[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General, the thread dedicated to TSR-era D&D, derived systems, and compatible content.

Broadly, OSR games encourage a tonal and mechanical fidelity to Dungeons & Dragons as played in the game's first decade - less emphasis on linear adventures and overarching meta-plots and a greater emphasis on player agency.

If you are new to the OSR, welcome! Ask us whatever you're curious about. We'll be happy to help you get started on this playstyle.

>Troves, Resources, Blogs, etc:
http://pastebin.com/9fzM6128

>Previous thread:
>>78930299

>Need a starter dungeon? Here's a curated collection:
https://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/75631028/#75663784

TQ: If an elf is essentially a fighter/MU hybrid then a Cleric is a fighter/divine caster hybrid should there be a divine caster equalivlent of a MU?
>>
>>78966972
Off topic post. They are bards.
>>
Is it a good idea to put a big fuck off monster near the early levels of a dungeon?
>>
>>78967112
I use Cloakers. Abush party, then fly away upon first damage. Players will be on their toes for entire dungeon. You may even use Cloakers to herd players.
>>
To the anon last thread who was talking about players going back to town every encounter - the answer, in game, is restocking. If there is an encounter in the same room every time and they keep hitting it on repeat, they will have to either work around it or work through it.
>>
>>78967371
Players should set up a dungeon base camp with hirling guards, tents, a healer, a halfling cook, a smith to fix armor, etc. This should be near one of the dungeon entrances. Only losers go back to town!
>>
Ahhh nice change of pace. Our most recent session was the party spending all of their money constructing a house in town, furnishing it and hiring guards. 4 hour session playing the Sims while I got to catch up on game prep for new areas.
>>
File: whatdoplay.gif (190 KB, 1627x1052)
190 KB
190 KB GIF
Is there a flowchart like this but for all the various OSR games?
>>
>>78967518
OD&D, Holmes and BX aren’t even on here. And into the trash it goes!
>>
File: 1361814687198.png (96 KB, 394x294)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>78967430
Oh anon, I can only get so erect.
It's been *so long* since I've been in a game that did anything like this.
>>
>>78967604
Start playing with war gamers and people that look at Adventure Games as tactical problem solving exercises.
Stop playing with storytellers, amateur thespians, artfags.
>>
Next thing I run will be some gothic horror shit. Like the idea of my players having to manage day/night cycles and trying to rebuild a small region being ravaged by night horrors.
Will just use LOTFP as a base like always but I might experiment with replacing spellcasting with scrolls (like how mork bork is doing it) since nobody seems to actually play casters in my group and I want to use magic sometime.
>>
>>78968548
Just make casters a lil bit better. Nonfighters in LOTFP are miserable
>>
>>78967112
IMO its a good idea to have some range of encounter strength.
I tend to use the high and low number of the wandering encounter table as strong/higher than level HD entities. The upper number being an apex predator/more animal like encounter and the lower number being a strong intelligent group. The apex creature is usually keyed to a room in the dungeon as its lair. Probably breaks down to 1/4th or so of the encounters being strong entities.
Having a rumour and/or evidence of its existence so they players have some foreshadowing is fun. Or some of the more conversational denizen warn them about it if treated well, stuff like that.
>>
>>78967430
Bringing treasure back to camp does not count as bringing treasure back to civilization or a safe space for xp.
Forward operating bases are cool for players to make and set up though. I have 2 players who have been really into this idea.
>>
>>78966958
Forgot this part again.

Want to contribute to the thread but don't know where to start? Roll 1d8 (dice+1d8 in the "options" field) on the table below!
Our OC gets archived atosrgcontent.blogspot.com
Tag your post with [OC] to help archive anon find it, please.

>1. Make a spell
>2. Make a monster
>3. Make a dungeon setpiece
>4. Make a wilderness setpiece
>5. Make a magic item
>6. Make a race-as-class
>7. Make a 4-10 room dungeon
>8. Roll 2d8 and combine.
>>
File: divine ceremony.jpg (241 KB, 1280x720)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>78967112
It's better if it's telegraphed in some way. Rumors, tracks, bellows in the distance, piles of skulls, something. That way players are making a meaningful decision when they avoid it entirely, risk running into it, or seek it out. And they may even be able to punch above their weight class if they come prepared - those can be fun combats.
>>
>>78967371
This, plus spells per adventure/session, no sleeping to recover.
>>
>>78967678
Current game group is
>art fag wargamer dm millennial
>armature thespian tactical problem solver basement grogzoomer
>storytelling pragmatic planner gen-xer
>artfag socially cunning negotiator gen-xer
Feels good man.
>>
So is there a Domain rule set for AD&D or is the few pages from the DNG it?

And if so, is there a system with depth that isn’t as fiddly as ACKS?
>>
Is there any God of Light but not Sun in D&D?
>>
>reading through old shit I haven't touched since November
>it's a lot better than I remembered
Maybe I should try to actually finish it.
>>
>>78970599
Not sure about AD&D, but I have house rules that are mostly a stripped down version of ACKS that I'm using for my domain game.

It's pretty short, 2 pages for Domain Rules and pages for Mass Battle rules.
>>
File: 1517651756553.gif (849 KB, 500x340)
849 KB
849 KB GIF
>>78970599
2e's campaign setting 'Birthright' has pretty extensive rules for running a domain and armies. It can easily be used with 1e or 2e, or you could convert ACKS's domain rules
>>
>>78967112
I have a gorgon on the central crossroads on my first level. Its snorts can be heard as a random encounter on the level and its desolation is littered with the corpses of the "heroes" that came to slay it (if it is slain, it regenerates over the course of several sessions unless the curse is broken). Those heroes brought their stuff, some of it magical, with them and it can be scavenged given time (1 turn per attempt) if the gorgon is avoided or temporarily slain.
>>
>>78970103
That's interesting. Has anyone ever played like this?
>>
>>78966958
Swedeanon here. Reading through the previous thread people are talking about "whiffing" dice rolls in relation to THACO and such. What do you guys mean exactly?
>>
>>78967371
>To the anon last thread who was talking about players going back to town every encounter - the answer, in game, is restocking.
Plus, whatever comes to occupy the room is less likely to have a good stash of loot.
>>
>>78972634
Missing with an attack
>>
>>78972668
I see. Thanks.
>>
>>78972634
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
(chiefly in baseball or golf) try unsuccessfully to hit the ball.

It's just slang for missing your target. I would assume the word is onomatopoeic and based on the sound a bat or club makes when it swings through the air without hitting anything. In the case it was being used, people were talking about how unsatisfying it is when your attacks repeatedly miss.
>>
>>78972634
In games with damage reduction, it also means when you hit but cause no damage.
>>
>>78972797
>In games with damage reduction, it also means when you hit but cause no damage.
I would never use it like that based on...

>>78972772
>I would assume the word is onomatopoeic and based on the sound a bat or club makes when it swings through the air without hitting anything.
>>
File: beersel castle.jpg (445 KB, 1280x1189)
445 KB
445 KB JPG
>>78970599
An Echo, Resounding is a bolt-on domain system meant for any version of D&D. It's got a tag-based approach that's a lot simpler than ACKS.
>>
Why D&D doesn't have any notable Ratfolk race?
>>
>>78974550
Halflings are right there in all the books, anon.
>>
>>78974550
Wererats?
>>
>>78974550
They're not particularly notable, but "rat" is one of the main subraces of the hengeyokai in Oriental Adventures.
>>
>>78974550
Because ratfolk are pozzed garbage
Ratmen are the true OSR rat-things
>>
Stat this thing /osrg/
>>
>>78975540
Fights as a gnoll
>>
>>78975540
Stas: As a bear
>>
>>78975530
Humanoids are evil and not PC races. Anyone asking to play one is suspect. Tieflings and Dragonborn (aka Draconians) both originally evil.
>>
>>78970172
>>armature thespian tactical problem solver basement grogzoomer
jej, idk, but i like that description.
>>
>>78974550
Because I cum if its in the game.
>>78975530
No, its because it attracts coomers which attract schizos.
>>
>>78970172
what the fuck are you saying
>>
>>78967430
>Players should
It's amazing how many "common sense" things a person who actually lived in the world would do that never even crosses a players mind because they turn their brains off for the game.
I know for a fact at least one of my players goes camping semi-regularly, yet they never do any preparations of the sort in-character when preparing an expedition to a dungeon.
>>
How do I make wilderness exploration interesting? It feels like I'm really bad at it.
>>
>>78978656
Treat it like a dungeon.
>>
>>78978674
My players run away from every wilderness encounter though because it's not worth it.
>>
>>78978685
Have they never tried to skin and cook anything they find in the woods?
>>
>>78978685
my players who have good bushcraft rolls love the woods because it can give them reliable food sources

They're super wary of fae encounters there though
>>
>>78978685
Not every encounter is avoidable. You can be ambushed. You can stumble across an hostile encampment or a hungry/angry monster. You can be tracked by hostile forces or a hungry/angry monster. Hostiles can stumble across your encampment or bump into you as you both are traveling through the woods. Hostiles may be blocking your path back to town or waiting in ambush. Some predators may be driving you unwittingly towards the rest of their pack, leading you to be effectively encircled. You my run into hostile forces or monsters at the watering hole that you both need to access. You may get lost and wander into enemy territory, where even if you manage to avoid one encounter, you're still very much in danger. You may run from an encounter only to discover the encounter moves much faster than you do. Etc.

