[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Surprise Edition

>UA: Subclasses, Part 5
https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/downloads/UA2020_102620_Subclasses05.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.is/Books/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20%5Bmulti%5D/5th%20Edition%20%285e%29/

>5etools (Has Tasha's Cauldron of Everything)
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>76073674

How is stealth and surprise handled in your games, /5eg/?
>>
>>76078868
>How is stealth and surprise handled in your games, /5eg/?
I read the book and follow the rules.
>>
>>76078894
I think he's trying to bait but is failing terribly
>>
Any reason why the Mearls subclasses aren't in 5etools?
>>
What race would be fun for a djinni genie warlock?
>>
File: Favored Soul Sorcerer UA.png (1.4 MB, 1118x1902)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
Has anyone here ever played the original Favored Soul UA from like 2015? I'm looking around for older comments on people who played, and it looking kinda mixed in terms of if people thought it was overpowered or just good. How do you view it in comparison to what we have with Tasha's Clockwork Soul and Aberrant Mind Sorcerers?
>>
Anon can you stop powergaming? We don't spend our entire life reading DnD shit. Plus we just leveled up so I didn't even know I had that feature. Just chill out man it's not that deep it's a fucking game.
>>
>>76078868
>TQ
Well let's see
>We roll stealth on some unaware enemy
>The fighter inevitably fails but the DM is generous enough to give the rest of us surprise if we beat their perception
>I auto crit some nameless mook and feel cool for 2 seconds before realising I'll never do this against an enemy of note and my subclass fucking sucks
Repeat every so often when we come across some randos
>>
>>76078855

cool, play a changeling
>>
>>76078934
Genasi. Patron is dad.
>>
>>76078939

pretty busted like stone soul and giant soul
>>
>>76078934
Lizardfolk
Your Patron is trying teach your reptile brain manners and decorum.
>>
>>76078940
>I cast a spell!
>Alright, which one?
>...
>Which spell do you cast?
>Um...
>Where is that on my sheet?
>The section that says "spells".
>...
>This one here.
>Um...
>...
>...
>...
>I cast Earthbind!
>Okay, on who?
>...
>Um...
>I want to cast Earthbind on this guy.
>He doesn't fly, you know.
>What?
>That guy can't fly.
>...
>You know what Earthbind does, right?
>It traps them and keeps them from moving, right?
>It keeps them from flying.
>...
>They can still move, they can't fly.
>It doesn't stop them from moving?
>No.
>I don't want to do that, then.
>Um...
>...
>...
>...
>I want to cast Hypnotic Pattern.
>Okay, where?
>...
>Um...
>...
>I want to cast it on that guy.
>Centered on him?
>...
>I want to cast it on him.
>It's an AoE spell, you know.
>It is?
>Yes. 30 foot cube.
>Oh.
>In fact, you could probably get some of the other guys if you aim it between them.
>Um...
>...
>...
>...
>Okay, I do that.
>What's your save DC?
>...
>Your save DC?
>...
>Um...
>Should be written near your spells.
>Where are my spells?
>>
>>76078952
Changeling can't turn into a wolf-humanoid hybrid reminiscent of werewolves at will anon. That's flavor the Lycanthropic options should have, but don't because WotC are uninspired sacks of shit for anything that isn't a caster.
>>
>>76078914
>Anyone who doesn't like my idea or gets anything wrong or has an opinion I don't like is baiting
Why do people post anything if they're going to do this immediately. Sure if someone's wrong they're wrong, if they don't agree then that's them, but you're begging for an echo chamber here
>>
>>76078991
>>76078952
>>
>>76078966
>in the finale of our year long campaign
>"okay Rogue are you going to do anything with your bonus action?"
>..."Do I have anything I can use?"
>>
Gonna go off topic
>DM my weekly session tonight
>one player starts behaving like an unhinged psycho
>killing absolutely random people for no reason
>Let it go because everyone is having fun
>they begin to take it way too far and everyone becomes visibly uncomfortable.
>have everyone get apprehended by the town guards and end the session

How do I deal with this bros?
>>
>>76079008
Time to give him a red dragon husband to keep him in check.
>>
>>76078968
>>76078968
>Changeling can't turn into a wolf-humanoid hybrid reminiscent of werewolves at will anon.

can you please point this out in the stack block? It doesn't even mention the form you pick needs to be humanoid only that it has to have the same arrangement of limbs

and because we agreed you're a lycanthrope, you can change into a were-beast

can you explain the problem?
>>
>>76078940
>? We don't spend our entire life reading DnD shit
I do. I have no life, you guys know this. You have your girlfriends, your paying jobs, "other hobbies" as if those exist, "responsibilities" as if your parents can't make the tendies for you. Let me have this
>>
>>76079002
I honestly do not understand why people like this play D&D. Like, they're not playing the game. So why sit at the table and say that they are? It would be like someone playing checkers and when they get a piece to the end of the board they just leave it there.
>>
>>76078958
What's so busted about them in comparison to what we have now?
>>
>>76079008
Call the bobbies innit?
>>
>>76079008
>allowing murderhoboing
Your first and stupidest mistake to do.
>>
File: 1546810897612.jpg (234 KB, 1920x1080)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>76078966
>guy has been playing for 2 years
>DM: "alright guy, roll to hit"
>he holds up a d12
>"is it this one?"
>>
>>76079008
After like the second kill you say "Hey, just wanna check OoC here, what exactly is your plan here? Like where do you want this to go?"
>>
>>76078998
You're missing the point. I'm saying >>76078914 is the shitter for calling anything he doesn't like bait
>>
>>76078991
The better question is why, if you think someone is baiting, you would not only take the bait, but you would reply to the bait in the new thread, rather than letting it die in the old one.
>>
File: 60a3t79o2q061.jpg (5.54 MB, 2894x3400)
5.54 MB
5.54 MB JPG
Is there anything stopping me from reflavoring my Goodberries into succulent gyozas?
>>
>>76078968
Then play a changeling druid. Or a shift druid.
>>
>>76079040
>OoC
That's not allowed in Critical Role wtf you on about
>>
>>76079051
You'll be married in a heartbeat.
>>
>>76079051
A Lizardfolk with Mage Slayer shows up and eats them all.
>>
>>76079051
No one in the party likes your cooking, just conjure regular berries like everyone else. Why must you ruin every rest like this? No more. If you cast goodberries again we're taking your focus and you're on heal slut duty, the outlander fighter is getting our food now
>>
>>76079029
I agree, but everyone was having a good time. They killed someone in an absolutely horrific way that would alerted everyone around them. I'm going to retcon the situation and have a talk with the player.

>>76079040
That's true, alerting the guards would only lead to a TPK.
>>
>>76079017
>>76079059
From the bestiary:
>Change Appearance. The changeling can use its action to polymorph into a Medium humanoid it has seen, or back into its true form. Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
>Humanoid
>Not (shapechanger), like werewolves who are (human

The PC one doesn't have the humanoid restriction, but it does say race, and werewolf isn't a race.
>You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change

Regardless and even assuming you waive these stuff, if I wanted to play a werewolf my first pick shouldn't be the twink albino race, but the LYCANTHROPE BLOODED race.
>>
>>76079089
Or the LYCANTHROPE BLODED class. Even better because WOTC'S Tasha's showed race shouldn't matter for archetypes, and werewolves are multiracial.
>>
File: 1605669606783.jpg (252 KB, 1080x1426)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>76079081
>Outlander
Do people really???
>>
>>76079051
Just take the Chef feat
>>
>>76079023
its a clerics and a sorcerer, that's it.
>>
>>76079089
>LYCANTHROPE BLOODED
Then play a shifter druid if you want a shifter that can transform into a werewolf.

