[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

A thread for people who play single player role playing games.

Discord: https://discord.gg/JKeyHcU
FAQ/Q&A, links, topics, and games: https://rentry.co/srpgg

Previous:>>76755968

Question of the day: What's your biggest piece of advice for beginners? If you are a beginner, what's the biggest thing you trouble with in the context of SRPGs?
Interpret this oracle in the context of your game: (Mythic GME) Focus: NPC positive. Meaning: Excitement leadership.
>>
Taking the suggestions from last thread; I took my "solo RPG game draft" and turned it into a small document of archetypes and random tables one can use to generate their own SRPG campaigns, or just for character backgrounds. Some of them are a bit out there.
>>
>>76869867
>Interpret this oracle
RPGs aren't about creative writing, they're simply wargaming adventures with immense freedom. The whole point of published adventure paths like those of TSR and Paizo is to have professionals crafting 99% of the art and systems so everything is so high quality and consistent. All you have to do is play.

Amateur writer and theatrefags really did a fucking number on this hobby. No wonder so many initial normal dudes moved onto CRPGs (around 3.5/4E), to get away from this cringe and misuse. Most players left are the biggest outcasts, degenerates, and nerds you'll ever meet, if they aren't just the casuals using it as a social novelty.

A CRPG/VTT will inevitably combine the audio-visual superiority of a videogame with the adaptability of a DM. This will lead to a true "Old School Renaissance", where healthy and intelligent people return to the hobby in droves and you'll all look even more sad, weird and old-fashioned than you already do.

Praise Gygax
>>
>>76869867
>What's your biggest piece of advice for beginners?
The first thing you should decide is what your character wants to change in your world. If your character isn't motivated to want to change things then you're going to have a dull game. It can be as simple as, "I need food from the market." or as complex as "I want a harem of monster girls."
>>
File: 1301931037379.png (932 KB, 613x837)
932 KB
932 KB PNG
>>76869867
>advice for beginners
Use a system you are familiar with if you are using an oracle for the first time.
Don't try and use everything all at once, add tools or techniques one at at time. It's a lot easier to figure out what you want/need after you have experience.
Figure out what you want to experience and just go for it, don't limit yourself. You can play anything you want - be it game or novel you love, or something new.
When you start your first game don't try and make anything beyond what you need for your first session.
If you're completely new to GMing try Ironsworn as it mechanizes good GM techniques, which are something you will have to learn as you go.
>>
>>76870753
>tourist can't even use images from the board
>>
>>76865943
>Not just for Ironsworn, but how much do you guys decide before play and how much during?
I think up the important details first like what I'll be fighting, what the goal is, stuff like enemies or locations, all before play starts. I prep as much as I can predict where the game will lead to next. Like if I wanted to be a bank robber I'd get gun stats and generate guards and civilians. Then I'd look up the rules for chases since I anticipate a chase scene to occur after I escape. Then maybe I'd generate a mob boss character, someone to report to after the heist. I prepare the details before the game starts, but if something were to happen like if my character was caught and arrested and taken to the hospital and handcuffed to the bed under police custody then I would have to start improvising and asking fate questions to generate stuff.
>>
>>76870790
This is definitely something Im trying to nail down with advice from the last thread, using motifs and running backstory scenes as a warmup before each session.
I think things are taking shape for sure, and some threads have already started to emerge.
>>
>>76872082
Is your usage of motif like a theme of the game? I'm unfamiliar with motifs in solo RPGs.
>>
Started a new solo game in 5e, did a Down The Line stat roll for 4 chars. Barbarian, Druid, Fighter(archer), Wizard

After some oracle rolls and a generative array (3 nouns, 3 verbs, 3 adjectives) I found out that my heroes meet in a small frontier settlement as the sole respondents to a job posting for sellswords

The oracle reveals that the region is a dense jungle that has not been settled, with only a single major harbor/port city on the coast and a massive uncharted inland jungle full of ruins, dotted with tiny frontier settlements in the spirit of the settlement of the New World

Roll on some tables in the tome of adventure design for the BBEG motivations etc., and it is revealed that the big bad is a native cultist who is kidnapping people to spread a curse of Lycanthropy, in order to raise a standing army of loyals and seize the port from the colonizers

So with this in mind it jogs my memory that the tomb of annihilation 5e mod has a ton of good jungle shit in it, accompanied by a very detailed hex map. So, I guess Chult is my sandbox for this campaign.

And for the trolls who like to shit on all of this as a writing exercise... now I'm about to embark on a hellish hexcrawl of crunch, survival, and exploration of the unknown. I'll be surprised if they come out of the jungle alive
>>
>>76874268
I wanted to do a jungle island campaign but I got stumped during the process of trying to think of jungle encounters besides just wildlife. I'll have to check out Chult and use its ideas.
>>
>>76869867
A certain trove has a lot of new gamebooks recently uploaded under 'Quest Digital Game Book'. (I believe this was in November).
You can thank me later.
>>
>>76874439
the wizard already caught a disease and the archer nearly got dragged away by assassin vines in his sleep
>>
File: 1325204103314.jpg (117 KB, 599x640)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>76874268
>>76874536
Sounds dope anon. My first two hexcrawl style games ended in wipes but were fun.
>>
>>76874570
I prefer ending in a wipe to getting high enough level that im too powerful and just gettin' bored
>>
File: pathetic.jpg (34 KB, 715x655)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>76870753

No, my friend, it is boomer fags like you who unironically believe TRPGs are best used as wargaming adventures where you jerk off to spreadsheets.
>>
>>76874648
See, I'm of two minds on this. I love my "war via excell spreadsheet" and play ASL solo and Gary Grigsby and am debating learning phoenix command for ultra-crunch wargaming with a solo but I similtaneously love head-trip ultra free form solos that is me (as the character) conversing with fate and the dice themselves.

You can do solo for both - you can do solo for neither, but I agree that the post was designed just to antagonize.
>>
>>76875213
Same. You could even combine the approaches in the same game in different spots if you want to.
>>
>>76874268
>Barbarian, Druid, Fighter(archer), Wizard
The barbarian has taken path of the beast

The druid took circle of the spores after seeing the fungal jungle disease's power

The archer is a battlemaster

The wizard is a bladesinger (had better stats for it than straight caster) and will be a Gish
>>
>>76874268
>generative array
What are the rules for using it?
>>
>>76874024
I'm referencing the previous thread, what Im trying to do is use the motifs system from Calypso mentioned here >>76768620 along with Mythic GME.
>>
>>76877295
I roll 3d10 (1-1000) 9 times and use it to pull 3 nouns 3 verbs and 3 adjectives from Grammar Fuel

I let myself eliminate 1 word from each category, then I write the scene based on interpretation of the array
>>
File: Smug_Tsung3.png (211 KB, 313x508)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>76870753
While it's true that games have gravitated more toward story and roleplay in past few years, there's nothing stopping you from playing more combat-oriented campaigns if you prefer. Have fun!
>>
>>76870753
OK, boomer.
>>
>>76878569
Every thread, I swear.

