[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 96dromg7moo21.png (404 KB, 436x441)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
Started DMing 'Lost Mine of Phandelver' to start getting housemates in DnD over quarantine. One of housemates is a battlemaster that can disarm opponents. Consistently argues that picking up a weapon should cost an action, effectively removing any applicable boss or strong enemy from combat for a full round. Won't listen when I explain how much this breaks action economy, compare it to similar 'maneuvers' or even compromise with allowing attacks of opportunity or costing a bonus action instead. Ends up throwing a fit if pressed, and have to live with him so it's still a part of our games for now.

What is the dumbest house rule your players have tried to argue into being accepted?
>>
>>73487124
>What is the dumbest house rule?
Any
>>
>>73487124
Nat 20/Nat 1 auto success/failure on skill and ability checks. Double point if they break reality in lolsorandum bullshit ways
>>
File: shiggyhouse.jpg (121 KB, 601x601)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>73487124
Imagine being a DM who lets whiny players dictate your rules
>>
>>73487124
>bending/squatting down to pick something up doesn't take any time nor remove any focus from combat, especially when you need to make sure you're grabbing a handle, not a blade
Yeah okay.
>>
>bend down and pick up weapon off the ground in the middle of a fight and while in front of an enemy
>for free
what's even the point?
>>
Critical fails
>>
>>73487124

I mean, being able to pick up a weapon with no action cost makes Disarm kinda worthless unless you've got a free hand of your own to steal the weapon as it won't stop the enemy doing what he's already doing. When many enemies use spells or non-weapon options, making disarm actually have a notable effect doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
>>
>>73487124
So what is disarming for if it doesn't have any cost to undo?
>>
>>73487124
>What is the dumbest house rule your players have tried to argue into being accepted?
Ruling social skill results based on the player's charisma and speech
>>
>>73487173
>>73487174
Did you even read the post? He said it should be a maneuver or allow an attack of opportunity, just that it shouldn't cost an entire action
>>
One of the things I dislike about 5e
>>
>>73487173
I would argue that an Attack Of Opportunity makes the most sense. Your guard is somewhat down and you are temporarily focused on something else.

My players also decides to do this only after he knows if it hits, and it already does extra damage. Instead of granting advantage or imposing disadvantage it effectively takes them out of combat for a full round.
>>
>>73487221
If you don't set the difficulty of a social check based on how reasonable the attempt was, you're a bad GM
>>
>>73487173
>>73487174
>>73487188
RAW, the battle master may use an object interaction (you get one for free, as part of movement) to kick the weapon away. Turning object interaction into an action for everyone is a quick way to make the PCs miserable.
>Want to drink a potion? Okay. Put away your sword. That takes an action. Next turn, you can ready your potion. On turn 3, you may drink the potion.
>>
>>73487248

Alternatively, different object interactions could be more difficult than others. Picking up an object off the ground is different from drawing your sword from its scabbard.
>>
>>73487186
"Oh look, this 5% chance number came up. Well, I guess I don't hit this round and I'll spend my next round picking it back up so I'm gonna watch The Simpsons for the next half an hour."
>>
>>73487248
>reaching into your bag with a free hand and uncorking a potion with the thumb of that hand is the same thing as bending over/squatting to pick up a weapon by the handle
Yeah okay.
>>
>>73487247
An impossible lie is only a -20 modifier. I'm not doing that.
>>
File: yes it can.gif (468 KB, 300x230)
468 KB
468 KB GIF
>>73487336
>>
>>73487336
It's at least as hard, maybe harder, as it requires manual dexterity. If you're wearing thick gloves or gauntlets it might take you several turns to produce a potion from your pack and remove the stopper. It may even be impractical to do at all if it's in a pack on your back.

The players benefit far more from the free object interaction than the baddies ever will. Be thankful. Battle masters are still the best fighter subclass even if disarming attack is situational.
>>
>>73487172
This. Came here to post this because there is no other answer, what kind of a faggot are you, OP?

That said I'm pretty sure it does take an action BTB
>>
>>73487124
>his disarming attack doesn't fling the weapon away several yards
Plebian shit.
>>
>>73487396
It doesn't. Anyone may take a free object interaction as part of their movement. That includes picking up a weapon.
>>
>>73487124
>failed to try not playing D&D
>>
A couple guys in a party i was part of once had a whole schtick with disarming strike on enemies. The battlemaster would disarm and the druid would have a held action ready to use thorn whip on the enemy and pull them away from their weapon. The battlemaster would them go and stand on it.
>>
Suggested to my group that I could roll death saving throws in secret to add tension. All of the group agreed and were super happy to include it, except for this same player. Threw another fit at the table stating that he wanted to roll his own and couldn't understand why him choosing to do his own rolls would be advantageous to him. Had to stay quiet and have the players vote it in as a mandatory rule.

Not that it will ever effect him (Min-Maxed Human Variant Fighter), but still loves to complain about it every time someone else goes down
>>
>>73487124
Simplest solution is to just force the group into lots of encounters with multiple battlemaster fighters who all use disarm.

