[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Bearbarian Edition

>UA: Gothic Lineages
https://media.wizards.com/2021/dnd/downloads/UA2021_GothicLineages.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20%5Bmulti%5D/5th%20Edition%20%285e%29/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>77695364

What is the dumbest build in 5e?
>>
>Same TQ
>Same image

Please no. At least use a good bugbear image
>>
>>77701133
TQ: Martial.
>>
What are some of the druids go to spells?
I get all the good concentration spells like spike growth or entangle, but after round 1 where you cast that, what do you do other than cantrips? What is the druids fireball?
>>
>>77701175
Man doesn't even like bugbears, he's just avatarfagging.

>>77701185
Plant growth is great, but after casting a concentration spell on a wizard I wouldn't waste any slots on fireball, the most overrated spell in /tg/
>>
I am a bifag and really liked playing bugbears for years but the obnoxious bugbear poster is such a tremendous faggot I have been permanently turned off bugbears by association. Fuck you barafag
>>
Is the wheelchair the superior method of transportation? Are walkies doomed forever?
>>
>>77701185
Wildshape. You can keep concentrating on a spell even while shifted.
>>
>>77701185
Stone shape is a god tier spell unless your dm starts making all the dungeons out of specially-enchanted bricks that can't be stone shaped after you get a few sessions' use out of it.

Speaking from experience there, but it's fantastic while you have it.
>>
>>77701185
Plant Growth is non-concentration
I'd cast that first if you're outdoors, before any concentration spell you want them to be stuck in
>>
>>77701261
Only viable on a Moon druid or for the druid that give extra uses of wildshape, such as Spore, Star and Wildfire druids
>>
File: Yoda's_hover_chair[1].png (143 KB, 340x383)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>77701248
It is close, but no.
>>
>>77701185
Always had a problem with druids since, compared to other casters, they really seem confused and don't have any easily definable combat role in a game that focuses heavily on combat. That said, Heat Metal is the best low level damaging druid spell but otherwise you should take a look at some of the support spells. Pass without trace is ridiculous, Healing spirit is damn good and hold person is good on any caster

If you're trying to be a more front line based character, I quite like primal savagery for cantrips
>>
File: morg disgust.jpg (31 KB, 345x275)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>77701293
Imagine playing any Druid except Moon Druid. That's like playing a Fighter who's not the Battlemaster.
>>
>>77701312
The combat wheelchair can also float with upgrades
>>
>>77701319
Druids are the best summoners in the game, and are great at battlefield control as well.

Heat metal sucks as it's too situational, cast flaming sphere instead if you want damage.
>>
>>77701215
If you're open to multiclassing, I like scout rogue 3/battlemaster fighter x. You'll be more focused on archery, but you can take maneuvers which work with both melee and range. You want scout 3 for skills and expertise in tracking, and it enhances your mobility as an archer.
>>
>>77701360
I've never once been able to get good use out of flaming sphere
Rather use the slot on Moonbeam
>>
File: w6h6w1a9bcx41.png (2.07 MB, 2032x2362)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
>>77701175
>48 KB, 563x655
Anon, have a big picture.
>>
>>77701337
Moon druids have a retarded powercurve. I'd rather have a consistently powerful character.

Shepard, Wildfire, Stars.. even land are all much more enjoyable druid archetypes. Arguably, Shepard is the strongest druid subclass from level 5 onward. Besides, EK's and Rune Knights are definitely worth playing over BM's as they are about even in effectiveness, and Echo Knights are by far the best fighter subclass in the game.
>>
>>77701413
>Echo Knight
Retarded Critical Role shit pls go and stay go.
>>
>>77701395
Moonbeam is flaming sphere but worse in every way. Requires an action to move, can't hit multiple targets.. you realize you can use your bonus action to deal flaming sphere's damage every turn consistently?
If moonbeam were a bonus action I'd agree because then we could combine thorn whip with it or something.. but we can't.
>>
>>77701456
It's an official class, deal with it. Don't know shit about critical role either, all I know is that it's broken and the only reason not to play one over a BM is because it's banned at all tables.
>>
>>77701413
>Shepherd Druid
I am annoyed they haven't Sage Advice or Errata'd Shepherd Druid to adjust to the TCE summon spells, since the new summons don't have hit dice.

I'd also say the Shepherd totem should consume wildshape uses instead of just being 1/rest, but after level 6 unicorn totem is really strong so I understand why they wouldn't.
>>
>>77701471
>can't hit multiple targets
How can't it hit multiple targets?
>>
Wildfire druid is best druid because you can get a hot fire elemental waifu with better mental stats than half the party
>>
>>77701471
If you want something to combo with Thorn Whip use Spike Growth
>>
>>77701175
>>77701406
This looks like a cool character to play. A Bugbear Barbarian attacking enemies 15 feet away? And that actually combos perfectly with Polearm Master because you attack 15 feet away, then your reach reverts to 10 feet on your turn so you still get an AoO if they approach.
>>
>>77701530
>13 INT, 15 WIS
lmao that thing beats any nonwizard in chess
>>
>>77701506
Ah, I don't mind losing out on the hp from mighty summoner, bypassing damage resistances was the best part of the feature. But yeah, it's kinda messy to not have them work.

>>77701521
You don't deal damage when moving it (as it's the first time a creature enters it), so the only target you'll be hitting is the one you're moving it on at the start of it's turn. Unless you place it in a chokepoint or something.

>>77701543
Nah, I just wanted moon beam to be good instead of the hot garbage that it is now.
>>
>>77701530
You can also use it to knock enemies prone with Thorn Whip
>>
>>77701530
It's one of the best pets in the game. Swapping positions around has great tactical use, and dealing 1d6+prof damage in an aoe consistently as a bonus action every turn adds up.
>>
File: 1614103514934.jpg (269 KB, 1920x1080)
269 KB
269 KB JPG
>martial in light armor, not really a tank
>can do some real damage
>good with both melee and ranged
>spells optional
>no pets
>good at tracking
Any class and subclass recommendations? I'm mainly considering Swashbuckler or Monster Slayer. DEX Battle Master is always an option but I played one just recently and I never played Rogue or Ranger, at least in 5e.
>>
>>77701637
>bypassing damage resistances was the best part of the feature.
Sucks that they specified natural weapons too, but I kind of understand that they might not want four satyrs with magic shortbows plinking away from a distance.
>>
>>77701700
If you want to be both melee and ranged, consider being a rogue. Your damage will be lower than a ranger's anyway, but rangers are more incentivized to specialize in melee or ranged attacks.
>>
>>77701694
Its kinda weird how wildfire druid has a consistent use for their bonus action where they do fire damage but also gets flaming sphere, a spell where they do fire damage with their bonus action. Seems kinda useless.

Related question: Does flaming sphere occupy its square? Can you block off a hallway with it?
>>
>>77701637
>instead of the hot garbage
Moonbeam is very strong in chokepoints and upcasts well

>so the only target you'll be hitting is the one you're moving it on at the start of it's turn
It's a 5 foot radius and 40 feet high. It hits 4 tiles at ground level.
>>
>>77701133
Dear Koboldtards,

If Gnomes aren’t superior, then why did Garl Glittergold trick your dumb poopyhead “god” to be stuck in a maze for eternity? Checkmate Kotards.

Turning Point Isle of Lanthan
>>
>>77701751
Only spells that summon an actual creature take up space
You can walk through a flaming sphere, spiritual weapon, etc
>>
>>77701751
You can't move it in an enemy's space (just ram with it), but there is nothing in it that says enemies can't move through it. It's still a great control tool: put it behind the enemy frontline engaged with yours, and they will be forced to move. Often, you can force opportunity attacks or for them to take flaming sphere damage again.

I think it's okay for wildfire druids to get it, as I suppose you can run out of wildshape uses? Somehow? Really even if it gets killed it's no sweat off your back. Overall the wildfire spell-list has been buffed compared to when they had fireball on it, so I can't complain.
>>
>>77701555
Nice trips. It's feat-taxing (PAM, Sentinel and Crusher to move enemies around with secondary PAM attack), but indeed it's cool build. (I play Primeval Guardian for extra reach.)
>>
>>77701751
Flaming Sphere is the consolation prize wildfire druids get for having Fireball removed from their spell list.
>>
>>77701788
>Moonbeam is very strong in chokepoints and upcasts well
Very strong in 10ft chokepoints.. where have I heard this before. Practically all of the druid's spells excel in chokepoints. And this still takes our full action to move.

>It's a 5 foot radius and 40 feet high. It hits 4 tiles at ground level.
Oh right. Guess it can be decent if you consistently hit 2 or more enemies every single round- until level 5 when cantrip + flaming sphere (which could hit multiple targets depending on placement, or force OA's long before then) deals more damage anyway.

