[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I want to break out of the creativity box of "Muscle Grug Conan man" for Barbarians before I play one.

Can /tg/ show me the other ways the class can be utilized?
>>
>>76903879
Just don't be grug. Grug is funny every now and then, but barbarians don't have to be dumb.

Focus on your backstory. Is he from the wilds? Make him cunning and perceptive, like a hunter. Is he more urban? Make him more like hired muscle, the kind of guy who's been in the underground street fighting circuit.
>>
>>76903879
Conan is nothing like Grug.
>>
My last barbarian was a dwarf who ended up getting lost in the feywild and was basically a 60's biker, minus the bike. A lot of fun to play.

The epitome of Barbarian, Conan, isn't even me am Grug. People constantly underestimate him, and it gives him the upper hand. Just because you are dumb doesnt mean you cant be cunning.
>>
File: northern barbarians.jpg (109 KB, 564x769)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>76903879
Learn about actual northern primitive cultures.
>>
>>76903879
Take from D&D's own 4e. What separates the Barbarian from the Fighter is that the Barbarian communes directly with the spirits. His strength may be, to an extent, his own, but his fighting prowess also involves channeling those spirits and being in concert with nature. Lean into that element, make him a deeply spiritual and wise man but still one that is capable of extensive physical fighting.
>>
File: henry.jpg (136 KB, 512x512)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>76903879
My current barbarian is just a simple peasant wood cutter. A big and strong wood cutter, with a big and strong axe.
He might be a bit on the simple side, but he definetly is no grug, he's just a bit at loss with some of the wonders of the adventures, and social environments with finer folk.
>>
>>76903879

Hi, Anon
im currently playing a barbarian in my campaign, and its alot of fun. Basicly its someone who desperatly wants to be a knight, but doesnt have the etiquette and temperance, it takes. Though she wants to be civil and kind, but ends up being quick to anger/treaten and reckless.
>>
File: jekyllilä.jpg (419 KB, 1280x1768)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>76903879
Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde. Rage is just you chigging down the potion Which is just a placebo. Water will do too in a pinch
>>
>>76904041
Fucking chukchi, man
>we are the only humans
>all other tribes are not actually human
>Russians are honorary humans whose purpose is to provide us with tea and tobacco
>>
>>76903879
Wasn't Conan actually incredibly intelligent? Sorry, I'm uncultured.
>>
File: barbarians.jpg (110 KB, 720x960)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>76903879
Alternatively, you can play a character that says nothing but
>bar bar bar
>>
>>76904040
I think one of the problems with D&D is how inconsistent it is about to what degree classes actually exist in game vs existing only as meta archetypes of characters. Are barbarians any fighting man from a barbarian culture? Are they people who have rage powers in general?

At least it isn't as bad as the bajillion different caster and divine classes, though.
>>
>>76903879

I made a trans barbarian once. Socially he was like Rupaul but in combat he would mock his enemies with intense battle cries in an English accent.
>>
>>76904455
So basically he was Eddie Izzard
>>
>>76904147
This why the term "barbarian" is such a shit name for the class. It presumes you are some from retarded tribe somewhere instead of just being a mountain man or someone a bruiser-type thug, or whatever else you can think of
>>
>>76904534
What would you call it instead? Most people understand the term barbarian refers to any strong, wilderness man because it's a cultural archetype at this point.
>>
>>76904054
So, if I wanted to play a celtic/druid knight type character that communed with forest spirits, I'd actually be best going Barbarian?
>>
>>76903879
Build up your Background and add some class traits.
>>
>>76904596
Specifically because of the choice of "Knight type", yeah. Sure, you still have druids, but you can think of the barbarian as a swole druid with a weapon.
>>
File: 1573558467678.jpg (128 KB, 850x1100)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>76904671
where is the rest?
>>
>>76904563
Beserker
>>
>>76904563
Brute
>>
Grug = Retard Strength reddit meme man
Conan = Philosophical King, Cunning and was also good at stealth and sexing ladies.
>>
Make an Aasimar Barbarian and theme him off mythic demigods. Arjuna, Gilgamesh, Achilles, etc. Alternatively/additionally, go full Shulgi.

https://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/section2/tr24202.htm
>>
>>76904034
This anon is correct. Let us imagine, for the sake of argument, that Grug and Conan each find themselves the butt of a yo mamma joke in a rowdy tavern. Grug would say "grr, nobody talks of Grug's mother like that!" before ripping the man's arm off and beating him to death with it.

