[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chetakknights600.jpg (233 KB, 600x556)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
four knights variant edition

>Biggest sites for free online playing:
https://chess.com
https://lichess.org
https://chess24.com

>Free tactics trainers online:
https://chesstempo.com

>run out of free match analysis on chess.com
>download or ctrl+c the pgn for the match
>make a free account on
>tools - import game - paste/upload pgn - toggle analysis
>click on the "learn from your mistakes" button

>Explore openings:
https://lichess.org/analysis#explorer

>Starter books (Pdfs are easy to find online):
Soviet chess primer by Maizelis et al
Play Winning Chess by Yasser Seirawan
Chess Fundamentals by Capablanca
Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess by Patrick Wolff
Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev

>Archived threads:
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/%2Fchess%2F%20-%20Chess%20General%20/

>Where to find master games:
https://chessgames.com

>Join the lichess team:
https://lichess.org/team/vietnamese-basket-weaving-forum

Previous thread:
>>77648228
>>
File: 1233960611145.jpg (65 KB, 438x436)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>77678352
glhf anon
>>
>>77678114
These things need to be made like 2 times a day, they go by too fast from people asking for rating conversion between websites and other useless shit. Maybe we could pass off in /vg/ where threads have twice the limit
>>
File: dynboard.jpg (61 KB, 720x720)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Can anyone explain why Qc3 is garbage but Qd4 is the best move
>>
>>77678410
https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1105830/practice

The puzzle, if you want to try it out
>>
File: lichess.jpg (253 KB, 1440x2483)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
well?
>>
>>77678410
I think it's cause on d4 you can put the bishop on c3 to form a battery
>>
>>77678510
Oh, that makes sense
>>
>>77678500
En pissant?
>>
>play blitz as a warmup
>play like shit because I'm always worried about time even when I have ages
>blunder loads and then win on time
I'm not sure if this is even a good warmup but it is funny
>>
If Bobby Fisher is the best opening player of all time, and Magnus is the best endgame player of all time - who is the best midgame player of all time?
>>
>>77678696
Tal
>>
File: mlg.png (520 KB, 680x452)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>thought I was making improvements in my game
>get back rank mated
Back to the study board for me
>>
File: rating.png (4 KB, 308x106)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
update: must be at least 1500 before you stop being a shitter
>>
>>77679179
You wish. Non-shitter terretory starts on 2k.
>>
>>77679401
2.3k*
>>
>>77679179
1500 is prime shitter territory.
>>
Why is shitterposting so funny to me? I've always had a shitty sense of humour, but giggling at /chess/ autists trying to one up each other by saying "I'm x rating and still a shitter" is a new low for me.
>>
>>77679401
2k shitter reporting in
>>
>>77679426
>>77679641
Let me reqhrase, on 2k onwards you get the chance to encounter non-shitters. I guess you cleared the shitter terretory once you exclusively play against fags with titles
>>
>>77680003
>he thinks FMs and IMs are not shitters
>>
File: ivanchukbased.png (958 KB, 1072x1080)
958 KB
958 KB PNG
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

THERE WILL BE 2 TOURNAMENTS THIS WEEKEND. ONE IS A 5+3 AND THE OTHER IS A 30+0 EVENT. THE BLITZ ARENA WILL LAST FOR ONE HOUR AND IT WILL BE ON THIS SATURDAY AT 16:00 GMT. THE CLASSICAL COMPETITION IS SET TO BE 3 HOURS LONG AND IT IS SET TO START AT 16:00 GMT ON SUNDAY. THE NEXT EVENT(S) WILL BE NAMED AFTER THE WINNER(S) OF THESE ONES. IF THEY WANT TO, THEY CAN ALSO PICK THE NAMES THEMSELVES.

SINCE IT IS THE FIRST CLASSICAL TOURNAMENT FOR THE TEAM THE DETAILS ARE UP FOR DISCUSSION. YOU CAN GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS IN THE THREAD OR YOU CAN WRITE TO GetzImre ON LICHESS. THE FORMAT IS ARENA SO THAT PLAYERS CAN JOIN AND LEAVE AT ANY POINT. DUE TO THIS BEING A „MORE SERIOUS” COMPETITION, BERSERKING AND ARENA STREAKS HAVE BEEN DISABLED.

5+3: https://lichess.org/tournament/tJt5B67s
30+0: https://lichess.org/tournament/XGRBhRRb
Password: JeromeGambitOP

