[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Welcome to the not yet tried edition of /bgg/.

Previous Thread: >>78427647

Thread Questions:

What game(s) have you bought, but haven’t played yet?

Why haven’t you played them?

Are you still buying more games whilst those others remain unplayed?

What games are you buying next despite having a stack that you haven’t played?
>>
>>78480016
>What game(s) have you bought, but haven’t played yet?
Pendragon
>Why haven’t you played them?
Too lazy and tired to read the rules.
>Are you still buying more games whilst those others remain unplayed?
Y-yes, or at least i plan to.
>What games are you buying next despite having a stack that you haven’t played?
Probably backing John Company, waiting for Forbidden stars deluxe (creator said he's gonna launch KS this year but i doubt its gonna start before 2022), 1830, Arkwright is probably going to have reprint in Q3 so im buying this one too, new edition of Clash of Cultures, FCM, Might buy Pericles and Sekigahara if im gonna have any spare money, Also Sidreal Confluence if i won't be able to bait my friend into buying it.
Besides this, I have no plans to spend any more on board games although there is Empyreal KS starting soon with new dlc, but i think it's too euro-ish for my taste.
>>
>>78480016
Munchkin.
I watched a playthrough with Wesley Crusher on YouTube and it killed all my enthusiasm for trying it out.
Nope. Though I've developed an addiction to buying Chess related courses and books that I have to kick now.
Thankfully none. I'm am slowing getting a handle on my overconsumption of paper and cardboard products.
>>
>>78480016
7 Wonders, Carcassonne, Cosmic Encounter, Coup, Flick 'Em Up: Dead of Winter, Heroscape, Horrified, Survive: Escape from Atlantis, Trapwords, Werewords
haven't had them long, been playing other new stuff, wasn't the right group/number of people
slowed down but there's still a couple i'm looking for
depends what i can get a deal on but i'm looking for Cosmic Frog, Captain Sonar, Wavelength, The Quacks of Quedlinburg, Sheriff of Nottingham
>>
>>78478298
Yeah man, you have permission to share it anywhere you know about! In fact, I super appreciate it!
>>
Seafall
Pandemic
Of course
Thats the only unplayed game I have. Getting some games for my bday and will probably back Hippocrates. Will probably buy some lighter games like Hive and Watergate to play with my SO and preorder Spires End to solo.
>>
>>78480016
Barrage, 1817, 1822mx, Fire in the Lake.
I want to play them outside of TTS with 3 heavy gamer friends which is a bit of an obstacle considering the times.
Yes
John Company 2
Imperium: Legends/Civilizations
VtES 5th edition
Clash of Cultures Monumental

>>78480507
Finally!
Someone with taste.
>>
>>78480016

Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra
Click Clack Lumberjack
The Crew
Imperial Struggle
Mental Blocks
Raptor
Tak
Through the Desert
Undaunted: Normandy
>>
just did a line count and apparently I own 69 board games. guess my collection is complete.
>>
Rising Sun, Millennium Blades, Bullet<3

Why haven’t you played them?
Rising Sun was an impulse buy that I wasn't super interested in. I'm looking to actually trade it away,
Millennium Blades and Bullet<3 haven't arrived yet.

Yes

I'd like to grab 7 Wonders. The people I know who owned it I don't see anymore.
>>

Power Grid, Race Through the Galaxy, Jaws, FCM expansion, Cosmic Frog

Friends still being afraid of the coof. In a month I think I will play them once they get vaccinated.

I hope I don't. Not planning to at the moment.

The John Company/Pax Pamir KS is catching my eye, but I don't FOMO very often so I probably won't be tempted. I might buy an updated copy of Blood Bowl of I am successful with launching a league.
>>
>>78480016
Anima: Shadow of Omega
Commands & Colors: Samurai Battles
Race for the Galaxy

Anima was a mistake just from reading the rules so I'm not going to bother, C&C Samurai Battles will come out when I can meet my buddy in person again, Race for the Galaxy will come out after we rebuild our in-person group with new people to replace the ones who moved away

Yes

Sakura Arms, Talon, Red Dust Rebellion, SpaceCorp, Expansion or Extinction, Twilight Struggle Red Sea. Most of these are obviously P500'd.
>>
>>78480016
Fort, tournament at Avalon, Liberation, Skulls of Sedlec, Agropolis, Combopolis, Imperial struggle, sidereal confluence, shadows of malice, Sekigahara, Guards of Atlantis, Oath, Sakura Arms, Dinosaur Table Battles, This Guilty Land.
Some are KS/preorders that haven't arrived yet, others were preorders that only came in during full swing of lockdown. A few other games I bought physical copies of we've since played online like Dale of Merchants, Cuba Libre, and Cosmic Frog, but I'm eager to play them in real life.
Yes
Atm the only things I've preordered/backed are the latest Root expansion and Red Dust Rebellion. Tempted to find a second hand copy of Hansa Teutonica. Found a nice scripted mod on TTS so I will likely learn and teach it to group in the coming weeks

Now bonus round. Old professor that mentored me a decade ago I've since befriended and had join our game group. Here's his back catalogue we also have to tackle: Bios Megafauna, Bios Origins, Greenland, Roads and Boats, Nevsky, Container, Fire in the Lake, the field of the cloth of gold, Westphalia, Lisboa, Here I Stand, Archipelago, Conquest of Paradise, The Great Zimbabwe, Profiteers, Lincoln, Targi, Warsaw, Petrichore, Watergate, The Vote, Patchwork, New York Zoo, FCM: the ketchup expansion.
I've created a monster but now I'm not the only one that researches/buys games.
...he's currently being bullied by our group into backing John Company 2 as our gang loves Root/An Infamous Traffic/Pax Pamir 2
>>
I've played neither Scythe nor Dune yet.

I'm looking forward to playing Scythe; I just have to read through the rulebook once more.

I bought Dune prematurely because I was worried they were going to change and/or "diversify" it given the upcoming film.

I'm trying not to, but I'm an opportunistic buyer. I'll buy something I know I'll want to play it eventually if it's a title that regularly sells out.

Cosmic Frog looks cool. So does Pax Pamir. But I don't think I can get Pamir on Amazon last I checked.
>>
>>78480744
>Munchkin
If possible, find someone who already owns it so that you can give it a try without buying it yourself. With Munchkin, a few plays will pretty much let you know whether or not you want to play it again.
>>
>>78480016
Of stuff actually in my possession, I think it's just Lords of Hellas right now. And that was a gift.
Unconvinced it's worth the effort with so many other good dudes-on-a-map on the shelf.
I'm not going to stop buying games altogether because I can't (yet) be bothered to resell something that isn't hitting the table.
Probably fire in the lake. GMT needs to happen this year.
>>
>>78483162
>Probably fire in the lake. GMT needs to happen this year.
Fucking finally.
Now, Spirit Island w. Jagged Earth expansion when.
>>
Too many to count. Only got into the hobby a few months ago but I went full autismo and bought tons of shit that looked interesting.
Only time I get to play at length is with my wife after our kid is asleep. Maybe and hour and a half daily.
Of course I am. Just backed 7 moons. I'd follow gunpowder studios into the gates of hell. Bag of Dungeon is too good.
Tried to grab cursed city but missed the preorder window. Might grab an abstract or two. Maybe a city builder.
>>
File: image.jpg (1.6 MB, 4032x3024)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
Start a thread about consoomerism and it fucking takes off like a Saturn V rocket...

Amazing.
>>
>>78483438
What can I say? I love cardboard and plastic trinkets. How's that Battleship card game supposed to be?
>>
>>78483498
I saw RSR’s vid on it and it is an improvement on battleship. Imagine a grid of cards like memory and a hand of cards that allow power ups, multiple shots, and some other abilities. After watching Mark and his wife play, I picked it up at the grocery store where I had seen it. Watching Game Night teach me Copenhagen’s roll and write. Possibly because I seem to learn and make less errors watching a game played than reading the rules.

Fucked up kingdom dice and divy dice on setup or execution on our first attempts. So reading and executing aren’t things I’m very good at.
>>
File: 1617583950169991040471.jpg (1.63 MB, 2560x1920)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
>>
>>78483900
I have no clue what in looking at. Is this some variant of Omen?
>>
File: dommy onion.jpg (164 KB, 1080x1080)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>78480016
Many, many since the start of the pandemic. The ones I am most eager to play are Irish Gauge and Princes of Florence
The aforementioned pandemic. Hopefully my game group will start up again soon.
I hope not, but I probably will. I've been able to pick up many of the games on my want list, and luckily new games aren't very exciting to me. Many of my friends are more eager to jump on new games then I am - I'd rather focus on rounding out my collection with proven winners.
Maybe a big group of games from either GMT or Hollandspiele.

What's the general consensus on Dominion expansions? I quite like Dominion, and I own the 2nd edition of the base game. The obvious next step is Intrigue, but I always wonder if money spent on expansions would go better toward a new game. I already own Trains, and I don't think I need a new deckbuilder, though.
>>
>>78480016
7 wonders and Jaws are the last that I purchased that are unplayed. I do a ton of print and play games so my current list of finished and unplayed games is: Pax pamir, subterra, cockroach poker, omen, are you an alien?, lightspeed, arkon, village pillage, and don't stop.
My regular gaming group fell apart so I've mostly been playing solo games or simple games with my wife's friends
Yup, primarily solo games
The expansions I'm missing for marvel champions, nemesis (or just printing it out since I don't need the minis), mage knight, renegade, spirit island
>>
>>78483438
Could you imagine having that long haired fuck as a grandpa?
>>
>>78483917
Elysium
>>
So... Anybody play any board games this weekend? Have any sweet experiences?