Keep in mind that even on the plains, you're not always going to be able to spot danger from far away. Even plains often have rolling hills, high grasses, and other features that can conceal a monster. Monsters may have natural camouflage that hide them from view until you're right next to them. Hostiles may camouflage themselves. You could have an encounter when it's foggy, pouring rain, or at night or twilight when visibility is poor. There could be dust storms. Etc. Etc.
>>
>>78978685
Not every encounter can result in combat. Throw in some other adventuring parties that share key information about the surrounding area. Also, have players encounter monsters caves/homes which have treasures before or after they are eventually attacked by said monster. Who knows what kind of cool stuff a cave of rust monsters might hold?
>>
>>78979021
>You may run from an encounter only to discover the encounter moves much faster than you do.
Regardless of the fact that the encumbrance of plate mail is sometimes greatly exaggerated, a man in plate mail with a pack full of gear is probably not going to be able to keep ahead of fast pursuers. So do you drop the pack? That would help, but then you'd lose your supplies, and your armor would still be slowing you down (and maybe making you overheat). You have a horse? A lot of terrains aren't great for a horse to go blindly galloping through. And they may have horses too.
>>
What do you guys think of this idea for a "special" room/trick
>a literal giant slot machine
>players can pull lever to release treasure, items, or random monsters into the chamber
>>
>>78979021
>>78979070
>>78979083
tactically analyzing situations like this just makes me want to lie on the ground and die, is this normal?
fuck it feels really hopeless to be 1st level sometimes
>>
>>78979111
Wilderness adventuring isn't for level 1 anyway.
>>
File: 1KuLZ8i.jpg (34 KB, 379x360)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
ive had a bad round recently and i immediately wanna restart my campaign
i know better know but i gotta reign in my wandering interests

>anyone else a brainlet that constantly switches ideas and directions a lot
how do you cope
>>
Zak's lawsuit against gen con got dismissed
he also tried to sue mike mearls and got that one thrown out as well

We know you read this thread you way-too-old-to-dress-punk faggot, ha ha!
>>
File: 1200x675.jpg (171 KB, 1200x675)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>78979401

yes yes very funny, please wait until the 300 post mark for this gibberish
>>
File: ecelebs.png (1.12 MB, 744x1316)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>78979401
>>
>>78979440

>keeping your own crop of cloned retainers around for extra body part replacements

I should try this in my B/X game sometime.

Actually, is there anything out there that resembles a system where you can be a magic user, and then there's a "super-science" version of magic, in that it's the really wacky shit, even if its not practical? In the Venture Bros it's like "Yes, we could invent hoverpacks, but it turns out people want iPhones more, so there are warehouses of deathrays, hoverboots, lightsabers etc but they're retarded and impractical and expensive."
>>
>>78979466
I would imagine that's what a wizard tower is honestly. magical machine gun crossbow that has a 30% chance to explode and costs 100 GP/day to operate and all that.
>>
File: purification.jpg (297 KB, 1200x801)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
What theme/setup would make for a good mega dungeon for Mutant Future (or early edition Gamma World)? I really want to recreate the idea early versions of D&D had where there's basically "the dungeon" that the campaign centers around, with the PCs making trips in and out of.
>>
>>78979503
>>78979466

I don't write wizards this way. When I DM, wizards become...aloof once they get to a certain level of power. Having access to 5 level+ spells tends to rot your brain. You can literally glass an entire battlefield and murder everyone, mind control people, etc. So they kind of act like someone without object permanence, they go "Oh man, I want to make a golem" and get like 80% of the way through it and go to bed, wake up the next morning really interested in resurrecting a famous dead general and the golem is just kind of shuffled into a corner somewhere. After awhile a wizards tower is just a bunch of rooms with half-completed magical experiments because they're too scatterbrained to focus on anything for too long, like a kid whose parents give him a bunch of different hobbies to try.
>>
>>78979548
Alien/illuminati bunker that link to the pre-human reptilian/ultraterrestrial underealms
>>
>>78979548
Ancient temple/laboratory meant to preserve the science, art, and knowledge of the old world, which has since fallen into decay but still contains many wondrous treasures from the time before the catastrophe.
>>
>>78979111
>is this normal?
No. You've been sublimated into performing mental illness-online as your primary means of expression.
>>78979311
By picking a few good ideas and focusing on them instead of coming here to lament how much of a spaz you are like its cool. It might help to practice using proper sentence structure and not spamming unrelated memes.
>>
>>78979858
>you've been sublimated into performing mental illness-online as your primary means of expression.
the fuck are you smoking? you've never felt overwhelmed in play when everything seems like it's out for your blood?
>>
>>78979548
>THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR
>>
>>78979866
Its a game you buffoon. Grow a spine.
>>
>>78979891
You're right, I should become just like you. I'm sure you enjoy your games a lot.
>>
>>78979961
>be foolish bitch
>get called out on it
>be passive aggressive bitch
You're a real ball of sunshine yourself.
>>
>>78980032
What are you talking about? I meant that you probably have a lot of experience with OSR play so you don't feel fazed by these things. Did it seem passive aggressive because I used punctuation? I didn't mean that, sorry
Do you have any advice? I just feel like my odds are shit and I'm never going to get anywhere in the game
>>
>>78980057
Its a game. Play the game. Talk to your party about what your plan is, what the potential threats are, what things you get in town or what information to search for. Ask the dm about how to search for rumours, sages, guides, hirelings, etc.
Play cautiously, ask questions about places you enter before you start messing with things.vAsk lots of questions. Pay attention to time. Bring friends. Run away when it doesn't look favourable to fight. Fight dirty with available terrain and mean spirited exuberance. Make allies in the dungeon when possible.
All that being said, sometimes you die. That's okay, its part of the game. Its a dungeon crawl through a mystical underworld filled with danger and treasure. Its easy to make new characters. Don't let a few losses discourage you.
Sorry for being a dick, its been a long day. But really, lighten up, its a game. Its fun to explore. Sometimes you die, but that's okay. Sometimes you do something clever and win big.
>>
>>78980116
Don't worry, I'm sure I worded what I meant in a really autistic way. Thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>78979111
>tactically analyzing situations like this just makes me want to lie on the ground and die, is this normal?
You mostly just roll with things. If you're a player, you don't have to worry about every conceivable situation, just the one you're in. I mean, you try to be careful, but if something gets sprung on you, you deal with it as best you can and consider it a learning experience. If you're a DM, well, you also don't have to worry about every conceivable situation. You just think about what would make sense or what would be interesting for the setting. You want to figure how far away the monsters/hostiles are when they first get spotted? Either make something up or, like, roll a die. 1d6. 1 = right on top of you. 6 = really far away. Take the lower of two rolls in places with limited visibility (like forests) and the higher of two rolls in open territory (like steppes). If you roll something that doesn't make sense to you, adjust it until it does make sense. Then just let things unfold. What is the motivation of the monsters/hostiles? Are they hostile at all? Maybe they're friendly or disinterested. Maybe they're unfriendly and would kill the PCs if they easily could, but they're not going to go chasing them and they might not be willing to be too reckless with their own lives. Maybe the monsters are territorial and/or protecting their young, and are aggressive, but only so long as the PCs are encroaching on what's theirs (and aggressive couldn't mean "roar and posture" and not always "attack until dead"). Maybe they're hungry, in which case their dedication to attacking even after they've been wounded might depend on how hungry/desperate they are and how ornery they are as a species. But you don't need to map out every possibility. You just need to come up with *some* motivation that isn't ridiculous. The monsters are hungry. They're territorial. They're intelligent and they hate the PCs and/or the civilized races. They're bandits and they want loot.
>>
>>78980149
>You just need to come up with *some* motivation that isn't ridiculous. The monsters are hungry. They're territorial. They're intelligent and they hate the PCs and/or the civilized races. They're bandits and they want loot.
They're just traveling through the territory like the PCs are, but they see an opportunity to kill them and take their shit. Fucking humans have been traipsing through their territory and wrecking shit and they're sick of it. Humans looted them and now they want revenge, or to be compensated by confiscating the PCs' gold. Whatever the fuck, as long as it's something. Write different options down on a table and roll if you have to. If you roll something that you can't make make sense, then roll again.
>>
>>78979858
Hey if you're gonna sperg out can you do it when replying to someone else? Thanks.
>>
>>78979311
I do hate having possibilities closed off, which means that any campaign that goes on for too long tends to leave me feeling a bit trapped. The more defined something in, the more possibilities you cut off.
>>
>>78967595
OD&D is on this, it's just called D&D 0e.

