[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Punny Edition

>UA: Subclasses, Part 5
https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_102620_Subclasses05.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20%5Bmulti%5D/5th%20Edition%20%285e%29/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>76945805

Is there any D&D drinking game?
>>
>>76948643
Henceforth I shall roll combat rolls openly and not fudge. This I swear on the lives of my PCs
>>
File: w6h6w1a9bcx41.png (2.07 MB, 2032x2362)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
Which Barbarian subclass uses the least bonus actions? Asking for a Bugbear with PAM.
>>
Yeah pretty easy
drink 1 when you roll under the DC
drink 2 when you roll more than 5 under
empty your glass on a critfail
>>
>party has a harrowing battle with a sea dragon while on their ship, ultimately victorious but their entire ship was smashed (ballista completely destroyed, sails completed destroyed, helm completely destroyed, hull at 25% hp)
>they have some materials to repair it, chiefly a ton of silk that could stand in for sails, an abracadabrus, fabricate, and mending
>despite this, they're 80 miles from land, hundreds of miles from
>>
>>76948727
i'm retarded
>hundreds of miles from a city, and a thousand miles from their destination
how should i make the reconstitution of their ship feel difficult without making it boring bookkeeping? i'd really rather get on the the plot, but the state of their ship must be addressed
>>
>>76948727
Sounds fun. Think they'll manage ?
>>
>>76948742
ghost ship appears during the night maybe? something they could commandeer after exploring it and possibly clearing it of spooks
>>
>>76948727
Aventi, sea elves, see them stranded and arrest them or help them.
>>
>>76948727
An Awakened Whale appears and offers them a ride in his mouth, in return for some ridiculous favor
>>
>>76948709
This but also make up AC and damage on the spot
>>
File: 1607909576672.png (622 KB, 1000x563)
622 KB
622 KB PNG
>Brother's D&D group falls through
>Tell him he's more than welcome to join my Roll20 game
>He's excited to play
>Tell my group that in a few sessions my brother will be joining us once this arc finishes up
>One player gets extremely passive aggressive and pissy that I didn't discuss it with them first
>None of them have even met him before.
Was I in the wrong here? I told them at least two weeks in advance and its not like I'm not gonna let him play because you have your panties in a knot.
>>
>>76948711
Zealot. Just smack.
>>
>>76948979
No, you should be fine. Just-- tell your brother about the pissy player, and then tell the pissy player it's still open for discussion. Easy communication saves the day.
All you have to do is put your foot down and get your brother in the game then.
>>
>>76948979
>inviting a player none of your players have ever met to an ongoing campaign without asking the players
you were in the wrong, even if you are the dm
>>
Anybody checked out Arcadia by MCDM yet? It's their new digital magazine.
>>
>>76949000
No luck in the PDF thread, eh?
>>
>>76948643
>embed chain gone
>awful TQ
>awful picture
I hate this thread
>>
Is combat in 5e supposed to feel like rocket tag around level 5/6? I feel like we could steamroll most of the monsters my DM throws at us in terms of straightforward combat, but they usually have some encounter-ending special ability that will fuck us over completely if the wrong PC is asked to roll the wrong kind of save.
>>
I’m trying to make a settings based off the Kenshi games and have a decent outline I stole/borrowed
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pV26NVT4mpvNBUQo4SGMcrsZAfiYtO9xerwET1BDgoE/edit

Problem is finding rules that fit without me just being an asshole.
>>
How do I fudge my gf rolls irl bros?
>>
>>76949140
pay the gm
>>
>>76949145
What’s an adequate offering to god?
>>
>>76949052
No rocket tag doesn't usually happen until way later when fuckers can feeblemind and power word kill or whatever the fuck you call the Solar bow bullshit.
>>
>>76949010
Huh?
No I'm genuinely curious on people's opinions.
>>
You come across a group of kobolds, desperately trying to calm down a red dragon wyrmling who's being driven into a magical rage by some unknown, unstoppable force. The dragon will kill them all, since they can't keep it restrained forever with it raging. What do you do?
>>
>>76949192
Restrain the dragon, eat the kobolds.
>>
>>76949192
Kill all the kobolds and the dragon and take their loot
>>
>>76949192
Restrain the kobolds, eat the dragon.
>>
>>76949192
Kill dragon, restrain and rape kabolds, saving one to be my loving wife
>>
>>76948643
>DMing on Roll20 cause chinky flu
>players ask that i roll in secret because seeing the DM's rolls is "demoralising"
They're pretty much asking me to spontaneously crit, who am i to deny them
>>
>>76949383
Wow, that's actually pathetic on their part.
>>
>>76949192
Point and laugh at the kobold getting deathrolled by the dragon
>>
Bros... I love homebrew...
>>
>>76949473
Same. Shame homebrew is for fags.

Wanna kiss?
>>
File: Feanor sword.jpg (301 KB, 1122x742)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
I want to play this guy. Any advice?
>>
>>76949523
who's this guy and what does he do
elf battlemaster until proven otherwise
>>
>>76949523
You cannot possibly play such a gigachad
>>
>>76949523
Slay kin.
>>
>>76949523
>>76949533
>the weakest chin in the room
ngmi
>>
>>76949473
Me too! Its fun to make new content and see people enjoy it.
>>
>>76949551
Stay seething fingolfin
>>
>>76948979
I mean, you are teh DM but it's their game too. It should have been talked about.
>>
>>76949551
Teleri hands typed this post
>>
>>76949192
It isn't very big, they can hide it away in one of their warrens and collapse the tunnel behind them

Red dragons aren't good diggers even if a wyrmling is still very strong. We'd ask the Kobolds questions on how it happened and how they want to proceed.
>>
im using foundryvtt for the first time, is there a link to 5e spell and item compendiums somewhere without having to buy shit on beyond?
>>
>>76949662
the stats are in the books, anon
>>
>>76949662
Yes, its in the OP. 5e.tools
>>
>>76948643
What would you say is the most practical, optimized 4 man party composition?

Specifically I'm looking for a group that can reliably succeed on almost all skill checks and pack sufficient utility in the form of spells, class features, and magic items, to circumvent any non-combat situation they lack the skills for. They should also be able to consistently take on encounters of CR+3, while still having the longevity to power through multiple smaller encounters without reliable access to short or long rests.

Anything goes so long as it's
>first party, non-ua
>not infinitely repeatable, a la coffeelock
>point buy
>no race altering from Tasha's
>viable starting at level 1
>viable until at least level 10

So for I'm looking at bladedancer, ancients paladin, lore bard, and either some variety of cleric or warlock. Possibly multiclassing in 1 level of rogue to the bard, 2 levels of warlock to the wizard, 1 level of cleric to the wizard and going divination, or adding fighter 3 after paladin 7. Vhuman for spamming lucky was a thought, but I think having a half elf for elven accuracy on any warlock edges that out, same with an alternate teifling for early flight, and possibly a warforged for the utility.
>>
>>76949708
What's bladedancer? Pathfinder class?
>>
>>76948979
Typically you should ask people before you invite someone new into their circle. People like to feel that you are aware of and place value in their thoughts and opinions. It's not like you're a bad person for doing it, but in real life it's rarely better to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission.
>>
>>76949719
Sorry, bladesinger. I played back in 3e where there were half a dozen blade/sword/sing/dance/spell classes.
>>
>>76949708
Just play whats fun and creates an interesting story :)
>>
File: 20201112_022604.jpg (83 KB, 608x660)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>76949708
>>
File: latest-7.jpg (105 KB, 800x600)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
What do you think of campaigns (mostly) set in a single metropolis?
>>
>>76949769
>>76949787
Sometimes when you're forever gm, it's fun to mess around with the rules figure out what makes a party work.
>>
>>76949795
Eberron could easily handle this.

But hey, buddy.