I'm not sure if it counts, but me and two buddies did a Time Spiral draft today. Was pretty fun.
>>
File: file.png (3.02 MB, 1843x933)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB PNG
Man this is shaping up to be fucking great, im quite pleased with myself
i gotta learn to use clipart and stolen google art more when making prototypes, when i made my own art it normaly ends looking like shit
except those coins, they look pretty good
>>
>>78480016
space cadets and galaxy hunter
lack of people to play with
yeah
space cadets dice duel
>>
I just met a cute gay guy at his place and played YINSH against him and he played depressingly badly (among the worst players and I’ve played against dozens and dozens of random people, especially at bars pre-COVID), and turned my attention to his movie collection which was a very broad but basic assortment of comedy and horror and Disney movies with no surprises, and then he showed me his game collection and the first object in the drawer was Cards Against Humanity and the second was Disney Scene It! and various other flavors of Scene It!, and he had that gay voice and that gay gym/bar hopping vibe, and I had my head in my hands and said I had to go and I’m sorry.

He said he’s glad I came and I could hit him up any time and play another game, then he blocked me on the way out, so I don’t feel a shred of guilt.

Have you ever met a redeemable human being who owns Cards Against Humanity?
>>
>>78483207
Feed me houserules that let a player pilot the colonists.
>>
>>78484124
My grandfathers were silent generation and GI generation. They knew how to be old. Boomers and Xer’s color their hair and worry that someone might realize that they’re old. I don’t know how the fuck this happened seemingly overnight.
>>
>>78484326
You should have introduced him to Qwixx.
>>
>>78484326
Fuck off.
>>
>>78484243
Going into the long weekend, Thursday night played a bunch of filler games on BGA with local and faraway friends. 6 nimmt, 7 wonders, Draftosaurus, Via Magica. Was a fun time
On Friday, played Tammany Hall for first time, group had a blast.
Then did some 1v1 Res Arcana last night, that last round if you think you got it locked think again. If you finish your combo and end at 10-12 points and pass, that other player might surprise you and tweak their engine to finish just a bit higher, or almost and give you a scare. Love the drafting variant, can't go back to randomly dealt decks anymore.
Super jelly about time spiral remastered draft. Every time wotc creates a product interesting enough for me to get back into mtg in some sealed form with my buddies, supply gets gimped, prices go up, and I lose my appetite to return.
>>
File: 1565793984019.jpg (25 KB, 400x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>78484422
:(
At this point I'm just joshing but it also makes me sad that your wishes really can't be met without a complete dismantling of the programming/play telegraphing that makes the game what it is.
>>
>>78484502

Sorry we don’t all have GMT groups, Anon.
>>
>>78482903
I already own it, so that's great advice if you have a time machine I can borrow. I can have it back by yesterday.
>>
>>78484560
Eventually someone in my immediate group will pick it up, and maybe I could be talked into giving it a try at that point. I don't think there's any chance of me picking up a copy but it sounds a hell of a lot less fucking miserable than goddamn pandemic.
>>
>>78484326
>Have you ever met a redeemable human being who owns Cards Against Humanity?
It's a pretty common game depending on the age of the owner. Terrible game, but common. It's like judging somebody for owning a copy of Monopoly. It probably depends on whether or not they actually play the game regularly and still somehow enjoy it.
>>
>>78482903
>>78484680

Munchkin gets a lot of hate, but honestly it's a good way to spend an hour or two. There are much much worse games out there and the cards and illustrations are pretty funny.
>>
>>78484483
It's all consumerism and addiction. They also like to hoard dust collecting trinkets for some reason.
>>
File: XSzjB9Ch.jpg (25 KB, 440x337)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>78484729
>an hour or two
>two
>two mind-rending hours of fucking munchkin
>>
File: 43545234.jpg (625 KB, 1063x1068)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
>>78484760
Only a worthy warrior who has endured the Rite of Ascension could know such pain.
>>
>>78484499
Kek
>>
>>78480016
Chaos in the Old World
Forbidden Stars
Blood Bowl 3rd edition
Space Hulk
They're still in shrink wrap.
>>
Someone redpill me on John Company.
>>
>>78485526
>Redpill me on a board game
What the fuck kind of hidden truth do you think exists about a board game? Just go to BGG. Watch a YouTube video. Fuck.
>>
>>78483557
The grid is unneeded and only relevant for display purposes. You could keep the sea cards in a stack and let the opponent pick any card at random from a fan of the cards. This would cut down on its foot print considerably. Otherwise I I really liked what I saw for that game.
>>
>>78486325
The grid is needed in order to resemble the original battle ship.

My wife and I loved the volleyball card game from top gun, but the game shifted between the two games too often. Made it not that much fun.

They should have just marketed the volleyball card game.
>>
File: goose.png (61 KB, 180x240)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>78486348
>we loved the shit half of the game and switching to the good half all the time ruined it
>>
>>78485526
>redpill me
Okay, John Company is a boardgame released in a world where Israeli intelligence officers engineered attacks using aircraft to crash into the World Trade Centre. This was done to fuel a conflict to surround Iran and cement Israeli security in the Middle East. Also, the holocaust didn't happen.
>>
>>78487088

The Holocaust did happen; it just had nothing to do with Jews.
>>
I just learned Concordia from a rando on TTS who was incredibly enthusiastic about the game, said it was one of his favorite games ever, and turned out to have been playing the game entirely wrong the whole time and taught us the game wrong too.

1) He thought that building costs were to be paid in *either* goods *or* gold, as listed. It's actually both. The "either" rule would make building costs drastically cheaper.

2) He thought that every player starts with 0 gold. Actually, the first player starts with 5 gold and each successive player gets 1 more.

3) He thought that the goods cost on cards was incurred when the card is played. It is actually incurred only when the card is bought from the display.

There's only 5 pages of rules and setup. I'm impressed.

This is part of why I generally prefer to learn games by reading the rules instead of being taught.
>>
File: pic4089302.jpg (215 KB, 1015x630)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>just got through one game of Shadows of Brimstone
Thing was really fun but did it really need to have that many cards? Holy fuck, where are you even supposed to keep the cards when the tiles hog so much space? Charts in a book would have been better.
>>
>>78484725
CaH is only good as a set of alternative prompts for other actually good party games like Codenames or Telestrations
If I'm forced into playing it, I'll insist on playing black cards which require more than one white card, so players have to actually attempt to assemble a novel joke that's funny themselves rather than just go "HAHA THE OBVIOUS JOKE THEY THOUGHT OF WHEN THEY MADE THE BLACK CARD"
But I also don't play with people who actively choose to play CaH

>tfw fucking love auction games
>tfw no-one else in my group enjoys them
I just want to play Tulip Bubble
>>
>>78486724
The air combat was way too short
>>
>>78482610
The Vote is one of my most underrated games from last year. If you aren't filtered by the theme, it's extremely cutthroat and pretty thinky.
>>
>>78485526
It's like running your own business but everyone takes turns running it and the name of the game is to enrich yourself but not so much that other players screw you over the whole game because there's really no mechanics that can keep them from doing it. So a 3 hour game boils down to the last turn 90% of the time.

It seems like a slog considering there are better economic games out there where you can build an engine and run the hell out of it and tell other players to pound sand if they try to stop you.
>>
>>78484292
Check out "the noun project" tons of royalty free art
>>
>>78491238
But the game isn't about making money.
The game is about prestige. The person who makes the most money doesn't all too often win
>>
File: you.png (1.93 MB, 1440x1443)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
>>78491238
>t. durr, I liek multiplayer solitaire
>>
>>78493246
This is why I can't stand most deck builders.
>>
>>78493246
>>t. durr, I liek multiplayer solitaire
we are not talking about terraforming mars here
>>
>>78491374
ill check it out. thanks
>>
>>78484560
I wonder if there's a way to have the invader deck as a hand of cards played by a player. You'd start with all 4 stage 1's, play them into the slots, eventually draw some 2's. Probably still not enough agency to make a game of it, though.
>>
>>78493246
Multiplayer solitaire? The key to stopping people in most good economic games is blow up their engine while making your engine strong and resistant to sabotage. That's the definition of player interaction.

Most of the interaction in JC happens off board and board state only has a tangential impact to it. If that's what you want, just play Diplomacy.
>>
File: DcO8dFBVMAAJoWN.jpg (237 KB, 900x1200)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>78493246
>multiplayer solitaire
This is how a lot of EDH MTG games feel. I did an intro game of Infinity with one of my EDH playgroup people. He seemed taken aback by the fact that him shooting my dude might cause his dude to get shot too. Can't just hugbox into an instawin in every game.

Dominion feels like multiplayer solitaire as well. I prefer the back and forth of games like Star/Hero Realms since you're forced to interact more. It seems to make people worse at co-op games as well.

In a Hero Realms campaign game the Cleric kept just focusing on building their deck instead of killing the boss. The warrior was upset that he was getting dogpiled by imps instead of fighting the boss and didn't want to play anymore rather than accepting that imp tanking made it much easier to kill the boss.
>>
>>78488212
I want it but it's too expensive for what it is desu. It looks _______________fun though
>>
>>78489073
Tulip Bubble looks neat
>>
File: 1529738572794.jpg (173 KB, 800x600)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
Is boardgaming being ruined by this "Gatta have a good first game" mentality? I look at games like Food Chain Magnate and Dune and think how amazing all these strategies develop over a group over time and how many great moments you have that develop from player's own decisions. Then I think about almost every modern game my public groups bring to the table. I see how railroaded into playing a way you are, I suffocate on the lack of agency any player has, I cringe at the absolute requirement that everyone have "a good time" and thus refuses to let anyone flat out lose from their poor decision making.

