[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1562766940514.jpg (102 KB, 1200x919)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
The sudden hatred for worldbuilding and homebrews is a corporate psyop. Tabletop publishers hate homebrews for the same reason video game publishers hate mods; They undercut sales of products that are redundant and unnecessary if consumers can make it themselves. For example, if Valve released DLC for Half-Life 2 that turned Gordon's crowbar into a dildo, nobody would buy it because a million mods already exist that do the same thing. This situation is even worse for tabletop games. When everybody just homebrews, there's no reason to buy the fuckawful official settings and modules. Unlike video games, it's far more difficult to keep potential consumers within your plantation. A video game can simply compile all the software together in such a way that modifications aren't really possible, but nobody can do that for an RPG ruleset. Instead, RPG publishers send their shills to attack the idea of homebrewing itself and create a culture of shame around it. Zoomers and newfags (who already have their own idiosyncratic brand loyalties) gobble it up and spread it to all their stupid little friends. Once the submission to the brand is established and reinforced, it's no longer necessary to shill as all the consoomers will do it pro bono.
>>
>>76940686
Anyone with a brain can see that, and those who can't will refuse to see it. There's no point for this thread.
>>
>>76940744
>Anyone with a brain can see that
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>76940686
I think it should be embraced. There's gotta be a significant amount of cost to making the official stuff, and it's not needed. Core rules and expansions could be made available for a lower cost without any fluff or lore involved, and for new players and DMs that want something out of the box, make editions that include a fully prebuilt campaign that's ready to run for a substantially higher price.
>>
>>76940686
>The sudden hatred for worldbuilding and homebrews is a corporate psyop
It's one poster spamming threads
>>
>>76940686
Who the hell buys shit here instead of pirating it anyway? If they wanted to change purchasing habits they'd be better off canvassing reddit.
>>
>>76940686
7/10, it actually does sound plausible
>>
File: soulless.jpg (316 KB, 685x734)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
consoom.
>>
>>76941457
Pirate things that look interesting. If it actually ends up being useful I try and buy a hard copy as directly from whoever made it as possible. That being said, I'm entirely buying indi, osr and awg stuff. WotC and GW can fuck off.
>>
>>76940686
You're too short sighted. Companies want mods and homebrews too continue. For one thing, they extend the longevity of their products. Look at fucking Skyrim still being sold for vidya. For ttrpg Paizo going OGL gave them a huge amount of market dominance prior to the release of 5e, because everyone just made shit for PF which kept PF selling. Secondly, it gives them a pool of cheap talent that they can skim from to keep pushing their shit. For vidya you can see this in the Long War mod for XCOM, which was so well liked that the studio hired the designers for XCOM 2 and made the mod "official". This didn't cost them anything though, and they never had to pay the long war people for the long war, and even in XCOM 2 they were just regular employees even though they had already proven their ability. TTRPG you can see that with WotC and the CR supplement. It cost Wizards literally nothing for CR to run their show, and when it gets popular they immediately swoop in and make a buck off of publishing someone elses material with their name on it. You see this a lot more in the music industry where record labels are constantly hunting for talented artist with big dreams that they can get to sign a contract for as little money as possible.
>>
>>76940686
I'm in agreement that world building and homebrew is good, but this idea that wotc or whoever is totally flush with cash to pay shills to cry about world building is ridiculous. "Anyone with a brain" can see that homebrew and world building are never going away, whether or not some 4chan autist wants to troll about it. There's no way they'd waste time and money trying to discourage it, outside of existing avenues like copyright where they can use their parent companies legal apparatus more efficiently.
>>
>>76941508
Oh sure, I do send my spare cash to smaller publishers. The point is that even when I steal from larger name stuff they ain't seeing a cent so obnoxious indirect advertisements are only going to make fence-sitters become more like us.
>>
>>76941581
>For one thing, they extend the longevity of their products
LMFAO, you don't make money by selling one product one time. You make money by selling more products repeatedly.
>>
>>76940686
I hate them because of bumpfag and his fucking asinine shit.
>>
>>76941657
Again, look at Skyrim and Pathfinder. The long line of people willing to make free content for those properties kept them relevant long past the normal publishing cycle.
>>
>>76941703
Skyrim kept selling because Todd kept re-releasing it on new platforms, only some of which had (very limited) mod support. In practical terms, it was a different product.
>>
>>76941672
I hate Bumpfag because I want to worldbuild without being asked about Rose Quarts magic.
>>
>>76941326
So some kind of universal system that's cheap on its own, but then you buy settings and campaigns as and when you want them? Sounds great to me, but a lot of people would rather make their own than spend money to get something someone else made unless it was way higher quality. That would be the best system but I don't see much money in it
>>
>>76942083
How about a generic that isn't shit like GURPS is
>>
>>76940686
I agree with you in spirit but I don't think the table top hobby has the budget to push like an actual full on psyop.
>>
>>76941947
This. The nigger pollutes genuine interest with his inanity.
>>
>>76942713
Habsro
>>
>>76942739
D&D barely makes Hasbro money on the grand scale of things. Magic the gathering eclipses how much money 5e makes them several times over.
>>
>>76942713
It's definitely just a troll
>>
File: file.png (623 KB, 1200x919)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>76940686
>>
>>76942027
I think if the rules are cheap and good enough, it would end up pretty popular, especially if the extra editions could be standalone enough to supplement a homebrew system that needs some gap filled, i.e. all of a sudden your players want to be pirates but you have no system for ship combat, so you buy this piracy and naval combat rulebook on amazon and plunk it in. It would help new players as well, because if they've played the boxed campaign as their first foray into the hobby, they already know how to play with those and can adapt them to whatever homebrew setting they want.