Hopefully the spirit of your posts permeates /tg/.
>>
Is there any RPG, solo or not, that combines fantasy and Lovecraftian horror? I have an idea for a solo campaign, but I don't know of any RPG that might fit.

>>76784308
>>76870753
Samefag or copypasta? Thanks for good coombait, at least.
>>
>>76869867
I've been trying to get into solo rpgs lately, but I'm having trouble and was looking for some advice. Normally I run much more frequently than I play, but what I look for in a solo game is much closer to what I look for as a player than as a game master. As a player my favorite part of the hobby is that sense of discovery when you come upon something new, whether it be a location, mystery, puzzle, combat, or item. I like figuring things out and piecing the world or story together.

Is there a solo system which runs modules or CYOAs, or some system that can keep information hidden from the player without relying on making it up as you go? Most oracles just seem very thin, and if I'm just going to make up the story, meaning, and mystery myself, I would rather just prep for one of the games I run. Ideally I would love to be able to plug in a system or particular adventure, but I'm open to just about anything from something that strings encounters together and builds monster ai, to someone's homebrew they want tested with a sample adventure.

I guess what I'm really looking for is to capture the experience of having a gm with a plan running things behind the scenes as closely as possible.
>>
>>76879313
We had almost the same question a couple of months ago, and I'm afraid you might not like the answer.
In solo RPGs, as far as I know, developing a secret plan that you as a player don't know about is simply impossible without inventing it at the spot when it should become "public". Sure, you can develop something that your CHARACTER doesn't know, but you as a PLAYER still have to know about it.
This is one of the "problems" that you simply can't resolve, at least not without adding an actual GM, at which point it's no longer a "real" solo roleplay and instead becomes 1-on-1 roleplay at best. This is definitely possible, at least if the GM knows what he's doing or you're playing an RPG specifically created for it (they do exist), but is that what you want?
>>
>>76879313
You'll want to read this: https://rpgtips.netlify.app/post/playing-a-prewritten-module-solo/
>>
>>76879399
1-on-1 isn't really what I'm after, really I suppose I want a crpg that doesn't require staring at a screen more than I already do every day for work, and which has more open character creation rules. I don't mind stepping in and altering things, I just want to be surprised in some way.

Are there no single player systems for creating even something like a west marches style hexcrawl which just generates locations and encounters with some degree of interconnectivity? Something like a paradox game, maybe. Where I could draw a map, make nations and basic world building, then create a character and have it pilot ai decisions and randomly generate events, crises, reactions and the like.

It doesn't need to be complex, just enough that I don't feel like I'm playing chess against myself.
>>
>>76879493
I appreciate the effort, but this kind of seems like the opposite of what I'm looking for. I would like some sort of systems where I the player, in the role of character or characters, make decisions and the game reacts to those, rather than the game generating the changes and me editing and narrating them.

Something like rangers of shadowdeep, or 5 parsecs from home, but with a system to tie encounters together and ideally that i can combine with better mechanics.

I also understand if its outside of the regular baileywick, I'm just not sure where else to look.
>>
>>76870753
>tfw that pasta is just a few days old and it's already stale
>>
>What's your biggest piece of advice for beginners?
Just do it. I waited so long before just starting and I realized that it was as hard at first as it would have been if I had started months before. Soloing is something that takes some time to get the hang of. Not that long, but don't expect to be great at it on your first try.
>>
>>76878869
Please don't. I'm an old boomer and I love solo rpgs. It's usually people with little to no experience with the hobby that are all flabbergasted and angry at the idea of solo.
>>
>>76879531
Ironsworn, The Drifter and Ronin come to mind.
Ironworn may be a little too on the creative side for what you want, but it all depends on how you play it, I guess. There's a lot ofr andom tables to roll on and creating obstacles and adversaries is really easy on the spot.
I really like and recommend Ronin for an easy game that does what you're asking for. It's limited in what it does, but it does it well and you have a little bit of creative freedom, but not too much.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/308587/Ronin
>>
>>76879531
Forbidden Lands is sorta like that, with a created sandbox and tables for everything. It has setpieces and offers different outcomes for situations.
There was a line of products for 5E made by or called 'Avalon' something or other that I remember is close to what you want. It lays out a hexcrawl campaign but every encounter and major event is accounted for with various possibilities. You are trying to help put a young queen on her throne but it has wiggle room for things to go in different directions.
Your best bet outside of that is looking at OSR tools and stuff if you don't use Drifter or Barbarian Prince, which are more board game like.
>>
File: 1277509431074.jpg (88 KB, 600x833)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>76880777
>just do it
Yes. It gets easier but the first step is awkward.
>>
>>76879756
Ironsworn seems like a good fit for what you want.
It's based on Powered by the Apocalypse and uses character Moves. The world reacts to the Moves the characters make. It makes it feel like things are happening because of your actions, not just randomly. The Undertake a Journey Move isn't an hex crawl, but it works really well. There's chances for encounters, events, etc. There's tables for Waypoint locations. It's a build-in way of making you create the world by writing your map as you go along. Speaking of bulit-in rules, the Vows are like Quests/Side Quests. A loose frame for your adventure and for the things you'll need to do to complete your quests. It can be played very creatively and freeform or more randomly by rolling on tables instead of just using the oracles. There's tables for enemy combat actions, locations, NPC, NPC attitude, goals, random twist events, etc.
Lost of these tables entries tie things together to your story in a loose way.
It's a good system. Takes some time to get used to it if you're unfamiliar with solo and with PbtA games, but really worth it. I would suggest reading the 7th chapter of the rulebook first. It really should have been the first chapter. It describes the process of starting the game in detail and has an actual play example.
>>
>>76881025
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/252413/The-Avalon-Solo-Adventure-system
This was it. At some point it was on the share thread but it's rather large. I'm not sure if it got archived or not.
>>
>starting a new Ironsworn campaign
>kind of want a Kung-Fu the Series/Man with No Name mixed with a Kill Bill vengeance vibe to it
>character and world creation
>I decide to take my time and use the oracle and random tables a lot during this process
>I also decided to randomly choose everything, from gender to my stats to the level of difficulty of the game
>I end up with an old peace loving nun/unnarmed combat Master and teacher who lived for 20 years in the temple dedicated to her God as my character
>her background Vow is to find out why a Hollow destroyed her village and... find a way to give peace to this restless spirit even though it killed her whole family
>this Vow is always close to her thoughts, but she has faith in Kwan, her God, and she's waiting for a sign (has been waiting for most of her life)
>she has an ex-student that are like a daughter to her and a new one that she think of as a grandson
I really wasn't expecting a female Dalai Lama kung-fu grandma looking out for her makeshift family as my character. But like Anon says: the dice don't lie.
>>
>>76881580
honestly sounds like a great story. Surely better than AAA titles these days.
>>
File: youngnord.jpg (71 KB, 600x820)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>76881580
Sounds pretty good anon.
I started up a Skyrim game after I saw the argonian anon going.
Rolled up some seeds and tables along with the oracle to start my game.
>novice nord magician
>kicked out of the college because he stole something
>did this because he was bound in service to an ancient lich to save his family
>now he's being sent to do various tasks for said lich across skyrim
>almost dies in the first old barrow he loots on his own
I'm still aiming to somehow work this into a Telvanni playthrough and if he dies I will likely just start one straight into that instead of rolling.
>>
>>76881580
>>76883471
Based, my dudes, keep us in the loop. Would love to know how these go.
>>
My Ironsworn character, the one who was trying to earn the right to rule his city, died in a raider attack. In preparation for the sequel campaign, I declared that the city fell into a month-long crisis that almost became a civil war because there's no other hair, before someone suggested that a cousin could inherit, an idea that was... encouraged... by the cult the character started.
>>
>>76885454
>there's no other hair
>>
>>76885673
Yeah. Everyone's suffering with Astartes pattern baldness.
>>
File: manedman.jpg (46 KB, 500x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>76885770
>in the realm of the hairless the long maned man tries to earn his right to rule
>>
>>76885454
Did you get all that detail from random rolls or was it your idea?
>>
>>76886931
It's a mix of rolls, logical consequences of things that happened before, and my ideas.
>>
>>76870753
>A CRPG/VTT will inevitably combine the audio-visual superiority of a videogame with the adaptability of a DM. This will lead to a true "Old School Renaissance", where healthy and intelligent people return to the hobby in droves and you'll all look even more sad, weird and old-fashioned than you already do.
This along with the fact I'd only play solo or duo is why I'm holding off getting into D&D/VTT. Doesn't seem worth the cost when it's constantly getting better and still has a long way to go.
>>
>>76887218
AI Dungeon is getting there.
>>
>>76880777
Just playing is pretty easy. Your story might be simple but the systems will work and you'll have content to entertain you as long as you keep improvising and rolling.
>>
>>76879531
>It doesn't need to be complex, just enough that I don't feel like I'm playing chess against myself.
This tool helps remove the "chess against yourself" feeling. The system makes NPC decisions for you. You list the potential actions for an NPC and roll to check which ones apply. I've used it and it plays well.
https://rnd-diversions.blogspot.com/2015/10/making-npc-decisions-with-mythic-gm.html
>>
>>76870753
Have you ever used an oracle before?
>>
>>76871057
>>76874648
>>76878569
>>76878869
>>76879186
>>76880727
>>76887218
>>76893486
>inflammatory pasta that was literally posted in the last thread, totally unchanged, with an obnoxious Coomer image
>8 replies
>the post literally directly above it, free, productive OC made directly for this thread
>0 replies