I don't see why I'd ever want Moonbeam over flaming sphere.
>>
>>77701907
fire immunity i guess
>>
I'm an arcane trickster
Be nice to me or I'll prank the barbarian
>>
>>77701921
Fair. If I'm going to fight fire elementals or the like I'll take moonbeam or spike growth instead.
>>
>>77701959
FIghting a bunch of zombies with it as a consistent source of radiant damage felt pretty great. But otherwise flaming sphere is probably the better pick
>>
>>77701907
Some druid subclasses are pretty bonus action-hungry (Dreams, Wildfire, Archer Stars) and they are often off-healers due to their access to healing word, so having action spells is useful for them.
>>
File: y66.jpg (56 KB, 720x696)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>go off the beat and path a bit
>encounter some spellcaster from an assassin organization
>dm describes her as some epic bad ass as she throws insults at me and the party
>well ok I'm a 13th level wizard with a +3 dc magic item so I cast disintegrate with a save of 21
>"y-you better not she can cast 9th level spells!"
>really
>"y-yeah!"
>so is she the organization leader
>"no she's just an assassin"
>so you're telling me a 20th level god slaying mage, a person who can bend space and time and achieved legendary feats is somehow totally unknown to us and also has elected to be a low level lackey.
>"w-well the high ranking members are level 40!"
>so I can't fight her
>"no, you have to do what she says"
ok
>>
>>77701994
And come to think of it.. Wildfire druids could make great use if it because their bonus action is taken by their spirit anyway. Very ironic that they'd be the ones to use moonbeam consistently over flaming sphere
>>
>>77701907
I like Heat Metal better than Flaming Sphere. Boss fights are almost always against a humanoid enemy of some kind and forcing bad guys to drop the magic sword he's trying to skullfuck the party with is incredibly satisfying.
Even if they make their save it's still disadvantage and no-save damage every round while you can use your action for something else.

Bullying Rezmir into dropping Hazirawn is fucking hilarious
>>
>>77701700
Light armor and being good in melee and ranged really limits your choice to just rouge
>>
>>77702012
just fucking fight her, whats the DM gonna say, "no you dont cast desintegrate"?
>>
>>77702010
I once saw a Moon druid use moonbeam.. probably because of the name? They accidentally walked into it and the rest is history.
>>
>>77701700
Play a melee rogue. Evasion is obviously I-frames from dodging, Uncanny Dodge allows you to reduce damage taken by half with your reaction making you deceptively tanky. Sneak Attacks are viscerals.
>>
File: smug helmet.png (477 KB, 754x709)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>77702012
>beat and path
>>
>>77702054
well yes, at the time he did say exactly that so we moved on. Next week the party plans to try and fight her because we were all incredibly angry at the whole situation
>>
File: 1584320293925.jpg (76 KB, 637x358)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Reading through the new gothic lineages UA I am really liking the idea of a Reborn character. What class/subclass would be a good fit for an undead? I know the obvious ones like necromancer and death cleric are on the table, but are there other ones that would be a cool thematic fit for a zombie character?
>>
>>77702031
Heat Metal is what witch bolt wanted to be. You can get teleported to the fucking Astral Plane or the other side of the world, but as long as you didn't break concentration whatever thing you decided to microwave is going to keep popping until the spell runs out.
Meanwhile you break witch bolt if you walk 31 feet away from the caster.
>>
>>77702065
these days it seems 20th level npcs are a diamond dozen
>>
>>77702071
>I attack her
>"no you dont"
lmao what a fucking situation
>>
>>77702084
The most annoying part is the dm has this incredibly smug chuckle, I can never tell if it's intentional but it so annoying to hear him make vague threats about how strong his npcs are underlined by ominous chuckles
>>
>>77701700
see >>77701390
>>
>>77702077
>undead
Depends entirely on the undead and their views on undeath, as well as what they are like in life. Do you have more to go off of than "Undead"?
>>
>>77702077
The memories thing synergises nicely with skillmonkeys like bards and rogues, so maybe phantom rogue/spirits bard?
>>
>>77702077
What defines the character outside of being a zombie? A zombie can be anything, they can be like a revenant and go for vengeance paladin or they can celebrate their new life as an ancients pala. A sorcerer makes sense, since you clearly had a life changing event that gave you power.
I´d go for shadow sorc
>>
>>77702077
Phantom Rogue, obviously, but Whispers Bard and Long Death monk, thematically.
>>
>>77702031
It's great when the situation comes up that you're facing a boss vulnerable to it, just never seen it come up. More often then not, it just sits there in your prepared list to rot
>>
>>77701406
Thanks anon, this is a good quality version
>>
File: skeleton paladin.jpg (284 KB, 849x1200)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>77702077
vengeance paladin that swore an oath to protect the living from the curse of undeath because it really sucks mad dick being undead

also shoutout to shadow sorcerer
>>
>>77701907
>I don't see why I'd ever want Moonbeam over flaming sphere.
Undead, hallways (coincidentally both appear a lot in tombs), flying shits indoors
It's not the best Druid spell but it's far from terrible. Anything spell gains an extra damage die per round from upcasting is at least worth considering
>>
>>77702105
This is the part where you grow a pair and tell your DM that you as a player do not appreciate being railroaded like this. A level 13 party is capable of influencing the entire world, forcing them to do shit they don't want to is nearly impossible. Someone capable of casting seventh level spells doesn't need to do anything they don't want to.

Tell him instead of this cringe bitch showing up and forcing you to follow his pre-written script that you would prefer if she approached the party and offered an actual incentive to do what he wants. She's a 9th level caster, maybe she's willing to use Wish for each member of the party once if they do what she wants, or offers magic items, or to true polymorph someone into whatever they want. Just being a sexy sorceress means someone will want to do her quest because they hope she'll fuck him.

You need to use your actual words to resolve situations like this. Passive aggressive shit and trying to fight the DM in-character will not work out.
>>
>>77702169
Any spell that* gains an extra damage die
Apparently I had a stroke typing that sentence the first time
>>
>>77702169
Cloud of daggers, it has the best scaling out of any persistent spell and requires no save. Unfortunately, outside of my lore bard necromancer, I've never seen it cast.
>>
>>77702225
It's a 5 foot3 cube, so unless you have some serious control options or a very confident grappler it's hard to get extend mileage out of it.
>>
>>77702225
You can't move it so it's kidna awkward in practice
I suppose it might get some use if you have a party member that went all in on grappling, just drop cloud of daggers on top of the first thing they grab to blender them and have the grappler drag more shit into your knives
>>
>>77702251
If it could be moved, it'd be way superior over moonbeam. Alas, it cannot and so it's just there for forcecage shenanigans to chop up tarrasques or whatever.
>>
>>77702225
You can't move it so it's hard to get good mileage out of it unless you have a party member that went all in on grappling to drag more people into the blender
>>
>>77702225
>I've never seen it cast.
Probably because you need to find a way to actually keep your target there since, unlike many other persistent spells, it doesn't follow your target, target multiple creatures or move. This makes it way more unreliable
>>
File: image_2021-02-23_200353.png (37 KB, 1044x196)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
So I have this player who is a lovely fellow who always gets in character and is a nice lad to play with, even if he never cares about the crunch of character building.
Thing is this time around he wanted to play a warlock of the undying but sadly there isn't a single undead in the campaign that I have planned, so I feel really bad that his level 3 feature will be absolutely useless. Any idea on how it could be changed?
>>
>>77702284
If you're going to be casting forcecage you may as well graduate from daggers to sickening radiance
>>
>>77702128
I mean it 100% depends on the type of campaign you're in. If you're monster hunters who only ever fight dragons and dire wolves and incorporeal undead for some reason then yeah it's not gonna be useful, but how often is that really the case?

It's useful against every enemy wearing any metal armor or wielding a metal weapon. Even if someone is Resistant to fire damage the spell still works on them, they just take half as much damage; if a demon without fire Immunity is holding a sword he still has to save or drop it and even if he makes his save he gets Disadvantage.

If a spellcaster uses a metal wand or ornate staff as his arcane focus well lmao better save or drop it. Bad guys love making their shit out of gold. How many villains wear a crown of some kind? A lot, in my experience
>>
>>77702252
>>77702286
>>77702288
As a necromancer lore bard, I had my animate dead zombies grapple with bardic inspiration dice and cutting words to push enemies into it. Honestly, was more of a style thing.

Wish swarmkeeper ranger was out at the time- they could very effectively push someone into it.