Meanwhile, Conan would say something like "Is that blathering the civilized man's recourse? By Crom! The rot and cowardice of this decadent land reaches farther still than I was aware of. Know that you would be so many feathers and fluff before the muscles of a good Cimmerian woman - and also that one cannot slight a good Cimmerian man thusly!" before ripping the man's arm off in one pantherish motion and beating him to death with it.
>>
>>76904960
Conan sounds like a self-insert without any expected ontological link.
>>
File: .jpg (25 KB, 618x412)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>76903879
Watch Taboo with Tom Hardy (BBC drama) for the best rogue/barbarian multiclass ever.
>>
>>76903879
office worker (or guild clerk, something like that) who has a really bad day and just snaps
>>
File: Characterizaion Guide.jpg (373 KB, 736x2208)
373 KB
373 KB JPG
>>76904816
https://tiyl.twolfe.co.uk/
I'm still working on expanding the other classes, but you can use this which has the other classes base stuff to work with. It also has background quirks and personality traits too.
If you like to go beyond that, have a guide I like using.
>>
>>76904960
this fucker knows what he's talking about, that is 100% Conan
>>76905060
Yes. He was a popular power fantasy for many, and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>76904960
>pantherish
This was the biggest thing I noticed reading Conan stories back to back, Howard compares Conan to a big cat at least once in each story.
>>
I once made a black metal barbarian/bard (dnd 5e). He was a revenant that would be possessed by a symbiotic demonoid that granted him his inhuman strength (zealot). He also was proficient in screaming as his instrument. Was it edgy, yes. Was it fun, yes.
>>
>>76904034
Is Conan even a Barbarian? Like I know he's THE Barbarian but mechanically Conan is actually pretty educated and his fighting style is refined and he doesn't tend to "Rage" in fights. Sure the aesthetic of the barbarian is based on him at certain points when he happens to be half naked but Conan wears armor all the time when it fits the situation.

He's more a Fighter with maybe a few levels in Rogue.
>>
>>76904479
>”Cake or death?”
>>
>>76905439
Howard constantly notes that Conan mostly just uses his raw strength and natural fighting abilities to win over technically more skilled opponents, such as the captain of a crew.
>>
>>76903879
I'm sorry to say, but if you can't figure out a way to do that by yourself, you might be retarded.
>>
>>76904266
Yes, and most people who met him soon picked up on the fact he was a lot smarter than the stereotypical Cimmerian, although many still under-estimated him, usually to their cost. He spoke an amazing number of languages, was an excellent tactician, a capable politician, picked up a bit of magic, and was pretty much the best woodsman in the world, as well as being one of the strongest, most agile, best looking and, eventually, richest. 1930s pulp writers didn't really have a concept of 'Mary Sue'.
>>
File: file.png (2.55 MB, 870x1383)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB PNG
Truth be told, "Barbarian" really only translates to not being an affiliate of some greater civilization, and even within the realm of D&D, it never explicitly states them to be Unga Bunga Grug Smash. The latest Barb I made was just some African-themed traveler from a warrior cult that placed heavy emphasis on attaining apotheosis via the letting of "powerful blood", and as such travels everywhere seeking his desired godhood by slaying only the most potent of beasts while evangelizing his blood cult's belief system. Other than that, he's mostly a gourmand and has a particularly discriminating palette due to invitations to royal feasts as thanks for his "services". Worse yet is due to the murderhobo life our adventurers deal in, his access to necessary additives to his own cooked meals is almost nonexistent and shitty adventurer slop is almost inedible to him. You need to think outside of the box, and it's not hard to make something fun out of nothing.
>>
>>76903879
Literally just roleplay something else
>>
>>76904881
This one sums it up better without implying all the barbarian context
>>
File: vrng.jpg (34 KB, 343x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>76903879
>>
File: 1559747211129.jpg (259 KB, 601x839)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
>>76903879

Get guantlets and fluff them as adamantine prayer beads wrapped around your fist.

You were a monk who was injured when your temple was brutally murdered so now your brain-damage and spiritual power makes you into a vengence crazed Akuma tier monster.

Also, there should be a Path that allows for partial demon possession either willful or otherwise because that would be cool.
>>
File: Human Female Barbarian.jpg (133 KB, 811x1147)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>76903879
To me the way you make a barbarian feel different is by how you roleplay, and how you can make the Rage mechanic different imo. Roleplay is subjective, so that is down to the player, but simple ways are to change the Rage. Rage is pretty basic... you get mad... grrr... you can flavor it as a trance, you could even go as far to say you activate it with a drug or something in combat, or ultra instinct if you really want to try that.
Make your barbarian a character, not a cliche
>>
>>76904334
offtopic: what a disappointment, I wanted to keep reading the adventures of barbarbar the chibi barbarian and the roman legions and looked for its source. But it's just that image.
>>
>>76907047
centurii-chan herself is pretty cute though, no hetero

https://youtu.be/aokNkXxPAu0
>>
File: Richard App.png (8 KB, 200x296)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>76903879
A downtrodden miner who lost everything when his estranged wife left him and he lost his job, and is looking for revenge on the society that took it all away from him.
>>
File: 1438616667306.jpg (236 KB, 500x971)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>76903879
Part of me really wants to make a Path of the Zealot Barbarian one day, and play it like a Sister Repentia pastiche.
>>
>>76903879
>Vuman Barbarian Sage/Cloistered scholar/Haunted one
>Flavor rage as your shadow self rearing its ugly head; roleplay it as being an inverse of all of your characters good/bad traits
>>
>>76904945
This but make him more like Samson than some degenerate false deity.
>>
>>76906896
Ive always enjoyed the idea of a Samurai-like character that just focuses really hard in a silent rage.
>>
I once had a barbarian character who came from an "exotic" foreign land where society was a little bit more blunt and brutal. He was a hunter of both beasts and men recreationally and literally didn't see the ethical difference in hunting either (neither does his entire culture). Part of his home warrior culture was channelling pure, bestial bloodlust during the heat of battle which would be induced by snorting a particular powdered root.