And people wonder why /tg/ is dead. You reap what you sow.
>>
>>76893664
So, uh... Why didnt YOU reply to it then?
>>
>>76893664
I didn't notice the other post.
>>76869904
This is great work.
>>
>>76879186
Call of Cthulhu?
>>
>>76895125
The problem with CoC is that it assumes that you're playing in real-life 1920s or 1930s, or the modern era if you use the optional rules. I need something that specifically allows for playing in a fantasy setting. The closest thing that I know of would be Cthulhu Dark Ages (self-explanatory) and Cthulhu invictus (Rome), and even those I'd probably have to hack in order to remove all the references to real life.
>>
>>76880949
>>76881025
>>76881281
>>76881450
>>76891458
First off, thank you all for taking the time to respond, 4chan isn't exactly a touchy-feely website, so its always nice to see people genuinely interested in helping someone out.

Ronin, and the Drifter both seem like they could be a lot of fun, though closer to the CYOA or board game feel than rpg, but drifter in particular looks like it could be a blast.

Forbidden Lands seems really interesting, but from what I could gather, there doesn't appear to be anything in it about solo play. Avalon really looks like a damn fine fit, though I'm not the hugest fan of 5e, it still has enough meat to sink my teeth into and looks to have everything I want if the authors are to be believed.

I have Ironsworn and the pitch really resonated with me, but I can't stand powered by the apocalypse, I've just played too many soulless hacks of it cobbled together to justify playing a game in setting X over the past few years. Still, all the expanded stuff is very solid and I might use the tables in conjunction with something else to cobble my own monstrosity together.

Any idea where I could find some of this stuff for free, I'm not opposed to paying for it, but I hate buying pdfs on good faith alone, to me it feels like walking into a book store and having to judge solely by the covers.
>>
>>76895776
Do you know about the /tg/ pdf share thread? Open the pdf file in the OP here: >>76853571 and go to the link ending in /ShareThread, then click on Da Curated Archive and scroll to the section Solo Games. Those two links have tons of PDFs for solo games. Alternatively you could go to the website "thetrove", they have lots of RPG systems and some of which are specifically solo under Books/Collections/Solo.
>>
>>76895985
I know about the archive and the trove as well, to be honest I was just being lazy and hoping someone had it on hand.
>>
>>76869867
Is it possible to use solo-rpg methods to learn basic RPG system stuff in a risk-free environment? I'd like to learn how to run some systems, but everyone I know who might be interested in games has experience but no interest in GMing things, and I have literally zero experience outside freeform RP. That's a high pressure environment for a first timer.
>>
>>76896241
That should definitely be possible, at least in theory. To play solo, you still need to engage with actual RPG mechanics, which forces you to learn how those mechanics work.
>>
>>76896273
It definitely seems like something that would be a good use of a solo rpg system or emulator, to me. A way to generate situations that require arbitration in an organic environment, rather than white-room memorization which I'm not so good at.