I've never used GURPS or looked much into it, but from what I understand, it seems to have a decent following based on doing something similar with all the modules it offers. A $15-25 hardcover rulebook covering would a pretty attractive option, especially with strong and robust rules that are balanced enough with the rest of the ruleset to prevent anything stupidly game breaking or unintentionally overpowered.
>>
>>76942027
>>76943009
To expand on the boxed campaigns, I think focusing on 2-3, maybe with a couple expansions to highlight new rules, would be the way to go, with the bulk of sales being just the rules themselves. If you cultivate the market for the boxed ones, you'll alienate the core player one that likes to homebrew, and that's where the rules will sell really well. I'm thinking the boxed campaign could be a way to get people introduced to the rule system. Another thing that could help would be having development tools for making campaigns that use the rules available for free, so people that like to homebrew will be drown to it for that as well.
>>
File: Foiled Again.jpg (114 KB, 600x686)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>76940686
No, Kevin. We simply hate it when you stop your game to drop on us infodump and stroking your own ego and Johnson about your "quality output". I want to play games, not being bothered by some idiot force-feeding me with deepest lore I don't care and which has zero connection to the scenario I'm playing.
>>
>>76943618
Get a load of this faggot, he plays with a guy named Kevin. What a loser.
>>
>>76943673
I at least play, instead of sulking in a corner and writing pointless essey on tectonics of one of your invented continents, fag.
>>
>>76943618
>We simply hate it when you stop your game to drop on us infodump and stroking your own ego and Johnson about your "quality output"
This strawman never happens.
>>
>>76940686
It's just a race to the bottom of post quality from faggots starved for attention.
They will take any position that gets them the most (You)s for the least effort.
>>
>>76943618
Found the shill
>>
>>76941761
Fallout 4 had built in mod support for the fucking consoles man, people buy bethesda games for their mods
>>
>>76940686
It's shitposting you retarded schizo
>>
>>76940686
Okay schizo. OR 99% of homebrew is unbalanced and autistic. And most people don't give a shit about your sooper speshul setting or its lore.

Sorry you came to /tg/ thinking you would be praised for the turds your mind squeezes out. Maybe reddit would be more to your liking.
>>
>>76946442
>>76946512
When did Schizo replace Tranny/Autistic as the insult of the day? I've seen it on other boards as well, new year new slur?
>>
>>76946574
Lurk more newfag.
>>
>>76940686
I honestly thought this was common knowledge.
>>
>>76946582
But that's the thing, I've personally seen the fall of Retard and the rise of Autism, and how for a while it seemed that Tranny was going to over take it, but it's use seems to be divided along party lines, I just want to know what is causing Schizo to be used with such fervor?
>>
>>76941947
How does Rose Quartz work?
>>
File: Chores.jpg (33 KB, 340x264)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>76940686
Normally I always play devils advocate when someone makes a big paragraph post basting something and using buzz words like 'Shills, Any form of the (X)oomer memm' and uses similes that don't quite work.

HOWEVER, I'm actually gonna agree with this guy on the sole grounds DnD and any RPG game were originally meant for players to make their own adventures; and that you should be allowed to play them however the hell you want granted you have the majority agree at the table. And that no one, not even the people who made the fucking game, should boss you around and tell you how to play a game that's 90% imagination and player interaction. I whole heartedly agree you should be allowed to make whatever content you want for your own games.

But returning to my nature as the Devils advocate, I will say that Premade modules and settings by publishers aren't inherently bad. They're just as much another persons homebrew as yours is, all that's different is yours isn't being sold. And that Modules still serve a propose being Baby DMs first adventure, being a gate way for a entirely new group, or just being something a DM can use if they can't make a full campaign in time for game night, or just for people who like published adventures.

Returning to my previous statement, I still agree that you have a right to use homebrew.
>>
>>76946574
Schizo has been around for years. Difference is it isn't just a generic insult, it's used when someone specifically believes something for which they have no evidence, often conjecturing motivation or seeing coordination where there is none.

OPs post is a schizo post because he finds it impossible to believe that people just don't care about his homebrew and instead convinces himself that it is a coordinated attack on this board by the powers that be to discourage creativity and buy their products.
It is utterly schizo thinking
>>
>>76946902
I'm saying that I've seen it being used as a generic insult, especially on /v/ which already has it's own "game" of phrases and responses
>>
>>76946936
I doubt it's true that you've seen it be used as a generic insult, but if you have then it's newfags using it wrong. What is there to say?

Personally I've literally never seen it misused like that and am inclined to believe you just didn't see the point the person saying it was making.

What an utterly worthless direction of conversation
>>
>>76946703
Wednesday WHEN?
>>
>>76946954
The two posts I quoted don't even agree with each other, the first one is "It's one guy, just ignore it" and the other "Yes and!" how can I miss their point?
>>
>Homebrew settings
99% of the time this is just codeword for "DM's personal autistic worldbuilding project" which is always a huge red flag because it means every session is going to be slogging through the DM forcing his special snowflake world and special snowflake characters down your throat while you're just trying to play the fucking game
>>
>>76947106
You sound like you only got into D&D because you watched Critical Role
>>
>>76946902
>OPs post is a schizo post because he finds it impossible to believe that people just don't care about his homebrew and instead convinces himself that it is a coordinated attack on this board by the powers that be to discourage creativity and buy their products.
>It is utterly schizo thinking
We've had multiple threads lately attacking the concept of homebrew in general and extolling the virtues and professional quality of official RPG material to a truly ridiculous degree. Those threads are more likely to be shitposting than any kind of an actual psyops, but there's been an anti-homebrew sentiment being pushed lately that has nothing to do with anyone's specific homebrew and everything to do with scorn for the idea of amateurs even trying.
>>
>>76946637
You're full of shit because schizo has been used for over a year now.
>>
>>76947136
*commonly used
>>
>>76947125
I haven't played DnD in 7 years and I legitimately don't know who Critical Role is.
>>
>>76947106
99% of the time a homebrew setting is something that's a rough outline of an idea when the game starts and is developed more fully as the game progresses and details become relevant. Autistic amount of detail is a very rare problem. Inconsistencies following from improvised on-the-spot worldbuilding are more common.
>>
>>76947132
>>76848216
>>76832302
>>76909753
>>
>>76947150
In the very, very rare chance you're not fucking lying - basically its a very popular podcast of internet celebrities playing their OCs, it's more improv and acting than actual dice throwing from what I hear.