Been thinking about what's causing this and it really feels like all any modern game is designed to be is played twice or three times if lucky before you feel like you need to buy more content. I also hate the push for narrative elements rather than letting the game narrate itself through gameplay.
>>
>>78494862
if you didnt have fun playing a game why would you play it again?
my first time playing xia wasnt that much fun but i cant say i dislike it, the second time was way more fun

meanwhile the first time i played wingspan made me never want to touch that boring piece of shit again
>>
>>78480016
Orleans, Fury of Dracula, Dune
Every time I want to play a euro I pick something other than Orleans, don't know why. Fury I bought on halloween and didn't end up playing it then because of lockdowns and lately I haven't felt like a spooky game. Dune is cursed for me, every time we scheduled a game some random life stuff happens and it gets cancelled, idk why, We've managed to get TI4 to the table but not Dune.
Yeah.
I think I'm more or less done, I'll probably get some more but I've slowed down a lot. I'm pretty happy with my collection and I already don't have enough time to play all of the games I already have. I'll definitely get the TI4 expansion when it gets to europe. I've been eyeing Hansa Teutonica but I already have too many euro games... I might sell Terra Mystica though and get Hansa. Pax Pamir looks cool as well but I'll have to test it out on TTS because I doubt it'll be better than Pax Ren.
>>
>>78495048
I understand why they design it like that, but that mentality that you don't replay games needs to end. The universal thing everyone lists as something wrong with all the good games is that they can get curb stomped and thus is bad.
>>
>>78494862
I think the ideal game is one where the first game is usually good and then the subsequent games are even better. Dune is actually a good example if you can get 5-6 people for your first game and you select them well.

Having a good first game is important because with the abundant variety we have now, it's hard to justify repeatedly playing a game that you have a bad first impression of, since there are a LOT of games that both make a good first impression AND are really replayable, like...anything in Level99's catalogue, for example. Or a lot of GMT titles.

But there's definitely a disposability mindset emerging in certain sectors that I think is a bad influence, a good game should be very replayable. A game designed to only be played once or twice is usually very poor value for the money, and the way you have such a game is usually through either poorly-playtested design (such that a clear dominant strategy emerges early and just consistently wins) or through designing the game around narrative content (and so once you've seen all the content there's no point anymore).

Narrative driven board games need to stop. Turn your little creative writing project into a $10 VN or a CYOA book or something, don't take up retail inventory space with some $70 bloated monstrosity.
>>
>>78488212
SoB storage and table space management is an entire game in itself
>>
File: image 2.jpg (63 KB, 600x395)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>78495539
>Narrative driven board games need to stop.

but that's wrong you moron. Jerry White is the greatest living game designer by a wide margin.
>>
>>78495721
I don't mean that, I mean shit like TIME Stories
>>
>>78495539
>usually through either poorly-playtested design (such that a clear dominant strategy emerges early and just consistently wins) or through designing the game around narrative content (and so once you've seen all the content there's no point anymore).
There is a third which is the most prominent of them all. A game designed to just be crazy, give you the illusion of choice, but just tries to mask the fact that it's a slot machine of who gets zanier powers. Ironically, a L99 game is a great example of this, Empyreal. The core mechanics are so uninteresting and bad that I don't understand how anyone gets over that. It's design is entirely around a player power you get and then specialists you randomly draw and hope you get a good one. I understand the appeal of wanting to see combinations of things but these things are designed to only be sustainable through expansions of diminishing returns and nothing else. Millennium Blades is the same so I don't know why you listed L99 to be honest. They seem the most cancerous when it comes to this "Give them zany powers, balance nothing, make that zanyness give them the illusion of choice when at the end of the day, the winner is chosen randomly and everyone refuses to be called a loser while the winner gets a hollow accomplishment"
>>
File: 1569193574055.gif (96 KB, 205x234)
96 KB
96 KB GIF
>>78487763
>>
Is the Bloodborne board game any good? I was thinking about giving it to my friend as a gift. He loves Bloodborne but doesn't really play board games as far as I know.
>>
>>78497043
buy the cardgame instead
i've heard is pretty good
>>
Does /bgg/ need a code of conduct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQ7B3FgLy4
>>
>>78495721
never heard of him
>>
>>78497211
i just have a password

it starts with N and rhymes with rigger
>>
>>78484326
My friend brought us one of her boyfrienf candidates and that guy forced us to play it.
I decided to hate that guy from that moment onwards. Its good that the thing between them ended quite soon after, so that shit doesnt happen again.
>>
>>78497106
Its decent with the expansion, but the core game is just plagued with problems such as king making and no ways to catch up on people ahead.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (158 KB, 903x667)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Thoughts on Shogun?
>>
>>78494862
No need to disparage mechanism-rich games just because your tard group needs to 'backstab' one another in loose auction shitshows.
>>
You have to pick one
>The Quest for El Dorado
>Ticket to Ride: Europe
And you know you have a group of exactly 4 people to play fully casually, while drinking and talking, with the game as excuse to sit together.
>>
>>78498174
The Quest for El Dorado
>>
>>78494862
>Have bad time playing a game
>Never play that game again
>If someone insists on playing it again, they need to provide a good reason for that
Here, your "problem" solved, before you go retard and start to force another meme.
Or should I call it nu-me?

I had horrible time playing Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein (game is just too long and too boring) and thus never returned to it.
I had bad time playing It's a Wonderful World (and so was my group), but then one of the guys said he played it online and turns out it's actually good. We returned to it and it turned out to be fun.
This is not some fucking rocket science.
>>
>>78498174
>>78498196
I forgot to add
"Why"
>>
>>78494564
It's just off brand Warhammer Quest.
>>
>>78498426
I like SoB's theme. WH is eh
>>
>>78498291
It's not about insisting some people give a game a second chance, it's about the lengths designers are going to make sure a game plays super consistently, afraid that any amount of skill or player dictated fun built into the game will make it too scary for anyone.
>>
>>78497949
probably my favorite board game
>>
>>78498537
That is quite literally all that SoB is.
>>
>>78499455
oh yeah? and why is that?
>>
>>78497949
Perfect example of uber boring solitaire multiplayer. Most actions harm you more than your opponent, instead of participating in the game just hide in the corner and win economically when everyone else is fighting 100% of the time. Expansions aren't fixing the issues since at the core it's still just game of Risk, with a theme. They only add some more or less cool feature tot he game. Tower of RNG is fun but not enough to make it good, it's just a cool feature in at best mediocre game. Still better than Scythe.
>>
>>78499617
cause its fun
>>
>>78499550
I'm positive there are some die rolls in there, somewhere
>>
Man, you Scythe haters crack me up. Is it prefect? No. It's better than a ton of dreck that's out right now though, that's a 100% certainty.
>>
>>78494862

I would love for my playgroup to play FCM more but it does first impressions terribly.
>>
File: Foiled Again.jpg (114 KB, 600x686)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>78498995
>Things that never happend outside anons head: The Post
>>
>>78498995
But you know what? Let's give you a sliver of good faith, just to trash you some more:
Provide use an example of 5 games that do this kind of thing and how thye are achieving that goal. You know, if it's so common, you should be just getting examples from your sleeve, with zero effort. Surely you can give us just 5 examples
>>
>>78500080
As fun as using a Harry Potter Luna Lovegood for the sorceress with the dragon breath spell and a ninja melee stick can be, it's not unique.
>>
>>78499740
>Most actions harm you more than your opponent, instead of participating in the game just hide in the corner and win economically when everyone else is fighting 100% of the time
... is this bait, or just Ameritrash bitching about game being something else than all-out fight?
>>
>>78500140
Let me use a comparison you will probably fail to understand:
Scythe is the Slumdog Millionaire of the board games.
Also
>There are worse-smelling shits than the big dung I've made
>This makes my dung good
It's not working like that, sweetie
>>
>>78500521
... is this bait, or are you just a retard with shit taste? Attacking harms you more than your opponent, nice game design.
>>
>>78494862
It all depends on you and your groups investment into the hobby. People who truly enjoy the gaming hobby will tough out the learning curve of a board game and can see it's potential when you really get the game.

People who see it has casual activity or something to do while socializing would see the time investment as a waste.

Just my two cents though.
>>
>>78500516
Oh yeah? Who else does that?
>>
>>78500579
Filtered af
I literally laugh at people like you, ineffable faggot
>>
>>78500931
you laugh at people with better taste than you? That's pretty sad, but its something that you can expect from scythenigger.
>>
>>78500959
I laugh at you because you're pathetic
>>
>>78500843
Then that's also true for your opponent, and there's nothing wrong with the game design.
>>
>>78500140
It is certainly better than what you posted yes.
Though I can't look at Scythe the same anymore since learning that the main artist for it is a tracing hack.
>>
>>78497043
I wish I had friends like you. Last birthday they all turned up with nothing and later one friend bought me one beer then acted like he was giving me a solid gold toilet.
>>
People who get off on calling out Scythefags as having bad taste, have even worse taste than the Scythefags. The Scythefags are newbies and the posers feel like they know everything but they don't even play abstracts.
>>
>>78502058
This is actually true and not even an exaggeration.
>>
>>78487763
1) and 3) are such huge game changers I really don't see how someone could be getting them wrong all the time. Fucked up. 1) makes initial player expansion so much freer and really reduces pressure on your first play, and then weirdly 3) makes everything much more restrictive later. Very strange mistakes.
>>
>>78480016
Star Saga

I don't have friends that play boardgames anymore

Probably

Any great offer I find
>>
File: file.png (289 KB, 1920x1080)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
is this a good tiebreaker?
>>
>>78502793
What happens if someone punches too early?
>>
>>78494862
>that fucking image macro
"Why do people pretend to have different opinions from me?"
>>
>>78502827
i dont know i going to have to playtest that and come back to you with a answer
>>
I'm looking for a game with randomised but very deep gameplay
Like each player starts with a random state and each turn in the game has a random event but the game is mostly skill based and the game has a lot of tools to mitigate randomness
>>
>>78500892
Warhammer Quest for starters.
Maybe Middara too if it ever fucking arrives. Just dungeon crawlers in general.
>>
>>78502058
How tf am I a newbie? I'm older than you about every one of you, first off. I've been here longer than you to boot
>>
>>78503282
They have a weird wild West theme? If not, then no thanks
>>
>>78502883

Dune

but also maybe take a look at GMT's upcoming Expansion or Extinction
>>
>>78502883

Millenium Blades
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.27 MB, PDF)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PDF
>>78503435
you want a weird wild west theme?
I got you covered
>>
>>78503414
>I'm older than you about every one of you, first off

Board games only really started getting generally good in the mid-90s desu.

