remember...

Hmmmm...

OK, I remember the new cover image being colored. In fact I think I may have colored it! Man, I wasn't real good at it back then, but I tried.

So yeah, why DID the original cover get changed? I can't remember. Maybe there was something to do with the contract with Yuji Kaida? Or maybe some concern that Sunrise/Bandai would find the original cover objectionable and we were trying to bring over the Japanese Gundam RPG?

Tsk. My brain has clearly rotted from watching too much mecha anime. (Hah! As if there could be such a thing as "too much mecha anime"!)
>>
File: Genosaurer.jpg (56 KB, 742x482)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>79012689
Sort of? It's an established thing in-universe that Zoids have a limited form of sentience and that in some cases it can be strong enough to be either a boon or a burden for the pilot. There are also naturally occurring Zoids, which tend to have stronger "personalities" than those that are manufactured. I feel there's certainly a lot of potential in the idea that your mech has instincts that you have to manage, while not being able to simply talk to it like an AI.
>>
Lads, anyone can say whats 'the state of the Heavy Gear new edition?
>>
>>78986447
Is d100 practical in general? How often do you modify things in increments smaller than 5% at which point you could just use d20.
>>
>>79021693
Given DP9's track record the safest bet is to just assume it's dead until proven otherwise.
>>
>>79021316
This could be modeled this in 2d20 system by give the mech its own drive statements. When doing something with a mech the pilot would choose his drive but the mechs statement would be reviewed after this to see if it agrees or disagrees.

For added bonus you could keep the mech drives hidden and the players would have to unravel them during play.
>>
>>79021693
>>79022176
Isn't this it?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/355141/Heavy-Gear-Blitz-Tabletop-Wargaming--3rd-Edition-Rules?src=also_purchased&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=19&affiliate_rem=4310
>>
There a good website for looking at images of all the Lancers mechs? I know they have an app website but it doesn't show the mechs very well.
>>
>>79023599
I assumed he meant the RPG
>>
>>79023610
Ask here: >>78956505
>>
File: alex-konstx-dd-group.jpg (473 KB, 1500x1000)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
>>79023599
I mean the Rpg bro, they were making a 4 edition be fans. I only wish this time it has better luck than the last one...
>>
>>79023599
Can this game be played as an TTRPG?
>>
File: C1A1Y8pUsAEsEjV.jpg (235 KB, 656x960)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>79025201
The Original Heavy Gear was a lot into it, but I don't know if blitz maintained the corelation with the RPG and the TG.
>>
>>79024767
Found more by the guy
>>
>>
File: alex-konstx-ww-11-02.jpg (650 KB, 1500x2000)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-ww-011.jpg (330 KB, 1920x1920)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-ww-09.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1920)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-ww-08.jpg (388 KB, 1920x1920)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: heavy air.png (260 KB, 640x472)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
I've got a whole folder full of lego mecha.
>>
>>
>>
File: alex-konstx-gw-04.jpg (538 KB, 1500x844)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>
>>79026052
Feel free to post some of the coolers ones anon.
>>79025923
He has a cool idea about aestethics, I love his color selection.
>>
>>
>>79026052
Man that lego mech looks cool
>>
File: gundam.jpg (50 KB, 640x375)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>79026093
I'll post a few.
>>
File: NESF-M07XX Sailia Dual.jpg (237 KB, 1380x1380)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: alex-konstx-sf-group.jpg (370 KB, 1500x1000)
370 KB
370 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-ww-group.jpg (327 KB, 1500x1000)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-rc-group.jpg (367 KB, 1500x1000)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: alex-konstx-cc-group.jpg (365 KB, 1500x1000)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-sdfgsdfgas.jpg (409 KB, 1500x844)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-gc-group.jpg (335 KB, 1500x1000)
335 KB
335 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-asdfa (1).jpg (523 KB, 1500x844)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-dr-group.jpg (435 KB, 1500x1000)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-asdfasdfa.jpg (388 KB, 1500x844)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>
File: alex-konstx-cover.jpg (395 KB, 1500x1000)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>
>>79026450
Oh fugg they made a mecha cthulu!
>>
Are there any good GM's journals for someone running a campaign for the first time? I ask here because it's a mecha campaign.
>>
>>79028244
I highly reccomend the Running the Game series of videos. It has D&D advice but a lot of it can easily be applied to anything. Other than that it's just practice, experience, knowing your group, and taking critique in stride.
>>
>>79028244
The system matters a lot here,
If you're doing an on the rails military campaign, Check out Twilight 2000, or Only War for some inspiration on how to run things.
If you're looking for more Mercenary "sandbox" stuff, I'd recommend taking a look at battletech mercenary sourcebooks, and possibly Traveller too.
I usually go with the latter, and throw a handful of loosely preplanned scenarios at the party's company as their contracts for the week, up to them which ones they pick, but it lets me write narrative through their contract performance, and the contracts they choose in shaping larger conflicts between nation sized story elements.

