[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Optional edition

Previous GURPS >>76788238

>GURPS is a modular, adaptable system, capable of running a wide range of characters, settings, and play styles with level of detail varying from lightweight to completely autistic.
>Optional rules allow you to emulate different genres with a single system, even switching genres within a single game.

It's a new PDF, with details of the new archive, full of GURPS, both new and old. Save it.

Thread question: which optional rules do you think are best for giving the feel of specific genres?
>>
>>76913906
>Thread question
GURPS as a whole has a very 80s-90s flavor.
I think Action is the winner, because it doubles down on that and consistently delivers the feel of the 90s action movie (or 90s-00s action anime an videogames).
With Tactical Shooting strapped on top you can also do some of those "gritty" war or crime movies we got in the 90s-00s as well.
>>
>>76913997
>Action rule
Also monster hunter rules are good for supernatural investigation games like Dark Heresy for example.

On a sidenote, how useful do you guys find high ST in games without lots of low-tech? I think it's pretty useful in most situations outside of having battlesuits or cybersuits.
>>
>>76914371
Extremely useful if there are not exosuits as you said.
I've had my modern-day characters aim for ST14 just as often as those from the bronze age. Exception is if the GM allows Lifting ST to be taken to represent our characters getting used to carrying tons of armor and gear.
>>
File: path book magic.png (45 KB, 937x325)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>
>>76914371
20 ST/HP is my goal for any character that uses melee or fun guns.
High Tech makes melee extra BS, with ballistic shields giving you +4 to defense rolls.
Combine that with gunslinger and you can have a guy covered from head to toe in ballistic armor, with a shield in one hand and an FN BAR Magnum or any other cheese gun in the other hand so long as it's ST 10† or lower.
And if you want to push your ST to something like 22, congrats now you can carry the FG42 which is the best over all gun in HT.
>>
File: King-&-Country-wallpaper.jpg (521 KB, 1600x1200)
521 KB
521 KB JPG
>>76913906
Question; what do you guys do when one of the PCs inevitably gets injured seriously? When there is no magic or super TL that can just put him back on his feet right away. Also in campaigns when fighting is common place, and it isn't one dramatic occasion in a generally non-violent game.
>Never do that and always have magic or some super TL stuff to put them back if they don't die in a fight?
>Always have a resident healer character to speed things up?
>Have backup characters be rolled while the PCs decide to leave their comrade at home while he heals? (Which could be weeks, which could be a dozen session in turn)
>Just timeskip till he is okay again?
>Just let the players worried about the injuries?
In that case, I am worried that the sessions will devolve into babysitting the injured comrade till he heals, and in turn getting more people hurt restarting the cycle.
>>
>>76916297
This definitely feels like an "it depends on the setting, very heavily"

But mostly it depends on the campaign style and players ability to accomodate challenges

I'd imagine, in a game where tacticool operators operate operationally, a broken a just means a chance to show off one armed bandit shotguns and knee tuck reloads.

In Conan, a broken leg definitely signals a chapter change, where civilization is sought to back away from the threat and devise a new thread of attack.

And in slice of life Manhattan drama? Once the cast is on, you just have interaction fodder for all NPC interactions, and the guy with pitiable reaps the benefits
>>
>>76916297
If it's a campaign where combat is often and no easy HP source, then it's also a campaign where travel from point A to B will take a few days, somebody will pick medic or face enough party wipes till they learn somebody needs to be a medic, and I am also usually willing to do things like 1 HP extra healed if a day takes a session.
>>
>>76916297
In a no/low-magic game, I push my heavy combatant PCs into taking Very Rapid Healing before they take High Pain Threshold or even Combat Reflexes specifically to help with this issue; if they're rolling HT+5 to recover 2 HP/day, the PC should be relatively mobile after a week a most (unless you're in the same boat as Alchemist-kun from the last thread and your warriors are regularly ending fights at -21 HP or some insane shit).

With or without VRH, though, my group usually defaults to downtime until the PC is sufficiently healed. The other PCs can work their trade, do some crafting, stockpile resources with Fishing/Survival, and have minor RP scenes during this.
>>
>>76916297
I just let my players handle it, but I generally try to have a couple of backup PCs for when one character has to do something away from the rest of the group. I've never known my group to not take at least one healer.
>>
>>76916297
Having a mundane healer helps but their real value is making sure you don't die from your wounds. Getting you back on your feet faster is just a side benefit. As noted, rapid/very rapid healing is very valuable in such settings. If the pace of healing is too slow for you, I advise you to talk to your GM about allowing low levels of regeneration as a cinematic ability.

I usually advise against babysitting pcs. Get them to safety and then do a time skip if allowable. If it isn't, introduce a one-shot character for the player of the wounded character to play. The new guy goes away when a time skip is available.

Finally, don't be afraid to retire a character is a very low-tech setting. Seriously, if you're playing a historical roman game and the warrior loses the use of his limbs, it's time to let that character go. Unless you want shift genres of course by introducing a mage who will heal them in return for fulfilling a request.
>>
I am putting all the skills in an excel sheet and divide them by the groups of GURPS Skill Categories. Because a fucking PDF is not too helpful in listing your players what skills your campaign will and will not use.
Should I put all the Categories in one column, or each category should have its own?
Please say the former, I am done with half the categories in this way
>>
What's the Powers way to bring people back to life? I know there's a spell but how do you so with just advantages?
>>
>>76918097
Can a skill be in more than one category?
If not, then just having a 'category' column seems fine. You can sort data by that column, no problem.
Otherwise, you need a solution for picking out all the skills in a category, and the obvious (I don't know Excel, so there might be a better way) method is to have each category as a column and tag it 'true' or 'false'.
>>76918150
I believe it is 'Affliction (Extra Life; Cosmic, time spanning)'.
>>
>>76918097
>one column
Excel have Filter, that can show/hide elements
>>
>>76918150
Affliction (Extra Life: Cosmic, Retroactive), which costs either the user or the target 25 points depending on the setting.
-OR-
Affliction (Unkillable 2: Cosmic, Retroactive; Regeneration), which requires the target heal past a certain point before the affliction ends. If they heal enough to be alive by time Unkillable wears off--I think past 0 HP, but maybe to full--they're good to go again; if not, they stay dead.

IIRC those are the two ways shown in Powers: Divine Favor. I'm sure I'm misremembering something, and I know there were other modifiers to make them more balanced, but I don't have my books with me on this machine so I can't just copy+paste them in.
>>
>>76918097
>doing this shit manually
Wtf, anon, GCS already have most of the data you'd want for your table. Are you html autist?
>>
>>76918956
I want an editable list where I can tell my players what skills are going to be used in the campaign and what are not. This way I don't have to make very specific templates. Something that I can just post in a forum or roll20 when I am recruiting people.
Is there a way to ctrl-copy a list from CGS? Last I checked there were only pdfs, that are troublesome to display on some sites. I am all ears if there is an easier way, doing this is pain in the ass.
>>
>>76918956
Don't you think the HTMLfaggot would make it in HTML (with Javascript), not in Excel? Don't ask stupid questions.
>>
>>76919248
https://www47.zippyshare.com/v/lDwhnPOZ/file.html
Here are the lists I made at some point, but never bothered to manually clean up. It's CSV with | as separator, you should be able to just open it in excel and it will ask you how to process the data.
>>
>>76919492
Thanks, but it is forbidden.
>>
>>76919769
What do you mean forbidden?
>>
>>76919795
Error 403
>>
>>76919863
Weird.
>4chan thinks any other links I post are spam
Fucking hell.
>vola
>1h8tfcqnr
>>
>>76914371
Bigger numbers are always useful, but I'm not sure if ST 14 is worth as much as DX 12 in a modern-day setting.
>>
File: devilish.jpg (53 KB, 500x567)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>character is worth 50 points
>spend 40 points on an Ally worth 75 points
>build the Ally
>he spends 40 points on an Ally worth 112 points
>build the Ally's Ally
>he spends 40 points on an Ally worth 168 points

guys I think I broke GURPS
>>
>>76914371
Honestly I don't find high stats that useful a lot of the time, they are expensive for the rate of return in my experiences.
I usually go for what just feels organic with the kind of character I want to play.
>>
>>76922188
Allies are
>NPCs, who can not buy Allies
>Created by the GM
>Not played by players
So even if you could do it, all you would be achieving is being the guy who knows someone who knows someone cool. Playing the cool guy's distant acquaintance isn't actually that great.
>>
>>76922402
I wasn't even going to dignify that with an answer, but they forgot the most important rule. Even if that was RAW legal the GM can, and should, just tell you no.
You can break gurps plenty of ways, that isn't even the most insane.
>>
>>76922450
>You can break gurps plenty of ways
What are some of the more mundane ways?
>>
>>76922509
This absurd thing comes to mind
>Toxic Attack 1 point (Affects Insubstantial, +20%; Area Effect, 2475880078570760549798248448 yards (about 74 gigaparsecs), +4550%; Cosmic, Irresistible attack, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Rapid Fire, RoF 300, +300%; Selective Area, +20%; Underwater, +20%) [53].

Signature gear nuclear weapons/nerve agents/mechs/tanks/other dumb shit.

If you try hard enough you will break the game, and the GM should tell you no.
>>
>>76922571
Okay, let's assume a game with no superpowers or exotic advantages. Is there anything noticeably unbalanced?
>>
Has anybody here run a hardcore post-apocalypse game? What optional rules did you use? How did it go?
>>
>>76922614
At high point values, you could take various highly specialized, ultra loyal and reliable allies, and end up being far more effective than other characters with the same value, without needing awkward ally chains
>>
>>76922614
TL 7 15k
Nerve gas is 20$/dose.
One point of Signature gear gets you 75 uses of nerve gas that replenish every 'adventure'.
Ten doses covers an entire 4 yard area so for 50 points you can get 3750 doses, this converts to 4713.75 Square Yards of area of effect which is enough to kill a lot of people.
If you don't care about free refresh, then multiply the doses and area by five.
Or for 47 points you can buy a t72 with its full complement of ammunition as signature gear
>>
File: 16104666599710.jpg (135 KB, 805x960)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>76923282
>One point of Signature gear gets you 75 uses of nerve gas that replenish every 'adventure'.
Wait, can you spend Signature Gear on consumables in the first place? Even then, since it's signature gear, everyone will immediately know it was your Novichok that killed all these people and you will be slapped by economical sanctions.
>>
>>76923363
>Wait, can you spend Signature Gear on consumables in the first place?
You can it just costs five times as much $ to buy stuff that is consumable.
>>
>>76923363
>>76923282
Gizmo and Security clearance

Et voila

La bombe's nefarious cousin, Le Feu
>>
>>76922614
Gear and everything that gives you access to it. Notably, guns and explosives are very scary, especially combined with decent skill. If violence can solve a problem, anyone who uses high-tech weapons has a huge advantage over anyone who doesn't. If you try to melee a guy with a rifle, expect him to pull a Rittenhouse on you.
Money, which not only gives you better gear, but lets you buy your way through a lot of problems.
Combat Reflexes and Luck (assuming you don't consider luck to be exotic) are extremely good value. Kromm has said this is intentional because those are the main advantages that distinguish between PCs and ordinary people.
Allies massively increase the group's power even if they don't make your PC more capable.
Being able to play reach games can be very good in tactical combat. Notably, Move 11 (2 yard step) and a Reach 2 sword allows you to be almost untouchable by slower opponents in melee if you have freedom to move.
Medium shields are possibly the best value items in the game at low tech-levels. +2 to all defences is brilliant.
IQ. Extremely good value for the points if you aren't playing a mostly-combat game.
Per. The best part of IQ. Combine very high Per with Detect Lies and Search and you will bust through most investigation challenges with ease.
Being genre optimised in general. Putting all your points into the thing you know is going to be central to the game will result in being very effective.
GURPS tends to have more 'waste of points' traps than 'incredible effectiveness' exploits and most of them are exotic or cinematic.
It does suffer a bit from having some 'optimal build' issues. Mages with IQ 15 and Magery 2. Pistols in .40S&W. Warriors with ST 13 (two dice swing) or 17 (3 dice). Katanas, longswords and edged rapiers for the best reach. Medium shields rather than small or large ones. You aren't crippling your character if you don't take them, but you will be maybe doing 5-10% less than someone who did.
>>
File: choomah.jpg (9 KB, 220x217)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>GURPS hi tech says mortars are an "IQ-5" skill, but also says the skill to use them is Cannon
>GURPS lite says cannon is a DX/easy skill

