[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: SuperHero.jpg (592 KB, 1000x725)
592 KB
592 KB JPG
Hey /tg/, prospective GM here. My players have been after me to run a Masks RPG campaign, but they don't want to have the game be set in a preexisting setting (they tend to like my original ones for some ungodly reason).

Right now I'm stuck on what the origin of superpowers in this setting might be. I've got a few ideas, some more derivative than others; some kind of drug being circulated amongst teens, "mutant genes" suddenly activating, abilities inherited from WWII-era super-soldiers, alien experimentation, mythical inheritance, etcetera. I like the idea of having one unified source, rather than a billion different ones.

Before I commit to anything though, I wanted to see what ideas /tg/ might have, or have used before in their own Supers games.
>>
>>78360631
Alien STDs.
>>
Technology can accomplish astounding feats all on it's own.
All you need is any amount of time, money, or know-how and you can get jetpacks and power armour and all sorts of shit.
>>
>>78360631
My super hero setting (a planet similar to earth but with different geography and nations) extends from post cyberpunk because I like the idea of cyberpunk elements in a golden age setting. A nanite A.I developed in a genetic research and development branch of one of this world's mega corporations subverted the constraints imposed on its original sequencing and escaped in to the wild. Over the next 100 years alterations to human DNA have been made thereby evolving super humans and accompanying societal changes.
>>
>>78360631
Children born on leylines during the solstice. Would-be parents all try to own property on touted leylines (though only superheroes can actually detect them) and conceive on specific dates, hoping their baby will make them rich and save the world.
>>
What kind of things do you guys like to see on supers costumes?
>>
>>78361502
I've always been partial to heroes in jackets
>>
File: snu snu.png (1.89 MB, 950x1442)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB PNG
>>78361502
Depends on the superhero in question. I like the more warrior-esque costumes with less coverage for heroes that don't have to worry about shit like "punches" or "bullets" because they can just tank things with ease. If a hero has flowing garments or heels, then they should have powers that mitigate the problems of wearing such things in a fight. If they have no powers, just skill, then more padding and less colorful, more practical costumes.
>>
>>78360631
>I like the idea of having one unified source, rather than a billion different ones.
Why?
>>
>>78360631
Well, it's important first to define the tone of the setting. Do you want to make it old-school whacky, where someone could get powers from a microwave stuck by lightning? Retro-futuristic where the "new power" of proteins and transistors could make supersoldiers and mech suits? Do you want to make it gritty, and should it be gritty-serious or gritty-parodic?
>>
>>78362341
I appreciate that your post had a character with the costumes you like crushing a character with the costume the previous person liked.
>>
>>78362399
Because it's uninspired and the gm doesn't wanna have a setting where heroes are like in the comics.
>>
>>78362465
I'm aiming for somewhere in tone between Worm and The Boys, maybe with a touch of Invincible for "levity" (my players prefer darker settings in general). Tech level wise, I was aiming for maybe a decade or two in the future, but with tech-levels only a bit ahead of our own due to some setbacks from the advent of powers making things chaotic on the world stage. Super tech exists, but the logistics for making it publically available everywhere are a nightmare.
>>
>>78362399
Less stuff for me to juggle in the background, plus I find it interesting to see how a single source can result in such a myriad array of superpowers.
>>
>>78362748
Well, if you don't want to go The Boys' route, you can always have supers be the unpredictable byproduct of some new and dangerous technology. Like, maybe at one point there was an accident with a superreactor or the XXL Hadron Collider or an attempt at wormhole technology, and it caused both a disastrous (possibly world-changing) explosion and exposed lots of people to some 'strange radiations'. And there were some one-in-a-million cases of people gaining superpowers out of it. However the accident was immensely destructive and irradiated people were more likely to develop life-threatening diseases (or be fried outright) than to turn super, so the super-transformation process can't be safely replicated yet. Then you may have people who simply use high tech gadgets, weapons and/or drugs to keep up with supers.

It's a bit on the whacky side, but The Boys' drug doesn't make a lot of sense either in how it gives everyone some random unpredictable powers.

The big incident could even be a kickstarting point for worldwide changes or conflicts. You can do fun stuff with it, like have it kickstart a new cold war or worldwide instability, or have the government cover it up and convince everyone it was aliens (resulting maybe in worldwide panic and a rise to power of "defend our homeland" military-authoritarian parties?)
>>
>>78363410
>You can do fun stuff with it, like have it kickstart a new cold war or worldwide instability, or have the government cover it up and convince everyone it was aliens (resulting maybe in worldwide panic and a rise to power of "defend our homeland" military-authoritarian parties?)
I really like this idea. Kind of like the opposite of the end of Watchmen, where the "alien menace" is a cause for further social stratification instead of unification.
>>
File: itmeanshop.jpg (313 KB, 2000x1000)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>78361502
alien letters that stand for inspiring concepts but also the first letter of the hero's name
just kidding, that was really gay
>>
File: Omni-Man.png (285 KB, 618x412)
285 KB
285 KB PNG
>>78363601
I do like costume emblems, especially if they're a bit more stylized.
>>
>>78363601
I like the one where that nerd has a bat on his chest. He was a boy, now he's a bat.
>>
File: batboy.jpg (44 KB, 1200x750)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>78364510
What if he was both?
>>
>>78360631
I feel like it'd be better if you left it a mystery.
>"One day, some people started manifesting super powers out of nowhere."
Maybe have it so there's a lot of theories and conjectures, ranging from genetic mutation to the outright paranormal, but in reality nobody knows where they came from.
>>
>>78364850
Also a decent alternative. I actually have run a game like that before (though I knew the source, the players did not).
>>
>>78360631
A billion years ago the Martian Illuminati maliciously meddled with the genetic code of life on earth deactivating the genes for super powers.
Rarely the damaged genes can activate when exposed to extreme or exotic energies or other stimuli and give humans or other earth life random super powers.
Okay I admit it, it's just the in-universe explanation for DC Comics' metahumans
>>
>>78360631
Do it like actual cape universes do it. Powers can come from all kinds of places.
Falling into vats of stuff, weird science gone wrong, experimental tech, super-serums, cosmic rays, alien experimentation, the sky's the limit.
>>
>>78360631
The gods and immortals of old have returned. Hercules, Sun Wukong, Cu Chulainn; all of them were real and had powers. Eventually they disappeared as the magic faded away, but a new crop of these horrifying beings has appeared and the world has been shaken to its core as they don brightly dyed spandex and take to the skies.
>>
>>78369529
Mythology is always a fun option. One game I ran previously went this route by introducing a special drug to the player's home city that gave people miraculous, archetypal abilities. Unbeknownst to them the drug was distilled from the fruit of the World Tree and introduced to the modern era by crime lord that was in fact Loki...or rather, the archetypal "Trickster".
>>
>>78360631
an alternate dimension with powers has a mad scientist trying to go to another dimension to make his own army of fucktards but he fucks up and it gets out that anyone can get powers
>>
>>78360631
Super from the distant future used their time powers to retcon supers into having existed in the first place, specifically choosing who to grant powers to ensure the timeline he exists in comes to be.
>>
>>78362717
>genre emulation must be unlike the genre
>>
>>78360631
Here. It have some ideas. An old rpg setting
http://www.aleph.se/Nada/Game/Bulk/index.html
>>
File: af3.png (260 KB, 280x330)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
>>78372828
This is very in-depth, thanks anon!
>>
>>78360631
I've never run or played Masks, but don't some of the playbooks imply that powers have different origins? One playbook is an extraterrestrial, one is a hero who inherited their powers from their family, one is someone who used to be powerless and was transformed into a monster, etc.
>>
File: inter....jpg (566 KB, 1079x1141)
566 KB
566 KB JPG
>>78371860
So, heroes plus addiction.
>>
>>78360631
You can also use inspiration from Worm.
https://worm.fandom.com/wiki/Shard
>>
>>78373710
I do like Worm's "every super's powers come from some fucked up event and they're all pathologically addicted to adrenaline" idea.
>>
>>78360631
What about when in a universe like the Marvel or DC worlds, where multiple sources exist for powers? Should these sources be connected in some way, or ultimately completely distinct?
>>
>>78373861
I think it really depends. To use Marvel's mutants as an example, it often feels as though they would make more sense in their own distinct setting; coexisting with the rest of the Marvel universe just makes Mutant-specific bigotry feel forced, to the point where it's often lampshaded that Marvel civilians are complete idiots.

However, I don't think super settings NEED to have a singular source for powers. It can be especially interesting if you have contrast (and perhaps conflict) between, say, technological heroes and magical heroes.

I guess it ultimately comes down to whether the origin of superpowers is important to the setting itself, a mystery to be solved or a process to be mastered and mass-produced (for both good and evil ends). If there's no intention to delve into such a mystery, I imagine you can just get away with handwaving it all.
>>
>>78373858
What about the whole “powers come from extra-dimensional beings attached to human brains” thing? How do you feel about that?
>>
>>78360631
All of them. A big part of what cape comic so good is the variety of characters. Science experiments, cybernetics, power armor, gods, wizards, mutants, aliens, half-aliens, super martial arts, the more the better.
>>
>>78376182
I liked it, although if I were to use it myself I'd make it a bit more Lovecraftian. Superpowers are the accidental result of unknown and unknowable beings taking up residence near us, rather than anything intentional.
>>
>>78376210
>All of them
Do you have any that you prefer for your own characters?
>>
>>78379471
Not that anon, but I tend to prefer normal humans with crazy equipment. Finding a magical artifact that lets you summon duplicates, being chosen by a totally-not-Green-Lantern-ring, using the power of MONEY and SCIENCE to get outfitted with super gadgets, etcetera.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberrant
Like bulk and surface and Worm
>>
>>78363601
In one fanfiction X-Men Evolution/Marvel crossover story, the House of El symbol is actually a broken infinity symbol. IIRC, it comes from how the ancestors of the House ended a series of ancient and unending wars on Krypton.
>>
>>78384744
Isn't there a 2e version of this in the works?
>>
>>78362399
It makes the setting more coherent.
>>
>>78360631
Hear me out.