Scythe is a gateway euro for newbies; any experienced euro player would probably find something more shaped like themselves to scratch their particular itches.
>>
>>78502883
Millennium Blades is definitely for you
Also New Angeles
And there's definitely something to be said for Star Wars: Rebellion, as long as you use the expansion
>>
>>78502308

Yeah, he was really adamant about 1) being the case; I had to point to the specific example description showing that it was both costs and it blew his head clean off.

I'm usually That Guy who asks for the rulebook when someone teaches some shit that sounds wrong or contradicts the board presentation.
>>
>>78503586
>>78503460
So two rec's for millenium blades, will look into it thanks
Oh, one game I was looking at was the LOTR LCG? Is it a similar kind of deal?
>>78503443
Will need to look at how dune is played, it's pretty famous right?
>>
Is the Bloodborne base game fun?
A game store opened up near my work and they had a copy of it for around $90. Seems like it would be fun to paint some minis.
>>
>>78503683
LOTR LCG is an interesting thing but not really what you're aiming for I don't think. Basically, it's a like a TCG except instead of blind booster packs you buy fixed packs of cards, each of which contains a couple of cards for player decks plus a big bad guy deck.

When you play LOTR LCG, each player has a deck they've built with 1-3 characters up in front as their heroes. They'll play cards to equip their heroes, give them allies, and generally do stuff. They are fighting against a deck created by the scenario you're playing with, in order to progress from one location to another and finish the quest. Because of this, it's entirely cooperative -- you are playing against what it is essentially a very simple AI.

The Core Set contains 3 scenarios, and the first cycle of six packs each give you more scenarios that can all be used with the Core Set (and string together to form a story in their own right). Each of the other pack cycles started with a deluxe expansion to start the story off and give you a bunch of new cards for both the players and the AI. And then there are the Saga Expansions -- a line of 8 deluxe expansions, 2 per book, letting you play through The Hobbit and the three Lord of the Rings books, which only require you to have the Core Set.
>>
>>78503524
I'm so sick of your pretentious, pedantic bullshit. You're like a rancid bean fart. Tc, gipfaggot.
>>
>>78504015

Pretentious? You're the one pretending that being old makes you the arbiter of good taste lol.
>>
>>78504158

Or, rather, that being old automatically makes you "not a newbie", but I mostly equate experience with taste anyway, and if you had either of them you'd probably be staunchly championing games other than Scythe.
>>
https://opinionatedgamers.com/2021/04/05/top-11-recent-favorites/amp/

Any gooders here?
>>
>>78504158
No, you ineffable bitch. I'm saying being old makes me not a newbie, you fucking twatwaffle. Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?
>>
>>78504186
I do like other games than scythe. Games you'd hate because they drip theme, sugar britches
>>
>>78504214

already addressed before you posted >>78504186

>>78504241

you literally self-identified as "Scythefag" to reply to a post that wasn't even directed at you. I said "the Scythefags" and you replied to it as if it meant you lol.
>>
>>78497949

it's a solid, light, dudes on a map game.
Works fine for introducing people to more advanced games of the Sort.
Has some good ways of preventing Snowballing and piling up on people, if that is ever an issue.
It's not a wargame by any means tho and most of the time you only end up doing one or two decisive battles. I'd recommend it, if you want to nudge people towards Twilight Imperium. (maybe do Game of Thrones after Shogun)
>>
>>78504015
Consider that GIPF is literally, factually an autistic male. It puts everything into perspective. Consider why you don’t like him or why he frustrates you, and then consider how all of these things are explained by the fact that he is just an eternally naive, autistic person. He literally cannot help the fact that he is an autistic man.
>>
>>78504274
So fucking what? Are you going to call the board game police on me, moron
>>
>>78504283
I honestly don't care. I've humored this monkey fucking faggot long enough.
>>
>>78504241
>Games you'd hate because they drip theme, sugar britches

I do like thematic games, but people who exclusively play thematic games do not really care about board games. The ultimate thematic board game is simply a videogame, so really you are just obsessed with inferior novelty versions of videogames (a trend that Kickstarter is making most literal these days).

>>78504283

You keep making this same screechy post that puts nothing on the table other than yelling "autism autism autism autism" as if it were some kind of cross or garlic clove to put me down. It's rather sad.

People hate me because I tell the truth.
>>
Really, the fact that I am autistic would open the possibility for a novel and important perspective on games which puts the games first, before the social performance aspects, and thus would be definitively worth listening to and engaging with for anyone else who actually cares about games more than they care about social performance.

My prevailing claim that I have argued extensively for, from many angles of rhetoric and point of reference, is that many people here care less about board games than they care about social performance, and pointing out that I'm autistic only lends credence to that, because it only socially invalidates me but does not logically invalidate me.

Maybe if you could be honest with yourselves for once in your entire fucking lives you wouldn't be so upset with what I'm saying.
>>
>>78504336
You keep making this same screechy post that puts nothing on the table other than yelling "autism autism autism autism" as if it were some kind of cross or garlic clove to put me down. It's rather sad.

I know social situations like this can be frustrating, but I read that consistency and habit might be comforting for you. Keep on rockin’ and rollin’, champ. We’re all rooting for you!
>>
>>78504699
>but I read that consistency and habit might be comforting for you.

Yes, giving me a shot of self-righteousness every time I'm ritually compelled to reply to your smug, empty, cheap shot nonsense that betrays zero empathy (despite the implied admonishment of me not being capable of empathy) may well be what keeps me around in these threads. Thanks for giving me my fix.
>>
>>78504768

How the fuck is anyone supposed to empathize with a creature that has no emotions?
>>
>>78504950
>that has no emotions

That's... not how autism works... at all...
>>
>>78504997

It IS how sociopathy works
>>
>>78480016
Just Apocalypse Road for now, I try to force my unplayed games on game nights ASAP to see if they’re worth keeping, AR is slipping through the cracks cause it’s been so long since I’ve had a 5+ group at the table especially for a beer & pretzels game.
Just waiting on Pax Ren, Pax Viking, Border Reivers, Tanto Monta, Space Race, and Terraforming Mars Ares Project to ship. Still debating getting Red Dust Rebellion (6 COIN games feels like enough already) and/or a Lacerda game.
>>78484033
Intrigue has some degenerate combos with cards like Minion, it’s not 2009 anymore it’s not a must have. Seaside is the best expansion as it only has one card that’s arguably OP in 3-4p games (Pirate Ship) and the absolute worst card ever printed in the game (Pearl Diver or at least it was up to Empires expansions as that’s when I stopped posting on the designer’s site), but none of the expansions fix the fundamental flaws in the game’s system so I can’t recommend any of them.
>>78504191
Yokohama is a good light-mid euro that’s much better than Istanbul, I really want to try Barrage, Res Arcana is arguably Lehman’s best engine builder as it has no OP strategies in the base box unlike any of the X for the Galaxy games, and Pax Pamir is an impeccable design.
>>
>>78505029

No, sociopaths feel emotions too. I'm kind of floored by the suggestion I don't feel emotion when I'm always talking about how I've felt about various games and experiences and whatnot. How could I be passionate enough to use strong rhetoric if I couldn't feel emotions? I really just can't understand how downright badly you've misread everything I've ever wrote if you think there's no emotion behind it. It's surreal to me.

Like, the concept of "no emotion" must mean something very different to you than it means to me or most people.
>>
In an attempt to re-rail this thread...

Do you guys ever feel guilty when you take a W off of friends or family? Have you ever secretly sabotaged your own win to give that W to a friend who seems down?

I have a buddy who is pretty bad at area control games. Sometimes I’ll dick around and make suboptimal plays. I get to experiment, and he gets the win, so we’re all having a good time in the end.
>>
>>78505124

I always point out when my opponents make an immediately punishable mistake and ask them to reconsider their move, and if I notice they have an exceptionally strong move available to them I'll hint at it for them. Other than that, I let them play as they will with minimal intrusion, and I would never throw a game on purpose. I think that's a shitty thing to do and liars are shitty people.

Sometimes I do take less time on a move than I would otherwise if I want them to have a better chance, and I always let them go first in games with first-move advantage, but that's about it.
>>
>>78505113
>>78505113
>I'm kind of floored by the suggestion I don't feel emotion when I'm always talking about how I've felt

And it is always transparently falsehood.
>>
>>78505217

Please point out anywhere in any of my posts where I have lied about my feelings, aside from obvious sarcasm (which I'm fairly certain I don't abuse too often).
>>
>>78505288

See what I mean? It's all pretense. A set of behaviors you exhibit to elicit specific responses from other people. Not genuine. Even the contents of >>78505288
are a (possibly premeditated, possibly unconscious) defense mechanism designed to hide the fact that you have no true emotions. You just pretend to. If you have yourself convinced otherwise, that just makes you delusional on top of everything else.
>>
>>78504336
I don't hate you. I find you utterly boring
>>
>>78505375
>A set of behaviors you exhibit to elicit specific responses from other people.

No, my anger is genuine. My laughter is genuine. The fun I have playing games is genuine. The experiences I describe are genuine. None of what I do would make any sense if there were no feeling behind it. Why would I do anything if I felt nothing doing it?

Moreover, back to this quote,

>A set of behaviors you exhibit to elicit specific responses from other people.

Isn't this how everyone behaves anyway, even if subconsciously?

And if my posts make people angry, that's really not my intention. I am only interested in the truth, and my posts are towards a suggestion of the truth, rather than any handwringing about mannerisms and other bullshit. The pursuit of truth is not unemotional. It is, dare I say it, euphoric.
>>
>>78505433
>boring

I use this term to describe people who only say things I've already heard hundreds of times before. People who can't think for themselves. Nobody is saying what I've been saying in these threads, not one person, and I will keep finding new ways to say them and I will keep challenging my own conception of them (such as by always playing new games, whereas most of you have it firmly in mind that you will never, ever deign to play a proper modern abstract).
>>
Saturday is going to be an interesting day for me. Weather’s warmed up, mask mandate is gone, businesses at 100% got a bunch of other couples meeting at a central location that has a very easy dress code to follow. Going to meet, hot tub, converse, and play some games.