PLAYERS OF ALL SKILL LEVELS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN! MAY WE SEE SOME GREAT GAMES!
>>
>>77680063
>he thinks GMs are not shitters
>>
>>77680092
Chucky looking very dapper this week.
>>
>>77680143
Chucky is always looking dapper.
>>
>>77679631
Im a 1800 shitter who drew his last 3 king+queen who can't checkmate with a queen.
>>
>>77680629
Move the queen to your opponents king as if you had a knight and want to check. Repeat until the king is cornered enough and only then bring in your king for the mate. There, that's all you need to know.
>>
>>77680629
I also cant form a proper sentence
>>
>>77680731
Can I get the opponents king to the edge of the board without moving my king?
>>
File: viemkoa9iwi61 (1).jpg (83 KB, 745x760)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
As much as I love it I've come to think if ol' chessy isn't a bit of a problematic game in the current year... putting aside the whole thing being inevitably interpreted as being about a race war, why does black always go second? There have been studies showing that in top level play there is a first move advantage, even if not a massive one, so this seems to suggest there is something worse about playing, and therefore being black, than white. On the other side the queen, the only female coded piece is the most powerful one, and any piece can become a queen for all intents and purposes if they work hard enough, so it's a pretty inclusive game if all aspects are considered.
>>
@77680831
(You)
>>
>chess piece
>female
>>
>>77680831
>shogi and go let black go first
>it's considered a handicap for the weaker player, the stronger should play white
>>
>>77681003
Bigotry of low expectations. They think black needs a head start to be as good as white, when they are both just as valid.
>>
>>77680831
>On the other side the queen, the only female coded piece is the most powerful one
fun fact, originally the queen was a vizier (male) and only got retconned later.
>>
>>77680831
>any piece can become a queen
no
>>
>>77681563
>>any piece can become a queen
such a beautiful concept
>>
>>77678696
Bobby Fisher is only the best opening player of his time. Every modern super GM is better at the opening than him, simply because of modern training methods.
>>
>>77679179
>first game after 1400
>opponent manages to blunder a knight on move 5 to one of the most simple openings possible
lmao
>>
>>77680779
Yes but it's annoying and slower. Using king as bumper car to nudge other king around is best and also critical skill for the harder mates using minor pieces. King/queen mate should be the first one you learn after ladder mate.
>>
>>77680831
there's actual minority/women chess issues you can be solving with your time instead of wasting it shitposting on a weeaboo forum
>>
>>77681860
People occasionally blunder central pawns all the way up to 1800 in my experience. You play something slightly different, they respond, they hang e4 or d4 because they skipped the move that defends those. Moreso in bullet but i've even seen it in 10 minute rapid.
>>
Urusov gambit anon! I tried it. It's fun. Will use it more in future.
>>
File: kwen.jpg (80 KB, 833x833)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>when the hope chess actually works
>>
>>77678352
"why yes I do prefer d4"
>>
>>77678410
think about what happens next
Qc3 Bf8 - now what?
vs
Qd4 Bf8
Bc3 now he has to sacrifice pieces to try to prevent checkmate
>>
>>77680831
>something worse about playing, and therefore being black
just like real life
>>
What does /chess/ think about Jonathan Schrantz? He's not a titled player, but he has found a niche playing romantic chess and crazy gambits.
>>
>>77682413
Did he misclick?
>>
>>77682551
i don't think so. i think he just didn't see that after taking the pawn i could give up my rook for his queen
>>
>>77682413
I'm confused by both sides choices here.
>>
>>77682845
Oooooh, there was a pawn. Okay.
>>
IT'S OVER
https://lichess.org/@/DrNykterstein/tv
>>
I'm sorry guys, but what's the quick rundown on Chess.com vs. lichess?
>>
>>77683316
How is it over? Badnus is doing alright.
>>
>>77683394
one is free one is freemium
>>
File: file.png (45 KB, 790x435)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>77683394
One has everything free, other has some things free and else behind a subscription.
>>
>>77683394
one is made so that the creators make money, the other is normal
>>
>>77683465
>>77683459
>>77683453
ok thanks
>>
>>77683394
lichess is 99% of innovation and 100% of freedom in online chess The developers are the ones who develop stockfish, the engine that's used by the entire industry and everything they create is free and open source.
>>
>>77683394
>FIDE bows to Danny Rensch
>In contact with Bobby Fischer
>Possesses engine-like abilities
>Controls chess.com with an iron but fair fist
>Owns chess federations globally
>Direct descendant of the ancient chaturanga blood line
>Will bankroll the first chess clubs on Mars (the first chess club will have a $1000 entry fee)
>Owns 99% of neural network research facilities on Earth
>First true AI will in all likelihood be a neural copy of Danny Rensch
>Said to have 4000+ Elo, such rating on Earth has only existed deep in Tibetan monasteries & the Finegold mansion
>Ancient Indian scriptures tell of an angel who will descend upon Earth and will bring an era of paywalls and unprecedented scamming with him
>Owns microtransaction R&D labs around the world
>You're likely paying for chess.com engine analysis right now
>Danny Rensch in regular communication with Russian oligarchs, forwarding their word to FIDE
>Learned fluent Hindi in under a week
>Chess players entrust their money with Danny. There's no money in chess, only chess.com
>He is about 3 decades old, from the space-time reference point of the base human currently accepted by our society
>In reality, he is a timeless being existing in all points of time and space from 1. e4 to 4. Qxf7#. We don't know his ultimate plans yet. We hope he's a benevolent being
>>
Played my first ever QGA game and it was really fun
Actually looking forward to d4 opponents now
>>
File: benis.gif (102 KB, 720x720)
102 KB
102 KB GIF
Laughed my ass off

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Nc6 4. Nxc6 dxc6 { C42 Russian Game: Stafford Gambit } 5. d3 Bc5 6. Be2 h5 7. c3 Qd4 { Black resigns. } 1-0
>>
>>77684127
Stafford is the new scholar's mate.
>>
>>77683603
>The developers are the ones who develop stockfish
the teams work closely together and contribute to the other's project but they are different people.

lichess has a clear and defined focus which is to create the best possible website for chess, and they succeed at it. the disadvantage is that they can't spread their resources so they can't implement some things that chess.com does, like bughouse, organizing a shitload of events or having a team of developers and managers constantly working on the site. another advantage of chess.com is that they are focused on making money and therefore they have a shitload of money to invest in shilling their site everywhere
>>
>>77683459
chart neets to show three moves I think
often people do d4 Nf3 Bf4
or d4 Nf3 c4

it should basically be london setup vs queen's gambit
>>
>>77684594
I accidentally posted the image to be honest, but it's indeed meant to show the rise of london popularity.
>>
Magnus is getting adopted
>>
Does online rapid chess ever reach a point where "drawish" openings actually start drawing games?
>>
>>77685249
as soon as you posted that he won a game.
>>
>>77685280
nah, only actually high levels of play
>>
>>77685280
The caro has the same draw rate as the sicilian on lichess in over 2k rating rapid games lol
>>
What is a good ELO to shoot for before starting to learn strategies?
>>
>>77685671
1500, but if you drop below you have to unlearn everything, then relearn it after getting above 1500 again.
I've done this over 30 times now, it's like groundhog day.
>>
>>77685796
>but if you drop below you have to unlearn everything, then relearn it after getting above 1500 again
What do you mean?
>>
>>77685995
nothing, he has brain damage
>>
>>77685995
He's saying your question is retarded and you can learn strategy whenever you want.
>>
File: alekhine_quote.jpg (100 KB, 850x400)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
stop learning openings
play your own moves
>>
>>77686057
Just thought it would be fun to see how far I can get on my own
>>
>>77686172
i got 2100+ on chess.com 10 0 rapid without any 'strategies' and just relying on experience and principles
and a lot of tactics
>>
>>77684071
i am incapable of playing the qga since i hate pawns and pawn grubbing
honestly i dont have a real defense against d4, depends on the mood

hmm
>>
mouse slipped c4 instead of c3 in the spanish earlier baka
>>
>>77686163
Easy to say this in an era when they thought the sicilian was illegal witchcraft
>>
>>77687019
mouse slip the bishop to c4 bro
>>
>>77686163
that's why if Alekhine comes back from death he won't be able to win against most IMs today
>>
Does anyone else sometimes get locked in an improper mind state to play and no idea how to come out of it other than taking a break?