Ravnica.
>>
Tips for making Homebrew spells? Thinking a Conjure Monster spell that is like Conjure Animals except monstrosities instead of beasts but I don't want it to be broken I just think summoning 4 cockatrice is cooler than summoning 4 wolves even if Pack tactics make the Wolves probably better, same goes for 2 Hippogriffs instead of 2 Dire Wolves or a Centaur instead of a Polar Bear. Might do that same kind of spell for undead if I play a Necromancer ever.
>>
>>76949473
>>
>>76949795
Fun as long as there is variance in the areas, nothing too crazy but it all shouldnt be the same stuff. Lower class areas, Upper class areas, Merchant blocks and gang no go zones stuff like that
>>
>>76949839
Bladesingers aren't elf only anymore, get this female restriction gay shit outa here.
>>
>>76949473
How to open up others to using Homebrew? Is there a place that showcases balanced and well made homebrew content with a website rating system or something?
>>
>>76949832
For that? How about don't.
A cockatrice as a summon is hideously broken. 4 of them is stupidly broken. With 1 surprise round that's basically 4 castings of stone to flesh.
>>
>>76949852
And Conjure Woodland Creatures can create a small army of TRexes, I do see your point though and would probably raise it to a 4th level spell instead to be in the same tier as woodland creatures spell slot wise.
>>
>>76949848
Yes its called the Unearthed Arcana Subreddit. High ratings don't mean its balanced, but its at the minimum it might be at least interesting.
>>
>>76949845
>Male Valkyries
Real tranny hours
>>
>>76949861
T-Rexes are fey?
>>
>>76949861
You don't actually choose the type of creature, you just choose the number and CR, the DM chooses the creature.
>>
>>76949848
>How to open up others to using Homebrew?
Also you can't really open up someone to using homebrew, you have to be polite and ask. At best you could have someone see another person play a homebrew and that could change their mind about it, but it could just be a forgone conclusion before it began. Not everyone wants to use non official stuff. Some people don't even like using UA (not the subreddit, the official Unearthed Arcana content) content just because its not published in a book. Hell some people hate multiclassing or any non PHB book too, so you can't really please everyone.
>>
>>76949871
You have not heard of the Pixie TRex trick? Each Pixie (1/4 CR each) has Polymorph as a 1/day innate spellcasting
>>76949880
Its commonly house ruled that the player can choose within reason since it saves time for the DM looking up a bunch of random beasts to fit each mold of CR, that said if something was too strong I would just choose not to summon it
>>
>>76949708
It's rather hard to beat the tried and true classic of Fighter, Rogue, Wizard and Cleric. Is there really a situation that no one there CAN'T do anything?
>>
>>76949895
>the Pixie TRex trick?
It only works if the Pixies know what a T-Rex is. Do pixies know what a Tyrannosaurus Rex is? Are those native to the Feywild?
>>
>>76949895
Whiteroom bullshit, not how Polymorph works.
>>
>>76949912
There are ways to teach them what a T rex is anyways, including showing them a painting and describing it or having one of your own party members polymorph into one, if that is somehow too outlandish they can just do giant apes instead which are in many cases better anyways
>>76949919
The CR rating is based on the targets level not the casters for Polymorph
>>
>>76949895
>Its commonly house ruled
Most tables I've been to are aware of the cheese and always so no to pixies. Always.
Besides saying "House rules are typically..." in response to someone pointing out how broken your idea is stupid.
>>
>>76949898
replace rogue or cleric with bard for efficiency and cha focus and because bard is basically better rogue
>>
>>76949919
>The transformation lasts for the duration, or until the target drops to 0 hit points or dies. The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a challenge rating). The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality.
I mean it does work if the pixies know what a T-Rex is and you're PCs are at least level 8. Just command them to polymorph you into T-Rexes.
>>
>>76949943
> a painting
And then the DM says no because it's not a real dinosaur?
>having one of your own party members polymorph into one
how has the party member seen one?
>Just do giant apes instead
How have you seen giant apes? How have the pixies?
>>
>>76949945
>Most tables I've been to are aware of the cheese and always so no to pixies. Always.
Yes, but that doesn't change my point? It is commonly house ruled the player can choose what is summoned, with restrictions such as no pixies because it isn't fun.
>your idea
its not even my idea im surprised people here have not heard of it
>>
>>76949950
>level = cr
did the people making this spell forget how D&D works?
>>
>>76949956
The summoning a cockatrice idea
>>
>>76949829
Isn't Ravnica more like an entire planet that's been turned into a city?
>>
>>76949967
Yeah, all the wild parts are underground. They do exist.
>>
>>76949964
That was just an offhand example for the type of monster, if its too strong I wont summon it same with pixies.
>>76949955
Are we really going to argue about the plethora of ways you could see a TRex or a Giant Ape in a DnD Campaign? If you go that route and I even concede it you could still do something like Mammoths or Hulking Crabs
>>
>>76949958
No they just used level for the use of a single target spell so you can be a dinosaur for two turns until you lose concentration.
In Xanathar's they made mass polymorph which uses CR = half level.
>>
Just had a session where the cleric basically single-handedly won a tough encounter simply by keeping spirit guardians up. I felt utterly useless as a martial, but the other casters in the party also paled compared to the sheer damage this holy boi was doing.

It was my first experience with spirit guardians. Is it always this OP, or was this an exception due to the nature of the fight (loads of small minions zerging us)?
>>
>>76949958
DND designers are a special kind of retarded
>>
>>76949986
It's one of the few, consistent damage area effects, it also lets allies just STAND in it. It's one of the stronger spells.

Expect your GM to plan around it/counter it from now on though.
>>
>>76949867
Just call them a Viking or some shit we've already got Samurai
>>
>>76949898
While its good for nostalgia, or for introducing new players, I'd say it's very far from the optimization ceiling. Neither rogue, nor fighter have legs and taking more than a couple levels in those classes hurts. It doesn't help that, as >>76949947 said, bard can do what both cleric and rogue can at the same time without giving up too much. Also just taking wizard 20 really leaves a lot to be desired, spellsinger makes up for it, but warlock 2 gives it 4 eldritch blasts and 2 melee attacks per round when you have crossbow expert. That's a lot more milage than x/day spells and then cantrips with save for half.
>>
>>76949986
No, it's just absolute value compared to everything else at it's level. Insect plague can contend for damage and area denial, but it does friendly fire and doesn't come on for a while after.
>>
>>76949986
Spirit Guardians is very good assuming the DM isn't rolling very high against the Cleric who's probably just walking up to the frontlines and dodging
>>
File: H-Orc.png (293 KB, 384x536)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
Does Bear Totem Resistance to all but psychic damage live up to the hype?
Most encounters i have seen in my current game are piercing, slashing or bludgeoning
>>
>>76950123
It's strong but boring as fuck and loses value when you're not actually the one getting targeted.
>>
>>76950123
Last Barb I played was Ancestral Guardian. Really wished I had Lightning Resistance when we fought a bunch of cultists that had one Lightning Bolt each
Even Danger Sense will only save you from so much damage on dex saves
>>
>>76949950
But why the fuck would I want to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex when I can do more as a wizard?
>>
Do you have an Adventurer's Guild in your games?
Is that a bad idea?
>>
>>76950185
Yes! And yes!
>>
>>76949708
>the most practical, optimized 4 man party composition?
4 bards
you're getting the band back together
>>
>>76949980
I don't even know what a hulking crab is. You're literally pulling shit out of your ass now.
How many games do you actually fight dinosaurs, mammoths and giant apes? I've fought one in Tomb of Annihilation.
>>
>>76950185
No
Yes
>>
>>76950253
Hulking Crab is from Storm King's Thunder. Notable for having really high AC and multiattack with an automatic grapple on a hit
>>
>>76950182
You could be low on hp, you could need to deal damage instead of controlling the field, you could still concentrate on your magic while polymorphed too so you never know. Besides its not like they have to polymorph you.
>>
All this polymorph talk got me looking at beasts again
Man the AC they give some of these is all fucking over the place
>Rhino only has 11 AC
>>
Is artificer (battle smith) the best martial half-caster if you want impactful spells? Paladin only gets buffs and single target smites, ranger gets shitty AoE, and EK and AT don't get nearly enough slots and power to cast anything but small stuff like Shield. Artificer at least seems to get some cool AoE crowd control spells, on top of arcane utility spells and some buffs/heals as well.

Or should I just be a fag and go bladesinger or valour bard for my gishfag needs?
>>
>>76950350
>Killer whale has 3 int and no pack tactics
>>
File: 1601991244452.jpg (17 KB, 400x400)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Player at my table wants to be an unarmed character (very original, I know) but because this is going to be a campaign to really settle into and commit to the character I know for a fucking fact that mother fucker will be bored of his gimmick character and the Monk class by level 4. What is a way to make an unarmed character that also has more to it than being good at punching? Something so he can easily start using weapons and armour and such when the inevitable desire for chnage happens.
I should also add we don't do multiclassing at our table.
>>
>>76950561
unarmed fighting style from tashas
>>
>>76950561
What >>76950566 said, if i were you i would allow him to switch fighting style once he gets bored of his shitty meme gimmick and picks a real weapon
>>
>>76950578
>his shitty meme gimmick and picks a real weapon
Literally what difference does it make if he pretends to use his fists or a pretend sword? Monks dish out really good damage unarmed, and there is that new fighter subclass if he wants to take a two level dip for action surge and shit
>>
File: D&D 4E Rulez.gif (12 KB, 1135x128)
12 KB
12 KB GIF
>>76949708
One Controller, Defender, Leader and Striker.
>>
>>76948979
No you're not in the wrong, your passive aggressive player is an autistic retard with huge social anxiety issues.
>>
>>76950667
>Bu-bu.but monk bad! My vuman SS/CBE build does more damage, stop playing monk!!! You have fun wrong!!!
Listen >>76950561, monks are absolutely fine if your party actually plays a roleplaying game and not a series of whiteroom combat encounters. They loose steam at higher levels, but having extra attack from the start is pretty nice. Are they the best thing ever? No. Are they even in the upper half? Probably not. But this boards obsession with parroting the same opinion so they can feel like they belong is nothing but ridiculous.
Just elt him play a monk if he wants to
>>
>>76950358
If you don't mind multiclassing, you can't really go wrong with a sorcadin.
>>
>>76950833
Die
>>
>>76948979
>Hey guys, I feel like none of your opinions matter so I just made a descision for the group without even asking you. Y U MAD BRUH?!
>>
>>76950847
Can't hear you over my quickened booming blade.
>>
>>76950833
Any respectable DM should immediately smite you people with miniature meteroites killing you and only you
>>
Should I ban multiclassing in my games? On one hand it feels limiting to players and taking options away from people is (most of the time) a really bad thing. But on the other, I legitimately hate it both as a DM and even as a player and think 99% of people who use it are minmaxing autists who try to "win" at dnd.
>>
>>76950832
>>Bu-bu.but monk bad! My vuman SS/CBE build does more damage, stop playing monk!!! You have fun wrong!!!
b-but I was defending monks and saying they do good damage, did you reply to the wrong guy?
>>
>>76948643
Why DOES /5eg/ seethe so much about monks, anyway? I played one a year ago and it was ok.
>>
>>76951113
It's less seething and more realising unarmed battlemaster does the unarmed fistfighter thing miles bette
>>
>>76951139
This. The only thing monk has going for it compared to an unarmed battlemaster is mobility and better wisdom checks. It is worse in everything else.
>>
>they move fast
This is a big fucking deal. I shouldn't have to flesh this out, this is a major class boon.
>they have stunning strike
If you've not seen a player who literally just spams the fuck out of stunning strike on anything tougher than a base bitch orc, it's quite a sight. They are dominant particularly on encounters that have few enemies.
>they get easy access to a bonus attack, but are extremely MAD
I list these together because most martials pick up a feat of some kind to negate this. It's kind of a wash.
>they are a short rest class
This is kind of a disadvantage - short rests don't happen as much as they were "balanced" for by the developers.
>they have shitty defense
Their AC is "okay, I guess," but their HP is shit. I don't buy the shit about ducking in and out of combat, in spite of the fact that monks have good movement - someone has to get hit, and enemies will use ranged attacks if they aren't able to close to melee, most of the time. It costs ki to disengage while still actually doing stuff. If a DM wants to target the weakest link that's going to usually be in range, it's probably going to be the monk.
>most of the rest of their class features and abilities are mediocre at best
Big negative. Monks are really lacking in versatility. You can hit a guy, or you can hit a guy and stun them, or you can move really far and hit a guy and possibly stun him instead. Any subclass features you take to give you more options just makes you shittier than if you had taken open palm or whatever.
>they're hard to multiclass into or out of
Don't have much to say. Not explicitly a negative, but it's a sad state of affairs with anyone trying to customize with a dip somewhere.

