[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 71bpAA6afWL._SL1500_.jpg (185 KB, 1500x1500)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Empathy Edition

Previous thread: >>78480016

Thread Questions:

What was the most positive emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?

What was the most negative emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?

Have you ever embarrassed yourself while playing a board game?
>>
Also I played my first game of Brass Birmingham and it lasted like three hours and I did not feel like killing myself afterwards so it must be a decent game but everything there is for me to care about in it is done so much more physically, viscerally, interactively, and excitingly in Hansa Teutonica. Plus Hansa Teutonica is like three times quicker.

I'll probably play Birmingham again but it's too much about transactions against the bank and not enough about spacial relations. The genius of Hansa is how there is no generic "money" to spend; you are just putting cubes on the map, bumping other player's cubes out of place (which lets them split into two, which is most likely the best "mutual asymmetric benefit" mechanic that has ever been in any eurogame), moving your cubes from anywhere to anywhere; it's all about dem cubes. In Birmingham it's more about your own money against standard costs paid to the bank, which is lame and boring.

Everything in Hansa is everyone else's business, all the time. It really is an abstract disguised as a euro, and that's why it's probably the best one.

Birmingham does have great art, but there's some really dumb athematic copouts in the rules like how your own beer can teleport from anywhere without rails, and how rails stop being about transport and simply become a point grab (especially in the second half where it's all about getting the most double rail actions).

I think The Cost is more interesting than Birmingham, because it actually simulates the transport and goods moving across the rails and ports, with each player getting paid for each rail/port the goods move past, and you can manipulate the flow of goods traffic with clever placement and investing into rail authority. I'd sooner play that again, actually; I think everything about The Cost is cooler than Birmingham, and there's a lot of overlap in what you do in both games. Plus in The Cost you get to kill people with asbestos and progressively shut down the game itself.
>>
>>78530083
>I think everything about The Cost is cooler than Birmingham

Well, except the art style, but The Cost makes up for it at least by having a cool font lol.
>>
>>78529932
>What was the most positive emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?
When playing Galaxy Trucker against the same guy most weeks for an entire academic year, we developed a real bond. Because we'd actually gotten pretty good at it by the end, playing each other felt like true rivals each facing a worthy opponent.
>What was the most negative emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?
There was an incredibly annoying guy at the board games club I was going to at the time, and I was 85% confident once that I saw him cheat at Sushi Go Party (covertly substituting his card after I announced my Miso Soup on the reveal). 85% wasn't quite enough to feel comfortable calling him out, and I had no proof, and Sushi Go is such a light game that I didn't see any point in making an issue out of it (and yes, I know someone is going to point out that if he really was swapping a soup for something else then he was benefitting me as much as himself, but that wasn't really a key factor in my decision here), but... cheating at Sushi Go? Really? I'm not convinced I have ever respected a human being less than I did at that moment.
>Have you ever embarrassed yourself while playing a board game?
I'm pretty good at Dominion, so I thought I'd be better at Clank than I actually was. I was more shaken than I should have been when it all went wrong, and I think it showed on my face, I got some strange looks from the others. That was pretty embarrassing, one of my more autistic moments.
>>
>>78529932
>What was the most positive emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?
when we were playing dune and my gf and her friend who was playing for the first time forged an allians during sand worm and proceeded to mastestroke mine and my friends collective alliance that was literally 1 turn away from total victory. They did it by nuking the shield wall and then just so the storm happened to be right in the range of being moved to wipe us all out. We lost everything.
>What was the most negative emotion you felt towards someone else while playing a board game?
its always fun. Save for childhood monopoly games

I was playing artreides and knew they had those two cards.
>>
Picking up previous threads discussion about SUSD. It got me into board games again. I've always liked it but i started watching their videos to pass the time and ended up with a list of games I wanted.

I did badmouth Vasel in the past calling him an insufferable autist in this thread but now as time has passed I am embarassed and very sorry.
Dice tower deserves every single viewer they have and then some, they do good stuff.
>>
>>78532573
I feel like SUSD can really sell a game if they like it. Makes me want to get it.
>>
>>78532573
dice tower people are just realy nice folk
they SEEN strange because most internet people tend to either be plastic asshole or woke assholes so seing some one just being "nice" is weird
>>
I woke up and I feel nothing but the weight of all the shitty obtuse band-aid rules in Birmingham and I think I actually regret learning the game. Shit like “you can overbuild on opponent’s tiles, but only with coal or iron mines, and only when there are no cubes of the corresponding kind anywhere on the board or in the market”.

In other words, “you can only do this cool and interactive thing as an ultra-rare emergency move to break a shitty global deadlock situation”.

Fuck this game.

Or even overbuilding on your own tiles. You essentially waste a shitload of VPs, since you don’t get to score what was on the tile before you replace it. That feels like shit, right? Couldn’t there be a way to discourage excessive overbuilding without a tradeoff that only serves in making that player feel like shit, such as a simple building cost multiplier?

In Hansa Teutonica, there is no pain. There is no negative feedback in the mechanics themselves. Every move either rewards you, or rewards you AND someone else. I should always be playing against the other players, not against the game, unless the game itself wants to get fucking real and have a way to actually kill me, but that is outside the domain of common eurotrash.

In The Cost you play against the game as well as other players, but failing actually kills not only your workers, but eventually the board *itself* and everything on it belonging to all players. That is orders of magnitude cooler and more meaningful than the board simply filling up until everyone gets a lot of points. In Hansa, players directly feed each other points by completing routes, which makes the game gratifying when it’s not your turn.

Once I realized that it’s frequently more beneficial to produce a coal/iron mine that instacompletes and fills a gap in the neutral market, rather than providing cubes that other players have to take (and for free! without paying me! wtf!), I checked out of this solitaire shitshow.
>>
Has anyone played Oath: Chronicles of Empire and Exile? I plan on playing solo on TTS. Have a dozen games of Root and Fort under my belt so I'm guessing it will be my cup of tea.
>>
Is the DIE FIGHTER EXPANSION for SPACE CADETS DICE DUEL worth it??

also eclipse is a good war game but a fucking TERRIBLE 4x
>>
>>78534500
Someone I vaguely knew backed the KS and printed off the print-and-play that they got. I don't know whether the final version is different to that.
Anyway, it was insanely boring. This is long enough ago that I don't really remember why, but I remember having an absolutely miserable time.
>>
>>78534528
>eclipse is a good war game
Not it isnt and the movement rules are the main problem.
Exodus, Forbidden Stars and Space Empires 4X are much better space themed wargames.
>>
>>78535225
>Forbidden Stars
>deck building shit
no, just no
>>
It was really great when my friend got free of cancer being part of the boardgame party that celebrated it.
Rules argument that got very out of hand. Someone got way too intense in claiming they never got told a rule we all remembered getting told. Kinda killed the mood that night.
Any game that involves a world map, I will always embarrass myself trying to remember where countries are. I'm an idiot.