>>77702313
Sickening deals way less, and nothing you want to target with it is going to fail it's saves.
>>
>>77702225
>>77702251
Question about Cloud of Daggers - it's a cube, which I would normally think conforms to the shape of a battle grid (and so only occupies one square), but it does say "centered on a point you choose within range" and I've always seen that language as targeting an intersection of squares like Fireball does. So does Cloud of Daggers affect a single square, or does it extend into four squares as though it was a 5-ft radius sphere?
>>
>>77702365
IIRC a cube's point of origin is one of its edges, and on a grid that edge has to be touching one of the lines on the grid
>>
>>77701282
What are some good stoneshape shenanigans outside of bypassing/sealing off doors and traps?
>>
>>77702365
It conforms to the shape of the battlegrid, so it's just a 5ft square on the battlemap. There were some mike mearls tweets about allowing you to cast it inbetween squares, but those were kinda retarded, allowing you to quadruple the radius of a lot of spells.
>>
>>77702307
It's basically the effect of the Sanctuary Spell, so just change it to "When a creature attacks you or targets you with a harmful spell, you may cast sanctuary without any components as a reaction, targeting only yourself. The spell immediately takes effect, potentially causing the attack or spell to be diverted to a new target. Once you use this feature you may not do so again until you have taken a long rest."
>>
>>77702347
You don't use Sickening Radiance for Direct Damage, anon. You combo it with force cage to force them to make 100 saving throws, of which they only need to fail 5 or 6 to instantly die. Even if Con's a strong save you'd be hard pressed to find something that doesn't fail 6/100 times
>>
>>77702420
really good, thanks, feels a bit powerful but since the player behaves well it will be okay
>>
>>77702407
Nothing I can think of, Stone Shape was massively, massively nerfed compared to old editions since it only affects up to 5 cubic feet now
>>
>>77702307
There's the UA Undead warlock which is essentially WotC's "rework" of Undying. It's pretty damn strong but since the player doesn't seem the type to abuse mechanics I'm sure you could iron it out with them
>>
>>77702442
Unlike that feature, sanctuary immediately ends the moment you attack or cast a spell targeting anyone, so if anything it's weaker but more broadly applicable than the base effect. The base effect of the feature lasts as long as you don't attack that particular undead that tried to attack you.
>>
File: sensible chuckle.gif (992 KB, 250x250)
992 KB
992 KB GIF
>>77702082
>>
would there be a huge difference if you let bards and sorcerers (and any spellcaster really) change spells similarly to how wizards and clerics can?
>>
>>77702432
> Even if Con's a strong save you'd be hard pressed to find something that doesn't fail 6/100 times
Not too sure about that one. Lots of enemies with advantage and absurdly high saves. Also, a lot of high high CR things are immune to exhaustion effects.

Cloud of Daggers will deal 200 damage on average with a 4th level slot, increasing by 50 for each higher level slot at no save. Now that's something I can put my trust in.
>>
>>77702488
Quite massive, honestly.
Most of the wizard's power comes from versatility of not being locked into niche spells once he learns them (on top of the massive spell list to choose from), he pays for this with worse class/subclass features compared to Bards and Sorcs.
>>
>>77702488
Bards would be insanely broken if you allowed them to swap magical secrets.
>>
>>77702552
unrelated, but could be fair to say that wizards have the best spell list?
>>
I had my first death over the weekend after almost a year playing with a Roll20 group. And it pisses me off. I’m an awful storyteller, but I’m still mad about it.
>Doing Dungeon of the Mad Mage
>Playing Half-Orc (male) Champion Fighter
>Deep in the mega dungeon, like sixth level
>Find hidden door and open it
>Slapped with the most bullshit trap I’ve ever seen
>Halister, the Mad Mage (the DM), played a “trick” on me
>Turned into a female of a random race—no save, no warning
>DM rolls Tiefling for me
>Tell DM it’s fucked up and I don’t like it, but roll with it
>ain’t no bitch (figuratively now) when it comes to negative effects in the game. I’ll roll with it for now
>Fucks up my character fishing for crits with Champion and comboing with Orcish Savage Attacker
>Clear Level
>Head back up to Waterdeep
>apparently no one can fix me
> DM says I will have to use a wish which I can get at the end of the campaign from Halister
>No, fuck that. We have months if not a IRL year to go
>I have 12,000+ gold from doing Dragon Heist campaign previously
>Take out ads all over the city and send criers out with flyers all over the region inviting anyone that can fix me to come to waterdeep and do so
>DM says nobody answers
> I’m holding the game up at this point, but I apologize for it
>DM actually heavily implies I’m misogynistic or transphobic for not wanting to play a character I didn’t make
>Kill my character by jumping from the highest building
>quit
Still seething
>>
>>77702580
Yes, this isn't news to anyone. However it ends up being Clerics who are the best spellcasters, because they have their WHOLE list available to them and Wizards have no guarantee of that. Plus their Domains give them enough free prepared spells that you can actually afford to prepare some niche utility, while the Wizard is stuck with 75% of their list being the same day to day.
>>
>>77702580
At high levels, yes. At lower levels it's clerics purely because of Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>77702601
>Becomes woman
>kills self
kek
>>
what are some of the more popular multiclasses?
I know only about the sorcadin and the warlock/fighter

On another note, has anyone looked into a bard/sorceror? sounds fun as a roleplaying idea, but I'm not sure about how useful would it be
>>
>>77702620
Also if the DM makes the mistake of running a campaign with undead... Good luck not getting them obliterated by a short rest wis save aoe.
>>
>>77702605
Tasha's new sorcerers have about as many preparations as clerics at level 9 (20 vs 24 assuming +5 wisdom) and get exactly the same as the wizard even at level 20 (25 vs 25 at +5 int).
Most boring way to buff sorcerers, but okay WotC.
>>
>>77702601
Reincarnate is only a 5th level spell and wouldn't fix you but would at least give you a chance to become a half-orc again.

Though reincarnate for some reason doesn't give the option to roll for sex. Kind of weird that in a game made by publishers trying to be woke a non-elf with gender dysphoria will still be stuck in the wrong sex even after literally being reincarnated as another race.
>>
>>77702663
>popular multiclasses
>warlock/fighter
What?
>>
>>77702686
God there is no better feeling than ruining an encounter with a single action that doesnt even cost a spell slot.
>>
>>77702651
Yes
>>
>>77702713
>we buffed sorcerer
>... by making every previous subclass irrelevant!
T-thanks Wizards...
>>
>>77702651
Damn, the DM was based all along
>>
>>77702721
what kind of fucking retarded reply is that
>>
>>77702713
The difference there being that they can't swap them out day by day. But it's a good power boost to the Sorcerer - I think if the Sorcerer had outright twice as many spells known as it currently does (so twice as many prepared as a Wizard, and about as many as a Wizard knows from leveling up, but the Wizard can get many more from scrolls) then it would actually be a competitive tradeoff with the Wizard rather than just being an inferior version.
>>
>>77702748
>Here´s our book that we advertised with optional class features for older content!
>Actually fixing old stuff because we clearly admit we fucked up? lmao, go take weapon master on your fighter kid and let the grown ups talk
>>
>>77702663
Paladin warlock
Sorcerer warlock
Fighter 2 caster any (ideally 5)
>>
>>77702663
Barbarogue, Cleric 1 Wizard X for the armor proficiency/heals, War Wizard/Bladesinger 2 x anything else for the saves/AC, Hexadin, Sorc or Fighter 1 x Spellcaster X for the con save proficiency are some common other ones.
>>
>>77702601
you were right
what kind of fucking GM does this fucking thing to a player who clearly isn't having any fun with the idea? a fucking cunt, that's who
I've played tons of fucking pranks to my players and fuck ups, but always with the intention of having a fun session. If a player stops enjoying my game its my duty to fix that as long as it doesn't fuck with other players

Your GM was just a fucking asshole with a fetish for muscled futanari demon girls. Based fetish, but an imbecile
>>
>>77702737
I almost fell out of the chair laughing like a maniac when the DM described for a good minute in detail a spooky skeleton-cruised ghost vessel approaching our boat to board it, just to have every single creature on it erased by the cleric during the first round of combat.
>>
>>77702822
>Barbarogue
wait what? that's a new for me, how does it work?
>>
>>77702802
>go take weapon master on your fighter
Oh damn, I actually forgot about that. What the hell were they thinking?
>>
>>77702859
Barbarian gives you reckless attack for advantage so you can sneak attack with it. Just use a rapier with STR, then you get rage damage and sneak attack. You give up survivability for damage and skills, although the rogue with uncanny dodge and evasion adds his own type of survivability
>>
>>77702859
Rogues need to use a Finesse weapon for Sneak Attack, but they don't have to be using Dex with the attack. So Barb 2 can attack Recklessly for advantage on every attack, and get Sneak Attack with it if they're using a Finesse weapon like a rapier.
>>
>>77702785
I disagree, they should have gone hard on buffing metamagic. Wizards learn through studying, so them having a lot of spells they can swap to makes sense- sorcerers have an innate connection to magic, so they should be the best at casting the magics they use and this is where WotC failed to make a satisfying sorcerer. Most metamagics should not cost sorcerery points and should be more daring in what they can do. And they should be able to be combined at a sorcery point tax- imagine adding knockback to our damaging spells and then combine that with selective aoe metamagic to blast enemies away from our party with a flaming fire snake instead of just casting fireball, and rerolling some damage dice.
Sorcerers shouldn't require material components unless they have a listed cost or need to make incantations- how would they know the incantations if they are BORN with magic?