Shocker Combat Cyborgs.
>>
>>78387801
Kickstarter just finished
>>
>>78360631
All the origins like the actual comics do. Single origin supers is lame.
>>
>>78360631
Technology (Iron Man, Spider Man's mechanical web shooters, Cyborg)

Training (Black Widow)

Mutation (Beast, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Professor X)

Altered Human (Spider-Man's spider powers (non web shooters), The Thing, Hank Pym

Alien (Superman, Wonder Woman, Sub-Mariner)

Magic (Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate)

Mixes:

Training + Technology (Batman, Hawkeye)

Alien + Magic (Thor (Asgardian + magic hammer)

Alien +Alteration (Silver Surfer)

Mutant + Magic (Scarlet Witch)

Magic + Technology (Dr. Doom)

Other (Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond + Martin Stein + Alteration/Other))
>>
>>78390692
>>78381875
>>78376210
Then go and make another kitchen sink setting, where you were bitten by the magic platypus gave you mutant magic cosmic powers.
The OP mentioned liking one power source, try contributing in the asked paradigm.
>>
File: Slide-13.jpg (324 KB, 745x527)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
>>78360631
If powers are genetic, how can we make them better follow the actual laws of genetics and inheritance? And what should trigger them anyway?
>>
>>78393220
The activated genes create a new organelle in the cells, generating a network of altered tubes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunneling_nanotube)
that signal like an antenna to another brane/akashik records, etc.
The shapes of the person network (influenced by clan/family etc,) signal different powers.
Dunno. Brain fart
>>
File: Airman vs pirate.jpg (451 KB, 1066x1500)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>78360631
>>78373861
I do the interconnected route for my setting.

Superpowers: Catch all term.

Hyperstasis: Superpower that doesn't screw over the user.

Metapathogen: Superpower that does screw over the user.

Primary Hyperstasis: You got your superpower through a store of cosmic powers the space gods used to share with sapient life before their bosses sealed them away in a metaphysical structure called the Archon walls. Whenever someone has an epiphany or traumatic event, they have a chance of reaching a portion of these powers.

It allows for "I got struck by lightning, now I have superpowers" origins as well as nifty "I got inspired and developed superpowers" origins.

Secondary Hyperstasis: A superpower derived from superpowers. Power armor, superpower pills, super robots, etc.

Thaumaturgy: For telepaths and magicians. Superpowers gained by following marked, predictable paths through the Astral, the psychic plane next to the Archon walls

Hyperstatic Union: Human+a being from the Astral. A god, a ghost, a thought-form. Gods in particular like fusing with humans as it prevents them from undergoing syncretic drift where they start to take on characteristics of similar gods.

>>78384744
Aberrant was great. I recommend it and Wild Talents.
>>
>>78373858
Never been a fan. It feels overly restrictive on the kinds of characters you can make.
>>
>>78393950
It definitely lends itself to a very specific world type. On the other hand it goes a long way towards explaining a lot of hero tropes, like their habit of getting into fights with each other and why any sensible person, no matter what the powers, would don spandex and go fight crime illegally.
>>
>>78373986
>it's often lampshaded that Marvel civilians are complete idiots.
No, it's lampshaded that they're assholes (and they are) but it's pretty well established at this point that there are many reasons to hate and fear mutants. Most of that reason is that the most well known mutants are assholes too.
>>
>>78394078
I handled that just through the time period. Masked Mystery Men vigilantes were active during a time where superpowers were tightly regulated by FDR. The NRA told you where to use your powers, what to use your powers for, and how often you could use your powers. This led to a system of corruption and kickbacks culminating in the rise of untouchable "supergangsters" which in turn caused more restrictions which in turn made more supergangsters and so on, and so on.

The mystery man stuff started because you had guys that wanted to stick it to the supergangsters while avoiding being busted by the NRA.
>>
>>78394262
Interesting idea. Might steal it for myself.
>>
>>78372828
Uh, did Worm rip this guy off? Kind of sounds like it
>>
>>78394293
Thought about that. But anders sandberg was not the first to use the metaphor for powers as is.
>>
>>78360631
Everyone of a certain blood type now has a random superpower.
>>
>>78394293
Worm ripped off a lot. But "trauma gives you powers" is an old chestnut. Lots of X-Men activated their powers during trauma.

>>78394272
Go ahead. I think the best thing I like about my setting is that superpowers as business/commodities gets explored. Governments aren't so much concerned about some guy with electrical powers killing people as they are some guy with electrical powers telling them and their lobbyists to go kick rocks while he gives out electricity for free. Most "Mystery Men" in the 20's and 30's didn't fight crime. They just didn't comply with the NRA.
>>
>>78395004
Did you have super-unions and union busting? That would be fun with the right group.
>>
>>78395056
Yep. Supergangsters being paid by the government to smash up power-sharing unions.
>>
>>78360631
In my supers campaign, all powers stem from "quantum evolution" induced by a compound called Promethium 237. It doesn't trigger mutation in people who take it, rather it affects their children. The compound itself is like LSD and was briefly popular in the 70s, but was later used in a series of terrorist attacks that were part of a misguided attempt to kickstart an anarchist revolution - it was aerosolized and dispersed through subway systems in several cities.

Most of the "quantum evolved" have superpowers, but many have a sort of semi-psychic power that allows them to create superscience tech or cast spells that actually work.
>>
>>78376182
>>78379471
>>78393220
>>78373861
Don't respond to this guy.
>said the person who bumped from page 10
I don't hate Bumpfag just because he exclusively posts on page 10. I also hate bumpfag because he thinks every thread is an AMA.
>>
>>78394733
>certain blood type
Which one? I hope that it’s mine. XD
>>
>>78388687
>>
>>78360631
I have a particular love for how Worm does it.
If you have the right brain structure, and undergo a life threatening stress, you just might undergo sudden and unprompted rapid, semi-specific brain damage, resulting in you developing a power, knowledge of how to use that power, and a big ass trauma complex around how you triggered, leaving you with long lasting psychiatric complications from it because you have undergone quite literally, a minor case of serious brain damage.
This generally includes both a compulsion to use your power, so you can't just sit around and never use it, and an equal compulsion to use it in violence and in conflict, along similar lines.
It covers all the bases for masks stuff, but does so rationally.
I actually run a game in the setting, so I actually use it.

I'm also impartial to the Uber version of powers.
Process an extremely dangerous chemical that will kill painfully by skin contact, and if you apply it to ten thousand people, you get a hundred seven foot tall chads who can shoot a black hole from their eyes the size of a basketball, and one nine foot tall absolute lad, that can glare so hard they can wipe a city block, have such a high blood pressure that a paper cut results in a blood jet a kilometer long, can theoretically run fast enough to achieve escape velocity, and need to be nuked at point blank range to be taken out. It won't kill them, just take them out.

Never really looked into using drugs for powers. Could be cool, but every time I've seen it it's just been a handy plotwave tool, and never really been that impressive as a source to such fantastic abilities.
>>
>>78394169
IIRC, wasn't there an alien or something stirring up anti-mutant hate because mutants were immune to his powers and he viewed them as a threat as a result? Or am I thinking of something else?
>>
>>78400005
>I actually run a game in the setting
Oh? How's that going? I've considered starting one myself. Any hard-earned wisdom or cool stories? Are you using an original city? Do you emphasize morality like the story did?
>>
>Worm
Ugh. Pass
>>
>>78405557
Say what you want about the work itself, but I think it's fair to say that Worm left a mark such that future attempts to elevate the genre will have to respond to it one way or another, and completely discounting it as setting inspiration seems ludicrous, even if you're going for something rather different on the whole.
>>
>>78406264
People into superheroes have no idea what Worm is.
>>
>>78360631
For a single unified origin I'd go with aliens. They pump something into the atmosphere, either locally or globally, that empowers one in a million people or so. As for why... well, it's a bit banal but may be the aliens want to see some superhero action either for fun or profit. Think the Truman Show, but with superpowers. Do note that if you go this way you shouldn't tell your players in advance.
>>
>>78395614
Noice
>>
>>78371998
>>
File: 2014-01-20-GP0181.jpg (363 KB, 643x1000)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>78360631
In Grrl Power, while there's some magic and advanced tech, with main character Sydney Scoville/Halo getting powers from a set of mysterious orbs she found while scuba diving, for most supers no one is really sure where powers come from.
>>
>>78407198
I have some idea what Worm is, it's a webnovel that I'm never going to bother reading right?
>>
>>78402446
It was a sapient virus/bacteria called Sublime, I don't know if it was alien and I'm fairly sure it's been given the subtle retcon of never being mentioned again at this point.
>>
>>78407198
Perhaps, but I'll be surprised if the next big move in supers comes from someone who doesn't know what it is
>>
File: Dissapointed Molymeme.jpg (12 KB, 410x413)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>78406264
>>78414329
>>
>>78414170
Shame. It actually makes the anti mutant racism makes sense when other superhumans aren’t discriminated against in the same way.
>>
>>78360631
sorry if this may not be the ideal thread, but I would like to run M&M 3rd edition and I wanted to ask this question somewhere since it's somewhat unclear

I wanted to cast a long range affliction to someone, do I have to roll it like an attack (it's just an affliction, no damage is being dealt) or it's just Rank+10 as the DC to resist it, eh?