It's not the first time this happened for me, I just want to grind but somehow I'll get into a winning position every game and then randomly blunder it, then repeat and repeat and repeat every match.
>>
File: 1591949405993.png (800 KB, 783x783)
800 KB
800 KB PNG
I hate closed positions, what are the best openers to avoid them?
>>
>>77687504
e4 openings usually don't lead to closed positions. If your opponent pushes his pawns every time instead of taking, stop moving your pawns forward and move your pieces instead. You could also consider learning how to play closed positions.
>>
https://lichess.org/training/3bpoM
>>
>>77687504
Most closed positions don't stay closed if you play then properly
Like in the Caro black either plays a pawn break to attack the center or loses
>>
>>77687436
Yes. Lost 5 blitz games in a row today on time. The last one I was up a queen and a rook. I swear to God it times me out while I still have time on the clock. I had 5 seconds and moved instantly and I flagged.
>>
>>77687504
Vienna.
>>
Cock sucking chess.com. This is a rapid, two 1450's. The first 7 moves are all book moves, move 8 should be Qh4, which I have ALWAYS played. But the last time I was in this position, when I went over my game, chess.com told me Qd3 was the move, so I figured theory had changed since I learned this opening 24 years ago. Nope, Qh4 is the move. Chess.com's free analysis is garbage. This isn't the first time this has happened. And yes, I know I missed the Queen sac for mate in 2, which was the entire reason I played those moves, but somehow at the last second I miscalculated and doubted myself and didn't play it. It's been an off day.

https://lichess.org/HGkkhULM#0
>>
>>77688125
why would you play a move in the opening based solely on chess.com analysis without confirming with any other sources, though

I feel like this is on you buddy
>>
File: wormchess.png (875 KB, 1080x2100)
875 KB
875 KB PNG
Fuck I just got my ass kicked as black against d4. Best defense against it?
>>
>>77688372
All of the d4 defenses are good, you need to just work out which one you like the feel of and stick to it
>>
>>77688372
for me, it's the Queen's Indian / Nimzo Indian
>>
>>77688342
I know, you're right. But at the time, I didn't realize that their analysis was shit. That was a couple months ago, and I haven't reached this position since, so when I got to this position, my first thought was just, "Oh yeah, don't play Qh4, play Qd3 or Qe3." It still really sucks that their free analysis has this issue. Yesterday, it marked my move as excellent, but not best, even though my move was +1.7 and the "best" move was +1.4. That's just really silly and it's bad for new players.

I guess they gotta make that money though, even at the cost of hurting players. They could at least make it clear that their free engine only has a depth of like 3 or whatever it is.
>>
>>77688372
I play the KID against d4 and Sicilian Accelerated dragon against e4.
>>
File: 1614042270088.jpg (1.03 MB, 4032x2272)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Why is rook h1 not "mate in one move"?
Is it because it's check but not checkmate-because he can move his bishop up to h7?
(pic, pg96 bobby fischer teaches chess)
>>
What do you guys think of draughts ( international)
>>
>>77688882
Mate in one means you can checkmate immediately
If you don't deliver Checkmate with your move its not mate in one
Pretty obvious desu
>>
>>77688372
Queen's gambit accepted. Protec c5 with b4 and when it no longer can be protected b5 and a4 to gain space
>>
We should poll the thread on what openings everyone plays
>>
>>77688944
Kek at increasing the size instead of using all squares
>>
>>77678696
>If Bobby Fisher is the best opening player of all time
would be really hard to decide what player has had the best opening prep' and execution... probably kramnik, anand or carlsen because of their WC matches and highly-exclusive teams of seconds
>and Magnus is the best endgame player of all time
probably true and fairly agreed upon. smyslov was considered the greatest endgame player for a long time
>who is the best midgame player of all time?
most conventional and probably correct answer in >>77678730 but efim geller was another one; totally underrated genius chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1049762
bobby struggled with him too
>Classical games: Efim Geller beat Robert James Fischer 5 to 3, with 2 draws.
>>77681756
yeah that's not really accepting the premise of the question though
>>77682537
nice videos - that silly nakhmanson(?) gambit seems right up this general's alley
>>77687436
>Does anyone else sometimes get locked in an improper mind state to play and no idea how to come out of it other than taking a break?
happens to the best of us - it's called getting tilted and there's endless talk about it in the poker world. best thing to do is indeed take a break. and make sure that you're not playing lots of intense games while hungry or tired

psychology is such a massive part of chess and too often we discuss stuff that doesn't matter (like trying to meta-game your opponent or trick them with some trash line) as opposed to things that do matter (lack of sleep, depression, bad diet, lack of exercise).

there's a saying in chess that nobody has ever beaten a 100% healthy man, meaning that chess-players who lose always have some kind of meta-excuse. but i think it's just the opposite in most cases. seen GM's lose games after not sleeping or eating and they'll say "gosh why did i play so bad? how could i have missed that?" and it's like "dude - you need to sleep and eat"
>>
>>77689172
Kramnik argued that the reason that Fischer struggled with Geller is because of Geller's strength in the opening, not middlegame