Why would you think modern WotC would allow this, as I asked in the old thread? How many major deviations do they give races at all, anon? Even if they aren't powerful? Hell have shifters ever actually done this? Genuinely asking.
>>
>>76079118
Isn't that what the divine soul is in its current form?
>>
File: 0197_-_gvLWCIX.jpg (84 KB, 500x500)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
I'm making Druidic Warrior and Blessed Warrior available to Fighters and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>76079103
Good news, Tasha's lets you make a Custom Lineage. Call it Werewolf. You look like a human, but as a free action you can immediately look like a hybrid wolf man. No stat change, but you don't need ribbons like stats. You can even put Darkvision onto that wolf boi!
>>
>>76079134
I'm pretty sure shifter druid can't transform into a werewolf anon. At best it can tranform into big, quadruped wolf. and not at will, but with duration and uses. Hate that.

I don't know, don't care about old lore if it doesn't fulfill the fantasy of a werewolf. Shifting sould easily have been an at willshapechange and make the 1 minute buff a "Feral bloodlust" feature

Regardless, path of the beast still could have had shapechange that would be available to all races. But it doesn't. And I hate it too.

>>76079165
Yes, this is actually a thing I like. If wotc doesn't touch the features, they won't be made fucking shit. I love Custom Lineage!
>>
>>76079164
If you do, give rangers and paladins back the unarmed fighting style
>>
>>76079164
I object to this anon. You should also give them new options of Bardic Warrior, Sorcerous Warrior, Sage Warrior, and Pact Warrior for Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard, and Warlock cantrips.
>>
Anyone have anything good to say about Strongholds & Followers/Acquisitions Incorporated or is it all shit?
>>
>my friend won't stop talking about critical role
>watch a few highlight clips, seems okay
>start watching the actual episodes
>these faggots do the finger snapping instead of clapping and one has pastel hair contantly
How do you people do it?
>>
>>76079200
>Strongholds & Followers
Probably the most fleshed out base-building info in 5e.
>Acquisitions Incorporated
Memes.
>>
/5eg/, for what reason would a demon prince who is farming people to eat their souls have the males castrated at birth?

this isn't a fetish thing for the record. my setting is just inspired by jewish gnosticism
>>
>>76079211
What do you mean you people?
>>
>>76079178
>lore if it doesn't fulfill the fantasy of a werewolf.
The point is you're looking for the werewolf fantasy in a race that isn't even meant to be fulfilling the fantasy of a full werewolf. That's what the lycanthropy rules are technically there for.
>>
File: 1604855313542.png (215 KB, 640x594)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>>76079211
Hating popular things doesn't make you interesting.
>>
>>76079211
No one on 4chan actually likes Critical Role.
>>
File: 1566259089221.jpg (255 KB, 935x778)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
>>76079217
>>
>>76079217
>is farming people to eat their souls have the males castrated at birth
This sounds like the exact opposite of what they should do
>>
>>76079217
>have the males castrated at birth
Do you mean circumcised? Because castrating males at birth is a good way to get flabby-necked girly bois for one single generation and then no more children.
>>
>Human (Mark of the Sentinel)
>Druid
What's a good backstory for this?
>>
>>76079221
Then what is the point of wasting book space on path of the beast? I'm pretty sure most people looking for werewolf vibes want "Half man, half beast", not "Fifteen sixteenths Man, one sixteenth beast" or "Man, and Onions beast".

PoTB was supposed to be there for players who want to play werewolf without the OP resistances. But they couldn't even get the ribbon features right.
>>
>>76079253
>i was born into a druidic society
>i also have this weird birthmark that i have no control over and shouldn't influence my backstory in any way
>>
>>76079217
They need the cursed voices of a choir of soulless castrati to fuel the magic of some magical megaweapon or dark ritual.
>>
>>76079217
Because people don't have souls until they're baptized, and demons can't be near baptisms, so they can't really handle newborns.
>>
>>76079089
>The PC one doesn't have the humanoid restriction, but it does say race, and werewolf isn't a race.
>>You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your game statistics change

hey, thanks for pulling out the exact line I was looking for.

>you can

Is an allowance, it's not a law. YOU choose the appearance. Moreover, it specifically states race and does not state humanoid meaning you can change your appearance to match fiend races so long as you adhere to the same number of limbs RULE. You can try and claim there isn't such a demon in the multiverse that doesn't have the appearance of a werewolf, despite gnolls existing and being similar

>Shapechanger.
>You determine the specifics of the changes
>You can make yourself appear as a member of another race
>You can't duplicate the appearance of a creature you've never seen
>You must adopt a form that has the same basic arrangement of limbs that you have

Number three is the only thing that stands in your way and that is easily solved by talking to your DM
>>
>>76079217
Innocence. If you prevent them from ever having sexual thoughts at all it makes the soul all the more sweeter.
>>
>>76079256
>Then what is the point of wasting book space on path of the beast?
Because they had the idea and enough people liked it to warrant printing it? IIRC the response to it was pretty positive and it's once again another way to get Werewolf vibes without the implications of full on lycanthropy
>>
>>76079253
Your brother is some kind of sadist who kept you locked in a barred room after your parents died when he was 4 and your character was 2. Your parents were 18 when they died. Your brother also prostituted you, abused you, and sold you into slavery at points. You also had an abusive uncle who sexually abused you. You were basically starved the whole time. And the government knew but wouldn't help because they were afraid of your powers. Also you were experimented on so now you're infertile.
>>
>>76079274
Sure, still, it would be Oberoni's fFallacy to think that solves PoTB's lack of necessary ribbons to emulate lycanthropy.
>>76079291
Eh, it's true, maybe not everybody is a nutjob for Shapechange on werewolf.

But I am.
>>
>>76079142

clerics have shield, light, medium armor, and simple weapon proficiencies
favored soul also gets an extra attack that neither sorcerer nor cleric gets
>>
>>76079239
I know. I'm trying to come up with an explanation. My idea is that he only allows his priesthood to reproduce and uses it as a way to force people to form pacts with him and minimize the chance that children will be raised as dissidents

>>76079247
it's specifically castration, not circumcision. I'm not going to demonize circumcision and have no reason to include it in a setting, but castration is more noticeable due to the hormonal imbalances and it's also seen as much more fucked up

>>76079269
hm. maybe?

>>76079272
why are we bringing baptisms into this?