What would be the best options for that kind of thing? I imagine a system which might allow me to learn how to run something fairly traditional to start with.
>>
>>76895776
I feel the same about Ironsworn. I love the concept and how it's made, but I hate playing using moves. It just limits my imagination. I'm also not a fan of the progress track thing. I guess I'm more of a classic rpg kind of guy. But I'm not opposed to weird ass solo engines to go with that classic rpg.
>>
>>76895776
>>76897430
>constraints on ironsworn
I had the same feeling about it, and as I was experienced at solo play I never felt the need to use it. I finally tried it and I like some of the feel that it gives. The best thing about Ironsworn is that it has a good flow to it's game, trying to count building up or setbacks with mechanics.
Ironsworn is abstract, so it's very easy to take any of it's pieces and apply them to anything.
>progress tracks
I use clocks now for my sandbox plays because it simplifies tracking factions and stuff in the background. It's also an easy way to track character progress and problems without getting too bogged down. Those clocks feel the same as tracking resources for projects and then ending them when your resources hit threshold. I don't use them for journeys or quests, but for stuff like 'how far along is the bad guy in his plot'.
>>
>>76895444
There's a Pathfinder Mythos book by Sandy Peterson, I think. 500 pages or something. There's also a book by him for D&D 5E (might be the same book, idk).
The Myhtos has been part of D&D for years, so you can use regular D&D. Deities & Demigods around page 50 if I recall.
Conan is also part of the Mythos, so the Conan rpg might be a good idea. I'm not familiar with the Conan rpg system, but I think there's a D20 version.
If you want BRP/d100 rules like in CoC, you could use Stormbringer (my favorite BRP game after CoC) or Runquest and use the Mythos creatures and rules from regular CoC.
>>
>>76869904
The premise is neat. I like the Expedition one and I'll look to use it at some point.
Something like this would make a good starting point to a solo system, with the system tailored to a specific set of themes and style.
>>
>>76897870
I love the idea of it all, but in play it doesn't work for me. Clocks and Progress Tracks are an alien concept to me. I never needed them and using them is really blocking the flow of my games. I like a more freeform and intuitive way of resolving progress. It's too bad because I really wanted to be able to use them. They seem like such a cool idea. But they're not for me, I guess. Even when using Mythic and such, I usually don't keep a list of threads. They're just part of the story and don't need to be written down or they're part of the NPCs description when they're more personal.
>>
>>76895444
Dreamlands. It's basically Fantasy. I remember using it a lot years ago.
>>
For anyone looking for all the tables and events you need for fantasy stuff you should really check out Scarlet Heroes.
It has dungeon generation, treasure tables, NPCs, Urban adventures, Wilderness, difficulty, etc all aimed at providing everything you need for solo play.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO_tZbLqjcs
>>
>>76899896
I have extensively used the oracle and tables from SH. It's great. I use a d6 based oracle most of the time now because it's easier to do fast, but the other tables I still use every session
>>
>>76899896
It's great. I love tables, but sometimes I just go full creative and only use a random idea generator for everything. Like the Mythic Event meaning chart or the 2 tables in Ironsworn. Or some random image generator. But I do that when I'm not in a hurry. Sometime syou just want your game to move along fast and random tables like in SH or the big books of random tables are great for that.
>>
>>76879186
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/261691/Conan-Horrors-of-the-Hyborian-Age?cPath=8425_25091
>>
>>76897430
How does it limit your imagination? The fiction triggers moves. The fiction comes first.
>>
>>76904378
Not that anon, but for me it adds an extra step of abstraction from events. In most games I just describe what I'm doing and the gm calls for a relevant roll when something has an element of chance.
>I'm looking around the room, I haven't been here in a while, but does anything seem out of place?
>hmm, okay roll perception if you're just scanning the room quickly
As opposed to PbtA, where the moves make everything feel as codified as other system's combat. It just makes the world feel smaller, narrower, and more artificial.
>I'm looking around the room, I haven't been here in a while, but does anything seem out of place?
>perform an investigate the mystery move

It breaks verisimilitude for me. I try to see the mechanics of a game as reflections of that world's reality, and for the same reason I find the artificial nature of something like a countdown clock, or a +1 longsword just as jarring. I would rather keep abstract progress abstract, and keep numerical bonuses out of character. If the gm has a progress bar, or a numerical or generic description for magic items, that's fine. Just like I know most checks has a preset difficulty, but I don't want to know what that difficulty is as a player unless my character can figure it out roughly by trial and error or in-universe knowledge.
>>
>>76893664
Human nature doesn't lie. The fact they ignored it proves the other post is right, most of this shit is lame storyfagging.
>>
>>76905519
Oh no, how horrible.
I guess you'll just have to go on the amazon thread to coom, or the various "how would x fare" threads or "what do" threads, those are probably more your speed.
>>
>>76905567
Why would you recommend larp threads to someone hating on storyshit to begin with?
>>
>>76904824
I think of Ironsworn's PbtA moves as training wheels for people who aren't used to GM-ing. When you have lots of options and little experience it's easy to freeze or find it daunting when you stop to find out what's going on.
I use that style of move for resolution sometimes now, as I think it works well for some things.
>>
>>76901107
I have an idea for dialogue generation. First you need to write down a list of nouns composed of NPC's and locations. Then you roll for a random noun from your list. The topology for English is a subject-verb-object sentence structure, so the noun will come first in our dialogue as the subject. Next you write out a list of verbs related to the subject. For example, if the noun was "Smithy" the verb list could be "sell, buy, repair, etc." Then we roll up the tense for the verb; past, present, or future. From our example the results for present tense would make the verbs "sells, buys, repairs". Then we roll up an object that could be related to the noun, but include the option of "No Object" as a possibility. Then you roll up whether this person is talking about "subjective ideas, objective facts, other people or oneself". So to continue with the example the dialogue could be "Smithy buys swords" with the result "oneself" meaning they are talking about himself selling swords at his smithy.

Other examples:
If a shopkeeper says "Bob will steal money. Subjective" he could be talking about someone he suspects is a thief.
If a farmer says "Dog ate Guard. Objective" could be a warning or a request to stop a wild dog from attacking people.
If a wizard says "You will collect gold. Other people." you might be sent on a fetch quest or if it was "I will collect gold. Oneself." it's just information about what they intend to do.
"
>>
>>76906344
This is interesting anon. I could mechanize this if a noun and verb list could be narrowed down appropriately.
>>
File: dialogue_cutups.png (9 KB, 590x387)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>76906344
>noun verb noun
This is that using the cutup tool without selecting or paring down the nouns or verbs in any way from the text.
>>
>>76906344
Nice to see non-brainlets thinking about these things in the thread. Cool idea!
>>
File: languagetags.png (37 KB, 384x911)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>76906344
These are the language tags that are applied to the text when it is tokenized. I'll try and play with it and see if I can get something that can narrow down subject and object to something that works better.
>>
>>76906632
If the words were related I think it would be easier to combine them into something understandable. With cutup you've got to broadly interpret what's being said. Like "drum shouted passage" could be information about a marching army that announced its passing with drums rather than the literal meaning of a drum shouted. You could get poetic and read it as colorful way of saying the drums were loudly announcing somethings passage. There are lots of ways to resolve these results.
>>
>>76906746
I guess you just need the all the noun and verb categories; you can forget the others.
>>
>>76906344
It sounds like the meaning oracle with extra steps.

not keen on constructing a word list every time an npc talks.
the objective/subjective/nonObjective(?)
thing is cool if you want it to be more precise, as with the additional noun.

but being more precise also makes it more difficult to weave into the context/existing threads.

but yeah, pimping my own dialog system
i guess i didnt explicitly state it but i do use the meaning oracle to determine subject matter.

srpgs-are-for-porn.blogspot<dot>com/2021/01/character-whims-and-reactions.html

ill probably share my what/where/when/why oracle adaptation next.
>>
welp 2/5 of my party just contracted wereboar lycanthropy

they wont know the curse has set in for 28 days
>>
>>76910259
noice.
>>
>>76909464
What's the meaning oracle? You can reuse one list for each time you want to generate some dialogue, just make it a long list.
>but being more precise also makes it more difficult to weave into the context/existing threads.
Yeah but sometimes dialogue introduces threads. Like in Skyrim I passed by a guard and he told me about something small and wicked being seen outside a cave and marked it on my map, I image my system would generate info that leads you to new plots.
>srpgs-are-for-porn.blogspot<dot>com/2021/01/character-whims-and-reactions.html
I'll add it to the paste, thanks.
>>
>>76910522
The "Event Meaning" oracle from Mythic GME. roll a noun and a verb and interpret it according to the context.
you can use the same 2 d100 tables to determine subject matter of dialogue, not only random events.
>>
>>76910846
Ah, I thought it was something else. I know that system. I had it in mind when I was writing up my dialogue post. It's a little too random, I was trying to come up with a more specific system that would limit the results to just the stuff you include, not the full tables that mythic uses.
>>
>>76910983
I hear ya, you might have a look at the Motif system out of calypso too.