>By the way, I must note that Geller had a substantial plus score against Fischer. And Geller was the master of openings who worked on his schemes very deeply, and it wasn't simple for Fischer to play against him.
>>
By the way, I would argue that Karpov deserves mention as a great middlegame player albeit in a very different way than someone like Tal
>>
>>77689172
Petrosian is an underrated middle game player. And I'd be really curious to see Morphy's endgames. Does he even have any? With his ability to calculate, you'd think he'd play the endgame perfectly, better than the opening or middle game anyway. But I've never seen a Morphy endgame where material was equal.
>>
>>77688944
isn't it solved already? it will gradually die out
>>
File: 1613690773365.jpg (6 KB, 487x423)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>open ruy lopez, dilworth variation
>>
File: 1261692.jpg (37 KB, 521x514)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>77679551
please stop making fun of me
>>
>>77689443
agreed
>>
>>77688882
>Is it because it's check but not checkmate-because he can move his bishop up to h7?
yes. If there wasn't a pawn on a7 you could use the check to create an opportunity to take the queen on b6. You still could do that but it would be a queen trade instead of winning the queen entirely.
>>
i just dont have what it takes lads
>>
damn jonathan schrantz wife is a sow
>>
>>77689026
and then ban all d4 players
>>
>>77689026
yeah do it
>>
>>77691738
what it takes to what? you wanna be a tournament player or something? anything below that is just shitter play for fun. learn the italian and use all the gambits that branch from it for guaranteed good times.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 750x218)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Same anon from the other day that was happy to finally reach the 900 bracket. I somehow became a decent player all of a sudden and I’ve pulled off some very high IQ plays. It’s a shame that I’m still blundering pieces and that’s why I lost 4 matches in a row today. But yeah going from 900 to 1000 is going to be far easier than going from 800 to 900 without a doubt.
>>
>>77693239
improvement happens in spurts. i started out at 1500 lichess blitz before rocketing to 1700, then stayed there for months until one week i went to 1900. stayed at 1850 for months until hitting my current 2000 plateau
>>
File: image.jpg (552 KB, 1024x733)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
>>77693318
It’s so interesting how things just suddenly click in your brain one day and you start playing better. This had already happened to me once when I was in the 400 bracket. The brain is a pretty based machine sometimes.
>>
Hello /tg/chess. I am a very new chess player. I have a question for you guys. What resources should I use to learn about an opening? I have been really enjoying playing the Scotch, and would like to memorize the best responses to various moves.
>>
>>77693463
i wouldnt bother memorizing moves just plans. if you want however theres a good spaced repetition trainer on chesstempo
>>
>>77693563
Okay, I will look into learning the plans for the scotch. Thank you for the response.
>>
>>77693463
go through a bunch of old tournament games using the scotch on chess.com/games. On the right there is option to search by opening. Click through and see the common responses to various moves in the variations. I like this better than both youtube video tutorial things or even books. I guess it depends how you learn. It's easier for me to just look at games without the side commentary.
>>
>>77693318
>i started out at 1500 lichess blitz
Only got to 1500 blitz after months of playing, feelsbadman.
>>
File: IyAX1cw.jpg (55 KB, 832x832)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>77678352
Beyond the beginner's guides, what would you recommend for more advanced players?
>>
>>77693890
Books.
>>
>>77693890
hyperbullet. no other gamemode will give you as much playing experience, or stimulate your brain nearly as much.
>>
>>77694220
Make 25 consecutive blunders and flag. Good fun.
>>
>>77693318
>i started out at 1500 lichess blitz
new to chess or new to lichess?
>>
Is pogchamps really so low-brow like GMs claim?
>>
>>77694823
Yes, but that's part of the fun. All the players are utter amateurs, and behave like your average twitch streamers.
>>
willingly going into the fried liver as black has brought about about some of the funnest games I've ever played. shit's crazy and complicated and precarious as hell. after ke6 if you know what to do there's no huge advantage white can force and more often than not I've found white to totally crack under the pressure to justify the sac. always love playing it.
>>
Do you put yourself at big disadvantage if you don't know textbook openings? I mean how far can you go by learning the game by playing it rather than reading books?
>>
>>77694902
knowing and understanding concepts > memorisation

seriously, if you know how the pieces move and you can anticipate what your opponent wants to threaten, you should find the best answer to that. Below 2000 most games spiral out of theory pretty fast anyway.

but books offer more than openings, keep that in mind.
>>
is there any shame in flagging an opponent when you're in a shit position?
>>
>>77695384
no, even happens to the best, see the end rounds of the Tata Steel. But you won't improve from that.
>>
>>77695384
the time control you choose to play with is part of the game. if losing on time seems shameful to you play correspondence
>>
>>77695384
You should've resigned to game the moment you ended up in a losing position to save face.
>>
>>77695384
Only if it's something stupid and obviously drawn like knight vs bishop or rook vs rook.
>>
>>77694902
If your opponent has learned the opening your playing and you haven't the first however many moves they've learnt put you in a situation where only you can go wrong.
They might not know how to punish you when you do but they won't be the first to fuck up.

Also more importantly people who learn openings know what their actual plans and goals are, if it goes "off book" they still have an idea of what they want to achieve.
If you're playing openings yourself with no outside help you might not actually know what your moves are supposed to be working towards.

Finally it doesn't have to be books but
>how far can you go by learning the game by playing it rather than reading books
is kind of a foolishness. You get better at chess by learning stuff and learning by experience is a) something everyone does and b) probably the most inefficient way of learning.
It's fine to just play if you just want to play and have fun but if you're bothered about getting better which the rest of your post seems to imply you should try and actually learn stuff.
>>
Newfag, I dun getit. How's this a good move, I'm just sacrificing my knight
>>
>>77696774
His queen is trapped and can't go anywhere. If he takes your knight, Bh4 pins the queen.
>>
>>77696774
Has to get the queen away from the pin threat so it's basically free
>>
Man I'm just blind today
Played two games and just made straight up hanging piece blunders
>>
>>77696774
A queen is certainly worth two minor pieces but would it be wise to trade three pieces for a queen. I know its situational but I mean in general.
>>
>>77697484
three pieces for a queen when you don't have a queen is bad