So, which is it, and what does the "-5" mean in this context?
>>
>>76923282
Poison in general is pretty fucking good in GURPS. Notably, adding a grain of cyanide to a hollow-point pistol bullet turns it from dangerous to downright deadly. It isn't especially expensive and while it is illegal in many places and times, you could probably cook it up in a home lab. Expect to get law enforcement coming for you hard though if you don't clean up your mess.
>>
>>76923834
Artillery (Cannon) is a different skill to Gunner (Cannon). Artillery is based on IQ and used for indirect fire (which is what mortars do) while Gunner is used for direct fire.
(IQ-5) is the default value for Artillery skill. The top of the weapon table lists all the things you can roll against to use that weapon. In the case of mortars this is 'Artillery (Cannon)' or '(IQ-5)'. Some weapons can be used with more than one skill or have more complicated defaults.
>>
>>76913906
How good is GURPS for running skirmish scale wargames? I'm thinking of something like Frostgrave or Inquisimunda. Could something like this be achieved with the GURPS ruleset?
>>
>>76924045
>skirmish scale
So every unit is its own person and you aren't moving around a squad as a whole, right? Sorry, but that seems to be the wargaming term with the loosest definition so I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.

It could work, I guess, but you'd need to change so much to make it run smoothly I doubt it'll be worth the effort. Maybe abstract the attack vs active defense system into a regular contest of skill with each exchange being another rolloff. I'd ditch the HP system entirely in favor of a simplified Conditional Injury system to avoid having to track a bunch of different HP pools. No more hit locations except in special circumstances because that much complexity is the enemy when you're looking to run that many combatants.

One issue is that wargames with firearms often significantly scale back the range of most weapons. On a standard 4'x4' table where 1"=1yd, shooting from one corner to the opposite is less than the 1/2D range of most pistols in GURPS, to say nothing of actual rifles. Range penalties will build up, but you are never going to be outside of a gun's max range.
>>
>>76924045
GURPS is way too detailed and slow for more than a handful of combatants using the tactical combat system and its points values are balanced for an RPG not a wargame (and even then not very balanced).
>>
>>76923588
Okay, so GURPS is unbalanced. Is it the fun kind of unbalanced, or the unfun kind?
>>
File: GooseLoose.jpg (167 KB, 1280x960)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Want to do an Autoduel or Autoduel-esque campaign inspired by the first Mad Max movie where the PCs are the last few Highway Patrolmen in some far flung frontier town in the US. Not post-apocalyptic, but the civilized world is barely held together around them and they have little to no outside support... or accountability.
>>
>>76923975
Thanks. Does the basic set have all these skills listed? GURPS lite sure doesn't.
>>
>>76922571
That isn't even legal. It uses enhancements that can't stack with each other.
>>
>>76924645
Neither. GURPS balance issues aren't particularly fun to abuse, but don't make the game unfun either
>>
>>76924645
It's the kind you honestly don't notice in play, because nobody actually tracks their performance that accurately and it is overshadowed by roleplaying, real-life luck, real-life smarts, and role diversity anyway.
>>
>>76924903
Yes, the Basic Set has pretty much the complete skill list (only exceptions are weird things like psionic power control skills, some cinematic martial arts stuff, new magic skills, and very setting-specific ones). Lite has a very limited list of skills and other traits, because the full list is extremely long.
>>76924877
Seems viable. You've got all the tools you need in the basic set, although the Action 2 chase rules might be a good option.
>>
>>76913906
I need some enjoyable but bad adventure modules, preferably with premade characters, I can convert to GURPS for my group. Any recommendations? I already have that D&D one with the Yeti and the "automatically take 1d6 of goat damage."
>>
>>76925484
Journey to Barrier Peaks
>>
Is Alternate GURPS grappling one of those alternate rules that are just better or no?
>>
>>76927626
To add on to this, what alternate rules are objective improvements?
>>
>>76927671
Alternate Gun Skill Categories and the DF slam rework come immediately to mind.
>>
How does GURPS represent Hive Minds and the like?
>>
>>76927671
Armor as Dice + Glancing Blows. It's more realistic, makes armor more reliable, and strongly discourages "keep swinging until you overcome DR" tactics; the only downside you can argue it having is that it's a bit clunky at lower TLs where DR normally sits in the 1-2 range if the character has any at all, but even then it pleases three very distinct camps of people, so I say it's as close to "objective improvement" as you're going to get.
>>
File: ounvj9q0xct11.png (73 KB, 737x705)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>76927889
What sort of hivemind we talking here?

Using the picture's less-than-perfect definitions as an example, Overminds have a large pool of Allies+Puppets, Possession (Telecontrol), and oodles of Compartmentalized Mind. Consensus hiveminds can be as simple as a racial Telesend with tons of range, letting all members communicate with each other at all times; Selfless would also fit as a racial disadvantage. Hierarchs work like the Overmind but offload some of the cost on their underlings--rather than buying 125 Allies+Puppets, it buys 5 Allies+Puppets, and each of those have 5 Allies+Puppets too, and each of THOSE have 5... and so on--not unlike >>76922188 really.

Merged Mind is the only tough one, possibly because I'm not understanding it. The example seem less like "hivemind" and more "gains intelligence as it consumes biomass." That can't really be done with GURPS because there's no advantage that lets you grow an attribute arbitrarily high. You can do something like "IQ+4, Only after consuming a brain" but that has a definite ceiling and you've got to pay ahead of time. I guess you could go with a perk like Biomass Accumulator [1] that lets you spend any bonus points you've saved up immediately whenever you gorge yourself on sentient life.
>>
>>76928180
The merged mind is a hive mind that grows more intelligent the more brains there are connected to it. So it's basically an intelligence network, lots of individually small and weak minds join up in a collective to make a single, highly effective mind.

I think Psionic Powers has something similar in it. I thinks it's called Gestalt or something, a bunch of weak psionics team up to be better.
>>
>>76925484
What do you mean by "bad"?

I am almost through running Deep Carbon Observatory. It is probably my favorite module hands down though.
>>
If the government provides you with a second identity for civilian life, is this Alternate Identity (Legal)?
>>
>>76930501
Seems pretty straightforward. What part of the writeup is confusing?
>>
>>76930501
Yes, I'd say so.
>>
How effective is wrestling for superheroes in GURPS? Is piledriving a giant robot into the ground generally a good idea?
>>
>>76932664
Wrestling can be plenty effective. It'll be slower than Judo because you can't establish a grapple with a Parry nor can you immediately toss someone with Judo Throw, but you can definitely bring the hurt with Wrestling. You'll also lag behind super-powered weapon users in terms of raw injury (swing damage with the Weapon Master's +2 damage per die and a cutting-type weapon is hard to beat in a normal game, let alone one where they have 30+ ST), so make sure you make use of other aspects of wrestling like chokes, locks, and pins.

As for Piledriver, it has a more unwieldy setup that other wrestling moves, but hitting the skull without penalty is a significant bonus, and thrust+2 at +4/die (+2/die normally, and assuming Wrestling at DX+2 or better for an additional +2/die) is phenomenal, more than bridging the thr-sw gap.
>>
>>76928180
There is a rule in Zombies (I think) to represent a zombie horde acting smarter the larger it is. That's kind of similar to the Merged Mind
>>
>>76932664
Wrestling with Technique Adaptation (Judo Throw) and Combinaion (Wrestling Grapple/Torso+0 -> Judo Throw/Neck-6) is sick shit

>>76933229
Decreased IQ (Mitigator, Horde, -60%)
>>
>>76932664
Much better than punching for super-strong characters. Several techniques allow you to inflict swing damage with a decent per-die bonus or damage based on margin of victory in a contest of ST.
>>
>>76927626
I prefer Fantastic Dungeon Grappling, but yes A New Take on Grappling is still pretty damn good. It's an improvement over Basic's grappling (which compared to That Other System's is still fine).
>>
How much would it change Infinite Worlds if I made Infinity and Centrum mature TL9? I'm even think about making Centrum Late TL9 since they seem to embrace cybernetics to large degree.
>>
If a setting has a split TL, for example, 7+4, do I give my players starting wealth for TL 7 or TL 11
>>
>>76934880
Usually the total, since that implies technology as good as standard TL 11 but with a different 'path' to getting there.
However, if the +4 is only for certain aspects of technology, you should probably reduce the effective TL for starting wealth purposes because there isn't a general increase in productivity, only in certain sectors (where workers will probably have better personal wealth).
Likewise, if the social structure of your setting is meant to resemble a certain period of history, you can just have wealth reflect the base TL, not the improved one. For example, most steampunk settings are TL 6+1 or even 6+2 but still have Victorian-style slums, shoeless urchins, etc.
>>
>>76934805
Not a lot. They might be a little less paranoid about exploring more advanced worlds, but not much, because the basic problems of surveillance still apply. They already have some access to technology which is above TL9, so you're not really opening up any weirdness.
>>
File: kou461052.jpg (87 KB, 600x600)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
I was searching through the archives for more info on cybernetics and biotech, is the GURPS: Biotech and Ultratech books good supplementary material to get a better understanding of the two types of technology?
>>
>>76935942
Bio-tech, yes, ultra-tech, no. BT has a lot of general information about realistic biotechnology, but UT is only really a gear catalogue.
>>
>>76935942
Bio-Tech is a solid all-around book for anything related to biologic or medical technology. Gene therapy, anesthetics and surgery, viruses and vaccines, living gadgets, and yes radical biomods like grafting a lamprey mouth into your palm or whatever.

Ultra-Tech is a decent starting point for cybernetics, but as a whole the book is kind of lacking; it was one of the earliest books for 4e and was kind of rushed, so it isn't as high quality as other splats. After browsing the section on cybernetics and uploading, I strongly recommend reading Live Better with Cybernetics, an article from Pyramid #3/51 Tech & Toys III. While Ultra-Tech has a catalog of cybernetics, LBwC goes into rules for stating up new ones.
>>
>>76936113
>4e and was kind of rushed, so it isn't as high quality as other splats
Is it missing stuff? What's wrong with it?
>>
>>76936061
>BT has a lot of general information about realistic biotechnology, but UT is only really a gear catalogue.
Oh okay thank god at least one of them is good learning material. Thank you!
>>76936113
>Gene therapy, anesthetics and surgery, viruses and vaccines, living gadgets, and yes radical biomods like grafting a lamprey mouth into your palm or whatever.
Whew, I'm getting really excited for this book then, gene therapy is one of the topics that I've read in some sci-fi books and it's really got me hooked ever since they introduced the idea of rewarding people with genetic optimizations.
>I strongly recommend reading Live Better with Cybernetics, an article from Pyramid #3/51 Tech & Toys III. While Ultra-Tech has a catalog of cybernetics, LBwC goes into rules for stating up new ones.
Got it, thank you so much! I'm just gathering a bunch of reading material to binge.
>>
>>76936237
Bear in mind that LBwC is almost entirely about how to represent cybernetics in game terms, not real-world information.
Bio-Tech has a bibliography section and although I haven't checked I bet most or all of the books in the non-fiction section will be on Library Genesis.
>>
>>76936178
A lot of key things in there are nearly 1:1 ports of 3e entries with minimal updating, which means a book published in 2007 has some mid-90s jank in it. The invisibility surface is the prime example for this, since it's a pile of not-quite-right modifiers with a lot of side-cases and situational penalties; in short, it's not very "modern" feeling in terms of game design. There are some issues like what you mentioned, but they've all been covered by the errata while the things most people bitch about here are deeper and require a more serious rewriting.