Swapping spells isn't even something wizards do all that often- they tend to rely on the best spells for each tier like the sorcerer does. Their main benefit is not having to prepare rituals and ritual casting.
>>
>>77701700
Play another system.
>>
>>77702859
You take 5 levels of barbarian, realizing that unless you plan to take GWM you're not really gaining anything out of more levels of it. So you start taking rogue levels for sneak attack progression. Remember, sneak attack requires finesse weapons but you don't have to use DEX to attack.
>>
>>77702935
Barbarogues should be taking two levels at most unless they want to dip berserker or play a dedicated grappling build.
>>
>>77702907
>>77702914
>>77702935
the biggest drawback is explaining what the fuck you are fluff-wise
>>
>>77702958
Conan the barbarian. Really they fit extremely well flavor wise.
>>
>>77702946
Nah, multiattack is great. Rogues love CBE for it. Also you get another rage and a subclass
>>
>>77702946
Extra attack is good for you
>>77702958
You're the local thieves' guild brute, you're a bit slow on thievery but your good a bashing heads. If you can't refluff you're not fit for roleplaying desu
>>
>>77702990
I think Conan more like a barbarian with 20 in everything and proficiency in stealth rather than a multiclass with a rogue
>>
>>77702958
A pro hunter. Like a sabre tooth tiger, you pounce with great force and go right to the throat. Take expertise in survival and you´re a great tribal hunter
>>
>>77702958
Rogue is literally the most vague class outside of being a martial (honestly the sidekick "Expert" class might be a better descriptor). Any wily fighter works as a rogue. A barbarogue is just a more cunning barbarian.
>>
>>77703007
>>77703021
>tribal hunter who assassinates beasts
>thieves' guild brute,
that's fucking good, I was thinking of a thief but from a northren country a la chaos wastes, but your ideas is much better
>>
For Clerics, is it important to pick a domain that gives you heavy armor? It seems like that's a huge boon when it comes to not only boosting AC but reducing MADness since you have Wis and Con to focus on, and don't really have room for 14 Dex. The Str requirement of the armor is really just a suggestion - you're not meant to be mobile anyway, so is 20 ft instead of 30 really such a big deal?
>>
>>77703000
>Rogues love CBE for it.
It's actually a poor feat to take as a rogue. And extra attack is not worth three levels for a rogue.

>>77703013
Conan is super fast- cunning action dash? He's more than just somewhat stealthy- expertise stealth. Barbarians aren't just hardy brutes, they are great at climbing and highly mobile, with peak survival skills.
>>
>>77703040
It increases madness, unless you're a dwarf. Movement does matter on a cleric. At the end of the day, it's just +1 AC and you can get 16 wis, 16 con and 14 dex easily on any cleric.
>>
>>77702182
>speak to the dm as if he were an adult
have you met the average dm?
>>
>>77702552
>he pays for this with worse class/subclass features compared to Bards and Sorcs.
yeah except Wizard subclasses are fucking great and include shit like Bladesinger (Stacks with mage armor, allowing a wizard with 20 INT and 16 DEX to have 13+5+3=21 AC), going up to 23 once they max DEX. Oh and they get Extra attack and can replace one of their attacks with a cantrip without needing to use their bonus action.
or the retarded time wizard from EGW that gets to cheat both the action economy and concentration effects and also guarantee rolls like divination.
>>
>>77703040
>so is 20 ft instead of 30 really such a big deal?
Like a seatbelt, It isn't useful until it is, at which it will suddenly be glaring.
>>
>>77703052
Of course he isn't more than just somehwat stealthy, he is proficient with +11 to rolling for it, but it isn't his expertise. He isn't a brute, and its shown with max intelligence and wisdom, and the handsome motherfucker also deserves a 20 in charisma
No, I don't see any rogue levels needed to represent conan, fast movement and many feats explain his dashes and speed well enough
>>
>>77703086
Their extra attack thing isn't really a great benefit on a wizard, and bladesong is kinda weak early. There are stronger wizard subclasses- which should be telling enough.

>>77703122
I don't see pure barbarian representing conan, as pure barbs are way too slow and onedimensional. Dash with extra movement means he can't actually charge and attack- you'd want your bonus action for that. And it's not max intelligence and wisdom- it's extra skills he got from being a rogue.
>>
Paladin or Fighter? Which is best for this?
>>
>>77703086
>Green Ronin's Book of Trash
>Mercer's Way of Milking Critters
Who gives a crap, stick to PHB or most ""balance"" won't make any sense.
>>
File: C8ZBxXzXYAAuAbN.jpg (6 KB, 165x115)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I wish there was a /5eg/ discord where I could say nigger and talk nerd shit at the same time
>>
>>77703167
Paladin, so you can Lesser Restoration yourself back to normal at level 3
>>
>>77703122
Conan is obviously a Fighter/Thief
>>
>>77702713
Sorc only knowing a handful of spells sucked cause you couldn't even lean into your gimmick unless it was a type of spell that already barely existed like Cold damage or whatever
2 were taken up by the obligatory Shield/Absorb Elements so you don't just die and then at least one good buff spell to Twin
>>
>>77703189
He can walk. He just uses the combat wheelchair because it is awsome
>>
>>77703170
>muh discord
Big homo, you're probably the bara op
>>
>>77703152
>pure barbs are way too slow and onedimensional
how fucking so when they have fast movement? Also, you don't need rogue levels to get extra skills, they are gained from feats, Conan surely has fucking lots of feats, maybe more than half of the existing ones gained throughout his whole life

>>77703195
that feels more plausible. That said now I have no fucking clue where the barbarian is supposed to stand now
>>
File: M9OnbLJ.gif (4.14 MB, 500x281)
4.14 MB
4.14 MB GIF
>>77703167
>the wheelchair isn't the weapon
you are like a little baby
>>
>>77703122
Conan spends much of his career sneaking in to rob people, fighting only happens once shit goes wrong and he needs to fight. He definitely has Thief's bonus action item usage, using his surroundings to his advantage is his strong point.
He later becomes a ruler and needs to deal with running a country, Conan has exceptional Insight and is good at spotting liars and cheats (especially since he used to be one).

Conan doesn't really Rage like D&D barbarians. He wins fights by keeping a cool head and using his strengths against enemy weaknesses. Conan faces plenty of foes stronger than him, faster than him, or smarter than him but never all three at once which is how he ekes out a victory.

Also, Conan is really fucking lucky which is the rogue capstone.

In AD&D his official stats were a Fighter-Thief multiclass.
>>
>>77703229
You are right. Fighter is best for combat wheelchair.
>>
>>77703245
alright, you've convinced me, that all makes sense
>>
>>77703197
The buff spell to twin is just because there weren't competitive metamagics. I've played plenty of sorcs and haven't felt too constrained from what I wanted to accomplish- there is a lot of variation in what you can do but you can't do it all at once.

>>77703209
Ah, maybe a barbarian with 8 intelligence would work. Ask your DM if he can have 6 for roleplay purposes.

>they are gained from feats, Conan surely has fucking lots of feats
He put his feats in ASI's and combat improvements. How else are you going to replicate him? And fast movement is NOT enough, by any means.
>>
why are most barbarian subclasses fucking shit?
>>
>>77703268
Hmm a Barbarian? Dumb enough to think he can’t walk so he uses the combat wheelchair. Not a bad idea, anon
>>
>>77703310
Because they didn't know how to balance the "does lots of damage" class in order not to make it do too much damage. They scaled everything back, but didn't put anything in to replace it.
>>
>>77703310
It's half half, Ancestral Guardian, Beast, Totem and Zealot are good.
>>
>>77703314
Or this stupid asshole.

>>77703310
The base class is shit past level 5, the subclasses are usually pretty good except for storm herald and wild magic.
>>
>>77703310
Only Berserker is shit besides the lv6 feature
Storm is mediocre
>>
File: rudy-siswanto-cu-earth.jpg (325 KB, 1200x1200)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>77701237
>I have been permanently turned off bugbears by association
I am terribly sorry to hear that. Here, have a wholesome hug.
>>
>>77703310
Probably they didn't spend much thought on it, after all even if it's plagued by terrible class features and mediocre subclasses you still see it played by a good amount of people.
Much more important to spend time and money to add more pages to the Spell list of the Wizard.
>>
>>77703351
Which is unfortunately because they don't actually do all that much damage, even without GWM/PAM.
>>
>>77703419
Rage itself is good enough that it doesn't need a whole lot more
>>
>>77703407
'Zerker is great for multiclassing, and it does the most big dick damage out of any barb subclass if you aren't a pussy. And yes, playing a barb without the zerker 6th level feature is an excercise in frustration- nothing I hate more than playing a 'frightened' barbarian, and they don't get extra ASI's like the fighter for resilient wis..