He was acted strange and not at all there to the people around him. A true foreigner.

Inspired by pic related.
>>
>>76903879
Read fantasy books, preferably sword and sorcery. Authors from when S&S was at its peak loved to write thoughtful, barbaric hunks.
>>
File: 1600771053247.png (1.06 MB, 1000x667)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>76903879
It's not bad for your first barb, but really it's all in the story you build around them. Mine was a haunted elephant man who hunted poachers and worked as a bounty hunter while using the ghosts of his herd to help him fight. An otherwise calm and balanced individual who could let out incredible violence when necessary, but was far from the typical grog.
>>
>>76903879
Nigga with a cursed sword that contains an evil demon.
>>
>>76903879
I toyed with an idea of barbarians tribe being at war with a civilized nation and slowly, bust surely losing, so he was sent out to figure out the civilized peoples secrets so they can be used in defense of their ancestral lands
>>
File: DONTEK-IIS-BAEST-IN-GAEME.png (4.28 MB, 4961x7016)
4.28 MB
4.28 MB PNG
>>76903879
Play a lizardfolk barbarian.

You get stealth as a racial skill (which is perfect for playing a true conan type) and you get the philosophy that the natural ways are best and civilized society with laws and shit just make more problems than they're worth. With a decent wisdom you know inherently what is good without memorizing every detail the eggheads think is useful.

Fantastic source of roleplay. Also, you can be a giant crocodile.
>>
>>76903879
I always thought you could run a Barbarian as a monk pretty well.

Someone who embraced the Barbarism as a spiritual quest and actively chooses to rejects the comforts of civilization to home their body and mind. What people mistake for "Rage" is them entering some sort of highly focused trance where they transcended the fear of physical pain.
>>
>>76903879
paladin mix and RP with the rage being something draw from a source then just a retard REEEEEE
>>
File: Slaine-the horned god.jpg (98 KB, 869x1280)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I always loved the way Slaine raged.
He'd draw energy from his goddess, then he'd start deforming into this grotesque lump of muscles and rage. Basically that one barbarian type with divine powers.

Outside of combat he was more like a Conan Barbarian. Smart and stoic.
>>
Polytheist barbarian fearful of the gods, prays to every god he knows about so they won't smite him
>>
File: 1608581184690.png (977 KB, 1624x1464)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
>>76903879
Possessed by a GHOOOOOOOST.
>>
>>76904225
I've made a character like that.
He's a scholar, the librarian of a famous wizard. Pretty knowledgeable, even though he isn't a mage himself.
He's a barbarian because he has a really short fuse and have more strength than the average bookworm (thanks to experiments done by said wizard)
>>
>>76903879
>I want to break out of the creativity box of "Muscle Grug Conan man" for Barbarians before I play one.
Here
>>
>>76904960
>one pantherish motion
This is how you know this guy's actually read Howard
>>
>>76903879
My friend played a monk who used the barbarian class. Her "rage" was just going into a battle trance where she was completely calm and unphased by anything.
>>
>>76907595
Stealth Barbarians are the shit. They feel like playing a sentient grenade.
>>
>>76903879
play it like a fighter. it can be a standard man at arms type warrior. fluff the rage mechanic as intense focus, or even controlled bloodlust. keep the mechanics, but change the fluff description. do note, you can't escape the muscle man box, as the class runs on str/con. but that does not demand dumb or uneducated.
>>
>>76905439
>Is Conan even a Barbarian
A pre-D&D outlander scorning rotting husks of civilizations.

Yes.
>>
>>76903879
I made a Zealot of Waukeen barbarian. Basically his whole shtick was "I fight for the ability of everyone to trade freely and fairly". He had a very narrow set of interests in operations of trade caravans and knew when someone was trying to screw him.

He also was a tailor on the side, since getting into "aggressive negotiations " usually meant his clothes would rip.

But his sheer belief in free barter drove him into a holy rage when confronted with inequality in access to trade.
>>
File: 1553887637413.jpg (360 KB, 882x1200)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
I kinda like the idea of taking Path of the Ancestral Guardian, and playing it like a shonen protagonist channeling the power of friendship.
>>
>>76904232
Don't forget the viking-like raids across the Bering Sea to kill and loot Eskimos in Alaska for fun. The last Chukchi raid on Alaskan Eskimos happened in 1947, supposedly a Soviet diversion. But then again, the USSR was poor as fuck and Chukchi just wanted to steal shiny capitalist toys.
>>
An idea I've had is playing a 7ft tall ripped human farmer who lost is family and farm in a fire set by bandits. He lost his shit and killed all the bandits in his burning field and got some sick scars.

Now he goes off with his scythe trying to help people from experiencing what happened to him and his family.

He has good instincts and a connection to the land as a farmer, isn't comfortable in big heavy armor so keeps it simple, was never trained in combat so uses less technique and more strength, and uses the memory of his families death as the fuel for his rage.