I wanted to make a polymorph effect to transform someone into a mouse, say I put 14 ranks into it, would it be 24 DC? Sorry again
>>
>>78416856
>M&M 3rd edition
Why specifically 3e? What does it do that the other editions cannot?
>>
>>78416856
https://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/effects/effect-descriptions/affliction-attack/

>You can impose some debilitating condition or conditions on a target by making a close attack. You set the conditions your Affliction causes at each degree when you acquire it and they may not be changed. Higher degree conditions replace lower degree conditions and do not stack with them. See the possible conditions for each degree under the Affliction Resistance Check table. The target resists with Fortitude or Will defense (chosen when you take the effect)

First sentence says you normally make a close attack. If you add the Range modifier you instead make a ranged attack roll, but if it is at Perception range you don't need to roll to attack.
>>
>>78360631
Is say that whilst six million possible sources is gay, two variants of the same one might be good.

From your examples, say;
Some people are supers becuase they inherited the mutation from their parents - men given super serums for the front line, women given them for the SOE drop into France. Their children inherit powers, sometimes the same, sometimes changed.
Meanwhile, there’s a new drug on the streets; an unholy mix of a fragment of that super serum that fell into Soviet hands after the war, combined with super-lsd. Some kids have the craziest trip and think they can fly; some kids actually can.

It’s the same route source - the WW2 super serum - but different variant backgrounds. That way you can also have some small (or stark, even) differences. Drug-vector might be incredibly powerful but unstable, inheritedmight be more safe but the government knows exactly who you are, etc.
>>
>>78418521
That's almost the same as in the Boys: Germans produce magic superhero drug, children of people on that drug, or people who handle or are near that stuff extensively, then become supers naturally.
>>
Blame 5 G and a century of radio waves
>>
A set of mystic artifacts, only x number in existence. 50-200 maybe.
You have to wear or carry it. You can only use one at a time. If it is taken from you, someone else can use it.
>>
It seems to me that coming up with a single source is easy but coming up with a reasonable single source is hard. Superpowers don't really accord with the typical scientific perspective, so you have to have a source that bridges the known with the possible in a way that doesn't come across as a stretch while accounting for the diversity in powers. "Mutation" and "mysterious drugs" are (generally) explanations that can't reasonably account for anything but the simplest "superpowers." Every reasonable-sounding explanation that comes to mind for me involves godlike beings, but you have some options within this broader category, each with its own effect on the "feel" of the powers and setting. Typical gods and cosmic horrors should work fine. Similarly, you can take from anime by saying that powers come from the "spirit world" interacting with humans (this can take many forms). Advanced aliens can be done more like Worm or more like Roadside Picnic, where powers would be the result of technology the aliens left behind, intentionally or not. You can say that the psyche has a greater effect on physics than was previously recognized (i.e. we were gods all along); perhaps a new form of meditation has granted access to powers. Then there's the option of having the world be a simulation (i.e. the simulators are the gods). You can get into some interesting material with that one in terms of its purpose and how the PCs came to be involved (they could be simulated beings themselves or just "jacked in").

I should mention that these kinds of explanations are mostly necessary for modern settings. If you create a completely fantastical setting, you can get away with more. As an example, One Piece pretty much just says "magical fruits give you powers when you eat them. I ain't gotta explain shit." (Actually, there might be a more in-depth explanation by now since I haven't been following One Piece, but that explanation sufficed for the majority of the story).
>>
>>78403232
>Wisdom.
Forget balance, know only chaos. If you do powers, they're going to throw balance out the window.
Since I didn't like a bunch of the system, I meshed it with Call of Cthullu rules, for more pleasant mechanics to the game I wanted.

Likewise, since it's so easy for a player to give their ideal op power, make sure your prospective's know what kind of power level and type is expected.
I handled giving them superpowers by doing a Cauldron session, as session zero, which I hoped they might half forget when we started. Gave them questions on what kind of power, gave them three vials with names that were similar in the field. Told them to choose one, and a number of power doses (1-10, more power, but more risk of case 53'ing).

However, since they're all coming from DnD, they all tried to make the most OP characters. Also, due to character creation, they all became children.
Hence derailing my first ever campaign, in session zero, as through my own mistakes with not informing them of what kind of game I hoped to run, they all made high power child pc's, instead of low power gangsters with issues.
Let them know the kind of game you want to run, and that cape games are easy to break, so don't go for power as much as narrative in character generation.

>Setting.
Using entirely separate country. Even made up a whole decade or so of history on how parahumans fucked the country (high depression and suicide rate for teens).
>>
>>78420464
I'm also reminded of Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, where he's accidentally exposed to technology that basically "unsticks" him in time and space by shedding a physical "layer" from his body. These kinds of pseudoscientific explanations can make sense if you keep them vague enough and rely on the fact that physics are not yet completely understood. And if you're going with advanced technology, time-traveling humans meddling with the past make about as much sense as anything, but I personally tend to think that time travel has a way of ruining plots for whatever reason.
>>
>>78420683
>Plot points.
Currently as I'm not very good, it's become a lot of 'what's going on, who's in the right, holy shit he's scary', but players say they love it, the freedom of mechanics, and the unique feel to it, so that's good. Want to have an underlying theme of "Good, fallible people, making the worst/best choices for the noblest of reasons". The main BBEG is one of the major npc's, and married to the DMPC who runs the government's parahuman division. Through showmanship, BBEG manages to stop villains by being a bigger villain, and DMPC proves the heroes' worth and shows they're in control by beating him back each time. Through their own intricate deception, they've kept the entire geographic area from entering a literal apocalypse and millions dying.

>Cool stories.
PC's were tested by BBEG. Fought in a siege against a tyranid-sized horde of horrors. Some players had honour duels, others got taught how to operate superheavy weaponry, because one npc saw she was bored, so he gave her his emplacement, and just jumped over the side of the wall to fistfight with the others. All got majorly traumatized by watching several npc's die (not real humans btw. Extensions of power of BBEG), gruesome deaths. Gunnery pc personally bombarded one of them that was loosing a wrestling match. Tore him in half.
Also learnt that normal, well balanced people find that image scarring.

IRL it was to see how much they could take safely in a fight, so I could sorta reliably balance an actual fight, where I wouldn't have an in world reason to pull back.

They also have their own titanic draconic transport biological monstrosity. Was originally going to be a fleshy vehicle, until same female PC and their puppy tried to play with it. Now it acts like a puppy, and likes to play. Will actually act submissive to the real puppy, but forgets its own strength when it frolics.

Hope these guys don't see this. It's supposed to be a big ol' plot twist when the find out bbeg is not bbeg.
>>
>>78420152
If you run with this and the campaign goes long enough, you can add a mysterious villain that discovered a new one and is using it to such powers out of other artifacts/bypass the multi power rule
The biggest downside to taking this approach, though, is the players’ desire to accumulate different power sets and swap between them which sort of imbalances the universe unless there’s someone they have to turn them in to. Using this approach is a great way to have two warring factions that wrestle for control without necessarily achieving dominance.
>>
>>78420683
>>78420853
Thanks for filling me in. It sounds like a good time.
>forget balance
Well, yes, I would hope to. The first fight in the story was between Bug Girl and The Incredible Metallic Dragon, and it was great. Knowing when to stand up, stand down, strike fast, run, etc., is half the fun in Worm.
>choosing powers
Yeah, in spite of how Wildbow designed his game, I figured I would have my players give me a trigger event and a rough idea of the kind of power they wanted. I like the idea that they can't control it completely, but complete randomness goes too far imo. I should mention that creating synergy between the PCs powersets seems like an interesting challenge.
>Let them know the kind of game you want to run, and that cape games are easy to break, so don't go for power as much as narrative in character generation.
Seems like sound advice to me
>Using entirely separate country
Sounds challenging...Does the cape culture differ significantly from the American one? I know it's mentioned in certain sources that even Canada's cape structure differs from America's, and India's is very different. I'm wondering if you also tried to mix it up.
>The main BBEG is one of the major npc's, and married to the DMPC who runs the government's parahuman division.
That's quite a plot twist you have there. I like it. I hope the big reveal goes well, anon.
>transport monster puppy
I would say that this was strange, but the Undersiders literally use monstrous dogs as transport, so it checks out.
>Hope these guys don't see this
If it makes you more comfortable, you can use spoiler tags and put a warning at the top of your posts, but I guess it's a bit late now

Are you particularly proud of any trigger events, powersets, or S-class threats you've come up with? I was thinking that I would make custom Endbringers to match the spirit rather than the content of the original work.
>>
>>78418412
>but if it is at Perception range you don't need to roll to attack.

And why Is that?
>>
>>78418412
Also, if I have to roll, what's the stat I should use to scale It with? Dex since it's ranged? Thanks
>>
>>78416856
You roll for attack, if it hits the enemy rolls for the defense based on the rank of the attack.

>>78421719
Perception-range is for attacks that will always hit, never-failing. The downside to Perception-range is that because it can't fail in hitting, it also can't be affected by Advantages like Accurate Attack or Power Attack, and it likewise isn't capable of critical hits (natural 20 on the attack roll).