Im not sure i like it out of the box but theres potential there for results that are consistent enough with theme/setting but still open for interpretation.

in anycase my point was more that you can use your random event oracle for dialog subject matter, no need to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>76906344
Oh shit this is cool as fuck
>>
>>76911447
I'll check out calypso.
>>
>>76911447
I've been using the One Page Solo RPG Topic Focus list with the Mythic Event Meaning chart to create my conversations. Works really well.
Example:
Topic Focus: Rumors (Suit Domain: Essence)
EMC: Powerfully Ancient
I overhear some townfolks in a tavern talking about a powerful Lich that uses to rule from the nearby mountain caves in the distant past. Some say it was never destroyed, only trapped in it's own underground palace, and is just waiting for any traveller reckless enough to try and cross the moutains so it can swallow their souls.
My character is going to investigate. If that Deadite Voldemort Lich is still around, he'll have to destroy it.
>>
hey have you guys checked out mythic magazine vol. 1. it just came out
>>
>>76909464
I like where you're going with your dialogue stuff and I'm looking forward to what/where/when/why. I think generating dialogue in more contextual ways is missing, even with Mythic's behavior check.

>>76910522
>make it a long list
This could work. You could do some 100 word lists for off-line play and have a nice, long list for generation out of software. The key is narrowing down a bit, however we get there.

>>76910983
>mythic is a bit too random
Yea. It's solid and it can be used but it's just too random for me for most dialogue topic generation. I'm not going to generate a list for an adventure each time, though, as that's too much prep for me to do. I'd rather have themed lists that fit the feel of a game, like you see in a lot of places.

>>76916559
Yea. It looks like it addresses some common problems that have been talked about with Ambiguous Events and simplifying the Behavior Check; I haven't had the time to read it thoroughly or use it.
>>
>>76904824
>>76898079
Moves can be taken out of the game easily. I know of at least 2 hacks who does that. Here's one.
Progress tracks can be turned into numbers like hit points. The easiest way is to make a vow/journey/combat 40 points and deduce the number of points depending on the difficulty. Epic would be 1 point per hit. Troublesome would be 12 points.
>>
>>76917694
If you want a more classic feel, you could always use negative modifiers to your rolls. Like downgrading an Epic foe to a lower bracket, but giving you -1 on your roll. Not sure how balanced it would be though. The 2d10 are brutal. Maybe leave the harm of the initial difficulty, but reduce the number of "hit points" needed to end the fight?
You could also make it so that you have to reduce the points to zero instead of being able to resolve the conflict by a roll. In that case maybe reduce the 40 points to 30.
Ironsworn is easily hackable. Not just it's setting, but the rules. It's not as hard as other games to make it balanced and if it's not, you can always change the rules mid-game. The worst that can happen with an unbalanced game is more story opportunities (and a more awesome death).
>>
>>76917616
I have. you're right, the ambiguous event stuff has basically been talked about (and already done, even) by the playerbase for some time now, though it does begin with a little chapter on why you should use ambiguous events and trying to clarify how they're good or whatever. I have tested out the simplified behavior checks (though only in one scene) and I think they're a good improvement over the overly crunchy ones from MVII
>>
>>76869867
I've been running a dating simulator game it has been interesting.
>>
>>76918520
I've done it as part of a game. A side story was the love between my character and another one.
Kind of turned tragic when she died and I had to put her ghost to rest.
>>
>>76918957
Oh shit!
>>
>>76918971
It was fun though. Her death became my next quest and adventure. It was all random, from her death to her becoming a ghost. I even made myself roll to see if my character could really go through with sending her to the afterlife. It also introduced a lot of characters and plotlines I had no idea I wanted to explore. Now I'm caught in the struggle between 2 temples and their gods, made a Cleric friend (more like he decided that he would become my friend no matter what), became an outlaw by stealling a sacred text and converted a child to my ex-gf religion by accident (don't ask).
>>
>>76918520
What rule set do you use?
>>
Does anyone have any experience playing Vampire, any iteration, solo?
>>
Are there any random tables/generators for Star Wars themed RPGs? The /swg/ is full of tards playing the SW Legion, but no one seems to be playing the FFG's RPGs.
>>
>>76921898
http://www.chimericalrealm.com/search/label/Vampire%3A%20The%20Masquerade
This blog has a few playthroughs and notes on it.
>>
Does anyone know of any good modern tactical/oper8r RPG's? What's the best zombie apocalypse game? I tend to like a tasteful amount of crunch and equipmentfagging
>>
anyone know of a roguelike, or mod for a roguelike, where you can change aspects of the world on the fly? I want to see if I can use it for a solo rpg to simulate the creation of actual worldmaps and locations and suprises (like enemy placement), but also conduct the actual crunch and fluff of the encounters myself rather than it being an internal part of the system.

Nethack works well for pure dungeon crawls, and elona and cataclysm work well for overworlds, but all of them have internal systems. (idk if I am explaining this well, kinda like random generation for the world, but player and gm emulator control for actual encounters.)
>>
>>76915746
I'll have to use that one.
>>76916559
Yeah I read it, it's two articles. One is about ambiguous events and the other is about behavior checks. They're neat articles offering alternative ways to use mythic.
>>
>>76924221
I know GURPS can do it.
>>
anyone else having trouble with rolling too high in vampire?