I'm also generally the best rules teacher we have but a more specific embarrassing moment was being barely awake for teaching everyone Roll for the Galaxy. I fucked it up so bad we haven't pulled it out since despite all of us recognizing it's probably a good game. I don't think I got any particular rules wrong but there were a shit ton of things I should've clarified better and I never told anyone what the objective of the game was to win.
>>
Any good adventure board games? I mean something where you play characters, explore, fight and stuff like that (not trpgs I already play those). It's something that's really missing in my collection, I have euros and wargames and abstracts but nothing like this. I was thinking Oath or maybe Gloomhaven? Give me some recommendations please.
>>
>>78537582
Definitely not oath. Take a look at Mage Knight.
>>
>>78537635
NO poetically the most heavy in its category, yeah? Might as well play a TTRPG by that point.
>>
>>78537910
Holy fuck, MK is probably*
>>
>>78537934
It's not a light game, but it's really nothing like an actual TTRPG.
>>
>>78529932
>when you moved a lot as a kid and know that social skills are culturally relative and connotations don't translate well
>>
>>78534528
If you're able to get the base game to the table with any kind of regularity, absolutely. The extra player count flexibility, unique ship systems, and ability to have asymmetric scenarios is a really solid addition.
>>
File: sad2.png (220 KB, 479x558)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>78538271
some faggot just outbid me in the auction for the game, i cant get it anymore
>>
>>78538167
Oh well. I'm just talking about the timesink involved, not the gameplay.
>>
>>78538379
Clearly the answer is to just play Knizia games until no living man can best you at auctions.
>>
>>78532636
Too bad they are too woke for their own good. They lose their minds over every"problematic"sing in a game
>>
>>78540171

Can you point out an instance of them having a problem with anything other than surface-level inclusivity?
>>
>>78540209
the oldest one is probably that huge kickstarter game that just had paul the ENTIRE EPISODE complaining that the females on that game were too sexy and that was sexists
the start of the end was instanbul with the Muh 82 man and 0 woman and the turning point the arabian nights review where quins absolute fucking LOVED that game but since sjw's find it problematic that a arab game wont let you be gay they first put a trigger warning in the game review
>>
>>78534500
I got my copy a few days ago and got a game in with three players on the weekend. I'm not sure how well it lends itself to solo play, so take that with a grain of salt. There are rules for an AI, but they seem quite complicated, which might theoretically be automated on TTS and might make for a good opponent, but I was rather discouraged from using it since it looked like a nightmare.
The game does a fairly good job of giving you a number of different approaches to play; you can have games with a lot of pitched battles and some where map control is only secondary. It can be a bit overwhelming because of the flexible win conditions, but those keep the game dynamic.
I was also pleasantly surprised at the card effects, since an earlier version of the game had much less interesting cards. The Chronicle part of the game is a compact take on pseudo-Legacy mechanics and seems actually very nice, and I found it quite easy to "translate" my play experience in a short chronicle text that reads like you would expect from the history of a fantastic land.
>>
>>78540386

Fair enough.
>>
File: crate-o-waifus.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x3024)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
Giant plastic pusher: delivered

I swear I could fit 2.5, maybe 3 TI4 boxes in this thing.
What the fuck.
>>
>>78534500
I dont think this game is going to do very well review wise.
>>
>>78534500
Played 2 player game on TTS recently to try it out. It felt like a mix of Root and a Pax game. Like Root and Pax games the rules are hard to parse first game but I feel it won't take more than a couple games to internalize the rules and it will be smoother. I didn't like Root and ended up selling my copy so I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did but I do enjoy pax games. Can't speak to solo game or to the campaign play. I also am not sure how it will scale up and I'm afraid that just like pax games it will get very chaotic with more players. I also feel like the downtime will be an issue in higher player counts. 2 player was fun though and I will probably get it once it hits retail. I'm kinda skeptical about the legacy stuff, it was so hyped up so even if it ends up kinda nice(just by reading the rules it seems that way, like I'm not gonna cream my pants over it but I bet it'll be a fun gimmick) it will be a by of a letdown but I've only played once so haven't tried it.
>>
>>78533475
>they SEEN strange because most internet people tend to either be plastic asshole or woke assholes so seing some one just being "nice" is weird
i don't think that's why
Tom wears the weird hats and has like 9 kids and is super christian. they're all fat nerds so they're weirdos anyway. i'd hang out with Zee. i'm not knocking any of them, and they do seem nice.
>>
>>78542935
zee and the super happy guy are the only ones i find weird
i miss sam, he was great
>>
>>78542935
I like Zee the most. He seems the most normal. My wife is put off by Tom.
>>
>>78537582
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Arkham Horror Card Game
Clank!
Dead of Winter
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Diamant/Incan Gold
Fury of Dracula
Ghost Stories
Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-Earth
Lords of Waterdeep
Mansions of Madness
Robinson Crusoe
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Tomb
Zombicide

other people can narrow this down by telling you why these are all terrible choices and i'm an idiot
>>
>>78540474
Now I want it
>>
>>78541738
If you need room, I could take Tannhauser off your hands :D :D :D
>>
>>78543168
>DoW
No
>zombicide
Hell no
>>
>>78537582
i like witcher the adventure game but it looks like im the only person in the world that does it since it sold like shit

you can get the app on steam for 1 dolar, i recomend
>>
>>78543360
how about Flick 'Em Up: Dead of Winter? (actually not a bad rec for the guy)
Zombie Dice?
Zombie Fluxx?
>>
>>78543406
>Flick 'Em Up: Dead of Winter?
just get catacombs if you going to get that
>>
>>78543456
Catacombs costs around 4x as much
is it that much better?
>>
>>78532453
I bet a lot of my board game related emotions revolve around Dune as well, good story.
>>78543168
>Lords of Waterdeep
>adventure board game
Terrible choice, clearly the work of an idiot.
>>
>>78542210
Why?
>>
File: file.png (1.24 MB, 1000x750)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>78543456
talking about it
other than sheriff of nothinham second edition was there ever another game that got its artstyle BUTCHERED like catacombs ?

>>78543536
i like it and i got the second edition for dirt cheap
>>
>>78542978
>My wife is put off by Tom.
Coming from you this is an unbelievable burn.
>>
Lazy question for anyone familiar with the Dark Souls / Bloodborne board games: Do they add (maybe in expansions) any monster or weapon designs that the original games don’t have?
>>
>>78543599
>pic
Wow that is, upsetting to say the least. Clearly they decided to try to appeal to the “quirky” soi sucking crowd.
>>
>>78543669
Everything in the Bloodborne board game is from the vidya IIRC, including all expansions. Not sure about Dark Souls.
>>
>>78540209
Kemet episode they go nuts over a power you can buy called slavery, in a game about egypt where you build pyramids.
>>
>>78544171
Shit dude why didn't you post this before I sent a review copy of my game Race War Yakub: Exterminate the White Devil to them?
>>
>>78544241
they would probably complain that there were too many pale face daemons in the britan region
>>
>>78544171

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-K0TcoYPY

He mentions it once at around 2:48 in a joking manner, then disregards it and goes onto talking enthusiastically about how awesome the game is for the rest of the review.

Get the fuck over yourself.
>>
>>78543606
I can clearly see why. He has the eternal virgin act down. The hat, suspenders, that voice that could be heard uttering “you know women aren’t just sex objects”. She thinks that he’s a try hard. It’s a natural turn off. She wasn’t shocked when I said that he was a former youth pastor. We reject plenty of couples just as often as we are rejected and it’s usually the women doing the rejecting.

And Tom seems like a nice guy, other than judging a game based off of messed up rule interpretation, I still watch his vids.

But his top ten vids drag on for fucking ever. I wish they consolidate games so that you aren’t seeing repeats.
>>
>>78544597

Nobody cares what you think
>>
File: redditoole.jpg (229 KB, 1280x720)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>78541738

(You)
>>
>>78544537
Check out the other Kemet review they did for Seth in taseti. They bitch about it there too.
>>
>>78534500

This game's reviews are going to be a pile of 10/10s and a pile of 3/10s with very little in between.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (121 KB, 662x807)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>78539453
well atleast i managed to find a backup of the old dice duel mod from 2015 for TTS on some shitty gay site in the internet
i made a backup of it inside my own steam acount and now the mod is alive again. so atleast i can play it online
>>
>>78545352
We don't give a fuck about your shitty gay mod
>>
>>78545606
you did enough to reply to it
also is not my mod i stole it from some reditor that got dmca'd
>>
>>78545606
So I replied, so fucking what, that means next to nothing, gaylord
>>
>>78545669
>>78546223
Get a room, you tsundere horndogs.
>>
>tried to make an animated gif
>too big for 4chins
>will try again tomorrow after resizing every picture.

At least I learned a new trick
>>
>>78537582
Gloomhaven is good, but the OG game drops you off in the deep end. If you're not OK with struggling with the rules, combat system, and difficulty right at the start, get Jaws of the Lion instead. Or at least first.