Pretty much like >>76904147 said, I think this is a fun shake up on the barbarian archetype.
>>
I used the bear totem barbarian class to play an intelligen castellan in service of the tzar. He did have some bearwarrior ancestry but didnt even know about it. he was just a big guy with glasses who was real dangerous when he got mad
>>
>>76904596
You'd certainly have a better chance of playing that than an actual barbarian, with 4e's Barbarian class, which was more mystic primitivist warrior-shaman than an actual barbarian. It's a class so terrible in it's adherence to concept that the stink still taints 5e's barbarian
>>
>>76903879
Well you could flavor the rage differently could go from a shaman calling for power, to drugged out rage, focused state, answered prayer from the gods or patron, battle trance, or even a ghostly possession.
For what the character might be, well a shaman, gladiator, hunter, medium, servant/follower/zelot of a patron/God, pretty much a strength monk, junkie the combination of a few there are plenty of options.
I really enjoyed playing a medium shamantic barbarian who would let his body be taken over by a ghost only during "rage". Played it as a symbiotic relationship with the ghost.
>>
>>76903879
>haha 5e bad
Moving on.

Here's my advice:
>"Conan-esq" and "Grug" are two different things.
I know most people don't know much about Conan or the barbarians in his world, but he wasn't stupid, nor was he exclusively driven by rage. Conan was a hero. If you have a decent understanding of Conan's stories, he's actually a decent character to emulate. Traditional, sure, but not bad.
Grug is basically only defined by "big strong muscle man with no brain". Grug is bad.

>Play a character with a defined skill
I know barbarians are not built to have many skill proficiencies, but giving your character a skill that they've focused on can give them some dimension that most barbs don't have. Maybe they're an excellent woodcarver, play a good lute, or have a keen understanding of nature.

>Non-traditional personality traits for barbs
Such as being reserved, contemplative, thoughtful, well-spoken, or uncertain.

>Instead of being born a barbarian, they choose the life of barbarism
A child born to a warrior class that then masters unarmored combat? Boring! What about a noble scholar that became jaded about his life, disowned all his belongings, and went into the wilderness to become a force of nature!

>Just, in general, be intelligent
Take the hit during character creation. Instead of a +3 to STR and CON, take +2s and buff that INT a little. Surprise the party by being proficient in things they didn't expect and saying things that they'd never expect to come out of a meathead's mouth.

>Multiclass into something
Rogue is cool, and also really busted mechanically speaking.
Ranger is flavorful and works well, especially if you don't really use the spells.
Paladin is the same.
Casters are usually a bad choice, since you can't cast spells while raging, but you could forego the rage to cast spells, theoretically. If I had to suggest a caster to multi into, probably warlock? Hexblade is probably a good pick. War cleric as well.
>>
>>76913912
>I know most people don't know much about Conan or the barbarians in his world, but he wasn't stupid, nor was he exclusively driven by rage. Conan was a hero. If you have a decent understanding of Conan's stories, he's actually a decent character to emulate. Traditional, sure, but not bad.

Conan was a drunken mercenary. He would kill anyone or steal anything for money, and then he spends all his money as quickly as he can.

Conan's time as king (in his first published story no less) shows you that he is actually a person of tremendous integrity, because he does the best he can to take care of his kingdom. But Conan the king was also completely fucking miserable. He never WANTED to take care of anyone else, and he spent the rest of his days just wishing he could go kill some fuckers and then get drunk after.

Conan wasn't a typical cimmerian, Conan was a cimmerian screwball with addictions and wanderlust. He was a quick learner and a decent philosopher and he spoke dozens of languages but he truly was a thug at heart.

(Not to say that he was a bad character, you're right, he's a very interesting character and he really isn't a typical barbarian)
>>
>>76903879
Use your imagination. Fuck I hate class fantasy and it's brain rot.
>>
>>76914147
don't be a cunt anon, OP is at least trying to evolve rather than your constantly shitposting simian brain
>>
>>76906868
>chukchi
monk/blood hunter? with point dip in barb?
>>
>>76903879
One of my favorite characters was a female dragonborn barbarian who was an ex-merc absentee alcoholic mom with anger issues. I'd send home postcards and money, along with whatever souvenirs came up, like twenty arrowheads that had hit me while raging. Civilization is nice and all, but my character was really good at giving and receiving damage, and the pay was better than squaring up to past failures and becoming a better person.
>>
File: IMG_0692.png (520 KB, 774x731)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
>>76903879
Cute anime gril, but yangire.
>>
>>76903879
I've always wanted to play a barbarian based off of a viking.
Sure, he rages and pillages, but he'll also pawn off some neat spoons and pelts he got in far away lands at great prices, and he's a heck of a sailor.
And I would give him a ridiculous Sweedish accent because it's one of the voices I can manage.
>>
>>76903879
If you're playing shitty 5e, a halfling Dex barbarian can be utilized to turn them into an unstoppable cockblocking machine. Essentially allows you to move unrestricted through crowds of enemies, wasting their AaO and potentially rooting them at higher levels.
>>
>>76904041
>we have invented foolproof armor, m'lord!
>this large, unwieldy wing shield prevents any assault from the rear!
>whilst this thick, tightly bound woven skirt protects the crotch and legs, and prevents any cowardly archers from running away from approaching melee units!
>>
>>76907545
Based sketch technique anon
>>
File: transformation.jpg (308 KB, 1332x2063)
308 KB
308 KB JPG
You can pretty much boil the mechanics of a barbarian down to "tough melee combatant that undergoes some change X to become temporarily stronger", and everything else is roleplay (i.e, can be anything you like).