Also, 4e really embraced being a generic and universal system to a much greater degree than earlier editions, and while Ultra-Tech pays some lip service to it in the first chapter where it talks about divergent technology paths, it really is only interested in presenting a specific vision of the future where weapons technology has all but outpaced defensive technology and so the actual race is between stealth tech and sensors tech. It's not the worst assumption you can make about tech in the future, but it means that 4e Ultra-Tech requires serious tinkering to be useful in different types of sci-fi settings.
>>
>>76936378
>Bear in mind that LBwC is almost entirely about how to represent cybernetics in game terms, not real-world information.
That's completely fine!
>Bio-Tech has a bibliography section
Wow that's neat as hell, thank you again anonbro.
>>
In the future, everyone will be obese and ugly due to our modern dysgenic culture.

Should Unattractive [-4] and Fat [-3] be the default in a near-future game?
>>
>>76938092
The future society will probably treat plastic surgery as more mundane (not necessarily cheaper but a high priority, maybe even under getting the newest phone) so not Unattractive. A lower HT would fit better for that Sex Appeal penalty. I'd consider a level of anti-Lifting ST too.
If you're running wall-e count me in bro.
>>
>>76938378
If only I was running Wall-E.

I guess you are right about the attractiveness thing, though. It's entirely possible that people will get more facially attractive over time, even though they're all obese.
>>
I want to run a gurps campaign but i don't know what genre I want to play wtf
>>
>>76939540
Save yourself a bit of work and go with one of the ready-made genre series. That narrows it down to Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters, After the End, Action and Steampunk.
Dungeon Fantasy is boring, so discard that.
Monster Hunters is a huge pain to manage everything, so probably not worth it unless you are strongly drawn to the genre (and if you were, you wouldn't be having a dilemma).
So that narrows it down to AtE, SP and Action. Of the three, SP requires more work on a setting unless you go with a pre-made one. The only really good, fleshed out one is Blood in the Craters (Horror), which is what I'd recommend.
AtE needs less work on a setting but still quite a bit. Time of the Zombies (Zombies: Day One) is probably the easiest way to do it.
Action doesn't really need a setting, just a premise. Pick a reason for heroes to work together and go kick ass.
>>
>be me, idly paging through Pyramid vol. 3 issues
>notice an article called "The Thrill of the Chase" in issue 112
>it's an extension to the chase rules in Action 2
>it does not include any reference to the other extension ("Dogfight Action!" in issue 53)
>neither of those extensions is referenced on the webpage for Action 2 (unlike the comprehensive list of Pyramid articles provided on the webpage for Spaceships--pic related)
Sigh.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 KB, 342x47)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
>>76941181
(Reminder: HTMLfaggot's "In These Issues" file allows you to run an easy Ctrl-F for all these Pyramid articles.)
>>
>>76941181
Holy shit, why have I never looked at this?!
>>
File: 1605128100205.png (1.79 MB, 1024x818)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
Anyone looking for a game?
>>76939540
Isn't that kind of the whole point of Infinite Worlds?
>>
>>76944529
Protip

This image sent me into the spiral of the medieval world under the surface of Worth, in Shattered Worlds
>>
>>76945402
I'm not sure I follow, google doesn't seem to lead me towards anything. Are you talking about a particular sourcebook or something?
>>
>>76945814
Balth runs a GURPS game called Shattered Worlds on like Roll20 or something, and he regularly graces us with storytiem
>>
Can you have players buy genetic engineering templates with money without also spending points?

Like, let's say the players come across a dude that can shove them in a vat and give them +1 DX and HT. Going by Bio-Tech 65 that would cost $55,000. Could a player pay for this without also needing to pay the 30 points for the added stats? Sorry if this is a dumb question, still very new to this.
>>
>>76946143
Oh, well I'm very come-and-go around here.
>>
>>76946344
It's cool, everyone starts somewhere.

To answer your question: it's up to you. Whether you should charge cash, points, or both boils down to what you think would be the most fair or appropriate for the game you're running. I ran a cyberpunk game and only charged money for cybernetics because cash is king in a cyberpunk setting and taking risky jobs to afford better 'ware is something I wanted to promote. Alternatively, in a modern-day supers game where the cybernetics are just another source of special abilities--essentially a background element no different from "nuclear waste exposure" or "is an alien"--then points would be the best take because all supers buy their abilities with points. Requiring cash AND points is best if you want to avoid rampant cyberization in the party or otherwise direct PC growth.
>>
>>76946578
Okay, cool. I'm trying to encourage rampant cyberization, so money it is.
>>
>>76945402
Jfc, Airth, not worth

Fucking phoneposting
>>
If I was playing a weeb as fuck game and I wanted to jump off a roof and stab my enemy with my sword, how would I represent that?

Would the collision be added to the impaling damage from the sword? Or something else? Would they be different? Or some horrible combination thereof?

I'm looking for any answer, from extra realistic GURPS to cinematic. I've just been pouring over basic trying to figure it out and maybe that's why I've missed it, but I dunno how to represent it. I've even looked up falling stalactites and not gotten much out of it.

pls help /GURPSgen/
>>
>>76947504
>High detail on phonepost so no page references.
>Attack roll
Your technique is Attack from Above, which is on both Campaigns (special combat chapter, on melee rules) and Martial Arts (I think). You take -2 and the target has to roll perception to even get a defense roll (with a penalty I think.)
>Damage
On GURPS Martial Arts, the Move and Attack Maneuver can replace the thrust damage with slam damage, you still add weapon bonus + weapon master. Slam damage dice is (HP*Velocity)/100. Velocity is not move in this case. Look at Campaigns on the injury chapter for the velocity you have at certain distances. You use that number and multiply it by your HP, then divide all that by 100 to get the number of dice for your thrust. With what's left you add...
>1d-3 if it's 0.25 or less.
>1d-2 if it's 0.50 or more
>1d if it's 0.75 or more.
In anime your sword won't break so all good because I don't know that shit. Maybe return the damage to your sword using the enemy slam or something.
>>
>>76947856
*for the velocity you have at certain fall distances.
>>
obligatory
>phoneposting
Thank you, anon, I'll look into this right now.
>>
>>76947875
meant towards
>>76947856
>>
Details on the third kickstarter issue.

Sci-Fi/Tech - Articles at Launch

Reign of Action — Roger Burton West [how to use GURPS Action with GURPS Reign of Steel]
Space Zombies! — J. Edward Tremlett [a new type of "zombies" for spacefaring campaigns]
The Murrinres Portals — Jason Brick [a campaign framework/device to allow travel between worlds]
Sci-Fi/Tech - Stretch Goal Articles

Lord Kelvin's Icebox — Matt Wehmeier [an alternate Earth — post-apocalyptic]
Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes — Sean Punch [expansion of article from Pyramid #3/2 — crazy games/sports in sci-fi settings]
The Divine Pacific Republic of Datastan — Matt Riggsby [ready-to-use cyberpunk locale]
More Options for Metatronic Generators — Christopher R. Rice [expansion of new rules option for a Pyramid issue]
Ghost Planets — J. Edward Tremlett [ready-to-use locales for spacefaring campaigns]
The Toughest Race in the Solar System — Carolyn Ivy Stein and Steve Stein [framework for how to do a "space race"]
Mind Over Time — Aleksei Isachenko [new time-related options for GURPS Psionics]
Putting Science in Your Fiction — Sean Punch [rules for increasing scientific knowledge in GURPS]
>>
File: Cyberhorse.pdf (33 KB, PDF)
33 KB
33 KB PDF
>>76913906
Any guidelines of building custom creatures and pricing them?
Statting stuff for Vampire Hunter D, and got this cyberhorse made from the template of the War Horse, with some Meta Traits and Disadvantages added/removed, HT and Basic Move increased. And not sure how to price it.
Maybe find an equivalent vehicle like a TL8 Sports Bike and price it the same?
>>
Added Time Travel Adventures to the archive (GURPS/3rd edition/Adventures).

>>76948203
Less interesting to me than the others, and the articles I'm most interested in are the last stretch goals, but I was going to be backing it anyway.
>>
>>76948238
You can do some math with War Horse chassis and your upgrades (Net positive) priced via Metatronic Generators.
>>
>>76935106
I'm really considering making Centrum employ experimental TL10 and have lots more cybernetics. It would really ramp up the "these guys are technocrats" feel.
>>
>>76948203
>Putting Science in Your Fiction — Sean Punch [rules for increasing scientific knowledge in GURPS]
sounds like autism potential, looking forward to that one
>>
>>76948638
>Less interesting to me than the others
>other*s*
Did I miss the Low-Tech/Fantasy articles preview? I remember the modern one, but nothing for the third article.
>>
What are some must-read GURPS books? I know that I should keep the Magic and Ultra-Tech books for last but is there any in particular you'd recommend reading? There's like a bunch in the mega so I'm not sure.
>>
>>76952442
Martial Arts if you intend to have any degree of melee combat focus in your game

Low-Tech has a lot of useful info for any historical or fantasy game.

The 3e historical/myth setting books are just well researched, entertaining reads. Celtic Myth has been my favorite so far.
>>
>>76952318
>Did I miss the Low-Tech/Fantasy articles preview?
First reveal, was in 12PDF KS
>>
>>76952442
Martial Arts and Powers are considered "extended core," more or less. The former adds a lot of detail for melee combat of all stripes, and the later greatly increases the numbers of advantages and modifiers available.

Action 2 has a lot of great rules for running faster, more streamlined games; complementary skills checks, range bands, B.A.D., and other tweaks can be a godsend for new GMs.

Speaking of Action, the 4e Festival issue of Pyramid (#3/70) has an article called "Ten for Ten" which is ten rules they wish were in Basic; a lot come from Action, but a few are scattered among other supplements, and the article gives a nice synopsis for them all if you want to use them.
>>
>>
>>76922977
Well, I currently am running an AtE game now. It is mostly by the book. It's going well enough - we're in the middle of a big battle now.
>>
>>76954383
There are animal styles on Pyramid #3/111: Combat 2, "Animal Combat Styles." But you can do this with MA alone yeah.
Lion Evaluates then takes a Wait Maneuver for Stop Hit (MA108) and goes for a Bite Grapple (MA115) to the neck with Deceptive for a fast attack. The prey fails to Break Free, so the Lion goes for an easy All-Out (Determined) Takedown.
Why is GURPS so good?
>>
File: kowloon-gm_31871801-web.jpg (250 KB, 1200x806)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>76913906
Thanks to prev. /GURPSgen/ I've hooked my players for Havens and Hells Infinity Worlds campaign.
>Humanity lives in Havens which is basically Kowloon City in the middle of Dead World with no mana and occasional Elder Things spawns. Havens can use "World Essence" to open Black Gates leading to portal dimensions and send through them expeditions to "Reality Shards", where they do recon and establish camps for Collector teams, who build facility to gather resources or drain "World Essence" that used to sustaining own Haven to live another day - for another expedition.
And I get stuck with TL accessibility.
Actually, Haven can have technologies up to TL10 (Superscience is a big no-no!) as imports, with required facilities and knowledge, from sufficiently advanced Alternative Worlds. And PCs who doing recon job at TL10 shard can loot Multispectral Chameleon Cloacks and ETC Anti-Materiel Rifles from locals.
But I want to make technology after TL6 in Haven expensive or rare. For example, PC can find Dealer who can sell to him Gauss Needler pistol but it would cost him more (x2 +x2 per TL difference), because Havens have no actual production, and everything is actualy loot transported to Haven.
Plus, carrying something "otherworldly" for world through Black Gates would cost extra Essence as World would try to resist it as technologocal paradox (here I plan to tinker with Pulling Rank and budget rules from Action 1, treating aviable Essence capacity as budget on mission)
>>
>>76956168
This post is a fuckin mess

