[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hacktheplanet.jpg (2.5 MB, 3981x3085)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
..Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: ********
>>>Enter Passcode: *************
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to EmeraldGrid...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>77649922
>Forgeries_and_how_to_stop_them.knwsft
>Tenochtitlan_Sewers.map
>Stufer_Shack_Layout.png

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 573 (87% Positive)
*You have 1 new private message, titled 'Enlarge your kitchen today!'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Thundermen.trd...

>Watch your back
>Shoot straight
>Conserve ammo
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon
>>
Forgot the thread question, so:
What's the single worst character, either in mechanics or fluff, that you had at your table?
>>
I'm planning to run an SR5E one-shot in the near future, to try out the system. Since I'm new to it, I don't have a frame of reference for what makes a good PC or encounter.
For the purpose of this one-shot I'd like to have my players have runners that have some experience under their belts, which I imagine could be done by giving them more cash and karma on chargen. Examples or advice for making decent characters would be helpful to have to steer my players during chargen.
The party composition I expect is a street sam dual wielding big handguns, a shotgun totting combat medic, a rigger fond of quick-drawing, and a decker carrying an SMG. That being said, guidance for a mage would be good to cover my bases.
I'm not too sure how to make an encounter, would the Police Patrol from the core rulebook be a good template for something that isn't a pushover but not the main focus work? The job's objective is to destroy/kill a biotech power armor, how could I stat such a thing? I'm not sure if one of the splats has rules for critter creation that would work for that.
>>
Hi, /srg/. I'm >>77544396 from a few threads ago. I decided to come up with an outline for one-shot of my own and run it by you guys. Tell me if this in any way sounds interesting to you and what could be changed/improved.
>Gangers manage to steal a prototype anthrodrone from Corporation X. The anthrodrone is made to resemble a popular female trid star. A tracker embedded somewhere within the drone pinpoints its exact location to an abandoned office building, which the gangers are using as a hideout.
>The gangers plan on selling the drone to an underground adult trid/sim studio - the kind that specialize in the nastier, less mainstream pleasures.
>Corporation X tasks the runners with retrieving the anthrodrone, preferably intact, and to also teach the gangers a lesson about stealing from a corp. This must be done quickly, however, as the gangers plan on selling the drone by the end of the week.
>Why hire shadowrunners? The anthrodrone was developed by a particular division within Corporation X without authorization from the higher-ups. Thus, those responsible for the project can't simply send a corporate retrieval team to collect the drone without raising suspicion. Therefore, independent contractors are needed to recover the stolen item.
>>
>>77700914
Chick (played by an obese-sounding man, of course) with SURGE'd fox features and who also had a dick and would make sure people knew it. That was literally her most consistent character trait, bragging about her dick. I'm lucky it wasn't an in-person game, or I doubt I'dve been able to hide my disgust. Only reason I didn't nope the fuck out was because it was my first game ever and I hadn't learned my lesson yet.

Before anyone asks, I found the game on Reddit, not the chans.
>>
>>77703115

I'd add a step between getting the job and the tracker pinpointing the location. Maybe the signal is deliberately weak to avoid attention, or is tuned to a specific physical tracking device. Give your more social/investigator types to narrow down the location.

Also a big question, is this a straight up street gang? If so how did they get into a secure R&D facility to nab a prototype drone? If not, who are they/who are they working for? I mean if they jacked a truck that was trying to be covert shifting the thing then cool, that would be simpler.

It sounds like a nice simple run, with a few dangling threads (which if your one-shot turns into a campaign can be left hanging for your players), what's special about the drone? Is it a technique for copying existing-people that's new? Something about the frame itself? Is the fact that it looks like a trid-star important or was one of the techs just a fanboy? Will one of your runners turn out to be a fanboy and get upset about handing over his waifu?
>>
>>77702455
>runners that have some experience under their belts, which I imagine could be done by giving them more cash and karma on chargen
The default character creation IS someone who has experience under their belt. Starting characters in Shadowrun are very powerful, especially compared to the average opposition. Most Shadowrun teams could beat an equivalent number of most of the opposition statblocks (that aren't intended as "rocks fall, you die" at any rate) in pure white-room combat. You should be just fine with RAW chargen.