Dr Jekyll has been discussed, and the Incredible Hulk is that same concept, but Lycanthropy has always been a good fit, and you can always go completely off the wall and make something like Venom.
>>
>>76907369
>>76903879
OP, this guy right here.

I made a barbarian once that was from a normal village on the outskirts of civilization. No ungabunga, just farmhands, hunting, town celebrations, wood homes, etc.

Cared for his little sister after his parents were slain in an Orc raid, and he barely escaped after saving her. Years later, he's taking care of the both of them, the quite giant of a young man who doesn't say much, but is pleasant silent company and is good at hunting.

Then while out on a hunting trip, his whole village was attacked, only this time it was completely razed to the ground by a warband. He comes home to find corpses, burnt homes, and what he can barely make out as the chared corpse of his sister.

No more warm nights by the town bonfire, no more celebrations or feasts with his fellow townsfolk, and he'll never see his sister smile in innocent joy again.

With these thoughts in his mind, he notices stragglers from the warband picking through the wreckage of the village. Of course he snaps at this point, but not in the way a barbarian is known to rage.

>His eyes go focused
>his mind clears
>There's a cold, dense, unshakable and silent fury in his heart

Then he slowly walks over, casually picks up an axe an Orc dropped, and before the thing could react, he cleaves it right through the torso, before swiftly tearing through the rest of them without a cry of rage or even an angry expression.

Just focus. Cold, furious focus, enough for him to break the limits of his body and become something more deadly.

But that's just my dude, you can do other things like;
>Possesed by a spirit of rage
>Always have been an angry brute
>Bloodlust
>etc
>>
>>76903879
A barbarian who becomes super focused when enraged has been done? like if he overdosed with adderal
>>
File: Blood-Knight-TV-Tropes.png (571 KB, 748x636)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>76903879
>>
>>76903961
This.

My barbarian is a 1/3 orc, 1/3 elf, 1/3 human (stated as a half-orc. the other 2/3s are just flavor approved by my DM so it doesn't bog him down too much) tomboy from a small town where different races lived in harmony, and just wanted to get out and see the world.
In her schooling she was more into phys ed than book learning, which explains why her INt isn't high. Learned, but would rather hit than think it out some times.
The rage aspects comes more from her frustration for not being able to hit or kill anything. Had it first as a racial thing because she a mutt and used to get made fun for it, but kinda thought the first one was funnier as i started playing.
>>
>>76903879
I ran a flagellant once. The reason I made her a barbarian because it seemed like the best class to rep someone getting hurt on purpose. A lot of fun. The core of barbarians is the heightened emotions od combat, so maybe if you want to explore what the class can do maybe you can start there. I don't mind muscle grug, though.
>>
File: spray.jpg (9 KB, 223x194)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>76917922
No. Bad anon.
>>
>>76903879
Just need something to get REAL mad about. For example, I made a goliath barbarian whose backstory involves her entire village being enslaved by a corrupt wizard in order to excavate an ancient artifact. When it was finally dug up, the wizard sought to power it by feeding it the souls of her kin, and in a moment of absolute rage, she grabbed the first blunt object she could see and smashed both the mage and the artifact at the same time, causing a massive burst of arcane energy which killed the wizard and infused my barbarian with wild magic. Though the remaining members of her clan travelled to neighboring mountains, seeking new haven among other clans, she went down into the world, as she decided that killing one evil-does wasn't enough, that the world must be rid of any who'd dare harm the innocent for their own gain. Fueled by vague, ancient arcane forces and the fury of watching her husband and child killed before her, she hunts the wicked.
>>
>>76903879
Their rage isn't anger, it's something else. Maybe a cool, focused trance, or a supernatural force of theirs manifesting.
>>
>>76904960
10/10, anon
>>
I once had a player run a "Florida man" archetype as a barbarian for a one shot. The whole gag was that he was a soft-spoken hick from a backwater town who seemed kind and gentle. Then he did a ton of drugs before combat, started breserking and then tried to do some wacky "Florida man" thing once the encounter was over. I think the character would be annoying if played in a serious campaign, but it was alright as a one-time joke.
>>
Conan was a well travelled superstitious hillman who spoke multiple languages and was a natural leader of men
If you equate conan to "grug smashy man" you are a fucking Poseur and have no right rolling a barbarian
>>
>>76918193
I'm irritated that the different race parts don't have a base that's a power of two. Who fucked who in your family tree?
>>
>>76905439
>>76904960