>>76079275
that one actually makes sense
>>
File: Spoiler Image (59 KB, 303x311)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
What's something a player or GM says that immediately makes you react like pic related?
>>
Star druid of Twilight cleric? I can't choose.
>>
>>76079359
Gestalt
>>
>>76079345
>"So what do you want to do?"
>"I roll X to Y"
>>
>>76079359
consult the night sky for advice
>>
>>76079345
>Sneak Attack is way too strong
>>
>>76079306
>Oberoni's Fallacy
Lol I know what Reddit thread you were recently browsing.
>>
>>76079306
>Sure, still, it would be Oberoni's fallacy to think that solves PoTB's lack of necessary ribbons to emulate lycanthropy.
No, anon, shapechanger is exactly what you want

>human form
>Werewolf form

There. You have it. No limitations on transformations uses, transformation times, or places.
Everything else is on you, the roleplay, how people see you etc.
>>
>>76079359
Stars Druid here, it is fun as heck.
>>
>>76079402
post it, do it

do it
>>
>>76079413
is it fun or is it powerful?
>>
>>76079359
Twilight Cleric seems better, but that's mostly because I can't really get into Druid. What exactly does the Star Druid even do? Shoots little pewpews with a Bonus Action, does Guiding Bolt twice, and then adds or subtracts a d6 now and then? Fucking meh.
>>
>>76079413
what's your normal go to in combat?
>>
>>76079402
Are you trying to stifle my criticisms with a reddit strawman?
>>
>>76079427
No, I'm not a part of your wolf pissing argument, I'm just smiling to myself because I saw that phrase for the first time today and now here it is again.
>>
>>76079229
Is there anything good to watch then?
>>
> Full of Stars TCE p38
>14th-level Circle of the Stars feature
>While in your Starry Form, you become partially incorporeal, giving you resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
>tfw this fucking rekts War Cleric 17TH Class FEATURE by not having the phase "non-magical" in its description
The power-creep is real.
>>
>>76079440
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Oberoni_Fallacy
>>
>>76079408

I guess, if I ever stop perma dming I can make whoever DMs let me refluff basically everything about changelings, especially the true form is twink albino part

I still HATE that I have to get the whole shapechanging package for it.

Honestly, I think I like Custom Lineage with shapechanging sneaked in better.
>>
>>76079450
Your finances. Your company website for promotion opportunities.
>>
>>76079450
Nope. I have never found an RPG podcast that was actually good. If they're lively and animated, they don't give a fuck about rules and gameplay and it's not satisfying from a gaming perspective. If they're serious about gaming then they're dry and boring.
>>
>>76079427
Why would he being trying to stifle your criticisms when he's acknowledging he too was on reddit.
>>
>>76079345
Anything about critical fumbles that isn't unmitigated scorn. Actually, bringing up the subject at all is a pretty good way of outing yourself as an idiot. SHUT UP
>>
>>76079474
anon, the thing about fluff is that you don't NEED to do anything
>>
>>76079472
Yeah, I...I know, I just told you that I learned about it today from the Reddit thread I assume you saw.
>>
>>76079474
>Honestly, I think I like Custom Lineage with shapechanging sneaked in better.
I literally said that to make fun of you because it's 100% nothing. It doesn't give you shit. It's exactly as meaningful as saying "I'm an Elf but whenever I want I get hairy and wolfy."
>>
>>76079472
>le Oberoni Fallaceloni
>>
>>76079471
Nah, man, it's just that War Clerics are gay. Star Druids aren't gay, ergo their feature is better.
>>
>>76079440
>>76079490
I was trying to be funny because the reddit thread was about dismissing criticism and I thought that acknowledging the thread topic while also implying reddit is for fags would be a nice joke but I'm too stupid
>>
>>76079499
Yeah but what I meanis that if I go the changeling route I either have to use my incredibly useful at will alter self, which means the character isn't as linked with their werewolf form, it's just another card in their deck, so to speak. Or just ignore it and nerf myself. So CL PoTB with werewolf only shapechanging me likey more

That's all.
>>
>>76079537
Ah, I'm a smoothbrain and didn't connect the dots.
>>
Is an item that gives permanent Mind Blank suitable for late tier 3 play?
>>
>>76079550
No anon, I'm the retarded one
>>
how expensive would you price the magic tattoos at?
>>
>>76079426
It depends. If I go early I like to pop Entangle or Faerie Fire and pop the Dragon constellation for concentration stability. If I need to go full on damage I can either go Guiding Bolt into Archer constellation or do the Archer first and engage in melee with Shillelagh (I'm getting Magic Initiate at 4 for Booming Blade), and if you need to heal Chalice constellation lets you be a discount life cleric. Its pretty neat so far.
>>
Okay, enough about furfag lycans, let's talk about something INTERESTING

Giant frog warrior sidekick, is it better to go DEX or STR? Because technically you can use their bites with DEX, and also their first ASI with dex you can up another stat too because it's odd. Although STR I'd wager gives you stronger grapple DCs and good unarmed dmg for when they can't bite
>>
>>76079568

50% more than scrolls
>>
>>76079568
25% less than staves
>>
>>76079555
Not really. Nondetection maybe but Mind Blank is 8th level.
>>
>>76079568
Depends on how the economy in your game is going.
Selling magic items to players is inane.
>>
>>76079542
yes, it all relies on your roleplay

your werewolf form is as important as you make it, and yes you can simply ignore your ability to be able to change into otherthings
>>
>>76079569
What's your characters backstory? How're you fitting star themes into it?
>>
>>76079604
Anon... Tier 3 is at least level 11... Way past 8th level...
>>
>>76079319
Would it have been more balanced without the Domain Spells?
>>
>>76079620
?
8th level spell or level 15 character level, anon, don't be silly.
>>
Redpill me on Create Bonfire.
>>
>>76079620
Spicy b8, retard.
>>
>>76079615
I don't see the roleplay skill on my character sheet. Is this some critical role shit?
>>
>>76079612
That's only because WoTC keeps making it retarded.
>>
>>76079633
Meh. It's tiny crowd control as a cantrip, which is good, but weak damage and a Dex save which is bad. And easily avoided. And worst of all Concentration.
>>
>>76079633
It's not firebolt and it's a dex save, otherwise is really fucking good
The biggest problem is that it doesn't state it gives off light
>>
>>76079633
It only really shines if you need to hold off a door from enemies but don't have time to do any more proper barricades
>>
Is Mind Sliver the best standalone cantrip in the game?
>>
>>76079664

EB
FB
RoF
ToD
are all pretty good in their own right
>>
>>76079664
Yes
>>
>>76079673
>Toll of Dead
>>
>>76079682
1d12 isn't anything to sneeze at
>>
>>76079682
What's wrong with a WIS saving throw anon? odds are a cleric isn't going first on the initiative order and it still gives you healing words BA
>>
>>76079689
>>76079697
It's "Toll the Dead" not "Toll of Dead" is what anon is getting at.
>>
>>76079424
Its no Moon Druid but it seems strong. Lots of good class features that synergize well with the spell list.

>>76079619
I don't want to attentionwhore too much in the thread but I'm a lizardfolk who survived a childhood disease and has great faith in fate and prophecy. To be honest its very basic. If you want to look at my low effort backstory here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1sGzz5hoPQncQdEJEaevPfofU7ORYZYvEGxBdcYe-w/edit?usp=drivesdk
>>
File: 1604996721106.png (597 KB, 816x458)
597 KB
597 KB PNG
>>76079704
>>
File: 1605692189328.jpg (368 KB, 720x710)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>76079721
Incredibly based.
>>
>>76079633
>Doesn't give off light
>Only lasts 1 minute so you can't make your party comfy during cold short rests
Shit/10 would never tell campfire stories around it
>>
>>76079633
The party in the game I run named their adventuring group after it, it started with a fighter, wizard and monk who would chokepoint with the campfire and just team shove/knockback people into and through it over and over..