But I agree that Holmes and B/X belong on it too.
>>
>>78980116
You forgot
>dice a cube
>>
>>78978871
I like your style, dude
>>
File: Tari.gif (71 KB, 300x360)
71 KB
71 KB GIF
>>78974550
Because with all those Gnomes, Halflings, Goblins and Kobolds it's kinda difficult to find a niche for the fifth small race. There are Tari in Dark Sun, but they never got a PC stat block https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tari
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK6XNGL85MIzlKueIREPLvw/videos
>>
https://audiochan.org
>>
File: AD&D Domain explanation.jpg (450 KB, 1296x2392)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
AD&D is the best
>>
I've been working on my hexcrawl map and can't decide between points of light and baronies. I like ACKS making each 6 mile hex a barony and the baronies each owing allegiance to some higher lord. It jsut doesn't make sense for the world to be a series of walled towns. Where are the farms? The problem is that the world that "makes sense" looks kinda ugly on a map with a bunch of dots in the center of many adjcent hexes where "civilization" is with many adjacent baronies occupying areas of arable land. I'd also have to make subhex maps for the individual villages and features within each barony. It jsut doesn't make sense for there to be a barony and then multiple empty hexes before the next one (at least in most cases). And in general hexes drive me nuts because drawing a town that should be on the edge of a lake means I either draw the edge of the lake going through the middle of the hex or I draw the town near the edge of the hex and either way it messes with the nice neat discrete ness of hex map travel.

So should I stop marking towns at all and just mark baronies? Only mark very major cities and not even put a dot for the barons seat of power?

I know I know "it's fantasy" and that's fine and all but it does nothing to quell my raging autism. And it doesn't help that I've been reading ASoIaF lately so I've been in the mood for local lord autism as well.
>>
>>78983617
I similarly had trouble deciding between the two, and settled on having larger "domain" hexes (either 24 or 30 miles) and smaller 6 (or 5) mile hexes where the exploration takes place. Put the castle/tower/church in the central hex of each domain hex, and now you have a domain which can be crossed one day by horse or from which footmen may reach any point within a day.
>>
>>78975949
Yeah, that's perfect, come to think of it. Hug attack fits this perfectly.
>>
>>78983617
Settle some hexes with baronies near a river or some other method of transportation like sky ships or something. That'll be your settled area. The whole rest of the map can be your points of light thing.
>>
>>78979106
I'm gonna steal it
>>
So if I point at any random part of FR Grey Box map that's unmarked by a town and say, who owns this, who will challenge the players building a settlement here?
Where would I find that information?
>>
>>78985143
Reading the boxed set, presumably. Many regions are city-states in the north, and in general, powerful nation-states don't exist. There are a few, like Amn, Calimshan, and Cormyr, but for the most part you can build wherever. The only challenge would be monsters, greedy nearby city-states that would want you to be their subject (or ally, if friendlier), and the GM's willingness to let you do that.
>>
>>78985187
It's a problem I'm feeling as I look at long-term campaigns. The player theoretically go into the wilderness and build a domain, but rolls produce inhabited castles and settlements who own fealty to someone on the map (more of a Greyhawk problem). This drives the domestic element of domain gameplay but AD&D is vague about setting it up to begin with.
>>
>>78985143
Depends on the map, the year it was published, which version of the setting
>>
>>78985615
The OSR one obviously
>>
>>78983617
Just do points of light if you want to. The world is a series of walled towns and the heavily patrolled farmland that tightly surrounds the towns, but is (for smaller settlements and strongholds) within sight of it or is (for larger settlements) still able to be travelled to and back within a day.
>>
>>78967135
What is the best answer to a cloaker after it's wrapped itself around a party member? One of those fuckers got a valuable hireling killed on my first run through Keep on the Borderlands.
>>
>>78975530
And someone made a ratman class here before, so that checks out.
>>
>>78986489
Same as slimes.
Use the torch to burn the fucker rather than hack or stab the damn aberration.
Touch spells are also good, specially ghoul touch.
>>
>>78984431
That's a good idea.

>>78984848
I suppose that works but any other towns out there I'd have to explain. I really liked the nentir vale in 4e but if I'm going to do domain level play then I need to make the world a bit more intelligently constructed.

>>78986357
That works. I guess I just start wondering why those areas aren't as close together as possible, save for mining towns that naturally have to be built further away. Unless therr are only a few 6 mile wide patches of arable land 20 or more miles apart.

I dunno maybe I just need to stfu and get over it.
>>
>>78986875
The implication in points of light is that the limiting factor for domains isn't arable land, but security and organization.

Remember, humans aren't the dominant species. The more spread out from defensible positions your lands are, the harder they are to defend. I suppose it'd be possible to create a network of castles to defend a larger area, but historically those sorts of systems arose during times with strong centralized powers to mandate fortifications (e.x Roman border forts or Alfred the Great's Burghal system.) and the default assumption in a points of light game is that while there have been empires in the past, there currently isn't one.
>>
>>78986875
>>78988153
Or put another way. If you build a stronghold near an already existing settlement or stronghold, you're gonna need to pay taxes and accept an overlord. In that case, why even build a stronghold to begin with, when you can just accept the protection granted by your overlord?

The reason settlements and towns are far apart is because they're either the scattered remnants of a collapsed empire or because they were made by people forging off on their own to create a space that where they can live the way they want to.
>>
>>78986875
>I guess I just start wondering why those areas aren't as close together as possible
This is why people keep insisting on OSR settings being quasi-postapocalyptic, Fall of Rome scenarios. Those areas are simply where civilization survived when the infrastructure collapsed, whether because of an unusual concentration of power, a defensible site, concealment or dumb luck. Part of the implied theme of the typical early-D&D setting is that there *used to be* continuous settlement and the whole operation collapsed.
>>
>>78979311
Yes, I get this nagging feeling that the content I made for the table, setting, dungeons etc. or the way I'm using the system just isn't good enough and that I should scrap it all and start over ALL the time. It's made worse because I'm worried I won't find another table to run OD&D for irl since so few people play it at this point so my wandering interests are mostly backed by "how can I make this world as fun as it can be to play in so they don't get bored and leave"
Don't really have any advice other than grit your teeth, bear it, and run what you made. If they like it they'll keep playing if not that's the way it is. You'll do far more damage to a table swapping settings/systems etc. every few weeks than you would just running a consistent if slightly boring single setting/system
>>
File: 1609452501220.png (192 KB, 677x292)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>78983405

>There are MANY 1 mile hexes in a 30 mile across campaign map...

30 miles? I couldn't imagine running a campaign in what would be a a 5 by 5 six mile hex grid.
>>
>>78992651
That's because you're American and have no sense of scale
>>
>>78982784
I just sort of rolled gnomes, halflings, and ratfolk together into one race of quasi-Romani/Irish-Traveller vagabonds with a penchant for sleight of hand and animal husbandry.
>>
>>78993376
This. I would highly recommend anyone to to on a proper ~6 mile hike on a mountainous or hilly dirt trail. then picture yourself doing that with arms, armor, supplies, and treasures weighing you down, day in and day out. A 5x5 six mile hex grid of wilderness is MORE than enough to a long term campaign
>>
>>78993659
>This. I would highly recommend anyone to go on a proper ~6 hour trek in a deep, dank dungeon. then picture yourself doing that with arms, armor, supplies, and treasures weighing you down. A 50x50 yard square grid of underground is MORE than enough to a long term campaign.
>>
>>78993659
While it is ENOUGH, sometimes you wanna run a campaign that involves horse and boats.
>>
>>78988153
>(e.x Roman border forts or Alfred the Great's Burghal system.)
But that system would have to rely on external food delivery. When you need an acre of land per person to feed them you can't easily have tiny borderforts and nothing else.
>>
>>78989122
I like the idea of balkanisation and ruins, but I still need farmland and there would still be organization of sorts. Maybe I'm going too hard on the realism faggotry. At least this explains why they would be so spread apart.
>>
>>78994379
I think you're overthinking and supposing that those two things you want are incompatible when you can do them well. What prevents you from having your farmlands and baronies then unexplored wilderness, then the next barony?
>>
>>78967112
lair of the lamb literally does this so it's prob okay. also osr isn't supposed to be about combat, so placing something big and PCs get totally wiped is a good intro imo, teach them to not think they are gods
>>
Who here has played Hole in the Oak?
Is it actually good or just coasting on OSE having really nice up to date presentation?
>>
>>78994136
Boatfags get the rope
>>
File: 1463333083496.jpg (1.24 MB, 2560x1440)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
So I'm about to move and I'm making an "evergreen" binder of adventures to take.
B4 is probably going to be level 1-4 one, and either G1 or G2 will be my level 9-12 one, but what should my level 5-8 adventure be?
>>
File: IMG_20210425_125713_909.jpg (183 KB, 1280x798)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
How do I make my dungeoncrawls more interesting?
>>
>>78995473
Most editions of classic D&D have rules for naval warfare and ships...
>>
>>78994379
As the other guy said, it's just a question of more spread between those areas of farmland.