What games am I bringing? Well, I’m going to have a large group of novice gameplayers so...

1. Bang! The dice game
2. Qwingo
3. Mafia
4. Cockroach poker
5. Welcome to
6. Knister
7. Metro X
8. Coup
9. Qwixx
10. Bahama Taxi

Should be a fun evening. Very excited because it took so much work corralling everyone together.

Our regular couple asked us to pick up machi koro for them because they loved it so much. I think I’m having an influence on people.
>>
File: 1414640836179.jpg (122 KB, 600x900)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>78505453
>Isn't this how everyone behaves anyway
>>
>>78505482
Stop projecting, then. It's a sign of an inferior intellect. I use the word boring when, guess what, I'M FUCKING BORED. No more, no less. Get off your high horse.
>>
>>78505453

Pod-person: The Post
>>
>Isn't this how everyone behaves anyway, even if subconsciously?

Autism.
>>
>>78505482
I play chess. That's the only abstract I'll ever need so please, stop being a gaywad of immense propensity.
>>
File: paxbitch.png (39 KB, 1316x758)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>78505551

Oh, I'm only describing a better usage of the term, not projecting it onto you. If you're bored reading my posts, or if you're bored playing abstracts, or any form of real engagement with a system of truth or meaning, then that's your own pathology and I'll leave it to you.

And I'm always down to play any game with anyone who wants, so if you're bored then that is your choice, no more.

>>78505570

All social behavior is meant to elicit specific responses from others. If I am incapable of eliciting those specific positive responses, then it would follow that my expressions are more genuine since they are not (properly, effectively) conditioned by others. My words are raw, and it is the rawness that bothers people most.

>>78505571
>I play chess. That's the only abstract I'll ever need

Sad.
>>
Has anyone here played Dale of Merchants? I looks fun, but I don't know which of the four versions to buy.
>>
>>78505566
>Pod-person: The Post

Says Anonymous, expressing exactly the same opinion as every other Anonymous in this thread, to the lone individual.
>>
>>78505599
>All social behavior is meant to elicit specific responses from others.

You just keep digging this hole deeper for yourself...
>>
>>78505599
>My words are raw, and it is the rawness that bothers people most.
My man, you are so far away from understanding why you bother people. It’s unreal. Jokes aside, you may actually be autistic. You might consider reaching out to a certified testing facility. You simply do not get why most people in these threads find you insufferable. Seriously, consider getting tested.
>>
>>78505647

I initiated this line of conversation. Having already proved my point to my own satisfaction, I'm continuing it to give others the opportunity to hone their ability to detect things like you.
>>
>>78505672

How is it not true? Can you even think for yourself? It's practically tautological, "specific responses from others" is implied in the word "social". Everyone conditions how they act based on the people around them.
>>
>>78505681

I am autistic, you fucking retard. Holy shit.

You people can't even fucking READ and you think you can get on my case.
>>
>>78505604
I haven’t played it, but at a glance, the components and mechanics look interesting. Hope you get to give it a try and maybe tell us what you think, Anon!
>>
File: coping mechanism.jpg (121 KB, 745x497)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>78505705

We were discussing emotions: things that you experience. You're so pod that you can't even keep the difference between emotions and social behaviors straight for two. consecutive. posts. Two.
>>
>>78503435
Neither does Forbidden Fortress, that one has weebs and a vore hell dungeon.
>>
>>78505741
>We were discussing emotions: things that you experience.

There was no confusion. I was specifically talking about social behaviors. That's why I used the phrase "social behaviors".

If I had said, instead,

>All emotions are meant to elicit specific responses from others.

That would be terrifying and insane and actually worthy of an incredulous reaction, but that is not what I said, nor is it something I would ever say. You retards can't read.
>>
>>78505812

I could continue, but your next move after I point out the inconsistencies in this post is to force me to exhaustively point out iterations on the same inconsistencies that I have already highlighted for hours, until you can conclude feeling that you "won"

More people now recognize what you are, and so we've advanced my goals over yours.
>>
>>78505812
Dude just get the fuck out of here. You ruin threads. You lower the quality of /bgg/. Just leave. Throw your tantrums in some other niche corner of the Internet.
>>
>>78505876

My diagnosis is no secret; I mentioned it back in February and probably earlier than that, and anyone who can't tell immediately is retarded anyway.

https://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/77733153/#77783888

If your mission is to be the blind leading the blind, good on you, I guess?
>>
>>78505910

If me leaving matters so much to any of you, then simply accede to my modest demands and I'll make my leave.
>>
Initially I didn't have an opinion on the tripfag itt. Having seen his posts i'm now of an opinion that the thread is unfortunately worse off with him in it. A vapid, vain person. He litters it with his attention-seeking.
As it almost always has been, hiding a tripfag is the best course of action.
>>
HOLY SHIT, ALL RIGHT, BACK TO BOARD GAMES.

Captain Sonar looks like so much fun. My problem is it’ll probably be tough to get 7 other people together who care enough to learn even a lightweight game.

Has anyone played Captain Sonar with 6? How is it with people splitting roles?
>>
>>78506026
I honestly prefer it at 6 to 8. Doubling up the first officer and engineer puts that player under more stress, where split up I feel like they're both pretty chill compared to the captain and sonar officer.
>>
File: the boardgame.png (12 KB, 933x562)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Hey board gamers.
I have a question on a board game that had many tiers of "Casual-hardcore" rules sets. Had a large piece together map board where you get to leave a zone if you complete it. About five zones in memory.

Wizard, Barbarian, etc sort of model/classes. You can off your neighboring players and send them back. You collect gear.

I only got to play it once at a party and we were rushed through game night. Only touched it once.

1k hours MSpaint as description of the boardgame itself.
>>
>>78505604
I was given the first one to sell at the store by asmodee I think. Game is... Pretty good, I guess. Great presentation but the different groups are wildly imbalanced. It's a bit too complicated for kids and a bit too random (especially with the chamileons) for serious players. It's also a bit too long to act as a filler game. But overall those are minor quibbles that just stack up. 7/10 kind of game. It's usually pretty cheap to buy tho, so it's worth trying for sure. As to which version to get? No idea what changed in the other ones clans, so maybe my issues are resolved in those.
>>
>>78500500
Wingspan/Terraforming Mars: Extremely 1 dimensional gameplay, luck of the draw with obvious choices. Built so the first few games you think "Wow, I built this engine, I wonder if I can build it better" when building it better just means getting lucky.
Scythe/Root: Crazy player powers, made to make you think "Oh, I can't wait to play the other factions!". Each power is so central to what they do that they dictate what you do and you're not going to play it any differently than the way your friend played it. Once you run the gamut, they're games just sitting there until you get more content.
See my earlier post about Empyreal. There's 5. I can keep going if you'd like to move that goalpost though. Each of those games only gets flaws if you play it more than 5 times or if you're paying attention, a number the most profitable groups won't reach.
>>
>>78501900
yay, lets just all sit in our corner and not interact with each other, such an amazing game design. Terraforming Mars/10.

>>78501426
Cope nigger.
>>
>>78480016
Twilight Imperium, Catan
Cause its corona and we can't get people together for TI4 and I bought catan as a present to my mom but she left it here.
Cause I don't care for catan and my friends are all isolated.
I really want nemesis and Diplomacy.
>>
>>78482793
>diversify" it given the upcoming film.
they should divesrify them, half the characters are arabian and yet in boardgame its yet another pale white cracka. Immersion breaking.
>>
>>78494862
Idunno there's a place for both.
We recently played twilight struggle with my gf and none of us had any fucking idea what we were doing. We had an awful time, mostly thanks to rules on yt videos being totally different to rules in the game rulebook. but every time we took a break for the day we spent entire free time thinking about the game.

Meanwhile games like eclipse are easy to set up and a breeze to play so they're a good time waster if you can't get a good group together that works with the tougher games, meanwhile shit like dune and twilight imperium are there for you to get enjoyment from the board game itself, especially if the people you are playing with work well with and against eachother.

It's far easier to pick up and play games like ecplipse with randos but dune and such need a real, gatekept gaming group to experience to their fullest
>>
>>78503414
>How tf am I a newbie? I'm older than you about every one of you, first off. I've been here longer than you to boot
thats some pathetic cope.Even tripfags are less cancerous than you. You need to go back, you are not welcome here.
>>
>>78502883
twilight struggle
>>
Feast for Odin: Might be too intimidating for a lot, I'm kinda put off hearing it's a very solo play game.
Jamaica: I hate that the rules are one one giant fold out sheet of paper instead of a book
Mice and Mystics: I heard it was a game to teach kids to read later. Kinda got put off by how many other coop games I could be playing.
I have a couple kickstarters in the pipe lines. Oath, Lizard Wizard, and Burncycle.
I dunno. I'm just starting to get together with people after the pandemic. I'm excited to play anything again, haven't kept up with what's new. Something about cosmic frogs I think is a lot of talk around here? I have a number of expansions for games I already had. First week of June is going to be a miniature boardgame convention at my house now that I know the dates the last of my friends are now shot up.
>>
>>78507985
Seethe, bitchtits
>>
>>78505876
Stop giving attention to /v/ tier retards.
That's how /v/ got ruined.
>>
>>78508097
Fuck you, 4chan is my home, faggot. Go where, inestimable dickhuffer
>>
>>78501900
If done right like twilight imperium or dune,where you are made to talk it's fine. Actually it's great.
>>78500843
Eclipse promotes attacking opponents.
The game is still everyone quietly sits in their corners without saying a word for 1-2 hours.
>>
>>78508302
>>78508293
Tourists are not welcome, go back to red.dit where you can jerk off with other normies to scythe. You are cancer.
>>
>>78500843
>Game isn't about combat, just have such option
>HURRR WHY THIS ISN'T LIKE A WARGAME
>SHIT GAME DESIGN DURRR
>>
>>78508332
nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>78500931
Why each and every time someone points out Scythe is a simplistic, poorly-designed game, the fanclub goes all "filtered"?
Are you at least aware people complain how no-brain the game is, rather than the other way around?
>>
>>78508335
Said the guy who can't read game manual and then complain when they aren't what he think they are.
>>
>>78503796
Thanks for the writeup anon
Do you think there's much replayability?
Just seems like something you clear and then move onto the next scenario to me
>>
>>78508434