They're called "the defenders of the hearth" now. I love it.
>>
>>76079766
If you cast it every minute for 24 hours then it becomes a nonmagical campfire.
>>
How do you scout correctly? What's the actual purpose of a scout? You walk into an enemy location, try not to get seen, and then go back to tell everyone the stuff they're about to see in three seconds. What does that actually do for a party?
>>
>>76079766
>>Only lasts 1 minute so you can't make your party comfy during cold short rests
facts. My first time playing D&D and I wanted to do just that but read the spell and got disappointed. Chose prestidigitation instead.
>>
>>76079766
If your DM plays it RAW, your DM is a bitch and worse than WotC.
>>
>>76079766
How the fuck does it not give off light
>>
>>76079778
>durrrrrr why get prior knowledge????
RL barbarian detected.
>>
>>76079778
Bro come on
>>
>>76079766
Only a stupid cunt dm would make a magical fire that BURNS YOU not emit heat and light
>>
>>76079778
So you know what enemies or traps are about to come at you, allowing you to fuck up their plans.
>>
>>76079778
You lob a Firebolt in the dark, since it gives off light, see what comes out and then you run back to your party.
>>
>>76079789
Because WoTC says it doesn't.
>>
>>76079789
>>
>>76079789
spells only do what they say
>>
>>76079789
5e insists on spells only doing exactly what they say and nothing else. This applies to all aspects of them.

That means if your fire doesn't specifically state it gives off light or ignites flammable objects, it does neither by RAW.
>>
>>76079793
>>76079799
>>76079806
Exactly how is your battle plan going to change from knowing "there's a bunch of goblins up ahead" compared to "we walk in the room, oh, a bunch of goblins, roll for initiative"?
>>
>>76079766
>The bonfire ignites flammable objects in its area that aren't being worn or carried.
You can still make it work by piling some wood around it and lighting up with create bonfire.
>>
>>76079834
Bro come on
>>
>>76079778
you know what weapons your targes might be carrying, who the magic users are, ranged fighters, where there might be potential cover. a plan of attack, line of sight

etc.
etc.
>>
>>76079839
You can do that with Prestidigitation too, plus a hundred other things.
>>
A question. Next game the party (level 3) are going to an abandoned keep after a guy got attacked by "monsters" and I... haven't actually thought of a monster besides animated armor. What are some good "abandoned keep" monsters I can throw at them?
>>
>>76079834
All I'm saying is, if you're playing an Int-dumped Barbarian in every single campaign you join and you know when to keep your fucking mouth shut, you'll do fine.
>>
>>76079850
How do you not learn all those things from entering into combat and seeing the battle map? Like your characters might be responding in a half second but as players at a table you have plenty of time to look it over and be like "okay I'll shoot that guy first because he looks like a caster."
>>
>>76079839
>Create Bonfire doesn't create light
>But if you light up a piece of wood with it it will create light
????
>>
>>76079831
Pretty easy to ignore that if you honestly think that's how it's intended to be played. Just.. don't play it that way.
>>
File: Thicken not Flatten.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>tfw be Transmutation Wizard
>always cast Enlarge on my friends
>"Wow, Anon. I know Wizards can heavy damage dealers, but we're glad you help us by buffing us!"
>tfw size fetish
>>
>>76079858
Female orcs
>>
>>76079861

sounds like meta gaming to me
>>
>>76079858
banshee, animated weapons, kobolds, goblins, skellies
>>
Heard someone was talking shit about RAW. You got a problem?
>>
File: 1603670016867.webm (2.93 MB, 960x960)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>76079869
Based and Architectpilled
>>
>>76079864
>Magical heat source
>Doesn't shed light because it's fucking magical
>Put flammable objects in the heat source
>Objects ignite, shedding light
I don't even run it that way but it makes sense.
>>
>>76079861

some tables don't make battle plans in-between turns because obviously, their characters can't talk in between turns. Its considered meta-gaming.

other people play it like a board game where you obviously take about what the group is going to do as a whole because why the fuck would't you do that?

different strokes
>>
>>76079869
>Transmutation Wizard
I've been told transmutation is shit. How is it working for you?
>>
How do different classes respond to finally getting Wish? IIRC, Arcana Cleric, Genie Warlock, Sorcerer and Wizard get it at 17th, and Bard at 18th.
>>
File: 1605293663876.jpg (127 KB, 828x520)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
What's on your mind, /5eg/?
>>
>>76079885
N-no, Mr Crawford. We were just talking about how we l-love the way cantrips work RAW.

Please sir, would it be o-okay if we received a monk buff? Or maybe an origin spell list for the older sorc- I mean Lesser Wizards?
>>
File: hqdefault (5).jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>76079932
>>
>>76079885
Yes and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it, nerd.
>>
>>76079932
Cast Clone in your hideout before going to bed
>>
>>76079937
I spend way too much time talking and thinking about DnD, I need to get another hobby and also get my Real Life priorities in order because it's sorta falling apart.

But also sessions are invariably the best parts of my week every week so that doesn't help. Time for more theorycrafting I guess
>>
>>76079937
I quit my job almost a year ago to go back to college full time, but my first semester back was ruined by CORONAPOCALYPSE and now my video game backlog has been long since dealt with and I can't leave the house because I live with my grandmother and my D&D group doesn't want the same things out of RPGs that I do so it's usually just frustrating and I never had any actual intentions of completing a degree because this was just a stalling tactic and I'm all out of ideas for what to do with myself and there's still probably another year of stagnation on the horizon KILL ME
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

I roll to seduce the dragon :^)
>>
>>76079965
Sorry, you didn't make the DC. Also, get the fuck out of my house.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>76079972
I roll to seduce you
>>
File: 515909-bigthumbnail.jpg (79 KB, 450x360)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Here's your stronghold and fortress bro
>>
>>76079937
No games.

both I was with fell apart.
>>
>>76079983
oof
>>
File: 2AkZ1iCfnA.jpg (902 KB, 1258x3904)
902 KB
902 KB JPG
how do you work items like this into your campaign? Is it like something you'd find after beating a boss at level 20 or something else?
>>
>>76079983
I'm calling the police.
>>
>>76080053
>description that long
I fucking wouldn't.
>>
>>76080053
I treat them like the Barenziah stones from Skyrim. Cool stuff that exists in the world and the players get rumors about it. Effects don't work until the collection is complete or some shit like that.
>>
>>76079960
As for what to do right now? Nothing, it's just a period of arrested development for everyone. Unless you want to dedicate yourself to studying and exercising there isn't a lot of progress to be made.

Future?
Have you considered the peace corp? Trade school instead of college? If you don't know what you want to do college isn't likely to help.
>>
>>76080053
You wouldn't. These are a weird reference to the Binder class in 3.5, that worked by making pacts with vestiges outside of space for fairly weak at-will powers. One of the custom items for that class were the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar, which were a collection of teeth from each of those vestiges, and if you embedded the tooth into your mouth you got one of that vestige's powers. Dahlver-Nar himself was one of the vestiges, having gone crazy from implanting too many teeth into himself.

