[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1599375643875.jpg (72 KB, 500x500)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>It's time to choose players for the first Threshold session. Under the rules of Patreon this can't be a random selection; but it can be based on a contest. A few important things: I'm planning to change the format of the contest each time, and once someone has played in a session, they will be ineligible for a certain number of sessions. Likewise, I will be changing the time of each session rather than using a single standard time, to facilitate players in different time zones. The goal here is to make sure that as many people as possible have a chance to be a part of the story.

>The first Threshold session will run from 1 PM to 3 PM Pacific Standard Time on January 23rd. Only participate in the challenge if you are able to play at that time.

http://keith-baker.com/threshold-begins/

>For reference, here are our characters. The Flame has already been taken and will definitely be in the session.
>Bel, the Smith (Beasthide shifter, Beast barbarian, folk hero)
>Briar, the Greensinger (Changeling, Dreams druid, entertainer)
>Deven, the Tailor (Goblin, Mastermind rogue, spy)
>Ja’taarka, the Good Boy (Worg, Dark Stalker Ranger, soldier)
>Rolan Harn, the Marshal (Deneith Human, Battle Master Fighter, soldier)
>Sora, the Stonespeaker (Sivis Gnome, Scribe Wizard, entertainer)
>Tari, the Flame (Kalashtar, Divine Soul Sorcerer, urchin)
>Three-Widow Jane, the Wandslinger (Khoravar, Genie Warlock, smuggler)
>Ink, the Scholar (Ruinbound Dwarf, Alchemist Artificer, sage)
>Vael, the Mystery (Valenar Elf, Glory Paladin, folk hero)

Keith Baker is running an online game with 10 PCs, each designed by Patreon voting committee. Each session is only two hours long, and the players of each PC rotate.

How would you imagine such a game running?
>>
>>76940942
10 players at a time? Running?
I don't unless its a West Marches campaign
>>
>>76940942
Poorly
>>
>>76940942
So, this is him desperately trying to cling to relevance and suckle from the Patreon teat, huh?
He must be so disappointed that he doesn't have the cachet and influence of Greenwood.
>>
>>76941186
Shoulda added more lolis
>>
>>76940942
10 players for a two hour session? Holy shit, that's about 18 minutes of time per PC. It's gonna be a miserable and tiny session where nothing much happens.
>>
>>76941238

this, like holy crap how do you have 10 players in general? I suppose the intent might be just to create a story and have fun with these outlandish characters, not really for the players to have fun in a conventional way.
>>
>>76940942
>the players of each PC rotate.
This right here is the worst part of this entire mess
>>
>>76941795
Why?
>>
>>76942419
>why is giving control of a character to a completely different person every session a problem
>>
>>76942919
Gives everyone a fair chance.
>>
>>76940942
>10 PCs
>2 Hour session
What the fuck.
>>
>>76943133
And then next session someone else gets to play your character and totally fuck them up
>>
>>76943236
Is it really YOUR character if it was designed by Patreon vote?
>>
>>76943236
With sessions that short I'm not sure you can fuck up the character, or even do anything at all.
>>
>>76943294
You can... make a skill check or attack action.
>>
A specter is haunting the Forgotten Realms — the specter of capitalism.
>>
>>76944552
Eberron isn't FR.
>>
File: 1598902938763.jpg (64 KB, 451x553)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>76941238

120 minutes, 10 PCs? Everybody receives 12 minutes of spotlight.
>>
>>76940942
I can see it working only if there's some way of sectioning off players into subgroups

I'm in a text-only game with 8 players and the GM- it wouldn't work with voice chat very well because so few people can participate at a time, but with text you don't run into the issue of people talking over one another and you can have a few conversations in parallel and during combat some people can be strategizing while another player is taking a turn and a few others are joking.

The other way is to have multiple GMs and basically run two sessions in parallels with PCs moving between the groups when necessary but only rarely being ALL together.

But two hours is just really short for a tabletop session in general.
>>
>>76940942
What a fucking disaster waiting to happen. What he should have done is something like this.
>Everyone is in a giant campaign West Marshes style
>Everyone has their own dm who approves of their characters in this world
>All dms report to Keith Baker
>Keith Baker is the main quest giver of this world

This way, everyone gets a chance to interact with Keith Baker at some point while still playing a normal game. Why didn't he do something like this?
>>
>>76940942
>Each session is only two hours long
Where does it say that? I don't see that anywhere in that post. 2 hours is way too short for a session, esp with 10 players.
>>
>>76947149
>The first Threshold session will run from 1 PM to 3 PM Pacific Standard Time on January 23rd.
>>
>>76946557
FUCK

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.