Outside of GH, Arkham Horror TCG is a very good fit for your desires attributes. There's also Etherfields, but my group found it too fiddly, random, and grindy. Some seem to like it, though.
>>
What are some good 90-120 minute euros with core mechanics other than worker placement? I'm trying to fill out my collection and that length seems to be my sweet spot.
>>
>>78543669
I havent played all the Dark souls expansions, but the majority I have, dont have anything new.
>>
Let’s see if this worked.
>>
>>78547304

That’s adorable. How would we go about playing this online?
>>
>>78547421
At the moment, it’s only possible with tts, anycardgame.io and that’s about it.

I think that it’d be a good filler for bga, but automating it would require their attention and I doubt they would do it.

Had a lot of luck this shuffle. Got to see blocking without having to set up for it as most of the time, you never experience it because your pawns are all over the board. Didn’t see the passenger deadline screw anyone up. Also did not have a stranded passenger other than the last one picked up this game.

Every game is different due to the card shuffle. You’ll never play the same game twice.
>>
>>78546687
>Arkham Horror TCG
There's an AH TCG?
I only thought there was an LCG and the board games.
Maybe there is a Call of Cthulhu TCG?
>>
>>78547543

He means the LCG.
>>
>>
File: oath.jpg (149 KB, 680x425)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>78529932
Got a few games of Oath in recently, it's pretty good. The Legacy stuff isn't really a big deal, basically the winners cards carry over to the next game, they get to choose the starting win condition, and they can be the chancellor if they want. Nothing gets destroyed ever, just some cards removed from a deck and others go into it. Less rules than Root too which makes teaching it much easier and it shouldn't require so many repeat plays to get everyone to a good level for cutthroat fun times.
>>
>>78537582
Bag of Dungeon and Runebound. Runebound is getting a little scarce these days, but it's a damn good time. I saw a really good breakdown of Bag of Dungeon on youtube recently. It was called talking about bag of dungeon or something like that. Short video, maybe 6 minutes, but was a really good primer for people unaware of the basics.
>>
Steev I'm finally getting into A:NR with new Nisei system gateway. I was wondering if your wife makes her own decks or how have you enjoyed it long term?
>>
>>78542867
>I'm kinda skeptical about the legacy stuff, it was so hyped up so even if it ends up kinda nice(just by reading the rules it seems that way, like I'm not gonna cream my pants over it but I bet it'll be a fun gimmick)
I think that's a fair assessment. You get six new cards every game and six random cards that nobody wanted or that the other players had get removed from the deck, you keep a few sites and can build buildings (or they fall to ruin), and that's it. Not much, but enough to give you at least a bit of consistency, and it's easy to store at the end of the game, so preparation doesn't take so long.
>>
empyreal any good?
>>
>>78548498
Cringe, this game is so bad. Imagine having invested money in this scam of a kickstarter.
>>
>>78548498
Two of my players really disliked the game. Me and another one really liked it.
>>
>>78544171
>in a game about egypt where you build pyramids.
Slaves didn't build the pyramids broski
>>
>>78545014
Mentioning it is barely bitching about it. It seems like you specifically look for things to get angry about.
>>
>>78532573
Ive been burned by SUSD a few times already. Both after getting games they recommended, and avoiding games they didn't.

SUSD slammed Brass while gushing over Brass: Birmingham, as if they're not almost the exact same game. If that's not enough for you to realize they are hacks, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>78549858
Not him.
I hate SUSD.
I play Brass Lancashire with my cuthroat friends.
Birmingham with my more casual friends and it works wonders.
>>
>>78544241
>Yakub
That's a Hebrew name.
>>
>>78549491
Sounds like you're coping with the fact some people are having fun with friends while you're shitposting in a tripfag general.

>>78549528
So far everyone I've played it with has liked it, but I knew those people liked that sort of game going in so I don't know how it would fare with more casual folk. I think the swapping to citizen thing might be confusing for them.

>>78549858
don't forget recommending Mafia de Cuba despite it being a solved game.
>>
>>78550409
>So far everyone I've played it with has liked it, but I knew those people liked that sort of game going in so I don't know how it would fare with more casual folk. I think the swapping to citizen thing might be confusing for them.
Yeah I expected that as well. My sister who loves Root strongly disliked Oath though...
>>
Are people still mad about Oath because the super early prototype game wasn't the final design?
>>
>>78550474
Thard not surprising, they're very different games, people going into it expecting Root 2 are going to be disappointed.
>>
>>78549858
I really went off them when they did a couple of reviews where I feel they didn't understand/badly misrepresented the rules.
>>
>>78543599
Love Letter
>>
>>78550409
>49 posters
>3 trips
Can you just STFUUUIUUU GODDAMN YOU FUCKING PANSY ASS WEAK BITCH
>>
>>78549685
Who did and don't say aliens
>>
>>78549711
Talking about something in a negative light is pretty close to bitching, Anon. This isn't far off base for them. They have a very good review channel that I enjoy, but at their core, they are sjw cux. Listen to their podcast, the talk about problematic shit all the time.
>>
File: 0652_210408150112_001.jpg (804 KB, 2480x3504)
804 KB
804 KB JPG
>>78547520
Hey BSN, I got the score sheets for the 2 new cheap as fuck D6 based Benndorf roll and writes for you.
I think the rules are online at the NSV page in english
>>
>>78551520
Paid labourers, probably farmers who could not work on their fields during the flooding of the nile.
>>
>>78548725
Nice! You'll have to let me know how you feel about the game, I still haven't played much with Nisei's stuff.
My wife occasionally makes her own decks from scratch, but most of the time she just goes through the binders until she finds a few cards or a theme she wants a deck built around and then has me throw the rest together. She'll usually do tweaking herself as she decides what did and didn't work for her in play.

Other than that it's mostly the occasional Jinteki.net game with old Netrunner friends or in person at game night when waiting for people to show up with whatever I have built.
>>
>>78551666
Oh honey....
>>
this general is so pathetic
>>
>>78551838
What's wrong with it? We generally stay OT
>>
>empyreal reprint
>no great differences with first printing
>march 2022
>>
>>78552004
Who cares.
The game suck anyway.
>>
>>78552111
I like it. It could stand to have a little more overt dick train cars and half the production value, but it's nice and the threshold systems does make steals nice and snappy.
>>
>>78551614
Thanks fren!

Saved to avoid those high German shipping costs.
>>
>>78537582
>>78546687
I would agree not to start with Gloomhaven and start with JotL instead. Not because Gloomhaven rules are hard (it's the best written rule book I've ever seen) but because it's probably more game than you'll ever care to play. After about 25 scenarios, it gets kind of rinse and repeat. It's fun but not 95 scenarios fun.
>>
>>78537582
Arkham Horror 2nd edition is really good.
It's a true adventure game.

I would also say KDM and Gloomhaven.
>>
File: love letter 2.jpg (132 KB, 840x840)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>78551423
oh yeah those fuckers
never forget what they took from you
>>
https://opinionatedgamers.com/2021/04/07/top-20-popular-games-that-are-not-for-me/amp/
>>
>>78551710
Oh I fell in love. Amazing game. Already taught to three people. Wish Jinteki was prettier but it gets the job done. Wife seemed to like it as well.
>>
>>78553244
cards against humanity is only fun if you are playing with people you dont know
so you can be as funny and rascist as you need
>>
Another day passes and no info about why Middara is just rotting away in the original warehouse still for Asia where everyone else is starting to get their games.
Succubus Publishing feel either incompetent or they are too placid and need to start being a bit more aggressive to these companies about where there products are. It's not even on the Asia dispatch companies site as a game coming up for distribution anytime in the future so IDK what the fuck is going on anymore. Is Asia usually treated like shit like this?
>>
>>78551838
Then start posting quality OC. Or fuck off.
>>
>>78552590
I agree. I would go even further and say that for most people JotL is the only version of the game they should pick up. OG Gloomhaven is just a kitchen sink in a box. It's like Isaac has no control over his autism and Kickstarter egged him on. JotL is more than enough for people to get their fill of it. I unfortunately own both and though I've enjoyed Gloomhaven. We're never going to complete those scenarios.
>>
>>78548303
Based, but cringe. Wish more people were willing to be themselves dude.
>>
Anyone have multiple plays of A War of Whispers? I had a great time playing it once but wonder if each game would kinda play out similarly.
>>
>>78553683
Awesome! Starting to develop a favorite side of the board or faction yet?

