[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Centaurs.jpg (108 KB, 740x420)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
What would a town with buildings inhabited by centaurs look like?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>76941338
They'd be very stable
>>
>>76941356
Carlos!
>>
>>76941356
And once again, the Carlos-poster arrives to save us from OP's Faggotry
>>
>>76941338
Largely single storey and with wider spaces devoted to ramps. Maybe long, wide roads where citizens can have a good trot from place to place, I imagine a race so suited to the plains might have a kind of claustrophobia otherwise.
>>
>>76941338
Not that much different from a town with buildings inhabited by other equine-ish creatures. I expect there to be a library, a bakery, a farm, a clothing store, a pet shop, a weather patrol station, a schoolhouse...
>>
File: carlos.png (415 KB, 1266x688)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>>76941356
>>
>>76941338
It just dawned on me that it must be hard for centaurs to grab things on the ground.
>>
>>76941338
Can centaurs reach objects on the ground?
>>
>>76942206
>>76942458
They'd have to crouch down like horses do and then lean down and try and reach things with their arms. They could do it, but it would be a major inconvenience and a hassle. Thus, a centaur town would try and have everything as elevated as possible, homes would have lots of shelves.
>>
>>76942206
>>76942458
Hahahaha more like CAN'T taurs
incompetentaurs!
>>
>>76941338
Likely open spaces everywhere. Their longer bodies would require a more open space to properly navigate and live together in. And the buildings will have higher roofs too due to their taller size.
Honestly, they'd likely look like a mix of your standard stables and human living spaces. Likely large pillows for sitting on.
>>
File: 1572902058714.jpg (537 KB, 1280x1872)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
>>76941338

I can't get over the idea of centaurs being more horse like. in my mind, being more goat/sheep/donkey like makes more sense because it's not like you're going to move very fast for long if your human torso can't suck in air to feed the rest of your body appropriately.

That said, making them goat like makes them significantly smaller but opens up the idea that they could be adept climbers as well. Take those goats who climb up damn near sheer clifs or sides of damns to lick salt. now add a human torso with man hands they can grab onto shit as well.
>>
File: Forgot the Turkey.png (2.35 MB, 2560x1440)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB PNG
>>76941356
Carlos, I swear to god, one more cheeky pun and I'm throwing you off this bus and into the forzen cold of space to die just like that miserable ginger cunt with the glasses.
>>
>>76942716
>if your human torso can't suck in air to feed the rest of your body appropriately
maybe the entire human torso part of the centaur just contains a huge pair of lungs.
>>
>>76941338

Pretty standard ideas. Centaur will prefer lowslung spaces, probably in a style with few if any inner walls. Courtyard kitchens with elevated counters and live edible grasses, grain, and fruit trees/bushes.

Common centaur would live in similar arrangements with tangles of interior walls forming individual homes which could be granted moderate privacy through hanging skins and/or tapestries.