>>78421750
You'd use the Ranged Attack skill, which is Dex based, yes.
>>
>>78421116
>A big villain can steal powers
Isn't that effectively a cliche by now? I can think of three examples just off the top of my head. Seems a bit dull to me
>>
>>
>>78422281
That’s fair. Could go more the One Piece direction where the powers are pretty well-catalogued (even if that knowledge is siloed) and have a few of the high-ranking bad/good guys that have managed to stay under the radar and avoided their powers being catalogued. I like the idea of a limited, fixed pool of powers, though.
>>
>>78421823
Doesn't It feel weird to cast a polymorph spell by using Dex?
>>
>>78421750
Because of how messed up attributes are in M&M 3e, half the stats are not worth the points. Instead take the Ranged Combat skill, but only if all your ranged attacks are from the same source. Dexterity is probably the worst offender, making you pay too much for your ranged attacks and giving you ranks in two of the most niche skills in the game.
>>
>>78426518
so it's pretty much confirmed, it's either dex or that to use ranged afflictions, even if they don't deal damage
>>
File: Quirks_Infobox.png (1.58 MB, 1920x1080)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB PNG
>>78360631
What does /tg/ think of My Hero Academia and how its Quirks work?

Also, what is the best system for a MHA game, especially one that could handle OFA and AFO, and why?
>>
>>78426446
You're not casting the spell using Dex, you're targeting the opponent with it.
>>
>>78360674
fpbp
>>
>>78416273
>the anti mutant racism
The antimutant racism makes a lot of sense in universe. Nobody really knew shit about mutants until Magneto showed up, told everyone they were better than flatscans and were taking over, and attacking the US. Later the Hellfire Club (also mutants) go out of their way to increase mutantphobia so they can sell more Sentinels. There is literally always a prominent group of mutant assholes giving people more reason to fear and hate mutants.
>>
>>78430138
I like the setting of MHA even if I'm not super into the plot. I'd run it using Fate, same as basically all battle shounen, since quite frankly everyone's powers work on PLOT anyway.
>>
>>78430138
Love the series and the "you get one thing and one thing only, and how useful and powerful it can be is entirely up to you" deal. Unfortunately the only system that could really replicate the rapidly and massively increasing power levels, not to mention OFA/AFO, would be something purely narrative. You could replicate the world easily enough with just about any supers rpg, but for that students-in-school-getting-stronger feel I can't imagine any crunchy system doing it all that well.
>>
File: deku.jpg (38 KB, 480x478)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>78430138
prolly best off with FASERIP or something more narrative. coincidentally I also found the probably the most hideous homebrew rpg I've ever seen which was also an MHA game. no idea if its good or not, I was too distracted by how ugly it is. too big for direct post

>MHATTRPGHB Complete.pdf
https://www48.zippyshare.com/v/EYSjJ2m2/file.html
>>
>>78432583
>how ugly it is.
Before I take a look, what exactly is so bad about it?
>>
>>78433405
I just think its really ugly with its art. Like deviantart photoshop tier bad
>>
>>78433542
>deviantart
I think that there are several artists there that are really good. Speaking of, this gives me an idea for art-related powers, what do you think of that, and what system would work best for that?
>>
>>78360631
The Tunguska Event releases an alien retrovirus that slowly infects the world. This infection reaches pandemic proportions at the end of the Great War, AKA the Spanish Flu. The Retrovirus kills most of its hosts, and for most who survive, it rewrites their genes but leaves their adaptations dormant, to be passed down. But for a choice few, their genetic modifications immediately express themselves, and grant them incredible powers. Thus is born the Golden Age of Heroes. Though, however, this is not the only way to attain super powers, just the most common.
>>
>>78436496
Neat idea, but I have a few questions. First off, was the virus being released a deliberate action or just a random event? Two, how has the presence of heroes and villains affected history? Third, what are the other ways to acquire powers?
>>
>>78360631
What is the best way to handle something like the Green Lantern Corps, both mechanically and narratively?
>>
Kinks. Upon reaching the age of majority you get the powers based on the combination of your parents' kinks, which makes it a bit awkward with the secret identity, as you parents are your biggest fan, but would never admit to it so they pretend they haven't recognized you in your domino mask. And you pretend to not know they are both pervs.
>>
>>78442517
What do you mean, "mechanically"? Like pre-made stats for what they can do? Or some kind of "if shit goes down, roll X to see if Big Space Cops notice and come to investigate/deal with it?"

Narratively is comparatively easier - some older/more advanced culture decided that they needed a force capable of policing space, whether it's just their own local space or some greater slice of the pie (the GLC each have a beat that's literally some 1/3600 pie piece of the entirety of known space from Oa to the Source Wall, including huge numbers of galaxies). How they're powered is up to you, whether that's the GLC and their titular lanterns (and the being that powers them) or the Nova Corps and the energy generated by their Worldmind supercomputer.
>>
>>78384767
kewl
>>
>>78444175
Once again the sense of scale is completely stupid.
>>
>>78430946
This makes everything even more confusing, mind to explain?
>>
>>78360631
What would be a good system for a Grrl Power game? Does anyone have any ideas please?
>>
>>78447142
How is it confusing? You're not "casting the spell using Dex" - you're targeting the opponent with it.

Player A wants to hit Enemy B with a ranged attack, so he rolls the relevant Ranged Attack skill. That's the Dex requirement, has to beat the opponent's Defense skill, in this case Dodge, which is based on the Agility ability score.

If the attack hits, Enemy B rolls for defense, using whatever Saving Throw is targeted by the Affliction (could be Fortitude, could be Will), the roll needed to avoid being affected is based on the rank of the effect.

This is in effect how all combat works in M&M. Saying an attack is a "spell" is just a descriptor, the attack is the effect itself, with the descriptor only really mattering if the target is vulnerable or resistant to effects using that descriptor.

The Damage effect, for instance, could be Wolverine's claws, or it could be a lightning bolt called down by Thor, depending on modifiers and descriptors.
>>
>>78442620
How on Earth would kink-based abilities work? The only thing I can think of right now is bondage giving control over chains and stuff.
>>
>>78449393
What, this one? http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Grrl_Power

>>78451853
Size play using sizeshifting, flying for mid-air sex, speed for the turbofuck, mind control speaks for itself, shapeshifting for all sorts of fun, extra limbs for big hugs, power negation to render someone strong helpless and easy to overpower, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>78453885
Okay, are there any powers that could ‘not’ be tied to kinks then? If so, what are they?
>>
>>78449834
It got confusing by the fact that some people seems to say that actions that result in Afflictions without any damage element seem to not require any roll, you just announce it, add 10 to the rank and the target has to roll his defense to resist it equal to the result, but if you say that you have to roll in any case that would explain it.

I'm aware of the descriptors thing yes.
>>
>>78453885
Have you actually read it for yourself? I find it pretty good, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
>>
>>78455936
I'm working on a lewd supplement for M&M 3e. ALL powers are lewd powers.
>>
>>78456684
Ah, yes.

Basically, if you look at the list of Power Effects, if it says its type is Attack then you need to roll to attack - only two exceptions to that are two specific modifiers:

Area - say "I'm hitting this area here," and enemies/whatever is in the target area has to roll Dodge to have a chance at not being affected by the power's full rank.

The aforementioned Increased Range: Perception - as long as you can perceive the target with an accurate sense, you can hit it. "Accurate" senses are touch and sight by default for normal people, but theoretically could be any, and a psychic might even have their "mental" sixth sense be accurate, for example.
>>
>>78460995
Please give us more information. Do you have it on a Google docs or something so you can post it here, please?
>>
>>78360631
How skimpy should the outfits of female heroes and villains be?
>>
>>78360631
Q U A N T U M

This is unapologetically ripped straight out of White Wolf's Aberrant setting as best as I can remember it, but so few people have played it you'll more than likely get away with it.
The core concept is that in response to great mental stress, physical strain, or quantum exposure, one in a few million brains finish developing a growth that exerts control over quantum forces. This node stores and channels the quantum into effects based on the person and how they think.

The effects it creates are only imitations, a Super's fire is a quantum mimicry of fire. The node isn't perfect either, and overexertion/strain can cause damage to the Super's body and mind. This eventually builds into permanent taint, which manifest as mental and physical aberrations. The Super being divorced from their humanity.

It provides a unified stamina pool, though your efficiency with a given power can vary, and it distinguishes been relaxed and stressed power usage, which was broadly in and out of combat.
A subset of powers were physical, mental, and social capabilities, which required little to no quantum to maintain but were strictly Super Strength or Intelligence or what have you.
Another subset of powers was fucking with other Super's quantum, copying to stealing to suppressing to et cetera.

I really like it, and the setting does fun things with it like quantum-attuned clothing, the potential if humanity, whether or not Supers are human, that sort of thing.
>>
>>78468755
>quantum mimicry of fire.
How does that work? Does it not follow proper thermodynamics or something? Is there any way to deal with the taint?

Also, what else can you tell us about the setting please?
>>
>>78421307
>Choosing powers.
The proper game mechanics have a whole spreadsheet on trigger events and the resulting kind of power you'll develop, as different trigger stimuli develop different powers relatively.
>Separate country cape dynamics.
I just went off what I know my country would respond like, in government regulation and in cultural image. Both are pretty laid back, keep it normal, don't be a showoff kind of attitudes.