My hot take: They're actually really strong in scenarios where they can shine - big battlefields with lots of room to maneuver, and lots of cover, with a small number of enemies they can isolate and disable. They kind of suck outside of that.
>>
>>76949000
I like the mounted combat one a lot, might actually use it soon. The rest is good but nothing mindblowing. Best thing about it is the art I think
>>
>>76951258
>They're actually really strong in scenarios where they can shine
Wow no fucking way, it's almost as if situational classes are good in certain situations
Here's another mind-blowing hot take: vanilla rangers are really strong in their favored terrain when fighting their favored enemy
>>
>>76950381
Killer whale is such bullshit.
>>
>>76951300
Just be a gloomstalker, idiot
>>
>>76951300
I'd take the position that fighting your favored enemy is more common than being in a combat with one or a few tougher enemies that are susceptible to stunning strike
>>
I don't know how many DM's do the one one encounter per day thing I hear /tg/ always talking about.
>>
>>76951402
We have single encounter days all the time. I think it's far more rare to encounter the fabled "6-8 encounters per day" model you see in the DMG
>>
Rather than full modules, are there good resources out there for single dungeons to insert in a campaign that would take a few sessions?
>>
>>76951471
Well 6-8 is not just combat but social encounters also.But i have never had nor known any table to have only one unless it's a boss fight.
>>
>>76951514
The literal text is
>Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day.
Pray tell, what is a "medium or hard" social encounter?
>>
>>76951554
Convincing the king to not kill you for fucking his daughter
>>
>>76951554
No, you don't get to just make shit up. "medium" and "hard" in this context have specific definitions provided by the DMG which relates to how much experience the combat is worth when compared to the level of the party.
>>
>>76951645
meant for
>>76951619
>>
>>76951645
It's a joke autist kun
>>
>>76951514
Social encounters dont drain resources. A party can handle 1000 social encounters per day with the only thing stopping them being that there are only so many hours in a day.
Including encounters that dont cost resources in the discussion about how many encounters your resources can last is disengenious and makes you look like a fool.
One encounter days are done by people that clearly dont want to play 5e but are too dumb to switch to a system that actually does what they want
>>
>>76951514
I think it's more common when you do political style campaigns, which is what our campaign is. We have tackled a couple of dungeons, which were closer to the "adventuring day" model, but still nowhere near 6-8 encounters.
>>
>1 deadly encounter
>short rest
>1 deadly encounter
>short rest
>1 deadly+1 encounter
>long rest
This is the way.
>>
>>76951113
Recently my character beheaded a Red Dragon with Vorpal Glaive. Do you hsve Vorpal Fists?
>>
>>76951113
>it was ok
Thats the point. Rangers and monks are just okay while classes like wizard or bard excel... at everything.

You can play a reflavored warlock as a far better ranger than it could ever hope to be.
>>
>>76951800
>vorpal
>glaive
homebrewed trash
>A creature is immune to this effect if it is immune to slashing damage, doesn't have or need a head, has legendary actions
>red dragons have legendary actions
Also your DM is a god damned illiterate
>>
File: UiBPfaw.gif (1.35 MB, 415x322)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB GIF
>>76951113
It's because they're whiteroomers who only care about muh DPR.
>>76951152
>mfw me and the fighter get hit with a fireball
>mfw I take no damage
>>
>>76951806
Can't wait for 2025 when /5eg/ finally catches up to everyone else and realizes Ranger's been good since Tasha
>>
>>76951258
I woke up wanting to discuss the Monk this morning, and seems like my wish is granted!

It's unfortunate that the MONK is very niche in what he can shine in, however, and that he's extremely MAD. Seems like the only type of monk one can create is a swift hitter by focusing SOLELY on DEX and WIS.

But, if you play within the Monk's niche, they might be pretty fun? Definitely play a VUMAN at 1st level to get the boon of a feat. Plus, there are other classes that exist now that boost a Monks fun/battle factor, like Astral Self if you want to go Jojo, Kensei for weapon master, Way of the living weapon for better overall punching, etc.

Personally, for flavor, I've had a monk thought up since Pathfinder that I'm planning on playing if my Rogue kicks the bucket.

>Vuman Monk
>Chef feat: +1 con, can make meals that heal people or snacks that give temp hp
>Abilities: 10, 16, 14, 8, 16, 10 (Friendly, fit, and wise, but doesn't burden his mind with unimportant things)
>Traveling Monk who feels the way to true enlightenment is through hearty and healthy food, searches for the best ingredients around the world to perfect his cooking skills.

Not sure what to do beyond that, I could go Kensei with my quarterstaff or spear, go astral body and summon punch ghosts, or I could go Way of the Living weapon and just beat the ever-loving shit out of things.

Anyone play these archetypes at all? I'm curious as to how good/busted they are...
>>
>>76951848
It's alright, even after the damage he's still going to survive longer than you.
>>
If I hombrew AS mods to be the same as 1st-2nd ed will the break the game? 20 will net you a +4
>>
>>76951857
We just need RPGbot to write a blog post and just like the monk-shitting the idiots in this threat will eat it up and mindlessly repeat the points becasue they dont have any games to actually make their own experiences
>>
>>76951859
I'm fairly unimpressed by feats for the monk. I think monk is one of the only martials who do not benefit from vuman like the others do. I'd take faster stat progression as they're so reliant on two stats. To that end, I still think the TCE mountain dwarf with 18 dex and wis at level 4 and warhammer proficiency is the best move.
>>
>>76951868
For what reason would you do this other than to blindly imitate other games?
>>
>>76951857
>thinking trashas was a good book
holy pozzed batman
>>
>>76951902
I mean, there are things to do outside of combat, hence the Cook feat, plus it boosts your con up to 14 which is good for HP. If your DM is good and you are smart, you can probably do well with a monk.
>>
>>76948643
>thread pic
Is it possible to move a thread to /trash/?
>>
So can I substitute my Wisdom Saves with Charisma saves? It feels weird not to, since Wisdom apparently deals with Willpower, and Charisma is the force of your personality, which is ALSO part of your willpower if you think about it...
>>
>>76951848
>tries to prove monks arent shit
>proves that monks are shit because they need defending
>>
>>76951859
>Kensai
Nothing good, all bad.
>astral body
same.
>living weapon
no idea, very little exposure to it.
I think long death and open palm are the best, although I may try Mercy next, since the poisoned condition is applied with no save and is actually quite strong against things that are susceptible to it, and Mercy has one of the only ways to increase damage over the baseline at low levels (hand of harming)
>>
>>76951966
No.
>>
File: 1598962879973.jpg (97 KB, 1000x750)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>tfw rangers btfo by a character background
>>
>>76951402
It happens all the time, in-universe it's hard to justify characters not wanting to go rest and sleep after a big bloody combat if they can afford to and from a metagame perspective why the fuck wouldn't you want your spells back?

If YOU just fought a dragon and nearly got cooked by it's fire breath why the fuck would you decide "ah yes I have only done one out of the recommended six to eight encounters per day, instead of visiting the whorehouse and taking a bath I'm going to go get covered in goblin shit until the sun goes down because I still have hit dice to spend on short rests"

Even the official modules don't follow 6-8 encounters per day, with how long combat usually ends up taking you end up doing literally fucking nothing else if you try and fit that much in every adventuring day
>>
>>76951966
Does that mean you´d rather use your Charisma score and proficiency if you need to roll a wisdom safe? Thats usually a no-go because on the surface it sounds like you just want to use the higher number to be better. Especially forcing others to make Charisma instead of wisdom safes would be very questionable.

The main problem is that charisma is a weak safe, If you get DEX and CHA safe proficiency, but your cha safes are actually WIS safes, then you effectively have DEX and WIS (and cha) safe proficiency, which means you have objectively better safes than anyone else, which isnt really the most balanced thing
>>
File: laughsinmonk.jpg (125 KB, 1242x1533)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>everyone agrees that ranged combat is better than melee
>everyone forgets that ranger and monk can pull out a bow at anytime
What now, STRcucks?
>>
>>76951966
Not in this edition. 4E had saves vs. Will that depended on better of your WIS/CHA modifier.
>>
Don’t care
Just be yourself
>>
>>76952029
The entire rest system is broken and needs a total overhaul. It just instantly breaks when players refuse to follow the metagame rules and decide to (ab)use it, and literally nothing but their conscience stops them from doing so.
>>
>>76952035
>>76952054
I mean what are Charisma saves good for then? When do they even come up?
>>
If you attack with dexterity you only add half your AS mod to damage but your crit range increases by 1
>>
>>76952029
Thats why you do dungeon crawls. Usually the dragon would be at the end of that, so you can sleep after beating it no problem.
Fact is the party is a nuch of adventurers. THey go on adventures. If the princess is about to be eaten by a dragon, you dont have time to take a little nap and warm your milk up because you stubbed your toe. You need to keep going, facing hardships and using your resources in a smart way.
If your character doesnt actually want to go into goblin caves and get into dangers than you dont have a DnD character. You have some boring baker that shouldjust bake bread off screen, while the interesting characters do interesting stuff at the table
>>
>>76952079
Time limit. If you go home and sleep then the cultists sacrifice the kidnapped people. Adventure failed, you loose.
>>
>>76952079
If rangers and monks are fine then the rest system is fine
Quit your bitching and join the soccer team
>>
File: 1609897282134.gif (893 KB, 200x166)
893 KB
893 KB GIF
>>76952082
I make my players roll charisma saves to determine if their PCs are embarrassed or ashamed by their embarrassing and shameful actions
>>
>>76952049
>optimized fighters use a hand crossbow
>monks are actually ass at ranged combat, even though they can do it
this leaves barbarians and paladins against rangers, I guess, since not only are they str locked, they also can't really do their thing if they're using ranged weapons. Barbarians have the advantage of actually being able to take a hit, or three, or ten. Paladins will still do more damage than you even if they don't attack for the whole first round of combat.
>>
>>76952049
Use a throwing weapon?
>>
>>76952091
not every campaign involves nothing but dungeon crawling and even the official modules that feature pure dungeon crawling do not have a permanent time pressure stopping people from resting when convenient
>>
>>76952082
It's an uncommon save, just like str and int. This was a conscious design choice.