>>77703419
They haven't really added all that many spells to 5e past the phb have they? Xanathar's being the big exception.
>>
>>77703420
Right, that's my point. They scaled back the damage, but didn't put anything in to replace it, which is why they kind of suck. Except for stuff like Ancestral Guardians which chooses not to focus on damage in place of something else, like defense.
>>77703455
It's really not. Two or three more damage per attack, on a class that is lucky if it can get three attacks per turn? Weapon damage resistance that becomes outdated by early mid levels when everything is magic or elemental? Advantage on Strength checks? Meh.
I would say that Reckless Attack carries the Barbarian more than Rage does.
>>
>>77703455
Just take a different martial class and you won't even need to halve the incoming damage, you're going to avoid it with higher AC and no free advantage to hit you.
Rage is complete placebo
>>
>>77703499
barbarian resistance works even against magical slash/pierce/bludgeoning damage, plenty of high level enemies have multiattacks with natural weapons
and of course bear barbarian is so popular precisely because you can resist elemental shit and force damage
>>
>>77703499
>Weapon damage resistance that becomes outdated by early mid levels when everything is magic or elemental?
Barbarian damage resistance doesn't care of the slashing/bludgeoning/piercing is magical or nonmagical
Totem Barb resists everything but psychic which is a big part of why it's so good but any other resistances can be shored up with magic items if you're that late game
>>
>>77703514
Their AC isn't any worse than any of the other martials, they can wear medium armor.
>>
>>77703167
either so long as your a sneaky fuck
you spend the whole campaign pretending to be crippled, even telling the rest of the party that you are. Have the wizard carry you around with Tenser's Disk, reach the BBEG where he just outright destroys your wheelchair, and then you just stand up.
>>
>>77703218
Im fucking lonely and I want someone to talk to
>>
>>77703547
Medium Armor is straight worse than Heavy if you're a STR martial, also this is compounded by the Defense fighting style (easily the first choice for STR martial) and not giving advantage to the enemies.
>>
>>77703533
I find bear totem very overrated anyway. Resistance to damage is neat, but you don't really need it all that much because it's more important to deal damage anyhow. It only makes a difference if said damage would have knocked you out otherwise, often it just doesn't and more damage would have had you take less damage anyhow by defeating enemies faster.
>>
Anon's, does anyone have a link to some good battlemaps / music? I'm just getting into DnD for the first time and looking for some good maps.
>>
>>77703610
Wolf totem masterrace
>>
File: 158.png (84 KB, 298x306)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
How to Fix Berserker Barbarian

>You recover a level of Exhaustion on a Short Rest

Heres why
>It gives it something the other barbarian subclasses do not, both in and out of combat
>the Ranger gets this at level 6 in Tashas, meaning playtesting has confirmed its balance
>thematically works with the berserker being an unrelenting cauldron of maddening rage
>>
>>77703310
Screw that, why are most FIGHTER subclasses fucking shit, half of them are stuffed with the worst excuses for RP skills out there
>>
>>77703610
Damage resistance doubles your effective hit points
>>
>>77703662
Frenzy should just give them an extra attack instead of going even further out of their way to make dual wielding bad
>>
>>77703610
the bear resistance allows you to Reckless Attack more often without needing to worry about being hit which indirectly increases your damage. Also remember Totem barbs don't need to choose the same animal totem every level, they can take Bear resistance at level 3 but still get Wolf knocking enemies prone and Eagle eyesight
>>
>>77703662
>the Ranger gets this at level 6 in Tashas
Level 10
But yeah, it's a good fix. Also the 10th level "fear" is still flaming garbage and not fixed with this.
>>
>>77703707
It's especially bad when Beast barbarian DOES get a free Extra Attack that doesn't cost a bonus action to use when raging.
>>
>>77703674
It does, but hit points don't really matter all that much at this point. Control spells and damage are king. And you get relentless rage anyway.

>>77703714
You always reckless attack, there is no point in which you decide not to. Most elemental damage will still be saving throw based, so on other barbs you just reckless away anyhow. And I know you can choose different totem forms, I just don't find this totem ability to be that useful.
Regardless, I wouldn't take any barb that far as to get all their subclass features unless it were a berserker or a zealot.
>>
>>77703743
Can't be done with a weapon, so it's not very good in comparison. Frenzy barbs for all their issues out damage every single other barbarian, and it being a bonus action attack means rogue multiclasses deal their sneak attack damage twice per turn while frenzying.
>>
File: 1611080109629.png (213 KB, 412x548)
213 KB
213 KB PNG
>trap PC becomes a real girl
>player gets disinterested and wants to kill or retired PC
>>
>>77703662
Rangers get it now at level 10 purely because you could easily multiclass it with berserkers otherwise. So playtesting has shown the opposite.
>>
>>77703779
>Most elemental damage will still be saving throw based,
And taking half damage from that dragonbreath is somehow not a nice bonus? Or how about all those higher CR creatures with "lol fuck the melee" damage auras?
>>
>>77703669
>Screw that, why are most FIGHTER subclasses fucking shit, half of them are stuffed with the worst excuses for RP skills out there
Because Battle Master is a subclass instead of spread out along all martial classes.

Fighters get the regular battle master progression, except Eldritch Knight, in which case they get half the progression

Barbarians, Monks, and Rouges get half progression

Paladins, Rangers, Arcane Trickster Rouge, Pact of the Blade Warlock, Bladesinging Wizard, Battlesmith Artificers, or College of Swords Bard get a third of the progression.

Boom, now all the fighter subclasses are viable and playing a martial in any other class isn't boring.
>>
>>77703817
If they playtested for multiclassing, Hexblades and Paladin wouldn't exist
>>
>>77703827
It's whatever. Not really worth taking over just having more damage, because you're still beefy on a barbarian regardless. The only fuck melees aura I know of is a fear one, if it's just damage I don't care because it keeps my rage going.
>>
>>77703861
Does your DM just like not hit you or something?
>>
>>77703805
My trans friend is the same way, she doesn't want to get rid of her dick (look I know, I say her out of respect for them), and in their ideal world they would have a dick and ovaries.
>>
>>77703857
Never said they did it well, or Peace and Twilight clerics wouldn't exist. They got uberbuffed compared to the UA. But level 1 short resting exhaustion was way too good of a dip for berserkers.
>>
>>77702082
Its a peach in cake to get characters to level 20 nowadays, im sure the only way they have any fun is to kill each other in this doggy dog world.
>>
>casts wish
>i wish that the red dragon permanently and instantaneously enlarged, similar to the size increasing effects of the enlarge/reduce spell

DM! DM! What happens?
>>
>>
>>77703857
In the actual playtesting of 5E Warlocks were an INT class, it was changed shortly before release with no playtesting to try and pander to older edition players. That's why almost all the Warlock's class skills are Intelligence, why their class description in the PHB constantly mentions knowledge, and why their patrons simply teach them how to do magic and their power doesn't actually come from the patron like a clerics does.
>>
>>77703884
How are you supposed to make that decision with medicine as it currently stands though? As much as i want to be the little girl, if you said the price was to mutilate my pp then id hold off maybe indefinitely.
>>
>>77703939
why are they releasing this now. shouldn't they wait until spooky month for more sales
>>
File: rav_exc_en.png (1.83 MB, 800x1038)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
>>
>>77703876
He does, we just use a lot of control spells and even without resistance I'm the least likely to go down despite being focused anyway because of my high damage. It only makes a difference in fights with elemental damage where I wouldn't have gone down if I took half damage, while extra damage always makes a difference.
Ancestral barbs are also better tanks than totem, so I'm not sure what they are even supposed to accomplish- when the whole party is getting AOE'd even without resistance I'm the beefiest so it'd have to be a TPK threatning AOE to scare me- even if I had resistance I can't take the damage for my party.

Now, if there were a peace cleric, my rating for bear totem would go up significantly, but there isn't. And peace clerics are broken anyhow.
>>
>>77703906
The dragons body instantly collapses on itself as its body structure wasnt meant to hold up so much mass. All its internal organs are crushed and the dragon exhales a ferocious blast of fire as the fire glands explode in its throat. The fire causes a cave in and rocks fall, you all die.
>>
>>77703906
it lost one legendary resistance for the day
>>
>>77703971
OH NO NO NO NO NO
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>77704005
Why wouldn't the big dragon want to be an even bigger dragon? I just wanted to make him happy :(
>>
>>77704029
to spite you for being a pathetic dragon simp
>>
>>77704046
Okay!
>>
>>77704009
Do we know if there are going to be more subclasses than just those two, or is it a Ravnica situation where it's a setting book with two random subclasses tossed in?
>>
>>77704046
Oh and also the the big dragon that did not want to be even bigger that he didn't have to burn a legendary resistance because enlarge requires a willing creature so he could just have willed to reject the spell!
>>
File: readniggaread.png (38 KB, 462x272)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>77704109
no
>>
>>77704109
You didn't cast the enlarge spell, you asked for him to be enlarged in a similar way.
>>
>>77704135
Oh then tell the designers of the game that it is very dumb that an unwilling creature can't reject a beneficial size enlargement magic effect without a save!
>>
>>77703946
>How are you supposed to make that decision with medicine as it currently stands though?
They're not going to, they're just living in the moment atm. I miss her
>>
https://twitter.com/kiraserpentine/status/1364274342901776392
>Cobra Bi
>Delighted to announce I worked on Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft!