Temper your excitement, and organize your thoughts
>>
File: organs.png (1.15 MB, 1219x880)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
How would I stat up a Space Marine in GURPS? Specifically, how would I stat up their weirdo organs?
>>
>>76958175
>Mucranoid, Larraman's Organ, Secondary Heart, Sus-An Membrane, and Haemastamen
Collectively these justify high levels of Metabolism Control [5/level] and Increased HT [10/level]. Extremely fast clotting may additionally call for effectively Injury Tolerance (No Blood) and Injury Tolerance (Unliving) if redundant organs reduce the effectiveness of pi/imp weapons.
>Omophagea
Mind Probe (Trigger, Consuming Flesh, -30%; Cosmic, Usable on the dead, +50%) [24]
>Occulobe
Acute Vision [2/level] and Night Vision [1/level]
>Biscopea
Increased ST [10/level]
>Oolitic Kidney
Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+8) [15] if not outright Immunity [30]
>Preomnor
Reduced Consumption (Cast-Iron Stomach) [1/level]
>Interface
Unusual Background (Can use space marine armor) [varies]
>Multi-Lung
Filter Lung. While the multi-lung can handle more noxious things than Filter Lung implies, that's already covered by Resistant/Immune above.
>Lyman's Ear
Acute Hearing [2/level] and Parabolic Hearing [4/level], plus anywhere from Resistant to Disorientation (+3) to Perfect Balance depending on how you read the last part.
>Betcher's Gland
Corrosive Attack with Reduced Range and one of Limited Use, Costs Fatigue, or Takes Recharge depending on hoe the saliva is produced.
>Ossmodula
DR (Vitals Only, -30%; Tough Skin, Not Flexible, -20%) [2.5/level], Rapid Healing or Very Rapid Healing [5 or 15]
>Neuroglottis
Discriminatory Smell [15] and Discriminatory Taste [10]; an extreme interpretation also includes Detect Matter (Analyzing, +100%; Sense-based, Taste, Reversed, -20%) [54]
>Catalepsean Node
Less Sleep isn't enough and Doesn't Sleep is too much; I recommend Doesn't Sleep with Costs Fatigue for every extra 8/12/16/24-hour period of awakeness, giving the marine a greatly extended but still finite amount of time they can go without sleep.
>Progenoids
A 0-point feature.
>>
>>76959072
>spess mehreens have IT(Unliving)
So that's why there are swords and shit all over the place!
>>
>>76959353
Yeah, basically. In addition to counts-as-Unliving Space Marines and Spikey Marines, there's also Daemons (Unliving if not Homogeneous), Orks (Unliving since they're basically plants), and Necrons (Unliving or Homogeneous). Only Guard, Eldar, and Tau for-sure lack those traits. Who the fuck knows what's going on inside a Tyranid.
>>
>>76959556
>what's going on inside a Tyranid.
Heresy, duh.
>>
>>76944529
Source of this image?
>>
How long would a police officer with Bloodlust at CR12 keep his job? Or would I be better off with Sadism?
>>
>>76962940
Check out GURPS Cops pp. 55-57? (Just guessing, since I don't have the book.)
>>
>>76962940
Depends on where and when they are.
In a dystopian hellscape? As long as they only kill people who are the lowest rungs of society probably a very long time.
In a utopian scifi kind of setting? They likely could never become a cop unless this developed later, which they would probably be removed within a month at most I would guesstimate.
It is really going to fall down to the society, the standards for policing, and the amount of corruption they can get away with, as well as who they are killing.
It is really more of an ask your gm, because it falls down more to setting question.
>>
File: LH classes.jpg (2.47 MB, 1806x3797)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
How would I build a template that emulates the differences between Samurai and Monk as in pic related?

I was thinking of giving the Samurai template a perk that lets them spend character/wildcard/impulse points on buying damage as well as special attacks that require points to use, but I'm stuck on how to get the Monk to work properly. General speedyness shticks like access to Bullet Time is uncomfortably close to invading the Swashbuckler's niche.

I guess I could saddle every other template's abilities with Takes Recharge and just not do that with the Monk, but I wanted to see if I was missing an easier or more obvious solution.
>>
>>76965872
Give the Samurai sorcerery spells based on Innate Attacks with Requires Weapon (Tachi) and are fueled by a generous energy reserve, but the most powerful moves have Takes Recharge of 5 minutes or so.

Toss in something like a DF knight's armor ability that gives bonus +1 DR when wearing armor with at least 3 DR and/or something that lets them ignore the weight of worn armor. (Payload armor only?)

Give Monks high mobility, Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Dodge and something to recharge their very small energy reserve when they attack, and relatively weak, low cost and specialized attacks with no cooldown.
>>
>>76962940
Indefinitely. ACAB! BLM! DEFUND PIGS!
>>
>>76965872
17/20 ST/HP or just allow the monk to forgoe the 3 level max difference between primary and secondary attributes for HP.
Striking ST
Rapid Healing
Enhanced Dodge
Enhanced Time Sense or just Combat Reflexes
Acute Hearing
Danger Sense
Daredevil

There is a drug in Horror the Madness dossier that allows +1's to active defense rolls per dose. Maybe adapt that using the power rules and make something that allows the Monk to toggle it for a couple of turns during an instance of combat.
>>
this system seems fun. fuck you guys for trying to hide it.
>>
>>76969042
Blame Steve Jackson, not us
>>
>>76969042
If we don't hide it, people yell at us.
>>
>>76962940
>How long would a police officer with Bloodlust at CR12 keep his job?
Depends how often he faces lethal force. BL will make you kill someone for attacking you with a knife or club on you, but (a) that doesn't happen that often and (b) you might be able to get away with that a few times, because you were legitimately defending yourself from a lethal weapon. If you shoot them, that's probably going to be OK. If you shoot them while they are down, or beat them to death with your nightstick, that's going to cause issues. An average cop probably has to fight people with weapons once or twice a year even in a high-crime city. Say he would only be 'unjustified' in using lethal force half the time and made his self control roll three-quarters of the time, it might be years before he actually got into trouble. If he had a quieter job and deliberately avoided dangerous situations (which a lot of cops apparently do) he could go decades without problems just because BL only kicks in during potentially lethal combat.
>>
>>76969653
There's also reported fatalities and police jobs that allow for higher amounts of "deaths" IE third world cop or soldier.
>>
>>76913906
I’ve been running GURPs for a few months now and I’m really enjoying it. The combat maneuvers, customization, derived stats, it’s all great. However, I’m finding difficulties with the skill system seeing as though it’s far too easy to get a 20 in several skills with a 100 point character if done intelligently. Even with negative situational modifiers, the bell curve ensures that you will succeed(A 14 already gives you a 90% success rate for example). Does anyone else have this problem? Is it common for skill caps to be placed? I was thinking about it but it really wouldn’t do anything because you already succeed 84% of the time at skill level 13. For my usual group of players, they aren’t that experienced with the system and they made reasonable characters based on what they thought would be fun. This was great. In my other group I have two players who have much experience, one of whom managed magery 6 and something like 18 in almost all of his spells. Doesn’t help that most of these spells are social type spells and due to mechanical circumstances, he doesn’t require physical gestures or even words. Sorry for the rant but I’m not sure what to do.
>>
>>76970293
If you have skills at 20, it usually means you are extremely vulnerable to any single thing outside your very narrow competence.
I've played several characters to the ~400 CP range and rarely went above 15.
This might have to do with the kind of games I've ran and played - there's usually fighting, outdoors exploration, vehicle operation, planning, public speaking, invention and scrounging for resources and very often - magic and supernatural abilities - so plenty of ways lack of a specific skill can bite you in the ass.
High skills also are not just for success - they help with doing difficult stuff such as stabbing people in the eye with your rapier, or lowering their defense to a manageable level.
There's also the (optional?) rule for needing to spend training to maintain high skill levels, making it hard for adventurers that are always on the move to maintain the skill levels of elite specialists.
Outside of that, caps are a reasonable solution. Magery 6 is obscene for example - especially if you use the default Magic.
>>
>>76970293
Yeah that is an issue for me too. In other systems (d20, d100) If I mete out some penalty or bonus for the roll, it is easy to tell how much I increase/decrease their chances. On 3d6 however +2 or -2 could be inconsequential to tremendous depending on the original skill.
>>
>>76970293
You have a few options. First of all, simply talk to your players about 'min-maxing' and ask them not to try and break the system or make 'unbalanced' characters. As you have seen, lots of points invested in a few skills can be very powerful. However, if you are part way through a campaign, your players are unlikely to appreciate being told to remake their characters as weaker versions.
Magery 6 would usually require an Unusual Background, but reducing them to Magery 3 wouldn't really solve the issue; they get most of the benefits with spells at 15 and they can just buy IQ up anyway. In order to limit mages, I suggest that most important people in high-magic settings have defences against magic (e.g. castles built in low-mana areas, floors with spellshield, talismans against common spells, mage bodyguards, alchemical charms of magic resistance) while low-magic settings simply have numerous low-mana areas (usually including most major settlements, castles, etc. since any built in normal mana areas tend to get burnt down). In addition, most people will get upset if they find out someone has been manipulating them with magic and possibly send witch hunters (who will be tooled up with anti-magic gear and abilities) after them.
If someone has vast amounts of points in one skill, you can use the Optional Rule: Maintaining Skills (Basic Set 294). This doesn't really help for skills which are used almost all the time though and doesn't help with very high attribute or talent characters who are good at many skills.
Simply throwing challenges that don't match their skills at them is always an option. In order to get really good with many spells at reasonable points levels, you will have to compromise elsewhere. If they have feeble HT, have a plague outbreak in the region. If they lowered ST and DX and didn't invest in any combat skills, being attacked by something their spells don't affect (which can be as simple as a dog if they didn't study animal college).
>>
>>76970479
You can have a meaningless penalty in a d20 game just as well - e.g. if the character still succeeds on even a 1.
It's useful to think of these penalties as not just "penalties" but as replacements for the Target Number in something like d20. It's the same approach as taken by d100 systems (and most roll-under systems) - you have your skill, but then the fact the passage is Narrow, Slippery and With Spike On is what makes it hard, giving you -3 to the SL.
>>
>>76970564
This was very helpful, thanks!
>>
File: 5ad.png (122 KB, 361x370)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
How should I make an advertisement for GURPS on roll20? When I do not have a group I can just sit down and discuss things with beforehand.
I have ideas in two extremes:
>Minimum specifications
I just describe the campaign like any other game, and also specify genre conventions, and point/value limits. Ask them to tell about their characters, and any further mechanic-related discussion will be once people are recruited.
>Maximum Specification
List the skills that will be used in the campaign, points, specify and post templates, list out the rules we'll be using as well, et cetera. Almost as much that if someone says they wanna run this game too they can just "steal it" so to speak.

With the first extreme, I am worried that people who don't know much about the system will be afraid to join, and I do love new people.
With the second extreme I am worried that I will drop too much info, and ultimately achieve little while spending more effort on advertising the campaign than actually preparing for it. Also I feel like GURPS pdfs are deliberately constructed in such a way that copying things out of them ends up a jumbled mess, forcing you to type manually.
>>
>>76970564
>talk to your players about 'min-maxing'
I'm very curious about the definition of "min-maxing" here.
>>
>join GURPS game
>GM doesn't use GCS
>GM throws unformatted plaintext documents at us
>GM does not sit down with people to discuss characters, just wants them done at a specific date
>GM uses reems of inexplicable house-rules
>nobody is interested in actually talking about what they want to do or what they want to play
>nobody read the wall of text setting document by the GM
>nobody read even Basic
Why are people like this?
If I wanted that shit, I would be playing D&D.
>>
File: 1505625464312.png (378 KB, 804x514)
378 KB
378 KB PNG
>>76970854
You better not be passive-aggressive posting on me anon! I am trying to improve here.
>>
>>76970801
The first isn't bad. My first game, the GM pretty much built my character for me and just eased me through until I started picking up on it. And from that, I'm up to GMing myself. I think it's a workable approach.