The podcast itself isn't what's the issue, it's more or less the very unrealistic expectations and toxic fans it brings into the hobby, making everyone think every group and game is just gonna be like that. Think about how in the nineties everyone thought DnD players were gross sweaty 30-something nerds playing in their mothers basements, but the reverse of that.

That's why people don't like Crit Roll. May watch it from the start to see if it's actually all that bad. Matt Mercer is still a pretty good DM with some good advice to listen too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpbpE2ghGfk
>>
>>76940686
Pretty sure it's just a /tg/ thing. Luckily, /tg/ has no influence on the real world and its trends.
>>
>>76947125
Homebrew has been shat on for decades. In some groups it's even outright banned because of the levels of bullshit associated with it.

My first D&D experience was over a decade ago with an autistic 14 year old DM who used almost nothing from the books and as a result the campaign was just a clusterfuck of whatever he felt like
At level fucking 3 he introduced an all-powerful sword that could possess players and kill them if they resisted.

>>76947132
There's entire fucking homebrew threads.
Sorry not all threads are as enthusiastic about your autistic endeavours, welcome to 4channel.
You're seeing patterns and coordination where there is none and that's why I'll continue to call you schizo
>>
>>76947186
>>76941868

Apparently he doesn't like Racial Bonuses either.
>>
>>76947162
I would agree with this except for the fact that I don't ever see people use the term "homebrew setting" when referring to that kind of campaign.
>>
>>76947233
That thread doesn't have anything to do with homebrew and could be really any shitposter
>>
>>76947239
Did you know the DMG spends more time telling you how to homebrew than it does on telling you how to use their rules and setting?
>>
>>76947245
Said just like a shit poster trying to to cover up his tracks out of fear of being called out.
>>
>>76947266
Do you really think all shitposts are made by just one guy?
>>
>>76947277
And you really think there aren't Scitzos on this board who'll spend their day spamming multiple threads about things they don't like?
>>
>>76947303
No but given the thread you posted doesn't share any similarities of subject matter or posting style I find it hard to believe that it is the same poster and not just some other random shitposter. It's not like there's any shortage of retards making bait threads
>>
>>76946936
>especially on /v/
/v/ is one of the dumbest boards on this site, a /v/ermin's usage of a word is not indicative of anything
>>
>>76947336
... Fair Point, I'll concede and give you this victory.
>>
>>76947227
>You're seeing patterns and coordination where there is none and that's why I'll continue to call you schizo
Anon, there have literally been multiple threads lately specifically made to ridicule the idea of people homebrewing instead of consooming. These threads aren't about any specific homebrew, they're about the concept of homebrew, about amateurs trying to do things instead of leaving it to the professionals and just consooming those professional products. The pattern is obvious. Coordination is most likely down to it being a lone shitposter. As I said, I don't think it's any kind of a coordinate corporate operation, I think it's the newest flavor of the month shitposting. You might as well call people complaining about locallordposting schizos.

>>76947239
Well, that doesn't make it any less homebrew, does it?
>>
>>76946902
>shilling doesn't exist on 4chan!
Lmao, get a load of this asshole.
>>
>>76947360
Anon one guy has shitposted by making the same thread twice, and due to being off your meds you have concluded this must be a coordinated assault on a Chinese cartoon forum by the all powerful tabletop gaming industry.

Does it ever occur to you that 1) homebrew still requires access to source material and so someone who homebrews is not inherently someone who does not purchase products or 2) being a Chinese cartoon forum, many people pirate stuff they want here, and even if your twisted logic was correct and discouraging homebrew encouraged interest in source material most people here still wouldn't pay for it

Take. Your. Meds. Schizo.
>>
>>76947402
>Anon one guy has shitposted by making the same thread twice, and due to being off your meds you have concluded this must be a coordinated assault on a Chinese cartoon forum by the all powerful tabletop gaming industry.

>>>76947360
>As I said, I don't think it's any kind of a coordinate corporate operation

???????
>>
>>76947423
It is however what OP said
>>
>>76947402
>and due to being off your meds you have concluded this must be a coordinated assault on a Chinese cartoon forum by the all powerful tabletop gaming industry.
Anon, I literally, in the very post you replied to, said that it's one guy shitposting and not a corporate operation. I don't think you're in a position to call anyone else a schizo if you somehow manage to see the exact opposite of what was actually written in other people's posts. Fuck, telling you to take your meds might actually be warranted here.
>>
>>76947440
Then reply to fucking OP faggot
>>
>>76940686
Where is this hatred of worldbuilding and homebrewing?
I haven't seen it, though to be fair, I haven't been browsing /tg/ that much lately.
>>
>>76947501
Relatively recent. OP is likely just calling out >>76947186
>>
>>76947501
some sperg is spamming threads
>>
>>76947520
Those seem like blatant bait threads to me.
>>
>>76941672
Bumpfag?
>>
>>76947735
It's a trend in various setting/discussion threads where once they're about to die off, some guy shows up and asks an stupid question.
It wouldn't be so bad if it actually spurred discussion, but his questions are usually way too pointless and inane, so the thread is still dead, but has been bumped for no reason.
>>
>>76947277
You'd be surprised how often that can be the case. When they're all on the same topic and done in the same manner, it's often been the case that it's one mentally ill autist anon who has decided this is the hill he dies on and they can and do spend years shitting up a board.
>>
>>76948065
>When they're all on the same topic and done in the same manner
Which is not the case here
>>
>>76947402
>The same thread twice.