I haven't played the LOTR LCG, but I've dipped my toe in the Arkham Horror LCG, and I can say that the highest (and probably second-highest) difficulty in it is extremely hard, and will take you many attempts and much experimentation with your decks to clear, and you can use different characters with different card classes for a unique play experience.
>>
Is there anything similar to A Few Acres of Snow, but for 3 and more players? AFCoS is great, but because of playing it in pairs, it quickly gets old once you are familiar with your oponent strategies. Not to mention our group is 4 people with 5th guy from time to time.
>>
>>78508307
Fuck you, I've been to Reddit exactly one time, at my nephew's behest. I didn't understand the format and I never went back. Is that ok with you, faggot...don't answer that because I don't give a rowdy roody pool fuck what you think
>>
>>78508339
I could care less what a bunch of tg losers think about anything, ever
>>
>>78508348
nice projecting
>>
>>78508595
cool story nigger, but now please go back.
>>
>>78508602
... and yet here you are, clearly caring enough to reply
>>
What, you guys actually like Pax Pamir?
LMAO, I thought it was a meme.
>>
File: source.gif (801 KB, 480x270)
801 KB
801 KB GIF
>>78508760
>>
File: IMG-20210331-WA0002.jpg (1.03 MB, 3264x1836)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>78480016
I bought Root but then the lockdown happened. We played it once but my gf threw a hissy fit half way so we cancelled early.
I leave her at home now when visiting friends.
I just wanna play a gaem frends.
>>
>>78509088
find a new wife.
>>
File: 1617699574630.png (138 KB, 500x557)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>78509121
It's not clever to discard old shoes before you got new ones
>>
>>78509088
I'm happy my gf enjoys board and comtooter games with me and won't give up even when entire game she's forced to be on her backfoot.
>>
File: 1617502954161.png (119 KB, 392x366)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>78509255
Mine enjoys splendor, waterdeep, stuff like that. She's competetive but more in a bowling sense where you get to a common goal with bare interference. She's probably enjoy worker placement or euro-games.

She's a ragesquid when it comes to directly competitive games though
>>
>>78509295
I guess different strokes for different blokes. We played pandemic but we both find it too easy as on our second game we beat the max difficulty version.

You got some coop games to reccomend? I literally have none in my library except for snoredemic. We have played dead of winter and it's allright .

I'm thinking nemesis.
>>
>>78509088
Kek.
My GF actually loves things like Triumph & Tragedy (as long as she can play the comrades), Thunderstone Quest, Gloomhaven and Game of Thrones the Board Game.
I feel kinda blessed in that regard, but the main problem so far is that COIN is a bit too heavy for her and she disliked Pax Pamir...
>>
Is mythic battle pantheon a meme or not?
I remember an anon shilling it years ago, but apart from it being expensive and rare I don't remember anything else.
There's a KS for mythic battle ragnarok with the possibility to get pantheon too.
>>
>>78509712
I had everything for MBP up until last year which I played it a few times in a row to compare it to other 2-player miniature games and I felt it fell flat.
The dice system is great where you can sacrific shitty dice rolls to upgrade other rolls, but the whole activation system with the use of randomly drawn cards is a huge flaw in my opinion.

I heavily prefer The Edge: Dawnfall, Black Rose Wars, Infinity, Tsukuyumi, War of the Ring, Shadespire, Skytear and Forbidden Stars as 2-player combat games with miniatures.
>>
>>78505453
>Why would I do anything if I felt nothing doing it?
GIve me a few more years and I'll see if I have got an answer for you.
>>
>>78509816
MBP is up to 4 players though, isn't it?
I doubt I would play it as a 1vs1.
>>
File: PXL_20210406_112640692.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>78483438
Hey BSN our store got this Easter themed roll and write game as a present.
Want me to scan the sheet when I get home? No indication who designed this.
>>
Which of the Winsome Games is the best? They are a company specialising in a railroad construction games and managing rail companies
>>
>>78494862
This is a people problem and not directly a boardgame problem. The example that comes to mind for me is Chess. My entire life every person I beat at that game has quit after losing to me. I thought I was really good at the game. I'm not. I'm just the only person I met that doesn't care about losing. Turns out most master level players have that attribute, but because I didn't grow up some place with Chess clubs and expert level players to show me the ropes I will never know what my potential really was.
>>
>>78509295
My wife is like that. Though she'll play some heavier games if they're not head to head competition. She's okay with point based objectives as long as I don't crush her every single game.
>>
>>78510368
Got any tips? I'd love to find a new game to play with her besides waterdeep, splendor and striploveletter
>>
>>78510464
How does the last one work?
Isn't there a better 2p game for that purpose?
>>
File: download (1).jpg (19 KB, 357x357)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>78510489
Loser strips an item of clothing. The game is fast and the excitement of bluffing and gambling sets the mood pretty well.

Besides, the flavor is more fitting than if we were to play Patchwork or something.

If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears
>>
>>78509334
Nemesis is a bad game. If you want a hard coop just get spirit island if you want a big game. The grizzled or hanabi if you want lighter games that are still hard to beat.
>>
>>78510546

Strip Watergate
>>
>>78509883
Interesting

Is it fun?
>>
>>78509855
Well, if you're gonna do a 4-player combat heavy games there are much MUCH better alternatives.

Most of my alternatives also supports 4-player perfectly.
>>
>>78509334
Nemesis is not a good coop in the first place.
>>
>>78510624
It's dead simple to play but not trivial to solve little competitive puzzle.
But i don't care for most roll and writes.
I wonder if this is just a retheme of something.
We also got the new mini games from Benndorf but no free demo units.
>>
>>78511443
I really wish NSV would open an American office. It’s so unfair that Germany has all the good filler.

Still have not heard anything back from them regarding their $500 shipping calculator.
>>
>>78511572
Shipping to the us is just ridiculously expensive right now.
Even our store would have to charge a 100 bucks for shipping.
Thanks covid
>>
>>78511638
It’s better than the $500 nsv was calculating.

All the more reason for nsv to set up an office in the US.
>>
>>78508434
There's definitely some replayability but only if you want to try different decks out on the same scenario or try again for a better result. Eventually if you more or less "solve" a scenario there's not much point in replaying it, you know what to use and what the results of a given position are likely to be. It's generally easier than Arkham Horror.
>>
>>78505124
The last few competitive games I've played with friends I ended up making suboptimal plays so the games don't leave the table. I lost Dominon, Lords of Waterdeep and Scythe since I was winning consistently. Didn't even get to finish the Fenris campaign. Root is easier since the rest of the table can turn on me, don't have to throw those games.

So now it's either co-op or I go easy. Except Carcassonne. I can't win that game to save my life.
>>
File: 3by3.jpg (754 KB, 1227x1227)
754 KB
754 KB JPG
How's my 3x3? I imagine Rising Sun doesn't have many fans around here.
>>
File: Games.jpg (479 KB, 1706x980)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
New games. Lockup is actually pretty chunky for the price point, although I did get both of these on discount. It's about the same size as Terra Mystica.

Board games truly are an ineffable hobby to the uninitiated btw. Someone asked me about PanAm and I tried explaining it and I could physically see the light vanishing inside their eyes.
>>
>>78513268
Haven't played any of them but I want baseball highlights 2045 and caverna
>>
>>78513268
Baseball Highlights is underappreciated, Chinatown and FGM are GOATs. Don't know about the others.

>>78512780
I cannot imagine throwing a game like this. Board games are much less fun when everyone isn't trying to win
>>
>>78480830
You might have to send John an email. There’s confusion afoot over the bgg submission and Mark’s video.
>>
>>78513326
I'm really sad football highlights turned out to be a disappointment. The fun of baseball highlights is that push and pull between a tactical strategy and buying some big name players. Really represents baseball well in that regard. Football highlights took out the market element and every player while seemingly more complicated in all the functions of their cards, ultimately has to be equal to one another so every card in that deck is just a "We took one stat away here and moved it over here". Nothing feels exciting in how you build yourself up.
>>
>>78513290
PanAm’s set up and explanation video took so long that we just kinda gave up on it and haven’t taken another stab at since then. I think that we jumped into it too quickly. And I say we, but it was mostly my wife that lost motivation to learn it.

I think a lot of people have an expectation of simplicity when it comes to board games. Pan AM would have worked wonderfully as a video game and would have taught people the game easier. But then again, that’s the consequence of a lack of programmers doing programming as a hobby.

The amount of components and administration keeps a lot of people from doing heavier games. Plus they also tend to have a longer time requirement. You sort of have to be of the mindset to have a game table that you can cover the game up in a well so that you could come back to it at a later date. I think that scares a lot of people off.

These heavier games seem like simple computer games that you yourself administer. That’s a big change of familiarity that a lot of people wouldn’t commit to unless they had someone to guide them. And honestly it does look interesting, but it’s not something that I’d be able to jump into since I’d be so paranoid of screwing rules up and getting the game wrong.
>>
>>78513268
I think Rising Sun is fine. It's generally the only Lang game anyone around here says anything nice about.
>>
>>78513752
I mean, my game nights are usually about 6-7 hours dude. I'm not playing games as a prelude to swinging. Jumping in at the deep end is a bad idea though, I for sure get you there.
>>
File: hahahahahahahahaha.jpg (329 KB, 800x800)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>watching susd because i hate myself
>they review that game about caveman
>hey this game is pretty good and they didnt shoved woke shit int othe revi...
>last 10 minutes of the review is the guy talking about why there whould be more niggers into the game because of britan genepol history

it felt like a parody of sjw's ness it just came out of no where
>>
>>78514863
I notice that when they talk about filler they manage to be unable to do this....