They still come up in uncommon but important cases - for instance, banishment is resisted by charisma.
>>
>>76951841
>vorpal glaive
>homebrewed trash
its not RAW, but it doesnt seem unreasonable to me to just take the vorpal template and slap it on a glaive instead of one of the various flavors of sword. Its better than most of the normal options, but by the time youre giving out a vorpal weapon youre at the tier of play where game balance has already flown the coop anyway
>>
>>76952110
This entire autistic conversation relies on the fact that everyone is trying to get their DPS to the highest level regardless of what character they´re actually playing or whether they actually enjoy playing like this.
Just stop this whiterooming bullshit for once
>>
>>76952110
>monks are actually ass at ranged combat
>laughs in +4 dex
Oh don't worry DM, I'm still going to stun ya, I'm just taking my sweet time getting there.
>>
>>76952082
You always get one good safe, (dex,con,wis) and one bad safe that rarely comes up (str,int,cha).
Charisma safes are usually to resist banishment or ghosts trying to take over your body. Pretty rare, but thats by design
>>
Can I use the quickened spell metamagic on a spell cast from a scroll? It's confirmed that you can apply metamatics to spells from scrolls, but I'm not sure how this interacts with quickened. Casting a spell from a scroll uses the spell's normal action.
>>
>>76952186
>making what is essentially a mechanical argument that one class is better than another
>countering with a mechanical explanation that it's factually incorrect
>NOOO U CANT WHITEROOM STOOOP PLEASE NOOO AUTISM REEEEEEEE
you gonna cry?
>>
>>76952195
+4 dex, or +5 or whatever - doesn't mean shit. They're just throwing baseline attacks. Even a rogue can do better.
>>
Is Mobile worth it on melee Soulknife Rogue?
>>
>>76952258
Rogue can't attack twice though.
>>
>>76952235
As long as the spell in question takes one action to cast, I don't see why not
>>
File: 1608272677291.jpg (70 KB, 1024x903)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>ranger player isn't enjoying game; class feels weak
>other players tell him he's fine and to play his role its a team game
>i know the feel and sympathize with him
>slowly start to drip feed him power and items
>cool bow and daggers, mystical beast companion (even though he's not BM)
>he starts smiling and enjoying sessions more
>other players start bitching because he's doing better than them (bard, wizard, cleric, fighter)
>remind them its a team game and everyone should play their role
>continue session and ranger is trying his damnedest to hide a shit eating grin
i think they know by now but fuck em ranger guy is a bro
>>
>>76952299
At level 5, when monks can attack twice, rogues get 3d6 sneak attack which deals more damage than 1d8+mod at that level. Your subclass could further enhance that, for instance soul knife DOES get a bonus ranged attack and still gets their sneak attack.
>>
>>76949158
Be a pimp.
Share her with the GM for good rolls, loot and better plot-hooks. Slowly become the main character and assert your dominance over her. Begin to date the GM while your girlfriend serves you both.
>>
>>76952365
Based
>>
>>76952365
I would have never told him it's fine.

I would have tried to give him some friendly advice, like sticking his character's head in a bucket full of water and inhaling until he drowned to death so he can reroll into something he enjoys playing
>>
>>76952358
nice feet, Laura-chan!
>>
Does Marisha still ask how many attacks she can do in every single round of every single combat encounter?
>>
>>76952609
I don't remember if she ever did *that* specifically, but she certainly hasn't learned the rules, if that's what you meant.
>>
>>76951152
Untrue.
They more get attacks at an earlier level, they get more mitigation from evasion, eventually all saves trained and the ability to reroll all of them. I'd say fighter is mechanically better over all because of the versatility in the way you want to build him. Monk has that variety, but no where near the mechanically versatility, just utility. Wizard man can do everything. Fighter man can fight with everything. Monkman can fight with move and punch. It's just more limited.

In my games I removed the ruling on forcing the monk to use his action as an attack before using his bonus action punch, the free non-ki spending version. this way my Kensai monk can be so much more versatile. He can dodge with his action, and punch with his bonus to fight defensively. Or, can use his first attack in action to interact with a ships wheel, his second to push the man contesting control away, and his bonus action to smack the second man trying to stop him.
And maybe even stun them.

Of course the monk in my games is a badass samurai with ninja skills yearning to atone for his warmongering and genocidal ways.
You don't plays games, and have not seen a good or bad monk.
>>
File: tenor (6).gif (2.16 MB, 640x430)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB GIF
>>76952609
>Does Marisha still ask how many attacks she can do in every single round of every single combat encounter?
>>
>>76952660
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>76951471
I usually manage 2-4 encounters a day, mixture of social and combat.
But often there's one encounter WEEKS when the party is traveling but not exploring.
Or, there are the fabled 2 month days, where we playing weekly for two months with a few extra sessions to cover a single span of 25 hours.

That was 15 encounters.

My dungeons are alot more like the designed spaces, 5-8 BIG combat encounter, where the players have to figure out how to manage resources and take a rest within the context and confines of the dungeon, often giving the next fight a bit of time to prepare.

Good gaming is realizing that balance really happens at the table, particularly with 5e. It can't be max resource using all the time, and sometimes its gonna be worse. And, some games are made for/tonally fit certain kinda of balance (gritty games going for more encounters per rest).
>>
>>76952660
I tried really hard to give her the benefit of the doubt... but she's so fucking awful. Her characters, her choices, the cringe speeches she makes to try and edge out like Liam or Talespin, fuck
>>
Has anyone had experience running the gunslinger subclass?
>>
>>76952258
Kensai monks get bonuses to ranged dmg, as the resident 'weapon' monk.
Obv the others don't. Monk is punch man.
>>
Why doesn't Open Hand Monk get to use light armor? How can you be a Fist of the North Star knockoff if you can't wear your Mad Max leather armor with big 80s shoulderpads?
>>
>>76952049
The Monk sucks at ranged combat. The ranger is practically equivalent to the fighter until level 11 so I don't get the hate.
>>
>>76951848
Yeah he can just facetank it
>>
File: 1495723379791.png (113 KB, 225x339)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>76952655
>My modified monk is good
No shit
>>
>>76953165
>one class has higher AC and HP
>one class has higher mobilitity and defensive features
Game balance, amirite?
>>
>>76952786
Just play a battlemaster with guns. Most trick shots are just straight copies anyway
>>
>>76951848
Dex based battlemasters have the same dex save you do, and can do everything better than you from range. No evasion but always having more AC and always having more hp makes him tankier too.
Strength battlemasters also eclipse your damage output, which isn't a "muh whiteroom argument", it's a legitimate concern.

>>76951113
They really aren't okay. It's the only martial class to not get any better at all in terms of damage from level 5 to level 20.
They get an extra 1 damage on average per attack every 6 or so levels from martial arts scaling, and that's it. They struggle at keeping up in damage with warlocks that just cast eldrich blast, especially from level 11 onwards, and they don't get any spells or useful control tools (Stunning strike sucks, hypnotic pattern disables opponents for one whole minute, doesn't target con, affects multiple targets, can be cast from range..)
>>
If monk's higher mobility doesn't matter in your games, your DM is going way too easy on you.
>>
>>76953303
Tah.
>>
>>76953310
>Stunning strike sucks
Sounds like you haven't seen the absolute seethe in a DM who gets told you want four con saves where one failure means the encounter is over
>>
>>76953310
Monks get better at control. You´re right, a fighter outdamages them, which I would hope since the whole identity of the fighter is being good at consistent damage. But the monk can run around the battlefield better, steal peoples reactions, weave in and out of reach, and stun people where its needed. Stunning strike sucks if you´re as smart as your avergge zombie and just run up tp the biggest thing to hit it. Your movement allows you to just run through enemies and stun the casters, which usually have good wis-saves but suck at con.
Obvioulsy a dedicated control wizard is better, but the wizard also doesnt get good movement, a worse hit die and worse AC.
And stop shitting on evasion, its fucking great. A fighter has 1HP per level less than the monk, acting like they´re a meatshield effordlessly facetanking fireballs is ridiculous.
Nobody is acting like they´re perfect, that feature where they can talk all languages is a joke and their high level feautures are generally not on par with others, but they are very clearly not this horrible thing everybody makes them out to be
>>
>>76953418
*1HP per level more
>>
>>76953338
It's a stun that lasts one round... If stunning a single target with a con save ends an encounter for you you're having ridiculously easy encounters, or your DM is unaccustomed to casters even existing.
A 1st level Tasha's hideous laughter is a better stun, because they need to waste their action standing up again and it targets a slightly weaker save. A single casting of web can outdo an entire day's worth of stunning strikes because it can hit multiple targets and trivialize real encounters.
Your save DC is usually lower too, because you can't afford to pump wis over dex, as your damage output is on thin ice already as it is.

As a level 5 monk you only have 5 Ki per short rest- if you use stunning strike lose out on Ki you could have used to flurry and your damage drops hard, and they'll probably make their save so you need to sink even more ki. If you flurry you use Ki you could have used to stunning strike, which isn't close to being as good as a spell anyway..
>>
>>76953489
>It's a stun that lasts one round...
Guess what the monk is doing next round?
>>
I think I've heard "their high level features are bad" about literally every single class
Is there any capstone that's considered good?
>>
>>76953310
>It's the only martial class to not get any better at all in terms of damage from level 5 to level 20.
Most of Monk's damaging abilities are in their subclasses not the core class
>>
File: 1590232719108.jpg (219 KB, 1075x791)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>76953062
>Monk sucks at ranged combat
How so?
>>
Opinions on Tavern Brawler Monk? Fuck RAW, I'm talking about making sense by giving monks specific benefits for taking the feat.

