[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 119876293.png (202 KB, 520x563)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
Welcome to the Old School Renaissance General, the thread dedicated to TSR-era D&D, derived systems, and compatible content.

Broadly, OSR games encourage a tonal and mechanical fidelity to Dungeons & Dragons as played in the game's first decade - less emphasis on linear adventures and overarching meta-plots and a greater emphasis on player agency.

If you are new to the OSR, welcome! Ask us whatever you're curious about. We'll be happy to help you get started on this playstyle.

>Troves, Resources, Blogs, etc:
http://pastebin.com/9fzM6128

>Previous thread:
>>78447135

>Need a starter dungeon? Here's a curated collection:
https://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/75631028/#75663784

>Being called a FOE (False OSR Enthusiast)?
Report, hide, and ignore. Don't give those people (You)s - but likewise be mindful of whether you deserve it or not.

TQ
Do your PCs get infected with lycantropy/turned into undead/cursed Beauty and the Beast style? How does it work, mechanically and narratively?
>>
File: 1565043342779.jpg (32 KB, 236x299)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Want to contribute to the thread but don't know where to start? Roll 1d8 (dice+1d8 in the "options" field) on the table below!
Our OC gets archived at osrgcontent.blogspot.com
Tag your post with [OC] to help archive anon find it, please.

>1. Make a spell
>2. Make a monster
>3. Make a dungeon setpiece
>4. Make a wilderness setpiece
>5. Make a magic item
>6. Make a race-as-class
>7. Make a 4-10 room dungeon
>8. Roll 2d8 and combine.
>>
Where can I read about Mystaran Goblins?
>>
What module handles traps the most to your liking?

I'm always kind of annoyed when a module has a trap but it doesn't mention its delivery method or how to disarm it. I was reading the Sinister Stone of Sakkara and despite its fortress having more than half of the book dedicated to fleshing it out, the dungeon key pulls shit like that.
>>
>>78531523
Not sure about specific games but this book might be of help to you.
>>
File: image.jpg (3.3 MB, 4032x3024)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
Found this in my attic
>>
File: Dragon's Ransom cover art.jpg (4.24 MB, 2123x2318)
4.24 MB
4.24 MB JPG
>>78532794
straight and cropped
>>
>>78527013
I think they just released a new book on magic items. A look at their twitter shows them just advertising their super hero game.

Weird how they don't really update the website much though. Dead maybe, life support definitely. disappointing.

However, I wholeheartedly recommend Capital on the Borderlands for anybody that wants a city with a lot of detail.
>>
>>78532794
>>78533583
>reverse dungeon crawl solitaire
What's this like, exactly? Can you show more of it, please, anon?
>>
>>78531311
GAZ10: Orcs of Thar
>>
>>78532794
>>78533583
Nice, don't think I've ever seen this particular Caldwell before.
>>
>>78533929
The creator is currently playtesting a second edition, no idea when it'll be done but there is stuff being worked on.
>>
>>78535706
first I heard of that, I think he could communicate better.
>>
>>78535813
Perhaps, but I still think it's in pretty early stages. Autarch has a Patreon he's been putting stuff out on also pretty consistently.
>>
>>78535706
Where'd you get that from? Any idea what 2E would include? ACKS is already pretty complete.
>>
>>78534704
It’s a choose your own adventure book my young friend.
>>
>>78533929
Their Discord is pretty active.
>>
>>78536093
A lot of the stuff is just collecting the various Axioms and rules updates he's done over the years into the core books. Instead of reading through the core book, then finding out 3 months later that the domain management system was completely revamped like four times in Axioms 3. Some of the more incomplete abstractions getting addressed.
>>
>>78536333
That sounds really good actually
>>
anybody have a good simple ad&d 1e character sheet that i can use as a master character sheet?
>>
Is Lamentations of the flame princess actually fun to play? If not, what should I play instead if I'm bored of never dying in my 5e game? Or should I focus on modifying the pussy out of 5e?
>>
>>78536861
No, B/X, no.
>>
>>78536861
You're better off playing something that supports what you want than putting effort into retraining something that works against your wants at its core. Think of all the stuff that makes 5e soft (short/long rests, hit point inflation, death saves, cantrip spam, overpowered utility spells, etc.), rip them out of the system and examine the cratered remains. Does it seem worthwhile to try and rebuild that?
LotFP is fine. It's B/X with some modifications. The supporting material is really hit and miss though. If you like mechanical depth look at ACKS or AS&SH. Read the OSE SRD before you commit to anything.
>>
>>78536861
LotFP, B/X, Labyrinth Lord, and Basic Fantasy RPG are all great and similar enough to be basically interchangeable. You can't go wrong with any of them.
>>
File: o5r.png (171 KB, 1330x618)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>>78536861
Lamentations of the Flame Princess is just Basic and Expert Dnd but edgy. It was a flash in the pan with some cool adventures tied to it, but thats really kind of it. With that said you can play any of these>>78537406 >>78537548 and have a similar game experience because they are all based on Basic and Expert editions of Dnd.

I recommend new people to try Old School Essentials, OSE, just because of clear presentation and organization of rules. Its extremely convenient to use at the table.
>>
>>78536861
LotFP is pretty much B/X with some excellent tweaks and other more preference based changes (Point based encumbrance, different skill system, only Fighter gets to-hit bonuses, etc) just be aware of the more infamous modules if you ever want to run that.

>>78537716
I don't think the system itself is edgy. Maybe the art if you are a bit sensitive, I guess? The modules definitively go there.
>>
File: lotfp fighter.png (192 KB, 900x619)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>78537871
I guess I was stretching it a bit to say the rules and system itself are edgy, but this kind of commitment to a specific aesthetic is constant in the rulebook. And I would call this aesthetic edgy.
>>
So what's the deal with Troika?
Is it compatible with ose?
I'm asking because I kickstarter 6die6 and as a freebie they're giving out a conversion guide to troika and I was wondering if I could use it with ose or dcc when it comes out
>>
>>78539950
Troika is a system based on Fighting Fantasy, so it has old-school pedigree, but follows different tropes and assumptions compared to OSR or B/X or whatever. The SRD is free.
>>
>>78539950
Fighting Fantasy for arthaus bongs
No
>>
>>78540361
Have you played the game or are you just basing that off of the community
>>
>>78540500
I am basing it off the publisher's blurb and the 3rd party products
If you a want a sincere Fighting Fantasy clone, get Warlock! instead
>>
Thoughts on the 1E Wilderness Survival Guide? Wether as something to incorporate into games or take bits and pieces from
>>
>>78540833
Trash
>>
>>78540833
It's just a bunch of tables to roll to determine how much crap PCs can forage or how prone different terrain conditions make them to diseases interspersed with long (LONG) pointless passages about what is and is not assumed about playing through wilderness travel.
Embodies the worst elements of AD&D design IMO and offers nothing of value to the game that you could not make yourself or find elsewhere in a more effective and streamlined form.
>>
>>78540833
If you need guidance on some edge cases involving the wilderness, like movement and capacity of mule trains, or how many fish you can catch at dusk during the spring, or how fatigued you get in -40 degree weather then it's the book for you. But all that stuff flies in the face of rulings over rules and is basically a tome containing the needless excess 1e is known for.
>>
>>78542004
>or how many fish you can catch at dusk during the spring
...in the mountains, forests, plains, deserts, tundras, or barren landscapes. I think some tables even included altitude but I may be wrong.
>>
>>78542103
Dungeoneer's is a modestly better book because it has more focused information but it's still that 1e excess. I've actually gotten good use out of the mining chapter. I think the difference is that DSG is elucidating an actual fantasy environment, the Underdark, that most games brush up against because of the dungeoneering focus, and WSG is stuff like altitudes and fishing and arctic survival. It's not as universally applicable so it really comes across as far less useful. Or maybe mundane would be a better description.
>>
>>78538164
This was written by a psycho
>>
>>78542398
>Not as universally applicable so it really comes across as far less useful.
In my mind a book like WSG could have actually been really useful if it took a more contemporary "gameplay focused" approach to wilderness adventuring like Beyond the Wall, where wilderness procedures become gameplay experiences by employing things like risk/reward-based decisions and minigame-like dice mechanics—you know, stuff that makes the game engaging and rewarding. Wilderness adventuring is probably going to be something that players do a lot of in AD&D, so having outlined procedures for it could be great. Instead, the WSG just took a bunch of things that people do while out in the wilderness and assigned dice tables to them. "you have an x-in-100 chance of finding food on this terrain in this season during this time of day, you have a y-in-100 chance of encountering this type of plant in these conditions at this time of day," and so on. Just boring fluff that makes it obvious it was churned out for profit, when it could have actually been something good, or at least useful to enrich the game.
>>
File: coc.jpg (36 KB, 600x337)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>78530407
i'm running Caves of Chaos for my new group, but i need it to fit my autistic evolutionarily plausible british mythology pendragon style setting. goblins and orcs and cultists and ogres all work fine, and bugbears have a little bit of historical influence- but i need some replacements for kobolds, gnolls, and especially the hobgoblins that sneak around and steal from the goblins.

the gnolls could be cynocephali or something. the hobgoblins could be a band of brigands but it wouldnt make too much sense, my goblins are extremely dangerous and violent
>>
>>78542876
Not to be all like "ThAt'S tHe PoInT" but Raggi has stated endlessly that his explicit goal for LotFP is to have shock value. The fact that it seems like it was written by a psycho is the intended effect.

Also I don't know how familiar you are with writing copy but it's pretty easy to adopt this sort of voice with little to no effort. A bunch of people more normal than Raggi have written can write more fucked up things no problem.
>>
>>78543025
>evolutionarily plausible
>british mythology
??