Less theme = less politics.

Quinn said nothing about what an inter species conflict that cockroach poker was. He just presented the game and moved on.
>>
>>78514935
twilight imperium is literaly about race wars in space and he didnt said anything about it either

something is forcing him to do it
>>
>>78514863
Starting off a classic British history game night right by identifying the most frivolous player and torching them in a wicker man.
>>
>>78514961
Weird
>>
>>78514935
>>78514961
From what I've absorbed about them, sounds not inconsistent. Their main beef is pushing for representation and pushing back on "sexyness" I suppose we'll refer to it as for a middle ground between straight up sleeze and good looking characters. I don't know if there's some example you have, but you seem to be arguing with a strawman here where "THEM" is just this ultra conglomerate of every bad twitter take you've read and thus theirs views must be about eliminating species powers from fantasy settings with a variety of sentient species. I've not heard them argue that ever, but I'm not a particularly avid follower.
>>
>>78508302
>4chan is my home
Lmao, what a pathetic statement. I spend an unhealthy amount of time here too, but I'd never call this cesspool my home.
>>
File: Slough Feg.jpg (3.41 MB, 1189x5963)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
>>78515226
>>78515226
No, weird will be when I crawl out of my cave painting and eat your children BSN. But it's not my fault, it's just because we're playing Inis tonight. Representation matters.
>>
>>78515494
Thanks for the nightmare fuel.
>>
>>78510464
I would suggest finding games with themes she loves. For my wife that seems to be even more important than mechanics or game weight. That said, there are tons of lighter games to enjoy. Our fave light game is Res Arcana. Though it's surprisingly competitive and weird that my wife enjoys it.
>>
>>78516001
If his gf can tolerate Splendor she can tolerate any theme.
>>
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-road-ends-here-spiel-des-jahres-champion/

Azul got crushed at the very final hurdle. I'm out hundreds of thousands of dollars, my God. My family will starve. I'm going to lose my house!
>>
>>78508661
Fuck off, faggot
>>
>>78508664
I can reply to whatever the fuck I want to and it doesn't mean a goddamn thing, moron
>>
>>78516159
cool story, now please go back.
>>
>>78495962
Empyreal is a good example of what you're talking about, but Millennium Blades abso-fucking-lutely is not.
Stop saying stupid things to try and discredit yourself and instead focus on core points for argument.
>>
>>78509334
Elder Sign with its expansions is pretty brutal
>>
>>78516239
L99's willingness to go for flashy powers is if anything a huge strength. There are so many designers/companies who would have looked at the Argent rules and made it drastically less mean. L99 very deliberately kept a ton of 'fuck you' options in play.
>>
>>78510546
I like strip Candyland
>>
>>78515424
Yours is an equally pathetic statement. You spend a lot of time here but are ashamed of it. For no real reason. Kys, faggot, you're fake af
>>
>>78516188
You first, bitch
>>
>>78516317
The more I read about Argent, the more I want it
>>
>>78516239
>>78516317
L99 always has people angry about losing. I've had a dozen smug coworkers and LGS friends tell me Battlecon is just rock-paper-scissors right before sitting down to their 20-0 loss. MB has big amounts of choice, skill and time management in it and a lucky draw like a "slot-machine" will never determine the winner if even one player knows how to play. A good example other than MB is Bullet which has crippling amounts of RNG even if it can be very intense depending on the skill levels.

The games made by not-Brad like S&S/Bullet all tend to be not as great.

>>78516425
Argent is one of their games that isn't playable at 2p so its got a smaller audience.
>>
>>78516425
If you like worker placement and like conflict in your games IMO it's a must-buy. The level of conflict is pretty scalable too, as almost every single thing is double-sided and can be flipped and played whichever way you prefer.
>>
>>78516681
For reference, the way we do it for the mages at least is whoever drafts that colour of mage first gets to decide which side we'll use.
>>
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22369898/best-tabletop-games-2021-american-tabletop-awards
>>
File: IMG_20200229_161154.jpg (1.09 MB, 1984x1488)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>78516239
>>78516577
I actually really like Empyreal. It's variety of specialists are drawn randomly but you see all of them and then pick them, meaning it's less about drawing randomly and more about getting to them earlier if you go that route so you get first pick, maybe skipping some development opportunities along the way. It's a quick game that I think has a solid amount of strategy. The biggest flaw of it is this is a short game. Now that's fine from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't overstay it's welcome at
40 minutes to an hour even including setup and it's a really good start or end game. The problem is this is another game that's a kallax monster. That box is stupid huge made for deluxe components and given a stupid vertical design that makes you take a shit ton of stuff out that you don't need and has a map to remind you how to tetris it all back. Usually when you have these ultra deluxe games it's expected that it's gonna be a big game but this game plays like just stupid fast. I'm happy to have it now but had I known that, I'd probably never have spent that much money on it.
>>
>>78517016
It looks awesome, tho
>>
>>78513290
my Pan Am description is "Ticket to Ride but with planes"
or if I think it won't scare them off, the above + "and with a little more going on"
>>
>>78516937
>meme artichoke game
>patchwork rip-off
>conflict-free 4x game
Do burgers really?
>>
>>78513268
How is Caverna: Cave Farmers?
It's on top of my backlog and will test it either next or in two meetings with my group, but would like to hear just about any opinion
>>
>>78516937
This is all just an April Fools' joke... right?
>>
>>78516577
I have seen the slot machine decide Millennium Blades exactly once -- a guy playing with Shur Wen Na (who gives you extra slots for singles) got Exaltius the Untenable before the second tournament, and was able to use his extra slots to build with enough redundancy and flip protection to block the rest of us from stopping him, so he won the second and third tournaments.

This enabled him to TIE me for first place in the game overall (because I came in second in both of those tournaments and kept turning in high-value collections), and then because more of his points came from tournaments he won the tiebreaker. If he'd ended with slightly less money or I'd ended with slightly more, I would have won.

MB has a slot machine in it, but the slot machine is not the game -- managing the slot machine's outcomes in a quick and decisive way is the game, and that's definitely skilled.
>>
>>78505604
Its a decent deck builder and its worth getting.
I would recomment you just get the first one. It has the most rounded selection of decks to pick.
>>
>>78517570
Meme artichoke game didnt jump out to me

Calico looked cute, but felt too similar to patchwork.

Bought the crew, but haven’t been able to take it to wife’s family yet.
>>
https://zmangames.com/en/news/2021/3/15/ode-euro-classics/
Where were you when euro games died? Z-Man games will not be reprinting their Euro classics line-up after the current print run, due to how kickstarter has changed the industry and lack of interest from influencers.

>if you do attempt to re-release a game via traditional distribution channels, then you need to pray that any number of witty UK board game influencers take notice and give you coverage
>>
>>78518325
This hit the news a few weeks back. It is sad, and I do appreciate Z-Man taking a pot shot at the dominance of stuff like SUSD as tastemakers.
>>
That said (and as commented in the article) I think Kickstarter and reddit are probably bigger problems when it comes to which games 'make it'. Social media and crowdfunding are such dominant forces today, and the game market has rapidly expanded/is rapidly expanding to capacity. You aren't going to see shrinkage and the KS/media-focus model dying off until some of these games actually fail to get funding, or CMON fucks up and goes bust or something.
>>
>>78518325
That whole article didnt mention a single good game except for Rebellion.
>>
>>78518445
Most of those are famous, very solid eurogames and it's pretty depressing they don't sell enough to be profitable in today's market.
>>
>>78518325
Now I'll never find a copy of Ra for a decent price
>>
>>78518394
SUSD has more clout than it ought to. Definitely witty and entertaining, but wit does not make a critic's credentials authoritative.
>>
>>78518586
Z-Man released the rights back to all the designers so realistically if Knizia wanted to do another print run of Ra he could just Kickstarter it. It would very likely be successful.
>>
>>78518609
I mean, this thread started banging on about Hansa Teutonica being good after SUSD did their extremely positive review of it about a month ago. And it sold out basically straight away after that review too. So even here, their clout translates very directly to extremely positive press and sales.
>>
>>78518609
I got into board gaming through SUSD. I don't think it's necessarily that they're witty and entertaining (which is hit and miss depending on the reviewer). It's that the quality of the videos they produce is so much higher than anything else around.

I'm talking production quality here. The other players in this space may be more informative, may have a better knowledge on games etc but their videos are ugly, sound bad and that's topped with the fact that they have no presence.

I appreciate Tom Vasel may be more of a revered name in board gaming but I just can't listen to him stutter his way through a review sounding very robotic

SUSD needs a decent competitor
>>
>>78518610
Fuck yes
>>
>>78518776
There are a lot of UK spin-off channels from SUSD but none of them are the same size. I actually like NPI's game analysis a lot more than SUSD, as I've said in these threads before, and they might even be the second-biggest SUSD-alike but they're still a fraction of the size. I also like that they're apparently planning to do broader reviews focusing on like, space board games through the years and stuff because that helps show the foundation and evolution of game genres which is not information easily accessible to people getting into the hobby.

>>78518824
The chances of that happening, while I think it would be successful, are probably quite low.
>>
File: 1565378017946.jpg (66 KB, 500x508)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Euros are dead? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ROFLMMFAO LOLOLOLOL GOODBYE /BGG/ AND YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF DICK SWALLOWING QUEERS AHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU WON'T BE MISSED, FAGGOTS
>>
>>78518610
>Buying a Knizia game in 2021
His time is past you know.
>>
>>78519065
You take that back!
>>
>>78519065
El Dorado came out what? 5 years ago? 4? It's perfectly fine
>>
>>78517570
just a reminder that Pictures won the Spiel des Jahres this past year
>>
should i get the die fighter expansion for duel dice?
>>
>>78518325
>American publisher goes out of business
I don't see a problem here. I would get it if a game-making company went out, but this is just a middle man going out. What's the fuss about?
>>
>>78519022
That's not how the initiative rules work in any popular RPG. Probably not even in most obscure indie games. Saying "I fireball him" would just cause initiative checks including from the villain as everyone sprang into action.
>>
Isn't the p500 system exactly what this zman game problem needs?
>>
>>78520126
Ok turbo-sperg. You can have a spell readied if you know wtf you're doing
>>
>>78519065
Bablyonia is really good.
>>
>>78513490
I saw the post there yep.
>>
>>78518776
Vasel's a hack. I'll never forget him praising his advertising copy of what is probably the worst boardgame ever made. The one that even infinite hugbox Rahdo broke down and said he hated.