Wide circular paths/roads radiating from a central point, with forgiveness based on natural landscapes. It would be a beautiful place to live.
>>
>>76941338
Would a centaur mating with a horse be accepted in their society?
>>
>>76941356
Carlo, you fucking asshole.
>>
>>76941338
I've noticed centaurs often use some sort of horse nomad society as their main aesthetic.
I imagine permanent settlements would be rare. Maybe they'll have one permanent city in an area of religious significance - the city itself is permanent but (apart from a small population if religious figures or elders too weak to keep up with their tribes) the inhabitants constantly change as new tribes arrive to make sacrifices/conduct ceremonies/consult the oracles or elders/conduct trade and then leave. The structures of the city are mostly yurts/gers/teepees or at least they began as such, many having been stsnding in the same place for many years and reinforced and enlarged over time.
>>
>A permanent settlement featuring a majority/large minority centaurs would likely have wide long streets to accommodate their size and discomfort in tight spaces
>homes would usually be ground floor only, likely open plan so think anglo saxon round houses and yurts
>important buildings would mostly be open air with small covered sections like large courtyards to accommodate crowds
>partly construction is also an issue as the inability to use ladders means that the ground floor plan is the only practical one, with nobility hiring bipedal worker races to build elaborate two story palaces
>defence towers are thus not viable so palisade walls and large earthworks are the go to for protection
>if agriculturalist farms are likely slightly more efficient as the farmers are the beasts of burden too so expect smaller plots of land per family
>>
>>76944211
>>partly construction is also an issue as the inability to use ladders means that the ground floor plan is the only practical one
Scaffolding with steps or ramps would also be an option, especially if the ramp will be left in place as part of the finished structure. Expensive sure but an option for multistorey buildings without hiring bipeds.
>>
File: y.jpg (32 KB, 275x142)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>76941338
Lots and lots of rape.
>>
File: 1608096745112.jpg (709 KB, 1280x835)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
>>76941338
Modern suburbia with single-story houses. Stretched out, with shopping centres that act as hubs for the surrounding neighbourhoods. Prevalent on open plains and low hills where low density cities are possible.
>>
>>76942206
My DM ruled that a centaur's human waist has the flexibility and reach of a horse's neck. So you can just walk along with your upper torso parallel to the ground if you want, and then your arms are going to have an easy time reaching whatever.
>>
>>76945329
So basically the same flexibility humans have, but with the advantage of a horse torso stabilizing their centre of gravity.
>>
>>76945363
Exactly the logic by which we arrived at the conclusion.
>>
>>76941338
Saloon doors. Everywhere.
>>
>>76941356
Dammit, I laughed. You win this time.
>>
I would propose that seats/chairs would be few and far between, a few kept by just in case some out-of-towners pass through.
>>
>>76941338
Buildings take up a lot more space, because they need more room, and instead of stairs they have long ramps, which take up even more room.
>>
>>76941338
Like shit because the centaur build is completely useless
>>
>>76944634
Actually thats a good idea anon in that case the earliest palaces may end up being ziggurat/pyramids with external ramps and open air spaces, this also means that instead of hiring bipeds they may just take them as slaves to build their palaces like some kind of fantasy egyptian/babylonians
>INB4 slaves didn't build the pyramids, government artisans did!
I know
>>
>>76941338
Holes in everything from all the rape
>>
>>76941338
Single story buildings with only a few large, open rooms. Dirt or gravel floors so they don't wear down their hooves too fast, unless town centaurs have horseshoes then probably cobblestone. I wouldn't think centaurs can easily reach the ground without laying down, so any kind of brick or tiles would be too tedious for them to lay.
Streets would be wide and open. Any elevation changes would be with ramps.
Anything specific beyond that would be based on what you're centaurs culture is. Greek centaurs are notorious for being drunken dicks so the towns would probably have pubs on every corner.
>>
Threadly reminder that stairs are still a thing that hooved animals can traverse with little issues if they know how to.
>>
>>76943749
If horses are needed for reproduction, yes.

in Tamora Pierce's fantasy setting, Tortall, centaurs are Immortals - creatures who run more on magic than biology.

Centaurs are almost all male, but can breed with humans and horses - centaur/horse cross sometimes produces a horse sometimes a centaur.

Centaur/human cross is almost always a centaur, but the birth can be rough on a human mother.

Centaurs take human captives and steal herds of horses, and refer to them both as slaves.

At one point a centaur chieftain offers to buy one of the protagonists because 'she looks study enough to have centaur babies'.
>>
>>76949624
yeah just have longer, shallower stairs (possibly external to the building) and you can have 2nd story centaur homes
>>
File: Equestrian staircase.jpg (71 KB, 1024x683)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>76949630
Yeah, that's mostly how equestrian stairs work. Though you can probably make relatively compact ones too.
>>
File: stairs.jpg (331 KB, 958x1300)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>76949624
>>76949630
*blocks your path*
>>
>>76949724
Clearly the only type of staircase available
>>
>>76950795
People hate centaurs in my setting

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.