We have had countless threads and posts on it over the last year and a bit. You using an off board meme doesn't help the fact that you're denying reality and then accusing price of being mentally ill when they call you out on it.
>>
>>76941326
Reign and Wild Talents did exactly that
>>
>>76947501
It's been busing over the last two years.amd there's traces of it going back furher. I think it's the same person who was raging against quests and got them thrown off the board. You'd be surprised what a single autist can do to destroy boards on 4chan, especially given the current dire state of moderation.
>>
>>76948073
Which is exactly the case here. Homebrew and worldbuilding have been coming under the exact same sort of pressure and complaints we saw with quests back around 2014 or so.
>>
>>76948114
I'm going to ask you point blank: are you fucking retarded or did you just not read the comment chain you decided to reply too?
>>
File: chuck sneed.jpg (62 KB, 1024x768)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>76942975
>>
>>76948098
Was it really a single autist that got quests thrown off?
>>
>>76948163
No, it was a generally controversial subject at the time.
>>
>>76948163
presumably small but vocal group
>>
>>76948163
No, it was the 90% of Elegen/tg/entlemen who thought threads were fucking shit and neded to fuck right off.
>>
>>76940686
Its just contrarianism anon.
>>
>>76940686
To me, it's not that some people want to make homebrews or AUs. It's that so many fuckwits think that they are head and shoulders such better writers than a team of dedicated staff that you can't find a single fucking game that hasn't been made into some poorly thought out abomination made of the distilled ego of a third rate GM.
>>
>>76941481
>ribbonshitting
>>
>>76947186
>implies amateur settings can never measure up to professional ones
>while posting fucking Golarion

Like, no hate, I don't have a problem with pathfinderfags and their games. But Golarion feels more like a homebrew than most homebrews. It's the exact kind of kitchen sink me and my mates came up with when we were 14 and wanted to have Naruto and world of warcraft combined in our d&d game.
>>
File: 1480379687864.jpg (41 KB, 525x540)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>76947277
God could you imagine. If all shitposters was just one man absolutely SEETHING/
>>
>>76946703
Corporations have to intrude on your imagination because imagination is antisemitic.
>>
>>76943994
When I was new to GMing I did it, my players hated it and it became an excuse for me to railroad

I learned not to do it
>>
>>76947233
Given this is official Wizards policy now this is just what the hobby has become
>>
>>76949120
You get your rocks off lying on the internet or are paint chips just THAT delicious retard?
>>
>>76948163
No
>>
>>76949130
Read Tasha's
>>
>>76943618
There's some nuance to this. Lots of players - myself included - like to get invested in the details of a world, it just has to be relevant to the characters and conveyed organically.

And some players just eat that shit up. I'm running an exploration-based campaign in a homebrew, sort of a 'new world' situation with the players arriving on a foreign continent. My players are taking detailed notes constantly and try to avoid combat with humanoids as much as possible because they'd rather try and ask them about their culture and local geography. I've had to upscale my worldbuilding collosally to avoid having to bullshit my way through all their inquiries.
>>
>>76941491
Imagine being such a bug that, when a friend makes something and you don't think its very good, you humiliate him and leave the room.
Its not the content thats soulless its the consumer.
>>
>>76948304
Why are biscuit tins like that always made into sewing kits or dice/counter storage and why are they so good at it too?
>>
>>76949361
mate that post is very clearly bait or was written by an anon so deep in the autism spectrum as to be beyond the concept of friendship.
>>
>>76948304
There are some legitimately very bad writers making settings for rpgs. You can complain about amateurs thinking themselves better than the professionals, but remember that professionals made eberron, dragonlance, forgotten realms, modern WoD etc.
>>
>>76948780
I thought imagination was what creates such good stories.
>>
>>76949355
This, you change presentation to suit the audience. Some of my best experiences as a player have been piecing together elements of the GMs world and contributing to the blank spaces. It helped that he was an engineer and I a brainlet so exposition often touched on design principles I was unaware of.
>>
>>76950827
That's why we can't have good stories anymore. If people start imagining things then they might imagine a world without blacks, transgenders and Jews. You're committing mental genocide when you read stories that weren't approved for you by a corporate diversity board.
>>
File: edit.png (530 KB, 1200x919)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
>>76942975
>>76940686
>>
>>76948304
RPGs and especially specific adventures are not written by teams of dedicated staff. Generally books are written by 1 person and edited/proofread by a few others.

But your opinion isn't a real opinion that exists among people who actually play games. The nature of GMing is inherently improvisational and creative. Even published settings and adventures are run wildly differently between different GMs.
>>
OP/homebrewers are clearly paranoid >>76947402>>76947277 but also focus on racialism >>76948780 >>76950986 >>76942735 >>76941481 outside of /b/ (where it belongs) and anti-corporatism >>76941508 >>76941631 >>76949120 >>76949361 outside of /pol/ (despite a sudden u-turn on this and shift to shitposter-blaming halfway through when even they realized how insane they look).

I don't think basing your identity so strongly against the mainstream (most other people) and consumption (enjoying things) is healthy for the mind, and this thread supports that suspicion. It seems to result in a simultaneous feeling of elitism/purity over everyone else while at the same time feeling paranoia and persecution by those same "inferior" "bugs"/sheeple.

So I think this thread is sadly turning people away from even the legitimate and conservative use of homebrew by the sheer insanity of its advocates. However, as others pointed out >>76947227 >>76943618 >>76946512 >>76947106 >>76948304 anti-homebrew sentiments are not new or specific to a single corporation/group or poster, despite what homebrewer persecution-complexes say.
>>
>>76951454
You autistic or something?
>>
>>76951479
What makes you say that?
>>
>>76951501
Mass replying, creepy unnatural syntax, fixation on an internalized notion of rules, and criticism of a basic and normal sentiment.
>>
>>76951501
You wrote more than a tweet length post.
Zoomers don't like seeing actual posts
>>
>>76951531
Its not autistic at all, I think you're just intimidated by his use of thought
>>
>>76951548
Ok sperg
>>
>>76941657
>LMFAO, you don't make money by selling one product one time. You make money by selling more products repeatedly.
Idiot. You think they keep releasing Skyrim on new platforms because it's their hobby?
>>
>>76951454
Was this written by an AI?
>>
>>76951559
Re-read his post again, his syntax is fine and his observations are sound.
The only reason I can imagine you're calling his post autistic is because he actually took a few minutes to think it out before he typed it and you're used to seeing people shit out tweet tier posts
>>
I don't know dude it seems far more believable that an imageboard with thousands of anonymous users, many of which completely desperate for any kind of attention they can get, just recognize that posting stupid inflammatory opinions gets a lot of (you)s.