Also, some guys in the early OSR (Noisms especially) did a bit of work on hex sizes and such and basically, one six-mile hex of mainly farmland would contain at least a dozen villages and support about 20 knights. So a barony of 1-3 hexes or a large estate that occupies only part of one hex are totally reasonably sized, and you can put as much space between those as you need.
>>
>>78979858
You might be autistic but this is genuinely the swift kick in the ass some of these whiners need. Respect.
>>
File: 1618119494452.jpg (166 KB, 1275x800)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
heres your campaign setting bro
>>
>>78989932
would it be obnoxious to swap settings after nine months of roughly weekly play?
>>
>>78996567
NAYRT but this is absolutely a question for your players and not for strangers on the internet. It's their game as much as yours.
>>
Hey guys. I've been away from /osrg for the past two months (I'm a Christian orthodox and I got off 4chan for lent and all). What did I miss in the past two months? Any epic new blogs, new stuff that got out, etc.? Thanks.
>>
>>78994652
I've used it for several new groups and it's a hit. Right off the bat the entrance gets people thinking of using their gear (rope to climb in safely). Then immediately they're hit with a variety of sights and sounds to pull them in + there's tons of interactive pieces some decent support for faction play. Solid and very deadly for the foolhardy. One particular group felt invincible until one of them was one shot by a giant lizard in round 1 of combat and turned into lunch.
>>
File: 1604653040015.jpg (353 KB, 1536x1966)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>78996567
>mfw my players in an 8-month long game just went through a 1-way dimensional portal
Anon I hope you like the tamed dinosaurs.
>>78996955
Blogs have been dead since August.
>>
File: 9qz10jk5mdt51.jpg (2.74 MB, 5797x3840)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
>>78998209
>Blogs have been dead since August.
Sad but true. Post-covid, when everyone has brain chemicals again, they might come back, but I'm not so sure.
>>
>>78996955
Go back into exile, christcuck
>>
>>78998209
>>78998282
What are you talking about? All the big blogs have been posting semi-regularly except for like Arnold and maybe a few others. And the handful of bloggers here still share stuff on Saturdays
>>
File: Classic Dinos.jpg (316 KB, 1024x1200)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>78998388
But there's been a huge drop off in frequency and high-value content. Time blends together.
>>
>>78997263
Any notable recommendations or changes from the adventure was written with your experience?
>>
File: Deeply Unsettling.jpg (77 KB, 1409x939)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>78979401
The purple RPG forum has a breakdown of the ruling.
> Zak sees a post that says that harassers and bad actors and gross dudes are bad, and goes "Clearly this is about me! So clearly that no other conclusion is possible."
>>
>Frequent cancelations
>players don't seem super into it, like they are having fun, but I haven't had a session like the one in my last game where everyone told me afterwards how much they loved it.
Should I just call it? Like the OSR format to be sure, but it feels like I'm not quite getting as much as I'm putting in.
>>
Recently got some friends together to play OSE and was wondering if there was a resource out there that had more gear with coin weight, or if I had to start making something like that myself.
>>
I'm glad the dude who worked on the Miroku OVA is set to work on Ark too. His style is very close to Ishikawa's
>>
>>78996567
If you're playing early D&D by the book or close (OD&D, Holmes, B/X, I never really got into AD&D 1/2E but I assume it's pretty similar) then I'd say yes unless your players are explicitly asking for a new setting or system or feeling comfortable with wrapping it up? But again I don't really have any specifics about your table so idk. What are you running, what level are your players, how much have they gotten out of your world/dungeons you've put together, are they still looking for something in the world or looking forward to something promised? There are some OD&D games where you'd still be pretty early into the leveling curve that far in and if people are still enjoying it and the feeling of slowly building power then don't take that away from them. As a DM like I said I have a lot of wanderlust but grit my teeth and stick through it but when I'm a player I absolutely LOVE slow burn sandbox campaigns where it takes 2-3 years to reach name level. But that's kind of hard to do when you're not in college living with the same people you play with.

>>78996955
>Christian Orthodox
Man, I've been looking for ages at my local orthodox church / the few around it to run a table with some people there as a community bonding kinda thing but I've found NO ONE interested. And it's weird because orthodoxy didn't have that whole satanic panic anti-D&D phase that other churches did, it's not that people there think D&D is satanic black magic they're just not really interested in it at all. There were 2 younger guys who I almost talked into playing but they didn't really like the freeform aspect because they thought D&D was more of a video/board game mashup. Which is a shame because with a wife, kids and work church is maybe 90% of the socialization I actually have when it comes to making new friends to hang out. Not really on topic just ranting. One of these days one of my tables is gonna die out, another one won't rise up to replace it and that'll be it
>>
File: crazy_hayato.jpg (14 KB, 205x203)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>78999788
Ken Ishikawa talk in an OSR thread? I don't even think the monk class is quite capable of replicating the ferocity of his characters...
>>
>>78999861
Haha, whoops! Meant to put it in another other thread, had a couple tabs open.
>>
Anybody play Top Secret? Is it any good? What are its mechanics?
>>
How do you get feedback from players? I was thinking of surveying them.
Obviously I can just ask them but it might be good to use a survey for more pointed feedback.

>>78999848
>If you're playing early D&D by the book or close (OD&D, Holmes, B/X, I never really got into AD&D 1/2E but I assume it's pretty similar) then I'd say yes unless your players are explicitly asking for a new setting or system or feeling comfortable with wrapping it up?
My current plan was to poll for opinions, but I'm generally not as satisfied with the way my setting's gone as I had thought. Or maybe I just don't have a lot of energy mentally rn and I'm chasing something that'll excite me.

> What are you running, what level are your players, how much have they gotten out of your world/dungeons you've put together, are they still looking for something in the world or looking forward to something promised?
Lamentations of the Flame Princess, level 1-3 across two seperate parties, a decent amount (a mix of modules and random shit I've made), nothing in particular.

> As a DM like I said I have a lot of wanderlust but grit my teeth and stick through it but when I'm a player I absolutely LOVE slow burn sandbox campaigns where it takes 2-3 years to reach name level. But that's kind of hard to do when you're not in college living with the same people you play with.
I like this as well and I don't wanna take it from my PCs, but idk man.
>>
>>79000108
If they don't want to start over, try something with time travel or teleportation? Maybe even a simple long boat ride to a new continent. Having the same characters accidentally fuck with magic deep in the dungeon and now be 300 years in the past could be cool, popping from a time of medieval iron to a bronze age mesopotamia.
>>
>>78998913
>reading the purple rpg forum
I went there for the first time like 2 months ago after searching for some rule or another and it literally had a banner about how the mods will ban you for not supporting BLM or some shit.
>>
>>78999848
Have faith, brother. The kids will get older and you'll have more time to branch out. To that end, I miss in-person church for the same reason. Not sure when we'll go back, but it can't be soon enough for me.

>>79000108
Talk to them. Say you want to take a break from the old setting and try a new setting. I advise against slides to China from the bottom level of the dungeon: those kind of surprise-change ups have killed games for me in the past - easier to put one in hiatus and run an interlude game, in my experience.
>>
>>78998436
Honestly no, although the different players haven't touched every part or the dungeon for me to see how things play out. There is a "main villian" in the tree stump worshipped by the gnomes. It may not be intentional but I made sure that alongside his normal attacks every round he's able to cast charm person and can't be interrupted so he becomes a real terror.
>>
>>78994434
Nothing but the issue is they cluster together and make the map look gay.
>>
Fumo race as class, how do ?
>>
>>79003695
What’s a fumo?
Care to explain.
>>
>>78996480
The patrician's choice! How would it work as a D&D setting, though?
>>
>>79004209
The patricians choice is to organically build your own world/CS through in game events. Greyhawk or another classic CS is the secondary choice. I don’t know what new school steampunk setting this magic train is from.
>>
I feel like RPGs lack mechanics for "sizing up" enemies - a character getting a feel of how strong an enemy might be just by looking at it. As a result, the decision whether to engage in combat is often arbitrary.

Modern games solve this problem by balancing encounters to PC level, or by allowing a certain level of metagaming (remembering how much HP a beholder has because you've run one in your own game).
OSR games seem to not think this is a problem - "lol that's life, roll a new character". I don't like either of these solutions.

Yes, it's true that appearances can be deceiving, but they still have some correlation with reality.
And it's true that realistic combat is chaotic, and even a completely overpowered enemy can score a fatal wound. But sizing up would still improve one's chances.
And it's true that this can be done with some player skill; i.e. knowing that two orcs are stronger than one, or that a sewer rat is obviously less strong than Cthulhu. But is the Witch-Queen of the Swamp stronger than a baby gold dragon? I have no idea, and yet it feels like my character should have a good hunch.

What do you think?
>>
Why are worldbuilding fags such unsufferable cunts?
>>
Does anyone have a table of random backgrounds similar to DCC's?