SUSD said it sounded promising before it released, then completely dodged it and refused to do a review which is respectable enough.
>>
>>78520197
Literally not how readied actions in the rules work for combat between two people in any RPG you know. Do you call your betters spergs every other time you're utterly wrong?
>>
>>78520302
Wait, what game are we talking about here?
>>
>>78520335
Readied SPELLS aren't the same as readied ACTIONS

Example: fighter is on one side of a closed door
Rogue is on the other side
Wizard is in front of the door, begins casting the fireball spell but doesn't complete it
Fighter throws open the door
Wizard completes spell
Dumbass bitchhole faggot fuckface
>t. Playing wizards since 1985
>>
>>78519557
The company aren't going out of business, they're just declining to continue the special print run of eurogames. It's weird they call out SU&SD when SU&SD gave 3 of those games they did release extremely good reviews though.

>>78520169
GMT is probably a lot smaller than Z-Man even when it comes to these boutique runs.
>>
>>78520472
Sorry retard, your example was the villain talking, not the contrived, factually incorrect, and ignorant example you thought up while trying to figure out what year to pretend you have been playing since.
I'd rule 0 against the RAW and allow it for you then make the door locked just to bully a moron like you for the groups enjoyment.
>>
>>78518647
>I mean, this thread started banging on about Hansa Teutonica being good after SUSD did their extremely positive review of it about a month ago.

Yep. That's one of the best reviews I've ever seen; completely sold me on the game.

I like SUSD quite a lot and I watch their videos for any game I find interesting. I don't even especially think of them as critics much since they hardly ever do truly scathing reviews; most often they think games are just great or good but have too many caveats to put their stamp on it (but if you watched the review you were probably sold on it anyway and their recommendation is meaningless, as might be the case with Paleo).

They just make silly videos with creative rundowns and recommendations of mostly good games. They're a great channel.

Yes, they do occasionally make points about inclusivity, but I haven't detected any agenda reaching further than that, and in the case of Paleo it definitely seems idiotic that *all* the characters would be white in that era. Is it worth trashing the game over? Absolutely not, but they don't trash it, they gave it a fair review and said it was fun and only held back their meaningless stamp due to that caveat and a couple others.
>>
>>78520169
>Z-Man Games
>Owner
>Asmodee
Sums up the entire situation and why that won’t happen.
>>
>>78508481
Time of Crisis might be what you're looking for, hybrid deckbuilder/wargame that plays up to 4 players.
>>
>>78520838
>and in the case of Paleo it definitely seems idiotic that *all* the characters would be white in that era
In the specific locations where Mammoths were? Not at all, it's anthropologically accurate. As long as you mean non-African by white.
>>
>>78520711
You really don't know how this sit works and it's funny. Pathetic, but funny. Of course the door would be checked for it being locked. Next you'll say barred. The wizard in question could just null the spell, faggot. Sure, he loses a spell slot but so what? He might have it memorized three times. Faggot.
>>
>>78520711
You can't rule anything because you're the fucking moron. You can barely rule your bowl movements
>>
>>78520302
Tom Vassel is every boardgamer I ever played a boardgame with rolled into one. Good thing and bad thing.

That being said -- I never ever ever watch a condensed review of a board game in order to make a purchase. If you base your buying decisions over someone's opinion of a game, you're stupid. It's akin to someone getting a free car from Mercedes and telling you "This is a great car you should buy it without me telling you anything substantive about it." and you buying it sight unseen.

Always watch a playthrough and you don't even have to watch all of it -- just enough to say "Looks like it might be fun, it's worth the cash"
>>
>>78487763
Honestly you're the best. I wish it was more commonplace for people to read rules before playing a game.
I don't mind teaching but it becomes a real task if the game is hard or if another experienced player is there. I got into a small fight with a friend of mine the other week when I was explaining rules to a new player. He kept interrupting me saying stuff like "you forgot X..." or "and this mechanic is really cool because Y" or "you need to get a lot of Y so you can do this..."
He might be trying to be helpful but he has played much less than me and interrupting me to explain a rule that doesn't make sense to a new player at this point doesn't help. Also giving strategy advice during the rules is confusing as hell. The new guy that game made a mistake because he thought the strategy advice that guy gave during the rules was the rules. He's fun to play with but really needs to stop quarterbacking new players.

I didn't mean to rant that much but I got started and really couldn't stop. Regarding the original point, because most rulebooks can be found online for free everyone would do better to read the rules before playing or at least watch a YouTube video of people playing the game. That way we can get started sooner and I'm not responsible for forgetting some niche rule during the explanation.
>>
>>78516289
This + Gates of Arkham. It's a dice chucker but it does blend that with some press your luck and more importantly resource management of your dice.

The app is better, though. Not as much setup and housekeeping.
>>
>>78521017
>gets utterly defeated so just resorts to impotent and misspelled insults.
Went looking, realized you were wrong, and came back to have a cry? Feed me your tears.
>>
>>78521131
GoA is ridiculously hard
>>
>>78521140
Misspelled? Is that what you've resorted to? You are truly a basic ass bitch-made faggot
>>
>>78521058

I think the most common mistakes occur during the setup phase, usually to do with the specific allowances for certain player counts.

I really enjoy teaching board games, although it must be said since I mostly play abstracts it's much easier to explain them. It's fun to optimize the most efficient way to get all the information across with the least possible misunderstandings.

It's also weirdly satisfying saying things like

"Rings can never move over other rings, including your own"

as though I am imbuing these seemingly mundane objects with novel physical properties, never to be questioned.
>>
>>78520905

This looks absolutely baller.
>>
File: EyUZbMdXIAQ1NMq.jpg (128 KB, 760x522)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>78521169
>so butthurt with red-hot tears that he replied twice to the same post, slurring his "insults" and trying to distract from the stupid things he said
>and yet no one failed to notice that he was crying and screaming and that he was still wrong
You can try and distract with nonsense all you want. It doesn't make you any less BTFO. Your helpless and desperate tears are delicious.
>>
>>78521254
It is very baller, super mean game too you'll make yourself emperor by force or demagoguery, only to be deposed yourself in a turn. It's very evocative of the time period.
>>
>>78521277
The fact you think you're winning some stupid internet argument is hilarious and makes you no less a faggot. I'm not mad and I'm not wrong. Not even an iota. I'm actually laughing at you. Keep going. Your pathetic state of mind is fucking funny af
>>
>>78520711
Better idea. Why have the door locked and barred just for him to lose two spell slots like a clown when you can just follow the rules as they have been since basic with The Red Box all the way to 5e. Have the other side of the room hear him chanting for the spell and have them roll initiative. Or also ready an action if you don't want to follow the rules.
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/143317
>>
>>78520905
Oh shit it's like Hands in the Sea but more than 2 players.
>>
>>78521200
>the most common mistakes occur during the setup phase, usually to do with the specific allowances for certain player counts.

This and rules that aren't important until over half way through the game are definitely the most difficult to teach/remember. My friends like Secret Hitler and I've played maybe 5 where fascists should've won when Hitler was elected but they were all new so the game just kept going until one of them remembered the rules and said they won 4 rounds ago.

>It's fun to optimize the most efficient way to get all the information across with the least possible misunderstandings.

I agree with this but for me it's difficult to get a point across if I keep getting interrupted.
>>
>>78521320

"In a twist unlike most deckbuilding games, you have the privilege of selecting the cards that compose your hand each turn! However, you still need to eventually work through your entire deck before you can use your cards again, so deck management and timing is critical."

oh my god I gotta play this game
>>
>>78521374
Someone once looked up a twitter ruling from Jeremy Crawford at an actual table I was at while we were playing D&D and I have never played with that person ever again.
>>
>>78521398
Yeah you can have explosive turns with all your best cards, but then you set yourself up for some slow turns afterward. You don't buy cards with currency gained from other cards either, your standing on the board determines what you can buy.
>>
>>78521325
Yeah, good point. You're definitely not mad and definitely winning.
When people are winning like you they normally don't post any rules supporting the stupid thing they said, double reply to posts, shout misspelled, ineffective, and low IQ insults, and cry about how not mad they are. Hahaha!
>>
>>78521408
That's the lead rules designer just quoting the core rulebook and an entire link of rulebook quotes. I would also be mad about it if I couldn't read.
>>
>>78521571
Bro do not start fishing out the guy's tweets in the middle of our D&D game, just don't do it.
>>
>>78521398
>"In a twist unlike most deckbuilding games, you have the privilege of selecting the cards that compose your hand each turn! However, you still need to eventually work through your entire deck before you can use your cards again, so deck management and timing is critical."
I mean... this is also true of Concordia? Didn't you just play Concordia?
>>
>>78521652

I didn't make that connection because Concordia only has you play one card per turn, so it doesn't hit like a proper deckbuilder.
>>
>>78521625
I agree with this because the DM decides what's right not some corporate errata

Funnyass off-topic shitposting in /bgg/

In the Red Corner: All the written rules

In the Blue Corner: dude trust me
>>
>>78521697
Fair enough, that makes sense.
>>
>>78521702
They're just having fun. the first post >>78519022 was an obvious ironic shitpost and invitation to play. however I'm not even sure the raw poster has realized that the 1985 poster is only pretending to be retarded, he probably did if he only reacted to the image and not euro games
>>
Nostalgia vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQgoW7NJTbQ

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.