[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1617696044165.jpg (25 KB, 336x329)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
what was the last time you played something or ran something that actually felt like it was something new, unique and fun to explore?
>>
File: Golden age.png (1.35 MB, 990x573)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
Why does it need to be unique and never seen before? Would you accept a batshit crazy setting if it was "different?"
>>
>>78549522
The only thing you should care about is the last part.
>>
>>78549522
My current game. And also the one before that. And also my other current game. And a few of the recent one-shots also.
I'm blessed with two very cool GMs.
>game #1 started with me and another player being pulled out of stasis pods in a defunct cold-storage bunker by the third party member. Group was basically three more-or-less directionless zombies trying to survive in the apocalypse.
>campaign ended with us dodging the reentry of an orbital megastructure and founding a fledgling city state of other 'survivors'

>had a one-shot where I was playing the caretaker AI in a stasis simulation, the other players were ignorant of the situation and my objectives were to
>keep them safe
>keep them from figuring out they were in a simulation
>either help them or keep them from escaping (them getting away was the Good End, but would doom my character to deletion)
>spent the entire game waging a shadow war against the sysadmin and tech glitches. Players didn't 100% figure out I was an AI until I fessed up just before ejecting them from the sim. Got to live anyway because we completed the hidden objectives that resulted in my character being downloaded into the physical body of her first charge, who the admin had erased some time prior

>game #3, current game
>playing a zombie who doesn't know that the world around them is a massive terrarium made by a necromancer obsessed with history. Believes they live in the middle of the industrial revolution.
>two other characters are from the outside and don't know how they got in.
>At least one of them has been alive since the dawn of the apocalypse
It recently came to light that an NPC we've been fighting with may be a product of the same necromancer as my character. They were part of a still-life dedicated to a particular Japanese monster (the woman who's just a head and organs, I forget what they're called) before her and her two sisters all suddenly became cognizant and just sort of got up and left.
>>
>>78549522
Naxos.
>>
>>78550903
>Japanese monster (the woman who's just a head and organs, I forget what they're called)
That's from Southeast Asia, a penanggalan/kuyang/palasik. Maybe you misheard Javanese?
>>
>>78550903
Holy shit.

>>78549522
I'm too drunk to answer now but when I sober up tommorow I'll get back to you about a game I'm a part of if the thread is still up.
>>
Dirt 4
>>
>>78553776
>Dirt 4

What is that?
Tell us about it.
>>
>>78549522
This OP image puts a smile on my face.
>>
File: penanggalan-03.jpg (31 KB, 481x359)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>78553090
Now that you mention it, I think the DM corrected me some time back and I forgot.
The only exposure I've had to the creature in question is through Kingdoms of Amalur, where they show up as a generic enemy, and some Asian horror game which I assumed was Japanese but was likely Chinese or Korean and I just forgot. Looking up your names for them, I even found the art he used to generate her token.
>>
>>78549522
Never, since it was never my goal. I'm doing this shit for 16 years and always the whole appeal was to pick a cliche and just go with it.
Cue people taking it for original (in sense of new concept) character anyway.
>>
>>78549522
Ultraviolet Grassland. I still am not sure I ran it properly, but man, it was a breath of fresh air in the rotting, stinking pile of same old crap recycled, hacked and tweaked ad absurdum.
>>
>>78550903
>>78556808
>>78554435

How do you find your groups. I haven't had a good online group since 2015.

>Ultraviolet Grassland
&
>Dirt4

What is it?
Tell us about your game?
>>
>>78556878
UVG is an Oregon-trail rpg taking place in surreal world. Also cats. Plenty of cats.

Also: not that Anon, but Dirt 4 is a video game.
>>
File: Maxresdefault(8).jpg (70 KB, 680x440)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>78550903

>Game 2
How do you stay in character when your character knows so much more than the other PCs and you know so much more than the other players?

>Game 3
How do you stay in character when you know so much more about the plot than your character does?
>>
>>78556923
Like Lions or like domestic housecats?

Is this a video game or a ttrpg?
>>
>>78549522
I'm running a game that takes place in a fantasy !not new york setting
In the 80s
The players are all some flavor of bard and they're a punk rock band
It's a lot of fun to run. It's following this bands rise to greatness with some more fantastical subplots thrown in. Their most recent exploit is discovering that the city's Avon mlm analog is run by the demon prince of greed.
>>
>>78557914
>Their most recent exploit is discovering that the city's Avon mlm analog is run by the demon prince of greed.

Tell us more.
>>
>>78556984
Some men grant mercy on their deep and complex personal moral code.
Some cats simply spare those that can be milked.
>>
>>78549554
>how to train your dragon
fucking awesome
>>
File: Forge cleric.jpg (30 KB, 746x678)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>78558381
True.
Doesn't answer my questions though.
>>
>>78549554
What's this from?
>>
>>78549522
Current evil campaign.

I've been having tons of fun playing a bubbly selfish genius who just wants to commit crimes against nature and humanity and understands how kindness, seeming to care, and being genuinely helpful will help any human monster get ahead in life and realize his or her dreams.
>>
>>78556984
>Game 2
It helped that the GM also kept me in the dark on a couple of things, like how there were still data ghosts of the deleted characters hanging around and that part of the issue with the sim was that my character herself was fragmenting due to being active for too long. So a lot of the times something odd happened, I was just as surprised as the other players... I just had to lie my ass off as to why, because I had a look under the hood as to why certain things went wrong [e.g. an unknown user forcing a command, sysadmin blocking my access for stuff, things appearing where they shouldn't). It was helped by the fact it was an online game and we do our roleplay in text chat, so there was a degree of separation that makes it easier to formulate sensible lies/not sound like you're talking out of your ass.

>Game 3
I have access to pretty much the same information as my character, she's just in denial/not in a position any reasonable person would accept complete destruction of their worldview. I keep in character the same way an author has to keep in character when they're writing someone who has to act with incomplete information/a limited perspective.

>>78556878
I've known most of my group as longtime online friends for almost a decade now [and one player IRL since 7th grade]. The GM for game 3 approached me while storytiming game 1 a while back and asked if I'd be interested in joining another game, I said yes, and then it turned out the players he wanted to invite weren't available. I invited the GM for game 1 and my IRL friend to play and then away we went.
>>
>>78550903
>>78559438
Nech chad, I kneel.
>>
>>78558833
http://cascadestudios.co.uk/goldenage/downloads.html
Free rpg based off of a podcast.
>>
>>78559619
Thank you?
I'm not sure I understand though. Why kneel?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.