Being too specific will totally throw off newer players, I feel like.

>>76970818
I think that varies from group to group, but SL's at 20 with 100pt characters like the first poster in chain was talking about sure sounds like it. I've only ever played one character with any SL of 20+, even at 4-500pts.
>>
>>76970818
To me is not having Primary, Secondary and Background skills, and instead have a handful of skills at 17+, but I've learned to just separate point pools into three, and tell them about skill maxes.
>>
>>76971032
>Primary, Secondary and Background skills
I had successfully suppressed my memories of this, but you had to remind me.
What a horrible and gamey concept. I've thankfully managed to luck mostly into GMs and players that do not use it, but I've seen my fair share of characters lacking basic competence in their field because somebody decided they just NEED to force everyone to get 30CP in weapon skills, or 12 CP in an Expert Skill nobody will ever roll.
I guess the problem is not so much with the concept itself as with the way it's always executed.
>>
>>76971637
I don't know. As I said the few times I didn't split the skill pool at least in two, I ended up with idiot savant characters who know a handful of things on grandmaster level, and nothing else.
Probably not an issue if people inherently do not minmax their shit.
>>
What are you guys playing?
>>
>>76971684
Like I said, the few times I've seen it used (and looking at random templates from the books), it makes for characters who qualify for the Idiot Savant title better. E.g. 40+ CP spent on DX-based skills instead of spending 20 of those on DX, big gaps in competence (soldiers with no First-Aid, crewmen without technical skills, etc.) or just outright weirdness (knight that know Strategy, but not how to handle horses).
I've found it much better to just make characters together with the player (as you're supposed to do anyway) and question any dubious choices I see.
>>
>>76973742
>I've found it much better to just make characters together with the player (as you're supposed to do anyway) and question any dubious choices I see.
Obviously, but that's not always possible; when I'm helping two absolute newbies figure out how skills work or am working with one player on executing a very tricky or advanced character concept, I can't give the rest of the group the 1-on-1 attention they need to make optimal characters. Templates (or at least good templates) are meant to help the GM by giving everyone a solid base to start from and hopefully mitigate the worst impulses by players.
>>
File: 1608488966264.jpg (63 KB, 900x948)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
HTMLfag, I need your help. I want to start writing my homebrew material in HTML, where do I begin?
>>
>>76971637
>12 CP in an Expert Skill nobody will ever roll.
That's down to the GM. The GM should be familiar with all the character sheets and give each skill and ability time to shine often enough for the player to feel the character they built is the one they get to play.

As a side rant, I really hate the style of GMing where the players build characters blind and hope they have what they need or are expected to finesse what they do have to fit every situation. That's somewhat like playing a CRPG blind on Iron Man and only being allowed to play it once. Or, worse, where certain builds are king because only a few abilities or tactics are highlighted.
>>
>>76971637

Yeah, it's better to get away from it, though I've always found the basic idea of background skills sound.

Sure, 1 point each in Computer Operation, Housekeeping, Hobby Skill (Computer Strategy Games) and Applied Mathematics might never get rolled, but they help the GM look at the sheet and give an idea what kind of person it is.
>>
>>76978560
I have been GMing wrong

You have opened my eyes
>>
File: Callisto.jpg (302 KB, 1280x1009)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
I know about the space planetary record sheet but does anybody know of a good blank player facing system description sheet? The Kind of thing a space port info terminal would print out for traders to read. Star type, number/type of bodies, important legal/cultural notes, that sort of thing.
>>
>>76977668
HTML+CSS is kind of like GURPS: it's exactly as dead simple, or as autistically complicated, as you make it. If you're a beginner, you can just use plain-jane HTML sections, headings, headers, paragraphs, unordered lists, et cetera, and ignore CSS entirely, relying on the browser's default CSS--nothing you can't do in plaintext or Markdown. If you're more advanced, however, you can start using div and span with custom attributes, and CSS that points to those custom attributes.

For example: In my own HTML documents, I currently use this general schema:
<section><header><h2>heading</h2><p class="frag">subheading</p></header>
<div class="main">
<div class="text">
<p>Text goes here</p>
<div class="section"><div class="header"><p class="frag h">Pseudoheading</p><p class="frag">Pseudosubheading</p></div>
<div class="main"><p>Text goes here</p></div>
</div>
</div>
<section>...</section>
</div>
</section>
(Note how the lower section is inside the div.main element but outside the div.text element. This allows the text in the higher section to have multiple columns while keeping the lower section in a single column.)

Anyway, that's all very complicated, but a beginner can get away with a lot less:
<section><header><h2>heading</h2><p>subheading</p></header>
<p>Text goes here</p>
<dl>
<div><dt>Pseudoheading</dt><dt>Pseudosubheading</dt>
<dd><p>Text goes here</p></dd>
</div>
</dl>
<section>...</section>
</section>
This works without having to write any additional CSS.
(By "pseudoheading" I mean something like the character types on Basic Set pp. 12-13: it kind of looks like a heading, but it shouldn't actually show up in the table of contents.)

(part 1 of 2?)
>>
Which Edition of GURPS do you think is better 3rd or 4th? Give me the strengths and weaknesses of both.
>>
>>76979814
Successive editions are straight upgrades to everything before them. You only use 3rd edition if there's too many supplements that are exclusive to 3rd that you can't easily convert them to 4th
>>
File: Untitled.png (65 KB, 960x1050)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>76979691
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/
The HTML specification is very nicely laid out and easy to navigate. Important sections include:
>1.10 (but not the subsections inside it)
Exactly what it says on the tin: a quick introduction to HTML.
>1.11.1 and 3.2.1
This is the REASONING that makes advanced HTML+CSS useful. Even a beginner should be aware of it, just in case he wants to become advanced later.
>4.1 through 4.9, plus 4.11.1 and 4.11.2
Most of the element names (but not all of them! ol, dl, ul, a, b, i...) are quite descriptive, so a beginner can just skim around to find what he needs.
>15.3
This is just an explanation of what your browser's default CSS is (or, at least, what the HTML specification writers want it to be...). You can look at that if you aren't sure how something is supposed to look (without custom CSS), but you're too lazy to actually test it.

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-2020/
The CSS specification unfortunately is a lot more fragmented. It's hard to find anything if you don't already know what you're looking for. One EXTREMELY important piece, however, is the Selectors. They allow you to actually target your styling more narrowly than at an entire element.
(Of course, you can just ignore this if you're merely writing in HTML and ignoring CSS.)

Generally, a very good way to learn HTML+CSS is to look at stuff that other people already have written. Literally right-click and "Inspect Element" on THIS VERY PAGE and look at its code (pic related)! Or you can look at the catalog, or a blog, or a news article, or a book from Project Gutenberg.
>>
>>76979865
I remember hearing there are some problems with the magic system and the Int stat was a bit unbalanced. Is the game as a whole well balanced?
>>
>>76980423
Both issues are present in both third and fourth edition. GURPS isn't terribly well balanced, but it is no worse than most games in that respect. There's really no way to make a roleplaying game 'balanced' which doesn't involve heavy restrictions on what adventures are like and what characters you can play. Even in a very restrictive game like D&D, there isn't much in the way of balance between characters.
>>
>>76980423
The game is balanced as a whole, but being that it can cover all sorts of games, the GM needs to be aware of what he's allowing. A character trait that's fine in one campaign can be wholly unsuitable for another. Basically, in a system that lets you build both Superman and Indiana Jones, its on the GM to make sure that they don't share a party.

Magic's issue isn't that it's unbalanced--it mostly is, barring some well-known outlier spells like Enlarge--but that it isn't very GURPS-y; the system is very DIY-friendly letting you build whatever you want, but Magic is just a laundry list of spells with very little advice on making your own or altering what's there, making it very much like D&D's. For people that come to GURPS for its flexibility, the default magic system really chafes. Thankfully there are plenty of alternatives.

IQ being unbalanced is a bit of a contentious issue. It's the basis for essentially every non-physical skill in the game, either directly or through Perception or Will, which are by default tied to IQ. At 20 points/level, I feel that it's suitably expensive, but not everyone feels that way. Splitting Per/Will from IQ is the most common "solution" I've seen, but honestly that's only relevant for animal characters that have to pay more to bring their Per and Will up from their base IQ.
>>
>>76980548
That's fair, as long as there are ways to reign it in I'm fine with it. Is it as bad as the imbalance between casters and martials in 3.5 and 5e?
>>
>>76980668
martials are unironically better than mages in gurps
>>
>>76980423
The problem with Magic is that it did not change significantly from 3e (the other problem is the terrible art).
It's got a lot of the problems of D&D-style magic, while still being much more interesting and better balanced.
"The game a whole" is not balanced, since there are a lot of options and some of them were never designed to be used together. E.g. there's multiple systems for mad science inventions and they work differently from each other.
If you use things that are intended to work together, they usually will work together without a problem.
You also need to carefully curate characters, but that's a norm for point systems, and generally for all RPGs.
>>
>>76980906
If you have an experienced player they can break the game with magic though. But I would agree that warriors can do a lot more in GURPS
>>
File: damaged.jpg (538 KB, 1600x1067)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
>tfw Magic is my favorite magic system
ONE NOTHING WRONG WITH ME
TWO NOTHING WRONG WITH ME
>>
>>76981180
It's fine to like imperfect things.
I also enjoy it occasionally (and probably prefer it over RPM)
>>
>>76980968
That's actually great to hear. I can feel more comfortable letting the magic be a bit more potent knowing that non-magic builds can keep up.

>>76980616
What are some of the better alternatives?
>>
>>76981948
>better alternatives
The entirety of the Thaumatology book
>>
>>76981962
>>76981948
>>76981274
>>76981180
>>76980968
>>76980668
>>76980616
>>76980548
>>76980423
>>76979981
>>76979865
>>76979814

Genuine question for GURPStard DMs

How do you expect to build a level of detail and fluff on the same level as any other real system? Or do you just play RPGs like wargames and only for the combat?
>>
>>76981981
Why would I need a game to tell me the fluff. I'm the DM I write the fluff.
>>
>>76981981
Do you know where we are son?

I wrote

A setting handout
>>
>>76981981
I'm just gonna assume this question is bait, because it's retarded and makes no sense whatsoever
>>
I think (you) need to learn how to write better encounters, anon
>>
>>76982127
Also mass reply. No one has ever replies to a dozen different posts at once with something worth reading.
>>
File: 5p2gb4aripo41.png (243 KB, 680x709)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>76981981
>Or do you just play RPGs like wargames and only for the combat?
>>
>>76981981
dungeon fantasy, out of the box, unironically has about x12 as much fluff as most games give you, and dungeon fantasy is the "generic d&d-expy" setting
>>
>>76981180
Eh, it has it's charms. And remember, being a subpar magic system in GURPS still makes you better than 90% of magic systems in RPGs!