three pieces for a queen when you have a queen is good
>>
>>77693859
But everyone starts out at 1500 :^)
>>
noob question
in Ruy Lopez how can you prevent white from grabbing the e5 pawn and messing up your pawn structure?
Morphy's defense clearly doesn't defend you in any way from it, it just forces white to do it instantly
>>
>>77698067
just use opening explorers. If Bxc6 dxc6 Nxe5, Qe7 d4 f6 wins it back and gives an edge to black, at least according to stockfish.
>>
>>77698067
You play Qd4 if he takes your pawn. You can also play other variations of the Spanish. Look into the Steinitz and the Berlin for popular alternatives. I believe Bc5 and Nge7 are also moves.
>>
>>77698067
Nf6 and take their pawn first
>>
Does anyone actually play on chess24?
They seem to have a pretty big reach in terms of advertising but I've never seen anyone mention using the site either here or elsewhere
>>
>>77698067
if you mean after the exchange then Qd4 forks the pawn and knight
>>
>>77696851
update
had a break still playing like shit
>>
https://www.strawpoll.me/42687161
>>
File: lichess.jpg (137 KB, 600x600)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>77699184
>>
>>77699131
>>77696851
sometimes you just have a bad day
>>
I bet there are a ton of decently rated players who know all the traps but don't know basic triangulation/opposition rules.
>>
>>77688944
https://lidraughts.org/
dead gaem
>>
post books you're doing
i started doing volume 1 of this book
it's supposedly the 2000 elo section
i have trouble with some of the puzzles, very tough
i've solved 28/45 correctly thus far
>>
>>77700370
Probably since there's more popular youtube videos on "INCREDIBLE TRAP IN THE JEWSTEINGOLD GAMBIT" with basedboy-face thumbnails rather than on basic triangulation/opposition rules.
>>
>>77700370
desu they're not really wrong to

I think I've played maybe 5/400 games where the opposition mattered. You just don't see many even endgames.
>>
>>77699184
Lie but the German Lie. I don't know if there is a difference.
>>
>>77698703
I have a friend who's also into chess and we alternate paying for premium. So we end up getting like 2months/4€ or so. It's a spectacular price for the videos you can get there imo, and we just arrange to not pay when neither of us are up to using it. I just play in lichess and sometimes chess dot com though, so there's no reason to being up ch24, since it's just worth it for their teaching material. Maybe they've got good tactics or whatever though, haven't tried.
>>
File: file.png (13 KB, 292x285)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
How the hell did xQc's rating drop so much.
>>
File: HARMO-1-758x426.jpg (32 KB, 758x426)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
chess is about time, space and material
much like the physical universe
however chess has a goal and a clearly defined conflict while the universe doesn't have any plot or meaning to it
>>
>>77700370
That peaks out somewhere around 1200. Trappy players do need to learn fundamentals to get past that as there is a point where majority of opposition either knows the direct refutation of the traps or can defend them well enough to get in to a relatively even or winning end game. Some traps, like fried liver, have complete main line theory and at that point it's less a trap than just an opening. It was around 1200-1400 where i stopped getting opponents who would play a trap setup, fail, resign right away without bothering to continue.
>>
>>77694823
I love it, that's what brought me here right now. It's really funny watching these streamers get far, far better commentary than they deserve.
>>
File: M10.png (615 KB, 567x568)
615 KB
615 KB PNG
Mate in 10 I got in my most recent game
>>
>blunder a piece
>feel depressed, how the fuck am i so bad at this game
>opponent doesn't take it
>feel even more depressed, i'm at an elo where people don't even see free pieces hanging
>>
>>77703897
This is a familiar feel.
>>
>>77703215
The better question is how did it get so high in the first place.
>>
>>77704076
>>77704047
>>77703897
>>77703882
>>77703574
>>77703432
>>77703270
>>77703215

Play shogi
Way more fun and takes more skill
>>
>>77703897
>not forfeiting instantly as soon as you blunder
>>
>>77704105
fuck off back to onahole general weeb
>>
>>77704148
>onahole general
Where?
>>
>>77704172
/jp/
>>
>>77704185
Thanks bro
>>
>>77704148
>>77704148
>No argument
Imagine being this much of a retard.
Shogi requires infinitely more tactics fhan your memorized little game of Chess Being able to drop units you captured into the game alone changes the strategy of the game massively
Whereas chess relies on just muh opener muh counter and is so solved you'll never beat a computer at it
>>
File: discovery.jpg (94 KB, 839x837)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>only saw the discovered check after black played a move that stopped it
ree, at least i still won.
>>
>>77704228
You won't beat stockfish level 8 in shogi either
>>
File: file.png (195 KB, 480x360)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
>>77704228
>>
>>77704245
>at least i still won.
congrats anon!
>>
>>77704258
>>77704263
You cant beat level 2 lmao
>>
>>77704228
i realize shogi is the superior game but the problem is................. its japanese and i dont want to be associated with mentally ill weebs so i stick to chess.
>>
Shogi really could use a better design. When it's all just different Japanese characters how can you get a good picture in your head? I would find it hard to play if pawns were just 'p', bishops were 'b' etc...
>>
>>77704303
luckily for you it's mostly not weebs who play shogi. just japanese people and non-weeb westerners.
>>
File: stocky.png (88 KB, 1114x731)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>77704287
Your turn to beat level 3 in shogi
Since
>you'll never beat a computer in it
apparently doesn't apply to shogi it should be easy for you to play a step up
>>
>playing 10-minute rapid
>guy tries to set up scholars mate, block it easily
>guy starts taunting me in the chat to play faster
>i make a blunder after he moves his queen out and lose a rook
>keeps taunting me, "do you even know what you're doing"
>play on as he over extends his queen and i find a check
>take his hanging knight, find another check
>he's takes my bishop on my back rank but my king is safe now
>close on his king, pinning his rook, it's game over basically
>he does nothing for the next 8 minutes
>tell him to hurry up in the chat
>he has 1 minute left, tries to disconnect
>gets reconnected and i laugh at him in the chat
feels good man
>>
>>77704228
shogi is shit because it doesn't have endgames, it's just tactics
you can fuck off now
>>
File: dragon_horse.png (24 KB, 201x219)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>77704353
>>
>>77704372
how do you know that
>>
>>77704429
>he reads the chat
Ngmi
>>
>>77704478
i used to play shogi online.
>>
>>77704443
>durr endgames
this is code word for 'Chess is a solved game'
there is no emergent gameplay in Chess