>It was pure pleasure to write my strange and unusual style of queer horror for this classic @Wizards_DnD setting

>I love the contemporary updates from the original, and I can't say much yet, but its cool as hell

https://twitter.com/kiraserpentine
>Cobra Bi
>Kira Magrann (no pronouns) multi-award-winning game designer nonbinary vegan

What do you think the new Ravenloft will be like?
>>
>>77703906
Honestly it's close enough to reproducing a spell, just permanent, that I think it's fine...? It'd be an until dispelled effect like true polymorph, but it doesn't break anything too badly.

>>77704000
If that were case casting enlarge on any creature would instantly lead to them collapsing due to square cube law, and reducing any creature would lead to them immediately taking cold damage.
>>
>>77704147
Yes! Similarly to the enlarge spell!

Wait, does this mean that the effect might not have needed a saving throw against a beneficial size enlargement effect to make the big dragon even bigger?!
>>
>>77704174
>Queer Horror
felt like it meant something and conveyed something else with that description
>>
>>77704009
>large section on setting safe boundaries
people will meme about this but it's honestly expected, even super edgy Old World of Darkness books would have sections telling the Storyteller to not be a fuckwit and make sure you and the players on the same page, and not make everyone sit through your magical realm bullshit as you describe the PCs getting fucked to death by werewolf knots or whatever. Given how much people complain about their DMs being That Guy in these threads you'd think people here would appreciate something like this but it's too woke-adjacent for comfort I guess.
>cultural consultants used
This is fucking dumb, the last time Wizards used a """"cultural consultant"""" they came up with Kaya for Magic the Gathering who is just a stereotypical black woman with an afro whose job is literally being a criminal and killing people for money and taking their shit.
>fresh take on vistani
They're gonna be turned into did-nothing-wrong poor persecuted minorities, instead of cunning gypsies who cut a deal with the dark powers allowing them to operate mostly independent. They will probably accidentally make them even more racist lmao. OG Vistani aren't even that bad all things considered, if you're stuck living in a shithole that's an autistic vampire's own personal hell who wouldn't want to find a way to make life suck less.
>40 pages of monsters
If this is 40 pages of statblocks it fucking sucks, if it has a lot of description and lore and ecology like old editions had for each monster then good. I'm sick of 5E monsters having no information at all beyond what's listed in their statblocks.
>20 page adventure called the House of Lament
that seems pretty short but I guess it's meant as an intro.

>Dark Gifts are character traits with a cost
THIS is probably going to be the biggest contribution from the book, and has the most potential to skullfuck every single table. Bringing back Flaws from 3.5 is a huge fucking can of worms.
>>
>>77704176
>It'd be an until dispelled effect like true polymorph, but it doesn't break anything too badly.
No, because i specified instantaneous! Instantaneous effects like plant growth can't be dispelled!
>>
File: gigachad.jpg (65 KB, 1068x601)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>77704174
I dont care, ill skim through whatever monster statblocks/mechanical ideas from it get put on 5etools to see if there is anything i want to use in my campaigns, and will never read the rest of it or spend a cent on it, like i do for every single book.
>>
>>77704174
She worked on The Sprawl, so shes got a good head on her shoulders at least in terms of balance and entertainment
>>
>tfw you realise Gandalf would be a Cleric in D&D
>>
>>77704224
Then you would run into the square cube law problems associated with doubling the size of a creature (double the bone can't hold up four times the weight), since the enlarge/reduce spell would no longer be around to protect you.
>>
>>77704239
Basado
>>
>>77704277
No! Because I said similar to the enlarge/reduce spell otherwise! Although I don't remember if I did say otherwise, oops! But that reading should work!
>>
>>77704322
Can you not put exclamation marks at the end of every sentence? This is why the dragon doesn't like you.
>>
>>77704210
>They will probably accidentally make them even more racist lmao
This is what keeps happening. Just look at the Drow in Tasha's, WotC is pushing the "Drow don't have to be evil, they're totally good" at the same time as they're pushing "Drow don't have to have dark skin, here are some that are weird and pale" and so what we end up with is "Look, the white Drow are the good ones!"
>>
>>77704270
>tfw you realize he´s clearly an NPC and DnD cant map all fantasy characters
>>
>>77704363
Okay... I will be more humble and quiet so the dragon likes me... I promise...
>>
>>77704369
Neoliberals think all the things neonazis think, they just think that they're meant to lead them around on a leash
>>
>>77704322
That's correct, it is now a permanently and instantaneously enlarged object (corpse), similar to the enlarge/reduce spell's effect on objects. You did not specify that the dragon needed to survive the effects.
>>
>>77704369
Also don't forget Lolth being evil because she doesn't like genderfluid Corellon shenanigans.
>>
Rolled 56 (1d100)

>>77704412
Aw, that sucks... Now i have to find another one... Or maybe resurrect him...
>>
>>77704210
>instead of cunning gypsies who cut a deal with the dark powers allowing them to operate mostly independent.
Fucking lore let. That's never been what vistani are. They had a whole book about them in 2e.
>>77704369
Literally never seen them even mention light skinned drow ever.
>>
>>77704434
Isn't it specifically because she seethed at Corellon being a polygamous manwhore and she was mad at just being his side chick?
>the black goddess threw a tantrum when she found out her man was sleeping around and she was just one of his baby mommas
jesus fucking christ wizards did Sam Raimi write this script
>>
>>77704448
You should probably use another wish to wish that the revived or new dragon can survive those changes, though depending on your wording you might get monkey pawed (again).
>>
>>77704467
shhh dont go against the narrative, just be mad about wheelchairs or whatever
>>
>>77704467
>Literally never seen them even mention light skinned drow ever.
They don't need to "mention" it, just look at the illustrations in Tasha's. Look at that guy behind the Tiefling, that's a Drow. But that's so off-model for what Drow usually look like. They're making Drow light-skinned at the same time as they're saying Drow aren't inherently evil.
>>
>>77704484
Okay, i wait until the wish stress wears out and I go get a ring of three wishes from my stash. Wishes from items don't cause wish stress, do they?
>>
>>77704210
>20 page adventure called the House of Lament
I know that one, from the Darklords supplement.
>Bringing back Flaws from 3.5 is a huge fucking can of worms.
It's probably just gonna be the dark gifts from CoS.
>>
>>77701133
>thread pic
Large PC that dual-wield two-handed weapons when?
>>
File: file.png (150 KB, 500x333)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>77704525
>even Drow society deals with colorism
wow wizards very woke and progressive of you to include the Spanish racial hierarchies in your game very cool and progressive
>>
>>77704541
They do, they count as casting wish which you can't do if you've permanently lost the ability to cast it ever again. Also wish stress doesn't run out.
>>
>>77704525
>One picture
>Eberron Drow
>There are making drow the light skinned good guys
You gotta ring of jumping for those leaps of logic there anon?
>>
>>77701175
>>77701406
What are decent barbarian multiclasses? I figure I'd want barb 5 for extra attack. Considering warlock as a somewhat functional way to make a "caster" barb. Throw out something big at the start of combat and then rage

Problem being I wouldn't have the ASIs to spare in CHA so offensive spells would have shitty DC, and any concentration spells would end when rage starts. So I'd need stuff like mirror image or armor of agathys.
>>
>>77704637
Find me photos of evil pale-skinned Drow then.
>>
>>77704594
>>77704594
Lies, wish stress lasts until you finish a long rest... Also i have to say that your homebrew that makes enlarge an instakill is very unbalanced.... Are you sure you read the books...? I think you're not apt to be a dungeon master, big girl...
>>
>>77704699
'The stress of casting this spell to produce any effect other than duplicating another spell weakens you. After enduring that stress, each time you cast a spell until you finish a long rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level of that spell. This damage can't be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn't 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days. For each of those days that you spend resting and doing nothing more than light activity, your remaining recovery time decreases by 2 days. Finally, there is a 33 percent chance that you are unable to cast wish ever again if you suffer this stress.'