So the stereotype about shitty conan style barbarians is they are little better than primitive hicks vs well travelled nomadic warriors who learned a plethora of good insults from their experiences on top of their fighting skills?
>>
There's lots of way to reflavor Barbarians, mostly revolving around Rage (as Rage is the defining feature of the class).
Some of the ideas I've gone with in the past:
>Lizardman raised by dwarves who carved runes into his scales to allow him to feel rage and kick serious ass
>Young, uncharismatic human who is haunted by the ghost of his warrior ancestor who occasionally takes over his body
>Human-passing Half-Orc who's dad was a Tanarukk, raging turns him into a small version of that.
>Disgraced Human knight who was cast down unfairly by one of his fellows, his "rage" is just him mentally replacing the image of all his enemies with said fellow and sperging out
>>
File: Hawkgirl-Cartoon.png (113 KB, 321x240)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
Nutshit in combat, but a friendly, laid back, and down to earth person when you aren't actively killing people or getting drunk.
>>
File: 1510644821889.gif (2.56 MB, 462x254)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>76909324
Huh, The more I think about it, Yeah that would fit.
>>
>>76918193
>My barbarian is a 1/3 orc, 1/3 elf, 1/3 human
that... your family would have to be interbreeding for at least five generations for this to be possible.
>>
>>76904881
>>76904934
These are both good suggestions, but they share the similar setback in that there are going to be characters of that class who aren't brutes or berserkers.

Like how a fighter might try to be a pacifist despite their training. The class is still called fighter for simplicity's sake.
>>
File: images (15).jpg (29 KB, 400x550)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>76903879
My barbarian is actually a refined and stoic stone golem, made by a great wizard to protect him and aid in his research of the arcane. I rolled pretty well on my stats so I ended up with a solid 15 on intelligence, and so in the absence of a wizard in the party he's actually both the smartest and the only one who has proficiency in the information skills we need. It's good shit.
>>
Character was born to a barbarian tribe but was somehow separated from them and raised in a castle as a ward to a nobleman.
Tries to maintain proper manners and etiquette at all times, gets embarrassed/disappointed with himself after raging.
>>
>>76903879
Had a player roll a zealot barbarian whose rage was just going into a semi-divine trance that made him a more efficient killer. All you need to do is separate effect versus fluff and you can do almost anything with any class
>>
File: flagellant4.jpg (84 KB, 1280x874)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>76929282
I used zealot barbarian to do pic related. I had my character use a flail and rant about the light through bloody lips while he raged.
>>
>>76915945
Courtesy of an anon in the draw threads. I never got their name, but damn do I consider myself lucky
>>
>>76903879
the only other alternative to grug my puny brain can comprehend is a Guts clone. stoic and calm, but loses himself in blood-thirst.
>>
An entire class built around a single emotion leads to a lot of similar, 1 dimensional characters. Who'da guessed.
>>
File: hello.jpg (65 KB, 720x480)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>76903879
Reflavor your greatsword, and go after the six-fingered man. Do it.
>>
>>76929197
You don't have to call yourself a barbarian in character. When was the last time a fighter called himself a fighter in-character?
>>
The whole problem is that you're thinking in a "class" mindset. Think of the character before assigning the class, or better yet play a system without classes.
>>
>>76903879
My current character for inspiration I guess
>variant human Wild Magic Barbarian with the Magic Initiate Feat
>took Prestidigitation, Fire Bolt and Chaos Bolt from Sorcerer list
>comes from a prolific family of sorcerers and is the only one in generations that isn’t a magical prodigy
>barely had control over his powers and only has a couple things he can do consistently (feat spells)
>is mostly a nice guy despite growing up as the black sheep of the family, but loses his temper when pushed
>when he gets angry his powers flair up but he has no control over what magical effects start emanating from him

He’s been pretty fun. And being “unarmored” means he’s going aggro in fancy noble clothes most always
>>
>>76929315
I did something similar, a flagellant woman who was growing out of her own skin.

I love the zealot barbarian class, and idk most barb subclasses seem to do a better job of spiritual warrior than either paladin or monk do. I have a concept for a gallic Oathsworn that would be Ancestor Guardian barbarian.
>>
>>76903879
The barb I'm playing right now was a famous athlete before becoming an adventurer. He's untrained in combat despite being naturally athletic, and his rage issues are the reason he's no longer welcome as an athlete.
>>
>>76903879
One character I DMed was basically a Dragonborn cyborg / warforged hybrid. Their version of rage was not them getting more emotional but less- they would enter "kill mode" and all non-murder functionalities shut down and were replaced with kill kill kill kill.
and kill they did.
>>
>>76903879
last time i played s character with barbarian levels i splashed some paladin levels and played his as a viking berserker that fought for the honor of his clan and faith in the Raven Queen. I fluffed the paladin levels as actually winning honor for his faith and goddess for both victory in combat and holding feasts with ceremonies in her honor.