>Improvised Weapon Proficiency
Making them count as Monk weapons

>1d4 Unarmed Strike
Increase the damage scale of Monk unarmed strikes (1d4>1d6, 1d6>1d8, etc)z

>Striking with improvised weapon or unarmed allows you to grapple as a bonus action.
Allowing Dex or WIS to be used instead of STR on grapple based checks. Flavored that you're pinching pinpoint nerves or some shit to keep them grappled.
>>
>>76953551
Barbarian
Sorc's is a good feature but comes way too late
Druids
>>
>>76953489
A stun that lasts one round....
Target does literally 0....
Advantage on all attacks....
Fails dex and strength saves automatically...

A single casting of a spell that has a DC of 17 has less chance of success versus two stunning strikes with DC 13. Surely you can do the math to see how that ends up if you raise the number of strikes even further.
>>
Every streamed "live play" seems to completely disregard rules whenever it suits the plot. I wonder if that's just a streaming thing for the audience or some people actually play like this. I don't think my players would let me get away with arbitrarily giving advantage/disadvantage and modifiers whenever I need a roll to go a certain way for plot reasons.
>>
>>76951300
>vanilla rangers are really strong in their favored terrain when fighting their favored enemy
Bullshit. Favored enemy has literally no in combat mechanical benefit, and the only benefit being in your favored terrain would give you is not being surprised. Vanilla favored terrain and enemy are fucking ribbon features.
>>
>>76953418
>Your movement allows you to just run through enemies and stun the casters, which usually have good wis-saves but suck at con.
Casters aren't a very common enemy type, and there are still better disabling spells you can use to disable casters from a distance, without needing to run through enemies or all that crap. An archer fighter deals with casters better than you do too, because they tend to be squishy and arrows reach them even faster than the monk does.
Really, all you're telling me here is that not only is stunning strike bad, it's also very situational.

>Obvioulsy a dedicated control wizard is better, but the wizard also doesnt get good movement, a worse hit die and worse AC.
Every caster is better at control. Including ones that do at will damage like warlocks! And they have more flexibility too- they can select spells that are good against casters, or spells that are good against practically everything.
Wizards don't have good movement? Who even needs it when you can cast your spells at range, and you're fighting from a distance anyway.

>And stop shitting on evasion, its fucking great. A fighter has 1HP per level less than the monk, acting like they´re a meatshield effordlessly facetanking fireballs is ridiculous.
Evasion is fine. But it's really not enough. It's not just +1 hp per level, it's also having more Con because you aren't incredibly MAD. It's also having more AC because even when maxing dex and wis, the Monk has less AC than you for most of the campaign (and continues having less when you get to magical armor- medium armor + shield gets to 19 without, you need to have 20 dex and 18 wis to break even on a monk, that's level 12 at it's earliest). It's also having second wind, an extra 1d10+level heal on every short rest. It's also having a larger hit die, whenever you take a short rest.
Fighters have a lot more going for them when it comes to frontlining in general.
>>
>>76953653
depends on your group. Mine totally would
>>
>>76953653
Depends on what you mean, if it's something like "screw the rules, I can't let one of my players die" then it's shit. If it's something like "screw the rules, this would be fun and the player has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into it" then no problem. Anyway, if they really needed a roll to go a certain way then they shouldn't have a player make the roll at all.
>>
>>76953668
We both know the fighter isnt going to boost their CON, they´re going to take feats because thats the point of being a fighter. But as I said, fighters are better frontliners, thats their point. But thats not an argument, because fighters are also better frontliners than bards and we´re not acting like bards are bad. You need to look at all their abilites.
>An archer fighter deals with casters better than you do too
They dont, though. They can kill them faster, but they cant shut them down with one or two hits. So yeah, the fighter could attack the enemy caster and let the enemy frontliner go to town on his group, or he could actually be a good frontliner, which we both agree fighters are, and let the support monk run up to the wizard and stun them.
>Wizards don't have good movement? Who even needs it when you can cast your spells at range, and you're fighting from a distance anyway.
You´re right, wizards dont need great movement. But they could absolutely benefit from more AC, short rest ability recovery & more than one chance per round to actually do anything. If the monk doesnt get their stunning strike off that sucks, but they can try 2-3 times more. If the wizard cant get their thing off, thats a round wasted. But of course, a level 3 spell is better than a 1 Ki ability. I sure hope it is, because the wizard has far less of those than the monk has Ki.
>>
File: 1545346405703.png (191 KB, 483x461)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>Hate gnomes
>No other small races fit my class
Cruel fate
>>
A level 5 party needs to capture a Troll alive (so an alchemist can harvest its blood); how could they do this?

I'd like to make the task a little more interesting than 'pummel it down to zero and keep stabbing it until the alchemist arrives'. I'd also like to make use of the Loathsome Limbs rules, but none of the party currently has the means to do 15+ slashing damage outside of a crit.
>>
>>76953800
I think that sort of thing is acceptable from time to time, but I mean shit like blatantly giving someone disadvantage on a saving throw because the PC needs to get charmed for things to progress the way the DM imagined it. Or randomly giving someone advantage in combat even though they didn't do anything to earn it. I see shit like this constantly when I watch these streams.
I get that they have to be more concerned about pacing because they have an audience, but it makes it all seem a bit too contrived for me. I like how shit can sometimes just go wrong in games.
>>
>>76953904
Rope and chain, lots of it
>>
>>76953567
Name the subclasses with "damaging abilities" and the level they come online.
>>
>>76953922
Oh I absolutely agree then.
>>
>>76953520
Runs out of Ki?
>>76953635
>A single casting of a spell that has a DC of 17 has less chance of success versus two stunning strikes with DC 13. Surely you can do the math to see how that ends up if you raise the number of strikes even further.

And surely you realize that spells such as hypnotic pattern you get at the same level are AOE, and only require a single safe. If they fail that one, they are out of the rest of the fight, not for merely one round. Or even earlier with web.
Advantage on all attacks? Tasha's hideous laughter does it about as well, and upcast as a 2nd level spell you target two enemies anway. Automatically failing strength and dex saves? Not very useful if you're supposed to be the controller here- it's going to be a caster that would target those saves anyway.

Besides, two stunning strikes cost two Ki. You have 5 Ki at level 5, and you're still doing crap damage because you're a monk..

>>76953866
Not boost their Con, they can just start at a 16 unlike the monk who needs to start with 16 dex and 16 wis.
>They can kill them faster, but they cant shut them down with one or two hits.
They definitely can kill them with nova damage, in one or two turns, possibly before you even get to them.
> So yeah, the fighter could attack the enemy caster and let the enemy frontliner go to town on his group, or he could actually be a good frontliner, which we both agree fighters are,
Meanwhile, the monks get to be a useless fuck and go after a caster while running in the enemy formation with fuck all AC?
>and let the support monk run up to the wizard and stun them.
Yes, you are worse than the fighter if you do conventional things, but don't forget that the fighter still deals with the caster better.. Just have your "support archer" kill the caster dead.

>If the monk doesnt get their stunning strike off that sucks, but they can try 2-3 times more.
That's 3-4 Ki, they've run out. Now they can't stun or deal damage until we take a short rest.
>>
>>76952751
And Mercer married her, go figure.
>>
>>76954076
he's an insecure cuck who latched on to the first girl that gave him attention
>>
File: Marisha dice.webm (1.96 MB, 1280x720)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB WEBM
>>76954076
>>76952751
Yes, anons, but consider this.
>>
>>76953959
Off the top of my head literally all of them have damaging features past 5th level. Try reading.
>>
>>76954009
Hypnotic Pattern is strong but the incapacitated effect from that spell breaks after being hit once, stun does not
>>
>>76954187
Name them, please, I want to hear what you think a "damaging ability" is.
>>
>>76954287
https://5e.tools/classes.html#monk_phb,state:ishidefeatures=b1~sub-mercy-tce=b1~sub-shadow-phb=b1~sub-astral-self-tce=b1~sub-drunken-master-xge=b1~sub-four-elements-phb=b1~sub-kensei-xge=b1~sub-long-death-scag=b1~sub-open-hand-phb=b1~sub-sun-soul-xge=b1
Knock yourself out
>>
>>76953866
>You´re right, wizards dont need great movement. But they could absolutely benefit from more AC, short rest ability recovery & more than one chance per round to actually do anything
They have better burst AC than the monk for most of the campaign just by casting the shield spell, and don't run into the enemy formation like complete retards to "stunning strike the enemy caster".
And what does he do if there are no casters?

