[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1617287732871.jpg (122 KB, 449x604)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>GM wants to try low fantasy because he wants something that focuses more on humans and roleplaying rather than anime superpowers
>we play as random adventurers once again, except we kill more random animals and bandits than monsters now, you have more random chances of losing characters to things outside of your control and NPCs are constantly out to get you

You dont do this, right?
>>
>>78549985
>You dont do this, right?
Post barely parsable run-on sentences? I try not to.
>>
>>78549985
>GM wants to try low fantasy
I demand the GM defines low fantasy or can at least list 5 examples of low fantasy. If they can't do so and we have good rapport, I tell them to get their head out of their ass and redefine their terms. If we don't have a rapport, I leave.
>>
>>78550120
Generally Arthurian legends are the paradigm regarding what’s considered low fantasy, anon.
>>
>>78550173
Yeah but does the GM know that? A lot of people confuse high/low fantasy with high/low magic or have fucked up views that low fantasy is just high fantasy with a patina of grime and grit.
>>
>>78549985
I do it because I'm the GM and I've been running the table for the same group of friends for 8 years now. We all have fun. Keep seething silly bait threads on a kazakh eagle taming forum.
>>
>>78549985
Your GM is retarded for thinking that low fantasy is the only way to put more focus on humans and roleplaying.
Your GM is double retarded for thinking that it's the fault of the super powers that his players don't want to focus on the things he wants to highlight.
Your GM is triple retarded for thinking that super powers can be inherently "anime."
Your GM is turbo-level retarded if he thinks a higher focus on roleplaying is achieved by just reskinning his monsters as animals and bandits, without doing anything else to try to engage or immerse his players.
Your GM is mega-retarded if he thinks higher lethality and unwarranted aggression towards the player characters will achieve a higher focus on roleplaying on their own, without any sort of nuance or reasoning to back them up.
I feel like this is incredibly biased and purposefully leaving out context to vilify the GM, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
And if this is a false flag to make people who enjoy human-centric games look bad, given the climate of threads lately, you're even more of a retard than you're trying to make your GM look.
>>
>>78550120
>I demand the GM defines low fantasy
fantasy in human-dominated worlds where magic is relatively rare or nonexistent and morality usually isn't black and white
>can at least list 5 examples of low fantasy
conan, early berserk, the witcher, gormenghast, dwarf fortress, book of the new sun, asoiaf, warhammer fantasy, stone dance of the chameleon, baron munchausen
>>
>>78551336
>antasy in human-dominated worlds where magic is relatively rare or nonexistent and morality usually isn't black and white
Completely wrong.
>conan, early berserk, the witcher, gormenghast, dwarf fortress, book of the new sun, asoiaf, warhammer fantasy, stone dance of the chameleon, baron munchausen
The only correct example is Conan.

This is why I demand a definition because, as said here >>78550281, most GMs are uncultured swine who couldn't tell the difference between Low Fantasy and "gritty" High Fantasy if you clearly labelled the two.
>>
>>78551336
>witcher
actually high-fantasy with a dark coat of paint. Casters are a solid part of society, you have dwarves and occasional elves running around in human villages, monsters are a daily occurance and the entirety of humanity in the setting was isekai'd there
>>
>>78551380
The only point you made which has any bearing on whether it is high or low fantasy is
> the entirety of humanity in the setting was isekai'd there
>>
>>78551418
meant for >>78551398
>>
All of my games involve pirates, politiking, and powered aircraft.
>>
>>78551336
Nope. Low fantasy is any fantasy which, admitting fantastical elements, could fit into the history of the earth or be accepted as an alternate history. Typical examples are Conan, set in an alternative history of the world; Arthurian Legends, set in fantasy England; Tolkien's Middle Earth, intended as an alternative creation myth and history of the world; and the Greek mythos, which is an alternate creation myth of the world.
>>
>>78551398
Actually, what makes the Witcher high fantasy is that the primary setting of the saga isn't Earth. The humans do come from Earth though, and there have been Arthurian crossovers. If the Conjunction of the Spheres happened in such a way that all the fantasy races became invasive species in the Human world, rather than the humans and other fantasy species becoming invasive species in the Elder world, then it would be Low fantasy.
>>
>>78549985
I do whatever I want you fucking nigger
>>
>>78551549
>and there have been Arthurian crossovers
Lord of the Rings has been written in the Witcher Universe in a completely different context.
It's the single most overt reference in any of the games to the point where it's a bonding moment between Iorveth and Geralt.
>>
>>78551946
I mean in the literature Ciri literally teleports to England and meets Lancelot.
>>
>>78551579
>i do whatever i want
isnt this just the default state of things? what motivated yout to write such an offended-sounding reply?
>>
>>78551549
>it's low fantasy when it takes place on not!Earth
Could this be the lowest IQ take on low fantasy yet?
>>
>>78552003
It's the literal definition of low fantasy. See >>78551501, the sole descriptor for low fantasy is that it takes place primarily on Earth.
>>
Tight, I love a "/tg/ rejects the definition of low fantasy and instead uses one they made up," thread. Peak traditional games.
>>
>>78552647
Which definition are you referring to? No one outside /tg/ makes the equivalence of low fantasy with low magic and human dominance.
>>
>>78550646
Based and same
>>
>>78552647
The literary definition is useless, and therefore, is safely discarded.
>>
Let's be honest, is there anything more pathetic then low fantasy fags?