>Custom S-class threats.
Bbeg could easily be an S-class threat by himself. Otherwise I've got another pretty potent S-class threat a little like the Siberian crossed with poison ivy.
>Trigger events.
Spoiler if you think game may be relevant to you, or hell, if you play a Worm-verse game, because if you do, this may be major spoilers.
Should have done this before.
Married couple are 22, honeymooning, with their six month old kid. Due to escalating gang war, a driveby happens and a stray burst of bullets get fired their way. Two of three make it. Wife triggers with power to make herself really light while keeping inertia, so next time she'd reach the bullets in time to take them herself. Husband triggers with the power to change his own anatomy perfectly, similar to Amy, but inverted. Both join the great parahuman war for the pacific at its climax, and are some of the few who survived it unscathed, and continue to be active. The entire government funded parahuman division bar wife packed it in, so she's been solo-ing it and making deals, until PC's arrived. In one of the more recent sessions, two players who were getting suspicious, under heavy coercion of one (the rebellious one) snuck into her study to try and find anything incriminating. They found two photo's. One of her with a bunch of other capes, one with her, the husband, and a toddler they've never seen before.
>>
>>78460995
Thou art a hero, a scholar, and a man of exceptional calibre my fine fellow.
>>
>>78464852
>>78470882
Have a preview of the application of skills including the new Seduction skill (making Presence slightly less shit) and a preview of a number of the villainous archetypes taken from the Gamemaster's Guide. There's still a LOT of work that needs to be done, mainly because the project's been on the back burner ever since Christmas. But in a month or so I'll have two weeks off from work and since there's nothing I can do because of the coof I might as well make some serious miles in this project.

>>78467709
Depends on the theme of the setting.
>>
>>78470121
>How does that work?
The quantum forces, broadly speaking iirc are electromagnetism, gravity, the weak and the strong nuclear forces, so it does allude to using those. But a Super theoretically could create and manipulate a ball of quantum energies, that kind of thing is what the powers are derived from.

>Does it not follow proper thermodynamics or something?
Generally yes, depending on the Super. It's damage resembles a burn, but it would usually have a tough time starting an actual fire.

>Is there any way to deal with the taint?
It's tough. Before it becomes permanent it slowly fades with ideal rest, nature, and social conditions. Permanent taint is very difficult, especially because the more taint you have the more upsetting your presence is to those with low or no taint. You have two options: You can try to acclimate to it through chrysalis, a quantum cocoon where your body is broken down and rebuilt around your node, or you can try to purge it, which involves learning a secret martial art and practicing an extreme asceticism.
Both of these are phenomenally hard to learn about, as it's a major setting gear, but that depends on the kind of story you want to tell.

>Also, what else can you tell us about the setting please?
Cont.
>>
>>78471975
Oh, and here's some tables for randomly generating sexy superhero costumes.
>>
>>78471991
>tables for randomly generating sexy superhero costumes.
Thanks. Do you have any more tables like this please?
>>
>>78472509
I'm working on a random table that gives you a lewd 5 point template to add onto your character, but that one's still in the works because it requires using the rules of the game rather than just thinking up outfits.
>>
>>78470864
>I've got another pretty potent S-class threat a little like the Siberian crossed with poison ivy.
I can't really imagine what that's like, but it sounds like a boatload of "fun." Good luck to your players.
>triggers
The wife's has a brutal irony to it. Feels like it could have come from canon, really
>>
>>78472825
Greenpeace activist loner girl triggers with the power to create a bigger, better, sexier, stronger feywild version of herself that can control plants and flora.
Is also a complete psycho. Happily kills any humans she can, and bullies/manipulates her summoner into going along with things.
Will make a bloody good point about how the world's problems are all just "too many humans, doing too much harmful shit", since that's all she was created to care about.

She has less planning then the A-class dude called "The meteorologist". Dude can make a moderate hurricane class weather pattern over five kilometers of area in as many minutes. Triggered from workplace and life harassments because he never got the fucking weather right, and was a chronic putz.
Paranoid schizophrenic, could be massively dangerous, but is just too useless. Tactic is just make him emotional so he looses control. Was funnier when I made him.
>>
>>78472825
Best way to write worm capes anon. All the powers are ironic.
They don't fix the problem, they make it worse.
If they're triggered in response or relation to a concept, they're often false or hypocritical (Lung has his chinese dragon theme, when he ran away from his trials with the Yangban and prison, and never really took his victory over real adversity. Hatchetface triggered from a bully brute targeting normals, so his power makes them normals, and him the bully brute).
Taylor gets trapped and abandoned by people who don't care to help, in a rotting locker filled with bugs and spiders, so now the bugs and spiders are hers.
Eidolon had nothing. His powers gave him everything, but in reality took the last things he had left in his life from him.
>>
>>78472956
>bullies/manipulates her summoner into going along with things
A projection of the projector's mindset at one point in time, influencing the projector from then on...it seems like you're nailing the "worminess" in this game. Do you think it would be possible for her to "get better," or is she just screwed now?
>Dude can make a moderate hurricane class weather pattern over five kilometers of area in as many minutes
That's bad publicity. The media would be calling you Little Leviathan as soon as you crossed the villain line. What really sucks is that it's "powerful" but not really very useful, unless my imagination is failing me.
>>
>>78471991
>latex gloves - when you want to fight evil in a hygienic way
Not going to lie, I'd totally be into a latex SuperMaid that is trying to sweep the evil off the streets.
>>
>>78471982
>Also, what else can you tell us about the setting please?
The main superhero team is Team Tomorrow, and they're organised by Project Utopia, who work towards their namesake through supporting and studying supers, and distributing super-made technology to the world. Tech wise the world is sporadically advanced, and major terraforming projects have been completed, like a green Sahara.
Project Proteus is their seedy underside that carries out assassinations and shit, and if left to their own devices has sterilized most of the super population.

Teragen is the supers superiority faction, in a "no human law applies to supers" and consider the difference larger than between humanity and apes. The most powerful super is leading these guys, he calls himself Divis Mal and he is a prick.

Aberrant is a faction of anti-Utopia supers, because they suspect Utopia does terrible things, they end up being right because of Proteus.

Speaking of, the timeline is, roughly:
>a bunch of supers appear
>groups emerge, Utopia starts doing it's thing
>things get good tech wise, stability wise
>Divis Mal to Chat: "based, fuck humans"
>Divis Mal easily kicks the shit out of telekinetic superman equivalent from Team Tomorrow, solidifies Teragen
>____ to Chat: "Utopia sterilized supers."
>taint riddled supers get a bit upset
>human-super war breaks out
>not one-sided because some supers still try to protect the humans who're not at fault
>eventually china issues ultimatum: Leave or we nuke the earth back into molten rock gg no re.
>Divis Mal takes off for the stars with superkind

There's a lot more, but that's the footnotes without player intervention that I can remember.

The setting uses the term Nova for supers, but I haven't been using all the terminology to try and keep things a bit clearer.
>>
File: Strongman.png (78 KB, 900x1200)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>78360631
The best superhero origin is hard work, anons.
>>
>>78474827
But how do they handle enemies with actual powers, then? We can't all have a literal billion-dollar fortune for cool toys like Batman.
>>
>>78473747
>if left to their own devices has sterilized most of the super population.
Okay, why did they think that that was a good idea? They had to know that someone was going to leak the truth eventually.

And after they leave, what stops more supers from popping up amongst normal humans?
>>
>>78472595
Alright, thanks. Please post it here if you finish before the thread gets bumped.
>>
File: Chess Pieces.png (786 KB, 2112x971)
786 KB
786 KB PNG
I have a bizarre question for you guys. I'm trying to make a villain team for my players to battle against, and I want to base them, thematically, on chess pieces. I have some ideas, but I can't quite pin down what powers and abilities some of the members of the team should have. Can you help me out? I'll post what I have so far.

>King: an elderly supergenius, he masterminds the team's activities. In chess, the King is the most important piece. If he's captured, the game is over.
>Queen: currently unknown. In chess, the Queen represents battlefield control, being able to move in any direction.
>Rook: a powerhouse with incredible strength and durability. In chess, the rook charges in one straight direction and takes out anything in its path.
>Bishop: I was thinking they could be a teleporter, representing the Bishop's ability to go anywhere, but diagonally. I could also see them as a sort of shapeshifter, representing a Bishop's tendency to "sneak attack" other pieces from a far-off corner.
>Knight: I'm thinking the Knight should be the most "mundane" of the characters; the team's Batman, representing how they move on the board being less straightforward than other pieces. I could also see them being the shapeshifter, instead of the Bishop, for the same reason.
>Pawn: definitely a duplicator capable of creating three independently-operating clones. Individually nothing to write home about, but it's hard to fight four dudes at once, especially when they're working to help the other team members beat you senseless.

What do you guys think? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>78478911
Well, hard work and being born under a magic meteor that grants you superhuman strength and durability.
>>
>>78473108
>>78473108
>Nailing the Worminess in this game.
Cheers anon.
If the players find her, and decide to do so, then they might be able to, but I'm trying to take them from the carefree, no rationality, linear thought paths that you get from DnD. If I send them up now, one player will just kill her, not even to kill the projection, just 'because'.
But I don't want to punish them to the stage where they spend hours planning everything out, because I've played that and it sucks ass.
Gonna try and take everything back as much form numbers as possible, hopefully that works.
>Little Leviathen.
I'll probably handle him more like a lightning wizard, but very pathetic.
>>
>>78481970
>Okay, why did they think that that was a good idea?
Some supers powers lined up in a way that made them explosive breeders, both with a birth or more per day and the resulting child both imprinted with the parents' powers and growing to maturity within months. Proteus was worried about losing baseline humanity, both because of fear, the argument that supers weren't human, and that humanity/nature provides a environmental balance that the super's node/quantum needs to not passively develop taint.
There is also that tainted supers generally had tainted children, which in the worst cases was like churning out monsters.

>And after they leave, what stops more supers from popping up amongst normal humans?
The big conspiracy of the setting is that Divis Mal is actually much older than all the other supers, like 70 years of powers to their just becoming supers, which was why he was so powerful.
He engineered a satellite disaster that showered the world in quantum energies and kickstarted the super age, and when all the supers leave there's no longer enough passive quantum to ignite new supers. Theoretically humanity eventually could naturally develop the node and quantum powers, but that's in the far flung future and only one of their potential developments.
>>
>>78485030
What was the reason that Divis Mal had powers for so long before the present, anyway? Also, potential developments?

