[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: smug elf.jpg (41 KB, 254x331)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>first ever tabletop game
>DM tells us to make characters native to a sleepy little hamlet
>go for a druid, bastard son of an elf who fucked off and a humble washerwoman
>dopey, good-hearted kid with a few authority issues
>few sessions go by
>DM introduces my character's father into the narrative
>has written him to be the nicest, most upstanding guy in the known universe
>"Um actually sweaty, I was saving the world so you're a bad person who wanted a destroyed world if you think I shouldn't have abandoned you :^)"
>becomes the DMPC and joins the group on all of their adventures

So, is my DM making fun of my backstory and wants me to knock it off or what?
>>
>>76944668
He's probably not trying to actively make fun of you, and is just bad at folding PC backstories into the plot, or has his own daddy issues that he's fumbling into the game.
>>
>>76944730
Nobody else's backstories have ever come up.
>>
Have you tried talking to him
>>
>>76944793
If he is making fun of me and I ask him, that's a pretty big L.
>>
>>76944816
How old are you? 19?
>>
>>76944668
Retire the character. He doesn't know what to do with his life now, because his entire childhood was full of resentment to his estranged dad. He now needs a few decades to contemplate his existence.
>>
Never bothered in last few ears with character backtstory. Actually prefer it this way. Not because I'm lazy but because what you envisioned will probably not survive first few sessions. Your interaction with the world and players will change how you envisioned your characters. Especially in party dynamics. Maybe you will become party's diplomat or brain, or maybe you will be a guy with crazy ideas. You don't know what it will be until you start playing with the group. So it is weird having a concept of silent guy that ends up being party's face.

>Create character with bare bones info
>name
>class
>profession/ job description before he joined the party
>joined the party 6 months ago before campaign starts

actually having fun when my actions flesh out the character and usually they are end up differently from what I thought they would be.
>>
>>76944816
Oh noes, how will your fragile ego ever survive?

Seriously, bite the bullet and just talk to the dude. If a take an "L" who the fuck cares? It's not like it's going to impact your life in any meaningful way outside of those 30 seconds.
>>
>>76945383
Based and improvpilled.

Though I usually have a couple of pointers to give to GM and work from there, and I feel like it's the ideal way to do the backstory.
>>
File: 1610440510628.jpg (21 KB, 396x388)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>76944668
Most people don't go out of their way to ruin a tabletop game for others, especially DMs. Talk to him and see if you can figure something out. Good luck!
>>
>>76944668
>You can't force me into your life daddy
>I want to life my own adventure, you quit or I quit this group
>I just want to be far away from you

You can literally solve the issue with few words and a bit of roleplay.

Then, if daddy has 9000 level more than you and he keeps you as his cum dumpster tomboy, you should have a talk with your dm indeed.
>>
>>76948970
Unironically fantastic work you do, smug man.
I appreciate the positivity.
>>
>>76948970
I seriously hate this avatarfagging, somehow not banned yet
>>
>>76944790
They probably didn't write extensive ones
>>
>>76949072
sneethe more
>>
>>76944924
Why do young adults have such fragile ego's bros? How do you deal with such people in your group ""humiliating"" them?
>>
>>76949132
>How do you deal with such people in your group without ""humiliating"" them.
My bad
>>
>>76949072
Then be angry, faggot.
>>
>>76949072
>nooooooo you cant undermine my psyops efforts to turn /tg/ into bitter incel terrorists
>>
>>76950186
>stolen vernacular
>>
>>76944668
>I should be happy because you only abandoned me to do good?
>Yea, you can fuck right off you manipulative prick
>Maybe you shouldn't have a child if you weren't ready to settle down and care for it
>As much good as you may have accomplished, you have failed at parenting and you are a horrible father, in fact, half the guys you killed probably pulled the same shit as you did

Now if your DM is worth his salt, he can turn this around and have your father slowly realise his mistakes and try to atone and bond with you.
>>
We actually cancelled the campaign a long ass time ago because another player bitched out, roughly a year later and I still think/wonder about this weird plot hook.
Thinking about it, it's probably >>76944730, he's a dad and a really good one, so it's probably hard for him to imagine somebody just fucking off and abandoning their kid without a really good reason.

Made the thread because I'm the DM now and it's interesting to think about unintended consequences
>>
>>76944816
Why are you so retarded?
>>
>>76944668
No matter how "good" of a person your pc's father is your char can still be mad at him for abandoning your char.
>>76952921
This
>>
>>76953452
Never diagnosed, but mild autism spectrum would not be very surprising.
Probably stuck with an IQ of about 80, not the most fun but I try to make do.
>>
>>76948970
You, I love you.
>>
>>76944816
Please fuck off.
>>
>>76949132
>Why do young adults have such fragile ego's bros?
Just about everyone does. 99% of the world's problems come about because someone has their ego hung up on something stupid. Even greed ultimately comes down to ego once you pass a certain point.
>>
>>76944816
>>76944790
>>76944668
we need to genocide children
>>76953419
OP you are literally the biggest faggot. neck yourself
>>
>>76957651
>crybaby boomer doesn't want to share his sandlot
I have bad news for you, bud.
>>
>>76944668
I think he's setting your dad up to die my man

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.