>But of course, a level 3 spell is better than a 1 Ki ability. I sure hope it is, because the wizard has far less of those than the monk has Ki.
It's exponentially better. 2nd level spells are better, 1st level spells do the same thing more efficienty. Four 1st level slots, Tasha can last for more than one turn, better than a single stunning strike. Casters have far more resources for control and better control tools. If needed they can do more damage as well, flaming sphere + cantrips or animate objects or any summons (which double as better control tools to boot).
>>
File: 1608936318992.jpg (291 KB, 670x900)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
Is any ranger worth playing now over paladin or druid if I want to be nature or gish guy?
Ranger is nature gish guy, but does it so much worse than paladin and doesn't do nature well.
XBE fighter, ranger and artificer all look like better archers. Does ranger fill any niche?
>>
>>76954497
The only thing Ranger does is bothering your DM by saying " i spend a minute to search for my preferred enemy within 5 miles" every second out of combat
>>
File: file.png (699 KB, 550x768)
699 KB
699 KB PNG
>>76954117
>>
Honestly, yeah. The new primeval awareness gives you utility spells that you wouldn't prepare on a druid but are very neat to have, so you do nature quite fine.
XBE Ranger and Fighter are equivalent in tier 1 and 2, with Fighter having a little bit more damage than you but none of the spells (which you have way more of because favored foe is a free resource).
>>
>>76951800
>Take Vorpal Weapon
>Remove the weapon portion
>Add to gloves that Monk can use to punch shit and get magical weapon properties as well
Why are RARfags so insanely inept at RPG's?
>>
>>76954340
Ok, I'll have to list them for you then.
Open Hand gets Quivering Palm at 17th level, ok ability but too late to be relevant.
Shadows gets Opportunist (basically a lite-Sentinel for what it's worth) at 17th level. Again, too late.
Long Death gets Touch of the Long Death at 17th level, weak and late again.
Sun Soul is a joke with a 2 Ki point cost Burning Hands at 6th, a 2d6(+2d6*Ki) save or nothing at 11th and some terrible damage as a reaction on 17th. All terrible ways to spend your Ki and Action.
Drunken Master gets very a situational attack redirection at 6th, and something that will never happen at 17th.
Kensei doesn't get the benefit of a 1d10 weapon over all the other monks anymore, 1 martial arts die of damage by spending a Ki point on 6th, and 11th level embarrassment which doesn't even work if you already have a magic weapon with a bonus to hit already and a single attack reroll on 17th.
Astral Self gets a 1d8 bonus damage each turn for a combat at 11th level if you spend a bonus action and 2 Ki on it, at 17th you get and additional Extra Attack in addition.

Just to recap: For the moment only Kensei gets a bonus to damage at a useful level and it's WORSE than just spending the same Ki on the 2nd level Monk feature Flurry of Blows.

Now, for the good news, Mercy actually does have a damage boost at 3rd level (and it's actually better than flurry) and also it scales well by becoming more powerful at 6th and 11th. There you go, 1 subclass has the damage increase you were talking about. One, not all and not even most.
>>
>>76949708
>What would you say is the most practical, optimized 4 man party composition?
4 clerics, maybe change one out for a wizard if you're feeling spicy.
>>
>>76952079
Then get rid of it, and only allow long rests, and players only heal damage per long rest equal to their CON modifier per hour slept, or some shit like that.
>>
File: Bugbear Spearhunter.jpg (61 KB, 804x708)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>76953904
Hire professional trollhunter.
>>
>>76954117
She's past that hump, and is officially dipping into Christmas cake tier.
>>
>>76954662
You missed that astral self gets to do an aoe around itself when it activates the arms at level 3. It isn't much but it's more than the others have. You also completely ignored 4 elements, but honestly that's probably for the best. It does get some ok damage but is horribly ki inefficient.
>>
>>76954777
>You missed that astral self gets to do an aoe around itself when it activates the arms at level 3
If you do it you have to give up the bonus action in combat, and it's probably costing you more damage to do that.
>It isn't much but it's more than the others have.
I disagree, the only thing it does is bait you into a wrong choice. You're not gaining damage most times if you do that instead of just attacking with your bonus action.
>You also completely ignored 4 elements
Yes.
>>
File: 1609871488708.png (111 KB, 680x728)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>76953893
Maybe it's time to evict these rentfree notions from your mind.
Be the change you want to see in the world
>>
>>76954828
If you're astral self you probably have higher Wis than Dex so you need to activate it to hit things anyway. The aoe does 2 martial arts dice worth of damage. Flurry does 2 martial arts dice worth of damage plus your Dex mod twice. Against 2 targets the aoe is likely to break even, and against more will do more than flurry.
>>
>>76954777
The aoe is less damage per Ki than even four elements does. It's not even save for half, and you're forced to spend ki for it to benefit from your subclass features.
I'd rather it cost no ki and do no AOE at all. Damage wise it's worse than a flurry, eventually worse than even your free bonus action attack.

>1 martial arts die of damage by spending a Ki point on 6th
To be fair, on ranged Kensei using this now allows you to make an extra weapon attack as a bonus action. Still sucks. If you fall into the wis over dex meme, your damage become lower than it would have been if you had no subclass at all.
Also, the additional extra attack costs you 5 ki to obtain and a bonus action. If you use it and don't flurry every turn, you do less damage and spend the same Ki as any other monk that just flurried 5 times. If you use it and flurry every turn, you only notice a damage increase on turn 3, because you lose out on a bonus action attack when you actiate this costly feature in the first place, and spent a trillion Ki to do so.

Kensei and mercy monks are the only ones I consider having any damage features at all, and I suppose astral has one extra martial arts dice per turn at 11..? Which is too late, and considering the subclass doesn't give you anything else of value I can't really say it's close to worth it.
>>
>>76949708
Three clerics of diffrent domains and one paladin of any order that isn't devotion, redemption, watcher, or glory.
>>
>>76954921
Please for the love of god don't do this. If you use wis over dex, you can't use a longsword or quarterstaff, meaning you do less damage than other monks. Your blast does shit damage anyway (5 to 7 save or nothing), against two targets you don't break even with a flurry. Against more than two targets, you would at the cost of spreading damage instead of focusing down a single enemy.. and because you're forced into using this for every encounter or suffer having less dex than you normally would because you fell for the meme, you're going to have a bad time doing less with the blast than other monks do without subclass.
>>
>>76955021
"Even with a flurry" was supposed to be you don't break even with a flurry of a monk that just took dex instead.
>>
File: harper pin.jpg (41 KB, 400x400)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I'll ask here too:
Why do people hate Harpers so much? They're the good guys.
>>
>>76955050
Khalid and Jaheira
>>
>>76955050
They literally hold back sentient progress.
>>
>>76954921
>If you're astral self you probably have higher Wis than Dex so you need to activate it to hit things anyway.
If you favor WIS over DEX you lose damage no matter what because you're giving up monk weapon attacks (read: 1d10 from Dedicated Weapon).
>The aoe does 2 martial arts dice worth of damage.
Also does nothing on a successful save and it's very comparable to Ki-free bonus action attack thanks to Martial Arts in damage against a lone opponent.
>Against 2 targets the aoe is likely to break even, and against more will do more than flurry.
In the niche circumstance of fighting more than 2 enemies clumped up, then I agree you should gain damage over a non-Mercy Monk.

We could stretch the "damaging abilities" equipped subclasses to 2 even if I still believe that a niche ability like that still doesn't count, it still makes them the exception not the rule.
>>
File: Dh_s8MFWsAY5qa0.png (649 KB, 900x850)
649 KB
649 KB PNG
>>76954913
>Response has nothing to do with an hour old post
Is this what it's like for an actual schizo to reply?
>>
>>76955065
I heard that said but never any actual examples.
>>
>>76955050
People feel emotions towards FR factions?
>>
>>76955084
All the evidence has been deleted from the internet by the Harpers
>>
>>76955050
Never really thought too bad of them. Jherek was a cool harper, so I don't mind.
>>
>>76955068
>We could stretch the "damaging abilities" equipped subclasses to 2 even if I still believe that a niche ability like that still doesn't count, it still makes them the exception not the rule.

Don't let him pull the wool over your eyes. A four elements monk using burning hands at level 3 does more damage per Ki than an astral monk does at level 5 with his feature, because burning hands has the decency of being save for half.
And burning hands sucks so bad at level 3 that even Four element monks refuse to take it.
>>
A fighter with CBE can still be a front liner type character since it removes the penalty for firing into melee right?
Could be fun waltzing up to enemies, doing a trip on the first attack via the maneuver, and then following up the attacks with advantage.
>>
>>76955154
Ranged attacks don't get advantage on prone characters.
>>
>>76955172
They do, any attacks within 5ft of a prone enemy gives you advantage. And because CBE removes the penalty for firing into melee, you don't have any disadvantage to cancel it out anymore.
>>
>>76955131
I know but even if it's terrible technically it's there, again I still believe that only 1 subclass has proper damage boost done in the right way at the level where it's needed.
I wish it was a widespread subclass feature, but it isn't and it's will never be enough to compete with a real martial in a game with feats.
>>
Would you allow the old warforged if the integrated protection is replaced with the ERLW one?
>>
>>76955068
Doing nothing on a successful save is a fair argument. If it were one attack I'd meme back that attacks don't do anything if you miss AC either, but flurry gets 2 attacks so it has a spectrum of full effect, half effect, and no effect, rather than a binary. I suppose the aoe has a range too so long as it's used against multiple targets, each of which could fail or succeed. None of this conversation has included that flurry can crit either though.
>>
>>76955252
Why would you want the old version? things only get better with updates.
>>
>>76955264
>None of this conversation has included that flurry can crit either though.
True, but it's almost meaningless in the great scheme of things. An extra 1d4 1 out of 20 times will not really tip the scales of the balance one way or the other.
Focusing on a better stat (DEX over WIS) will. That's the real argument to be made.
>>
>>76955291
A friend wants the option of unarmed strike/+5 speed/integrated tool with expertise.
It's just theory and he won't ever actually play a character.
>>
>>76953904
Have your monk bait the troll and then kite him all the way to the alchemist.
More blood, more money ggez
>>
>>76955252
The proficiency scaling one?
I'd probably make my own homebrew version tailored for the player's chosen class.
>>
Should gods that live on the material plane get lair actions and lair effects?
>>
>>76955432
Don't tell Ao they're doing that, that's illegal.
>>
>>76955432
If they're in their lair then sure.
>>
>>76955432
Obviously, how is this a question
>>
>>76955432
They're gods, they get whatever the fuck they want
>>
>>76955264
At level 5, 1d6+4 is 7.5 damage on average for no Ki, or 15 on average if you flurry for 1 ki.
The blast does 7 on average for 1 ki.
For a blast to do equal damage to a flurry of blows against AC 18 (45% hit chance, 5% crit), it'd need to do 15*0.45+22*0.05, or 7.85 damage on average.. Which is more damage than if you used it on a single target that always failed their saving throw! So that is demonstrably basically always better. So what if you hit two targets, for 14 on average? You'd need an enemy that fails their save 43.93% of the time. Assuming that this monk went wis and has a DC of 14, the enemies would have to have less than a +2 on their dex saves (around ~+1.5) if their AC is 18.
Mind you that 18 AC is the high end to be facing at level 5 usually, and that +2 or more on dex saves isn't uncommon at all.
If you focus on dex to do 2 to 4 more damage on average every round (quarterstaff or longsword), there isn't a practical way for this blast to come close to being effective- your damage will be less unless you invest more in dex always, and then our Wis save DC becomes a mere 13.
Not to mention, that this feature does not scale well at all. It's never EVER better than a flurry on a single target, needs very optimal circumastances to be better than it on 2, so you need to hit 3+ targets for it to be worthwhile.. but while you're doing more damage in a whiteroom scenario, in practice focus firing enemies down is much more effective because it ends up in the party taking less damage as things die faster.
>>
>>76952049
>forever living in fear that your DM might one day be so unfathomably based to start allowing the Paladin to Smite with Javalins
>>
>>76955193
Looked it up. Legit.
>>
>>76955491
>ruining the only proper gish by making their iconic melee ability usable at range
bad gm
>>
>>76955454
But... Auril...
>>
>>76955518
>The only proper gish
>What are hexblades
>>
>>76950983
Yes. Take a look back on all the /5eg/ threads and you'll see people only multiclass to min/max their anime character. They always start with their character multiclassed and never let their characters grow into unexpected classes and roles.
>>
>>76955549
> never let their characters grow into unexpected classes and roles.
If you want to allow for this, let players swap levels out and change their builds mid campaign. Otherwise it never works and gimps your character.
>>
>>76955533
>hexblade
>proper gish
Funny.
>>
>>76953573
They do okay and can kite better than anyone except maybe a Rogue but a lot of their features don't benefit ranged combat at all.
If you're just shooting until you can close the distance to the enemy then sure whatever but if you revolve your whole character around that you aren't gonna be getting much use out of Stunning Strike, Flurry of Blows, or any features attached to flurry
Kensei has Kensei Shot at least but that's not anything super game changing
>>
>>76949192
I use hold monster on the dragon and then proceed to masturbate the dragon with my mage hand until it has ejaculated itself into exhaustion level 5
>>
>>76955599
Roll animal handling
>>
>>76955581
They get to cast real spells instead of being an offbrand cleric.. Paladins don't do shit when it comes to casting magic. You could play a zealot barbarian and pretend you're casting smite and be the exact same "gish"..
>>
How's Arcadia?
>>
>>76950123
Non-Bear Barbarian in my current game.
He fears elemental damage. It is omnipresent, but not as big nukes. It comes out more like riders to other physical attacks or smaller hits that rarely exceed 20 damage.