the book has examples of characters that have like 50 entries. im lucky to make it to 20. every roll is like +6 or +8 and i rarely get a double entry
>>
>>76927819
Could it be you're just getting unlucky?
>>
>>76928545
i have played about 5 characters and didnt break 25 with any of them
>>
>>76869867
DnD got canceled the other day so I set some time aside for a solo session. It didnt go too bad. I gotta thank the anon that recommended me the motif system. Im still getting in the habit of using it correctly, but so far? So good.
>only recently escaped goblin captivity
>got stabbed by a fat titty assassin just a couple hours ago (I rolled to see if she was female and got an 'exceptional yes')
>the imperial merc, whom I learned is named Lyria, decided to travel with me, pretty cool
>she's being very evasive about the assassin, not as cool
>whatever
>time to make some money
>walk up to the biggest dude I can find
>an old nord
>challenge him to a brawl in the middle of the inn
>his knee pops as he stands; he injured it many years ago, but even then hes no pushover
>end up punching him in the face, dealing 2 wounds and coaxing a surrender
>'sweet, pay up'.
>'pay up what'.
>turns out I forgot to clarify I wanted to lay down a bet
>he's still amused enough that we're basically bros now.
>guard bugs us in the middle of concocting 'get rich quick' schemes with Lyria
>they didnt find the assassin, but they found her employer
>apparently she pawned her gear off to him shortly before they arrested him
>a lanky high elf
>all thats left is to collect my gear, and go after the assassin
>the assassin whom Lyria is adamant about staying away from
>before I can argue with her, there's a raucous racket outside
>step out
>>
>>76928643
>new scene
>rioting and looting outside
>.... I dont like how topical this is getting.
>looters busting the store across the street
>draw our weapons
>kill a couple, grapple and toss out another, the rest scatter to the wind
>store owner doesnt believe we're not also looters at first, but we coax him out
>turns out, not only was there a vampire attack, the arrest had revealed some... troubling information.
>the elf had apparently been arrested very publicly for info to travel this fast, honestly
>turns out he was very involved in an organized crime circuit in the city
>had also made a deal with the vampire to give him free reign without molestation from his boys, in exchange for... something.
>almost certainly going to be a war between the crime circuit and the guard now
>vampire STILL at large
Already looking forward to running it again, though I'm gonna try and keep things from getting too nonsensical. I'm still new to this, but I like the plots that are forming and I have some good reasons to stick around the city for a while.
>>
>>76928651
What caused the riot?
>>
>>76928651
sounds really nice anon.

Also, is the lizard not wearing pants, seems a bit scandalous imo.
>>
>>76928895
Thats actually my bad for not including that in the writeup. See, there was the initial vampire attack that had happened shortly before we got to the city. That fomented a lot of fear. Couple that with the revelation that there actually WAS an organized crime circuit in the city, that it was making deals with the vampire, and the discovery of another blood drained body not far from the inn we were staying at, it essentially caused a mass hysteria.
A lot of this was me questioning the store owner we saved and trying to make sense of the random event the Mythic system threw at me.
>>76928917
Im enjoying it. I was also looking for an excuse for combat, so it worked out.
>Also, is the lizard not wearing pants, seems a bit scandalous imo.
On the high seas, pants are optional.
>>
>>76922378
Would some of these work? https://chartopia.d12dev.com/?q=star+wars
>>
File: star wars nouns verbs.png (96 KB, 691x611)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>76922378
I plugged The empire strikes back novel into:
https://srpg-toolbox.df.r.appspot.com/TblGenerator
(its still kinda buggy desu, but itll do)

Maybe this is useful?
>>
>>76916559
Link it please.
>>
Regarding dialogue. I think it would be good to have a system that loosely determined what is being communicated, and how, before specifics are brought in through word lists / threads and so on.
1. What does an NPC say?
- A question. A critique. A demand. An observation. A musing etc etc.
2. What is the "tone" (relating to mechanics such as mood / relationship etc)?
3. What about?
- The future, The past, immediate situation, other NPC, PC, surroundings etc etc
>>
>>76930525
Is 100 max?
>>
>>76932540
I agree that's a solid approach. I did these and shared them here once; they are used similar to this, but work backward from the answer to find context like tone or intention based on context. It's not a great system and works for when I need the prompt or for specific conversation types.
They are used as tables so it's hard to use them otherwise.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/c0xrbb3sl4lovou/Conversations_Lists.zip
Example Use
>Mood: playful (passion)
>Conversation: Put down (Group), Highlight trait (75)
You'd need some sort of seed or other inference if you wanted to generate more info on the topic.
>>
>>76930525
This is pretty cool, if rough.
>>
>>76932687
>>76932991
Removed the 100 limit. Cleaned up some other shit too.
>>
idk why, but my post about my session keeps being flagged as spam
Here's a pdf of it, not that it's that interesting.
>>
File: 1375981265171.jpg (501 KB, 766x960)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>76928643
>>76928651
Dope, Argonian anon. I ran a session of my Nord, I'll green text it later.
>>
>>76935722
If you run out of food you'll have to eat the wolf.
>>
>>76935722
Cool, my IS game ended up turning into a comfy iron age hunting game similar to this.
>>
>>76937058
Have you heard of Sagas of the Icelanders? It's like ironsworn but it has mechanics for a bunch of other life sim stuff. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/254224/Sagas-of-the-Icelanders
>>
>>76932417
here you go
>>
>>76938223
I'll check it out
>>
>>76935850
Based, looking forward to it.
>>
>>76932540
I checked this out >>76915746 and the One Page Solo system does a good job of narrowing down conversation topics. Here is the list. It uses the draw of a playing card to determine the result.

Topic Focus:
2. Current Need
3. Allies
4. Community
5. History
6. Future Plans
7. Enemies
8. Knowledge
9. Rumors
T. A Plot Arc
J. Recent Events
Q. Equipment
K. A Faction
A. The PCs
>>
>>76930525
So how could you use this?
>>
>>76915746
So whats your process exactly? I mean, step by step. Do you roll the event focus, then the topic focus, and go from there? Event focus, event meaning, then topic focus? Id love to know more.
>>
>>76910259
Oh that's going to be awkward.
>>
>>76944694
it sorts out the top 100 most frequent nouns/verbs from a body of text. Then you can use it as your Mythic GME "meaning chart" for oracle results that are more in theme.

to be fair, I've not played any games with it. someone in a previous thread was asking how to make the charts, so i put together a tool to do it.
>>
>>76946335
not anon, but i typically roll everything up before I interpret the whole set. just makes for more homogenous results.
>>
>>76948647
Thanks for making it. It's so helpful. I had to use multiple other sites to do it but with this site it's easy.
>>
>>76893664
I have completely stopped putting any effort in my posts because of this shit. I used to have fun and contribute to this site and it's crazy how fucking stupid it's become these days. People reply to literally only bait. You don't even get le epic screencap threads any longer because it's literally always the same shit. I fucking hate zoomers and phoneposting faggots so fucking much. Normies are a fucking cancer, they ruin everything.
I need to get out of here so bad.
>>
>>76948647
Yes, this is cool and good for the solo community, thanks anon.
>>
File: Whiterun PE v3.jpg (2.81 MB, 4000x3000)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>76928651
If you're looking for some nice tables and cool Elder Scrolls stuff to rip and use there is some here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OEyIGpNO5dL7USX7ASp4-Ls195QDge0l
The maps are amazing and detailed. I use the loot tables and stuff from the GM content folder, too; that's where most of the system generic stuff is, it's made for UESRPG, so the rest would have to be converted out of that system if you use it.
The map depicted is downsized so it could be uploaded.
>>
>>
>>76951062
Lovvit, cheers.
>>
>>76942795
Can someone hook us up with that 1 page solo?
>>
>>76951792
>>
Here's a good one. Goes into sorting language for describing many aspects of an emerging RPG world. Size, material, color and so on and displays it in random lists. What it does specifically is dig into PC equipment to describe it and derive a more fleshed out background story, but the lists are aiming at structuring language.