>>78554744
One friend has it and has gotten a half dozen plays or so, he's still pretty hot on it. Says the deductive part is usually pretty obvious by the endgame, but that it doesn't undermine the experience unless that's the only part of it you were excited about. No firsthand experience yet though, I might get to play it Saturday.
>>
>>78529932
Playing Yellow & Yangtze with my mom and my sister and seeing it really click for them. I've played board games with them before but this was a greater success than anything I've tried before and they got really into it.
Watching one of the brainlets in my regular group basically throw TI4 to the same player for the second game in a row via the *same timid misplays*.
I'm not proud of my second time playing Star Wars: Rebellion, I was stressed out over various things elsewhere in my life so I was already in a bad mood going into that evening and when the dice kept fucking me over I got very pissy. Replaying the game in my mind afterwards showed me that I actually made a lot of mistakes too, and it wasn't just the dice.
>>
>>78547006
Some of my faves w/o worker placement, my fellow euro anon...

Merlin
Shogun
Bonfire
Mombasa
Endeavor
Hermagor
Notre Dame
Power Grid
Tinners' Trail
Hansa Teutonica
Through the Ages - online to respect time limit
>>
>>78556083
>power grid
>not a worker placement
wait realy?
>>
File: 1387296406677.jpg (92 KB, 612x612)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>78556128
Really. It's bidding for powerplants to manage different resources on a market, generating a good income, while all players are fighting to minmax a network in the country. I guess one could probably argue that this network building is a form of worker placement, just like card drafting, but I'm not here to argue anyway.
>>
>>78554744
No, I think it just gets more agressive earlier.
It also plays a big role what kind of random order everyone gets.
>>
File: IMG_20210331_140522.jpg (2.16 MB, 2304x4096)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
Now I wonder what's inside...
>>
File: BruiserFixed.png (1.72 MB, 1296x728)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
>>78556734
Come on big money no whammies
>>
File: IMG_20210331_140636.jpg (1.97 MB, 2304x4096)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>78556734
I might be in the wrong thread for this.
>>
>>78556772
Gay
>>78556779
Somehow gayer
>>
File: IMG_20210331_140657.jpg (2.46 MB, 2304x4096)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>78556772
Still waiting on that one, sorry!
What do you guys think about Chaos? It'll be a while before I'll manage to play it and would like to hear some opinions.
>>
>>78556829
Does it have some components that would be good for sticking up your ass?
>>
>>78556829
inb4 khorne auto-wins first game
>>
>>78556862
Just enough to fill me up I think.
>>
>>78556829
Best, and only good, game by Eric Lang. On top of that, one of my personal top 5 games. I love the interplay between the factions and the way the board fights back and attempts to defeat the players (and can if you get just the right combination of old world cards). I've won as every god at least twice, but personally love nurgle the best, followed by slaanesh. After our 5th game we implemented only one house rule that helped shake up the game a bit: If your god has captured at least 1 peasant, you get one extra power point. You don't get 1 per peasant, just if you have any peasants, you get 1 power point.
>>
>>78556772
Thank god you censored the Dr Pepper, someone might have been offended
>>
>>78556734
It better be dragon dildos.
>>
does anyone buy off the BGG GeekMarket?
worth it? what's typical shipping like in the US for 1 vs 2 or more average sized games?
>>
>>78557227
I got a few games on there. It's basically craigslist for boardgames.
One showed up 2 days later the other took 2 weeks
>>
>>78557261
remember what shipping was?
i haven't paid for shipping in years, always use Amazon or wait until i hit the free threshold. i don't have a clue if it's going to be $5 or $20/game
>>
>>78557295
The fast one was $5 shipping, the slow one had free shipping.
When you buy stuff it sends the user a pm and you negotiate the shipping there
>>
>>78555531
Corp.
>>
>>78556829
>paying for CitOW when you can get Cthulhu Wars, Tsukuyumi, Forbidden Stars, and COINs for less.
>>
>>78553782
I don't think it's funny even then but I don't care for being bigoted, even if it's just for funsies.
>>
>>78553968
It absolutely is. Hell, the U.S. practically has a trade embargo with them even though I believe China is our #1 trading partner and has been for years.
>>
>>78554197
I think he's based but 20 dollars? Really dude? If you have such supreme confidence in your abilities, it would be 100. Chicken!
>>
>>78557227
I've done it occasionally, but you're basically ebaying, so it all depends on what your seller does.
>>
>>78549858
>SUSD slammed Brass while gushing over Brass: Birmingham, as if they're not almost the exact same game. If that's not enough for you to realize they are hacks, I don't know what to tell you.
It's almost like people are capable of gaining new perspectives over time and realizing the value of something they didn't see anything in before. Who knew!
>>
>>78543715
It's more that the game was having trouble finding an audience with it's absurd disparity between the art and the gameplay. You have these black and white with blood red old DND style drawings that do look nice, but it invokes the idea that this is going to be some hardcore game for the edge lords or for the big nerds crunching numbers. In reality, the game is a super simple flicking game with it's genre of dexterity games mainly appealing to kids having goofy fun. You're over politicizing what really just comes down to matching expectations.
>>
Going to pick up Merchants & Marauders this week, this will be my first purchase solely based on /bgg/ shilling. Hope you autists don't let me down
>>
>>78559249
As long as you're not expecting some kind of wholly deterministic cerebral IQ test that makes gipf put on his horny serial killer face, I think you'll be good.
>>
>>78559291
definitely not, honestly I'm getting it both because of shilling over the years and because my friends really love pirate stuff
>>
>>78559249
I played that once, as far as I can remember it was the only game I've ever played that was so boring I dropped out before the game ended. Literally twenty minutes at a time of staring at other people micromanaging their crap in port, and then it comes back to you and you get to fiddle with stuff for a few minutes.
>>
File: theTim.gif (330 KB, 220x151)
330 KB
330 KB GIF
>>78559328
Godspeed, and don't sleep on picking up Seas of Glory if you think it'll have any legs at all at your table. I almost never use all of SoG, but I always use most of it. And while it certainly doesn't neuter the game by any means, it does give you solid tools for mitigating shit luck if you decide to invest in them.

>>78559334
The Port action is absolutely a huge time sink if you let it be - players should be aggressively (possibly violently) encouraged to go into port with a plan. Plans can change, based on what they pull from the market or rumor decks, but you should be focused on not making the table sit around while you play with your dick trying to decide whether you want to buy some replacement crew. I wouldn't be at all opposed to putting port actions on a one minute sand timer if it's a persistent issue at your able.
>>
>>78559211
More like they hated it until it got a shiny new coat of paint and then suddenly it was worth their time.
>>
>>78559441
Would it be better to just limit port activities to something like three of the available options instead of making them rush through on a timer?
>>
>>78559632
Maybe, but it could backfire. By introducing more opportunity cost to each option, you might just be contributing to AP.
Fuck, try it, see how it works for you.
>>
Could someone suggest good builder-focused games for a group of 3-4 people?
Also, why the fuck pic related requires 12 people?! I've read through the ruleset and you could easily downsize it to 6 and if you don't mind players-as-cooperatives (rather than players-forming-cooperatives), it still works.
>>
>>78559714
*it still works at any number above 2
>>
>>78559714
No idea what this is but I googled the name and found a video of a bunch of polish chicks learning to play it, damn I forgot how cute polish girls are
>>
So I picked up Antiquity during the pandemic and have only been able to play it twice. I really enjoy it, one of my other friends enjoyed it and two of my friends felt like I committed a hate crime against them. I am not certain I will be able to table this game again because of how much my friends hated their experience with the game. I was offered Pax Pamir 2nd Edition and Brass Lancanshire for my copy of Antiquity. I like the offer, but I really like Antiquity. Chances Pax or Brass will hit the table more than Antiquity?
>>
File: image.jpg (3.68 MB, 4032x3024)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
Creative types:

RS&R has discovered that the Rook card game is actually known as Kentucky Discard. The room deck is actually a system in and of itself for numerous other games.

RS&R is running a contest for a pure 2 player game using the rook deck.