Using them like this, as a glorified Bag of Beans, is retarded and a waste of the lore.
>>
>>76079200
Acquisitions Incorporated is a great resource if you want to run a meme campaign (or more likely a meme oneshot)
Otherwise though I can't really imagine using anything from it
>>
>>76080078
Anon, I'm almost 30. I don't "know what I want to do" because there's nothing I want to do. I was hoping to just coast for a few years, with an externalized system to track progress, ie, grades. Suicide is the closest thing I have to a long-term goal, and that's more of a fantasy that I'm too much of a coward to ever actually do.
>>
>>76079937
Had a 3 day episode of panic attacks and got committed to a hospital to monitor my heart, because it wouldn't stop racing. Never experienced anything like that before, always thought panic attacks were fake desu

Decided to drop outta university to focus on my health, focussing on work and games and feeling okay
>>
>>76079906
It is, but it's fun to RP and be a buff bot.
>>
>>76079579
Can sidekicks even take feats?
>>
>>76080099
Fuck Penny Arcade
>>
Rolled 20 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

>>76080062
Rolling to see how many I take down in the ensuing shoot out
>>
File: 1606019714292.jpg (1.02 MB, 2588x2000)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Why are low level encounters always so weird. I mean, sure, you have your goblin scalping exercises, but then you have shit like pic related that wipes out half the party.
>>
File: 1548273521231.gif (836 KB, 512x288)
836 KB
836 KB GIF
>Get two co-workers down to try 5e
>I run a basic session 0 after work in the break room, it's one co-worker's birthday
>He wants to play warforged artificer, uses a pringles can to give himself a robot reverb.
>Totally into it, goes great.
>Drops me off, I go into my place and get him a 10 piece dice set that I have in a little bag
>Give him it for his birthday, huge grin on his face, can't wait for us to play again.
It feels good to get such a strong response for your hobby from someone.
>>
File: 1600130371919.webm (659 KB, 480x600)
659 KB
659 KB WEBM
>>76080161
>>
>>76079937
Wondering what feat I'm going to take on my cleric before session next week, if there is one. Probably gonna go with Fighting Initiate/Interception or Tough to fulfill my role better.

Also Windows force updated to version 2004, there's new (mostly Warning) entries in the event viewer log that I don't recognize which could be problematic, and I'm concerned that when I turn my PC off for the night, something bad will happen or have happened rendering it dead, and it couldn't come at a worse time.
>>
>>76080176
Why are you hunting vampire Zebras?
>>
>Still can't get over how cool Dragon Monk is
Fucking fire and lightning fists, sick as fuck. I have different flavours of it and can't tell which I prefer. I hope no matter what happens to it between now and release it keeps the at will damage type changing
>>
>>76080203
Because FUCK YOU that's why!
>>
Which class do you think has the best set of saves?
Barbarians and Fighters: Str and Con
Wizard and Druid: Wis and Int
Cleric, Paladin, and Warlock: Wis and Cha
Ranger and Monk: Str and Dex
Rogue: Dex and Int
Sorc: Cha and Con
Bard: Cha and Dex
Artificier: Int and Con

Personally, I think anything with a wisdom save comes out on top because of how nasty those spells are. Con and Dex are usually just damage related.
>>
>>76079906
Not that anon but I played one a while back when I wanted to be an alchemist and artificer wasn't out yet, can confirm that the 2nd level feature is shit (takes too long to use and doesn't last long enough to be useful), but the philosopher's stone thing you get later can give you con save proficiencies which is nice, especially since I was mostly passing out buffs so concentration was important
>>
>>76080230
Artificer, Sorc or MAYBE one of the wiz saves.

Artificer and Sorc specifically because con saves are amazing on casters because they need concentration
>>
>Tempest Cleric
>barely any Thunder spells
WOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>76079937
Desperately trying to come up with a new plot direction once my game wraps up it's current arc
I think they might go try to track down some gem dragons but I have no idea what to do with them
>>
>>76080176
Because low level adventurers are weird. Did you know, for instance, that up to AD&D, that low level adventurers were so stupid that they could actually decapitate themselves with their own swords on a bad roll? It's because of their reputation for being cartoonishly incompetent that they get thrown weird enemies and quests like repoing the overdue morgage of the crazy-kobold lady for the bank (then getting beaten up by an old lady armed with a frying pan and a kobold launcher).
>>
>>76080242
advantage on con saves is better
>>
>>76080263
I would like to know more about this kobold launcher
>>
>>76079937
being a writer is stressful and after a year and a half I still can't get excited about it anymore. I'm not sure if dnd is eating up all my creativity, but there's a damn good chance that's the case. i'm just not sure dropping it is the best idea
>>
>>76080230
Rogue.
>>
>>76080283
It was a giant portable slingshot the kobolds had rigged up to a long board (along with crude wing suits) that allowed them to launch themselves into the air where they'd glide down and harass people.
>>
>>76080230
Paladin by virtue of AoC, otherwise Rogue or Sorc
>>
Ooze familiar when?
>>
>>76080272
And both is great, why stop at one?

And proficiency becomes better late game
>>
>>76080230
My homebrew class called "Godslayer" he has CON and WIS saves and also CHA at level 7 also you can increase any stat by 1 every even numbered level and at level 11 you get to add your CON modifier to all saves and get advantage against magic
>>
>>76080230
Warlock, Cleric, and Paladin. Wisdom is great for obvious reasons. Charisma is arguably the most common of the three lesser saves. imo, Con saves aren't that important for a caster because 1) every caster sans maybe cleric shouldn't be in a position where they can be readily hit, and 2) you're probably going to want to take war caster anyway thanks to its other perks
>>
>>76080352
if you were in the AL you could have gotten a free oblex spawn familiar like a month or two ago
>>
>>76080204
It's just energy type damage instead of bludgeoning. Just take nature cleric levels on a 4 elements monk.

The wings are cool but implemented so stupid as to be WTF levels of incompetence you come to expect from WotC.

The two top tier abilities are fucking nuts though. Elemental aura damage when struck 30' aura. And walking elemental damage explosion.
>>
>>76080361
I think Strength saves are more common, but the consequences for failing are also usually much lesser, like just falling prone or getting grappled. Int saves are only really useful against one monster that you're only likely to see if your DM is going out of his way to punish bad Int
>>
>>76080328
Sounds rad.
I've got a group of kobold thieves that pops up every once in while in my game, maybe I'll have them make a dramatic entry using this someday
>>
>>76080361
>Charisma is arguably the most common of the three lesser saves
It's strength in my experience.

Also while it's nice in theory, "I will just stand back and not get hit" doesn't work very well in practice
>>
File: 1534489569859.jpg (26 KB, 400x280)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>76079937
I've finally been invited to play DND with people and I really don't want to be an annoying fuckup who doesn't know what's going on. Lurking these threads hard now in preparation.
Trying my best to fill out a character sheet using the 5e wiki. But there are a LOT of things to learn, at least that's how it feels. The only "experience" I have is reading OOTS a long time ago.
>>
>>76080375
>It's just energy type damage instead of bludgeoning
Yeah and that's cool
>Just take nature cleric levels on a 4 elements monk.
That sounds worse both thematically and mechanically.
>>
>>76080393
Please read the Players Handbook
>>
>>76080053
Items like this are built to be a part of an entire campaign, used by an enemy NPC of some kind or spread across many. Instead of letting them be drawn randomly, assign them to specific NPCs for use in either sowing or implanting. After a couple interactions with these NPCs, the players should not only know how the teeth are meant to work, but also know what's going on with them. That's how I treat most items beyond basic +x items of very rare rarity and beyond as well as spells of 6th level or higher. Spells at that tier aren't commonplace and even learning about some that aren't of legend status takes research. Stuff like forbiddance is just good story fodder for creating interesting circumstances.
>>
>>76080386
True, but there are definitely a lot of instances where casters forget they're casters and are way too close to the action. Sans martial clerics obviously
>>
>>76080401
Except it's even better.
>Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold, fire, or lightning damage (your choice) to the target.