The damage is long rest. But losing wish is forever. And I never said anything about enlarge instantly killing anything.
>>
File: Irae_T_sarran.jpg (90 KB, 500x461)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>77704678
They are called Szarkai and are typically used to spy on non-drow elves.
In Eberron, like the pic you posted, the drow tend to dye their skin with ritualistic tattoos scarring them and making them lighter.
>>
>>77704754
Oh, Eberron, you mean the setting where Drow aren't inherently evil. The white Drow aren't inherently evil, yeah, I get it.
>>
>>77704726
The stress is specifically the damage and str drain, big girl.... It's why it's specified to be lost at a long rest.... Also I've already rolled for wish right before you... You did say enlarge kills, remember when you said i had to specify the effects must've been survivable...? Those were the effects of the enlarge/reduce spell, with only a change in duration...! You're not fit to dungeon master, big girl... Step down, let me handle the table... I'm already bored of this game... I won't hold grudges...
>>
File: drow2.png (400 KB, 563x420)
400 KB
400 KB PNG
>>77704767
>>
>>77704699
Your wording was the problem; if you had wished for the Enlarge/Reduce spell to be permanent instead of instantaneous there would have be no such problem. An instantaneous spell may cause a permanent effect, but as the name describes, the spell ends immediately. Animate Dead is insantaneous and permanent in that a zombie will remain a zombie unless killed or otherwise altered, but it will not be around to reanimate the zombie if it is killed. Similarly, an instantaneous enlarge/reduce safely doubles the size of the dragon, but it will not be around to keep it alive once the spell ends.
>>
>>77704794
>You did say enlarge kills
You realize there are other people that can post on this website?
And losing the wish spell is also considered wish stress, and what I meant with it being permanent. You also roll after the wish, not before, so roll again.
>>
>>77704837
I rolled after the wish, big girl, read the posts in order...
>>
>>77704806
I don't know dude I'm just jacking off to the idea of big dragons and you're asking me to write the plot. I already finished, thanks for the session!
>>
>>77704857
You don't roll a d100 for wish, that's not how you replicate a 33% chance. You roll a d6, 1-2 is listing wish, 3-4 and 5-6 are the other results. Try again.
>>
>>77704794
>Those were the effects of the enlarge/reduce spell, with only a change in duration
This was your problem; a spell cannot have a duration that is both permanent/until dispelled and instantaneous. A spell that is instantaneous can have a permanent effect (animate dead, which creates a skeleton that could theoretically live forever), and a permanent (or until dispelled) spell can have an instantaneous effect (continual flame immediately comes into being, but it only lasts until it is dispelled), but there is no spell that can be instantaneous and be active permanently. They had advantages and disadvantages, but if you wish for a literal contradiction the Wish granter will have to make a compromise or simpyl refuse.
>>
>>77704912
It is how you replicate a 33% chance.... What you're referring to is a 33.333333333 and so on chance..... American education.....
>>
>>77704837
>And losing the wish spell is also considered wish stress
It's actually not, considering the spell says "if you suffer this stress then there is a 33% chance you can't cast Wish again," so the inability to cast Wish isn't part of the stress but a consequence of it.
>>
>>77704932
I guess the correct wording would be instantaneous duration with permanent effect?
>>
>>77705073
I mean no, the correct wording is "instantaneous," and that guy is just being a faggot for saying that "well now all of a sudden this creature that already couldn't be as large as it is collapses under its own weight."
>>
>>77704977
Ah fair enough. Never saw this stress as being a limiting factor, so I always figured that losing wish was the real bummer.

>>77704970
Well I'll be damned.

>>77705073
An instantaneous effect doesn't have a duration, like a find familiar spell. So you wouldn't need to specify permanent at all.
>>
>>77705123
That's like casting animate dead in a furnace and then complaining that the skeleton died as soon as it was animated. The spell did its job, but after casting the spell won't reanimate the skeleton. The spell doubled the size of the dragon but won't keep it alive after it's done.
>>
Are there any go-to options for the discovery feature in the hermit background, or does it really just depend on the campaign?
>>
>>77705182
Nothing about being big kills it though. Square-cube doesn't exist in D&D. Your argument is like if I were to say "You cast Animate Dead. It brings the corpse back as a zombie. And now, since no magic is animating the zombie, it collapses into a corpse."
>>
>>77705221
Campaign dependant yes. Usually, backgrounds stop mattering very fast outside of maybe outlander.
>>
>>77705182
> the skeleton died
it was already undead
Casting animate dead and having the skeletons unlive at all breaks the laws of physics. Not to mention a Huge dragon not dying instantly
>>
>>77705268
Undead creatures can still die. That's why they are undead, and not dead- and also why they don't count as objects.
>>
>>77705253
>Square-cube doesn't exist in D&D.
>The target's size doubles in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by eight.
The spell literally references it.
>Your argument is like if I were to say "You cast Animate Dead. It brings the corpse back as a zombie. And now, since no magic is animating the zombie, it collapses into a corpse."
No, that would be if the Dragon immediately shrank back to its original size. The magic doubled the dragon's size, as specified. But other environmental conditions persist, like gravity or a furnace.
>>
>>77705268
I wish autism were terminal sometimes.
>>
>>77702012
>take alert feat
>auto win initiative
>kill her before she can take a turn
idk I feel like your dm may not understand how the game works
>>
>>77705305
It was an attempt to lighten the mood. I will be serious now.
>>
File: Secret Sex Skeleton.jpg (68 KB, 642x960)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>77705268
>Casting animate dead and having the skeletons unlive at all breaks the laws of physics.
Well most of the laws it breaks are metaphysical rather than physical...
>>
>>77705336
Good. Don't let me catch you having fun again in mister's house.
>>
>>77705309
>But other environmental conditions persist
There is no environmental condition which kills a dragon that is 100 feet long.
>>
>>77705356
That is a very presumptive statement to make in a game about killing dragons, sometimes with the environment but most of the time with violence.
>>
>>77705356
>There is no environmental condition which kills a dragon that is 100 feet long
What about teleporting a dragon to Negative Energy plane?
>>
>>77705356
does gravity count as an environmental condition
>>
>>77705402
Doesn't exist in this edition.
>>
>>77705446
Yes it does. DMG p43
>>
>>77705493
And the rules for any damage it does are...?
>>
>>77705404
I think Fall Damage caps at 20d6 so you literally can't kill an adult dragon with (just) gravity even if you roll max damage 20 times.

This is of course not counting things like the dragon dropping from orbit where any reasonable DM would just say "Yeah they're fucking dead"
>>
>>77705551
You can drop them over and over again
>>
>>77705523
nice moving the goal posts.
>>
>>77705594
Not moving them, bringing them back to where they were. How exactly does >>77705402 kill a dragon without any rules about damage done?
>>
I hope you faggots are ready for every single cancerous paladin/hexblade/sorcerer multiclass at your table to take the Dark Gift of Zantras the Kingmaker on every CHA based character they ever make.

>Zantras's gift is power that comes from great presence and force of personality. This dark gift increases the beneficiary's Charisma by 4, up to a maximum of 22.
>The beneficiary of this dark gift gains the following flaw: "I won't take no for an answer."

That's not a fucking flaw that's just HOW PLAYERS ALREADY ACT. Compared to the other gifts having temporary effects or being shit like "eat a pound of bones every day or die with no save" it's a fucking joke
>>
>>77705651
>"hey DM i tought about taking that dark gift"
>no
oh boy was that hard. Thats also the same reaction any dipper, hexblade or otherwise should get. Or most multiclasses.
>>
>>77705551
Well I think the 20d6 is primarily meant for explorers, who are small-medium creatures in a relatively small band of weight. A dragon arguably would have a significantly higher terminal velocity. Not usually a problem because dragons can fucking fly, but in the case of a dragon that has just been doubled across all dimensions...
>>
>>77705628
That's not what you asked and that's not what you did.
I would rule it as a con save or instadeath. No damage done.
>>
>>77705651
Where's this info from?
>>
>>77705706
The dark gifts are from Curse of Strahd but they're being added as a character option in the new Ravenloft book
>>
>>77705706
Wasn't it in the amber temple in STrahd?
>>
>>77705651
We are in a post-Tasha's world anon, everything is unbalanced and optional.
Thank the pathfinder devs they hired!
>>
>>77705651
>he allows multiclassing
ngmi
>>
>>77705738
>Thank the pathfinder devs they hired!
Ah, now I understand.
>>
>>77705695
>should get
But is not what happens in real games
>>
>>77705763
if it doesnt happen in your games thats entirely your fault
>>
>>77705738
most of the tasha's subclasses are worse than existing ones. Wildfire Druid isn't better than Shepherd. Soulknife isn't better than Arcane Trickster. The psychic fighter subclass is a joke compared to Battlemaster, almost strictly worse.
Way of Mercy is good but still ki starved and it's fucking Monk.
The new sorcerers getting expanded spell lists is the way all sorcs should have been from the start.
Twilight Cleric is stupid good but that's the biggest offender.

The critical role book with Mercer's broken Chronurgy wizard has wayyyyy worse offenders.
>>
>>77705786
That's a lot of cope and being wrong there anon, you should maybe slow down.
>>
>>77705745
Even with zero multiclassing that dark gift is retarded on any paladin or CHA class.
>play an Oath of Glory or Conquest paladin
>get +4 Cha for free with absolutely no change in how your character acts.
wow very cool
>>
>>77705786
>most of the tasha's subclasses are worse than existing ones
And ALL tasha's CLASSES are better than before.
>>
>>77705804
>I use buzzwords instead of arguments
at least you admit to being wrong
>>
>>77705804
SCAGtrips are to this day the biggest power creep inclusion the game has ever seen and they were not added in Tasha's. The race change shit is dumb but it's not any different than playing a Vuman and taking a half feat for +2/+1 and a feat at level 1
>>
File: dragonbornpecsandboobs.jpg (108 KB, 894x894)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
I just want vampirism as a prestige class since we're doing vampire module content. Imagine a vampire dragonborn.