I'm looking for one that's a little more heroic.
>>
>>79004393
The mechanic is the player reading the monster section
There's no such thing as metagaming in OSR
>>
What do you guys think is best for an open table with a large player pool, Barrowmaze or Archaia? I really dig the idea of barrowmaze and the barrows around it, but I'm worried that the undead theme might wear out fast.
>>
>>78993659
irl exploration is a good inspiration, but not the entirety of the game. Its nice to have perspective on space and time so you as a dm can be consistent and informed, but its also a game of the fantastical, so long sojourns over large areas can be included for their own sake.
>>
>>78995617
>what should my level 5-8 adventure be?
This is a question I have as well. My group is getting to level 4, so I'm thinking of mid-level adventures I want to run. Misty Isle of the Eld has been sitting on my shelf for a while and I really want to use that. But it seems like most of the adventures that get reviewed are for 1-4 range.
The Palace of Unquiet Repose seems pretty cool though.
>>
>>79004393
If the enemy's total HD exceeds the party's by a fair amount, just say something along the lines of "you shudder at it's overwhelming presence"
>>
>>78979682
What are the rules for doing adreno?
>>
>>78999334
How long have you played that campaign? How long are the sessions and how frequent are they? Are you playing in person? All sorts of different factors, but over all, if you're not having fun don't do it, while at the same time realizing not everyone has the ability to constantly reaffirm your self-concept or quell your niggling doubts.
fwiw more often than not, players are legit happy enough to have a game they regularly play with their friends.
>>
>>79000069
Played it back in the day. Not osr. %based, overly fiddly, tried to cheese it so I could use two uzis at once. Not very good but had fun anyway.
>>
>>79000108
>Obviously I can just ask them but it might be good to use a survey for more pointed feedback.
Just ask them. Surveys aren't very useful with small and personally known sample size. If there are secret or fearful enough things they want to say but can't, you have bigger problems.
>>
>>79004393
Rumors, foreshadowing and good description is all you need. In OSR nasty creatures will usually look the part.
A skeleton is 1/2 HD, a zombie 1 HD and a ghoul 2 HD. Goblins, hobgoblins, gnolls, orcs, lizardmen, etc, all have roughly the same HP, what differentiates them is how they act. A bugbear clearly looks meaner than any of those, so you'd know they are probably stronger. There's not a big disconnect between appearances and challenge unless you count the more magical/weird ones, and that's where rumors and knowledge come into play. Magic is inherently confusing and deceitful, so making magical things look as strong as they really are is taking away the fantastical mystery surrounding them.
>>
>>79004433
If we're talking DMs that make their own worlds, they're fine.
But if you're talking about the leddit-tier, "I've spent 6 months of my life making this"; yeah, pretty egregious. I've had those people as a DM, twice.

Raised in the era of "Everything you do is awesome and matters." Also being compounded by the 'more details = better' mentality.
I'm not normally a cynic/boomer/Other-buzzwords, but fuck me the level of optimism people have no for their own creations is really concerning. Especially when they are clearly not presentable or early/first draft level concepts.
It's spilled over into Fantasy/Science Fiction novels thanks to the rise of the fat mormon and the authors following his wake; where it's even fucking worse.

You can't just have a town or city that you're fond of, it has to be the entire fucking planet - or in some cases the star system or even galaxy the piece is set in.
You can't just have magic, it has to be this incredibly dubious thing that takes weeks of planning to really get down why Johnny can't cast fireball because his daily intake of ritalin has impacted his gaia cells which don't produce enough magi energy. or something to that effect.
You can't just have Elves, you have to have Mountain Elves, sea elves, swamp elves - but not forest or high elves, because that's cliche.

The worst thing is you can't fucking play in their worlds. It's an obsessive solo project where only the world builders input is relevant.
Player input is either so minimal that it'll barely be a sidenote or footnote, or wiped clean and not relevant at all to the world they've made.
It's not even a case of 'that culture or race wouldn't do that.' more so 'these players killed these bandits, leaving these villages safe, so they should either grow and become towns or something.'
I remember we'd quite literally caused a cave in that sunk a small settlement, and when I looked at the dude's map and asked him about it, he said it was still there and rebuilt. 1/2
>>
>>79004393
You ask the dm what the monster appears like. They give you a description, you evaluate.
You ask around town about dangerous beasts, you get some rumours, you investigate via sages and skalds, witches and other monsters.
As a dm I tend to give information like
>looks huge and dangerous
>looks wounded but capable
>looks cautious and small
They can ask more questions, take notes, figure things out. Combat and encounters should be approached cautiously.
>>
File: MMkillMe.png (603 KB, 662x480)
603 KB
603 KB PNG
>>79005157
2/2, I asked why. And I shit you not, it was along the lines of "Well, because I have plans for it later, so it stays." It felt like a waste of time. Not that it was intentionally sunk to, it just felt like there was zero consequence because his world remained unaffected by our actions as players.
And this happened again and again - honestly to a much smaller scale; grave sites, wreckages, that sort of thing. And it just kept painting the picture that we were just tourists, and it fucking sucked.

Worldbuilders shit me off so much.
>>
>>79005157
>You can't just have elves, you have to have Mountain Elves, sea elves, swamp elves
Well excuse me but I thought that Drow, Aquatic Elves and Green Hags were a beloved D&D staple.
>>
>>79005157
>But if you're talking about the leddit-tier, "I've spent 6 months of my life making this"; yeah, pretty egregious. I've had those people as a DM, twice.
Yep, I'm talking about those exactly. I'm tired of seeing a fag spend hours of their time on worldbuilding when he could spend that said time making a better dungeon or even a better plot for the game. It's like they think they are the Tolkiens of this generation, but the setting ends up as a discount Forgotten Realms baka.
>>
>>78998366
You are a sad little man.
>>
Why do monsters attack bonus increase at a faster rate than Fighters?
>>
>>79004393
I solve this issue in my game by allowing fighters to determine the HD of humanoid enemies by observing them for a short period of time unless there's a reason they would be deceptively weak or powerful. After all, it stands to reason that a fighter would be able to see about how strong an enemy is from how they hold themselves, etc.

For non-humanoid monsters, I usually allow anyone to size them up and will tell them how many HD they have unless there's a reason a monster would be deceptively weak or powerful.
>>
File: pickpocket press.png (211 KB, 892x244)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
/old/, any of you guys read/bought these frameworks? They're pretty cheap and maybe they're good reading/inspiration, I don't know. Got any opinions?
>>
>>79005795
Having tried it both ways now, I can honestly say, fighters should lag behind monsters a little bit for the fun of the game. Fighters will almost always have a very high AC and will usually have magic items to make up the difference anyway.
>>
>>79006055
Yeah, they're ok. Kinda mediocre and not particularly OSR in their design, but they're not terrible.
>>
>>79005252
>Drow
Only liked because of GDQ and/or Drizz't

>Aquatic Elves
Only like because Sahuagin are kickass

>Green Hags
They're called Greenhags and they aren't Elves

>>79006055
>buying outlines
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>79004433
Worldbuilding is a hobby into itself that sort of needs RPGs in order to have an actual useful purpose. Wholly fleshed out worlds, planned ahead of time are unnecessary and usually come off as very contrived. I’m talking about where people are staying out the rulers and governments of every political entity on the map. This is because they are unrefined and unchallenged ideas. Like a lengthy fanfic character background for a 1st level character they are superfluous. Worldbuilding should occur through play. With a procedural generation baked in. Anything other than a rough outline of the immediate vicinity say 100 mile radius of a new 1st level campaign is a waste of time. Fill in the world map as you need it. Don’t write lengthy PC backstories either!
>>
>>79005253
>It's like they think they are the Tolkiens of this generation, but the setting ends up as a discount Forgotten Realms baka.
This exactly. Your average amateur writer is delusional about their abilities. I had a good friend write what amounted to a Sharpe’s Rifles fanfic with time travelers. It was terrible. He couldn’t believe it.
>>
>>79004823
Archia is the one inherently more friendly to an open table, but Barrowmaze has plenty of one-off barrows and locations on the overworld to place unrelated non-undead dungeons.
>>
>>79007578
>Sharpe’s Rifles
peaked my interest
>fanfic with time travelers. It was terrible
sad
>>
I want to do a hexcrawl. What are some good resources for randomly stocking hexes? I've got Wilderlands of High Fantasy, but I'd like to explore other options.
>>
>>79011257
One Hundred Wilderness Hexes is pretty damn good and is divided up into different geography types, have gotten a ton of use grabbing the locations for slightly more mundane hexcrawl locations and they're nice because each entry has a few random tables so you could feasibly re-use the same entry but mix it up a bit.
>>
File: the best thing.jpg (314 KB, 1408x1080)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
Anyone know of a video that actually shows the BX dungeon crawling procedure in use? I've looked through several YouTube videos of "OSR" and "B/X" games, but all they every show is horrible in-character acting for hours on end. I can never find an example of the rules in use.
>>
>>79011257
Carcosa (for other keyed hexes), Yoon Suin, AX2 D30 Sandbox Companion, all of Kevin Crawford's games. I think the DCC book Hubris has some tables for generating sword and sorcery style hexcrawl.
>>
>>79011965
This is going to sound like an asshole question, but did you read the examples of play in the Holmes Basic and Moldvay Basic books? They lay out a good "dialogue style" example of players crawling through a keyed and mapped out dungeon that's better than anything I've seen online. People learned to crawl dungeons from scratch armed with nothing else, it shows off most of the rules as they'd actually be used at the table
>>
What should be the mechanical effects for smoking synthetic space weed?
>>
>>79012509
I have read the examples in Moldvay BX and love it as written. It's just odd how much people hype up BX and its dungeon procedure, but I never see it in use during OSE, Labyrinth Lord, or BX videos.
>>
>>79012618
Charisma (or whatever) boost at the cost of everything else
>>
>>79005157
>>79005201
Every worldbuilder should read Broodmother Skyfortress if for no other piece of advice than: "be prepared to completely wreck your campaign world." It gives you a whole adventures about a group of giants on a floating airship that come down and utterly ruin and loot all your campaign's important cities and locations.
>>
>>79012650
If we're talking about videos of people streaming it or playing online, then that's not really that surprising. Classic style dungeon crawling as written isn't really conducive for online play. It's easy to run in person at a table, where everyone can see the mappers progress and sit around and comment on it / strategize and where the caller is right in front of you too so it's not hard for you to relay your actions or get their attention or where the DM can help the mapper sometimes or draw quick sketches as appropriate. But when you're playing online with webcams this is difficult and there's a huge disconnect so it's much easier to run abstract modern style exploration. Just my theory
>>
Unpopular Opinion? The AD&D sourcebook of Karameikos is WAY better than the Gazeteer's
>>
File: gfdhd.jpg (231 KB, 1951x598)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
seriously though, why the fuck do people act surprised when they publicly shit on others and get caught? zak did nothing wrong
>>
>>79014996
Hot take: they're both fucking stupid, and so are you.
>>
>>79005157