Ask your players what they'd like to play, have a session 0, jot down player and GM expectations and ideas, then get rolling
>>
>>79028542
You know what, now that I'm thinking, what good mech rpgs are there? I'm talking less Gundam and more Steel battalion or Mechwarrior.
>>
>>79028753
Battletech
>>
>>79028753
BT... I woulnd't say its good, but its certainly the most deep of the rpgs, too deep for my taste, lots of time is called acountantech, and maintaining your merc outfit with autistic detail is a thing lots of the BTG relish. Tough I prefer to let princess do her job.
>>
>>79026209
It took me a moment to realize that mecha is made of legos.
>>
Bump
>>
How does Battle Century G do when the pilots are forced to do a mission or two out of their mechs?
>>
Gathering GURPS books to try and make a game inspired by Orguss 02, the idea that one day mechs from the far future just appear but civilization hasn't reached the point where they can understand how these machines work 100%, leading to the mechs just being treated as fighter planes with limbs, usually gutting the mech of all the "fancy" interior mechanisms. Undecided between setting during WW1 or WW2.

Was further entertaining the idea of making some fantasy races bleed into the setting, bringing in some manner of low level magic.
>>
>>79035644

Why GURPS though?
>>
>>79037440
Maybe he just likes GURPS?
>>
File: 0dgfhrhhrhrt.jpg (230 KB, 800x930)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>79035644
>>79037440
>>79038806

I'd be fascinated to hear from anyone who likes, understands, and can use (or has used) GURPS Mecha successfully!
>>
>>79039724
GURPS Mecha the book is a dumpster fire mechanically, but mecha can be done in GURPS a number of ways that can actually work.
>>
What's the Vietnam of mecha? Working on an alt history where America is deploying the first mechs while It Ain't Me starts playing.
>>
>>79039921
Pardon?
>>
>>79039921
>the Vietnam of mecha

The second arc of Armored Trooper VOTOMs, referred to as the "Kummen Jungle Wars".
>>
>>79039921
VOTOMS and Gundam 08th MS Team come to mind, Obsolete would also be good for getting some ideas
>>
>>78977359
Where's that pic from? That's awesome visuals
>>
>>79026209
Those arms and their articulation make me coom
>>
>>79021057
Did you do the art for Mekton? I bought most of the books from some bargain bin at a con because the art was great, I've never even looked at the rules. They're now on display in my geek cupboard.
>>
File: RK-92 Savage.jpg (18 KB, 295x400)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>79039921
The most grunt mecha ever and usually armed with mech sized AK-47.
>>
>>79041460
Savage is best boy.
>>
File: 423164768467634.png (740 KB, 894x490)
740 KB
740 KB PNG
>>79028753
Battletech is great imo, but it is very crunchy, a wargame first
I'd recommend pairing Mechwarrior 2nd ed (the RPG) with Total Warfare, Tactical Operations, and Strategic operations (Battletech 4th edition tabletop wargame rules)
Also check out MegaMek and MekHQ, they simulate the tabletop and accounting for you, helps one get a feel for things and grow into the system, there are free reference cheat sheets on the Catalyst Games website that will help you learn the rules as you play MegaMek
>>
>>79041395
The MS Era artbook.
>>
File: ENGLISH 5.0.pdf (1.7 MB, PDF)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PDF
Hey guys, im currently developing a boardgame about giant robots fighting eachother

if you like boardgames, giant robots and have enough patience to read rule books please give it a read and tell me what you think about it
>>
>>79044300
I will read this and get back to you. It might not be today, or even in the next thread, but I will do it.
>>
File: IMK-04_Mauler_poster.jpg (2.38 MB, 3328x2406)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
>>79041448
>Did you do the art for Mekton? I bought most of the books from some bargain bin at a con because the art was great, I've never even looked at the rules. They're now on display in my geek cupboard.

I did some art for Mekton, yeah, but not the majority of it. I'm glad you thought the game's imagery alone was strong enough to warrant a purchase (even a bargain one).
>>
>>79040776
The eps in Sout america are pretty good for the ?Nam feeling.
>>
>>79040776
What's the best way to watch VOTOMs? The new BD has some complaints on Amazon.
>>
>>79037440
Been wanting to give GURPS a try for a long time now, figured I'd give it a shot since I basically intended to just grab bits and pieces from systems I like and previously played.