Why can't hobgoblins and kobolds just be like brownies or another fey-type thing? Or why can't you just say that they're all different types of fomorians and call it a day? Or just "the beasts of the chaos caves" since acc. to Google many british folk monsters are just called "the beast of [the place they're located]"
>>
>>78543128
the goal is to explain fantasy with plausibility as best as i can

fey don't really exist, but something like a brownie isn't a bad idea at all- though i don't know why they'd be hanging out in groups of 40+. fomorians are a great idea as well! ill definitely look more into that- though they might be a better fit as the main bad guys in my analog ireland.
>>
>>78543128
>>78543213

for example, i want dragons. cool red winged lizard-dog dragons. but they have six limbs. so in order to exist, they would have to be one of three things- an artificial creation, a quadruped or tetrapod that evolved extra limbs (which is extremely unlikely if not impossible), or it would need an entire evolutionary line of hexapodal animals derived from, at the most recent, an ancient lobe-finned fish.

I'm going for the third option and making a bunch of new creatures with six limbs, luckily there are a lot already to choose from in various monster manuals.
>>
>>78543419
>six-legged creatures with wings
>exist no where in nature except for one specific group
Don't be a coward; make your dragons giant insects. Do it, pussy
>>
>>78543058
But it's not shocking, it reads like a fat, greasy liberal grown placid in modern urban society shitting on his ancestors
>>
>>78536333
>Instead of reading through the core book, then finding out 3 months later that the domain management system was completely revamped like four times in Axioms 3.
Niggy what?! I didn't find this out at all! Aaaahhh
>>
>>78543468
yknow ive put so much thought into that i might as well do it at this point
>>
>>78543532
Mercantile Ventures were also rewritten with some decent changes.
>>
File: sad corvus.jpg (50 KB, 348x373)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>78530407
Need your help.
A couple of weeks ago some anon posted a great map of a castle with a bridge in the middle.

Hope you saved it. I'm writing an adventure for that map and it seems I misplaced it.
>>
Man, every time I this thread hate on LotFP, I feel like I'm missing something.

I mean, I get not liking the tone for a game, maybe not having monsters or whatever in the core book, but I never got the vitriol.
>>
>>78544216
I couldn't get into LotFP for the same reason I couldn't get into sotdl.
They tried to make things gross and creepy but it comes across like reading someone's fetishes while they jerk off under the table
>>
>>78544283
Its trying so hard to be 'mature' that it feels even more immature and juvenile.

Plus I've run Tower of the Stargazer, it was fun, but most of Raggi's GM designer notes all over it of out him as That Guy.
>>
File: Dragon_ff1.jpg (116 KB, 759x1000)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>78543419
Dragons are fallen angels. Angels have six limbs, and so do dragons. That's why satan is described as the great dragon in the book of revelation.
>>
>>78543213
>the goal is to explain fantasy with plausibility
Who is going to care about evolutionary theory of dragons? Your players? Your NPCs? Nobody, that's who. You're too busy writing a textbook when you should be prepping game material.
>>
>>78536861
I've run multiple campaigns of LotFP and I really like it as a B/X hack. You really aren't obligated to buy in to the grimdark 17th century horro vibes, the rules are just really clean as a generic D&D
>>
>>78539950
Troika is really fun and I seriously enjoyed running the stock adventure included in the Numinous edition, but it's 100% not DND and 100% not compatible with the OSR
>>
Been updating pixel art of my OSR party. We plan to finally get a permanent place to live to stop inn stays draining our party gold. 8 party members is also a lot. But it's west-marches-esque so that will be good. Slow healing, no clerics, and copper standard really make it a challenge. I was allowed a paladin as an experiment but I don't think paladins are really compatible with the OSR style: the characters are supposed to be semi-amoral treasure hunters, and a paladin might be hunting treasure to give to the church, but the image I am used to is one who slays monsters. I think pallies should have a special XP thing where they get XP for slaying evil monsters, even in campaigns that are usually just gold-for-XP.
>>
>>78542971
Concise mini-games weren't even a design consideration at that time, I think. The mid-80s was geared to simulationism. GURPS was new on the scene, Runequest and CoC had more market share, and there was a lot of heartbreakers with 'improvements' to D&D like Palladium FRPG.
What's even revolutionary in that era? Shadowrun I guess. V:tM, but that's a completely different direction.
Anyway, those books are old school shovelware, and like any piece of shovelware there's probably something useful but ultimately it's a bunch of slick chaff.
>>
>>78534704
It’s just a cyoa book. What do you want to see? Sorry I’m posting from a phone it rotates my images.
>>
When describing a room to a group, is it better to use North, south, east, west directions or front, back, right, left directions, relative to the groups facing in-game?
I believe n,s,e,w would be slightly easier for navigation and mapping, but frb,r,l would be more intuitive and would make getting lost more relevant to the game.
Have you guys got experiences with either of these methods?
>>
>>78544972

I've been wanting to ask you about your copper standard: What game did you use for your base item prices, and did you change any of them?

I was actually thinking of doing a copper standard game using Lamentations' coin standards(1GP=50SP=500CP), but wondering if there's anything else I should be accounting for?
>>
>>78545094
Cardinal directions are better for mapping. Breaks immersion a tiny bit, but helps a lot. "There's a door on the north wall" is fine. "In front of you, a red dragon sits on a pile of gold" is also fine and probably more relevant than the furnishings.
>>
>>78545094
I've tried both, giving cardinal directions (N,S,E,W) to dwarves only in dungeons and to elves only in the wilderness. It makes it a lot easier than directional, enough to become the best class feature of the races. Lately I describe rooms following the walls.
>>
>>78545098
We used a mix of B/X prices and D&D 3.5 prices. So... yeah. Quarterstaves and slings cost 1 sp each so those were our main weapons. As you can see from the pic I finally bought gambesons for my fighters who made it to level 2, so they at least have cloth armor which cost em 10 gold I believe. Party treasury is around 500gp right now but that's just the liquid assets. Would have sprung for chainmail but that's secondary after getting ourselves a home base.
>>
>>78545094
If they have a compass they get cardinal directions.
otherwise they just get relative positions.
>>
>>78545094
I do cardinal directions just because it's faster to describe and for players to map. These days I don't want any ambiguity for whoever is doing the mapping. As a DM, I don't like players sinking time into making sure the map is correct
>>
>>78530407
How the fuck are we supposed to deal with the local vampire lord and his 1000 skeletons in full harness
Not to mention shit like the thick mist that surrounds his armies or his shadowy black set of full plate that supposedly gives him immunity to sunlight
Should we ally with him or not ? Will our domain even survive if we piss him off ?
>>
File: junji ito frankenstein.jpg (284 KB, 719x1024)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
I wrote a Mad Science system that allows players to invent and create basically anything (with some obstacles). This was a personal challenge as I'm playing in a fairly gonzo game that has want of a system like this. I'm thinking it's FOE.

https://foreignplanets.blogspot.com/2021/04/naively-simple-mad-science-system-for.html?m=0
>>
>>78544216
Success. Raggi did what those that seethe would love to.
>>
>>78544781
relax bud. did you know game prep and world prep aren't mutually exclusive? do you know my players? turn off you autism switch my guy, i didnt ask for you to sperg out over a game.
>>
>>78544781
i shouldnt explain myself to a neckbeard but the npcs and one player /do/ care about it- there's an entire paleontologist class. i'm not stupid enough to make up a bunch of arbitrary shit for a game that isnt gonna be a mechanic
>>
How much do you make plate cost / how hard do you make plate to acquire in general in your games? What about other kinds of armour?

I took a page out of DCC's book (not OSR, I know, whatever) for my B/X game and made all metal armours hard to acquire- you have to find a blacksmith to commission a set of armour from, it costs a much larger amount of money than RAW and you have to wait a few irl days for it to be finished (goes hand in hand with scroll making / magic research.) It feels great, fighters start treating it like a serious investment and growing overly attached to armour they commission in a fond pet sort of way. My players have even started asking for specific "flavor" for their armour, ie heraldry engravings, decorations, and the like as part of roleplaying buying armour that is expensive and not generic. Like turning it into a family heirloom kind of thing.
>>
>>78547897
I separate blacksmiths from armorers. Most small towns and villages will have a blacksmith or two, these people make hinges, nails, and horseshoes. They can also make or fix axe and spear heads, but not much in the way of other weapons and armor. These villages also have tailors to produce gambeson armor (as leather, just a name change) and tanners who can commission a wood and hide shield. Players have to travel to a town to find armorers, fletchers, and bladesmiths. This lets them sink some serious coin into chainmail and plate armor, arrows in meaningful quantity, or swords, respectively. I also have NPCs react to what my players are wearing, entering a small village tavern with a sword on your hip will cause the barkeep to address you as Lord, noticing your wealth. It can also be a detriment, I have had a player get robbed of his metal shield when he passed out at the table!
>>
>>78547791
Yeah it’s FOE but so were psionics which was pretty kino
Overall good job
Also am i a FOE for using runequest/basic roleplaying and attaching old d&d style exploration rules?
>>
>>78530407
how good should infravsion be over longer distances in light free environments
how reliable at all should infravision be at all in total darkness?
>>
>>78547850
>paleontologist class
Please share
>>
>>78548992
Use as RAW.
Predator-vision for up to 60'.
>>
>>78548992
If there are no sources of heat, you should be pretty much blind. But in turn, nobody should be able to hide from you when your infravision is active, unless they have no body heat.
>>
>>78548024
This is modernist bullshit. While I agree the village blacksmith can’t make a suit of full plate they can definitely make repairs. Maybe at the cost of an AC point or something. Askew the notion of modern day skill specialization.
>>
>>78549783
>Askew
ITYM "eschew". As Matthew Quigley demonstrated, spelling matters, and points of grammar can kill.
>>
>>78549812
No one cares but you.
>>
>>78548122
I understand why small "monochrome fantasy" communities like OSR/roguelikes/dungeon synth want to gatekeep their terminology so it isn't completely appropriated by normies (not that I think normies joining are the problem but rather popular trends drowning out niche hobbyists), but at the same time don't let 4chan ruin your brain.

