[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: durga.jpg (114 KB, 439x600)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
What kind of animals would you make sacred/symbolic beings to basic gods like sun, moon, death, harvest, sea?
Do any of the standard dnd gods have any?

Which of our animals would you "sanctify" to the four chaos gods? On what logic? Tzeentch seems to like birds.
>>
>>77695577
Well,? How know that Hera liked peacocks for some reason, and Poseidon made horses, so they were important to him.
>>
>>77696573
Yeah I think Zeus got Eagle and Bull, no idea why though.
(but no swan for some reason)
>>
>>77696573
Or wait, were you asking how we know that hera liked peacocks?
>>
File: moon.jpg (439 KB, 1920x1307)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
I really likes stags as forest-kings. I like the idea of sacred forest grooves, where an ageless, intelligent stag keeps the peace by killing any predator larger than a fox.

That's not what they do in real life of course. In real life they fight over pussy, and get their horns tangled together, and die. Stag horns don't exist to repel predators, they exist to reduce the deer population before winter hits, but the imagery is still good.
>>
>>77698158
Bears fit the theme a lot better in my opinion, they're actually physically capable of guarding things.
>>
>>77695577
I have a goddess of the sky who is depicted as woman with wings. People who worship her have several sects, one forbids eating of birds, one forbids eating of anything that flies, and the most extreme forbids both. Those animals are kinda sacred.
>>
>>77698401

I like bears, but they eat meat, and they don't have crowns. It's about the symbolism.
>>
File: gouhin.jpg (46 KB, 350x490)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>77698480
>they eat meat
>>
>>77698480
as far as I'm aware, the larger portion of bear's diet often ends up being things other than meat actually.
>>
>>77695577
>Sun
Lions
>Moon
Wolfs, Owls,Lynxes and Panthers
>Death
Ravens, Eagles, Coyotes, Vultures and Spiders
>Harvest
Bunnies, Bees and Stags
>Sea
Swordfish, Eels and Killer Whales
>>
>>77698878
Why are eagles on the death list?
>>
>>77698028
No, sorry. I didn’t notice that typo.
>>
>>77700808
Maybe because they’re successful predatory birds?
>>
>>77695577
>Sun
Roosters because they greet the Sun
>Moon
Wolves because they howl at the Moon
>Death
Vultures because they eat the Dead
>Harvest
Cats because they protect the harvest from mice
>Sea
Cephalopods because Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Also the Chaos Gods already have animals sanctified to them. Nurgle likes flies because plague, Khorne dogs because attack attack bite bite, Tzeentch likes ... vultures I think? They're the birds with long-ass necks. And Slaanesh likes horses, or at least weird alien ones with razor-sharp tongues.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.