Grrr.
>>
>>77705829
vampire is not a class. it'd be a template but 5e doesn't have templates, so you can use the Dhampir lineage or eat a dick.
>>
>>77705806
then just dont allow it in your games you dunce
>>
>>77705851
Beast barbarian exists. This is not 3.5, PCs and monsters are explicitly different in 5e, so I see no reason for PCs not to have as many rules for sucking blood as possible.
>>
>>77705871
>PCs and monsters are explicitly different in 5e
"Laughs in Volo's"
>>
>>77705871
if you want to play a vampire play Warlock, play as a Dhampir, and choose the Undead UA patron that's being reprinted in the new book. You can say your patron is the vampire who bit you, you get a bite attack that heals and deals damage based off your CON, you can walk horizontally on walls or upside down on ceilings with no issue, you don't need to eat, drink, or breathe, and your character Type changes to be both Humanoid and Undead

You're not going to get a free option to get 18 in STR DEX CON with no investment during character creation, which is what proper Vampires have.
>>
>>77705919
Yes? the rules for monstrous pcs make different characters than an actual NPC. Remember that anything not controlled by a pc is technically a monster, including humans.
>>
>>77705932
>You're not going to get a free option to get 18 in STR DEX CON with no investment during character creation, which is what proper Vampires have.
Then make a vampire prestige class that doesn't give that, duh.

Shifters are supposedly descendants from lycans, but they cna only wold out for a minute each nap and it just turns them into catgirls. Also no full beast shape.

Beast barbarians are supposedly lycans but they don't get immunity to nonsilver and the aforementioned stuff either.

5e makes sure that there's no need for PCs and monsters to correlate or make sense, so just throw that out of the window and make a vampire prestige class that gives a bite attack on BA and some shit and call it a day.
>>
>>77705919
There are statblocks for NPC Humans that function differently than PCs. No monster statblock has a Proficiency Bonus for example, just an arbitrary increase to certain modifiers that mirrors it.
>>
>>77706002
prestige classes were always cancer and will never return, accept it
>>
>>77706002
>beast barbarians are supposedly lycans
they are intentionally made to be as ambiguous as possible to fit whatever shapeshifter lore you want for your character. Only one of the listed Origins has anything to do with lycanthropy. You're not gonna get an entire Vampire themed subclass for the same reason, The Undead warlock serving a Vampire patron is the best you'll get.
>>
>>77705919
>>77706003
Sidekicks use the same mechanics as PCs including spellcasting and skill proficiencies, they even get Extra Attack with the same wording. They're sort of a special case.
>>
>>77706002
>descendants from lycans, but they cna only wold out for a minute each nap and it just turns them into catgirls. Also no full beast shape.
Yes because they're not lycans, they're their descendents. There's a reason you don't get to play a full werewolf just like that.
>>
>>77706058
They don't even have to be related to lycans.

>d4 Origin
>1 One of your parents is a lycanthrope, and you've inherited some of their curse.
>2 You are descended from an archdruid and inherited the ability to partially change shape.
>3 A fey spirit gifted you with the ability to adopt different bestial aspects.
>4 An ancient animal spirit dwells within you, allowing you to walk this path.
>>
>>77706002
>Beast barbarians are supposedly lycans
Straight up the false. The most it says is "One of your parents" was and you inherited "part" of their curse
>>
Can a level 11 bard have a healthy romantic relationship with a natural-born werewolf? Can she "fix" him without killing him?
>>
>>77706128
No, this is utterly unrealistic for a game of make believe.
>>
>>77706128
if getting your throat ripped out by a monster counts as healthy for you
>>
>>77706128
Remove Curse or Greater Restoration usually do the trick
>>
>>77706128
I don't know if she can fix him, but I just know that he can "fix" her.
>>
>>77706164
Natural born lycans can't be cured by anything, except for the obvious unrestricted wish.
>>
>>77706128
>Can she "fix" him without killing him
You didn't specify the pronouns of the bard and werewolf in question, so I don't know who would be doing what in this situation.
>>
>>77706220
This will be contentious, so I will let the first anon who answers set the genders of each.
>>
>>77706235
See I know what you were going for, but I ask because I instinctively thought the opposite.
>>
>>77706277
I knew the fact that you went straight for the ambiguity meant you were a hmofa anon
>>
>>77701133
Hate to come here asking this out of nowhere, but a player in my group suggested having some kind of split armour against physical/armour against magic system in my next campaign, and I could find nothing remotely like it online. Anyobody got tips?
>>
>>77706301
Saving thows against magic, AC against attacks, easy and already a thing. Fucking over martial characters by making them succeptible to firebolts will not help anybody
>>
>>77706301
Well I guess it would mostly be AC vs spell attack rolls as opposed to melee/ranged attack rolls, you could also make the more magic-defensive suits give a bonus to saving throws if you want.
>>
>>77706293
It's the only way to make furries not gay.
>>
File: 8727689254.png (1.42 MB, 708x1000)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>77706156
He's not a "monster"
>>
>>77706128
Werewolves are CR3 monsters, they have 58 hitpoints and two attacks for 1d8+2.
An eleventh level bard with 16 CON will have 91 health and access to 6th level spells. They can effortlessly dispatch the werewolf even if it loses control, I wouldn't think there's much problem

Natural born lycanthropes aren't cursed so they shouldn't have any angst to deal with. Depending on the bard's subclass they might be able to straight up dominate the werewolf physically

I think fucking a werewolf definitely qualifies as something a Valor bard would write a ballad about
>>
>>77706342
>>77706343
Okay, but what my player is saying -not me, by the way, I think the current AC system is pretty well balanced as is- is that he finds it "unbalanced" that a reasonably well built magic user can take hits almost as well as a martial class. So he would like to see magic users with high defence against magic attacks but poor defense against physicals, and vice versa for martials.
>>
What systems do you play when you aren't playing DND?

(not bait)
>>
>>77706301
Yeah it's called "Armor of X Resistance" bam fucking done
>>
THE DOCTOR IS IN
>>77706431
>>77706431
>>77706431
>>
>>77706422
Blades in the Dark is pretty fun. I want to get more into Vampire: the Masquerade.
>>
>>77706422
Shadow of the Demon Lord (as a DM, I pretty much only play 5e as a player)

I really want to try CP Red though, but I think anything more complex than 5e long-term would be unappealing to my group considering they still trip over and struggle with rules 3 years into play
>>
>>77706420
>So he would like to see magic users with high defence against magic
Casters have Absorb Elements and martials do not
I don't really see what he's talking about. HP matters a lot more than AC past a certain point and the only way to fix that is with stat investment or the Tough feat
>>
>>77706420
there's no way to do a system like that in D&D well, you need a different game. the only way to do it would be to make all spells use saving throws instead of spell attacks and give casters advantage on their rolls/maybe resistance to magical damage like Ancients paladin, and then limit caster AC by banning mage armor and forcing arcane spell failure.

But even then Paladins will still have better saves than everyone else while also having 20+ AC. So you'd need to somehow nerf martial saving throws as well. It's just not possible with how fifth edition works. Play a different game, D&D is not GURPS.
>>
>>77706422
Symbaroum
>>
>>77706470
Absorb Elements is the fucking NUT. It will be hard to go back to a martial after this.
>>
>>77706666
then just play eldritch knight
>>
>>77706425
>>77706470
>>77706514
Thank you all for your tips, I'm talking with him right now and I had to get it through to him that it's just not possible or at the very least practical.
>>
>>77701133
I want to lick those shaggy paws.
>>
>>77706301
go look at how 4e's saves were done, where you had a static number and the incoming attack rolled against it.

basically though it's just >>77706343

everything becomes a spell attack instead of a save.
Reflex Save is best of Int or Dex (i.e. reaction time)+10
Physical Save is Con/Str+10
Spiritual Save is Wis/Cha+10

Proficiency works adds
proficiency bonus. So 12+Stat to 16+Stat.
>>
>>77706666
>Absorb Elements is the fucking NUT.
Combined with Transmute Spell (most things resist their own damage, turning that fireball you ate into ice does some damage), sure. Otherwise it's just resistance to a draconic damage type for a turn.
>>
>>77706422
M&M and ruleslite homebrew stuff. at least once Ironsworn. pre-5e, pathfinder1e.
>>
>>77707866
>a Wizard with resilient Con for concentration has better saves than a fighter
gross.
>>
>>77707866
why not Int/Wis and Dex/Cha?
Beefy, Sagely, Cunning?
>>
>>77707978
what if instead of best of it was average?

Barbarians and strength fighters become king of physical save.
arcane trickster, Dex EKs, psi warriors, gun artificers, and bladesingers become king of reflexes.
and nobody is king of spirit except oldschool clerics that take charisma to preach better.

Ooh, you could even go granular amd make it so proficiency with a stats save only gives half proficiency bonus. so you'd need dex and int both otherwise it's just +3+average to reflex.
>>
>>77702012
For a supposed superb spell caster, your DM didn't think to give her counterspell?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.