>be me
>have sorceror kings a'la athas
>one of my players says "that sounds gay. im going to kill them all"
>smirk and say you're welcome to try
>accidentally give him a nuke from a pre-made adventure because I didnt proofread it enough
>nukes the first one
>entire table argues they should get lots of XP for it
>second one they forment a riot and give the rioters a terracotta army they were supposed to use to stop a demonic invasion but just said fuck it and convinced the demons to come back later when they're in charge and they'll give them a REAL fight, SK uses most of his spells and they gangrape him
>third SK prepares for every eventuality so the party just goes "hey demon army, we're ready, meet at these co-ordinates and come fight us, you faggots" and he is woefully unprepared to deal with the party and the endless legions of hell

Millions dead. Social order destroyed. Feudalism in a classic sense coming right the fuck back. It's raining blood and the peasantry fear the east, calling it the bloodlands due to how much gore there is from torn up human elf and dwarf flesh. The party's name is hated and spat upon by all mortals as traitors and monsters. They're planning to invade hell next, cut off the infinite demon generating magic thing and kill satan. "If heaven has an issue with balance as you say we'll kill them too."

God help me, I've got team gurren for a party.
>>
File: Zak's FLowchart.png (373 KB, 1362x917)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
>>79014996
Nobody likes your flowchart.
>>
File: immanentize the eschaton.png (1.95 MB, 1145x774)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
>>79015166
Sounds like you've got an excellent group.
>>
File: 1511205139909.jpg (319 KB, 1469x958)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
I've heard there are some OSR games that tackle science fiction type settings and adventures. Anything noteworthy I should look for in the pastebin? Any recommendations?
>>
>>79015337

show up on time, no phones, and one of the guys gives me free citadel paints to keep in exchange for painting his minis. Only real stroke of drama we had was one of the ladies quitting because her boyfriend(also player) and her broke up. They tried to get me to take a side, I just said "there's four other players, we really don't need two other people that hate each other playing all the time." female called me a fucking asshole and blocked everyone and its been smooth since
>>
>>79015540
>free citadel paints

you probably aint gay, anon, but that's husband material
>>
>>79015425
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
The Blackmoor modules with robots
>>
>>79015425
Anomalous Subsurface Environment is science fantasy
>>
>>79014996
You can't make me care about whatever a Zak is.

>>79005157
I hate worldbuilders a lot less after trying it. It works out well for a general backdrop of the setting at a high level (eg; this setting is blasphemous themed, there's a big theology thing going around, ect). I can then break that down further into components that will actually interact with the players (okay there's a theology, how do they feel about adventurers, what kinda factions make them up, what kind of adventures could I get up to with them).
>>
>/osrg/ 5 years ago worshiped Z because he fucked whores and accused you of being a grog anti-semite prude brainlet if you didn't like his stuff
>now /osrg/ tries to bully-censor discussions about him
lol
>>
>>79016833
i just prefer more intellectual work (think veins of the earth) is all and I'm using this as a means of shutting down lowbrow art
>>
>>79016833
No, people mocked him then too. You can check the archives.
>>
>>79015425
X-Plorers, White•Star, Hulks & Horrors, Stars Without Number, Colonial Troopers, Mutant Future, Warriors of the Red Planet, Warriors of Mars, Planet Eris. Take your pick.
>>
>>79014996
>>79015318
>>79016833
Wait till after 300 idiot

>>79012192
How do I get my hands on AX1/2 D30 Sandbox Companion? All the links on their site send me to a site that doesn't load.
>>
>>79016921
>No, people mocked him then too. You can check the archives.
I don't need to check the archives, I always saw Zak was a talentless, degenerate hack and I got dogpiled whenever I said as much. You can't gaslight me, LotFPissant.

>>79017140
Fuck off, wannabe janny.
>>
Would you use a barbarian class in your game? Primal features (chance to avoid backstab, exceptional jumping, 15 move speed) naturally intune (can attempt to concoct natural poison remedies, tracking like a ranger outdoors, hide in underbrush/climb natural surfaces as thief skills). Distrust of magic users and items (can't use until later levels). Maybe a berserker rage.
>>
>>79017713
I use them as basically fighters, but with +1 hp/die, bushcraft 2-in-6 increasing, limited to mail, distrusts magic items. At 4th-level and beyond you can strike creatures that normally can't be hurt by mundane weapons.
I've thought about making them save to whip themselves into a berserker rage and also having to save to leave it, but I could never get it to feel good in play.
>>
What's a good little hexmap? Doesn't need to be keyed, b&w preferred. LL has one but the image quality is ass.
>>
>>79018217
The one with the hot spring island. I forget the name. Perhaps some other anon can provide the answer.
>>
>>79017713
Why can't fighters have all those features backed into them outside of the inherent hatred of magic?
>>
Has anyone played Godbound? It sounds really cool but I can't wrap my head around how something like this would actually play out. Like, what does an average session of Godbound look like?
>>
What are some good gothic horror adventures that youve run before?
>>
>>78998419
What would you consider high-value content from before this summer? Not asking in bad faith just genuinely curious
>>
>>79018217
Why not just use the Wilderness Survival Map.
>>
>>79018827
Wilderness Survival is not little, nor is it B&W
>>
>>79005860
This is an interesting idea. Just spitballing but I feel like making it such that a Fighting Man can determine the HD of an opponent ≤ their own HD to an exact number, but > their own HD is an unknown quantity but larger, gives it a progression of skill level for the Fighting Man and maintains some tension.
>>
>>78966958
>If an elf is essentially a fighter/MU hybrid then a Cleric is a fighter/divine caster hybrid should there be a divine caster equalivlent of a MU?
Wouldn't paladin be a hybrid of figher/cleric? In either case, cleric already has combat capabilities so eh
>>
>>79018884
In OD&D and B/X, clerics are basically already understood to be paladins. They're holy warriors of their specific devotion. It was AD&D that introduced the notion that clerics were more of a Friar Tuck sort of archetype and paladins filled the 3H3L righteous knight niche
>>
>>79018924
I see. Then maybe a hybrid of cleric and thief? Maybe remake druids into it?
>>
>>79018924
>It was AD&D that introduced the notion that clerics were more of a Friar Tuck sort of archetype and paladins filled the 3H3L righteous knight niche
Don't Paladins come in in Supplement I, though?
>>
File: gongburg.jpg (249 KB, 638x900)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>79018217
Not black and white but its pretty neat and roughly keyed. Been wanting to run mess with it for a while.
http://save.vs.totalpartykill.ca/grab-bag/gongburg/
>>
>>79018995
Damn they very well might. I've read through Sup I before long ago but I guess it never stuck with me that paladins have their origin there... I always assumed they were a product of AD&D. My bad; egg on face moment.
>>
What if you combined the 5e idea of stats as saving throws but with the table of descending dice requirements like AD&D and prior?