It is all just Counters countering counters
Memorization not emergent strategy
>>
>>77704519
first time anyone said something to me in the chat, just happened to notice it
>>
>>77704446
this is actually a great way to do it, pictograms to make it alingual
>>
shogi is fun, chess is also fun. shogi is slow, chess is fast.

i play both, both are fun. fuck makruk
>>
>>77704228
I just want Shogi but with sculpted pieces, just characters on a tile leaves very little in presentation
>>
>>77687504
Chesslet here, couldn't the rook on the far right go the very upper right corner and kill that knight? The knight can't escape
>>
>>77704574
ok patzer go play your japanese bughouse instead of shitting up the thread ?
>>
>>77704647
I like you, whats your take on alternative chess pieces and how to implement them?
>>
>>77704670
the knight is protected by the bishop
>>
>>77704657
How do you represent promoted pieces if you can't just flip the piece over?
>>
>>77704670
The knight is protected.
>>
>>77704574
>t. shitter mad at his low elo
>>
>>77704825
>>77704689
>>77704657
t. plays a solved game and thinks hes cool for autistically memorizing patterns
you would get annihilated in shogi
>>
>>77703270
>t. jean paul sartre
>>
>>77704903
>insults a person stated to be open to the game if it was more presentable and accessible
no need to go Dumping on casuals
>>
>>77704691
I think adding alternative pieces is fun and spices the original game at hand, but to fully extract the strategic possibilities one would also have to change the starting formation, rules, and size of the board. the formation of chess and shogi prove this as each piece works well on their board and in their starting position. something like chess960 is fun but can lead to staring positions that might not work well with the pieces you have.

sorry am retard
>>
>>77704903
Post your lishogi account, retard.
>>
>>77705109
>>77705033
https://lishogi.org/@/mmemo
>>
>>77705036
so when implementing a chess board weith the addition of new pieces, which ones would have the most value and which ones would detract from the game by their presence

Options are limitless, Generals, Elephants, Unicorns, Dragons, Fortresses, Wolves/Hounds, Archers
>>
>>77701048
Also even if you get into a king and a pawn endgame, it is likely that even if you can't find the right moves, you may still win on time. Or lose, who cares. But nobody is going to say oh I see black king will get the opposition, it is a draw. It just never happens in online games.
>>
File: file.png (369 KB, 299x600)
369 KB
369 KB PNG
>it's a f*male commentator team again
>>
>>77705164
>1337 provisional correspondence
Shogibros we got too cocky...
>>
>>77705184
I think the older botez is alright but the younger one is just annoying
>>
>>77705228
>dude omg like dude oh totally dude
she is the proof that anyone can learn to play chess. and i thought it was a game for intellectuals.
>>
>>77679401
>terretory
>>
>>77698067
here's a little video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W72Vw-DxvA0&t=0s
>>
>>77705298
Unfortunate spelling mistake, but he's right.
>>
>>77705175
Now i don't know all of the names of the pieces so i'll paint my opinion in broad strokes. super powerful pieces are a no go (any variant that is just the queen with an extra move, or something like the lion) unless it has a counter measure (can be in rules, starting formation, or another piece). And pieces that are the equivalent of the pawn or lower are just bloat, only real purpose would be in fodder and we already use most pawns plus weaker bishops and knights for that. I find that piece like gold and silver general have great value and mix up the game.

Or variants of the knight would be fun
>>
>>77705278
Seriously. I saw a clip of her playing portal 2 and she was a complete retard. Hikaru is also a complete retard and can't even speak correctly, and when he did an IQ test on stream he got 102
>>
File: FloorGoban.jpg (599 KB, 1137x1101)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
is there an increasing community of American/European Go players? Are there some nice sites equivalent to Chess.com/lichess?
>>
>>77705475
I'd rather have a low IQ than low Elo. Unfortunately, I have both.
>>
>>77705482
LiGo my balls
>>
>>77705415
and when i really think about it, there is a wide divide between the major and minor piece in chess. More purely offense pieces like general would make chess fell more army -esque in my opinion. It would also add value to the bishop which really is stuck between major pieces and minor pieces.
>>
>>77705499
>Unfortunately, I have both
no you don't
>>
>>77705574
the beauty of chess imo is that you don't have to always value bishops over knights
>>
>>77705482
i think most people use https://online-go.com/

look up Michael Redmond's channel on youtube for great go games commentary and lessons
>>
>>77705602
The game's design is really impressive to be honest. Bishops and knights very similar in strength. What does the newest Stockfish value the bishop at now, 3.15 or something like that?
>>
>>77705602
i do think that is integral part of chess, but in my experience after i play shogi i come back to chess and realize that my work horses have a bit of a disconnect in power levels.

but it is fun to style on people with knights
>>
>>77705586
True, I don't even have an Elo. I just have a low IQ and low Glicko-2.
>>
why does chess.shit constantly reset my match settings - and at that after ONE game
if i dont want to play people 200 points below my rating i wont

that website runs like shit
>>
>>77705743
You can probably save your settings if you're a diamond member.
>>
>>77705727
i dont believe you have a low IQ.
most smart people underestimate their intelligence.
and most dumb people overestimate their intellignece.