It seems at least more believable than WOTC paying secret anti-creativity agents to rob 4chan of its worldbuilding-mana or whatever.
>>
>>76951593
Calling the use of the word nigger "racialism" and claiming that "anti-corporatist" sentiment /pol/ is exceptionally autistic to the point that one wonders if human hands wrote the message.

As far as his syntax goes, the constant use of parentheses, midsentence mass replies, and unnecessary emphasis on armchair psychoanalysis all point to the 'tism. Sorry friend but you're a sperg and so is he, if you're even different people.
>>
>>76946574
>>76946637
Trump lost. /pol/ trash are withdrawing back to under their rocks and their opponents are more prevalent. Tranny was a /pol/ insult and schizo is the opposite.
>>
>>76947150
Nobody on /the/ does not know what Critical Role is. Kys yourself contrarian.
>>
>>76941420
This.
>>
>>76951640
I just assumed english might not have been his first language, and not everyone that comes to 4chan does so to be a shitposting fag on /pol/
Believe it or not some people here don't go to /pol/ at all and just talk about our hobbies on the hobby boards.
That anon just seems like someone who genuinely enjoys his hobby and talking about it without a hint of ironic detatched cynicism.

You're calling him an autist for having totally normal opinions that anyone who doesn't lurk /b/ and /pol/ would likely agree with.
>>
>>76951677
Absolutely no one thinks any of what he said is normal.
>>
>>76948315
>shitting
Woyafag confirmed as the storyshitter/freakshitter spammer.
>>
>>76951693
It's not all 1 guy but just a bunch of nogames questfags eternally salty they got purged
>>
>>76951686
Maybe not if you're 14 or something, but to me what he wrote just looks like the kind of shit any of my friends that went to university write when they're taking a conversation seriously.
He doesn't seem autistic to me, he seems educated and not afraid to have a genuine opinion.
>>
>>76951686
this
>>
>>76951717
Okay that settles it you're the same autistic guy
>>
>>76951731
Nah, I just thought it post was good and I disagree with you.
His post is the kind of shit you used to see more often on /tg/ before critical role flooded this board with faggots
>>
File: kim-tae-kyeong-mermaid.jpg (174 KB, 1920x547)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>76941491
some of the home brew i have made is higher quality than official releases.
and furthermore susan, i can make a world that isnt bland dogshit meant to maximize appeal to every single focus group and retard demographic.
therefore its actually unique and fun and interesting.
also world building is fun.
>>
>>76951749
>my friends that went to university
Anon everyone on /tg/ who isn't underage is a college graduate or a college student. You're underage and autistic, making up stories now too. Just stop posting
>>
>>76951777
annihilated by trips
>>
>>76951777
No I just dropped out cause I'm a lazy asshole
I said "Friends who went to university" because thats the pattern, they picked up a style of writing while they were there that my college educated friends do not have. Anons post reminds me of that more than anything.
>>
File: 1509319748809.jpg (538 KB, 1000x1620)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>>76947277
it could be just one guy, a paid employee of hasbro, IE a shill. or a schizo is possible as well.
but i agree with OP that the homebrew hate is a alien and artificial force.
>>
>>76951454
>OP/homebrewers are clearly paranoid
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/76909753/
The thread and even the third post anon linked some of the recently made samefagging troll thread which are all pretty similar, obvious same fagging.

You're delusional.
>>
>>76951777
I'm actually gonna say that, in my experience, there's also the college dropouts. A lot of fa/tg/uys didn't finish college for one reason or another. Of the ones I've met, a good chunk of them just sorta started doing IT part way through and didn't finish.
>>
>>76951819
>"college educated friends" don't have
>"university friends" do
Autist anon you need to focus on your school, college and university are interchangeable terms. University is just a fancier word for college.
>>
>>76951677
Are you having a laugh or are you really clueless? The post reads like it was written by an alien.
>>
>>76951856
I suppose some people might be dropouts but everyone, setting aside the underage on /tg/ has been to college. Maybe 5% of the board has no college education.
>>
>>76951693
>still desperately trying to make woya a phrase
Ribbonshitter pls
>>
>>76951862
I wouldn't call my plumber and welder buddies university educated. Where I'm from you go to college to get into a trade, uni to get into STEM.

>>76951880
It certainly doesn't read like it was written by someone from here, but yeah it looks fine to me. At worst he's a newfag and doesn't know he'll get made fun of here for taking the conversation so seriously. I'd imagine he's just used to posting on reddit or some shit where that style of posts probably gets backpats
>>
>>76940686
I think it's great. The more of you nerds are discouraged from world building, the less competition I have.
>>
>>76951819
>defends literal strokeposter¨
>tries desperately to fit in
>makes up retarded analogies to defend his position - "this is how old fags type", "muh university friends"
>doesn't even know what university is
>is probably 15 years old
Fucking kek
>>
>>76951900
>Where I'm from you go to college to get into a trade, uni to get into STEM.
Where are you from? As far as I'm aware, nowhere us like this. We call trade schools trade schools or technical colleges, not just colleges. Certainly I've never heard of a person considering a college education to be different than a university education, because both refer to the same thing, pursuit of a Bachelor's degree.