Head over to r/riffleshuffleandroll for details.
>>
>>78560012
"Peasant School of Business".
It's an economic game, designed to teach kids about basics of, well, economy and the importance of cooperatives. Which is why it's designed for so many players by default (can handle groups between 12 to 34, which means entire classroom in Poland, the designated "group" of players), but there is absolutely nothing preventing the game from being for 3-6 players, if things are re-scalled and players form a coopetative with "bots" in it, rather than each player representing a member of specific co-op (turning the game from "economics of a cooperative" to "economics of a private company").
The cooperative (no pun) that designed and published the game openly refuses to deliver a smaller-group ruleset. Which is fine from didactic perspective (it's first and foremost a teaching aid), but absolutely blows from purely gaming perspective (and thus rising the number of players to play it in the first place, due to lower requirements on group size).
>>
>>78560152
What was it that they hated? Because those elements might be just as strong in Pax Pamir/Brass Birmingham.
My friends and I enjoy all three, but we like backs against the wall kidney stabbing messes
>>
>>78559714
>>78560347
It wouldn't work with less than 9 players (and it absolutely has to be a multiplication of 3), because this is a negotiation game. To make it work, you need to have at least 3 different people producing the same type of goods, or else you will never achieve neither proper supply nor balance of prices (since dumping will instantly win you negotiations and blacksmiths would win the whole thing thanks to the default price value of their goods).
The best situation is when you have 15 players. This way you aren't under the >17 player ruleset, which slows things down, but still have a lot of people to negotiate with and try to find good deals. If each player would be given 2 or more characters, the end result is a situation where you have 3-6 people exchanging goods for each other, and either blacksmith(s) win due to inherit higher value of smithy goods, or someone simply refuses to trade and thus makes other unable to go for trade, to secure "victory" by inaction (which, again, makes blacksmiths winners almost by default).
Which, if you think about it, is what happend throughout majority of Poland, especially in Kongresówka - people just sitting on their production and never co-operating. What made Andrychów so unique was bunch of people in a middle of nowhere organising themselves after a disastrous fire, rather than just doing the good old dog and bone scenario. That and the fact they were the rare case of freemen, rather than serfs, also thanks to the fact it was a middle of nowhere
tl;dr the purpose of this game is to teach people the value of negotiation and negotiation within a very big group that doesn't share common interest. It's still "the richest guy wins", but to get there, you will make other players rich, too, and that's for your own benefit, since they can produce more thanks to higher profits
>>
What's the best social deduction game?
>>
>>78560785
Win, Lose, or Banana. Every other social deduction game usually reduces to a game of Win, Lose, or Banana, so you may as well save time and effort by cutting to the chase.
>>
>>78560785

amogus
>>
>>78560954
What kind of party game uses 3 and only 3 players? Tripfag tier.

>>78560785
Does Just One count?
Cryptid's alright.
Blood on the Clocktower if you like Werewolf like stuff.
Speaking of which, Werewords is fun.
Shipwreck Arcana is quick.
I love Alchemists, but it's more of a euro.
>>
>>78560954
It's the greatest value in gaming.
>>
>>78529932
I can answer this all in one story. I invite to friends other to study for GCSE (England secondary school exams) and once we were finished we started playing lords of waterdeep. After a few round me and my friend Poppy got into an argument about who turn it was to place a worker. I thought it was my turn and she thought it was hers. We kept going back and forth about the order of play and who went where, and this went on and on for about 10 minutes. The other player just spent the whole time laughing at us. Eventually my mother walked in to ask what all the commotion was about. After we explained she just let out a sigh and told us both to get over ourself. As soon as she left the room we both immidately started arguing again that it was in fact the other person's turn and insisting that they other one should make the next move. In the end I do remember how we resolved it but I still think about it from time to time.
>>
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/fc/c2/fcc2f4d3-8817-4936-a371-1417327fa5fa/ti_codex_2_rules_compressed.pdf
FFG did a contest for some TI maps setups and posted the results, some don’t look bad but the rest look like memes.
>>
Is The King's Dilemma fun?
>>
>>78560785
Decrypto
>>
>>78561363
If you can get into the theme and role play a bit, yes. If not give it a miss.
>>
>>78559249

Merchants & Marauders is objectively worse than Monopoly. See >>78559334
>>
File: euro vs ameri.png (236 KB, 1307x545)
236 KB
236 KB PNG
>>78559334
> Literally twenty minutes at a time of staring at other people micromanaging their crap in port
Sounds like a problem only euronigger would have.
>>
>>78561941
I liked the reverse version more

t. ameriplayer
>>
>>78561762
Most brainlet take I’ve ever seen. KYS ASAP for being stupider than BSN and GIPFag combined.
>>
File: Hikaru_no_Go_19.jpg (133 KB, 1024x768)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>78562653

>He doesn't know
>>
>>78562748
I was honestly expecting the board to be a loss edit
>>
>>78560785
>>78561125
>>78561486
>Just One
>Decrypto
word games aren't social deduction games
>>
>>78562913

It's all in the eyes
>>
>>78561523
Gimme a quick description of how it works?
>>
>>78563082
You’re right, they’re better.
>>
>>78563599
It’s been a while since I played it so you may want to go check out a review or watch it played video in case I forget something.

Basically everyone takes on the role of a house whose leader “advises” (makes decisions for) the king in some fictitious medieval kingdom. Each round a dilemma of some sort will come out and everyone has the option to spend any of their available power to vote for one of two outcomes, or pass to do something else (gain power, etc). The result will effect the kingdom in some way (more wealth at the expense of happiness, less military but more food, etc) and everyone has a game objective for where they want those kingdom stats to be as well as an overall house objective for the entire campaign.

Mechanically there’s not much to it and you can blow through games at a really fast pace if you’re not with a group that enjoys negotiation or taking on the role of their house. We had fun with it but it’s not for everyone which is why I gave the conditional recommendation.
>>
>>78563933
Cool, so it's sort of cooperative, sort of not? Sounds like it might be good for my group
>>
>>78560785
Love Letter. It's quick, simple and has infinite replay potential. Get fuckin' Love Letter, you square. But get the older version with the painted art instead of that new version.
>>
>>78559714
So what about those builder-focused board games? Anyone? Anything?
>>
Greetings, /bgg/. Just blitzed a bunch of board game reviews and stumbled upon Kemet. The base game looked great, and I wasn't planning on picking up the expansions. Then I discovered that there is currently a second edition, Blood & Sand, shipping to backers literally as we speak that has some nice revisions as well as some of the most sensible features of the Ta-Set expansion.

So, not having backed anything on Kickstarter in years and not finding any copies of the first edition floating around: When the fuck do Kickstarter board games typically land on game store shelves? When does Blood & Sand specifically start landing at game stores? Kickstart pages are unfuriating with how deep you have to dig for information. But their latest update was today, noting that they're shipping to backers.
>>
>>78564065
>When the fuck do Kickstarter board games typically land on game store shelves?
Unfortunately there is massive variance there, friend. Something as big as Kemet might pop on your FLGS shelves somewhat quickly, but I'd probably give it a solid month or three before you see it pop up on online retailers. Just a guess.
>>
>>78563975
Who you are co-operating with will change round to round and game to game based on everyones current objectives and how align or compete with each other. Also forgot to mention that you can totally bribe people and freely trade almost anything.
>>
>>78560311
I made a card game!

(I totally ripped my favorite game and submitted it without bothering to test it)
>>
>>78560553
I really am not sure what they hated. We're all experienced gamers, but the two who hated the game got frustrated with how crushing the game was. They understand that multiple plays would help with this frustration, but they would rather just play something else. Also, they got salty about the surrounding your opponent win condition, with them convincing themselves that their was minimal counterplay to prevent that from happening. I could argue with them about this, but to what end? I'm sure I could get it to the table again, but it would probably be a bit of a struggle. The two who hated the game, tend to love direct conflict and competitive games, so it could simply be a misfire.
>>
>>78560785
Salem, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Bang the Dice Game
>>
>>78529932

The moments when you have a big turn or you succeed with a down to the wire die roll and everyone legit cheers is always special. The time my mom played Tales of the Arabian Nights with me and laughed her ass off when a beggar tried to eat me when I attempted to pray for her was a good gaming memory.