Plus all kinds of cleric melee range spells and buffs.
>>
>>76080447
8 levels in cleric and however many levels in monk is a lot of investment compared to just taking a subclass at level 3.
>>
>>76080379
True. Whereas a failed charisma save could mean getting banished or baned, depending on the type of enemy you're fighting
>>
>>76080447
If you're going all the way to 8 on a cleric subclass that's eh why even bother going monk? That's 8 levels for a once per turn 1d8 of a lesser range of damage types. In exchange for less ki on one of the most ki hungry subclasses that's already considered poor. You may as well go Dragon/Tempest for at will lightning pushing and a new type of elemental damage
>>
File: 1601575738825.webm (1.72 MB, 496x569)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB WEBM
>ring of protection at level 2
>>
>>76080486
>Dragon Monk/Tempest Cleric
>Punch someone with lightning before it echoes with thunder and they get knocked back 10 feet.
Extremely cool
>>
>>76080498

>levle 3 artificer armorer
>thudner punch someone
>they move
>the thunder reverberates again
>>
/5eg/, to make a prosthetic arm a bit more fun, what do you think of these rules

>when you crit fail a str/dex save/check/attack (other than initiative) the arm falls off
>>
>>76080554
who is that more fun for?
>>
There are 65 dex save spells, 63 con, 54 wisdom, 21 strength, 17 charisma, and 11 intelligence.
>>
File: 1579977892011.jpg (25 KB, 380x404)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>76079937
It's always the same people. Either they don't show up, or they're pissy, or they're tired. I've talked to the DM about it and they won't talk with these players. All I want is to get to game night and have it actually happen instead of getting canceled last minute. I think it's time I just left the group and stop wasting my time.
>>
>>76080558
me, the guy whose character has a prosthetic arm and who thinks it not having an in-game penalty is boring
>>
>>76080573
good idea, make your own game and DM it

and invite me
>>
>>76080574
then do it.
>>
dumb question, but why is bane a charisma spell and not a wisdom spell?
>>
>>76080589
You're affecting the creature's presence in the world, not its mind.
>>
>>76080589
It's extremely painful for you
>>
>>76080589
Do you feel like Wisdom should be in charge?
>>
>>76079937
Been thinking about my second game, there's people who I promised to let play i no longer think will be a good fit. I haven't even started filling out the hexes yet on the map.
>>
>>76080554
That sounds like it encourages "Le epic natty 1" stories as well as being dumb.

How shit is your arm if there's AT LEAST a 5% chance of it falling off every 6 seconds?
>>
>>76080589
It doesn't matter what is save is, what matter is it's effect.
>>
>>76080589
A better question is why you would ever cast Bane over Bless unless you have only one other party member.
>>
>>76080569
less str than I would have guessed and more con/cha that I would have guessed.
Is there any good reason not to dump INT in 5e yet aside from the party wizard who needs it?
>>
>>76080636
Because giving a penalty to enemy saving throws is generally a good thing?
>>
You know what? I just realized I'm being a dumbass. There's literally no way the character I want to play isn't an artificer 2/eldritch knight x
>>
>>76080638
Nope. It's the best stat to dump.
>>
>>76078868
I just want my dm to not take 10 minutes to set up initiative on encounter plus
>>
>>76080638
nobody wants to play as a retard.
>>
the lame way unfortunatly
>>
>>76080648
This. I played 8 int once and it wasnt fun, it made me feel like an asshole whenever I tried to do anything that wasnt retarded.
>>
>>76080645
this is what everyone has figured.
Had a game where the average int was 10.4 across 7 players, what a fucking joke.
>>76080648
>>76080670
do your DMs actually enforce low int decisions? In every game I've played where people dump int they just act normal except for when there are riddles/puzzles then they suddenly drop back to 8 int.
>>
>>76080670
8’s not retarded, mechanically, it’s slightly below average. 6 or below is
>>
>I wish for a magic credit card with a balance of 25,000 gp
do you think the magic shop will accept it?
>>
>>76080687
At this point I've just told my players to treat "int" as academic learning/ability and move on. It's that or end up with retard characters who aren't actually retards because nobody plays them like that. Honestly, the 6 stats feel like a massive holy bovine at this point, and while they serve their purpose they are very annoying. Especially when they're so fucking imbalanced.
>>
>>76080638
>>76080645
>>76080648
>>76080670

I've never played with less than 10 int, I actually dump CHA most often.
>>
>>76080695
Pretty sure 6 is where you enter the category of intelligent animals (monkeys mainly). Although a bunch of other intelligent animals have much lower int so who knows.
>>
>>76080701
Dex and charisma are way too fucking good for various reasons
>>
>>76080718
6 is where learning to read isn't a possibility I feel
>>
>Need spellcasting for Eldritch Adept
God forbid the martials want some of that out of combat utility
>>
>>76080704
yeah I've dumped cha more than int, I really hate cha as a stat it's just so vague and unnecessary.
>>
>>76080704
I would dump CHA more often if I didn't enjoy CHA classes as much, jesus fuck give us more INT casting, we do not need 5/13 of the classes to use CHA as the casting stat
>>
>>76080761
time for a hexblade dip
>>
>>76080761
>some of that out of combat utility
What fucking combat utility could a martial possibly get from EI
>>
>>76080718
6 is the level of Apes, but also Gnolls. It basically is animal-tier. Lizardfolk in the Monster Manual are 7, which seems like the lowest you can go while still having enough to build a society with.

8 Int wouldn't necessarily be retarded, but would be close to a bronze age commoner in terms of worldly knowledge, which is to say drastically wrong about everything. They don't need a safety helmet, and they'll be able to attain some mastery over skills. They could forge a sword or ride a horse if they've learned how, but any greater degree of problem solving would be lost on them. One who's a mason might be able to help build a wall, but couldn't tell you what a good place for a fortification would be. Or they will tell you, and it'll be completely off base because they've got a -1 to History knowledge and don't know the first thing about large scale warfare.
>>
>>76080750
Had a quick look through the bestiary on 5etools and some examples I got were:
Elephant: 3
Horses: 2
Octopus:3
Big Cats: 2
Bears 2
Ape: 6
Giant Ape 7
BIrds: 2
Giant Eagle 8, G.Owl 8, G.Vulture 6
Elk 2, G. Elk 7
Orc 7

So yeah, most animals (including giants) are around 2 or 3, with Apes being really high up at 6. But there's also quite a few giant variants that hit relatively high int numbers at 6, 7 or 8.
>>
>>76080798
>elephants
>3
What the fuck, elephants are the third smartest animals behind monkeys and dolphins.
>>
>>76080787
At Will Silent Image, Disguise Self, Detect Magic or Speak with Animals. Or Eyes of the Rune Keeper.