Use whatever's useful and fun for you, we're all HBing some type of retro heartbreaker here. It's enough work without some neckbeard equivalent of being called a poseur becoming part of your inner monologue the entire way.
>>
>>78549783
I never mentioned repairs, you're not playing with armor degradation homerules are you?
>>
>>78549975
>They can also make or fix axe and spear heads, but not much in the way of other weapons and armor.
Fix
>>
File: knight and dragon.jpg (36 KB, 564x349)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
newfag here. used to pathfinder but planning on hosting an ad&d 2e campaign. reading the player's handbook, im failing to notice anything similar to attacks of opportunity, or penalties for shooting a bow when adjacent to someone. am i missing something, or is that just not a thing?
>>
>>78550088
Free attack on a fleeing opponent is the closest thing.
>>
>>78550088
In AD&D there are no attacks of opportunity unless a combatant flees from a melee
It’s assumed that if you’re engaged in melee, you cannot use a bow or other ranged weapon
This idea comes from wargaming, where if an archer group is intercepted by an infantry group, they would be unable to fire their bows
>>
>>78550088
Make it a ruling.
>>
>>78550088
Attacks of opportunity and 'threatened squares' similar to the way 3e uses them are included in later 2e splatbooks but you're better off without such foolishness. An enemy can only realistically fight on one front and should not get a free attack on someone retreating from his rear or flank. A cheap shot on somebody who chooses to turn their back on an opponent that they are locked in melee with is fine, but you can withdraw to avoid this (sacrificing half your movement and ability to attack that round).
>or penalties for shooting a bow when adjacent to someone.
Just standing within 10 feet of someone someone shouldn't stop them from firing a bow. If they are actually being attacked in melee they will have to drop the bow to get their guard up.

There's definately no 'threatened squares' concept.
>>
>>78548122
This is a cute dungeon.
>>
>>78548992
>>78549245
I tend to be more generous: walls, floors, and furniture tend to be cooler than the surrounding air, so in total darkness, an infravision character will have no problem navigating. Additionally, per body heat - heat is just light on a different spectrum, so my justification for why infravision has a maximum range (unlike regular vision) is that the body heat of the character themselves is radiating like a weak infra-torch: the range of infravision is the range to which that heat extends before dispersing. A character cannot read by infravision, though, nor discern visible spectrum colors: so they will still miss certain visual queues without a light source.
>>
>>78549834
I care. I care about grammar and spelling.
>>
>>78551921
Nice try gatekeeper we won’t have any of that here! The OSR is for everyone!
>>
>>78549938
>we're all HBing some type of retro heartbreaker
Speak for yourself, forgefag
>>
>>78536333
>the domain management system was completely revamped like four times in Axioms 3
Is the revamp generally well regarded? I've been looking for a fairly simple, straightforward domain management system to pair with Delta's Book of War
>>
>>78530407
whats the best OSR barbarian-type class?

alternativelly, what are the best rules for berserker rage?
>>
File: mary anning.jpg (1.3 MB, 2445x4096)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>78547850
>there's an entire paleontologist class.
this is fucking based. Do fossils count as treasure? Can a good enough paleontologist bring back dinosaurs?
>>
>>78543419
evolution is just a theory even IRL anon.

lamarckism on the other hand is also a theory, but it could work in your setting. For example, dragons wanted to fly so they end up evolving wings.
>>
>>78552673
A theory means it has been backed up through research and observations which is not the case for lamarckist evolution you goofy-ass sciencelet.
>>
>>78552770
>A theory means it has been backed up
Actually it doesnt mean that, sorry. There are no proof of neither. It just seems to fit more with current thought and it has created an illusion of reliability
>>
>>78552673
>>78552827
Literally the same could be said of gravity
>>
>>78552599
>whats the best OSR barbarian-type class?
Fighter, of course! What is a barbarian but a fighter without a shirt?
>>
>>78552866

>>78553044
yeah, i know, but thats what I specified about berserker rage (Its the only defining trait of barbarians, barring unarmored bonus to ac or whatever)
>>
>>78552100
I wouldn't call it simple or straightforward, though a bit more easy to calculate than the original domain management system. It is pretty well put together though.
>>
>>78553044
What's the incentive for a Fighter to fight unarmored? Mechanically, at least.
>>
>>78553127
>defining traits
maybe for 5e those are the traits, but they need not be for OSR. in my mind if your character snarls and yell and runs forward that roleplaying might be a Barbarian.
>>
>>78550433
just to make sure im getting this right, the opponent you're theoretically withdrawing from can still use half of their movement, and make a melee attack after getting adjacent to you, right? so as long as your opponent has equal or more movement to you, the only ways to truly get out of combat are to a.) withdraw and hope you dodge the free hit b.) have a friend help you out c.) something more creative or having to do with the environment.
>>
>>78547791
This if fucking awesome. Do you mind if I rework this for my alien tech generator?
>>
>>78553765
In combat? None.
Out of combat? Speed, encumbrance, climbing, swimming, ...

And this parallels Appendix N and similar fiction - characters who expect to do battle and can wear armor do - but that doesn't really help someone trying to make a Conan the Destroyer character.

I personally prefer a damage boost (treat them as a berserk so to speak) if in light armor - such that Barbarian would be a glass-cannon type subclass of Fighter - but I've seen other folks give them AC bonuses by level: relying on their inability to leverage magic armor (AC bonus contingent on loincloth) to balance it out.
>>
>>78551954
No it isn't. Piss off
>>
>>78550004
fix /fiks/
verb
1. fasten (something) securely in a particular place or position.
"fix the clamp on a rail"
>>
>>78554106
The damage bonus seems cooler and more versatile that the latter option, although I don't hate it. Do you have any thoughts on temporary hit points when it comes to the barbarian?
>>
>>78550433
Our BX table plays with the attacks of opportunity as a house rule, but only under a few circumstances / limitations
>only 1 attack of opportunity per character per round
>must not be engaged in melee combat with any other enemy and must be facing the same direction as the person they want to AoE
>AoE stops enemies in their tracks if hit
>Retreating blindly at a full speed run opens you up to an AoE
>Spears/polearms AoE at the 10 foot mark- blindly rushing them head on is a bad idea
>>
>>78553765
in DCC it means their fumble roll it gonna be extremely low. so low that no fumble will ever harm or impede them or their allies.
>>
>>78553810
Just checking the 2e PHB now to get my facts straight. Looks like you can only move 1/3 your speed when withdrawing, not half. So yes, you can't get away from any but the slowest of monsters this way.

Also worth a note because it can be easily overlooked, if you flee and allow the monster to get a free attack, it gets its complete attack routine. Claw, claw bite. All of it, not just one hit.
>>
>>78554488
If you want to buff fighters you could even give them more potential attacks of opportunity per round.
>>
>>78550433
>>78554488
>>78554572
Just give fighters a "cleave" ability. Extra damage carries over to an adjacent enemy. Maybe the "shields shall be splintered" house rule too, because that's pretty rad.

You already have rules like fighting withdrawals for "threatened squares", adding more tactical mechanics/rolling to combat is a bad idea IMO.
>>
Dont know if anybody else is using "b/x warrior", but i like it for letting people customize their fighters. it is a little like feats, but theyre all useful and lets you make your guy more of a barbarian or warlord or skald or whatever.
two of my players wanted to go nonstandard (dwarf paladin, halfling brewmaster) in OSE, so using stuff from thatsupplement and some flavor, it got the job done.
>>
>>78555679
It's not on Trove so nah
>>
>>78549834
It makes a pretty big difference jn the context there Mugwhump. I care, violently.
>>
>>78530407
TQ: Mechanically it depends, but the basics are the same. Some attacks have a chance to infect depending on vector of transmission. some things like vamiprism have a really low chance, so its usually a ritual. Usually I always give it a plus a minus and a character trait(s) that has to be implemented. But again, i'm pretty sure thats the norm for most people/
>>
File: Dark souls Archives.jpg (164 KB, 800x815)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>78554488
I never liked attacks of opportunity as a concept because their sole purpose is to encourage everyone to plant their feet to the ground. It's not interesting or immersive. It makes more sense to have opportunity attacks for characters who DON'T move. Which is still ridiculous.
>>
>>78555401
We give X HD fighters ability to roll Xd6 in a round. Any 6 rolled let's them take out a 1 HD or less enemy, provided they are only fighting 1 HD or less enemies.

Also attack of opportunity, FOE or not, is just downright fun and players love it. I see no reason to play without it.
>>
>>78556355
I think its an abstraction of doing something that is NOT focused on the person in front of you. Like running away while casting a firebolt at someone other than the person in front of you.. I really do like 5e's rule of spending your action to not triggers an attack of opportunity. Too bad the action economy is so fucked up that its often a waste of an action.
>>
>>78553967
Absoloutely, I'd love it if you did. Share it in here when you finish, or on the comment section of my blog - or both. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.
>>
>>78544972
Good to see you again Pixel-art Anon, happy to see your still playing.

I can't remember if you talk about this, but why no thieves or halflings?
>>
>>78532729
Are there any other books of traps like Grimtooths?
>>
>>78554106
I've never played OSR, just lurker. Is speed important in OSR for anything beyond running away?
>>
>>78557070
Yes, feet/turn is very important because torches have a duration in turns, Wandering monster checks are rolled based on turns, longer you're underground the more potential hostiles

If you carry too much treasure and get slowed down you might die simply through attrition.
>>
>>78556374
That's pretty cool honestly. Feels very Conan. I'd make it on a 1 instead of a 6 though

I hope you continue having fun with elfgames
>>
>>78556884
Paths Peculier sometimes posts these isometric traps.

https://www.wistedt.net/?s=trap

I have a difficult time parsing them, but they look neat.
>>
>>78554274
They are thematically appropriate to the berserker archetype, but in the absence of other houserules, they might be dangerous in an OSR game. Death At Zero combined with the scarcity of healing means that it would a good deal of times be a pass to fight on just a bit longer before dropping inevitably. Again - fits the theme, though. I should probably write up a barbarian variant...