>>79039748
Please elaborate; I was planning to use GURPS Mecha but if it's that bad well, I'm open to ideas.
>>
>>79048948
VHS Tapes or your nearest anime streaming site
>>
File: tager-stance.gif (244 KB, 507x552)
244 KB
244 KB GIF
>>78973639
How come I never see mechs with magnets for hands? Is this too silly even for a mecha series? I'm just enamored with the idea of a mech picking up and slamming a smaller one on the ground, maybe even off a jump if they can boost/fly

Pic incredibly related
>>
File: Talos.jpg (198 KB, 550x650)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>79050226
You should've been around for Rising Thunder. One of the characters, Talos, was the game's grappler and used magnets to catch and throw other mechs around.
>>
>>79048948
probably a VRV subscription
>>
>>79021693
Does anybody know if the guy who did these HG artworks is still around? I really liked 'em
>>
>>79052374
I don't remember seeing more art be him. Even the late Dp9 didn't had new art be him.
>>
bump
>>
>>79025566
>>79024767
>>79023599
>>79022176
>>79021693
Whenever I see Heavy Gear I sigh and think of better times.
>>
>>79056814
Remember the good times, before DP9’s gross incompetence became so apparent.
>>
>>79056883
DP9?
>>
>>79058575
Dream Pod 9. The company that made and published Heavy Gear and the other silhouette systems like Jovian Chronicles and Gear Krieg.
>>
File: Den_Mother_art.jpg (38 KB, 336x395)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>79056814
Don't make me cry anon .
>>
Why is the naga so perfect bros?
>>
Anyone who tried both BCG and Beam Saber who can run me through the differences for them? Beam Saber looks really dense in comparison at a first glance.
>>
>>79056814
The new 3e Blitz rulebook is slightly less of an abject unreadable shitshow than the old one, so they've at least got that going for them. Maybe if enough people who aren't goblinoid mecha autists get tricked into playing it HG could claw back some relevance despite DP9 actively sabotaging itself every step of the way.
>>
>>79023599
>>79061185
I haven't really read it but it looks like it's a cleaner version of the living rulebook Blitz rules.
I just wanted to say though that a weird thing that stood out to me while skimming it is apparently the Deployable Pack Gun is now called an submachine gun, and there's pistols for Gears now.
Not sure how I feel about Gear pistols.
>>
>>79061185
I think the only way for Heavy Gear and all the other cool IP to survive would be something like a CC, I think the owner of those is halfway thinking the same desu, as he didnd't interfere with Heavy Gear d6 and even allowed to use the art.
I only want a Heavy Gear inspired MegaMek anons, imagine, you have a landship or something as a base...
>>
File: Military Police South.jpg (41 KB, 450x560)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>79061534
It feels even more patlabor now, I'm surprised they never pulled a Police in Terranova book or something and capitalize in than no one makes Police mecha, they have all the elements, MP mechs, Marshals for the Badlands, Cyberpunk Mega Corps style in North, South and paxton before it was nuked, Speed Freaks vs Rural police for an early mad max feeling...
>>
>>79061607
Well, the guys working on all the HGD6 stuff were long time forum regulars and con goers, and may or may not be friends with DP9 staff IRL.
But DP9 has always generally been cool with fan works, and actively encouraged it.
>>
>>79061534
Gear pistols were a long time coming imo. Sidearms are one of the things that make it worth giving your mech those very complicated and expensive hands (even if Blitz itself isn't quite in-depth enough to have rules for losing individual weapons or arms).
>>
>>79061736
I also think they add a lot for world building, because lets be serious, having Civil gears sporting AC is a bit much, but imagine if Sub Machines or pistols are allowed legally, it would make a lot easier to make PC Gear Pilots not atached to the militaries. And more options for NPC,I'm sure maintaining a gear sized six shooters woul be pretty easy.
>>
File: C4NWCOHVYAIU0Sm.jpg (343 KB, 2048x1536)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
What do you guys think about the Done+Mech combo?
>>
File: Ei6Sji6VoAAmF3_.png (74 KB, 214x300)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
What's your prefered Grunt anons?
I don't know if its a warrior or what, but I like the gruntness of this one, with camuflage, good grunt, with a bright paintjob, it would be easy to look like a MC mech.
>>
File: zenith.jpg (90 KB, 1000x760)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>79064511
>>
>>78973639
Buy lancer.
>>
File: Denethor.jpg (579 KB, 3020x2143)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
>>79064511
Not even a question.
>>
>>79065010
The zenith is a patrician choice not gonna lie.
>>79067364
A Leo? Its very grunty, I will give you that.
>>
>>79067364
>>79067681
Very explodey as well.
>>
>>79069756
Unless an important character is in it. Then it's as durable as any gundam.
>>
>>79039921
the jungle from VOTOMs
>>
File: tieran.jpg (208 KB, 448x700)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>79064511
the human reform league did nothing wrong and were 100% right about the supersoldier project
>>
>>79073152
The Tieran is my prefered not Zaku from the Gundams AU, godamn it looks cool.
>>
So what do you guys think of unobtainium?
>>
>>79076176
You mean like bullshit-powered plot device science that makes mechs viable?
Love it
>>
>>79076176
I think it needed a better name, because as is, it shows that James Cameron was lacking in the important parts of his big movie, even if it was Dances With Wolves: Space Edition: The Tech Demo.
>>
>>79067364
dickhole buttcheek robot
>>
>>79076176
McGufin mineral/Fuel is a okay way to create conflict for factions to fight over.
>>
>>79076541
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
It’s a 50s concept.
>>79076445
You’d probably love the idea of Mech Touch with its dozens of magic resources that exist solely to justify the mechs. The entire cast is awful though, seriously you’ll grow to hate them.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.