Some advice for you also, the STEM/trades meme is a meme, the vast majority of college students are pursuing non-STEM degrees in business or the arts. Also underage autism anon maybe revise your future make believe to account for the majority if college students, i.e. women, who have almost no presence in either trades or STEM.
>>
>>76940686
You only need one or two dedicated autists to skew your perception of public opinion on a board, and this is why 4chan cannot function properly without IDs and even then they can be circumvented.
That said people hate original content now. It's getting increasingly common that if you don't follow a brand you're being snobbish or pretentious or "autistic", this is because of the fucking normies who have invaded niche spaces that were usually taken by creative people.
>>
>>76951949
the irony of you saying other people are desperately trying to fit in is palpable
>>
>>76951977
>Where are you from?
Ontario, everyone I know here uses the terms like this. You say you're in college if you're learning a trade and Uni if you're learning a more white collar career.
>>
>>76940686
Is it shilling, or just bait? Hard to tell with this cesspit.
>>
>>76951991
You can believe that if you want anon. I've been posting regularly on /tg/ since 2008

why can't I leave?
>>
>>76952003
>it's a leaf
Autism truly knows no borders. Look, retire gracefully while you still can underage autist leaf anon. And in the future, please understand that pretending to be a separate person from yourself in order to defend your own credibility is not only laughably ineffective but it's also a genuine waste of time as this is an anonymous image board and no one will remembered the embarrassing thing you said was said by you if you just walk away.
>>
>Have actually had people stop the game in the past to just spend a minute or two going 'Man that's really cool'
Best feeling in the world and anyone that bugmans out over homebrewed settings deserves the gruel they consume.
Pic related from discord to silence the /r/thatneverhappened tourists
>>
>>76952092
Stop making gods, make religions
>>
>>76952018
And I've been here since 2006 myself, not /tg/ specifically but 4chan in general. Nearly in my fuckin 30s and still arguing about dumb shit here for no particular reason, /b/ hasn't even been funny for over a decade and /tg/ is the only hobby board I visit where I still actively participate in the hobby since all of the other shit I used to come here to talk about has gotten so fucking lame its not worth the time or effort anymore. I
think other anon made a decent post. I don't think he did anything worth being berated for and I'm fairly certain he's only being dunked on cause he talked about racism and anti-corporatism like a fuckin nerd. His only crime was not caring out the 4chan hivemind and being honest about his opinions, and I'm completely down for more of that. I'm fucking sick to death of zoomers all parroting each other and saying nothing. I would take a million posters like him over another "yikes cringe bro" tier reply from some faggot trying to dunk on someone for liking something or speaking his mind.
He wasn't even wrong either, he just worded it awkwardly.
>>
>>76952101
What is a god but a really powerful thing that people worship?
In this particular case it was a matter of 'I'm a massive cunt and really powerful, everyone worship me or die'
>>
>>76952101
The religion of a world abandoned by gods and left to scavenger pantheons is already implied. Sounds pretty henotheist to me.
>>
>>76952136
not him but his crime was talking against homebrew in a board that thrives in it, not
>racism and anti-corporatism
>>
>>76952178
It didn't read as "Homebrew is bad" to me, so much as "So vehemently basing your personality on being against the mainstream is unhealthy and I'm worried new players may see these arguments and get a bad idea of homebrew in general even though there is really good homebrew out there"
>>
>>76951890
End your existence, seething woyafag.
>>
>>76952136
can we please have a community of 30+ y/os grogs I hate zoomers with every fiber of my being and the 4chan ship has sunk
>>
>>76952254
Jesus said the same thing more eloquently with nothing but a whip.
>>
>>76947277

I single handedly shitpost on /jp/ so hard about "cummy breath" and traps that the board being a fucking cesspool of gay cringe can still be felt years later.
>>
>>76952160
Gods in actual fact are often weak or utterly powerless things, both de facto and de jure. In animistic faiths, which represent the majority of all human religions that have ever existed, gods typically have less power to affect the world than a single person, and only in concert does their activity make a major difference.

Moreover many religions either lack gods outright or treat them as secondary to the function and purpose of the religion.

But the advice I'm giving isn't about that as much as it's about how trite and basic the stories you can tell about gods - about the mythology - are. Deities are in reality much more complex than the silly divine fanclub shit most people think makes for clever homebrew. Religion comes before the god, all cases, all situations, because god is as you loosely imply an assigned trait. A thing is a god when it is treated as a god, and one doesn't treat something as a good without a cosmology which defines gods into being. That cosmology stems from fundamental moral and philosophical questions people have:

What am I? What is the world? Why are some people better off than others? Is doing X thing good? What happens when I die? What should I be doing?

Answer those questions however you like and then you create an order to reality out of it and maybe at the top of your cosmological hierarchy there is some superbeing that you consider worthy of worship, voila that's a god.

In fantasy settings you do have cosmic powers that spawned with the universe or perhaps created it, may run some kind of afterlife, but these Powers aren't gods until someone sees whst they're doing as significant to their religion.
>>
>>76947277
I have seen 1 (one) namefag single-handedly destroy a slower board, not a general, a whole board. It's definitely possible that all this shit is coming from one autist who bought a pass just to shitpost to hell and back. This also explains why janny trannies don't delete their shit.
>>
File: pork.jpg (7 KB, 262x193)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>76952412
>he thinks having a 4chan pass means you won't get banned
>>
>>76940686
You and the rest of the worldbuilders don't play games.
>>
>>76952975
You keep repeating that and keep being wrong.
>>76952926
Seems that nothing much gets banned these days.
>>
>>76941420
>s one poster spamming threads
And that poster is being paid.
Likely by wotc.
>>
>>76940686
>The sudden hatred for worldbuilding and homebrews is a corporate psyop.
You're overthinking. The sudden hatred for worldbuilding is just bait posters trying to rile things up. They can't create anything, so they tear things down to provoke a reaction.
>>
>>76952092
>Discord
>>
>>76953409
That is highly unlikely.
>>
>>76940686
>t. failed writer
Homebrew is almost universally shit. If it were good it'd be published because publishers want to sell things and make money.
>>
>>76953555
What a waste of trips. Why would you assume making money has to be the endpoint of every endeavour you corporate stooge?
>>
>>76953555
maybe I want my stuff to be free and couldn't give less of a shit about money?
>>
>>76946637
"Retard" and "autist" are ableist, "tranny" is transphobic, but still used by TERFs so it's semi-okay. "Nigger" and other such slurs are racist.
You can tell who does and doesn't belong here, because the verbal habits of someone who's avoiding cancellation will reflect that. It's funny, though, because by their own terms, calling out someone for schizophrenia is ableist, yet these self-cannibalizing groups of social justice warriors see it as okay to use. Just like all the other "values" they claim to hold, they'll flip-flop on them as soon as it's convenient for their current argument.
>>
>>76953555
How the fuck could something, no matter how good, be published if only one group ever saw it? For that matter, how could homebrew freely released on the Internet be commercially published? You think publishers can just claim and sell other people's creations if they feel there's money to be made?
>>
>>76941481
>he has been working on his art
Proud of you faggot, keep working on your art
>>
>>76953555
this is the dumbest post I have seen all week