>>78557579
I would too. 1s slightly favor the roller.
Would guess the 6 is Chainmail inspired.
>>
>>78557151
In practice, do figthers consider this or the common thing is that fighters are clad in metal as soon as money allows it?
>>
File: solo_delver.jpg (345 KB, 986x806)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>78558096
Depends, how many hirelings do you have? Does your DM run mostly megadungeons or small single level things? Does he enforce encumbrance? How many times have you died alone in the dark?
>>
>>78558698
none. I come from cyberpunk hahh
>>
File: Conan vs goblins.jpg (176 KB, 540x667)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>want to share my dozens of dungeons
>worry they're too wordy

If you look a a TSR dungeon description its also mostly blocks of text, is there a better way? I only use most of these once, seems a shame not to share.
>>
>>78558883
share one per thread, let people appreciate it little by ñittel
>>
>>78556804
The DM has no halflings in setting and there are no thieves because he doesn't like what they do to the game. I always said I'd be happy to play a thief that just gets backstab damage in a surprise round or something, or even just stealth which isn't really a player skill thing anyway, but he hasn't been able to make a thief class he likes.
>>
>>78552599
You could run it as a Fighter with armour restrictions but a d10 hit die.
>>
do you guys use miniatures or no? how do you track combat positions?
>>
can somebody please help me figure out what the fuck is going on with 2e combat movement rules?

I am reading the DMG in preparation for my first campaign and just got to the section on combat, and honestly a lot of this is confusing as fuck to me. It starts off simply enough, ten times movement rating in combat, okay. Half movement if a player wants to attack in the same round, okay. Then it gets into charging and retreating and everything goes to shit.

First, charging. the DMG says that if "the defender is using a spear or pole arm weapon and sets it against the charge..., he inflicts double damage on a successful hit." Well that's fucking grand, but what does that mean in terms of an actual combat round? Let's say the players are going first: the fighter charges in and swings, fucking up a goblin. Does the goblin during his half of the round now still get double damage because he has a pole arm? That doesn't make sense, the fighter already charged. If the enemies are going first it makes even less sense. Mr. goblino wants to use his double damage but the fighter hasn't charged yet, so what happens? Does the goblin get double damage in the next round? Or is there an implied attack of opportunity that the book fails to mention?

Second, we have retreat. According to the book, if you want to leave combat, you can withdraw or flee. Withdrawing means a player can only move 1/3rd their normal movement speed, and fleeing is full movement speed but the enemy gets an immediate attack. What does this even mean? The pre-established rules are that a player gets full movement rating in combat unless they are going to attack. So is the idea that if a player is engaged with an enemy they have to now adhere to these rules? What if the player wants to move to attack another enemy? Is it half of their normal movement rating or 1/3rd? What if a player is engaged in ranged combat? Can they only move 1/3rd of their movement speed now?

Someone please fucking help me.
>>
>>78557151
How does this work on parties with multiple players and varying levels of armor? The slowest one decides the rate? How long does it take to put on/off chest plate armor?
>>
>>78554512
Oh so running away is almost always a terrible idea, unless you somehow slow down the enemy?
>>
>>78560468
Not every monster has a thousand attacks. Even if they do, sometimes its still worth getting out while you still can. Other times, though, yeah, you'll have your back up against a wall, in that retreating is a virtually guaranteed death.
>>
File: 1539895143259.jpg (160 KB, 728x1098)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>78560028
AD&D babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>78560028
I would say set polearms vs charge strike first, then charging polearms, then everyone else (I took this from Melee/TFT)
>>
>>78560418
IMO tracking encumbrance, armor weight / move speed is too autistic for me or the people we play with, we only have it affect inventory. Leather armor uses up 3 slots, chainmail 6 slots, plate armour uses up 9 slots. You can wear heavy plate but it severely limits how much you can carry. We're also playing with a to-hit table derived from chainmail though where different weapons have different to-hits against different armor types, so plate isn't just a perfect endgame armor for any situation
>>
>>78559144
Maybe effectively make them a fighter subclass, so that they don't need to be very different? Can only wear light armor and can't use shields or two-handed weapons, but everything else is fair game, and they retain fighter hit points, to-hit progression, and so forth. Toss most of the thief skills, but retain (in some form) stealth, climb walls, and maybe pick locks. Use stealth more for combat applications / sneak right up to somebody to backstab them, so it doesn't stomp on everybody else's toes and by implication, prevent them from being sneaky. Climb walls applies to sheer surfaces without climbing gear, so that shouldn't step on too many toes. Picking locks already seems pretty specialized, and it's reducible to a die roll, regardless, so that shouldn't be a problem, but you could always delineate between simple locks (which anybody can try to pick) and complex ones (which only thieves can pick, or which is a shot in the dark for nonthieves). Have backstab improve as you level, so as to provide a balance against the increasing AC deficit thieves will have (as fighters find magic shields and go from being 5 points of AC better than thieves to 8).
>>
How fast is ACKS character creation?
Is there something considered like a classic hexcrawl?
>>
>>78562600
If you don’t use the skills it’s as fast as BX which is what it’s based on. The skills are only slightly more complex.
>>
>>78552599
>>78559215
Limit armor to leather. Raise hit dice to d10. Give wilderness survival skills (which could be entirely improvised, or they could get the better of two rolls--when you decide to implement rolls--when foraging for food, withstanding the elements, etc).

Battle rage / berserker -- Can only be done when precipitated by an event (anything from an ally dying to you getting hit by an enemy). You tell the DM you are attempting to rage, and the DM decides how triggering the event is, and assigns an X-in-6 chance for you to be able to rage. If you fail, you cannot attempt to rage again in the same battle. If you successfully rage, you are drained and cannot rage again for 2 hours (or just in the next major battle, if you want to be lazy about things). When you enter a rage, you immediately get one free turn to move and make a hand-to-hand attack. You also gain +1 damage for the rest of the battle.

XP progression as a dwarf (slightly elevated fighter costs).
>>
>>78562600
As >>78562640 it's mostly the proficiency system that can be ignored pretty easily. The big time sink is just going through the big list, there's not any crazy combos or stuff like that, once people are familiar with them, it's pretty fast.
>>
>>78558883
Probably somewhere in-between the sparsity of Tegal Manor and Stonehell.
>>
>>78544972
>But it's west-marches-esque
I assume you mean that when sessions happen people can join in at-will? This is honestly my favorite style for play if the circumstances of the campaign allow it, especially when schedules are unable to line up all the time.
Also, does one of those dead fighters have a broom?
>>
What's a lair, lads?
>>
>>78563625
You will find lads at your local elementary school but be prudent and keep your distance.
>>
>>78563625
Zak.
Oh, a lair, sorry. A lair. Dyslexia. A lair is a dwelling, cave, domicile, hoard, nest, or locale where a monster can be found when it's not out doing monster things. As in "the lair of a 44 year old punk art major is a one bedroom apartment in LA above an all night takeaway."
>>
>>78564738
Any method to stock a map with lairs?
>>
>>78558883
Yes. Read Bryce's reviews on tenfootpole. Cut "this room is", "this room used to be", etc. Don't describe boring features. If a room is a kitchen, don't list all the usual kitchen dressing. Let the room's title do some heavy lifting. List contents from most relevant and obvious to least relevant / hidden. Punch up descriptions. Prune ruthlessly.
>>
>>78550088
>penalties for shooting a bow when adjacent to someone
keep reading there are some pretty neat and realistic rules for friendly fire with missiles in the combat chapter. i never understand how in 3e onwards if you shot a bow directly into a corridor filled with orcs, you would just "miss" fuck niggas and fuck you for reading further at this shitty comment.
>>
>>78564738
>%liar
Happens to the best of us grogs, mate.
>>
>>78560028
Having come from 1e to 2e, I thought that the 2e rules were a good modification to the 1e charging rules, but it's eye opening to see that if you started with 2e that the rules don't make sense. Here's what the 1e DMG has to say about charging:
>The steps for encounter and combat are as follows:
>1. Determine if either or both parties are SURPRISED
>2. Determine distance, if unknown, between the parties.
>3. If both parties are unsurprised, or equally surprised, determine INITIATIVE for that round.
>4. Determine the results of whatever actions are decided upon by the party with initiative:
> A. Avoid engagement (flee, slam door, use magic to escape, etc.) if possible.
> B. Attempt to parley.
> C. Await action by other party.
> D. Discharge missiles or magical device attacks or cast spells or turn undead.
> E. Close to striking range, or charge.
> F. Set weapons against possible opponent charge.
> G. Strike blows with weapons, to kill or subdue.
> H. Grapple or hold.
>5. Determine the results of whatever actions are decided upon by the party which lost the initiative (as per A. through H. above).
>6 Continue each melee round by determination of distance, initiative, and action until melee ends due to fleeing, inability to continue, or death of one or both parties.

As you can see above, charging occurs before regular melee combat but after spells/missile discharge. 2e uses a simplified combat round so in 2e terms, charging happens on initiative 0. The party that declares charge in that round can take a charge at initiative 0 and his opponent can choose to set spear against charge before the normal turn.

Yes, the 1e charging rules break 1e's own combat round rules. For players of AD&D 1e this is normal, as 1e breaks its own rules constantly. 2e attempts to streamline and unify the rules, but it's helpful to read the reasoning in 1e. Cont...
>>
>>78566043
>Melee At End of Charge: Initiative is NOT checked at the end of charge movement. The opponent with the longer weapon/reach attacks first. Charging creatures gain +2 on their “to hit” dice if they survive any non-charging or charging opponent attacks which occur first. Weapon length and first strike are detailed under Strike Blows.
> Only one charge move can be made each turn; thus an interval of 9 rounds must take place before a second charge movement can be made.
Here we have a clear explanation that 1e charge actions take place before the regular resolution of melee combat. The target of a charge can choose to act before his whole round to respond to a charge. obviously, from this you can infer that since they chose to set spear against charge, they don't get their regular attack that round.

> the fighter charges in and swings, fucking up a goblin. Does the goblin during his half of the round now still get double damage because he has a pole arm?
So from the above, the charge attempt, the set spear and the double damage retaliation all happen on initiative 0 outside the normal determination of melee combat. All parties involved have thus taken their actions for that round and are unable to make any further actions or movement.
>>
>>78530407
how much should you punish the players for being unprepared with spelunking equipment and supplies?
why do a lot of gm's chicken out in this department
>>
>>78566138
Wow, thank you; this is super helpful. So basically if I've got this right, if somebody decides to charge, the enemy npc can set spears at the same time the player charges, and if the npc has a longer weapon he gets the double damage strike off before the player gets their attack?