That way I don't have to keep track of skills as a DM.
>>
>>79019502
FOE
>>
>>79012691
Hmm, i dunno about that.
>>
why aren't people talking about Zak s anymore? Ya'll seem to be very against discussing the OSR's most successful and influential artists. You forget he won a shitload of awards?
>>
>>79005795
because that is what makes them monsters. There should be a reason why you should fear the night.
>>
Hi /osrg/, I came because I need help on finding the name of a game in which I only remember the book cover, and from what I remember it was also an OSR I think

The name appear in a thread like tons of months ago where it was discussing something about dnd 5e and the anon said it was like dnd but even better and with a great character creation. The book cover was from the inside of a monster jaw that was oppening in front of a Oni or something that looked like that, and in the background I think there was a pile of gold and a guy dying, idk

I recently remember it and wanted to take a look, so if someone can help me and tell me the name or even posting the pdf or the trove link I would appreciate it so much
>>
>>79004823
>I really dig the idea of barrowmaze and the barrows around it, but I'm worried that the undead theme might wear out fast.
IMO it absolutely does. Not least because it madly skews the effectiveness of Clerics.
>>
>>79018884
I think you misunderstood the question. It's saying that because the cleric is already a hybrid fighter, what would a pure divine caster look like?
>>
File: 5gQiigh.png (152 KB, 532x367)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>79019667

Zak hasn't mattered since about 2017 when he forgot to log out of one of his sockpuppet accounts and the mask fell off. It's also about the time when it starting to become pretty obvious most of his work wasn't that good and Vornheim was a good format to follow(toolbox world book over bible world book) but otherwise there wasn't much there. A Red and Pleasant Land wasn't as good or useful as Vornheim, Maze of the Blue Medusa couldn't even come within a country mile of Stonehell, etc.

Frostbitten and Mutilated wasn't really well liked post 2017 and the only thing I can remember Zak being known for post that year is endless whining on the blog about 'harassment'. Then he got metoo'd and nobody's really talked about him since, besides fucking dipshit trolls like you trying to stir up shit, or people chuckling about his legal adventures, victory or not(and they are entertaining). Nobody's talking about Cube World. Nobody's been excited or openly interested about a Zak S release since (arguably) Maze. Maybe there was some hype for FB&M, he did get a couple awards for it, but even allowing for that, he hasn't won an award or been interesting since 2018. Which was almost three and a half years ago.

Can you please stop wasting time in this fucking thread talking about someone nobody likes or cares about?
>>
>>79019889

Wow, why the fuck is this thread so fucking aggressive and nasty all the fucking time? Just say you don't like his work, all this effort to turn him down and it's childish and retarded. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>79019502
I don't understand what kind of system you're describing. How do you mean?
>>
File: blahblah.png (13 KB, 686x831)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
What do you think of my True 1974 character sheet?
>>
>>79019920
I like
>>
>>79019901
hi zack, welcome to 4chan
>>
>>79019901
NAYRT, but don't think it's particularly aggressive to give your reasoning for the way feel. Seemed pretty even keeled to me.
>>
OSR is so advanced that it has its own Daniel Fox now.
>>
>>79019920
>Physical/Mental split
>not SIWDCC

Good try.
>>
>>79017140
PDF is on drivethru and print can be found on lulu
>>
>>79019886
Ah yes, I see the problem. It would be a monk.
>>
On the subject of e celebs cuz we seem to be sidetracked here
Does stupid gonzo apply to any of your gameworlds?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QXEunOrKyc
>>
>>79020053

I made that post and I thought it was pretty neutral. The simple fact of the matter was he went from being talked about often to "guess what captain retard has done now!". I'm blown away he doesn't have a thread on the farms.
>>
>>79019889
>since 2018
Most people on 4chan weren't born that long ago !
>>
>>79020065

wut
>>
>>79019889
man...if you got caught doing that, the smart thing is to just delete fucking everything and go farm mushrooms or something
>>
>>79020594
Zak has been caught doing dumber things. Saying he was going to use the lawsuit money to get Demon City finished. Come to think of it, every Demon City update. "That's storygames." He's more meme than man.
>>
>>79020653

>Saying he was going to use the lawsuit money to get Demon City finished.

no fucking way that happened
>>
>>79019901
This thread has literally always been like 40% drama posting about some (pretty good) eceleb writers

Next thread it'll be cave girl, or skerples or someone else. Zak is eternal though.
>>79019889
>A Red and Pleasant Land wasn't as good or useful as Vornheim, Maze of the Blue Medusa couldn't even come within a country mile of Stonehell
I hate zak but I disagree with both of these. The former is much more helpful to me as a DM and the latter beats the shit out of Stonehell. It's just ashame that I don't want to be the guy at the club who runs the content written by the rape guy.
>>
>>79019901
This thread has literally always been like 40% drama posting about some (pretty good) eceleb writers

Next thread it'll be cave girl, or skerples or someone else. Zak is eternal though.
>>79019889
>A Red and Pleasant Land wasn't as good or useful as Vornheim, Maze of the Blue Medusa couldn't even come within a country mile of Stonehell
I hate zak but I disagree with both of these. The former is much more helpful to me as a DM and the latter beats the shit out of Stonehell.
>>
File: vW1mTW1.jpg (401 KB, 894x2060)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>79020676
He's deleted it since, presumably while crying.
>>
>>79020691
>>79020697
Well this isn't helping the ratio.
>>
>>79020697
>>79020691
fuck my life
>>
>>79020705
It's bizarre that Jacob Hurst is still involved with this project at all. All the other rats jumped ship. Was he paid up front and can't return the funds?
>>
>>79020846
i think its funny he called mike incompetent.
>>
File: IMG_iyuy09.jpg (75 KB, 812x675)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>79015166
Glorious
>>
>>79021244
At the end of the day Zak isn’t some god angel or fiend
Just a mortal man victim to and capable of failure human stupidity general incompetence and vanity and hubris like the rest of us
Be weary of the ego of great pride for it may lead to a fall
>>
Fuck drama, give me some of your system agnostic gonzo drugs.
>>
>>79021455
he's a mediocre but competent designer that also does sex crimes, and frankly you can get the exact same type of shit elsewhere without the sex crimes so why do you care about him?
>>
>>79020691
>>Zak calls out shitty people
>>anonymous shit posting about Zak begins
>>
>>79021483
these day's i don't really
>>
>>79021483
Sex crimes are cool actually
>>
>>79021501

>olivia hill would go anonymous and not scream all day on her TL about how shes being harassed by zak for the patreonbucks

he popped up on the news because he just lost two big lawsuits.
>>
>>79021483
>>sex crimes
You have proof, of course, anon? You have no agenda, do you?
>>
>>79021455
How dare you say that Zak is anything like us? In his or his lawyers own words.
>Plaintiff Zak Smith is an artist. He graduated with a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts from The Cooper Union and a Masters in Fine Arts from Yale University.
>7. Mr. Smith’s art has been displayed in venerable museums and galleries. Mr. Smith’s art is also in the Museum of Modern Art’s permanent collection, the Whitney Museum, the Walker Art Center, and the Saatchi Gallery.* Mr. Smith also published several books that feature his art.
>8. Beginning in 2010, Mr. Smith expanded his artistic endeavors into developing/authoring tabletop role-playing games (“RPG”), for which he has won multiple prestigious awards.
*Museums will accept donated original art from artists just to have it on file in case they become famous later. It's not a mark of quality. Most graduates from art programs have a work in the permanent collection of a museum or two, stored in a filing cabinet in the archives. For the cost of one file folder, the museum gets to hedge their bets on the next Picasso.
>>
File: whee.jpg (29 KB, 628x402)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>79021782
Are you artists? No. Do you have work in the permanent collection of museums and galleries? Probably, if you went to art school and did anything with your degree. Have you won multiple prestigious awards?

Did you pay your lawyer to put all this in your filing, despite the fact that it serves no purpose, and may actually harm your chances thanks to the extremely strict word count and page limit?

How dare you say that Zak is a person like us? That's legally actionable. It doesn't matter if he has to lose two lawsuits or two hundred, he will keep on trying (until daddy's money runs out).
>>
>>79021782
is his art any good or is it cavegirl tier or whatever that other one is called?
>>
>>79021842
Ok then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kHB2fWUS8
>>
anyone play d&d here? got another game this weekend, my players are digging out an old crypt with a shortcut to the underworld. should be fun, or they'll dig too deep and die terribly.
>>
>>78977674
Buzzwords, buzzwords and more buzzwords.
>>
File: have you tried not.jpg (79 KB, 831x445)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>79022051
have you tried not playing D&D
>>
>>78967371
don't you think its a bit video gamey to always have it be in the same room? I agree with the idea, just not that particular method. Shuffle the encounters. rooms that were empty before got new dudes while rooms that had encounters last time might be empty... or trapped.
>>
>>79022190
Yes - I do: you are right. I wouldn't have a new encounter "spawn" in exactly the same place. You better articulate the thinking I had than I did, if I read your post right: having an organic restocking process both varies experiences and balances return trips versus classic delves.
>>
>>79021592
Bless you for believing there's only one failure of a person heavily invested in using the zak is bad meme to boost themselves
>>
>>79004433
It's honestly because people worldbuild completely wrong. They do it honestly like a world is lego bricks and they are gray-scale colorblind. So you end up with random bits of reality mixed together without thought. So nothing makes sense, everything kind of contradicts part of the world and players instinctively understand it's just a playground of random toys to use and break. No consequences, no logic, no player investment. They need to build from some philosophical core and with a scope that matches the kind of game they want to run.