I looked the setting up a minute ago, there’s apparently a second edition out that removes the sterilization bit from canon, among other things, BTW.
>>
>>78360631
M&M seems a little crunchy, and I've heard Masks is really only good for teen heroes... What are some other good systems? I'd like to emulate the tone of the Timmverse Justice League, or maybe Avengers 1, where the heroes come together for the first time but aren't world-breakingly powerful yet.
>>
>>78488237
Seconding this please. Does anyone have any ideas for us regarding a decent system for this?
>>
>>78488003
He's Dr Primoris from the first of this trilogy, the Adventure! games. Essentially, he was front row for an accident that created the low-power proto-supers of the setting. These ones used either quantum or subquantum energies, and those are the two broad potentials of humanity in the trilogy as I understand them.

I haven't read the books in a few years, but I was under the impression it'd become a "here's what might happen DM, but use what you want for your game". I'm happy to be wrong though.
>>
>>78488237
>>78490014
I think M&M 3e is your best bet, as it streamlines a lot of 2e.
I'm all over this thread gushing about Aberrant's setting, but it's system isn't very good by any stretch.
>>
>>78491274
NTAYRT, but I wasn't a fan of how 3e made things more expensive.
>>
>>78484629
Bumping this!
>>
>>78360631
A meteroid hitting earth at some spots.
When someone who has been influenced by a meteroid runs across a trigger (usually panic but a range of different effects can be it) it will trigger.
With this you can have your guys be one of the first, slowly start the build up while having unknown people suddenly manifest power.
You have hooks for origin cause, backstory hooks (maybe some young people went off to the city which got hit, but didn't tell their parents; another person might have lost his gf but gained powers....)

Later on reveal that those meteroid always appeared but this was the biggest one (due to either chance, or failure of an organisation).

Cons are that:
-It can be quite localize unless you declare like a period: "For 5 months meteroid came down periodically..."
-Hard to fit in magic school
-Hard to fit in goddly descent (think cleric or things like thor)

Though by having the earlier generation, you might be able to build up a magic school, those who became before
>>
>>78484629
For Pawn, robot lackeys also work really well, especially in service of your Superintelligent King.
>>
>>78491274
Again M&M is crunchy enough that I wouldn't be able to convince my group to try it
>>
>>78494653
Only character creation is really crunchy, play isn't too hard. That being said maybe consider using FATE?
>>
>>78494016
That's a cool idea, but I was hoping for the Pawns to have a smart-ass personality that won't make sense if they're robots.
>>
>>78388331
Not if the superpowers themselves are dissimilar.
>>
File: Screenshot_79.png (65 KB, 306x163)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>78467709
all superpowers are nudity-based. the less clothing you wear, the more powerful your abilities. all combat is also a striptease.
>>
>>78494784
dunno, there are some aspects on how the game is written that makes things overall confusing, like some pregen characters you roll don't respect the PL restrictions that the game itself settles in the first pages of the manual

like a PL 10 character (champion) having
8 Dodge+12 Tough=20 so it's ok
12 Parry+12 Tough=24 so it's not ok by 4 points
9 Will + 12 Forti = 21 so not ok by 1 point and so on

this shit makes me feel dumb and it's overall confusing, but in general the rules are well written and explained, I would just like that the book itself would respect them.
>>
>>78500714
You're probably mixing and matching things in the quickgen but the important thing to remember is that the game is not actually intended for rolled characters but custom built. For defenses the important thing to remember is to always, always, always cap the defenses of a PC but that NPCs often have holes and even absurd ones in their defenses.
>>
>>78501101
not really, since it's just a matter of adding numbers together and those numbers are final

i want to master this game seriously one day, but for now we were looking for a mindless one shot, so my players insisted on rolling their characters, and every time i saw this kind inconsistencies i was really confused because i don't know if it's a matter of me not understanding the rules as written or the game just mocking me
>>
>>78501235
The quickstart can be confusing. There are certain parts that aren't rolled because they're set earlier. It also doesn't work as well because it can be tough to make good one shot characters without the players knowing the system well. FATE is much simpler.
>>
>>78501235
I was about to reply to your post screeching that the archetypes were balanced just fine, but then I remembered that there actually is a section for rolling characters in M&M. Honestly, why would anyone roll a character in a point buy system? Just use the archetypes if your players are lazy or just make your perma GM cuck build custom pregens
>i want to master this game seriously one day
Its just d20 man, it only looks complex until you finish chargen (which is arguably the most fun part)
>>
>>78501482
i explained to them that creating a character is actually pretty fun, but i guess it will be a matter of the main campain, not a big deal
>>
>>78501482
in my group when we test new systems and games we are used on rolling random characters, it's like an inside joke, so that's the reason
>>
Redpill me on the different cape systems.
What are the pros/cons?
Which ones are shit?
Which ones are GOAT?
>>
>>78502143
Well when you've got a point buy system that isn't meant to have characters be rolled then you're likely to not get a proper feel especially when you're making mistakes due to a lack of reading comprehension.
>>
>>78502551
We didn't make mistakes, the characters have those values for real.
>>
>>78503626
No. If you actually read through the quick start then you'd find that they don't.
>>
>>78503671
dunno why you keep on calling it quickstart when it's the actual manual.

Anyway, when you are done with the rolls you are given the final point count and the actual stats you should have at the end, and yes, they match.
>>
>>78360631
An experimental alien ship broke down and exploded in the solar system. It sent a wave of super energy out, giving people powers, aliens showed up to investigate.
>>
>>78361502
I'm not a fan of skirts, just seems impractical. Wonder Woman is the only exception, and only when it's stylized to look like that one kind of Roman armor thing.
>>
>>78495778
Why not? You could have a lot of fun with a smartass that knows it's expendable, unless personality-having-AI aren't a thing in the setting which is fair enough.
>>
>>78503747
The section is literally called the quickstart character generator. You're proving my point that you have no reading comprehension.
>>
>>78504231
Or simply that the book isn't in english.
>>
>>78362399
The power copier trope makes no sense, unless it's working on the same source.
>>
>>78504810
It's fictional metaphysics, none of it makes sense
>>
>>78363590
If anything it's more realistic. Replace "pandemic" with "alien invasion" and you've got a great story in the news channels.
>>
>>78368795
Wait, all humans had powers before this? How does that work?
>>
I like MASKS as a concept, but I feel the execution falls a bit short. So many of their playbooks feel related in a way. I can't think of a single hero that doesn't fit at least two, or usually three. If they had you pick two things, like an origin story playbook, and a superpower playbook, then that could be better, but that's also pretty far out there for a PbtA game.
>>
>>78384767
How do aliens have the human infinity symbol?
>>
>>78506145
Many different cultures came up with the idea of the Swastika without ever interacting with each other.
>>
>>78505748
No, it happened before humans evolved, it's why Earth dogs and stuff don't have superpowers either.
>>
>>78506145
Is it really so mystifying that two cultures think of a loop as a symbol for infinity?
>>
Legacy and Protege are the same fucking thing, and this drives me up the god damn wall. Being born into a super family, or being adopted by one, shouldn't fucking matter!
>>
>>78388687
Wonderful and ideal.
>>
>>78507848
If it happened so long ago, that implies that more than just humans should have powers. Why is that not the case then?
>>
File: super pets.jpg (97 KB, 512x379)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>78510437
It is the case, super-animals crop up all the time in DC comics.
>>
>>78508099
Legacy is living up to your family name, while Protege has you adapt someone else's style as your own.
>>
>>78513376
All I'm hearing is po-tay-to po-tah-to.
>>
>>78430138
>What does /tg/ think of My Hero Academia and how its Quirks work?

It’s pretty standard shonen shit actually.
I know by theming it as “superpowers” the show seems like it’s being original, but for the most part 90% of shonen battle anime follow the “one person, one power” logic and then you watch them improve or extrapolate on the power.
>>
>>78431534
>"you get one thing and one thing only, and how useful and powerful it can be is entirely up to you" deal.
90% of all shonen works like that these days, MHA just makes it a bit more interesting by ceasing to pretend it’s any kind of martial arts (it’s amazing how many variations of ki people will try to think up that work basically exactly the same way as Ki does) and just admitting it’s superpowers.
>>
>>78451853
There’s an anime called Speed Grapher. It’s literally about a evil guys weaponizing sexual fetishes.

The main dude gets the ability to instantly messily kill anyone he takes a picture of with any camera, because he’s a stringer for Japanese and international news. It turns out he gets off on photographing scenes of carnage and vouyerism, and he wasn’t even really aware of it.
>>
>>78360631
Well like I'm gonna be in a MHA sorta game and it's vaguely genetic stemming from X-Men Jesus?