can't tell if average quality bait or if poster is genuinely a moron/underaged
>>
>>76953555
>If it were good it'd be published because publishers want to sell things and make money.
Maybe decades ago. Publishing anything today has more to do with being an established brand or grabbing people by the dick (look at that edgy miniature RPG full of anime porn models, that's 100% of why it sells) than being quality material. It's pretty clear that people have such subhuman taste they only not eat shit because it's established that shit shouldn't be eaten.
>>
>>76953555
As if I'd share my effort with you rather than my friends.

Only a filthy corpo shill would think everything has to be monetised.
>>
>>76954362
it's all bait anyway
anything you reply to on this shithole is bait at this point
it's fucking retarded
>>
>>76940686
We must fight this insidious trend.
I'm going to go make a system and then publish it for free, see you fuckwits in a few months.
>>
>>76949355
Have you considered, even for a second, that grand majority of "hey, deepest lore can work" also assumes you are playing an entire party of outsiders doing an expedition to completely unknown, virgin land and thus the argument falls apart in any other - aka 9 out f 10 - campaigns?
Literally every person that ever defends the deepest lore from player perspective either outs themselves as someone who actually doesn't play OR has an exploration game going, usually as a hex-crawl, too. Cool that it matches your experience, but keep in mind that's a niche, not the general situation
>>
>>76953599
Then publish it yourself, by throwing it into the internet as a non-copyrighted material for free use.
Oh, right, you won't, because people would tell you en masse it's shit, while if you keep it for your group, you can have people taken hostage and force them to play your shit-tier setting
>>
>>76953788
>How could I ever go to any publisher and offer my game
Dunno, anon. Maybe if you had a material that's publishable, rather than bunch of random ideas, you wouldn't need to ask this question?

>>76954424
>t. never did and never will do any work on it
>>
>>76954517
> because people would tell you en masse it's shit
So what? Who gives a shit? I don't do you?
> while if you keep it for your group, you can have people taken hostage and force them to play your shit-tier setting
I bought 20 meters of rope and a .44 just for this, I don't care what you think about my system, if you walk between 9 pm and 11 pm in a city, whose name I won't disclose, you'll play my game.
>>
>>76954540
>You think publishers can just claim and sell other people's creations if they feel there's money to be made
>How could I ever go to any publisher and offer my game
What? That's not what he said.
>>
>>76940686
>The sudden hatred for worldbuilding
It's literally one guy pushing his forced meme.
>>
>>76954703
The worldbuilding shit is legit, too many people just talk about their fucking fetishes on /tg/ with the excuse of worldbuilding. Nothing of worth is ever produced on worldbuilding threads.
>>
>>76954768
read the thread, they are talking about worldbuilding in general
>>
>>76954540
Anon, answer the questions I asked rather than something completely different. The average homebrew setting is something no publisher is ever going to see, since they're just used for their creators' own games. How's a great homebrew setting going to get published if it's never offered to a publisher? My second question was about the abundance of homebrew that's to be found around the Internet. Do you think a company could just decide to steal and commercially publish someone's freely distributed homebrew setting or homebrew supplement if they considered it good?
>>
>>76954810
That's just an extension of the worldbuilding threads faggotry
>>
>>76954856
>My second question was about the abundance of homebrew that's to be found around the Internet. Do you think a company could just decide to steal and commercially publish someone's freely distributed homebrew setting or homebrew supplement if they considered it good?
The answer to this is probably yes. Don't forget you are on 4chan. There are rocks smarter than half the people who post here. These idiots have no idea just how many homebrew settings are floating around the internet.
>>
>>76951531
Whenever I find a trash or psycho thread like this I always scroll back from the recent comments to see if anyone intelligent summarised the thread already. If no one did, I skim it and create one myself, linking to the representative posts ("mass replying" as you call it, which usually refers to troll posts linking as many people as possible for no reason).

>>76951731
>>76952047
Good job demonstrating how relentless your paranoia is. This is my second post ITT.
>>
>>76953507
>Playing online in 2020, the year of the COVID-pocalypse
Yes.
>>
>>76954540
>t. never did and never will do any work on it
I did
Not much but I did some.
>>
>>76941491
>I'd rather use modules
>Which I need to spend time reading so I'm not floundering during the session
>end up spending more time reading the module than you would have just writing your own session
>because you don't want to present an amateurish product to your friends
>then you proceed to DM from a module -- a literal amateurish product
wow