Also since you seem to be knowledgeable about this stuff do you have any advice on how to handle the movement rules that I mentioned in my original post?
>>
>>78560028
>ten times movement rating in combat, okay. Half movement if a player wants to attack in the same round, okay

So several factors. First is what 1e has to say about moving in to strike initially:
>Close To Striking Range:
>This merely indicates that the party concerned is moving at base speed to engage the opponent. The base speed is inches, indicating tens of feet in the dungeon or similar setting indoors, tens of yards outdoors. All normal activity and bonuses are permitted when so doing. This action is typically taken when the opponent is over 1” distant but not a long distance away. Play goes to the next round after this, as melee is not possible, although other activity can, of course, take place such as that detailed above
Obviously, this is more restrictive than 2e that allows a melee attempt after closing to engage.

However, in a later section
>Actions During Combat And Similar Time-Important Situations:
which is too long to reproduce here, it can be inferred that if a player wishes to do multiple actions a round then the actions should be broken up into per-segment actions and tallied up to a full round. Thus you could move, drink a potion, and attempt to strike so long as all actions fit within 10 segments of initiative. (best case scenario, you rolled "1" for initial segment of initiative, moved only 1 or 2 segments of distance, drank a potion, and attacked with a dagger). 2e is actually less flexible in this regard as it only gives you one option to strike and move at the same time, and that's only by moving up to half your total distance and striking.
>>
>>78566268
>if somebody decides to charge, the enemy npc can set spears at the same time the player charges, and if the npc has a longer weapon he gets the double damage strike off before the player gets their attack?
yup, exactly.
>>
>>78560028
>Withdrawing means a player can only move 1/3rd their normal movement speed, and fleeing is full movement speed but the enemy gets an immediate attack.
The 1e retreat rules:
>Breaking Off From Melee:
>At such time as any creature decides, it can break off the engagement and flee the melee. To do so, however, allows the opponent a free attack or attack routine. This attack is calculated as if it were a rear attack upon a stunned opponent. When this attack is completed, the retiring/fleeing party may move
away at full movement rate, and unless the opponent pursues and is able to move at a higher rate of speed, the melee is ended and the situation becomes one of encounter avoidance.
The wording is a little different than 2e but I hope it makes sense. The player (or DM if monster) declares their character is fleeing. If engaged in melee, the opponent gets 1 attack ("of opportunity") and then the retreating character may break off melee and take full movement that round.

AD&D combat as a whole takes its cues from wargaming - opponents engaged in melee must fight in melee or disengage and run away, the only exception is spellcasting however spellcasting can be interrupted. Melee discharge is not possible when engaged by an opponent within melee distance. Melee distance in AD&D is 10 feet.

>What if the player wants to move to attack another enemy?
The character must first 1) disengage from melee, which involves a retreat as above, 2) move to his new target and engage, and 3) make an attack routine. From the per-segment movement that I mentioned previously, all of this can be done at cost.
D&D 3e has a lot of bad points, but the terminology "Attack of Opportunity" was created to describe this exact case. Unfortunately, AoO has had the unintended side effect of discouraging all movement in melee because a character could end up receiving multiple AoOs a round, and thus would never want to risk it.
>>
>>78564782
Use the random encounter table. Don't prestock.
>>
Further complicating the issue is this paragraph from the 1e Player's Handbook: (all rules mentioned previously were from the 1e DMG)
>Participants in a melee can opt to attack, parry, fall back, or flee. Attack can be by weapon, bare hands, or grappling. Parrying disallows any return attack that round, but the strength “to hit” bonus is then subtracted from the opponent’s “to hit” dice roll(s), so the character is less likely to be hit. Falling back is a retrograde move facing the opponent(s) and can be used in conjunction with a parry, and opponent creatures are able to follow if not otherwise engaged. Fleeing means as rapid a withdrawal from combat as possible; while it exposes the character to rear attack at the time, subsequent attacks can only be made if the opponent is able to follow the fleeing character at equal or greater speed.

Parrying and Falling back are not given rules in the DMG, but as you can see they are more favorable to the player than taking a melee attack before retreating. 2e gives the player a "Withdraw" option that is 1/3rd total movement and no vulnerability to AoO. The 2e "Withdraw" is a combination of "Parry" and "Fall Back" from 1e.
>>
>>78566429
>>78566511
Bless you anon, seriously. You are a legend; I spent a few hours today trying to find answers to this stuff online but I couldn't find anything, and in minutes you just give me answers to everything.
>>
>>78556425
>I really do like 5e's rule of spending your action to not triggers an attack of opportunity.
Not really functionally different from AD&D's fighting withdrawal. The equivilent of using your full movement in AD&D is using a Dash in 5e (no attack possible), so the disengage action is just bringing back the classic fighting withdrawal, innit?
>>
Finished a cool hex map for my flat earth prison colony game.
>>
>>78566511
>>78560028
So to come back around to your question:
>What if the player wants to move to attack another enemy? Is it half of their normal movement rating or 1/3rd?

This would require adjudication from you as a DM, but I would say that a character that wishes to break off from melee has two options:
1. Withdraw and move 1/3rd of distance to new enemy, no AoO possible, forfeit any further attack actions that round or
2. Flee from initial opponent, take an attack routine against rear, move at full base move to new opponent, and if any segments are left can attempt to attack again if Weapon speed factor is low enough to allow it.
It's all up to you as a DM to what you allow.

Also, there's these neat lines from the 2e PHB:
>If two characters are fighting a single opponent and one of them decides to withdraw, the remaining character can block the advance of the opponent. This is a useful method for getting a seriously injured man out of a combat.
>The fleeing character can be pursued, unless a companion blocks the advance of the enemy.
This means that if a Wizard is engaged in melee, a Fighter can move to engage the same opponent, allowing the wizard to Withdraw from combat safely, and the opponent monster cannot pursue.
>>
>>78566522
Great! I'm glad you found this helpful
>>
>>78566557
Yes and no. While functionally they do the same thing, the vary slightly when you look at the combat system as a whole. In AD&D, fighting withdrawals &c. are discrete options players can choose, whereas 5e has a streamlined system involving actions, bonus actions, movements, and reactions (ok maybe not so streamlined) so the moves that parallel AD&D have different change the other options that are available to the player in combat.
>>
>>78566600
unkeyed as well
>>
>>78534838
>GAZ10: Orcs of Thar
Thanks. It was a fun read. Especially appendix about hygiene in Orc army.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHk42kDwesM
Has u done ur mandatory 3h of dayly priar /osrge/ ?
>>
Is having every hex stocked too much? What is the play experience like? I've got a 10'10 hexmap, that's 100 hexes, that's easy enough to stock.
>>
I wonder if you can run a DCC funnel with a higher level party, say level 3. Think it would be fun?
>>
>>78559864
I use chess pieces on a folding chess board to represent general position as needed. Then different pieces map easily onto themes and the squares can be scaled to represent whatever distance you describe.
Marching order or if the party has time to set up, their descriptions effect combat position and then it changes based on combat activity.
>>
>>78560468
You don't have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than someone else in the party.
>>
>>78560858
Does your inventory load not effect movement speed? Like if you are overloaded?
>>
>>78563625
A miserable pile of 5-7 rooms.
>>
>>78568112
Every hex tends to get to cluttered. Every 1:3 or so works well for what I play and like but I've see anons here advocate 1:6ish.
>>
>>78564782
Simple way to go about it is when stocking a dungeon and rolling a monster for a room, have it be a 1-in-6 chance of being a lair of that kind of monster.
>>
>>78566651
The file name makes me curious. Tell me about the ring of what looks to be desert encasing the setting; and about the mushroom forest?

>>78568112
I tend to aim for 1-in-6 or 2-in-6 for player features: that is, stuff worth exploring. If every hex has something, it discourages exploration - the crawling part of hex crawling. That said, it also depends on scale: if you zoom my map out at 24 miles, I have dozens of features per hex: but I prefer to run at 1 or 6 miles, which pares it down.
>>
>>78559864
If there's confusion about positioning I'll use chess pieces and salt shakers. No board though, I don't want players to think in squares.
>>
>>78566600
Looks cute. How'd you make it?
>>
>>78543419
You could just so what I did and steal from FFXIV, where dragons fled to the planet from a far off star to escape a cataclysmic war, flying through the void on solar winds, and through a combination of magical eugenics and self-will, metamorphosis into various different bodily forms throughout their effectively immortal lives. Or maybe they hatch from the foul miasmic bowels of the mythic underworld, crawling their way up the pillars of the earth to squeeze through the cracks and crags of the world's blighted wastelands.
>>
>>78544216
There was a brief but significant time where LotFP was the FotM and was pushed extra hard, to the exclusion of nearly everything else. It's understandable, since it was one of the first OSR heartbreakers to have an actual budget behind it, and the tone was seen as something very unique and refreshing. Nowadays, though, we're spoiled for choice when it comes to BX heartbreakers, and higher production values are much more the norm. The other big draw, the adventures, also haven't really held up too well beyond a few exceptions. Gameplay-wise they're just okay, and once the novelty wore off they felt less like morbid and thrilling transgressions, and more like some fat ugly nerd was trying to use easy shock value to market his game. And finally, at least on this site, both Raggi and his biggest proponents have all had various falls from grace for one reason or another, which mentally links the game with OSR e-celeb drama in lots of people's minds.

tl;dr: Raggi fucked up and went from prodigy to self parody. Meanwhile, the market moved on.
>>
>>78557622
Im not a phsyics chad or anything, but I don't think the boulder will roll that far if the floor is flat near the door.
>>
File: YKr1caz.jpg (305 KB, 590x914)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
How quick do I re-introduce new characters after the previous one died? I've seen here people saying it should be as fast as possible without overthinking the way how they got there, but I feel like that cheapens both the fabric of the game and the penalty for dying (Specially if you are at level 1 and haven't even gotten the gold out).
Is there a systemized way to handle introducing new characters to an ongoing dungeon crawl? Maybe having to go back to camp and take one of the mercenaries with you? Maybe have special rooms on each floor that might contain a prisoner or a safe room with someone hiding in them?
>>
>>78573255
>I feel like that cheapens both the fabric of the game and the penalty for dying
You're wrong, simple as
>>
>>78573629
>Simple as
>>
>>78573255
It only really cheapens things if you are at level 1 and haven't done anything of importance, and you can't expect anyone in any game to feel too terrible about dying that early. Playing a character with other characters that are even as much as one session ahead often puts you at a disadvantage.
>>
>>78573814
>if you are at level 1 and haven't done anything of importance
Which is when most deaths occur.
>you can't expect anyone in any game to feel too terrible about dying that early.
That's not my concern, really. I meant that it cheapens this "neutral arbiter" stance of the DM. It undermines these mechanics and tables in place to keep the game out of the DM's whims.