Also it's not like it's the worst. That prize goes to Syntactic Realm Magic.
>>
>>76983626
unlike regular syntactic which is great
>>
>>76980968
The only time I have seen a player generally make a fucky character was when the GM couldn't be arsed to reign him in using the basic set rules, and it was just a ST/DX machine with min maxing out the ass.
I think the idea that IQ is most OP quite half baked when DX is what every non magic based attack uses, and is half of what increases your speed and movement.
>>
>>76981981
Do you ever just look in the mirror and think:
>I am such of a fuck up I mass reply b8 cause I can't shipost right
And don't you just want to slit your wrists and put a stop to it?
>>
>>76981962
Thaumathology has plenty of options that I would argue are worse because of their freeform nature.
>>
>>76986639
t. Mailanka
>>
>>76982233
This, desu.
>>
>>76986639
Based and creativity-through-limitationspilled.
>>
>>76985737
You seem to be under the impression that balance only matters in combat. Social, crafting and investigation optimised characters are way more likely to be unbalanced (i.e. easily overcome challenges which 'normal' characters would find very difficult) in my experience, probably because the game is still tied to dungeon-crawling assumptions and expects those things will rarely matter.
>>
>>76987592
But a magic optimized character will not have those social, crafting and investigation skills unless the player is given too many points, in which case you can just as easily have a high DX HT pretty character that can just do similar things.
>>
File: teppy.jpg (277 KB, 540x757)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>76913906
Hey guys, sell me on GURPs. I'm really curious to try it out but I heard that it's a nightmare to GM. What are the pros and cons of the system and what makes the game really hard to prepare for your players?
>>
>>76988060
GURPS is the worst system except for all the others.
>pros
- very modular
- melee combat is awesome
- the only good gun combat I ever recall in RPG systems
- stuff tends to be well researched
- tons of splatbooks
>cons
- depending on what rules you use, it varies from very rules-heavy to pretty rules-heavy
- GM needs to know system well to know where's everything and what books to use when in doubt, use nothing but Basic Set
- 1-second rounds are extremely off-putting to outsiders
- combat is rather slow, especially if newbies are involved
- explosion rules can just fuck right off
- imperial system
- not much in the way of published adventures
- system is pretty much on life support, if Munchkin stops making money it will be unplugged
- tons of splatbooks
>>
>>76988060
The main downside is that there are so many options that a lot of people get overwhelmed or suffer decision paralysis. Even if you don't use any expansions or optional rules, there's huge lists for advantages, disadvantages and (especially) skills, which makes character creation intimidating. This can be mostly solved by using templates for character creation until you are familiar with the system, although that limits your options and can make people question why they are using such a flexible system only to be restricted in their choices.
Combat is also quite overwhelming in terms of options. You have a fairly big list of manoeuvrers to choose from and once you've done that you still need to do stuff like decide if you're making a deceptive attack, whether you're aiming for a specific hit location and so on. This isn't really much worse that many editions of D&D or BRP, but can be a stumbling block.
>>
>>76988209
>Combat is also quite overwhelming in terms of options. You have a fairly big list of manoeuvrers to choose from and once you've done that you still need to do stuff like decide if you're making a deceptive attack, whether you're aiming for a specific hit location and so on.
I don't know if it's fair to call that a downside. After years of playing 3.PF and finally tasting the sweet nectar of "warriors having combat options" during 4e's short life, having so many options available to me and not locked behind feats or class features was an irresistible siren's call. More than the realism or flexibility, it was the ability to make a quick defensive jab at the face or a full-body swing to a leg and have them actually *mean* something instead of just being flavor that drew me to GURPS.
>>
>>76981180
I hope you find the new kickstarter Pyramid article with a new college of magic useful.
>>
>>76988060
I am currently trying to put together multiple campaigns as I am attempting to take the leap and run a game after a few failed ones. (Failed ones because I suck at GMing not because of the system) Here is a little list I've titled "for players new to the system" to temper their expectations. I've originally wrote it for the mythical Japan game, but I found that it works well for the high-TL monster hunter game, and other ideas I've had
>Turns are strictly one second each. So don’t think of one turn as one action. Think of your actions as strategies that can take a few turns to take effect. Moving up to someone close enough and attacking them is pretty likely to take up two turns (unless you are very skilled with your weapon)
>Defenses in this system are active. Meaning if someone is attacking you, you need to do more than just pray they roll badly. You have a lot of options, many of which can save you, or give you a more advantageous/less disadvantageous position after.
>On the flip side, enemies can do the same and defend themselves when in other games you would already get ready to roll for delicious damage. So don’t feel robbed when that happens. Your opponents like to be live too, and will do their hardest to stay alive.
>This is why 1 on 1 duels have depth in this game. Maybe you should take on a defensive stance and wait them to come for you. Maybe you should spend a turn or two to aim instead of trying to fire off arrows every second like a machine gun, or do a feint on the legs before you commit to a strike at the throat.
>There will be a few points awarded per sessions and per story milestones met, so you can develop your characters later. This is growth is less exponential and straightforward than the level-up scheme more games use. So while you character develops, they do not fundamentally change most of the time

There are some other things too, but I am running out of post space.
>>
>>76989391
Something that should be beaten into new players - YOU NEED TO USE DEFENSE-REDUCING MANEUVERS. It's the single most important thing about melee combat in GURPS.
>>
>>76988167
> depending on what rules you use, it varies from very rules-heavy to pretty rules-heavy
Accurate, but how rules heavy a system is falls more into a matter of personal preference rather than being objectively better or worse, it can be a postive for some people
>- GM needs to know system well to know where's everything and what books to use when in doubt, use nothing but Basic Set
I doubt any aspiring GM would ever go into gurps without having an idea of what to excavate from the various splatbooks
>- 1-second rounds are extremely off-putting to outsiders
I've never met anybody who would even care about how long a round lasts, a turn is a turn
>- explosion rules can just fuck right off
You can just remove or alter them
>- imperial system
European detected
>- not much in the way of published adventures
Imagine being the faggot that has to resort to using published content
>- system is pretty much on life support, if Munchkin stops making money it will be unplugged
Arguably it has been shown there is enough of a interest in the game that kickstarters could keep it alive, even if it did die there would still be enough content already published to last pretty much forever
>- tons of splatbooks
This is only a problem for people who don't know what they are doing. To everyone else this is a boon.

>>76988209
Just dig through the PDFs yourself and compile a list of the rules and skills you want to be available, copy and paste them into a document and hand it out to your players. That way you can trim down all of the content that isn't going to be used and make it a little less daunting than your players to digging though hundreds of pages of rules. When you're finished you'll have what is essentially a unique rulebook for that specific game.
>>
>>76988209
>Combat is also quite overwhelming in terms of options.
Unless you're using ALL the optional books, I'd say combat has the bare minimum of options to cover all bases. It's just that other systems usually have zero options beyond "I attack".
>>
>>76989648
>I've never met anybody who would even care about how long a round lasts, a turn is a turn
Reloading is where it gets noticeable and my players start complaining. 'I have to skip two or three attacks just to reload' seems to be a real sticking point.
>>
>>76989783
>I have to skip two or three attacks just to reload
*laughs in 12 flintlock pistols*
>>
>>76989648
>I've never met anybody who would even care about how long a round lasts, a turn is a turn
It's one of the first complains you usually hear about GURPS after the obligatory "muh cubic equations" and "no flavor".
>>
>>76989648
>You can just remove
And if I need to use them?
>or alter them
Pray tell, are there any good houserules for them?
>>
>>76988167
>imperial system
*US customary system
>>
>>76989984
'If you're near something when it explodes, take 4d crushing damage' should work fine for most situations. Change it to 2d crushing plus 2d cutting for frag grenades and so on. Allow a dodge roll to dive away for half damage.
>>
>>76913906
you fool you forgot the thread name
>>
>>76989783
It's just the mark of a spoiled kid complaining about sour grapes.
Since in cinematic or just high point games you can do instant reloads or at least 1 second reloads and you only do them once every 5-10 turns.
While in realistic or low point games you don't need to do damage every tick.
>>
What would be the points value of someone being a felon?
>>
>>76991644
It depends on the society, but the Social Stigma (Criminal Record) is -5 points by default. Of course, that's if you've been caught and served your time. Otherwise, consider that and other consequences into pricing a Secret.
>>
>>76991114
Also
Doing anything else
>>
Where the fuck is Realm Management? I need to manage some realms!
>>
File: VR_P-foX.gif (173 KB, 1024x867)
173 KB
173 KB GIF
>>76961329
It is an illustration from the book called World of the Great River (Mиp Beликoй peки) by Andrey Cruz (Aндpeй Кpyз).

A link to a world review in Russian (https://pikabu.ru/story/mir_velikoy_reki_avtor_andrey_kruz_6943058)

Basically what if a part of 21st century world would merge with a fantasy world of 13th century. The author is somewhat of a gun-nut, so there is a lot of descriptions of tactics and guns.

And the illustration is made by Ilya Voronin (Илья Bopoнин)
Some of his works could be found here: https://www.armada.ru/galvor2d.htm
>>
How would you combine ritual path magic and sorcery? Ritual Path for slow Rituals and Sorcery for the fast Spells.
>>
>the "servant!" wildcard skill, intended for maids and butlers, allows a dx-based roll to replace any specialty of driving
>"servant!" therefore encompasses the ability to pilot all types of hovercraft, mecha, and tanks at no penalties for tech level or familiarity
I wonder if the authors thought about this.
>>
>>76994743
Fool, don't you know that in popular fiction every butler/maid needs to have military-tier training in case their master ever needs someone who can drive a helicopter remotely?
>>
>>76994299
Fuck yes, thanks anon
Now I can pursue things without blatant plagarism of others work, at least
>>
>>76994743
I think instead of wildcard, an alternative list of skills would have been better. The normal skills are too specific and the wildcard skills too broad.
>>
>>76994743
In a world where hovercrafts or tanks are everyday pedestrian vehicles that could conceivably be encountered by a homebound servant, why *wouldn't* they be able to drive one?
>>
A creature has two arms and two non-arm fine manipulators (Extra Arms + some enhancement or limitation). The two arms have Bad Grip, but the non-arm manipulators do not. How is Bad Grip priced, since by default it's listed as having an overall effect?
>>
>>76995657
I think it should be a limitation on the Extra Arms. Probably 'Temporary Disadvantage: Bad Grip' although that seems like a small price break for losing a lot of functionality.
>>
>>76993321
I'm guessing the rest of January will be pushing the Pyramid kickstarter, closing at the end of the month. RM is probably next in the production queue, so likely release date of Feb 25 (they usually release things on the 4th Thursday of the month). Then pyramid release in March, Furries in April or May, Girl Genius kickstarter early summer...
>>
>>76995746
I guess that can work, thanks
>>
How do I prosthetic limbs? Also would clockwork prosthetics push the theme of steampunk too much?
>>
>>76996650
Lame/One Hand/etc. with Mitigator (Basic Set p. 112)
High-Tech pp. 225-226
Low-Tech p. 149
>>
>>76996724
Thank you.
>>
>>76989783
People coming from D&D and Savage Worlds in particular seem to have a lot of problem with these two concepts in GURPS:
>you have more than 1 meaningful option on your turn
>it's acceptable to not attack every single turn
>>
>>76989479
>beaten into
Yeah, some players seem to resist the notion even after they've failed to connect 4 times in a row and the option has been recommended 3 times in a row.
>>
>>76997004
A fucking men
>>
GURPS baby!
>>
How would you stat a complacent race? One that isn't bothered by their inefficiency and don't mind using poor equipment that break? A "everything is fine really" attitude.
>>
>>77001048
Seems like just a quirk to me.
Maybe Odious Personal Habit if it's obnoxious enough to annoy others.
>>
Don't die on us, /GURPSgen/
>>
>>77001048
Low imagination (Template Toolkit 2 p. 32), implying the Dull quirk or the Hidebound disadvantage?
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 678x452)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>76913906
Why do some Americans get offended with alt history settings where NA doesn't speak English?
>>
>>77004341
Because literally everything will offend some people
>>
>>77001048
Bio-Tech has the Helot genetic modification template, meant to make humans better suited for cramped urban life by reducing aggressive and selfish impulses, though detractors say mostly just makes humans tractable and docile. It has Broad Minded [-1], Humble [-1], and Staid [-1], but I think its most important trait is Taboo Traits (Aggressiveness).

