[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gc.png (149 KB, 476x476)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." -F. Scott Fitzgerald
>system matters
>the game is not the mechanics or the rules
who else here /firstrate/?
>>
>>76941341
>wizard players are faggots
>wizard antagonists are cool
Here I do be.
>>
>spamming dead /v/ memes on /tg/

y u do this
>>
>D&D is good at what it does and has it's place in the hobby
>D&D is a cancer that makes the rest of the hobby worse
>>
>>76941341
>having no game is better than D&D
>any game is better than no game
What do i win
>>
>>76941341
>cognitive dissonance is a quality of a first-rate mind
This sounds like some grade-A copium
>>
>>76941341
Exactly my experience in designing ttrpg for the last year. I am splitting at the seams. I run my games with MINIMAL rules and make it up as we go. Players are ecstatic. But.... Can I trust the buyer, the GM to do the same reading my system. And it will be free. But more is at stake here. ART. I need to let go and trust that anyone willing to EVER run a minute hipster system will be intelligent enough to pull it off... I have so much work to do. Have to rework it all!... One last time.
>>
>>76941341
>5e obsessed rpg babies are dumb faggots who contribute to things about the hobby that I hate.
>People being obsessed with 5e and refusing to play other systems keeps them from infecting other systems that I actually enjoy.

>>76941472
Based.

>>76941736
Opposing ideas do not mean ideas that completely exclusive from each other.

>>76941780
What about this is cope? People are able to see different perspectives, and this is "copium"?
>>
>>76941341
>being a hypocrite is okay
>t. some junkie faggot
>>
>>76941341
The point is to represent both ideas fairly and honestly, and have them debate one another until one wins out. It is NOT to hold both of them to be true at the same time. Otherwise it would literally Orwellian doublethink.
>>
File: 1582853551276.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>76941341
>Listening to footfags
>>
>>76942341
>The point is to represent both ideas fairly and honestly
In this age of Twitter and Discord, people would rather cancel and vilify, sling mud and apply false motivations to the other party than to construct a response based on the argument itself, or even address or acknowledge it in any way.
>>
File: ai.jpg (46 KB, 800x445)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>76943219
they're not wrong tho, you are evil
>>
But the mechanics and the rules are the actual game. The rest is window dressing.
If the mechanics and rules aren't functional, then your "game" is a book that takes 300 pages to ultimately say, "I dunno dude use your imagination."

Why the fuck should I take the time to read that, let alone buy it?
>>
File: lm.jpg (14 KB, 320x240)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>76943336
The game is neither the mechanics nor the rules - Don't let the mechanics dictate anything they don't have to. For example, Doug wanted a spiffy new magic sword. He had 120,000gp burning a hole in his pocket. (That's a big pocket.) The 120,000gp disappears from his char sheet and the ubersword takes its place. The rules say Doug's PC Angus has just purchased that sword. But Doug knows better. He knows the rules are there as a tool to support the game. So right in the middle of my hack-n-slash gamist pawn-stanced D&D game, Doug seizes directorial control and gets all narrative on our asses. "Angus is given an ancient ultimate sword by his homies in the church of Thor. He blows the 120K on the biggest motherfucking party the City of Greyhawk has ever seen." Doug rocks. And I rock too, because I run a game where Doug feels comfortable wailing on his mind-guitar like that. Doug was very actively rocking when he did this, but my rocking right then was more of the wei wu wei method of rocking. Sometimes the DM paints a picture, but sometimes he just sets up the canvas.
>>
>>76943351
Good post. You will probably be called a faggot by others though.
>>
>>76943517
https://jrients.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to-awesome-up-your-players.html
from one of the best blog posts about GMing I've ever read
>>
File: justice.png (362 KB, 730x380)
362 KB
362 KB PNG
>>76942132
>It's good that more people are playing rpgs
>i hate them all for liking pablum
>>
File: 1561265329423.jpg (157 KB, 1800x1287)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>76942451
The tragic thing about legs is that they end in feet.
>>
>>76941780
'Opposed' ideas, not 'opposite' ideas.
Such as enjoying thunderstorms, but recognising they can be bloody disruptive.
>>
>>76941367
Not opposite, player can't be antagonist
>>
>>76941341
>PbtA is really convenient to use for online games with its customizability and content options
>It is also very difficult to learn initially due to the gap between how it works and how other systems work
>>
>>76943249
If I'm evil, you suck dicks of strays in back alleys and guzzle their doggie cum without missing a drop.
>>
>>76941341
>the game is not the mechanics or the rules
The game is objectively the mechanics and rules, that is the game half of a roleplaying game. However, yeah roleplaying fags and crunchfags are both fucking awful. If you just want to do roleplay and hate mechanics don't even have mechanics or just use a basic pass-fail mechanic if you want to include chance. Likewise if you hate roleplaying so much just don't fucking do it, choose your system and just have dungeon crawls and shit going from one encounter to the next.

I just really hate the whole "I'm doing it the right way and any other way is badwrongfun" behavior of a lot of people. I tend to see it more among those who prefer roleplaying to mechanics, but each side is cancerous.
>>
>>76941341

We're more-or-less still continuing the argument that started with the Stormwind Fallacy. And it hasn't changed. Some people prefer story to game, or prefer game to the story, and they'll try to turn it into some kind of idpol dichotomy so they can shit on the other side. This is stupid, this was always stupid, the best games and the best gamers are the ones that appreciate both sides.
>>
File: getsum.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>76954675
>>76954774
see>>76943351and
Gruul the Half-orc had a bead drawn on one of the bad guys and loosed two feathered shafts into him. This dude only had 2 hitpoints left and Gruul hit him with two critical strikes. In some games those crit rolls would have been wasted. Any two arrows hitting would have iced that mofo. But Jon (the DM) freaked my shit out when he then called for Jason (Gruul's player) to roll two to-hits against another foe standing directly behind the first. The shots hit and damage is tallied. Jon: "The first guy totally explodes and the arrows pass through him, into the second guy, who drops dead." Do you see what Jon did there? He went over and above the call of the mere rules to allow Jason's guy to totally kick ass. In-character this did much to cement Gruul's reputation in the party as a badass mofo with the bow. Out-of-character my appreciation of Jon's DMing went up a big ol' notch.
>>
File: ClericDanse.png (1.79 MB, 1260x1033)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>76954675
>>76943336
then why doesn't everyone just use the SRD?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.