so i think you're not stupid.
>>
File: 1607466999789.jpg (264 KB, 1280x720)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
I was winning a game until I started to run out of time and then made blunder after blunder until I timed out.
>>
>>77686536
>QGA
>pawn grubbing
You're not supposed to hang on to the black pawn on c4 after you capture. It's done it's job, let it go, and get back to developing. As Black, you will try to counter with ...c5 at some point, hoping trade your c-pawn for White's d-pawn. Also, with your pawn no longer on d5, you have an open long-diagonal now, and your light squared bishop won't be bad, and it might find a very useful place on b7.
>>
Polyvinyl chloride btfo.
>>
sorry shogibro i would like to learn it but i'd rather learn go, it's more different from chess and i don't have to bother learning all the symbols of all the shogi pieces and what they each do
>>
File: ScotchGame.jpg (100 KB, 500x500)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
What do anons think of the Scotch?
>>
>>77706292
i'd rather play the spanish
>>
>>77706292
throbbing
>>
>>77706292
you can play it from beginner to gm
probably the opening where i lose quickest as black, especially in blitz
in slower time controls i can handle it
im thinking of playing it as white instead of the Nc3 italian i'm doing right now

very strong
>>
>>77706612
just take the pawn and play queen to h5
>>
>>77705647
ok sounds epic
>>
Am I alone in this or does Andrea Botez have an extremely annoying voice?
It sounds like a fake grating cartoon voice, I can't stand it
>>
>>77706684
i'll try this
it is kind of a meme though
>>
>>77706842
>>77706684
though very many people don't play Nxd4 but Bc4 instead which is also very dangerous
>>
Think I just had my first ever case of an opponent getting to the endgame and then just playing engine's best moves for 15 moves straight
>>
>>77706819
just 20 posts ago I called her annoying lol
>>
rudolf is too cute bros i wanna kms
>>
>>77706819
she's smart! yeah she has that funny voice that breaks all the time, like she's hoarse from screaming at the club all night, it's annoying as fuck.
>>
>>77707056
She's boring as fuck, I can't even imagine how boring a conversation with her would be.
>>
>>77707141
depends
bet she could talk for hours about makeup, clothes and hair
>>
>>77707141
She's cute as fuck though
>>
Based kid poker

>>77707081
>that breaks all the time
yeah that's it, she sounds like either a teenager or your standard hoarse sorority girl who whores out every night
>>
>>77704353
look at this brainlet, still thinking of objects on a board, instead of pure abstract function...
>>
>>77704443
different aesthetics. I can appreciate the endgames of chess (and makruk, and shatranj), the mathematical purity of the endgames of Go, as well as the unmatched tension of the checkmate races of shogi.
>>
>>77704540
do it again! a new server opened up a few months ago: https://lishogi.org/
>>
>>77707310
Anna vs Andrea is cute tradwife vs degenerate modern western woman
>>
The girl sounds like a crackhead.
>>
>>77707462
And yet she is higher rated than you
>>
>>77707482
>its hard to be highly rated in chess
this is what memorization autists actually believe
>>
french chads where u @ ?

based Sardoche destroyed xQc
>>
File: piece-values.png (131 KB, 734x558)
131 KB
131 KB PNG
>>77705687
This is on that one Alphazero article about variants. Honestly love this kind of stuff, and how the value of pawns changes across variants.
>>
>>77705687
funny to think that it took seven hundred years of shatranj and medieval chess to figure that out, from around 800 AD to 1500 AD. Heck, we've had the retarded elephant and ferz moves for hundreds of years longer than the nicer bishop and queen moves!
>>
>>77707555
>memorization cope
The easiest way to spot a complete shitter.
>>
>>77707482
What does this have to do with my observation?
>>
Why does Negreanu look so beautiful? Looksmaxxing?
>>
>>77707625
>Why does Negreanu look so beautiful?
he does?
>>
>>77707625
Negreanu is the symbol of hope for all balding chinlets.
>>
>>77707602
>>77707602
>chess isn't memorization
you're either garbage or don't actually play. all good players memorize every opener and counter and endgame possible. you're obviously in the wrong hobby.

chess has never been hard. its just autistic
>>
Why not pawn to f5 here?
>>
>>77707656
He looks really great for an ugly person, if that makes sense? He looks good but you know that he's actually really ugly
>>
>>77707700
Instead of rook e8*
>>
>>77706819
Yeah her voice is unusual and she's kinda like a troublemaker, but on this stream she's very calm and it's very cute.
>>
>all beginners should play the french
>jon ludwig hammer
what a retard
>>
>>77707720
because exf5 Rxe1+ Rxe1 gxf5 Qg5+ is even more deadly
>>
>>77707692
>t. low elo retard
Memorizing shit is a barrier to entry into the "IM or better" club, but it's not enough to make you a good chess player. It's just a foundation upon which players fight over who has better strategical vision, calculation skills and endgame technique.
>>
Daniel looks 10 years younger now than he did 10 years ago
>>
>>77707791
He's right, the french is the most instructive opening.
>>
>>77707863
>calculation skills
not a thing
>strategical vision
not a thing
chess is a solved game. you will never beat the best AI at it.
>>
>>77687552
>e4 openings usually don't lead to closed positions
I've been playing the Italian game, any recommendation on a reply to gucci piano to avoid closed positions?
>>
>>77707974
No one thinks chess is a solved game, except a random shitter on 4chan
>>
File: joker.jpg (53 KB, 576x432)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>armageddon
>>
>>77707989
Are you asking for ideas for Black to open up the position in an Italian game, or are you asking for ways for White to prevent Black from closing the position?
>>
>>77708082
As white.
>>
>>77707974
>t.
>>
>>77708099
just play the scotch
>>
>>77708042
>no one thinks chess is a solved game
its been solved by AI... try and beat a good one and youll shit your pants.
played against a world championship computer and it humbled me
Realized Chess is just a series of counters you memorize
>>
>>77708099
Look up the evans gambit. It's sound, very aggressive and very pretty.
>>
please im begging you learn what solved game actually means
>>
>>77708132
they hated him because he was right
>>
>>77708152
and can be rejected to just enter an italian
>>
>>77708132
Just because AI plays better than humans doesn't mean the game is solved, retard
>>
>>77708099
Evans Gambit or playing an early d4 would probably work. Not sure your rating level or which variation you usually play, but both of those should be fine. Once you've played d4, try to keep the tension in the centre for as long as possible. Your e4 pawn prevents Black from pushing his e-pawn, so he can't close things down easily once you've gotten d4 in. Post a position where you'd be worried about Black closing things down and we can give you some suggestions.
>>
>>77708187
a solved game is when the optimal strategy to win has been calculated
computers have already done that... they know which moves will win as soon as you play yours and how to counter them.
>>
>>77678500
en pessant to open for bf2?
>>
>>77708211
I'd like to see you beat a world championship chess computer then, with or without pissing your pants when you lose

