[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Class Based Society.png (1.33 MB, 1333x1003)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB PNG
Meaning rather than having the players on some epic quest or dealing directly with the various pursuits of powerful NPC characters whose motives interact they're just people living their lives in a setting that makes that story worthy.

I'm planning on making a sort of dystopia and I want it to play like this because any epic quest would just be shot down immediately and literally by the government and any politicking is neigh impossible in a world with such a singular dominant force. The struggle then is not causing some complete revolution which would be essentially impossible in a short time frame but rather carving out what small good the players can in a cruel world.
>>
>>73486899
that's shadowrun, except that it don't have your stupid one government thing that doesn't make any sense anyway
>>
>>73487025
I did not ask what people thought of the setting, I haven't given much information about the setting at all really. I'm asking how to make a campaign set up to work with little to no overarching plot other than the character's individual motives.
>>
Maybe Blades in the dark? You play criminals in a city with a lot of factions in world where ghosts are real and exist without boundaries in the material world. Each faction has an endgame and motives, so doing anything makes time pass and other people do stuff. Your PCs can be a part of it or just favour a few factions. Keep in mind that character creation already makes you ally and enemy of various groups.
>>
>>73487078
You ever watch Seinfeld?
Do that, except instead of comedy you have your shitty grimdark edge shit.
>>
>>73486899
That's dumb. You never tell a story at it's least interesting point.
>>
>>73486899
Just run it like a Saturday morning cartoon. The characters have some wacky shenanigans and it gets wrapped up at the end of every session or two. Think something like Scooby-doo or Captain Planet
>>73487193
OP isn't trying to tell a story. But also plenty ty of stories start at their lowest point and them build up because that is quite literally the most common way to write a story
>>
>>73487078
only the second part was shitting on the setting, shadowrun it's literally played like you said, you are pretty much a glorified bum living month by month doing odd jobs for people way more powerful than you
>>
>>73487193
I have seen it work several times just not in a tabletop campaign yet. Someone already mentioned Seinfeld. There's the anime the image is from where the whole story surrounds the main character trying to make books in a medieval world. The story isn't less interesting as much as it is far less grand.

>>73487191
Being too edgy would get old really fast. I want to counterbalance it with wholesomeness born of friendships and a sense of solidarity in group suffering. As well nothing is going to be overly gratuitous for no good reason. I'm an optimist crafting a dystopia.
>>
>>73486899
So you want any agency the player express shot down by their environment? What the fuck is the point?
>>
>>73487408
For OP to masturbate over his commentary on human society, of course. Why should it be fun for the players?
>>
File: yes.jpg (40 KB, 647x659)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>73487408
The players want more agency, the society doesn't want to give it to them, conflict ensues. The characters are trying to dodge through this attempted shooting down of their pursuits and make something of themselves together.
>>
>>73487475
>implying anyone would want to play further in a world that denies them agency from the start
>>
>>73487546
>implying player character actions should not have adequate and realistic in world consequences
>>
>>73487569
>being this illiterate

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.