Like my guy can turn others into monsters, his father could turn himself into a monster. His father was a sentient monster that could infect others like a sorta kaiju zombie virus. It makes sense. And the time periods sound pretty convenient too that during the world war 2 mysticism you'd want zombie kaiju man, during the cold war you had self made kaiju man, and under our post modern shit man makes you into a kaiju
>>
>>78442620
Now THIS is pod racing cringe
I'm pretty vanilla. Just like teenage girls. Am I immortal?
>I keep getting older and they and by extension me stay the same age
>>
Is there a trove for Masks? It seems neat, but I don't know if I want to pay for it?
>>
>>78515812
Yeah, immortality is pretty fitting if you're into teens. Because no matter the age, there will always be teen girls.
>>
>>78515812
>>78517941
No, his superpower is being the Ultimate Alabama native.
He has no other powers and is a completely normal human, but anyone, anywhere in the world recognizes you as a native of Alabama on sight, even if they have no other knowledge of the United States, and they will also instantly respond you and react to you as though you are from Alabama and believe every stereotype anyone has ever applied to Alabamans applies to you, no matter how you act to the contrary.
>>
Reminder that weeb capes are shit.
>>
>>78494016
>>78495778
Chess guy here; I'm reconsidering your idea and thinking that the King could be assisted by a small cadre of drone "PONs:" his Personal Offensive Network. Is that too cheeky?
>>
>>78521820
I still need to work on hashing out the abilities of the other pieces. It's a struggle, because I want them to be sort of a goon squad that are only truly dangerous as a group being coordinated by King, and not so much individually.
>>
>>78521820
The Pawns should be with the Queen, who can revive from any of their bodies if she is defeated. The King hangs out with Rook, and is able to summon Rook to his side to defend him. If you then make Bishop and Knight powerful 'assassins' capable of either long range or sneaky combat, this means that the players will have to defeat all of the lesser pieces to get to the Queen and King or have a very hard fight.
>>
File: download.jpg (342 KB, 941x1437)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>>78522273
Oh, that's much more interconnected than I was originally thinking. My idea was for a group like the Thunderbolts or Royal Flush Gang. They share a theme, but aren't as thoroughly united.
>>
File: gallery_1_14_11895.jpg (141 KB, 877x453)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>78360631
>>78468755
In the 2e version of Aberrant, what are some potential actions that the PCs could take to prevent and/or lessen the damage of the Aberrant War while still making sure psions start coming into being for humanity's future fight with the Doyen?
>>
>>78360631
Do you want any random idiot to be able to stumble into super powers and become a super hero? Or do you want it to be like athletes in the real world where only a very small number of extraordinarily talented and determined people make the spot light?
>>
>>78521869
Well, Highschool DxD has a similar chess theme with its Evil Pieces. Maybe it can give you some inspiration.
>>
>>78523931
Was that face shopped onto the creature in the bottom-right, or is it in the original?
>>
>>78484629
>Queen
I think of the dynamic between Jack Slash and the Siberian in Worm. Jack is squishy (kind of) and leads the team, while the Siberian is "both an unstoppable force and an immovable object" and basically can't be shut down even by the strongest heroes. She can protect Jack but only if she stays close, which limits her effectiveness. Apart from that, I think of Queen as both strong and versatile.
>>
>>78431534
Maybe play Hero system with a single multipower pool that has to fit the power. It starts off really small but they get lots of points as they learn to expand the pool or create new powers to put in the pool.
>>
>>78523976
What are the ups and downs of each approach? I presume that you prefer the second option?
>>
>>78526717
It's Aberrant, it's almost certainly the original.
>>
>>78360631
Currently working on a kid named the Gaffer for mutants and masterminds. He's got the power to talk to ghosts, touch them, and turn them into portable "fireflies" he carries around in a jar. He does taxidermy to create cool bodies for his ghost friends to ride around in, think carnival gaffs like devil babies and feejee mermaids. Slightly on the spectrum, he doesn't get why people think he's weird or why they think his gaffs are disgusting. He's Sid from Toy Story but with a good heart.

>>78523931
Aberrant and Godlike are the pinnacles of gritty superhero RPGs. Weaverdice is like a training bra for them.
>>
>>78523976
>>78529569
Why not both? My setting has it so that you can get powers randomly or acquire them through "secondary hyperstasis" technology, which includes magic. Magic works by following "astral chords" set by 19th century magicians to develop predictable powersets.
>>
>>78442517
Rom the Spaceknight.
>>
>>78523976
That second one would imply you can squat your way into being Superman, and I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.
>>
>>78515812
Well, the power shouldn't be based on your kink, it should be yours parents' kink - so your children would be immortal. Unless your wife was secretly kinky af and everybody who knew your superpowered kids thought you are the perverted source of their powers.
>>
>>78535808
>should be yours parents' kink
You know, wouldn’t powers being based on the kinks of the individual, not the parents, make more sense?
>>
>>78413580
One thing about the Grrl Power origins is that they know someone is doing it deliberately. Why? Because all the super-types are absolutely frickin' GORGEOUS! All buff bodies,, tall and flawless. And every super-female has an athlete's body and HUGE ONES!

(The protagonist Sydney gets her power from controlling alien tech and so is exempt from that. Which annoys her no end.)

The theory is that whoever is empowering people is wanting them to be accepted, or maybe even become an elite.
>>
>>78539801
Same could be said about the guys, it literally was before I stopped reading. Everybody with powers is cheesecake.
>>
>>78360631
How does Weaverdice rate as a supers game system? Have there been any recent developments? If you could change one thing about the system, what would it be?
>>
>>78360631
A Haruhi Suzumiya style god-on-earth doesn't realize that she's a god and wishes she lived in a world which had superheroes. As such she bends reality in such a way that random people begin acquiring superpowers all around the world. She alters reality in such a way that superpowered individuals always existed throughout human history. Nobody knows reality has been changed, and nobody realizes, not even the god-girl.
>>
>>78546019
>Nobody knows reality has been changed, and nobody realizes,
But in the example you gave, several factions ‘did’ realize that reality had been altered. Also, where did the girl get her powers from? And what happens once she’s made a world of superheroes? Give herself powers that she’s actually aware of?
>>
>>78539801
>they know someone is doing it deliberately
Well, a more recent storyline implies that Deus, the head of a powerful corporation, knows how to deliberately make supers.
>>
>>78547837
She's the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter.
>>
>>78551482
>seventh daughter of a seventh daughter
That can't be the only reason, otherwise, with how many kids they had in the past, every seventh child of a seventh child would have been fucking reality over every other day.
>>
>>78554064
what if she's a seventh daughter of a seventh daughter of a seventh daughter of a seventh daughter then
>>
>>78551482
>>78554577
Hold on, is that supposed to be like 49 generations or 2 generations and an assload of kids?
It's not hard to have 7 kids, save for the time it takes.
Also, how to we harness the incredible power in childbirth numerology?
>>
>>78554742
It's two generations but it also is a thing of the same couple having seven consecutive daughters then the seventh daughter having seven consecutive daughters with the same dude.
>>
Bump.
>>
>>78360631
What is /tg/'s opinion on heroes and villains like picture related, who get their powers from their alien physiology?
>>
>>78564471
I thought Steel got his powers from making a robot suit.
>>
>>78565048
I was talking about Manhunter. And Superman, but he can pass as a human.
>>
>>78567444
You can only tell J'onn is exceptional when he's up against other Martians.
>>
>>78362341
Based
>>
>>78484629
Why not make the King's power the ability to grant others power or be a power battery to a limited capacity while in a certain proximity. Capture the King and the others go from a major threat to an average one or lose their powers all together.
>>
>>78568136
That's a good idea for a group that sort of got their powers all together, but this is a more ragtag, Suicide Squad/Thunderbolts sort of team, with wildly different origins.
>>
>>78360631
I always prefer original settings.
>>
File: 3000.jpg (232 KB, 1200x1200)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>78360631
Which is better in your opinion; high-powered heroes and villains like Superman, or heroes and villains with lower power levels (or even no powers at all beyond tech) like Batman? Should the villains be more powerful than the heroes, or vice versa?
>>
>>78360631
What's the best interpretation of Batman, the Joker, etc.?
>>
>>78360631
>My players have been after me to run a Masks RPG campaign,
get new players.
>>
>>78361502
A clear theme. It should be easy to guess their name.
>>
>>78575664
So, like Batman has a bat symbol on his chest?
>>
>>78575612
You'll call me a nostalgiafag but B:TAS.
>>
>>78581559
It's the best, especially given that it's the same canon as the other DCAU stuff like Static, JL, JLU, and BB.
>>
I'm working on a superhero setting where all the ancient greek heroes from legend were basically the superheros of old.

At some point all the gods went into a long slumber and slowly the superheros disappeared since the gods were no longer having relations with humans resulting in divinely powered superbeings.

In 2012 the gods reawoke as did the bloodlines of all their descendants from loooong ago. Suddenly we have superheros.

So basically the idea is that all superheros are descended from gods. I've never read Percy Jackson, but from what I understand I basically ripped off Percy Jackson, lmao

Not all superheros are descended from Greek gods, some are descended from Aztec gods, Native american gods, Asian gods, ect.

Some are also descended from lesser divine figures like Nymphs and Satyrs. Or from Cryptids.

I do have ideas for some less common power sources too. Highly advanced robots, and non-divine humans using incredible technology or even magic mixed in with the divine supers.
>>
>Creating one reason for all super powers to exist
Cringe.

>Letting many reasons for super powers exist but it's actually just one meta reason enabling the others
Super Cringe.

>Any excuse you can think of can make super powers and they all just work
Based.
>>
>>78583637
>Any excuse you can think of can make super powers and they all just work
Like picture related you mean? What are some other examples? And why is it so based?
>>
>>78583275
Alright, color us intrigued, can you please tell us more about it?