>Examples or advice for making decent characters would be helpful to have to steer my players during chargen.
Don't use the corebook example characters, they're bad and wrong. Shoot for at least 12-15 dice in your core schtick. Don't forget about bonuses from gear.

>guidance for a mage would be good to cover my bases.
Every mage should have Heal, Improved Invisibility, Trid Phantasm, Influence, and at least one Combat spell they can rely on. Beyond that, look at what you want the mage to be doing and pick spells that would help them do that.

>I'm not too sure how to make an encounter, would the Police Patrol from the core rulebook be a good template for something that isn't a pushover but not the main focus work?
The Police Patrol block is a good template for a police patrolman. If you want a good template for low-level corp security, then use the Corp Security block. This isn't D&D, and difficulty isn't determined by CR calculations. Don't create an adventure as a carefully built set of encounters; create a situation, and then see how players respond to it. If they steamroll over your Corp Security officers, then guess what, High-Threat-Response (Elite Corporate Security, the "rocks fall you die" guys) are on their way. They'll be here in X minutes/seconds/turns. If they're careful to go through it sneakily, and are able to take out the guards without triggering alarms? Then hey, they've earned their breathing room.
>>
>>77703747
>you should be fine with RAW chargen
>12-15 dice for their schtick
Thanks, that's pretty clear.
>Don't use the corebook example characters
Knowing those are poor examples is what made me ask in the first place, actually.
>corp security block
Alright. My worries were less "CR calculation", I've never played DnD, and more "I don't want to mow them down before I get to the good stuff". I was planning on glossing over the HTR for the one-shot.
What about statting the power armor? Does one of the splat touch on critter creation? Is there relevant stuff in Chrome Flesh (iirc it has bioware) if I should do it as an augmenteded individual instead?
>>
>>77704178
What do you want the power armor to do? If it's meant to act autonomously, then it'd probably be better to model it as a drone or a critter. If it's meant to have a guy wearing it, then put a guy inside it.
>>
>>77704390
It'd be a guy wearing it for increased strength and physical strength, perhaps some built in biotech weapons.
>>
>>77704608
Looks like you'll be after just a regular guy then, not some weird custom critter. That said, you could give the guy a weird critter power like Regeneration or Venom or something. Replace the MAG roll with some static value or something.
>>
>>77704919
Perfect, thanks. I'll check the critter powers section to see what I crib.
>>
>>77703651
>Maybe the signal is deliberately weak to avoid attention, or is tuned to a specific physical tracking device. Give your more social/investigator types to narrow down the location.
Good idea.
>Also a big question, is this a straight up street gang?
I called them "gangers" for short but they aren't a part of an established gang (no insignia, gang colours, etc.). A better descriptor would be "a small group of opportunistic street thugs". My idea was that they unknowingly jacked a truck belonging to Corporation X (which will probably end up being Horizon) that was transporting the anthrodrone, and, being a group of sleazy fucks, they knew exactly who they were going to sell it to.
>what's special about the drone?
It's a part of a "doppelganger project": take the personalities of A-list celebrities and stick them inside of anthrodrone replicas. If anything happens to those A-listers (or if they can't be bothered to make an appearance), the replicas take their place. The corp didn't green-light it because they were comfortable, if need be, with using body doubles/bunraku. However, the project lead became obsessed with perfecting the project and continued working on it in secret with his team (I can also say that he has a thing for the actress the anthrodrone is a copy of, like a sort of modern day Pygmalion).