Listen to them whine how OP it is that it costs an action for them to pick up thwir weapon and remove the rule.

Easy.
>>
>>73487170
This.
>I want to jump to the moon
>NATTY 20
>>
>>73487466
>minmaxing
Okay
>complaining about vanilla rules
Alright
>both at the same time
Turbotard mode engage!
>>
>>73487508
He's also a Dual Wielder. His background is that hes a soldier that likes to fight things...
>>
>>73487506
by jumping off a nearby rock with just enough leverage and the right angle, you manage to get high. Very high, much higher than you even expected as you get about
>3+STRmod
feet into the air before your rapid ascension stops, you hover in the air for a moment, you seem to grace the image of the moon with your fingertips, as you feel the weight of gravity come back down upon you as you turn to see the ground plummeting forward at you. Roll a DEX save.
>>
>>73487414
Okay well in that case OP is just a turbo homo 4000, I stand corrected.
>>
>>73487497
Was going to have him be ambushed in the night. Turn 1, pick up weapon. Turn 2, pick up other weapon. Turn 3, attack!
>>
>>73487124
To be fair it does take a item interaction. More than one of those a turn is a action. If he wants to fuck with them he can disarm them and kick the weapon away as a item interaction.

Though I do want you to keep in mind the flip side of this, if he can just pick the item back up without an action and the fighter can’t do anything to stop it then disarming attack is literally useless.
>>
>>73487170
I can understand when players use them as an excuse to dumb shit but what's wrong with bats 20s and 1s being automatic success and failures?
>>
>>73488457
A player with -2 athletics and acrobatics decides they are going to try to climb a smooth cliff face with no gear and no preparation.

>NATTY TWENNY BAYBEE

The alternative, your character has +9 to acrobatics and tries to ride a unicycle, something they've done a hundred times before.

>1

RNG is fine, but it shouldn't be the only determining factor. This is actually the reason a lot of other tabletops use more d6's for more stats and skills instead of a d20 with modifiers. Bell curves avoid a lot of frustration due to getting unlucky.
>>
>>73487557
Wait, a dual-wielder? Are you calling them a min/maxer because they put 16 in their main stat, chose the dual-wield feat and the dual-wield fighting style? Or is there more to it than that?
>>
>3.5
>magic users must pass skill checks on their spells to cast
>1 is a failure, 20 a crit and a special effect
>dm never realizes wizard and bard had +10 or better on check at level 1
Same shit happened when he wanted to run star wars saga, but it was baked into the system.
>>
>>73488563
Keep it realistic. The player doesn't climb the entire cliff face but he manages to get a hold of it.
>>
>>73487462
Or just mage hand the weapon into the sky
Wizard wins again
>>
>>73488715
would be a shame if that weapon weighed 11 pounds

boy that'd be embarrassing

thankfully only the heavy crossbow and pike weight that much
>>
>>73488715
So the same thing i said only you need to wait for another characters turn and you dont do damage
>>
>>73488563
Mutants and masterminds has a solid solution to the unicycle thing. It lets you treat any skill check as a 10 without needing to roll, but only outside of stressful situations such as combat.
>>
>>73489998
>using 3rd edition's Take 10 or Take 20
>>
>>73488563
Dont let people roll for impossible things. Ofcourse they're gonna think they can succeed
>>
>>73487124
Mix in enemies with natural weapons then.
Spellcasters with foci that can't be disarmed
Two weapon fighters
Grapplers
Summoned weapons
Magic weapons that float
Spiked flail trip fighter

If he wants to break combat with a single shtick and furthermore won't compromise to make things fun, then break his shtick over your knee.
>>
File: majestic wizard goat.jpg (169 KB, 700x875)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>73490190
this

Also, remember that the GM in most systems is always the one who calls for the rolls
Players don't roll to do something- they describe their character doing something and the GM may then call for a roll if the outcome is uncertain
If the outcome is certain one way or the other ("I jump to the moon", "I walk to the other side of this featureless room") then don't roll, it either happens or doesn't
You could also call for a roll if the outcome is certain, but unknown to the players in order psyche them out, but that's up to how the GM wants to play it
>>
>>73487124
I hope your player reads this thread.

If they have a free hand they can pick up the weapon they just disarmed from the enemy for free action. :^)
>>
>>73488563
>your character has +9 to acrobatics and tries to ride a unicycle, something they've done a hundred times before
The answer here is don't have them roll for this. Same thing with actions they do on an everyday basis. If your character has +9 acrobatics, he has good enough balance that he need not roll for using a unicycle, stand on his head, or do a bunch of other things. +9 is like being in the circus.
The key thing is to just set some skill floors for certain actions, then stick with them consistently.
>>73490099
This. 5E has a tendency to make everything more over the top. Rules like this help get through mundane activities that aren't actually epic enough to bother rolling for.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.