m 3 g 4
/file/47QlwaIC#CC0Wi8Ay-lpi0ni6ya8hJ4iY3fnpNLExttIDerR5NJ0

I am really into this aspect of sand box solo where the tools provide scaffolding for my imagination, to help create an emerging environment. It is magical. That is why I am interested in Ken Wickhams stuff and would love to see some big brain stream line that sort of approach. Both regarding presentation and a presented methodology in using it. What questions to ask, how, when and so on. Sort of like what Mythic did with introducing the chaos mechanic to shape story development.
>>
File: 1551825426491.jpg (319 KB, 1920x1080)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
>>76952360
>sand box solo with scaffolding from tools and tables
This is how I play and it's pretty amazing. I end up just finding tables and stuff to fill in gaps and then using things ad hoc - which isn't ideal - but it works for me and it's enjoyable. It would be nice to have cohesive and streamlined stuff that achieved better results.
Thanks for the book, more stuff to add to what I use.
>>
>>76879313
AIDungeon. google it.
>>
I'm starting a new solo OSR campaign next weekend, and I'm not sure what I feel like playing. Does anyone have any interesting class suggestions?

System's not too big a deal as I'll probably play a houseruled mess as usual. Ideally a single character, might use crawford's solo heroes rules if it feels right, hirelings or possibly a duo are an option but I'm leaning towards true solo.

No GLOG classes. I love it, but I'm looking for something a bit different. Classes I'm considering include Jon Stater's Anarchist or Laser Mage, Crawford's Kuan Amelatu, Star Wizard out of Black Pudding. But there are a thousand other classes people have written in vaguely osr-compatible formats.
>>
>>76955162
play a partial Darian Skinshifter/Partial Expert Adventurer in Worlds Without Number
>>
>>76907353

You'll have to contextualize the results to what's going on.
>>
>>76955257
I really need to read all of that.
>>
>>76955477
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mGcUfkxnWt8vF8Ole0Bsidlm0eLp8ovh
here'st he link if you aren't a backer
0.19 is an almost finished version

>While the text still needs final proofing and spellchecking passes, the layout and content of pages 1-264 should be in their final pre-art condition
>Additional tweaks and edits may happen between now and the release candidate, but I'm not expecting significant alterations.

the skinshifter is after page 264, but yeah..
>>
>>76951062
Hell yeah, thanks bro.
>>
File: dialogueseeds.png (6 KB, 211x155)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>76907353
>word relation
I took the first verb after a noun and also did a version that starts with a proper noun; they look much nicer than just randomly grabbing a nearby verb.
There's still some stuff to play with but I'll update the tool this weekend with the new dialogue seed generation.
>>
>>76951792
It is free. There is lots of free stuff that are "pay what you want" on drivethrurpg.
>>
>>76870753
This. CRPGs are so much better for solo play.
>>
>>76960584
>>76870753
>people who think Divinity Original Sin II is a masturrpeece
western CRPGs are trash
if i'm gonna play video game RPGs I'm going to go with what they're good at and play STrange Journey, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Mother etc.
>>
>>76960727
I was thinking of setting up a game that would be a cross between D&D and Pokémon; random encounters between me and monsters from the monster manual. I think it could be entertaining, but I need to make a monster generator that rolls up random HP and I want a HP bar that I can adjust. Still trying to figure out how to implement that. I tried learning C++ but that shit is hard to get into. I think I'll have to make it with html.
>>
>>76960727
Original Sin actually has the best CRPG system ever designed, where each player has almost full independence, and the focus is on tactical battles which CRPGs are stronger at. It suffers terribly from being a non-D&D setting, along with the usual CRPG limitations. But if you played it singleplayer then you missed out on its achievements.

>if i'm gonna play video game RPGs I'm going to go with what they're good at and play STrange Journey, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Mother
Terrible, effeminate taste. Besides, those are almost pure linear adventures with absolutely mindless tactics throughout. CRPGs are much less linear and have way more challenging tactics, as well as more mature writing.
>>
>>76961724
no i played it with a friend. I wouldn't have played it otherwise.
also it's true the progression in SJ is linear and in DQ it's mostly linear, but they're actually very open ine xploration, especially DQ, and you cand o many things in several different orders. Well, several DQ titles actually *aren't* really more linear than DOS II now that I think about it.
tacticool combat has no value and just makes the game take way longer. also it's much, much more about character builds than making meaningful decisions in the actual fight.
If we're talking about the mechanical aspect of RPG combat, the resource management/attrition from encounters is way more interesting. the context is what makes RPG combat interesting mechanically, not really the combat itself. what makes the actual combat interesting is cool heroic stuff happening. which is ruined by the literal representations you get in a game like DOS II. abstract menu-based combat is truly superior cause it inspires you to imagine what happens jsut like in TRPGs (whether using minis with a grid or not)
>more mature writing
yeah if you like capeshit maybe
>Terrible, effeminate taste
duel me in starcraft/quake/melee
>>
>>76961869
>melee
>masculine
Apart from the stench, no.
>>
>>76958692
It's important to consider the goal of the speaker when interpreting these. I wonder if that should be left up to the player or if a system of generating the goal should be included.
>>
>>76955162
Would you be interested in Knave?
>>
>>76958692
Is there going to be a new download link for the updated version?
>>
>>76964958
>speaker goal
Good idea. Some checkboxes for the extra stuff should work best; the user can have the level they want.