They're not huge, but they're nice utility. Sucks that WotC said "You have to be a caster with access to utility if you want more".
>>
>>76080646
>encounter plus
what is that now? i honestly dont understand why you need elaborate systems to track your initiative or something. just ask your players for their roll and note it down from top to bottom. done.
>>
>>76080809
Yeah that one threw me too. Killer Whales had a low int score too.
>>
>>76080809
what about dogs and pigs? and ravens/crows/macaws?
>>
Would allowing players to cast a spell that usually takes an action as a bonus Action if they upcast it be balanced?
>>
>>76080815
How the fuck are those combat utility, though?
>>
>>76080798
>including orcs on the list
kek
>>
>>76080830
Reread my post, anon. I said OUT OF combat utility
>>
>>76080824
Instead of getting the high spell rank benefits? Eg Fireball at 4th or 5th level is still 8d6? No clue, but my gut feeling says it would probably be okay for most spells, given the 1 spell per player turn hard limit. If you mean get the higher level benefits AND can BA it, then no, that's bullshit sarge.
>>
File: 1547697371155.png (820 KB, 600x800)
820 KB
820 KB PNG
>>76080824
you mean quicken it with the usual restrictions and as a cost, they upcast it with no usual upcast benefits?
well, it kinda sucks to give everyone parts of sorcerer's defining class feature. but wotc already does that on the regular. so go ahead
>>
>>76080820
Boars and Ravens are both 2. Giant boars are also only 2, but Ravens go up to 6.

>>76080809
Elephants, Octopi, and other notably smart animals should really hit 5 or 6. It wouldn't really unbalance them in terms of combat prowess either way.

>>76080798
I would point out that Giant Eagles, Giant Owls, and Giant Elk all have their own 'racial' languages, as well as understanding a couple of others. If I had to guess for Eagles, it's due to Lord of the Rings, but I'm at a loss for the others.
>>
>>76080824
In a sense, it can be, unless they've got an extra attack feature. Bonus action casting limits your other spellcasting during that turn, so if someone tries to gish and has multiattack AND casts a spell just by upcasting, then yeah that's not balanced at all. I'd say don't attempt it.
>>76080820
I dunno about pigs, but current research into dogs actually shows they have the ability to cognitively recall timing and even can be trained to express more than basic ideas. Ravens are clever tool users and exploiters of circumstance, but elephants have a form of communication and dialect that is distinct between species. An asian elephant can't understand an african elephant. They also observe funerary rites for their dead and have remarkable memory.
>>
>>76080844
Checked. Yeah I figured the giant flyers thing was based in Tolkien. But yeah, with the int distribution being all over the place I find it really hard to rule int as being a 1:1 indicator of character intellect and mental capacity.
>>
File: 1570054601080.png (412 KB, 480x610)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>76080835
I'm fucking blind, gomen nasorry.
>>
>>76080844
>but I'm at a loss for the others.
for spells like Comprehend Languages perhaps? so you can eavesdrop on an elk discussion?
i wouldve guessed it's so that ranger with favored enemy beasts gets a language to learn but given their treatment of ranger, i doubt that. it's probably just for the spells, cause wizards.
>>
I threw one of my player's dogs across the room by accident and it's head got smashed. How do I make it up to him in game?
>>
>>76080919
How badly did you injure the dog?
>>
/5eg/, what's the correct level to switch into eldritch knight from armorer?
>>
>>76080922
It isn't responding to anything
>>
>>76080926
3? The armor and a couple infusions is plenty.
>>
>>76080919
>by accident
How?
>>
>>76080929
Make a dungeon where all the enemies are dogs?
>>
>>76080935
Bit my hand and I reacted by instinct
>>
How is 5etools legal? Can someone report this shit for copyright infringing
>>
>>76080950
Well if their dog is lacking in discipline and bites you, you're not at fault. Still, if his dog is dead, I doubt anything in DnD will make it up to him. Nothing to but say you're sorry, it was accident, and let him be until he's ready to move on. That or buy him a cat and laugh.
>>
>>76080798
Dolphins are 6, elephants 3 (so are mammoths), that's not fair - they don't even have Wis either.

What's the deal with giant elk?
>>
File: 5etools.png (17 KB, 955x76)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>76080956
disclaimer LOL
>>
>>76080857
It does feel a bit all-over the place, but I think there are some patterns to note. You have quite a few creatures with pack-tactics sitting at 3 or 4 Int, which seems like the baseline for animals to start to group up and hunt in packs. Blood Hawks, Wolves and Dire Wolves, Velociraptors, and Lions, to name a few. The notable exceptions are Vultures and Hyenas, which sit at 2, but they're pack scavengers rather than pack hunters, so that may play a factor.

At Int 5 and 6 you start to see some of the smartest real life animals as well as some of the dumbest creatures that still qualify as races. Ogres and Gnolls are here, as well as Apes, Dolphins, and the giant versions of vultures and ravens. I think this is the point where you see more advanced communication and tool use popping up, as both Ogres and Gnolls can speak, and Giant Ravens and Vultures can both understand common. Apes and Dolphins don't have anything listed, but if real life is anything to go by they do know how to communicate among themselves.

7 and above is the point where you start seeing more obviously supernaturally intelligent beasts, along with some of the more rudimentary races that aren't quite to the level of retardation as Ogres or Gnolls. Lizardfolk and Orcs fall at 7, while Kobolds and Thri-Kreen fall at 8. Obviously not races known for their intelligence, but they're certainly known to make their own weapons, prepare traps and ambushes, and generally be capable of at least rudimentary tactics and technology.

I think there is a stratification going on, though it isn't perfectly clear cut. Still, the lowest a PC will typically have is 8, and while they may be simple-minded in some respects, I don't think it falls down into the territory of mental deficiency for a humanoid until you get down to 6. 7 would probably be the Forrest Gump level.
>>
>>76080956
why tho? even if you wouldve bought them digitally, they provide a far, far better service than dndbeyond
>>
>>76079932
If you're a twat wizard you can go full manshoon and use simulacrum and wish/simulacrum to create an instant army. For anyone else they mostly use it to skip material components and cast shit like mighty fortress, raise dead etc
>>
File: psion1.jpg (64 KB, 736x537)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>76078868
> surprises
Not with my precognition.
>>
any good stat blocks out there for a lil rock fella like pic related? i wanna use one for a geologist wizard's familiar
>>
>>76080975
based
>>
File: rudy-siswanto-cu-earth.jpg (325 KB, 1200x1200)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
>>76081120
Here, have a better art
>>
>>76081166
hm i dunno, i like my rock fellas a bit more rock than fella if you get me
>>
File: Spoiler Image (91 KB, 1113x804)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
This is how Halflings look like in my setting.
>>
>>76081120
I'd use a Homunculus as a baseline. Ditch the fly speed, make it immune to exhaustion rather than charm, and give it the False Appearance trait where it can resemble an ordinary rock as long as its not moving. The Bite doesn't really need to be changed since Familiars don't usually attack, but making it a 1d4 damage slam would be more suitable.

That should give it the proper immunities and some decent movement abilities, without being too strong in terms of scouting ability. Being able to disguise as a normal rock is helpful, but it's much more obvious that it doesn't belong if it's moving around.
>>
>>76081200
thats okay since 2 generic shorty races are a bit redundant
>>
>>76079450
Penny arcade c team is pretty good.
>>
>>76081228
yeah i like that, thx
>>
Any ideas for a crit abusing memebuild with the Champion Fighter?
>>
>>76081307
all you really need is
>champ fighter
>half orc
and you're ready to deal some damage
>>
>>76081307
Half Orc with the piercer feat and a pike or lance. If you really want to meme, invest in a Mount and take Dual Wielder for Two Lances.