The time I played Talisman. I will sit down and play anything, but I would leave a game night if Talisman was put on the table. Three hours to accumulate enough shit to finally feel like I could end the miserable game only for the fag who brought the game to "lolololol so random! Turn me into a frog and cause me to lose all my shit and starting me back to ground zero. Fuck. I'm getting pissed just thinking about Talisman.

There was the time I was too black out drunk to explain how to play Ladies and Gentlemen, or the time I revealed myself as the Witch during a game of Salem while black out drunk.
>>
>>78559249
It's good, fuck what these retarded ass bandits say
>>
>>78559334
Filtered af
>>
>>78559632
Five minute time limit is better
>>
>>78561363
Its one of the best legacy games ive played. My group got really into it and had a blast
>>
File: 1560634110062.jpg (165 KB, 811x642)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
Recently got a copy of clank! since I have no deckbuilders and wanted something light. Any of the expansions worth getting?

>>78561363
It falls apart if your group doesn't roleplay it
>>
>>78566006
Talisman really has no place on the modern game table. I can respect its place in game history but it can fuck right off from any table I am at.
>>
File: EirmK7cXsAYY1Ru.png (958 KB, 1080x1080)
958 KB
958 KB PNG
>tfw boardgames have been in golden age for past 5 years
>tfw of entire 4chan, this is the only thread dedicated to the purest of game design
>tfw it's the only thread that feels like 4chan did 13 years ago
It's a blessing and a curse
>>
File: Capture.png (247 KB, 335x342)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
So looking for experience.
My gf and I both love twilight struggle and we're looking for something other in similiar vein, a wargame.

We both into sci fi and I'd think ogre would be perfect fit if only all the expansion boards and rules and units weren't in designer edition only, plus it's sorta overpriced. No plastic models, write and erase unit sheets and 60 bucks? Come on.

Is there anything else short of making my own game, I'd prefer post ww2 to sci fi settings mostly.

Also how is New Angeles? It seems good.
>>
>>78568322
Empire of the Stars is coming out pretty soon but that's a 4X.
>>
>>78568351
Can it be played with 2 players? I have ti4 that I'm dying to play
>>
>>78568527
1-5 players if I'm not mistaken. Board is flippable with two different map styles.
>>
this is what they took from you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1741730267/the-planet-kit
>>
File: 1600033525821.png (1.03 MB, 776x804)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>78569311
>a project on Kickstarter that just failed to reach its goal
>taken from us
>>
>>78569311
Thank God they took it. this looks worse than that 400 games in one box minifig was drooling all over
>>
Won a 3-player game of Birmingham with 166 VPs because my opponents were retarded and didn't build enough rails

Never playing this again lol
>>
>>78569914
So just because your opponents didnt know the Birmingham meta they are automatically retards?
>>
>>78570220

this is my second game, they've been playing for many more games, and it seems blindingly obvious that the best thing to do in the rail era is to place as many rails as possible

so, yes.

i don't know anything about the "birmingham meta" either.
>>
>>78568322
If you want something like Twilight Struggle you might be interested in Labyrinth: the War on Terror or Imperial Struggle. If you want something more wargamey and WW2 try No Retreat: the Russian Front. For a fun scifi wargame check out Space Empires 4X. Left field suggestion: This War Without an Enemy, incredible block wargame about the English Civil War. Amazing production value, my favorite take on the block wargame genre, the battle resolution is very interesting with deciding to use your infantry blocks to fire with lower chance to hit or to charge at full effectiveness but attack later.
>>
>>78568322

Sekigahara and Watergate are in the same ballpark. Not so sure about a sci fi alternative...
>>
People talking about alternatives to Twilight Struggle got me thinking. Besides Labyrinth War on Terror (which I've tried the digital version of and don't particularly like, too many damned dice rolls to do literally anything), are there any other games that have a similar mechanic/feel to TS of "I have these bad things in my hand, I'm almost certainly going to have to play them eventually, how can I best mitigate these future crises?" I find it really fun trying to plan out how I can defuse the opponent's events that I've got in my hand - surely there are other games that can give that feel?
>>
>>78570467
>they've been playing for many more games
I dont believe they actually "played" the game then as they should have known about the late rail laying meta.

dont judge a game just because the players are retarded.

Judging by that would make every game the worst game in history.
>>
>>78570894

no, I'm judging the game because the game is retarded, as I went into detail on in my first few posts in this thread >>78530083 >>78534113

at any rate, The Cost actually simulates the goods transfer and provides a more compelling and intuitive alternative for people who don't want to play Railroad Tycoon, and I can't see any sensible reason from a mechanics standpoint to play Birmingham over The Cost unless all you care about is the pwetty pikchures.

likewise, Hansa Teutonica does everything that's actually fun about Birmingham in a far more elegant way, and quicker.

neither of those games get as much credit because the hype machine on here and everywhere only cares about art style, which is pathetic.
>>
>>78570885
There are tons of card driven wargames, but the TS mechanic where the opponents events still fire is fairly unique. 1989 or 1960: Making of the President are both very similar to TS though. I'm not a fan because they're just too similar I'd rather just play TS if that's what I'm in the mood for.
>>
>>78571088
>hansa teutonica which got a glowing susd review and sold out all over the place gets no credit.

OK mate
>>
What's with the ______of the West Kingdom spam? How many shit tier worker placement games of that type need come out? Is it some sort of money laundering scheme?
>>
>>78530083
just play original brass (which has actual great art)

i'd love to play hansa but i mostly play 2p
>>
>>78571329

yes, from them, not from plebs
>>
>>78571394

I'll try it next since I might as well. I hear it's more cut-throat, which is always a plus with me.
>>
>>78571420
i have yet to find a more elegant design than brass

to me, vital lacerda is what happens when people with no design talent try to emulate complex games like brass. just clutter with no elegance.
>>
protip for anyone on Tabletop Simulator

plug the following into the search bar to search all public games except with the cancer filtered out

a, e, i, o, u, -digimon -marvel -codenames -stardew -uno -blackjack -inn -monopoly -cosmic -villainous -munchkin -isaac -edh -splendor -hold'em
>>
>>78568322
>new angeles

falls in the category "if you can get 5-6 people..." but many games are like that - i'd rather play sidereal confluence if i could get that much people often.

>wargame
>sci-fi
>twilight struggle

i dunno. wish they would make imperial struggle in space.
>>
>>78560785
Human punishment
>>
>>78561105
I thought you were self-aware enough to know you have absolutely no idea what makes a good social game.
>>
These threads instantly get shitter when namefags start posting in it. This thread really is like the old 4chan.
>>
>>78563999
>Get fuckin' Love Letter, you square. But get the older version with the painted art instead of that new version.
Oh god, so it got the Citadel treatment huh? Look at that princess, it looks like she's an instagram thot taking a fucking mirror selfie. WHY
>>
>>78547304
Webm would be better, cannot pause gifs.
>>
>>78566948
Get the extra players expansion. It let's you play up to 6 but more importantly it gives each player a slightly different starting deck
>>
>>78568311
>>tfw it's the only thread that feels like 4chan did 13 years ago
/awg/ /osrg/ and /acg/ are still decent
>>
>>78573623
Because that's literally what she's doing in the April fools version
>>
>>78574332
thanks anon
>>
>>78563648
good thing i don't have to choose
>>
>>78568322
Don't get Ogre
>>
>>78574434
Jesus fucking christ it just keeps getting worse
>>
>>78576940
O’Sullivan predicted this: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=O’Sullivan’s%20Law
>>
>>78572410

sus
>>
>>78560785
Mafia de Cuba
>>
>>78559211
No you fucking moron, they didn't suddenly reappraised Brass Lancashire. They just insisted Birmingham "fixes" Lancashire despite having the exact same "flaws" they described on their original review, some getting even worse (rules overhead)
>>
>>78560785
Human Punishment
>>
>>78579284
They probably do think that.