>>76968292
It'll go up at the same spot with a new version, 1.22. It may come Mon/Tue as I'll be adding the dialogue stuff and a small manual.
>>
File: 1550938345494.jpg (297 KB, 890x1200)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>
I really, REALLY wanted to play solo, but...
I suck at it.
I'm not used to, or good at, writing prose, so letter writing/journaling games end up shit (my fault),
Games that take place mostly in my head are very messy. I have so much ideas that, even when writing bulletpoints, I end up confused about what actually happened when I'm further down the road in the game. It's even worst when it comes to interactions with NPCs since I can have like 3 different takes on a convo in my head at the same time! I probably have ADD as well as D&D.
Also, the NPCs and locations feel flat. I'm not used to the GM part of playing so coming up with a good description is hard. And I don't want to talk to myself like I was a GM. That would be too weird. I know lots of people are into recording themselves (that must help), but it's a foreign concept to me as an old guy.
Is there no hope for me? I want to play solo so much...
I do love gamebooks and still read them, but that's not really the same thing. I guess gamebooks are the other side of the coin to solo rpgs. In gamebooks, the setting and NPCs are fleshed out, leaving your PC very nebulous and solo rpgs are the opposite. For me, at least.
>>
>>76973137
Steal from other media sources liberally. Take NPCs from adventures, games, novels or movies - the guard doesn't need to be cool but anyone that gets lots of screen time can just be copied from somewhere.
You can do the same with a setting or adventure as a base to make the world feel alive. Then once you are comfortable in it, it will be easier to be imaginative with it. These will also give you easy structure to follow. You could even use a gamebook and riff off of it.
Most people seem afraid of doing stuff like this and force themselves to create entirely new stories, characters and locations. There's no need, it's your game, do what is fun for you.
>feeling flat
If you use all of the above (and use stuff with descriptions if you like!) you should also use music that sets a mood for the scene, that really makes stuff come to life for me. I also just give NPCs voices in my head, because it makes them feel a lot more solid.
>>
>>76973296
>continuing on why it helps to use source material
It's a lot easier to ask yourself what will happen if X happens if you know the material well or it's laid out right in front of you.
Example: What would Han Solo do here?
Everyone knows Han Solo and his character, you know how he'd talk in a spot or react to a situation; he's more alive than a random snarky smuggler.
>knowing whats coming
You don't have to follow a Pathfinder AP completely as it is, it's detailed enough to handle twists and turns from your oracle and play. It helps to have a solid base that explains that situation and NPCs so you're not constantly grasping for detail or wishy-washy about what's happening next.
>>
>>76973296
That... makes sense. I guess I was afraid of being unoriginal and of prepping the game too much. And of not doing things "the right way."
I have 2 old gamebooks called Horror Classics. They are meant to be played using 2 characters alternatively, so the descriptions of the locations are their own separate paragraphs. I could use that. A bit more descriptive than the average rpg module.
I could also make all the NPCs based on actors I know well and decide in advance, and flesh out, their motivations so that the interactions don't feel so out of nowhere.
I probably should do the same for major events.
I guess the surprises will come from when they happen and in what surrounding circumstances.
Thanks. You've rekindled my flame. I'll prep a game. I'll take my time and won't rush it this time.
>>
>>76930299
>>76930525
thanks guys, I'm probably gonna create my own tables though.
So today I started my solo campaign in the Edge of the Empire. First of all, I didn't really know what to expect from the system, when creating my character it felt like it should be easy and probability of successful check ia high but I changed my mind after failing two checks in which I thought my character will succeed easily lol.
It took me about 2h to get the general idea and create my protagonist. He is a smuggler that knows the ways around his ship, the Royal Huntress - a YT-1300 freighter (it looks like Millenium Falcon for the less SW lore savvy). How did he get it? You couldn't gues better - he stole it after he managed to escape an angry mob chasing him on Corellia. Why were they chasing him? I have no idea but during character creation I asked the oracle if Jos - my character, is force sensitive, and the answer was 'yes'. He becomes a lone smuggler with a bounty on his head and we meet him after he closes a deal on the Teth. There in a 'joyhouse' he meets a Naboo spy, Lena Lem that promises him to pay him huge money for delivering her and her secret message to Corellia. Jos obviously bullshits her that he's gonna do it without any problem whatsoever. When they are going to his ship, she gets abducted by the henchmen of a local crime lord, Churr the Hutt. I don't really know how Jos should behave, but since this is SW, he takes a vow that he's gonna save her. The first scene is just before the Churr's castle - a ruined complex that serves as base of criminal actions of the Hutt. But, interrupt scene happens, and when Jos is sneaking around the fortifications he meets a partially shaven wookie that looks like he just escaped from the castle. Since I don't know the system, I think that Jos should look for the potential ally in saving Lena. And here is where he fails. He tries to calm Wookie, but without a success, Wookie is in position ready to strike. (1/2)
>>
>>76975966
He fortunately is tired and doesn't wanna fight if he doesn't have to, so they talk a little about the Wookie and his condition. Jos tries to sympathize and persuade Gerbikkk to join him, but then he fails again - Wookie is actually a bounty hunter that angered the Hutt, but doesn't want to stir up some shit with his potential employer. He vanishes in the bush, but just before leaving he tells Jos that just around corner there is an unguarded entrance he may use...
This is my second time playing solo, and about third time in total of playing TT RPG, but I think it goes quite smoothly. One thing that I IMO needs improvement is the rate of the adventure and pacing - it took me about 1h to go through this and I still don't know the main - details: what is the information Lena has to convey in person to Corellia? How are they gonna fare with Jos having a price on hia head?
(2/2)
>>
>>76869867
Do you guys have tips for bounty or job generation? Say I wanted to run something like stars without number solo, should I gen jobs through fate questions or are there dedicated tables or techniques you guys use for it?
>>
>>76976034
Nice anon. That all seemed like it flowed well and fit a SW theme.
>pacing and speed of game
This is directly tied to system mastery. FFG's stuff isn't too slow once you're used to it.
>>
>>76973137
So for writing prose, I learned about that from various sources.

The first is Writing Fiction For Dummies which says in summary:
•Writers focus on different characters in turn, giving each character one or more paragraphs in which to act, talk, feel, think, and look.
•You write sequences of sentences focused on a single character that contains any mix of action, dialogue, interior emotion, interior monologue, and description.
•Show first whatever happens fastest: Interior emotion first, then instinctive actions or dialogue, then action, dialogue, and interior monologue last.

Also you can try using the Historical Present (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_present) when you narrate. It's when you use present tense (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_present) when narrating past events. I prefer it. It gives your text immediacy.

My NPCs and locations are usually flat, too. I don't spend any time developing them beyond their function. NPCs have game stats and skills, that's it. Same with locations, they have stats that affect movement or disease.
>>
>>76978197
Thanks. Yeah, the FFG seems pretty easy to run, maybe after this Corona madness I will try and organize a session with my friends.
Most of the time I spend writing, but sometimes I need to generate something like names and it takes more time than it should, but I'll hopefully fix it by creating my own random tables, and since I'm an ESL and I write my games in English, I need to stop for a moment to think about the wording of some phrases. The game flows quite naturally because I've never actually tried to create a story that is deeper than a pulp sci-fi/fantasy story - I plan to play on some sci-fi tropes in this campaign, actually I was kinda terrified how is the game going so far - the Han Solo looking ship, my character is a smuggler pilot like Han, I'm rescuing a "princess" - just like Han, the first character I meet and want to help my protag is a fucking Wookie, but fortunately against my fucking subconscious Han Solo-mania, I'm gonna enjoy some epic story due to fails in skillchecks.
>>
>>76978094
You can search for some OSR bounty and job generators that are easy to find online. There's also a bunch in 1a Adventures and Story generators zip an anon posted here.
>>
>>76978094
Honestly you can just use SWN's game rules and tables with Mythic's GM emulation to find a duder to give you jobs. Like when you find a guy, you can learn the nature of the job with game tables and/or with an event check clarified with fate checks
>>
>>76979409
SWN's contact book also does this.
>>
>>76979583
is that a supplement?
>>
>>76980584
Yea, Persons of Interest.
>>
>>76973137
Have you tried Ironsworn? It plays quickly.
>>
>>76978094
https://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/random/#type=space_job
>>
>>76951643
Thanks, I'll use this for my thief playthrough.
>>
Picked up Alien RPG this week and looking forward to reading it while I play some Scarlet Heroes. Have any of you soloed Alien yet?
>>
>>76984337
Nice

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.