People will commonly attribute "low fantasy" or "low magic/low power" settings as being mature, intelligent, or more meaningful then other types of settings. Not only is this sentiment dripping with the same type of smug, self righteous pretentious energy as "humans only" fags, but it's not even objectively right. Low fantasy is inherently about the struggles of mud people in mud streams, fighting over minor causes or Gods that "aren't actually real lmao what a tweest!", they aren't about heroism or overcoming great obstacles. High fantasy allows for everything low fantasy alllows for, and so much more. Not only can you have the high stakes, highly lethal sort of adventure in high fantasy (from low level/early characters struggling against the greater forces of the world), but you can grow that scope to soon encompass an entire campaign setting, or yes, even a multiverse to fight for. The ultimate Good and Evil showdown is inherently more memorable and creative then the "slit the enemy warlord's throat while he sleeps" bit of drek that a "clever" low fantasy player might relish as part of his grime simulator. As though the most simplistic, anticlimatic solutions somehow improves the game- they do not. You just think they do, because you have zero imagination.

That's the rub- low fantasy lovers are luddites for fantasy. Haters of anything not in the familiar and not in the spirit of their own pessimism. Not just about the world at large, but human nature, which is less excusable. What a pathetic excuse for a person, who is both uncapable of and unwilling to suspend their disbelief for one second to experience the sheer bliss of childlike wonder. No, they're too "mature" and "grown up" for that. I can truly say I have nothing but pity for the low fantasytards.
>>
>>78552722
The definition that includes fucking warhammer fantasy, GoT, and the Witcher.
>>78552802
>the actual definition is useless! The good definition is my vaguely defined concept! It *FEELS* like low fantasy!

Never change bud.
>>
>>78552821
>Low fantasy is inherently about the struggles of mud people in mud streams, fighting over minor causes or Gods that "aren't actually real lmao what a tweest!"
Gawain and the Green Knight, mud people in mud streams.
Lancelot cucking his liege, mud people in mud streams.
St George and the dragon, mud people in mud streams.
>>
>>78552884
There is no point in replying to stale pasta, bud.
>>
>>78551336
Witcher is a high fantasy but it's not noblebright.

Regular people who aren't even mages can literally curse people in universe just by the power of their grudge alone
>>
>>78553563
>Regular people who aren't even mages can literally curse people in universe just by the power of their grudge alone
Which is analogous to many Eastern European fairy tales, which are low fantasy. The Witcher is high fantasy but it has literally nothing to do with the level of magic or the ubiquitous nature of magic.
>>
>>78551336
>warhammer fantasy
>dwarf fortress
>the witcher
>>>low fantasy
you're a fucking retard
>>
>>78552033
>It's the literal definition of low fantasy
It's literally not. There is no commonly accepted definition for "low" and "high" fantasy, which is why these discussions persist.
>>
>>78553890
Yes, there is, and no amount of lying and claiming otherwise will make it less true, bud.
>>
>>78553890
Yes there is, you uneducated swine. Just because you're too lazy to actually look up the definition does not mean that one does not exist.
>>
>>78550173
Did those include a Green Guy who could get decapitated and keep going?
>>
>>78553990
What about this is difficult to understand? It's a tale set in Fantasy England. Ergo, it is low fantasy.
>>
File: the empire.jpg (422 KB, 1680x1050)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>78552864
>warhammer fantasy
>low fantasy
Where did this meme come from?
>>
>>78553890
Based
>>
>>78554030
Because despite arguments to the contrary people think of low fantasy as being about mud and dirt.
>>
>>78551549
You are using very old and originalist definitions despite the fact that the language has moved on past them. Do you still use thorn to represent the "th" sound in writing too?
>>
>>78554662
>You are using very old and originalist definitions
1980s is very old now? In fact, language has moved on past the low/high dichotomy and we have many subgenres including dark, grimdark, hard, soft, science-fantasy, sword and sorcery, sword and sandal, weird west, supernatural fiction, the list goes on. Despite this advancement in the categorization of Fantasy, no one has elaborated on the distinction between high fantasy and low fantasy.

Try again.
>>
>>78551336
Nice b8 m8

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.