Play brass, don't enjoy it
Play Birmingham, enjoy it

Easy for them to assume that there was a reason beyond table dynamics and their different life experiences
>>
File: ameritrash.jpg (60 KB, 451x630)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>78560954
Only bad ones always turn into WLB. Though to be fair, WLB still has the advantage of being less of a waste of time, as you noted.

>>78561105
No. The deduction is incredibly simplistic and the game is wildly vulnerable to even simple metagaming. Amusing when played for laughs, but laughable as an actual game.

>>78565791
Salem and Deception are good, Bang Dice is a hell of a lot better than Bang but still not good.

>>78572104
>>78579303
Easily the best of the good-cop-bad-cop derived ones, but it hasn't really clicked for me.

>>78579222
Can have pretty lame duck games on occasion, but has surprisingly good player agency for a social deduction most of the time.

>>78561125
I don't like any of those except BotC and Cryptid, even without getting into stupid unhelpful taxonomic arguments about which are social deduction.
>>
Is gloomhaven fun?? I got two buddies that wanna play it tonight, but it just looks like dnd on rails. It honestly doesn't look that fun from what I've watched.
>>
>>78579667
lol what a pic
>>
>>78580689
the real question is how he got a pic of steev
>>
>>78580463
Maybe if you're into the kind of tactical combat system it features, I was very bored when I tried it. Pretty big shock given how hyped the game was (is?)
>>
>>78580463
Start with Jaws of the lion. It's decent if you want tactical combat but there aren't any story options or anything
>>
>>78580463
It's alright. The combat feels more like a puzzle game with traps and the chained damage you can perform. It's neat but a bit of a pain in the ass to set up and break down.
>>
I feel that Ameritrash is super derogatory. I feel ameriawesome is more accurate and less insulting.
>>
how does Age of steam compare to 18xx series? Is it worth investing into it or is it just simpler, more euro-ish 18xx?
>>
>>78581153
Give Europoors this one. It's all they have.
>>
>>78581153
Grow a thicker skin, Yank
>>
right as I went to upload this, I saw that Grindr had banned me for my previous board game contest solicitation image.

fuck.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (8 KB, 260x194)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2021/4/8/22360190/best-board-games
>>
>>78583173

LMAO
>>
>>78529932
I wish I played that as a kid
>>
>>78579667
Is there a 'Eurogamer' version of this?
>>
>>78581153
SJW scum
>>
>>78583035
$40 fucking dollars....

When did you accidentally go to boot camp?
>>
>>78549685
If you know anything about Bronze Age history and don't get your tidbit talking point factoids from the I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE crowd, you'd know the Bronze Age empires were all palace economies, where commoners were all debt slaves and serfs in tightly controlled economies. I can pretty much guarantee that the labor building the pyramids were all working off debts or had no other alternatives, and any amenities supplied to them were to keep the workforce alive and in good condition, not unlike keeping prison labor in working order rather than working them to death.
>>
>>78581153
How ameritrash can you be if you care about people making fun of you
That's euro energy, son
>>
>>78581153
Well to the guy who called this place classic 4chan was wrong. Bait would never have been this fucking easy.
>>
Who wants to play Qwixx?

https://botwise.games/TAGP
>>
>>78553146
This is an abomination. All weebs out.
>>
It’s Friday night, you dirty dogs. Anyone playing anything good this evening?

Me and the lady are staying at an inn for our anniversary, so I brought along Arboretum to play during downtime. We haven’t played yet, but hopefully we’ll find time tomorrow. Our room has a jacuzzi, though, so I’m not sure we’ll find the time.

I did, however, do a Time Spiral draft with the boys this past week, which was incredible. I went mono white rebels with knights and ended up doing pretty well. The other decks were black/red madness and mono blue control. I think everyone had a good time.

Cheers, boys. Hope everyone gets into something good this weekend.
>>
>>78585966
Sounds nice where are you staying?
>>
>>78559334
Get better friends
>>
>>78583372
It was a fucking joke, nerd. Fuck off, faggot
>>
>>78584065
Idgaf
>>
>>78556829
I'm jealous that you got the box with the superior art while I have the one festooned with nurgle shtuff all over it
the box I have isn't bad, but the one you have is the superior one
>>
>>78540209
>other than surface-level inclusivity?
Can't that be enough? If you're a man who virtue signals about how "inclusive" you are , I will treat you like the belly-crawling, snivelling, mewling little cowardly faggot you are.
>>
>>78541738
Don't you hold out on me! What's it like?
>>
>>78584427
>Implying even a single of those replies is serious
And even if so (good one), mine wasn't
>>
>>78583813
>I can pretty much guarantee
Rather listen to Egyptologists than to you. Slaves in ancient Egypt are something totally different from a serf/free farmer.

-Temples, Tombs, and Hieroglyphs by Barbara Mertz
>>
>>78587698
>Can't that be enough?

Nah, I think that having exclusively white male casts is boring unless there is a bespoke compelling reason for it. It can validly be seen as jarring in some circumstances, like Paleo.

Likewise, there’s inclusivity that tries way too hard like that Floor Plan game another anon pointed out, and that’s even more jarring.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/275469/floor-plan

Anyway, SUSD aren’t SJWs because they don’t let these quibbles consume them; they treat them as asides, as quibbles. Some schizo in the thread said SUSD “freaked out” over the slavery card in Kemet (which is under the “White Power” group in the game, lol) but Quinns didn’t, he just mentioned it and joked about it and moved onto gushing about how awesome the game was.

That is the key: SUSD first and foremost cares about whether games are awesome, and social justice is only a tertiary concern. SJWs don’t care about games (nor games criticism), just making sure everything politically agrees with them. The annoying faggots who write SUSD off completely (and make a show of it in these threads) because they even mention inclusivity or whatever in their reviews are being far worse SJWs than SUSD are, and they care far less about games than SUSD does.
>>
I think the most resonant argument I’ve seen for inclusivity as a general principle is the movie Palindromes, by Todd Solondz. It is, like all his movies, an extremely morbid yet dead-on accurate skewering of suburban America and all of its problems, especially the unspoken ones. It will make you squirm and laugh hard against your will.

It’s about a little girl named Aviva who has gotten it into her head that she wants to be a mother, and as soon as possible, by any means necessary, and she runs away to make that happen. The movie takes her seriously.

Aviva is played by eight different actors of different ages, races, and even an androgynous boy. Yet it’s unpretentious and it works. A fat black girl has the best part.

Todd Solondz movies are profoundly misanthropic and exploit all that is cringe, all that is unspeakable. They are not for everyone, which is to say, they are not for fragile bitches with no sense of humor, regardless of their political leanings. He is my favorite director because he sees us truly from the outside, and in his movies, in all the horrendous ways people communicate in them, I feel seen.
>>
>>78556829
I've got second print still in shrink wrap. Can't bring myself to open it.
>>
>>78588280
Stow your fucking movie review up your ass, this isn't tv you fucking moron
>>
>>78588378
I want it
>>
Anyone looking for a bargain? 99% off.
>>
>>78588393
Can't bring myself to get rid of it either.
>>
>>78588388

All understanding is interconnected.
>>
>>78587477
Who cares about the box.
The nurgle one has full bleed artwork and updated player sheets which us much more important.
>>
>>78588512
Nothing matters
>>
>>78588467
Ah, well I tried. WHY ARE ALL THE GOOD GAMES OOP
>>
>>78588219
I don't think you've watched more than the Susd videos you've been shown if you came to that conclusion. They have many reviews where they make the lack of diversity a central complaint which supposedly impacts their enjoyment, and many where they ,"increase the score" when games look diverse. Go watch their Dune review and Chinatown(gameplay) if you don't believe me.
>>
>>78588765
War of the Ring isn't.

But Battle of the Five Armies is.