Each Crit is 4d10 (or 4d12 with a lance) damage. May work better on paladin who gets easier mount access and smite on crits, in exchange for less ASIs
>>
>>76081307
Two-Weapon Fighter Halfling
>>
RAW, is it the nature of a critical hit that makes you hit, or is it the roll of 20? Asking because the Champion fighter can get a crit on a 19. Is that also an automatic hit?
>>
>>76081399
Roll of 20
>>
>>76081399
The crit's nature is an autohit with doubled damage dice and any additional riders you may have for it. The trigger for a critical hit is the 20, extended to 19 and 20 by a Champion's feature.
>>
>>76081399
Critical Hit
>>
>>76081399
No. Only the 20 auto hits.
Read the good book.
>>
>>76081249
>he thinks Halflings and Gnomes are similar in anyway
kek
>>
File: 1604659143723.gif (666 KB, 500x434)
666 KB
666 KB GIF
>>76081433
Yes. They're both subhuman
>>
>>76081399
You'd be hard pressed to find a situation where a roll of 18+ from a Fighter doesn't hit where you don't have far more pressing issues
>>
How do I give my druid a fat ass without it being weird?
>>
If I'm making a warlock PC with a Great Old One pact, is it better if I have the entity aware of my character or have it that my character is so beneath notice that he'd essentially be a mite in comparison?
>>
I've got a player that really wants to do a type of necromancy-bard, I know it's possible with lore bard and such, but are there any better ways of enabling it? I read there were some UA spells, but I can't seem to find them.
>>
>>76081341

this is what I wanna do but with a heavy crossbow instead
>>
>>76081551
I think deep down you already know the answer.
>>
>>76081660
Thanks niggerman.
>>
>>76080701
I mean if you think of 10 INT being the Fantasy equivalent to 100 IQ today, 8 INT wouldn't be that much stupider than average. Still very much functional but some more advanced concepts might escape their grasp.
>>
I'm wanting to make a solo caster boss for my campaign. I feel like selecting some really effective defensive and evasive spells to try and make a real challenge for the party. I'm worried though that this may be too powerful and will just end up annoying. How do you tread the line between exasperating and boring with boss fights? I feel like my players will not be happy about being counterspelled or losing track of the enemy as they go invisible and hide.
>>
So where the hell did this sorcerous versatility and magical guidance come from for the sorcerer? Is there a UA source I haven't seen or what?
>>
>>76081734
Simple: Put redshirt enemies in the room too. The party members can hit other shit while he's gone and especially the melee characters can have fun beating them up so they don't leave the table feeling blue-balled. Since melee characters fucking suck against high level casters. Give them something to beat up too.
>>
>>76081767
Yeh giving then something productive would be good cheers
>>
>>76081551
Have him steal the power, and trying to avoid notice by the great old one. Make it so theres days or hours where he can't use his powers at all, or else he risks detection.
>>
>>76081734
minions always help but you can also place hazards in the room

>one wall has a large beast behind a cage trying to get out
>every round it bashes against the cage and shit can happen in the room: debris falls and everyone takes damage/dc check to fall prone/the room shaking releases more minions etc.

if you want to add difficulty/timer/force them to retreat the large beast could break out of its cage after 10 rounds
>>
>>76081456
Any help at all would be appreciated
>>
>>76081456
>>76081820

fucking embrace it
>>
>>76078966
This hurts directly in my soul. I wish I could fucking die.
>>
>>76081820
>>76081456
Don't mention it but draw the character with a fat ass.

The size of your ass isn't a key character trait is it?
>>
>>76078966
>My DM just brought a new player into the campaign
>She is exactly like that

Why do these people pick spellcasters?
>>
File: markløft.webm (2.8 MB, 1280x676)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB WEBM
How would you build a professional strongman character in 5e? Class, race etc.

Obviously the first priority is to reach 20 STR and the second priority is to see how soon you can get beyond 20 STR.
>>
>>76081902

STR and CON
Barbarian
>>
>>76081896
That's why I play a dwarven fighter in our campaign.

>"OK, your turn. What do you do?"
>"I hit the goblin with my hammer."
>rolls a d20 and a d8
>turn is over
>>
>>76081910
This but paladin instead. I still have the simplicity but I also have the option to just nova an enemy dead or cast a simple buff or heal to get someone back.
>>
>>76081902
Make a human monk/barbarian, FIN

Gee anon, that was hard.
>>
File: 1540022220571.jpg (169 KB, 827x1300)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>76081896
>player wants me to make a character for her for a short campaign
>know she's really bad with knowing her spells
>make a level 1 half-orc fighter for her
>great, awesome, can't fuck this up
>2 sessions later players hit level 3
>"I'm going to be an Eldritch Knight!"

I mean build your character how you want but jesus christ I went out of my way to avoid the situation and it still found me
>>
>>76081910
Doesn't that get boring, though? It always seemed to me like playing any fighter other than battlemaster fighter is just dull since it's nothing but auto-attacking.
>>
File: zl4cpdrgbfc11.png (5.65 MB, 3023x3416)
5.65 MB
5.65 MB PNG
>>76081902
>>
>>76081896
>She
Well there's your problem.
>>
do warlocks and sorcerers need to have their arcane focus in hand to cast spells? Can they just wear necklaces?
>>
>>76081943
Eldritch Knight barely gets spells or choices to make for spells
Absorb Elements and Shield and if your adventure lasts long enough to actually get lv2 spells she might un-retard herself
>>
It's my birthday. Have an early thread:
>>76082089
>>76082089
>>76082089
>>
>>76081965
Based incel
>>
>>76079450
Why would you watch other people have fun?
Only the most pathetic shitheads watch CR and the like
>>
>>76079885
Yes, and for your information i also remove poc characters from official modules when i run them
>>
>>76080248
Don't care you're not a wizard
>>
>>76080815
>you have to be a caster if you want to cast spells
Yes
>>
>>76080809
We're talking about the game where killer whales don't have pack tactics
>>
>Allow Dragonborn to use their breath weapon as part of the attack action, for the sake of things like Extra Attack
>Give them proficiency in intimidation
> Give them the claws and unarmored AC from their XGtE feat

Does this at least make the dragonborn feel more desirable to play? It still feels like adding the XGtE feat isn't the solution.
>>
>>76080787
Not getting blinded in darkness, although that's mostly barbarians. I just wanted devil's sight.
>>
>>76081902
goliath totem barbarian, get powerful build, then get the bear totem that doubles your carry weight again.

Congrats you can carry a fucking wagon, hell probably a horse.
>>
>>76078917
They got moved to the homebrew section
>>
>>76078939
Old UA is mostly broken, they didn't know exactly what they were doing with the classes and a lot of homebrewers base themselves on these overpowered classes to make their stuff
>>
>>76079211
>finger snapping instead of clapping
mfw i decided to google it to know what was this about
>>
>>76082565
I'm willing to allow the first. No more.
>>
>>76078966
This, but it's fucking time stories, where the rules fit on a single playing card.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.