Played against one last march... realized how much of a farce 'strategy' is, you only really need a high IQ and good memorization skills and a place to practice what you memorized every day.
>>
Is this that Spanish girl that types in esl again
>>
>>77708187
Tic-Tac-Toe is a solved game, which means that the best move in each situation has been figured out. The same can not be said about chess
>>
>>77708220
>>77708257
You are still retarded. Yes computers are very good. No the game is not solved. Learn the difference
>>
>>77708288
>The same cannot be said about chess
But it can, played against a world championship chess computer.. It knew exaxtly what to do, when to do, to win
>>
>>77708313
Would love to see you try and play against a Computer chess championship winning machine and still try to say its not solved after it predicts every one of your moves ans you cry
>>
>>77708313
Define yorr wrong definition of "solved" then
>>
File: board (4).jpg (64 KB, 720x720)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
h6 or go for the bishop sacrifice?
>>
>>77708128
>>77708152
Will look them up, thanks for the recommendations.

>>77708213
>your rating level
1000 pleb on chess.com
>which variation you usually play
I try to play loli attack but I've been replying to gucci piano with d3. It's not a line I studied at all, I just do it because it seems an acceptable move that lets me develop bishop after, I guess it's part of why I keep getting these closed positions.
>>
>>77708325
It knows exactly what to do to win against YOU. The question is if God or someone with infinite intelligence would be able to beat it. If yes, then the game is not solved yet. If you play against a retard all the best moves are obvious. When Stockfish plays against AlphaZero they go into a deep dark forest where everything is much less obvious
>>
>>77708375
If you want something super simple, you can also just play the giuoco piano with c3 followed by d4. It can technically lead to drawish middlegames if your opponent plays all the best moves, but 1000s won't know the theory. It's not fancy, but at least it opens up the center early on.
>>
>>77708375
>I try to play loli attack
I have no idea what that is, but I'm guessing that it's some kind of dubious but aggressive series of moves similar to the Fried Liver

>but I've been replying to gucci piano with d3.
Try c3 and then d4, or try b4 (Evans Gambit).

You can also try the Spanish or Scotch instead. Both are fun and generally lead to open games.
>>
>>77708371
As I said in my earlier posts, if someone with infinite intelligence is able to beat you (ruling out white's advantage) then you haven't solved the game yet. You would win against God in Tic-Tac-toe if you got to start, therefore it's solved
>>
>>77707800
Black should capture twice on e1 then ?
1... f5
2.exf5 Rxe1
3.Rxe1 Rxe1
4.Qxe1
>>
>>77708577
you said f5 was instead of Rbe8, right?
>>
>>77708468
>>77708424
>>77708468

This is autistic on several levels and basically a concession.
You say that you need to be able to beat someone with infinite knowledge.

If you gave a computer infinite time to complete its turn it would solve chess. It is the 'god' player
>>
>>77708372
H6. Develop more stuff and castle. Too early for sacking bishops.
>>
>>77708463
>I have no idea what that is, but I'm guessing that it's some kind of dubious but aggressive series of moves similar to the Fried Liver
Sort of. Loli attack is:
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bc4 Nf6
4. Ng5 d5
5. exd5 Nxd5
6. d4 exd4
>>
>>77708981
Name a game in which computers aren't better than people.
>>
>>77709471
when i put stock fish on level 1
>>
>>77708981
it's the definition of the word you chose to keep using you mong
If you don't mean "this game has an exact sequence of moves that will always win" then stop calling it solved.
>>
>>77709408
Just looked it up. Seems like a very open position, but I can't imagine very many players allowing that if for no other reason than trying to avoid the Fried Liver. I'd recommend playing something else.
>>
>>77709518
Bet you can't beat Nelson.
>>
im the best here
>>
>>77709720
>three crowns
Dirty cheater.
>>
My current rating on chess.com is 445, been playing all day.
What number do I need to be able to beat my dad?
>>
>>77709899
it depends on whether your dad plays regularly. even sub 1000 shitters easily stomp people who just know the rules, but if he plays at all you'll need to get better.
>>
>>77709899
How good is your dad?
>>
>>77710031
>>77710041
Never met him
>>
>>77709899
I must say, it’s very fun being dumb and playing with other dumb people.
>>
>>77710250
Very well done, Pgrady29
>>
>>77710281
Told you I was dumb
>>
>>77708712
ah, right right right. I was trying to make both moves at once.
>>
>>77710328
Hide your opponent's name as well if you want to hide yours
>>
>>77710666
Rape me
>>
>>77710250
Too dumb to screenshot so gotta take pic of the screen instead.
>>
>>77710250
>>77710104
>>77710041
>>77709533
>>77709471

>>77709408
>>77709471

>Name a game in which computers aren't better than people

Computers haven't matched humans in shogi because shogi is a more complex, tactical game
>>
>>77711065
>Computers haven't matched humans in shogi because shogi is a more complex, tactical game
this isn't true, engines have been better than humans for a while.
>>
>>77711065
google Ponanza anon
and that's an old engine, they've gotten stronger since
>>
>>77709720

nice engine use bro
>>
>>77711065
I went on lishoji and there are barely any people there
so I tried playing the computer lvl 1 and I've beaten it at a blitz pacing (I suck at blitz).
I still can't differentiate the pieces from each others.
Like if the pieces where more than some lines on a sameshape tile I'll probably try it further

You should try crazyhouse, or bughouse
>>
>>77709312
But I want to mess up his pawn formation
>>
>>77711704
Pawn structures are overated for players of our level, even major flaws don't mean shit until you're very good at endgames.
>>
>>77708372
wtf just develop you tard
>>
Holy shit I should never play chess while drinking I am so bad
>>
NEW
>>77711933

NEW
>>77711933

NEW
>>77711933
>>
>>77707141
she is not boring she's lovely
>>
>>77707625
it's the neck pillow

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.