I'd say you're half right.
>>
>>78588455
*99.9% off*
Well, I guess I have to. Such savings!
>>
File: Cyril_Sneer.jpg (11 KB, 210x240)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Frendly reminder to consoom more cardboard and plastic while we still have natural resources. It's not an addiction. You're just helping speed up the process.
>>
>>78583035
I'm grateful I can grow a beard. Those awful puberty years before you learn to shave are the worst. Is Grindr as bad as it sounds? It sounds like some kind of trashy metal band name.
>>
>>78573623
It looks more like they got woke and now feel the need to make everybody either ugly or not white. No problem with diversity in art, but there are beautiful latinos, black women, and asians that they could have put on those cards. I mean art is something you imagine. I want escapism. I don't want to feel like I'm playing a game made out of clip art from propaganda posters.
>>
>>78588765
Every Pac, COIN and Cthulhu Wars product is in print.
You're only missing out on Forbidden Stars, Stracraft and Netrunner.

Btw. Bought myself a SLA Resin printer to print the fan made expansions for Forbidden Stars and Starcraft. Cant fuckin wait!
>>
So a while ago I got myself a Go set and wanted to get into the game IRL. Now with Corona that's obviously kinda fucked.

Anyway, one thing I noticed about Go is how overly convoluted all of the manuals that I found are.
Are there any good instructions that don't require you to read dozens of pages to even understand how scoring works?
I've read multiple manuals, played a few games and even bought a book and I only barely have a grasp on it.
For example, an enemy piece inside of your territory means that it's not your territory. But then there's this ill-defined rule where apparently all opposing pieces inside of a territory are removed at the end of the game, so it seems like that rule doesn't even have reason to exist.

I don't need an explanation of that specific rule, as I can certainly get that information myself.
I'd just like to have something more concise and well-written that I could serve to newcomers that I'm trying to get into the game.
I would write it myself, but I'm myself way too new to grasp the game well enough for that.
>>
>>78588219
I had some interest in floor plan, but I can ignore them and look at other factors and it seemed like an idea that’s been attempted multiple times with Tetris shapes and I’m not sure if this one was different enough to matter. Anyone played it and can judge solely on the gameplay alone?
>>
>>78589960
This is my issue with go as well. Since I don't understand the scoring, I don't know how to judge whether a move is good or bad. So I end up making moves arbitrarily and being confused at the end when I have to figure out the score.
>>
>>78589909
Ra is oop, as if an infamous traffic, blood bowl team manager, space Hulk death angel, blue moon legends (I'm an idiot selling that game), princess of Florence
Lot of fantastic stuff that weren't even KS exclusive bs have since become tough to come by
>>
>>78590239
>ra
to be reprinted soon
>an infamous traffic
wehrleshit that your group won't play cause there's no animals. also if you don't think he's gonna kickstart that next after John Company you're deluding yourself
>Blood bowl team manager
>Space hulk
Imagine caring about games workshop
>Blue moon legends
Just make an mtg cube
>"princess" of florence
available on ebay right now for 15 bucks. Bet you could find it cheaper on BGG if you're patient
>>
>>78590239
Ra, An Infamous Traffic and Princes of Florence are getting reprints.
Space Hulk Death Angel hasnt aged well and is easly surpassed.
Same with Bloow Bowl and Blue Moon.
>>
most negative
>Staying with a friend, he’s going to have some friends over to play a game.
>What game will we be playing?
>Catan. I had never played it before
>”Don’t worry anon, we will teach you the rules.”
>friends arrive. Drinking starts. No one explains anything. Game progresses. They are taking it very seriously.
>I make an unoptimized move due to not knowing the rules
>get laughed at by one player who calls me an idiot
>another player furious over my move because it benefitted her rival & not her screams at me.
>”This is my first time playing. I don’t even know the rules. Why don’t I just take back the move?”
>”NO TAKEBACKS!”
>filled with the fury of a thousand dying suns. It’s prison rules.
>Next time my turn rolls around, I offer up a trade. No one wants to trade with me as it’s “funny” that I can’t build what I need to.
>host takes pity on me, decides to trade
>He makes me a decent offer for 1 sheep.
>I throw in the rest of my resources for that one sheep
>look guy who laughed at me dead in the eye
>”who is laughing now?”
>girl who screamed at me starts protesting the trade
>”You said no takebacks, remember?”
>host wins, everyone at table pissed
>to this day I will never play setters of catan
>>
File: baddragondelivery.jpg (3.1 MB, 4160x3120)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
A box was delivered today. Will it be....?
>>
>>78590524
Oath cuz your an Ozzie and the antipodes got blessed this time around
>>
>>78590524
Pax Vik and Ren.
Got mine today!
Very happy boyo here!
>>
are (newer) board games always out of print this often or is this a COVID thing?
i've been looking for Cosmic Frog, Sheriff of Nottingham, Captain Sonar, Quacks of Quedlinburg, Fury of Dracula
>>
File: pax.jpg (2.7 MB, 4160x3120)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>78590894
Well damn, got it in one!
>>
>>78592115
Covid isn't helping, but popular games have kind of always had supply issues.
>>
Which categories of mechanics do you think are necessary to have covered in your game collection?

Bonus question: What is the best game for each mechanic?
>>
Found this neat twist on Yahtzee with an element of Farkle in it. It’s pretty neat. It’s on BGA.
>>
>>78592217
You based in Scandinavia or something?
>>
>>78593167
Yeah, Swedish west coast
>>
>>78590519
Takebacks are cancer. Honestly, they should have poured a bottle of honey on you, forced you to roll around on a pile of meeples, and then tied you to a tree for the bears to finish you off.
>>
>>78589960
You should ask your local Go community when the Covid-19 hoax is over. Wait, there is no local Go group...
>>
>>78593427
Whoa whoa whoa!

Covid is not a hoax.

People who believe it to be instadeath deserve their loneliness.

Why isn’t r/gogamemeetups a thing?
>>
>>78590519
this should go under the most embarrassed you've been because you sound like a real bitch
you could've reminded them to explain the rules
you could've asked questions
you could've just taken your lumps for your first game
no takebacks is the default
and you NEVER go scorched earth - only babies do that
i'd have never invited you back
>>
Anybody got simple games that are really simple to learn but have cut-throat mechanics?
Me and my buds really like
Secret Hitler and Werewolf
But we got a group of friends who really like game that are simple and were you can fuck people over like
Monopoly,Catan, we tried fireball island on tts and had a blast
Any suggestions?
>>
>>78594501
Intrigue, coup, modern art, startups, deep sea adventure, no thanks!, Arboretum, and for sale
My group really enjoys lighter "fuck you and the horse you rode in on" games
>>
>>78594929
>and for sale
Yeah! We play coup aswell can you tell me what Can you tell me more?
>>
>>78594501
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Ca$h 'n Gun$
Cockroach Poker
Cosmic Encounter
Carcassonne (seems too laidback to call 'cutthroat' but you do screw each over and it's simple)
Pan Am
Red Dragon Inn
Azul
Sheriff of Nottingham
Unstable Unicorns
>>
>>78595153
Seconding sheriff, cosmic encounter, survive, and cockroach poker
>>
>>78594501
>>78594929
>>78595083
>>78595153
>>78595264
I can’t second all of these suggestions, but a lot of them I can.

Also try katego as a free game. If you got odd number of players, it’s perfect for neutralizing somebody’s good roll.

Also qwingo is free if you can work Microsoft Excel and do 5 columns by 12 rows. Or you could draw it by hand.

It’s open information and you can really fuck people over calling numbers that they can’t use.
>>
>>78594501
Good Cop Bad Cop is a different spin on the "find out who's not on my team, and kill them" (AKA Social Deduction) types of games that you say you like. You get to nervously eye people up while pointing guns at them, unsure whether you actually want to shoot them. It's not intelligent and probably has problems if people try to take it seriously, but it's a blast for twenty minutes of fun.
>>
>>78590524
Dragon dildos finally or gtfo.
>>
>>78589909
CW is shit
>>
>>78589960

Go scoring is very simple. At the end of the game (when both players decide to pass), both players will have clearly defined territory (which the opponent won’t want to play inside). If there are any stones that both players agree are dead, they are given to the captor.

Each open space in a player’s territory, and each captured stone, is worth a point for them.

Just place each captured stone inside the opponent’s territory, and then count the open spaces. Whoever has more open spaces wins.

There may or may not be a point handicap (komi) given to the player who goes second.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.