Whether or not Bear resistance is worthwhile depends entirely on your DM. Published adventures do have a mix of damage coming out, but the elemental stuff is mostly going to be in the form of big spells. You may or may not be the target of those, but that also depends on how smart or murderous the DM is.
>>
File: Slowpoke.jpg (18 KB, 500x500)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>76955071
>implying there's a time limit on replies
>on /tg/
Nice buzzword kid.
Don't wear it out, now.
>>
How do I find the AC at which one of these options becomes better than the other?
>+d8 to hit
>adv to hit, +d8 on damage
>>
>>76949795
>>76949829

if we get another MTG setting I'd really like it to be Mirrodon into New Phyrexia
>>
>>76950832
He's only doing it for this reason. As a one shot I wouldn't care, but as a character in what is to be a significant campaign? Nah.
He has also tried to make a Luchador character and Borc Lesnar character in the past.
>>
Rolled 7 + 6 (1d20 + 6)

>>76955614
I have proficiency in animal handling
>>
>>76955681
You may have jerked off a few lizards in your time but you have no idea where a dragon's genitals are located. All you've managed to do is give it a belly rub.
>>
>>76948711
>>76948987
ancestral guardian doesn't use any bonus actions either, if you want more of a tank build
>>
>>76955669
The way I'd prefer them to do a MTG book would be a little bit from a lot of different planes rather than focusing on a single one like they have been.
>>
What are some cool equipment combos players can pull off? I've heard of Animate Objects + Caltrops but not much else.
>>
Rolled 6, 16, 10, 15, 8, 5 = 60 (6d20)

>>
>>76955623
lol like 5eg is going to know until it gets scanned, which will be slow going considering it's not allowed in the share threads
every other reply will be limp dicks seething at SJW boogeymen
>>
>>76955704
Damn, can I make an investigation check to find it's genitals on my next turn?
>>
I wanna preface this post by saying it isn't bait.
I've only played 3 official games/campaigns (also a couple of one-offs by an inexperienced DM, supposedly in 5e) of DnD in my life. The first one was 5e. The second one was 4e. The third (current) one is OpenQuest 2. All three of them last 2 semesters (uni DnD society).
If the three, I have to say I prefer 4e, though from a few comments I've seen in passing in different DnD thread (yes, I'm a tourist), it seems 4e is hated by a lot of people. Why is that?
>>
>>76955704
Do dragons have cloacas?
>>
>>76955650
It depends on how much to hit you currently have too. +d8 to hit is. Use Ludicsavant's DPR calculator.
>>
Rolled 7 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>76955737
If the wyrmling doesn't escape your spell then sure. Rolling wis save
>>
>>76955748
Combat system is trite (takes too long to do one combat + game tries to have "sparring partners"), tries to turn the game into a video game, lots of bloat and not very uniform in mechanics.
>>
File: 1608564633019.gif (686 KB, 500x350)
686 KB
686 KB GIF
Help me figure out this character pitch:
>Person I play with regularly brings me a character for an upcoming campaign
>It's an astral monk
>He says he wants to play it like a warlock, but doesn't want to go warlock because he doesn't want to deal with patron shit
>He wants to dip a caster for spells or get feats but isn't sure what spells he wants to go for yet
>Gives me a separate page with details about his astral self's backstory and personality
Is this allowable? Any red flags I'm not seeing? Can someone explain why someone would want to play warlock without dealing with the most interesting aspects of the warlock?
>>
Rolled 8 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

>>76955782
My dc is 16 so the wyrmling doesn't escape, rolling investigation
>>
>>76955748
After-the-fact justifications for developing a hate boner at the outset based on memes and misinterpretations.
>they got rid of underwater basketweaving as a skill, how am i supposed to roleplay now? just wants to be an mmo REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>76955748
It had a lot of sweeping changes that people had a kneejerk reaction to, lots of complains it was being made too videogamey
I wasn't playing much /tg/ stuff at the time so I don't have personal comment on it
>>
>>76949839

I'm not understanding Warrior of the hall

>you learn prayer of healing, a second-level spell
>you get three uses of this spell, one more use than a cleric of the same level
>they recharge on a short rest, unlike cleric who has a fixed amount second level spell slots per day
>the casting time is reduced from 10 minutes to 6 seconds

am I reading all this shit correctly?
>>
>>76955831
Yeah? Fuck clerics they're already overpowered
>>
>>76955715
That actually sounds cool but I'd cringe if they tried to attach the book to one of their favorite mary sue planeswalkers, following their travels

I think Mirrodin is different enough from any D&D setting to be cool
>>
>>76955861

That sounds busted as hell dude, I didn't bother to read anything else. Getting three 2nd level spells back on a short rest at 3rd level, and reducing their cast time from 10 minutes to 6 seconds is stupid as fuck.
>>
>>76955893
I actually agree that the setting book I want the most is Mirrodin. I just think a best of the multiverse kind of book would be better. I'd rather have a couple iconic monsters and artifacts each from a variety of planes than focus on one place. MTG's strength is that it has a bunch of settings to pull from.
>>
>>76955941
>>76955861
Prayer of Healing isn't a very good spell but making it castable as an Action and getting that many uses of it blows it straight past Healing Spirit territory
>>
Would I need to custom make some magical items in order to make it work or is there a way to make a "Martial Only" bbeg work?
>>
>>76956060
Legendary Actions/Resistances or some way to break out of save or suck spells
Extra movement or reach, lots of attacks
Not making him the only guy in the fight obviously
You're the DM, you get to cheat to make shit actually work, just do whatever
>>
>>76956060
I'd say give him some cool magic items but if you want to make it just an old man you can absolutely make it work by giving him special actions kind of like the battle master. Those+legendary actions would make it a fairly difficult fight.
>>
>>76956040
Exactly, compare it to the banneret's healing feature rallying cry. The banneret doesn't beat out prayer of healing's average healing until 9th level, but rallying cry uses one of the fighter's resources and you'd still get 2 more uses per short rest of prayer of healing
>>
>>76956104
>if you want to make it just an old man
I meant "The old man martial artist" trope-type I forgot to elaborate. The type that doesn't have any special powers and is just super skilled like sekiro's final boss isshin.
>>
File: 1381128915411.jpg (13 KB, 300x215)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>76956088
>>76956104
The idea was essentially making a fantasy Larry Foulke
>A knight of the realm that assisted the party in a previous moment of the game
>seeing tens of thousands of his men die horribly because of magical effects drove him to the edge
>heard of an artifact that has the power of neutering the world to magic, with the side affect of killing any and all beings that are magical in nature
>plans on using said artifact to allow the world to "start over from scratch", free from liches, archwizards that could throw the world into chaos because of a whim, monsters, and the influences of the dark gods
>>
>>76956176
Yes, but have you considered that the Banneret sucks?