One question: Can anthrodrones develop self-awareness? I was thinking that the drone could become self-aware during captivity and may not want to go back to the corp. It could be a good moral dilemma for the runners to debate over.
>>
>>77705859
>Can anthrodrones develop self-awareness?
Well, one of the AI qualities is explicitly "this AI used to be a drone's Pilot program". Presumably anthrodrone Pilot programs would be included in that.
In fact, I think I've seen a PC concept in this general that was essentially "NEET corp kid's sexbot gets reprogrammed to kill the kid, bot is driven to sentience by conflicting programming, now she's running the shadows to find out who's responsible for the death of her 'beloved husband'".
>>
>>77700914
This was in a living community. Minmaxxed melee mystic adept with bound spirits of man sustaining like 4 different attribute boosts, who took vendetta:mundanes. Devolved into pvp immediately, and I had to scrap the session ten minutes in because he started murdering the party face, the decker, the stealth rigger and Mr Johnson. Only Mr Johnson stood a chance at taking a 24 dice 17p dv -5ap claymore hit.
>>
>>77706412
Is there any reason why you couldn't have said "No fucking way." to that character concept?
>>
>>77706636
"ok roll soak -20"
"you get shot by the anti-retard sniper on-site with a model 122 anti-materiel rifle"
"he surprised you and bulls-eye bursted"
"ok now everyone else we can actually play"
>>
>>77706636
It was only after the session started that he started rolling a million dice to buff himself up as part of his "daily routine". Although I do admit fault about the quality, when I saw it I thought it was the prejudice quality, not a super cool way to totally have no control over pvping everyone at the start of the session.
>>
>>77706753
Having bound spirits sustaining spells was part of this dude's "daily routine"? Christ, that's a recipe for Astral Reputation if ever there was one.
>>
>>77706412
gigachad
>>
>>77706412
>Sustaining like 4 different attribute boosts
How does that work in 5e? In 4e sustaining is a service for every [FORCE] rounds, and they can only sustain up to their [FORCE]. This wouldn't work in 4e without burning through the services in 2 minutes, is 5e more lenient on spell sustaining?
>>
>>77706693
Acceptable ways to handle someone like that after the fact, but I'm more asking if the concept couldn't be rejected before it became a problem. Based on what >>77706753 says though, they probably didn't realize what they were in for.
>>
>>77707187
Both 4e and 5e allowed you to force a bound spirit into "Spell Binding", which lets them sustain a spell indefinitely at a cost of 1 permanent Force loss per day. Needless to say, spirits HATE people that do this. If That Guy's PC actually did this every day, within the first week he'd probably be unable to summon any spirits at all.
>>
>>77707281
Oh yeah, I know about Spell Binding. I suppose it is what a munchkin character would do. Doesn't even seem worth it desu, the binding material costs for spirits at a high enough force to sustain a high enough force spell to get effective bonuses from attribute increasing spells would be costly. You're not making that money back in one run.
>>
>>77707410
Well, IIRC there's no minimum Force requirement for spell binding. You can have a force 1 spirit sustain a force 12 spell. In fact, that's probably how That Guy did it; spend an hour binding a force-1 spirit in the morning, have it sustain the spell for the rest of the day. Still adds up to the same reagents, since binding materials are on a per-point-of-Force basis. But still. It'd absolutely ruin his astral rep, which makes me think the GM wasn't using those rules.
>>
>>77707490
Again, I assume it was 5e and maybe the rules are a little different but 4e specifically claims a spirit cannot sustain a spell higher in force to itself.

>Magical Services: The magical services available from a bound spirit are Aid Sorcery, Aid Study, Spell Sustaining, and Spell Binding.
>To perform a magical service that involves use of a Sorcery skill, the spirit’s Force must be equal to or greater than the Force of the spell to be affected by the service.
Spell Binding
>A spirit can maintain a spell for a number of days equal to its Force
>Spell Binding uses up all of a bound spirit’s
remaining services

Spell Binding has just never been economically viable by rules as written in my opinion. You want a high force spell to maximise your gains, assuming a human character that'll be force 9 spirit to get your attributes to 9. 4,500 nuyen per spirit, for 9 days of 4 attributes being boosted to max. You aren't earning 18k nuyen in 9 days, and it'll destroy your reputation.

Also like, Mana Barriers. A single mana barrier kills this entire scheme of his, good luck getting through the barrier with 4 spells on you pal.

Wish I could see this guy's sheet because I don't believe it could've been legal
>>
Do Trogs have 32 teeth or more?
>>
>>77708669
Pretty sure they have the normal number, yeah. Just two oversized ones.
>>
File: 54917165_p0_master1200.jpg (420 KB, 1139x1200)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>77703133
>That was literally her most consistent character trait, bragging about her dick.
Gross. Like, not even the foxgirl part, any character bragging about their genitals is pretty cringe-worthy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.