[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: war of the roses4.jpg (576 KB, 800x1107)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
What's halfway between B/X and 5e?
>>
>>76940795
Half way between what points?
If you want class options, look into Adventure, Conqueror, King or Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperboria. Or just start bolting on more classes from those things and others onto b/x. Its not difficult.
If you want high powered drama sort of stuff but still a bit osr, look into Godbound or Scarlet Heroes. Both are different approaches to making osrish games with higher powered characters.
There are other options, depends on what you want.
From the b/x side, its easy enough to pick parts from things that have AD&D base as well.
>>
File: rqce.jpg (619 KB, 596x771)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>76940795
you want skills and options without a clunky system
you want unified mechanics
you want lore and the feeling of mythology
you want RuneQuest Classic Edition
>>
>>76940795
Realisation that D&D is bad regardless of edition and there is variety of other games, far better suited for the things each of said editions tried to achieve.
>>
>>76940795

Five Torches Deep. It's literally a premade set of house rules to make 5e play more like B/X
>>
>>76940795
nothing good
>>
>>76940946
I guess you should re-read the question
>>
>>76940882
Like, the simple resolution & verisimilitude of B/X but with more differentiation between characters

I think I’d like other classes than thieves to get a variety of skills. Maybe something in the direction of Stars Without Number, I suppose
>>
>>76940795
Low Fantasy Gaming is pretty fucking good.
>>
>>76941106
Check out ACKS or AS&SoH.
Beyond the Wall is a really good osr game with a lot of character development where everyone makes village heroes together. Its also worth looking at.
>>
>>76941106
Crawford has Worlds Without Number coming out soon, which will be fantasy (though more Vancian fantasy apperently) SWN
>>
>>76941065
No, he's got the point. The mid-point between those choices really is dropping DnD entirely
>>
File: 19789999.jpg (105 KB, 400x345)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>76941106
>verisimilitude

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.