I think those traits would serve as a foundation for a "complacent" race.
>>
How would you stat the ability to gain HP and FP from your kills? Leech?
>>
>>77005123
Exactly.
>>
>>77005123
>Extra Options (Eating Souls for Fun and Profit, Pyramid #3/72, p36)
>Leech (Follow-Up, Universal, +50%; Cosmic, Requires only brief contact, +50%)
>Imbue 3 (Limited Access, Vampiric Strike, -80%) [8] + Unusual Training [1] + Vampiric Strike! (Wildcard) DX+0 [24]
>Regeneration (1 HP/Second; Fatigue Recovery, Only at full HP, +50%; Trigger, Killing, -15%; Reduced Duration, x1/20, -25%) [110]

The first option gives foes a chance to drop a pickup on death that restores FP or HP, like a Legend of Zelda monster dropping a heart or magic pot. The second modifies Leech to let it work with only a light touch instead of extended contact, and then adds it as a follow-up on every strike, letting you deal extra damage that you can then heal though. The third option turns the Vampiric Strike from Power-Ups 1: Imbuements into an advantage: after any given attack, you can spend 1 FP and roll DX, and if you succeed you heal 1 HP per 3 points of injury that attack dealt. The final options gives you three seconds of Regeneration (Fast) after each kill.
>>
bmup
>>
How strong do you have to be to tear enemies apart literally in GURPS?
>>
File: ups-electric.jpg (653 KB, 1200x670)
653 KB
653 KB JPG
>>77007772
Tearing limbs off is hard.. The tearing force of bone is about 120MPa, or 145 psi.

Let's assume you were standing on the guy's chest and trying to rip his arm off, for an absolute minimum of strength.
The average man in the US has a shoe size of 11, with a surface area of 580 square cm. To get 145psi of force, you would need to be able to deadlift 13,033lbs, about the same weight as a UPS truck

I don't actually know how that translates to GURPS because I've never played it, but I've done a lot of thought about how to rip arms off and I'm sad that it's not possible for even the most roided lifters.
>>
>>77007772
It takes 2x the dismemberment threshold to dismember a limb. That threshold is, for limbs, 'exceeds HP/2' Therefore it takes 12 damage to remove a limb from Joe Blow. Under normal strength rules, you'd need about 30-34 to get the 3d+ thr damage to do it semi-reliably. (At least 50% of the time at 33-34) Grappling and then wrenching the limb would be the best way to justify 'actually tore it off.' Normally that requires cutting damage, but if allowing this works for the tone of the game or character, it makes no real mechanical difference in what fashion a limb is 'destroyed'
>>
>>77008017
2x the crippling threshold. Derp.
B421, first thing, in any case
>>
>>77007772
At a minimum, you need to be able to do enough damage with wrench limb to cause dismemberment (double crippling threshold, so either their HP+1 (if their HP is an odd number) or +2 (if even)). You actually don't need to be all that strong to make this work: a ST 13 wrestler with Wrestling at DX+2 does 2d+3 crushing. With an All-Out-Attack (Strong) he can wreck the arms of a normal HP 10 guy with average damage rolls. He will probably need to invest points into Wrench (Leg) to do legs reliably. Note that dismemberment doesn't automatically mean the limb comes clean off, only that it will never heal, so maybe a bit more damage would be necessary to literally pull someone limb from limb. Triple crippling threshold seems about right; I believe there have been cases of chimps (arm ST 14) doing such to children and I imagine a gorilla (arm ST 18) or grizzly bear (ST 19) could do it to an adult man.
>>
File: 1610907299781.png (38 KB, 198x203)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>77007960
Now of course, let's make things a bit more realistic. Instead of standing on someone, we'll anchor their body directly to the ground somehow, and you just pull on their arm. Not trying to rip the arm off, but trying to sever the humerus by pulling.

Humeri aren't perfectly circular, but an average man's humerus has a cross-sectional area of 1.55in. 225lbs of pressure would be sufficient to shear it by pulling, but it's not gonna be a clean sever.
>>
>>77007960
Your numbers don't make sense to me. For a start, you don't need to tear bones to tear a limb off; you just have to dislocate the joint and then overcome the tearing limit of the gristle and muscle. Secondly, the pressure you exert on your foot is only relevant for calculating whether you break your foot or whatever you are pushing it against. The cross sectional area of what you are trying to pull apart is the relevant factor. If you were literally pulling an arm bone (let's say the humerus) apart, then you would just need to overcome the tearing force of the bone's cross section. In a human humerus, I think that would be close to one square inch, so with a perfect grip a strong man probably could tear an arm bone apart. Of course, an actual bone will not allow a perfect grip.
However, pulling someone's arm off would require overcoming the joint, not the bone. A human shoulder is a big mass of muscle, so it isn't going to be easy. Worse, the person doing it will have to exert this force through their own joints. While big muscles and careful stance help a lot in resisting dislocation, I suspect that even a very strong man will suffer some injury which makes pulling impossible before their victim's limb actually comes off. At least if they did this to a normal man. With a child, elderly person, small woman, or sickly individual (like someone suffering anorexia, for example) it would probably be a lot easier.
>>
>>77007960
People used to be executed by having horses pull them apart. Apparently this took a fair bit of effort from the horses, but it was only one horse per limb. However, in Cassanova's memoires he tells of an execution where the horses couldn't do the job and the executioner had to use a knife to weaken the joints. I'm not sure how strong the world's strongest men are compared to horses, but I suspect they are a lot weaker.
There was an incident in Taiwan where humans pulled each other's limbs off, but this was a tug of war with hundreds of people on each side and only two people lost arms when the rope broke.
The yield strength of muscle varies, but seems to be in the low single-digit megapascal range. But a joint also has tendons and such, which have very high tensile strength. Some back-of-a-napkin math suggests that a couple of hundred kilo-newtons of force would be enough, which is within the range that a human can exert, but it seems unlikely that anyone would be able to cleanly tear a limb off. It seems more likely that the skin would deglove, or flesh would just be stripped away causing the puller's hands to slide off.
>>
How do monster statblocks work in this game? Do I need to make a bunch of mini-characters or is it like DnD with a simple formula
>>
>>77009998
It depends how you want to go with it. You can make a bunch of full fledged characters if you want. Or you can just scribble down the stats that are important in the fight and not worry about the points. Or somewhere in between the two.

I usually just throw them together real quick in GCS and damn the points cost.
>>
>>77009998
First thing first, points DO NOT MATTER when making monsters. No matter how much detail you feel like going into, you never need to track points for foes.

Beyond that, it's up to you. There are countless different ways of building foes and monsters. I've run disposable minions with nothing more than four values for SKILL, DMG, DR, and SPD. I've run boss monsters with full-on character sheets (except, again, I ignored the points costs). Most end up somewhere in between, and most official statblocks for foes look something like pic related.

As for how to build them, there are also plenty of beaten paths to take. Racial templates with lenses slapped on, whole-cloth creations, setting enemy skills to 1d+9, the works.
>>
How would I represent a bonus to attacking certain foes, like a ranger's favored enemy, or a dwarf hating orcs?
>>
>>76913906
Hey guys, new to this. What would be the skill levels of someone that's a complete amateur, competent, skilled, master of their field, and best in the world?
>>
>>77010422
Higher Purpose gives +1/level to all rolls made in fulfilling a specific goal, including attack and damage rolls if it's a combat-applicable Purpose. That's how the not!Paladins in Dungeon Fantasy get their edge against demons or undead; one with Higher Purpose 4 (Slay Undead) [20] gets +4 to Broadsword when attacking a zombie, deals 4 extra damage on a hit, enjoys +4 to active defenses to dodge a skeleton's scimitar, rolls vs Public Speaking+4 to stir up a torch n' pitchfork mob against a necromancer, etc.

Theoretically you could slap an Accessibility modifier on some skill points--for example, it's normally 4 points per +1 to a weapon skill, but Broadsword (Accessibility, Only on orcs, -40%) would let you get that +1 for only 2.4 points--but I don't think I've ever seen modifiers used like that.
>>
File: unknown.png (153 KB, 788x695)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>77010646
>>
File: Capture.png (30 KB, 684x702)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>77010646
Template Toolkit 1 p. 9
>>
>>77010748
Oops, that's attributes, not skills. Whatever.
>>
>>77010646
This is for Guns skill levels specifically, but it gives a good idea for other skills as well. Note that people that make use of a skill are not always trained in it, especially if they usually operate with enough bonuses to make it up (ease of task, extra time taken, or in this case the rapid fire bonus for unloading on something with an AK-47).
>>
>>77009998
There's a list of prebuilt monsters on the GURPS repository, for your reference.
>>
Did the guy making the bestiary die?
>>
>>77005123
Psionic Powers has the Blood Healing perk that lets you get 1 FP or HP from sapient creatures that you personally killed or mortally wounded
>>
File: Снимок.png (1.23 MB, 1331x891)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
What I really like about WFRP is career system. What I really dislike about it is everything else. So the idea is to bring career system into GURPS.

For those who don't know how it works:
1. When creating a character, you make two 1d100 roles on a career table. You may choose one of the results.
2. You get all the trappings for your starter career (plus basic "freebie" kit), as well as listed skills and talents, except for stuff listed as "or-or" - you have to pick between one of the options. You can buy skills and talents that you did not choose later on while you're still in the career.
3. For a single advance (worth 100 xp, you get one for free in the beginning) you can buy skill or talent, raise main attribute by 5%, raise secondary attribute by 1. Your advance scheme indicates by how much you can raise certain attribute in a current career.
4. If you bought everything in your career, you can spend 100xp to move into another career that is listed as one of your career exits (or you can spend 200xp to move into any basic career without finishing your current career). You don't get anything for free this time around, and you need to procure the trappings for you new career before you switch. You get a new advance scheme from your new career, but if any of attributes from the current advance scheme are higher, you keep them. If your new career has any skills that you already own, you can buy them the second or third time, giving you a +10 bonus each time.

So, how do I see it? Fantasy has plenty of 75-point templates that could serve as basic careers, though it would probably need some additional careers, mostly the civilian ones. Templates from Banestorm, as well as Dungeon Fantasy will serve nicely as Advanced careers. Obviously I would need to add exits and trappings (i.e. loadouts) separately.
>>
>>77013031
Very cool. Social Engineering: Back to School will be useful in determining how many years should pass between career changes.

>Templates from Banestorm, as well as Dungeon Fantasy will serve nicely as Advanced careers.
Don't forget that Dungeon Fantasy 15 has several 125-point and 62-point templates (and 125-point lenses) that also may be suitable for "basic careers".
>>
File: Снимок.png (34 KB, 454x466)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>77013031
Okay, so I compiled a list of templates in Fantasy, Banestorm and Dungeon Fantasy. Good haul overall - WFRP has 60 basic careers and 53 advanced ones, and here I have 72 careers in total, I think 125-point careers should as Basic careers (i.e. available on the start). In fact, the number may even be higher, as many DF templates have multiple lenses, and if we will start making Advanced careers by combining Henchmen templates with Custom Delver lenses, the number will quickly skyrocket.