>Playing a character with other characters that are even as much as one session ahead often puts you at a disadvantage.
That's not a concern either, having different leveled PCs is expected and fresh characters get leveled up faster when hanging out with higher level parties due to how exp requirements work.
>>
>>78573255
If you're level 1 and someone already died thats your cue to head back to town.
If you're not level 1 then you should have a hireling you can take over. If not you're dumb
>>
>>78573255
It's what henchmen and hirelings are for. You allow the player who lost a PC to continue playing without throwing off the flow of the game. A new PC can be rescued from a prison cell, from captivity, or more likely, they offer to join on returning from the adventure and hearing about the heroics (and wealth) the party has been pulling in.
>>
>>78573951
>>78573961
Hirelings are nice and all but they are not reliable, and most of them will not risk their lives (Morale rolls are a thing). Unless you meant a mercenary, then that's fine, although I can't find rules for graduating these mercenaries into Fighting-Men if the player wants to keep playing as one. They are also basically a worse fighter, which isn't the best thing to play, specially if your frail Magic-User died.

>A new PC can be rescued from a prison cell, from captivity
How long should it take before the new PC is 'rescued'? Is it, as mentioned before, ASAP or should the player control the henchmen for at least a few turns?
My issue isn't how or who they find, it is how to pace it in a way so it doesn't feel like the characters are just free to throw themselves at traps or monsters they find and try to 'win' out of attrition.
>>
File: new_player_ideas.jpg (109 KB, 699x729)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>78573255
>>
>>78574111
I'd honestly make it as fast as the player can roll his new character
>>
File: The_Malagassy_Gate.png (442 KB, 1507x1528)
442 KB
442 KB PNG
>>78570853
I used hex kit! It's inferior to worldographer but worldographer's list of features is intimidating and I suck with art programs.
>>78569343
The ring of desert is the result of Atlanteans pruning the primordial forest to give a fairly safe zone for their ships to land and to sight approaching threats. They've all but abandoned this particular Outer Earth landmass however. The fungus was a holdover from the Floating Continent (What we would think of as Mars, it's where Reptoids are from) that got a foothold there in the trees. It's one big organism and where various freaks and wizards make their home amongst the fairly peaceful but inscrutable mushroom men. Requires pretty specialized equipment by 19th/early 20th century standards to avoid leaving with something growing on you.
The island the hex map is on is a portion of Zerzura. No idea which specific part yet.
>>
>>78548122
People in here are hostile to Runequest but I personally like it more than D&D when it comes to mechanics, you have my blessings if that means anything to you.
>>
>>78575222
Have you tried Hexographer? It's the precursor to Worldographer but I found it easier to use.
>>
>>78569343
https://www.deviantart.com/ohawhewhe/art/The-World-Beyond-the-Ice-Wall-2-0-875422222
This guy did the map I'm using as a basis for this world (It's really cool and he asks that he be credited where it is used. He's doing versions with borders from historical periods to aid worldbuilding too, so seems like a cool dude).
Setting is the New Age of Exploration, in the late 19th/early 20th century, wherein the magic illusion of a round earth has been shattered by an historic Crossing of the Barrier by the British. PCs are residents of a British penal colony in this strange land, full of Blemmyes and Reptoids, Nordic Aliens, Greys and Atlantean Remnants. Axebeaks and dinosaurs!
Really it's an excuse to put all the conspiracy shit I love in one place and have a default D&D setting that's both historical and fantastic. You could put anything you want on any of these continents.
>>
>>78575316
I have not but I sure will give that a good college try just as soon as I am able. Thank you for the recommendation!
>>
>>78575469
>>78575560
I'd love to play in a game like that. What are the Nordics up to?
Have you got stats for the different alien species? I'm always interested in what people do with Greys.
>>
>>78572058
It is weird to think back on how this general used to fucking love LotFP. I don't remember seeing much pushback at all until Blood in the Chocolate, people basically automatically recommended LotFP for anyone asking about a retroclone with some modern amenities, Death Frost Doom as a starting adventure, the encumbrance and skill systems as the best things since sliced bread etc. The only recurrent complaints were about the gross art and the stupid Summon Spell, but anyone actually going after the substance of the adventure and such was very much in the minority.

I don't know if it's that the LotFP scandals have deflated people's enthusiasm for the system, the growing variety in the scene has revealed their products to not be that great after all, more people have actually played the games in question or if the hipsters that used to be here went for greener pastures. Likely it's a combination.
>>
Got a question for folks who DM: how do you handle outdoor combat? By that I mean mainly grid placement. From my understanding, in AD&D outdoor combat is meant to be 1 in = 10 yards, so about 30 ft. I'm curious if people still use individual character markers in outdoors combat, or perhaps a singular marker for a party of characters. Maybe a combination of the two?
>>
>>78574111
Someone made a temporary class just for this purpose
>>
>>78576316
The Nordics are mostly exiles from their home cluster in the aether, the Pleiades, meaning they are the unforgivable criminals and descendants thereof for their species. They are consummate con-men and enjoy toying with what they consider "lesser beings." Agendas vary from Nordic to Nordic but might include becoming a despot or king, fulfillment of base lusts using force or mind control, or other reprehensible things. They might also be morally neutral. Kind of a toss-up!
Greys are a genetically engineered slave-caste meant to perform abductions and harvest blood, eggs/semen and PARTICULARLY orgone energy for consumption by the Reptoids.
There do exist those Greys that conquer their programming and become adventurers. These are rare but spunky little freaks that are a credit to any adventuring party with their near-360 degree field of vision and psionic powers.
>>
>>78577062
Semen as XP. Hah
>>
File: Aeronef.jpg (885 KB, 2400x1800)
885 KB
885 KB JPG
>>78575469
>>78575560
This is very cool. How do you handle travel? Flat-Earth always deals with such huge distances - some of those continents are a globe-earth's circumnavigations distance from one another... UFO's, Aeronef?

>>78577062
I actually wrote classes for those three races - I've been on-and-off trying to write a Mantis or Insectoid race-as-class too. I found I couldn't have Greys as level 1 adventurers, the idea of them dying frequently cheapened their mystery but having them as a slave-race makes it work.
https://foreignplanets.blogspot.com/2020/05/aliens.html
You might find it useful. I'm jealous of your players.
>>
>>78577696
The genetic material harvested goes to horrid genetic experimentation and hybridization efforts to create Reptoid-human amalgams that can pass as human. This is to subtly infiltrate the Inner Earth Ring. If anything orgone energy ITSELF would count for XP to a hypothetical Reptoid party.
>>
>>78559864
I have some simple 3d printed minis and numbered chits I give my players. It's on them to use a one inch grid sheet and move them around just to help them, the same way they map themselves.

>>78576702
Theater of the mind, with a scrap paper to keep relative distance tracked. It's far more important to know who is in range of missile weapons or who is in a melee than exact location.
>>
>>78566265
most shy away for fear of wasted time, i think. people play weekly at the most often, so one wasted session where you go in unprepared and get nothing done until you're forced to withdraw can be a real bummer.
>>
>>78577903
Well, there's T-Craft/UFOs for some. They are exceedingly rare and completely incompatible with human pilots (taking my inspiration from the Jonathan Maberry book The Extinction Machine. GREAT military/sci fi thriller) so you'd have to befriend either a SKY CRIMINAL Nordic, a sinister Reptoid, or a Grey. Or I guess OTHER aliens. But who knows?
There's magic now to speed sea voyages and mitigate risk, but magic can be deadly to those who use it.
Using whitehack, yeah I know, FOEGYG and all that, but its what I think fits for this game and setting. I'm supplementing it with the best rules from Delving Deeper and using Delving Deeper encounter charts modified with creatures of my own design as well. I prefer OD&D inspired shit for the most part.
Haven't got to session 1 yet as I'm preparing the penal colony sandbox key and writing factions and agendas, but, soon. Will keep you guys posted.
VERY good graphic design on them races-as-class aliens there. I'll give them a close read when its not so close to work-time.
>>
>>78577696
>semen as XP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeBaPVwRsE
>>
What Labirynth Lord has that OSE doesn't? Most supplements I see are for LL, what gives?
>>
>>78579476
Labyrinth Lord is older, has more material, and you don't need 75 core books to play it
>>
>>78579476
>>78579516
Price is a legitimate concern, but
>older
>more material
It's just B/X. It's not even a matter of converting stuff, but of the statblocks being formatted a bit differently. For that matter OSE is marginally more accurate to actual B/X mechanics
>>
>>78580186
>It's just B/X.
Can you please point out the page in Moldvay Basic where clerics get 1st-level spells and it requires N,001 XP to level up?
>>
>>78580286
Yeah that's the marginally less accurate part.
>>
>>78580286
I remembered one of those games had the Cleric 1st level spell thing and was betting some pedant would bring it up. I'm not even positive what you're talking about with the XP. I will repeat myself: it's just B/X. I refuse to believe anyone even cares about microscopic differences in one retroclone over another except to fuel stupid skub vs anti-skub arguments, and prescribe playing one (1) session of D&D to cure this affectation
>>
>>78580512
If you knew someone would bring up the fact that you were wrong, why did you still make a factually inaccurate statement?
>>
>>78573255
And tabulated:
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/03/osr-table-of-replacement-pcs.html
>>
File: 1596808345-20200807.png (203 KB, 684x726)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>78580973
>If you knew someone would bring up the fact that you were wrong, why did you still make a factually inaccurate statement?
The internet in a nutshell.
>>
>>78580973
I was luckily not wrong, though. The only statement I made was that Labyrinth Lord was less accurate than OSE, which you confirmed. Still has near-zero bearing on gameplay, though.
>>
What do people think of the now old Basic/Expert Companion and Basic/Expert Adventurers (which is 70% a rehash of a AD&D/OD&D zine)
>>
File: blog flyingterror1.png (30 KB, 800x600)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
What did you work on today, /osrg/?
>>
>>78582652
My players are heading east; and I decided it was high time to add sci fantasy to the mix.