>>76951454
>I don't think basing your identity so strongly against the mainstream (most other people) and consumption (enjoying things) is healthy for the mind, and this thread supports that suspicion.
I don't think you being such a flagrant shill and faggot is healthy for the mind -- if we both shut up, we can both be happy.
>It seems to result in a simultaneous feeling of elitism/purity over everyone else
Only people like you, after they say some yee yee shit like this
>So I think this thread is sadly turning people away from even the legitimate and conservative use of homebrew
Don't say "legitimate" like you're an authority on things. It's unseemly.
>>
We had a small discussion about "is everyone the same shitposter". Obviously not, but this poster >>76951454 is the same shitposter that made these threads >>76947186. Same posting style, word choice, and he conveniently arrives to the thread around the time that his last bait thread falls off the board
>>
>>76955426
>Hatred for homebrew
>not a word against ERP
weeb trannies and furries are the ERPfags who post the shitty worldbuilding threads
reminder that coomers are a literal cult
>>
>>76956456
What does ERP have to do with homebrew and worldbuilding?
>>
>>76956659
It's the same people. They are not interested in playing the fucking games, they just want to wank. All worldbuilding threads end up boiling down to fetish shit and that's the only reason why they're made.
>>
>>76956689
Is that true of all worldbuilding threads or just the ones you get mad at? I can't say I've had the same experience and it's usually plain as day when something is fetish shit, meaning it can be hidden and ignored.
>>
>>76956726
Worldbuilding threads that are not fetish shit just die off, so yes all worldbuilding threads that actually take up real estate on this board are fetish shit. And even the clean ones are made by the same wankers, I guess between wanking sessions.
>>
>>76940686
They don't hate homebrew yours is just bad.
>>
>>76955112
>being a sheep and going into hiding from a virus with a 99% survival rate, with pretty much everyone who died either suffering from pre-existing illness, being too old, or being too young
>thinking it's still 2020
>>
>>76956818
>the year changed, covid is over now
Do you have object permanence?
>>
>>76940686
Don't most companies actively encourage homebrewing?? I mostly play PF, D&D, DCC, and CoC, and I've only ever seen support for homebrewing from those companies.
>>
>>76953555
>Homebrew is almost universally shit
projecting
>If it were good it'd be published because publishers want to sell things and make money
Are...are you implying Tasha's is good?
>>
File: file.png (3.15 MB, 1280x1433)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB PNG
>>76953555
>Only that with fiscal value is good
Yes, yes. Feed me more.
>>
>>76956759
Kind of doubt this unless your definition of "fetish setting" is anything that includes a hint of fan service.

Gloria-Etalia is a homebrew kitchen sink fantasy setting developed by anons last fall, it has 200+ pages on a wikia. It is mostly alt-history, fantasy cliches, and random spitballed ideas with less sexual content than your typical corporate approved official setting.

Damnatum Lutum was a 40k worldbuilding exercise that ran through most of 2019. It is mostly 40k memes mixed with legit worldbuilding with only some oblique references to mature content.

Plenty of others like them over the years.
>>
>>76957510
You're talking to him like he's someone from this board, to me he clearly isn't.
>>
>>76953555
Protip: Nearly every setting is someones homebrew
Bleach? Homebrew
Naruto? Homebrew
One Piece? Homebrew.
Every shonen is someones homebrew procedurally generated that publishers took a gamble on based on a handful of chapters, basically.
And look at how many little nerds want to play in X anime setting.
>>
>>76957617
Honestly citing Naruto and other shonenshit only proves that anon's point
>>
>>76948304
That's why I am so wary about homebrew. 95~98% of the time it's some baseless, over the top cringe shit that's ridiculously and retardedly powergamed to death.
>>
>>76958068

>Isaac Asimov's Foundation
Homebrew
>Dune
Homebrew
>Middle Earth
Homebrew
>the Bible
Homebrew

>wait, it's all homebrew?
alwayshasbeen.astronauts
>>
>>76958361
>>the Bible
>Homebrew

Does that make the people who wrote the Torah seething corporate shills and the people who wrote the Quran people trying to make a shitty hack of someone's homebrew for a purpose that doesn't fit it?
>>
>>76958432
>Torah
Original homebrew setting. Something like Tekumel.
>Bible
A new product that's clearly inspired by the original (Torah) but with other influences (Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism, Neo-Platonism, et cetera). This is Dungeons & Dragons.
>Quran
This is something that *claims* to be inspired by the Bible, but which actually ends up being closer to the Torah. I dunno... maybe Morrowind?
>>
>>76958432
No, it's just all more homebrew.

>"Your theory that the source material for religious homebrew is religious consoomerism has a very convincing ring to it, Mr. Anon, but it's wrong. I've got a better theory," said the little old lady.
>"And what is that, madam?" inquired Mr. Anon politely.
>"That everything is homebrew."
>Not wishing to demolish this absurd little theory by bringing to bear the masses of literary critique and professionalism he had at his command, Anon decided to gently dissuade his opponent by making her see some of the inadequacies of her position.
>"If your theory is correct, madam," he asked, "what was this homebrew based on?"
>"You're a very clever man, Mr. Anon, and that's a very good question," replied the little old lady, "but I have an answer to it. And it's this: The first homebrew stands on the back of a previous, far larger, homebrew, who stands directly under it."
>"But what does this second homebrew stand on?" persisted Anon patiently.
>To this, the little old lady crowed triumphantly,
>"It's no use, Mr. Anon —it's homebrew all the way down."
>>
>>76958566
>which actually ends up being closer to the Torah
You don't know anything about the Quran.
>>
>>76946574
When corporate shills started getting noticed and needed a cheap retort.
>>
>>76958432
The Talmud is the awful "Official" corporate approved setting.
>>
>>76952335
based cringeposter
>>
>>76958432
Yes
>>
>>76948304
>thinks there can't be bad writers on staff
usually cooperate think tanks create the most bland and unoriginal product possible
>>
>>76960002

That stuff also makes the most money.
>>
>try to make a homebrew setting
>player throws some random race from some supplemental I haven't considered in my setting
>now I either have to shoehorn the race into the setting, wave it away for the sake of the game, or deny him
3 out of 5 of my players chose races from Mythos, I ended up just allowing them from some nebulous far off land for the sake of getting the game started.
>>
>>76960885
I feel you man, that's why I've started saying what races/classes are available before allowing them to make characters to prevent shit like that
>>
>>76960885
I usually just set aside some space on my map for nations that my players create for whatever backgrounds they come up with for their characters.

Sometimes the "worldbuilding phase" ends up being longer than the "campaign phase".
>>
>>76940686
I hate "worldbuilding" on /tg/ because it's pointless nerd posturing and/or circlejerking to fetishes done be people who aren't even in games and have likely played nothing outside D&D. Pussies like >>76960885 are a great example, crying about how his masterpiece must be changed because someone dared to play a race he didn't write into his failed novel pitch.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.