Outside of combat he was a stern but fair father figure that took it upon himself to teach the sheltered sorceress of the party how to survive in the wilderness. Mostly because she reminded him of his sister.
>>
>>76903879
You ever see The Outlaw King? I have a sheet written up for a barbarian based on Douglas from there. Grug isn't bad, but when everyone has a Grug, it looses it's charm.
>>
>>76903879
Pic related is an excellent example of an "urban barbarian". Nobody would ever doubt that Amos has "barbarian character traits" but he's clearly very intelligent and ruthlessly cunning.
>>
>>76916121
If you want the symbiote to be always on your person, ycould even fluff it as specifically Flash Thompson's "Agent Venom" gig.
>you're buffed from human normal by the symbiote's strength while pacified (normal agent venom look)
>"rage" is allowing the symbiote to have a bit more control (whenever flash starts to lose control)
>>
>>76933847
Amos: "I would like to Rationalize the following extremely violent action with the following reasoning: I want to"
>>
>>76934106
He's Best Boy and nothing can change my mind.
>>
>>76903879
Conan's not an idiot.

Robert E Howard defined Civilization as a corrupting force, masking the instincts and nature of man to allow decadent, weak, flabby men to trick and abuse the masses. He saw barbarity as man's true nature, urbanization as an aberration, and history's lesson a tale of how all civilizations will inevitably be reabsorbed by barbarians.

He saw, "civilization" as a form of decline, as the virtues of the people and their worth lowers. Barbarians then are a re-infusion of vigor, as they takeover decadent lands and restore a vibrancy capable of great growth once more.

He and Lovecraft argued over these ideas in a series of letters collected in a few hard-to-find books. Lovecraft's thesis was a near antithesis. He saw savages as a pre-human state of madness and civilization as the only hope of clear thinking. Yet as his settings tell, he had fears that his beliefs were false and primitive peoples really might understand the workings of the universe better than urbanites, who were only deluding themselves about how bad things really are.

>>76905581
No, there are many combats where Conan's described as far more skilled with a blade than his adversaries
>soft palace guards in decorative armor haven't had a real fight in years
>screaming pict savages swing wildly
>>
>>76928287
That could work
>>
File: 1586732259455.jpg (52 KB, 680x928)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Make him a psychopath.

I'm not kidding. This isn't a meme. I'm being 110%, here.

Make him sociable, even well spoken if Charisma isn't a dump stat for you. A likeable personality, maybe a background that makes him look normal. If he has a weapon, make it an axe or a hammer, so it has a function outside of bisecting bandits. Have him engage with the other characters and get to know them. Study them and get on their good side. Hell, go drinking with them. Slip in a few remarks that, taken out of context, might be disturbing.

And then, when they're convinced... You go into your rage. Not a lips-frothing, screaming at the top of your lungs, blood curdling, Odin-possessed-berserker rage.

Just let all the warmth and friendliness from before slip away. Let the jovial tone and the friendly banter vanish like smoke. Hell, drop everything about him when you hit that button-- but keep the smile. Because the smile is the kicker. The smile is the tether, reminding you that the person you're about to see is the same as the one you just met.

And then let him stride into battle, smiling mutely as he disembowels and decapitates. Have him rip people apart with his bare hands if he has to. Get him in there and have him kill with silent, psychopathic serenity, mutilating and desecrating with glee, and when it's over? Have him stand up straight and go right back to Mister Sunshine like nothing even happened. Don't even acknowledge it. Just move on.

Make him a psychopath.
>>
>>76925840
>>76929143
Character's mother was full blown Orc, father was half elf. My math on how that breaks down isn't the best.
Probably half-orc/ half half-elf, I have no clue.

>I'm irritated that the different race parts don't have a base that's a power of two

Believe me, I kinda felt the same a bit. I gave my DM different options how to stat her, but in the end, he just said half-orc because he was "easier on his brain."
>>
>>76934129
"Who's Prax?"
"He's my best friend in the whole world."
>>
Depending on the edition, they often have good mobility perks. Play a hit and run character that pulls viet cong stuff on more heavily armed creatures.

Unfortunately, in 3e, any kind of intelligent tactics is usually inferior to spending another round spamming your best attack, but maybe 5e is different.
>>
>>76926235
the modern barbarian stereotype is more based on the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie than on the books.
>>
File: ConanStats.gif (20 KB, 862x366)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
>>76905439
According to Gygax himself he's a Fighter/Thief but I don't think barbarian was a class back then.

http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2010/06/gygax-on-conan.html
>>
>>76935447
I also found some stats for Elric of melnibone.
Apparently he's level 69
>>
>>76918193
>bizarre mongrel hybrid
>tomboy
>just wants to explore the world
This is a bad character.
>>
>>76903879
I mean, the totemic one sounds more like an Indian warrior Winnetou or dark Africa savage than your typical Norse berserker.