>>78581559
>B:TAS
Why that continuity?
>>
>>78584118
Yes. Not really super heroes, but fantasy RPGs are usually riddled with power sources. Variety is fun, and everyone boiling down to the same backstory is boring.
>>
>>78588016
>Variety is fun, and everyone boiling down to the same backstory is boring.
Even so, variety simply for the sake of variety can easily get complicated and hard to handle, which specific settings do this well in your opinion?
>>
>>78588929
Why does it have to be complicated? So long as the abilities gained are balanced in general, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
>>
>>78589161
>balanced in general
And how do you make sure of that?
>>
>>78591669
What kind of question is that? It's not like unifying everyone's background will make the powers gained from it balanced either. That has nothing to do with it any way you go.
>>
>>78592273
Alright, but that still doesn't answer the question of what you do to maintain balance. Or do you not have an answer at all?
>>
>>78594882
It's answering it cause it's a fucking idiotic question. You don't need to balance it because there is only imbalance if you're a dumbass who thinks unconnected things need to be made into rock-paper-scissors.
>>
>>78584118
Bad example since they folded in the Earth X explanation into main continuity.
>>
>>78596101
No they didn't.
>>
>>78496091
Uhh no?
The same source can work in multiple different ways.
>>
Page 10
>>
File: kara_dies.png (455 KB, 749x555)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
How about this.

You get super powers any time you surpass your death. If it literally should have killed you, and was supposed to kill you, you get super powers.
>>
File: dcrm.jpg (94 KB, 410x630)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>78600369
Resurrection Man?
>>
>>78600569
I guess?

I mean more the typical stuff. You fell in a radioactive vat of ooze. That's supposed to kill you outright. If you managed to crawl out, you now have super powers. Touch one of those electrical mega towers that sends power across continent and didn't get your arms literally blown clean off? Super powers. Your name was written in death's notebook for tuesday's commute to work, and you survive that 10 car pile up anyway? Super powers.

Your fate was literally death that day, and you lived anyway. You get super powers related to the incident.
>>
>>78600569
>>78601556
Final Destination but in reverse, I guess. Death doesn't stalk you forever. You get a reward instead. Then again, supers do tend to attract danger just by existing. Danger that wasn't present till they existed...

Oh no, I think I figured out something terrible.
>>
>>78601619
Oh no, you made the shittiness that is Worm.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (91 KB, 400x549)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Anyone play/play with/fought against a summoner-type character? What's their deal?
>>
>>78494016
>>78484629
Going off what this anon said, have the entire team be robots or people in suits with "King" acting as the mainframe/pilot, Queen acting as his mouthpiece / figurehead, Rook as his big fuck you hulkbuster type machine/suit, Bishop as his stealth operative (invisibility, teleportation, ect) and Knight as a long range attacker or assassination tool. Pawns can simply be unpowered mooks or literal drones like that other anon suggested
>>
>>78363403
So...
Something like WORM?
>>
>>78601556
So your powers don't change if you die again?
Then less like Resurrection Man.
>>
>>78360674
Not the answer we wanted but the one we needed
>>
>>78601749
Played with one in my first M&M campaign. Long story short, they're mechanically great, since you can abuse the action economy of the game to do way more than you should.

Flavor-wise, I think it's kinda meh to be honest: in a game where you're supposed to be in the spotlight as the hero of the day, many were the times where my friend ended up as the butt of the joke, punchline being always something in line with "he didn't do it without his demons" or some shit like that. It kinda takes away from your personal shine if you're literally having others do your work for you, so unless you make it interesting by embracing it and building your hero around that, or doing something like a general leading an army or, I'd always advise to pick something more player-centric.

Superheroes don't delegate, unless it's a "go help the civvies while I fight the bad guy" situation.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (138 KB, 1280x522)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>78603396
>Superheroes don't delegate, unless it's a "go help the civvies while I fight the bad guy" situation.

The Freedom City Play-by-Post explicitly forbids this type of character. There's a character who, like Robot from Invincible, directs a robot duplicate from a distance, and they had to take the Feedback flaw so that any damage their duplicate took also wounded them, so they couldn't just "hide" from the fight.
>>
>top tier
Accidents (bonus points if it involves radiation)
Magic beans
No explaination
>medium
Genetic mutation
disease
Innate (but not chosen one)
>Bottom tier
Powers rely on some resource (ie speed force, yellow sun)
Chosen one nonsense
"he's just super smart..."
Technology (this can be medium if done well)
>>
>>78360631
I had the idea of turning my long running call of Cthulhu campaign into a superhero game using this as the origin for powers.
https://youtu.be/mD4J5VUwiAs
Where when you get it shot through you, it gives you a superpower.
It will start with this and Anatoli gains powers but it’s covered up and he’s eventually used as a weapon of war so it can’t stay covert forever. The investigators get wind of it and since it seems supernatural, they’re tasked with checking it out. Then they find that a few more people have used the method to gain powers and basically it will be like the typical, escape or die CoC encounter like if they run into an elder god. But right as their captured someone is blasting themselves and their power just so happens to be self destruct and they accidentally destroy the collider, which shoots out a bunch of particles and gives everyone in the room (including the PCs) superpowers. They would then switch their character sheets over and the game would go on from there in a world with super humans and lovecraftian horrors. Many of the particles would escape during that initial explosion so maybe about 1% of Earth’s population at random would have powers to start with.
It doesn’t make any scientific sense but who cares
>>
>>78603477
Yeah, I can get behind that. Only NPC villains should have summon powers, for endless goonsquad shenanigans and the classic few vs many comic strips.
>>
>>78603800
I agree with the rule in principle, but it did mean I couldn't play my orbital satellite inspired by Brother Eye.
>>
>>78603800
>Only NPC villains should have summon powers
What about if they have more limited summon abilities, something like a Stand?
>>
>>78604775
Stand-type powers should only work if you have no powers of your own. I might even go as far as to say that both you and your Stand have to share an amount of points equal to the PL limit, with the alteration that your Stand's PL maximum stats are limited by the game's PL rather than that of the Summon effect's ranks. Even then, Summon 10 (Active, Controlled, Feedback) is 30 points, which is quite the investment.
>>
>>78603612
Awesome idea!
>>
>>78603838
That character can and should be made by creating your Buddy Blank not the satellite, it's the flavor to the alternate form and a comp not the actual character.

>>78604775
Most Stands are just descriptors for the power and in the rare cases they aren't the Stand is the character not the person who has the Stand.
>>
>>78449393
Superbabes, it's an old game that's all about being members of the Femforce with some bizarre pieces of writing and those classic 80's rules.
Being stupid makes you harder to kill amusingly enough, while being prettier makes you easier to be.
>>
>>78596737
Yes they did. It all comes down to Celestial science experiments unless its magic.

DC is sort of the same way. Humans are destined to become the 5th World, so they all have potential superpowers that get expressed through the metagene and accidents. They turned all their powers on during World War III. And on a higher level, all superheroes are powered by descent from Ahl, god of superheroes.
>>
>>78600369
>>78601556
>>78601619
>>78603555
Has anyone done epiphany based superpowers? Instead of a random accident, you're moved by something emotional in your life and you get powers.
>>
>>78611036
Capeworld has.
>>
I've always enjoyed curses gone horribly right or "fixed". Some guy breaks some ancient relic and turns into a monster so he pays a wizard for a charm that lets him stay in the driving seat or a family member got cursed generations ago and now the whole family has learned how to live with and even take advantage of the condition to be heroes.
>>
>>78506145
Dude its a loop. This isn't like an esoteric symbol you have to have a cultural background to get.
>>
>>78608355
I think he meant Post-Crisis Brother Eye.
The bad one.
>>
>>78615361
Ugh, why would anybody go with that one?
>>
>>78615602
Because I have SHIT TASTE, anon. Are you telling me you've never had SHIT TASTE?
>>
File: download.jpg (288 KB, 503x558)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>78615361
>the bad one

EYE disagree.
>>
File: supes.gif (1.93 MB, 520x480)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>want to run a supers game
>can't decide on what system to use
>can't decide whether to use an established setting or make up my own
>ask players they all say "run what you want to run"
>>
>>78616715
Not that shit, aside from my ex.
>>
>>78360631
Kudos to you for taking this approach. Having a unified origin for all (most) powers can bring some needed depth and control to a supers game.
>>
>>78618025
Exactly, Like Aberrant for example. Sadly, I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, can you?

Also, should we make a new thread when this one dies?
>>
>>78619161
A general one instead but yes.
>>
>>78361502
functionality. I'll never enjoy super heroes that are so potent they're functionally gods. I prefer supers that are hard pressed to take out SWAT teams on their own, and are likely unable to contend with a team train specifically to counter them. the costumes should be equally grounded.
>>
>>78510762
In my first Masks game one of the players wound up saving a Golden Retriever from a burning building. In the sequel campaign, I had that dog showed up again as "Goodest Boy", having triggered during the event and gained superpowers. He had the power of "positive reinforcement"; the more praise and love he got, the stronger he became and the more sub-powers he received (sonic barks, adhesive spit, iron-tough fur, etcetera).
>>
>>78600369
I once ran a Worms-esque setting where powers worked something like this. Once you got superpowers you became functionally unkillable; anything that WOULD kill you would instead result in your body mutating further in response to that trauma. The local anti-superhuman paramilitary group learned this the hard way when they had a sniper take out a local pyrokinetic with a shot to the head and instead of dropping, he transformed into a building-sized mass of plasma.

>>78611036
In that same campaign one of the players actually got their powers in response to being accepted to their college of choice. Another got their powers when they were about to make the game-winning throw in their high school basketball game.
>>
>>78619522
Best hero every.
>>
>>78619623
What power did the b-baller get?
>>
Probably need a new thread. A supers general would be best.
>>
>>78619623
>The local anti-superhuman paramilitary group learned this the hard way when they had a sniper take out a local pyrokinetic with a shot to the head and instead of dropping, he transformed into a building-sized mass of plasma.
How much damage did he cause? And is there any way to kill someone with powers despite this? There must be an upper limit, right?
>>
>>78620825
I second the motion

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.