So far I have put in:

>The Great Stag One Page Dungeon for access to space travel

>A crashed bio/greenhouse glass pyramid, a hex crawl within a hex crawl populated by warring radioactively enhanced animals stalked by groundskeeper robots.

>Drop Sight Omega, a bunker now overrun by zombie troopers and a malfunctioning vaccubot

>One surviving uncanny valley Valortech Marine camping out and eating tinned food to the northeast

Hopefully they’ll enjoy it.
>>
>>78582652
Started working on a lightweight d6 system... I guess it's most similar to basic, which I've never played, but I like minimalism. I had a few original ideas for the magic system that I find pretty charming.

But anyway I'm pretty satisfied with what I got down today, and the elegance and simplicity of it all, so far. I'll have to play this solo and see how it goes.
>>
>>78530407
I'm working on designing a wizardry-clone and I'm looking for a rules system that's simple but has static guidelines for the resolution of core issues. I'm not looking for a centralized mechanic moreso I need something that has no ambiguity. Thoughts?
>>
>>78583339
>wizardry-clone
Wizardry as in the crpg?
>>
>>78582943
>>78583339
These posts aren't about OSR
>>
>>78583458
Yessir. I want an OSR****** system to implement. My master plan is to have an excuse to cram my useless world-building into a crpg module.
>>
>>78564738

yeah calling strings is tough
>>
What are some minor effects masks of
Disgust
Sadness
Anger
Fear
Excitement
Happiness

Might have?
I was thinking
1 happy - can make a target save vs magic, or smile (if they can)
2 sad - The user needs to save vs paralysis to want to do anything at all. If they talk to a subject for a period that person needs to save vs paralysis or fall into the same pit of depression.
3 fear - Attacks are rolled at a -4
4 disgust - Roll attacks at a +2, will continue striking long after killing target.
5 angry - +1 damage on rolls, +1 to hit
6 excited - The user's intelligence becomes 16 temporarily, and their wisdom becomes 6.
>>
>>78585604
No idea what you intend to use these for, but they range from meh to worthless to crippling. Are they supposed to be magic item effects or something inflicted by a monster or what?
>>
File: D-1sYy2XkAEH1ZK.jpg (863 KB, 1481x2048)
863 KB
863 KB JPG
>>78582652
newfag to osr, most of my work has been immersing myself with ad&d rules and style of play. its kind of confusing, but at the same time i think i like it more than modern d&d.
>>
>>78582652
Working on my chainmail inspired heartbreaker, trying to figure out what to do with helmets.
>>
>>78585870
minor cursed item that a pc grabbed.
>>
>>78586356
NAYRT, but I don't think you need unique results for each. I would have it cause a save vs magic or suffer -2 to attack rolls, the reason is based on which mask. Happy causes uncontrolable laughter, Sad is weeping, Fear is well.. fear, Disgust causes an illusion of a vile scent, angry is blind rage, and excited is similar to sensory overload. All of these effects may or may not also cause others around the victim(s) to act oddly. I would imagine if me and the bros were stopping a few people on the road trying to shake them down for some ale money and Jim started just fucking crying for his mother, Joe started laughing hysterically, and John was super excited and entranced by how pretty the leaves were this time of year, I would run away on the spot. Not everything needs to be mechanical bonuses.
>>
>>78585604
I generally don’t like +- die bonuses, I feel like 3e and the d20 system is built around that design philosophy. If an item has a role play effect, I’d rather have the player engage with a fictional effect. Why couldn’t the mask of happiness just make you inappropriately giddy? Have the player make choices as if his character was inappropriately happy at all times. I’d assume that would be more fun than a mechanical bonus to saving throws, or whatever.
>>
>>78530407
Recently started cooking up my own setting/system, got a question about magic.

Most of the systems I've flipped through limit magic by only letting you cast any particular spell once per day. I'm fine with that system as a means of limiting spells, but I'm curious if there are any other methods that are workable - to broaden my horizons, but also because my world's leaning more towards warlocks at the moment (people making deals for power) so I'd be open to other trade-offs.

I know in Mausritter spells need you to perform certain tasks to recharge them but I don't want to clutter up my system with detailed tasks for every possible spell.
>>
>>78547850
Bro u gotta share that shit
>>
>>78582652
Wrote these two fragments in the "monster slush" document

>Orcs have a Lostech flammenwerfer

>Man with bloody gash in his chest begs for aid in rattling voice. He won't explain how he got it. Healing spells causes the wound to appear on the caster for 3d6 damage while the man flees through hidden trapdoor.
>>
>>78582652
Another Death and Dismemberment system
>>
>>78587002
Material components of all kinds are an effective limiter. They can be single use, like ammunition, rare or expensive, tied to a specific location, personal investments, fragile, etc. I suppose this could hearken back to Arneson's original conception of spells explicitly being one-use items.
Spells could be tied to times of day, celestial alignments, or seasons. This doesn't need to be a full-blown ritual either. Solonor's Scorching Ray only works outside in full sunlight because it allows the caster to focus the rays of the sun, and so on.
As a more explicitly mechanical approach you can have spells drain hp or ability scores. Or casters could accrue corruption or madness.
And you can have spells just become ineffective over time. Reality becomes inoculated to the caster's commands and new methods of achieving the effect need to be researched and practiced. That one's a liitle weird but I could think of few ways to implement it.
>>
>>78582855
Do any of these use premade modules. I have a scifi campaign that i'm looking for premade material to inject into it.
>>
>>78587554
Good fuel for thought, thanks.
>>
Linked PDF version of the Watchtower Compound dungeon:
https://clericswearringmail.blogspot.com/2021/04/0802-watchtower-compound-standalone-pdf.html

>>78586224
That's because it's better!
Welcome to our corner of the hobby!

>>78586236
In mine, I use a Death & Dismemberment table, but allow a character with a helmet to re - roll wounds to the head. It also kind of implies that the helmet is something above and beyond what would normally be on a suit of armor: a corinthian or barbute grand helm, rather than a skull cap or chainmail coif. I've seen other folks have it boost AC by 1 while penalizing ranged attacks or surprise chances: but not sure how that would work in a Chainmail-inspired game.
>>
>>78538164
Fighters being only class to improve in combat sounds like a great change to keep them relevant at high levels. Of course thieves will be even more useless but they're beyond redemption.
>>
>>78587946
Just the Great Stag, and that one is basically a spelljammer starter adventure with the serial numbers filed off. I unfortunately don’t have a lot of sci fi pre mades on hand.
>>
>>78588386
>not sure how that would work in a Chainmail-inspired game.
That's the issue, a lot is abstracted in chainmail. I'm considering a 2in6 chance to turn a roll of 6 damage into 5 damage, causing helmets to save a level 1 character from being killed in one hit a third of the time. I'll have to see how it works in play.
>>
File: 1615507263261.jpg (327 KB, 996x623)
327 KB
327 KB JPG
It's Saturday!

This weeks post is my advice on making a hex map in a step by step fashion, starting with how to draw hexes on lined paper if you can't get hexes.

https://simultaneous-initiative.blogspot.com/2021/04/step-one-create-world.html
>>
File: ogre.jpg (92 KB, 577x800)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
I'm making an ogre dungeon and its great, I get to use 'ogresized' as a descriptor and nobody can stop me.

How do you guys like to write out your room descriptions? Right now i'm basing it on the format in T1.
>>
Next session will focus around a dungeon that's primarily controlled by a priesthood dedicated to self flagellation/pain.
If you have any encounters you'd like to test or try out that fit into this theme, post them here. I'll make an effort to include them and if my PCs run into them I'll provide feedback on how they went.
>>
>>78587002
Whitehack has an interesting magic system that uses variable HP costs. But for making pacts it may not be sufficiently flavorful. That's an interesting idea, you would need some pretty powerful drawbacks I think to basically use something else's power.
>>
>>78587002

A mechanic I wrote and have posted about here before is Clarity casting. Originally it was just for Clerics but could be used to replace Vancian casting entirely. In brief, a cleric has a new resource called Clarity equal to 1 for every three Wisdom they have.
>2-4 Wisdom, One Clarity
>5-7 Wisdom, Two Clarity
>8-10 Wisdom, Three Clarity
>11-13 Wisdom, Four Clarity
>14-16 Wisdom, Five Clarity
>17-19 Wisdom, Six Clarity
When a cleric wants to cast a spell, they say a prayer and roll 2d6 + Clarity. If they roll over 7 their prayers are heard and the spell succeeds. You then reduce the Clarity by the spell level. If the spell fails, no Clarity is lost. Clarity is recovered by prayer at various times a day depending on faith. (I recommend no more than two a day)

In play this leads to a cleric getting one spell off guaranteed or near guaranteed, then they run the risk of spells not being reliable. This emulates the iconic scene of a priest repeating a prayer over and over before it kicks off, getting more and more desperate.
>>
>>78547850
fourthing. I want to know how this paleontologist class works
>>
>>78589397
It's still another method to add to the pile, and may work elsewhere. Magic isn't uniform right now, it works differently for different creatures (or in D&D terms, some races are warlocks, some races are sorcerers).
>>78590394
I like this though; gives some variability for capricious patrons, or illustrate the patron's waning interest as you bug them for more spells, and earning points back could be accomplished by doing some task the patron demands. I like it.
>>
>>78588927
Most notable or pressing thing about the room first, like if there is a big hostile monster in it.
Features can be brief. Dimensions are necessary but I'm practicing using shorthand for most everything else.
>>
>>78591659
>shorthand

If its only for my own use its abbreviated almost to the point of not being English to save printer ink.
>>
>>78588604
Probably should have posted the hex map!