>>77013243
>Social Engineering: Back to School will be useful in determining how many years should pass between career changes.
It kinda doesn't works that way. In WFRP it is assumed that your first starting career is what you were doing before you decided to become an adventurer, and other careers are obtained in course of adventuring, so time is not as important here.
>Don't forget that Dungeon Fantasy 15
NEVER! DF15 is one of my favorite DF books, so I was thinking about it right from the beginning.
>>
>>77013031
>basic careers
There's also the unofficial Historical Folks supplement (for 3e), which contains over a hundred very-low-power templates.
>advanced careers
3e also had the Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues series of template-focused books. Each of those contains 28 or 29 100-point templates, as well as thrice that number of example equipment loadouts.
Of course, however, using 3e templates will require conversion to 4e.
>>
>>77012235
Been taking a break from it and researching the history of witchcraft for a bit.
>>77013558
>There's also the unofficial Historical Folks supplement (for 3e), which contains over a hundred very-low-power templates.
I'm sure there's a 4th ed version too.
>>
>>77013734
>>77013558
I remembered there's Supporting Cast - Age of Sail Pirate Crew, which would be perfect because it seems other sources are rather light on naval templates.
>>
>>77013558
>>77013734
http://www.mygurps.com/historical_folks_4e.pdf
Relate - I can't believe mygurps still exists and still looks like a site from the 90s.
>>
File: CONSOOM.png (292 KB, 948x584)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
Reminder to support your favorite game developers.
>>
>>77013877
>Relate - I can't believe mygurps still exists and still looks like a site from the 90s.
That's the one part you should be able to believe. Web 1.0 is based.
>>
can someone give me a practical example of the difference between Impulsiveness and Overconfidence?
>>
>>77013887
>ten and a half cents per page
Seems fair to me. Maybe you're just poor?
>>
>>77014053
>Impulsiveness
Even if you aren't confident in your ability to win the fight, you still want to charge in and get it over with as soon as possible. Being hasty is not the same thing as being overconfident.
>Overconfidence
Even if organizing the plan will take longer than you would like, you still are supremely confident in your ability to execute that plan.

Being methodical is not the same thing as being overcautious. For example, a general with Overconfidence still may take the time to scout out the enemy force--but, if the scouts report that the enemy is too strong, he'll assume that they're just cowards and attack anyway.
>>
>>77014081
The filename is satirical; the comment is genuine.
>>
>>77013533
Ah fuck it, forgot all the 125-point careers from DF15. Oh well.
>>
>>77014053
Impulsiveness means you take actions without taking time to think them through or make a detailed plan, but your decision-making is generally not hindered beyond being rushed.
With Overconfidence, your actual judgement is unsound. You aren't in any great hurry; you can be complacent and passive in your overconfidence. You just assume that you will be able to handle stuff.
Impulsiveness is amphetamines, overconfidence is alcohol.
>>
>>77013887
>>77014081
>>77014277
Hm, this is such a weird packaging deal it's kind of hard for me to rate it. On the one hand it's not physical and that immediately makes the 500 dollar price point seem overly ambitious. Also, Pyramid magazines aren't like White Dwarf or some of the other famous RPG rags which had mountains of variety, news, 100 plus page counts, and original artwork and exclusive content. Then again, the Pyramid stuff is mechanically timeless and this is literally ALL of it. Going off price per page count isn't particularly wise in this regard. If I had to rate (and I've read a shit ton of Pyramid's content) I'd say three hundred dollars is a better asking price.
>>
>>77003625
>>77005062
Late reply, but thanks. Dull has what I was looking for, and the BT template got me thinking stuff around. Much appreciated.
>>
>>77013887
Just so we're clear, that is every Pyramid for 4th Edition? Well, that saves me buying them all individually, so I guess that's good.
>>
>>77017130
Pyramid Volume 3 (2008) = GURPS 4th Edition (2004)
Pyramid Volumes 1/2 (1993) = GURPS 3rd Edition (1988)
Roleplayer (1986) = GURPS 1st/2nd Edition (1986)
Or something like that.
>>
File: random ideas.pdf (38 KB, PDF)
38 KB
38 KB PDF
Anyone interested in a small collection of random little encounters? I put these together for wilderness/city settings. I'd love to have more suggestions and ideas.
>>
>>77013031
I remember there was several WFRPG conversions, where a big chunk of careers was covered
>>
File: Lenses.pdf (140 KB, PDF)
140 KB
140 KB PDF
>>77013031
Anon, I'm doing something very very similar. The traveler RPG *also* uses careers, called terms. Each term is 4 years exactly, and in those 4 years your character learns skills, has to make rolls to avoid failing that term, and can even have really negative things happen to them -- sometimes even death.

I've been working on converting such a system to GURPS myself, borrowing heavily from GURPS: Action 4: Specialists. It includes several 25-point lenses that can be added to what it calls the Basic Action Template, or BAT.

Essentially, I've made my own 50-point BAT that consists of basic skills everyone should have (a few levels in housekeeping, area knowledge, etc), as well as enough points to increase their attributes a bit and take an advantage or two. Additionally, they've got to take a few disadvantages.

After this, I run the players through a character creator quite similar to what you're describing. Each term, players select a career, roll vs. survival to see if they succeed for 4 years, and then they get to add all the points listed in the template. Because each term grants 25 points and character creation starts at 18, players will have 250 points at age 50. And luckily at 50, GURPS aging (B.444). Since most players want to play younger characters, they'll likely be between age 26-34 anyway, landing them somewhere between 100 and 150 points. Perfect for a low-powered, semi-realistic sci-fi game.

It's worked quite well so far, and if this is something you're also interested, let me know, we can collaborate together. I've attached my work so far. It's not perfect, and I have yet to write out injury and event tables, but it's coming along. There are typos and mistakes galore, this is still very much a work in progress.
>>
>>77019630
How did GURPS Traveller handle terms?
>>
>>77017388
>The party encounter a morose looking man at any part of the city they happen to be at, And bad things keep happening to him, and to the people around him, Fights break out in taverns he visits, Oil spills on the street where he walks, and he just happens to show up wherever the pc's are over and over, each time his mass unluck getting more and more dangerous
>The party encounters a ragged old coot selling "potions" in old beer bottles for high prices. On closer inspection, the potions are genuine and the old man is just a down on his luck alchemist
>An orphan is found eating trash off of the streets, if he is approached he runs down an alleyway and disappears. If the townsfolk are asked about it, they'll say they saw the same boy but never caught him either, including an old man who said he saw the same boy over 20 years ago
>The party encounters a guardsman buying from a drug dealer, The guardsman could bribe the party to look the other way if the party is spotted, threaten them, or maybe spill out an overlong over the top tragic backstory that reduced him to this state
>A young clueless merchant is trying to sell random junk on the street to no avail, he doesn't know what to sell where to sell or who to sell to, he might help out the party later on if they help him figure out this whole merchant thing. may also accidentally hold a powerful magic item
>>
>>77019743
It's skips it and run with basic GURPS chargen.
>>
I'd like to run some historical campaigns, since GURPS is ideal for that but I am always worried about
>being inadequate, and true history buff seeing through me
>things getting political just by roleplaying old world movements and philosophies
>people getting defensive when their country's failings come up (I am guilty of that sometimes)
>guys forgetting what technologies existed and did not in certain eras
>people expecting modern sensibilities and attitudes, playing their characters as such
>people not giving a shit about all the effort going through it, and would be just as happy with something else
What do you guys think? Any of these are legitimate? Some ways around them? Am I just overthinking it?
>>
>>77021444
I hear you, and I defiantly empathize. I love historical settings, but there are challenges.. so can I introduce you to..

The Historical Romance? Johnny Tremaine, Outlander, Turncoat, that Vikings show.. all take recognizable characters that you know from history class, draw the time in broad strokes with interesting details but minimal worries if things aren't perfect. It's more about mood.

Unless it makes the story better it's okay to gloss over things. Yeah, realistically people be unlikely to have perfect eye makeup and good teeth, but wouldn't it be cool if they did?
>>
>>77021444
>Any of these are legitimate? Some ways around them? Am I just overthinking it?

Yes and no.

Yes. You want to play a game not exactly reenact history. You also want "historical fiction" but are afraid of history buffs. I suggest you try for "alternate history" or "speculative history." Go for alternate universe so the details can be as close as your group can handle or is willing to work for and wave off anything outside that.

Yes.
>>
>>77021444
You really need to speak to your players to get a feel for what they are going to bring to the table and agree on the level of historical accuracy you are going for. Remember that historical games do not need to be historically accurate to be enjoyable. If you want to play Braveheart-level silliness, that is fine and avoids a lot of the issues you are worried about.
>>
>play ai dungeon out of boredom
>fight my druid master because why not
>he blocks all my spells and sends be back flying
>transform into a giant dinosaur
>his spells are suddenly useless, so I just bite his head off
Never thought I would want to make a dinosaur druid, but the concept seems very appealing now.
>>
Pyramid Volume 4 Kickstarter is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warehouse23/steve-jackson-games-gurps-pyramid-scheme/
Already funded for the initial articles. I expect that it will end up unlocking everything if the last kickstarter is any indication.
>>
I used DF 21 to generate six floors of a megadungeon just to see if I've still got some GM chops.

Mapped out in a notebook. Vague outlines of the rooms; picked from traps and monsters what would be normally encountered on each floor.

Central concept; Two days from nearest town, there is the Blasted remains of a city surrounding a giant crater/hole into the ground where the megadungeon is.

Entry into the megadungeon is done by entering the ultra-tech luxury elevator suspended over the centre of the hole by a giant steel grating floor. The elevator buttons are two; one to enter a random floor (delvers can't choose but can see what floor it stops at) and another to rise to the surface to exit.

Floor 1 is the abandoned sewers. Floor 2; The Golden Labyrinth. Floor 3; The Caverns of Chaos. Floor 4; a vast underground lake. Floor 5; Prison. Floor 6: Hideout of a Demon Cult.
>>
>>77025151
What method did you use when mapping out the dungeon? The toughest part of dungeon creation for me is the actual layout.
>>
Only good general (or thread in general) on /tg/.
>>
What happens if you have an illegal addiction but travel somewhere where whatever you're addicted to is legal? Do you have to pay points back? What if you then travel to somewhere where it's illegal again?
>>
>>77028899
Portal Realms p. 13 suggests that you have to pay the points if you take a "permanent exile" or a "prolonged stay" away from your "reference society".
>>
If I have Increased Consumption, can I just eat 3 double-sized meals a day instead of 6 normal sized ones?
>>
File: 1611008608567.jpg (139 KB, 2200x1677)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
How would I stat up something like Neuralink? Just a basic thing that can read and write data to a brain and connect to phones and computers wirelessly.
>>
>>77030857
See Ultra-Tech pp. 216-217.
>>
>>77028878
Yes, and consistently so.
>>
>>77029261
Please respond.
>>
>>77029261
I certainly would allow it. Eating two 1.5-sized meals (or one normal-sized meal and one double-sized meal) per day is a perfectly legitimate strategy IRL, and is explicitly endorsed on GURPS Middle Ages p. 60.
I don't think I would allow eating a meal bigger than double-sized, though, since it won't fit in your stomach; see Template Toolkit 2 p. 25.
>>
>>77023764
>Pyramid Volume 4
what
>>
>>77034004
>Now, with your support, we're launching the newest incarnation of this gaming magazine! Pyramid Volume Four, if this campaign is successful, will continue where the previous volume left off – with three new PDF issues covering the three classic themes of past, present, and future.
>>
>>77034038
>NOTE: This campaign is for three new issues only and is not a promise of any issues beyond those produced as part of this Kickstarter project. If there is enough interest and demand, we may return to Kickstarter in the future to expand Volume Four beyond these three issues.
>>
File: 7drHiqr.gif (973 KB, 312x213)
973 KB
973 KB GIF
>>77034038
>>
>>77029261
Shuffling things around is usually just a 0-point feature. You could consume six normal-sized meals, three big meals, or one colossal meal a day; you could even gorge yourself once a month on roughly 60 meals worth of food and it would still be a 0-point racial feature.
>>
>>77034048
Translation: pay us to make these and we'll only release them if we get paid enough, also if you don't like this specific offering we'll never do another kickstarter because it means nobody cares about GURPS anymore
>>
>>77023764
>more options for metatronic generators
Fuckin hell yeah
>>
>>77035811
I think gorging yourself once a month actually fits into certain advantages, either directly or through modifiers. I don't think that counts as a 0 point feature though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.