>>76956040
I'd rescale the uses, especially since fighters have good con saves, but having fighters be effective at something other than just.. fighting at the cost of getting no damage boosting features is fine.
>>
>>76956212
So its just another sad man who wants to remake the world huh? I know originality isn't necessarily important but I wonder how many of these I've seen.
>>
>>76956262
Most villains are just sad men that want to remake the world.
Like heroes. They're two sides of the same coin.
>>
>>76956319
There may be a resemblance, but they never face the same direction
>>
>>76956040
>NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST CHOOSE TO DO ZERO DAMAGE AND HEAL INSTEAD, STRATEGY???? IN DND NOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T HECKIN DO THAT YOU HAVE TO HIT THE MONSTER
shut the fuck up stupid faggot
>>
>>76956407
>2d8 + Mod x6 healing for the whole party three times every short rest is balanced
>Can cast it mid combat instead of it basically being a short rest tool, making it leaps and bounds ahead of every other source of healing available to level 3 characters, even Life Cleric + Goodberries since it takes an action to eat a berry
>>
>>76956460
>OH MY FUCKING GOD A CLASS THAT CAN ACTUALLY SURVIVE A SWARM OF GOBLINS? NOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE GOOD UTILITY AT THE COST OF DAMAGE ON A FIGHTER THAT'S NOT HECKIN FAIR
>>
>>76956491
Please at least put in some effort, this is embarrassing
>>
>>76956460
>Healing is completely ineffective in combat in 5e except for healing word
>It must be this way, because if we add effective in combat healing it's too strong compared to healing we already have!
>>
>>76956509
Why don't you put more effort in faggot, maybe try using your brain instead of mindlessly complaining about a feature because wotc was too fucking stupid to design healing spells properly
>wotc are dogshit at balance therefore all homebrew must also be AWFUL (unless it's wizard haha!)
Seriously just fucking kill yourself there's nothing wrong with mid combat healing, it might shock you to know but most games that are not dnd have many options for in combat healing
>>
>>76956334
No, they never do. Even though they have tred the same path, it's the abyss that conquers the villain and shapes them into what they are. This is why the pivotal redemption is such a good writing area, because the hero didn't only save what was at stake, but they saved the hero that couldn't.
>>
>>76956511
Slapping in a feature that's better than pre-errata Healing Spirit doesn't solve any issues with 5e as a whole
If you want to make low level healing better slap an extra die onto all the healing spells 5th level and lower instead of making a retarded homebrew subclass that's leaps and bounds better than even the most rules lawyery healing interactions in the actual game

>>76956550
Play a different system if all you want to do is be a healbot
>>
>>76955819
Because they don't find it interesting. Having some guy whose dick you're sucking for power isn't everyone's ideal character.
>>
File: 8c1.jpg (641 KB, 1922x1716)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>>76956584
Buddy. . .
>>
>>76956610
Unironically my friend wanted to make a trap that would try to get my fighter's dick, only to piss off the GM. I thought it was hilarious but turned down the offer, I'm gonna get a sidekick for that.
>>
>>76956460
>2d8+wis mod is a lot
Do you only do one encounter a day? Unless you are permanently at level 3 this isn't strong at all
>>
>lvl1 cleric in pathfinder 2e heals 1d10+8 with 30ft range. Also can damage undead for the same amount.
>lvl1 cleric in dnd 5e heals 1d8+mod in touch range. Does nothing to undead.
Explain this
>>
>>76955524
>Auril
She has a proper home, idiot. Not in the material plane.
>>
>>76956603
No, 5e is open to homebrew and there's nothing wrong with adding or fixing features, why don't you stop sucking wotc cock, they're not gonna send you free books just because you make it your life's work to shill for them through every shitty decision they make
Cleric is the strongest class in the game by a country fucking mile, despite having healing their spells do disgusting amounts of damage on the least resisted elements in the game and you're honestly suggesting a group heal that's only good low level at the cost of doing damage us suddenly way to strong? Compared to fucking cleric???
You either don't play the game or you're just a retarded faggot, either way fuck off and die
>>
>>76956709
dnd is shit and gay and retarded
>>
>>76956671
Please see the 3rd level here >>76949839, which is what we are discussing. Not the Prayer of Healing spell itself.
>>
>>76956671
People in this thread just reflexively hate on homebrew because deep down they're jealous of their own inability to come up with homebrew themselves
>>
>>76955715
>>76955893
>>76956011

I don't want books with a focus on more than one plane, or else Jace is going to get involved. I really don't want to have to think about jace and elminster as background plot forces.
>>
>>76956709
>wotc buys dnd from paizo
>proceeds to fuck it up beyond repair
>paizo just keeps on trucking
You really can't just buy success or talent it seems
>>
>>76949839
BRB making my twink valkryie character and you have to accept it otherwise you're transphobic!
>>
>>76955748
I love 4e, but it was a mechanically sound OGL game that didn't need to be a mainline edition of D&D. It's something different and cool, but they squandered it.
>>
>>76956768
But I am transphobic
>>
>>76956728
I literally have you a less retarded suggestion than your shitty coomer subclass but you've got your head too far up your own ass to care.
Three Prayer of Healing per short rest, assuming the "suggested" two short rests per day that the game is supposedly designed around, is 4x more healing than a Cleric of the same level is possibly capable of. Nevermind that you can use it in-combat instead of as a 10 minute cast time.

At this point you're just being an ignorant faggot looking to keep a fight going
>>
>>76955819
Because he's got a bad idea of what being a warlock is, try and fix that or just go "yeah buddy, you can play a monk."
>>
>>76956739
woah...a strong ability at early levels that will eventually get hard outscaled by the full casting cleric. That's crazy....
>>
>>76956768
Nice, my Nordic Zealot Barbarian has a new cocksleeve.
>>
>>76956728
>No, 5e is open to homebrew
Eh dislike homebrew.
>Cleric is the strongest class in the game by a country fucking mile
What..?
>>76956603
It's not actually better though. Heals less, you just get more uses and it's okay to use in combat. You still likely won't because you might as well cast it after combat.

>Play a different system if all you want to do is be a healbot
Effective healing =/= being a healbot. In fact, if you have effective healing, you don't need to be a healbot at all, you can use your effective healing and still contribute.
That's why healing word is currently the premier healing spell, despite it healing fuck all.
>>
File: 1567489485801.jpg (9 KB, 440x351)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I miss when wizards werent spell slinging faggots, they were dark sourcerers of evil deeds that corrupted kings and controlled the undead in secret. Such rich magic should be evil and dwell in the darkest of dungeons along with monsters and abominations. Why is everything high magic these days? It takes away that rarity and special feeling of wonder and awe that magic should have.
>>
>>76956782
Oh shut up cunt, you are not a cleric, you are not a sorc or wizard or other fullcaster, you are a fighter with healing abilities who surrenders damage for these abilities, they have to be good otherwise it's a pointless archetype
Yes, you do get better healing than cleric but the divine soul sorc and cleric still get to do EVERYTHING FUCKING ELSE that you, as a fighter cannot.
But of course that thought never occurred to you because you're a moron who only looks at flat numbers in a vacuum instead of considering classes as a whole
>>
>>76956796
Shut the fuck up and play a banneret, no one will allow your shitty valkyrie.
>>
>>76956671
>>76956796

6d8+(wisx3) on 6 targets per short rest is quite a lot, yes.
>>
>>76956778
I'm gonna tell the LGS owner on you and you're gonna get kicked out for oppressing me!

>>76956826
Oh, I think we're gonna be friends.
>>
>>76956755
thank you, literally this.
>>
>>76955819
>>He says he wants to play it like a warlock, but doesn't want to go warlock because he doesn't want to deal with patron shit

it sounds like he wants to enslave some kinda spirit or higher power and force it to fight for him as a stand, or something, is that the gist of it?
>>
>>76956845
Because people realized "le dark and mysterious magic" is cringe and stupid
When normal technology irl outpaces magic the magic becomes mundane, casting fireballs isn't that impressive, meteor swarm isn't that crazy to think about when nukes exist
Magic is just a flashier stand in for technology, so it has become rather mundane and there's nothing wrong with that.
You wouldn't call somebody a witch just because he knows how to make a blowtorch
>>
>>76956796
It doesnt get outscaled though. Its 6d8 +3mod per short rest, ideally 18d8+9Mod per day. Thats around 80 HP even ignoring the modifier every day. For everyone. Thats more than any reasonable cleric will heal.
>>
>>76956849
I'm glad we finally got to the crux of the problem
>how dare you make a martial that can compete with fullcasters! It's too strong you must play garbage instead!
Are caster players really this insecure
>>
>>76956944
I don't play casters, I play monks and fighters because I like having fun and roleplaying fightpersons.
>>
>>76956845
Literally never happened. You could always play a wizard, regardless of edition, and at no point did the wizard class have "corrupt the minds of kings, hehehe, dont cut yourself on the edge ;)" as a class feature.
Go jerk off to your bad boy cool character somewhere else
>>
>>76956944
I'm surprised it's even a discussion when clerics are holding 9th level spells it suddenly doesn't mean much that the fighter can heal everyone for a bit
>>
>>76956846
And you get to do stuff that the cleric cant do. Becuase the fighter is actually a pretty great class if you actually play the game and dont just run whiteroom boss fights.
>>
>>76956979
The cleric knows one single 9th level slot. Meanwhile your fighter has 4 attacks whenever he wants and has great short rest abilities letting him keep going when others need rest.
Maybe try playing the game and not just running one shots where you have a single fight against random enemies?
>>
FRESH BREAD
>>76956996
>>76956996
>>76956996
>>
>>76956900
Lad fantasy is cringe and stupid, just look at how twitchy people get at the idea of gun powder. "If X exists in this setting then why don't kingdoms do Y with it?" will always plauge any setting. People have their own tastes of fantasy flavours, I just dislike how Magic being such a common place takes away from its wonder and/or threat.
>>
>>76956728
>you're honestly suggesting a group heal that's only good low level

please show me a comparable heal to

>2d8+mod
>on 6 different targets
>with an action cast time

Because there isn't, that is absurdly powerful even into higher levels. Even at higher level that still a 10% group heal that can pick up downed players nad prevent a TPK, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>76957048
Then why in the world are you in the 5e DnD general, a place to talk about a game that clearly is high magic? Imagine hating grapes and walking to a winery to complain that you dont like that stuff. You could just not go there.
>>
>>76957048
>If X exists in this setting then why don't kingdoms do Y with it?
Gunpowder was used for few hundred years before actual guns. For fireworks.
>>
>>76956845
It's a sideffect of the dumbing down of the game as a whole
>>
>>76955050
Who?
>>
>>76956889
That is pretty fuckin cool if it's what he's after.
>>
How do you make your maps anon? how much thought goes into them?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.