Here's a good idea: play the Lawful Good folk hero barb. He wants to help everyone but he's too uncivilized/uncouth/short tempered to be a Paladin.
>>
>>76935447
He's also a fighter/thief because he was a thief in some of his stories
>>
>>76903879
Play a larping autist who's convinced he's got a demon inside of him. He doesn't, but he really wants to.
>>
File: dd7.jpg (87 KB, 768x549)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>76935534
found some more stat blocks /tg/ might like
>>
>>76935720
>>
>>76935757
>>
>>76935773
>>
>>76935825
>>
>>76903879
If you think Conan is a grug, you actually never read any Conan story.
Conan is a very smart character, surprisingly refined and knowledgable in my domains, and he often uses his look to fool his opponents who mistake him for a big dumb brute (and then he outsmarts them completely).
>>
>>76935854
>>
>>76906896
Cold, icy form of rage > Fiery, blinding rage
>>
File: hisoka mad.png (287 KB, 662x347)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
>>76918601
Not always. I think Hisoka from HxH is a incredibly well-written "Blood Knight" character.
>>
>>76903879
If they are from a primitive culture, aim to make them the epitome of a primitive. Self-reliant enough to make their own tools or simply do without them. Capable of building their own shelter for winter if need be. a hunter, a tracker, a survivor that puts everything into what they do, and puts the most value in what (and who) is the most useful to seeing another sunrise.
>>
>>76936015
fuck off weeb, hxh is fucking awful
>>
>>76903879
Just off the top of my head:

* native American expy. Wear body paint. Go into battle whooping and hollering. Your rage is a war dance, as much art as fighting style.

* Nordic style raider. You come from an adjacent-to-civilization kingdom that specializes in raiding and pillaging. Your culture focuses around oral tradition and song, and barbarians come from the ruling class. Your rage is becoming possessed by the glacier, cold and implacable.

* fallen kingdom survivor. Your barbarian belongs to the crumbling remnants of a former great power. Your manners are alien and inscrutable. Your rage is fueled by inhaling powders made of exotic plants from your homeland.

* dervish. Your barbarian hails from a warrior caste that takes out their bloodlust on the world's and the untouchables. Your rage is divine, sanctified by your culture's God of destruction.

Just some ideas.
>>
>>76936291
>* fallen kingdom survivor. Your barbarian belongs to the crumbling remnants of a former great power. Your manners are alien and inscrutable. Your rage is fueled by inhaling powders made of exotic plants from your homeland.

>>76907471
>>
>>76936337
Whoops, should've finished the thread. Yes, exactly like that.
>>
>>76934681
No worries anon family math is easy as fuck. always take half of what each parent is, put 'em together and that's it. An American mom and a German dad makes you .5 American and .5 German for example. So your character is 1/2 orc and 1/4 of both elf and human.
>>
>>76903879
A barbarian whose rage is based on fear rather than anger might be interesting.
>The only survivor of a great, bloody disaster that killed all other of his tribe, journied to the great cities of the setteled folk because the wilds no longer felt safe.
>Every fight is a fight for survival so he fights desperately, like he's always backed into a corner.
>Living in the wilds has taught him that dangerous predators could attack from anywhere and at anytime, especially at night.
>Harbours suspicions against magic and magic-users, not so much out of barbarian pride, it's just something he isn't familliar with and therefore something probably out to kill him.
>When raging he fights not like a bear or a panther but like a rat.
>The smell of blood bring old memories of fighting for survival to the surface and may trigger rage/paranoia.
>Loyal to the party because being a member of a group improves his odds of survival in these strange lands. Still, the odds are never perfect, remember that.
>>
Playing a monk-type dude with a large stick a la monkey sun wu kong, the best member of the DK krew.

His rage sends him into a state of utter bliss where time is slowed for him and pain means nothing to him.
>>
File: nii7990iort11.jpg (426 KB, 2400x2400)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>76903879
Play ancestral guardian. Write short backstories and descriptions for all the different ancestral spirits that you summon. Play into the gimmick and good ideas and praise from the dm will come your way.
>>
>>76905439
Conan may have started as a Barbarian, but he multiclassed into fighter fairly fast. In 5e he probably had thief stuff in his background rather than actual levels.
>>
>>76936598
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot anon!
>>
>>76903879
Remove all spellcasting and otherwise GRRR ME ANGRY restrictions while berserk
>>
>>76903879
I've long wanted to play a barbarian that sublimates their rage. He fights like Spiderman, always quiping and commenting as he fights, however when he rages he goes quiet.
Focused. Efficient. Deadly.
Arguably much more terrifying.
https://youtu.be/y_JGI0JhCkQ
>>
File: Richard-chase.png (126 KB, 900x444)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>76903879
Make him crazy, even outside of combat. Make him have compulsive issues that end in violence. Make him crude and ineffective in everything. Make him an outcast from within society.

I hade a totem of the wolf barbarian who had 'man problems' and believed that by drinking the blood of animals he could become stronger and reestablish his vital essence.
>>
File: GoblinBerserker.jpg (250 KB, 992x724)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>76903879
My first and only barbarian was a goblin berserker who rolled like an absolute god for stats. Pretty much soloed the first dungeon. Too angry to talk, the only forms of communication he was capable of were growls or screaming AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Rolled for his backstory, got Struck by Lightning for why he became a barbarian. Fluffed that the gods chose him to be the angriest motherfucker in existence.

Point is, try taking the usual shit and twisting it around a bit. Big and strong? What about short and angry? Primitive tribal? What about a farmer's boy who learned to fight? So long as you can come up with something fun, it'll be original enough.

Pictured: Art I used for Graal Gutrippr

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.