But doing it right requires not just game knowledge, but writing, GMing and life experience that most will never have. Most of the famous DMs don't understand how to worldbuild. Matt Mercer has a bunch of disjoint set pieces and pushes the story along in a world that's clearly vacuous besides a handful of shops and critical NPCs. His world is just designed for his PCs to go through personal stories, it's not to be explored. Arcadum just shoehorns in stories and real world things in a quick shameless way. Brennan just makes a real world concept DnD style without thinking of how that'd actually work or how NPCs might actually think. Matt Colville pushes for using what is already made in a a'la cart style. Even WoTC makes rather crude worldbuilding that is mainly about mechanics and not actual verisimilitude. When these are the people showing new players "how it is done", there really isn't much to say about why they make shallow non-sense worlds.
>>
>>79021865
king missile has some pretty good gems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJU-S8T0-k
a while back got banned by greaser for innocuously posting this song on the bad OSR discord
>>
>>79019920
Ability scores in the wrong order and saving throws don't go on your sheet if the year is 1974.
>>
>>79021456
My ASE game has goblin opiates made from crystallized brain tissue of their hiveminds. Smoking it links your brain up with the hivemind and lets you experience all the many sensations of all the goblins linked to it. Heavy usage eventually twists your body into that of a goblin.
>>
>>79021483
I feel like he's a pretty talented rapist though, Maze and R&PL were both pretty good. I think the latter would probably work better than the former, but Maze had some great usability decisions that I still wish caught on more (like having the dungeon be colour coded)
>>
>>79020065
I think Zak was in the shed at least a year or two before Dipshit Dan; people outside of /wfrpg/ didn't start hating him en masses until recently. Not that it's honestly a big loss,but he only good thing about Zweihander is the art, imo. You're better off playing Renaissance Deluxe if you want a percentile based early modern dark fantasy game.

Or run LotFP. It's certainly lethal enough.
>>
>>79021483
>sex crimes
Where are the criminal indictments?
>>
>>79020065
>Daniel Fox
Literally, in the literal sense, whomst?
>>
>>79020423
He's very annoying to listen to and his definition of gonzo is too ambiguous (like most gonzofags), but I agree with him about consistency.
>>
>>79024772
The guy who made Zweihander, a WFRP clone, back when it looked like GW had killed it for good. Notorious for being a thin-skinned scumbag who hides behind being "woke", the WFRP community hates him for buying and nuking legacy forums with literal decades of discussion to try and memory-hole older editions of WFRP, and mass purchasing his own books to juice their position on the best-sellers chart. The greater community hates him for trying to lead various anti-piracy campaigns, with varying levels of success which has lead to the shutdowns of various high quality troves.

tl;dr: imagine if Raggi bought out and closed Dragonsfoot to try and drive players to buy LotFP, all while smugly lecturing you about queer PoC representation in gaming. That'd be the OSR version of Fox.
>>
Zak? More like- Quak!
AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>79020705
lol
>>
>>79025236
And at the same time going on places like 4chan and saying that Zweihander would be redpilled. By which he meant there would be lots of rape, even for monsters which didn't do it before in Warhammer.
>>
>>79021456
>system agnostic
>for a thing that needs 1 sentence of rules
Go roll up 20 psychic powers from Metamorphica, then think of a downside/side effect for each. Those are your 20 drugs.
>>
>>79023590
Maze is a few good ideas to pull out and use elsewhere. As a total unit its bullshit. Red&P is similar but at least a bit more cohesively linked. Still statted for his 5e homebrew so not even a bit osr.
>>
>read Z*k's blog because I want the juicy WoD drama
>feel like I've contracted mental illness
I'm sickened that I was able to figure what a SWERF is.
>>
>>79025463
I unironically look forward to the eventual /r Hobby Drama masterpost that compiles Zaks slide into ignominy.
>>
>>78999334
I know what “putting in more than you get out of it” feels like, I was feeling this recently with my group.
I decided that I needed to split my fiddling with OSR shit into two categories:
> stuff for my own enjoyment, which I might use someday but is not on a timetable
> actual prep for the current game, which is “done” for a while until they go somewhere new, because they move at a glacial pace
I dunno, but this let me make peace with it and I e been enjoying the actual game as played more now that I lowered my expectations. They enjoy the game but it’s primarily an excuse to socialize, half the players seem to fucking lack object permanence with how much things have to be re explained... so fuck it, it’s beer and pretzels gaming that uses a small portion of my time and energy, and if I want to fiddle with prep on my own, that’s a different thing entirely.
One thing I recommend to you is to let them take the heavy lifting in terms of “are we playing, when are we playing”, because it just makes things worse if you feel like a babysitter or party planner.
I have the next session ready for whenever it happens, and it’s out of sight out of mind. Meanwhile my “extra” prep is just for my own edification.
>>
>>79024772
You must be new. Daniel Fox is a huge POS. The main reason why is he quit his real job and relies on elf games to pay his bills. No underhanded market manipulation or outright lie I beyond him to promote his shitty game. I dislike him him for launching a DMCA Takedown (sounds like a wrestling move) crusade against multiple troves. Wiping out years of work and thousands of other files because they contained his shitty game. Also he actively manipulates DrivethruRPGs algorithms so his shitty game appears at the top of the OSR categories.
>>
>>79026915
At least games like Renaissance Deluxe and Mythras exist, so I'm not stuck with Zwei as the sole non-WFRP d100 semi-historical dark fantasy game.
>>
>>79021766
Fuck off, Zak
>>
>>79026915
>>79025236
Oh, the Zweihander(R) Grim and Perilous(TM) guy.
>>
>>79007995
>piqued
>>
>>79028187
Seethe more, seethe harder
>>
>>79028246
>Zweihander
You didn’t pay a licensing fee and typed that here!? Now Daniel is coming to fuck us all!
>>
Has anyone just played a session strictly by using wandering monster Tables? Would that be fun for players?
>>
>>79028187
Sethe harder troon
>>
>>79029550
LEGALLY ACTIONABLE
>>
>>79017914
Yeah that's where I was heading next with it. Their xp progression is considerably slower than fighters and they get more attacks per round slower as well. Honestly stuck how I want to do rage as I was considering a round spent trying to rage with a save to see if it works. Also some limit on how often you can rage, seems exhausting to be using this multiple days in a row.
>>
>>79026074
False patrick had a fairly cohesive record for a while but I think he checked out after the zak vs whoeverthefuck round 999.
>>
>>79029498
I use them strictly every time we play, but do you mean only wandering encounters, no keyed encounters?
>>
>>79017713
Barbarian is a starting subtype for the fighting man class it has less weapon and armour proficiency’s but more outdoorsman skills
Berserker is a prestige title for the fighting man class it allows the character to enter a rage
>>
>>79026915
Nothing you’ve said here sounds objectionable
>>
File: Danny boy.jpg (120 KB, 1079x749)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>79031325
Hi Daniel!
>>
>>79031398
Ah the fear grimace and overly excited “I’m having fun” photo pose, short beard, the glasses, the rainbow ampersand tshirt. 100% pure wokester soi.
>>
>>79031325
Yeah Daniel deleting troves of abandonware, rare out of print 70s and 80d RPGs keeps Zweihander safe from piracy!
>>
>>79031398
They can not be trade marked.
>>
>>79031398
Why does every guy who insist on gritty hardcore gorey RPGs where you go down from one hit and die of sepsis a week later look like this?
>>
>>79031817
They never developed emotionally into adults. They're permanent children.
>>
>>79025463

>zak posting obvious big business bullshit about executives running his books

I bet he thinks Nintendo executives play their own games too
>>
>>79031398
I became a lot happier when I realised that the 2 or 3 things I actually like about Zwei / Zakshit could easily just be stolen and ported to the systems I run that aren't financially supporting an obnoxious parasite with bad hair
>>
>>79019889
>Zak hasn't mattered since about 2017 when he forgot to log out of one of his sockpuppet accounts and the mask fell off.
You've got to stop repeating that, it's well known at this point that the SApplecline account was Mandy. Zak ironically just didn't want to rat on his girlfriend.
>>
>>79031398
>For his propaganda
Freudian slip there?
>>
File: OIP (5).jpg (91 KB, 474x672)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
This looks based as hell. Why can't I find any roll20 games of it?

It's literally Dark Souls for tabletop
>>
File: 3ef.png (462 KB, 680x564)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
>>79033773
poor bait anon, here's a (You) for trying though
>>
>>79033773
Because its not good.
You don't need a specific system to run an edgy OSR while playing heavy metal as background music.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.