>>78590570
Good, I hope it works for you. I don't have much feedback other than my one cleric player enjoying it.
>>
File: Tamriel Hexmap.png (5.53 MB, 5916x4260)
5.53 MB
5.53 MB PNG
Does anyone in-thread have a preferred hexcrawling procedure?
>>
>>78588927
Are you writing this to be published or just to be used? Whenever I write room descriptions I pretty much just put down a few key words to jog my memory and a mechanic/table to roll on if necessary. Anything else is a waste of time, since I already know what's in the room and what the players can interact with.
>>
Hey guys, quick question: What is the "Door, Resisting" trap in Appendix G supposed to be?
>>
>>78592945
I would assume that it's just a door that is stuck. The sort of thing the 'open doors' number on the AD&D character sheet is for.
>>
File: mysterious door.jpg (1.36 MB, 2187x2821)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>78592869
For my own use its something like this:

>B;2x3 room monster = 4 cultists leader w/ AC5 HP 6 by door, has key and mace

I am trying to write a dungeon to 'publish' (post here for free) right now.
>>
>>78593299
All doors are stuck, though
>>
>>78592945
Anon, if the door resists leave it be, it doesn't have to open because you knocked.
>>
>>78592945
Enchanted to re-stick itself every time if not spiked open. Probably to throw a wrench in PCs fleeing.
>>
>>78593363
Best advice you can find is right here: Find a module that you like (or that a popular reviewer like Bryce likes) and then just do room descriptions like that. No need to reinvent the wheel when people already figured out what works and what doesn't. Once you get good enough at the fundamentals you can start to experiment, but before that you got to work on your skills
>>
>>78593441
Yea, that was my guess, I pretty much do that with all doors though lol
>>
>>78592251
I like the Dolmenwood procedure.
>>78589135
There's a very recent blog post. I forget from whom. But it is about a monster created by the wounds healed with magic. Given that your cult is flagellant, it would make sense that they'd be able to summon one such monster!
>>
>>78592251
1) let the players see a bit of the map, enough that they can travel in one turn. The rest is hidden by fog of war. Players choose which hexes they travel over. This works best online VTT
2) don’t let the players see the map. Let them have blank graph paper if you’re feeling generous. Ask them what direction they want to move in and for how long. When they tell you, note their travel position on your hidden DM map. Tell them what they see on the way, what they see when they’re done traveling, and any encounters on the way. This method is best for theater of the mind.
>>
>>78593912
Thanks! This is good guidance.
>>
>>78585604
1, 2 and 6 are very cool. The others are not bad byt could be more interesting. All are usable
>>
File: p1-baboon-attack-72dpi.jpg (534 KB, 630x810)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
Zounds! The Trove is down!
>>
>>78545040
> pig orcs being chases out of a cave by gorilla-aligned Mongolians.

This is P U L P
>>
>>78552866

> he doesn't know that there are competing theories on how gravity actually works
>>
>>78595069
they look like https://greyhawkonline.com/greyhawkwiki/Losel

Losels are orc-baboon crossbreeds.
>>
How long do you generally consider a "turn" of a game. 30 irl minutes of gametime?
>>
>>78543468
>>78543563

http://www.rusf.ru/english/loginov/books/eurdrag.htm
>>
>>78596378
depends on what's happening. i don't correlate it to realtime unless the players get wrapped up in discussion or something.
>>
>>78596580
Alright then, what's a good rule of thumb for what should be considered a "turn"?
>>
File: Mosquito Man.jpg (134 KB, 981x814)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
This shilling Saturday I bring to you all: The Mosquito Men. Goofy guys to have your players encounter in cities and settlements with a little baked-in adventure hook.

https://traipse.hexarcana.com/2021/04/mosquito-men.html
>>
>>78597032
This thread is not for asking questions that can easily be found in the rules.
>>
>>78597096

Well you're no fucking help.
>>
>>78588604
>Saturday
I was very early this week or very late last week. I shilled my latest post on Thursday, here: >>78547791. I made a mad science system that lets players invent all sorts of weird devices.
>>
>>78597131
Turns are 10 minutes in-game.
>>
>>78563002
Yeah he has a broom, we started with random possessions and he decided to use it as a quarterstaff.
And, it's just me and the DM. It's west marches in terms of being about visited several evolving megadungeons and having different characters form the party each time, some players would have multiple characters as some would be resting and recovering.
>>
File: mayan_mosquito.jpg (64 KB, 638x750)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>78597085
Interesting.
>>
>>78596378
>>78597032
This: >>78597692 .
A turn is a rigid construct that guides player behavior, controls the consumption of resources, and informs the appearance of wandering monsters. It has no correlation to real time: it does have correlation to what the party does: moving a set number of feet, searching for or attempting to disarm a trap, or engaging in melee, etc.
>>
File: gamma rat.jpg (217 KB, 800x588)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
Any suggestions for a modern or currently supported OSR game that captures the post-apoc feel of novels like "Starman's Son" and "Hiero's Journey"? Where the tech level for most is nearly stone age or medieval, but there are super-science artifacts to be found in the ruins.

The obvious answer to me is 1e Gamma World, as it was based on those novels. My uncle ran us through a few 1e GW sessions when I was a kid and I remember it being a good time, but I was confused by the rules (sometimes roll high, sometimes roll low, flowcharts, attack matrix tables, etc). I've started to look at Mutant Crawl Classics, but it seems like the publisher hardly supports it and there's no community to be found for it.

I just want a place to discuss old school radioactive mutant games.
>>
>>78599956
Mutant Future is more mechanically OSR than MCC but honestly its tragic but youll be doing a lot of homebrew.
>>
>>78530407
I've been reading through B/X to play a game soon. But I'm confused about something, when you level up do you roll a # of hit dice equal to your level and add them to your total? Or do you roll 1 hit dice and are allowed to roll as many as level *HD as part of a rest?
>>
>>78600536
I always read it as you roll the difference. So if you currently have 4 HD and this new level grants you 5 HD, you'd roll 1 HD and add that to the total. At later levels, when it starts becoming things like 8 HD +1 or 8 HD +2, again, you just add the different. So in the case between 8HD+1 and 8HD+2, you'd add 1 hit point.
>>
>>78599998
Ah yes, I've read a few Mutant Future adventures and the "revised" rule book. Seems to be very much a Gamma World clone using BX rules. Cool stuff, but again, dead community. I don't get it. To me, it's a much more entertaining setting/genre than "Oh, we're elf men... again."
>>
>>78600573
Thanks! I think that makes more sense. I just started crunching the numbers and saw a level 4 character would have like 86 hp or something which is kind of absurd.
>>
>>78599956
Mutant Crawl Classics doesn't have a huge amount of support, but an official module just came out for it, another one will be out in a few months, there was a zinequest kickstarter for a 3rd party zine, and the Gong Farmer's Almanac always exists.
>>
>>78600536
>allowed to roll as many as level *HD as part of a rest?
I don't really know what you're trying to say but B/X doesn't have any kind of "rest" mechanic that involves rolling hit dice.
>>
>>78600602
Fantasy is always have a bigger draw for ttrpg players than sci-fi (or any other genre). It has something to do with fantasy tropes, genre expectations, psychology, stuff like that. Someone wrote an essay on it once, they elaborated the point better than I can now
>>
>>78600751
Then what's the point of HD? That's not meant aggressively btw, B/X has me at a loss.
>>
What are some beasts that a church might have around as guardians?
>>
>>78601011
Dogs
>>
>>78601006
Just determines how many Hit Points you have. I have heard of some people interpreting OD&D as your hit dice are all rolled on level up. So when you level up to level 2, instead of rolling 1d6 and adding it to your current HP total, you would roll 2d6. If the new total is higher, you take it, and if it is lower than your current HP total, you keep your old total. Long-term this creates a regression to the mean for hit points, but its just a house rule. PLayers who get shafted with a bad HD roll at character creation appreciate it.
>>
>>78601089
That seems to be a deceptively simple interpretation but it is what it says on the page. I'll try it. Now that I think about it there's a lot of older cRPGs that do that, you can't really get a 0 increase in HP otherwise.
>>
>>78597131
>>78597032
since other anon refuse to elaborate, I'll spoonfeed. a turn is 10 game minutes like the other anon said, and various game actions are defined in the rules to take a certain amount of time. distance moved can be a good measuring stick, as can things like forcing doors, disarming traps, picking locks, etc. primarily you want to use your good judgment, but err on the side of caution. if you allow your players too many significant actions in a turn, the time pressure of the encounter dice will be mitigated. if you allow them too few, the game may slow to a crawl but you can impress on them the value of acting efficiently.
>>
New Thread
>>78601241
>>78601241
>>78601241
>>78601241
>>
>>78601011
Gargoyles, golems, flagellants
>>
>>78599956
There's always Jim Wards other TSR game, Metamorphosis Alpha. I think the artifact identification flowchart is less complex than the Gamma World one. 4th Edition Gamma World has d&d like classes and levels.
>>
>>78600536
You have one hit die per level (until name level, when you top out at 9 hit dice, and only add a flat number whenever you level up). So if you're a 3rd level character who gets enough XP to reach 4th level, you roll an additional hit die to see how many hit points to add to your total.

It isn't the typical way and isn't endorsed by the book (though it's hardly unknown either), but I think the best way of doing hit dice is to roll them from scratch each time you level, but keep your former total +1, if that's higher. So say you're a 3rd level fighter with 12 hit points. When you attain 4th level, you'll roll 4d8 to see how many hit points you have, and if they're less than 13 (your former total of 12, plus 1), you'll set them to 13, otherwise you take whatever you roll. (This just ensures that your hit points never go down and that you'll always at least make 1 point of progress.) But if you were going by the book, you'd just roll an additional d8 and add whatever you got to the 12 hit points you already had.
>>
>>78593375
While the books do certainly seem to imply that, it's really too retarded to just take at face value.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.